Search:

SIYE Time:13:29 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter & the Veil of Shadows
By elaithin

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 306
Summary: Moving on, strange dreams, mysterious newcomers, Death Eaters, the Veil of Shadows, and a little bit of life, laughter and love. Join Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione for their last year at Hogwarts - and the first year of the rest of their lives as they learn that just because Voldemort's gone doesn't mean life's going to be easy!
Hitcount: Story Total: 160808; Chapter Total: 7137





Author's Notes:
Enormous thanks to my betas, Teyri Jen and Geluf for their assistance with this chapter, especially when it came the two new characters. Sorry about the long wait, but school picked up after the Mardi Gras break, and my pace was slowed down a bit. Hopefully, it's worth the wait.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Sixteen “The Last September 1st"

The rest of the summer passed in a blurred rush, and, before Harry knew it, the morning of September 1st - his last September 1st as a Hogwarts student - had dawned. It seemed as though the last month of summer, ever since Ginny's birthday, had passed in some sort of haze. Every stolen moment with Ginny, every moment playing Quidditch, playing chess with or just talking to Ron, or Hermione's tutoring him on advanced magical theory were memories to be prized. The latter was because Harry had decided that, if he was as powerful as everyone kept wanting to say, then perhaps he owed a little bit back to the world of magic for everything it had given him. Hermione was only too surprised to find him an enthusiastic student, and their late night sessions - which often turned to debates as Harry argued the 'whys' and the 'hows' of the way magic worked with the far-better-informed Hermione - generally left Ron shaking his head and turning to Ginny or Harry's telly for amusement.

All in all, it had been the perfectly peaceful end to a summer that, despite all that had happened since the previous summer had come crashing to a close at Bill and Fleur's wedding, was sure to go down in Harry's memories as one of the best of his life. Even the events of Diagon Alley and everything he'd learned about Ginny's last year at Hogwarts were beneficial in a way, for the closure they had provided. Harry truly felt like he had closed a book on the more painful parts of his past, and as the month had gone on, so had Ginny. Life, simply put, was good.

It had taken it a bit to for Harry to recognize what the heady feeling he seemed to go through nearly every day with was - he was happy. Perhaps that should not have been such a shock for him to realize, but then, no one had ever claimed that Harry Potter had been subjected to an easy life.

Still, those feelings and that realization did absolutely nothing for the fact that the Hogwarts Express was leaving in a few hours, and until now, he had not packed a single bloody thing.

"Bollocks," Harry muttered, waving his wand almost frantically around his room. He was trying to rectify that now, and hurriedly packing everything he would need for the coming term. He cursed again when his haste caused him to break his new scales. A hasty Reparo and Reducio later, they were repaired, shrunken down, and loaded into his trunk. He started to wonder just why he hadn't packed already, when a rather visual memory answered the mental question for him. Ginny had been over the day before to help him pack, but they"d gotten a bit... distracted, and in the end, very little packing had been done at all. Given the choice, Harry would pick the one activity over the other any day.

He began running through the mental checklist as he was shrinking and loading items in, and wondering not for the first time if he should just invest in a magical trunk like the one Moody had had. His bag with his dearest possession was hanging from his neck, so those were quite safe. Books, quills, clothes, robes, Wheezes, quills, parchment, broom - both, since he was donating his Firebolt II to the Gryffindor team, in favor of his Thunderbolt. His Defense books from Sirius, Remus and Percy, as well as his Auror's Manual and the Marauder's Guide to Becoming an Animagus made it in as well. Muggle clothes, his photo albums and a few of his parents' other things, the picture of Ginny and the one of him, Ginny, Ron and Hermione taken on his birthday...

Harry cursed again as his levitation was just a bit too forceful, and he was caught in the face by several rolls of socks, the last item he needed to pack.

"Thought Hermione told you to pack yesterday." Harry winced ever so slightly as he heard Ron's taunting voice coming from the doorway. As expected, his best mate was standing there, smirking at Harry's predicament.

"Oh, I suppose you"re all ready then?" Harry asked pointedly.

"Yep," Ron nodded, unable to contain his wide grin. "Hermione made me pack up yesterday. Shoulda heard the things that bird threatened to do to me if I didn't."

"Set you straight, then?"

"Are you mental? The hexes that woman knows are downright scary. 'Course I did it," the redhead confessed. "What's your excuse?"

"Well, Ginny came over to, you know, help..." Harry started with a very particular grin on his face. It was the grin he used whenever he and Ginny were tormenting Ron about their relationship, and his friend recognized it more than well enough by now.

Therefore, it wasn't surprising in the least that Ron's response was to immediately box his hands over his ears. "I'm not listening!" he yelled, and Harry grinned widely as his best mate vacated the premises as rapidly as possible, leaving Harry to his packing.

Chuckling lightly, Harry turned his attention back to the task at hand. A quick check of his pocket watch showed Ginny's hand as 'travelling' - she'd be here soon, along with her parents. The trunk was largely full when his hand absently settled on something on his headboard. Unbidden, his fingers curled around the small rune-laced wood and glass ornament, and he pulled it free. It came easily, with a slight popping sound, but Harry was barely even conscious of his actions. Before he even realized it, he was moving to place it in his trunk as well, handling the object with great care.

As he did so, the small orb started to glow, and Harry nearly dropped it in shock, as he shook the fuzzy feeling that had overcome his mind.

What am I doing? Harry abruptly thought. Why am I taking this? What IS this thing?

He quickly remembered finding it his first night in Grimmauld Place, and that memory brought flashes through his mind, memories of things that had never been. Dueling Rabastan Lestrange in front of the Veil in the Department of Mysteries. Seeing Dumbledore killed by Voldemort, and an older version of himself battling his dead enemy in the Atrium at the Ministry. Somehow meeting Ron and Ginny both at the same time, and something about a... Chocolate Frog card? Speaking to Ginny some time when they were both far older, and making love to her - all this and dozens of other impossible (or at the least, improbable) things flashed through his mind in a moment.

Was this somehow all connected? Or was it just -

Then the orb in his hand gave off a pulse of blue light, and grew warm for just an instant. The fog came back, and Harry dropped the orb into his trunk out of reflex. Its face shifted, blending into its surroundings rather like a chameleon. The fog faded again, and Harry shook his head and started blinking. He looked around his room for a moment, fighting that horrible feeling that he'd forgotten what he was doing just in the middle of it.

What was I just doing? Harry thought with a frown. He tried very hard to determine what he had forgotten, but it just wouldn't come. A moment later, he was distracted as Hermione found him, seemingly just standing about.

"Harry!" the bushy-haired witch yelled as she popped her head in. "Hurry up! Ginny and the Weasleys will be here any minute! The taxis are already downstairs!"

"Right, I know, I know!" he called back, and slammed his trunk shut. Whatever he'd forgotten, it obviously wasn't that important. With a wave of his wand, he shrunk down his trunk and slipped it into his pocket, and then did the same with the few things he'd left out - namely, the school robes and Head Boy badge that he'd have to put on once they got to the train. He was also thankful that he was legally able to do magic, as simply carrying his trunk in his pocket was loads easier than dragging it down the stairs of Grimmauld Place.

Dora - he'd discovered that referring to the owl by her full name took too bloody long - hooted in protest as he started to depart without her.

"Sorry girl," he said hastily, and tossed her an owl treat before grabbing the handle on her cage. "I won't forget you again."

The owl's wide-eyed glare seemed to suggest that Harry would be wise to remember that, and she gave a low hoot of warning. "Hey," Harry protested defensively as she nipped towards his fingers, and shifted her feathers to a bright red, the color she used when irritated. (Harry suspected Ginny had been her inspiration.) "I'd never forget something so important!"

- - - - - -

"Blimey," Ron muttered, his tone full of awe and disbelief. "I've never seen the station so crowded."

"You're not wrong," Harry muttered in equal astonishment.

And truthfully, his friend wasn't. There were more people in the station than Harry had ever seen, was only just half-past ten. They had - for once - gotten to King's Cross nearly a half-hour before the departure of the Hogwarts Express. Privately, Harry thought that was because the four of them and the Weasleys had left from Grimmauld Place, rather than Surrey. The fact that there were only four of them going this year, and they could all legally use magic to pack, well that probably helped, too.

Of course, he also thought he'd seen Ginny's wand pointed towards their taxis as they were coming down the stoop. And of course, Harry had had to hit both drivers with a mild Confundus charm, to keep them from asking too many questions about what house (or lack thereof) they'd come out of. And if the traffic had somehow seemed to move out of their way... well, that was just coincidence, wasn't it? Then again, it wasn't as though Arthur was going to arrest his only daughter for illegally charming Muggle taxis.

Still, King's Cross was unbelievably crowded. Harry could easily tell that the majority of the uncommonly large crowd were wizards and witches. They were, after all, eminently discernible by the presence of owl, cat, toad or any of the more exotic pets (like Arnold, who was just barely sticking out of Ginny's handbag.) How they were all getting through the barrier with no one noticing was nothing short of a miracle. It was so crowded that Arthur and Molly had decided just to say their goodbyes in the parking lot, rather than brave that mess. Given how Molly in particular always wanted to hang on to every possible second with her children, well, that was saying something.

"I mean," Harry said under his breath, mindful of the nearby Muggle porter. His tone very easily conveyed every inch of his astonishment. "I'd heard enrollment was up, but..."

"Well," Hermione said reasonably, (As though she ever spoke in any other fashion, Harry mused,) "It's the largest it's ever been, actually."

"Ever?" Ron asked, disbelieving. "As in, the whole thousand years there's been a Hogwarts?"

"As in," Ginny confirmed, and started ticking off the reasons on her fingers. "Think about it. You've got everyone who didn't come back to school the last two years returning to finish. There's almost all of last year"s seventh years repeating their final year. It's not like a lot of us focused on schoolwork, and no one's taken the NEWTs. And then there's all the Muggleborns and half-bloods that were denied admission by the Death Eaters last year, so they're starting late..."

"Wait," Ron asked, "If no one graduated last year, how is it everyone else is still advancing?"

Harry knew the answer, since it was actually something he and Ginny had discussed. "They're hardly going to hold six years worth of students back a year," he noted. "And on top of that," Harry continued, verbalizing the thoughts even as he made the realization, "There's everyone who's come back from abroad, or whose parents never started them the last couple years, and all the regular new first years."

Hermione shrugged. "If you add it all up -"

"And I'll bet you have," Ron teased, prompting the bushy-haired witch to roll her eyes.

"As I was saying," Hermione continued, "if you add it all up, you end up with a new year - of just first years, mind - that's more than double the size of ours."

Ron let out a low whistle. "I hadn't thought about all that," he confessed with a shake of his head. "Like I said... blimey."

"Right there with you, mate," Harry agreed.

Hermione made a small clucking noise as she caught the time on one of the station's clocks, and began to walk a bit faster. "Come on, you three. We need to hurry. We've all got to get changed into our robes, and the Head -"

"- Boy and Girl are supposed to set an example -" Harry continued, grinning at Ron.

"Just like the prefects," Ron dutifully finished, also grinning as they both finished Hermione's litany that she'd been repeating for the last several days.

"Boys," Hermione muttered, and grabbed Ginny's hand to set off towards the barrier at Platform 9 3/4. Ginny just tossed a quick grin back towards Harry - which he returned - and then allowed herself to be drug away.

Harry and Ron shared a quick laugh, and the dark-haired wizard returned his attention to the crowd. He felt no particular urge to rush, and found it strangely peaceful to just watch the bustling crowds. A small part of him was scanning the crowds for danger even now - he'd noticed that habit had come back after what had happened in Diagon Alley, and had not gone away on any trip into public since. As he was now an Auror - a reserve one, at least - he supposed the habit never would. The realization made him a little bit sad, but he'd come to terms months ago with the fact that "constant vigilance" would be a necessary trait for the rest of his life.

As Harry watched, he wasn't looking for anything in particular, really, but just sort of... enjoying the moment. This was, after all, his last September 1st as a student at Hogwarts. As strange as that seemed - and after all, Harry certainly did not feel as though he were only eighteen years of age - it brought a peace to him as well. He felt an irresistible desire to take in, to record, everything in this particular point in time. While he was doing so, his eyes settled on a dark-haired girl, whipping her head about as she looked at the information on a ticket stub - and looking right between platforms nine and ten.

Harry didn't know what drew his attention to the girl, but he knew it wasn't the confused look she had. It was something... else, something that he couldn't place. Her long hair, jet-black, he now saw, fell to her shoulders and was kept back by a clip. She had very finely sculpted features that seemed very familiar to him, but that he could not for the life of him place. Her demeanor - not to mention her fashion sense - immediately reminded Harry of Tonks, and he quickly pushed down the pain at that realization. Looking among her things, Harry could see a Hogwarts crest among the many patches on the backpack that was slung over one shoulder. She had a cat in a cage, though Harry could see no trunk. She was of-age, then, Harry realized - she must have shrunk down her trunk just as he had. She was likely a seventh-year, then, but Harry had most certainly not seen her before.

Damn if she doesn't look awfully bloody familiar, though, Harry thought, and his eyebrows furrowed as he tried to puzzle the matter out.

Ron's elbow suddenly made contact with Harry's side, dragging him out of his thoughts, and he let out his breath with a heavy 'whuff' sound. He turned to his mate, hoping his face displayed precisely how annoyed he was. "Oi!" he protested.

The redheaded wizard chuckled, "Ginny'll have your bits if she sees you checking out other girls, mate. Fair warning."

"What?!" Harry sputtered, his voice rising an octave. "I wasn't looking - well, I was, okay, but I wasn't, y'know... looking. "

"Sure you weren't," Ron grinned, clearly enjoying Harry's discomfort far too much for Harry's liking.

"Prat," Harry muttered darkly, "C'mon, she looks lost. Least we can do is lend a helping hand."

Ron snorted. "You do that. I don't want Hermione to hex my bits off. I like 'em where they are, thanks."

Harry just shook his head as he pushed the cart with Dora's, Pig's, and Crookshanks' cages into Ron's hands. "Take this," he said without waiting for a response. He approached the girl, who was peering determinedly at just where the barrier was. "Need a hand?" he asked, and fought back a smile when she jumped slightly in surprise. She obviously hadn't noted his approach.

"Bloody right I do," she answered, and Harry laughed. She was obviously looking at him, trying to identify him as a Muggle or a Wizard, and decide on just what she should say. Harry was familiar with the feeling of course - he felt that way every time he encountered a new witch or wizard in a Muggle area. While there were quite a few - of the older set, especially - who had trouble blending into the Muggle world, there were others like Harry for who it was no trouble it all. It made things... interesting at times.

"New to Hogwarts, then?" Harry asked, deciding to spare her the stress, and pointing at the crest on her pack. The girl visibly sighed in relief at his reference.

"Oh, Mer- er, God, yes," she responded. Harry noted her accent was decidedly Londoner, and most certainly reminded him even more of Tonks - but she had to have studied abroad until now. Or perhaps just at home?

"Platform's right where you think it is," Harry said helpfully, and then repeated the advice he'd gotten so long ago with a wide grin. "Trick is to do it at a bit of a rush if you're nervous."

"Do what exactly?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Walk through the wall, of course," Harry smiled, and looked over just in time to see Ron pushing the small cart with the pets through. Ron looked back towards Harry and the girl with a smirk just as he vanished through the wall. Her eyes widened slightly, and Harry walked towards the bricks himself. He stopped just in front of the wall, and then turned to grin back at her. "See you on the other side, then," he teased, and then stepped through.

Given that Ron had gone first, it wasn't much of a surprise that Ginny was waiting when he came through, her arms folded. Harry's eyes crinkled at the front she was putting up. Ginny felt different when she was angry at him, which wasn't very descriptive, he knew, but was the only way he could think of how to phrase it.

Harry raised an eyebrow, and he saw her gaze dart quickly over to Ron, who was trying (and failing) to not smirk. Much.

"Well?" she asked.

"Nothing, luv," Harry said, putting an arm around the small witch's shoulders. "Just helping a new student get through. Being a good Head Boy, like Hermione told me to."

"Uh-hunh," Ginny said sarcastically.

Harry turned around just as the dark-haired girl came through the wall, and he waved a hand to indicate her to Ginny. "See?" he said. He knew see that Ginny was playing up the "jealous girlfriend" routine, and he wasn't falling for it. It was part of an ongoing game of theirs over the last month. The both of them had discovered that, lately, they always knew when the other wasn't being truthful, to any degree. Without fail, actually, which had gotten to be somewhat disconcerting. They were simply unable to lie to each other, about anything. Every now and then Ginny had said she could feel his feelings, but Harry rather thought that sounded like rubbish. Watching the two, Ron whistled slightly as he headed ahead to join his girlfriend.

Of course, Ginny had felt that, too. Neither of them knew what it meant, but oddly, neither seemed to want to press the matter.

Harry momentarily refocused his attention from Ginny to the new girl, and his words were meant to be calming to the surprised witch. "Told you you'd be all right. Might want to hurry up a bit, though - train's a bit crowded this year."

"Thanks," the girl said with a grin, and proceeded off. Harry watched as she examined her surroundings - it was certainly her first time on the Hogwarts Express. The wonder on her face left no doubt as to that.

As she left, Ginny looked up at Harry, a half smile on her face, and a teasing twinkle in her eyes. "You know, it's not very much fun if I can't even pretend to be angry at you."

"Oh, I'm sure I'll make you genuinely angry often enough," Harry admitted candidly.

"Well," Ginny said, and patted his harm patronizingly, "that's something of a given, luv."

Harry just snorted, and jerked his head towards the train. "C'mon then. Those two'll already be in the Head's cabin. Let's not be late."

"And miss you getting in trouble with the Head Girl?" Ginny shot back. "Why?"

"Sadist," he muttered, but he noted that she didn't resist when he tugged her hand towards the train. Nor, he realized, did she deny his accusation.

Guess that's part of why we get on so well, Harry decided as he stepped onto the train.

- - - - - - -

"-And that's the patrol schedule for the trip to Hogsmeade," Hermione finished, having completed her long recitation of the Prefects' and Heads' duties for the upcoming year. Harry knew his friend's... thoroughness should have long ago ceased to surprise him. Somehow, it still hadn't. "Does anyone have any questions?"

He looked around as Hermione asked her question. Ginny and Ron, he could see, weren't paying her too much attention. Along with Harry himself, they had heard Hermione's rehearsal of her 'Head Girl Speech', and were focusing on the other Prefects. (If pressed, Harry would have to admit that he had spent much of the time watching Ginny - but she was a Prefect. That counted, right?) He was a bit surprised when he realized that there were twenty-four of them in all. He'd known there were two for each house for the fifth, sixth, and seventh years, of course, but he had to admit he'd never really paid attention to the Prefects beyond his own year or house. He was even more surprised to realize that, Gryffindors aside; he knew almost none of the younger Prefects.

For the seventh years, there was Ron and Ginny representing Gryffindor, of course, to Molly's great pride. Hannah and Ernie for Hufflepuff, Anthony and Luna for Ravenclaw (the latter of which Harry found incredibly amusing), and then Blaise and Daphne for Slytherin. Blaise had replaced Draco two years ago, of course, and it seemed as though the Headmistress had felt that Pansy's behaviour before the Battle of Hogwarts had not merited the retention of her Prefect's badge. Harry had to concur.

Harry didn't really think he'd miss the pug-nosed girl's presence. If nothing else, having to work with Slytherins he actually got on with would actually make things easier for once. That was a nice thought.

But the others - well, he knew the Gryffindor Prefects, or was at least acquainted with them. Denton Robards and (Harry's stomach tightened slightly) Romilda Vane for the sixth years, and Dennis Creevey and Ashley Bell, Katie's younger sister, represented the fifth years. Harry had to confess, he had done a double-take when Romilda had entered the compartment - and that time, Ginny had not been faking her anger. Romilda had grown considerably in the year he'd been away and was now rather... well, statuesque was the polite term, he thought.

Or one could just be honest and say she was a bloody looker. Ron had noticed that as well, and Harry caught his eyes straying towards the dark-haired girl on more than one occasion - including while Hermione was answering one of Blaise's questions. Returning the earlier favor, he nudged Ron in the ribcage, though a bit less violently so as to not draw attention. "Careful there, mate," he warned in a whisper.

"Believe me, I am," Ron said, his own whisper very serious, and Harry did a double-take at the tone. "Romilda was bad enough before. Can you imagine what she'll be like now?" Ron whispered urgently.

Harry shuddered, and turned his attention back to the meeting.

"I do have another question," the young, blonde fifth-year Hufflepuff prefect called out. Just the way he said the words set Harry's teeth on edge, and he would have been hard-pressed to say exactly why. However, he schooled his features as he looked at the younger boy, who he thought at first was just addressing Hermione. Seeing the expression on the boy's face, however, Harry realized that it was a question that was going to be far more directed towards him.

"Yes?" Hermione asked politely, and Harry fought a smirk as he saw the briefest flicker of irritation cross her features.

"How is it the two of you are Head Boy and Head Girl?" the boy asked pointedly. "You didn't even attend school last year. Shouldn't the position go to someone who's earned it? And he's hardly said a word this whole meeting." The last was delivered with a very direct look at Harry.

Harry returned the gaze evenly, as the temperature of the room seemed to drop ten degrees. Every head in the compartment whipped towards the young Hufflepuff - or from Harry. He felt Ron tense up beside him, but calmly placed a restraining arm on Ron's forearm. When he heard Ginny's intake of breath, however, he made no move to restrain her. "I'm sorry," Harry asked politely. "Who are you again?"

"Wilson Smith," the boy answered immediately, and Harry mentally groaned when he realized why the boy seemed familiar. He was a dead ringer for his late older brother, Zacharias. In attitude, apparently, as well as looks.

Ron didn't bother to hide his response. "Merlin, there's more of them?"

"Ronald!" Hermione clucked. "Be nice."

Ron's answering look just clearly asked 'Why?'

Harry put up a hand, and Hermione stopped. Then he turned back to Smith. "Well, Wilson, we're the Head Boy and Girl because, primarily, Professor McGonagall told us we are. You see, we didn't have the option of returning last year, unlike some. Hermione here is probably the smartest witch Hogwarts has ever seen. I don't think there's anyone who's ever been more suited to the job."

"Too bloody right," Ron muttered, folding his arms.

Smith didn't back down, though - Harry had to give him credit for that. Not much, mind, but some. "And you?" he asked pointedly.

Harry smiled. Because I saved the bloody wizarding world, you berk! he thought unkindly, but kept to himself. Instead, he maintained his carefully patient and pleasant tone, unconsciously copying something he'd often seen Dumbledore do. "You'd have to ask the Headmistress about that one, I suppose. Please do, when we get to Hogwarts. I'd love to see it."

Harry's easy answer brought a low chuckle to the rest of the compartment and he continued on, this time addressing everyone. "I wouldn't be surprised if all of you lot tend to look to Hermione more for guidance than me. I certainly still do. But that doesn't mean I won't help any of you out if you need it, or that I'm not mindful of my duties as Head Boy. Anyone needs to see me, they always can. I've no problems with that, and if any of you do, we can address them - hopefully a bit more privately," he said with emphasis on the last word. "Objections?"

Aside from Smith, no one had any - none they were willing to raise publicly, at least. And even the young Hufflepuff offered no more - for the moment, at least. "All right then," Harry continued. "You've got your patrol schedules and your passwords. Run along then - we've all got friends we want to see."

There was a murmur of consensus in the compartment as everyone began to filter out, leaving just Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Hannah, Luna, Blaise and Daphne along with Harry himself. The departures were not without incident - Harry saw Ginny's eyes narrow as Romilda gave him an openly appraising look as she departed, and he winced. He'd hoped that particular problem was in the past. Apparently not.

"I think I'll go search out Neville," Luna offered in a sing-song voice, "And the others, of course." Harry nodded.

"I'll go with her," Hannah added, "They'll be in a few compartments, like as not."

"Absolutely," he added. "We've room for plenty in here, after all." For the whole group, he thought, and realized that such a large compartment really would make for a nice trip on the train, even if it didn't give him the private time with Ginny he'd surely like. Still, it would be nice to finish out the ride with everyone he now thought of as his friends. Oddly, that circle had increased dramatically in the last year, though the most important people to him were unchanged, save one. The redhead in question snuggled up closely to him, now that the official parts were over, and Harry visibly relaxed as she sank into the cushions next to him.

"You handled that well," Ginny commented softly, her eyes crinkling a bit in what he recognized as pride, and Harry returned her warm smile.

"Thanks."

"Settled my questions, Potter," Blaise said, grinning, and Harry looked up at the dark-skinned Slytherin. He didn't know him very well personally, but he knew that Blaise had stood up to be counted with the DA when it had mattered, and that Ginny trusted him. That, Harry had decided, was good enough.

"How's that?" Harry asked, his tone curious.

"Well," Blaise shrugged, "Can't say I know you all that well. Somehow I don't think all of Draco's ranting over the years gave a true picture. But I know a leader when I see one."

Harry realized not that long ago he would have squirmed at the term. Now, he didn't. "Maybe the Headmistress knows what she's on about after all," he grinned.

Ginny leaned over Harry's lap to talk to Blaise, "Don't say anymore," she said in a stage whisper. "If his head swells too much, we'll never get him out of the compartment."

