Search:

SIYE Time:12:11 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Protection
By PrincessPotter

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 558
Summary: This is a story about love. Love that is new and love that is old and a love that threatens to destroy everything. In a post-Voldemort world, Harry is assigned to protect Ginny from a dangerous dark wizard who has singled her out. As their love grows, the line between good and evil begins to blur as finding the truth becomes a test of trust. Through AU and canon and everything in between, this is their journey.
Hitcount: Story Total: 221496; Chapter Total: 22413
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
This story begins when Harry is 25...he has defeated Voldemort and become an Auror. It follows Canon through book six except for the tiny detail that you need to erase Ginny from the books. In this "reality," Ginny, not wanting to be just another in a line of Weasleys and wanting to become a healer, chose to go to Beauxbatons and thus does not know Harry. - - I know I know... but please don't be too alarmed; this is as you know fanfiction. So much can happen and it’s ultimately about love. I hope you enjoy. ~ Princess. :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A NEW ASSIGNMENT
Chapter One



The morning sun was streaming through the window, adding warmth to the otherwise stale and silent office. The large open room was empty except for one desk, where a young man was asleep on a pile of papers, his glasses pressing into his cheek and his black hair as messy as always.

It was six thirty in the morning, and as usual, twenty-five year old Harry Potter was alone in the Auror office. Having become a bit obsessed with the Malfoy case, he hadn’t felt like going home. Instead he stayed, reading report after report until he finally fell asleep from exhaustion.

He was enjoying a very pleasant dream involving brooms and open skies when a slap on the head brought him crashing back down to his desk.

“Hey,” he grumbled. Pulling himself up he pealed his glasses from his skin and settled them back into their correct position. When he did Ron Weasley came into focus as he sat down at his desk opposite Harry.

“Did you sleep here again?” Ron asked incredulously as he folded his arms behind his head and leaned back in his chair. “You’re going to make yourself sick, Harry,” he warned as he watched his friend stand up.

“I’m fine,” Harry yawned before stretching his arms over his head.

“Did you center?” Ron asked frowning when he felt the magical energy flowing off of him as he stretched. “You can’t keep falling asleep here,” he insisted as Harry headed off to get some coffee.

“We thought you were coming over last night,” Ron called but Harry just waved him off. “Hey, when you don’t show up I’m the one who has to deal with Hermione!” Ron yelled after him as he disappeared around the corner. “Have some pity, mate!”

~..~..~..~..~..~

Later that morning Harry and Ron were sitting quietly, going over some new intel, when a file appeared in the inbox on Harry’s desk.

He picked it up, thankful for something new to look at. This would be his new assignment and he prayed that Remus had forgiven him for the incident in Kent.

This can’t be right, he thought as he read the file.

“Hey,” Harry frowned as he looked up at Ron. “Has Remus mentioned my assignment?”

“Not to me,” Ron replied, not bothering to raise his eyes from the parchment in front of him. “Why?”

Harry tossed him the heavily laden file. It sent the rest of his papers flying haphazardly off the desk as it landed in front of him.

Ron shot him a look of annoyance as he picked it up. Skimming it quickly, his eyes widened as he began flipping through the parchment.

“What’s this?” Ron asked when he finally looked up.

“My latest assignment.”

“What? Why?”

“Apparently Malfoy’s chosen his target," Harry replied grimly.

He watched silently as Ron’s face paled.

“But…I mean…he doesn’t even know her…” Ron stammered before trailing off as he looked back at the file. Slowly his face filled with anger as he read the notes inside. “This is just like something he’d do, isn’t it?” Looking back up at Harry he considered him for a moment before furrowing his brow. “But why is it assigned to you?”


"Remus seems bent on punishing me forever, it seems,” Harry sighed, slumping down in his chair.

“Hey, this isn’t one of your crap jobs because you can’t do as you’re told, Harry,” Ron replied his eyes flashing. “This is my sister.”

“I know,” Harry nodded. “I just mean I should be out searching for Malfoy…not just sitting around waiting for him to show up.”

“I know you don’t like being stuck on the sidelines, but you better do a bloody brilliant job of it in case he does…”

“Ron, you know I’d never let anything happen to her,” Harry assured him.

