I had a few moments away from work, so I wanted to jot down a quick note. This is a bit of an update to the Tech department.
- Yes, I am aware there are several, lots and lots, massive, and often high volumes of email being sent from the site in relation to story notices and updates.
- Those of you who have sent me the emails, and were polite, and even sorry it happened, I thank you and assure you myself and Chris are working as fast and as often as we can on the site code to fix it.
- Those who were rude, demanded it be fixed this very instant, or did nothing but complain, well you can kiss.. ah never mind, if you cant say nothing nice and all that jazz, it isnt like it was done intentionally or that the coders said, 'Hey wont this be fun..'
- Phoenix is working, we will release the new site as soon as we can. Real life took over, that happens from time to time. I will tell you this much about Phoenix, SIYE will never be the same, in fact the new site is completely recoded by hand. (Thank Chris and his sleepless nights spent on coding it for you, you have no idea how much he loves this site, if there were ever a fan award, he gets it hands down. I count my lucky stars that he is on the Tech staff coding away.)
-  Another note: The stack and stories that are not posted, will be soon. Please keep in mind we do not have several admins to approve stories, and they all work as fast, as hard, and as long as they can. We will approve those stories ASAP. It just takes time. Some days will always be faster than others. I know it can be a royal pain, but it just can't be helped sometimes. So please stop flaming me about it :-)
There you have it a quick note. We are working as fast and as hard as we can and soon the glitch will go away. Instead of killing alerts altogether, they are left on so even if you get up-teen-zillion of them you still get them. :-)
[Edit] I have narrowed down the problem with both the broken submissions, and the broken emails. They are related. Please note the emails will be sent as I attempt to fix this. Some stories will post before the older ones in the stack, it is me doing it so please send all complaints and blames to me :-)
[Edit2] I have fixed the submissions problem. There is a catch. I had to disable the alerts, both fav author and fav story. The alerts were locking the story submissions, either this is due to the sheer volume of people who would get the emails, or it was the size of the story. I don't know yet. Expect alerts to remain offline until I have the time to seriously look at them. I'm sorry for the disappointing resolution, but its the best I can do in one evening. -Steve
[Edit3] Email notifications have been tentatively re-enabled. We are testing a method that will hopefully allow for validation to continue undisturbed, while also allowing email notification to resume. Over the next few days we will be monitoring the emails sent and will suspend the notifications if any problems arise. Thank you for your understanding during this transition. - Chris