Ron and Hermione both laughed, as did Daphne. Ron then looked at the Slytherin with interest. "Malfoy talked about Harry that much?" he asked, and Blaise's grin widened.

"All four of you, actually," he noted. "Seemed a bit jealous, but mostly, he hated the three of you especially."

"It was mutual," Harry noted, unconsciously emphasizing the past tense.

Blaise raised his eyebrow, and Harry felt Ginny still slightly next to him as she realized the why of his words.

"Was?" the Slytherin asked.

Harry was spared having to respond as Luna and Hannah returned with the rest of their friends - Neville, Dean, Susan, Seamus, Lavender and someone else. Neville had grown a bit more in the last month, Harry noted. Certainly all of his 'baby fat' was gone, and Harry was astonished to realize that Neville was now the tallest of all of them, passing even Dean. Harry was also amazed to realize that the stranger accompanying them was, oddly enough, the dark-haired girl who he had helped through the barrier back at the platform.

Neville caught Harry's questioning look, and then nodded back. He cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. "Hey, uh, everyone. This is Cordelia. She's transferring back to Hogwarts now that the war's over. Her parents had sent her to Durmstrang 'for the duration'. Cordelia, this is...." Neville started, and then named off everyone in the large compartment by turn.

"Wotcher, you lot," she said in greeting, and everyone returned it in some fashion or another. After they had, Cordelia quirked a grin and spoke in an unmistakable London accent. "Nev, I already told you to call me Cordy. Only person that calls me 'Cordelia' is me Mum." Cordelia's expression was light, but her tone suggested it was advice they would all be wise to take heed to.

Harry laughed, "Cordy it is, then. Pleasure to meet you."

"Charmed, I'm sure," Cordy responded sarcastically, and then eyed Ginny, who had just put her arm on Harry's chest, using the universal nonverbal signal for women everywhere that meant 'mine'. "Ginny, right?" she asked.

"Right," the redhead answered pleasantly enough.

"Message received," she grinned, and Ginny laughed.

"Join the crowd, then," Ginny offered, and Harry saw Ron and Hermione both hiding smirks - as were more than a few others in the compartment. Amusing as the situation was, no one seemed to want to anger Ginny by commenting on it, something that gave Harry faith in the average intelligence of his friends. As everyone settled in, Harry realized that nearly all of them were paired off by couple - everyone except for Hannah and Cordy.

"Did your parents not believe that Hogwarts would be safe?" Hermione asked, extending her own form of welcome as well.

"Something like that," Cordy replied with a shrug, but decidedly not volunteering any further information.

"Well, they were quite correct, weren't they?" Luna noted, and Harry felt a bit uncomfortable when he saw her look at Ginny. "Hogwarts wasn't very safe at all last year."

"No," Harry agreed solemnly, and silently prayed for someone - anyone - to change the topic.

"Right," Cordy said uncomfortably, and then paused as her gaze shifted towards Harry, who's hair had just shifted away from his forehead as he rearranged himself to let Ginny sit on his lap. "Ah, you're that Harry then?" she asked rhetorically.

He grimaced, and the resignation was clear in his tone when he spoke. He knew he tensed slightly - it was unavoidable, really, an unconscious reaction by this point - but he was able to let go of that feeling quickly when Ginny's other arm gave a subtle squeeze around his waist. "Yeah," he said, and then adopted a half-smile. "Apparently I'm famous."

Ginny rolled her eyes - as did Hermione - but Cordy surprised everyone by letting out a bark of laughter. "Fair enough, mate. Not sure if there's enough who've said it - not and meant it properly - but thanks."

Harry accepted the words with a nod. They threw him a bit, however, not because of what she had said, but how she said it. Harry's intuition - which seemed to be telling him quite a bit lately - told him that Cordelia (Cordy!) had a very personal reason to be thankful that Harry had defeated Tom Riddle. It was a curiosity about her, Harry thought, and believed that it would only be the first of many.

"Of course," Cordy continued, a devilish glint in her eyes that reminded him far too much of Ginny, "I did hear about that naked Quidditch match of yours."

Harry and Ron - and several of the other boys groaned at the same time. "Bloody hell!" Ron cursed. "Not that rumor again!"

That particular rumor, of course, had been run in the Quibbler during Harry's sixth year. Ginny had teased the hell out of Harry over it when they'd first gotten together.

"Oh," Cordy said, clearly disappointed by the answer. "That one's not true, then?"

"No!" Harry and Ron responded in unison, and laughter rang out in the small compartment once more.

Ron took it upon himself to change the topic then, and Harry noted that attention was still firmly on the newcomer in their midst. "So you've been at Durmstrang all this time, then?" Ron asked, "Why don't you sound like it?"

"Probably because I'm from London," Cordy shrugged. "I just went to school at Durmstrang, always came home for holidays." She looked thoughtful for a second as she looked at Hermione. "Granger, right?" she asked, and Hermione nodded, her face curious.

"Professor Krum told me to give you his regards," she grinned, and Harry bit his tongue as Ron lost his smile.

"Professor Krum?!" he asked, and Cordy looked askance at him as Hermione smiled warmly.

"I'll have to send Viktor a letter," the bushy-haired witch noted, pointedly ignoring her boyfriend's stunned expression.

Ron seemed shocked into a stupor at that information, and Harry turned his attention back to Ginny as Hermione, Neville, Susan and Hannah engaged the apparent newest member of their group in conversation. He knew Hermione was just winding Ron up, of course, and as fun as that was to watch, he wasn't in the mood for it just now.

"Did you see how Hannah was looking at Neville when they came back?" Ginny whispered to him, and Harry shook his head. He was unable to keep his eyes from immediately seeking out Neville, Susan and Hannah, and he tried to see what Ginny was talking about. Whatever it was wasn't immediately apparent, as all three were talking animatedly to Cordy, just as Dean and Luna, Blaise and Daphne, and Seamus and Lavender were speaking quietly to themselves. Well, the first two were speaking. Seamus and Lavender were otherwise engaged, and didn't seem to care one whit that they weren't alone.

The redhead grinned. "Susan's got some competition, unless I'm much mistaken."

Harry raised his eyebrows. "Hannah? Really?"

Ginny nodded.

"Hunh," Harry said. "Y'know, I could see -" he started, but his words died on his lips as the door to the compartment slid open.

An oddly-dressed young wizard, wearing Hufflepuff colors and with a surprising number of pouches and belts on his robes, entered. He was wearing a hat that Harry had only seen on the telly, with that Australian bloke who was always doing mad things like sticking his head in a crocodile's mouth. He was certainly one of the more unusually-dressed wizards Harry had seen, and that was saying rather a lot.

"Dreadfully sorry," the newcomer said, as Harry caught his eye and gave him a quizzical glance. It wasn't uncommon for younger students to seek out the Head Girl or Boy to help with some situation on the train, but this bloke looked like a sixth-or a seventh- year, so he was a bit of a surprise. "But have any of you seen Luna Lovego-"

"ROLF!" came the sudden shriek from next to Dean, and jaws dropped all throughout the compartment as everyone watched Luna Lovegood launch herself from the bench and essentially tackle the young wizard who'd just entered.

"Blimey, I've never seen her that excited," Ron was the first to say. The newcomer's arrival seemed to have shaken him from his stupor about 'Professor Krum'.

"Me neither," Neville, Ginny, Harry and Hermione all responded at the same time. To say that Luna's exuberance was unexpected was putting it a bit mildly.

Luna, at this point, was speaking very rapidly to the new bloke - and he seemed just as excited to see her. And Harry imagined that if he could see all the little touches and not-so-subtle affectionate body language going on between the two, then Dean bloody well wasn't missing a thing. A quick glance towards his roommate confirmed that his expression had darkened, and Harry grimaced. Time to head off a problem, he realized, and cleared his throat. "Uh, Luna?" he called.

"Yes, Harry?" Luna asked distractedly, not even turning to face him.

"Friend of yours?" he asked pointedly, and was gratified to see Luna's mouth transform into a small 'o'.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Yes, this is Rolf Scamander. Ginny, you recall him, of course? He went away in third year to -" she frowned a moment, as though she was trying to recall the exact wording, and looked to Rolf.

"I've been in Brazil with my father and grandfather, attending DeSanto's Escola de Magecraft, and studying magizoology," Rolf supplied readily. "They've a great number of fascinating magical species in the rain forest, although the Muggles keep killing them off. We were part of a large project to try to relocate several species -"

"Oh!" Luna said excitedly, "Did you find a crumple-horned -"

"Snorkack?" Rolf finished for her, and his face fell. "Sadly, no. We -"

"Luna...." Harry interjected, drawing the pair's attention back once more.


"Right," Luna nodded, and started pointing at the other members of the compartment. "This is Hermione - she's very bright, really, and much more imaginative than she used to be. That's her boyfriend Ronald - he thinks you're absolutely perfect for me. That's Neville, who is a very, very sweet boy, and Susan, who I don't know very well, I'm sorry to say. They're both very good at Herbology, however, and they helped me pass my OWL. I'm terrible with plants, you see. That's Hannah - her uncle runs the Leaky Cauldron, and this is Seamus. He's a bit too fond of alcohol, really, but he says that's all right because he's Irish. That's Lavender. She was attacked by a werewolf, but she's really become a much more pleasant person since, and Seamus doesn't mind her scars at all. I think they're quite pretty, myself, - "

Ginny coughed, even as Lavender's face took on a stunned expression. Seamus and Lavender were among those the least used to the blonde Ravenclaw, and Blaise and Daphne looked as though they were about to be overcome with laughter. "Luna..."

"Right, sorry," the blonde girl nodded, and Harry raised his eyebrows. Clearly Luna had grown as much as Neville or Ginny - or the rest of them - had, if she was starting to recognize when she was being a little too blunt. Though she did still need some prompting, it seemed. "You know Ginny, of course,"

"Rolf," Ginny said in greeting, suppressing her wide grin at Luna's introductions.

"Ginny," the tow-headed young wizard smiled - and didn't bother to hold back his grin at all.

Luna continued on the moment Rolf's mouth shut. "And that's her boyfriend Harry, who doesn't like at all how famous he is, so please treat him normally. He'll very much appreciate that."

Harry just shrugged when Ron winced and glanced over at him. "Well, she's right," he added frankly. Luna often was.

"This is Blaise and Daphne. They're Slytherins, but they're quite decent actually. It makes for a refreshing change. This is our new friend Cordy. She's starting at Hogwarts for her seventh year, as her parents think its safe now. That's not all of her story, of course, but we've only just met her. Over there is Dean, my boyfriend,"

Harry bit his lip when he saw Rolf's expression darken slightly at the term. Clearly Dean wasn't going to be the only problem in this burgeoning love triangle. If that was the worst Harry would have to deal with in his last year at Hogwarts, he decided, then the change was well worth it.

"He"s rather cross with me right now. He thinks you're going to take me away from him," Luna explained plainly as several people's jaws dropped. Harry couldn't tell why they were surprised - this was Luna, after all. "That's already happened to him once, you see, so he's a bit - "

"Luna!" Ginny yelled, and the blonde stopped.

Harry cast Dean a sympathetic gaze, who just let out a heavy sigh. Just for a moment, Harry thought he saw something in his friend's expression towards him, but whatever it was vanished quickly. Once before - did Luna mean me and Ginny?, Harry wondered uncomfortably.

Harry had thought Dean was fine with things, but... Harry just winced slightly, and tried to silently convey to Dean his apologies if that were the case. Clearly Romilda wasn't the only bit of unfinished business. The message seemed to be received - Dean gave him an understanding nod back, and then the dark-skinned wizard looked toward the newcomer. "Good to meet you, Rolf," Dean said, and extended a hand.

The oddly-attired Hufflepuff recognized the gesture for what it was, and decided to take it, much to Harry's relief. "Good to meet you, Dean," he said, and then looked around. "Erm, good to meet all of you, actually. Is there room for one more in here?"

It was Seamus who answered, "Join the party, mate."

As Rolf settled in, Harry took note of the fact that they had members of all four Houses here. He considered how nice it was for them to all be together in a compartment like this, and finally decided on how to share something he'd done over the summer. "Oi - everyone. Little announcement. Don't mention it in front of the Staff, but when you go into your common rooms this term; you're going to find something new -"

Harry was cut off once more by the arrival of the food trolley. Several people looked at him expectantly, but he just shook his head. "Never mind - it'll keep," he said, and started to reach for his money pouch.

His hand was stopped by Ron's, who was grinning widely. Harry looked at him quizzically until Ron grabbed his own pouch, and looked squarely-at the round-faced witch who pushed the food cart. "We'll take the lot," Ron told her.

Harry grinned as Ron echoed Harry's own words from the first day they'd met. He understood, as well, what it meant for Ron to be able to say them.

The chatter of conversation resumed as everyone selected their favorite snacks. By unspoken agreement, Harry and Ron had both decided to start with Chocolate Frogs. When they looked to see what cards they'd gotten, however, both received a shock they were ill-prepared for.

Their actions were oddly synchronized, as they stared at the cards in their hand in unabashed shock.

"Bloody hell!" Ron cursed first, followed only a half-second later by Harry muttering the same words.

The twin curses brought the attention of the entire compartment to them, and Ginny and Hermione looked at the pair most curiously. "Harry, luv?" Ginny asked, concerned. "What is it?"

Harry and Ron held up the cards in unison. The one in Harry's hands bore a likeness of himself, as did Ron's. Both were pictures taken from the Order of Merlin ceremony, earlier that summer. Ginny and Hermione, from their positions on either side of the two wizards, could easily read the text.

- - - - -

Harry James Potter
Order of Merlin, First Class
Founder, Dumbledore's Army; Member, Order of the Phoenix

Known as both 'the Boy-Who-Lived' and 'The Chosen One', Potter is most famous for his defeats of the Dark Wizard Voldemort in 1981 and 1998. Potter continued to distinguish himself assisting in the reconstruction of Hogwarts Castle in 1998. He, along with Ron Weasley, is the youngest person to join the Auror's Department, and is currently attending his final year at Hogwarts, where he is Head Boy, and Co-Captain and Seeker of the Gryffindor House Team. Also the youngest Seeker in a century (11yrs - 1991), Triwizard Champion (1994-5), and the wealthiest young wizard in Britain. He enjoys Chocolate Frogs and is rumored to be romantically involved with one Ginevra M. Weasley. He is also widely referred to as "Dumbledore's Apprentice."

- - - - -
Ronald Bilius Weasley
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Member, Dumbledore's Army, Order of the Phoenix


Right-hand wizard to Harry Potter, Weasley has been Potter's constant companion since the age of 11. Provided crucial assistance to Potter in several adventures in their Hogwarts years, including assisting in the defeat of the Dark Wizard Voldemort. Currently attending his final year at Hogwarts, where he is a House Prefect, and Co-Captain and Keeper of the Gryffindor House team. Part of an influential Pure-blood family, Weasley has been romantically linked to Muggle-born Hermione J. Granger. A brilliant chess player, and noted among his friends for his strong sense of loyalty. Weasley also joins Harry Potter as the youngest people to join the Auror's Department.

- - - - - -

"Dumbledore's Apprentice?!" Harry muttered in shock. "Where the bloody hell did they get that idea from?" he asked, looking to Ginny, who was trying very hard not to laugh.

"Shut it, you," Ron snapped immediately, a dreamy smile on his face as he held up the card. "This is the finest moment of my life, and I'll not have you ruining it."

Harry grinned back. "It is pretty bloody brilliant, isn't it?"

"Too right it is," Ron said firmly.

"Merlin," Ginny muttered. "You two are unbelievable."

Harry held up something from the next Chocolate Frog he'd opened. "Guess you'll not be wanting your card, then?"

"What?" Ginny yelled, and quickly yanked it out of his hand, a dreamy smile similar to Ron's overcoming her as she reviewed its contents. Checks of further Frogs revealed that Hermione, Neville and Luna all had cards as well, and Luna finally admitted that she'd already known, and showed them all an advertisement in the Quibbler that revealed that there was an entire line of Chocolate Frog Cards dedicated to Dumbledore's Army and the Order of the Phoenix both.

Harry stood by his agreement with Ron, and decided that that little card was infinitely more valuable to him that any awards or accolades the Ministry or the papers could heap on him.

At the thought, the small picture on the card winked up at him, and then departed its small pasteboard frame.


- - - - - - - - -



Hours later, Harry and Hermione reluctantly separated themselves from Ginny and Ron and the rest, in order to perform their patrol. It had been a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon of everyone just being teenagers. Harry found his thoughts often straying to how nice such simple days were, and then Ginny would chide him for obsessing. It wasn't as though she didn't do the same sometimes, and granted, both had a fair number of reasons to do so. But they drew strength from each other as well, and Harry had found that she was what always got him through the rough patches. He knew he did the same for her, as well, and Harry was well-pleased with that. It was, he had decided, the way things should be.

Still, the afternoon fun was not completely devoid of responsibilities. As Head Boy and Girl, Harry and Hermione had the task of taking the last shift patrolling the Hogwarts Express, so that they could facilitate the off-loading of the train and help the first-years to find Hagrid.

Of course, Harry thought, if anyone can't find Hagrid, they need their eyes checked. Ears too, probably.

They encountered little of interest on their patrol, and discussed nothing much in particular. This was to say that mostly Hermione talked, and Harry listened. Neither seemed to mind the arrangement much, and it passed the time. Harry made occasional pointed comments, and that would keep the bushy-haired witch going as they walked.

As they were approaching about the last few compartments, Harry stopped, and looked to his oldest female friend. "Hermione?" he asked.

"Yes, Harry?" she answered, turning towards him with a curious expression.

"Does the train seem like it's... longer this year to you?" Harry felt silly even asking the question, but he couldn't shake the feeling that the train was, in fact, longer than it had always been.

She nodded, and the ghost of a smile danced across her lips. "That's because it is, Harry. The Hogwarts Express is charmed so that it always has exactly the number of compartments it needs to fit all the students and their luggage. With the larger student body, the train's enlarged itself as well."

"Good to know I wasn't imagining it, then," he nodded, and resumed his walk. He wondered if he would ever stop being surprised by magic, and the little boy in him hoped he never would be. It would take away some of the joy, Harry decided, to know everything.

Not that that seemed to stop Hermione from wanting to try, of course. Harry was about to say something to that effect when he saw the occupant of the train's final compartment. He had been relieved at that particular absence so far, but it seemed as though the fates were not going to be that kind, and he blew out a heavy sigh. "Well, that answers that question."

"Draco Malfoy," Hermione said, recognizing the distinctive platinum blonde hair. It wasn't a question.

"Yeah," Harry answered, the pit in his stomach beginning to turn as he thought about what Ginny had been through last year - and the debt that he owed the Slytherin for that night. He owed Malfoy for not revealing them to his father and Bellatrix at Malfoy Manor last year as well, of course, though Harry considered that debt repaid after rescuing the Slytherin from the burning Room of Lost Things. The debt for what Malfoy had done for Ginny was a much larger one.

Frankly, Harry thought, Malfoy didn't look well. His robes looked like they must have been the same ones he'd worn last year, and were badly patched in some places. His hair was a bit more ragged than it had been in the past, and he looked thinner, as though he hadn't been eating well. His appearance in general was far from that of the immaculately hygienic boy that had been Harry's schoolyard nemesis all these years. Harry had thought that once Malfoy was headed back to school, things might improve for him somewhat. That was clearly not the case so far.

Malfoy also wasn't alone. He was talking urgently to Pansy Parkinson - and it was abundantly clear that they were arguing. It was heated enough that Harry was actually wondering if they should step in to do something. A glance at Hermione confirmed that she was contemplating the same. He was looking at her as he saw the flash of decision enter Hermione's eyes, and she pointed her wand towards the half-drawn shades of Malfoy's compartment.

"Clairaudio," she muttered, and Harry recognized her use of the eavesdropping spell that they'd made so much use of in their preparations to break into the Ministry of Magic.

Draco's and Pansy's voices then wafted through the closed door of the compartment, as though the barrier wasn't even there.

"-then how are we supposed to be married, Draco?" Pansy asked stridently. "What's the point of it? You've lost everything. Your family has nothing. No one - no one who matters - even respects the Malfoy name these days."

"Oh, you've been paying attention," the blond shot back sarcastically, and Harry was strangely gratified to see a bit of the old Malfoy peeking through.

"Our betrothal was a magical contract, Malfoy," Pansy said, and Harry and Hermione both pulled back from the venom in her tone. Hermione mouthed the question 'Betrothal? at Harry, who just shrugged. Harry hadn't been aware that things like betrothals and arranged marriages still went on in some parts of Wizarding society, but with the way some of the old Pureblood families were, it was hardly a surprise. Parkinson's tone grew even more venomous as she delivered her ultimatum. "But if you can't fill your end of the bargain anymore, then I want out."

"Done!" Draco said instantly, and with a vehemence that plainly shocked both Harry and Hermione. They had always thought that Draco and Pansy were, well, perfect for each other. Clearly the blond wizard felt differently. "I never wanted to wed you in the first place, you pug-faced cow!"

"At least my family still has some standing," Pansy shot back as they joined their wands together, and uttered the words that broke the contract made when they were only children. "At least our name still means something."

"You can keep it," Draco responded bitterly, and didn't say another word until Pansy left.

As she came out of the compartment, Harry and Hermione made no pretense at not having been there. The dark-haired Slytherin's eyes narrowed at the pair of them, but she made no insulting comments, and just bumped shoulders with Hermione as she passed. Harry rolled his eyes at the behavior, but Hermione launched a frosty glare at the other girl as she walked - stalked, really - away.

Harry bit the inside of his lip for a moment, and then came to a decision. No one deserved to be alone after something like that. Not even Malfoy. He poked his head inside the compartment to find Draco sitting there, friendless and alone. "Malfoy," he said in greeting.

Draco's eyes darted up, and he exhaled heavily and cursed under his breath as he identified his visitor. His voice was tired - he plainly hadn't the desire - or perhaps, the energy - for another confrontation. "What do you want, Potter?"

"I was patrolling," Harry answered neutrally, pointing at the 'Head Boy' badge that hung on the outside of his robes. "Hermione and I overheard. I'm sorry about Pansy."

Malfoy snorted. "I'm not," he answered honestly, before he considered who he was talking to. "You've had your laugh now, so just... go on."

Harry was taken aback by Malfoy's total lack of bluster. It was so uncharacteristic of the wizard he knew, and was further cementing the idea that was beginning to take hold in his mind. He decided that now was as good a time as any to at least plant the appropriate seeds. If what Harry was thinking was possible, it was going to take a great deal of work - on both of their parts.

"I expect you want to be alone," Harry said, not unkindly. "So I'll leave you to it. But if you ever need to talk, Draco," Harry said, very aware that he had just referred to the other by his given name for the first time in their long association. "Then... well, I'll be around."

It wasn't much. But it was olive branch of sorts, and well, Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Draco didn't respond, and simply looked away when Harry stopped talking. Harry left without another word; feeling slightly conflicted over the whole thing, but mostly as though a weight had been removed. When he examined that feeling, he realized that he no longer hated Draco Malfoy. He didn't like the other wizard, of course, and sincerely doubted they would ever become friends. But Harry had realized that hate was tiresome work, and he felt the better for letting go of it.

Well, wands weren't drawn. That's a start, right? Harry asked himself optimistically as he rejoined Hermione.

Hermione was giving Harry an unabashed look of appraisal when he came out. "What prompted that?" she asked immediately. Her astonishment was abundantly clear in her tone.

Harry started to answer, but didn't know how to explain without breaking Ginny's confidence. "I owe him," he finally said. "The least I can do is give him a shot at being a decent human being."

It was clear Hermione still didn't understand why, but for the time being at least, she simply accepted it with a nod. "Good luck," she added, and Harry knew she meant it honestly.

Any further conversation was forestalled by the train grinding to a stop - they had arrived in Hogsmeade. Harry and Hermione were immediately occupied with the business of directing people students off of the train, and Harry volunteered to start directing the traffic outside. The confines of the Hogwarts Express seemed just a bit too cramped at the moment, and he was eager to be out in the fresh air and under the stars once more.

He wasn't out for but a minute before he heard Hagrid's booming voice calling out: "Firs' years this way! Firs' years, over here now!"

Harry smiled, the words taking him back to the first time he'd ever stepped off of the train, and waved fondly to his overly-large friend. "All right there, Hagrid?" he called with a grin.

Hagrid's mountainous smile grew wide at the sight of Harry, and he readily returned the wave, "All right, Harry. You?"

Harry thought about it for a moment, and he took in the familiar lights of the castle in the distance, and the presence of Ginny and Ron as they rejoined him. His gaze flicked over from the castle to the diminutive redhead who wrapped herself around his side as a precaution against the chill in the air, and Harry's grin got even wider as he answered, "Couldn't be better, Hagrid."

Between Ginny's presence, being back at Hogwarts, and the fact that no one was out to kill him anymore, the answer was even completely truthful.

Harry looked back at Hogwarts in the distance once again. Simply put... it was good to be back, and Harry was very much looking forward to a nice, easy, non-life-threatening year.

"Couldn't be better," he said again, quieter, slipping an arm around Ginny as they moved towards the carriages. She smiled at the words. If no one else did, Ginny understood him.
Reviews 306
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear