"Huh?" Harry's eyes flickered open. He stared at the dormitory door, blinking, wondering if...?
Had he just seen the fringe of a cape whisk from the room? Was it a trailing bit of dream? Or had he just spied... an intruder??
Quietly setting aside his quilts, he slipped from his four-poster, crept to the stairwell, and peered out.
On tip toes, he hastened downward, through the doorway into the dark common room, and...
"It's okay, Harry. It's just me."
"Ginny! What are you doing down here in the pitch black?"
"I, uh, heard some rustling by our dorms..." She lit the tip of her wand, just enough to set a faint glow about her face. "I came down here to take a look, and..."
** ! ** ! ** ! **
What happens next? That was the question!
You have 27 days left to tell us what deeds, scary or sweet, transpire when, late at night, a hooded stranger appears at Harry's bed in Gryffindor Tower and casts a spell; when, another does the same to Ginny; whereafter the mysterious pair meets in the Common Room; and whereunto, after a kiss, they whisper, "That’s done. Now, for the great adventure."
Halloween is almost upon us! What great, eerie fiction might that brew up? Time will tell; time will tell.
Awards will be made for Best Mystery, Most Romantic, Best Overall, and People's Choice. Completed stories must be submitted by midnight, Nov. 15, in order for award announcements to be made on Dec. 1.
Please note rules for challenge stories: submissions must be stand-alone stories that are marked as complete by deadline; stories must be shorter than 20,000 words; R-rated stories are discouraged, and judges are not required to read them.
Please continue to cast your votes for the 2019-1 challenge topics. Additional suggestions are highly encouraged (need to keep the list fresh) but the currently considered entries include:
- Years into their marriage, Ginny discovers something surprising about Harry. Tell us about it.
- Auntie Muriel announces that she will take her tea at the Burrow next Sunday. Excuses fly as everyone tries to avoid attending. Will anyone escape?
- A debilitating accident brings Harry's and Ginny's hectic schedules to a screeching halt. How will things change as the couple adjusts to a slow recovery?
- Times are tense at Grimmauld Place... until Sirius and Lupin start sharing tales of old Marauder Pranks. Suitably inspired, Harry and/or Ginny (you choose) decide(s) to liven things up with a bit of their own mischief.
- Harry walks into the Gryffindor Common Room 10 seconds before Neville is able to ask Ginny to the Yule Ball. What happens next?
- Outside the tent at Bill & Fleur's wedding, Harry finds Ginny, alone, fixing her corsage. A moment he's been dying for but he (and you) must keep it short and sweet.
- Twitter-280 Challenge: mass participation! Your magnus opus must be Harry/Ginny; must be 280 characters or less. Beyond that, anything goes!