“I know…I just…I can’t believe it,” he said, shaking his head as he looked back down at the file. “Bloody Malfoy, we should’ve killed him at school.”

“How do you think she’s going to take it?” Harry asked, watching Ron’s face become a little frightened before he looked back up to answer.

“Blimey, she’s going to be pissed. I’d hate to be you, Harry.”

“Me?” Harry chuckled, raising his eyebrow. “You’re the one who’s going to tell her.”

“No way,” Ron shook his head.

~..~..~..~..~..~..~

It didn’t take long for Lupin to call Harry into his office to officially go over his assignment. Although Harry made his displeasure known Lupin showed no signs of letting him off the hook.

“This is where you’re needed,” he insisted as he paced behind his desk.

Harry lounged in a chair facing him, balancing on the back two legs as he dropped his head back.

“But, I’m more help searching,” Harry groaned. “Get one of the younger guys to do this. What about Mullinsky? He’s…”

“This is too important and you know it,” Remus interrupted pausing to give him an irritated glance. Going back to pacing he shook his head. “She’s powerful, Harry.”

“How powerful?” Harry asked quirking his brow.

“Powerful enough that if he uses her it would only make things worse,” he sighed, rubbing his eyes as he came to a stop again. “Not to mention she’s a Weasley,” Lupin pointed out, shooting him a pointed look. “Ron’s sister.”

“I know,” Harry sighed as he let the front two legs of the chair drop back to the floor.

“And would youlike to explain to her mother why the best person for the job isn’t guarding her?” he asked, turning toward him.

Harry glared at him, crossing his arms over his chest as he frowned back.

“This is a serious assignment, Harry and will be treated as such,” Lupin continued.

For a moment Harry watched as his superior resumed pacing behind his desk, his brow furrowed in thought. Abruptly, Remus turned and sat back down in his chair. Regarding Harry closely, he leaned toward him resting his hands on the desk.

“I want this done by the book, do you understand me? No fooling around, no doing your own thing.”

“Look I’ve said I’m sorry about Kent,” Harry said. “It won’t happen again. What do I…”

“That’s not what this is about,” Lupin interrupted sharply. “I wouldn’t assign you to guard Arthur and Molly’s only daughter as a punishment.”

At the mention of the Weasleys, Harry frowned, rubbing the back of his neck as he considered what they must be feeling right now.

“Do they know?”

“Yes,” Lupin nodded. “I’m not anticipating that it will take much longer to find Malfoy so you won’t be with her long,” Lupin added, “but you’re to be professional with her at all times. Forming an attachment or relationship is, as you know, unacceptable. You’re priority is keeping your mind focused and under control so that you’re able to…”

“Lupin…”

“I mean it, Harry,” Remus insisted, his expression serious. “This is a job. She’s under Ministry protection and it’s my responsibility and yours to…”

Moony,” Harry interrupted irritably. “I know the rules. She’s Ron’s baby sister for Merlin’s sake. Of course, I’ll be professional,” he said making a face. “She’s only what…seventeen or something anyway, right?”

Trying to picture her, Harry couldn’t even remember the last time he’d seen her. He had vague memories of Ron’s little sister from when he was young at the Burrow, but beyond that he’d rarely seen her because she hadn’t gone to Hogwarts.

“She’s not a child, she’s twenty-four,” Lupin corrected, “and you’re to treat her the way you would any other witch.”

“Make up your mind,” Harry told him as he broke into a cheeky grin. “Do you want me to be professional or treat her like any other witch?”

Harry…” Lupin warned, his expression turning dark.

“I’m joking,” Harry rolled his eyes. “Merlin, what’s with you today?”

“What’s with me is that we’re about to have to tell this girl that an evil, crazy wizard has singled her out for something horrible,” Lupin snapped slapping his palm on top of his desk. “I need to know you’re taking it seriously and treating it with the caution and professionalism Ron’s sister demands.”

“I’d never let anything happen to her, Lupin” Harry replied, stiffening as all amusement left from his expression. “I know how to do my job…we both know that. You just need to find Malfoy.”

~..~..~..~..~..~..~

Sever al hours later, Harry stood at the two-way mirror of the conference room watching the petite redhead pace inside. Ron was with her. He was trying to talk to her but wasn’t having much luck.

So far she’d proven to be stubborn and seemingly unconvinced by her brother’s claims that she was in danger.

Following her progress as she moved within the room, Harry listened to a few more seconds of their conversation.

“Ronald, I’m not a child,” Ginny declared as she stormed away from her brother once again.

“I know that, Ginny, but this wizard is powerful and dangerous, and he seems to have singled you out.”

“But I don’t even know a Draco,” Ginny huffed, spinning back toward him, “or any other Malfoy for that matter.”

“Look, Gin, this is for your own — Ginny! Where are you going?”

“I don’t have to stay here, Ronald,” she said as she walked to the door. “I don’t need a babysitter!”

Reaching for the handle she stopped in surprise when it suddenly opened. Looking up at the man before her, her breath caught. He was tall and well built, with messy black hair and penetrating green eyes; eyes that were looking straight into her.

“Who are you?” she demanded, a little flustered.

Harry didn’t answer right away, startled by the woman before him. Her eyes were blazing, enhancing her beauty and he gave his insides a stern shake, shoving down the desire that had unexpectedly roared to life inside of him.

“Your babysitter,” he said after a second.

Her eyes flashed as he took her by the arm, leading her back to the table before she could respond.

Jerking her arm out of his grasp she plopped unhappily into the chair.

“Well, I'll tell you the same thing I told my brother,” she warned, glancing up at Harry with a look of contempt. “I don’t need a babysitter. And I certainly don’t know any Malfoys. You have the wrong person.”

Harry didn’t respond, he just looked up at Ron, who shrugged from behind her. Laying the file he had onto the table Harry slid it in front of her.

Glaring up at him, her eyes flicked to his forehead as he raked his fingers though his hair revealing the lighting bolt scar.

Harry saw the surprise flick across her face but she quickly covered it and pulled the file toward her. She was just jerking it open when Ron made the unnecessary introduction.

“Ginny — Harry. Harry — my sister, Ginny.”

Of course this is Harry Potter, she thought, feeling ridiculously dumb that she hadn’t recognized him immediately from the pictures of him all over the papers.

All she knew about him, beyond what was common knowledge in the wizarding world, was that he was Ron’s friend and they worked together. He certainly wasn’t the little boy with baggy clothes and round glasses she remembered from her childhood.

Any thoughts about Harry Potter, however, trailed off as she began looking at the contents of the file.

Rounding the table, Harry watched her as she looked at the pictures. He saw the annoyance fade from her face, her brow furrowing in confusion as she flipped through the pages.

“Do you know him?” he asked after a minute.

“This is Draco Malfoy?” she asked as she looked up.

“So you do know him,” Harry said, taking the seat across from her as she looked back down at the pictures.

“I know…well, I know James. This is James," she said, her voice confused as she pointed at Malfoy's face. "I met him at the hospital. His mother was ill or something…this is Malfoy?”

“He said his name was James?” Harry asked, his eyes narrowing.

When she nodded yes, he cursed under his breath.

He did that on purpose, the arse.

“How well do you know him?”

“Um,” Ginny looked up, her eyes flicking to Ron for a second before returning to Harry's face. “I don’t know him that well,” she said suddenly nervous.

“Has he been to your flat?”

“No. We’ve had lunch at…at the hospital,” she explained, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear distractedly. “He asked me to go out with him for more than lunch, but I always said no…”

Trailing off, Ginny glanced at the door when it opened.

“Good Afternoon, Ms. Weasley,” Remus greeted her as he entered the room.

Rising from the table, Harry moved to stand against the wall while Remus took the chair he’d vacated. He watched Ginny silently while Remus tried to explain the situation, but he didn’t seem to be having much more luck than Ron.

“…I understand your apprehensions, Miss Wealsey, but what Malfoy is trying to do is very dangerous. If he succeeds he’ll be extremely powerful...”

“But what does it have to do with me?” Ginny interrupted, watching him shift uncomfortably in his seat.

When he didn’t answer right away, she looked up to see Ron staring at his feet. Her eyes drifted to Harry to find he was still watching her, but with an unreadable expression.

“Ron?” she asked, suddenly feeling nervous.

“Well,” he looked up at his sister before clearing his throat, “the ritual requires the blood of a Pureblood and a… a…” Ron trailed off, his face as red as his hair.

“A what?” Ginny urged, not following.

“A…well a…um…”

“A virgin,” Harry finished plainly from the wall and her eyes shot to his. “To secure his power,” he explained his voice softening slightly at her expression. “Malfoy needs to take the innocence of a Pureblood witch.”

Ginny opened her mouth and then shut it, feeling her face become hot. Suddenly, she shot out of her chair.

“So you’re telling me that…that this Malfoy needs to sleep with a Pureblood virgin to complete some sort of dark ritual, and you think he's chosen me?” she asked as she crossed her arms and glared at her brother. “How do you even know if I’m a virgin, Ronald?”

Ron’s face was now more of a purple. When he opened his mouth to respond nothing came out so Harry spoke instead.

“Aren’t you?”

“That’s none of your business,” Ginny’s snapped as her gaze flew back to his and her blush deepened.

“Malfoy’s made it my business.”

Harry,” Ron intervened, shooting him a look of warning.

“What?” Harry replied, not moving from his position, as he waited for her answer. “If she’s not then…”

“Enough,” Ron snapped, seeing the murderous expression on his sister’s face. “Gin you don’t…”

“Look…” Ginny interrupted tightly, “I’m sure there are plenty of Purebloods he can choose from. I don’t see why he would choose me…He doesn’t even know me.”

“No…but he knows me,” Ron murmured, causing everyone’s gaze to move to him.

“Ron,” Ginny began in confusion as she read the apology on his face. “What…”

“Miss Weasley, I know this is difficult, but this is a very serious situation,” Remus said, cutting her off. “We know that you’re his target and whether you want us to or not, we are going to protect you. We're protecting the entire Wizarding world by doing this, not just you.”

“Well, I can’t just put my life on hold,” Ginny insisted as she uncrossed her arms. “I have a job and things that I need to get done.”

“We understand that,” Remus nodded, “and we don’t expect you to give up your life if we can avoid it.”

“If you can avoid it?” she repeated her brow furrowing.

“Yes,” Remus replied firmly. “We’re hoping to keep things as normal as possible,” he assured her. “That’s why Potter,” he explained, jerking his head in Harry’s direction, “is going to be guarding you. He’ll basically be your shadow, going to work with you or wherever else you need to go and staying at your flat until we can find Malfoy.”

“Staying in my flat?!” she shot, her eyes widening. “I don’t think so!”

“It’s not negotiable,” Harry countered evenly.

Ginny looked back and forth between them, trying to decide if it was a joke before she spoke.

“Are you telling me,” she said slowly, as if talking to a child, “that your big plan for protection is to have the most famous wizard in the world, a known Auror, follow me around?

I’m not that famous, Harry thought indignantly from his spot against the wall, at least not on purpose.

“Don’t you think that will just tell him you know what he’s up to?” she demanded.

Silence fell over the room as Remus and Ron tried to come up with a response. Their struggle was quickly ended though, because at that moment, Albus Dumbledore came into the room.

“A very good question, Miss Weasley,” he said with a smile, gazing at her over his half moon spectacles. “But he already knows we're onto him, and Harry is the only one I trust enough to protect you if the time comes.”

Harry looked at Dumbledore and then back at Ginny. As he stared at her for a second, he had the strangest feeling…almost like she could see straight into him.

Finally, he dragged his eyes away, staring at the floor as he considered Dumbledore’s words. He knew what he meant, but he wasn’t sure he would be protecting anyone if it came to that.

~..~..~..~..~..~

It took several more minutes to convince Ginny that Harry’s assignment was the best plan. She finally grudgingly agreed to what they wanted but she wasn’t happy about it.

Left alone in the room while the final details were worked out, Ginny sat at the table in silence. She had no idea how long she’d been at the Ministry and she glanced around looking for a clock. Not finding one, her eyes moved back to the open file before her.

For a few seconds she stared at Malfoy’s face glaring up at her before finally shoving the file away. The legs of her chair skipped noisily across the floor as she pushed it back and stood up.

Tucking her hair behind her ears she made her way to the window. Ministry Maintenance had apparently charmed the window to depict a light snowfall. Considering that it was almost summer, Ginny couldn’t help but smile reluctantly as she watched the tiny white flecks meander past the window. The minutes inched by as she stared out, her eyes eventually losing focus as her mind raced.

“Ginny…”

Jumping slightly at the sound of her name, Ginny spun around to find Harry standing in the doorway. For a moment neither moved as they stared at each other.

Finally, Harry strode forward, holding her gaze as he crossed to her.

“Did you need to do anything today?” he asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Before you came here,” he clarified, “did you have any plans for today?”

“I’m supposed to be at work in…well…what time is it?” Ginny asked, automatically glancing around the room for a clock again even though she knew there wasn’t one.

“You don’t have to go today,” Harry responded as he came to a stop in front of her.

“What?” Ginny asked sharply, her gazing flying back to his.

“Lupin just left to floo there now. He’s going to be talking to Healer Martin and dealing with security and such. Was there anything else you needed to do?”

“Wait, you said I didn’t have to stop my life!” Ginny exclaimed.

“You don’t,” Harry promised, “not after today.”

“This is ridiculous, I’m going to work,” she declared shoving past him and crossing toward the door.

When the door swung shut in front of her she instantly pulled her wand.

“Alohamora,” she said firmly. When the door didn’t open she spun back around. “Let me out,” she ordered.

“You’re not going. It’s already done, Ginny,” Harry pointed out calmly as she glared at him. “We can leave whenever you’re ready but you’re not going to work.”

“I want to go to work,” she replied tightly.

“You can go tomorrow.”

Pressing her lips together in a thin line, Ginny studied him for a second before crossing her arms tightly over her chest.

“Fine…whatever. I’m ready to leave, then. I needed to go to the apothecary today, if that’s allowed,” she added sarcastically.

“It’s allowed,” Harry replied his voice suddenly annoyingly chipper as he walked past her and opened the door.

Spinning on her heel, Ginny glared at his back as she followed him to the lifts.

“Where’s Ron?” Ginny asked as she looked around the Auror office.

“Gone,” Harry replied, slowing his steps so that she could catch up.

“What do you mean, gone?” she demanded. “He just left me here?”

“Do you need him with you?” Harry asked, cocking his brow as he looked over at her.

“I don’t need him,” she rolled her eyes. “But he could have said he was leaving.”

The conversation lapsed quickly into silence as Harry and Ginny made their way out of the Ministry. Harry continued to watch her while Ginny seemed determined to look anywhere but at him.

“Would you rather apparate to Diagon Alley or take the Knight Bus?” he asked as he pushed open the door of the cramped phone booth and stepped out.

“Apparate,” Ginny decided, making a face at the thought of riding on the Knight Bus. The one time she’d ridden it several years before it had made her nauseous for the rest of the day.

“Ok,” Harry nodded, closing the distance between them.

“Wha…what are you doing?” Ginny demanded, backing up as he reached for her.

“Side-along is safest,” Harry explained following her retreat.

“I assure you,” Ginny replied crossly, “I’m perfectly capable of getting to Diagon Alley by myself…”

“Mhm,” Harry replied coming to a stop only when her hand landed on his chest to hold him away. “And what happens if Malfoy’s there when you arrive?”

Glaring at him, Ginny hesitated before dropping her hand with a huff.

“Side-along isn’t that bad,” Harry murmured as he stepped up to her. Slipping his hands around her waist he pulled her up against him.

Instantly uncomfortable with the close proximity, Ginny stared at the button of his shirt. His arms wrapped securely around her, his hands gripping her sides as she rested hers on his shoulders.

“One, two,” he counted softly, his breath rustling her hair as he tightened his hold on her. “Three,” he finished, turning on his heel and causing them to disappear with a small pop.

They reappeared almost immediately in an alley across the street from the Leaky Cauldron.

“Ugh,” Ginny grimaced pushing away from him and feeling like she’d just been shoved through a narrow tube. She’d never liked the sensation of side-along apparition; it made her feel out of control. “Happy?” she grumbled, running her fingers through her hair.

“Yep,” Harry smiled benignly.

Rolling her eyes at him, Ginny passed him and headed out of the alley.

“This is ridiculous, I don’t need a babysitter,” Ginny grumbled as she stepped off the curb to cross the street.

Reacting instantly, Harry grabbed her arms, yanking her back against him as a car zoomed past.

“You could have fooled me,” he said smugly into her ear causing her to jerk her arms out of his grasp.

I’m going to kill Remus for sticking me with this, he thought as he watched her storm away before he followed.

It took only a few minutes to make their way through the Leaky Cauldron to the familiar brick wall. With a few taps of Harry’s wand they were soon walking down the streets of Diagon Alley. With her hands tucked into her robes, Ginny walked beside Harry, unwilling to get drawn into conversation with him.

When she suddenly sped up, Harry grabbed her arm, pulling her back into step beside him.

“Don’t walk off,” he told her, ignoring her furious expression.

Watching her from the corner of his eye, Harry tried to decide if he was amused or annoyed by her stubbornness.

On one hand he was relieved that she hadn’t gotten emotional and started crying or become overwhelmed with fear. He also didn’t blame her for not wanting a guard, but the threat of Malfoy was real not something to be completely disregarded.

Reaching the Apothecary, Harry accompanied Ginny inside as she picked up what she needed. Soon they were back on the street, Ginny walking briskly a few paces ahead of him despite her instruction not to leave his side.

Harry caught up with her quickly, falling into step beside her as they made their way past the wizarding shops.

Knowing her flat wasn’t ready for them to return, Harry glanced around, spotting a small coffee shop a few doors down.

“Let’s go in here,” he said, putting his hand against Ginny’s lower back to steer her towards the door.

“I can walk on my own,” she glowered as she shook him off and stalked ahead. “And I don’t want to go in there,” she threw haughtily over her shoulder.

Seeing her walk away from him again, Harry reached the end of his patience. Setting his jaw, he caught up with her quickly, grabbing her arm and hauling her back toward the shop.

“Let go of me!” she exclaimed, attempting to jerk her arm out of his hold.

Spinning toward her, Harry pulled her close.

“You can’t just walk off, Ginny,” he ordered. Although he kept his voice low, the firmness of it was clear. “I know you’re not happy about this and I don’t blame you, but don’t be stupid.”

“Don’t manhandle me,” she shot back.

Gritting his teeth, Harry stared at her for a moment.

“This sort of situation, walking down a busy street,” he bit out, gesturing toward the people ambling by, oblivious to their presence, “is a perfect opportunity for Malfoy to try to take you.”

“I walked down this street yesterday and nothing…”

“Yesterday was different.”

Glaring up at him, Ginny remained silent.

“Look,” Harry said after a pause. “There’s no reason this has to be horrible. Let’s just go in, get something to drink and talk, ok?”

Considering him for a moment, Ginny finally huffed and looked down with a nod.

When then entered the diner, it was a small den-like space, with mismatched chairs and sofas placed around. There was a lone waitress sitting with some regulars.

Sipping her coffee, she didn’t bother to seat them and just waved them in. It was the kind of place that artists would like, with painted walls, handmade dishes and an air of artsy indifference.

When they were seated at a table near the back, Harry settled into a large cushy chair before sitting back and studying her.

As he watched her, she sat across from him, fiddling with a spoon and glaring at the room in general. Eventually she looked over at him, glaring at him too.

Unaffected by her cold nature, he continued to watch her steadily.

What?” she snapped after a minute as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

“I was just wondering when you were going to stop sulking,” he smirked at her tone.

“I’m not sulking,” she said folding her arms over her chest.

Ok, I’m sulking, her mind admitted. But he doesn’t have to know that.

“Oh,” Harry replied simply as his brow rose and his lips twitched, resisting a full-blown grin. “This is your ‘not sulking’ face. I’ll make a note of that.”

“Whatever,” she rolled her eyes. “Why don’t you just tell me how this is going to work exactly.”

Flicking his wand, Harry threw a silencing charm over them and leaned in a little.

Ginny rolled her eyes at him since there were only three other people in sight at the time and they were on the other side of the room.

“Well, like Remus said, I’m your shadow. We assume Malfoy's been watching you, so right now Ron and a team of Aurors are going through your flat, looking for surveillance charms and such. Once it’s clear we...”

“Wait, there are Aurors at my flat?” she interrupted him, giving him an affronted look. “Right now?”

“I’d be pissed too, but it had to be done,” he contended. “It was easier to do it when you weren’t there. At least, that’s what Ron thought…but regardless, we just need to go get my stuff and then I’ll be staying with you, going wherever you go.”

Ginny stared at him for a moment before she decided not to argue. The idea that someone had been watching her was a little too disturbing.

“So wherever I need to go,” she said slowly as she considered him, “you have to go with me?”

Harry nodded.

“When I go shopping you have to go too? If I go see a ridiculously girly muggle movie you have to see it too?”

Harry nodded again, suddenly not doubting by the gleam in her eye that she might actually take him shopping.

“What did you do?” she asked, raising her eyebrow. “Piss off the boss?”

“Something like that,” he laughed, running a hand through his hair.

They stayed at the coffee shop until Harry got the signal that her flat was clear. He paid for their drinks and they Apparated to his flat so that he could pick up some things before going to her place.

~..~..~..~..~..~..~

“But I mean…why do we even believe that I'm his target?” Ginny asked as he followed her into her kitchen, having deposited his things into the guest room.

“Well, our information is reliable, not to mention that choosing you hurts Ron,” Harry pointed out. “That only makes it sweeter for him,” he said.

“He doesn’t like Ron?” she asked as she pulled open a cabinet.

“He doesn’t like anyone close to me. Especially Ron,” Harry admitted as he watched her reach up to get a cup from the top shelf. “And you’re just his type,” he added as her shirt shifted up to expose a bit of her pale, flat stomach.

“Oh yeah?” she asked irritably as she turned toward him. “And what type is that?”

Harry dragged his eyes back up to her face, taking the cup she offered to him.

“Pureblood,” he replied as she moved to lean against the counter opposite him, “petite, strong-willed…beautiful,” he continued, crossing to the sink and filling his glass at the faucet.

He thinks I’m beautiful? Ginny thought in surprise.

Feeling her stomach give a little flip, Ginny pushed off the counter. Cursing her pale complexion as she walked quickly to the fridge, she prayed he wouldn't notice the blush she could feel blooming on her cheeks.

“But, how do we even know what his type is?” she asked as she opened the door.

He watched her as she leaned down, looking inside.

“Because I know him,” he said, heading back to the den. “And his taste is the same as mine,” he added without thinking.

Ginny froze, her hand curled around the can of muggle coke before she looked up, watching him leave the room over the door of the fridge.

What was that? Harry’s mind was racing as he walked to the sofa and sat down. Why the hell did I say that? She’s not my type is she?

He’d never really thought about what his type was, but apparently some part of him thought she was it. Frowning, he ran through the people he’d dated, but none of them necessarily fit her description.

Ginny followed him into the room a few moments later and curled up on the other end of the sofa.

“So how do you know him? What’s he like?”

“We went to school together. His father was a Death Eater, really high up,” Harry added with a bite to his voice. “Malfoy was just like him — cruel, arrogant…a real piece of work.”

As they sat on the sofa, Harry told her about his time at school and pretty much everything he knew about Malfoy.

Eventually the conversation shifted to a more general discussion about school and growing up, Harry talking about Hogwarts and Ginny sharing her experience at Beauxbatons.

Hours had passed before either of them noticed how long they’d been talking. Given the rocky beginning of their day, it wasn’t lost on either of them how comfortable it now seemed or how at home they felt in each other’s company.

Neither was particularly thrilled with that realization and they went to bed with an awkward goodnight.

~..~..~..~..~..~..~


Reviews 558
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear