Search:

SIYE Time:15:34 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter & the Veil of Shadows
By elaithin

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 306
Summary: Moving on, strange dreams, mysterious newcomers, Death Eaters, the Veil of Shadows, and a little bit of life, laughter and love. Join Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione for their last year at Hogwarts - and the first year of the rest of their lives as they learn that just because Voldemort's gone doesn't mean life's going to be easy!
Hitcount: Story Total: 160793; Chapter Total: 6709





Author's Notes:
Thanks to TeyriJen and Geluf for their quick beta work on this one, the largest chapter yet. Hope you all enjoy! (And remember - hungry authors have to be fed! Reviews are our sustenance! :) )




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twelve - "The Quick and the Dead"

"You don't mind if I join you two, do you?" Harry asked, lugging his trunk and Hedwig onto the train with him asked. "Everywhere else is full..."

"S'no problem," the boy he'd asked answered, and then pointed at his trunk. "Want a hand?"

It was one of the red-haired twins - the boy and girl, - that he'd followed through the barrier. The boy was taller than Harry, and the girl, who was looking at him curiously, was just a few inches shorter. The boy was standing on the seat so he could shove his trunk up onto the shelf. They had to be twins, because they were clearly related - same color of red hair and the same freckles, but they were first years too, he thought. Harry figured this because they looked about the same age as him, and like him, looked just a little bit too nervous for this to be anything but their first time on the train.

"Yes, please," Harry responded eagerly. How in the world was an eleven year old supposed to get a trunk up there on his own? He tilted the end of his trunk up towards the taller redhead and the other boy tried to lift it to no avail.

"Blimey, what've you got in there, everything you own?" the boy asked with a chuckle.

"Actually, yeah," Harry whispered quietly.

"Oh," the boy replied, turning a bright shade of red as he blushed all the way up to his ears. "Uh, sorry."

Harry just shrugged it off.

"Oh, really Ron," the girl said in disgust, and drew her wand. She pointed it at the trunk, gave her wand a swish and a flick and said something that sounded like "Wingardium Leviosa".

Harry stared in amazement as the trunk lifted off the ground, light as a feather, to join the other two already stowed away. "Wow..." he breathed.

The boy frowned. "Ginny, you could have done that for our trunks, you know."

"I know," the girl said, giving Harry a wink. "But it was more fun to watch you do it the other way. And you could've done it too, if you'd thought about it."

Harry laughed. "Say, how did you know how to do that? I thought we couldn't do magic until we got to Hogwarts."

The twins shared a quick look between them. "You're allowed to learn outside of school," the girl explained. "I paid attention to our Mum - a bit more than this git, I'd say."

"You just can't do magic outside of school. Not without getting in loads of trouble," the boy finished, ignoring the latter part of his sister's comment. Harry was beginning to suspect he did that a lot.

"Well, thanks," Harry said, taking in that bit of information. As he did so, he pushed his sweaty hair out of his eyes, brushing it clear of his forehead and inadvertently revealing his scar. After the way people had reacted when Hagrid had taken him to Diagon Alley, he'd taken to brushing his hair down in front of his head, to hide the identifying mark. But the compartment was very hot, and he forgot about it. "That's good to know, I guess. I didn't tell my aunt and uncle we're not allowed outside of school, though. Hagrid said I probably shouldn't."

Harry looked up to see that both redheads were staring open-mouthed at him. "You're Harry Potter!" the boy finally exclaimed.

Harry blushed, and cast his eyes down to the suddenly interesting floor. Were they going to fawn like the people in Diagon Alley did? Harry really hoped he wasn't going to have to deal with that sort of thing all the time. "Erm... yeah."

"Wicked," the boy breathed. The way he said it made Harry smile, and instantly made him feel more at ease - until the boy's sister smacked him soundly in the back of the head. "Oi! What was that for!"

"You're embarrassing him, you git!" the girl said, before turning back to Harry. "I apologize for him. Mum tried to give him manners, really, but it just didn't take. My name's Ginny, Ginny Weasley. This is my idiot brother, Ron."

"Big brother," Ron corrected.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "By two minutes!"

"I'm Harry," Harry interjected, hoping to cut off another sibling confrontation. "Harry Potter. I guess you, ah, know that though."

"Scar's a bit of a giveaway, mate," Ron said sagely.

"So," Harry started, finding he didn't actually mind the attention from these two. Honestly, he found them just as interesting as they found him. "Is your whole family wizards then? You must already know loads of magic."

They talked for quite awhile, Harry asking questions about the wizarding world and their family, and Ron and Ginny asking questions about where he'd been. Both grew excited to find out he'd grown up in the Muggle world, but that lessened with time. He told them little in the way of details about his life with the Dursleys, but they were able to quickly gather that it was not a happy topic. They both assured Harry that he wasn't going to be far behind everyone else - there were apparently plenty of 'Muggle-borns" who went to Hogwarts.

Around half past twelve, there was a great clattering in the corridor, and a round smiling woman slid back the door and looked down at the three of them. "Anything off the cart, dears?"

Harry watched Ron's and Ginny's reactions as they mentioned they'd been sent with food. As with any other eleven-year-olds, roast beef and corned beef sandwiches simply didn't look appetizing in the face of all that candy, and it showed on their faces. Making up his mind quickly, he pulled a fistful of Galleons from his pocket, and looked levelly at the round witch. "We'll take the lot."

Later in his life, Harry would think that all that candy had soundly secured Ron's loyalty right then and there. Ginny, however, was impressed by his willingness to share with two other kids had just met. Harry was just happy to have someone to share it with.

After a time of trying various candies - Harry found Bertie Bott's Every-Flavored Beans both especially fascinating and challenging at the same time, particularly when he discovered a bogey-flavored one - Harry held up another package, labeled 'Chocolate Frogs'. "What are these? They're not really frogs, are they?" Somehow, that wouldn't be a surprise anymore. Indeed, Harry was half-expecting it.


It wasn't even a surprise when the candy frog jumped from the open package, and right out the window.

"Shame, that," Ginny commiserated. "They've only got the one good jump in them."

"Yeah," Ron agreed, and then pointed at the package in Harry's hands, "Hey, see what the card is. I'm missing Agrippa."

"Card?" Harry asked.

"They come with collectible cards of all sorts of famous witches and wizards," Ginny explained, opening one of her own. "Most everybody collect them - Ron's got loads. Oh, I've got Dumbledore again. I was hoping for Gwenog Jones.."

"You've got about six of her!" Ron protested as Harry pulled off his card. There was a picture of a dark-haired witch wearing what looked like a toga. The picture moved at first, which slightly startled Harry until Ginny and Ron explained about wizard photos and paintings. Returning his attention to the card, he scanned his eyes over the text. It read:

Cassandra: A Greek witch who lived in Troy, Cassandra is one of the most famous seers in History. She predicted the downfall and destruction of Troy, though Cassandra also bore a horrible curse: No one believed her prophecies, which were always true. One of her creations inspired the Prophecy Spheres kept within the Department of Mysteries, as she once created a mystical artifact known as the Orb of Cassandra, which was rumored to give -

- - - - - - -

"Oi! Harry, wake up!"

Harry jerked awake to the very rude sound of Ron's voice as the other barged into his bedroom, pounding - loudly - on the door just before he came in. Harry closed his eyes again before the red-headed wizard continued speaking, "We're going to Diagon Alley today, remember? Ginny and 'Mione are coming to meet us in twenty minutes. Get up, y'lazy sod!"

Harry reluctantly opened his eyes once again and rolled over to face the ceiling. For a moment, he thought he saw a blue glow coming from his headboard above him but when he blinked the clear his eyes, the glow was gone. If it had ever even been there in the first place, of course.

Ron was standing by the foot of his bed now, his hand on Harry's shin as he shook his leg, presumably to wake him. He had not yet noticed that Harry's eyes were now open. "Blimey, would you get a move on already?" his so-called friend urged him. Harry thought his friend's impatience was rather rich, considering the source.

Under his pillow, Harry's hand clasped around his wand (the phoenix feather one - putting the Elder Wand under his pillow just seemed like a bad idea) and he narrowed his eyes. Before Ron could do anything about it, Harry had drawn the wand, pointed it at the second-youngest Weasley, and fired off a spell.

Levicorpus, Harry thought with a quick flick. The offending hand was abruptly removed from his leg.

"Oi!" Ron cried in indignation, as he was now upside down a few feet away from Harry's bed. Harry grinned, but he didn't even look at his friend. After a minute or two had passed, Ron spoke again, "All right, mate. You've had your fun. Lemme down."

Silencio, Harry thought with another flick of his wand. Then he closed his eyes and drifted back off into a peaceful sleep. He felt the need to get back to his dream, to see if it would pick up where it had left off. It was an urge he couldn't shake, as though it were somehow important to see what happened next. It was a strange feeling to have about a dream, but Harry's half-asleep brain didn't recognize the notion as an unusual one.

Unfortunately, the dream did not return.

When next Harry awoke, it was to very feminine peals of laughter. Very familiar feminine laughter. Had Ron said something about the girls coming by, earlier? When the noise continued, Harry finally cracked an eye open to find Ginny and Hermione standing at the door to his bedroom.

Well, Hermione was standing. Ginny had slid down the wall, was holding onto her side with one hand while the other was wiping away tears.

Hermione was giving him her best disapproving stare. And, given the practice she'd had on him and Ron over the years - not to mention the lessons that Ron swore she was taking from Molly - Hermione's best disapproving stare was actually pretty damned good.

Well. That's not good. Shouldn't I at least be awake before I'm in trouble for the day? Harry mused.

"Whassamatteryou?" he mumbled into his pillow instead.

"What do you think, Harry?" she said, pointing to something that was hanging in the air a few feet away from the bed. After donning his glasses, he smiled to realize that Ron was still hanging there, upside down and silenced. And he had apparently decided to just sleep the whole thing out. He was even snoring, it looked like - though the silencing spell thankfully blocked that out.

Harry snickered at the sight, earning him a continuance of the disapproving glare from Hermione. "Well, at least I can't hear him snoring. I should've thought of that years ago..."

"Really Harry, it's not funny - a body isn't supposed to be upside down like that for extended periods of time. It could to serious damage to his cardiovascular system. He might even be unconscious, not just sleeping! Well, okay, I know that's not what he looks like he's unconscious, but that's not the point!"

Ginny was still trying to recover her breath. Hermione's tirade caused her to fail.

"S'okay, 'Mione, I'm letting him down now," Harry assured her patiently, regretting for a moment that he didn't have a camera handy. He flicked his wand a few times in order to release spells and Ron fell to the ground like a puppet with cut strings. It was, perhaps, a rude awakening, but Harry considered it a fair trade for Ron's barging in earlier.

"Ow," came Ron's groan from the floor after a few seconds had passed. As Harry stepped out of the bed, he was grateful that he'd slept in a t-shirt along with his boxers - and that he didn't have a morning problem today. Every since his birthday a week ago, his dreams of Ginny had been particularly more active, and after each dream, Harry was forced to conclude more and more that he was a complete and total bloody moron.

As he knew Ginny would agree with him on that score, he had not mentioned it to her. Unfortunately, he hadn't had to - the underlying sexual frustration that was now there every time they even did something as simple as kissed had them both feeling like they were about to explode.

"I told you I'd come and wake up Harry, didn't I?" Ginny finally said to her brother, having found her voice. "You knew you'd probably get hexed."

"Yeah, I know," Ron groused, and fixed a dirty stare on his best mate from his position on the floor.

Harry just grinned back at him. "Sorry, mate," he said. He didn't look sorry at all, but Harry could hardly help that. Harry did manage to refrain from grinning too broadly as he extended a hand to help Ron up.

"I'll get you back, Potter," Ron warned him as he accepted the helping hand. "You just watch."

That time, Harry couldn't stop himself, and he flashed a cheeky grin as he responded, "I await your vengeance at your earliest available opportunity, Mister Weasley."

Ron just muttered something incomprehensible as he and the girls left to allow Harry to get dressed. Ginny started to stay behind, practically sneaking in Harry's direction to get around her brother. Ron simply snaked a hand around hers on his way out so that he could pull the now-pouting girl out of the room along with him.

Harry laughed even harder when he heard Hermione's voice echoed back down the hall, "Ronald, you really should have had your wand with you. You're an Auror now, well, a reserve one at least. You should always be prepared, you could have released yourself at least, then, and -" It sounded as though Hermione was getting a pretty good steam going, actually, before her voice faded down the stairwell.

As he began to get dressed, though, a nagging feeling persisted in tickling at the back of Harry's mind. It was like he'd forgotten something from a dream, and he couldn't shake the notion that it was important somehow. But no matter how hard he thought about it, Harry couldn't bring it to mind, so eventually, the thought was lost in his preparations for the day ahead.

- - - - - -

The foursome flooed into the Leaky Cauldron so that they could gain access to Diagon Alley. They'd have used the one at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, except when they tried, they got a puff a blue smoke that, according to Ron, meant that connection was down for maintenance. It simply wasn't safe to Apparate into such a crowded area as the Alley, and so they'd had to briefly impose on Tom. They briefly ran into Hannah Abbot while there, she was working a summer job as a waitress they learned, because Tom was actually her uncle.

After they said goodbye and moved into Diagon Alley proper, Harry and the others all marveled at how free they were for such a trip. It was a far cry from the last few years, with no Order members for escort, or not even being allowed to go at all, but just having to give Mrs. Weasley a list of the things they needed. Given that Ginny would be of age in only four days, and the war had been over for months, even Molly hadn't thought that they needed an escort. Well, not a security one, at any rate.

Harry had found this particularly surprising, as every single moment he'd been at the Burrow in the week since his birthday, he and Ginny had not been 'allowed' to be alone together. Molly was subtle about it, of course, but there was always, always someone with the two of them.

Ron especially seemed to take great glee in "Harry and Ginny duty."

Harry had been frustrated with it at first, but when he'd gone outside to start chunking garden gnomes over it, she had simply followed him. Well, that and stroked her hand very, very lightly up his arm to be patient. Her birthday, after all, was not that far away, which she pointedly reminded him. On the one hand, just that touch had almost been impossible to bear. But the reminder that the days until her birthday numbered in the single digits...

Well, with that thought, Harry found it much easier to bear up to the presence of their constant chaperones.

Harry enjoyed watching the crowds as they walked, seeing people going about their business with no worry on their features. He listened with half an ear to the ongoing conversation between Ginny, Ron and Hermione, but mostly was distracted by just taking everything in. It all reminded him of his first trip to the Alley with Hagrid. There were a few signs of ongoing reconstruction here and there, but, for the most part it was all blessedly normal. It was hard to tell that so much of this had been abandoned only a few short months ago, he thought as they passed what had used to be Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. It was now a cafe of some sort, but Harry didn't bother to take in the name. It was the fourth new occupant of that space in as many months - Harry didn't care to lay down Galleons on how long it would last.

Even better by Harry's reckoning was that no one seemed to have really noticed his presence. Not even with their quick first stop at Gringotts so that all four could pull out sufficient funds for the school year. He wondered if his change in hairstyle had anything to do with it - every time someone had snagged a picture of him the last few months, it had been hanging loosely about his shoulders. Today, though, it was pulled back in a ponytail, and he was wearing the cap Seamus had gotten him - the non-dirty part of his birthday present - a type of hat that a lot of Irish blokes wore that was apparently called a 'pub cap'. It hid his scar well enough, and between that, the ponytail, and the three or four days of scruff he had, Harry didn't look much like most photos of himself. Who needed concealing and glamour charms when Muggle methods worked so easily?

"This is nice," Harry muttered to himself, not even realizing that he was speaking aloud. "This is how things should be."

Ginny's hand squeezed tightly in his after she watched him observing a mother fussing at her two young children. "You did this, you know," she whispered, giving him a proud smile. "This is why you're famous - this is what you gave back to people. The freedom to go about their lives. A year ago, they couldn't do this - not without worrying if their blood wasn't pure enough, or if they'd be able to hide or hold out long enough. You gave them back hope, Harry, hope that life could be normal."

"Not just me," he corrected. "I hate when people say that, it sounds like I did it all by myself or something, but really, I just - "

"I know," she interrupted, placing a finger on his lips, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "But you handled the hardest part. It's okay to be proud of that, Harry."

He just smiled in return. "I'll try to remember that," he said, giving in. It was a conversation they'd had several times, and one Harry imagined they would continue to have for a long time to come.

"Just don't let it go to your head."

"I'll remember that, too."

Shortly after that, they stopped at the Magical Menagerie in order to get enough food and supplies for Nymphadora, Arnold, Pigwidgeon and Crookshanks for the year. True, they could always get more supplies if they needed them in Hogsmeade, but at Hermione's urging they were all stocking up 'just in case'.

"Just in case of what?" Ron asked.

"Well, you never quite know, do you now?" Hermione said primly, prompting Ron to roll his eyes and Harry and Ginny to laugh.

Harry tried to hold back from laughing even harder as a cat very similar to Crookshanks chased a brown owl inside the magical pet store, spurring a memory as he recalled Hermione's cat's reaction to his new color-changing owl. Pig was fascinated by the new bird, Arnold just avoided it (obviously trying not to become dinner), but Crookshanks - well, he stared disapprovingly whenever Nymphadora did something flamboyant. It made Harry wonder if magical pets were even more prone to resemble their owners than normal ones.

Next was Scrivenshaft's, where Harry had been surprised that they had practically had to drag Ginny out of there once they'd finished shopping. He'd expected to have to drag Hermione out - that was standard fare, after all, but with the redhead it was something of a shock.

After some mild pressuring, Ginny confessed she'd recently taken up writing again, short stories mostly, for the first time since her first year at Hogwarts. Harry knew that she'd written a great deal before that, she'd once confessed to him that when she was younger, she'd greatly enjoyed writing stories. The experience with Tom Riddle's diary had soured that for her somewhat, turning a creative outlet into a private demon. That demon had begun to lose its hold, however, and as such, she came out of Scrivenshaft's with quite a varied selection of quills, ink and parchment. Harry just smiled and kissed her on top of her head before he helped put everything into the knapsack Hermione had charmed for them to carry everything in. He didn't want to say it here, but he was incredibly proud to see Ginny putting her experience with Tom Riddle's diary behind her, and it only contributed to the feeling of freedom, of new beginnings that had settled in on him from the moment they'd set foot into Diagon Alley.

They even stopped by Pottidge's Cauldron Shop, as Harry had to replace his. He still hadn't gotten the rest of his possessions from Dudley, and Harry felt he might as well just buy a new cauldron and scales instead of collecting his old school things. Harry might have settled things with his cousin, but he didn't feel any great need to return to Privet Drive. Everything important to him he had taken when he left there for the last time. The rest of it - well, he'd just rather replace it.

Ginny and Ron bought new things as well - they were doing that everywhere. This was, after all, their first trip buying school supplies where money was not an issue. Harry's gift to all the Weasleys would more than cover the cost of a year's school supplies. And then some.

Ron, Harry and Ginny all got a good laugh - and even Hermione couldn't maintain a straight face - when they saw the posted sign stating that all Pottidge's brand cauldrons were compliant with the Crouch-Weasley Cauldron Bottom Act of 1994.

They also stopped by Slug & Jigger's Apothecary, as everyone needed a completely new set of potions supplies. With the new text written by Slughorn from Professor Snape's notes, the Potions curriculum had been completely overhauled. Both of the old men that ran the place - Harry was never sure which one was Slug and which one was Jigger - were completely ecstatic at this, as it meant that the entire population of Hogwarts was in need of new sets of potions supplies.

All in all, Harry was becoming very glad that they had the expanded knapsack. Hermione could probably make a fortune selling the things, Harry thought, and resolved to mention the idea to George - if Hermione hadn't already. Odds were that if it had occurred to him, then 'Mione had not only thought of it already, she'd probably made a pro-con list and made up her mind one way or the other.

"Merlin, it feels like we've been here for days," Ron finally groused as they came out of the Apothecary. Harry had to give his friend credit - he'd held out longer than he'd expected him to.

"Oh, don't be silly, Ronald," Hermione shot back, giving her watch a quick check. "It's not even half past ten yet."

"Blimey, that's all?" Ginny asked.

"S'what I'm saying," Ron muttered. "What've we still got to do, then?"

"Umn," Harry paused for a second as he mentally ran down the list. "Madame Malkin's, Flourish and Blott's and we told George we'd stop in on him," he answered.

"And then lunch?" Ron asked hopefully, a gleam in his eye that seemed to only strike when the topic of food arose. "I want to try that new place, the pub that set up in Fortescue's old spot."

"Oh, yes!" Ginny said excitedly, taking Harry a little by surprise that she wasn't taking the mickey out of her brother. "I saw some of their menu - " she started chattering, and Harry and Hermione shared a quick grin.

"Guess we'd better hurry up then," Harry said to his bushy-haired friend, "So we can get our Weasleys fed."

"Indeed," Hermione agreed. "Well, Harry, at least we always know their priorities. You have to grant them that."

"Like you're not hungry," Ginny muttered darkly. "I know you missed breakfast, Potter."

Just then they moved past the offices of the Daily Prophet, and Harry flinched as he saw a crowd of reporters near the door. He'd given a fairly complete interview to the Quibbler back in may on the events of last year - as much as he felt comfortable revealing to the public, at any rate - but that hadn't slowed their hounding of him any. Harry didn't say anything to his friends, as he was hurriedly pulling his the brim of his hat down - to be sure to cover his scar.

It might have worked, if Ron hadn't also seen the gathered reporters that were all moving away from the newspaper's offices. It looked like they were getting some kind of press release, as all were holding parchments and chattering to each other. Hermione saw the evil glint in her boyfriend's eyes, but only a moment's warning was, unfortunately, not enough for her to do anything to stop him.

Ron reached a hand over to the back of Harry's head, quickly yanking off the other's hat. Then he cupped his hands around his mouth and turned towards the crowd.

"Oi! You lot!" Ron called, as Harry's head swiveled towards him in shock. "Look! Harry Potter's right over here!"

Harry fixed a murderous stare on Ron, who was just grinning widely. That, however, was all Harry had time to do before the crowd of reporters descended on them like a herd of Thestrals going after fresh meat. As far as Harry was concerned, the comparison was an apt one.

"Is that Ginny Weasley?" The first reporter, a blonde witch with a nametag reading 'Teen Witch Weekly' asked. "Mr. Potter, is it true you and Miss Weasley are engaged? Or are the rumors true that the two of you eloped to France last week?"

Neither Harry nor Ginny had time to reply before another reporter - this one from the Daily Owl - pointed at his companions. "Look that's Ron Weasley, too, and Hermione Granger!"

Harry had to admit, he enjoyed the shocked expressions on his friend's faces as they were recognized, too. It was the least Ron deserved - hopefully they'd hound him with questions too. That hope proved a forlorn one, however, as most of the questions still ended up being directed Harry's way.

"Mr. Potter, is it true that you and Mr. Weasley have joined the Auror Division? Is there any truth to the rumor that Minister Shacklebolt's asked you to take it over?"

"Yes, Mister Weasley and I are now reserve Aurors, with full status pending our graduation from Hogwarts and completion of the Auror training program. As for taking over the Auror Division, uh, no, there's not. That's completely ridiculous. We're only just eighteen and not even out of sch-" Harry started to reply, before another question cut him off.

Amazingly, the question wasn't for him. "Mr. Weasley, how do you feel at coming in just behind Mr. Potter on Witch Weekly's 'Most Eligible Wizards' list?"

Ron puffed up slightly at that. "I came in behind him?" he asked. "I didn't know that. Hey, who else - "

Ginny and Hermione didn't seem nearly as amused, and they each slipped a possessive arm around the waists of their wizards. "Neither of them is 'eligible' for anything, thank you very much, " Hermione managed to spit out.

It was harder to say what made the female reporter draw back more - the venom in Hermione's voice, or the blazing look coming from the tiny female Weasley. "And you can definitely tell all your readers that," she finished for her bushy-haired friend.

"Harry, do you ever plan to reveal just how you defeated He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?" Harry couldn't see the press ID on this one, so he couldn't tell the publication that the doughy, middle-aged reporter represented.

"His name's Voldemort - or Tom Riddle, if you can't bring yourself to say it," Harry shot back. "If you want me to answer any questions, you'll call him by his name. He's dead. There's no point in fearing him anymore."

"But what if he comes back again?"

"He can't," Harry said flatly, "Look - I gave an interview to the Quibbler about all that already. And I'm not going to tell you exactly what it was I had to find to make Riddle mo - to take his power. I'm sorry, but we just can't risk giving ideas to some other jumped-up Dark Lord-wannabe. Rita Skeeter can cry about it all she wants, but that's a question I'm just not answering."

Most of the assembled reporters laughed - Skeeter wasn't exactly popular among their crowd, either.

"Mr. Potter - is it true you've developed a drinking problem?"

Harry's head jerked back. "Uh.. no..." he trailed. Where the hell had that come from?

"Can you comment on how the war has impacted the wizarding world from an economic standpoint?" That had to have been a reporter from BusinessWizard.

"As I am neither a banker nor a businessman, no," he answered. For some reason, some of the other reporters seemed to take his quick, off the cuff answers as open license to just yell all of their questions out.

"Do you cut your hair yourself, or does someone actually lay claim to that title?"

"Harry, what do you think about the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor this year?"

"Harry, any comments on the rumors coming from Pride of Portree that you turned down a position as Seeker?"

"Harry, isn't it true that Severus Snape was your real father, not James Potter?"

"Harry, is your relationship just a cover-up to conceal your feelings for Ron Weasley?"

Harry and Ron just both sputtered a "What?" at the same time. "Where do you lot come up with some of this stuff? Honestly!" Harry asked, incredulous at the last two questions especially. He wanted to ask some questions of his own about who'd gotten the DADA job, but another reporter - the Witch Weekly lady again - prevented him from asking.

"Harry, is it true you've got a tattoo of a Hungarian Horntail on your chest?"

Ginny laughed the loudest at this last one. Her words to Romilda Vane had apparently traveled far and wide. "No, he doesn't," she replied impishly, drawing a gleeful look from the reporter from Witch Weekly.

"Alright, look," Harry said, holding out his palms. "I respect that I haven't always dealt well with you lot in the past - though to be honest, that's been pretty mutual. Now my friends and I are just here to do our Hogwarts shopping today - yes, we're all going back to finish our educations - so let me make a deal with all of you."

That got their attention. Magical quills all froze, waiting to see what the Boy-Who-Won had to say. "Alright, I'm agreeing to a full press conference, before the start of the school term, where I'll answer as many questions as I can. On one condition: That you leave us in peace today," Harry announced, his tone clear that they would do well to take this 'suggestion'.

There were murmured agreements as some of the reporters started to disperse. A few proved more tenacious, however. "Mr. Potter - did you ever learn how you survived the killing curse as a baby?" one reporter asked, hoping to get at least something quote-worthy out of him.

Harry just drew Ginny to him tighter, and then looked at the reporter before the four of them tried to dash off. "The Beatles said it best," he said with a laugh, and led his girlfriend and friends away from the crowd.

Ginny noticed that Hermione was giggling - and was very aware that neither she nor Ron got the reference. Ron was the one to ask, and he leaned in close to whisper his question. "What the hell's that mean, mate?"

It was Hermione who answered: "All you need is love."

Harry was smiling as they walked away, before one final question froze him in his tracks. "Harry," called out one last reporter, who he recognized as being from the Prophet. Of course. "What do you think of Rita Skeeter's recent announcement of a tell-all biography about you? She's just announced it'll be released on Halloween."

Harry's smile vanished, and he was gratified to see the reporter step back slightly as a very cold expression slid over his features. "I have no comment," he said icily, causing the man to actually take a step back by instinct.

"Of course," the reporter stammered, and left without further encouragement.

Harry immediately went into the next shop door - which was, luckily enough, Madam Malkin's, and held his tirade until he was inside and the other three had joined him. It was not easy, but the last thing he wanted to do was have a temper-tantrum in front of a crowd of reporters.

"Merlin's balls!" he cursed as he started to pace. "That ruddy cow! Who the fuck does she think she is? What gives her - her, of all bloody people the right? "

"I know, mate," Ron chorused. "Where's she get off, writing a book about you?"

"I'm going to, I'm going - well, bloody hell, I don't know what! I'm too mad, I can't even think of what to do the sodding witch!" Harry screamed in frustration, which caused a nearby witch to look disapprovingly at him. "Sorry," he muttered towards the older woman half-heartedly. After taking a few deep breaths, and lowering his voice, Harry then turned to Hermione. "Can't I do something about this?"

"Not legally," she shook her head.

"Doesn't she need my permission or something?"

"Not in the Wizarding world, Harry," Hermione said soothingly. Ron wasn't pacing, but had his arms folded and was tapping his foot as he controlled his own temper- he didn't like Skeeter any more than Harry or the others did, of course, but he could hardly blow up about it when Harry already had. Ginny started running a hand up and down her boyfriend's forearm. She was trying to calm him, of course, Harry knew that, but it was having precious little effect as she was spitting mad herself. She was, however, a lot better at containing her temper than she used to be. Harry had noticed that ever since they'd gotten back together, and he suspected very strongly that her last year at Hogwarts had a great deal to do with it.

"They don't even have slander and libel laws in this world," Hermione finished.

"I sort of figured that after fifth year, 'Mione," Harry grunted. "Bollocks!" he cursed again. "There's got to be something!"

"We'll come up with a plan, Harry," Ginny said, and he could see in her eyes that the wheels were turning. "We've got time - we've got until Halloween, after all. For now, let's not worry about it, all right?."

"Yeah, all right," Harry admitted, and then blew out a frustrated sigh. "Let's just get our robes and get on with this then. I want to-" Harry stopped in mid-sentence as he spotted something - or rather, someone - across the shop. Ginny, and then Ron and Hermione, followed his stare to the section where the second-hand robes were kept - a section the two Weasleys knew rather well. They had, after all, shopped in it for much of their lives.

"Is that Malfoy?" Ron whispered in disbelieving awe. "Getting second-hand robes?"

Clearly it was - the other man's platinum blonde hair was easily identifiable. However, his wardrobe had seen better days, and the sneer he'd worn so long had vanished from his features completely.

Ron's face took on an expression of unrestrained glee as Hermione answered him. "You know, I think it is. Well it's hardly a surprise, is it?" she asked. "The Prophet said the Ministry had seized most of the Malfoy fortune. They can't have much left."

"Strangely," Ginny muttered tonelessly, "I find myself completely lacking in sympathy."

Harry had expected he would feel the same, but oddly, he found that was not the case. He felt sorry for the boy who had been his schoolyard nemesis. Life had certainly never turned out the way Draco had expected, and it was clear he had to make adjustments now. He felt it was deserved, certainly, but mostly he just felt bad for the blond wizard, raised with a silver spoon (or was that wand?) now being forced to learn how to work on his own. His whole life had come crashing down around him the last few years, and Harry imagined it couldn't be easy to figure out that everything one had ever learned was not only wrong, but drastically so.

"Hang on - " Ron started, his tone taking on a disgusted tone. "Is he getting Hogwarts robes? He can't be coming back, too? They wouldn't allow that, would they?"

Ginny looked positively sick at the very idea. Harry noted her hand was drifting towards her wand, but she relaxed when Harry put her hand in his instead.

"Well, no one took their N.E.W.T.S last year," Hermione reasoned out. "He'll be needing a job now, won't he? And he was cleared of charges."

"So was his father," Harry supplied, even though his friends all knew that. He still regarded that as the most ridiculous thing that had occurred since Tom Riddle's demise. At least Lucius Malfoy had lost his fortune and influence, but that was cold comfort.

"This just gets better and better," Ron muttered. "C'mon, Harry, let's go find out if he's really going back or not- "

"No, Ron," Harry said quietly, speaking very deliberately as a resigned feeling came over him. "Let's just leave it be."

Ron was reluctant to do so, but Harry just guided him over toward where Madame Malkin was waiting. Ginny watched Harry with a strange expression as he did so, while Hermione leaned close briefly to whisper that she was proud of him.

Ginny remained mostly silent while they were fitted for their robes, speaking only to answer Madame Malkin's questions as she was fitted. Harry was growing concerned, but she simply shrugged off his whispered questions, and once they'd left the robe shop, she was herself once more.

Surprisingly, Flourish & Blott's didn't take long at all, though Harry reckoned that was because Hermione simply grabbed a copy of their inventory catalogue on the way out. If she wasn't spending the majority of her money on books, Harry would be very surprised indeed.

"Give you even odds that in twenty years she's got a better library than Hogwarts," Harry leaned down to whisper to Ginny.

"Do I look like an idiot?" Ginny huffed. "There's no way I'm taking that bet."

Before they left, though, Harry overheard one clerk telling another about how quickly copies of McGonagall's Animagus text were selling. There'd be a great deal more Animagi for the Ministry to keep track of soon, it seemed.

Finally they came to their last stop - Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. The shop was crowded as always - the business George and Verity (And Lee, when he wasn't working at the WWN) were doing made everything they'd done before the end of the war look like a slow Sunday afternoon. George had already been pressing Harry and Ron to work for him part time next year when they got out of Hogwarts and entered Auror training, and that was still a year off. Harry was happy to see business going so well. It helped George to deal with Fred's death, to keep on pursuing their dream, he knew, and the wizarding world still needed laughter. The more of both, the better, as far as he was concerned.

"Hey, is that Parvati?" Ginny called out, looking at the dark-haired witch behind the counter. Harry noticed that Ron and Hermione had already separated from them - likely so Ron could decide just what he was going to bring to Hogwarts this year, and Hermione, so she could talk him out of it.

"Looks like," Harry replied. "Let's go and say hi then."

Ginny nodded, and the two of them worked their way through the crowd. There was a particularly large gathering in the 'new products' section, though old favorites like the Wildfire Whizz-bangs, Skiving Snackboxes (almost all out already), Extendable Ears, and one of Harry's favorites, the Patented Daydream charms. He even removed two from the shelf and slipped them into the hands of a young kid who looked like he'd be a first- or second-year. The boy was staring forlornly at a few coins in his hand. "Here, you'll need this for History of Magic," Harry grinned. "Tell the girl at the counter I gave it to you."

There were perks to being part-owner of a business, even if one was a silent partner. When they reached the register, they found Patil finishing up with a customer. After she handed the boy his change - Harry thought he recognized him as a Hufflepuff a few years below him - Parvati turned their direction. "Yes, can I help- Oh, hullo Harry, Ginny!" she said once she recognized them. "Here to see George then?"

"Yeah," Harry confirmed. "Thought we'd say hi to you too, once we saw you. You're working here now?"

"Clearly," Parvati replied, rolling her eyes. "You've always been good at the obvious, Harry."

"One of my many talents," he grinned.

Ginny just snorted, but turned towards their fellow Gryffindor. "Why here, though? You never really struck me as the 'pranking' type, Parvati."

"Oh, I'm not," she confirmed. "But it's a very busy store, and George needed the help. He told me how much it helped take his mind of things, and I thought it couldn't hurt to keep busy until the term starts."

"And the Galleons don't hurt either, I suppose?" Ginny asked.

"That - and you do meet the most interesting men in a place like this," Parvati shared confidentially. She looked over to where two older students - from Ginny's year, Harry thought - were standing, and gave them both a dazzling smile as she caught them checking her out. One of the two boys dropped whatever it was he was holding, and Harry laughed right along with the two girls.

"I'll take your word for it," Harry chuckled. "George in the back?"

Parvati nodded. "Go on. He told me earlier that the wards will let you two through. Ron and Hermione as well - I assume they're about?"

"Merlin only knows where," Harry shrugged, and Ginny took his hand as they started walking towards the 'Employee' door. Frowning, Harry looked down at her and spoke quietly. "George has wards on the back office?"

Ginny nodded. "They had a few break-in attempts last year, Death Eaters were trying to get a hold of their experimental products and invention records. Seems the Order wasn't the only people impressed by the twins. George takes security very seriously these days."

Thinking back to Draco's use of the twins' Peruvian Instant Darkness powder the night Dumbledore died, Harry could readily understand why. "Not a bad idea," he murmured as they passed through the doorway into the back office.

What they found was George entwined in a very compromising position with someone whom Harry was fairly certain was Angelina Johnson. It took Harry a moment to register that neither was wearing any clothes.

When that finally clicked, Harry's jaw dropped open. He expected that he probably looked like Ron whenever Hermione caught him totally off-guard with something, but he found he couldn't do anything about it. He was also trying to will himself to move, to say something, to do anything to overcome the mortified petrification that seemed to have seized him.

Finally, he took a look over at Ginny, who had the exact same expression. She, fortunately, recovered her wits first. The smart thing, Harry later realized, would have been to creep back out quietly. George and Angelina never would have known they were there, then. That, however, was not what Ginny did. What she did do was yell out "Oh, Merlin, my eyes!"

Harry could relate. George's naked arse wasn't something he'd ever wanted to see either.

Fortunately, Ginny's exclamation unfroze Harry from his shock, and he quickly seized her hand to pull her back through the doorway. He wasn't fast enough, however, as Ginny's exclamation had been sufficient to draw the attention of both George and Angelina. Angelina saw them first and yelped loudly, and immediately tried to find something to cover herself. George turned around quick, and managed to strike his head on a low-hanging lamp as he did so. This had the result of exposing Angelina even more when he reflexively ducked.

"Sorry!" Harry yelled, pulling Ginny back out into the store with him, to the sounds of the dark-skinned girl saying - yelling - something that sounded a lot like 'I told you so'. As soon as they were both through the doorway, they stopped, both allowing everything to process. Harry looked to his girlfriend and gave her a small half-smile. While they might have been preoccupied with their own sex life - or lack thereof - for the last week, thoughts of consummating that relationship were certainly the farthest thing from either of their minds now. "You know, luv, I think that's more of George than I ever wanted to see. And I mean ever."

"You think you're scarred?" Ginny shuddered. "He's my brother!"

Ron and Hermione rejoined them then - the former not paying attention to what they were saying, the latter, unfortunately so. Ron was holding a bag of WWW products - Harry saw a vanishing cap sticking out of the top - and wasn't really looking at them yet, so he hadn't picked up on anything. Hermione gave them a puzzled expression as she asked "Which brother?"

Ginny made a face as Harry gave the resigned answer. "George."

"Yeah?" Ron asked, still looking through the bag. "What'd he do now, then? He get the both of you when you went back there or something?"

"No..." Harry said thoughtfully, "No, I'd say he was the one who got the surprise. And a little bit more than that, actually." Ginny started to giggle at that, and then, after a moment, so did Harry. After a few more seconds, Hermione caught on, and she started giggling as well, though her face turned a flaming Weasley red as she considered it.

Ron finally looked up, and his eyes back and forth at each of the three in growing confusion. "What? What'd I miss?"

Just then, George and Angelina appeared at the other side of the door to the back office. Angelina's eyes were downcast. With her skin, it was difficult to tell, but Harry was fairly sure she was blushing. George was, unsurprisingly, grinning widely - and still pulling on his robes.

"Oh," Ron muttered in understanding as he turned a shade to match Hermione's.

"Wotcher, you lot!" George said, still beaming. "Harry, Ginny, enjoy the show then?"

Angelina and Ginny smacked George's arms from opposite sides at the same time, causing Harry to wince in sympathy. Ginny leaned around her brother to whisper to the still embarrassed Angelina, "I'm so, so sorry."

The Quidditch player - who Harry now saw was (now) wearing practice robes emblazoned with the Holyhead Harpies logo - just sighed. "It's my fault, really. I told George someone was bound to catch us back there."

"No, I'm not sorry about that," Ginny said with a devilish grin. " Seeing that was actually a bit... educational, really. I'm sorry it was George. I didn't think professional Quidditch players were that hard up for men."

"Well, you know," Angelina admitted, now matching Ginny's grin. "It's been a slow month."

Harry had to give Ginny credit - the joke was just what everyone had needed (except for George, who wasn't embarrassed at all) to break past the awkward moment. Everyone even laughed, except for George, who pantomimed a wound to the heart. As George turned slightly to the side, Harry caught sight of something on the side of the lone twin's head where he should have had a missing ear. In fact, he saw, George was no longer missing an ear at all.

"Er - George?"

"Yeah, Harry?"

"What's that on your head? I thought they couldn't re-grow your ear?"

"Oh that? Dad's idea, actually. Muggles use this thing called a hearing aid, and he thought I could use something similar. Then we looked at the extendable ears, and decided they'd make a good prophylactic."

Harry and Hermione both snorted at George's choice of words. "Erm, George," Hermione asked, "Don't you mean prosthetic?"

"Right, that's it!" George nodded. "What's a prophylactic, then?"

Harry struggled to maintain a straight face, "I'll tell you when you're older."

After that, they had a pleasant visit. George showed off some of the new products, and then delivered his yearly update to his silent partner on the goings-on of the business. Harry was shocked to discover just how well the business was going. WWW was raking in the Galleons, and the profit-sharing George was doing with his employees was making for some very loyal workers. As per their agreements, Harry's share of the profits were being set aside for an idea that Harry still had bubbling in the back of his mind, but hadn't figured out how to set up yet. George even told them that he was thinking of expanding to more storefronts, though he didn't know who he would have manage them just yet.

Ginny and Hermione were also excitedly, if quietly, pressing Angelina for details on the rekindling of her and George's relationship. Apparently George had sought her out the day after Harry's birthday, and they had gotten back together. Where it would lead, neither new, but Angelina had to admit that things were certainly going well enough for now.

"Well," Ginny grinned. "That much was obvious."

Angelina rolled her eyes, but she had to concede the point. "All right, true," she admitted.

Finally, after Ron's urgent protestations that it was time for food became too numerous to ignore, the other three agreed it was time to leave. Harry led the way, with Ginny and then Hermione and Ron just behind him. They were sharing one last laugh as he opened the door out into Diagon Alley. Harry faced the outside world - .

To find a wand aimed only inches away from Harry's nose. "Avada - " an unknown voice yelled, beginning the death curse that Harry was so intimately familiar with.

The young wizard immediately threw himself backwards, toppling Ginny and the others behind him as he slammed the door back shut.

"- Kedavra!" The familiar sickly green light of the Killing Curse shot forth, and blew the door to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes into splinters.

"Take cover!" Harry cried, and he was pleased, in that portion of his mind still able to take note of such things- to see Ginny, Hermione and Ron immediately springing into action. From behind him, he heard George and Parvati taking charge of the crowd. Both had been members of Dumbledore's Army, after all, and no one from that group lost their heads easily. Not after everything they'd done in the last year. Fred and George had been members of the Order of the Phoenix, yes, but they had led Dumbledore's Army outside of Hogwarts, just as Ginny, Neville and Luna had done inside of it.

They all had wands out, and Harry had both of his. He was a bit nervous about using both wands in battle - hell, he wasn't even sure it would work. There was, however, no time like the present to learn. Seeing the shape beginning to come through the door, Harry aimed the wand in his right hand - his phoenix wand - at the unknown assailant.

"Depulso!" he cried, and the curse struck the attacker head on. The unknown man flew back into the alley, buying Harry and his friends a moment to recover. "Hermione!" he called, ducking an answering curse that came through the door and shattered the shelf Harry was taking cover behind.

"I've got it, Harry!" the bushy-haired witch called back. Harry's ears were still ringing as he watched Hermione conjure a temporary barrier. The sounds of oncoming hexes diminished as the wall began to absorb them.

"What the hell was that?" Ron asked.

"Killing curse," Harry responded grimly. "Ginny, Hermione, you okay?"

"We're fine, Harry," Ginny answered. "You?"

"Yeah," he nodded, and pulled up his wand. "Ron, you ready?"

"Yeah, mate, you leading?"

"Of course."

"Harry!" Hermione protested. "Leave it! Let the Aurors take care of it. George is already calling them- "

"Your barrier won't last that long, 'Mione, and there's too many innocent people in here," Harry protested. He but stopped as he met eyes with Ginny. She had a resigned look on her face, but she nodded. She understood the score - it didn't take a genius to figure out that the attackers were probably here for him at the least, and likely all four of them.

" 'Mione, we can't leave it," Ron explained while Harry and Ginny carried out their silent conversation. "We're Aurors now. We're bound by law to investigate and defend people"

"Oh, but - " the bushy-haired witch started, before she realized that her boyfriend was quite correct. A quick glance at her barrier confirmed it was crumbling - Harry's 'second sight' could see the magic that made up the conjured wall was unraveling faster with each passing second. "Oh, blast it. Fine."

"And we're coming with you," Ginny said quietly. Harry's eyes matched her once more, and he saw the determination there. She would not be left behind again, Harry knew, and what's more - he realized he no longer wanted that. Whatever happened now, they would face together.

He also couldn't shake the nagging feeling that that was the way it always should have been. Now was hardly the time for self-reflection, however.

"Now, wait a-" Ron started, but Harry cut him off.

"She's right, Ron. We need the backup," he said, in the tone of an order. That silent authority Ginny told him he had seemed to be taking hold of him again, and Harry decided that he might as well make use of it. "Ron, on my left. Ginny, 'Mione, you're second wave. Give us cover fire - stunners'll do it - and then sixty seconds, and then come after us. We'll cover you. We want to get people away from the store, and there's cover on the other side of the alley. When I give the signal, 'Mione, take your barrier down. Clear?"

Hermione still didn't look happy, but she had the same determined look that Ginny was now wearing. "Got it, Harry," she said softly.

"Now, then," Harry ordered with a brisk nod, and Hermione banished her conjured wall with a flick of her wand. Harry and Ron immediately rushed out the door, and only barely managed to dodge the hexes coming their way. Ron jerked Harry out of the way at the last minute, drawing him down some piled up refuse and construction debris once they'd reached the other side of the Alley.

Harry briefly nodded his thanks. Peering over the tops, Harry and Ron both took stock of the scene, in order to see just what they were facing. They were prepared to supply covering fire for the girls, but it turned out not to be necessary.

Two wizards, both dark-haired and darkly clothed, were firing spells into the crowd. They didn't look to be lethal ones, mostly stunners and the like. Harry noted the girls standing at the door of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, and with a quick nod, he and Ron prepared to make covering fire if necessary. It didn't prove so, as the attacking wizards now had their attention on the crowd, and clearly still thought Harry and company to be inside George's shop. George had activated the shop's nighttime wards, which were now sparking as they deflected spells. Both wizards were immediately identifiable when they turned briefly in the foursome's direction.

"Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange," Harry muttered under his breath just as Ginny and Hermione joined them. The two were some of Voldemort's oldest supporters, a pair of psychotics. Rodolphus was the smarter of the two, Remus had once told him, and Rabastan was something of an idiot tag-along. Rodolphus had also married Bellatrix, which didn't make Harry think the man had been all that sane too begin with. Time, Azkaban, and the fall of Voldemort did not seem to have clarified his faculties any.

"I thought they were dead?" Ron asked.

"No such luck, clearly," Ginny commented in a droll tone.

"They never did find bodies," Hermione supplied. "Not ones that could be conclusively identified."

"Then we should have known better," Harry said grimly as he watched another woman fall to a stunner. "We've got to go now, before they get lethal with the crowd."

"Harry, wait," Ron said, putting a restraining arm on his friend's. "That's what they're trying to do - draw us out."

"Haven't much choice, do we? And we don't have time to come up with a plan."

"S'okay, I've already got one," Ron grinned, and proceeded to fill the other three in. "It's not much, but - look. You and Ginny take 'em from this side, Hermione and I'll cross back and take 'em from behind. It's better than a blind rush."

"Yeah," Harry nodded, and then looked urgently at his two best friends. "All right - go. And be careful."

Ron was making full use of their four-to-two advantage, even if their opponents were experienced Death Eaters. He and Hermione split off from Harry and Ginny, and when Harry gave the signal, all four charged - each pair from opposite sides of the alley in basic flanking maneuver.

"Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange!" Harry called out, mustering up as official a tone as he possibly could. He'd slipped his phoenix wand back into its holster and was now holding his badge where it was clearly visible. "I'm Auror Potter. By the authority of the Ministry of Magic, I am ordering you to stand down and surrender your wands!"

Rabastan turned to his older brother. "D'you hear this rubbish? Baby Potter, thinks he's an Auror!"

"Your master underestimated me, Lestrange," Harry said warningly, still eyeing Rodolphus. He was the leader, the real threat. "Look where it got him."

Rodolphus' eyes darkened at that. "That brings us to the matter at hand, Potter. I challenge you now, to a Wizard's duel!"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "You've got to be kidding," she muttered.

Harry had to agree. A wizard's duel? What was it with these old purebloods? Didn't they realize it was practically the 21st century?

"A Weasley, then?" Rodolphus asked as he took in Harry's companion, his tone full of both derision and dismissal. "Does she speak for you then, Potter?"

"In every way that matters," Harry answered firmly. "Will you come quietly, Lestrange?"

"No, I don't think I will. Crucio!"

Harry realized at the last moment that the curse wasn't meant for him - Lestrange had aimed it at Ginny instead. Without a second thought, he threw himself in front of Ginny, taking the curse meant for her.

Pain, unimaginable pain, coursed through every fiber of his being. Harry had been hit with the Cruciatus before - from Voldemort himself. It only lasted a moment, but it seemed much, much longer. It was though every nerve in his body was freezing and on fire at the same time, and Harry couldn't help but cry out. In that eternal moment, Harry realized that while Rodolphus Lestrange didn't have the sheer power his master had possessed, he wasn't very far off.

The pain began to lift - he was dimly aware of hearing Ginny firing off spells from behind - or was it above? - him. When he cleared his head, the scenario had drastically changed.

Ginny was standing protectively over him, and alternately bringing up a Protego shield and firing stunners towards the brothers.. Ron and Hermione had attacked the Lestranges from behind as planned, but were now back-to-back, fighting off what looked like two other Death Eaters. Harry recognized one as Marcus Flint, and the other was familiar but unknown to him. "Harry!" she called, her voice containing concealed panic, "Harry, can you hear me?"

"Bollocks, that hurt," Harry cursed as he shook his head and attempted to stand. He was a bit wobbly, but more or less intact. The curse hadn't been held long enough to do real damage.

Ginny breathed a sigh of relief. "You're okay then?"

"I will be," Harry said, standing. "We'll talk about it later."

"You bet your arse we will, Potter," Ginny said darkly, the recrimination in her tone clear.

Harry winced. That didn't sound good. Still, he wasn't going to apologize for taking the curse for her - not now, and not later. Standing, he fixed his phoenix wand above the closest target, Rodolphus, and fired off a Reductor curse. Ginny joined him, and their twin curses shattered the stone wall of the building the two Death Eaters were standing by, sending fragments raining down on them. The move bought them precious seconds, and freed Ron and Hermione to focus just on Flint and the other unknown aggressor. Harry and Ginny raced forward to meet their opponents, to reduce the odds of bystanders - who were still clearing out of the area - being caught in a cross-fire.

Both Lestranges came up firing, and Ginny screamed as a slicing hex slipped through just a second before her shield came up and caught her across the arm. "Diffindo!" she fired back with a snarl, and Harry watched in amazement as the curse caught Rabastan across his chest and he went down - perhaps permanently.

"Good shot," Harry complimented her, sparing her a brief look of worry as he tossed a protective shield up to ward off Rodolphus' answering Reductor curse. They were keeping the Death Eaters off balance enough to keep them from using Unforgivables - that was a plus. "You okay?"

"I'm bleeding pretty badly, Harry," Ginny confessed, gritting her teeth together.

Harry pushed her roughly behind some debris to where she could take cover. "Stay here, then, try to stop the bleeding while I take care of the other one," he asked her.

"Harry, I can still help -"

"I know you can," he assured her, pulling them both down to duck as some purple curse he couldn't identify flew over their heads. "I don't doubt you, Gin, I really don't. But you're hurt, and I don't want you hurt worse."

"Fine," Ginny muttered, reluctantly admitting that Harry was right. "Take care of him fast, Harry," she urged. "I've just got you back. Losing you is not in the plan."

"Promise," he grinned, and kissed her quickly.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are, Potter!" sounded Lestrange's taunting cry. The smoke was thick now - someone had used a spell that had set fire to the closest building, and black smoke was now pouring everywhere. Harry spared a glance across the alley - both Flint and the other Death Eater were down, and wrapped in ropes - but it looked like either Ron on Hermione was hurt, too. There was too much dust, smoke and debris for him to tell which, though he saw the other attempting to tend wounds.

Setting his face in a firm line, Harry stepped out, both his wands at the ready. "I'm here, Lestrange. I'm giving you one more opportunity to surrender. Your allies are down."

Lestrange sneered, his bearded face twisting as he did so. "You're brave, Potter, I'll give you that. But foolish. Your compatriots are wounded as well. I stood high among the Dark Lord's circle. Do you really believe you can defeat me?"

"I defeated Riddle, Lestrange," Harry taunted back. "Somehow I don't think you're going to even be a challenge." It was bravado, but Harry knew he had to appear confident. He also knew he was about to step into a very dangerous duel, It was, after all, now one on one. Harry would have to use his wits to survive against the more experienced wizard. There was no prophecy protecting him here, after all, nothing standing in the way of his ending up a corpse.

And as Ginny had said - that just wasn't in the plan today. As he faced off with Rodolphus Lestrange, Harry actually found it strangely liberating. He hated to admit it, but the feel of combat, the rush of adrenaline, the pounding of his pulse in his ears - it made him feel alive in a way that was hard to describe. Everything had taken on an aspect of being almost hyper-real, and Harry felt as though he was aware of the smallest of details. The smell of the smoke, the sounds of those trying to put out the fire, the sight of the wizard standing across from him - all of it seemed indelibly stamped on his brain.

Both wizard's eyes met, and they watched, waited to see how would move first. A split second before it happened, Harry saw it. He didn't know what 'it' was precisely, but he realized when exactly Lestrange was going to attack.

"Avada Kedavra!" the other cried. Harry dodged, and summoned a nearby crate to fly in front of him to take the impact. It shattered, not catching all of the spell, and the impact sent kindling and cobblestones flying into the air as Harry fired his answering spell.

"Flamma offendo!" Harry yelled, launching a searing jet of red-orange flame in Lestrange's direction. Lestrange dodged, though the flames caught his cloak, and Harry had time to launch another attack while his opponent used the Aguamenti spell to extinguish the flames.

Spells between the two flew fast and furious then, and reviewing the memory in a penseive later, Harry would be awed by how similar the fight seemed to the battles he had witnessed between the members of the Order and the Death Eaters at the height of the war. Harry lost track of the number of times he transfigured something Rodolphus attacked him with, or charmed something as a distraction, or settled for the brute-force approach of sending flames, stones, and blasting or stunning hexes towards his opponent. Harry used both of his wands to accomplish this feat, and everyone still in the area was frozen in watching the display of magic between two clearly powerful wizards.

He managed to block or avoid most of the spells Lestrange sent his way, except for a Reductor curse that slipped past his shield. Harry's right arm hung limply at his side, his phoenix wand clattered to the pavement. As he quickly cast a numbing charm on the shoulder, Harry realized the socket had very likely been shattered.

Well, I've still got one good arm and one good wand, Harry thought as he gritted his teeth. Lestrange had stopped firing now, and was looking at Harry expectantly. "Do you surrender now, Potter?" he said mocking Harry's earlier words and tone.

"Confringo!" was Harry's only answer as waved his wand rapidly, launching a quick series of blasting hexes towards the gloating Death Eater.

All except one bounced harmlessly off of Lestrange's answering shield. The one that hit sliced across Lestrange's face in a graze, leaving a trail of blood all the way across his cheek and severing the top portion of the man's ear. Rodolphus face twisted in rage. "You'll pay for that, Potter!" the Death Eater yelled, and struck back hard. "Sectumsempra!"

Harry barely twisted out of the way, and the curse sliced open his upper leg. He cried out against the pain, but launched a final spell at Lestrange, who hadn't expected retaliation so soon. "Stupefy!" Harry yelled through gritted teeth, and was gratified to see Lestrange's look of shock as the red jet of light caught him center mass.

Lestrange dropped unceremoniously to the ground as Harry tried to stand. Harry could vaguely hear cheers - there was, apparently, still an audience. He managed to bring himself fully upright, but only just. His right arm hung limply, and his leg was bleeding a lot more than he was really comfortable with.

"Harry!" Ginny called, rushing towards him. The bottom of her shirt had been torn away and tied around the top of her arm, which was still bleeding. Apparently there'd been enough dark magic in the curse to slow her healing efforts - she'd need to go to St. Mungo's. Well, they both would, Harry admitted to himself. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fi-" he started automatically, before remembering what she'd warned him about months ago. "Well, no, I'm not fine. My shoulder's all bolloxed up and my leg's bleeding pretty badly. But... I'll live."

"Good to hear-" Ginny started, before Harry cried out.

"Ginny, get down!" he said, bringing up his wand once more, just as a yellow curse flew just through the exact spot where Ginny had been standing.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry cried, the first spell that came to mind, and sent it flying towards Rabastan Lestrange, who was apparently not as wounded as he'd earlier seemed. The Disarming Charm, shot from the Elder Wand and with the force of all Harry's panicked magic behind it, struck Lestrange directly in shoulder. It sent his wand flying - and sent the man himself spinning into the air a good ten feet, where his backwards progress was stopped with a sickening crack that seemed to echo through the entirety of Diagon Alley as Rabastan's head struck the stone wall of the building behind him.

With Ginny's help, Harry mutely limped over, not even aware that the large gash on his leg was still bleeding profusely. He was beginning to feel faint from the blood loss, and as they stopped, Ginny removed his belt in order to make a tourniquet around his thigh. He was numbly aware of this, but he couldn't tear his eyes from the sight in front of him.

Hermione and Ron joined them a moment later, apparently okay, though both bore the signs of hastily applied first aid. Harry looked down at Rabastan Lestrange.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, seeing Ginny wrap her arms tightly around her love. "Harry, what is it?"

Harry pointed downward, at the body of Rabastan Lestrange. He looked to meet Hermione's eyes, and he didn't doubt at all that she could see the shock in his own. Ginny's arms just wrapped tighter around him as he cleared his voice so that he could say the words.

"I killed him," Harry said numbly.

Reviews 306
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear