Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived by Khrys



Summary: This is my version of Book Seven. It picks up where Book Six left off, and follows Harry and his friends through their trials and tribulations. Everyone know that Harry has to defeat Voldemort, but does he have to do it alone, without love? All of your favorite characters are here. This story follows canon closely. H/G, R/Hr, and other pairings are included.
Rating: R starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-HBP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2006.05.29
Updated: 2006.09.11


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter One: Charmed and Bonded
Chapter 2: Chapter Two: Beyond the Imagination
Chapter 3: Chapter Three: Express Planning
Chapter 4: Chapter Four: Home Sweet Home
Chapter 5: Chapter Five: Wedding Bell Bliss
Chapter 6: Chapter Six: End of the Order Era
Chapter 7: Chapter Seven: The Talk
Chapter 8: Chapter Eight: Heir Apparent
Chapter 9: Chapter Nine: Character Revealed
Chapter 10: Chapter Ten: Happy Birthday, Husband
Chapter 11: Chapter Eleven: School's In Session
Chapter 12: Chapter Twelve: Head of the Class
Chapter 13: Chapter Thirteen: Trouble in Paradise
Chapter 14: Chapter Fourteen: Family is Forever
Chapter 15: Chapter Fifteen: Problem Solved, Obstacles Overcome
Chapter 16: Chapter Sixteen: What are Families for?
Chapter 17: Chapter Seventeen: Future Interrupted
Chapter 18: Chapter Eighteen: Evil Knows No Bounds
Chapter 19: Chapter Nineteen: An Unlikely Source
Chapter 20: Chapter Twenty: Ministry Mayhem
Chapter 21: Chapter Twenty-One: Storm the Fortress
Chapter 22: Chapter Twenty-Two: Last Ditch Effort
Chapter 23: Chapter Twenty-Three: The End is in Sight
Chapter 24: Chapter Twenty-Four: Survival


Chapter 1: Chapter One: Charmed and Bonded

Author's Notes: Chapter One includes the Prologue.

Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Prologue

For the first time in the days since Dumbledore’s funeral, Professor McGonagall allowed herself a moment to break down and truly feel her loss. It was really everyone’s loss. She sat down heavily in Dumbledore’s ornate chair, feeling the weight and pressure of the decisions to be made. She alone was responsible for these decisions. Her shoulders shook quietly as the tears rolled down her cheeks. A tawny barn owl gently tapped his beak on the jewel colored glass. In the afternoon light the windows appeared to be beautiful painted renditions of a phoenix, with all of the bold colors shining on the cold stone of the office walls. The half-open window allowed a soft breeze to stir the message against the owl’s leg. The soft scritching sound brought Minerva back to the office where she stood. She removed the note from his leg, unrolled the parchment, and hastened to leave the office immediately after reading it’s contents.

The fading sounds of footsteps echoed throughout the office as the eyelids in the portrait slowly opened revealing a pair of gleaming eyes.

The first sight that swam into focus was the empty stand where Fawkes would normally perch. He noticed that he felt a little groggy and he shook his head in an effort to clear the dust that felt like it had settled there. He stared around in amazement at the portraits that lined the walls of his former office. Realization of his situation dawned on him almost immediately.

Suddenly there was a deafening silence. A distinct feeling of wariness accompanied the quiet that enveloped the room. It was then that he realized that someone must have been listening to the WWN. He heard the radio personality announce that in the past hour they had played the top ten hits for the week. The countdown was now at number one with a song by Cher. He smirked to think of all the muggles who thought she was a muggle herself. She was not only a witch, but an accomplished metamorphagus as well. He listened to the pleasantly low beginnings of the number one hit in both the wizard and muggle worlds.

When you’re standing on the edge of nowhere
There’s only one way up
So your hearts gotta go there
Through the darkest night
See the light shine bright
When heroes fall, in love or war
They live forever

This is a song for the lonely
Can you hear me tonight?
For the broken hearted, battle scarred
I’ll be by your side
And this is a song for the lonely
When your dreams won’t come true
Can you hear this prayer?
Cause someone’s there for you.



Dumbledore found himself lost in the images her lyrics provoked. The images grew stronger and more powerful as he dreamily hummed along to the music when the chorus started.

So let it find you
Wherever you may go
I’m right behind you
You don’t have to look no more


His eyes flew open as the images transformed into memories. He clung to the past ferociously until one memory began to repeat itself. As the end of the song neared, his eyes flew open. He was alert and his eyes gleamed from within. Had Harry been in the room to witness the sight he would have immediately recognized the glint in his former headmaster’s eyes.

The light faded from his eyes, ever so slightly, as the voices sounded in unison. They called from the depths of his mind; they called him to listen one more time.

“Verus Diligo”

Cassie’s voice was faint, echoing from another time. It was a time that was lost, a time that Dumbledore longed to forget.

The look in her eyes morphed to utter terror and then instantaneously back to peace and love. The red flash of light streaked between them, knocking Cassie backwards. She was violently thrown against the cold stone of the dungeon wall. She uttered a soft cry as she saw her attacker advancing toward the couple. He felt her power as she gathered the love in her heart and used it to push him out of harms way. He felt the second flash of light breeze by his neck, narrowly missing him.

For a fraction of a moment, he waited, daring to hope.

He heard a loud ‘pop’ and slowly released the pent up breath he did not know he had been holding

“Cassie?” Dumbledore breathed, still clinging to the hope that she lived.

He crawled forward, searching for any sign of life, but the curse had hit its mark.

Cassandra Trelawney was gone.


As the memory faded, the brightness of the office intensified the colors glowing from the windowpanes. He was lost in his thoughts until a soft trill pulled him back into reality.

Dumbledore smiled softly at his oldest friend and constant companion.

“I believe they are ready, my old friend” Dumbledore chuckled.

Fawkes disappeared with a flash. No sooner had he gone, than Dumbledore urgently longed to call him back. He wanted to forget the silly ideas of an old man.

“But then,” he mused “they are ready.”

“I wonder how long it will take her to locate it?” he asked the question aloud, though he expected no answer.

*******************************************************************************************************************
Chapter One: Charmed and Bonded

Everyone had left on the train earlier that day after Dumbledore’s funeral. Everyone, that is, except Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Neville and Luna. Professor McGonagall had asked Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny to wait for an escort of Order members. Then she had turned to Neville and Luna to discuss their plans.

Neville had remained to help Professor Sprout tend to some urgent matters in Greenhouse 3. Neville had been delighted when Professor Sprout offered to let him stay in the small flat attached to the greenhouses. It was usually reserved for guests, but he needed to be close to the greenhouse to protect the plants from the Glumbumble. Professor Sprout had explained that they had an unusually large infestation of them this year. Without constant supervision, the Glumbumble can infect the plants with a melancholy-inducing treacle. This made the plants completely unusable for potion work. She had a very important, but rather quick trip she needed to make before the start of the next term. She had asked him to remain behind to protect the valuable plants.


Luna had remained behind because she had nowhere else to go. Her father was off on an expedition, chasing after the elusive Narglesap, Professor McGonagall explained. Until the members of the Order came to get Harry and the others, she was perfectly content to read the Quibbler in her common room. Ginny and Hermione had offered to let her stay in Gryffindor tower with them, but Luna had declined. She told them that she was afraid of being infected by the Horklump. She was positive that she had seen one near the Gryffindor tower the day before.

McGonagall had explained to the others that they would have to wait in the Gryffindor tower. The Order couldn’t spare anyone to guard the trip out of Hogwarts until the day after next. Harry and Ron were secretly thrilled, despite the sadness of the day’s events. They would have one more chance to fly on a real Quidditch Pitch.

The next day, in the light of the early afternoon, Ron awoke with a start. He had been dreaming of a Quidditch victory and celebration party, not unlike the one that Harry had shared with Ginny. The dream had been so vivid. The colors, the sounds, everything had felt like it was happening right then and there. He imagined that he could still feel her hands on his arm, her breath on his cheek.

After Dumbledore’s funeral, Harry had gone to bed on the tower long before Ron. He had left after tossing quietly for hours, which meant that Ron should be alone in the large room. He heard a noise; it sounded almost like the curtains rustling around his bed. He heard the noise again before it truly dawned on him that no one was in the room to make the noise. It was then that the terror began to build. His heart pounded wildly in his chest as he listened with bated breath for any sound of an intruder. He was slowly stretching to reach his wand before he was attacked, when he heard it. It was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard.

“Ron,” breathed Hermione, her tears soaking into his sleeve, "Don’t move yet.”

Ron felt as if his face would split in two, that his grin was enormous. He tried to move his arm to pull her close, but it wouldn’t move. He felt Hermione shift closer to him, awakening the nerves in his sleepy arm and sending shiver throughout his body.

It was the tingling sensation in his arm that woke him fully. Dumbledore’s funeral and the subsequent emotional hours had led to the current situation in which Ron happily found himself.

“Hermione?” Ron whispered, hoping she wouldn’t move.

“Mmm. Yes?” she mumbled with her face buried in his chest.

“Do you want to…” he started to ask.

“No. Never,” she answered before he could finish the question.

Ron had been about to ask her to move off of the arm that was asleep, but her answer did not fit in his mind.

Suddenly, he understood, and he felt like the world’s biggest git. “Hermione,” Ron’s voice almost squeaked in his effort to maintain his calm.

“Ron,” she whispered as her breath caught in her throat. She had taken the first step and now she had to wait for him.

“I, uh, never want to either.” And he truly didn’t. He never wanted to leave her comforting embrace. He knew then that he would never want to hold anyone else in his arms the way he was holding her.

Then, it was if a dam had burst inside his chest. Even if he had wanted to, which he didn’t, he couldn’t have stopped the words that gushed out of his mouth. He had realized that he needed to say them, just as much as Hermione needed to hear them. “I want to be the one to hold you, comfort you, protect you, and be everything to you. I love you.” It was all out before he had even had a chance to take a breath.

After a deep breath to calm her nerves, Hermione was ready to answer. “Don’t you want to kiss me?” she asked with a shaky voice, “You’re supposed to kiss the one who loves you.” Then without waiting for the shock to clear from his face, she turned her face to him and kissed him.

Ron’s brain was still playing catch up after discovering Hermione was lying in his arms, so it was a few long seconds before Ron realized the amazing moment of kissing Hermione. Abruptly, she pulled away, her face was flushed and she was breathing heavily. Ron was worried that she was embarrassed, until he recognized the expression on her face and the gleam in her eyes.

“When we kissed, I heard the…”

“But it was in my head and I…”

“Surely it couldn’t mean that…” She rushed to get the words out as both an explanation and an apology to Ron.

“Ron, I have to go. I have to see if…”

“I’ll be back.” She vanished from the room, not wasting anymore time on useless explanations.

Ron just lay across the vastness of the bed, enjoying the confusion that was usually so frustrating. This time was different, he might not know where she was going or what she was looking for, but he knew that she was on her way to find the answer to their problems. She would find whatever it was that would make everything work. He smiled to himself and thought about the time he called her an insufferable know-it-all, as he drifted off to sleep.

Hermione came rushing down the stairs, taking them two and three at a time. She barely registered the two figures slumped on the overstuffed sofa in front of the dying fire.

Hermione’s sudden appearance in the common room, and rushed exit through the portrait hole, did not interrupt the hushed conversation. Harry and Ginny were locked in each other’s arms. The idea of being anywhere without her was gone from his mind forever.

Harry had gone to bed the night before with the resolve to stay away from Ginny until it was safe for them to be together. He had lain in bed for hours, his cluttered mind overflowing with thoughts and emotions, staring at the ceiling. Frustrated, he closed his eyes in an attempt to clear his head. Eventually, he abandoned the attempt and went down to the common room to stare into the fire. The flickering of the flames comforted him with thoughts of Sirius.

He knew at once that his mind had led his heart astray when he saw Ginny crumpled on the sofa quietly sobbing. Without a word, he crossed the room, bent down and gathered her in his arms. The softness of the sofa was like sandpaper compared to the loose tendrils of her hair that tickled his bare arms. Minutes passed by and then hours, while he held her. Slowly, as her sobs subsided, he felt his sorrow fade.

Hermione raced through the corridors of Hogwarts. She swerved to avoid a cranky suit of armor that gave a wheezy chuckle as she barely avoided knocking it over. She prayed that she could avoid Peeves and his dastardly pranks. She didn’t want to spare even the seconds that it would take to shoot a spell over her shoulder as she ran. She rounded the last corner and saw the gargoyle statue that guarded the entrance to the headmistress’s office. Her luck held until she was under the tall stone archway that rose high above the statue. Suddenly it came to her. “Acid Pop,” she cried, not knowing how she knew that the gargoyles would spring to life and allow her to pass into the office.

Once inside the office, she was so absorbed with her task that brushed past the newest addition to the walls of the office. The portrait hung lower on the wall than the others, in fact, it hung right behind the stand that Fawkes had perched on when Dumbledore was sitting at his desk. Had she paid any attention, she would have seen Fawkes sitting there as she scanned the office for the bookshelf behind Dumbledore’s massive desk.

The bookshelf was flanked on the left by a picture of Armando Dippett, who had been headmaster before Dumbledore. On the right, it butted up to a locked cabinet. Steeling herself for a long search, she began on the top shelf next to the portrait. She continued along the shelf until she reached the end against the cabinet. A cabinet that Harry would have known contained Dumbledore’s Pensieve.

After the fourth shelf of searching, she grew fearful and frustrated, but she did not give up easily. She felt a surge of hope as her fingers brushed the cover of the next book on the shelf. It was a leather bound book that glowed brightly, as if it contained all the light of a rainbow between its pages. She could feel the power radiate as she slid it reverently from the shelf.

Wasting no time to verify her find, knowing for certain that this was the book in her vision, she hurried to leave the headmaster’s office. She stopped abruptly next to the closed cabinet. She saw Fawkes gazing at her from across the room. He let out a soft trill and she knew that he had provided her with the vision at the time when she had been most receptive to it.

A smile spread across her face as she remembered what Professor Flitwick had said during a particularly interesting charms class in her fifth year. She doubted that either Harry or Ron would remember the lecture, or recall the significance of the topic, but she was sure that they would tease her for knowing.

“A Phoenix has the ability to plant a vision in a witch or wizard’s head in order to guide them in their quest. The Phoenix Charm is very rarely performed and the phoenix must be convinced that the witch or wizard it pure of heart and ready to believe.”

“Believe in what, Professor?” asked Lavender.

“Does anyone know?” squeaked Flitwick. “Yes, Miss Granger.”

“The power of love,” replied Hermione, matter-of-factly.

“Very good, Miss Granger, 10 points to Gryffindor.”


“Thank you, Fawkes. You always know when you are needed most.” speaking mostly to herself.

She wanted to shout her thanks for the whole world to hear and she wanted Voldemort to cringe at her cry of hope. Soon, she thought, very soon everyone will be filled with hope and Voldemort will do much more than cringe.

She headed back to the common room, clutching the book tightly. She needed to gather Harry, Ron, and Ginny to tell them what she’d found. She couldn’t help but give a girlish giggle at the idea of a challenge. Ron did not find it exhilarating to search through books with information flying at you as fast as you could turn the pages. That was one of the reasons she had fallen in love with Ron, he knew how to have fun. As many times as she had scoffed at their interest in Quidditch, she secretly longed to have the ability to be out there on the pitch playing alongside Ron.

She was not lucky on her return trip to Gryffindor tower. She was hurrying down the last hallway, with the portrait of the Fat Lady in sight, when Peeves appeared with a cackle. He began to pelt her with bits of wadded up parchment, and she had a hunch that they were pieces of the first year student’s lost homework. She barely glanced at him, until he began singing a catchy song from a popular muggle movie. Only Peeves was changing the words as he saw fit to aggravate the already emotional situation.

Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead
Which old Witch
It’s Dumbledore
Ding-Dong Dumbledore is Dead.


“Langlock,” Hermione called out as she waved her wand angrily. What right did Peeves have to try and hurt them like that, she thought?

Suddenly the singsong voice was replaced with a loudly hummed version of the same annoying song.

“Pygmy Puff,” said Hermione absently to the Fat Lady as she swung open to admit her to the common room. Hermione had been downright delighted when Ginny had put her foot down and told Ron that there wasn’t a chance in the wizarding world that they were going to allow him to choose ‘Wronski Feint’ as the password to the tower.

Harry and Ginny were still on the sofa, only now they were laying down with their legs entwined and draped over the armrest. They were both sound asleep, lost in their dreams. Although it was already early evening, she understood that they were emotionally drained. Not wanting to wake them, Hermione dropped into a comfortable overstuffed chair and quietly magicked a small oak table near her knees to rest her feet on while she read.

She opened the book to the first page and began her journey of knowledge.

Ron ambled downstairs to see about some food. Still in a daze from the previous night’s events, he was too happy to be concerned with the sight of Harry and Ginny on the sofa. Hermione looked up from her book as Ron walked past the sofa shaking his head. She knew that he was heading down to the kitchens to nick some food. Some things will never change, even if you are in love. “Ron,” Hermione called out softly, trying not to wake the sleeping couple. “Are you going to get something to eat?”

“I was going to see about dinner. Do you want something?” Ron whispered, still very sleepy and obviously startled to see Hermione buried in the chair.

“Could you bring something back for all of us?” she asked quietly. “I think we are all going to need something to eat…”

“Mione, I thought you were still looking… What should I bring back?” Ron asked, a little too loudly.

“Whatever the house elves have made for the staff. I don’t want you asking for something that causes them any extra work, Ronald.” she accused. Sounding more like the Hermione he knew and loved. Ron left the common room mumbling about Hermione and house elves. She wasn’t sure what he said, but she thought she heard the word ‘nutters’ somewhere in his rant.

Harry and Ginny began to stir lazily as the smell of the food reached them. By the time they reached the table, Ron and Hermione had started to eat. “Nice table, Hermione,” remarked Harry.

“And, thanks for conjuring chairs with cushions,” added Ginny. “They are so much more comfortable than the benches in the Great Hall.”

Hermione smiled to herself, it was a nice bit of spell work, she thought.

Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron ate in silence until Ron remembered Hermione’s sudden departure from his arms earlier. “Hey Mione, did you find what you were looking for?” he asked with great curiosity.

He had just noticed the radiant rainbow of light coming from the book that sat in the overstuffed chain less than a foot away. It shone brightly in the dimming light of the early evening. The fire had been lit and the candle on the walls glowed faintly, but their light was meager compared to the light emanating from the book.

Taking a deep breath, Hermione prepared to explain everything. She launched into her explanation, expecting tons of questions. When she got to the part about the Phoenix Charms, she saw Harry frown, but he said nothing. Ron, she noticed, was smirking at her. She continued talking for the better part of an hour. She kept waiting for someone to interrupt her, but everyone was listening carefully and they seemed to be following her plan. It was a mark of their closeness that no one called her a know-it-all when she told them that she would have to create the location and write the incantations herself. It was partly because the level of trust within the group was very high, but mainly because they knew that Hermione would never present an idea that she hadn’t analyzed to death. They would all have their parts to play; her part was to show them the way.

When she finished talking, she looked at Harry, then Ron, then Ginny, and back to Harry trying to gauge their individual responses. Harry looked determined to succeed, while a small smile played on Ginny’s lips. And Ron, Hermione wanted to giggle, Ron looked like that mad knight they had met while looking for Professor Trelawney’s classroom. Sir Cadogan, she thought to herself. He had all of the bravery in the world, but he was completely clueless.

“There is just one more thing I haven’t mentioned,” Hermione told everyone, “but I think it will come as a pleasant surprise when we are allowed to discover it for ourselves.”

Try as they might, they could not convince her to share her secret with them. After some questioning from Harry, that turned into cajoling from Ginny, that lead to veiled threats from Ron, she was still maintaining her silence on the matter.

“I do believe that it will blow your minds,” was the only thing that she would say as a pseudo explanation.

Even thought it was still early, all four agreed that they needed a good night of rest before they attempted such complicated and powerful magic. Both couples headed to the boys’ dormitory since it was the only place, other than the common room, that they could all sleep in close proximity. Hermione and Ginny enlarged the beds and moved them close together. The respective couples fell into bed exhausted, each thinking their own private thoughts. Had any of them been skilled in Legilimency, they would have known that they all shared the same concerned thoughts. The prevalent thought was one of hope, and it outweighed the fear by far.

They all drifted off to sleep, slumbering peacefully until the light of morning awoke them. The heavy curtains could not filter all of the morning’s bright light. As they managed to open their eyes, they heard a single note from Fawkes. The sound brought them hope and knocked the sleep from their heads. The mood was upbeat as they dressed for the day. Hermione laughed at Ron’s protests as she conjured an opaque screen to change behind. She laughed even harder at the look on Harry’s face when Ginny joined her a moment later.

Once downstairs, they were met with a heavenly smell coming from a four-foot tall stack of woolen hats. The smell was the breakfast that the house elves had sent up. They had taken it upon themselves to send every one of their favorite foods. Dobby was the walking hat rack, and he was scurrying about trying to put the finishing touches on the feast and preparing to greet his guests.

“Good Morning, Dobby,” Harry said.

“Thanks for bringing us breakfast,” said Ginny gratefully.

“Yeah, thanks Dobby. All my favorite foods are here,” Ron chimed in.

“Thank you, Dobby. You really didn’t need to go through all the trouble of bringing us each our favorite foods,” Hermione scolded him gently.

“It is no trouble. Dobby is honored to serve Mr. Harry Potter, his Wheezy and their Misses!” Dobby squeaked, excitement in his voice and his large eyes shining.

Everyone finished eating quickly. Ron paused to grab another piece of bacon as he swallowed the last of his orange juice.

Hermione had instructed them to wear their dress robes for the ceremony, so they left the common room to change. She couldn’t explain the feeling, she just knew that it was an occasion that called for special attire. After dressing hurriedly, Hermione and Ginny desperately tried to tame Hermione’s hair. She didn’t have any Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion left, so she had to trust Ginny to fix it with magic. She allowed her to twist it at the nape of her neck and secure it with a magical clip. Her hair was still bushy, but it was controlled and away from her face.

They rushed downstairs as they heard Ron yell for them to hurry up. When they got to the bottom of the stairs, Ginny stopped short and Hermione collided with her.

“Ouch, Ginny. What?” Hermione gasped.

“Look at his hair,” Ginny hissed at her.

“RONALD WEASLEY! You get back upstairs and comb your hair. I can’t believe…” Hermione yelled at him, reminding him of his Mum when she was really upset and winding up to go on for hours. Yet, he could have sworn that he heard her voice tremble slightly.

His face resembling a cherry tomato, he cut her off mid-sentence, “Mione. I do want to look my best. I’m going up right now,” his voice dropped so only she could hear his next statement. “Don’t yell, I’m worried too,” Ron said quietly as he walked over to her and put his arms around her shaking shoulders.

Harry was still not down from getting dressed, and Ron promised that he would bring him down after he combed his hair.
Hermione and Ginny sat gingerly on the edge of the plush sofa, trying desperately not to wrinkle their robes.

“You must really love him,” Ginny mused.

“I do,” Hermione admitted for the first time, “but, why are you asking?”

“Well, you know that I love Ron, but if I were you and he called me Mione in front of someone, I would hex him into the next room,” Ginny explained.

“Ah, that, Hermione replied, blushing prettily, "I think it’s really sweet.” Her voice dropping lower with each word.

Hermione was saved from any further embarrassment by the appearance of a flustered Ron and an impatient Harry. Harry practically yanked Ginny and Hermione off the sofa by their wrists as he urged them towards the portrait hole. No one even gave the common room a second look as the climbed out through the hole. They all chattered nervously as they made their way down the hall. Hermione was leading the way.

In the distance, Harry heard a soft song. With each step he took, Harry felt his heart lighten and his smile grow. Without turning to look at his companions, he knew they were smiling too. He also knew without asking that they felt the same way. He had heard this song before. He couldn’t place where, but he thought it was beautiful. It swelled his heart with hope and love, long before he saw the source of the music.

Fawkes was hovering in front of the stretch of wall that he knew was the secret entrance to the Room of Requirement. Hermione was the one to pace in front of the door, concentrating on what they would need for the ceremony. She opened the door, just as they had decided the day before. Even Ginny was a little surprised at how complete and accurate Hermione’s spell work had been. She had even been able to produce the chalk circles and the stand for Fawkes, everything they would need for the charm to work.

“Shall we begin,” Hermione asked. Then without waiting for an answer, she just plunged into the details. “The Phoenix Charm will take several hours. It will also consume a great deal of our strength and most of our magic reserves.” Hermione sounded like she was quoting a textbook she had committed to memory. “Does everyone have the incantations? Make sure that you have the right one. I wouldn’t even know where to look to put things right if something got swapped,” she prattled on nervously, checking everyone’s parchments as they held them out for her inspection. The parchments had been crisp and new when Hermione handed them to everyone. Now, both Ron’s and Harry’s were crumpled and slightly damp.

Hermione appeared to be waiting for something, and the longer she waited the more nervous she became. Then, quite suddenly, Fawkes appeared on his stand in the center of a giant circle drawn in white chalk on the roughly hewn wooden floor.

There was a smaller circle inside the larger one, just big enough for the four of them to stand an arm’s length apart and press the palms of their hands together. Hermione told them that everything was ready for them to begin.

“Right then, let’s go,” Harry said, hoping he sounded more confident than he felt.

As they stepped into the outer circle, four symbols appeared both on the chalk line of the inner circle and on the parchment they were holding. They stepped onto the matching symbol and the parchment floated in front of their faces at eye level, making it possible for them to read the incantations without holding the parchment in their hands.

And so it begins, Harry thought. In unison, Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione spoke quietly but firmly. “From the Four Corners of the earth, we pledge our lives and our love to create an everlasting bond.”

According to Hermione’s instructions, Harry knew that he was to go first. “I, Harry James Potter, take my rightful place at the North, and my position as the leader, accepting myself, and trusting in the bonds of love.” He pressed the palms of his hands together, at chest height.

“I, Ginevra Molly Weasley, take my rightful place at the South, and my position as the warrior, accepting myself, and trusting in the bonds of love.” She pressed the palms of her hands together, mimicking Harry’s gesture.

“I, Hermione Jane Granger, take my rightful place at the East, and my position as the teacher, accepting myself, and trusting in the bonds of love.” She too pressed her hands together.

“I, Ronald Bilius Weasley, take my rightful place at the West, and my position as the guardian, accepting myself, and trusting in the bonds of love.” He pressed the palms of his hands together and hoped.

“Ego Diligo,” they cried together. A rainbow of light illuminated their palms. It seemed too soon that the light faded, and Harry began again. “I stand in the True Direction and call upon all of the powers of true love.” Harry waited for Ginny before moving.

“I stand in the Pure Direction and call upon all of the powers of true love.” Once Ginny had stopped speaking, she and Harry moved their hands so they could press the palms together.

“I stand at the Beginning of All Things and call upon all of the powers of true love.” Hermione stood still, waiting for Ron to finish.

“I stand at the End of All Things and call upon all of the powers of true love.” Ron and Hermione reached out to press their palms together.

“Verus Diligo,,” they called out, not as four individuals but as two couples. A band of rainbow light encircled their hands, keeping their palms bounds together.

While Harry had convinced himself that he was ready for the next step, when the time came he was shaking a little. It was the warmth of Ginny’s palms that brought him back and gave him the courage that he needed to continue.

“I have been blessed with the gift of Courage to bring my parents to me, to open the channels of communication and love.” As Harry finished, the echo of his parents, Lilly and James Potter, appeared behind him in the outer circle.

“I have been blessed with the gift of Intuition to bring my parents to me, to open the channels of communication and love.” As Ginny’s voice faded, the echo of her parents, Arthur and Molly Weasley, appeared between her and Ron.

“I have been blessed with the gift of Knowledge to bring my parents to me, to open the channels of communication and love.” Once she was done speaking, the echo of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Granger, appeared behind her.

“I have been blessed with the gift of Strategy to bring my parents to me, to open the channels of communication and love.” When Ron spoke the final words, they all pulled their hands apart, ceasing to be two couples.

“Parentis Diligo,” the four projected boldly. Their voices were growing stronger with each new level of the spell.

The outer circle had grown to accommodate the presence of six people. As the four connected their hands together, so did the echoes of their parents behind them. The four emerged as a singular unit, standing on the chalk line of the inner circle.

It was then that Harry had his first chance to look at his parents. While it was comforting to see their dense, shadowy figures, it took him back to the graveyard where he had dueled with Lord Voldemort. They had appeared to him that night, gray and ghostlike in appearance, they had protected him after the resurrection of his greatest enemy. His heart was heavy, but he gained new hope as he prepared for the next incantation.

“I call upon the power of Air to bring my true family to be encompassed in our undying bond.” At first Harry was worried when nothing happened, but he waited patiently like Hermione had instructed.

“I call upon the power of Light to bring my true family to be encompassed in our undying bond.” Ginny stood, waiting for something to happen.

“I call upon the power of Earth to bring my true family to be encompassed in our undying bond.” Hermione waited knowing what would happen after Ron spoke.

“I call upon the power of Fire to bring my true family to be encompassed in our undying bond.” He finished his incantation in time to see the echoes of Fred, George, Charlie, Bill, Percy and Sirius appear behind them and spread out within the outer circle. The circle once again enlarged to accommodate the six new people.

“Prosapia Diligo,” as one, their voices raised in excitement.

Their parents separated their palms allowing the new arrivals to enter the ring of people. Everyone reached out their arms, bring their palms in contact with the person on either side. As the final palms touched, an arch of rainbow light formed a towering dome above their heads encouraging them to maintain the bond.

Once again, the foursome chanted together. “We summon the ones that we hold dear, and call to us our closest friends here. Complete the circle and join us in our never ending bond of love.” The echo of Luna appeared first, followed closely by Neville’s echo, then lastly Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks’ echoes. They fanned out behind the people in the inner circle.

“Vestri Amicitia Diligo,” the four shouted together. Growing anticipation was pushing them to finish the spell.

Once again, palms were separated as everyone in the outer circle took a step back to accommodate the new arrivals. The inner circle vanished, and slowly, Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny slid their hands upward, towards the ceiling never breaking contact. The symbols appeared under the feet of their owner. The light brightened considerably and then began to pulse as the echoes around them chanted as one. “From the lands of the Living and the planes of Immortality, we pledge our lives and our love to strengthen and protect this newly formed bond.” The light stopped pulsing as if preparing for something to happen.

They all prepared for the part that Hermione told them would be the most difficult part of the spell. They had to maintain the bond while completing the last of the incantations. This is where there was a possibility of them depleting their magical reserves too soon and breaking the bond. As Harry stared into Ginny’s eyes, he vowed that he would not let the bond break.

“Vinculum nos et Unus,” Harry felt the echoes pulling away from the group, and he fought to maintain the contact he so desperately needed with Ron and Hermione.

“Servo nos Universus,” Ginny and Ron felt overwhelmed; their magical reserves were being drained fast. Ginny could barely feel Ron’s hand against her own.

“Lunctum nos et Diligo,” Just when Hermione was sure that she couldn’t hold on any longer and was gong to cry out, the pull subsided. The light brightened and danced across the walls.

In a flash, the light brightened from all of the colors of the rainbow to pure white. Through barely cracked eyelids, Harry caught a momentary glimpse of Dumbledore’s echo standing next to Fawkes. He had his arms raised to the ceiling and for a moment Harry had the idea that he was strengthening their bond by giving them his wealth of knowledge and adding the last of his magic to their bond. The light from his magical bond gone, they disappeared from the center of the circle.

It was then that light erupted from where Dumbledore and Fawkes had been, in the middle of all things. The light penetrated every nook and cranny in the castle and pushed its way out into the night. It illuminated the sky briefly with its beacon of hope. Then all was dark. Ron, Harry, Ginny and Hermione collapsed on the floor from the exertion.

It was as if nothing had happened. There were no signs that they had performed a powerfully ancient magic spell in that very room. The chalk drawn circles and symbols were gone, the floor appeared untouched. The echoes faded quietly into the night. There was only one sign that the charm had worked.

Harry had a small scarlet and gold phoenix on his right shoulder. In the same place on her shoulder Ginny had a bright silver unicorn. On Ron’s left shoulder, a shocking white albatross had appeared, and Hermione had a matching brown and gold eagle.

Hermione could not have known about this lasting mark that would be left by performing the Phoenix Charm, after all, the last time the Charm had been attempted, it had not been completed. To bear the marks also held a great significance, of which she was unaware.

She had been right about something. When Harry, Ron and Ginny learned of their new abilities, they would be pleasantly surprised. And when she learned the scope of their new powers, she would be the most shocked of them all.

Ginny began to stir on the hard wooden floor of the Room of Requirement…

Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.

Chapter Two: Beyond the Imagination

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter Two: Beyond the Imagination

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Two: Beyond the Imagination


Fawkes appeared with a ‘pop’ in an otherwise silent room. He settled onto the second tier of his perch and faced the crowded portraits. Each occupant in the Headmistresses office had hurried to get a good view of the debriefing. This caused a ruckus in the four canvasses immediately surrounding Dumbledore’s. Dumbledore nodded his head and Fawkes began to share his memories of the previous hours.

“I see that my confidence in the young Miss Granger was not misplaced,” he stated slowly.

Fawkes turned a jeweled eye on Dumbledore.

“We should prepare for their arrival. I’m afraid their questions are imminent, though they are not all easily answered.” Dumbledore nodded a second time and the silence was broken as Fawkes disappeared.

“Albus, how will you explain?” questioned Armando Dippett.

“Do you really thing they can comprehend the enormity of their situation? They are only teenagers,” smirked Phineas Nigellus.

“Witches and Wizards, if you please...I am sure that we will have answers, and many more questions, within the hour,” Dumbledore’s voice rang out in the stone room. As the echo of his voice died, there was only silence to fill the great room.

Ginny rose to a sitting position. She was feeling much too unsteady to do anything else. She felt an odd burning sensation on her right shoulder. When she concentrated on the source of the unfamiliar feeling, she had a fleeting vision of a beautiful white unicorn.

She blinked, not wanting to lose the comforting image, but needing to see what had happened to the others. She peered around the room cautiously, not knowing what to expect. She saw Harry and Hermione both sprawled out on the floor. Ron, she noticed, was curled up like a baby. She reached out to Hermione, who was closest, and touched her hand gingerly. When she felt her fingers brush against Hermione’s bare skin, both her fingertips and her shoulder glowed with warmth. Again, Ginny had a brief vision, this one showing her a majestic Eagle. The Eagle was sailing across the clear blue sky, low to the earth, racing neck in neck with the unicorn from her previous vision as it loped across the grassy plains.

As the vision faded, Hermione’s eyes flew open. She too seemed unsteady as she attempted to push herself into a sitting position. A quick assessment of the situation told Hermione that everyone was out of immediate danger. She began to focus on Ginny, and the strange warmth in her shoulder. She visibly relaxed as she turned to Ginny with a questioning look in her eyes.

“How did you send me that vision?” she asked.

Ginny looked thoughtful for a moment. “I haven’t the foggiest notion. When I woke up, you lot were out cold. I concentrated on that peculiar feeling in my shoulder, and suddenly I had a vision. Then when I reached over to touch you, I had another vision. It was the same one that you saw.”

Hermione appeared to be deep in thought. “I wonder if we could,” she began uncertainly, “I wonder, would work if we touched the guys?”

They linked hands and together they reached out to Ron and Harry. There was no glowing warmth in their shoulders this time; there was only a soft glow where their skin met. Both girls smiled as the new vision began.

A great white Albatross soared across the open blue sky. Even the Eagle flying alongside was dwarfed by his impressive 12-foot wingspan. They swooped down towards the grassy area at the edge of the lake. They landed on an old, mossy log. The log was a popular place for the 6th and 7th years to go to sit by the lake together and watch the giant squid. In a flash, a brilliantly colored Phoenix appeared. With the ‘pop’ of his arrival echoing across the lake, a pure white unicorn shimmered into place next to him.

It wasn’t long before the vision faded from everyone’s eyes. Ron and Harry awoke to find themselves on the hard floor of the Room of Requirement instead of the soft grass next to the lake. Ron groaned as he tried to stand up.

“Why does my head hurt?”

“Sit down, you git!” Ginny exclaimed. “Hermione, do you want to explain what’s going on?”

Ginny sat back expectantly. Ron and Harry prepared for what sounded like it might be an awfully long lecture on the importance of being prepared and paying attention. Hermione surprised everyone by shaking her head.

“What I think, is that we should see Dumbledore before we do anything else.”

Harry’s eyes reflected both the hurt of his loss and the disbelief at her statement. Ron’s mouth simply hung open, making him look like he had been punched in the stomach, before he cautiously said, “Mione, you’re mental. You do remember the funeral two days ago, don’t you?”

Hermione simply shrugged and once again suggested they seek Dumbledore’s counsel.

It took everyone some time to get to his or her feet. They were all sore, in some places more than others. Their time on the floor had been short, but it had definitely caused some damage. Their progress was further impeded by the new sensations caused each time they touched.

Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand as the left the Room of Requirement. Hermione and Ron followed closely behind, his arm around her shoulders. They walked in silence; each lost in their own thoughts.

As she walked, Hermione wondered how long it would take them to learn their new skills. She knew that there was no book on this subject. She had tried to reach out to Ron while they were still in the Room of Requirement, but all she had succeeded in doing was to make herself dizzy. She stumbled into the doorjamb and almost fell. Ron had to throw his arm around her to keep her from falling. “Great,” she thought, “I’ll impress him with my grace.” Ron left his arm around her as the continued on their way to the Headmistresses office. So it wasn’t a total loss, she thought.

Ron had been grateful when Hermione stumbled in the Room of Requirement. He wasn’t comfortable holding her in front of Harry and Ginny yet. He wasn’t comfortable with Harry holding Ginny yet either. His shoulder had tingled slightly as he caught her after she tripped. He thought it was perfect timing and that no one had noticed his arm slip around her slyly.

Harry tried hard not to snicker at Ron’s clumsy attempt to hide his affection for Hermione. As funny as it seemed to him, he could relate to how uncomfortable Ron was with the situation. He had been hesitant to take Ginny’s hand. He knew that Ron was okay with him dating Ginny, but he didn’t want to push his luck. He was uncomfortable initiating a public display of affection, but he was extremely happy when Ginny grabbed his hand and held it tight.

The tingling sensation in her shoulder only made holding Harry’s hand even more pleasurable. Ginny had seen the uncertainty in Harry’s eyes as they walked to the door. She was fairly certain that he was worrying about what Ron would think. She grabbed his hand and held it tight. She saw the worry fade from his eye. She also noticed the relief in his eyes when Ron put his arm around Hermione and pulled her close.

They reached the Gargoyle statue quickly. “Acid Pop,” they all said simultaneously. The Gargoyle came to life and sprang aside to admit the foursome. Harry led the way, forgetting that they had all been invited to this office at one time or another. They reached the top and saw the heavy wooden door that lead into the Headmistresses office. Just as Harry was about to push the door open and enter the room, it swung open on its own to reveal a startled Professor McGonagall.

“Potter, I was just on my way to the Gryffindor common room to check on you. What are you doing here?”

“What are the four of you doing here?” she amended as she saw the others.

“We’re here,” they all started to say together.

“We’re here to speak with Dumbledore,” Hermione stated plainly. The tone of her voice left no room for argument.

Professor McGonagall looked highly offended at her tone, but calmly told them that Dumbledore’s portrait was not yet awake and they couldn’t possibly speak with him.

“He is awake,” Hermione said quietly. “We are in urgent need of his counsel and he will see us now.” There was a subtle emphasis on her spoken demand.

The fear on Professor McGonagall’s face was apparent. Her fear was compounded by her ignorance of the situation. She stepped aside to allow them to enter her office. As they approached Dumbledore’s portrait, Professor McGonagall drew her wand and conjured four chairs. She arranged them in a semi-circle around the portrait. In order to have a clear view of the portrait; she needed to move Fawkes’ perch. She floated it across the room, landing it next to a rich mahogany table, which held a perfect model of the solar system. She sighed tiredly, sat back in the comfortable chair behind her desk, and prepared to wait.

Everyone settled in to the pleasantly comfy chairs and waited patiently for Dumbledore to begin. Staring at the splash of color in an interesting painting on the wall, Ginny’s face was hard. She seemed to be bracing herself for terrible news. Ron and Hermione were much more relaxed. They were confident that Harry had shared with them everything they would need to know. Harry’s face was blank. This was quite a feat for him since he normally wore his heart on his sleeve. For the first time since Dumbledore had set eyes on him, his emotions were unreadable.

Dumbledore blinked, slowly cleared his throat and started uncertainly. “I hardly know where to begin.”

“Professor,” Hermione interrupted at once, “I have so many questions.”

“Why don’t we begin with your questions, Hermione? I will try to answer them as best as I can. Of course, there are things, I fear, about which I can only speculate.” His words were spoken softly but carried easily across the room.

After years as a Professor and then many more as the Headmaster, Dumbledore had been prepared for the clamor that followed his offer. There was nothing spectacular about the four of them trying to talk over each other. There was something spectacular about how they spoke. He had not been prepared for all of them to ask the same question in unison. They had progressed far beyond the meager beginnings of a bond he had expected. They had done it all without guidance or help, he thought. He was more than just surprised. He was impressed.

It was obvious that Ginny would be the speaker for the group when she demanded an answer to their most pressing question.

“Professor, how did you know about the Phoenix Charm?”

“Ah, Miss Weasley, the first question you ask is the hardest to answer. Would you be satisfied with a ‘Quibbler’ version of the story?” he asked.

“Certainly,” she responded as Harry and Hermione nodded in agreement.

Harry stared at his feet. He thought that he might know what kind of an ending the story would have.

Dumbledore began to spin an elaborate tale, trying to limit himself to the bare essentials of the story. “The story begins with the Great-Great Grandmother of Sybill Trelawney.”

“Cassandra,” Harry blurted out quite unexpectedly, “you told me about her when you told me about the prophecy.”

Dumbledore took a deep breath and forged on. “Quite right, Harry. I am not surprised that you remember that conversation. Cassie and I were in love. It was she who taught me the Charm. It was meant to help me defeat the dark wizard Grindewald. She held the knowledge of the ancient magic in her blood.” He took another deep breath before continuing. “It was during the last months of Grindewald’s reign of terror that we attempted the spell. We were not as prepared as we should have been.” He was forced to stop for a long moment.

During the lengthy pause, Harry reached for Ginny’s hand and grasped it in his own. He noticed that Hermione had grabbed Ron’s hand and had her fingers intertwined in his. Ginny took this opportunity to interject into Dumbledore’s story, strengthened by Harry’s hand in hers. “You said attempted. You mean that you failed, right? You had us perform a dangerous bit of magic that had not been successfully performed in your lifetime.” Her voice rose as she grew angrier with every word.

“Sadly, you are right, Miss Weasley. However, it is not for the reasons you might suspect. When my story is done, you will understand more. Where was I? Ah, yes, we were in the middle of the ceremony when Grindewald discovered our location and attacked. We were sufficiently bonded for her to throw me out of the way of the blast that killed her. She sacrificed herself so that I could defeat the monster who murdered her.” Dumbledore’s eyes were welling with tears as he blinked rapidly to clear them. His attempt was futile and the tears overflowed and ran down his cheeks into his beard.

“No one has attempted the charm since then. I wonder why?” Ron mused.

“Mr. Weasley, I am most surprised at your insight,” Dumbledore muttered.

“When Cassandra died, the secret of the spell died with her. She was only one of three who knew how to perform the charm,” Hermione preached.

“The other two are both in this room,” Ron said with authority in his voice.

“Very good, Mr. Weasley. Fawkes and I were the only remaining beings in the wizarding world that knew the specifics of the spell. Due to my current status, there was only one of us who could show you the way. Fawkes provided Miss Granger with the necessary visions to complete the spell,” said Dumbledore, sounding a little sad.

“A Phoenix has the ability to provide a witch or wizard of their choice with a vision, Ron. However, it is very unusual for a Phoenix to choose to give a vision to another witch or wizard while their current companion is still alive,” Hermione said. She gasped as she realized her error.

Ron simply looked shocked that she had answered the question he was still trying to form in his head. Harry and Ginny’s eyes were moist with unshed tears. Dumbledore’s mood lightened considerably with Hermione’s faux pas. The he laughed as he replied, “Right again, Miss Granger. While I can offer advice and an excellent recipe for spotted dick from my portrait, I don’t believe that the magical laws consider me to be, as my American wizarding friends are fond of saying, ‘alive and kicking’.”

For the first time in a while, Harry chimed in. “I have a question. How can I hear Ginny’s questions in my head? It’s a little odd.”

Dumbledore bowed his head and chuckled softly for a moment. When he looked up at the four teenagers before him, he was smiling broadly. He had been waiting for this question, he knew it would be his favorite to answer.

“It is now my turn to answer your questions, both asked and unasked. I do not pretend to know everything, but I will try to shed some considerable light on your confusion. Please bear in mind that the answers I have, I learned from Cassie a long time ago. There will be many aspects of your bond that are unique. You must discover these on your own.” Dumbledore took a breath, chuckled quietly, and prepared to continue. “The most important thing for you to realize is that you always have my unwavering support. Secondly, it is obvious that Fawkes has chosen his new confidant. Hermione, you should be immensely proud. There are very few Phoenixes that chose to bond themselves so quickly. Now, let us move on to discuss one of your new abilities. It is often described in the Muggle world as being telepathic.” He smiled as he noticed Hermione wrinkle her pretty nose in disgust.

“You mean those ridiculous people that show up on Muggle television commercials?” she asked disgustedly.

“You will have all of the abilities, with none of the fame or theatrics. You have already experienced a small taste of what you are capable of doing,” he replied, winking at Harry.

“There is something you are holding back,” accused Ginny, “something you are not telling us.”

“I see that your powers are progressing even faster that I thought they would,” he said seriously. “I’m sure that Harry will be happy to hear that your new powers will be more powerful now than both Occlumency and Legilimency are combined. Which is probably best, seeing as Professor Snape will not be joining us for the next term,” Dumbledore teased them gently, hoping to ease the shock of his revelation. He noticed that Ron was leaning backwards in his chair, dangerously close to tipping over.

Everyone remembered that Professor McGonagall was still present when she cried out at Dumbledore’s admission. “Albus, I had no idea.” Ron hit the floor with a loud thud as Professor McGonagall wept openly. She had known about Professor Snape and the events that took place on the ramparts of the Astronomy Tower. She felt hollow inside as she began to understand that the fate of the wizarding world rested on the shoulders of four young people. She was sure that they had no idea what they were getting into. Why hadn’t someone warned them of the risks involved with such a powerful ancient magic, she thought?

Dumbledore’s eyes misted over but he remained firm. “Minerva, there was no way to forewarn anyone. It would have jeopardized the entire undertaking. We could not risk a repeat of the previous attempt. They made their own, informed decision. In the end, we must remember that it was their decision. We have a great deal more to discuss and the hour already grows late. Let us continue.”

Dumbledore tried to prepare himself for the onslaught of questions that would stem from the wave of confusion about to crash over the four young people sitting in front of him.

“Mr. Weasley, I have heard that you have practice using the severing charm and that you are quite skilled. If you would, please remove the sleeves from everyone’s robes.”

A flush crept up Ron’s neck, spread past his ears, and colored all the way up to his forehead. He knew that Dumbledore was referring to his old dress robes.

“Diffindo,” he called out as his color slowly returned to normal. He succeeded in calming himself down until he turned his head and saw Hermione’s bared shoulder. Slowly the flush crept back onto his face.

“I believe that you will all find something unique on one another’s shoulders,” said Dumbledore. He winked at Harry again as Ron gasped at the sight on Hermione’s shoulder. Ginny turned so that Ron could see her shoulder too and they chuckled at Ron’s expression and gaping stare once he saw her shoulder. Harry had to laugh aloud when Ron nearly melted as Hermione gingerly traced the outline on his shoulder.

For a few short moments, they all looked at the marks on each other’s shoulders. Soon, Ginny voiced her disappointment at not being able to see her mark.

“Let me help you with that,” Hermione offered. She conjured two mirrors to help them see the marks. The larger of the two mirrors was a wide rectangle that she affixed to the door of the cabinet with a magical magnet. The smaller one she handed to Ginny. She spun her around so she could look in both mirrors at once. Ginny squealed in delight when she saw the brilliant white unicorn on her right shoulder. She looked for a several heartbeats, remembering the vision that she had when she awoke earlier that day. She handed the mirror to Hermione reluctantly. Hermione looked in the mirror for several tense seconds. In her silence, everyone worried and wondered if she would be disappointed with her mark. She studied the Eagle on her left shoulder with great interest. Then she turned around to hand the mirror to Harry with a proud smile on her face. Harry took the mirror slowly. He was feeling a bit anxious because no one would tell him what was on his shoulder. He glanced quickly at his shoulder, relief flooding across his face. He was incredibly grateful that the fates had given him a Phoenix on his right shoulder and not a Puffskein. He tossed the mirror to Ron, grinning widely. Ron raised the mirror and stared at his left shoulder in confusion.

“Hey mate,” he called to Harry, “what is this thing on my shoulder?”

“It looks like some sort of bird,” Harry replied with a straight face.

“It’s an Albatross. One of the largest flying birds on the planet. The Albatross is an oceanic bird that lives and eats at sea,” spouted Hermione.

“Yes, Miss Granger, the Albatross can fly incredibly long distances and carry incredible amounts of food for their young,” added Dumbledore.

Ron’s look of confusion was replaced with one of modest superiority. Ginny laughed at his expression and socked him in the arm.

Hermione repaired the sleeves of everyone’s robes. Ron turned to sink into his chair, he was feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the information flying at him. He felt even more overwhelmed when he landed directly on his tailbone instead of a fluffy chair.

“Where did my chair go?” he demanded.

“I thought you might want a bit of room to practice the next part,” explained Dumbledore patiently.

Hermione was the first to understand the implications of Dumbledore’s cryptic message, but Ginny was the first to transform.

One minute, she had been standing next to Harry, watching and listening as Hermione reasoned out their new power. The next minute a pale light emerged as a unicorn shimmered into place next to Ron.

“Concentrate Harry,” Ginny called to him from deep inside his head.

Soon there was a flash and a brilliantly colored Phoenix sat on a perch next to the unicorn.

It was not long before a beautiful brown Eagle soared around the room. Hermione looked to be having the time of her life testing her new power.

“Merlin’s beard,” Ron shouted in frustration.

He stood there, staring fixedly at a point on the wall. He looked like he had come down with a fatal case of ‘U-No-Poo’.

Ron heard Hermione’s voice in the back of his head. “I know you can do it. Picture yourself soaring over an open ocean,” she called.

At once, Ron disappeared and the awesome presence of his Albatross filled the room.

Harry felt the combined jot and excitement as they all experimented with their new forms. Ron called out to him as he flew by. Hermione had perched on the edge of Professor McGonagall’s chair and allowed her to inspect her feathers. Harry, sensing that Professor McGonagall wanted to take a closer look at his tail feathers, dove down to land next to Hermione. Professor McGonagall gently felt the softness of his feathers and stared into the vastness of his eyes. He knew that she was genuinely worried, but he also saw a glimmer of hope in her eyes that refused to die.

Dumbledore hesitated to call them back, but it was long past midnight and there was precious little time left before they would be leaving on their quest.

“Although it pains me, I must ask you to return to your human forms and your chairs,” he requested sadly.

The foursome quickly appeared in their chairs. While everyone was distracted as Ron lost the last of his feathers, Professor McGonagall took the time to give some well deserved praise.

“You have made amazing progress. It takes ample courage and deep conviction to become an animagus, especially an unregistered one. I am especially impressed with your work, Miss Weasley. I don’t think anyone would guess that you are a year behind the others. I would be proud to accept all of you into my NEWT Transfiguration class next term.”

Ginny beamed at the high praise from her favorite professor. Ron looked completely baffled. He had always thought of himself as an acceptable student and now Professor McGonagall was telling him that he exceeded her expectations. Harry just smiled. He knew that they would not be returning next term, but it was nice to know that they were wanted there.

The room went silent. Harry took advantage of the silence and thought about the journey yet to come. He contemplated the horcruxes and the possibility of a future without Voldemort. His thoughts were interrupted when Dumbledore suggested that they head back to the common room and get some rest.

“The train will be arriving tomorrow morning at 11 am sharp. Miss Lovegood and Mr. Longbottom will be joining you for the trip home,” Professor McGonagall informed them.

“Sleep tight, don’t let the doxies bite,” Dumbledore called after them.

Harry led the way out of the office and down the spiral staircase. Professor McGonagall followed them as far as the Gargoyle statue. As the foursome took off down the empty corridor, she caught a fleeting glimpse of the animagi streaking away into the light of the early morning.


Chapter Three: Express Planning

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter Three: Express Planning

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Three: Express Planning


Having returned to Gryffindor Tower in the early hours of the morning, Harry knew that they should go straight to sleep. The level of pent up energy was incredibly high in the common room. Everyone was buzzing with excitement; there was so much energy that they were bouncing up and down on the balls of their feet.

“Do you reckon anyone would see us?” asked Ron.

“There isn’t anyone here to see us,” Ginny responded.

“What’s the worst that could happen?” Harry asked callously, obviously not caring what would happen.

“They could expel us!” shrieked Hermione.

The other three laughed while Hermione glared at them. She looked at the carefree looks on their faces and thought that they looked like Fred and George. The way they looked right before they flew out of Hogwarts on their brooms, never to return. She froze, a Weasley flush creeping up her face, and whirled around so her back was to them. She didn’t want to see the looks on their faces after what she said next.

“Just because I am choosing not to return next term does not mean that I want to be expelled. I don’t want my name besmirched,” she finished dramatically.

This declaration sent Harry, Ron and Ginny into fits of laughter. Ginny was laughing so hard she was crying, and Ron had managed to give himself the hiccoughs. Harry started to approach Hermione to talk some adventure into her. He had managed to get two steps closer to her when she disappeared. Her Eagle form balanced on the ledge of the open window. Harry took this as an indisputable sign that Hermione was eager for a little rule breaking. Neither Dumbledore, nor Professor McGonagall had specifically told them not to transform. They had merely suggested to them that they might want to go to bed, to get some much-needed rest. “Rest,” Harry had to stop himself from laughing out loud, “who needed to rest when you could fly?”

He transformed with a ‘pop’ similar to the one Fawkes made and soared out of the castle to join Hermione. They soared through open windows, in and out of the Owlery, and around the Quidditch Pitch. He circled on the night’s breeze, in he bright light of the moon, for a few long minutes. With another ‘pop’, he was under a grove of trees within inches of Ginny’s Unicorn form. They transformed back into their human forms and Harry pulled her close to him as he leaned against the trunk of the nearest tree. This was the first time they had been alone since their reconciliation and he intended to take advantage of the beauty of the night. He ran his fingers softly along her cheek and across her jaw. She smiled as she ran her fingers up the back of his neck, playing with the ends of his hair. They stared into each other’s eyes for a lover’s eternity. Harry slowly bent closer to her and stopped inches from her face. He could see every freckle on her nose, every eyelash against her pale skin. He was lost in thought when she pulled on his neck and brought his lips to hers. When she shifted her body closer to his, he deepened the kiss. It seemed like hours, but in reality they broke apart after a few intense moments.

Back in the chill of the night, Harry had an idea. He asked her if she would try a test of their powers. She readily agreed and he explained what he needed her to do.

“Ginny, close your eyes and imagine yourself standing outside the front door of Hagrid’s,” he urged.

Within seconds she was gone. He closed his eyes and brought his strongest memory of Ginny to the surface of his thoughts. He remembered seeing her in the Chamber, willing her to live as he felt himself dying from the Basilisk poison. He remembered her frail body lying on the cold stone slab and the feelings it evoked deep within his heart. He felt himself jerked through existence and when he opened his eyes he was not where he expected to be. He should be looking at the front door to Hagrid’s hut, but instead he was looking out over the lake. He was on top of the Astronomy Tower, standing next to Ginny. He stepped behind her and wrapped his arms around her as they stared out at the wondrous scenery in front of them.

“You knew what I was testing,” he asked her. He would never tire of the connection that he felt when he was with her.

“Yes,” she confirmed, “I wanted to take you somewhere peaceful to end the night.”

While Harry stood behind Ginny, his arms wrapped around her waist, he felt free.

He allowed his mind to wander into unfamiliar territory. Since he had found himself part of this amazing world, he had wanted to become an Auror. He felt a powerful pull to help save people after the sacrifice his mother had made for him. Now, he thought, what would he do now? His mind hadn’t changed, not really. There was just a new vision in his head. He saw a world without Voldemort. He hoped for a world where Aurors were scarcely needed. What would he choose to do in that world, he thought to himself.

Hermione soared over the tops of the Juniper and Pine trees in the Forbidden Forest. She allowed her talons to brush against the tips as she flew with her wings outstretched. Soon she felt Ron gliding alongside her. He flew above her, cautiously at first, never allowing himself too close to the trees. Slowly but surely, at Hermione’s urging, he flew faster. He was soon flying dangerously low, enjoying the exhilaration it brought him. Together they flew through the night sky, twisting and tumbling as they chased each other in the moonlight. Ron was built for lengthy flights, and being delighted with their game, he didn’t want it to end. Hermione, on the other hand, was short of breath and had a dull ache in her chest. She was exhausted and needed to stop. She called to Ron, and told him in no uncertain terms that she was going to return to the castle and go to bed. He blinked and she was gone. She had vanished into the night and left him to fly alone. Ron frolicked about for a few minutes before deciding that the game was no fun without Hermione. He vanished into the night and reappeared in the dormitory in a heap on the floor, next to his bed.

“I was going for a soft landing,” he groaned, hoping Harry was not there to witness his crash. He clambered up onto the bed and shook his head.

There was no response in the room to his loud crash or spoken words. He looked around at the five empty beds. Of course Harry wasn’t there yet, Ron thought bitterly, he was probably off snogging Ginny somewhere. I should be with Hermione right now, he thought. Harry appeared, landing softly on his bed, successfully interrupting Ron’s train of thought.

Ron was so impressed with Harry’s accurate arrival that without thinking he blurted out, “Oy, Mate. That was bloody brilliant!” The anger at the thought of Harry snogging his baby sister had vanished.

“Thanks,” Harry said, “Ginny and I have been practicing.”

Ron’s anger returned, as well as some embarrassment at the situation. “Practicing. I know that that means. You were snogging by baby sister,” he sputtered.

“No,” protested Harry unconvincingly. “I mean, I won’t lie to you, we did kiss. We also spent a lot of time working on some pretty neat stuff. Want to see?” Harry finished excitedly.

“What did you guys figure out?” Ron asked with as much excitement as Harry had.

“Let me show you,” Harry replied deviously.

“Ah…Is it dangerous?”

“Not at all. There’s no splinching like with apparating. It’s such a rush!”

Ron’s face was the color of old split pea soup, but he nodded bravely.

“Ok. I’m going to disappear. As soon as I am gone, I want you to concentrate on your most vivid memory of me. Let’s see where it takes us.” And with his instructions finished, Harry was off.

Ron closed his eyes to concentrate better. He searched his mind for his best memory of Harry. Despite everything they had been through together, Harry had shown his truest loyalty very early in their relationship.

Ron’s memory was of the first time they rode on the Hogwarts Express. When Malfoy had entered their compartment and introduced himself to Harry, Harry had refused to shake his hand. Harry had chosen Ron, with his threadbare clothes, eclectic family and dirty nose over a rich pureblooded wizard.

Ron opened his eyes and looked around. He was sure nothing had happened. He didn’t see Harry anywhere, just five empty beds. He stood up and took a few steps backward. He didn’t notice the hand that emerged from the curtains behind him. He couldn’t have saved himself from the impending torture even if he had. He was violently tugged off his feet and pulled through the curtains. He landed on his back in the middle of the bed, and three giggling bodies landed in a heap on top of him.

Ron was completely befuddled. He was not sure where he was, or what was happening. Hermione pinned his arms behind his head, while Ginny sat on his knees. Harry moved in to tickle his ribcage while he squirmed uncontrollably.

“This is a load of rubbish,” he shouted, in between attacks when he could get a breath in, “Where am I?”

Hermione was the only one who had the decency to respond. She took pity on him as the others laughed hysterically. “You’re in the girls dormitory,” she told him, “We thought it best for the four of us to sleep together again.”

At that, knowing he was safe, he slipped his arm out of Hermione’s grasp and grabbed a pillow. He whacked Ginny upside the head with his pillow before going after Harry. Harry had already disappeared. Hermione took advantage of Ron’s moment of confusion and distraction and hit him in he stomach with her pillow. Harry reappeared on top of Ron’s chest and they all collapsed in a joyful heap.

They were too tired to bother to untangle themselves once the pillow fight was over. They fell asleep immediately and slept soundly. Harry was the only one to wake when their ‘alarm’ sounded.

Harry opened his eyes at the melodious sound of the Phoenix Song. He reached across Ron and gently tugged on Ginny’s hand to wake her. She mumbled and tried roll over to go back to sleep. Harry disappeared from his position on the bed and reappeared next to Ginny. He rolled onto his stomach and played with her hair while he gently tried to rouse her. He knew that she needed more sleep, they had just gone to bed a few hours before. He wanted to let her sleep longer, but the train was leaving in less than an hour.

They had to pack their belongings, everything they owned was scattered between the two dormitories. Since Harry didn’t have the heart to wake the sleeping girls, he touched Ron’s hand and they disappeared. Ron awoke to find Harry staring at him, contemplating how best to wake him. Once Harry realized that Ron was awake, he abandoned the idea of dumping a conjured glass of ice cold water on his head. Instead he convinced Ron to help him pack everyone’s things so the girls could have a bit of a lie in. They pulled their wands out and proceeded to pack their trunks.

“Scourgify,” Harry said, and the mess left Hedwig’s cage. He then turned to Pigwidgeon’s cage and repeated the spell. With both cages clean, they searched every corner of the room for items they might have left behind.

When they were certain that no stray items had been left, they grabbed their trunks and pets and disappeared.

Leaving their stuff in the common room, the boys decided to take the stairs up to the girls dormitory. Ron went bounding up the stairs with Harry following closely behind, but they turned into a slide and they came crashing down. It was then that the boys remembered the precautions that the founders had taken to protect the girl’s purity and virtue.

“Bloody hell!” Ron exclaimed as he went whizzing down the staircase.

“I think we need to use our new abilities to get us back upstairs,” said Harry, running his hands over the sore areas on his legs. “That’s how we got in last night.”

“You mean this morning,” Ron teased, “After our long night of practicing.” He grinned widely at the memory of flying through the night with Hermione.

“Whatever,” Harry said happily, “or whenever.”

They appeared in the girl’s dormitory and started packing their stuff. They both took care not to stare too long at certain garments as they packed their clothes. Harry remembered that the girls were still in their pajamas, and he and Ron each chose their favorite outfit for the girls to change into when they awoke. When the last piece of Hermione’s parchment flew into her trunk and the trunks had closed themselves, Harry and Ron searched for items left behind. It was then that Crookshanks wrapped himself around Harry’s legs and he remembered that the girls had pets they needed to get ready too. Ron grabbed Arnold and stuffed him unceremoniously into his plastic cage. Harry politely asked Crookshanks to hop into his basket for the trip; he was relieved when Crookshanks complied with his request. They grabbed the trunks and the pets and disappeared into the common room once more.

Upon their return, they sat on the crumpled sheets and leaned in to wake the girls.

“Hermione,” whispered Ron.

“Ginny,” whispered Harry.

“Mmmm,” mumbled Ginny and Hermione in unison.

“Everything is packed,” Ron said. “We left you each a change of clothes on the cedar chest at the end of your bed.”

“The train leaves in 15 minutes,” added Harry, hoping that it would get them up quickly.

Hermione sat up, now fully awake. “Oh no,” she squealed, “We haven’t packed a thing.”

Ginny now sat up and looked around with bleary eyes. “Where are Arnold and Crookshanks?” she asked. Her voice rose with concern, as she looked everywhere for her little Pygmy Puff.

“Calm down,” Harry commanded.

“Everything is packed, like I said,” Ron interjected. “It’s all sitting in the common room waiting for us.”

Ron and Harry headed to the common room, this time enjoying the slide that the stairs transformed into. They wanted to give the girls some privacy so they could change and get ready for the trip. They were still waiting in the common room 10 minutes later when Hermione and Ginny arrived. They looked tired, but appeared to be in good spirits.

Everyone took a place near his or her trunk. Their trunks were arranged in a semi-circle around the pets, with just enough room for them to grab both at once. Harry had one hand on his trunk, his fingers grazing the tail of his broom, which had been attached to his trunk with think leather straps. His other hand he places on the handle at the top of Hedwig’s cage. Ron grabbed his trunk and Pigwidgeon’s cage. Hermione and Ginny both grabbed their trunks. Hermione had a hand on the strap on Crookshanks' basket while Ginny had Arnold’s plastic cage under her free arm.

They disappeared from the common room and reappeared a short distance away from the platform for the Hogwarts Express. They were hidden from sight from the crowd gathered on the platform. The members of the order who had come to accompany them home greeted them at the station platform. Harry saw Lupin and Tonks talking off to the side and then he saw another figure out of the corner of his eye. Neville and Luna had appeared, dragging their trunks behind them. They had taken the thestral drawn carriages to get to the platform and Neville was a little pale due to the exertion of dragging his trunk.

Harry alerted everyone that Neville and Luna had joined them. Tonks hurried over to help them with their trunks. She magicked them onto the train into the first empty compartment she came across. She returned to the platform to get Harry and Ron’s trunks. Lupin offered to help her by getting Hermione and Ginny’s. Walking closely together, they magicked the last luggage onto the train, storing it all in the same compartment. The foursome watched the two with great interest, wondering if they had finally some to terms with their affection.

Neville and Luna joined them on the platform.

“Hello,” said Neville.

“Nice to see you again,” Luna said dreamily.

“Hi,” everyone replied together.

“Neville, tell us all about your Herbology project,” Hermione coaxed.

“Hermione, let’s get on the train before we start talking. There are precautions that need to be taken. We also have a lot to discuss and we need privacy.” Harry was already heading toward the train when he finished his sentence.

Moody stopped him at the door. “You alright, Potter?” he asked.

“Yes, Professor,” Harry replied.

“Glad to hear it,” Moody replied. “You can’t be too careful, you know. Constant Vigilance.” Moody then tapped Harry on the head with his wand. Harry felt a curious sensation and looked down. He was now wearing a Muggle business suit and tie.

“Remus, Tonks, and I will be patrolling the corridors looking for anything unusual. Fred and George will be stationed in the compartment across from the one you choose.” Moody noticed the look on Harry’s face and gave a twisted grin. “They volunteered to help out.”

“I can’t believe that they would ever want to leave their shop,” said Harry.

“As much as we love our shop,” began Fred.

“And the money it brings us,” George continued.

“We just needed a little time to be creative,” they said together.

“Enough chit chat,” barked Moody. “Potter, get on the train. Weasley, you’re next.”

Moody explained that they would be taking Muggle transportation from King’s Crossing to the Dursley’s house. The Ministry had provided cars for the trip. The order had decided that it would be best if it appeared as though a group of Ministry Aurors were visiting the Dursleys just before the teens arrived. In order for them to appear as Ministry Officials, one at a time they were being transfigured by Moody. Neville and Luna were spared from the experience because they were taking a portkey from the station straight to their destination.

Moody transformed everyone into a Muggle businessperson. Hermione looked very professional in her pale blue business suit. Ginny looked much older in her black pinstriped suit. Ron and Harry were both wearing Muggle suits. Harry’s was black pinstriped that closely matched Ginny’s and Ron’s was a dark gray. They all looked much older to the world. If anyone in the Muggle world were to notice them, they would assume it was a group of encyclopedia salespeople. Should any of the Death Eaters notice them, they would appear to be a bunch of Ministry Officials.

Neville and Luna joined them in the first Prefect’s compartment. Hermione had chosen the location for its size. It was the largest compartment on the train. Harry was grateful she had picked that one because Ron had told him last year that there was food in that particular compartment. Neville had told him that he and Luna had taken a long walk that morning before heading to the platform, so they missed breakfast. The quartet had eaten nothing since breakfast the previous day and had expended a great amount of energy since. Harry was starving and knew that everyone else must be too.

They all sat down to eat. Harry and Ron filled their plates a second time and sat down again. When everyone had finished, Ginny magicked the plates away to clean themselves.

"Muffliato,” Harry said quietly. Then he locked the door to the compartment.

“Now we can speak freely,” Ginny said in a normal tone of voice. “No one will be able to hear us.”

“Did you figure to how to get rid of the Horklumps?” Luna asked sweetly.

“Did you figure out,” Neville began to ask, but he was cut off abruptly by Ginny.

“Neville, that will have to wait,” Ginny said commandingly. “Our trip is short and we have a lot to discuss with you and Luna about the DA.”

“Basically, we need to reform the DA,” said Harry.

“We need your help to contact the members and set up a meeting,” Hermione instructed.

“Will the meeting be at your new house, Harry?” Luna asked serenely.

“Most likely, Luna,” Harry replied thoughtfully. I really shouldn’t be surprised, he thought.

“One of us will contact you to let you know the time and exact location,” added Ginny.

“Are you going to tell us why?” asked Luna.

“Yes,” replied Harry. “Does anyone want to take a shot at this?”

Ron offered to explain about the Horcruxes. Harry was grateful; every thought about the path would make him a little sad. The last thing he needed was to appear weak in front of the people he was asking for help. Ron began with a bit of general history and known facts about Horcruxes. Then he ventured into the theories that they had come up with based on Dumbledore’s information. This was when Hermione jumped in to help him.

“We know that there are Horcruxes. We are pretty sure that there are exactly seven, since Vol – Tom considers seven to be the most powerfully magical number. Once all of the Horcruxes are destroyed, then we think it will be possible to destroy the portion of Tom Riddle’s soul that resides in his ‘body’,” Hermione offered.

Ron and Ginny took turns listing the Horcruxes, making sure to explain as much as they could about each one.

“We know that Tom Riddle’s diary was a Horcrux, and that it has been destroyed.” Ginny went first, getting her most painful memory out of the way.

“Marvolo’s ring was also destroyed,” Ron added.

“We are looking for Slytherin’s locket. We found it once, but it has been moved,” Ginny continued.

“And Helga Hufflepuff’s cup,” Ron added.

"Nagini, the snake, might be a Horcrux," Ginny continued.

"I don't think she is," Harry interjected. "I don't think that Tom would trust another living creature with a portion of his soul."

Seeing Neville’s look of confusion, Ginny hastened to find the words to explain Harry's statement.

Luna, who hadn’t said much of anything for a long while, saved her. Harry had the distinct impression that she was more involved with her butterbeer cork necklace than the conversation taking place around her. She surprised everyone by saying firmly, “The only way to destroy him is to change him back into the boy he was when he was Tom Riddle. Since that’s the way he will be during the final battle, it’s best to think of him that way now. We are starting with his name, which will destroy the power of his chosen name.”

Ginny smiled broadly at her classmate. “Exactly what I was thinking, Luna.”

“If Nagini is not a Horcrux, then that leaves two Horcruxes,” Harry said, knowing it was time for them to tread lightly. “Before he died, Dumbledore shared some of his theories with me. I believe that the last two Horcruxes belong to the remaining two founders of Hogwarts.”

“You know where they are?” Luna asked.

“I am confident that we will be able to figure it out with the knowledge that Dumbledore has passed on to us.” Harry replied somewhat shakily.

“We need to discuss our travel plans once we reach King’s Cross Station,” Ginny said.

Hermione, who had been quiet for some time allowing the siblings to enjoy the spotlight, took her turn explaining the next step of the journey.

“We will need to meet with the DA to discuss the possibility of a Death Eater attack,” she began. “First we will have to go to Harry’s Aunt and Uncle’s house. We will be there for a fortnight. Then we will be returning to the Burrow for Bill’s wedding. After that, we will have to visit the Headquarters for the Order and Godric’s Hollow. We will need the plans for the DA to be in place before we return from those trips. We are fairly certain that there will be some heavy Death Eater attacks once they find out we have begun our search. The only time for us to meet before we leave on our journey is at Bill’s wedding.”

“You can count on us, Harry,” said Neville strongly, “we won’t let you down.”

“If my Dad can find the elusive Narglesap, Neville and I can locate the members of the DA,” Luna said. “We will meet you at the wedding.”

Harry looked out the window of their compartment at the scenery flying by. He was startled when he recognized the area they were passing through. He remembered just how different it looked from the window of a flying Ford Anglia.

Hermione felt that the mood was too tense after such a serious conversation. She tried to break the ice by asking Neville about his Herbology project.

Neville looked incredibly proud as he began to describe each of his plants in loving detail. After he had finished with Greenhouse #1 and was about to start on Greenhouse #2, Ron interrupted him.

“Neville, you want to see something really fantastic?” Ron asked.

“Sure,” Neville said, looking a bit wary.

Ron disappeared. Neville looked a little startled, but figured that he had learned how to apparate. He nearly had a heart attack when Ginny morphed into a Unicorn. After Harry morphed into a Phoenix and Hermione into an Eagle he began to relax. He had calmed down enough to stroke Harry’s feathers when Luna pointed out the great Albatross that was soaring alongside the train. That was when it was too much for Neville and he slumped over in his seat, his head on Luna’s lap.

Everyone transformed back and Harry went to get Fred and George. He unlocked the door and removed the Muffliato spell from the compartment. He asked Fred and George if they wanted to play some card games. They spent the rest of the trip playing Exploding Snap with the twins.

They reached the station and the members of the Order disembarked, helping them with their things. They had no idea what had gone on in the compartment during the trip. They hadn’t heard a peep out of anyone until the twins joined them. They were a little worried at how pale Neville was, but he also had a determined look on his face.

Tonks and Lupin offered to drive Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny to #4 Privet Drive. Tonks had morphed into an older man on the train. She was now wearing a Muggle tuxedo and cap to cover her gray hair. Lupin had also changed into a Muggle tuxedo. Lupin opened the rear door of the Ministry car, which happened to be a limousine, and quickly ushered the quartet into the car. Everyone waved to Luna and Neville from the windows as they watched them get dragged away by Fred and George. Harry couldn’t help but feel a little bit sorry for them, who knew what pranks they would pull on the trip home.

Lupin slid into the front seat of the Ministry car next to Tonks. He shut the front door and the car pulled away from the curb.

“Take a deep breath. It will be okay,” Harry told himself. He pulled Ginny close to him and prepared for a boring ride to Privet Drive. He looked across the back of the car to the seat facing him and smiled at Ron. Ron was holding Hermione’s hand tightly; looking a little worried about the reception at the house.

They all leaned back against the cool leather seats and decided to make the trip a bit more pleasant. Ginny stretched her leg across the gap and rested her ankle next to Ron’s wrist. He moved his unoccupied hand and laid his palm on Ginny’s ankles. Hermione mimicked her and moved her leg across to rest near Harry’s free hand. He grabbed her ankle gently. They closed their eyes simultaneously and their vision began.

Chapter Four: Home Sweet Home

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter Four: Home Sweet Home

Author's Notes: Author's Note: J.K. Rowling is responsible for the increible creation of the Harry Potter Universe. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Four: Home Sweet Home


The Ministry car pulled up to the curb in front of #4 Privet Drive. It sat at the curb, idling for a long moment. No one emerged from the rear of the car. Had anyone been looking, they might have wondered if it was someone of great importance that rode in the rear seat of the limousine.

Tonks and Lupin got out of the front seat in their Muggle tuxedos. Tonks immediately went to the trunk and pulled her wand out discretely. Her hand movements were unnoticeable as she transfigured the luggage, one piece at a time. After emerging from the front of the car, Lupin opened the rear door and offered his hand to Ginny to help her out. After exiting the car, Tonks handed her a black beaded handbag and then returned to the trunk. Remus then offered his hand to Hermione. She allowed herself to be helped from the back seat of the car and accepted the cream-colored leather handbag that Tonks offered her. Remus and Tonks both stepped aside and headed to the trunk of the car as Ron and Harry exited from the rear door. Tonks handed Ron his black leather briefcase, while Professor Lupin handed Harry his black leather knapsack.

The four teenagers and their escorts proceeded up the walkway to the front door. Harry was prepared for a confrontational Uncle Vernon. He knew that no matter how upset Uncle Vernon was, it was nothing compared to Mrs. Weasley's wrath. Tonks, Professor Lupin and Professor McGonagall had all gone to talk to her the day of Dumbledore's funeral.

"Molly, the children need to be together. Ron and Ginny must satisfy their need to protect Harry. He is Ron's best friend and Ginny's boyfriend,¨ Minerva said as she tried to explain her acceptance of the situation.

"Absolutely not,¨ Molly said firmly, "I will not be persuaded that easily to let my precious ones leave my side and be put into the direct path of danger."

"Molly, they have chosen a path that many of us cannot understand,¨ he said confidently. "We might not understand it, but it is their choice to make. We are facing the possible end of our world. The path that they have chosen is dark and dangerous, but they are brave."

"You don't understand what it feels like,¨ Molly wailed at Remus. "I will not allow them to traipse off on some foolhardy mission that they won't return from.¨ She was unflinching in her demand that her children be returned to her immediately.

In the end, after much arguing, it was Tonks who put it into perspective for Molly. She explained it in a way that Molly couldn't fight. There was no argument that she could make that would justify keeping her children, Molly thought.

"Molly. Listen to me carefully. Harry needs them. He needs all of them. They are his life and his love. Without them he cannot defeat Voldemort.¨ Tonks was on a roll as she continued to grow louder. "HE WILL NOT DEFEAT HIM,¨ she shouted. There is nothing that he wouldn't do for them,¨ she continued in a softer voice. "Everything that he is undertaking is to provide a world in which they can live happily and safely. A world that we all can live in without fearing for our lives, without fearing for our children's lives.¨

Molly was silent as she pondered what Tonks had told her. She looked at Tonks and remembered the despair she felt when Remus has refused her. Tonks wanted a world in which their love could bloom. She wanted a world in which any love could bloom. With Voldemort still alive, that was not possible. With Voldemort still alive, no one was safe. With tears in her eyes, she nodded her assent.

"Take them where you will,¨ she told them, "just return them to me safely.¨

"They will be returning to The Burrow after two weeks at Privet Drive. They will be back in time for the wedding. They are looking forward to it, I believe we all are.¨ Minerva hugged Molly stiffly and prepared to take her leave, Tonks also stepped back.

"We all care for them,¨ Remus reminded her, "We love them as our own.¨ Smiling carefully, he needed to add one more thing. "I swear I will keep them safe, Molly.¨ He whispered the last part so that only she could hear.


Tonks had told him that Mrs. Weasley had agreed to allow Ron and Ginny to accompany him to Privet Drive. I wonder how she did it, he thought. Then he noticed that the curtains were swinging back into place. He reached out to knock on the front door. His hand had barely made contact with the painted wood when they all heard a thundering sound.

The engine of Vernon Dursley's car roared to life and echoed in the garage of #4 Privet Drive. The immense noise comforted him, and as the sound died down a bit, he revved the engine to the max. The sound threatened to overpower the small enclosure. He jammed the car into reverse. As Harry and his entourage stared in disbelief, Vernon reversed out onto the Drive with a savage nod of his head.

Harry just barely caught a glimpse of Dudley’s head in the rear seat of the car. The car sped away, as if trying to outrun Voldemort himself. That's ridiculous, Harry thought, he doesn’t believe that Tom has any influence over his life. Uncle Vernon would always believe that he retained absolute power and control over his and his family's lives.

Remus stepped up, moving Harry's arm out of the way, and knocked on the smooth surface of the front door. Aunt Petunia immediately opened the door and Harry knew that she had been the one peering out the curtains at their arrival. She stepped aside silently and allowed them to enter her home.

Once they were all inside the entryway, Remus pull his wand from the inside pocket of his robes and transfigured everyone back. Petunia was visibly offended by Tonks' violet hair.

She bit her lip to avoid saying anything to the woman with the atrocious hair. Why Harry always had to bring an entourage of odd people with him she would never know, she thought viciously. What would the neighbors say about her family after they saw that awful woman leaving her house?

“Aunt Petunia,” Harry began slowly and deliberately. “Tonks and Professor Lupin will Apparate back to Headquarters. You don’t need to worry about anyone seeing them leave.” Petunia sniffed loudly with disapproval of the idea of anyone Apparating in her house. Whatever it was called, it sounded messy and she didn't want it happening in her spotless house. She hoped that everyone understood that she would not tolerate the nonsense that had practically destroyed her life. Suddenly, she felt the strange urge to hug Harry. He was practically all she had left. She had lost her parents and her only sister to the ridiculousness of magic. Who knows when, or if, Vernon will return, she thought.

Ginny sensed the attitude change in Harry’s Aunt and made a quick exit from the tense situation. Ron grabbed Harry’s knapsack, as well as his own, and the three made their way up the stairs to Harry’s bedroom. Professor Lupin and Tonks also looked distinctly uncomfortable. Tonks merely wandered off, while Professor Lupin took the time to excuse himself.

“I am afraid that I must ask you to excuse us for a moment. Tonks and I need to check on some of the security measures that Professor Dumbledore placed the last time he was here.” He took the opportunity to leave to add the last bit of protection to the house. While the protection from Harry’s Mom remained, Tonks and Professor Lupin were adding a few new safety measures. While the protection from Order was strong, it was only effective inside the house. Intruders would be able to access the grounds around the house, but would be incapacitated upon entering the residence.

Harry was now alone with his Aunt. He had been worried that she would be angry, but she looked more nervous. He was lost in his thoughts, pondering what was troubling her, when she spoke.

“Vernon left me,” she said, quite sadly. “He took Dudley and he said that he won’t return until I promise to cease all contact with you. That is, if he ever decides to return.”

“What?” Harry asked, amazed at his Uncle’s nerve. “Why? Didn’t you tell him that I would only be here for two weeks and that you are rid of me for good after that? If he’s really lucky, I might snuff it in this awful war.”

“No, Harry,” she said firmly. “That’s why he left. I told him that you would always be welcome here, whenever you wished to return. I also told him that we were more protected with you around. He refuses to believe in your capabilities. He just doesn’t understand the wizarding world.”

Harry was floored. He took a few steps into the living room and sank down on to the sofa. He stared at the yellow centers on the white flowers dotting the pale blue fabric. He felt as small as one of those tiny flowers. He wished he could tell his Aunt everything he was feeling. She had stood up for him, he thought, without a threat from Dumbledore. The emotions were tearing through him and he was forced to press his lips together tightly. If he opened his mouth, he might not be able to stop all of his secrets from pouring out. He looked up at his Aunt, his eyes full of tears, and tried not to babble incoherently.

“I know that you don’t approve of my world,” he talked quickly. “I never wanted to drag my family and friends into my fate. I just want you to know that I will do everything I can to protect you.” He ended quite suddenly and sat in silence waiting for her approval.

Petunia looked at Harry; his eyes swollen and cheeks flushed, and she regretted letting Vernon bully her into treating him so poorly. Vernon had been the one to hate everything to do with magic, she thought. He had nearly destroyed the little that was left of her true family.

“Harry, I need to tell you something,” she said cautiously, uncertain how to break the news.

Harry heard them on the stairs, chatting loudly, before he saw them round the corner. Remus and Tonks appeared a short minute later, smiling and quieting their booming conversation as the approached Harry. He knew that they had been giving him a fair warning that they were returning. He smiled wanly at them and tried to reign in his emotions. While he was grateful to see them, he was also a bit peeved that they had interrupted his Aunt’s confession. Now all he could think about was what she had been prepared to say.

“Wotcher, Harry,” Tonks said gaily.

“We will be leaving shortly,” said Lupin. “We needed to discuss a few things with you before we go. Might we have a moment alone?” He turned to Petunia after he finished his last sentence.

“Certainly,” she replied, “I will be in the kitchen fixing supper.”

“Thank you, Petunia,” Remus said, acknowledging her unspoken acceptance of her status.

Petunia left the room quickly. She was disappointed that they did not trust her with Harry’s welfare any longer. She was also relieved that she had been granted a short reprieve from sharing her secret.

Remus waited until she had walked into the kitchen and then he turned to Harry, waiting expectantly. Harry was nervous at Professor Lupin’s request to use magic. He still wasn’t sure that the Ministry wouldn’t be able to tap into his use of magic. Despite what Dumbledore told him, he was still sixteen and technically underage. Dumbledore had explained that the Ministry would now consider them of age, as if they were married. The great part was that there would be no record of their bond in the Ministry, and they would be free to perform magic.

Without alerting Tonks, who had no idea what was about to happen, his hand found his wand in his pocket and prepared to cast a spell. He pulled the wand from his pocket and made a stabbing motion toward the door to the kitchen.

“Muffliato,” Harry said confidently. He had been using the spell since he found it in the Prince’s book.

Tonks gasped as her face registered shock and her hair turned a brilliant shade of lime green. Where would Harry have learned such powerful magic, she thought. He was using it casually, like an everyday household spell, as if he had used it many times before. She was shocked that Harry was comfortable using a spell that was created by dark wizards. She wondered if he even knew that it was dark magic. Maybe he does know it is dark magic, she thought, and he likes using it. She was instantly mortified at the thought. The idea of the Boy Who Lived embracing dark magic was ridiculous, she admonished herself. Remus just smiled and complimented Harry on both amazing and embarrassing a fully trained Auror.

“Harry,” Lupin began, “we have protected this house as best we can.”

“The protections Dumbledore placed on this house are still in place, right?” Harry asked.

“Your blood bond is still in place, yes. None of the other charms will be effective, since Dumbledore is no longer here. That is why we had to add some of our own creation.” Lupin fidgeted nervously and smiled sadly.

“Why do we need any more protection than the blood bond?” Harry asked rather thickly. Hermione would have understood without further explanation, he thought, but he was lost.

“Your mother’s protection only extends to you and your Aunt,” Lupin said gently. “Hermione, Ron and Ginny would be left unprotected.”

Harry understood at once. He started to tell Professor Lupin that he was wrong, dead wrong. Not only were he and his friends protected while they were together, but he was positive that his bond now extended to protect them as well. When the realization hit him, it was as if Ron had hurled one of Hagrid’s rock cakes straight at his head. It would be hard to keep a secret from his favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. No one in the Order but Professor McGonagall knew about their bond yet. Then something even more disturbing occurred to him. It had to stay that way. No one could know about their bond. He tried to keep the concern out of his voice so as not to betray his thoughts.

“I guess I didn’t consider that,” Harry said clearly.

Tonks had returned her hair to its normal bubble gum pink color and short length. Then Harry noticed her scrunching her face up in concentration, or maybe she had noticed something in his eyes. He hoped desperately that he had not given anything away with his statement. The last thing he needed was for someone to notice that something was amiss. His worry dissolved as he glanced at Tonks once more.

Her hair had grown to floor length and turned the same silvery blonde color as Fleur’s. She had transformed her face into what many considered to be a ‘classic’ beauty. The color of her eyes were a brilliant blue, deeper than the oceans, and brighter than the brightest fairy light. Her lips were ruby red and their fullness could enchant any man. Then, Harry’s eyes left her face and he noticed what Professor Lupin was already staring at.

Harry was not sure which of them was more shocked. Harry was the same color of scarlet as the feathers in his Phoenix form. Professor Lupin could have caught a Quaffle in his open mouth.

Tonks stood before them with nothing but her hair to cover her body.

“Maybe I should conjure a horse too?” she asked innocently.

Harry was pretty sure that Professor Lupin had managed to swallow his tongue. He had only heard a strangled croak escape his professor’s mouth since Tonks had morphed.

“Well, I think I have sufficiently proved my point. Everyone, even the great Mooney, is capable of being shocked and embarrassed,” Tonks said coyly as she morphed back into her normal appearance. She nodded knowingly at Harry before saying her goodbye and disappearing with a ‘pop’.

Professor Lupin still had not recovered from his loss of verbal skills when Tonks left. It took him several fierce shakes of his head to be able to close his mouth. Harry grinned and chuckled to himself. Professor Lupin might have finally gotten a view of the bigger picture, he thought.

“It has always got to be extreme with that one,” Lupin finally managed to croak.

“Professor,” Harry replied as he tried not to smirk, “you might want to consider conjuring that horse yourself.”

Professor Lupin refused to meet Harry’s eyes as he told him to bid everyone farewell for him. He told Harry that a Ministry wizard would be arriving for the car. They will be able to Apparate directly into the front seat of the car, and return the car to the Ministry. We will be back in two weeks time, at eight in the evening to collect you,” he said. “As for your pets, we will be sending them to the Burrow today. It will be easier for everyone that way.”

Professor Lupin turned serious as he asked Harry if he understood the protections that they had placed on the house.

“They are only strong enough to protect the interior of the house,” he said. “They will not be able to stop people from Apparating onto the lawn. Nor will they be able to stop people from trying to curse you through an open window. At the risk of sounding like Alastor, I want to pass on a piece of advice. CONSTANT VIGILENCE!” He ruffled Harry’s hair, smiled at him encouragingly and left.

Harry thought about his friends waiting for him upstairs. Then he thought about his Aunt, alone in the kitchen with her secret. He made up his mind and walked toward the kitchen to confront her.

He entered the kitchen and stopped in the doorway. He saw his Aunt standing over the kitchen sink. He could hear her muffled sobs. He had seen Mrs. Weasley in this position before and he knew he shouldn’t interrupt her grief.

She turned from the sink suddenly and noticed that Harry was standing in the doorway. He knew that his chance to retreat was gone. It would be a fair bit of time before he would be able to see his friends. The thought of the impending conversation made him wary. He was expecting her to blame him for Vernon and Dudley’s departure.

Instead of saying anything, Petunia picked up a small cardboard box. The box, like many other things in the Dursley house, was covered with small pastel flowers. She held the box reverently. She crossed the room slowly, dreading Harry’s reaction to the contents. Taking her time, she handed him the box, her hands shaking badly with nerves. She indicated that he should not open the box yet and then finally spoke.

“Harry, I know that you don’t have any reason to care about my family. We showed you no courtesy or love. We haven’t shown any respect for you or your world. We simply acted as though it didn’t exist. We couldn’t care about something that didn’t exist. Unfortunately, that also meant that we couldn’t care about you. I couldn’t care about you. I hope that some day you will understand that I have always loved you. I am proud to say that you are a member of my family. I think that the items in this box will bring you some solace. I hope that they will also bring you comfort and motivation to help you in your time of need. You should take it somewhere and open it when you are prepared.”

Her speech left him with a hollow feeling in his chest. He didn’t know what to expect from the pastel pink box that appeared harmless. It’s probably anything but harmless, he thought grimly. He nodded to his Aunt and left the kitchen numbly.

The door to his old room was closed, he noticed, as he ascended the last few steps. He stood on the landing outside the door for an eternity listening to the muffled sounds of laughter through the thin door. He raised his hand to open the door and join his friends. As his fingers touched the knob, he sighed softly and disappeared.

He had always found peace under the hedge outside of the Dursley’s living room window. He had stayed there for hours in an attempt to escape the heat and their cruelty. Now he was back under the hedge. This time, it was an attempt to escape the new feelings of respect and love.

He was hunched over the box, prepared to protect it from any force of dark magic. His body visibly shuddered as he opened the lid of the box. Once he saw the contents of the box, his body relaxed when he realized it did not contain photos to haunt his dreams.

There were parchment envelopes, multitudes of them, all bearing his name. He thumbed through them quickly. He noticed that his name was written in ink that was every color of the rainbow. There was even an envelope that flashed each letter in a different color. That envelope reminded him of Hermione. He fondly remembered the time she had bewitched the drawing of the lion at his Quidditch match. The handwriting on each of the envelopes was unique. Some of the writing looked familiar, and some looked like a child had written them.

Taking a deep breath, he reached into the box. He reached to the bottom of the box and removed all of the envelopes. He piled them neatly in front of him in the dirt. He had intended to put them back into the box after reading them, but to his great surprise it was still full. He reached into the box again and emptied it, creating a second pile in the dusty area next to the first. He concluded that the box was a powerful magic object when he removed the seventh and final pile from the box.

After all of the letters were removed from the box, a piece of parchment floated to the ground at his knees. The words glowed brightly on the parchment. He picked it up with his right hand, while setting the box down with his left. He read the parchment carefully several times.

Instructions for use of a

Memorable Moments Montage

Property of Mr. Harry James Potter

Now that you have removed all of your envelopes from the container all of your magical moments are available for you to enjoy.

Step 1. Choose an envelope.
Step 2. Open the flap and remove the parchment.
Step 3. Read the enclosed note.
Step 4. Upon completion of said note, prepare for the experience of a lifetime.
Step 5. Repeat as desired.


He surveyed the piles that surrounded him and chose the one with his name in green script. He chose the envelope because it reminded him of his Hogwarts letters. He opened the letter and slowly read the parchment. There wasn’t much to read it was a short and simple note.

Harry,

Your mother once helped me get over the loss of my best friend, my pet owl. She comforted me and performed her best cheering charm. I will never forget her kindness.

Very Truly Yours,

Tom


He read the signature and it was as if he had fallen into Dumbledore’s Pensieve. He found himself in someone else’s memory. He was standing a few feet away and staring at a wizard who was wearing a robe the same color as the script on the envelope. He took a deep breath, turned his head to the left, and saw his Mom. He watched the memory unfold as he watched his Mom comfort the wizard he knew to be Tom, the bartender from the Leaky Cauldron. He watched as they became engaged in a deep conversation. Tom was still shaking and sobbing when Lilly pulled out her wand. After a short flash of light, Tom stopped sobbing. Lilly continued to comfort him and chat with him until he was smiling.

Harry found himself back under the hedge and decided to open another envelope. He chose one with messy pink writing. He opened it and read the note, which was a bit longer than Tom’s.

Wotcher Harry,

When I was younger, my family didn’t have a whole lot of money. Mom didn’t see much of the family fortune after marrying a Muggle.

More than anything I wanted to play Quidditch, but we couldn’t afford a decent broom. Who am I kidding, we couldn’t afford a broom at all. When I got to Hogwarts, I flew on the school brooms. They weren’t perfect, but they were reliable enough to learn on, right?

The summer between my second and third year, your Dad offered to host a summer camp for the younger kids. He took the summer off from his job and came to Hogwarts to train us like we were a real team. He even got Madam Malkin’s to sponsor us, so we got real brooms to fly on.

James helped me get over my self-consciousness while I was flying. He treated me like a normal witch, even though my hair would change colors every time I made a mistake during a game. He never let me quit. James was the one who taught me that the world is just one big Quidditch match. He gave me the support I needed to be confident with myself. He helped me see that I could conquer the world, if I wanted to.

I will never forget how James treated me like an equal. He treated everyone like an equal.

Bye,

Tonks


Harry snickered aloud at the idea of the changing hair color. He closed his eyes, prepared for the new memory. He saw his Dad on the Quidditch Pitch at Hogwarts. He saw about fifty kids crowded around him, each vying for his attention. He took his time and explained things patiently. He smiled at each and every one of the kids. He went to each one individually and showed them the proper way to hold a broom. Within a few minutes, he had them all hovering a few feet off the ground. Then he saw a young girl, with bright pink hair, streak off into the sky. He watched as his Dad hopped onto his own broom and flew after her. He pulled her onto his broom and brought her back down to safety. By the time she had returned to the ground, her hair was lime green. Harry smiled at the younger version of Tonks, looking at his Dad like he was better than the most famous Quidditch player in the history of the game.

Having returned from that memory, Harry couldn’t help but pick up another envelope. This one had tidy letters printed in yellow ink.

To my favorite Godson,

Please accept my memory of your parents. I can’t begin to tell you what they meant to me. They gave me all the love that they had to give. Their trust in me gave me the hope and courage to persevere. Just remember that I will always be your Godfather.

Much love,

Sirius


Harry’s eyes clouded over with tears as the memory began. He saw his parents in their finest robes. Sirius and Professor Lupin were standing next to his Dad. Aunt Petunia was standing next to his Mom. He watched the ceremony from beginning to end. He wondered if that was what Bill and Fleur’s wedding would be like in a couple of weeks. He watched as they laughed and danced as the afternoon became night. His Dad conjured millions of fairly lights to illuminate the dancing area. The festivities went long into the night. Every now and again someone would interrupt the partying to say something about the bride and groom. Sirius waited until last and it had died down to make his dedication. He told Lilly and James that they had true love. True love never dies, thought Harry as he was pulled back into the reality of the dirt he was crouched in.

He was somewhat reluctant to open another envelope, but it didn’t take curiosity long to override his sadness. He chose one with loopy blue writing that seemed to dance across the envelope. He smiled as he read the note.

Harry,

Even while they were still in school, your parent’s connection amazed me. I thought I would never see one that strong again. Then I saw you with your friends at the Ministry, and I knew I had found another true connection. I know that you will be able to accomplish greatness together. May you and your friends live as happily as your parents did.

Remus Lupin


Harry was amazed at the memory that began with a bang. He watched as James pulled another student out of the way as the cauldron exploded with the force of a Muggle bomb. While he was protecting his fellow Gryffindor, Lilly was containing and vanishing the resulting mess. Within minutes, they had cleared the classroom and calmed down their fellow students. James comforted those who were terrified, while Lilly held a particularly emotional young witch.

There was no verbal communication between his parents, just an unspoken understanding. We can have that, thought Harry. Ginny and I already can do it a bit and soon Hermione and Ron will be able to also. He was back, crouched in his dusty hiding place, before he realized that the memory was over.

Do I dare open one more, he thought. Harry thought of Ron, Ginny, and Hermione upstairs waiting for him. He had to open just one more; he wasn’t quite ready to give up his parents. The last one he was going to chose had violet writing. It was neat and precise. He chose it because it reminded him of the parchment he had read with the address for the Order of the Phoenix. He was hoping that it would be from whom he thought, but he was also prepared for it to be someone else. He opened the envelope and was not disappointed.

Dearest Harry,

I spent a great deal of time with your parents during our work with the Order. I saw them both as brave Gryffindors and as loving parents. I am proud to count myself among those that they called friends. I spent many conflicted hours trying to choose what memory I felt was most indicative of their strength and courage. I hope that this memory will do them justice.

Good Luck,
Albus Dumbledore


Harry could not contain the tears this time. He knew that this would be the last letter that he opened. He waited for the memory to begin as he pictured Ginny next to him to support him. Dumbledore was trying to talk James and Lilly into going into hiding. He wanted them to quit their work with the Order and run from Voldemort. Moody was there also trying to convince them to hide. Professor Lupin, Sirius, and Peter were all there too. They were all offering to help them find a way to vanish. James and Lilly were fighting heatedly. There was no way they were going to give up their work for the Order. James and Lilly both said that there would be nothing left in the world to live for if Voldemort had his way. They argued that it would do no good to survive if there was nowhere safe for Harry to play with his friends. Dumbledore explained that they would be alive. After much heated arguing, Sirius finally convinced them to compromise. James and Lilly would go into hiding, but they would not stop trying to defeat Voldemort. Harry stared in horror as he watched Dumbledore perform the Fidelius Charm. He felt his heart break as he saw Peter accept responsibility as their Secret Keeper. When the charm was completed, Harry felt a surge of rage that threatened to overwhelm him. Mercifully, the memory stopped. Harry was once again aware of his surroundings.

He decided to save the rest of the letters for another time. He needed to be with Ginny. Quickly, he packed the letters back into the box. Just as he began to push off the ground, he heard a suspicious noise. Then he saw the black robe of a Death Eater on the walk in front of the house. He flashed upstairs to warn the others. Within seconds they all had their wands at the ready. As they charged down the stairs, Harry yelled at his Aunt to stay in the kitchen. He sealed the doors to the kitchen and then sent a protection charm in that direction. He prepared himself for battle as he led Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to the entryway.

The doorbell sounded loudly, echoing through the tiled room. Ginny positioned herself to open the door, while Ron and Hermione fanned out behind Harry. They were close enough to help shield Harry, but far enough apart to pose separate threats to the enemy. Ginny swung the front door open to reveal Draco Malfoy. He was alone on the front step, dressed in his Muggle best.

He had barely opened his mouth when four different spells hit him square in the chest. He was knocked off his feet by a stunning spell, the leg-locking curse, a silencing spell, and one fantastic bat bogey hex.

He hadn’t hit the ground when Hermione magicked him into the house as Ginny conjured ropes to bind him tightly. Ron contributed by viciously kicking him in the ribs.

“Hey, Mate. You should try that, it felt bloody fabulous.” Ron looked directly at Malfoy, as if willing him to move, while he spoke to Harry.

“Ron,” Hermione admonished. She grabbed Ron’s arm with her hand and moved so that she stood between Ron and Malfoy.

Harry saw Hermione’s hand on Ron’s arm. He watched as Ron pulled her beside him, his arm around her, and gently caressed her stomach. Harry couldn’t believe that Ron had picked now to be unafraid to show his affection. Here, in front of the enemy, he thought. Harry sighed and grabbed Ginny’s hand to steady himself. He revived Malfoy, although he was sorely tempted to kick him in the ribs first, and removed the silencing spell.

Malfoy’s eyes were wide, darting from side to side as he looked around the room with fear in his eyes. He struggled mightily against his restraints until he saw Harry. Harry noticed that Malfoy’s bonds had begun to loosen considerably, and for a moment Harry thought he was going for his wand.

“This was a mistake,” Draco mumbled.

“What are you saying, you coward?” Harry screamed with cold fury in his voice.

“I can now see that you are not ready for the truth,” he declared haughtily.

Draco reached for his left arm, struggling under the loosening bindings. He touched his bare forearm, his fingers brushing the Dark Mark that now burned there. It glowed brightly as he muttered an incantation. He grimaced at the sight of Ron holding Hermione and vanished.

All that was left was a small pile of rope on the floor that had been used to bind Malfoy. Harry waved his wand at the kitchen to remove the charms he had placed there. Slowly Ron, Ginny, and Hermione turned to face Harry.

Chapter Five: Wedding Bell Bliss

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter Five: Wedding Bell Bliss

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone. I owe everything, including the desire to continue creating, to her and her magnificent creations.

The Wedding Vows that Bill and Fleur use to seal their unbreakable vow are borrowed from the lyrics of a Neil Diamond song: One Hand, One Heart. I chose this song for two reasons. One, first and foremost, I think that the lyrics portray my views on marriage succinctly. Two, Mum had this song sung at her wedding and I have seen how it can touch people, especially two people in love.


Chapter Five: Wedding Bell Bliss


Harry spent the rest of his stay at Privet Drive with his family. “Never thought I’d be able to say that,” he thought as he watched Ginny lose another game of War to Ron. It was a Muggle card game that Hermione had taught them to pass the time, when they weren’t helping Aunt Petunia. Ron didn’t understand why they couldn’t play Exploding Snap but it was obvious to the other three that Harry’s Aunt would go crazy with all the noise Exploding Snap produced.

He and Ron had offered to help with the garden work while the ladies helped with the household chores. Ron was sure that they had the better end of the deal. “Who wants to wash a million dishes,” he thought, “working in the garden will be so much easier.” Then he learned that they couldn’t use magic. Harry mowed the lawn and pruned the bushes while Ron weeded the flowerbeds and covered them with manure.

The ladies remained in the house with Petunia. Hermione watched the vacuum cleaner in the living room after bewitching several rags to dust throughout the house. Ginny had set the oven to auto-clean and set a mop to cleaning the floor before she tackled the dishes. She was watching the dishes wash and rinse themselves before they stacked themselves neatly back in the cupboards.

A short while later the house was sparkling clean and the ladies were resting comfortably on the sofa. Petunia had made lemonade and biscuits earlier and they sat chatting easily. Ginny and Hermione had been nervous at first. They hadn’t been sure how Petunia would react to who they were and what they were capable of. They were genuinely impressed when Petunia took the initiative to start the conversation.

“Thank you,” Petunia uttered cautiously. “I really appreciate your help. I never thought that cleaning the house could be so easy.”

“You are welcome,” Hermione responded graciously.

“I can’t imagine how Harry could have survived without magic, living in this awful house,” Ginny snapped angrily. “I have never been one to play the diplomat and I’m not going to start now,” she thought.

“I don’t know how he survived here either, with the way that we treated him. The way that I treated him,” Petunia responded passionately. “He is an amazingly resilient person. And, from what I hear, an incredibly powerful wizard. I am proud to know him. I am proud to be able to call him family. I am grateful beyond words that I have been given another chance to show him that I care about him. I am thankful for the opportunity to get to know him better. I want to get to know all of you better.”

Hermione and Ginny exchanged a long glance after Petunia ended her impassioned plea. It was Ginny who chose to break the silence.

“Petunia,” Ginny said, “Harry and I are a couple. I don’t know if you knew that.” She glanced at Hermione for support before continuing. “My brother and Hermione are together as well. Harry and I, along with Ron and Hermione, are now family. I would be honored to include you in my family.”

Hermione nodded vigorously at Ginny’s last statement and hastened to add her own thoughts. “Would you consider being our Aunt as well?” she asked. “Ron and I haven’t told anyone of our relationship. He has such a large family to tell. It would be nice to talk to someone about it before I face the Weasleys.”

Hermione and Ginny spent the better part of an hour sharing their lives with Petunia. A clock chiming in the background awoke Hermione to the time. She jumped up from the couch. “The guys are still out there, working hard,” she said laughing, “and here we are gossiping away.”

“Maybe we should take them some lemonade to cool them down,” Ginny suggested.

“They look like they could use some cooling off,” Petunia added, giggling.

All three of them looked out the window and saw Ron, carrying a heavy bag of manure and sweating profusely. Then Harry happened by the window, pushing the manual lawnmower. Hermione and Ginny flushed guiltily as one of the enchanted dust rags flew by search of errant dirt.

Hermione grabbed the pitcher of lemonade and two empty glasses. Ginny went to the bathroom to find some large bath towels. As they headed to the door, Petunia was certain that she had seen a wicked glint in Ginny’s eyes.

“Where are you going with the bath towels?” Petunia asked.

“They look awfully hot, don’t they? I’m not sure that lemonade alone will do the trick,” she said mischievously as she walked out the front door.

Petunia suddenly understood what the towels were for. She considered warning the boys.
‘They need a break,” she thought, “a chance to be kids.” She took a step back into the entrance hall and closed the door. “I don’t want the tile to get wet.”

Harry and Ron barely noticed the ladies coming out of the house. All they saw were the two glasses and the cold pitcher of lemonade. They were both exhausted and ready for a long break. They collapsed under the shade of the Magnolia tree.

Hermione poured them both a glass of lemonade. Then, noticing where Ginny was, she took a step back and returned to the safety of the front stoop with the fragile glass pitcher. Harry and Ron gulped down their lemonade greedily and Hermione returned to get their glasses to refill them. She had conveniently left the pitcher on the first step.

Harry did not notice that Ginny had not greeted him, or that she hung back while Hermione got them the lemonade. Ron was so tired that he barely noticed Hermione, let alone Ginny. While Hermione had kept them busy with the lemonade, Ginny had been creeping slowly toward the end of the garden hose. She silently picked up the end of the hose, twisting the nozzle to fully open and holding it behind her back. Then, she carefully reached behind her to grab the spigot. When she was confident that Hermione was safely out of harms way, she cranked the handle and turned the water on full blast. She launched a spectacular attack against Ron and Harry.

Ron had no idea what happened to him. One minute he was relaxing in the shade, giving his sore muscles a chance to relax. The very next second, he was hit in the face with a freezing blast of water. The look on his face made Hermione laugh loudly. Ginny advanced forward and got Harry in the back with a stream of water. She continued to spray them until they were thoroughly soaked. She released the hose and turned to stop the flow of water, but Harry was too fast. She didn’t have time to react when Harry lunged at her. He grabbed her wrist with one hand and the hose with the other. He turned the hose on Hermione, who had ventured away from the front stoop and left herself vulnerable. The he handed the hose over to Ron and released Ginny’s wrist. She took off before Ron could get her wet, and it took him several trips around the front garden before he could catch her.

Once everyone was cooled off, Hermione attached the sprinkler head to the hose and they all took turns running through the wall of water.

“This is the way life should be,” thought Harry. He glanced at Ginny. “I wonder if this is her idea of the way life should be too.” She walked over to him and melted into his arms. It still amazed him, when Ginny would answer his unspoken thoughts.

“Actually, I was thinking about how wonderful it is to see you laugh again,” she said.

“There hasn’t been much to laugh about lately,” he replied seriously.

They both stood together with their arms intertwined. Ginny head rested on Harry’s chest and the last drops of water dripped from the ends of her hair onto his arm. They watched Hermione and Ron, lying on the towels, enjoying the beautiful day.

Not realizing that they were being watched, Ron and Hermione lay on their sides facing each other. Ron was idly running his fingers through Hermione’s damp hair.

Quietly, Harry and Ginny made their way to the house, careful not to disturb the special moment between Ron and Hermione. Once inside the house, they closed the door and flashed upstairs to change their clothes.

There was no embarrassment as both Harry and Ginny stripped out of their wet clothes. Harry turned away, out of respect, when Ginny began to remove her undergarments. Harry quickly dropped his own and pulled on clean, dry shorts. He felt a cool hand on his bare back as he was tugging his shirt over his head. He froze in place. Without removing her hand from his skin, she helped him pull it on the rest of the way. Ginny spun him around to face her. She stood before him in a sexy lace camisole and shorts.

Harry could not tear his eyes from her creamy skin. “It’s flawless,” he thought, “even her freckles are perfect.” He imagined that someday he would be able to count every one of those freckles. He ran his hands lightly along her arms, creating goose bumps where he touched her.

Ginny gasped as Harry pulled her close and rubbed his fingers slowly across her lower back. As she leaned into him to kiss him, she heard the gentle lullaby of his breathing. He held perfectly still as the creature in his chest roared to life.

She grinned wickedly as his breathing grew ragged. She slid her hands under his shirt and trailed them across his stomach. He nearly lifted her off her feet as he kissed her passionately. She leaned into him even further and allowed him to support her entire weight. Her knees buckled as Harry deepened the kiss. Their passion seemed to lift them off the ground.

Harry broke apart from Ginny, but continued to hold her close.

“It feels like we are floating,” he mumbled into the corner of Ginny’s mouth.

“Is this what it feels like to fly?” she asked.

“What does it feel like when you shimmer as a unicorn?” Harry responded to her question with one of his own.

“It feels like the first time you kissed me. My heart races…my stomach is a nervous knot. I can feel the slightest breeze against my skin.” She moved his hand until it rested over her heart. “When you hold me, my heart flutters,” she whispered. “ Is that how it feels for you?”

“Yes,” Harry whispered. “That is exactly how it feels for me. I couldn’t imagine explaining it any other way.” Harry eased Ginny back onto her feet and pulled away from her. “We should get Ron and Hermione and join Aunt Petunia for supper,” he suggested gently. Harry watched her intently as she pulled on a shirt to cover the camisole.

Hermione and Ron had not moved since Harry and Ginny left the garden. The two had been looking into each other’s eyes for so long that Ron’s arm had fallen asleep from lying on his side. He rolled onto his back and jokingly pulled Hermione over on top of him.

Hermione leapt up and looked scandalized. She pursed her lips and glared at Ron. Enough time passed with her glaring at him that he began to get uncomfortable. He regretted goofing around with her. “Maybe she isn’t ready for physical intimacy yet,” Ron though. “I hope I didn’t scare her.”

Hermione, who could no longer retain her composure, burst out laughing at Ron’s concerned expression. She pounced on his stomach and began to tickle him mercilessly. His arms flailed about, coming dangerously close to hitting her face. She grabbed his wrists and pinned them behind his head to avoid getting hit. He protested loudly at the situation. Taking pity on him, she began planting tiny kisses softly all over his face. He took advantage of her moment of loving weakness to knock her arms out from underneath her. Since she had most of her weight balanced on her arms, she crashed down onto his chest. That was how Harry and Ginny found them a short while later.

Hermione grabbed the towels and Ginny grabbed the lemonade. Harry showed Ron how to wind the garden hose back into its container. They headed into the house, disappointed to be leaving the carefree beauty of the afternoon.

Hermione and Ginny sat down at the kitchen table with Aunt Petunia after Harry and Ron insisted on serving them. Harry pretended that he was a waiter and Ron pretended that he was a house elf.

“A freed house elf,” he assured Hermione.

Ron served Hermione and bowed deeply before returning to the kitchen. Harry served his Aunt and bowed just as Ron had done. He met Ron at the kitchen door. He took Ginny’s food, while Ron brought his and Hermione’s food to the table. Harry placed Ginny’s food in front of her while Ron sat down in his seat next to Hermione. Harry saw that everyone had been served. He curtsied deeply to Ginny and kissed her hand before he went to his seat. Ginny was giggling madly at his playfulness.

“I think it would be appropriate to say something before we eat,” Petunia said somberly.

“I quite agree,” said Harry happily, “I know just the words.”

He glanced around the table. He saw that Hermione and Ron looked a little confused, but Ginny seemed to have caught on to his idea. He figured that Ron and Hermione would catch on quickly and smiled. “Nitwit,” Harry said, grinning.

“Blubber,” Ginny continued. Harry noticed that a huge smile had lit up Hermione’s face and Ron looked as though he might snort from the effort of containing his laughter.

“Oddment,” snorted Ron, on the verge of laughing hysterically.

“Tweak,” shouted Hermione, before they all bust into peals of laughter.

Petunia simply stared at them in confusion. Then she told them exactly what she thought of their behavior at the supper table. “I am glad to see that you are enjoying yourselves,” she said, smiling broadly. “Dig in.”

They all agreed. This was the happiest any of them could remember being since the beginning of their friendship. Their laughter and happiness were infectious. Petunia felt her heart lighten and soon found herself joining in the conversation.

The rest of the time at Privet Drive was uneventful. The foursome spent the entire time together. There were a few times when Harry disappeared to the hedge for a few hours and no one knew where he had gone. Ginny knew that he had gone somewhere to deal with issues from his past. She explained to Ron and Hermione that nothing was wrong or she would be able to sense it. He was just dealing with his past. Harry had not told her the secret, but she could sense that he needed to be alone to cope with what he was experiencing. Confronting him about where he was going would only create a rift between them. “I trust him,” she thought, “he will tell me when he is ready.”

The time passed quickly and before they knew it, it was time to leave for the Burrow. The ladies did the packing this time. Hermione still wondered what Ron had seen when he had packed her belongings the last time. Ginny said she was completely unconcerned about Harry having seen her undergarments, but she offered to help Hermione anyway.

They finished packing about ten minutes before Professor Lupin was scheduled to pick them up. Harry, Ginny, and Petunia were sitting on the sofa in the living room when their escort arrived. Ron and Hermione, who had been sitting in the overstuffed chair across from the sofa, saw them first.

Luna wandered into the living room, followed by Neville, Remus and Tonks.

“Oh. Here they are, Professor,” Luna said dreamily.

Harry shot a questioning look at Professor Lupin.

“They volunteered to come get you. They were heading to the Burrow for the wedding anyway, so they thought they should tag along to help out,” he offered, looking upset.

“He couldn’t stop us, Harry,” Neville said defiantly.

“We don’t have time to argue amongst ourselves. It’s done,” Tonks interjected.

She waived her wand and the trunks were sent to the Burrow. She was giving instructions about the group apparation when Harry walked away. He hugged his Aunt tightly.

“Thank you,” he said softly. “Thank you for keeping it safe for me all these years.”

“You are welcome,” she replied with tears in her eyes. “I hope that I will see you again soon.”

“You will,” Harry assured her as he walked back to the group.

Tonks repeated the instructions once again for Harry’s benefit.

“Everyone needs to hold hands. We are going to be apparating to the paddock just outside of the immediate grounds of the Burrow. We will have to walk to the house from there. Everyone should be in bed, and the remaining guests will be arriving tomorrow afternoon for the festivities. You will need to get a good nights rest.” She turned to Remus and nodded.

“Is everyone ready?” he asked. “Are there any problems or questions before we leave? Yes, Ron?”

“Do I really have to hold Harry’s hand?” Ron whined. “Can’t I hold hands with someone who is a little bit cute?”

Everyone laughed at Ron’s complaint, which covered up Harry asking Professor Lupin if this would be like side-along apparation. Professor Lupin had nodded and Harry’s stomach sank. “I hate this feeling,” he thought.

Everyone held hands and prepared to apparate. Remus and Tonks were guiding the group to the paddock where they would be hidden from prying eyes. Harry felt the uncomfortable pull and he closed his eyes as the nausea began to rise. He felt a great weight hit his chest and he was knocked to the ground. He opened his eyes to see what had caused his fall and found himself nose to nose with Ginny.

“It had to be someone cute who landed on me,” he whined as he tried to sit up and rest his weight on his elbows. “Why couldn’t it have been Ron or Neville?” He gave a huge, theatrical sigh and pretended to shove Ginny off his chest. He saw the sparkle in her eyes as she allowed her elbows to buckle. The added weight sent Harry straight back to the ground. Everyone was trying not to laugh at Harry. Ginny smirked at him before she offered her hand to help him up. Once Harry was up, he turned to help Neville. Ginny grabbed Luna’s hand and hauled her to her feet.

Everyone turned to see what the commotion was and they heard both Remus and Tonks cracking up. Harry was confused at the sight before him. Hermione was on the ground, sprawled out on her stomach. Ron was tangled around her, his legs twitching with embarrassment and irritation. One of his arms was trapped under Hermione’s body and the other was trapped under the straps of her layered top. It didn’t look like he was able to move. Hermione couldn’t move because Ron was on top of her and her feet were caught in the material of Ron’s pants.

The situation, in itself, was funny. It didn’t seem to warrant the reaction that Remus and Tonks had though. Tonks was now doubled over and laughing so hard she was crying. Harry walked closer to her to ask what was so funny. “I doubt I will be able to get an answer from her,” he thought, “she can hardly breathe.” He had taken no more than three steps when he almost fell over. He saw Hermione and Ron’s predicament from another angle and understood why Tonks was so humored.

Ron’s hand, which Harry knew was trapped under a part of Hermione’s shirt, was somehow trapped under both layers and pressed against her in a very compromising way. The more Ron struggled to free himself, the more his hand rubbed against her. Hermione looked mortified. Harry stood there for a moment, enjoying Ron’s chagrin. Ginny, who had followed Harry when he walked toward Tonks, hurried forward to help untangle her friend and brother. Luna also hurried forward to help Ginny.

Finally, after many highly comical moments, they got them separated and standing upright. Ginny was nursing a sore cheek and Luna was rubbing her wrist. Ginny was a bit peeved that Ron had hit her with his elbow as she tried to separate him and Hermione. “Stupid git, You had to pin Luna’s wrist under your knee. She was just trying to help,” Ginny thought bitterly. Once everyone had calmed down and Hermione had returned to her normal color, they started the trek to the Burrow.

Although the group had left Privet Drive shortly after eight, by the time the front door of the Burrow was in sight it was almost ten. It had taken them nearly an hour to settle down from the hysteria and separate Ron and Hermione once they had arrived at the paddock. The walk from the paddock, which would normally have only taken fifteen minutes, took nearly forty-five minutes. This was due, in great part, to Neville’s fascination with every plant along the way. He insisted on stopping and identifying them. “We’re never going to get to the house,” thought Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny in unison.

Mrs. Weasley had been pacing back and forth in front of the door for hours. When she saw them approach, her shoulders straightened as if an enormous weight had been lifted from them. Her eyes welled up with tears as she caught her youngest children in a crushing hug, as only a mother can do. Her tears began to flow freely as she muttered incoherently about the ridiculousness of the prophecy.

Ron was the one to pull away from his mother’s embrace. He left her arms long enough to pull Harry and Hermione forward to be included in the hug. He needed them to feel the warmth and safety his mother provided her children. Mrs. Weasley was temporarily baffled, until she saw Ron holding Hermione’s hand.

“Mum, Harry and Hermione are part of our family now,” Ginny announced defiantly, but happily.

“Well of course they are, dear. They have always been a part of our family,” Mrs. Weasley replied immediately.

A clouded look came over Mrs. Weasley’s face. She had noted Ginny’s tone and she was considering Ginny’s choice of words very carefully. Harry pulled Ginny close, expecting that he would bear the burden of explaining the situation that could not be explained. He didn’t feel comfortable lying to the woman he considered to be his second mom. He wished desperately for some sort of miracle to save him from Mrs. Weasley’s wrath. Ginny rested her free hand on Harry’s arm and his anxiety subsided. He took a deep breath and prepared himself to head off a barrage of questions. He was saved by the most perfectly matched miracles there ever were, Fred and George.

They appeared right where Mrs. Weasley was standing, which might not have been such a problem had she not been currently occupying that space. As a result, she was thrown to the ground. Harry and Ginny were close enough that they were thrown to the side in the ruckus. When Harry finally regained his bearings, he saw a crumpled Mrs. Weasley on the ground, with a twin sitting on each side of her.

“Sorry, Mum,” began Fred.

…we had no idea” George continued.

“…that our new invention would work so well. It’s perfectly accurate, a little too close for comfort though,” they said together.

“What invention?” Mrs. Weasley huffed as she tried to get off the ground. “What are you two fooling around with now?”

“Mum, it’s really ingenious,” said George.

“…all you need is a photo,” Fred said.

“…a wizarding photo, of course,” George added importantly.

“Of course. And a bottle of our potion,” Fred continued, acknowledging his brother’s important bit of information.

“…which we’ll sell in a handy kit, with complete instructions,” George announced.

“…and you’ve got your own,” Fred said excitedly.

“…Rendezvous Relic,” they shouted.

“How does it work?” Harry asked them.

“It takes you directly to the person in the photo,” George answered.

“No matter where they are,” Fred interjected.

“No more looking through fireplaces, getting sooty. No more apparating until you’re dizzy. One picture, one potion,” George declared

“…a few choice words,” Fred interrupted.

“…and you can find anyone, anywhere, anytime. To be used with discretion,” George persisted.

It sounded like an advertisement straight out of the Quibbler. So Harry wasn’t surprised at the next declaration.

“At least, that’s what we’ll advertise it as,” Fred said seriously. “Can you imagine how much time it will save?”

“That is really impressive magic,” Hermione praised as she commended them on a job well done. “How are you going to keep people from copying your potion and making their own version?” she asked in a scholarly manner.

“I am so glad you asked, Hermione,” Fred joked.

“You are the one who gave us the idea,” George cracked. They seemed to think that it was incredibly funny that Hermione had asked that question.

“How?” Hermione asked, wondering what she was getting herself into.

Fred and George exchanged a look before turning to glance at their mom. Before continuing, Fred did a little bow and waved George into the spotlight.

“I’m sure that none of us have forgotten the nasty incident in Slughorn’s office. Who would have thought that Ron being accidentally poisoned could be so lucrative? I believe that Harry shoved a bezoar down our ickle Ronniekins throat and saved his life. Prior to this unfortunate incident, our little brother had been writing us. He mentioned something about the fair Hermione. He told us about your, how did he put it, mild annoyance, during a certain potions class. Ron’s letter mentioned that he and Harry were having a hard time separating the ingredients of the poison they were working on. Not being able to separate the ingredients gave us a fantastic idea.” George nodded at Fred, who could barely keep himself quiet during his brother’s speech.

“You see, Hermione, we have discovered a spell that prevents our customers from separating the ingredients of our potion. It took us while to get the wording right, but it was well worth the effort. If you attempt to separate the ingredients, it will give you a different combination each and every time you try. In fact, it gives you the ingredient list for real potions.” Fred grinned wickedly and looked at George.

“I can’t wait until someone tries to copy one of the variants of our potion,” he said, smiling devilishly. “Their beard would put the one that Dumbledore’s age line gave us to shame. In fact, I want to see what happens when they try to remove the beard.” He was practically cackling by the time he finished.

Hermione looked horrified. Her hard work and studying were being used for a completely frivolous purpose, and it might harm people, she thought. Harry and Ginny burst out laughing at the look on Hermione’s face. Neville and Luna, who had been hanging back, watching the family moment with Remus and Tonks, both chuckled at Hermione’s indignation.

“I have one final trip to make before the wedding tomorrow,” Professor Lupin said, interrupting the moment of fun.

“I should probably go with him,” Tonks said sheepishly, as the ends of her hair began to take on a greenish hue.

They vanished and Molly rounded on the Twins. “While I am happy to see you, why are you here so early?” she asked them. “What are they up to now, it had better not be a way to disrupt the wedding,” she contemplated.

“Mum, don’t be so dramatic,” Fred said.

“We have business to discuss with our primary investor,” George said smartly.

“Absolutely not,” she thundered at them. “We have an important day tomorrow. I don’t want any trouble from either of you.”

Molly ushered everyone into the house and didn’t allow them to dawdle. She sent them straight to bed so they would have a chance to be well rested. She knew that they would not be going to sleep immediately, but she hoped that they would settle down before light broke.

Ron, Harry and Neville headed up to Ron’s bedroom. Neville, who had never seen the inside of the Weasley house, let alone Ron’s bedroom, cringed when he walked through the door. The sight of every inch of the walls adorned with fiery orange posters and the various other items in the room that matched was too much for Neville. He just stood in the doorway, his mouth hanging open in disbelief. Harry noticed Neville trying to catch his eye. He shrugged in response to the questioning look that Neville gave him. “Who knows why Ron likes them so much,” he pondered.

Noticing Neville’s look, Ron began a detailed explanation of the statistics of very player on the Chudley Cannons. Harry finally convinced Ron to stop after he had give Neville the rundown on the current players and had started on the previous team members. Neville’s eyes were glazed over, and Harry was worried that he might end up in St. Mungo’s, next to his parents after Ron’s rave. “It’s enough to make anyone batty,” he thought.

Hermione and Ginny led Luna up the stairs to Ginny’s room. The three of them crashed on to the bed in a heap. Unlike the guys, they curled up and were asleep shortly.

The Twins had waited until last to go up the stairs, hoping to talk with their Mum alone.

“Hey, Mum,” Fred said quietly

When she didn’t respond, George tried a little louder.

“Mum, can we talk to you,” he said in a stage whisper.

“What?” she asked distractedly.

“We need to talk to you,” George said softly.

“…about Percy…in private,” Fred whispered.

Molly ushered them up the stairs rapidly. She hadn’t heard from Percy since Christmas. She hadn’t had the chance to talk to him at Dumbledore’s funeral. She knew in her heart that Percy would be able to admit his mistake and return to his family. “Some day,” she thought, “some day he will be a man. I just hope it’s not too late,” she mused.

She rounded on the Twins as soon as Fred closed the door.

“Calm down, Mum,” George complained.

“What do you know about Percy?” she demanded urgently.

“We don’t know anything,” Fred explained smoothly.

Mrs. Weasley began to get upset and she was shaking.

“We saw him at Diagon Alley,” George corrected quickly, hoping to avert a disaster.

“He was with Penelope Clearwater,” Fred announced.

“We saw them holding hands,” George snorted, pretending to gag.

“…and, he called her Penny. Honestly, Mum, he seemed just fine,” Fred stammered, trying to comfort her.

The Twins glanced at each other as Mrs. Weasley left the room. She had seemed reassured by their news.

“Do you think she suspects anything?” Fred quizzed his twin.

“Do you think we should have told her?” George countered.

“No. She’ll find out soon enough,” George answered.

“Tomorrow should be interesting,” they proclaimed together quietly.

Everyone in the house was still asleep. Even the nervous bride and the anxious mother-of-the-groom had slept peacefully. After awakening, Mrs. Weasley made her way down to the kitchen where an owl was patiently waiting for someone to relieve him of his letter. She opened the letter at once. “I would recognize Percy’s handwriting anywhere,” she told the empty kitchen. She read the first line and started to shake.

A hysterical scream ripped through the many levels of the Weasley house. Harry and Ron, suddenly awake and very alert, tore out of their room and bounded down the stairs. They knew that the scream had come from Mrs. Weasley, who would be in the kitchen making breakfast for everyone. Ginny and Hermione met them on the landing and they all rushed toward the kitchen. Harry was panicking. “It can’t be a Death Eater attack, not today.”

Mrs. Weasley stood in the kitchen, her arm propped against the counter to hold herself steady. She stood in between the two kitchen sinks, her arm on the center divider. A soapy pot was banging against her arm, trying to get into the sink where the clean water was running. She stood there with a piece of parchment in her hand, wailing loudly.

Ginny noticed that Fred and George hung back when they arrived in the kitchen. “You know what this is about,” she hissed at them out of the corner of her mouth. She didn’t have time to wait for an answer. She pulled Harry out of the line of fire just as a dirty frying pan went sailing by his head. Next came a clean, but dripping wet saucepan. Soon there were no more large objects to hurl across the room. Mrs. Weasley looked around frantically, not finding anything to throw.

“He’s not coming to the wedding. He married her,” she shouted. Even over the commotion in the room, she could be heard.

“She’s louder than that howler she sent me,” judged Ron.

“He didn’t even tell us they were dating. Penelope, I don’t know her. I’ve never met her family. Now they’re married and she’s pregnant.” Her voice broke and she bawled hysterically.

Hermione and Ron shrank back. Mr. Weasley appeared and pushed through the crowd to comfort his wife. Everything calmed down considerably after a few tense, whispered words. Mrs. Weasley wiped her eyes on her apron and without a word, began to prepare breakfast.

The morning and early afternoon passed quickly. The atmosphere was light and even Mrs. Weasley seemed to have recovered from the drama of the letter. No one, not even Neville and Luna were spared from the mind numbing work. The ladies were designated to remain in the house and help Mrs. Weasley. The guys were to do the outside work with Mr. Weasley.

Ginny, Hermione, and Luna helped Mrs. Weasley cook, clean, and prepare decorations. The made enough food to serve an army of giants. There were traditional dishes and some inventive new ones too. After they had put the food in the oven to cook, they started on the decorations that the guys would hang up outside. They strung bells on wire so fine that it appeared invisible from a distance. The ladies used a sticking charm to decorate bells with purple flowers. The purple flowers hung down the bells at various lengths. Using the same charm, they were able to stick tiny white flowers together to form long strands, which would be hung between the bells. Ginny couldn’t wait to see what it looked like when they were hung in the tent. When they were finished with the decorations, Mrs. Weasley sent them outside to help finish decorating while she cleaned the house quickly.

Ron and Harry helped Mr. Weasley build the tent. He refused to conjure a tent that was already put together. Neville stared in amazement at the lack of coordination of Mr. Weasley as he hit himself in the foot with the hammer for the third time. Once the tent was set up under the arched branches of the magnolia tree, Mr. Weasley conjured chairs for them to set up.

Then he conjured an odd looking piece of furniture. It looks like that thing that Mrs. Figg had at the end of her chair, Harry thought, an ottoman or something like that. He wrinkled his nose at the thought of Mrs. Figg’s house full of cats. He realized the thing at Mrs. Figg’s house had one circle, while this one has two. The ladies arrived to show Ron, Neville, and Harry the decorations they had made.

Harry and Ron, starting at the front of the tent levitated the bells and flowery strands along the interior of the tent. They went along each of the top seams and down the middle of the tent. When they had finished, Ginny and Hermione clapped. Luna just wandered out to examine the magnolia tree.

“I don’t think that she is very excited about this sort of thing,” Neville explained apologetically. He wandered outside to keep her company. “I can’t stand the thought of her being alone,” he admitted to himself.

Soon it was time to clean up. Everyone made their way back into the house. Ron spent the whole trip grumbling to Harry about touching the Clabberts.

“They are so disgusting,” Ron complained. “They look like a cross between a monkey and a frog. That part that glows is called a pustule. What kind of a nutter wants to use a glowing pustule to decorate their wedding?”

Harry just smiled and allowed Ron to finish his rant. The tree was in full bloom, which made it difficult for them to convince the Clabberts to remain where they had been placed. Every time they convinced one to stay in the formation that Mr. Weasley had laid out, another would move. Finally, with the threat of a sticking charm, they convinced them all to stay put. Once the decorating was complete, everyone went to get ready for the service.

The house was chaos. Someone was pounding on the bathroom door as the shower was running. Robes were lost in the shuffle of unpacking. People were screeching about lost items. Robes were found, hair brushed, curls set, and makeup applied carefully. It was worth the turmoil when they all passed Mrs. Weasley’s strict inspection.


Mrs. Weasley remained behind to escort Fleur from the house to the tent. Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, Fred, George, and Mr. Weasley made their way to the tent. They were all amazed at the transformation in the garden. The Clabberts glowed purple in the dying light of the evening. The entire tent appeared to be surrounded by a purple haze. The material of the tent was sheer, and allowed the light of the Clabberts through. The strands of flowers danced merrily on the small breeze causing the bells to ring softly.

Ron and Hermione walked toward the chairs that they had arranged. Ron’s jaw dropped and Hermione gasped. When they set them, they had been small hard, plastic chairs. Ron had even made a comment to Harry about the length of the ceremony.

“I hope this thing doesn’t last too long,” Ron said, staring at the uncomfortable looking plastic chairs.

“They look fine to me,” Harry said as he sat in the nearest chair. “Ouch. All right, I agree. I hope the ceremony is less than five minutes long.” He was rubbing his tailbone where the plastic back of the chair had pressed against him.


Now, as Hermione and Ron stood before them, they were large and cushioned. Each chair had a name in intricate gold writing that blazed in the little sunlight that was left in the sky. Hermione walked down the first row looking for her name. She reached the end and started down the second row. She quickly found her name. To her delight, she was seated in between Ron and Harry. Ginny was directly to the left of Harry. She noticed that the last two seat were not for Neville and Luna, but Fred and George. Hermione noticed that Neville and Luna’s seats were in the third row. Ron sat down in his chair, and Hermione beckoned Ginny over to see the seating. Harry followed shortly after. They sat, chatting comfortable, waiting for the other guests to arrive.

Charlie was the first to arrive, followed immediately by Tonks and Professor Lupin. They made their way to their seats. Charlie’s seat was in the first row, while Professor Lupin and Tonks were seated in the third row. Fred and George wandered over to greet the new arrivals and took their seats. Mr. Weasley, Fleur’s mother and sister appeared and took their seats. The last guests to arrive were Professor McGonagall and Hagrid.

“They came straight from Hogwarts, I suspect,” Hermione told Harry. “They are trying to find a way to keep Hogwarts open next term.”

“If anyone can find a way, its Professor McGonagall,” Harry said.

Bill arrived at the front of the tent to the left of the ottoman-like piece of furniture in front of the chairs. He stood facing the guests, looking very uncomfortable in his dress robes. His robes were blacker than the darkest night. They had short sleeves and hung only to his ankles. He stood barefoot, tapping his foot nervously.

Harry noticed that the only place for Bill and Fleur to sit was on that round thing. There were two round sections, separated by another circular void. It hovered in midair. “It’s magic,” Harry thought.

“Well, of course it is,” said Ginny, smiling.

“Hey, Mate,” Ron asked, “you confused?”

“A little,” Harry admitted. He was more amazed that Ron had picked up on his thought. He and Ginny had been able to communicate that way for a while, but he had not been able to communicate telepathically with Ron or Hermione.

“They don’t sit, Harry,” Hermione chimed in. “They kneel, facing each other. It’s called an aralus. It is only used for weddings.”

All of the conversation stopped when Mrs. Weasley appeared in the front row, next to her husband. She turned to Fleur’s mother and smiled shakily. Harry figured that meant that everything was about to start.

Fleur appeared across from Bill, looking resplendent in her flowing white robes. Her silvery hair cascaded over her bare shoulders and down her back. The strands of hair that framed her face were pulled back and held in place with the goblin-made tiara from Great Auntie Muriel. Her robes sparkled with the faintest movement she made. She was also barefoot, which Harry thought to be a little odd.

Bill and Fleur faced each other, standing across the aralus, and entwined their hands. A Ministry Official appeared in front of the couple.

“Are you prepared to begin?” he asked.

“We are,” Bill replied.

“I understand that you are interested in the family ceremony. Is that correct?” he asked as he doubled checked the schedule that had appeared in his hand.

“Yes,” Fleur responded happily, “zat is what we weesh.”

“Please kneel,” he instructed.

Fleur kneeled first, placing herself on the aralus carefully to avoid wrinkling her breathtaking robes. Bill kneeled across from her clumsily. He was still a little uncoordinated after his stay at St. Mungo’s.

“When you are ready,” the Official told them.

Bill looked deeply into Fleur’s eyes. She smiled at him, bewitching his heart. They linked their hands according to the Ministry Official’s instructions. Bill captured Fleur’s right hand between his palms and then Fleur pressed the palm of her left had against the back of Bill’s right hand. When their hands were in place, there was a faint glow around the couple. Together they spoke the words of their unbreakable marriage vows.

“Make of our hands, one hand.” A ring of light encircled their hands. It appeared tilted to the left as it rotated around their hands.

“Make of our hearts, one heart.” A second ring of light encircled their hands. This one appeared to be tilted to the right as it also rotated around their hands.

“Make of our lives, one life.” A third ring of light encircled their hands. This one rotated around their hands like the Prime Meridian on a Muggle globe.

“Now it begins. Now we start. One hand. One Heart. Even death won’t part us now.” The bands expanded to form a glowing sphere. It glowed brightly in the silence.

After a few long seconds, the light faded. There was an exquisite gold bracelet on Fleur’s left wrist. Bill had a hardy, black, leather wrist cuff on his left wrist. The Ministry Official took note of their wrists, nodded and vanished.

Fleur squealed with excitement and launched herself at Bill. He caught her in his outstretched arms. He held her tight, crushing the material of her robes and kissed her heartily. Fleur was lost in the kiss, completely oblivious to the crowd cheering, her new family, or her beautiful robes being creased into oblivion.

They broke apart and turned to face the small crowd before them. “They were few in number,” Bill thought, “but they could hardly be considered small with Hagrid there.” “I would like to present my wife, Fleur Weasley,” he stated proudly.

Everyone looked at Fleur, waiting for her reaction. “Vere is ze party?” Fleur asked with a twinkle in her eyes.

Bill and Fleur disappeared back to the house to change into their party clothes. While they were gone, Mr. Weasley helped his wife magic the food and party supplies to the tent. He banished the chairs and conjured a wooden dance floor.

Harry and Ginny, holding hands and goofing around, allowed their family to see their affection as they helped get the party ready. Hermione and Ron were more conservative with their display of emotions. Instead of holding hands, they spent the entire time sending furtive glances at each other in a very conspicuous manner. Fred and George spent the time trying to separate Harry and Ginny so they could talk with Harry. As a result, Neville and Luna ended up doing most of the work. Neither of them seemed very upset, and they remained in close contact while they worked. Luna hummed dreamily and Neville smiled broadly every time their work brought them to the same place.

The music started. Bill and Fleur returned just in time for the first dance. After the first song was over, Fleur and Bill invited everyone to join them on the dance floor. Harry led Ginny out onto the dance floor and wrapped his arms around her. He noticed that Ron and Neville had done the same. The three couples drifted around the dance floor, each lost in the eyes of their partner. The music changed and a faster song was playing when Harry saw Mrs. Weasley approaching where he and Ginny were dancing. He was looking for an escape since Mrs. Weasley did not look too happy. Fred and George appeared in the nick of time and whisked him off.

“We’ll bring him back, Ginny,” Fred yelled.

“We promise,” George added.

“We just can’t guarantee he’ll be whole,” Fred teased.

They ducked away from the crowd and headed to an area where they could talk without being overheard.

“Harry, as our first,” Fred began

“…and most important,” George added.

“…investor, we want you to see our latest product,” Fred finished.

“Suit up,” George said, his eyes gleaming with pride. He motioned to a set of Quidditch robes. There were three, one for each of them. He shrugged and pulled on the smallest of the robes. George and Fred pulled theirs on quickly and conjured the box of Quidditch balls. They handed Harry the quaffle and the golden snitch. They each released a bludger and grabbed their bats. Harry was livid.

“What do you two think you are doing?” he yelled. “You are going to ruin this day. You know those bludgers are going to destroy all of the hard work we have done today.” He waited for an answer impatiently.

“Temper, temper,” George said, infuriating Harry further.

“That’s the point Harry,” Fred said. He began to explain that they needed a way to relieve their stress after a long day’s work at the shop. “Living in Diagon Alley does not make it easy to play Quidditch,” he said. “We found a way to play without disturbing our fellow wizards or exposing out magic to Muggles.”

“It’s all in the robes, Harry,” George announced mysteriously.

They each hopped on a broom and took off into the sky. Harry followed them reluctantly, trusting their magic. He tossed the quaffle to Fred, who caught it and sent it to George. They passed it back and forth for a while before Fred told him to let the snitch go. Harry soared and dived with ease, chasing after the snitch. It seemed like it had only been minutes when the twins waved him back to the ground.

“You see, Harry,” Fred explained, “everything is invisible.”

“The balls only respond to the people wearing the specially designed robes,” George said, “There is no way they could hit someone who wasn’t playing.”

“There’s no way for anyone to know that you were playing Quidditch,” Harry said excitedly. “You could play right above the party and no one would know. This is the best thing you guys have designed.”

“What about our Rendezvous Relic?” Fred asked, pretending that Harry hurt his feelings.

“That is nothing,” Harry responded, forgetting to finish his whole sentence in his excitement.

“Nothing?” spluttered George.

“Nothing compared to your InvisiQuidditch,” Harry amended quickly.

“That’s brilliant,” Fred and George chimed together. “That’s what we’ll call it. InvisiQuidditch. Get yours now. Play tonight, enjoy life.”

Realizing that they had been gone too long, Harry and the Twins grudgingly headed back to the party. He noticed that it was much later than he thought and most of the guests had gone home. They arrived at the tent in time to see Ginny and Mrs. Weasley square off in the middle of the dance floor.

“It is not appropriate,” Mrs. Weasley thundered. “I don’t care what happened at Harry’s Aunt’s house. You and Harry cannot spend the night alone. It doesn’t matter if Ron and Hermione are there. They are not adults. I don’t approve of them spending the night together either. You need an adult there with you.”

Ginny, whose body had stiffened at her mother’s words, began to vibrate with her anger. Her face paled and her eyes blazed. “I am going,” she hissed in a deadly voice. “There is nothing you can do to stop me. I have already explained the situation to you. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I are leaving tonight. We will return when our task is done.”

Harry saw Hermione and Ron standing off to the side, looking very concerned. Ron nodded at him and Harry realized that it might be a good time to step in, since Ginny was now beginning to hover an inch off the ground. He stepped forward, stood by Ginny’s side and touched her hand. It took all of his will power not to transform into his Phoenix form. Harry could feel that she was close to transforming herself. The power that she was exuding was intense. All of her anger was concentrated on her mother. “I have to find a way to stop this,” he panicked. He stepped in front of her, faced her, and touched his lips tenderly to her forehead. He felt the energy leave her.

“Mrs. Weasley,” he began shakily. Ginny’s awesome display of power was worrying him. “I am sorry that I cannot explain more. You have to trust me. You have to trust us. You have to trust the people that told you why we are doing this. We have to do this.” He paused, considering his words carefully before continuing. “Please understand that I love Ginny. I love Ron and Hermione as well. They have to come with me because I need them. I am sorry that it can be no other way.” He was on the verge of tears when he finished. “I don’t want to take her children into the path of evil”, he thought. “Can’t she understand that?” He looked at Ginny and nodded at Ron and Hermione. They all bid farewell to Bill and Fleur, who stood transfixed by Ginny’s display. Fred and George were the only ones who did not seem awed by the situation. Harry grinned at the twins, grabbed Ginny’s hand and walked to the house. Hermione and Ron followed them, only pausing to glance at Mrs. Weasley before walking quickly to catch up to Harry and Ginny.

Mrs. Weasley stood in the middle of the tent. She thought of only one thing. “Ginny was no longer her baby. She had grown up into an independent woman. When did that happen,” she wondered.


The Wedding Vows that Bill and Fleur use to seal their unbreakable vow are borrowed from the lyrics of a Neil Diamond song: One Hand, One Heart. I chose this song for two reasons. One, first and foremost, I think that the lyrics portray my views on marriage succinctly. Two, Mum had this song sung at her wedding and I have seen how it can touch people, especially two people in love.
Chapter Six: End of the Order Era

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter Six: End of the Order Era

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Six: End of the Order Era


Harry and Ginny reached the house moments before Ron and Hermione. Upon entering the house, Hermione found Ginny and pulled her into a crushing hug. Harry could hear her whispering into Ginny’s ear, but he could not make out what they were saying. Ginny’s eyes were completely bloodshot. Although there had not been one tear shed, she looked to be on the verge of hysteria. She nodded bravely at Hermione and smiled weakly at Harry

“I’m sorry,” she apologized simply.

“So am I. I shouldn’t have left you alone. I hate to see you upset,” he replied quietly.

“Did you mean what you said?” she asked him, her tears threatening to cascade down her cheeks.

“Yes, I meant every word,” Harry spoke clearly, his words ringing with passion.

“Good. I love you too.”

“I hope so,” Harry responded jokingly, sensing that it was the time to lighten the situation. “It would be pretty awful to be bonded to you if you thought I was as annoying as Peeves, or as ugly as Filch for that matter.”

Ginny smiled and the tension ebbed from the room. Harry knew that it was time to start packing the few supplies they would need for their impending trip. He and Ron trudged up the stairs to gather a few essential items. Since they were only going to be gone for a few days, they chose to pack everything into two small duffel bags. It was Ron’s idea, as he thought it would be too cumbersome to carry around a trunk. Harry included his invisibility cloak in the bag that he and Ron were sharing. Harry watched as Ron packed his Chudley Cannon blanket and hat. He put his foot down, however, when Ron tried to pack his Chudley Cannon Fact Encyclopedia. “It’s bad enough that the bag is bright orange, but we don’t need a Chudley Cannon Fact Book,” Harry grumbled. Ron was still sulking as he descended the stairs, carrying the bag, to Ginny’s room where the girls were packing their shared bag.

By the time they reached the room, Ginny and Hermione were resting on the bed with the small, purple duffel bag sitting between them. Harry grabbed their bag and tossed it unceremoniously into the hallway where it landed next to the orange one. They lay there, clashing horribly, until Hermione pulled out her wand and transfigured them. She turned them both into small silver amulets. After conjuring two thick black cords, she threaded the loop at the top of each amulet onto the separate cords. She placed one of the amulets on the pale blue comforter on Ginny’s bed. She beckoned to Harry and placed the smooth cord bearing the Phoenix amulet around his neck, securing it with a complex spell. Harry, Ginny and Ron looked at each other in surprise. None of them knew the spell that Hermione had used.

“Standard Book of Spells, Grade Six, Chapter twenty-seven,” she bragged with a smug look.

She picked up the second amulet, an Eagle, and placed it around Ron’s neck. “So I will be close to your heart the entire trip,” she whispered as she performed her modified version of the sticking charm. She felt his hand brush the exposed skin on her stomach as she reached up to link the ends of the cord.

Ginny smirked, “Ahem, Ahem,” she said in her best Umbridge impersonation. Hermione and Ron broke apart, interrupting the tender moment that was building between them. “Harry, where is our exact destination?”

Harry hesitated before answering. At least a million different responses were running through his head. He was careful to shield the thought of going ‘home,’ away from the other’s reach. Instead, he told them the exact location of their destination. “We are going to number twelve Grimmauld Place,” he told them. He was trying to keep the situation light, and there was no way he was going to be able to do that if he couldn’t control his emotions. He berated himself silently as Hermione, Ginny, and Ron looked at him with great curiosity.

“Right then,” Harry blurted, “is everyone ready to go?”

“We should probably pack some food before we go,” Ron offered helpfully, “just in case we get hungry.”

“You’re always hungry, Ron,” Harry insisted, laughing at his best friend’s offended expression. “I didn’t get a chance to eat at the wedding, so I agree with Ron. We should pack some food for the trip.”

“You might not be so hungry if you hadn’t run off with Fred and George,” Ginny reminded him saucily, “and left us to fend for ourselves.”

“Yeah,” Ron added quickly, “what were you doing?” He looked incredibly jealous that Fred and George would share something with Harry and leave him out. “What did they show you?” he demanded with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

“They were showing me a new idea they have for Quidditch gear,” Harry explained vaguely.

“Did they invent a Golden Snitch that explodes upon contact?” Ginny asked excitedly.

“No,” Harry answered honestly, “they haven’t.” He looked around at their shining faces and decided he’d better give them more information than that. “They have discovered a way to make it possible to play a game of Quidditch wherever and whenever you want.” He grinned at Ron and Ginny. He didn’t think this would be spectacular news to Hermione, but she clapped her hands together in excitement. Harry was surprised at her enthusiastic response.

“When will they be available for people to buy?” she asked.

“I just tried out a prototype,” Harry informed them. “I didn’t get to keep it or anything.”

“You got to try it out?” Ron asked jealously.

“You really got to try it?” Ginny echoed the same trace of the green-eyed monster apparent in her voice.

“Yes,” Harry said as he hung his head in mock shame. “We really should talk about this another time. We still have to pack food and we really have to get out of here before Mrs. Weasley shows up.”

Before departing, they made their way to the kitchen for one last preparatory task. Ron and Harry threw some food into a hamper, while Ginny and Hermione grabbed a few butterbeers for each of them. Hermione transfigured the lot into one more amulet. She secured the Unicorn around Ginny’s neck and attached the ends as she had previously.

“The sticking charm can only be removed by the wand that cast them,” she forewarned Ginny.

Ginny smiled to herself as the weight settled onto her chest comfortably. The position of the necklace gave her a thought and turned to Hermione for an answer. “Hermione, these necklaces are long enough to slip over our heads,” she noted. “What difference does it make if we can’t pull the ends apart?”

“Try it,” Hermione instructed knowingly.

As Ginny attempted to tug the necklace over her head, it shrunk. It got stuck at her nose. It looked like Ginny had a Unicorn dangling from her nose, which now resembled a pig’s snout. She tried to pull it off her nose, but the harder she tugged; the tighter it squeezed her nose. Finally, she gave up. She pulled the necklace down, back to where it belonged. She was grateful for the immediate relief of the pain in her nose. Ginny understood then, that Hermione’s spells were just as powerful as her own angry outbursts. She rubbed the red marks left on her cheeks by the cord as she pondered what that meant. “Hermione’s power is as strong as mine,” she reasoned. “If Hermione and I are this powerful, how powerful are Ron and Harry?” The thought made her quiver with the anticipation of seeing such a display of power.

With their packing completed, Harry left first. Concentrating on finding him, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny disappeared together shortly thereafter.

They appeared on the walkway in front of a vacant lot. Harry instructed everyone to concentrate on the address of the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. Feeling a twinge of sadness, Harry scrunched his eyes closed in an effort to recall the piece of parchment from his fifth year. In his mind, he could hear Moody’s voice as he read the neatly slanted writing.

He stared in amazement as the building began to nudge its way between the two Muggle buildings on either side. The ground rumbled and the street shook, as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny watched in fascination as Black Manor appeared. The old, battered door looked even more decrepit that it had the last time they had been there. The windows still appeared grimy, and the moldy curtains that hung in the windows blocked any view of the inside of the Manor. They approached the front steps and Harry allowed the grief to wash over him. He felt the waves of sadness pound against him as he tapped the door with his wand. The door opened creakily, and they prepared themselves to enter the Manor.

Hermione had been worried about making number twelve Grimmauld Place their first stop. She was concerned that the Order would become aware of their bond, and consequently their new powers. Harry put her doubts to rest.

“Hermione, the Order no longer uses Grimmauld Place as their headquarters,” he informed her.

She looked as if she wanted to ask more questions, but she refrained and kept her mouth closed. Harry was intensely appreciative, since he wasn’t sure how to explain the situation to her, let alone Ginny. How was he to tell them that they had a home, one that they could all share? Ginny and Ron had never known any home other than the Burrow. Hermione had been on many sleepovers before beginning Hogwarts, but had also lived in the same house her whole life. Aside from Hogwarts, none of them had ever been away from home for more than a few nights.

Harry could sense the tension in the room as he asserted his choice. “I don’t want the Manor,” Harry declared. “Keep it. I want you to use it as Headquarters for the Order.”

“Harry, we can’t use it as headquarters,” reported Professor McGonagall.

“Now that Dumbledore is gone,” growled Professor Moody, “we can tell you the last bit of Sirius’ will.”

“I know. I know all about it,” Harry barked impatiently. “I get Black Family Manor. I get everything in it and Kreacher, not that I want him. I don’t want any of it. That’s why I sent Kreacher to Hogwarts to work for Dumbledore. The charms and enchantments that Dumbledore placed are still in effect. The Order can use it.”

“No, Harry,” Lupin corrected gently, “you don’t know everything that was in Sirius’ will. The Order cannot use Grimmauld Place as Headquarters ever again.”

“The will is very clear, Potter,” Professor Moody stated bluntly.

“His will had a specific clause about the Manor in the event of the death of your guardian,” Professor McGonagall informed him.

Harry just shrugged. He had no idea what they were prattling on about.

“When Dumbledore died,” Professor Lupin began slowly, grief still etched into his face, “the clause came into effect.” He looked to Professor McGonagall for reassurance before continuing sadly. “The clause decrees that the Black Family Manor can only be used as a residence. More specifically, it can only be used as your residence, Harry…yours, your family, or your heirs. Sirius wanted to make sure that you had a safe haven should anything happen.”

“Potter, do you understand the power of a magical will?” Professor Moody questioned gruffly. “His will is magically binding. We cannot go against Sirius’ wishes.”

Professor McGonagall launched into an explanation of the different effects this might have at Black Manor. “While this prohibits the Order from using the Manor as the Headquarters, it also prevents the Death Eaters from occupying it,” she explained

Harry’s eyes hardened at the mention of the Death Eaters. Professor Lupin, mistaking the look in Harry’s eyes for disbelief, urged Harry to accept the circumstances. “There’s no denying it, Harry,” Professor Lupin insisted. “Black Family Manor will be your residence. Or it will sit empty and unused.”

“What should I do?” Harry cried in confusion. He turned first to Professor McGonagall, then to Professor Lupin. Getting no response from either of them, he turned to Professor Moody.

“Make a choice, Potter,” he commanded.

“Fine,” Harry retorted snottily, “I will use it as my residence.”

“I would call Kreacher,” Professor McGonagall advised.

“Perhaps Dobby as well,” Professor Lupin added.

“Kreacher, come here,” Harry demanded, not questioning his Professors. “Dobby, if you could come too, that would be great,” Harry softened his tone when he called to Dobby.

Kreacher arrived with a small ‘pop’. “What Master wants now, I wonder,” Kreacher bowed with mock servitude. “Nasty brat.”

A few minutes later, there was still no sign of Dobby.
“What am I suppose to do now?” he wondered. There was no help to be found in Kreacher, who only returned his glance balefully. A sudden ‘pop’ broke the mounting tension.

“Harry Potter,” Dobby exclaimed with enthusiasm. It is so great to see you. Harry Potter called Dobby, are you in need of Dobby’s services?”

“I don’t know Dobby,” Harry replied, feeling like a bit of an idiot. “Professors,” he turned to address Professor McGonagall and Professor Lupin, as they had made the suggestion, “why did I call them?”

“Harry, you have a house now,” Professor Lupin told him seriously. “One that is in total disrepair, to say the very least.” He made a face at Harry that plainly said ‘total disrepair’ was the understatement of the century. “You might want to consider employing a house elf, or two, to fix it up for you,” he suggested, winking at Dobby.

“Dobby would be delighted to work for Harry Potter,” he squeaked. “I will take no money from Harry Potter either.”

“Kreacher will do as Master,” he put a subtle, disgusted emphasis on ‘Master’, “requires.”

“Great,” Harry sighed. “Just what I need; a house decorated by Kreacher,” he grumbled under his breath.

“I believe that we are done here,” Professor McGonagall dismissed the house elves with a wave.

Kreacher bowed quickly and left with a ‘pop’ that resonated with rebellion. Dobby lagged behind once Kreacher was gone. Without warning, he threw himself at Harry’s knees and hugged him tightly. “Dobby knows and understands. Dobby will take good care of Harry Potter and the ones he loves.” His voice was so low that Harry had to strain to catch the final words. Before he could fully comprehend what had been said and respond appropriately, Dobby was gone.

Harry turned to Professor McGonagall. “That’s settled,” he stated with conviction. “Are we done here? I don’t want to be late for the funeral.” Harry’s voice quaked as he turned to leave the Headmistresses office.


Harry took Ginny by the hand and they entered the house together. Ron and Hermione followed closely behind. They were following them so closely that Ron walked straight into Harry, who had paused to take in the splendor of the sitting room. Ron’s inattention had caused a domino effect. Ron hit Harry, who knocked into Ginny, who stumbled and crashed into Hermione. Hermione got the better end of the bargain, as she fell into a cushy chair while everyone else ended up on the floor.

Harry, from the floor, looked around the room in amazement. From previous visits, he knew that the Manor had three levels. Two years ago on one particularly boring day during the holiday break; Sirius had described the layout to him. He did not waste time telling Harry how the Manor was currently laid out. He went into the details of the original layout. He wanted Harry to understand his family’s past.

Sirius sighed and lowered his head as he prepared to tell Harry the intricate layout of the Manor he had formerly loved.

“The Manor has three levels. The first level was the most formal. When you entered the house, the sitting room and library were on your left. The library doubled as a study when my grandfather needed some time alone to contemplate the latest spell he was working on. The laundry room, kitchen and dining rooms were to the right. There were many nights when my grandmother would make me hot cocoa and we would sit around the small table in the kitchen talking. The second level was mainly for guests and their needs. There were two bedrooms with a shared bath, a drawing room, and a potion lab. My grandfather believed that spells would always be more important than potions, so he never set foot inside that room. The third floor was a private suite. Much like the ones that you have at Hogwarts. There would be an enormous bedroom, a sitting room, a bathroom and a closet the size of your bedroom at Privet Drive. My grandmother’s favorite room was the drawing room. Everything she could ever need to create was located in that room. My grandfather spent most of his time in the library, researching new ways to hurt people with spells. He invented the spell that amplifies the common cold. He was always looking for a way to make things worse.”


Sirius’ voice faded into obscurity and Harry found himself yanked back to the present.

Harry took a moment to admire Dobby’s handiwork. “I’m sure that Kreacher didn’t help in here,” he chuckled to himself. Harry saw Ginny nodding in approval. They all slowly got to their feet and wandered further into the room to admire the exquisite artwork. The room looked as if it had been prepared for royalty. The furniture was luxurious and reeked of Galleons. Harry suspected that the artwork on the walls was genuine. He also suspected that it was very valuable. He continued to take in the magnificence of the surroundings, forgetting that he still had to tell Ron, Hermione, and Ginny one last thing about the house. He could sense the look of disbelief on Ron’s face. He turned to face him just in time to catch Hermione elbowing him. Ron closed his mouth abruptly when Hermione’s elbow hit his gut. He had been gaping, bug eyed at the lushness of the sitting room.

“This is ours,” Harry attempted to reassure Ron without alerting Hermione and Ginny. Unfortunately, it was Hermione who responded to his assurance.

“Harry, I know that Ron feels the same way I do. This place is yours. Well, yours and Ginny’s,” she explained. “We are more than a little excited to be able to share it with you temporarily,” she teased.

Ron’s jaw had hit the floor when Hermione had mentioned Ginny’s name. “She gets to stay here and I’m stuck under the ghoul for the rest of my life.” His cheeks flamed with embarrassment at the selfish thought. “She’s right, Mate,” Ron admitted regretfully. “This is all yours.” He noticed Harry’s pathetic look and continued quickly. “Don’t worry about us. Things will work out. We’ll worry about finding a place when this is all over.” Ron trailed off thinking about having a house elf to do the laundry and worrying that he had offended Harry.

Harry completely understood what it was like to see someone with something you wanted. All his life Ron had been placed last, not by choice, but by birth. Since he was the last born boy, he always wore hand-me-downs. He never had anything new of his own until recently. Harry remembered the first time he had met Ron and the corned beef sandwiches. “He will never feel that way again,” Harry vowed. He was trying to think of a solution when it hit him. Harry’s concerned look disappeared and he gave a great shout of joy. “No!” he roared with zeal. “Lupin definitely said,” he sputtered in an effort to get his works out quickly, “that Black Manor must be used as my family’s residence.” He looked at them expectantly, tapping his foot impatiently, waiting for their reaction. “Your enthusiasm overwhelms me,” he cracked, sarcasm dripping from every word. “How quickly you forget. Hermione, I thought you would catch on. Do I need to spell it out for you?”

Ginny looked confused as Hermione’s face lit up. “We are your family. Not just Ginny, Ron and I are too. Ever since…”

“Ginny just said that to Mum so she wouldn’t act like a nutter,” Ron interrupted rudely.

“No, you git,” Ginny retorted, “I did not.” She glared at him for a few seconds before continuing. “We are family in more than just name now. Or did you spend the entire time we were bonding staring at Hermione’s eyes?”

“I…” Ron sputtered. He gave a strangled gasp and turned his head to look at Harry.

Harry, who was settled comfortably on one of the three plush sofas, just smiled knowingly. He looked so much like Hermione, that Ron could have strangled him for his audacity. “Alright then...who is fixing up our house?” Ron asked, still a little irked at Harry’s cheek.

“I asked Kreacher and Dobby to help us out. I assume that they were in the middle of getting the Manor ready for us when something came up. I am also assuming that Dobby is in charge of the decoration. Maybe we should ask him.” The expression on Harry’s face was light, but beneath the surface something was troubling him deeply. “Where was Dobby? He always greets me immediately and enthusiastically, I wonder where he is?” Harry did not allow his forehead to wrinkle with concern as he considered where Dobby could be. He didn’t want to alarm the others.

In a small house, the only place she considered secure, Narcissa Malfoy slumped wearily against the firmness of the wall. The roughness pressed into her back as she wept for her lost family. “My husband and son are lost to me. It is only a matter of time before I am called to serve,” she whimpered into an empty room.

An owl arrived bearing a dirty piece of parchment. She hastened to relieve the owl of its burden. Sinking into an imposing black leather chair that had once held her husband, she pressed the parchment onto the surface of a small table. She methodically smoothed the paper, attempting to remove the wrinkles. Once the parchment was worn smooth and she could barely make out what had been written; her eyes focused on the words. She gasped. Her heart skipped a beat. A ‘pop’ sounded in the sparsely furnished house, and she was gone.

For Kreacher, the timing could not have been worse. He arrived at Narcissa’s safe house to find it silent and desolate. She had left only seconds before. Kreacher’s luck continued to worsen. The room echoed with two blended ‘pops’. Dobby and Winky appeared on either side of Kreacher.

For the first time in his life, Kreacher showed fear on his face. Dobby bound himself to Kreacher, blocking him from leaving the house. No sooner had he done so, than the room filled with house elves. The other house elves gave Kreacher a wide berth. Soon, the ‘pops’ of appearing house elves faded and Kreacher stood alone in the center of a circle. He was surrounded by hundreds of his peers. Knowing what protocol demanded of him, Kreacher dropped to his knees.

“You dare betray your Master?” demanded an ancient house elf. The speaker wore a toga made of a tea towel stamped with an initial and a family crest. The towel was so old that the crest had faded, but the letter ‘B’ was still obvious. Dobby, who had only been exposed to house elves who worked for dark families, had no idea which family the Elder served. “Elder must serve a very good wizard family,” Dobby thought.

“He is not my Master,” spat Kreacher.

“Harry Potter is your Master,” bellowed Dobby.

“I serve the House of Black,” Kreacher insisted, “I am the most loyal servant of the House of Black.”

At this, Dobby exploded. “You dare speak of loyalty?” His diminutive body was vibrating with rage. “Your Master is Harry Potter and you came here to betray him.” Dobby moved away from the edge of the circle to approach Kreacher.

Several house elves squeaked in fear. Others gasped in astonishment. The majority, however, just nodded in agreement.

The house elf that had spoken first identified himself as an elder. “The Council has deliberated, and found you guilty of high treason,” he intoned.

“Guilty of high treason,” Kreacher mimicked in a singsong voice.

“Do not mock the seriousness of your crimes,” roared the elder.

“I have committed no treason,” Kreacher shrieked. “I have saved precious family heirlooms from destruction. I have relayed messages for my mistress. I have protected the noble House of Black from mudbloods and blood traitors.”

The eyes of every house elf glinted with anger. Kreacher fell silent as the mob closed in on him.

Harry and Ron wandered to the kitchen of Grimmauld Place. Ron felt a strange queasiness and he turned to Harry. “Hey Mate, you okay?” he asked cautiously.

“Yeah,” Harry mumbled absently. “Does it bother you that Dobby was not here to greet us? Why would he leave the house? He doesn’t have anywhere else to go, does he?” Harry rattled off the questions that were bothering him without pausing for an answer from Ron.

There was a small ‘pop’ and Dobby appeared next to Harry in the kitchen. Ron acknowledged his presence and the turned back to Harry. “I think we have a bigger problem right now,” Ron announced. Harry frowned questioningly at Ron, but told Dobby to remain in the kitchen.

“We should go back to the sitting room and find out who Hermione just stunned,” Ron reported. Harry’s jaw dropped and he disappeared. Ron chuckled at Harry’s reaction and also vanished.

Hermione stood over the rigid body of Mundungus Fletcher, her wand drawn and her eyes hard. Ginny was crumpled on the floor in the opposite corner of the sitting room. Her still body lay in a heap, slouched against the silver clawed foot of an ornate table.

Harry was surprised at his reaction to the situation. He felt immediate and overwhelming concern for Ginny. He waited for his anger to rise as he knelt beside her to revive her. His anger never surfaced as he pulled his wand from his pocket. “Ennervate,” Harry commanded.

Ginny rose to her feet shakily, with some assistance from Harry. He put his arm around her waist and Ron put his arm around her shoulders to steady her. When Ginny’s entire weight was supported by Ron’s arm, Harry slipped his arm away.

He crossed the room and placed his hand on Hermione’s wand arm. Her arm dropped to her side, her wand dangling limply between her fingers. She visibly relaxed and patted Harry’s hand reassuringly. She left Harry’s side to join Ron in the corner to help support Ginny. She would need a great deal of support as her brain strove to emerge from the fog that the spell had created.

“Ennervate,” Harry drawled, this time speaking as if he had all the time and not a care in the world. Mundungus stirred and tried to reach for his wand. Harry stepped on the wand viciously and kicked the shattered piece into the center of the room. Harry was unconcerned that Mundungus would be able to Apparate out of the Manor. He knew that Hermione would have taken care of that after she stunned him.

Mundungus struggled to sit up. He faced Harry, with his back to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. He glared at the powerful young wizard he had stolen from previously. He had been caught red-handed, and he knew it. He was sullen as he considered what consequences he might have to pay.

“Why are you here?” Harry asked evenly.

“I wanted to return those things I stole from you,” he told Harry dully.

“What did you being to return?” Harry asked patiently.

“I brought back everything I took,” Mundungus chanted in a monotone voice.

“Show me,” Harry commanded, his voice betraying no hint of the excitement he felt.

Harry had frequently found himself wondering if he had seen the locket that had been in the cave before he knew what it was. There had been a large heavy locket at Grimmauld Place when they had been ‘cleaning’ the Manor. “Was it the same locket,” he wondered. His suspicions had only multiplied over time as he thought about the initials R.A.B. He had pictured the place on the Black Family Tree next to Sirius. Could Sirius’ brother have regretted his decision to become a Death Eater? Had he been the one to steal the locket and try to redeem himself? Had he brought the locket back to Grimmauld place? “If Voldemort discovered his treachery, it would be the last place he would search for the locket,” Harry muttered to himself. The questions ran through his head, threatening to drive him insane.

Mundungus turned out his pockets. Ron pointed out the heavy gold ring with the Black family crest on it. They had all seen that ring before. Hermione nudged Ginny, who called across the room to Harry. “Harry, he has something behind his back,” she indicated the hand that Harry could not see.

“What do you have?” Harry demanded.

Mundungus hunched forward as he brought his arm forward, protecting his treasure. He held his hand out in front of his body, his fist closed tightly.

“Open it,” Harry ordered. Mundungus slowly uncurled his fingers and revealed the locket Harry remembered.

“Hand it over,” Harry blurted, staring at the locket with hope and trepidation. Mundungus didn’t move. His fingers twitched around the locket, but he said nothing.

“Give it to me,” Harry screamed. He could not wait any longer. He bent down and grabbed the locket out of Mundungus’ hand. Mundungus reacted the instant the locket left his grasp. Mundungus snatched the locket from Harry’s fingers and screeched in anguish.

Mundungus began to try and pry the locket open. He managed to force one of his grimy fingernails between the two halves of the locket. He forced it to open a fraction of a millimeter. The sound was sucked from the room and a sense of dread descended upon Harry.

The locket emitted a flash of green light from the crevice Mundungus had created. The sound that had vanished from the room rushed at Mundungus.

There was a soft thud as Mundungus slumped on the floor. Hermione screamed and Ginny sunk to the floor in shock. Ron was the only one who seemed unfazed, but he had not moved a muscle. Harry just stared in confusion. There was not a single mark on the body. “He’s dead,” Harry thought as he tried to come to terms with the finality of it all.

There were two distinct ‘pops’ that startled Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Fawkes appeared on Hermione’s shoulder as Dobby rushed to Harry’s side. Dobby stood in front of Harry protectively, as if daring anything to try and harm Harry Potter. Fawkes, on the other had, simply cocked his head and stared at Hermione out of one eye.

Hermione nodded at Fawkes and he was gone with a soft ‘pop’. “Harry,” Hermione called to him softly, “Mundungus tried to force the locket open, right?”

“Yes,” Harry responded without emotion.

“What if we asked it nicely?” she ventured.

“What?” Ron thundered. “That is the most insane thing I have ever heard.”

“She’s right, Harry,” Ginny added as she tried to rise from the floor for a second time that night. “Tom would probably think it was a hysterical joke to make someone ask politely to access one of his Horcruxes.”

“I think it means that he had no intention of ever seeing them again,” Hermione added.

“It’s worth a try, Mate,” Ron grudgingly agreed.

Harry stared at the locket for a moment that felt like an eternity. He stooped down and scooped up the locket. He held it in the palm of his hand, letting it rock gently from side to side.

“Would you please open up?” he asked it politely, feeling rather silly.

Nothing happened. Hermione frowned at Harry. “Try again,” she instructed. “This time, try asking the question properly.”

“I would very much appreciate it if you would open up for me,” Harry told the locket sarcastically before turning to Hermione. “This is ridiculous, it’s not going to work.”

“I didn’t mean how you were asking the question, Harry,” she huffed. “I meant that you were speaking in the wrong language. It is SLYTHERAN’S LOCKET.”

Harry’s mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. Hermione had just yelled at him. “Does she really think that will solve anything?” he fumed.

The locket gleamed in the light of the magical fires lining the wall of the room. Harry looked at it hard, one final time, before trying to destroy it for the second time. “Please open,” Harry cajoled in Parseltongue.

To Harry’s surprise, the locket opened.

Chapter Seven: The Talk


Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter Seven: The Talk

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Seven: The Talk


Harry stared at the open locket in the palm of his hand. Dobby, having finally realized that Mundungus was no longer alive, cowered beside Harry.

“Bloody Hell!” Ron exclaimed, staring at the body in the middle of the sitting room.
“What are we supposed to do with that?” Ginny asked, wrinkling her nose in disgust at Mundungus’ body.

“I have a suggestion,” Hermione piped up, timidly. Her voice was shaking and she didn’t appear to be feeling like herself. “Maybe, that is, if you agree, could we move the body somewhere else?”

“Should we?” Harry asked her slowly, his mind running on overdrive. “We didn’t kill him, could we be held responsible? What would the Ministry do to us?”

“I think it might be the best thing,” Hermione mumbled. “Wait, maybe we should contact someone from the Order.”

“Hermione,” Ron practically shouted, shaking her gently. “Hermione, you need to concentrate. We need to figure out what to do.”

“We can’t contact the Order or the Ministry,” Ginny announced. “They would find out about both the locket and our new powers.”

“We can’t risk that,” Harry announced grimly, “we don’t know what would come of it.”

“Harry Potter,” Dobby piped up shyly, not interrupting the discussion taking place two feet above his head. “Harry Potter,” he bellowed.

Harry looked down in surprise, having missed Dobby’s first address, and saw Dobby’s face filled with fear. Dobby turned abruptly and tried to run headlong into the end of the sofa. Harry caught him by the back of his tea cozy and yanked him to a sitting position on the floor. “He can’t hurt himself from this position.”

“Harry Potter, there is a place where we could leave it,” Dobby squeaked, immensely relieved that Harry had stopped him from hitting the leg of the sofa. “A place where it can’t be found.”

“Where would that be, Dobby?” Hermione asked kindly.

“Dobby cannot say,” Dobby responded, quaking with fear, knowing that he could not tell anyone the secret location.

“What good does it do us then,” Ron scoffed.

“Dobby, can you take the body there?” Hermione tried again, still sounding very compassionate.

Dobby nodded boldly. “Yes,” he replied confidently. “Dobby will take it there.”

“Thank you, Dobby,” Harry said gratefully, extending his hand to help Dobby off the floor. Dobby would not allow Harry to help him up; instead he snapped his fingers and disappeared.

When Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny turned, the body was gone. Hermione began to cry, while Ron tried to comfort her awkwardly. He was not sorry that Mundungus was gone. Mundungus had hurt Harry and caused his Mum a lot of grief. “Why is she so upset? She didn’t even know him. All he ever did was tell stories and smell up the room.”

Harry walked over to Hermione and gently pried her out of Ron’s grip. He pulled her close and held her tightly. He was feeling the same grief that she was and had no idea how to explain his emotional state. Ginny and Ron walked over to where Harry stood, holding Hermione in a bear hug. Ginny approached them first, a smile barely formed on her lips. She threw her arms around Harry and placed her hands on Hermione’s arms. Ron stepped to the other side of his girlfriend and embraced her tightly. His arms overlapped Ginny’s and provided Hermione and Harry with the comfort they so desperately needed.

The simple act of touching helped to pull Harry and Hermione out of their despair. After some time, Hermione looked up at Harry and a smile began to form. Harry saw the beginnings of her smile and felt his heart lift. “Everything will be fine. We will make it through this.”

Dobby reappeared with news of the disposal. “All is done,” Dobby reported. “No one will find it.”

Harry thanked him and released him to return to his duties. Dobby left, appreciative for the chance to escape the sadness that lingered in the room.

Once things had returned to normal, as normal as they could now be, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny made their way across the room to examine the destroyed Horcrux. The Horcrux, having been dispossessed by Lord Voldemort’s evil, gleamed as if it were new.

“It’s beautiful,” Ginny breathed. “Could I have it?” She seemed enthralled by the locket, as if she were experiencing nirvana.

“Ginny, I don’t think that is a good idea,” Harry told her grudgingly.

“Can I at least try it on?” she asked, disappointment dripping from every word.

“I don’t see why not,” Hermione told Harry loudly, for Ginny’s benefit. “It might be helpful,” she whispered, in her know-it-all tone.

“Are you nutters?” Ron hissed at Hermione, his face inches from hers. “That thing had Vold…Tom’s soul in it.”

“Had, Ron, it HAD the soul in it,” Hermione turned and shouted in his ear.

Ron rubbed his ear gingerly, wishing he hadn’t provoked Hermione’s wrath. “Fine,” he grumbled.

“He’s right, Hermione.” Harry turned to look directly into Ginny’s eyes. “It’s not safe.”

“Harry,” Hermione began quietly. “There is nothing left in that locket but hateful memories, ones that need to be dispelled.”

Harry saw the wisdom in Hermione’s words. He thought back to the first thing Hermione had said. “Maybe it will be helpful. Anything to help her forget the nightmare she lived through because of me.” “Sure, Ginny. You can try it on,” Harry confirmed reluctantly.

He gingerly tipped his hand so the locket slid from his palm smoothly into Ginny’s upturned hand. Before she had the chance to unhook the clasp, Hermione grabbed her arm to stop her.

“Ginny, wait,” she instructed. “Let me take the amulet off first.”

Hermione removed the sticking charm and pulled the cord gently from her neck. Hermione beckoned Harry over and removed his amulet in the same manner. She indicated that he should secure the locket around Ginny’s neck. “Why don’t you help her, Harry?” she advised.

Harry took the locket from Ginny. She spun around so that her back was to him and lifted her hair to bare her neck. Harry reached his arm around her shoulder to settle the heavy locket onto her chest. He fumbled with the clasp for a few awkward seconds before securing the ends together. His task done, he leaned forward to plant a tender kiss on the nape of her neck.

Ginny closed her eyes at the soft touch of Harry’s lips. The love she felt overwhelmed her senses. She reached up to cover Harry’s hand with her own and the horrible memories came flooding back. She felt every sensation throughout her body. It was as if she was lying on the cold, stone floor of the Chamber of Secrets, again. The memories were so strong that her body grew rigid and clammy.

She saw herself, unconscious on the floor, in the Chamber. She heard Tom’s muffled voice, echoing from another time. She heard Harry’s voice responding in an equally distant tone. She watched in horror as the events that plagued her dreams unfolded before her eyes.

She was completely helpless to stop the terrifying scene that was playing as Harry fought for both his life and hers. There was a distinct rustle, one that was not muffled by time. She was startled to find that Harry, Hermione, and Ron were surrounding her in a protective arc. Harry stood to her right, Hermione to the left and they clasped their hands in hers. Ron stood behind her, his hands on her shoulders.

She no longer felt alone. Her courage returned, stronger than before, and she willed the images from her mind. She forcibly replaced them with the happiest memories she could muster.

Too quickly, the moments with Harry, Ron, and Hermione flashed in her memory. The few memories she had of the four of them together were not strong enough to push out the evil. She fought harder to bring memories of her Mum and Dad, Bill, Charlie, Fred, George, and even Percy to the surface.

Slowly, the happy memories pushed the vision of Harry’s lying on the stone dying from the Basilisk fang from her mind. She cautiously opened her eyes, half expecting Hermione to be next to her holding her hand. Time had stood still while Ginny had healed her heart. Harry’s lips were mere inches from her neck. Ron and Hermione were halfway across the room. Hermione was still struggling to perform the counter charm to remove the Eagle from Ron’s neck. Her difficulty was owed, in large part, to the fact that she had tickled him during her first attempt at removing the amulet.

Ginny felt her body warm and fill with certain lightness. She whirled around, catching Harry by surprise, and threw her arms around his neck. She was levitating a few inches off the ground. She planted a playful kiss on Harry’s nose and grinned widely at him. She let go of his neck and hit the floor. She dashed over to Ron and Hermione, heedless of the furniture throughout the room, and knocked them both over in her haste to hug them both.

“I told you it might be helpful,” Hermione said smugly, wincing at Ron’s elbow buried in her gut. Harry sprinted across the room, unsuccessfully dodging an end table, before throwing himself onto the pile of bodies.

After what seemed like an hour of joking and laughing, they decided it was time to go to bed. Harry and Ron carried the duffel bags as they headed up the stairs. While trudging up the stairs, Hermione suggested that they camp out in the drawing room on the second level. Harry was curious about Hermione’s room choice. “Any particular reason?” he asked.

“It’s the room we worked on the most with Mrs. Weasley,” Hermione explained. “Since Dobby and Kreacher haven’t managed to make it beyond the sitting room, it’s the most logical choice.”

Her logic was dead on and Harry nodded in agreement. Ginny also nodded, and Ron gave Hermione thumbs up. “It is settled,” Harry thought. “The drawing room it is,” he proclaimed to the group.

They were part of the way up the stairs when Dobby appeared. Harry noticed that the ‘pop’ was considerably softer than usual. “Harry Potter,” Dobby whispered loudly. “Harry Potter must not wake Mrs. Black!”

“Merlin,” Harry blurted out as quietly as possible. “I had forgotten about that awful woman. Thank you Dobby.” Harry paused, in the middle of his next step, a look of intense concentration clouding his brilliant green eyes. “I’ve got an idea,” he declared confidently. “You guys go ahead, I’ll be up soon.”

He watched as Hermione and Ron continued up the stairs, tiptoeing like mice. Ginny and Dobby had remained behind.

“Harry Potter,” Dobby began hesitantly, “Kreacher is gone.”

“Gone?” Harry questioned. “How could he leave? I requested that he work on the Manor.”

“Kreacher is dead,” Dobby corrected.

“How?” Ginny asked with no discernable trace of sadness.

“Kreacher betrayed Master,” Dobby snarled, the disgust evident in his voice.

“I’m sorry,” Harry stammered, unsure of how to deal with Dobby’s anger. “It sounds like Kreacher tried to kill me.” Then, to Dobby, “Will you need help getting the Manor ready?”

“Dobby needs no help,” Dobby exclaimed fervently. Dobby, his head slightly bowed and wringing his hands, “Winky could leave Hogwarts,” he suggested helpfully.

“Go get her,” Harry insisted, knowing that Dobby would be lonely in the big house by himself.

Dobby disappeared with a much louder ‘pop’ than before. Harry cringed, fearing that Mrs. Black would be disturbed before he could get to the portrait. Caught unaware, Harry was yanked forward as Ginny tugged fiercely on his sleeves. She pulled him close and whispered suggestively in his ear. Harry blushed crimson and shook his head at her boldness.

“I can’t right now,” he mumbled regretfully, torn between duty and pleasure. “I will be up soon though.”

She hesitated for a moment. One hand rested on his chest; the fingers of the other curled in his unruly hair. She kissed him passionately, giving him a taste of everything he would be missing every moment he delayed. Without warning, she pulled away and sashayed up the remaining stairs. She paused after four steps to shake her hips at Harry.

Harry stood motionless; his eyes glued to Ginny’s body as she strutted down the hall. She was very aware of his eyes as they followed every move she made. He waited until she had vanished into the drawing room before he shook his head vigorously. He needed to clear the images of Ginny, naked beside him, before he could complete his next task. “Do I really want to talk to Mrs. Black? Maybe I should chuck it and spend some quality time with Ginny.”

He shook his head one final time to clear the thoughts before climbing the finals steps to the second level. He tread lightly, waiting until the last moment possible for the confrontation he was about to face. He held his wand at the ready, preparing for anything Mrs. Black might try. “Muffliato,” Harry muttered as he approached the portrait in the hallway. “There’s no reason for everyone and her brother to hear me bargaining with her for a bit of peace,” he said, thinking of Ginny. He was shocked to see that all of the other portraits were missing. “Apparently Dobby has gone beyond the sitting room, Hermione,” he mused.

He conjured a comfortable, velvety soft chair, which he placed directly in front of the portrait. He waved his wand and the curtains that covered the portrait separated. Harry hastily stowed his wand out of sight, not intending to provoke Mrs. Black any more than necessary.

Mrs. Black opened her eyes reluctantly. She took in the sight before her and drew a deep breath, preparing for her usual rant. “Filth! Scum!” she screeched.

She was abruptly silenced as Harry drew his wand again and flicked it in her direction. “Silencio,” he commanded.

Harry was shocked when Mrs. Black fell silent. Her mouth continued to open and close, her lips forming words that Harry could not comprehend. “It has got to because of the bond. Ginny has been exhibiting some extreme displays of power; maybe I have grown more powerful too. I wonder if Ron and Hermione are noticing their powers are stronger too.” After several tense moments, Mrs. Black finally closed her mouth. She stared fixedly at a point over Harry’s head, her lips pursed in irritation.

“Mrs. Black," Harry exclaimed.

She began to scream again. She came dangerously close to foaming at the mouth as her face contorted grotesquely in anger. Her tirade soon ceased just as abruptly as it had begun.

Harry tried one more time to be civil. “Mrs. Black,” he repeated. She merely glared at him, as if daring him to try to address her as his equal. “Mrs. Black, I need to discuss some arrangements with you,” Harry emphasized his desire for a two sided conversation. “I will remove the spell if you will agree to attempt a civil conversation. If we can’t come to an arrangement, I will be forced to take matters into my own hands.” He finished ominously, leaving no doubt of his intentions. “She will cooperate or I will destroy that bloody portrait.”

Harry was genuinely surprised when Mrs. Black nodded sedately at his request. He flicked his wand again and removed the silencing spell.

“What do you want?” she asked harshly.

“I need to discuss the living arrangements for the Black Family Manor,” he explained. “After Sirius died, I inherited the Manor. I know you are unhappy about this. I also know that you were incredibly displeased with the presence of the Order. I am here to come to a compromise. The first thing I can offer you is the absence of the Order. They will no longer be using the Manor for Order business.” He stopped, waiting for a response.

“What do you intend to do with the Manor now that you have got those filthy half-breeds out?” she asked in an amicable voice. Had he not heard her words, Harry would have thought she was asking about the weather.

”I intend to completely renovate the Manor. I am determined to follow Sirius’ wishes. He wanted the Manor restored to its former glory.” He paused, trying to avoid offending Mrs. Black. “According to Sirius’ will, the Manor was to be used as a residence. My residence...” Harry’s voice trailed off and his fingers twitched on his wand in anticipation of her response.

“He was always so loyal,” she complained. “His loyalty was incredibly misplaced. It was too bad. It is too bad that his loyalty lay with the wrong side. He could have been so powerful. Had it not been for Dumbledore, he could have restored the Black Family Name.”

“I think that we can come to an agreement that will benefit us both; and, quite possibly, restore the Black Family Name,” he offered.

“What do you have in mind?” she dropped all pretenses and oozed with curiosity.

“There is someone in the Ministry, someone high up, who owes me a few favors.” Harry smirked at the thought of the look on Rufus Scrimgeour’s face when he suggested the changes. Harry was positive that Scrimgeour would be amenable to the changes in the Ministry. Harry was very aware that the Minister was still holding onto a small shred of hope that he would be the new ‘poster child’ for the Ministry.

“The Ministry is lacking…well they are lacking a great deal. What is most pertinent to our discussion is their lack of a Historical Department. They are badly in need of witches and wizards to accurately present our history. I plan to propose to the Minister, with your cooperation, the idea of a historical division within the Ministry. The division would be headed by a living member of the Ministry, but would be staffed by portraits. There are many portraits, not unlike yourself, who would have invaluable knowledge to provide.” Harry hated himself for groveling before the woman who had made Sirius’ life so miserable. He glanced down at his feet before continuing. “Your portrait will be moved to a secure location, with the other portraits I mentioned. You will be able to share your wealth of knowledge of the wizarding world with others.” Harry ended his speech with flattery, hoping that it would convince her to see the compromise in a positive light.

“Is this what you’ve come to? Working in conjunction with a half-blood, Father would turn over in his grave. If I don’t accept his offer, he’ll surely find a way to destroy me.” Her eyes turned to the scar on Harry’s forehead; “Make the deal,” she announced regally.

Harry felt a great wave of relief wash over him. “Thank you, Mrs. Black. I’ll compose the letter now to get the process started.” He conjured a piece of parchment and quill. With Mrs. Black’s help, he wrote an undeniably convincing letter to the Minister. Once finished, Harry addressed the letter.

Rufus Scrimgeour
Minister of Magic
Ministry of Magic
Private Inbox
Personal and Confidential


He held it in the palm of his hand. He blinked once, deep in concentration, and it vanished with a flash. “That was wicked!” Harry assured Mrs. Black that an Official from the Ministry would be by in the next couple of days to move her portrait. “Please remove the permanent sticking charm before they arrive,” he reminded her sternly.

Harry and Mrs. Black said their good-byes. Her tone was quite formal, but her demeanor bordered on polite. Harry smiled in astonishment. While Sirius would not be any more proud of his methods than Harry himself was, Harry knew that Sirius would be happy with the end result. The Black Family Manor would, in a few days, be forever rid of that awful portrait. Harry eagerly jogged down the hallway; his task completed successfully, his mind only on Ginny.

He stopped short at the door to the drawing room. Dobby and Winky were standing just outside of the doorway. Harry nodded at Dobby. He noticed that Winky was bowing her head in shame. Harry was monumentally confused. “If she doesn’t want to be here, why did she come? I’d better act like I know what’s going on. I wonder if I should say something. Probably.” “Welcome to the Black Family Manor,” he formally declared. He saw Dobby hide his smile from Winky. Harry caught the smile, and remembered the discussion in the kitchens at Hogwarts many years ago. “No, Winky, you will not be paid to work here,” Harry assured her. Harry was instantly glad that he had understood the sign from Dobby.

Winky lifted her head and her worried look subsided slightly. “Master, I serve the House of Black?” Winky asked solemnly.

Harry had no idea what type of response he was suppose to give. He glanced at Dobby out of the corner of his eye again, seeking guidance. Dobby nodded, but the motion was so discrete that his nose only lifted a fraction of an inch. The signal came across loud and clear to Harry. He felt a rush of gratitude for Dobby. “Winky, the House of Black accepts you,” he declared.

“Master,” she replied squeakily.

“and House Elf,” Harry answered. The formality made him want to laugh. He was glad that Hermione wasn’t here to witness this, she would be furious.

“bonded for eternity,” Winky and Harry intoned together.

Winky’s tattered and dirty clothes were replaced with a clean outfit. Her new outfit bore the Black Family crest. Winky looked up to Harry with relief on her small face. Their mission completed Dobby and Winky bowed deeply, and disappeared.

Harry opened the door to the drawing room, expecting to find two comfortable but small beds. He figured that his friends would be playing a game of Exploding Snap on the floor of the room. “Boy was I wrong.” Hermione had turned the drawing room into a teenager’s dream fort. She had conjured two giant beds, large enough to hold several grown men. The floor of the room, what could be seen in between all of the furniture, was littered with every wizarding game known. There were several tables scattered across the room, covered with books and comics.

He was surprised to see that it was Hermione, not Ginny, who was involved in a heated game of Exploding Snap. Harry was grateful to Ginny for keeping their questions at bay, when they all but ignored his entrance. Ginny, who was sprawled out on the bed reading one of Ron’s old comics, looked up and smiled at him sweetly. “What did I do to deserve such a magnificent lady?”

Harry realized the comic books came from the floor in Ron’s bedroom at the Burrow. If Mr. Weasley hadn’t been a pureblooded wizard, Harry might have thought that the comics had been written about him. The Adventures of Martin Miggs, the Mad Muggle just sounded like it fit with Mr. Weasleys obsession with everything Muggle.

Harry sunk onto the bed next to Ginny. The exhaustion hit him like the Knight Bus. He curled up on top of the blankets, beyond caring that he was still in his clothes. Ginny set her comic down onto one of the many oak tables and rolled over to where Harry lay. She gently removed his glasses and set them on the nightstand next to the bed. She curled up against his chest, he pulled her close, and they fell into a deep slumber. Her hair, spread out on the pillow surrounding both her head and Harry’s, flamed brighter than the fieriness of the setting sun.

Ron and Hermione continued to play their game of Exploding Snap, quietly, for a short time before they too felt the exhaustion creep up on them. They crawled into the empty bed and curled up together, much like Harry and Ginny.

Their day had been emotionally harrowing. Harry had not had the opportunity to tell them about Kreacher, but Ginny had spread the news while Harry dealt with Mrs. Black. Between the death of Mundungus earlier and the news of the execution of Kreacher, everyone was emotionally drained.

The night passed quickly. The four slept peacefully; there was no evil to disturb their dreams. Ginny stirred in the morning light, rubbing against Harry as she stretched her limbs.

Harry, slowly leaving the realm of sleep, enjoyed the sensational movements Ginny was making. All of a sudden, Harry became fully awake, alert and aware of his surroundings. He rolled away from Ginny, onto his stomach to hide his arousal. He didn’t want Ginny to be aware of his predicament. While she might be comfortable teasing him about certain sexual situations, he was not yet ready to introduce her to his ‘early morning problem’.

Harry got out of bed carefully, keeping his back to both beds. He grabbed some clean clothes from the duffel bag for himself. The he turned his head to make sure he was in the clear and saw that Ron was also awake. As Ron caught his eye, Harry knew that he was suffering from the same dilemma. Harry also grabbed Ron some clean clothes and headed toward the hall. Ron gingerly escaped from Hermione’s grasp and, after closing the door, joined Harry in the hallway. The trekked to the bathrooms that had been temporarily restored; both too embarrassed to discuss the circumstances.

After Harry and Ron had left the room and the door had swung shut, Ginny and Hermione burst into giggles. Ginny smirked at Harry’s effort to hide his condition. “I can’t believe he thinks I didn’t notice.”

By the time that Harry and Ron had emerged from their separate bathrooms, clean and dressed again, the ladies were up and about. Ginny had packed all of their remaining belongings into the duffel bags while Hermione had vanished the many pieces of furniture she had conjured the night before.

“I’m bloody hungry,” Ron proclaimed as he entered the room.

In response, Hermione and Ginny just made a mad dash to the bathroom. Ron and Harry sat on the floor, since Hermione had vanished all of the chairs, and they were too lazy to conjure more. They were discussing the return trip to the Burrow that afternoon. A short while later, the ladies reemerged looking pretty and smelling wonderfully. Hermione had a stern look on her face as she saw Harry and Ron sitting on the floor. “I’ll bet she wants to go back to the Burrow already,” Ron grumbled to himself. Hermione opened her mouth, but never got the chance to say anything.

Dobby and Winky appeared with several trays of food for breakfast. Dobby disappeared, but Winky looked appalled that her Master was sitting on the floor. She snapped her fingers and a proper kitchen table; complete with four chairs, appeared out of thin air. She disappeared as well and the foursome sat down to breakfast. When the plates were empty, and even Ron was full, Dobby reappeared to remove the dishes.

“Good luck, Harry Potter,” Dobby squeaked.

“Thank you, Dobby,” Harry replied. “Breakfast was excellent. We will be back in a while to check on the progress. Please find me if you need anything.” Harry noticed that Dobby had a worried look on his face and Harry was quick to assure him that the sitting room was perfect. “Everything is wonderful so far,” he confirmed. “There’s just one thing. We want the Manor to be light and comfortable. We don’t want anything dark or stuffy.” Harry tried his best to gently explain what they wanted without offending Dobby. “I don’t want to hurt his feelings, but the last thing we need is to come home to a place that looks like the Slytherin Common Room.”

Dobby nodded his head fiercely. “Dobby understands, Harry Potter.” Then he disappeared.

I want to show you guys something before we leave for the Burrow,” Harry announced enthusiastically. He picked up the duffel bags, one in each hand, and blinked his eyes. They disappeared. Ron and Ginny stared in amazement. Hermione just nodded her head in approval.

There was a distinct note of pride in her voice when she spoke. “Well done, Harry. I’m not surprised that you were the first to master that particular spell. Although, I do have to admit that I am impressed with your use of a nonverbal version of the spell. What really is amazing is that you were wandless!” Hermione felt a hint of envy that Harry could perform the spell nonverbally without his wand.

Harry looked as shocked as Ginny and Ron at Hermione’s announcement.

“Where did you send them?” Hermione asked.

“I sent them to the garden shed. I figured it was closer than the paddock,” Harry replied, grinning.

“How did you do it?” Hermione asked

“I have no clue,” Harry responded. “I was concentrating on the duffel bags, I blinked to clear my eyes, and they were gone.”

“How do you know where they ended up?” she queried. “You sound positive that they ended up where you wanted them to.”

“I just have this feeling. I know that they will be there,” Harry assured her. “Now might be a good time to tell you that I also sent a letter to the Minister’s inbox yesterday.”

Hermione just gaped at him. He opened her mouth to ask another question, when she was interrupted.

Ron, who looked completely clueless, raised his hand. “What are the two of you jabbering about? What spell did Harry learn?” he asked curiously.

The placement charm,” Hermione replied, sounding a bit like Professor McGonagall. “The placement charm is used to remotely position an object. It is similar to using ‘locomotor’, but you can move things over long distances and it allows for accurate placement of the object. I can’t do it yet. I’m hoping that Harry will be able to explain the process to me, the book I am reading is a bit, uh, unclear.” Hermione sounded more like Ron than herself. She even sounded shocked at her revelation.

“Will you show me how you do it, Hermione?” Harry asked. “I don’t even know the incantation. I just do it by instinct.”

Rather than upsetting Hermione, this seemed to cheer her up. “I might not have mastered the spell yet, but I know the incantation,” she thought smugly. “Devinvictum,” she told Harry. “The incantation is Day-vin-vick-tum.” Hermione sounded it out so that Harry would not conjure something by accident. She could imagine how horrible it must have been for Wizard Baruffio to have a buffalo on his chest. “The last thing I need is for Harry to be squished by some giant bug.”

Harry conjured a pair of socks. One sock was violently orange and had ‘CC’ emblazoned in gold near the toe. The other sock was maroon and gold striped, just like their Gryffindor Quidditch robes. “This ought to be a fitting present for Dobby for helping us out with the Manor, right?” he asked Ron. Ron agreed wholeheartedly. Ginny and Hermione both agreed that it was a nice gesture.

“Where should I put these?” Harry mused. “Where will Dobby be guaranteed to find them?”

“Harry, you should put them in the library,” Ginny offered. “I heard Dobby telling Winky that was the next room they were going to renovate.”

“Right.” Harry nodded in agreement. “The library it is.”

“Here you go, Hermione.” Harry chuckled softly as he handed Hermione the socks. “Let’s see what you can do.”

Hermione took the socks from Harry and help them in her palm. She concentrated on the library and raised her wand. “Devinvictum,” she cried out, her voice panicked. Hermione stared in wonderment at her empty palm. “I did it,” she exclaimed in bewilderment.

“Sort of.” Ron’s voice was muffled and he was gagging. Hermione turned to look and was appalled to see that Ron had the Chudley Cannon sock stuffed in his mouth, while Ginny had the Gryffindor sock hanging from her left ear.

Harry did his best not to laugh as he tried to convince Hermione to try again. “Accio socks,” Harry called. Both of the socks zoomed into his outstretched hand, giving Ron a chance to take a deep breath and spit out the fuzzy yarn bits. He handed the socks back to Hermione. “Try again,” he urged.

Hermione took the socks reluctantly. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt Ron. The second to last thing she wanted to do was embarrass herself in front of him. “I have managed to do both with one spell.” She closed her eyes and concentrated with all her might, using the advice that the Ministry wizard had offered when they were learning to Apparate. “I am determined to send these socks to the correct destination. Forget deliberation, I don’t have time.” “Devinvictum,” she called out, more confidently this time.

She opened her eyes and saw an empty palm again, but was more wary than excited. Harry flashed to the library to check on the socks. He was back in the same instant and began to clap. Hermione had been afraid to look up, until she heard the applause coming from Harry, Ron, and Ginny. “I did it,” she squealed

With that, Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione left for the garden shed at the Burrow. Ron played the decoy and left the garden shed first, hoping to distract anyone who was outside the house. When the coast was clear, Harry, Ginny, and Hermione emerged from the shed. Hermione left first, walking quickly toward the house. Harry pulled Ginny into a tight embrace and kissed her deeply before sending her on the path to the front door. He followed closely behind her, aware of the tension in the air. The last time they had approached the front door, Mrs. Weasley had greeted them with open arms. Everyone was wondering how she would greet them this time. “Will she even want me back?” Ginny wondered sadly. Harry tapped into her fears and held her hand tightly as they drew closer to the door.

The door sung open and Mrs. Weasley charged out, her arms open wide. She was most concerned with Ginny, holding her for a full three minutes before turning to Ron. She hugged Ron tightly, then Harry, then Hermione. Then she hugged them all together. Twice.

Mrs. Weasley led the way into the kitchen, offering to fix them something to eat. Harry declined her offer saying that he was not particularly hungry. Ron, Ginny, and Hermione sat down at the kitchen table because Mrs. Weasley had already started frying a pan of bacon. Bacon sandwiches were both Ginny and Hermione’s favorite, so they stayed a while to have something to eat. “I’ll eat anything,” Ron thought, “except corned beef sandwiches.”

Ron and Harry left the kitchen and marched up the stairs to Ron’s bedroom. They met Mr. Weasley on the landing next to Ginny’s room. “Boys,” he started, “I think it’s time we had a chat.”

Harry looked at Ron with concern. Mr. Weasley rarely meddled in their affairs; it was usually Mrs. Weasley who pried into their lives. “Sure, Mr. Weasley,” Harry replied. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Let’s go to Ron’s room,” Mr. Weasley suggested, “and call me Arthur, Harry.”

They entered Ron’s bedroom, a strange sense of dread filling Harry, and Mr. Weasley closed the door. “Mr. W…Arthur,” Harry stammered. “What did you need to talk to us about?”

“I need to talk to you about something very serious,” Mr. Weasley intoned. “I want you to understand the importance of this talk.”

Harry felt the sweat beading up under his arms and along his hairline. “Did we do something wrong?” he breathed.

“No, Harry, you and Ron did nothing wrong. Molly wanted me to…I wanted to sit down and talk with you about the dangers of…” Mr. Weasley trailed off.

Harry, whose worry was not appeased in the slightest by Mr. Weasley’s statement, nearly broke into a fit of hysterical giggles when Ron bellowed like an injured lion.

“You want to talk to us about sex,” Ron accused. “You let Mum talk you into this, didn’t you? Do you really think that we are having sex? We were gone for one bloody night.” Ron fell silent and Harry thought that he was done, but that had only been Ron getting warmed up. “He does sound remarkably like his Mum.”

Ron was on a roll, and nothing Mr. Weasley could say was going to keep him from telling his Dad what he thought of his lack of trust. “You and Mum have some ridiculous notion that there is no way that we could have spent the night together without having sex. I’ll bet you have some torrid love scene all cooked up. Did you picture Harry and Ginny sharing one bed and Hermione and I sharing another? We did, and we SLEPT. Did you picture that it would start with an innocent game of exploding snap and then we would end up in some tawdry situation, cavorting around naked? Do you really think that I would allow Harry to touch Ginny in front of me? We’re best mates, but I don’t even like seeing him snog my little sister. Do you really think I would let him sh…sh…shag her? Ugh.” Ron lost his steam at the thought of Harry shagging his baby sister.

Mr. Weasley, who deeply regretted buying into his wife’s paranoia, was more than slightly amused at Ron’s rant. “I do believe that was exactly what Molly had in mind.” He chuckled at Ron’s accuracy before trying to control himself to finish the lecture. “Well, boys,” he chortled, trying to sound stern and failing miserably. “I’m glad that you have decided to be responsible. I will be telling your mother that we have nothing to worry about.”

He Disapparated and Ron and Harry burst into maniacal laughter. “Can you believe that he thought…” Harry babbled.

“he thought we were…” Ron cackled.

“with Ginny…” Harry sputtered.

“and Hermione…” Ron sobbed.

They both were panting from laughing so hard when the thought hit them.

“Sex with Hermione,” Ron thought.

“Sex with Ginny,” Harry thought.


They both wondered if they would ever be ready. Then their thoughts turned to their girlfriends, their bonded partners. “I wonder if they’re ready.” Harry and Ron pondered simultaneously.

While Ron had been roaring at Mr. Weasley, Hermione had been roaring at Mrs. Weasley. Mrs. Weasley seemed satisfied with Hermione and Ginny’s account of their time at Grimmauld Place. Hermione and Ginny met Harry and Ron on the stairs. It was all they could do to keep from rolling down the stairs. To keep from upsetting their real and surrogate parents, the foursome headed out to the paddock to play some Quidditch.

When they got to the makeshift pitch, they discovered that Professor Lupin was already there. He was chatting with Bill, Charlie, and Tonks. They all waved heartily when they saw them approaching.

“Happy to be home?” Charlie inquired innocently.

“Good to see everyone?” Bill snickered

“I heard that Molly and Arthur were looking for you,” Tonks told them, completely unaware of what had transpired.

“Oh, they found us,” Ginny fumed. “Which one of you set us up for that ‘talk’?”

“Uh, that would be Charlie,” Bill indicated Charlie at the same time Charlie pointed to Bill.

“Bill gave her the idea.”

“Hermione, Ron, and Harry just laughed at their terror. Harry found it especially funny since he had not grown up in a family with siblings. “Two grown men, afraid of their baby sister’s temper.” Ginny calmed down at Harry’s thought and joined in the merriment.

“Professor Lupin, what are you doing here?” Harry asked when the commotion had died down.

“Tonks and I are here to meet with Bill and Charlie,” he divulged, answering Harry’s question and then pressing on. “Harry, when you have a moment, I would like to talk to you.”

For some reason, Bill and Charlie found this hysterical. Tonks and Remus, who were not privy to the prior happenings in the house, were completely lost. Tonks looked like she had been hit with a Confundus Charm. Remus shrugged at the eldest Weasleys and continued on as if nothing had happened. “I was wondering if I might meet with you before the start of term. There were some things that Dumbledore and I were discussing before his death that I think you might be very interested in. Ron, you might be interested in joining the discussion too.”

This last statement sent Bill and Charlie to the ground, howling with laughter. Tonks looked worried as tears streamed down their faces. Even Ron and Hermione had joined in the laughter. The only people who weren’t laughing were Ginny, Harry, Remus and Tonks. Tonks had no idea what was happening, nor did Remus. Ginny didn’t find the circumstances funny in the slightest. Harry, on the other hand, was trying to have a conversation with Professor Lupin.

“Of course, Professor,” Harry replied over the combined mirth of Bill, Charlie, Ron and Hermione. “I would be honored to help you carry on a task that began with Dumbledore. We will be gone for a few days, but I will contact you when we return. Will we be able to talk then?”

“Certainly, Harry,” Professor Lupin remarked easily. “When you get back will be just fine. Do you know where you are going?”

“Yes. Everything will be fine. You don’t need to worry about us. We’re capable of taking care of each other,” he assured. He didn’t want his favorite Professor to worry about them too.

The laughter died. Professor Lupin stared into the air behind Harry. Harry was startled when he turned to see Ginny levitating several feet off the ground. She was turning a color of red that Harry could not describe. He was afraid that she would float off into the atmosphere. She opened her mouth and Harry prepared for a sound that would make a howler sound like a whisper.

“IT’S NOT FUNNY. WE’RE NOT HAVING SEX.” Ginny’s voice exploded from deep within her chest. Miles away, at the nearest Muggle house, the windows rattled from the force of her voice. Thankfully, the Muggle who lives there is stone deaf, and assumed that a particularly nasty gust of wind had rattled his windowpanes.

Her piece said, Ginny floated back to the ground. Hermione watched in amazement as Ginny waved her wand at Professor Lupin and Tonks. She mumbled something under her breath before waving her wand at Bill and Charlie too. “Don’t worry,” Ginny gasped, her voice a mere whisper of its normal volume, “they won’t remember my little flying problem.”

Harry, who was petrified that their secret would be revealed too soon, saw the humor in Ginny’s statement. She had compared her temper to being a werewolf. “Someone might think that Professor Lupin had a deranged rabbit, and they might also think that I have a disobedient broom. "

“In your dreams,” Harry sent to Ginny clearly. “You need to work on your temper.”


After everything had calmed down considerably, the group decided to play a modified game of Quidditch before retiring for the night. Hours later, sweaty and beat, they trudged back to the house. Tonks and Professor Lupin had left earlier, begging off, saying they were too old to keep going at that pace. Although Harry was too tired and sore to eat, Mrs. Weasley insisted that everyone sit down for a spot of supper. Everyone gathered in the kitchen for a quick meal before taking the stairs straight up to the bedrooms to rest.

Molly and Arthur heard the kids return from the paddock. They put out the magical fire to avoid Ashwinders, and Apparated to their bedroom. Later on, while they were lying in bed, Molly and Arthur compared notes on the ‘chats’. They wondered if the kids hadn’t prepared an answer since Hermione and Ron had said precisely the same things. They had not used the same words, as it would have been strange for Hermione to refer to Harry as her ‘best mate’ and Ginny as her ‘little sister’. Hermione had instead talked about Harry being her ‘older brother’ and Ginny being her ‘closest friend’. Still, the points remained the same, and Molly was concerned. Arthur, however, decided that it must be a coincidence, as the ‘chats’ had been unannounced and held in separate rooms. He convinced Molly that it would not be possible for them to have planned their responses. He had one last thought as he drifted off to sleep that night. “It would be possible if they had…” He had fallen asleep before he could complete the thought.

Chapter Eight: Heir Apparent


Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter Eight: Heir Apparent

Author's Notes:

Please note that this chapter contains graphic violence and character death. Please read with caution.


Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Eight: Heir Apparent


It happened that first night. He stared in horror, as his world fragmented into a million pieces, in a place he felt secure. He watched, helpless, as his universe imploded. Those he trusted most surrounded him. He should have been safe. Instead, a part of his heart was perishing in a never-ending fire.

Harry’s scar exploded in pain. He had no time to dwell on the intense burning. Harry was well aware that the tide had turned against him. Tom and the Death Eaters were moments away from victory. Time all but stopped as flames erupted from the second level of the Burrow. Harry knew that there were members of the Weasley family trapped inside. Several members of the Order braved the perilous flames to rescue those trapped inside. Harry had seen the Death Eaters charming the house before they set it on fire. “They must have put an anti-Apparition charm on it. That’s why the Order had to walk in instead.”

Harry stood, against his will, trapped against the side of the garden shed. He was out of the path of the battle that raged around him. Tom had taken him hostage a few moments before. His vantage point offered him a clear view of Ron and Hermione. They were back to back, locked in battle with several Death Eaters but holding their ground. Luna was slumped against the trunk of the Magnolia tree that she and Neville had shared a dance under at Bill’s wedding. “She kissed Neville under that tree. Neville sent me an owl after Bill’s wedding, he was so amazed. Where are Bill and Fleur?”

Voldemort, sensing Harry’s interest, forced Harry’s head in a different direction with a flick of his wrist. Luna was now outside of his field of vision. Unfortunately, Harry was now subjected to the bulk of the battle he had been previously ignorant of. Bodies littered the garden in front of the Burrow. Bill and Fleur were dueling with Malfoy and Nott. Behind them, the Burrow continued to burn brightly. Ginny, Neville, Fred, and George were trying to put out the fire. Neville had conjured the shield charm to protect the four of them while Fred and George fired off spell indiscriminately. They randomly hit the Death Eaters who were rapidly closing in on them. Ginny had her efforts focused on extinguishing the flames. Harry could hear her repeated cry of “Auguamenti”. Despite her valiant attempt, Ginny’s stream of water was not enough to put out the flames that threatened to engulf the Burrow.

Harry tore his eyes away from his beloved to survey the rest of the damage. The only surviving member of the DA, aside from Neville, was Seamus. Harry watched in dismay as a blinding flash of light streaked into his peripheral vision and hit Seamus square in the chest. Harry could feel the tears running down his cheeks as Seamus fell backwards. Harry could not watch anymore. Seamus hit the ground without making a sound, his life extinguished.

Voldemort laughed coldly at the pain he senses coming from Harry. The sound grated on Harry’s sanity and he blinked wildly with despair.

Blink. Charlie’s body, face down. Blink. Professor Lupin, falling to the ground, an enormous gash across his chest. Blink. Tonks rushing to Professor Lupin’s aid, life leaving her as the killing curse hit her in the back. Blink. Ron holding Hermione’s lifeless hand. Blink. Ron charging Malfoy. Blink. Ron, laying face down near Charlie. Blink. Neville’s shield charm dissolving after a particularly nasty curse hit it. Blink. Fred, thrown into Ginny with the impact of a curse. Blink. George sacrificing his own life, throwing his body in front of Ginny to protect her. Blink. Neville blasted through the flaming door of the Burrow.

Voldemort, sensing his own imminent triumph, smiled wickedly.
“Evicere,” Voldemort cackled, his eyes never leaving Harry’s face.

Harry could no longer blink away the tears. They pooled in Harry’s eyes, helping to temper the viciousness that followed. Though he could barely make out the huddle form of his true love, he could hear her wrenching screams. They echoed in his heart. He had no doubt that they would echo in his mind until the end. “Which will be soon,” he promised himself. Sensing the weakening of Harry’s spirit, Voldemort launched his final attack against his nemesis. He had used a curse that was older than the Ministry itself. Only dark wizards, from ancient dark wizarding families would have access to this curse. Were the Ministry aware of the existence of this curse, it would most certainly be the fourth Unforgivable.

Ginny’s body was unblemished, but her mind had been completely conquered. Voldemort had utterly subdued her. Harry felt the final piece of his heart die as the will to live faded from Ginny’s eyes. She cried out, and it was a pitiful, mournful sound.

Then, as Harry was forced to watch in bewilderment, she closed her eyes. As her body withered, the remains of the Burrow collapsed behind her. No one had escaped the ultimate destruction.

Harry was alone, surrounded by his greatest enemy and his multitudes of followers. Voldemort’s intense victorious crowing, coupled with the absolute loss of life, pushed Harry over the edge. He harnessed his rage and regained control of his body. Pure hatred flooded through his veins.

Harry’s body began to tremble. His eyes glowed dangerously. Voldemort took a half step backward, visibly startled by Harry’s display of power.

“If I’m going, I’m taking you with me,” Harry seethed. “I want you to feel a fraction of their pain.” Harry swept his arm in a wide arc, indicating the abundance of lives that had been cut short. He began to vibrate so rapidly that his body emitted a high pitched whine. Then, he…

…woke up. Harry was sitting upright in the same bed he fell asleep in, a few feet away from Ron.

His heart ached as he stared at his best Mate. He could barely stand the pain of being in the same room with him. He uttered a cry of genuine anguish and bolted from the room. Harry tore down the stairs, barreling through the kitchen before disappearing into thin air seconds before he would have impacted the door.

Hermione and Ginny were awakened, in the early hours of the morning, by a sharp pain. The tender skin of their shoulders was raw with the pain emanating from their marks. Ron violently threw open the door and staggered in. “It burns. Bloody hell, it burns,” Ron shouted as he approached his girlfriend and his sister.

“What is happening to us? Hermione babbled, sounding on the verge of delirium.

“The bond,” Ginny choked out.

“What do we…” Ron’s voice was cut off as his eyes rolled back into his head.

Ginny and Hermione had the sense to grab Ron before he hit the floor.

“On three,” Hermione instructed weakly. “One. Two.”

“Three,” Ginny gasped, barely capable of holding on to Ron.

The trio vanished, two of their minds fixed on finding Harry.

Arthur Weasley stood, transfixed, in the stairwell outside of Ginny’s room. His gaze was frozen on the spot where his two youngest had just been. “To think that Molly has been worried about sex. I think it would be easier to break the news of Ginny and Hermione being compromised. This is just too big. Wait a tic, I don’t even know what this is. It could be nothing. Just to be safe, I think I’ll head to the office before Molly wakes up.” As he trotted down the stairs, Arthur was incredibly thankful to have temporarily escaped the inevitable.

On his way to the kitchen, Arthur passed by the enchanted clock. He glanced at his wife’s miraculous clock, out of habit. His eyed widened in shock. His jaw was perilously close to the hem if his robes. He considered waking Molly, then he considered calling the Ministry. “Better yet, I should get in touch with Minerva and demand some answers.” Arthur swiveled on his heel to leave. He was grateful that the ominous hands pointed at ‘Mortal Peril’ were now out of his sight.

Ginny and Hermione arrived to a bleak scene, holding Ron tightly between their arms. Ron was still passed out from the pain in his shoulder. Harry was wedged between two headstones. He lay, inconsolable, curled tightly, his knees against his chest. The back of his right hand grazed his mother’s grave, while his left rested on his father’s grave.

No sooner had they arrived in Godric’s Hollow, than the pain faded. Ginny’s heart throbbed from the pain flowing from Harry’s heart and she knew that it was only a reflection of how badly he was hurt. She understood, instinctively, that he was retaining the majority of the pain for himself. “How can he bear that alone?”

Ginny rushed forward, desperate to hold Harry. Alleviating her pain was secondary to healing Harry’s heart. “Harry,” Ginny called softly to him. “Harry, we’re here.”

Harry did not reply, but seemed to respond slightly to Ginny’s voice. Mumbling incoherently, his eyes glazed and unfocused, he clawed at the marble of the headstones.

Hermione tried to revive Ron several times magically before she gave up. The ache that Harry had broadcast affected her deeply. With no magical remedy apparent, she lost her temper. Letting her pain and frustration override her logic, she bent down and slapped Ron across the face.

“Huh?” Ron mumbled. The momentary touch of her fingers on his face had revived Ron. He reached up to touch her face, his heart heavy. “Where are we?” he asked.

“We’re in Godric’s Hollow,” Hermione snapped. “There’s something wrong with Harry. Get up, we need to help Ginny.”

She had barely finished her sentence when Ginny’s voice echoed from a short distance away. “Hermione! Ron!” Ginny shouted in a panic. “Help me! I can’t reach Harry.”

Ron rose from the dirt like a garden gnome had bitten him. He pulled Hermione to her feet, rushing to Ginny’s aid. When they reached the graves, Ron grabbed Ginny’s hand. The contact with Hermione and Ginny gave him a small measure of comfort. Needing to include Harry, hoping that it would snap him out of his funk, Ginny grabbed one of Harry’s hands.

Harry’s eyes swam into focus. He felt a strange pull to grasp Hermione’s free hand and close the circle. Harry launched himself off the ground with his free hand before clasping Hermione’s hand firmly.

Inspiration struck Hermione. “Spread out,” she instructed. “Spread out more. We have to recreate our bond. We have to call the corners again.

“Point me,” Harry called out. He understood Hermione’s plan and wanted to get into position quickly. He needed to undo the pain he had created.

His wand pointed North in the palm of his hand, showing each of them their proper direction. They took their proper places and clasped their hands together again.

“I call upon the powers of our bond, help me to be a true leader,” Harry declared.

“I call upon the powers of our bond, help me to be a true warrior,” Ginny choked.

“I call upon the powers of our bond, help me to be a true teacher,” Hermione intoned.

“I call upon the powers of our bond, help me to be a true guardian,” Ron stuttered, his voice betraying his concern.

A rope of light appeared in the center of the foursome. The rope split into four strands, a strand branching out to each pair of hands. The strands were dim at first, but glowed more brightly with each passing second.

The ground fell away as the four were lifted into the air. The beauty of the morning sky filled their hearts with joy and the light from the strands intensified.

Harry felt his pain subside. It felt as though it were being forcibly drawn from him. He welcomed the emptiness he felt. His heart was still sore from his dream, but slowly, Hermione, Ginny, and Ron’s love was penetrating the shield he had erected around his heart. When his heart was full of their love, so full it could burst, the light faded into nothingness.

They were back on the ground, set down behind the graves. Harry turned around to take in his surroundings when a knot formed in the pit of his stomach. He swallowed roughly as the bile rose in his throat. The graves behind his parent’s headstones had been dug up. The caskets that had once held the bodies were out of the ground and turned on their side with their contents spilling out of the opened lids.

Harry turned to glance at his friends. Ginny and Ron were gaping in revulsion, having focused all of their attention on the grisly scene. Harry had temporarily forgotten about the scene. His amnesia should have made him blissfully happy; instead, he was focused on Hermione. “What in the bloody…When did Fawkes get here?”

Hermione nodded at Fawkes, her eyes focused in concentration but fixed on a point far away. Fawkes turned toward Harry. He gently took off from Hermione’s shoulder and flew to Harry, landing gently on his shoulder. He opened his beak and the Phoenix Song poured forth, bathing the entire graveyard with its calming reassurance. Harry relaxed, his shoulders sagging as his muscles lost their tautness. When Harry began to feel like a limp noodle and his heart was relieved of the appalling visions from his dream, Fawkes took flight from his shoulder. Before he had gone more than a few feet, he opened his beak once more and the Phoenix Song echoed through the atmosphere. It swelled and grew, until it seemed that the sound could be heard throughout the universe.

“Harry,” Hermione breathed, “we must talk.”

It was then that Harry noticed that he was surrounded by his friends. Hermione, Ginny, and Ron were all standing less than a foot away from him. “I know what you want to talk about,” he muttered darkly. “I am not ready to relive that horror yet. I have to take steps to prepare for what is coming. I won’t let that be the future.” He gestured wildly with his hands before burying his face in them.

“Hey Mate,” Ron pleaded. “You need to tell us what you saw.”

“We are here to help you,” Ginny reasoned.

“I can’t share it with you. Why can’t you just let it be?” Harry snarled.

“Harry, you have to tell us what you saw,” Hermione insisted. “I already know because Fawkes told me. They don’t. They need to understand what happened to you, and to them.”

“Hermione,” Harry whispered, his voice strangled with emotion. “How could you possibly describe that to someone? How do you tell the people you love that you couldn’t save them?”

“Harry,” Ginny pleaded. “Harry, please. Don’t push me away. Don’t keep us at arms length. I love you, we all love you.”

“I can’t,” Harry sobbed. “What do you want from me?”

“We want the truth,” Ron snapped. “How would you feel if you were in our position? You disappeared. I passed out from the pain that YOU inflicted on me. Ginny and Hermione were barely strong enough to find you. I think we deserve to know what is going on. No matter how bad you think it is.”

“Fine,” Harry snapped back, having lost all pity for what Ron was about to endure. “You die. Hermione dies. Ginny dies. Neville dies. Luna dies. Your whole family perishes in a fire. The members of the Order who try to save your family die too. I am powerless to save you, defeated by the one who will take everything from me.” He bowed his head, unable to look at Ron and unwilling to look at Ginny.

It was Hermione who broke the silence. “It was a dream, Harry. Nothing more,” she declared.

“Yeah, sure. And was it just a dream when Mr. Weasley got bit by that snake?” Harry demanded.

“No,” Hermione conceded. “It wasn’t a dream. I think that if you look closely…examine what you saw carefully, no matter how difficult it may be...you will see that it is very different from before. I think you will see that it has more in common with the dream you had about the Department of Mysteries. We all know what that turned out to be, don’t we?”

Harry was incensed at Hermione’s smugness. “I know I screwed that up. You don’t have to remind me. I lost my Godfather that day. Who did you lose?” he spat at her.

“I lost Sirius too,” she responded quietly.

“Harry,” Ginny interjected. “I think Hermione is right. I think that Tom is trying to break your spirit. He is determined to win at any cost; don’t you think that might include sending you a dream that would make you think that he was victorious? I don’t think we have time to dwell on this matter much longer anyway.”

Ron was in complete agreement, his eyes fixed on the coffins once more. “I agree. I think that we have more important things to worry about right now.”

Hermione finally noticed the coffins. Instead of staring at them with dislike, she approached them to examine them thoroughly. She began to see a pattern emerging among the graves that had been vandalized. “Harry,” she shrieked. “I need to talk to you alone.”

Ron and Ginny looked put out, but gave them their space graciously. Hermione pulled Harry to the nearest grave and told him to look at the names on the headstones.

“Longbottom?” Harry mused. “Neville’s relatives?”

“Yes, Harry.” Hermione sighed, as if he were the densest person alive. “Do you understand?”

“No. I’m afraid not,” Harry replied, grinning at Hermione because he knew it would please her to be able to explain it to him.

“Remember that little thing called the prophecy?” she asked him sarcastically.

“Nope,” Harry quipped. “I haven’t given it a second thought.”

“Well, didn’t Dumbledore tell you that Tom made a choice that night?” Hermione preached.

“Dumbledore also said that he made that decision without the entire prophecy.” Harry reminded her.

“Whatever. He chose between you and Neville, right?” she insisted.

“Yeah, he chose me. I’m so lucky. What does that have to do with anything?” Harry snorted.

“Did you ever stop to think that maybe he had more information than Dumbledore was aware of at the time?” Hermione answered smugly.

“What information could he have possibly had that Dumbledore wouldn’t have been aware of?” Harry questioned incredulously.

“I believe that there was a second prophecy made,” she speculated carefully. “One you might not be ready to share with Ginny and Ron.” She paused for a great length of time, preparing for Harry’s outburst. “Fawkes has informed me that…” she paused again.

“Well,” Harry exploded. “Are you going to tell me what it was?”

“Yes,” Hermione responded, obviously stung by his outburst. “I thought he would be more excited about this.” “Tom had a seer working with him, one that he had converted to a Death Eater. There was a prophecy made about the heir of Gryffindor. I don’t know the exact wording of the prophecy, there wasn’t enough time for Fawkes to share it completely, but I know that it was the deciding factor in choosing you over Neville. I also know that Tom chose wrong.” She blanched at Harry’s querulous look. “I mean, he chose you as the heir of Gryffindor. He assumed that because of the ancestry of the Potters that you are the heir of Gryffindor. Fawkes is certain. Dumbledore is certain too. Harry, you aren’t the heir of Gryffindor. Neville is.”

“That’s impossible,” Harry bellowed. “Dumbledore told me that only a ‘true’ Gryffindor could have pulled the sword from the Sorting Hat.”

“You are a ‘true’ Gryffindor, in every sense of the word. You have bravery beyond measure. You have shown the utmost courage. You have persevered despite all of the obstacles Tom has placed in front of you. You are a ‘true’ Gryffindor.”

The blood drained from Harry’s face. He slumped to the ground, weak from shock. “There is a possibility that Neville was the one who was to defeat the Dark Lord. If Tom hadn’t made such an error in judgement, I might have been kept out of this whole bloody fiasco.”

“No, Harry,” Hermione whispered, “things would be very different.” She paused, contemplating telling him her honest opinion. “I think that had Tom interpreted the second prophecy correctly, you and Neville would both have died as babies.”

That was all it took. Harry passed out, and fell face first into the dirt. Ginny and Ron sprinted to his side. Ginny rounded on Hermione; her eyes flashing and her cheeks flushing. “What did you do to him?” she accused harshly.

“I told him the truth,” Hermione answered defiantly. “He will tell you when he is ready. I have to go. When he wakes up, tell him to prepare for the heir.” With that, she strode away and disappeared.

“What did she mean?” Ron asked with a bewildered look. “What do we do about him?”

There was a soft rustling of the leaves, followed by a whisper of a breeze. Ginny set about waking Harry while Ron paced back and forth muttering darkly. “I love her, but she is maddening sometimes. Why can’t she just explain what’s going on like a normal person would? It would only take a second or two more.”

Harry regained consciousness and forced himself into a sitting position, resting his head against Ginny’s shoulder. “Hey,” he spoke softly to Ginny. “I’m all right. Don’t be mad at Hermione. She was right not to tell you. I want to tell you both, but we must be quick about it. We have to finish before she returns.”

“How did you know she was gone?” Ron asked.

“I just felt her absence. I also know where she went, but that is of little consequence now. Let me tell you what we talked about. You need to know that the heir of Gryffindor is…” Harry fell silent as Hermione appeared.

“Neville!” Ginny announced, shock resonating in her voice. “What are you doing…”

“Neville is here to help us with a slight problem,” Hermione interjected before Ginny could finish her sentence.

“Neville is…” Ron babbled.

“Can’t anyone control themselves? Merlin!” Hermione barked. “Harry did you have to tell them before I got back? Couldn’t they have waited to find out until we found it?”

“What?” Neville asked. “What do they know that I don’t? Hermione, you just pulled me out of the house, away from Luna…” He started to blush as he realized what he had just admitted.

“Neville,” Hermione began gently. “I have some wonderful and exciting news for you. But, first, I need you to help me find something.”

“What do you want me to find?” Neville asked curiously.

“We don’t know,” Harry explained patiently. “You will know it when you find it.”

“How can I find something when I don’t know what it is?” Neville asked. “I wouldn’t even know where to look.”

“Ah, then it’s a good thing that Hermione seems to know where you need to look,” Ron huffed. “You can be sure that she’ll tell you exactly what to do.” Ron found a flat headstone and parked himself on it still fuming at Hermione’s insensitivity. “I am her boyfriend. She should have told me.”

“Neville, please come with me,” Hermione instructed, ignoring the glares from Ron and Ginny.

Harry found a nearby flat headstone and he joined Ron. Ginny wandered over to sit on Harry’s lap. They all watched interestedly as Neville wandered among the rows of graves. Suddenly Neville stopped dead in his tracks. “What is this?” he shouted.

Hermione, who was three rows over, rushed to his side. “What?” she asked him quickly. “What do you see?”

“It’s right there. Can’t you see it?” Neville stuttered, thinking for a moment that he had lost his mind.

“No. I can’t see it. None of us can.” Hermione searched for the right words. “He can handle it. Look at how brave he was at the Ministry.” “Neville, only the heir of Gryffindor can see Godric Gryffindor’s sword.” She waited for his reaction, hoping for the best.

“Oh.” Neville stated flatly. “You think I am the heir of Gryffindor. I can’t possibly be his heir. It’s simply not possible.” He lifted the sword from the dirt around the headstone. “See. It was sitting here plain as day. You just couldn’t see it because it was behind the headstone.”

Hermione glowed. Once Neville had pulled the sword from the dirt beside the gravestone, the concealment charm was broken. While the Horcrux had not been destroyed, Tom’s hold over the sword had been broken. The sword gleamed, it jewels sparkling in the afternoon sun.

Harry took one look at the sword and the glow on Neville’s face and his doubts were erased. Neville was the heir of Gryffindor. “Tom made a costly mistake.”

“How do we know this is a Horcrux?” Harry wondered aloud. “The sword has been hanging in Dumbledore’s office since the battle in the Chamber of Secrets during second year. Everyone who visited Dumbledore’s office has seen the bloody thing. How could Tom have gotten it to make it a Horcrux?”

“Harry, I can answer that, but I need to return Neville first. I promised Luna that we would have him back shortly,” Hermione announced.

Harry rose to take the sword from Neville, clapping him on the back and thanking him. Ginny gave him a brief squeeze and Ron shook his hand before he left. Neville, not sorry to go in the slightest, took Hermione’s hand. She whispered something to him and they disappeared.

Harry, Ron, and Ginny sat down on the headstones after Hermione left. They were content to stare at the priceless rubies encrusting the handle of the sword.

Just before Hermione returned, there was another soft rustling of the leaves. This time it was not followed by a gentle breeze, instead it was a great gust of wind. Hermione’s arrival covered the strangled whisper of irritation that came from the grove of trees on the border of the graveyard.

“That’s settled,” Hermione announced. “Now, take my hands and let me remind you of what you have forgotten.”

Harry and Ginny linked hand with Hermione and Ron. Hermione closed her eyes. Once the vision began, Hermione kept up a steady narrative in their minds.

Tom Riddle stood over Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets. She was on the verge of death, he on the verge of life. Harry arrived in the Chamber and fought the Basilisk. “There was a moment, there for a brief instant before Harry arrived, where Tom was alive and Ginny was dead. It was in that instant that Tom Riddle’s soul split.” Harry announced his dedication to Dumbledore and Fawkes appeared. Harry pulled the sword from the sorting hat and continued to fight the Basilisk. “When Harry pulled the sword, it became the only object in the Chamber that Tom could use to house his soul. I believe that he made the Horcrux while Harry was still fighting the Basilisk, thinking that it would give him an advantage.” Harry killed the Basilisk and stabbed the diary with the fang. “By the time Harry stabbed the diary with the fang, Tom was already fading back into a mere memory. Ginny had felt Harry’s presence and fought to regain control of her spirit.”

The vision faded and the questions began.

“How could Dumbledore have had the sword in his office without knowing it was a Horcrux?” Harry questioned, rattled by the idea that Ginny had been so close to death.

“How did it get to the graveyard?” Ginny asked.

“What do we do with it now?” Ron asked, bothered by the fact that he was now holding an object that had been made into a Horcrux with his sister’s ‘death’.

“I don’t have the answers to all of those questions,” Hermione admitted. “All I know is what we need to do to destroy it.”

“What do we need to do?” Harry asked, dreading her answer. “I think I know what she is going to say. Tom is evil.”

Hermione hesitated, knowing that one of them would have to complete the task ahead of them. She didn’t have the chance to say anything.

The voice behind the subtle breeze and the gust of wind emerged from the grove of trees. Harry reached for his wand and pushed Ginny behind him protectively. Hermione moved to Harry’s side, giving Ron a fair amount of space.

Peter Pettigrew rushed toward Ron, his clawed hand outstretched. “I can’t let the Dark Lord hurt them. I have caused enough pain.” Peter reached for the sword with his silver hand, intent upon taking it from Ron. “I won’t allow him to die at my hands.” Peter was within inches of the sword when Ron stepped aside.

Peter skidded past Ron, turned abruptly, and lunged for the sword. Ron thrust the sword upward to keep it out of Peter’s hands. “You are not getting this sword.” Peter missed the sword and swearing loudly, he tried again.

This time, he came at Ron from a different angle. “I must get that sword.” Ron was forced to whirl to his right, causing Peter to dodge to his left.

Harry was waiting, his wand at the ready, for an opportunity to stun Peter. He never got the chance. Every time that Peter would be out in the open, Ron would move and block Harry’s aim.

When the attack began, Ron’s goal was to protect the sword. He knew how important it was to their quest. He was willing to protect the sword with his life. Then Peter attacked him, hitting him directly in the stomach while reaching for the sword. If Ron had been any shorter, Peter would have been able to reach the sword. It was at that juncture that Ron’s goal changed. “I will stop him. He will not hurt anyone ever again. He is a traitor.”

Peter charged him one last time. Instead of moving out of his way, Ron swung the sword at him like it was a Quidditch bat. “You deserve to die.” In his mind, Ron could only see Ginny, lying on the floor of the Chamber, the life drained from her body. Ron’s mind was full of hate and vengeance as the flat blade of the sword made contact with Peter, knocking him to the ground.

“James…Lilly…Forgive me, Harry.” Peter gave a tiny gasp before tumbling headfirst into a headstone.

Ginny covered her ears to muffle the sound as Peter hit the marble of the headstone. Harry turned away, too sickened to watch. Ron was defeated, his head hanging, his eyes downcast. “I never meant to hurt him. What have I done? How could I have done this? I never meant to hurt him. How can I ever…I can’t…I took a life.” Hermione was the only one to notice Peter’s body, glowing the same acidic color as the dark mark, before fading to mist and blowing away on the barest of breezes.

Ron refused to meet Harry’s eyes. He refused to answer Ginny’s pleas. The only person he would acknowledge was Hermione, and still he would not look at her. While Ron’s pain was not as severe as Harry’s had been, Hermione knew that it would reach that level soon. He felt subhuman for thinking that Peter deserved to die.

Hermione knew that it was only a matter of time before he blamed himself for Peter’s death. “He didn’t kill Peter, but he will insist that he caused his death. We need to make sure he understands that there is a difference.” There was only one thing they could do. “We must share in his pain.” Hermione beckoned to Harry and Ginny. She took his hand, urging them to do the same.

Once more, in this sorrowful place, they called the corners. Sharing their grief, renewing their bond, and healing themselves though their shared love they were able to help Ron overcome his suffering.


Chapter Nine: Character Revealed


Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter Nine: Character Revealed

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Nine: Character Revealed


Harry couldn’t shake the feeling that something cataclysmic was looming on the horizon. His scar tingled annoyingly. “Leave!” he commanded.

Ron, whose eyes had not lost their dull sheen, quickly turned his attention to Harry. Hermione’s eyes widened in fear at the tone of Harry’s voice. Ginny’s body stiffened and her eyes glinted with determination. They all faced Harry, waiting for an explanation or a meeting place.

“We must leave now!” Harry insisted. “There’s no time to waste. Hagrid’s.”

Hermione held tightly to Ron and they disappeared. Harry waited, only staying long enough to see Ginny disappear before he vanished.

Harry did not have a chance to notice the Unicorn hair, bundled neatly and hanging from the walls. He didn’t even have a chance to see the extraordinarily large bed in the corner before he was knocked to the ground. Harry could hear Hermione and Ginny laughing heartily through the boisterous panting next to his ear. He tentatively reached out to scratch Fang behind the ears and pulled his hand back, covered in drool.

Ron chuckled at the sight of Harry on the floor, the lower half of his body crushed under the weight of the boar hound, his robes covered in dog slobber.

“Ginny, how about a hug?” Harry cracked, grinning at the first sign of life from his best friend.

“Maybe after three or four showers, a change of clothes, and a hug from Percy,” she quipped back.

“I thought you loved me,” Harry whined in mock despair.

“Not that much,” Ginny emphasized. “Maybe this much.” She held her thumb and forefinger a few centimeters apart, letting everyone know just how he rated in her book.

“Really,” Harry remarked offhandedly. “I love you this much.” He held his arms out to his side, as wide as they would go. “And, I’m going to prove it,” he bragged.

One moment, Harry was on the floor, only half-visible under Fang’s massive body. The next instant, he was standing in front of Ginny, his body flush against hers. He had his arms wrapped around her, pulling her closer before she had a chance to react. Seeing the humor in her eyes, he proceeded to rub his chest back and forth across hers, succeeding in smearing the slobber across the front of her robes. When she was satisfactorily gooey, he disappeared.

This time, he appeared in front of Hermione. Over the clamorous sounds of her protests, he pulled her into a tight hug. She struggled against him, making faces and squealing. She shrieked about disgusting boys and squirmed about causing her robes to be in an even worse condition than Ginny’s.

Harry took a step away from Hermione, drawing closer to Ron. He winked at Ron and they both chuckled at the indignant cries being emitted.

“You’re my best Mate. You know that. But, I’m not going to let you hug me,” Ron exclaimed.

Harry grinned fondly at Ron, who was acting more like Ron. He turned to Hermione and Ginny to offer his apologies and send up the white flag for a truce. His words died in his throat when he saw them huddled in the corner, ducked behind the corner of Hagrid’s rough-hewn table whispering madly.

When she looked up, Harry caught the twinkle in Ginny’s eyes that suggested she was up to no good. “Blimey, she looks like Gred and Forge. They both do. What are they up to? Whatever it is, I’m not getting in the way.” Harry stepped back and snorted when he saw the look of pure mischief on Hermione’s face. Her gaze was unwaveringly focused on Ron. Both Hermione and Ginny smiled at Harry when they noticed him watching, smiles that were pure impishness.

It wasn’t until Ron howled in disgust that Harry began to laugh in earnest. Ron was sandwiched in between his sister and his girlfriend. A poor place for him to be, seeing as he was now coated in drool. Between Harry’s laughter, Hermione’s giggles, Ginny’s guffaws, and Ron’s squirming protest, Fang must have felt left out. He leapt up from his bed and bounded across the room, intent on joining in on the fun. He reared up onto his hind legs and licked Ron’s face, leaving a dripping trail of goo from an ear to an eyebrow. He had also managed to plaster Ron’s hair to his head, leaving him looking like Hagrid had for the Yule Ball.

“You should style your hair like that all the time,” Harry proposed. He pointed at the left side of Ron’s head, shaking with his barely suppressed laughter.

Hermione took a step back, releasing Ron. Ginny did the same, moving to Harry’s side for protection. Hermione pulled her wand from the pocket of her robes and performed a simple cleaning spell. Her rich, chocolate eyes were filled with concern as she looked up at Ron. He nodded at her, forgiving her completely, while wrapping his arms around her waist. He pulled her close to his body, marveling at the fit. “She fits against me perfectly. It’s as if we were made to fit together, like pieces of a puzzle. It’s bloody amazing.” Ron noticed that Ginny’s eyes were scanning him from head to toe, as if she were a Healer observing a patient. It was then that Ron realized that he must be flushed from his thoughts about Hermione.

“All right?” Harry asked, his emerald eyes reflecting the same concern that had been so evident in Hermione’s eyes.

For the first time, Ron felt a small flicker of hope. “There is hope, however tiny, that my life can, and might, return to normal.” “No,” Ron admitted reluctantly, “but I think I might be.”

“I know you will be,” Hermione assured him. “It will just take time.”

The two couples stood a few feet apart, separated only by Hagrid’s giant pet. Fang sat between them obediently, his long tail swishing against the floor, creating a raspy, rhythmic beat. Fang nudged his head against Harry’s waist, gently at first, then more insistently when Harry didn’t respond quickly enough. Harry stretched out his fingers and scratched behind Fang’s ears. The scratching turned into thumping at Harry’s touch.

The repetitive motion was soothing. With an arm around Ginny and his hand smoothing the fur on Fang’s neck, Harry allowed his mind to drift. He relaxed the barriers he had erected around his heart. He permitted Dumbledore’s voice to echo in his mind. He reflected, yet again, on Dumbledore’s assessment of the Horcruxes. “The diary. Check. The ring. Check. The locket. Check. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are the only ones left. No idea about the Ravenclaw thing, but Dumbledore seemed sure that Tom had used that cup. The one that belonged to that old lady with the ancient house elf.” Harry’s eyes closed in concentration. “Smith. Her last name was Smith, but what was her first name? It was funny. Old fashioned, I think. Blast. What was her ruddy name?” Harry opened his eyes in frustration. Ron caught his eye and smiled. The twinkle in Ron’s eyes reminded him of Dumbledore the night they had seen that memory. “Hepzibah. Ha! That’s right, and that fibbing house elf was Hokey.”

“Harry, we can’t stay here forever,” Hermione remarked casually. “Hagrid might return and want his home back. Not to mention that he might be a tad surprised to see us here.”

“We don’t have to worry about Hagrid any time soon,” Ginny piped up to inform them. “I overheard Mum asking Dad about Hagrid’s ‘Secret’ mission.”

“Extendable Ears?” Hermione asked coolly with raised eyebrows.

“Yes,” Ginny replied with clenched teeth. “I don’t see anything wrong with using them for a good purpose.”

Harry chuckled at Ginny’s retort. “I should leave them to it, and rescue Ron while I’m at it” “Ron, let’s take Fang for a quick walk. He must hate being cooped up in here,” Harry suggested.

Ron nodded gratefully, happy to leave the awkward situation that was brewing between his sister and his girlfriend. “I’m not sure whose side I am expected to take.”

Harry, Ron, and Fang exited through the rear door of the hut and made their way through the giant vegetable patch on the way toward the Forbidden Forest. Ron and Harry walked in silence, still focused on the tension inside the hut, while Fang bounded ahead frolicking like a puppy.

When they were out of sight of the hut, Harry stopped abruptly. “Ron,” he called to Ron since he had not noticed that Harry had stopped walking, “wait up for a minute.”

Ron stopped at the edge of the woods and turned, his expression confused. Then a knowing look came over his face. “Harry, really, you didn’t need to bring me all the way out here to ask me if I’m all right,” he blurted. “I’m fine. I’m still a little shaken up. I can’t help but blame myself for what happened, which is more than I thought I could bear. I know that it wasn’t my fault and that I was just protecting you. I was protecting everyone really. I will be fine,” he admitted.

“While I am incredibly glad to hear that,” he began honestly. “It’s not why I needed to talk to you. I am immensely happy to hear that all is well in the ‘Land of Ron’.”

“What?” Ron gasped. “Are you trying to tell me that you think something is more important than my mental welfare? What could possibly be that important? I am both shocked and deeply wounded.” Ron kept a straight face, playing along to Harry’s joke.

He looked so serious and played the part so perfectly that Harry was momentarily stunned. “What?” Harry asked, completely bewildered at Ron’s sudden attitude change. “Maybe it’s another effect of the trauma.”

“I hope you don’t treat my sister like this,” Ron continued in a threatening voice.

Harry was frightened that Ron would follow in Ginny’s footsteps and display a burst of power. “One that would be directed at me for treating his sister poorly. I don’t want to deal with that by myself. Where’s Hermione when you need her?” It took Harry a moment to see the humor twinkling in Ron’s eyes. “I’m taking a huge chance that scowl is fake, but here goes nothing.” “Of course I would never treat Ginny like this. She’s much cuter than you are and I like snogging her.” Harry grinned at Ron to show that he was teasing.

Ron snorted in disgust at the thought of Harry snogging his baby sister. “What do you really want?” he asked seriously.

“Take my hand,” Harry instructed.

Without hesitating, Ron took his hand. “Now what?”

“Close your eyes and concentrate on what I am about to show you,” Harry responded quietly.

Harry closed his own eyes and brought the memory of Hepzibah Smith and the Hufflepuff cup to the foreground of his mind. The memory played like a Muggle movie on a big screen. It seemed shorter than it had when Dumbledore showed it to him. “I must not be able to remember the whole scene. I hope I’m not missing anything vital.”

“Did Dumbledore think that this cup is one of the Horcruxes?” Ron asked.

“Yes,” Harry told him truthfully.

“Do you think it is?” Ron asked, trying to determine what Harry had in mind.

“It certainly fits,” Harry admitted. “Dumbledore was sure, and I’m inclined to agree.”

Why share this with me?” Ron asked curiously. “Why not share it with Hermione? She’s way better at sorting this stuff out.”

“I need your help,” Harry divulged. “I think you might know where it is.”

“Why?” Ron asked, completely baffled at Harry’s logic. “Why me? Why would I know where it is?”

“I was thinking about your Dad,” Harry explained. “I figured that you probably paid more attention than Ginny did when he was talking about work. After all the raids the Ministry performed, your Dad may have come across it and not known its value.” Harry shrugged at Ron’s look of disbelief.

Ron recovered from the surprise of Harry reading his thoughts and nodded. “I’ve really got to get accustomed to that. More importantly, I really need to learn how to do it.” “You’re right. I am the only one who took an interest in Dad’s work. I used to listen to him tell me stories about the Manors he had raided. He told me about this shop once, one that catered to Dark Magic and sold unthinkable things. I don’t see how his stories…” Ron trailed off, his eyes focused on the trail that lead into the Forbidden Forest.

Harry wondered if Ron was remembering their disastrous trip, deep into the thick of the Forest. “Follow the spiders indeed. Thanks, Hagrid!”

“I’ve got it!” Ron blurted out, startling Harry.

I remember something that Dad said,” Ron explained. “I think I know where it might be.” He smirked at Harry and shrugged his shoulders. “If I’m right, Tom won’t’ win any points for originality.”

“We’ll have to talk about it later,” Harry grumbled, torn between wanting to return to his girlfriend and learning the whereabouts of a Horcrux. “The possible whereabouts of a Horcrux. Ginny is definitely in Hagrid’s hut.” “We should return to our lovely ladies.”

Ron whistled for Fang and the started back to the hut. Their hearts were full of hope and excitement. “If Ron is right, that leaves just one more Horcrux to find. That puts us one step closer to a New World.”

Upon opening the door, Harry was greeted with two unexpected visitors. Hedwig, who was perched on Hermione’s shoulder, hooted when Harry approached. On the other side of the cabin, shaking furiously and perched precariously on the edge of Hagrid’s bed, sat Aunt Petunia.

“What is going on here?” Harry demanded. “How did she get here?”

Ginny raised her hands in defense, as if trying to ward off Harry’s attack. “Hedwig arrived with an urgent note. When she saw that you weren’t here, she tried to give the note to me. She pecked me until I took it and read it. I saw that it was a note from Aunt Petunia and she was in a spot of trouble, you might say. It sounded pretty bad, so Hermione went to Privet Drive to get her.” Ginny had tried, and failed miserably, to sound chipper and nonchalant.

“The Death Eaters had her trapped in the bathroom when I arrived.” Hermione picked up where Ginny had left off. “They were after you. They were furious when you weren’t there, as you were scheduled to be. When they discovered that you had already left, they destroyed the house.”

Harry turned to his Aunt, who had tears mingled with streaks of mascara lining her cheeks. “Did they hurt you?” he asked tersely.

Petunia gave a small sob and her shoulders trembled. She steeled herself for the fury she anticipated, but there was nothing but concern in his eyes. “Take me back.” Her words were simple, but there was a definite finality in the tone of her voice.

Harry strode across the room, pulled his Aunt into a soothing hug and they disappeared.

The house was empty when they returned. Petunia did not bat an eye at the destruction and chaos. She merely made her way to the linen closet. One of the doors was hanging off its hinges, held in place by a single screw. She pulled the loose door off and tossed it aside. She pulled open the remaining door and began to toss sheets, pillowcases and towels onto the floor.

“Aunt Petunia,” Harry ventured.

“Not now, Harry,” she hissed. There was a growing pile of linens on the floor. When the shelves were bare, Petunia yanked on the bottom shelf violently. The shelf would not budge and Petunia began to sob. She pulled the shelf from another angle, and when that did not work, she hit it with her fist. Nothing happened. Already flushed from the exertion, Petunia proceeded to turn a violent shade of fuschia.

Harry stepped closer, avoiding her fists, and put a reassuring arm on her shoulder. “Let me help you,” he offered calmly. “Which shelves do you need removed?”

“All of them,” stammered Petunia. She had completely forgotten that he was a wizard.

“Step back,” Harry commanded. He waved his hand in front of the closet after Petunia had moved out of the way. One by one the shelves flew out of the closet and landed in a neat pile on the floor behind them. When the closet was bare, Petunia stepped forward.

“Vernon has no idea,” she muttered darkly. “He could never have understood. He would never accept the fact that she was my sister.” She pushed on the lower left side of the rear wall of the linen closet. A hidden door swung open revealing several boxes.

“You take the largest one and I’ll take the two smaller ones,” she reasoned. “We have to return to the others after…”

“I’ll just send these back to Hagrid’s hut,” Harry informed her, oblivious to the fact that he had just cut her off. “Then we will be able to return.”

“No,” Petunia practically shouted. “Oh my.” “What I mean to say is that one of these is private and must be dealt with before we return to the others.”

Harry shrugged at her outburst and held out his hand. “I was a lot worse when Sirius died.” She set the larger of the two smaller boxes on his open palm. It disappeared and Harry looked at her questioningly.

“The largest one also needs to go,” she informed him.

Harry pointed at the largest box, Petunia nodded and it disappeared.

“Harry,” she whispered, her voice faint. “I can’t explain this right now. I don’t want to have to relive this twice in the same day. I can only tell you right now that I am profoundly sorry. I though, with your current circumstances being what they are…” she trailed off, regret and sadness evident in her voice. “I just thought you might need these. Please don’t ask me where I got them. I will explain everything later.” With that, she held out the smallest box.

Harry reached out with trembling fingers, a thousand questions running through his mind. He took the box and tugged on the loose end of the pale green ribbon that tied the box closed. The ribbon slid smoothly from its knot. It floated to the ground, all but forgotten in Harry’s haste to see what lay inside. Harry ran his fingertips around the edge of the box, searching for a latch. Harry’s fingernail snagged on the clasp and he quickly pressed his thumbs against the spot.

The box sprang open revealing the valuable contents. Harry’s eyes welled with tears. He threw his arm around his Aunt and with one hand he closed the box. “Aunt Petunia, I need to take care of something before we leave.”

“Of course you do,” she agreed.

He made his way to his bedroom and found a scrap of parchment on the desk. He scribbled a hasty note and folded it neatly. He wrote one word on the outside of the parchment. He used the silky ribbon to tie the note to the box and without a word, he sent it where he knew it would be safe.

He returned to his Aunt straightaway, expecting her to be surveying the damage to her cherished house. When he found her, she was cleaning the scorch marks off of the kitchen wall. “Typical.” “Shall we return to Hagrid’s?” he asked her softly.

They arrived in Hagrid’s hut wrapped in an embrace, surprising Ron, Ginny, and Hermione. The boxes had arrived several minutes earlier. By the time Harry and Petunia arrived, Hermione was beginning to fret.

“I have some things need to discuss with the four of you,” Petunia said brusquely, as if trying to deny her emotions. “This is very hard for me, but I expect that it will be very hard for you too.”

Ginny nodded in understanding and conjured five chairs. The two couples took the seats opposite Petunia and waited for her to begin.

“I don’t know where to start,” Petunia admitted. “I have been hiding this for so long that I’m not sure what is real anymore. I suppose the best place to start is with the truth.”

Ron snorted before receiving a quelling look from Hermione.

Petunia stared at her feet, reluctant to say the next words out loud. “I loved my sister. I loved her more than I ever could have loved Vernon. When Dudley came along, he was the first person in my life that I had loved as much as Lily. After she and James died, I had to bury my feelings for her to protect Dudley.”

Harry’s head jerked up and Petunia saw sympathy in his eyes. “He knows what it is like to make difficult choices when it comes to someone you love. I knew he would understand.”

“The day you were left on my doorstep there was a note tucked into your blankets. Among other things, Albus told me that he would be returning shortly. True to his word, he returned the following day while Vernon was at work. He handed me the two boxes you see before you. He warned me that you might not be ready to open these for some time. In my foolishness, I never got to know you. How could I possibly know when you would be ready for them? Over the past weeks, I have seen a new side of you. I can barely recognize the person you have become. I can only hope that when I have the courage to look into the mirror, that I won’t be able to recognize myself either.” She reached down and pulled the flaps of the largest box open. She hesitated a second before veering away from the large box and picking up the smaller one instead. She handed it to Harry, unopened.

“What is in here?” Harry asked quietly.

“Letters,” Petunia answered him carefully. “There are letters from your Mum and Dad. There are letters from your grandparents. They are the only correspondence I have left from my family. I want you to have them. I want you to be able to know what your family was like.”

Harry smiled at her; grateful for not having anything thrust upon him in front of Ron. He didn’t want to start crying and carrying on like a young witch who scraped her knee. Ginny patted his knee lovingly, having heard his private thoughts, and then left her hand resting on his thigh.

Harry looked at his Aunt when he realized that the room was silent and Ginny’s fingers had turned into painful claws on his thigh. Petunia’s eyes had lost all color; even the irises were white. Suddenly, the white was gone, replaced with radiant blue flames. Slowly, Petunia began to speak. Her voice was deep and even.

“The Guardian will navigate the path. The Teacher will learn from The Evil. The Warrior will fall. The Leader will lose what never existed. Phenomenal power resides within the grasp of The One. The Future is here.” Petunia raised her arm and pointed directly at Harry.

Harry went rigid. He could no longer see his Aunt. He could no longer feel Ginny’s fingers digging into his skin. He was back in the graveyard, watching Voldemort rise from the cauldron. His scar felt as though it would cause his head to burst in pain. He could hear Voldemort’s high-pitched laughter in his head as he watched his dream unfold.

“Harry,” Ginny called to him desperately. “Harry!”

“Harry,” Ron called to him from a faraway land.

“Help him up,” Ginny commanded. “Set him on Hagrid’s bed.”

It took all the strength of Hermione, Ron, and Ginny to get Harry onto the bed. Petunia was still sitting in her chair, pointing her finger ominously in Harry’s direction.

Voldemort’s high-pitched laughter filled Hagrid’s hut. Ginny clamped her hands over her ears in an effort to drown it out. Ron curled up on the floor, rocking himself gently, humming to cover up the insane laughter.

Hermione turned to Petunia, her eyes cold with rage. Her hair flowed out behind her, creating an odd shadowing effect on her face. Hermione’s normally brown eyes glowed red. She held her arm out in front of her, the palm facing Petunia as she continued to laugh. Hermione’s palm glowed the same brilliant red as her eyes and there was silence.

“Hope,” Harry gasped. He sat bolt upright on the rough sheets of the bed. He jumped down, landing near Ron on the floor. He crouched down, bringing himself to Ron’s eye level. Ron was shaking off the effects of the maniacal laughter when Harry grabbed the front of his robes and whimpered. “Hope has always been unattainable.”

Chapter Ten: Happy Birthday, Husband

Back to index


Chapter 10: Chapter Ten: Happy Birthday, Husband

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Ten: Happy Birthday, Husband
Hermione left Harry’s side to help Petunia. “I can’t believe I did that. I could have hurt her.” Guilt weighted on her conscience. Hermione quickly pulled out her wand and magicked Petunia into her chair before reviving her.


While Hermione had been busy with Petunia, Ginny and Ron had guided Harry into his chair. When he seemed steady enough to sit on his own, they each sunk into the chairs on either side of him.


“What on earth is going on? What happened to Harry? He looks awful. Why is Hermione fussing over me?” Petunia blinked her eyes rapidly and stretched her legs. “I feel funny. I’d better get started, they are starting to look pretty impatient.”


“I had to return to the house to bring these boxes to you. Harry, I have already given you the letters. I think that they will be the key to an understanding of your family. I don’t think you will be able to understand yourself until you know who and where you come from.” She stopped talking, seeing the horrified look on Harry’s face. She glanced at Hermione, who had always been civil to her, and saw the distrust in her eyes. Petunia opened her mouth to ask them why they were all so upset.


Ginny leapt onto the chair, carefully maintaining contact with Harry. “How dare you,” she roared. “How dare you sit there and act as if nothing has happened. We were fools to have trusted you, you have betrayed us all.”


Petunia graciously ignored Ginny’s vicious words and turned her bewildered eyes to Hermione for guidance. Petunia blanched when she saw the look of pure rage simmering in her eyes. Hermione’s eyes had captivated Petunia and she was unable to move. She sat, trembling in fear, intent on maintaining eye contact. Somehow she knew it was the way to prove her innocence.


“You don’t know,” Hermione murmured thoughtfully after a long moment. She turned to Ginny and shook her head sadly. “She really doesn’t know.”


“How can you be so sure,” Ginny spat. “Look at what she did to Harry.”


Harry looked up for the first time. “I can’t let them think ill of her without knowing if it’s true.” He delved into his Aunt’s eyes seeking the truth. He was not surprised to see absolutely nothing. There was not a trace of deceit or deception in her hazel eyes.


“She’s not lying,” Harry declared firmly.


“Will someone please explain to me what is going on?” Petunia cried. “What happened?”


“Like you…”Ginny began harshly.


“No, Ginny,” Ron interrupted. “It won’t do us any good. Let it be and let her continue.”


Ginny sat down in a huff. Harry nodded his agreement and Petunia smiled wanly at his small show of support. She pointed at the smaller box between Harry’s feet. “Your letters are in there.” Then, she pointed to the larger box between Ron’s legs. He used his yeti-sized feet to shove the box closer to her, putting it within Petunia’s reach.


She smiled a genuine smile of relief and acceptance. She bent down to retrieve the contents of the box, piece by piece. Before she removed anything, she briefly met the eyes of each of the teenagers sitting across from her. “I’d better tell them a little about where I got this stuff from.”


“I hardly know where to begin. There have been so many lies. The beginning is complicated, too complicated in fact. I will start with the day the Dumbledore returned to Privet Drive. He came bearing the two boxes you see.” She put subtle emphasis on the word two, glancing at Harry to make sure he understood her meaning. She knew his intentions and meant to keep the third box a secret until he allowed her to share the knowledge. “The smaller box, he told me, was for Harry. The larger box was for Harry’s friends. There would be a time when Harry would arrive with his friends, seeking shelter and offering their help. When that time came, it was up to me to get to know each of them and decide how to distribute the boxes contents.” She paused again, this time seeking out reassurance form Hermione.


“What’s in the box?” Hermione asked, the strain of being polite evident in her voice.


“There are several things. I would like to present each of you with your appointed gift. I hope that they will be seen as a reminder of past events, and a guide for future ones.” Petunia risked a glance at Ginny, trying to gauge her reaction.


“Will you just get on with it,” Ginny barked impatiently.


“Ron, I offer you James' collection of strategy theories. His collection includes books on Quidditch strategy and maneuvers. It also includes handwritten notes translating each of the maneuvers and strategies into real world applications. I have a feeling that, while the Quidditch books will be more fun to read, James’ notes maybe more helpful and practical. I know that you will find much use in this gift. Use it wisely.”


Petunia reached into the box and pulled out a very large volume, nearly as large as some of the books from the restricted section. Then she removed a thick roll of parchment secured with a wide ribbon.


“That must be fifty feet of parchment,” gasped Ron.


“It might be,” Petunia admitted. “I wouldn’t know. I’ve never seen fifty feet of parchment before.”


Ginny snorted derisively, shaking her head at Petunia’s ignorance of the wizarding world.


“Hermione, I offer you the gift of Lily’s knowledge of charms. Her diary was found buried under the rubble, untouched by the surrounding destruction. It contains all of her notes on healing spells and her research on rare charms. Your thirst for knowledge will be sated, and you will have the benefit of her never-ending assistance.”


She reached into the box for a second time, withdrawing a thin journal.


At first, Hermione’s face registered disappointment. Harry almost chuckled as Hermione’s thought came across loud and clear. “She was expecting something twice as thick as the one Ron’s got in his hands.”


Petunia gave a quiet sob as she handed the journal to Hermione. “Lily. I’m sorry I failed you. I will not fail Harry. I promise you.”


The first thing Hermione noticed was that the soft pastel purple color of the satin journal cover was not plain. There was an interesting pattern decorating the cover. The more she stared at the pattern, the more intricate it seemed. Suddenly the beauty of the pattern swam into place, forming a single word.


“Diligo,” Hermione breathed.


The journal opened and Hermione was rendered speechless.


“Bigger than you anticipated?” Harry snickered.


Although Hermione longed to bury her nose in Lily’s journal and surface only when she had read each and every last word, she followed Ron’s lead. She settled the journal protectively on her lap and waited for the unveiling of Ginny’s gift.


“Ginny, I saved your gift for last. Not because it is the best, I don’t want to place such values on the gifts, but because it is the dearest to my heart. Harry told me about the Prophecy. As far as I can tell, Dumbledore was certain that love would play a central role in Harry’s quest. I think that your role in helping Harry understand love is pivotal.”


Ginny watched her with curiosity. Then she turned to Harry with an inquisitive look in her eyes. “What does she mean?”


“You have heard that knowledge is power?” Harry joked, trying to prevent Ginny from asking the wrong question.


“I’m offering you a special sort of power,” Petunia explained. “I have a special gift for you. It is the most powerful one I have to offer. I offer you the gift of love.”


She handed Ginny a small journal, much like the one she had given to Hermione.


Ginny turned the pale blue journal over slowly. Unlike the other journal, this one held no markings on the fabric cover.


“Who are you?” A voice echoed in her head. The voice did not sound familiar and Ginny wondered if she was hearing things. “Who are you?” the voice repeated urgently.


“Ginny Weasley,” Ginny answered somewhat shyly.


“Do you love my son?” Lily’s voice sounded faint in Ginny’s head.


“Yes,” Ginny remarked simply.


“Are you prepared to fight by his side?” Lily continued.


“I’m prepared to die, if need be,” Ginny retorted. “Are you satisfied?”


“Yes,” Lily chided gently. “One last question, if you wouldn’t mind humoring me. Why do you love him?”


“I can’t explain why. I just know it deep within my heart,” Ginny admitted.


Ron stared, struck dumb by Ginny’s proclamation. He turned to Hermione and pulled her onto his lap protectively. He crushed his mouth to hers and kissed her passionately. “Don’t ever let me catch you saying something like that,” he commanded harshly.


“Why not?” Hermione responded, still breathless from the kiss. “She feels it from the bottom of her heart. It shows in her eyes when she looks at him. I feel that way too. Don’t you?” Hermione looked crushed at Ron’s callousness.


“I do feel that way. “Mione, you have to know that I feel that way. I would die to protect any of you. That doesn’t mean I want to think about it,” he hissed. “You don’t have to share every feeling you are having just for the sake of sharing, you know.”


While Ron and Hermione were bickering, Harry and Ginny were caught in a trance like state. Harry could not tear his eyes away from Ginny while she was deep in conversation with the journal. He desperately tried to grab onto the conversation, but it was protected from just such an intrusion.


“I offer you the gift of love,” Lily’s voice hummed in Ginny’s mind. “Please accept it as a token of my appreciation.”


“I accept,” Ginny proclaimed. “Thank you. I will treasure it.”


Ginny clutched the journal to her chest, unaware of the tears streaming down her face. Harry pulled her into his arms and rocked her while she recovered.


“I am so sorry,” she whispered to Petunia as she began to weep. “I know that you would not cause Harry any harm. Please forgive me.”


“Of course, Ginny. Of course I forgive you.” Petunia rose from her seat and attempted to console her.


She embraced Ginny and Harry together. Ron and Hermione, done bickering, saw the awkward attempt Petunia was making and decided to help. They encircled Harry, Ginny and Petunia in a tremendous hug. Once everyone had made contact, a dazzling light glowed from the center of the group. Petunia whimpered briefly before Harry smiled at her.


“We’ll be okay. We will all be just fine,” he assured them. “I’ve got this feeling.”


“I hate to break up the party,” Petunia gasped, “but I can’t breathe.” Once everyone let go and took a step back, she continued. “I should be getting home soon. I’ve been gone for quite a while.”


Harry agreed and asked the others to meet him in the garden shed outside the Burrow. “I have to take her home. I’ll only be a second.”


Petunia bid them all a fond farewell, stopping to hug Ginny especially tightly before she left. She reached for Harry’s hand and they disappeared.


Ron and Hermione turned to Ginny. “Are you sure you’re all right?” Hermione asked.


“I’ll be fine,” Ginny answered. “I’m just so happy that she trusted me with such a gift.”


“Petunia?” Ron asked with a strange expression on his face.


“No,” Ginny replied, chuckling at Ron’s denseness. “Lily. She trusts me with Harry’s life.”


Hermione pulled Ginny into a hug, holding her tightly and whispering into her ear. Ron stood off to the side, feeling like a complete git for not having a clue as to what they were whispering about.


Harry left his Aunt in the kitchen, getting ready to cook dinner. He had repaired the house as best he could. He thanked her warmly before he left, sensing she needed to be alone after the stress of the day.


He arrived in the shed only moments after Ron, Hermione and Ginny. They all walked the short way to the front door of the Burrow. A silent house greeted them.


“That’s odd,” Ron remarked. “Where is everyone?”


“They can’t be in bed,” Ginny added. “It’s still early.”


Maybe something happened,” Hermione offered.


“I don’t think so,” Harry argued. He indicated the cleanliness of the house. “I think there would be a mess if something had happened.”


They had made it through the kitchen and were just about to cross the threshold into the sitting room when Harry heard a noise that caused him to draw his wand. He reached behind his back to grab Ginny and alert her to the possibility of danger. His hand connected with her wand and he knew that Ron and Hermione were also prepared.


“Surprise!” boomed several voices at the same time candles were lit in the sitting room. Harry stowed his wand quickly as not to startle anyone.


“Happy Birthday, Harry!” called Mr. And Mrs. Weasley.


“Congratulations, Harry,” roared Fred.


“You made it,” George shouted.


“Spiffing good to see you,” they called in unison.


“What did you guys do?’ Ron complained. “Did you light a thousand candles?”


“They’re a new invention,” George explained.


“Roman Candles,” Fred snickered mysteriously. “New invention.”


“Just wait,” George laughed.


Ron and Hermione took a step away from the nearest candle. Harry just grinned.


Mr. and Mrs. Weasley walked toward Harry and Ginny. Harry was nervously looking at his feet when they approached. He heard Mr. Weasley clear his throat. “We know your birthday isn’t until tomorrow Harry,” Mrs. Weasley explained. “We wanted to celebrate tonight because tomorrow is a big day.”


Ginny looked at her mother questioningly, but Mrs. Weasley refused to meet her eyes. “She is still mad at me.”


“Harry,” he began. “Ginny, we are glad to have you home. Happy Birthday, Harry. Could I talk with you for a moment?”


“Sure,” Harry mumbled his face pale in the candlelight.


“If Harry’s going with Dad, can I go talk to the twins?” Ginny asked her mother. “I haven’t had a chance to talk with them about their new inventions yet.”


“Sure, dear. I’m sure I’ll talk to you again later,” Mrs. Weasley hugged her and watched as she skipped over to where Ron and Hermione were still talking to the twins.


Mr. Weasley guided Harry across the room, out of Ginny’s hearing. “Molly told me that you have something to ask me. She wouldn’t tell me what it was, so I am assuming it must be important. She is surprisingly good at keeping secrets, though she doesn’t usually keep them from me.”


Harry thought he heard a bit of disapproval in Mr. Weasley’s voice. “I’m sorry that she kept it a secret, Mr. Weasley. I didn’t intend…”


“Harry, please call me Arthur,” Mr. Weasley interrupted. “What happens between Molly and I is our business. You didn’t cause anything. She chose her own path. Now, what did you want to ask me?”


“Mr. Weasley, Arthur, I wanted to ask you for Ginny.” Harry stood, rooted to the spot, hoping that Mr. Weasley wouldn’t deck him.


“Ginny’s what?” Mr. Weasley asked, thoroughly confused.


“I want to marry Ginny,” Harry said plainly. “I love her more than anything. I want to make her my wife.”


“Oh. I see. And you have already discussed this with Molly?” Arthur asked.


“No Sir, I haven’t,” Harry replied edgily. “I sent her a note, asking her for some help.”


"Are your intentions pure?” Arthur asked him


“Yes,” Harry replied without hesitation.


“Ginny’s not in any sort of trouble, is she?” Arthur quizzed Harry, searching for something.


"No sir. We haven’t. I care about her more than that.” Harry was worried that the conversation was not going the way he’d hoped.


“Harry, we have a problem here,” Arthur scolded. “You need to call me Dad.”


Harry dared to raise his eyes to meet Arthur’s. “You mean…I can?”


Arthur nodded and pulled Harry close. “I wouldn’t have it any other way, son.”


“Thank you, Dad.”


They made their way back across the room to where Molly was standing. “Miss us?” Arthur asked coyly.


Molly glanced at him, a worried look in her eyes. “Yes, we did. Did your talk go well?”


“Yes it did,” Arthur declared. “It went very well.”


“Mum,” Harry whispered, “I believe you have something of mine that I need.”


Molly sighed, but reached into the pocket of her robes and handed Harry the box he had sent her the day before. “It is all set for tomorrow. You are sure about this, aren’t you?” She smiled at him fondly. “If you’re not sure, plans can be changed.”


“I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life.” “I am sure,” Harry told her adamantly.


Harry crossed the room, all sounds of the party drowned out by the beating of his heart. He barely noticed the partygoers who were wishing him a ‘Happy Birthday’. He brushed by Fred and George. He stopped in front of Ginny. His heart was pounding in his chest. “Who knew this would be so hard?”


“Ginny,” Harry squeaked. Thump. “I have something I would like to talk to you about.” Thump.


“Sure, Harry. What is it?” Ginny asked him, blissfully unaware of the knocking sound coming from Harry’s chest.


“I…” Thump “was…” Thump “wondering…” Thump. Thump. Thump. “Iwantedtoknowifyou…” Bang. Bang. Bang. “What I mean to say is…Will you marry me?” Thump.


“What?” Ginny exploded. “Harry, this better not be your idea of a joke.”


Harry felt a severe pain in his heart at Ginny’s words. “Here I am trying to propose and she thinks it’s some sort of joke. Who does she think I am? Even Fred and George wouldn’t do something so heartless. “It’s no joke. I want to marry you tomorrow. We’ll have it right here at the Burrow. It’s all planned, all you have to do is say ‘yes’.”


“You…you’re serious.” Ginny mouthed. “Yes. Of course I’ll marry you.”


Harry felt his heart return to normal and he pulled her to him. He lifted her from the ground and spun her around the room. He didn’t hear the shouts, or the clapping, or the gagging noises the twins were making. Harry could only hear his heart beating steadily. Harry didn’t notice Ron hugging Hermione, or Bill slapping Charlie on the back. He could only see the love in Ginny’s eyes. He kissed her gently and set her back onto the floor. When she had recovered from his enthusiasm, Harry slipped a small diamond ring onto her finger.


His eyes took in the scene, his ears hearing everything. One by one everyone stopped by to wish Harry and ‘Happy Birthday’ and congratulate him on his pending nuptials. Ginny stood by his side, her fingers laced in his. She smiled at Professor McGonagall as she offered her congratulations. “It’s nice to see you, Professor.” Ginny blurted.


“It is indeed,” Professor McGonagall replied. “I have a special present for the two of you tomorrow after the wedding.”


"Thank you,” Harry exclaimed. “But we weren’t expecting anything. You didn’t have to get us anything.”


“I didn’t,” Professor McGonagall grinned. “Be patient. I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.”


She wandered away to enjoy the rest of the party. Harry watched her as she stopped to talk to Professor Lupin and Tonks. He grinned wickedly when he saw Professor Lupin holding Tonks’ hand. He laughed aloud when Tonks turned toward him and her hair flashed blonde for a few seconds.


“I get it,” Harry mouthed. “Congratulations.”


The party went long into the night, with people coming and going until the very end. Harry and Ginny tiredly made their way up the stairs after everyone had left. “Good night, Ginny.” Harry kissed her cheek and left her at the door to the room she was sharing with Hermione.


“Good night, Harry,” She responded before slipping into the room.


Ron and Hermione had stayed behind to finish cleaning up. When the sitting room was clean, and they were thoroughly exhausted they trudged up the stairs. “Good night, Hermione.” Ron bent down to kiss her cheek but she had turned her head. Ron’s eyes widened in surprise when Hermione kissed him deeply. Once his mind registered the fact that his eyes were open, he closed them immediately. He tried to pull Hermione closer to extend their snogging session, but she pulled away from him.


“Good night, Ron” she whispered. “Sleep tight.”


Ron had a spring in his step and he continued up the stairs to his room. Harry was already in bed when he got there. “Hey Mate,” Ron called out softly just in case Harry was already asleep. “You awake?”


“Yes,” Harry grumbled. “I can’t sleep.”


“Can I tell you something?” Ron asked.


“Sure,” Harry grunted, expecting a lecture.


“You’re my best friend. I’m glad it’s you. I know you’ll treat her right.”


Harry was overwhelmed with emotion. “I’m glad you’ll be there tomorrow. I’m a mite nervous.”


“You should be,” Ron cracked. “Have you seen Ginny when she’s mad? You’re barking for taking her for better or for worse.”


Harry was grateful that Ron was trying to lighten the situation. He needed to calm down so he could sleep. He had asked Molly to plan for an early morning wedding. There would be a lot to do after the wedding and he didn’t want to inconvenience the Weasleys more than he had to.


He fell into a fitful sleep, wishing for one of Madam Pomfrey’s sleeping draughts. “I would even take one of Snape’s Draughts of Living Death.”


The morning came quickly and a very impatient Mrs. Weasley rushed Harry out of bed. He barely had time to shower and change into his robes before she was stuffing some pieces of toast into his hands. “Eat these,” she commanded. “You’ll need something in your stomach before the ceremony. I’m sure you’re nervous enough now, but when the time comes it’ll only get worse. You’ll need your strength. I don’t want you passing out in front of everyone.”


Harry marveled at how quickly Molly had prepared everything. The yard was an exact duplicate of Bill and Fleur’s wedding. Harry was grateful that he hadn’t had to place the Clabberts in the trees this time.


He stood at the front of the tent, on the left side of the aralus. Waiting for all of the guests to seat themselves. He kept a close eye out for Ron and Hermione. He hadn’t seen them all morning long. “Hermione’s probably been helping Ginny, but where is Ron? I thought he’d be here with me. I wonder if this is how Bill felt.”


Harry smiled at the thought. Bill had already gone through this and survived. “I can do this. I love her.”


Everyone was seated before Ron showed up. He wore the same robes as Harry. Actually, they’re the same robes that Bill was wearing at his wedding. Suddenly Harry understood how Molly had prepared everything so quickly.


He smiled at Arthur, silently thanking him for marrying such a wonderful witch. Arthur nodded at him, smiling at his soon-to-be-son’s terrified expression.


Mrs. Weasley appeared in the front row, next to her husband. Harry remembered that was when everything was to start. He started scanning the garden for any sign of Ginny or Hermione. “Where are they?” he muttered to Ron under his breath.


“I don’t know,” Ron hissed. “Be patient, your ceremony is different than Bill’s.”


Hermione appeared next to Ron, her face flushed. “Sorry,” she whispered urgently. “We had a minor mishap.”


When Ron looked at her questioningly, she shrugged. “It seems that Ginny didn’t care for Fleur’s robes and when she tried them on, they shrunk. She said she got the idea from Harry.” She raised her eyebrows in disapproval.


“What?” Harry exclaimed softly. “I never…Oh, she means when Aunt Petunia tried to force Dudley’s sweater over my head. Oops.”


Hermione glared at him, but chuckled under her breath. Her merriment was interrupted when Ginny appeared on the right side of the aralus.


She was a vision in white. He dress was sheer, floating on the slightest breeze. It looked to be made out of the finest threads available. There were no embellishments, no glitter or sparkle to the dress. Where Fleur’s dress had been long, Ginny’s dress was short. It fell to her knees, showing off her creamy legs. Her hair was loose, the wild curls allowed to course down her back. The tendrils contrasted perfectly with the shimmery material of the dress. She also had on a shawl, covering her shoulders completely.


Harry noticed the shawl and looked deep into Ginny’s eyes. “Of course, he thought, the Unicorn might be a dead giveaway. She is so clever.”


Harry and Ginny faced each other, standing across the aralus, and entwined their hands. A Ministry Official appeared in front of the couple.


“Are you prepared to begin?” he asked.


“We are,” Harry replied.


“I understand that you are interested in the complete ceremony. Is that correct?” he asked as he doubled checked the schedule that had appeared in his hand.


“Yes,” Ginny responded. “We have everything prepared.”


“Please kneel,” he instructed.


Ginny kneeled first, trouncing down on the aralus. Harry kneeled across from her slowly. He was afraid he would tip it over since he weighed so much more than she did.


“When you are ready,” the Official told them. Please link your hands.”


Harry captured Ginny’s right hand between his palms and then Ginny pressed the palm of her left had against the back of Harry’s right hand. At first, Harry had trouble understanding what the Ministry Official wanted him to do. When their hands were in place, there was a faint glow around the couple. Together they spoke the words of their unbreakable marriage vows.


“Make of our hands, one hand.” A ring of light encircled their hands. It appeared tilted to the left as it rotated around their hands.


“Make of our hearts, one heart.” A second ring of light encircled their hands. This one appeared to be tilted to the right as it also rotated around their hands.


“Make of our lives, one life.” A third ring of light encircled their hands. This one rotated around their hands like the Prime Meridian on a Muggle globe.


“Now it begins. Now we start. One hand. One Heart. Even death won’t part us now.” The bands expanded to form a glowing sphere. It glowed brightly in the silence.


After a few long seconds, the light faded. There was a simple gold charm bracelet on Ginny’s left wrist. Harry had a thin black cord around his left wrist. “That looks like dragon hide.” The Ministry Official took note of their wrists, nodded and asked them if they were ready to continue.


Harry nodded bravely. “I’ll go first,” he stated boldly.


The Ministry Official nodded again. “When you’re ready.”


“For all those times you stood by me. For all the truth you make me see. For all the joy you bring to me. For all the wrongs you make right. For every dream you’ve made come true. For all the love I’ve found in you. You are my strength when I am weak. You are my voice when I can’t speak. You give me wings and make me fly. I’ve lost my faith and you gave it back to me. You stood by me and now I stand tall. I have your love and now I have it all. You’ve been a light in the dark, shining your love into my life. You are my inspiration. I love you, Ginny.” When he was done there was silence. He slid a thin gold band onto her left ring finger. Ginny had a single tear running down her cheek.


“Are you ready?” asked the Ministry Official. “Or do you need a moment?”


“I’m ready,” sniffed Ginny.


She gathered all the love she felt for Harry and steadied herself on the aralus. “Maybe it’s intuition, but some things you just don’t question. Like in your eyes, I see my future in an instant. I’ve found my best friend. There’s just no rhyme or reason, only a sense of completion. And in your eyes, I see the missing pieces I’m searching for. I knew I loved you before I met you. I’ve been waiting all my life. I am complete now that I’ve found you. I love you, Harry.” She slid a second thin gold band onto Harry’s left ring finger.


They arose from the aralus and faced the crowd. The Ministry Official announced them as Mr. and Mrs. Potter, then vanished.


Harry and Ginny walked down the center of the tent, greeting everyone. Professor McGonagall hung back, waiting until everyone had chatted with the newlyweds. When Harry and Ginny finally made it to where she was standing, she smiled at their exhausted faces. “You will have some company soon,” she stated mysteriously. “But first, I think that you have a task to complete.” She winked at them before continuing under her breath. “I’m sure that you will not have a single problem passing your Apparition test. Am I right? Good, because here comes the test proctor now.”


True to her word, a Ministry Official arrived next to Professor McGonagall and greeted Harry and Ginny. “Are you ready for your Apparition test?”


“You make house calls now?” Harry inquired snidely.


“This is a special request, Mr. Potter,” The Official informed him curtly.


“I’m not of age yet,” Ginny told him.


“You are married now, Mrs. Potter, therefore you are of age. Shall we begin?”


Harry and Ginny asked if they were to Apparate at the same time. The Official told them to Apparate from the tent to the trunk of the Magnolia tree some fifteen feet away. “Please do not embed yourselves in the trunk of the tree. I don’t want to have to call in reinforcements.”


Harry scowled at his rudeness and disappeared with a ‘pop’. Ginny stuck her tongue out at him before she disappeared with a ‘pop’. They each ended up next to the trunk of the Magnolia tree. They had appeared so close together that Harry wiggled a finger and tickled Ginny’s ribcage.


The Official, unable to find any fault with their skills, left after he made them Apparate twice more.


Professor McGonagall congratulated them, trying to keep a straight face. “I am so proud of you. I know that you have been working on that for months. I’m sure that you both remembered all of the steps. Destination, Determination and…What’s the last one? I always forget.” She broke into uncharacteristic giggles. “I don’t envy you guys at all today.” She pointed at the strap of Ginny’s dress. “Missing something?”


Ginny looked around frantically, searching for her shawl. Harry grinned at her, pointing to a low hanging branch of the Magnolia tree. Her shawl hung on the lowest section of the branch, weightless on the morning breeze. She flushed down to her toes. “I’m sorry, Harry. I didn’t even notice.”


"It’s all right love, they were bound to find out sooner or later. Now’s as good a time as any to tell them. Everyone is here.” He indicated the highest-ranking members of the Order. “Even Neville and Luna are here.” He pointed to the back of the tent where they were deep in discussion.


“Should I get Ron and Hermione?” she asked.



"Nope,” Ron called. “We’re here already. Interesting show you put on there.”


“We’re ready,” Hermione told them quietly while she removed her robes. Underneath, she wore a simple sundress, much like the one Luna was wearing.


Harry looked at Ginny, pulled her close and whispered in her ear. Then he pointed at Professor Lupin and Tonks. She laughed and nodded. She disappeared. Harry pointed his wand at his throat. “Sonorous,” he called.


With his voice magically amplified, Harry quickly got everyone’s attention. “Ginny and I have an announcement to make. It is a rather important one that also concerns Ron and Hermione. In fact, it will affect everyone here. I am asking that everyone gather around so I don’t have to yell anymore.” He removed the charm and spoke in a normal voice. “Actually, I’m sure I will have some explaining to do later, but for right now I think a demonstration is in order.”


Harry noticed that Professor Lupin was staring at him with a certain degree of apprehension lining his face. Harry smile, thinking about what his poor teacher had coming to him. “Professor Lupin, if you would,” Harry encouraged, motioning him and Tonks forward.


The crowd parted and Remus and Tonks found themselves surrounded, in the center of a large circle of onlookers. Everyone seemed to be waiting for Harry’s demonstration to begin. Harry turned to Ron and Hermione. “Are you ready?” he asked carefully.


“Ready,” Ron choked, scared to death of his mother’s fury.


“Ready,” Hermione called, sounding infinitely more sure than Ron.


“Let’s do this,” Harry announced. “Professor Lupin, I believe I made you an offer I never followed through on. I intend to fix that right now. How about that horse?” Harry refrained from bending over in hysterics at the look on Professor Lupin’s face when Ginny appeared in her Unicorn form in between Professor Lupin and Tonks.


“I don’t believe it is a horse,” he bellowed,” but I think it will do just fine, don’t you?”


Tonks’ hair took on a green hue at Harry’s words, but tuned an extreme shade of lime green when the words actually sunk in.


“What is the meaning of this?” Professor Lupin asked. “I shouldn’t be able to touch a Unicorn. Neither should Nymph…” Remus trailed off when he realized what he had announced about his relationship with Tonks.


Harry and Ron hooted while Hermione calmly pointed at the Unicorn. “Ginny, the game is up. They know you’re not a normal Unicorn.”


The Unicorn shimmered out and Ginny appeared beside Harry silently. “Well, I had to stand close to him to startle him,” she declared. "Of course they knew I wasn’t a normal Unicorn. Anyone with half a brain would have known.”


Everyone was staring at them as they chatted.


“They’re acting like this is normal for them,” Molly thought. “It can’t be normal,” she reasoned with herself. “How could that be normal?”


Ginny saw the look on her mother’s face and pointed at Ron. “He can do it too, you know” she pouted. “Watch what he can do.”


Ron trembled. “Damn Ginny, why did she have to put him in this position?” He closed his eyes, avoiding looking at his mother, and disappeared.


A magnificent Albatross soared across the clear sky. A few seconds later an Eagle joined him. They glided together for a few short moments before returning to the ground. They both reappeared, standing next to each other, holding hands tightly.


Up until the point where Harry disappeared and reappeared as Phoenix on Professor McGonagall’s shoulder, everything was going fairly well. Landing on Professor McGonagall’s shoulder had startled her, to say the least, and caused her to shriek in fright.


He disappeared again and reappeared where he had originally been, his body stiff with worry.


Mrs. Weasley was looking as if she might faint. Tonks was looking at them with newfound respect. Professor Lupin looked as if he might try to strangle Harry for not telling him about this sooner. Neville and Luna looked unimpressed as they had already seen the transformations. The twins simply looked jealous. The identical looks on their faces gave Harry the distinct impression that they would soon be creating a new joke shop item. That idea gave Harry another idea, a great idea. “I’ll have to talk to them later,” he noted.


After Professor McGonagall calmed down somewhat, she got the attention of everyone present who was a member of the Order. She asked them to join her in a meeting. Since everyone who was present was a member of the Order except Neville, Luna, and the quartet, everyone ended up being invited to the meeting.


Quickly Harry explained about the Phoenix Charm they had performed. He told them about most of the powers, conveniently leaving a few things out, including all references to the Horcruxes. When he was done, Professor McGonagall took over the meeting.


“I wanted to let you know that the Order will be offering some classes starting tomorrow. There will be eight classes offered along with a strict training regiment. I am encouraging you to attend, Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Mr. Weasley, and Miss. Granger. Mr. Longbottom, you and Miss. Lovegood are also invited to attend. I am sorry for the short notice, but we were unable to contact you while you were on your mission.” Professor McGonagall waited for a reaction from the students.


“Sounds good to me,” Harry replied.


“Will I be caught up then?” Ginny asked.


“Since we are not sure if Hogwarts will reopen for the next term, we are considering that these will be your NEWT classes. When you finish the intensive training program, you will have finished your seventh year at Hogwarts. All of you.” Professor McGonagall nodded at Neville, who had his hand raised in the air.


“Professor, will Herbology be a subject?” Neville inquired.


“Yes,” Professor McGonagall responded. “There will be several additional classes to those that are normally offered at Hogwarts. I hope I don’t have to tell you what an incredible opportunity this is. I cannot remember a time when so many teachers and experts have offered their services in such a manner.”


“It’s settled then,” Harry proclaimed. “Tomorrow we return to Hogwarts.”


Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna all nodded in agreement.


It was Mrs. Weasley who broke the silence after Professor McGonagall’s announcement. “You’d better get packed,” she asserted. “You will have to travel to Hogwarts tonight. How are they getting there Minerva? Surely the train doesn’t operate this time of year.”


“We’ve got that covered, Mum,” Harry reminded her. “Don’t worry about us. We’ll be fine.” He walked closer to her, leaning in to whisper in her ear. “I will protect them. I promise.”


Harry sauntered back to Ginny and led her up to the house to pack. Ron and Hermione followed. Neville and Luna joined them in the house later because they had no need to pack. Professor McGonagall had them pack before they left for the wedding.


Harry finished packing before Ron and decided to see if he could help Ginny pack. Hermione must have had the same idea because he crossed paths with her on the stairs. “Hey Sis,” Harry teased. “You were pretty awesome out there. You stole the show right out from under Ron.”


Hermione blushed prettily and thanked him before she ran up to Ron’s room.


“I wonder why she didn’t chastise me for scaring Professor McGonagall. She must have something else on her mind.”


He reached Ginny’s room and saw her stuffing things into her trunk haphazardly. She heard him enter the room and turned to him, brushing a curl out of her eyes. “I hope I can make her happy. I know I don’t deserve her.”


“You do make me happy,” she reminded him. “I love you.”


“I love you too,” Harry replied pulling her into an intimate embrace.


“Happy Birthday, Husband,” Ginny murmured before kissing him softly.



The Wedding Vows that Harry and Ginny use to seal their unbreakable vow are again borrowed from the lyrics of a Neil Diamond song: One Hand, One Heart.


Celine Dion wrote Harry’s vows in a song entitled “Because You Loved Me”


Savage Garden wrote Ginny’s vows in a song entitled “I Knew I Loved You”


I have tweaked the words to fit my needs, any errors are my fault alone.


Chapter Eleven: School’s in Session



Back to index


Chapter 11: Chapter Eleven: School's In Session

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Eleven: School's In Session


In her excitement to return to Hogwarts, Hermione paid little attention to the items she was throwing in Ron’s trunk.
“Hey,” Ron protested loudly. “That’s fragile.”
Hermione scoffed when she saw what she had just thrown into the trunk. “I hardly think that a broom servicing kit can be classified as fragile,” she retorted haughtily.
Seconds later, Hermione nearly crashed through the ceiling of Ron’s room when Moody’s voice boomed behind her. “Constant Vigilance.”
Hermione steadied her racing heart and turned around to greet him. “Hello, Professor,” she said politely. “Will you be joining us at Hogwarts?”
“Don’t call me Professor,” he replied gruffly, grinning at the startled look on her face. “I haven’t done any teaching yet. When we get to Hogwarts, I expect you to call me Alastor. Professor sounds so proper, and I am far from proper.”
Hermione smiled, acknowledging that he would indeed be one of their teachers at Hogwarts. “Will you be taking us there?”
"Hermione,” Ron interrupted, feeling completely left out of the conversation. “We don’t need an escort to get there, remember?”
Moody glared at Ron. “You think you no longer need any protection just because you can change shape at will? Well I have news for you. It’s just as easy to kill a bird. It might even be easier.” His voice thawed ever so slightly as he turned to Hermione. “No one will be accompanying you. The eight of us will arrive shortly before you do. We will ensure that the castle is protected and the wards are still in place. Once you arrive and are settled I must return to the Burrow to help Arthur with some new wards. Any questions?”
Ron glanced at Hermione, shrugging his shoulders in confusion. “Why do we need new wards?” His question wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, but he was hoping that Moody would answer him.
“I can’t tell you that, Mr. Weasley. It would put too many people in jeopardy.” Moody turned and clunked down the stairs to Ginny’s room.
“Are the two of you ready yet?” he roared.
Harry spun around, pretending to clutch his heart and gasping for breath. “Professor,” he gurgled. “Help me!” He let his legs collapse beneath him causing him to crash to the floor at Ginny’s feet. “Help me! I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.”
Ginny raised a single eyebrow at Harry’s antics. When he refused to get up off the floor without help, she rounded on Moody. “Now look what you’ve done. Right after the wedding too, and now I’m stuck with him. Look at him. He’s pathetic.”
Moody looked horrified at her outburst. Harry managed to look deeply wounded before collapsing into a fit of laughter.
Ginny nudged his leg with her foot. When he didn’t stop laughing, she sighed in mock disgust. “There’s only one thing to do,” she told Moody. “Levicorpus.”
Despite the fact that he was suspended upside down, Harry was still chuckling. He swung his whole body forward, his arms reaching out to grab her hand. Immediately upon contact, Ginny was pulled from the ground and hung suspended in the air next to Harry. She did not look too thrilled when Harry brushed his lips against hers. “Harry,” she began evenly. “How I am supposed to get down from here?”
“I have no idea,” Harry replied, still quite amused by the situation. “There wasn’t any indication that this would happen in the Prince’s book.” “All I wanted to do was give her a kiss. How was I supposed to know that she would end up upside down too?”
“I think I will be able to help you out of your current predicament,” Professor Lupin offered. “It seems that you have fallen into the trap of the Levicorpus spell. Many of us had the same problem while we were at Hogwarts. It seems that when the spell was invented, the inventor didn’t want any ‘extra’ harm befalling those who were suspended. He created the spell so a person could be suspended, but not touched while suspended.” He pointed at Harry’s hand, still grasping onto Ginny’s.
“It suspiciously sounds like you knew who the inventor was,” Tonks noted.
“I think we all know the inventor,” Professor McGonagall amended.
“He was brilliant at Potions,” Professor Slughorn interjected. “Not quite as good as Lily, you know.”
“Horrible at Charms,” squeaked Professor Flitwick.
“He was quite knowledgeable in Herbology. You have to be to become a Potions Master,” Professor Sprout added.
“His healing potions were helpful,” Madam Pompfrey said, as if confiding an important secret. “It’s just such a shame that he…”
“Enough woman,” shouted Moody. “We don’t need to bring that up now.”
“Why are we still upside down?” Harry and Ginny both roared.
There was a great deal of chuckling before Professor Lupin performed the countercurse to set them gently back onto the ground.
“Why are you all here?” Harry asked politely, once he had disentangled himself from Ginny’s limbs.
“We are here to counsel you in your class choices,” Professor McGonagall announced with a definite twinkle in her eye.
“What is going on here?” Ron bellowed as he barged through the sea of bodies occupying his sister’s room. “Why are you all here?”
“Asked and answered, Mr. Weasley,” Moody barked.
Professor McGonagall waved her wand and the room magically expanded. The eight teachers took their seats on two large sofas, forming a barrier between the students and the exit. Ron and Hermione sat down together on another sofa, while Harry and Ginny chose to remain standing.
Neville and Luna wandered into the room, searching for their companions. Neville’s face paled when he saw the group of adults sitting on the sofas. Luna merely wandered over to the sofa that Ron and Hermione were sitting on and joined them. Neville looked at her, confused and nervous. Harry saw Neville’s look and marched over to support him. He pulled Ginny along and tried to sit them both down on the empty sofa. Ginny sat down immediately. Neville shrugged his shoulders, as if to shake off the worry, and took his seat.
“Now that we are all here, let’s begin. The intensive training that will take place at Hogwarts over the next two weeks will involve every aspect of your magical training. There will be several one-on-one lessons during the course of the ‘term’. There will also be ‘extra’ lessons that cover things you would not normally learn while enrolled at Hogwarts. I would like to formally introduce the staff.”
Professor McGonagall sat on the far left of the left sofa, so she started with the far right side of the right sofa and worked her way back to herself. “Professor Tonks, who will probably request that you call her Tonks, will be leading the concealment classes. You will have to opportunity to work with a real metamorphagus. Not many people can say that.”
She indicated the next person on the sofa, a wizard in shabby robes. His face looked tired, but his eyes sparkled with humor. “Professor Lupin, who you should all know from the werewolf debacle. He will be leading the classes in offensive spells. Through his extensive research, he has managed to create a comprehensive list of spells to teach you.”
“Please call me Remus,” Professor Lupin requested. “We will be working together closely, there is no need for formality.” He smiled at Harry, knowing how uncomfortable he felt.
The next wizard on the sofa needed no introduction, but Professor McGonagall pushed on. “Professor Moody.”
“Call me Alastor,” Professor Moody interrupted.
“Alastor will be teaching your defensive spells classes. I think everyone knows the extent of your experience, so we’ll just say that it is sufficient to teach some seventh years.”
Professor Flitwick rose to his feet, making his head level with the other teacher’s heads. “Professor Flitwick. Charms. Just like any other term,” he squeaked before sitting down again.
Professor McGonagall shook her head before continuing. “Professor Sprout, our resident Herbology genius. She will be teaching you plants that are so advanced, they are not found in Greenhouse #3. Don’t forget your protective gear.”
Professor Slughorn stood and bowed to each of the students in turn. “Professor Horace Slughorn. Hogwarts' new Potions Master. My curriculum is designed to teach you all that you will require to pass your NEWT tests.” He bowed to the students one more time before returning to his seat on the sofa.
Professor McGonagall snuffed quietly before introducing the witch directly to her right. “Madam Pompfrey, the school nurse, will be teaching a select few some of her more potent healing spells. Not everyone will be required to participate.”
She looked around in satisfaction, trying to think of what she was forgetting to tell them. “I, of course, will be teaching transfiguration to those who need it. I will also be giving some private lessons to those who might wish to be able to transfigure into something different than they are currently capable.” She turned to look directly at Harry. “We are offering you these courses because we are well aware of the journey that you have ahead of you. Molly and Arthur had told us that the four of you have been inseparable. I take it to mean that the four of you will be working together to help Harry accomplish his goal.”
“Professor, there are six of us here,” Neville observed. “Why are Luna and I tagging along if we aren’t needed?”
The color drained from Harry’s face as he remembered what Aunt Petunia had said in Hagrid’s hut.
“The Guardian will navigate the path. The Teacher will learn from The Evil. The Warrior will fall. The Leader will lose what never existed. Phenomenal power resides within the grasp of The One. The Future is here.”
Harry’s eyes glazed over and all he could see was his Aunt, her arm raised and pointed directly at him.
“Stay,” Harry croaked. “They must stay.” He clutched at Ginny’s arm, trying to reach Neville.
All of the teachers exchanged worried glances. It was obvious that something had happened to their students after they left Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall was the only teacher who didn’t look overly worried. She didn’t look troubled at all; she looked happy, if not slightly “I knew I’d forgotten something,” Professor McGonagall announced. “Mrs. Potter, you and Miss Lovegood share a unique situation. Your classes will have to prepare you to take the NEWT exams along with the others. You are both a year behind, so you will have to work extra hard to keep up. We have decided that this is the best course of action, since there is a possibility that you will not be able to return to Hogwarts.”
“We need to go,” Moody reminded Professor McGonagall. “We can finish this at Hogwarts.”
There were eight distinct ‘pops’ as the teachers Apparated to Hogwarts. Not knowing what to do, Harry sat on the sofa, staring into space.
“How are they going to Apparate on the grounds of Hogwarts?” Hermione mused.
“You mean to tell me you weren’t paying any attention? For once, I know something you don’t?” Ron teased.
“I was busy,” Hermione said defensively. “It was the first time, that doesn’t mean there will be another time.”
“Professor Moody said that they had lifted the wards on the Great Hall. That’s why they had to go first. They had to clear the castle, to make sure that no one else had figured out that the wards were down. He said that they would send us a sign when they were ready for us.”
Hermione stared at her feet, lost in thought. Neville took advantage of the lull in the conversation to find out what was going on.
“Harry,” Neville ventured timidly. “Is everything okay?”
“Yes,” Harry replied quietly. “I just remembered something that I would prefer to forget.” He saw Ginny’s small smile and he felt reassured. “Neville, you and Luna are very important to me, to all of us. Your help will prove to be invaluable. I am glad that you are here with us.”
Luna grinned at Harry, the darkness behind her eyes lightening considerably. “We aim to please.”
There was a blazing flash of light, followed by a single Phoenix feather. The feather floated lazily in a downward spiral. The feather was still a foot above the floor when it was swept upward on a current of air. The puff of air had come from Neville’s flailing arms as he disappeared, holding on to Harry and Ron for dear life. Hermione and Ginny had taken Luna’s hands before disappearing with her.
They arrived in the Great Hall, everyone on their own two feet. They turned around to see their professors. No sooner had they started walking toward them, there was an ominous clap of thunder and Moody disappeared with a loud ‘pop’.
Ron’s expression was sullen and his hands were clenched into fists at the thought of his family being in danger. “Harry,” Ron called. “Do you think?”
“No, Ron,” Harry replied immediately. “I don’t.” “I think that we need to sit down and talk about what Aunt Petunia said the first chance we get. I need to get them alone so we can talk.”
Without realizing he had vaguely heard Harry’s hidden message, Ron felt his heart lighten. “Okay, Mate,” Ron said reluctantly. “I hope Harry’s right. If something happens to my parents, I’ll kill Vold- Tom myself.”
Professor McGonagall beckoned them to the far side of the Great Hall. An owl was perched on her shoulder, with an overlarge message attached to its leg. “Professor Tonks and Professor Lupin will be taking over with introductions. I have some urgent business to attend to. I will see you promptly at nine tomorrow for your first class.” She strode off briskly, removing the parchment from the owl’s leg as she hurried out of sight. Professor Flitwick invited Professor Sprout, Professor Slughorn, and Madam Pompfrey for a quick meal before they retired for the evening. Professor Slughorn declined politely insisting that he had to prepare the ingredients for the potions he would be teaching the following day.
“Right, then,” Professor Tonks said gaily, once the other professors had left. “First thing’s first. My name is Tonks. I don’t go by Professor. This is Remus. He doesn’t go by Professor either. We are all friends here, I expect that you’ll address us as such.”
“Next thing on the list are the sleeping arrangements. Harry, uh, I’m sorry, I don’t quite know how to say this…You and Ginny won’t be sleeping together,” Remus mumbled. He braced himself for an argument of monstrous proportions.
“That’s fine,” Harry stammered. “Why is everyone concerned with our sex lives?” “Ginny and I haven’t been sleeping together anyway, there hasn’t been time.”
“I think what he meant to say was that Harry has been bunking with Ron,” Ginny explained, her face flushed at Harry’s implication. “Hermione has been staying in my room.” “Does everyone need to know that we haven’t done it yet?”
“Ginny, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” Harry trailed off, feeling like the world’s biggest git. “How do I always make it worse when this topic comes up?”
Tonks saved the day. “We are conjuring two tents. There will be one for the gentlemen and one for the ladies. The Great Hall will be our home base. All classes will take place in here unless they require specialized equipment.”
Tonks and Remus both waved their wands and two tents appeared side by side at the front of the Great Hall. Tonks waved her wand a second time and the tent on the right was decorated with a cute pink bow over the flap. Remus nudged her gently before waving his wand a second time. Two picnic baskets full of food appeared on checkered blankets in front of the tents.
“I’m starving,” Ron announced before heading over to the food. “Anyone else hungry?”
Harry, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna all joined him for a scrumptious meal. After dinner, they split up into their separate tents. Hermione, Ginny and Luna went into the tent on the right, while Ron, Harry, and Neville entered the tent on the left.
“Blimey,” Harry exclaimed. “This is just like the tent we took to the Quidditch Cup, Ron.”
“It does look similar,” Ron agreed. “It smells a whole lot better though.”
“We should say goodnight,” Neville told Ron and Harry.
“We should,” Harry agreed, smiling broadly.
He pulled out his wand and created a hole in the side of the tent. He shoved Neville through the newly created ‘door’. Neville went flying through the opening, landing at Luna’s feet.
“Hello,” Neville stammered. “Fine night for a chat.”
Luna giggled at Neville’s attempt to be suave. “Fine night indeed," she said, adopting an Irish lilt.
“Did you need something, Neville?” Hermione asked kindly.
“I need something,” Ron griped as he entered the tent. “I need a goodnight kiss.”
“Actually,” Harry called, climbing through the rapidly shrinking hole. “We all need to talk.”
He settled himself onto the floor next to Ginny before continuing. “Neville and Luna need to know what happened at Hagrid’s. We also need to talk about the DA before we start classes tomorrow. I have a feeling that these classes are going to be intense. I expect the NEWT’s will be just as intense.” “Ron looks worried about the test, Neville and Luna look worried about the impending news, and Hermione and Ginny look worried about telling Neville and Luna about Aunt Petunia. Everyone’s worried. I’d better get this over before someone loses it.”
Ron, grateful for anything to take his mind off of schoolwork, took a deep breath before starting his explanation. “We were at Hagrid’s, working some stuff out after we left Godric’s Hollow, and Harry’s Aunt started acting nutters. We haven’t had a chance to work out what she said, but now’s as good a time as any, right?”
Hermione jumped in, trying to save Ron from scaring Neville any further. He already looked ready to faint. “She made a Prophecy. Well, we think she made a Prophecy. She’s not magical, so I don’t think it’s a true Prophecy. I think that someone was working through her.” Hermione stopped when she heard Ginny gasp.
“That’s why Harry reacted the way he did. It was Tom. Tom had Petunia under his control, or had a direct link to her. I wonder how he could possess her,” Ginny said, her voice growing stronger as she put things together in her mind.
“What are you talking about?” Luna asked. “What Prophecy did she make, and how does it involve us?”
Harry repeated the Prophecy for Luna and Neville. “The Guardian will navigate the path. The Teacher will learn from The Evil. The Warrior will fall. The Leader will lose what never existed. Phenomenal power resides within the grasp of The One. The Future is here.” Once he ended, Luna started shaking her head.
“No one could possibly know that,” she murmured. “How could she know that?” She continued mumbling to herself; unaware of the concerned looks she was getting from Neville.
“Can someone explain it to me?” Neville inquired. “I’m still a little confused.”
“I am the Guardian,” Ron told him. “Apparently I am to navigate the path. I think it means that I am required to show Harry the path he is supposed to take to defeat Tom.
“I am the Teacher,” Hermione added. “I am to learn from The Evil. I have a feeling that means that I will learn the most important lesson from a dark source. I have no idea what, or who The Evil is yet. It could be Tom. It could be Snape. I’m still thinking about it in context with the rest of the Prophecy.”
“I am the Warrior,” Ginny continued, her eyes haunted by a dark secret. “I am going to fall. I can only imagine that means that I will be hurt during battle.” She reached for Harry’s hand before continuing under her breath. “Or worse.”
“This all came from our Phoenix Charm, these were the positions that were chosen for us.” Harry paused before continuing. “I am the Leader,” he informed them. “I am going to lose something that doesn’t exist. When I came out of the trance, I suddenly knew that it was hope. Now, I’m not so sure. I think that Tom planted that in my head while I was hallucinating. I need to find something that never existed, so I can lose it.” Harry laughed shortly, sounding like Moody.
“Here’s where we get lost,” Hermione admitted. “Phenomenal power resides within the grasp of The One. The Future is here. We have no idea who The One is. We also have no idea what the bit about the future means. Logically it doesn’t make any sense.”
“It does make sense,” Luna retorted. “The Future is a person. It makes perfect sense if The Future is a person.”
“How can you be sure?” Hermione asked.
At the same time, Neville looked at her with incredulity. “How would you know?”
“I am The Future,” Luna explained. “Without going into the horrid details of my past, I am sure that I am the one the Prophecy is referencing.”
“It can’t be,” Neville cried. “How could you be The Future?” “I don’t want to lose you. You can’t be part of this. I won’t let you.”
“It’s all falling into place,” Hermione pointed out. “If Luna is The Future, the Neville must be The One.” She started pacing back and forth. “Harry,” she declared, “he is The One.” She pulled Neville off the floor and swung him around in a hug. “He’s the heir of Gryffindor. He’s The One.” She was dancing around, chanting loudly. “He’s The One. He’s The One.”
Ron had the sense to grab her, and pull her to the ground next to him before she alerted the teachers to their activities. “Shh,” he scolded. “Hermione, they’ll hear us.”
“Don’t you understand how important this is?” she spat at him, furious at having been yanked onto her bum. “Neville and Luna are part of our Prophecy. They are destined to play a role in the destruction of the MOST EVIL WIZARD OF ALL TIME.”
“I guess that means you’re stuck with us,” Neville jokes feebly.
“They’re lucky to have us,” Luna retorted.
“We are,” Harry agreed. “We are very lucky to have you fighting on our side. Phenomenal power or no.”
“We still need to call a DA meeting,” Hermione reminded them.
“When should we do it?” Ginny asked. “We are going to be busy with classes.”
“I overheard Professor Sprout mention a trip to Hogsmeade at the end of the term,” Hermione informed them. “Maybe we should ask them to meet us there.”
“That sounds like it could work. What were you doing? Following Professor Sprout around, tormenting her about NEWT Herbology?” Harry teased.
“Are we done?” Ron demanded.
“Aren’t you acting like a smarmy plonker?” Ginny drawled. “Yeah, we’re done. Go kiss your girlfriend goodnight and go to bed.” She turned to kiss Harry goodnight, but she couldn’t resist throwing one more insult over her shoulder before planting her lips on Harry’s. “Bugger off, wanker.”
Ron, standing in front of Hermione, staring at the fullness of her lips, chose to ignore Ginny’s insult. “Bill always said it’s better to snog now and fume later.” He kissed Hermione soundly, thinking that Bill knew what he was talking about.
“Why did you have to wind him up?” Harry whispered against Ginny’s lips. “He’s going to be in a right state when we get back into our tent.”
Harry saw, out of the corner of his eye, that Neville had given Luna a chaste goodnight kiss and was waiting at the wall of the tent. He pulled himself away from his wife, “it feels good to be able to say that,” and sauntered over to Neville. Ron saw the two of them together, and after kissing Hermione one last time, ambled over to stand beside Harry.
“Night,” they called. “Sleep tight.”
“Don’t let the Doxies bite,” Luna called out.
Harry did a double take at Luna’s words. His hand was shaking as he tried to cut a hole in the fabric of the tent again. He couldn’t seem to cut through both layers of the tent walls. Ron, who noticed Harry’s shaking hand, stepped up and blasted a hole into the other tent. The three of them climbed through the hole and Ron sealed the hole behind them.
una, Hermione and Ginny crawled into bed as soon as the guys had left. The stress of the wedding and the news from the day had made them all very tired.
“Night Ginny. Night Luna,” Hermione called.
“Night Hermione,” Luna replied. “Night Ginny.”
“Night Luna,” Ginny chimed. “Night ‘Mione”
Hermione threw a pillow at Ginny before sinking back onto the bed and falling fast asleep.
Ron smoothed out the blankets on his bed before addressing Harry. “What’s up, Mate?” Ron asked with genuine concern. “You acted like you saw a ghost.”
“Don’t you remember,” Harry said, fumbling with his words. “Don’t you remember the last thing Dumbledore said to us? After he showed us our marks and taught us how to transform, he sent us back to Gryffindor tower. Do you remember what the last thing he said was?
“No,” Ron admitted. “I don’t pay attention to those kinds of things.”
Neville chuckled. “He told you guys to sleep tight. And not to let the Doxies bite.”
“How did you know that?” Harry faltered. “How could you know that? You weren’t there. No one was.”
“Luna,” Neville remarked simply.
“She really is…” Harry realized.
“She is,” Neville confirmed. “Her Mum told her when she was little. Her father couldn’t deal with it, so he started taking off on these excursions. At first, they were short. He came home and always had something special for Luna. Then, as she got older, the trip started getting longer. He started chasing some pretty, interesting, creatures. Luna feels responsible, in part, for his behavior. She has tried to make amends for it by defending her father at every step. She loves him so much, but it hurts her when he leaves her behind.”
Neville stopped short; he looked appalled and disgusted at himself for sharing such private information. “Don’t tell her,” he pleaded. “Don’t tell her I told you all of that. She would think that I betrayed her confidence. I mean, I did, but I didn’t mean to. What have I done?”
Ron looked completely startled at Neville’s reaction. “Don’t worry. We won’t tell her anything.”
Harry nodded his agreement. “Let’s go to bed. This has been a very long day.”
“Night Ron. Night Neville,” Harry called.
“Night Harry,” Neville replied. “Night Ron.”
“Night Neville,” Ron mumbled. “Night Harry.” He snorted and turned over underneath the sheets. “Welcome to the family,” he mumbled before falling into a deep sleep, snoring loudly.

Chapter Twelve: Head Of The Class

Back to index


Chapter 12: Chapter Twelve: Head of the Class

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Twelve: Head fo the Class

Ron was still snoring loudly ten minutes before Professor McGonagall was scheduled to arrive in the Great Hall.
“Wake up,” Harry fumed as he shook Ron for the third time. “Wake up. Wake up. Wake up!” Harry didn’t realize he was shouting until Hermione appeared beside him.
“Move over,” she commanded. “I don’t want to be late.”

With a wave of her wand, Ron was doused in what Harry could only assume, from Hermione’s irritation, was ice cold water.
Ron, in a misguided attempt to protect his face, threw his arms up to block the water. He was shouting incoherently, as a steady stream of water pelted his now unprotected chest and stomach. He was struggling to get his legs out from underneath the comforter, which was soaking wet. When he was sufficiently incensed, and wide-awake, Hermione flicked her wand. The water stopped flowing instantaneously.
“You ruddy,” Ron bellowed. He blinked rapidly to clear the water from his eyes. He noticed it was Hermione who was holding the wand that was pointed at him. She stood with one hand on her hip and a very smug look on her face.
“You were saying?” she smirked. “Maybe next time you’ll get up on time.” She turned and left the tent, leaving a flustered Ron hanging half off the bed.
“She’s so…” Ron spluttered. “Why does she always have to be so…”
“She’s Hermione, Mate,” Harry replied, a rare grin on his face. “That’s why you love her.”
“What time is it?” Ron asked, running his fingers through his hair, flinging water droplets everywhere.
“McGonagall is bound to be here any moment,” Harry observed. “You’d better get dressed.”

Neville’s face appeared at the flap of the tent and his expression told them that Professor McGonagall was already there and waiting for them. “Professor McGonagall is here,” he announced.

Ron sprung from the bed like he had seen a spider on his pillow. He looked down at his pajamas, glanced at Harry and shrugged. Harry chuckled at Ron’s forlorn expression and took pity on him. He waved his wand and dried his pajamas.
“I’m going to check on Ginny,” he announced, leaving Ron to change clothes in private.
“Thanks, Mate,” Ron replied gratefully. “I’ll be out soon.”

Harry exited the tent, walking directly into Ginny. “Good morning,” he blurted, smiling bashfully. “How did you sleep?”
“I slept well. You?” She smiled back, relieving the tension that Harry felt.
“I’m used to the power saw by now.” Harry cocked his head toward the tent, indicating Ron who had just appeared at the flap.
“Mr. and Mrs. Potter,” Professor McGonagall called from the table. “Do get something to eat so that we may begin.”
“I’m starving,” Ron bellowed from he tent flap, “but I’ve got to talk to Harry for a minute. It’s urgent.” He shrank back into the tent at Hermione’s irritated look. “It is.”

Harry turned to Professor McGonagall to profess his apologies before jogging over to the tent flap to meet Ron.

Ginny shrugged, not able to explain their odd behavior, and sat down to eat breakfast.
“Mrs. Potter,” Professor McGonagall said quietly. “I will be back shortly with the other teachers. Will you make sure that everyone is ready when we return?”
“Certainly, Professor,” Ginny answered. “It looks like Hermione, Neville, and Luna are ready. I will get Ron and Harry if they start taking too long.”
“Thank you.” Professor McGonagall strode purposefully from the Great Hall, her robes billowing out behind her as she hurried away to collect the other Professors.

Ginny glanced at the boy’s tent, smirking at the thought of Harry in his pajamas. “I wonder what they’re talking about. Probably Hermione.”
“What’s up?” Harry asked, his stomach rumbling in hunger.
“It’s Hermione,” Ron replied quietly. “I…I love her.”
“I hate to break it to you Ron, but everyone knows that.” Harry slapped him on the back and turned to leave the tent.
“No,” Ron practically shouted. “That’s not what I want to talk to you about.”
“Calm down,” Harry muttered, overwhelmed by Ron’s display of emotion.
“Sorry. It’s just that I don’t know what to do. I love her. I love her the way that you love Ginny. I just don’t know what to do about it. You guys seem so perfect together. Your bond is so much stronger. We fight all the time. We argue about silly things. You and Ginny never argue. Ginny loves you unconditionally. How do I know that Hermione feels the same way?” “I’m rambling. He’s going to think I’ve gone off the deep end.” Ron started to pace, making his presence imposing in the enclosed area of the tent.
“Just ask her,” Harry responded reasonably. “She’ll tell you the truth. Just be prepared for whatever answer she gives you. She might not be ready for the next step yet. Don’t get discouraged. She loves you.”

Harry tugged on Ron’s arm, pulling toward the flap effectively ending the conversation. They sat down at the empty table and wolfed down their breakfast. Hermione, Neville and Luna were all standing near the tents, practicing the Patronus spell. Ginny was standing a bit apart from them, her eyes closed tightly and her face scrunched up in concentration. Harry had finished swallowing his last mouthful of eggs when he watched, in utter awe, as Ginny began to hover a few inches off the ground. Ron followed Harry’s gaze to Ginny, who was now hovering a foot above the ground.

Ginny crashed to the ground at the obnoxious sound of Ron’s whoop. “Jerk.”

She was just about to attack Ron when Professor McGonagall entered the Great Hall followed by Tonks, Remus, and Alastor. Harry was thankful that Professor McGonagall had chosen that exact moment to return. He didn’t look forward to separating the brother and sister duo. Neither one of them realized just how powerful they had become. “At least Ginny is finally learning to control her emotions.”
“Mr. and Mrs. Potter,” Remus began formally, “you will be joining me for your first lesson.”
“Mr. and Mrs. Potter?” Harry inquired. “How about Harry and Ginny?”

Relief flickered in Remus’ eyes. “Of course. Harry and Ginny, we need to discuss certain matters that pertain to your new union. We should go somewhere private where we won’t be bothering those who will need to concentrate.”

Remus, Harry and Ginny bade everyone goodbye, and left the Great Hall. Remus set a hurried pace and Harry and Ginny struggled to keep up. Once they were a safe distance from the Great Hall, Remus stopped abruptly. “We have much to discuss. Meet me in Hagrid’s hut. I need to gather some items. I will meet you there shortly.” He quickly hurried down the corridor, disappearing around a corner.

Harry took Ginny’s hand, and they strolled through the corridors, down the steps and across the grounds to Hagrid’s hut. They entered the cabin, and much to their shock, found Remus and Petunia sitting on the edge of Hagrid’s bed. They were chatting comfortably, as if they were old friends.
“How did you beat us here?” Ginny sputtered. “We weren’t that slow.”
“Where did she come from?” Harry stammered. “Why is she here? What happened now?”
“I Apparated. Petunia came from Privet Drive, as you should well know.” Remus shook his head as if disappointed in them for asking such silly questions, but he could not hide the twinkle in his eyes.
“Hello, Harry. Hello, Ginny. I heard that the wedding was beautiful. I wish I could have been there to see it.” Petunia looked nervous. She was alternating between twirling her wedding band around her finger, and pulling it off and putting it back on.

“I think she could use a hug.” Ginny squeezed Harry’s hand and the released it.

Harry approached his Aunt and enveloped her in a loving hug. “I wish you could have been there too. It happened on short notice, and it wouldn’t have been safe for anyone to alert you until it was over. I’m really sorry.” “Crap! Damn!! I didn’t even think about her.”
“I missed you,” Petunia sniffed. “I can’t imagine never being able to see you again. Please tell me that when this is over, you will come visit me from time to time. I’ve been lonely.”
“Vernon?” Harry asked quietly. “He’s long gone and it’s my fault.”
“He’s not returning,” she professed.

Harry and Ginny both hung their heads. The pain of her loss radiated from every fragment of her being. Ginny moved to touch her, to try to mitigate some of her pain. Remus held his hand out, signaling to Ginny to remain where she was.

“Let me take you home, Petunia,” Remus offered.
“I would like that, Remus,” Petunia whispered. “Goodbye, Harry. Goodbye, Ginny. I will look forward to seeing you again soon.”

Remus patted Petunia’s arm gently and they disappeared with a ‘pop’.

Ginny looked at Harry, swallowed the huge lump that had formed in her throat, and tried to speak without crying. “Do you reckon we should have invited her?”
“I didn’t even think about it,” Harry admitted. “I was so focused on you, and this whole situations is so new. I’ve never had to worry about her feelings before. I messed up, didn’t I?”
“I think we messed up,” Ginny contradicted. “I hope that we will be able to make it up to her.”
“We will.” Harry took her hand and rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand. “She’s a part of my life now. I just need to make a better effort to include her.”

Remus appeared with a ‘pop’. “Now, where were we?”

He saw the tears that had formed in Ginny’s eyes and he saw the look of pure regret on Harry’s face. “She knows that it was not on purpose. She is just as overwhelmed with these new feelings as you are. Vernon leaving was not truly a loss for her. She feels that she has lost far more in not getting to know you.” “She loves you both.”

Harry brightened at Remus’ revelation. He knew that Ginny’s eyes had cleared and they were both feeling better about their huge blunder. “I’ll make it up to her. We’ll make it up to her.”
“Let’s begin our lesson, shall we? Our lesson today is on inheritances. It turns out that you both have a great deal to learn about them.” Remus looked back and forth between Harry and Ginny, trying to assess their responses.
“Inheritance?” Ginny mused. “It can’t be for me. No one I know has died.” “No one with money.”

Harry gave her a dark look. “Professor Dumbledore. Sirius.” He turned to Remus. “Is that what this is about?”
“Yes, Harry, but it affects Ginny too. She is your wife now. You are forgetting someone, though. Your parents left you an inheritance that you were to acquire on your birthday. Since your birthday has come and gone, it is time you knew what you have in your possession.”

Harry nodded and felt Ginny patting his knee comfortingly. “Be strong.”

Remus, seeing that they were not going to object any further, continued on seriously. “Let’s start with Sirius. He left everything to you, except his flat in Diagon Alley. He left that to me, with the requirement that I ask Tonks to live there with me.” He snorted, but also blushed slightly at the disclosure. “Professor Dumbledore left you his library, under the condition that you share it with Miss Granger. He also left you his Pensieve. He left Ginny Cassie’s writings on ancient magic. One of the books is already in Miss Granger’s possession.” He paused, dreading telling Harry about his parents. “Harry, your parents left you the bulk of their estate. They were considerably well off, so you have received a tidy sum of money. It is already in your vault at Gringotts. You can access it using the regular methods.”

Harry was speechless. He had no idea that his parents were well off. He hardly knew anything about them. “I really must sit down and go through that Memorable Moments Montage soon.”

Ginny just gaped at the announcement that she was now the wife of a wealthy man. “I’ve never had money. Without money, I’ve had everything I’ve ever wanted or needed. What it will be like with money? What if everything changes?”
“Nothing will be any different,” Harry promised.

Remus decided it was the right time to change topics. “Let’s work on some defensive spells. I don’t want Minerva to be able to claim that we got nothing done on the first day of classes. We have a few hours left before supper, let’s practice some shield spells.”

They left Hagrid’s hut and practiced in the grassy area in front. The rest of the afternoon flew by for Harry and Ginny as they took turns defending themselves from Remus’ attacks. Harry tried protecting Ginny with a wandless shield. As his powers were tested, they progressed rapidly. Soon he was able to conjure a shield spell that Remus’ hexes could not penetrate. Having accomplished that, Remus instructed them to move apart and for Harry to protect her from a distance away. By suppertime, Harry was able to protect Ginny from a sizeable distance. As they walked to the Great Hall for supper, Ginny was grumbling that she didn’t need Harry to protect her.

Remus laughed, it was a deep hearty laugh that had not been heard in a long while. “Ginny, it’s not about protecting you. It’s about building Harry’s powers, especially his wandless ones. I am sure that your classes tomorrow will prove to be more suited to your talents.”

Harry smirked and Ginny slugged him in the shoulder just as they ran into Neville and Luna on the steps in front of the entrance to the castle.

*********************************************************

Ron and Hermione waited for Harry and Ginny to leave the Great Hall before asking Professor McGonagall whom they would be working with.
“Mr. Weasley, you will be working with Alastor. Miss Granger, you will be working with Tonks. Mr. Longbottom and Miss Lovegood, you will be working with me.”

Having finished doling out assignments, Professor McGonagall motioned for Luna and Neville to follow her and she left the Great Hall.

Neville and Luna rushed to keep up with Professor McGonagall’s long strides. They were both worried that they were facing a difficult and intense lesson.

Raising her wand and waving it at a tree, Professor McGonagall stopped short, and took a seat under the Whomping Willow. She motioned for Neville and Luna to join her. Neville hesitated, nervous that the tree would start swinging at them at any moment. Luna sat facing Professor McGonagall and tugged urgently on Neville’s hand. He sat down beside her and looked at her curiously.
“What’s wrong?” he asked. “What’s happened?”
“Something has happened to my father,” Luna explained. “Professor McGonagall wanted you to be here to comfort me.”

Professor McGonagall looked like she had swallowed a Snitch. Her face turned an odd shade of mottled purple and she sputtered and gasped. “How could you possibly know that? I just received the owl last night. I spent the whole night trying to verify the news myself. How could you know already?” “What is going on here?”
“She knows things, Professor,” Neville explained patiently. “I can’t explain how, she just does. It means a lot to me that you thought it would be helpful for me to be present.”
“It was a very nice gesture,” Luna conceded. “Would you tell me what happened?”

Professor McGonagall took a deep breath, pleased that she didn’t have to break the worst of the news. “The owl last night brought news of your father’s death. The only information that was available at the time was he was involved in a Death Eater attack. I spent the entire night trying to track down more accurate information. I have come to know that your father was ambushed while exploring uncharted territory in an area populated mainly by Muggles. It’s a good thing you weren’t with him.”
“Who attacked him?” Neville asked
“Professor Snape and Draco Malfoy,” Luna told him softly. “He happened upon their hideout. They had to kill him to avoid being exposed as traitors to the Dark Lord. Tom is looking to kill them because they tried to help Harry. He hasn’t been successful, obviously.”

Professor McGonagall covered her mouth with her hand. When she spoke, her voice was shaky and unsure. “Our intelligence suggested that he was killed by Death Easters, but there was no way to make an identification. They were long gone when the Aurors got there. We need to contact the Order and let them know of this development.”
“You cannot,” Luna commanded. “If you tell anyone about Professor Snape and Draco Malfoy, they will die. We cannot prevent them from navigating their own course.”
“If they are on the side of good,” Professor McGonagall sputtered, “the Order will protect them.”
“Can you really believe that the Order will believe in Snape’s innocence just because Luna says it’s so?” Neville scoffed.

Professor McGonagall was taken aback by Neville’s attitude. “Pomona has always told me that he was soft-spoken and shy. There is nothing shy about this wizard sitting in front of me. Of course, that might have something to do with the incredible witch sitting beside him.” “All right Mr. Longbottom. What would you have me do?”
“I think we should start our lesson,” Neville proposed. “If I am to take the NEWT exams in a fortnight, I, for one, would like to be prepared to pass them.”
“I concur,” Luna agreed. “What will we be working on, Professor?”

Amazed at their spirit, Professor McGonagall had no choice but to proceed with the planned lesson. “Since you two are the only ones who are not currently capable of a transformation, I thought we would work on making you into Animagi.”
“Unregistered?” Luna asked.
“While I can’t condone unregistered Animagi, I think that now is not the appropriate time for you to be announcing your new powers to the wizarding world. We should keep this between us until this mess is over.” Professor McGonagall made a sour face as she said the last sentence. “What a mess it is.”

Neville and Luna exchanged glances. “What do we do first?” Neville asked.
“The first step is to choose your shape. I know, I know. Many people think that your shape is predestined. That’s honkey. People who say that they were not capable of choosing their shape were too weak to perform the spell properly. Peter Pettigrew is the perfect example. I don’t think he wanted to be a rat, but he had neither the desire, nor the determination to perform the spell suitably. Therefore, he ended up as a rat. End of story.” She scoffed at the idea of someone not performing the spell correctly. “I am sure that the two of you have the desire and the determination to get this right.”
“We do,” Neville said firmly.
“I know we do,” Luna agreed.
“Choose your shape. Bear in mind that while you will benefit from the transformation, you will be limited in your chosen shape.”

Neville looked thoroughly confused, so Professor McGonagall expounded on her explanation. “My cat form, for example, affords me nine lives and excellent night vision. However, for example, I don't enjoy a quick dip in the lake in my feline form. Does that help, Mr. Longbottom?”

Luna closed her eyes, imaging her form. Neville watched her interestedly for a moment before closing his own eyes and imaging his form. Once they had both settled on a chosen animal, they opened their eyes and waited for Professor McGonagall to continue.

“Now, you need to search deep within yourselves, and find a calm place to retreat to during your transformation. You will be able to change at first with a spell. After hard work and much practice, you will be able to transform at will. Once this happens, you will be prepared to explore the limits of your magical capabilities while in your animal form.”

Luna and Neville closed their eyes once more. Together they began to breathe deeply. Their chests rose and fell together. Professor McGonagall could hear the air wheezing in their lungs. Soon their eyes began to flutter, as if they were in a deep sleep.

Very quietly, Professor McGonagall whispered in their general direction. “Metamorphoseon.”

She closed her eyes and sat, her back rigid, with bated breath. Soon, she heard a subtle change in their breathing. Her eyes flew open and her heart raced. Whatever she had been expecting, it certainly wasn’t as advanced as this. “I’ve never seen anyone capable of choosing such powerful creatures. Potter was right. Wait a minute. What does Potter know that I don’t? I’d better speak with him.”

Neville stretched his legs lazily. His gigantic claws scratching at the ground in front of him. His large, gleaming, amber eyes peering around, searching for Luna. He needed to get a better look around, so he stretched out his wings and took off. It was only when he was a few feet off the ground that he realized he was flying. It was a rather clumsy attempt, but he was flying none the less. He spied Luna, although he wasn’t sure how he knew it was her. She was beautiful. Her black coat gleamed in the afternoon sun. Her wings were spread to their fullest, showing off her muscular shoulders. Her tail swished eagerly, in anticipation of flying. He watched her take off, and soon she was soaring alongside him.

Professor McGonagall watched the unlikely pair, shaking her head at the unheard of transformation. “I can honestly say that I never thought I would see that.”

Neville and Luna landed, and shuddered before returning to their human forms. The exertion of their flight had sapped their strength.
“Next time you will be able to maintain it longer,” Professor McGonagall informed them. “The more you practice, the easier it will be. When you can maintain the transformation as long as you like, you should be able to transform at will. Continue to practice every day during your down time between lessons. By the end of next week, you should be able to transform at will.”

Neville grinned, remembering the feeling of floating on air. Then his mind drastically switched gears. “We make such an odd couple. A Hippogriff and a Thestral, who’d have though it?”

Professor McGonagall bade them goodbye before Apparating to her office to think about the day’s events. Neville and Luna proceeded to the front steps of Hogwarts, where they ran into Harry and Ginny.

**********************************************************

Tonks smiled at Hermione, who looked a bit apprehensive to be working on her own with Tonks. She looked over her shoulder at Ron, who was being drug, somewhat reluctantly, out of the Great Hall by Alastor who had a firm hold on his elbow. Ron grimaced at her, letting her know exactly what he thought of being alone with Mad-Eye Moody.

Tonks ignored Hermione while she busied herself banishing the tables and tents. Then she set about conjuring several obstacles for Hermione to use in her concealment lesson. Once they were all conjured, she started moving them about and placing them where they fit best. After a couple waves of her wand, the Great Hall took on an entirely different appearance. When she was satisfied with the positions of the object and the overall look of the room, she turned to Hermione with a determined look on her face. “Are you ready to begin?”

Hermione, who looked quite confused at the transformation to the Great Hall, simply nodded. “My parent’s house?”

“Good. The most important part of concealment training is to start your training in a very familiar place. It will help you master the charms and spells without having to concentrate on your surroundings. You need to be able to move without stopping to think about where things are placed. I figured that this was an acceptable scenario for you.”
“I am very comfortable in this room,” Hermione admitted. “I am confused thought, why isn’t Ron doing concealment training? He’s the one who…” Hermione trailed off, remembering that the Order didn’t know all the details of their bond.
“Ron will be doing concealment training,” Tonks acknowledged. “He will be doing a much more advanced version of this lesson.”

Suddenly, an unusual wave of concern washed over Hermione. Her shoulder shook and she started to sob. Not knowing what to do, Tonks approached Hermione and pulled her into a hug. Tonks patted her back and allowed Hermione to sniffle into her shoulder. When Hermione’s sobs had subsided, Tonks pulled her onto one of the sofas she had conjured.

“Are you okay?” Tonks inquired gently. “Do you need to talk?”
“I don’t want to unload on you,” Hermione moaned. “I can’t keep this to myself anymore. I can’t tell anyone, because it could jeopardize everything we’re working for.” “I need to talk.”
“Would you like to be able to tell someone?” Tonks asked. “There are ways, you know.”
“What?” Hermione hiccuped. “I can’t possibly tell anyone. It doesn’t do any good to talk to Harry, or Ron, or Ginny. They don’t understand my fears.”
“If you need someone to talk to, along with a guarantee of that information remaining confidential, it can be done.” Tonks conjured a book, opened it to the correct page and handed it to Hermione to read.

Hermione was silent and her eyes darted back and forth, scanning the page for the information. When she had read the passage several times, Hermione gently closed the book. “You are willing?” “You would take the risk to help me clear my conscience?”
“Of course, Hermione. No one should have to bear such a weight alone.” Tonks held out her left hand to Hermione.

Hermione took Tonks’ left hand in her right hand. Tonks chanted a few words and her hand glowed blue. Hermione repeated the same spell as Tonks and her hand glowed green. They both finalized the spell and their hands glowed red. “It’s done.”
“You’re free to talk,” Tonks told her after a few long moments.

Hermione looked skeptical, but she trusted Tonks beyond any spell. “I need to tell you the second prophecy.” “Make me believe that everything will be all right.”
“What second prophecy?” Tonks mused. “Who made the second prophecy?”
“Petunia.” Hermione’s body shuddered at the memory, her eyes welling with tears.
“Hermione,” Tonks began.

“The Guardian will navigate the path. The Teacher will learn from The Evil. The Warrior will fall. The Leader will lose what never existed. Phenomenal power resides within the grasp of The One. The Future is here.” Hermione fell silent, letting the words fade into the silence of the room.

Hermione’s eyes were glazed over, tears streaming down her face. Her voice had lost all of its usual passion and she felt like she had just spewed filth into the room.
“Who are the players?” Tonks asked.

Hermione looked intrigued at Tonks’ immediate assessment of the prophecy. “The prophecy is regarding Ron, Me, Ginny, Harry, Neville, and Luna respectively.”
“We need to be particularly concerned with Harry’s bit. I don’t think we need to be concerned with the others right now. He is the only one who seems to be in immediate danger according to the prophecy.” Tonks scratched her head, squinting in concentration.
“How can you think that Ginny’s isn’t important?” she asked indignantly. “She’s going to fall. What if that means that she dies?”
“People fall in war. It’s a fact of life. Harry’s is more concerning to me right now. How is it possible to lose what never existed? It’s a factual impossibility to lose what never existed. We need to sit down and try to figure out what has never existed for Harry.” Tonks sat for a moment, not moving and not speaking.

Something snapped inside Hermione. She shook Tonks and shouted at her. She ranted about Ginny’s life being precious. She fumed about war being evil. She raved about needing hope. That’s when it hit her like a ton of bricks.
“Hope,” she croaked, her voice weak from exertion. “Harry said it was hope.”
“What?” Tonks breathed. “It can’t be. It’s not possible. There’s always hope.”

Hermione shrugged. “We thought it was just an aftereffect from the trance that Petunia had put him into.”
“He said that there was no hope. If there was no hope, how could he lose it?” Tonks thought about the predicament, mulling the facts over in her head. She looked to Hermione for answers, but only found dismay and desperation. She brightened at Hermione’s desolate expression. “I’ve got it. It’s so simple. Harry was right. It is hope. Hermione, think about it. If there was never any hope, and you lost it, what do you get?”

“I’m not following you,” Hermione babbled. “How can you lose something you never had, especially hope?”

“It’s a riddle. You need common sense to figure it out. I would have thought that you would have been the first to figure it out.” Tonks waited patiently while Hermione came to the same conclusion that she herself had come to moments before.
“Harry will lose his lack of hope. There is hope!” Hermione jumped up and started dancing around. She grabbed Tonks’ hands and pulled her off the sofa. Hermione twirled Tonks around until they were both dizzy. They collapsed onto the sofa, short of breath but giggling with relief.
“Does this mean that we can start the lesson?” Tonks asked innocently.
“Do I have to?” Hermione teased. “I would prefer to talk about Quidditch for hours and discuss each play in detail.”

Tonks scoffed at Hermione before disappearing with a ‘pop’. She reappeared directly behind her. Hermione nearly jumped out of her skin.
“How come there was no ‘pop’ when you reappeared?” she asked.
“The ‘pop’ is just a sound effect. Those who have truly mastered Apparating can do so without a single noise,” Tonks instructed. “Your situation is unique. The four of you don’t need to worry about noise. I want to work on your maneuvering and attack techniques instead. I’m going to attack you. I want you to evade the attack and send a volley of hexes at me in return.”
“Okay,” Hermione gulped. “What if I hit you? What if I hurt you?”
“Don’t be concerned with that, I’m wearing one of Fred and George’s contraptions. I’ll be fine against minor hexes. As long as you don’t use the killing curse, I’ll be fine. Ready…Go!” Tonks disappeared without warning.

Hermione stood still, in the center of the room, her hand resting on the arm of the sofa, debating on what to do. Tonks appeared across the room, hidden partially by an armoire. Hermione was not ready for the bat bogey hex she sent flying. She conjured a shield and allowed the hex to hit the shield before she disappeared.

Tonks looked around, cautiously waiting for Hermione to reappear. She had completely forgotten about Hermione’s transformation capabilities and she didn’t notice the splendid Eagle perched on the top of the armoire, looking directly down on her.

Tonks was ill prepared for the attack that ensued. The first hex hit, sending her careening into an end table. The second hex cane from another angle, toppling a lamp to the floor beside her leg. Tonks was not able to fire off a single spell, spending the entire exercise trying to maintain a shield spell. Hermione never seemed to fire from the same place or angle. It was then that Tonks remembered that Hermione’s alter ego was a bird. She started scanning the room, focusing on the ceiling. Her diligence paid off when she saw Hermione flash in briefly, just long enough to fire off a hex. “Crap! I don’t think Voldemort has a clue what he’s up against. She supposed to be the weakest of the four. Ha!”

Tonks called for an end to the lesson, begging off due to sore ribs. She claimed that the lamp had landed on her ribs when she was concentrating on her shield spell. Hermione knew better, she had seen the lamp fall by Tonks’ leg. “In fact, I guided it away from her body, to avoid any serious injury.”

With the lesson over, Hermione left the Great Hall in search of her companions. She had barely made it out the door when she saw Ron ambling down the corridor. She noticed that he was skipping slightly, and wondered if it was a side effect of the Imperius curse.

**********************************************************

Ron was struggling to keep up with Moody, his feet tripping over themselves in his hurry. He sent Hermione a look over his shoulder. “Rescue me.” She was standing next to Tonks, looking quite uncomfortable herself.

Moody pulled him out of the Great Hall, down the corridor and into an empty classroom. “Weasley,” he barked.
“Yes, Professor?” Ron cringed at Moody’s booming voice.
“Alastor. Are you ready?”
“Yes.” “NO!”
“I believe that the imposter went over the Unforgivable Curses with you during your fourth year, right?”
“Yes.” “We’re not doing them again? YES!”
“I want to work on some offensive maneuvers with you. Professor McGonagall told me that you are the Guardian, which makes you the strategist. You will need to plan some offensive attacks against Voldemort.”
“Tom,” Ron corrected without thinking.
“What?” Moody bellowed.
“We call him Tom,” Ron replied, nonplussed at Moody’s ire. “Hermione says that one of the keys to ‘Lord Voldemort’s’ power is the fear of his name. He is, after all, just a man. Oh yeah, he’s a powerful wizard. So what? So are you. So is Harry. I can name a hundred powerful witches and wizards, and most aren’t purebloods. We aren’t going to treat Tom like he’s something special.”

Moody just shook his head, baffled by Ron’s display of unconcerned bravery. He pointed at a desk and indicated that Ron should have a seat.

Ron spent the afternoon searching through books with offensive strategies. He took notes, prepared elaborate scenarios, and tried to visualize them in his head. “This is Hermione’s area, she should be scouring these books looking for interesting information. What if I miss something?”

The afternoon passed more quickly than Ron would have thought possible. He was startled when Moody announced that he saw Harry and Ginny returning to the castle. “It must be time for supper,” Moody assumed. “We’re done with this lesson. Good job, Weasley.”

Ron felt light, as if he had accomplished something wonderful. He bade Moody goodbye and jogged to the door, eager to see Hermione. He had reached the door when he heard a voice in his head. “Jump through the door.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Ron argued. “I can’t jump through a door. It’s solid.”
“Jump through the door,” the voice insisted.

“I can’t,” Ron emphasized. “The thing is solid wood. It’s not going to happen.”
“JUMP THROUGH THE DOOR!”
The voice was forceful, making Ron doubt his choice.

In an attempt to appease the voice, and keep himself from smashing headlong into the door, he took a small, bunny hop closer to the door.
“Decent attempt, Weasley,” Moody called to him. “You resisted that for quite a while. They’ll have a difficult time controlling you. My advice is to keep fighting it,
Ron left the room quickly, before Moody had a chance to hit him with any more Unforgivable curses. His legs were still trying to hop as he made his was down the corridor. This gave the appearance of skipping. Ron fervently hoped that no one would see. His fears were forgotten when he saw Hermione appear from the Great Hall.

She gave him an odd look as he approached. He pulled her close, holding her tightly before whispering into her ear. “Moody put the Imperius curse on me.”

He heard a chuckle that was muffled by layers of robes. Hermione pulled her head back from Ron’s shoulder and stood on tiptoe to kiss him.

“Get a room,” Harry called as they came into sight. “We don’t want to see that.”

Ron heard Ginny, Luna and Neville laughing at Harry’s comment. He turned and grinned at them, his face free from embarassment.
“What are you going to do about it?” Ron drawled. “I think I’ll kiss her some more.”

He leaned down and planted another loving kiss on Hermione’s lips. Losing himself in the feeling of her body pressed against his. The wonderful feeling was abruptly ruined as a stream of freezing water splashed over his head, dousing both him and Hermione.

It took only a second for her to react. It was clear that everyone would be participating in this melee. Neville pushed Luna behind him, conjuring a shield spell. Ginny disappeared, only to reappear right behind Ron. She disarmed him quickly, tossing his wand to Harry. Hermione hexed Harry, causing the stream of water to cease flowing. She was gone before Harry could react. Before anyone could call a truce, there was a loud crack and a deep, reverberating noise.

Hermione, Ginny, Harry, and Ron looked around, trying to figure out what happened. No one had a wand. No one was wet. No one could figure out what happened. Until they looked down the corridor. There was a giant Hippogriff, lying peacefully in the middle of the corridor. The missing wands were clamped firmly in its beak.

Ginny screamed when she saw the Thestral move from behind the Hippogriff. Harry pulled her close, moving her behind him and preparing to attack. “I don’t need a wand. If I can cast a wandless shield spell, I can cast any spell without a wand.”

The Thestral shook its head and neighed, sounding suspiciously like laughter. The Hippogriff clacked its beak, seeming to agree with the Thestral. Then, they were gone. Neville and Luna were standing in their place, laughing at the expressions on the quartet’s faces.

“We just wanted to show you what we learned today,” Luna explained.

“Cool, isn’t it?” Neville bragged.

Hermione, Ginny, Harry, and Ron were speechless. Luna and Neville were fast becoming an important part of their group.
“Let’s eat,” Neville proclaimed. “I’m starving.”
“Me too,” Ron and Harry said at the same time.

This prompted laughter from Ginny, Hermione, and Luna. They were still laughing when they entered the Great Hall to eat supper. The evening was relaxed and fun. They sat down to discuss how their individual lessons went. The mood was dampened when Luna told them about her father, but she told them that she was fine. Neville lightened the mood for everyone by telling them about the look on Professor McGonagall’s face when she saw their animagus forms.

The days flew by. They were filled with hard work, laughter and friendship. Before anyone realized how long they had been at Hogwarts, there were only two days left until their NEWT exams.

Hermione hadn’t even begun to stress about the exams, when Professor McGonagall informed them that they would have one last day of individual lessons before the N.E.W.T.s.
“Tomorrow morning you will have individual lessons. Then in the afternoon, you will sit for a review of the theoretical applications you would have learned during the normal school term. The next morning, your practical N.E.W.T.s will begin. They will only take a portion of the morning, since there are only six of you. The other Professor sand I have discussed an alternative for the afternoon. Since you have been so dedicated and worked so hard, we have decided to take you to Hogsmeade for the afternoon.” Professor McGonagall didn’t look too thrilled about the trip to Hogsmeade, but she smiled when all six of her students whooped and hollered at the prospect of an afternoon of fun.
“Thank you, Professor,” Hermione called out between cheers.

Professor McGonagall left them in the Great Hall to celebrate.

Chapter Thirteen: Trouble in Paradise

Back to index


Chapter 13: Chapter Thirteen: Trouble in Paradise

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Thirteen: Trouble in Paradise


Neville and Luna slipped out of the Great Hall, quietly making their way to Professor Sprout’s ‘secret’ garden. Once the massive doors had swung shut behind them, Neville slipped his arm around Luna. They walked together, arm in arm, their steps evenly matched, and saying nothing. They crossed the grounds quickly. In no time, Neville was opening the hidden gate.

“I hope Professor Sprout doesn’t mind that we come here,” Neville whispered.

“I don’t think she does,” Luna whispered back. “Besides, it’s our place now.”

They settled onto the wooden bench, content to be alone together. Luna entwined her fingers with Neville’s, pulling his hand gently and bringing it to rest on her thigh. She felt Neville tense as his fingers brushed against her bare skin.

“I’m so glad I made this dress. I wonder if he’s noticed that I’ve worn it every time we’ve been here.”

Luna slouched down on the bench, bringing herself to Neville’s shoulder level. She rested her head on his shoulder, at ease after a long days worth of work. She could feel his breathing, his chest rising and falling with each breath. Slowly, his body relaxed and he seemed to melt into her.

“She looks so amazing in that dress. I still remember the first time she wore it. I can’t believe she made it.”

They sat together until the sun no longer showed in the sky and the moon had been out for hours. Luna had started to get chilly and decided it was probably time to get back to the Great Hall.

“We should get back,” she told Neville regretfully. “I’m sure they have noticed we’re gone. They will probably tease us mercilessly as it is, we should get back before the sun comes up.”

Neville grinned at the thought of staying in the garden to see the sunrise. “I’ll bet they didn’t even miss us,” he teased. “They are couples themselves, after all. They’ve probably been snogging all night. We could stay here until the sun rises. It’s not too far off, we might as well stay for another hour or so.”

Luna blushed at the thought of spending the whole night with Neville. “We could,” she began leisurely, “but I’m cold.”

“I can fix that,” he offered. “Would you like me to conjure you a sweater?”

“One of yours?” she asked hopefully.

“You want to wear my sweater?” Neville asked, taken aback with a confused look on his face. “It will be too big, it will probably fall to your knees and…”

“That would be all right,” Luna stressed.

“Oh. Well, of course you can wear one of mine. Do you want the blue one or the green one?” Neville asked.

“Blue,” Luna responded.

“Done,” Neville assured her.

He pulled out his wand, waved it, and muttered, “Accio blue sweaters.” He waited patiently. After a few minutes, he started to worry that he had pronounced the spell wrong. Suddenly there was a loud whistling noise and several hundred sweaters, all of them blue, came hurtling at him. He was knocked down by the sheer volume of sweaters.

“Neville,” Luna chortled, “are all of these yours?”

“No,” Neville managed to gasp as he shoved piles of sweaters off his chest. “I only have one blue sweater, so only one of these can be mine. I think the more important question is: Where in Merlin’s name did they come from?”

“I think that when you called for your sweater, you asked for sweaters. While it’s pretty funny, it also means that your powers are progressing. I’m not sure that you are supposed to be capable to call for other people’s possessions.” Luna was still smirking when Neville grabbed her by the wrist and tugged her down onto the soft pile of sweaters.

“What are you doing?” Luna howled, cracking up at the look on Neville’s face.

“This is the perfect place to watch the sun rise,” he observed. “We can always return these to their owners when we’re done with them.”

He held out his arms and engulfed her in a snug embrace. The sweaters had formed the perfect shape to recline and watch the sun as it rose in the East above the turrets of the castle.

The perfect end to their night was not meant to be. Neville was furious with himself for being so terrified when Harry appeared in the garden beside Luna. He crouched down beside her, looking tousled and tired.

“I need you two to return to the Great Hall,” Harry pleaded urgently. “Ginny’s, well, she’s pretty upset. I need your help to calm her down.”

“Give us a minute, Harry,” Luna requested. “We’ll be there shortly.”

Harry disappeared without as much as another word. Luna rubbed Neville’s shoulder in apology.

“Let’s send these back to their owners and get up to the castle.” She started banishing the sweaters quickly.

“I’m sorry,” Neville began. “I…”

“Don’t be sorry,” Luna interrupted. “She’s going to need us all there. Something terrible is about to happen.”

Neville started banishing the sweaters with a furious passion. His wand was flying back and forth. The incantations were flowing from his mouth so quickly they were almost unintelligible.

Luna stopped banishing the sweaters to watch Neville. He was majestic and the power that radiated from his body took her breath away. Before she realized it, he had completed the task and was standing next to her. She smiled up at him, pulling him down into a gentle kiss, before leading him back to the castle.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hermione nudged Ron hard in the ribs to get his attention away from the game of Wizard’s Chess he was playing with Harry.

“Ow. Hermione, what are you doing?” Ron grumbled. “That hurt.”

She watched as Harry studied the chessboard very carefully. He seemed completely lost in his thoughts about his next move.

“Ron,” she hissed. “Ron, Neville and Luna just slipped out the doors. Do you think we could get away with going for a walk?”

Ron shrugged. “Do you want to go for a walk?” he asked quietly. “I’m a bit tired. I would rather go to…”

“We don’t have to walk,” Hermione interrupted. “We just need to get out of the Great Hall. I’m sure that Harry and Ginny want to be alone too.” She raised her eyebrows at the end of her whispered tirade.

Realization hit Ron immediately. “Let’s go,” he exclaimed, forgetting to whisper.

Hermione grimaced, hoping that Harry hadn’t heard all of their conversation. He still appeared to be concentrating on the board.

“We’re going for a walk,” Ron announced. “We’ll be back later.”

“Don’t wait up,” Hermione added under her breath.

Ron grabbed her hand and practically pulled her from the Great Hall. Unlike Neville and Luna, he already had his arm around Hermione by the time they reached the doors.

“Where should we go?” Ron asked nervously.

“Where can we be alone?” Hermione mused.

“What about the Room of Requirement?” Ron offered.

“You’re brilliant,” Hermione breathed. “Are you sure you want to?”

“I’m ready, I think,” Ron muttered. “Are you?”

“I think so,” Hermione whispered.

“Let’s go,” Ron said bashfully.

“Yes. Let’s.”

Ron could barely hear Hermione over the pounding of his heart. He slowly tried to pick up his left foot, but it wouldn’t move. It seemed to be made of lead. He was thrilled that they were finally ready to take the next step, even more pleased that Hermione had even been the one to suggest it. His nervousness quelled, Ron took the first step of many leading to the Room of Requirement and the end of his innocence.

Hermione wasn’t having the same troubled thoughts as Ron; she was more ready than she felt she should be. Her steps were light and quick. She noticed that Ron was no longer beside her and she whirled around in a panic. She saw him, hesitating, obviously caught in his own thoughts. She was just about to call out to him when he started walking toward her. She held out her hand as he closed the gap between them. He took her hand in his and tugged her along, urging her to hurry as they approached the corridor that led to the Room of Requirement.

Having reached the proper area, Hermione began to get nervous. “I’ve never done this before,” she whined. “What happens if I don’t ask for all the right things? What happens if it’s awful? Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.”

“We don’t have to go in there, Hermione,” Ron reassured her gently.

“You won’t be mad?” She was looking at him carefully, trying to discover if he was telling the truth or not. She couldn’t see a hint of anything other than love in his eyes. Reassured, she closed her eyes tightly, imagining a room that she would want to be in during her first time.

Ron, noticing that the door had appeared, grabbed the handle and eased it open.

Hermione opened her eyes and watched as Ron opened the door. The room, which had been so accommodating in the past failed to disappoint them now. The room was empty, save for a large bed against one of the far walls.

Ron was incredibly grateful that there wasn’t anything frilly or pink. He also noticed that there weren’t hundreds of candles, rose petals, handcuffs, or mirrors. He wasn’t sure that he could perform under those conditions.

Hermione seemed to understand the pressures that were associated with the task they were about to undertake and had prepared the room accordingly. The bed, while large and comfortable, was quite plain. The sheets that covered the mattress were dark in color and soft to the touch. The room was lit by a single candle, barely giving off enough light to tell the color of the sheets, but enough for him to make out the expression on Hermione’s face.

“Now what?” Ron asked nervously. He felt his stomach churning. At the same time, it felt like it was knotted beyond repair. He almost felt like he was going to vomit. This feeling was horrible, the worst he had ever felt. This was even worse than the time Fred and George gave him a handful of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. They had transfigured them to look like green apple flavored beans, but in reality, they had been earwax, spaghetti, black pepper, earthworm, sardine, dirt, soap, grass, booger, and vomit. And that was exactly what Ron had done. He had vomited all over Fred and George. He shook his head to clear the thought of Fred and George from his brain. That was the last thing he needed to be thinking of when he was preparing to shag his girlfriend.

Suddenly he stopped thinking about the act and a wave of calmness washed over him. He simply reached out and pulled Hermione close. Then he kissed her softly and he was lost in the feelings that were washing over him.

Hermione reacted the moment Ron’s lips touched her own. She was not sure how to start things, but she felt a fierce pull to move things along. She was ready, she was pretty sure that Ron was too. She didn’t want to waste the precious alone time worrying about the consequences. She pulled her head back from Ron’s for a brief instant and tried to get him down on the bed. The movement was new to Hermione, and therefore came across awkwardly. She was thrown off balance as Ron tripped onto the bed. He landed on his back on the bed and she landed on top of him. Their bodies pressed together in all the right places and Hermione felt a sudden surge of power.

It was obvious to Ron that Hermione had decided to run the show. He wasn’t sure why he was surprised, Hermione always knew just what to do. She began to kiss him, first softly and sweetly, then with a new passion and vigor that they had not experienced before. The feelings that awoke inside of Ron were ones that he had never felt with Lavender.

Hermione kissed him ardently, experimenting and pushing past any boundaries that had set in the past. She sat up abruptly and removed her robes. Underneath she wore a simple sundress, much like the one she had worn to Harry and Ginny’s wedding. She jerked on Ron’s arms to get him to sit up so she could take off his robes too.

She succeeded in getting his robes off, revealing a Muggle t-shirt and jeans. The shirt, like most of the other clothes he wore, was a hand-me-down from one of his brothers. Hermione could only guess that it was one of Charlie’s shirts because it had a crudely drawn picture of a dragon. A single word was written beneath the dragon and Hermione assumed that ‘Trogdor’ must be the dragon’s name.

Ron’s eyes were downcast and he refused to look at Hermione when reached out to him. Hermione, who was apprehensive about her appearance, was worried that Ron was not interested in her. In reality, Ron was having trouble focusing on anything but her. He didn’t want her to think that he was staring at her body, but he had been drinking in every inch of her bare skin

Hermione climbed off the bed and stepped in between Ron’s legs, which were dangling off the edge of the bed. She tried to get him to look up at her, but he refused. Her nearness was driving him crazy and he didn’t want her to see the look of hunger in his eyes. He didn’t want to scare her.

When she got no response to her prodding, Hermione decided to take drastic steps. She climbed onto the bed again, this time positioning herself directly in front of Ron, straddled across his lap. She had one leg on either side of his, her face level with his, their torsos matched evenly. She put her hand underneath his chin and gently forced his face upward so that she could see his eyes.

Before Ron could stop himself, he thought of Hermione’s silky skin against his. He could feel her bare arms brushing against his bare arms. Her body was pressed against his in a very pleasing way. Before he could meet her eye, he felt a stirring that he desperately wanted to hide. He started to shove her off of his lap, praying that she wouldn’t be offended.

Hermione wasn’t having any of it. She locked her legs and refused to move off Ron’s lap. She had already noticed his state, and while she was a tiny bit scared, she was also very pleased and excited. “Wow! I can’t believe I can do that to him.”

Hermione bent forward, brushing her lips against Ron’s. She moved her legs slightly in an attempt to adjust herself into a more comfortable position to continue snogging Ron. That movement was all it took to push him over the edge.

“Bloody hell,” he growled, as he wrapped his arms around Hermione’s back.

He lifted her up, spun her around, and slammed her onto the bed. In his haste to see every square inch of Hermione’s skin, he employed a severing charm to remove her sundress. He was amazed to see that she was not wearing anything under the dress.

She blushed furiously at he stared at her unabashedly. She watched in fascination as he removed his too tight shirt. She felt her body heat rise in anticipation as he removed his trousers and knickers in one motion.

Hermione couldn’t look at Ron enough; she wanted to explore his body with her eyes. She wanted to count the freckles on his back. She wanted to run her hands over the wiry hair on his calves. She was enthralled with the definition of his muscles and the smattering of curly red hairs on his chest. She closed her eyes, awaiting the next step eagerly.

Ron watched Hermione as she ran her eyes over his body. He started to cover himself in self-consciousness when he noticed a small movement out of the corner of his eye. Hermione had closed her eyes and the tip of her tongue had slowly wetted her lips. There was a new feeling in the pit of his stomach, one that sent chills up his spine.

He joined her on the bed where he kissed her delicately. He ran his hands over her body, allowing them to roam and search out places he had never touched before. He felt her squirm next to him and he deepened the kiss, slipping his tongue into her mouth.

One moan was all it took. He was inside her before he knew what he’d done. He had spent the entire time watching the flood of emotions on Hermione’s face. He saw the momentary wince of pain, followed by the smile of wonderment at the new sensations, and finally a small smirk of pleasure. It was over before he had a chance to enjoy it.

He moved off of her, worried that he was crushing her with his weight. “Are you okay?” he asked. “Did I hurt you?”

“Only a little,” Hermione replied. “Only in the beginning.”

“Did you,” Ron began. “Did you enjoy it?”

“It was new…”

“Oh,” Ron mumbled, looking crestfallen.

“and amazing, and thrilling and I am convinced that next time it will feel even better.” Hermione finished, ignoring Ron’s interruption.

“Next time?” Ron bleated. “Really?”

Hermione laughed quietly at Ron’s enthusiastic response. “Yes, really.”

Ron was already starting to rise to the occasion, and he moved Hermione’s hand to let her know that he was ready anytime she was. Hermione gave a throaty laugh and indulged in some naughty behavior. He closed his eyes and leaned back to enjoy Hermione’s attentions. She had only been teasing Ron for a short while when she heard his breathing deepen.

Ron felt his muscles grew taught and he was on the verge of pouncing on Hermione. His eyes flew open as her hand left his skin. When Ron struggled to sit up, Hermione used her free hand to push him back into a horizontal position. He closed his eyes in frustration and tried to relax. He felt Hermione’s hand again, but only for an instant. He was disappointed, to say the least. He was properly rewarded when her hand was replaced by something that felt even better.

This time he closed his eyes to enjoy the feelings and Hermione watched his every expression. He managed to focus on how Hermione was making him feel. He felt an exquisite new sensation, followed by a small cry from Hermione. Before he knew it, it was over.

“That was bloody brilliant,” Hermione panted. “I knew it would be better the next time.”

Ron could only nod. He gathered her into his arms, barely conscious of the sheen of sweat on their bodies. The cool night air was starting to give them chills and they wrapped themselves in the softness of the plaid comforter.

Their timing was fortunate, as Harry appeared at the foot of the bed right then. Hermione shrieked at the sight of him, while Ron just smiled smugly.

“I need you two to return to the Great Hall,” Harry pleaded urgently. “Ginny’s, well, she’s pretty upset. I need your help to calm her down.”

“We’ll be right there,” Hermione reassured him.

“Give us a minute to get dressed, Mate,” Ron smirked

“Hurry,” Harry pleaded again before vanishing.

Hermione, who had repaired her sundress while Ron and Harry were exchanging words, dressed quickly. Ron, sensing Hermione’s urgency, also dressed rapidly. Within minutes they were on their way down to the Great Hall.

----------------------------------------------------------

Harry watched Hermione nudge Ron in the ribs. He noticed that Ron had muttered something at her, but he was waiting for her response, hoping they would go for a walk. He pretended to be studying the chessboard while he waited for Hermione to tell Ron her news.

“I hope they go somewhere else. I haven’t had any time alone with Ginny since we got married. This just isn’t right. We’re supposed to have a honeymoon. We’re supposed to have…”

Harry’s thoughts were disrupted when Ron announced that he and Hermione were going for a walk. Harry watched them closely as the practically ran to the door, swinging it open with the force of a hurricane and bolting out into the corridor.

“It’s about time,” Harry muttered.

He carefully put the chess set away, trying to steady his racing heart before calling out to Ginny, who was hidden away in one of the tents.

“I think we’re alone now,” Harry called out. “You can come out and play.”

Ginny emerged from the tent grinning. “What shall we play?” she teased.

“Whatever you want to play,” Harry joked. “I am at your mercy.”

Why don’t you join me in the tent where we can have some privacy?” Ginny suggested provocatively.

“There’s no one out here,” Harry indicated the Great Hall, motioning to the doors. “Neville and Luna left ages ago and Ron and Hermione are off on a ‘walk’.”

“I’m so proud of them,” Ginny smirked. “They’re all growing up so fast.” She dropped the teasing tone and became serious. “We should go into the tent, Harry.”

“If that’s what you want to do,” Harry replied. “That’s what we shall do.”

“I have my reasons,” Ginny mumbled mysteriously.

“What might they be?” Harry asked, a slight worry starting to form in the back of his brain.

“I have taken some precautions that we will receive a fair warning, should someone enter the Great Hall,” Ginny explained. “I don’t want anyone catching us while we’re…”

Harry couldn’t respond. He had just grasped what Ginny had been trying to tell him.

“Stop gaping at me,” Ginny demanded. “Do you want to or not?”

Harry didn’t respond. He merely took her by the hand and pulled her into the tent. She had not only prepared the wards around the tent and set up detectors in the Great Hall, but she had also managed to make the tent look incredibly inviting. Harry took a moment to revel in the splendor that was his wife. Ginny took his hesitation as trepidation and decided to take matters into her own hands.

She pushed him down onto the towering pile of pillows she had conjured. She landed next to him, her legs brushing against his in a seductive manner. She was preparing to attack him, when she got a pleasant surprise.

Harry, who had finally caught on to what was happening to him, pulled her on top of him. He guided her so she wasn’t crushing any important parts before capturing her lips with his own. At first, he was content to snog her senseless. They explored each other’s faces and necks, kissing every erotic place they could find on each other. Just when Ginny was starting to get adventurous, Harry abruptly sat up. She sat up, leaning back and resting on the heels of her hands in annoyance, planning to launch into a tirade.

She watched in silent fascination as he stripped off his shirt, baring his chest for her perusal. She was so busy studying every aspect of his chest and arms that she didn’t notice that he was tugging on the hem of her shirt. He managed to pull it over her head clumsily, causing both of them to fall back onto the bed overcome with giggles. He kissed her gently, allowing his hands to roam over her body. He was unsure of the new boundaries, so he kept his movements restricted to ‘safe’ sections of her body. It was only when Ginny took his hand and ran it over the material of her bra and moaned into his mouth at the touch, that he allowed himself to truly believe that there were no boundaries left. He lowered his mouth to hers, kissing her fiercely, as his fingers played over her bare skin.

Then, Ginny went rigid and the mood was shattered. She started bucking against his arms, her whole body convulsing violently. He put his hand on her forehead and willed her to share her thoughts with him. He closed his eyes in concentration, probing into her thoughts. She had blocked him; someone had blocked him from helping her. After several ghastly moments, Ginny slackened and was calm.

“Ginny,” he whispered. “Talk to me.”

“Get everyone,” she cried hysterically. “Something more terrible than we have known is about to happen.”

Harry knew better than to argue. Arguing wouldn’t solve anything, and it would only serve to upset her more. He disappeared instantly, leaving to get Luna, Neville, Ron, and Hermione. “I can only hope that I don’t catch them in a compromising position.”

Neville and Luna entered the Great Hall first, tripping the wards that Ginny had placed when Harry left her alone. The noise was deafening. The sounds that came from the wards were like a cross between a banshee’s cry and a mermaid’s voice above water.

Luna covered her ears and sent her Patronus into the tents. Ginny’s head poked out of the flap. She saw Luna and Neville and waved her wand, mumbling something incoherent. The noise stopped as quickly as it had started.

Luna and Neville quickly made their way to the tent. They entered the tent to find Ginny had rearranged the furniture, making room for all three couples. Harry returned to find the three of them huddled in front of a blue fire. He had just stepped behind Ginny, rubbing her shoulders protectively when the insidious noise began again.

This time it was Harry who poked his head out of the tent flap. “It’s just Ron and Hermione,” he shouted. The din drowned Harry’s voice out and Ginny didn’t hear him.

Ron rushed across the Great Hall, with Hermione in tow, after seeing Harry’s head disappear into the tent. He was hurled to the ground, after running into absolutely nothing. Hermione, who had been following closely behind, managed to avoid the nothing and remain upright.

Ginny stuck her wand hand out of the tent and mumbled again. The noise quit screaming in everyone’s ears. Hermione helped Ron up and the slowly made their way to the tents. Ron walked cautiously, trying to avoid whatever had knocked him down.

“It was a force field,” Ginny explained. “I’m sorry.”

Ginny was flushed and clammy. Her eyes had a dull cloudy look to them, and she seemed to be shaking badly.

“What’s wrong?” Ron asked, his eyes full of concern for his baby sister.

“Soon,” Ginny ranted. “I don’t know what will happen, but it happens soon.”

“Ginny,” Luna said soothingly. “Nothing will happen that we aren’t prepared for.”

Ginny hiccuped and a spark of life gleamed in her eyes. “Are you sure,” she sobbed.

“Yes,” Luna said firmly.

“Yes,” Hermione said firmly. “We are sure.”

Ginny, Hermione, and Luna all hugged each other and cried while their male counterparts just looked on in bewilderment. When the tears had subsided, the couples paired off and attempted to get some rest before their professors showed up for their morning classes.

---------------------------------------------------------

Professor Slughorn entered the Great Hall first, tripping Ginny’s magical detectors for the third time. Professor Sprout and Madam Pomfrey rushed in behind him, alarmed at the racket booming from the Great Hall. The three of them rushed to the tent area, startled to see that the tents looked different. They approached the tents with their wands drawn, when a powerful invisible force field knocked them down.

Tonks, Remus, and Alastor entered the Great Hall just in time to see Harry emerge from the tent looking quite disheveled. He took in the scene, pausing for a moment to allow his brain to catch up before turning around to face the tents.

“Ginevra Potter,” he bellowed. “Get out here and remove these ridiculous wards.”

Seconds later, Ginny emerged from the tent and surveyed the damage caused by her handiwork. Alastor was examining every square inch of the force field, attempting to find a weak point. Tonks and Remus were chuckling discreetly, both of them having reached the same conclusion.

“What’s all the rack?” Ron yawned as he emerged from the same tent as both Harry and Ginny.

Tonks and Remus sobered instantly, their theory having been blown out of the water. “Harry and Ginny weren’t alone. What’s going on here?” they both wondered. Professor Slughorn, Professor Sprout, and Madam Pomfrey all looked to Tonks and Remus for an explanation. Tonks shrugged and Remus shook his head, but they both remained silent and waited for an explanation just like everyone else.

“Is it time to get up already?” Neville asked.

“It feels like we just fell asleep,” Luna grumbled.

They were both rubbing the sleep from their eyes as they emerged from the tent, wincing at the loud din.

“Someone had better explain right now,” Alastor roared over the wailing of the wards. “Right now!”

No one seemed to have noticed that he had finished his inspection and found no weak parts. After several attempts to break through, and several more to silence the wards, he had thrown his hands up in defeat. “Stop this blasted noise,” he bellowed.

Ginny flushed and ducked back into the tent to retrieve her wand. She reemerged and spoke distinctly. “Hungarian Horntail.”

The noise ceased straight away. Professor Sprout tentatively reached out from the floor in an attempt to test the force field. When her arm was met with no resistance, she rose to her feet and helped Madam Pomfrey and Professor Slughorn off the floor.

There was a collective sigh of relief at the welcome silence. Neville, Ron, Hermione, and Luna all hastily excused themselves to get dressed for their morning classes. After apologizing profusely, Harry left Ginny alone with the startled and annoyed Professors to explain her actions.

Ginny, who had no less than thirteen eyes watching her every move, bit her lip and stubbornly refused to tell them about her premonition. “I’m sorry,” she spoke quietly, her voice monotone. “I wasn’t comfortable staying by myself. I asked Harry and them to join me. I just had a bad dream. It won’t happen again.” She sighed deeply before returning to the tent.

When everyone was dressed and ready to go, they all sat down at the tables the Professors had conjured to eat breakfast. The Professors seemed to be aware that their pupils were a little out of sorts and they allowed the meal progressed uneventfully.

After several minutes of idle chatter, Alastor rose from the bench and beckoned to Luna. “We have private lessons today, you and I,” he noted. “We should get started.”

Luna kissed Neville sweetly on the cheek before joining Alastor at the doorway. Alastor’s wooden leg was clacking on the floor as they left the Great Hall.

Madam Pomfrey motioned to Ginny and they both left the Great Hall shortly after Luna.

Ron and Hermione left with Professor Slughorn, while Neville left with Professor Sprout. Once they had all left, Harry stood up and prepared to leave.

“Where are you going in such a hurry?” Tonks asked him jokingly. “We’re not done eating yet.”

“Harry,” Remus sighed. “We need to talk to you about this morning.”

“I know,” Harry admitted. “I was just hoping you wouldn’t ask.” He sat back down onto the bench, opposite Tonks and Remus.

“Well,” Tonks prodded.

“Ginny had a premonition last night. She scared the daylights out of all of us. Well, that’s not entirely true. She scared the guys and me. Luna and Hermione seemed to understand exactly what was happening. I still don’t understand. We have it taken care of though, no need to worry.”

Harry finished his speech and prayed that they wouldn’t ask him what the premonition was about. He was hoping that Remus would assume it was a female problem, since Luna and Hermione were in the know. He knew that he couldn’t pull the wool over Tonks’ eyes about the premonition, but he was hoping she would just follow Remus’ example.

“Harry,” Remus said sternly.

“Yes,” Harry gulped, but kept a straight face.

“As Sirius’ heir, you are the keeper of the conditions of his will. I am required to tell you that…” Remus’ voice cracked and he paused before continuing.

“I moved into the flat, Harry,” Tonks revealed. “It was the condition of Remus keeping the flat.”

“What?” Harry asked, flabbergasted. He couldn’t believe that Tonks would move in just to fulfil Sirius’ will.

“I didn’t move in just because of the will, Harry,” Tonks said reproachfully. “It is a nice flat, mind you, but I love him too.”

“Tonks,” Remus chided. “Are you going to tell everyone?”

“Yes,” she said defiantly. “What about it?”

“What if I wanted to tell someone?”

“Oh,” Tonks mumbled humbly. “Tell anyone you want,” she offered sweetly.

“Is there anyone left to tell?” Harry joked. “Or have you told everyone?”

“I haven’t told everyone,” Tonks protested. “I just told…” She began counting on her fingers. When she had put down each of her fingers twice, she started to laugh. “I have told everyone.”

Harry, Remus, and Tonks all laughed. Their merriment was interrupted by the return of Madam Pomfrey and Ginny. Madam Pomfrey looked rather peeved, and Ginny looked fairly proud.

“How was your class?” Harry ventured. “Did you learn…”

“There is nothing I can teach her,” Madam Pomfrey retorted.

Harry pulled Ginny aside and whispered in her ear. “What did you do to that poor witch?”

Ginny took his hands in hers and moved slightly to the side so that they were face to face. “I didn’t do anything. It turns out that the gift I got from Lily taught me a few things that I didn’t know I had learned. Madam Pomfrey didn’t know what to do, we were working on healing spells and I, well, I protected myself against her healing spells.” Ginny was smiling proudly at her accomplishment.

“I don’t understand,” Harry insisted. “Why are you so happy about that?”

“Of course you don’t understand yet. Let me try to explain better. Dumbledore was right about the power of love. Your Mum was right about the power of our love.” She paused, taking a moment to come up with the right way to explain the change. “My powers have grown exponentially since I allowed the love I feel for you to become integrated with the bond. Do you understand? We all need to try it. I think it will make all of us stronger. I know it will.”

“How can they be separate?” Harry wondered.

“It’s not separate. They just haven’t been joined. You have to make the conscious decision to allow them to become one within yourself. Then, you will have ‘the power the Dark Lords knows not’.”

“How I am supposed to do that?” Harry asked her petulantly. “I don’t know how.”

“Later, my love,” Ginny responded. “Hermione and Ron will be here shortly. We need to wait for them.”

Harry pulled her close and kissed her softly. “Sometimes I think that no matter how horrible it gets, you will always be there to put it all into perspective.”

He looked up and saw that Madam Pomfrey had left. Tonks and Remus were deep in conversation with Neville and Luna. Ron and Hermione were lounging on what looked like an upside-down Muggle inflatable pool. Professor Sprout and Professor Slughorn were nowhere to be seen.

“Where did the time go?” Harry murmured, his lips brushing against Ginny’s hair.

The doors to the Great Hall swung open abruptly and several Ministry Officials entered, clad in the official black robes. Harry recognized Kingsley Shacklebolt, Charlie Weasley, and Arthur Weasley. The other Official he had never met.

Professor McGonagall followed them in waving her wand as she walked. Everything in the Great Hall disappeared, including the inflatable pool that Ron and Hermione had been resting on. They were currently sprawled out on the ground, looking none too happy.

Professor McGonagall conjured a chalkboard, six chairs and individual tables, and several quills. She instructed each of the students to sit quickly. After they had all taken their seats, she began the instructions for the N.E.W.T.’s.

“These are your theoretical exams. Your practical exams will take place first thing tomorrow morning. Each Ministry Official has a copy of a N.E.W.T. that matches one of you. The matched N.E.W.T.’s were made randomly and anonymously. No one knows who has which test. Once you have been handed your test, you may not speak with anyone except your proctor. The proctors can answer questions, but may not complete the test for you. Ready? Begin.” She turned to leave, her robes swirling and swishing with the sudden movement.

Harry got the tall witch whose golden hair was pinned severely in a bun at the nape of her neck. Harry hoped that her appearance, which was similar to Professor McGonagall’s, wouldn’t be an indication of her demeanor. “Rats. I got the only that I don’t know. What bad luck. I hope this isn’t a sign.”

Ginny got Tonks. Luna got Charlie. Neville got Arthur. Ron got Kingsley Shacklebolt. Hermione got Remus. They all looked rather pleased, except for Ron. Ron, who was rather tall himself, appeared to be overshadowed by Kingsley’s height.

The tests went rather quickly. Harry was pleased to discover that he could ask the Ministry Official questions about the test and she would actually answer them. She never gave him a complete answer, one that he could use on the test, but she did clear up quite a few points for him. He was certain that the others were finding their proctors quite helpful. “I don’t think this is how you’re supposed to take your N.E.W.T.’s . I wonder if Professor McGonagall had something to do with this. Maybe this is her way of admitting that we have worked our fingers to the bone here these past two weeks. It’s nice to know that she has confidence in us.”

The tests were over before he knew it. Hermione was the first one finished, followed closely by Luna and Ron. Harry and Neville finished at the same time, leaving Ginny to finish last. She seemed to be stuck on a question, but refused to ask for help or clarification. Finally, Tonks took the paper away from her and peered at the question.

“It’s all subjective,” she told Ginny.

“I know,” Ginny replied. “That’s why it is so important.”

Ginny’s face lit up and she started to scribble quickly on her parchment. She finished quickly and handed her parchment to Tonks.

“You’ll get your results tomorrow morning after your practical tests,” Remus informed them. “Get a good night’s rest. There will be some exhaustive spell work required tomorrow morning.” With a flick of his wand, the Great Hall was just as it was before Professor McGonagall had removed everything.

Arthur and Charlie hung back with Tonks and Lupin, while the two Ministry Officials left.

“Kingsley,” Arthur called. “Thank you.”

“Any time, Arthur,” Kingsley returned.

“Thanks for helping out, Aeariel,” Charlie added.

Harry looked around, trying to figure out who Aeariel was. It dawned on him promptly that she must be the witch who proctored his test. “Keen sense of intuition, Harry.”

Arthur hugged each of his children, including Harry and Hermione in that count. Neville and Luna hung back, trying not to be in the way, but Arthur hugged each of them too.

Charlie hugged everyone too, announcing loudly afterwards that the hugs were courtesy of Molly. “Don’t think I wanted to hug you,” Charlie joked.

Remus and Tonks, who were anxious to get home, escorted Arthur and Charlie out of the Great Hall. They hadn’t spent a moment alone since their revelation of love, and they were looking at another long day.

Ron and Hermione didn’t even bother to walk. They disappeared and by the time that Harry, Ginny, Neville, and Luna had made it into the tent, they were fast asleep. It didn’t take long for everyone to fall asleep. They had expended a great deal of emotional energy completing their theory exams and they had no idea what lay in store for them in the morning.

When Harry awoke, Aeariel was standing over him and Ginny was gone. Without realizing what was going on, he disappeared. He reached out with his mind, desperately trying to find Ginny, or Hermione, or Ron. “Cripes, I’ll even take Neville or Luna.”

Harry watched from the far corner of the Great Hall as Aeariel spun around in confusion. Suddenly, Harry felt Ginny nearby. He disappeared once more, purposefully leaving a tail feather floating in the air.

“I think this is our test,” Ginny whispered. “Where is everyone else?”

“We’re right here,” Luna assured her in a hushed voice.

“All of us,” Ron added.

“How do we pass?” Harry asked.

“I think we have to show them we can protect ourselves,” Hermione offered. “We should go back. We need to show them that we have mastered all of our powers, not just the ability to transform. Although…” She paused, scratching the top of her head. “they might want to see that too. I have an idea.”

Hermione hastily illustrated her plan, with the help of her wand and a moving diagram on the wooden floor of the Room of Requirement.

Aeariel, Kingsley, Arthur, Charlie, and Professor McGonagall converged in the center of the Great Hall. Aeariel was fuming. “How could he have escaped?”

“They might have a few powers that you are as yet unaware of,” Professor McGonagall offered by way of an explanation.

“I suggest we wait for them to return,” Tonks said quietly.

“In the meantime,” Remus directed. “We need to prepare. There is no doubt in my mind that they are planning an attack as we speak. Mr. Weasley has proven very proficient at strategy. I suggest we spread out and get ready.”

Arthur blinked in surprise at the mention of his son, but smiled proudly at the thought. He and Charlie stepped back and stayed close together. Aeariel, Tonks, and Lupin headed to the opposite corner of the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall, Kingsley, and Professor Moody strayed close to the doors in an attempt to block a hasty exit.

It was a sight to behold. Even Professor McGonagall, who had witnessed each of the transformations, gaped in awe. An Eagle soared around the room before landing on a perch built for two. A Unicorn shimmered into existence, causing the entire room to glow. An Albatross appeared beside the Eagle on the perch. A Thestral flared into existence, not only dampening the glow from the Unicorn, but also providing another light source. A Hippogriff appeared beside the Thestral and reared up onto his hind legs frighteningly. Finally, a Phoenix flashed into the room.

The proctors barely had time to react, it had all happened so fast. Before they were able to take in the grand sight, their six students stood before them, armed and ready to fight.

Aeariel shot a hex at Ginny, who promptly blocked it with a shield. The other five closed in on her position and united behind her shield. Ginny stood in the middle of the circle, protected on all sides, and maintained the shield spell. Neville and Luna protected the Southern front. Ron protected the Eastern front while Hermione protected the Western front. Harry stood to the North, facing Aeariel, Tonks, and Remus.

The fight lasted for hours. The adults tried casting every spell they could think of, from every possible angle. Nothing penetrated Ginny’s shield. Once they were caught unaware, one of the other students would stun them. The adults spent the majority of the time running around trying to revive each other, while their students looked on in amusement.

Finally, Professor McGonagall called a halt to the charade of a N.E.W.T. exam. “You passed,” she gasped. “Obviously, you have passed this portion. The lot of you also passed the theoretical portion too. Congratulations.”

Everyone wandered around, shaking hands with everyone else before they left. Harry, Ginny, Neville, Luna, Ron, and Hermione excused themselves to change clothes for their trip to Hogsmeade.

Professor McGonagall excused herself to record the results before they left, asking Tonks and Remus to accompany the ‘kids’ on their trip. “Not that they need it, eh?” She turned and rushed from the Great Hall, presumably heading to her office to confer with Dumbledore.

The group was ready in record time. They couldn’t wait to get to Zonko’s and Honeydukes. They wanted to see the sights and spend their time cavorting around, without keeping to a schedule.

The trip to Hogsmeade seemed to take forever. No one had any patience for the slow moving carriages. Harry smiled as Tonks and Remus charmed them to move much faster than they would have, had the Thestrals been pulling them.

The first thing they noticed upon arriving in the quaint village of Hogsmeade was a colossal sign announcing the newest shop.

Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes
Now Open
(Formerly Zonko’s)


“Only the twins would post a neon yellow sign with letters that alternately flashed royal blue and passion fruit purple,” Harry announced.

“Aren’t those the colors of your new robes?” Ron joked.

“Let the fun begin,” Neville crowed.

Harry and Ginny decided to go see the twins before they did anything else. “I have to talk to them,” Harry told her quietly. “I have a job for them.”

“Do you want to talk to them alone?” Ginny asked.

“Yes,” Harry replied. “I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up before I can confirm that they will help. I promise I will tell you everything after I meet with them.”

“I’ll meet you later,” she told him. “I’m going to go see what Hermione and Ron are up to.”

Harry hurried to the back of the store. He was just about to push through the swinging doors to the back room, we was knocked backwards by someone else who was coming through them from the other side.

“Twins. Not the ones I was looking for, but maybe they’ll know where Fred and George are.”

“Hi,” Harry said tentatively. “I’m Harry. I’m looking for…”

“Fred,” declared the one on the left. “I’m Merilwen, by the way.”

“and George,” declared the one on the right. “I’m Maerwen, by the way.”

“…are still in the back,” Merilwen told him.

“…go ahead and go on back,” Maerwen added.

Harry pushed through the doors and walked directly into a life-sized version of himself. He whipped around and saw one of Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. To his left, he saw one of Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Snape. He was just about to start blasting things to smithereens when Fred and George appeared from behind Hermione.

“Harry,” they boomed.

“Good to see you in person,” Fred teased.

“How do you like the place?” George asked.

“I like it just fine,” Harry said, grinning at them both. “It’s good to see the two of you. Where did you get the other set of twins, by the way?”

“You noticed,” Fred smirked.

“We did too,” George added.

“It’s just too bad,” Fred moaned.

“that we’re taken.” George finished Fred’s sentence easily; making Harry laugh and reminding him how wonderful his life was becoming.

“I have a difficult request,” Harry ventured after they had all stopped laughing. “Can we talk seriously?”

“Seriously is my middle name,” Fred retorted.

“I’m offended that you would think that we couldn’t take you seriously,” George huffed.

“I am standing next to myself,” Harry reminded them, rolling his eyes.

Harry started to share his idea with them, and the conversation did indeed turn serious. The twins listened intently for the better part of an hour before Harry was finished.

“It could be possible,” Fred debated.

“We’d need to get some supplies,” George reasoned.

“You’re going to have to make it,” Fred predicted.

“He’s rubbish at Potions,” George explained.

“and he’s rubbish at Charms,” Fred retorted.

“I’m going to catch up with the others,” Harry laughed. “You guys get started as soon as you can. The sooner, the better.”

“Sure thing,” they called to his retreating back.

Harry pushed through the swinging door and said goodbye to the second set of twins. He didn’t wait to hear their answer before he took off in search of his wife.

A strange noise, in the far off distance alerted Harry to the trouble that was brewing in Hogsmeade. He reached out with his mind, trying to locate her in the crowds. When he found her, her terror nearly bowled him over. He was beyond caring about exposure when he disappeared.

He reappeared beside Ginny, scaring the wits out of Ron. Hermione barely acknowledged him saying only a few terse words.

“It’s about time,” she grumbled.

“What in the ruddy hell is going on here?” Harry demanded.

“Snape,” gasped Neville, whom Harry had overlooked.

“And Malfoy,” Luna added breathlessly.

“Ron,” Harry commanded. “Get it in gear.”

“Right,” Ron stammered, sounding shaky at best. “Right, then. Hermione, Luna, Neville, Harry, take your positions. Ginny, are you ready to put up the shield?”

“Yes,” Ginny shouted firmly. “We’re all ready.”

“Wands everyone,” Ron hollered. “One hand on Ginny at all times.”

Ron, straining both physically and magically, succeeded in moving the group into the dead center of the fray. They were completely protected from any of the spells that were sent their way. Hexes, curses, and even Unforgiveables bounced off Ginny’s shield. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville took out the Death Eaters one by one. Luna busied herself with sending the injured bystanders to St. Mungo’s.

The altercation was drawing to a close when Harry noticed Malfoy out of the corner of his eye. Bellatrix Lestrange was standing behind him, her wand raised and a deadly spell on her lips. Harry watched in fascination, feeling that he could almost see the words as they rolled off her tongue.

Malfoy was facing the street, oblivious to what was happening behind him. Bellatrix raised her wand, just as a shadow caught Harry’s eye, temporarily distracting him from Bellatrix. Harry strained his ears to hear what he already knew she’d said, but her voice was lost in the crowd.

Harry could only watch what happened next with a mixture of both compassion and incredulity.

Snape. The one who had taunted him for six long years. The one who made his life miserable. The one who had betrayed everyone that Harry considered family. The one who had given up his cozy life to serve Voldemort. The one who had killed Dumbledore. The one who threw himself in front of the killing curse meant for Draco Malfoy?

Chapter Fourteen: Family is Forever



Back to index


Chapter 14: Chapter Fourteen: Family is Forever

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Harry and Ginny walked, hand in hand, through the empty streets of Hogsmeade.

“Where do you reckon we should go?” Ginny asked. “There’s not much to do here now, is there?”

Harry was saddened by her morose tone. It was supposed to be their honeymoon. Instead of lounging in bed drinking champagne and eating strawberries, the best Muggle tradition Harry could think of, they were stuck smack dab in the middle of an investigation. The day had turned into a colossal disaster.

After the Death Eater attack, the Ministry Officials arrived to take their statements. Ron and Hermione, who had not seen Draco standing a few feet away, had been incredibly shaken at Snape’s murder. They were taken straight to the Burrow, accompanied by Luna and Neville. Luna told the Officials that they were simply too traumatized to answer any more of their absurd questions.

No one but Harry had seen Draco narrowly avoid death. No one but Harry had witnessed Snape’s bravery. No one would believe that he wasn’t a traitor. Although, the Ministry was having a hard time explaining why Bellatrix would kill the Dark Lord’s most dedicated follower. They refused to listen to Harry’s account, even though it exonerated the former Potions Master. “That’s probably why they won’t listen,” Harry raged. “I’m the last person who wanted to know that Snape was innocent. I know what I saw.” Several times Harry overheard the Officials saying that, at best, he was delirious and suffering from the effects of a spell.

Harry, who had grown weary of the whole situation, took Ginny’s hand in the middle of a question and they vanished. They left the Ministry Officials looking considerably perplexed. Moments later, Harry and Ginny were in the back room of the new location of Weasleys Wizard Wheezes. They waited, watching carefully for any sign of the Ministry. After a considerable amount of time had passed, and they were getting bored of ‘rearranging’ Fred and George’s notes on their latest ideas, the appeared back in the middle of the empty street.

“How about we take a room at the Leaky Cauldron?” Harry suggested, coming out of his reverie.

“Nothing could sound more perfect,” Ginny breathed. “I’m not ready to go home yet. There are too many questions I don’t want to answer.”

“I know, my love,” Harry responded tenderly. “Even if I was ready to answer those questions, do you really think I would turn down an opportunity to be alone with you? Think of all the snogging I would miss out on. Not a chance.”

Ginny giggled at Harry’s bluntness. It had been quite a day. Their emotions had been topsy-turvy all day, as if they had been on a Muggle rollercoaster.

“It all started first thing this morning. It fits into a pretty neat pattern. The terror of the attack and the high of a successful defeat. First our N.E.W.T.s, then the passing grades and a trip to Hogsmeade. Then the attack in front of Honeydukes, followed by the satisfaction of victory.” Ginny allowed herself to congratulate the group on a job well done.

Her shield had allowed the others to round up all of the Death Eaters, except for Bellatrix. She had managed to escape in the commotion after Snape’s death. All of the innocent witches and wizards who were caught in the crossfire had all been tended to and released from St. Mungo’s. No one was clear how the fracas originally started. The attack on the village of Hogsmeade was unprovoked.

Harry and Ginny disappeared and reappeared in the alley behind the Leaky Cauldron. They entered through the back door and approached the bar.

“Tom,” Harry called.

“Harry Potter,” Tom grinned. “What are you doing here? I thought you were with the Weasleys.”

“There was a slight change of plans,” Harry informed him. “Might we talk in private?”

“Of course,” Tom replied briskly. “Follow me.”

Harry and Ginny followed Tom behind the bar and through a hidden door. They found themselves in an office that looked strikingly like a miniature version of the Minister’s office.

“Sit,” Tom offered. “You can speak freely in here.”

“We would like a room for the night,” Ginny requested.

“It’s finally our honeymoon,” Harry admitted, blushing slightly before continuing. “We’d like to be alone and left undisturbed.”

“I understand, young master,” Tom grinned. “Take room three. If it’s alone you want, it’s alone you’ll get. Will you be wanting anything delivered to the room?”

“No.” Harry grinned back; he couldn’t help but get excited at the thought of spending the night alone with Ginny.

“Here’s your key,” Tom said as he handed him a rusty, iron key.

“Thank you, Tom,” Harry responded gratefully. “What do I owe you?”

“For you? On your honeymoon? I won’t take a single Knut from you.” Tom punctuated his sentence by jabbing his finger at Harry across the desk several times. “Now get outta here. I have to see to my paying customers.”

Harry and Ginny followed Tom through the hidden door, emerging into the crowded space behind the bar. They made their way up the stairs, romping around and chasing each other playfully, until they found room three. Harry held out his arm to stop Ginny from barreling into the room.

“I insist, Mrs. Potter,” He commanded formally. “That I carry you over the threshold on our honeymoon night, as per Muggle tradition.”

Ginny, who was not sure what that entailed, was positive that she didn’t like the idea of this threshold thingie. “I don’t…” She had been cutoff in mid-sentence when Harry swept her off her feet. “This isn’t so bad.”

Harry carried her into the room, after struggling with the key for only a moment. He walked slowly, dragging it out and acting very pompous about the whole thing.

“Put me down,” Ginny ordered.

“I’ll put you down when I’m good and ready,” Harry retorted defiantly. “What are you going to do about it?”

Ginny threw her arms around his neck, pulled his close, and kissed him until his breathing was shallow and ragged. Harry took three great steps and threw her onto the bed. In seconds, he was stripped down to his knickers and starting to remove her clothes.

“You’re too slow,” Ginny gasped, her breathing just as ragged as his.

She ignored her wand, and chose instead to tear frantically at the confining shirt and trousers. She had the shirt off and her trousers lay on the ground at the foot of the bed when she suddenly felt exposed. Not knowing what else to do, she launched herself at Harry, kissing him in the places they had discovered previously.

Harry, who could barely see straight after the first kiss, was wholly unprepared for the second onslaught of kisses. He had removed his glasses and Ginny appeared to be fiery haired, albeit fuzzy, goddess leaning over him. His eyes went unfocused as she began her assault on his neck. She moved her hands down his chest, rubbing him so lightly that it tickled and bumbling along uncertainly. She reached his knickers and came to a screeching halt. Her hand hovered over the waistband of his knickers, unsure of what to do next.

Harry, noticing her hesitation, decided to help out. He grabbed Ginny’s hand and pushed her back onto the bed. He propped himself up on his elbow, allowing his left arm to support all of his weight. This left his right hand free to caress Ginny’s remarkable body. He kissed her passionately, letting his hands wander over her silky skin. When his fingertips brushed lightly over her stomach, he felt her shudder at the feelings of pleasure. He ran his hand down lower, clumsily trying to remove her knickers with one hand. He was surprised when she lifted herself off the bed and slid them off for him. He ran his fingers over the pale skin of her thigh, causing her to moan into his mouth.

When Ginny moaned, she felt a subtle change come over Harry. His kisses became deeper and longer. She could feel his hand on her body, leaving a trail of fire everywhere he touched. She closed her eyes, imaging what it would feel like. Her eyes flew open when Harry’s fingers destroyed the snap holding her bra to her body.

She saw Harry’s proud grin and smiled coyly. “I love you, Harry Potter,” she breathed.

“I love you, Ginny Potter,” he responded excitedly.

Ginny pulled him on top of her, wincing as the weight crushed her chest. Harry noticed her discomfort and shifted his weight onto his forearms. He smiled down at her, looking deep into her eyes, searching for permission to consummate their marriage.

She took a deep breath, and projected all the love she felt in her heart. When the moment arrived, she was inadequately prepared for the wave of emotions that washed over her. Ginny had never before felt a pain that was also pleasurable. Her body began to respond to Harry’s and she closed her eyes in rapture.

Harry was trying to control his body, willing himself to be careful with someone so precious. Before he knew it, the physical pleasure had ended. The magic that had flowed between them remained, giving Harry the greatest feeling of power.

Ginny opened her eyes to see Harry’s amused expression. “What?”

“Honey,” Harry chuckled. “Could you let us down now?”

Ginny turned her head to the left and saw nothing; she turned her head to the right in mild panic and saw nothing. She removed her hand from Harry’s back and patted the area around her body where the bed should have been. Her hand met with air and nothingness, but certainly not the bed.

“Relax,” Harry urged.

Ginny was just about to retort that she couldn’t relax when she saw the wisdom in Harry’s words. She breathed in deeply and exhaled completely. She felt herself descending with Harry still above her. She felt the sheets brushing against her legs and shoulders before all of Harry’s weight squashed her again.

Harry moved off of Ginny, letting her breathe freely. He snuggled up to her, wrapping his arms around her and falling asleep. Ginny, feeling absolutely content, fell asleep shortly thereafter.

The morning arrived quickly and a subtle light filtered through the curtains of the room. Harry and Ginny awoke gradually, enjoying their worry free time together. Not once since the attack had either of them thought about Voldemort, the Prophecy, Death Eaters or even the war between good and evil. The only thing on their mind was their love and their future together.

Hedwig rapped on the closed window, startling Harry and Ginny. Harry wrapped a sheet around his waist and jumped up to let Hedwig into the room. She had a note from Ron and a copy of the Daily Prophet attached to her leg.

Harry opened the letter first and read it out loud to Ginny.

Harry and Ginny,

Bloody Hell, you two. What are you doing? On second thought, I don’t want to know. When are you coming home? Mum is going nutters worrying about you. We’re planning on going to see a concert tonight. Dad got us posh tickets. He got tickets for you and Ginny too. Come home so we can all go together. Please? Neville and Luna are driving me crazy. I can’t take much more of them alone together, they’re worse than the two of you.

See you soon,
Ron

By the way, Hermione say to tell you congratulations. Whatever that means.


Harry handed Ginny the letter and opened the Daily Prophet. Ron had circled a huge advertisement. The advertisement announced that Cher, Kiss, and The Village People would be performing in an outdoor amphitheater a few towns over from Ottery St. Catchpole. It went on to say that while witches and wizards were welcome, the outdoor concert was a benefit for a Muggle charity.

Ginny had finished reading the letter for herself and tugged the Daily Prophet out of Harry’s hands. She looked at the advertisement while Harry read the back page of the newspaper.

One Night Only
Cher ** Kiss ** The Village People
(Metamorphagi Extraordinaire)
All sharing the same stage for “Doctors without Borders”
Please note: All witches and wizards are welcome to attend but appropriate Muggle attire is required.
Ottery St. Catchpole, Devon
For ticket information please Owl Stamford Jorkins (MoM)


Harry swore something fierce and Ginny tried to set the paper down, but it was yanked out of her hands before she could let go. Harry read the article one more time before turning it around for Ginny to read.

Skirmish in Hogsmeade

Several Aurors were dispatched to resolve a small scuffle between several witches and wizards unnamed. The Daily Prophet has interviewed all of the Aurors who were present for the tussle. Harry Potter’s name was mentioned, along with his usual cohorts of Robald Wetsley, Virgina Wetsley, and Hemroine Gringer. Two other Hogwarts students joined them, Neville Longbottom, son of Frank and Alice Longbottom and Lana Lovegoof. It is not known whether or not these young witches and wizards were responsible for the conflict or what part they played in hindering the Aurors.

Ginny tossed the paper down angrily. She pulled on her trousers and shirt, ignoring her undergarments. “We need to go to the Burrow,” she decided.

“I agree.”

“Can we go now?” she asked petulantly.

“Yes. We should go before anything else can happen. You can be sure that your Mum has seen that.”

Ginny disappeared while Harry scribbled a note for Tom, thanking him for his hospitality and generosity. Harry signed the note, adding Ginny’s name and disappeared.

When he walked in the door to the Burrow, Harry heard the beginnings of a magnificent row. He had expected there to be some problems when he and Ginny returned, but he didn’t expect them so quickly. The closer he got to the sitting room, the more he realized that it wasn’t Ginny’s voice he heard echoing through the entire house. It was Ron’s. “What did I miss?”

“Is Neville invited?” he thundered. “I mean, he is my newly adopted brother, and you like him better than me, so he should be invited. Right?”

Harry blinked in confusion. “Neville’s been adopted? By the Weasleys? What in the blazes did I miss?” Harry didn’t have much time to think during the short silence as it was quickly broken by Mrs. Weasley’s voice at Howler volume.

“Honestly, Ronald. It’s a given that Neville is invited, and yes, I do like him better than you.”

Harry couldn’t help it. “I tried, honestly I did, I couldn’t help it. There’s just no stopping it.” He broke out into wild laughter. All he could think was that there wasn’t anything further from the truth and Ron must have pushed Mrs. Weasley to the breaking point to get her to make a joke like that. “At least, I think it was a joke.”

Ginny, having heard the tail end of the argument joined in the laughter, causing Ron to grimace in annoyance. Neville and Luna, who were startled to see Harry and Ginny at the Burrow, were laughing too. They weren’t laughing at the quarrel, neither one of them found it very funny; they were laughing at the identical looks of disbelief and irritation on Hermione and Ron’s face.

“You really like him better?” Ron shouted.

“They spelled my name Hemroine Gringer, for crying out loud,” Hermione shouted. “Which do you think is worse?”

“That’s a tough call, Hemroine,” Harry joked. “I think that it’s a very good thing that Mrs. Weasley likes you both. I would hate to see how she would treat you if she didn’t.”

Harry crossed the room and hugged Mrs. Weasley. “Hey Mum,” he whispered. “We’re home.”

“It’s about time,” she replied gruffly. “I was worried about you.” Mrs. Weasley left the room to tend to breakfast.

“That’s the understatement of the century,” Luna announced once Mrs. Weasley had left the sitting room.

Neville nodded in agreement. Ron and Hermione both stopped bickering long enough to welcome Harry and Ginny home.

“What are our plans?” Ron asked.

“Are we going back to Godric’s Hollow?” Hermione asked. “No, we should find the other Horcruxes first.” She was talking more to herself than anyone else in true Hermione fashion.

“Not yet, Hermione. I have this odd feeling about Godric’s Hollow. I’m not sure we want to go anywhere near there now that the sword has been destroyed.” Harry turned to Ron, shaking his head. “Can’t you control your girlfriend? She’s too smart for her own good. I think we should stay here for a while. I’m waiting for an Owl. Until I hear from, from my contacts, we should stay here and take some time to relax.”

“I was hoping you would say that,” Ron said, winking at Harry. “We already ate breakfast before you arrived. We’re off. See you later.” He and Hermione disappeared, leaving Neville, Luna, Harry, and Ginny gaping at the spots where they had been standing.

Neville cleared his throat, tugged on Luna’s sleeve, and shuffled his feet nervously. “We already ate breakfast too. Do you mind if we take off?”

“No,” Harry said, at the same time Ginny said, “Not at all, Neville.”

“Bye,” Luna called over her shoulder as they strolled away, arm in arm.

“What do we do now?” Harry asked.

“Eat breakfast,” Mrs. Weasley answered from the kitchen. “I made your favorites.”

Harry and Ginny sat down to breakfast with Mrs. Weasley, enjoying the small pleasure of being home.

Neville started talking the moment he and Luna were out of the house. “Where do you think Ron and Hermione will go?”

“I think they’ll go to the paddock. How do you feel about going for a long walk with me? There are some things I need to deal with and some things that we need to talk about.”

Neville’s heart raced and he was terrified of what she was going to say, but he wanted to be supportive of whatever choice she made. “Even if it breaks my heart.” “What do you want to do first? Where do you want to go?”

“I want to go home. I want you to see where I live. I forgot how close I lived to Ron and Ginny.” She pointed off in the distance, and Neville noticed a small, angular roof sticking up just beyond the crest of a hill.

“The home it is,” Neville proclaimed. “Lead the way. In the meantime, why don’t you tell me what’s bothering you.”

After several long moments of walking, Luna finally opened her mouth. “Where do I start?” Luna sighed. “Are you sure you want to know?”

“Yes,” Neville said firmly. “I’m sure. Now, stop stalling and tell me.”

Luna smiled; it was her first genuine smile since they had been alone in Professor Sprout’s garden. “You asked for it. This is what I’ve been keep in.”

She took one more step before screaming at the top of her lungs. She hopped up and down and twirled around, the whole while shouting. The sound caught in her throat and she sunk to the ground sobbing.

Neville dropped to one knee beside her and gathered her against his chest. He let her cry until her tears subsided. He gently wiped the tears from her cheeks and kissed her forehead tenderly. “Tell me about him.”

“I wanted to hate him for leaving me. I was mad at him for so long, but I couldn’t bring myself to hate him. I know, deep in my heart, that he was hurting just as bad as I was, maybe more. He had lost the only witch he had ever loved and he was saddled with me. Mum had always been the one to take care of me, so it was understandable that he didn’t know what to do with me. He changed overnight. He stopped brushing my hair at night before I went to bed. He stopped making up silly songs about ‘Laughing Luna’. Pretty soon, I wouldn’t see him for long stretches of time. I wasn’t mad at him for leaving. I was mad at him for thinking I couldn’t handle the pain.”

Neville sat on his haunches, cradling the witch who had come to mean so much to him, desperately wanting to take away her pain. “Tell me about your gift,” he pled. “I’ve been dying to ask you about it.”

Luna lifted her head and frowned. “It’s nothing special, really.”

“Yes, it is,” Neville insisted, “it’s just as special as you are.”

Luna disentangled herself from Neville’s grasp before offering him a hand up. She started to walk towards the hill that now blocked the view of her house. They walked for quite a distance before she opened up to him again. “Have you ever had a dream, one that was so vivid it seemed real? One that was so real you had to convince yourself it wasn’t more than a dream.”

“No,” Neville stammered, surprised at her question. “I don’t remember any of my dreams.”

“I do,” Luna replied softly. “Not only do I remember them, but they come true.”

“You can see into the future?” Neville asked amazedly.

“Yes and no. I can see whatever I am shown. I have seen the past, the present and the future.”

“How do you know which is which?”

“Usually, the dream provides some sort of reference to a time or place. Somehow, I just know.”

“Are you awake?”

“No. I have them when I am asleep. Not every night, but many. Some of the dreams are innocent and offer images of people I don’t know and places I have never been to. Some dreams offer much more.”

“Like what?” Neville was so interested that he allowed himself to pry into her most personal secret.

Luna smiled at Neville’s boyish charm. He had no idea how difficult it was for her to talk about her past. “I was shown my Mother’s death. I was shown my Father’s death. I was shown…” She stopped short. She had been about to tell Neville that she had seen his parent’s being tortured into insanity. “I will never allow him to know that I have seen that. I won’t share those memories with him.” “I was shown our kiss under the Magnolia Tree.”

“Before it happened?” Neville whispered. “That had to have taken all the fun out of it.”

Luna just laughed. “Think about some of the other things I might have seen, and you will go batty thinking about what I might know about.”

They had made it to the opposite side of Ottery St. Catchpole, and were walking up the short path to the front door of Luna’s house. The house, which was in worse condition than the Dursley’s, looked similar to the Burrow. It was an older, quaint, lived in house. In fact, it looked just like the Burrow, except that it had only one floor.

Neville and Luna spent hours investigating the remnants of the house. They walked through each room, examining trashed bits of Luna’s childhood and leftover pieces of her parent’s lives. After Luna had forced herself to physically make it through the entire house, she gave in to her emotions. Again, she sat, cradled in Neville’s arms, and cried.

The sun was beginning to set when they left the house. By the time they reached the Burrow, the sun was at the horizon and the stars were just beginning to twinkle merrily.

“Goodness,” Mrs. Weasley called out to them from across the garden, “we wondered when you’d be returning, dears.” She noticed Luna’s red eyes and nose and her slumped posture. “Care to join us for a late supper?” she offered pleasantly. She picked up a stack of plates, preparing to take them outside to the picnic tables.

“We’d love to,” Luna replied, her face brightening at the idea.

“Can we help you with anything?” Neville offered, but his voice was drowned out by Ron’s voice as he thundered down the stairs.

“Mum.” Ron’s voice resonated in the small kitchen. “Mum, we want to go to the pitch after supper to play Quidditch. When is it going to be ready?”

“Ronald Weasley,” Mrs. Weasley barked. “You are interrupting. That’s incredibly rude.”

“Sorry, Mum,” Ron apologized as he rounded the corner and saw Neville and Luna.

Ron tried to make amends for his bad manners by taking the plates from his Mom and heading out to the garden. Luna excused herself to freshen up and Neville trailed after Ron.

By the time Mr. Weasley got home, everyone was seated on the long benches at the tables waiting for him. The food sat in the middle, piping hot and waiting to be eaten. Once Mr. Weasley was seated and the plates full of food, there was a short period of silence while the food disappeared. The chatting and joking began as soon as Ron swallowed his first mouthful of food. The merriment continued throughout dinner, granting everyone a reprieve from his or her thoughts.

Mrs. Weasley announced at the end of dinner that it was too late and too dark to play Quidditch that night. To her surprise Ron didn’t argue and he helped clear the table without argument. Harry and Ginny offered to do the dishes, and started them magically before joining the others in the sitting room.

Ron and Hermione were in the middle of a violent game of Wizards Chess. Luna and Neville were curled up in front of the fireplace, snuggled together, watching Arnold play on the carpeted floor. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were seated together on the larger sofa. Mrs. Weasley was reading another one of Gilderoy Lockhart’s books, while Mr. Weasley was trying to figure out how to use a Muggle toy. Harry watched him for several minutes, unsure of how to explain that you weren’t supposed to take the Rubik’s Cube apart.

“Mr., Arthur,” Harry began patiently. “You aren’t supposed to figure out how to take that apart.”

“Why not? What do you do with it then?” Mr. Weasley looked at him with an expression of utmost confusion and excitement.

“The object of the game is to match all of the colors. See the little squares? Yes, those tiny ones. The idea is to match all of the little squares on one side. No, you don’t take it apart. You just twist them around. No, it’s better if you do it one at a time.”

Harry was growing frustrated, but not with Mr. Weasley. He could hear Ginny’s snickers behind him and he knew that Hermione was hanging on every word he said, waiting to correct his explanation. Harry was saved when Ron chastised Hermione for ignoring the game.

“May I?” Harry asked Mr. Weasley.

Mr. Weasley handed him the Rubik’s Cube, and Harry showed him how to spin the sides and align the colors. After several minutes of failure, Harry waved his hand over the cube and spun the colors magically until they matched. The display of power caused Ginny to stop giggling and she started to clap instead.

Harry handed the toy back to Mr. Weasley, who looked at it with an odd mixture of amazement and disgust. “Do Muggles really think this is a fun toy?”

Harry shrugged as Mr. Weasley started to twist the pieces around, trying to mix the colors up again. Harry decided to join Ginny on the floor near Luna and Neville. Soon, they were playing an interesting game of keep-away. Crookshanks had found his way into the sitting room and discovered Arthur, who was still running around on the floor. After stalking him for quite some time, he pounced. Arthur narrowly missed being a snack by darting up the leg of Harry’s trousers.

Harry conjured a Muggle tennis ball, complete with feathers, and charmed it to flit around like a small bird. Whenever Crookshanks would get too close to it, Harry or Ginny would grab it and toss it a few feet away. It would rebound from the floor and hover about a foot off the ground, dodging here and there. As soon as it would start to flutter about again, Crookshanks would be off; chasing it closer to the group until someone took it away.

Hermione groaned, catching Harry’s attention. He saw that her King had tossed his sword onto the chessboard and Ron was crowing in triumph. Hermione crossed the room and joined in Ginny’s conversation.

“Want to play, Mate?” Ron called across the room.

“Sure,” Harry responded, running his fingers through his hair while he crossed the room.

His parents were on the sofa and his wife on the hearth. His two best friends were in love. Even Neville and Luna had found happiness. As he sat down to set up his players, Harry couldn’t help but think that life was pretty good, in spite of Voldemort’s efforts to the contrary.

Chapter Fifteen: Problem Solved, Obstacles Overcome


Back to index


Chapter 15: Chapter Fifteen: Problem Solved, Obstacles Overcome

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Fifteen: Problem Solved, Obstacles Overcome


Ron proclaimed, with his mouth stuffed with his favorite breakfast foods, that there was no chance he was going to miss out on a game of Quidditch.

“The weather is perfect. There’s not a cloud in the sky. I’m heading down to the pitch after breakfast, garden gnomes be damned,” he declared. “I’m too tired after the concert last night to do yard work.”

Hermione had a look on her face that told them she about to object, but surprised everyone when she actually spoke. “Could I join you?”

To say that Ron looked shocked beyond belief would be a severe understatement. He could barely respond, for it seemed that he had lost the ability to speak. “What?” he choked. He shook his head and cleared his throat. “Sure, of course,” he stammered. “We’d love for you to join us, right Mate?”

Harry looked bewildered at having been brought into Ron and Hermione’s discussion. “Yeah, sure. Right, Ginny?”

Ginny, who had been engrossed in conversation with Neville and Luna, looked up in extreme confusion. “If you say so, Harry.”

Neville looked lost. Luna, who had been keeping an ear on both conversations, was the only one who didn’t look baffled. “I think we should all play,” she offered. “I’ll commentate.”

Ron looked both happy at the prospect of another round of Luna’s commentating, and disappointed that they didn’t have enough people to play a proper game.

Harry, sensing Ron’s disappointment, offered a suggestion. “What if we play with smaller teams? We could have two Chasers, a Beater, a Keeper and a Seeker. That way, if we find four more people, we could play a proper game.”

Like magic, Fred and George showed up at the breakfast table yawning largely.

“Morning,” Fred mumbled, sitting down next to Harry. “Bloody amazing concert last night.”

“Early morning,” George corrected, sitting next to Luna. “I think we got home in the morning.”

“Hurry up and eat so we can play Quidditch,” Ron demanded. “We have almost enough people to play.”

“We’re still short two people,” Hermione noticed. “What are the two of you doing here?”

“Sleeping,” Fred responded promptly, filling his plate with food. “We were too tired to Apparate home last night.”

“Eating,” George added, already in the middle of eating the food he had nicked from Fred’s plate.

“and apparently, we’re going to play Quidditch with the lot of you,” Fred continued.

“after which, we need to talk with our most,” George enunciated each word carefully.

“benevolent benefactor,” Fred finished smartly.

Ginny wasn’t surprised to see her twin brothers, and even though she had no idea what was going on, she knew it must be a good thing. They wouldn’t have left the shop unless they had completed the task Harry had set them to. “Way to go, guys!”

The group was just getting up from the table when Bill and Fleur Apparated into the kitchen. They were looking happy, just having returned from their honeymoon to Russia. Ron looked away from Fleur’s beaming face and quickly caught Hermione’s eye.

Ginny and Harry rose to greet them, asking how the trip went. Hermione and Luna joined Ginny in asking Fleur about all the places they visited. Ron, Fred, and George merely gave Bill a hard time about being married to one witch for the rest of his life. Harry refrained from entering the catcalling, choosing instead to ask where they had stayed.

Just as Ron was asking Bill to join them for a game of Quidditch, Remus and Tonks Apparated into the kitchen in search of Harry. In no time, everyone was on their way to the pitch for a long awaited game of Quidditch.

Remus and Tonks had agreed to play, only if they could chat with Harry afterward. There was a brief scuffle when the twins argued, saying that they had already made important plans to speak with Harry after the match.

“We called it,” Fred roared melodramatically.

“Yeah, we were here first,” George added hotly, sounding like a spoiled tot.

“We can’t wait around all day,” Remus reasoned. “We have to get back to business for the Order.”

“Well,” Fred retorted. “La-ti-dah.”

“We have our own business to get back to,” George argued.

“You of all people should be happy about that,” Fred pointed out.

“Fred. George. Cut that out,” Ginny called. She had a feeling that they were about to reveal something they shouldn’t.

Remus, looking very confused, offered to let them go first since they had indeed been there first. Tonks, who was seemingly oblivious to the argument, suddenly announced that they had either two people too many, or two people too few to play a proper game.

“Oh, no,” Luna announced, as if the idea of her playing Quidditch were the most ridiculous thing in the world. “I’m not playing. I’m commentating.”

“I seemply cannot play,” Fleur exclaimed dramatically. “I shall seet in ze stands and cheer on my ‘usband.”

“It’s settled then,” Remus declared. “Who shall be the captains?”

“Fred and George,” Harry insisted. “Let them pick the teams.”

“If we didn’t know you better, little brother,” George grinned.

“we’d think you didn’t want us playing on the same team,” Fred continued, grinning as broadly as his twin.

“After all,” George added.

“we do make an imposing pair of Beaters,” Fred finished, causing everyone to laugh.

The teams were chosen quickly. After much deliberation, each team had a name. The Chosen Ones were George, Hermione, Remus, Tonks, and Harry. Harry was the only one who didn’t find their team’s name quite as funny as everyone else did. The Arse Kickers were Fred, Ron, Ginny, Bill, and Neville. When the teams squared off in the middle of the pitch, they were evenly matched.

Ginny would fly against Harry as Seeker. Ron and Tonks were playing the Keepers. It was agreed that Bill would fly against Remus as a Chaser and Hermione would fly against Neville as they other set of Chasers, which would keep the skill level comparable. Fred and George, of course, were the Beaters for their respective teams.

Luna kept score while they played, and commentated in her dreamy voice. It had been so long since she used that voice around them that Ginny almost fell off her broom when she first heard Luna’s commentary. Fleur cheered for both teams equally, being only slightly biased towards her husband’s team from time to time.

The Quidditch game and the resulting rematches took all of the morning and most of the afternoon. Around noon, Mrs. Weasley had sent Errol with a message that lunch was ready. The game had been going strong and the seekers had been after the Snitch when the message arrived. Fleur and Luna hadn’t dared to holler across the field and interrupt the heated race to the Snitch. Of course, the Snitch was lost in an instant and, after a while; the game resumed play. The note lay on the grass in between Luna and Fleur, forgotten.

A second note arrived around three, announcing that supper would be ready promptly at five. The note also mentioned that they should all be there, or suffer the consequences. Luna and Fleur had a chuckle over Mrs. Weasley’s veiled threat and agreed to keep an eye on the time. Fleur even conjured a Muggle alarm clock, but neither of them could figure out how to stop the jangling. Fleur waved her wand, the obtrusive clattering stopped, and the alarm clock was gone.

It was only when Mrs. Weasley sent a Howler to the paddock that the game stalled. The noise from the humble crimson envelope echoed across the paddock. Neville, who had been about to throw the Quaffle at the hoops behind Tonks, was so jarred that he accidentally flew into Hermione, knocking her off her broom.

Ron was on the ground in a second, gathering Hermione into his arms. He checked her thoroughly for broken bones or any cuts and bruises. When he was satisfied that she was not hurt, he helped her to her feet. Neville apologized profusely; continuing on until Hermione waved him away, insisting that she was fine.

Grudgingly, the weary group trudged up to the house. There was an air of sadness to be leaving the merriment behind but they were all looking forward to Mrs. Weasley’s good cooking.

Dinner was boisterous, thanks to the addition of Fred, George, Bill, Fleur, Remus, and Tonks to the picnic table. Once everything was served, everyone dug into the enormous spread.

Ron looked around in bewilderment. “Where’s my knife?”

Harry, grinning widely pointed at Fred and George. “I think you might want a new one though.”

A stern glance from Mrs. Weasley didn’t stop Fred and George, who were juggling all fourteen knives. Harry and Ron watched in stupefied admiration as the serrated edges came within a hair of their own heads. Hermione and Tonks, who were both laughing so hard they couldn’t breathe, were the only ones who seemed to know what was going on. On one pass, as Fred tried to show off, one of the knives came dangerously close to Molly’s ear.

Before anyone could gasp at the near miss, Arthur had his wand out and all fourteen knives froze in midair. “Enough,” he directed in a harsh voice. “Sit down, boys. Let’s eat.”

Meekly Fred and George sat down and proceeded to eat with gusto as if nothing out of the ordinary had just happened. Harry and Ron exchanged an identical look of consternation. “I can count the number of times Dad has punished us on one hand,” Ron whispered. “He’s never raised his voice unless something happened to Mum.”

“Muggles juggle for entertainment,” Hermione explained to Fleur.

“Eet is so dangerous,” Fleur grumbled. “How is eet entertainment?”

“Not everyone uses knives,” Hermione said knowledgeably. “I saw a juggler once that juggled four apples at once. While he was juggling, he ate one of the apples.”

Fleur remained impassive and looked highly unimpressed. She dug into her food with a lady-like grace, grimacing at both Ron and Harry’s enthusiastic eating habits.

Once the food was eaten and the dishes cleared from the table, Remus and Tonks approached Harry.

“Great game, Harry,” Remus observed. “You didn’t miss a beat when you were chasing after that Snitch.”

“I’m glad I was on your team,” Tonks noted. “We pulverized them.”

“We did win two out of three, didn’t we?” Harry grinned. “Thanks to our excellent Keeper and one of our high-scoring Chasers.”

Tonks and Remus both blushed slightly and protested weakly at the praise. Harry clapped Remus on the back before whispering in his ear. “I need you to wait until tomorrow to brief me on the Order activities. I can’t explain right now, but I have urgent business to discuss with Fred and George. Privately.” He raised his eyebrows to punctuate the secretive nature of his ‘urgent business’.

Tonks nodded in understanding. “Wotcher, Harry,” she agreed.

“Shall we stay, my dear?” Remus asked gallantly.

“But of course,” Tonks replied. “I see an interesting game of Exploding Snap starting over yonder, shall we join them?”

Remus chased after Tonks as she skipped across the lawn to join Bill, Fleur, Neville, and Luna in their already dodgy game of Exploding Snap. Before they made it to the table, Remus caught up with Tonks, lifted her in his arms, and spun her around.

Harry shook his head slowly at their antics. He could hear Tonks’ enthusiastic laughter reverberating in the warm evening air. It was nice to see them enjoying each other’s company. “They are perfectly suited to each other.”

Fred and George, seeing that Harry was finally available, hurried over to speak with him. They arrived mere seconds behind Ginny and Hermione.

“Harry,” Hermione called as soon as she was within earshot, oblivious to the approaching twins. She was still laughing as she approached him, just having watched Ron trip over his own feet. “We have a teensy problem.”

Harry was prepared for anything but problems on this perfect evening. “I’m not sure I want to know what it is, Hermione. I still have to talk to Fred and George. Until I hear what they have to say, I’m not sure I want any bad news.” His words, which were serious, were at odds with his light tone.

“I don’t have bad news,” Hermione exclaimed. “I just realized something during supper and I wanted to…what are you talking with Fred and George about?”

“I’m not at liberty to say,” Harry smirked. “That’s private business, that is.”

All three of them chuckled at his impression of Hagrid. The day had been too perfect to ruin it with bickering or bad reports. Harry gave Ginny a peck on the cheek before joining Fred and George, who looked positively mutinous.

“I believe that we have some unfinished business,” Harry informed them quietly. “Shall we take a walk?”

Fred and George bust into identical grins. “Yes, Lets.” They each offered Harry an elbow, as if to escort him to the desired location.

Harry thought about all of the changes that were about to take place if the twins had been able to do as he had asked. “What will Tonks think?”

Without warning, Fred and George came to an abrupt halt. Harry, who had been lost in his own thoughts, felt himself yanked backwards held in place only by the twins’ arms.

“We did it,” Fred crowed. “The potion is perfect.”

“Success,” George bragged. “Utter success.”

“Are you certain?” Harry asked cautiously.

“Well,” Fred began.

“We haven’t exactly had anyone to test it on,” George admitted.

“That’s where you come in,” Fred finished lamely.

“You need me to find you a test subject?” Harry asked incredulously. “After all those times that Hermione told you off for testing on the students?”

“We couldn’t just advertise our specific needs,” Fred commented dryly.

“It might be a dead giveaway,” George pointed out.

“Oh. I never thought about it that way,” Harry said, finally understanding the situation. “Will it harm the test subject? What if we tested it on someone without their knowledge? If it doesn’t work then there is no harm done and they never have to know. If it works, then we could tell them, right?”

Fred and George nodded, following Harry’s daring plan.

“When should we do it?” Harry asked. “And how will we convince him to test the potion?”

“You get him to the shop in Hogsmeade tomorrow,” George said authoritatively.

“We’ll do the rest,” Fred finished.

“Done,” Harry agreed, smiling at their self-assuredness. “We’d better get back to the festivities.”

With a new bounce in his step, Harry returned to the gathering of people. He found Ginny involved in a competitive game of Muggle Frisbee with Bill. As he approached her to tell her of the news, he heard a loud shout.

“Fore,” Bill called out.

Harry instinctively ducked, just in time to avoid the Frisbee as it sailed through the air where his head had just been. Harry straightened up just in time to see Ginny dive for the Frisbee laughing hysterically. She caught in easily and rolled gracefully, ending up in a sitting position near Harry’s feet.

“Hi honey,” she gasped, still giggling at Bill’s error.

“Muggles only call out ‘four’ in golf,” Hermione said knowingly, informing Bill of his faux pas.

Harry helped Ginny to her feet and she threw the Frisbee to Ron, who had eagerly decided to join the game after seeing Ginny’s spectacular dive. Harry and Ginny stood together, his arms wrapped around her waist and his hands linked with hers, for some time watching their family and friends play games and horse around without a care in the world. It was only when Fred and George suggested that they play the Muggle game, Hide-and-Seek, that Harry and Ginny unlinked their hands and joined the fun.

After the first round, Harry pulled Remus aside. The game continued on around them as Harry steered him to a quiet spot under the Magnolia tree.

“I’m taking the entire family to Hogsmeade tomorrow,” Harry began quietly. “I would like it if you and Tonks could join us. I fear that it is not safe to talk about the Order’s business here. As you know, after the attack in Hogsmeade, there are people trying to spy on us. I think it would be much safer if we talk in a place where we cannot possibly be overheard.”

“What area of Hogsmeade do you think is safer than the Burrow?” Remus asked skeptically.

“Weasleys Wizard Wheezes,” Harry replied with a straight face.

“Fred and George? They run a joke shop,” Remus protested.

“Fred and George are the masters of concealment and trickery,” Harry corrected.

He pointed to the area where the game of Hide-and-Seek was still going, full force. Fleur was ‘it’, the witch who had been caught last. She was stalking a figure that was hiding behind the garden shed. Harry’s body tingled with anticipation as she crept nearer to her target.

“Watch this,” Harry whispered, not wanting to alert Fleur to their position.

Remus and Harry watched in delight as Fleur grabbed the arm of the figure and spun it around. Harry heard the sharp intake of breath beside him when Remus realized that the figure behind the garden she was him.

“That’s me,” Remus babbled. “How?”

“Fred and George,” Harry replied, grinning. “Here’s the best part.”

Fleur stood next to the figure, puzzling over how to ‘fix’ Remus. She pulled out her wand and tried to revive him. The figure exploded into confetti, scaring the daylights out of both Fleur and Remus. Harry exploded into a loud fit of laughter. He was not surprised in the slightest since he had already seen the life-sized figures and their capabilities.

Fleur’s screams, coupled with Harry’s somewhat overzealous laughter, brought everyone to the garden she to see what the commotion was about. Remus could only point at what was left of the figure. Harry was still laughing too hard to offer an explanation.

Finally, Fred and George took pity on Fleur, who was shaking rather badly from the experience. They took turns explaining about their new invention before offering a demonstration.

“The Order had been using out Dark Decoys,” Fred explained.

“but they weren’t very realistic for close combat,” George continued.

“so we invented these,” Fred finished.

“They’re called Decoys for Dummies,” George announced.

“You grow them from pills,” Fred began.

“Like so,” George ended.

He tossed a pill onto the ground. Everyone watched as a small bubbled formed in the grass. It looked like a small balloon being inflated as it expanded rapidly. Soon, it was a life sized version of Ginny, complete with flaming red hair and the shorts and tank top she was wearing.

“We made several versions before we figured out how to make them mimic your current state,” George explained.

“Each time you grow them, they will look exactly as the witch or wizard they were modeled after does,” Fred continued.

“We had to find a way to make them distracting when a spell hit them,” George said importantly.

“or they wouldn’t be much of a distraction.”

“Some explode into confetti,”

“while others explode with Canary Cream.”

“Improved Canary Cream!”

“It turns you into a Canary upon contact,”

“No more having to ingest the cream for it to take effect.”

Neville grimaced slightly at the mention of Canary Creams, remembering his disturbing experience as a canary himself a few years ago.

“Our favorite explodes into a giant sparkling sign that announces our new product line of U-No-Poo”

“and it emits a high pitched whistle alerting everyone to its presence.”

“That’s my favorite too,” Harry interjected.

By the time they finished their explanation, everyone was howling with laughter. Fleur and Mrs. Weasley were the only two who were not laughing, but even they were chuckling.

“Well done, boys.” Mr. Weasley clapped his hands in delight and complimented them on their efforts.

“Ze rezemblence, it vos uncanny,” Fleur said, shaking her head, “an zen it seemply blew up.”

Once everyone had calmed down, Harry informed them that he and Ginny were taking them on a vacation to the village of Hogsmeade. Mrs. Weasley protested vehemently, while Mr. Weasley protested weakly.

Fred and George said that they couldn’t wait until tomorrow to return to their shop.

“We’ve got stuff to do,” George explained.

“and people to boss around,” Fred quipped.

With a ‘pop’ they were gone. Harry went back to convincing Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to join them the next day.

“They have something for everyone,” Harry cajoled. Night was falling when Harry finally persuaded them to join him.

“We’ll leave first thing tomorrow,” Ginny informed them.

Harry, Ron, Bill, and Neville stayed outside to clean up the mess that had been made by the evening’s activities. The last thing Harry did before he entered the house, after picking up Bill’s Frisbee, was to reinstate the wards that Ron had designed. “With a fair bit of help from Hermione, I would assume.”

The next morning came quickly. Breakfast was served by a harried Mrs. Weasley. “There’s so much to do before we leave,” she fretted.

“Mum,” Harry boomed. “Don’t worry about a thing. Ron and I will make sure the house is well taken care of before we leave.”

Mrs. Weasley seemed to relax slightly. She stopped frantically pacing back and forth in the small kitchen, but her frown lines didn’t disappear. Harry approached her, unsure of how to comfort her.

“What’s the matter, Mum?” he asked quietly.

“What if there is another attack?” she asked him worriedly. “What if someone gets hurt?”

“I seriously doubt there will be another attack after the losses they suffered last time,” Harry assured her. “If they attack, we are prepared. If there are too many, the DA will…”

Harry suddenly realized what Hermione had been trying to tell him the night before. “Damn. How could we forget? Damn!”

Mrs. Weasley was starting to look frightened. “Forget what? What happened with the DA?”

“We were supposed to meet with them in Hogsmeade when we got attacked. We…I completely forgot to call a meeting after that. If we’re attacked, they might not all come. It’s a risk we’ll have to take.”

Ron, Hermione, and Ginny had all been listening carefully as Harry tried to reassure Mrs. Weasley. Together, they all added their own reassurances. Ms. Weasley still didn’t seem convinced.

Neville and Luna, who had been sitting nearby and overheard the entire conversation, piped up.

“Mrs. Weasley,” Neville said, fumbling over his words, “I was supposed to call the meeting.”

“It’s not your fault, Neville,” Harry cut in. “I should have remembered to notify them after we returned from Hogsmeade.”

Luna coughed loudly catching everyone’s attention. “I notified them.”

“When?” Harry asked, already knowing the answer. “When Ginny and I remained behind at Hogsmeade?”

“Yes,” Luna replied. “You’re not mad, are you?”

“Mad?” Harry sniggered. “How could I be mad when you saved my arse?”

“Harry,” Mrs. Weasley admonished.

“Well,” Harry began, “she did!”

“So,” Hermione interrupted, “everything is set, right?”

“Set,” Ron echoed.

“Let’s go then,” Mrs. Weasley announced, apprehension still apparent on her face.

“If you’re not comfortable,” Harry began, but his voice abruptly died in his throat when he saw the look on Mrs. Weasley’s face, “or we can grab a pinch of Floo Powder and head to Fred and George’s shop in Hogsmeade.” Harry continued to babble on for quite some time before Ginny forcefully interrupted him.

“We’ll meet you there, Mum,” she announced over Harry’s ramblings.

She looked to Harry, a question burning in her eyes. Harry nodded in response and taking a deep breath, she finished the rest of her announcement in one breath. “Get Dad and Floo there. Take Bill, Fleur, Neville, and Luna with you. None of them like to Apparate too much. Harry and I are taking Remus and Tonks with us. Ron and Hermione will meet us there.”

She took another deep breath before grinning at Harry. “Did that just about cover everything?”

Harry pulled her close and kissed her soundly. “It was perfect.”

Remus and Tonks joined them and Harry took Remus’ hand while Ginny took Tonks’ hand. Then they linked their own free hands together. In an instant they were in Hogsmeade, in the back of Fred and George’s shop.

“Wait here while we find Fred and George,” Harry instructed.

“If I were you,” Ginny warned, “I wouldn’t touch anything.”

Ron and Hermione waited patiently while everyone grabbed their Floo Powder and, one by one, left through the fireplace. Ron and Hermione disappeared shortly after Neville stepped into the towering green flames. They appeared in front of the fireplace as the rest of the family arrived. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley jerked in surprise when two identical voices emerged from the darkness in front of them.

“Welcome to the shop,” the first voice said.

“Enjoy your trip,” the second voice added.

“Who are you?” Mr. Weasley asked interestedly at the same time that Mrs. Weasley shouted, “Show yourselves.”

There was a rustling and a spoken incantation before the room was flooded with light. Arthur and Molly looked around before their eyes fell upon the two witches standing in the doorway, wearing identical amused expressions.

“Fred is upstairs preparing some new products for approval,” the one on the left offered.

“George is upstairs finishing up on his latest project,” the one on the right added.

“Hi, Merilwen. Hi, Maerwen,” Harry called out as he walked through the store doors. “Where are Fred and George? They have visitors.”

Ron, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, and Bill all chimed in together to tell Harry that Fred and George were upstairs.

“And they’ll be down in a minute,” the twins chorused.

“Can I just go up?” Harry asked impatiently. “They really need to know that they have visitors in their back room.”

Harry gritted his teeth in frustration as he pointed to the door he had just come through. He didn’t know how much Fred and George had told them, and he didn’t want to risk revealing anything too soon. Finally, exasperated with waiting, he just disappeared. He reappeared upstairs in between Fred and George, who were peering at a small square box.

“Watch this,” Fred called out as he beckoned to Harry to come closer.

George pointed at the square box and snickered. “You did hear Ginny tell them not to touch anything, right?”

“I find it hard to believe how skillful we are sometimes,” Fred bragged.

“I know. The things we come up with are nothing short of pure genius,” George boasted.

“We knew that you’d warn them, so we put a charm,”

“…all Fred’s doing, mind you…”

“…on the room that made a tray of food and drink appear,”

“…only once you had left the room…”

“Obviously, we didn’t know which glass to spike,”

“…so we spiked both of them…”

“We’ve been watching the monitor, waiting,”

“…waiting to see their reaction…”

“I give it another three minutes,” Fred predicted and continued talking as if his twin didn’t continually interrupt him. “Either they’ll glow blue, or they won’t.”

“Of course,” George chuckled, “we’re hoping that Tonks doesn’t glow.”

“What would that mean?” Harry asked.

“It would mean that either Tonks is a werewolf,” George remarked brightly.

“…which could be cool in itself…”

This time it was Fred who did the constant interrupting.

“Maybe that’s why they’re both so tolerant when they other interrupts. They both do it all the time.” Harry stared at the monitor, thinking for a second that he had noticed a change.

“Or it means that the potion is rubbish,” George finished feebly.

“There’s no chance of that,” Fred insisted. “You made that potion yourself, George. Don’t sell yourself short. Give it time, it will work.”

Just then, Harry grabbed George’s hands and whirled him around with the force of a hurricane. He was laughing and tears were streaming down his face. His throat was so restricted he could barely breathe and there was no chance that he could get a single word out.

“Blue?” George wailed.

Harry could only nod.

“He’s BLUE,” Fred gasped. “You did it!” He grabbed one of George’s arms out of Harry’s grip. Then he grabbed Harry’s other arm and they spun about madly chanting ‘BLUE’ at the top of their lungs.

That was how they were when Harry flashed them down into the shop so they could share their good news with everyone. Harry was expecting that they would be met with stares of confusion, but he was unprepared for what he saw.

Mrs. Weasley was being held tightly by Mr. Weasley. Bill and Fleur were kneeling by Luna and Neville, who were hovering over Hermione. Ron was pacing back and forth, muttering under his breath and swearing about something that Harry couldn’t hear, while Ginny tried to calm him down. Remus was standing a few feet away, holding Tonks closely, glowing a brilliant shade of sapphire.

The twins stopped chanting when Harry made a mad dash over to where Hermione lay still on the floor. “What happened?” he bellowed.

“She took one look at Remus and fainted,” Bill offered.

“Could someone explain what’s wrong with me?” Remus asked conversationally. “Maybe take the time to explain why I’m glowing like a Bertie Botts blueberry bean?”

Harry glanced up to see Remus crack a smile. “I’ll leave the explanation of the glowing blue to Fred and George,” Harry said calmly. “I will tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Nothing at all. Not anymore.”

Ron grabbed George by the collar of his shirt and started shaking him. “What have you done to my girlfriend? Why won’t she wake up?”

“Ron,” Mrs. Weasley thundered. “Stop that racket this instant. Yelling won’t help a thing.”

Harry asked everyone to back away from Hermione. Luna gently lowered her head onto the floor of the shop before backing away. Once they were clear of Hermione, Harry gestured to Ginny to come help him.

“Hold her hand in yours,” Harry instructed.

“What do I do now?” Ginny wondered.

“Ennervate,” Harry blurted the first thing that came into his mind.

“Ennervate,” Ginny echoed.

“At the same time,” Harry instructed.

“Ennervate,” they said together, their voices blending perfectly.

The spell, with their combined power, did what they could not do separately. Hermione took a shuddering breath and sat up shakily.

“What did Fred and George do to Remus?” she mouthed, her voice barely above a whisper.

Fred and George, who had been trying to keep calm and quiet, couldn’t take the pressure of the excitement any longer.

“WE CURED PROFESSOR LUPIN!”

“What?” Mrs. Weasley asked faintly. “You did what?”

“We fixed the Wolfsbane Potion,” George sang.

“It’s permanent now,” Fred chattered. “He’ll never transform again.”

Remus stopped glowing blue as he crashed to the ground in a dead faint. He nearly took Tonks to the floor with him. She fanned her hands in front of his face and slapped him lightly a few times until he came to.

He shook his head groggily and smiled weakly at Tonks before turning to address Fred and George. “You know I love the two of you like my own kids,” he gasped. “Don’t say that again.”

“You’ll get his hopes up,” Tonks admonished with tears in her eyes. “You’ll get my hopes up.”

Fred and George looked wounded.

“You know, Fred,” George began hotly. “I don’t think they understand what we’re telling them.”

“You know, George,” Fred responded just as heatedly. “I don’t think they do.”

They both turned to face the crowd with irritated expressions on their faces.

“We invented a NEW and IMPROVED version of the Wolfsbane Potion. It cures lycanthropy completely. No werewolf will ever transform again. We tested it on Professor Lupin —sorry, Sir- without his permission —again, we’re really sorry, Sir- and proved that it works. Perfectly.”

“Please don’t faint again,” Harry pleaded.

“I don’t understand,” Remus cried.

“You’re cured,” Luna reasoned.

Hermione jumped in to help convince Remus that they weren’t teasing about the cure. “Hundreds of witches and wizards will be able to live happy and fulfilling lives because of their invention. Not that they need any help, but they’ll be famous because of their discovery.”

Ginny jumped in to help out too. “The only thing is,” she began seriously. “We’ll have to keep an eye out for…”

“Swelled heads,” Ron interrupted. “We don’t want them to go floating off into the atmosphere with their big heads.”

Everyone got a good chuckle out of Ron’s comment. Remus asked a million questions. Tonks also made a few comments, when she could get them in between Remus’ questions, most of them starting with some form of ‘you’re serious, aren’t you’ or ‘this isn’t a very funny joke’.

After a long while, when Remus had come close to losing his voice from the strain of all of the questions he had been asking, he finally calmed down.

Mrs. Weasley stopped hugging Fred and George. Mr. Weasley stopped shaking their hands. Hermione gave her final ‘congratulations’. Ron and Neville had no idea what to say, so they settled on pretending to doff imaginary hats to the twins. Luna and Ginny hugged Remus and Tonks. Harry was in the middle of the room, his arms outstretched, twirling in circles, feeling happier than he could ever remember.


Chapter Sixteen: What Are Families For?


Back to index


Chapter 16: Chapter Sixteen: What are Families for?

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Ron pulled Harry aside in the early afternoon, asking to speak with him privately. Harry paused when he saw the scowl that briefly creased Hermione’s face. He didn’t need to be a skilled Legilimens to know what she was thinking. Her thoughts would have come across clearly to a Muggle with no discernible magical power. Harry was certain that she would have been mortified to know that her emotions were so boldly displayed. He was positive that she was trying to hide them. “She probably thinks that she is hiding them well.” Harry turned to Ron with a concerned expression.

“It’s not about Hermione, is it?” Harry asked hesitantly. “I don’t want to interfere and she doesn’t seem too happy that you’re…”

“I can’t tell you right this second,” Ron hissed. “Can we just go?”

Harry called to Ginny, who had been heatedly debating the use of a certain Peruvian Powder with Fred and George. She waved at him and pointed to a clandestine meeting place. He crossed the room, meeting her under a display of fireworks.

“Did you want something from me?” Ginny whispered seductively into his ear.

They hadn’t been alone together since their honeymoon, and Ginny’s mind kept jumping back to that night. She loved the feelings that her memories created in the pit of her stomach. In the past days, Ginny had taken to creating scenarios in her mind, scenes where she cornered Harry and had her way with him. Something in Harry’s eyes caused Ginny to pause. “He looks so serious. We should be celebrating. Everyone is here, and Fred and George closed the store so that they were able to celebrate with us. I wonder what is going on.”

“Ron and I are going out for a bit,” Harry sighed. “No, Luv, I don’t know what’s going on. As soon as I find out I will try to get a message to you.”

Ginny’s face flushed a becoming shade of rose. “How is it that he can do that to me? It’s more than just reading my mind; it’s as if he’s inside my skin. I wonder if he can feel everything I’m feeling.”

“Yes,” Harry whispered huskily with his mouth pressed against the lockets of hair curling around her ear. “I can. I have those same feelings. Later, my Luv, I promise.”

“Hurry back,” Ginny begged. “I want to go to Honeydukes before we leave.”

I will,” Harry promised. “Explain this to Hermione, would you? She looks fit to burst.”

Harry threw a sympathetic look over his shoulder at Hermione before exiting Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes with Ron.

Ron practically tore his arm out of its socket tugging him across the lane. They hurried down the other side of the street and past an empty shop. Ron stopped abruptly before the Post Office, ducking into a small shop with no advertisements in the window. Harry was certain that this shop was as vacant as the previous one, but was quickly proved wrong when he followed Ron through the doorway.

Harry gaped in amazement as the shop came to life. Candles flared on the walls as the door to the shop swung closed. They heard the click as it latched into the frame. Suddenly, the entire shop and its contents were illuminated.

Harry wondered how Ron could have possibly known about this place. There wasn’t a single item in this store that would sell for less than one hundred Galleons. “Who could afford to shop in a place like this?”

“Harry,” Ron whispered urgently. “The sales witch will be out any minute. I know this is awkward timing, but can I, I mean, would you…”

Harry watched Ron’s face as the blush crept up his neck, coloring his cheeks and forehead. Harry suddenly realized what Ron was trying to ask him.

“I don’t have any money on me,” Harry replied regretfully. “Not enough for anything in here.”

“You don’t need money,” Ron whispered back, trying to explain without sounding desperate. “They can charge your Gringott’s Vault.”

“Oh,” Harry replied, feeling very unsophisticated. “I didn’t know that they could do that.”

“So,” Ron choked. “Do you think?”

“Of course,” Harry assured him. “Get whatever you want. Consider it a gift from Ginny and I.”

Ron snorted and his eyes grew serious before he answered. “I can’t take it. I will pay you back.”

“Consider it a gift, then,” Harry instructed. “A ‘Thank You’ for helping to defeat the most evil wizard of all time.”

Ron still looked unsure, worrying about the cost of the gift he was about to purchase. He had not confided in Harry that he had commissioned the gift much earlier, even though he had no way to pay for it. Paying for it hadn’t mattered, only how he felt about Hermione. Ron felt an amazing amount of guilt as having deceived his best friend.

“Ron,” Harry fumed. “Stop acting like a git. I know that you ordered this ages ago. I’m assuming it was the day of the attack. I’m not upset. I don’t think you were keeping anything from me. You certainly didn’t deceive me, and, yes, I will teach you to harness the power that I am currently using.” Harry paused when he saw the look of relief and gratitude on Ron’s face. “Money is no object here. Hermione deserves the best. So do you. Stop hemming and hawing and call for the sales witch.”

Ron rang the tiny bell to call for the sales witch. Harry, who had been too preoccupied with the beautiful jewelry, had not even seen it floating midair near the counter. At once, the sales witch Apparated into the showroom and began to speak with Ron about his selection.

Harry drifted off to the other side of the showroom, drawn to a singular piece of jewelry. As he approached, the case that the particular piece of jewelry was housed in opened silently. There were four pieces in the case, but the piece that Harry was intent upon was the only one that floated out for him to appraise.

Harry held out his hands for the earrings floating at chest level. They glided into his open and waiting hand. They were a stone he had never seen before, carved into the most intricate shape. The stone itself was a creamy white, but deep within its center, were crimson streaks that blazed in the light. As he moved his hand back and forth, allowing the light to hit the stone at different angles, he was certain that he saw the feather rustle as the air flowed over his hand. Suddenly, Harry was positive that these earrings were real feathers, made of fire burning deep inside the stone. It was if the feathers had been plucked from his own tail, shrunk to the size of a Knut, and encased in this magnificent stone.

Harry found himself in a deep trance as he stared at the earrings. They moved only slightly at first, taking on lifelike characteristics as the seconds ticked by. Before Harry knew it, the earrings were floating on an imagined breeze. It was as if they had just been picked up, ceremoniously released, and allowed to find their own gradual path back to his hand.

The feathers grew blurry, as did the entire shop. Harry found himself standing in the middle of a large field watching a Unicorn run freely thought the grass and flowers. He looked, instinctively, to the sky and saw an Eagle and an Albatross soaring through the clouds. There was something else, something in the distance. It glinted in the sunlight, reflecting each individual ray of the sun, crating a rainbow of color that infiltrated the sky. The Eagle and Albatross flew nearer to the shining object, but never reached it. The Unicorn appeared to be trying to shimmer closer to the object, but evidently, it was blocked from getting any closer. One by one, they disappeared, until there was none left.

Harry closed his eyes, trying to block out the powerful emotions tied to the absence of his friends. He thought about the Phoenix feather earrings and realized that he had not seen a Phoenix in the field. Terrified of, yet resigned to the meaning, Harry opened his eyes in a weak attempt to search for the Phoenix. He knew the Phoenix would not be there, he knew that he would not be there.

His thoughts were on the ones he loved as he opened his eyes. His eyelids cracked open, allowing the light to flood into his eyes, temporarily blinding him. When his vision cleared, Ron and Hermione stood beside him. Ginny was sitting cross legged on the ground next to him, one hand caressing his calf, the other resting comfortably on her stomach.

He could make out multitudes of people crowded into the field that had been empty seconds before. He saw familiar faces, he saw strangers. He could not tell the difference between friend and foe, Muggle and Wizard. He had tried to take a step closer to the crowd to search for Neville and Luna, but his body was stiff and he could not move. He searched desperately for the Weasleys, hoping that he would be able to find all of them without moving.

Harry’s eyes came across Mr. and Mrs. Weasley first. Her eyes were red, even from a distance, and he could see that Mr. Weasley was shaking as he held his wife. Despite all of that, they were both putting on a brave smile. Then he found Charlie, Fred, and George. They were standing together, huddled in a circle, as if protecting someone from being trampled by the other people. Harry saw a figure on the ground through a small gap in between Fred and George’s legs. He puzzled over the identity of the lone, crumpled figure only for as long as it took him to draw in a deep breath.


His vision began to clear, and he was jerked back into reality just in time to hear Ron say, “Fire Opals, you say? They’re beautiful.”

Harry felt the earrings settle back down into the palm of his hand, providing a modest, but comforting weight. “Fire Opals?” Harry echoed. “Are these available for purchase?” He was profoundly grateful that Ron had not noticed his departure from reality.

The sales witch looked at him closely. She held his gaze for a full, uncomfortable minute before her chin dipped once indicating her assent. “It is, Mr. Potter. Are you only interested in purchasing the earrings, or would you like to commission a matching necklace?”

“The earrings will be plenty,” Harry replied quietly. He had the distinct feeling that she knew something about the earrings that she wasn’t sharing.

Harry and Ron followed the sales witch to the counter. That was when Harry noticed that she was floating in a manner similar to Ginny’s. He blinked several times, thinking that his eyes were again playing tricks on him. When he had rubbed his eyes, her feet were planted firmly on the floor, and Harry figured that his mind was playing tricks on him.

The inexplicable vision and the peculiar feelings served only to further his desire to buy the earrings. The sales witch was asking him something as he caressed the earrings in his hand.

“Excuse me?” Harry asked. “I missed what you said.”

“How did you want to pay, Mr. Potter?” she asked.

Harry turned to Ron, feeling incredibly stupid. Ron smiled at Harry’s discomfort and embarassment. “Tell her you want her to take it out of your Gringott’s Vault,” he instructed. “You’ll need your number.”

“Number?” Harry hissed.

“Your vault number,” Ron explained.

“Oh,” Harry said, feeling rather ignorant. He turned to the sales witch, who was awaiting his answer patiently. “Could you take it out of my Gringott’s Vault? It’s vault number 143.”

She smiled at his hesitation before writing up the sales slip. She turned to Ron and asked him how he planned to pay for his purchase.

“You can take the money from my vault for his purchase as well. Vault 143.” Harry had jumped in, trying to save Ron any further humiliation.

Another sales slip was quickly generated and Harry and Ron thanked the sales witch profusely as they exited the shop. They had only made it a few yards away from the entrance to the shop when Hermione met them in the middle of the lane.

“Hermione,” Ron exclaimed.

“Where have you been?” she demanded.

“You don’t know?” Ron asked incredulously.

“Would I ask you if I knew?” Hermione exploded. “Why are you avoiding the question?”

Harry took this opportunity to rejoin his wife and family at Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes. He looked over his shoulder a few times as he crossed the street, just to make sure that Hermione hadn’t strangled Ron. Just as he pushed the door to the shop open, Harry heard Hermione’s shrill voice.

“You insolent little snip.” Her voice rang out across the lane, causing Harry to chuckle as he entered the shop and closed the door gently behind him.

Harry smiled at Ginny’s questioning look. “I’m sure that we’ll find out shortly. In the meantime, I have something for you,” he said mysteriously.

Harry and Ron were both speaking from their heart when they explained about their gifts. Neither could have known how similarly unique their conversations would be.

********************

Ron listened to Hermione rant at him for a good while before he tried to interrupt smoothly.

“Hermione,” he began quietly. “Could you let me get a word in?”

“You insolent little snip,” she spat.

“I hardly think that is deserved,” Ron retorted dryly. “Here I am, trying to give you a gift, and you’re attacking my personality.” His words held a touch of humor, but his eyes were serious.

Hermione sobered instantly. “Is that where you’ve been?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, Ron. I’m so sorry,” she babbled. “I was certain that you and Harry had left Ginny and I behind to go and search for the cup. I had a dream and I was alone and, oh, I’m sorry.” Tears were streaming down her face by the time she finished.

Ron pulled Hermione into a tight embrace. “We couldn’t leave you behind,” he said lightly, “you’re the brains of this operation.”

“Promise you won’t leave me behind. Ever!” Her voice was fierce and she was now fighting back a fresh flood of tears. A sob caught in her throat and she buried her face into Ron’s shoulder.

“I promise,” Ron said clearly. “I couldn’t imagine you not being by my side. That’s why I got you this.”

He held out the small onyx package. She took it with trembling hands, afraid to open it. She hoped, against hope, that it wasn’t a ring. She didn’t want to have to turn him down. “Someday after this is all over, definitely. To Ron, absolutely. Not now, though,” she pondered thoughtfully. “There are too many things to worry about. I can’t, we can’t afford to be distracted by something so frivolous.”

She opened the box, a feeling of dread creeping up her spine. She thought about closing her eyes, but decided that it would just prolong the torture.

“Ron!” she exclaimed in surprise and pleasure. “It’s beautiful.”

She took the small object from the box, cradling it in the palm of her hand. After turning it over several times, she picked it up by the attached chain and dangled it in front of her nose. From that angle, she could see every tiny stones inside the miniature hourglass. The whole charm was smaller than a thimble. She brought the hourglass closer to her eyes to watch as the tiny rubies and diamonds cascaded through the center as she tilted the hourglass. She tore her eyes away long enough to glance at Ron.

“You’re not disappointed?” he asked hesitantly. Before she could respond, he took a deep breath, and while trying to remain calm, proceeded to explain what had been going through his mind when he ordered her gift. “I had this custom-made for you. I hope that you weren’t expecting a ring. Don’t get me wrong. I am asking you to marry me. Just not now, ok. We need to focus on getting the last Horcruxes and helping Harry.”

Ron finished his speech and looked Hermione in the eye. She seemed as relieved as he felt.

“For once, Ronald Weasley, you and I are on the same page. I want to wait too, but I know you are the one for me. Would you put this on for me?”

Ron took the necklace from Hermione and stepped behind her to fasten it around her neck. He was temporarily stymied by the abundance of hair. He made a strangled sound, hoping she would understand his dilemma. She quickly grabbed her hair, twisted into a bun, and held it up off her neck gracefully. Ron secured the clasp with as much finesse as he could muster.

“It’s perfect,” she breathed as she let her hair down.

“There’s just one more thing I need to tell you,” Ron mumbled in a very embarrassed way.

Hermione spun about to face him. “What?” she demanded.

“There’s a charm on that necklace,” he mumbled. “It tells me when you are in trouble.”

“It does? How does that work? Where did you find the spell? Was it among the notes you got from James?” Hermione’s questions came rapidly and she barely paused between each question.

“I love you,” Ron stated clearly.

“I love you,” Hermione replied, “but that doesn’t answer any of my questions and…”

Hermione stopped as she felt the necklace turn over against her neck. She lifted the chain so she could see the charm. The Rubies and Diamonds glowed a soft lilac color, making them look like Alexandrite.

“The necklace will return to this color if you are in trouble.” Ron pulled Hermione close, holding her as if he hadn’t seen her in ages.

When they parted, the necklace had returned to normal. Hermione turned the hourglass over, watching the rubies and diamonds fall, as she thought about what Ron had just said. “How will you know?”

Ron lifted his shirt wordlessly. On his chest, directly above where his heart would be, was the faded image of an hourglass. “I will know.”

Ron released his shirt and allowed it to cover his chest before pulling her close again. He felt tears pooling in his eyes. He willed himself to be strong, to forget the dreams- no nightmares that he had been having lately. He refused to let go of Hermione, he was going to do everything required to make sure that she made it through this war.

Ron continued to hold Hermione as they walked toward the shop. This made walking rather difficult, but neither of them seemed to notice. Ron pulled the door open and motioned for Hermione to enter first.

They made it three steps into the store when they were showered with confetti. Some of it was obviously made out of enchanted parchment, as it screamed out ‘congratulations’ as it fell.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other, wondering what the commotion was about, before they noticed Mrs. Weasley scurrying over to congratulate them.

****************

Harry held out a small onyx package, identical to Ron’s. Ginny took it with a questioning look on her face.

“What is it for?” she asked.

“I saw it and thought of you,” Harry told her, leaving out the part about the vision.

Ginny opened the box and removed the earrings. “Harry, they’re gorgeous.” She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him enthusiastically. She disentangled herself and put the earrings on.

“So you like them?” he asked, feeling a bit self-conscious.

“I love them. Almost as much as I love you,” she exclaimed.

“Ron’s giving Hermione her gift right now,” Harry told her quietly.

“Ron’s asking Hermione to marry him?” Mrs. Weasley shouted from across the shop, where she had been listening intently to every word that had passed between Harry and Ginny.

She pulled the Extendable Ear from her own ear before bustling over to Harry and Ginny.

“Mum,” Harry admonished. “Don’t you know better than to eavesdrop on people’s private conversations?”

“I just wanted to make sure everything was right,” Mrs. Weasley said defensively.

Ginny pulled back her hair to show her Mum the earrings that Harry had given her. Harry blinked his eyes rapidly. He thought for a moment that he had seen the feathers move again. “Maybe I’m getting a bit wonky. I wonder if I should take myself to St. Mungo’s. What would I tell them? I can just see it now. Hello, Healer Smythe. I’m here because the earrings that I got my girlfriend are causing some severe hallucinations. No, no, nothing like that. I just see them moving and it makes me think that the end of the world is here. I see. Yes, I do think that I have been under some stress lately. Nothing too extreme, just a bit worried about destroying the most powerful wizard of all time. No. I’m not having troubles in my marriage. No. I’m not jealous of Voldemort for having freedom.”

When Harry finally drifted back, he saw that Molly was scrutinizing the earrings, fingering the notched edges carefully. For a fleeting moment, Harry wondered if she was seeing the same things that he had.

“They’re wonderful, honey,” Mrs. Weasley assured Ginny. “What is this I hear about Ron and Hermione?”

“It’s nothing,” Harry insisted. “Ron got her a small gift. It doesn’t mean what you think it means.”

Mrs. Weasley was already humming the Wedding waltz and her eyes were glazing over. She hadn’t heard a word past ‘gift’. “I’ll have to make some plans.”

“Really, Mum,” Harry objected. “He’s not asking her to marry him.”

“Does the gift have diamonds?” Mrs. Weasley questioned.

“I don’t know,” Harry admitted. “I didn’t get to see it.”

“Yes,” Ginny interjected. “It has diamonds. Several of them, actually.” She looked at Harry apologetically, hoping that he knew that Ron had only chosen to confide in her because she was a girl. He would have preferred to confide in Harry, but Harry was a bloke. “And what do blokes know about romance?”

“I knew it,” Mrs. Weasley crowed. “Quick everyone, we’ll need to congratulate them when they return.”

“We have just the thing,” Fred announced as George held up a bag of ordinary looking Muggle confetti.

Hermione entered through the door first and Ron followed closely behind. Fred and George released a massive cloud of confetti. The confetti, to everyone’s amazement, began to cheer and shout the phrases ‘congratulations’ and ‘way to go’.

Mrs. Weasley barreled toward Hermione and Ron. She grabbed Hermione’s left hand and turned it over. A look of shock flooded her face, followed quickly by a brief look of disappointment.

“You aren’t going to do anything traditionally, are you?” She composed herself quickly and smiled at her youngest son. “If you want to wait, then we’ll all just have to wait.”

She turned to Fred and George. “I have everyone paired off but the two of you,” she boasted. “You’re next.”

“What about Charlie?” Fred demanded.

“We’ve been with our girls longer than he’s been with his,” George retorted.

“You have girlfriends?” Mr. Weasley broke into the conversation, derailing his wife’s upcoming speech.

Harry decided it was time to end the painful charade. “Fred’s dating Katie and George is dating Angelina. Wait. No, that’s not right. Fred and Angelina are together and George is with Katie. Ginny and I are going to Honeydukes before we head back to the Burrow. Does anyone want to join us?

Hermione and Ron both jumped at the opportunity. Remus and Tonks agreed that they would enjoy a trip to the sweet shop. Fred and George declined, suddenly interested in finding their girlfriends. Luna and Neville also declined, as did Bill and Fleur. They all seemed keen to get back to the Burrow for some quality time together.

Harry, Ginny, Remus, Tonks, Ron, and Hermione all left the shop, spilling out into the lane, laughing and joking as they made their way to the Honeydukes.

Hermione was the first to notice that the moon was out at an early hour. Tonks was the first to notice Remus shaking uncontrollably. Harry was the first to point out that the moon was full, which Ginny pointed out was a silly thing to say. Hermione started to fret about Remus. She insisted that she had confidence in Fred and George, but the possibility still existed that their potion might not work as they had planned.

“We should keep an eye on him until the full moon passes,” she said reasonably. “We need to make sure that he won’t transform.”

Remus continued to tremble, but agreed with Hermione and insisted that everyone continue walking to the sweet shop. He and Tonks lagged behind slightly as she helped him hobble along.

Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione walked four across, each couple holding hands. Harry reached out slightly and took Hermione’s hand, startling her. Harry shared his strange vision with them, hoping that Hermione would know what it meant. When the vision was done, Harry looked to Hermione for help, but it was Ron who answered his questioning look.

“It means that we need to find that bloody cup, and fast.”

Hermione nodded in agreement and started to speak. Harry dropped her hand to pull his wand out of his robes. He performed his favorite Prince spell.

“Muffliato,” he whispered. “Now we don’t have to whisper the whole time. Go ahead, Hermione.”

“Do you know where to find it?” Hermione asked.

“No,” Harry replied truthfully, “but I think Ron does.”

“I think we need to take a trip to Diagon Alley tomorrow,” Ron proposed.

“Harry?” Hermione asked, trying to confirm Ron’s proclamation.

Harry felt Ginny squeeze his hand and he ran his thumb over the back of her hand softly before he responded. “I agree with Ron.”

“Ron, you know I love you. Please don’t take this the wrong way. Harry, why are we going to Diagon Alley?” Hermione seemed highly confused by their choice of search location.

“I remember Dad saying something about some of the artifacts that he had come across while working at the Ministry. If Hufflepuff’s Cup was seized in a raid on a Death Eater’s house, then it would have been sold at auction if it was not claimed.” Ron trailed off, suddenly unsure of himself. “It wasn’t claimed, right Harry?”

“It couldn’t have been claimed,” Harry assured him. “Hepzibah was dead and her family wasn’t aware that the cup was missing until it was too late.”

“Surely they would have reported it to the Ministry,” Hermione objected.

“The Ministry was in chaos at the time,” Ginny reminded her.

“My theory is that Tom held onto the cup for a while. He waited until he had a following of loyal Death Eaters before he handed it off. The Ministry raided them and the cup was seized.”

“If the cup was seized,” Ron explained, “I have a good idea where it will be.”

“In Diagon Alley?” Hermione questioned.

“It could be at that shop that Dad used to tell us about,” Ginny speculated. It was the opposite of Borgin and Burkes.”

“The opposite?” Harry echoed.

“Borgin and Burkes is located in Knockturn Alley. They specialize in Dark artifacts. The store that Dad spoke of is located in Diagon Alley. They specialize in artifacts that are magically powerful, but only powerfully good. They don’t touch anything that deals with the Dark Arts.” Ginny turned abruptly. “I think we’d better wrap this up.”

Tonks and Remus were running towards them. Tonks was bawling, but her hair was a vivid pink color. Remus was laughing hysterically.

Harry was caught unaware when Remus tackled him to the ground. Harry could hardly breathe from the weight on his chest. Remus could hardly breathe because he was still laughing.

After a short while, Remus’ laughing subsided, as did Tonks’ tears. “I know this is your doing, Harry,” Remus whispered. “Thank you.”

Tonks leaned down, crouched near Remus and Harry’s faces and stuck her tongue out at Harry. “From the bottom of my heart,” she whispered. “Thank you!”

Tonks rose from her stooped position. Hermione and Ron hauled Remus from the ground. Ginny pulled Harry off the ground and dusted him off. They entered Honeydukes laughing and joking, the same as when they had left Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.

Ron and Ginny both purchased an abnormally large quantity of chocolate with Harry’s Galleons. Ron explained his purchase by insisting that they might meet Dementors in Diagon Alley. “Who knows where they’re roaming?”

Ginny refused to explain her large purchase, telling everyone that her business was her own. She winked at Harry, making him blush to the roots of his hair.

After Tonks and Remus made a few small purchases, they headed to the Three Broomsticks to have a quick Butterbeer. After they downed their drinks, they all headed back to the Burrow.

Despite the late hour, they arrived just in time for one of Mrs. Weasley’s famous dinners. It was a good thing. Ron’s stomach was rumbling louder than the song that was playing on the WWN.

Chapter Seventeen: Future interrupted

Back to index


Chapter 17: Chapter Seventeen: Future Interrupted

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Chapter Seventeen: Future Interrupted



Remus and Tonks finally got the chance to pull Harry away as he was helping to clear the table. Harry started to protest that he was tired. His mind was on Ginny and the wink in Honeydukes. At that moment, Harry was more interested in what his wife had done with all those Chocolate Frogs than what the Order was currently doing.

“Harry,” Remus began slowly. “I’ve been patient, but I must insist that we speak.”

“Oh, all right,” Harry grumbled. “But you had better not cause any trouble for me with Ginny.” Harry had only mentioned this for Ginny’s sake, who had come bounding into the sitting room where Remus had dragged him.

“I’ll go explain it to her,” Tonks offered. “We overdue for a chat.”

“Our chat had better be short,” Ginny warned. “Harry and I have some urgent business to attend to before we have to leave for Diagon Alley tomorrow morning.”

“I’m sure that Remus will keep it short,” Tonks promised. “Right, Dear?”

Harry tried unsuccessfully to hold back a snort at the tone Tonks had taken, which sounded remarkably like Mrs. Weasley when she was upset with Mr. Weasley.

He waved goodbye to Ginny and Tonks, who joined the others in the kitchen for dessert.

“What is going on with the Order that can’t wait?” Harry asked immediately.

“There has been a threat made against you,” Remus said without hesitation.

“What sort of threat?”

“A very serious one.”

“Who made this threat?”

“We don’t know, but we assume that it was made by someone who is higher up the ranks.”

“It doesn’t sound like you don’t have much information for me,” Harry said seriously.

“We don’t,” Remus said without humor. “We’re still working on getting more information from our source.”

“Let me guess,” Harry quipped, “your source is not too keen on giving up everything.”

“Not even close,” Remus said, sounding relieved that Harry wasn’t furious with him.

“Well,” Harry said reasonably. “What information do you have?”

“We know that they are planning to attack you and your family,” Remus admitted.

“When? Where?” Harry demanded.

“We don’t know,” Remus answered slowly. “We could only get one other word out of him. ‘Hokey’. Does that mean anything to you?”

Harry’s eye narrowed in recollection. “Why, yes,” He breathed, “it does.”

Remus was taken aback by the look of fury in Harry’s eyes. “Is there something that you aren’t telling me?”

“I’m sure there are lots of things,” Harry replied cheekily. “This is something I have to work out on my own. I’m going to need to talk with Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, and Ginny before we leave for Diagon Alley tomorrow. Thank you for the warning.”

“Harry, I don’t think,” Remus began, but Harry was already leaving the room.

By the time Remus caught up with Harry in the kitchen, he had already spoken with the others. One by one, they had left the kitchen, Remus could only assume that they would be meeting elsewhere shortly. “You shouldn’t go to Diagon Alley tomorrow,” Remus said quietly. “We don’t know if the threat is valid.”

“You don’t understand,” Harry responded quickly, but as politely as he could given the current circumstances. “We have to go to Diagon Alley tomorrow. We have urgent business.”

“This urgent business stuff is getting tired,” Remus sighed. “What business do you have in Diagon Alley tomorrow?”

“That is between Dumbledore and I,” Harry replied. “And, Tom,” he added as an afterthought.

“Will you allow us to escort you?” Remus asked tersely. His mind raced at the introduction of Lord Voldemort. The trip to Diagon Alley was already a complicated mess; he didn’t want to think about how much worse it would be if the Dark Lord showed up in Flourish and Blotts.

“If you must,” Harry agreed reluctantly. “I hardly think that we need it. Neville, Luna, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and I are prepared to take care of ourselves.”

“We must,” Remus insisted, intent on ending the discussion. “We’ll be ready at first light tomorrow morning.”

Harry nodded with resigned acceptance. “I need to you to promise me something.” Harry stressed each of his words carefully. “Promise me that if I ask you to take Tonks and leave, that you will do so without question. Should something happen, there will be no time for argument. We are prepared for what is bound to occur tomorrow. You are not.”

Remus sputtered indignantly. “We’re both highly trained Aurors, Harry. I hardly think that there is a need to treat us like children.”

Harry simply stood patiently, waiting for Remus’ promise. He looked deeply into his eyes, willing him to agree to the terms.

Finally, after several awkward minutes, Remus nodded. “I don’t understand, but I accept your judgment.”

“Thank you,” Harry responded before disappearing.

By the time Harry made it to the garden shed, Neville and Luna had been found and informed of the situation. Harry greeted them warmly before moving to embrace Ginny. He nodded at Ron and smiled happily at Hermione before becoming serious.

“Let’s step outside so we have more room,” Harry suggested.

Once they were outside, Harry looked around carefully and spoke the incantation, “Muffliato.” Once he was certain that they were not being watched he turned to Ron.

“Ron, are you ready?” Harry asked.

“I am,” Ron boasted. “We just need to go over the details once more.”

“Harry, are you sure this is…” Hermione was cut off by the loud ‘pop’ of an arriving House Elf.

“Harry Potter, Sir,” Dobby squeaked. “Winky is needing your help.”

“What’s the problem?” Harry asked curiously, wondering how he could help the diminutive House Elf.

“She is sending the plans with me,” Dobby informed him. “She is needing your approval.”

Harry took the immense scroll from Dobby, conjured a large table to lay it on, and proceeded to unroll the parchment. Ginny looked over his shoulder, as did Ron, Hermione and Neville. Luna hung behind, twirling a piece of hair around her finger absently.

“This is nonsense to me,” Harry exclaimed, after spending a few minutes trying to figure out if the parchment was even facing the right way.

“It goes like this,” Hermione instructed as she flipped the parchment over and turned it right side up.

“What are these plans for, Dobby?” Ginny asked curiously. “It looks like…” Ginny hesitated when she realized that the plans were an exact replica of the Burrow.

“The Burrow,” Ron interjected, finally shoving Harry aside so he could see the drawings. “What are you building?”

“Dobby cannot say,” the elf trembled. He looked ready to duck, just in case Ron got angry.

“Dobby,” Harry said agreeably, “you can tell everyone what this is for.”

“No, Sir,” Dobby squeaked unhappily. “Dobby cannot.”

“Why not?” Ginny asked, a look of understanding crossing her face. “Oh.”

“Mrs. Harry Potter understands,” Dobby squeaked, this time sounding happier. “Please explain to Harry Potter.”

“Ginny,” Harry began. “What in the blazes is going on?”

Ginny leaned close to Harry, whispering frantically in his ear. Several looks crossed Harry’s face in the few moments it took her to relay all of the information. Harry turned his head slightly, an excited expression lighting up his face, and whispered into Ginny’s ear. This back and forth pattern continued for quite some time, irritating both Ron and Hermione to no end.

Finally, Ron exploded. “What? Just tell us what!”

“Harry Potter cannot say,” Harry said in a perfect imitation of Dobby.

Ginny looked at Harry; mortified that he had made fun of Dobby. Hermione cracked up. Her face brightened as the unfounded fear left her instantly. Neville smiled uncertainly, waiting for someone to start yelling. Luna smiled serenely, lacing her fingers in with Neville’s. Even Ron, who had just been on the verge of anger, smiled at the expression on Dobby’s face.

“Harry Potter, Sir,” Dobby began sadly. “You are upset with Dobby?”

“Dobby, No,” Harry practically shouted. “I’m not upset with you at all. I’m sorry for teasing you. I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s just that you seem so confident when you say that, I was hoping that it would get Ron off my back. I have a message for you to give to Winky. If you are willing to take it.”

Dobby brightened considerably when Harry told him of the message. “Yes, Sir. Dobby is always willing to help Harry Potter.”

“Please tell Winky that I approve of ALL of her plans. Also, tell her to begin at once, there’s no time to waste.”

Harry reached out to shake Dobby’s hand. Dobby looked up at him, huge tears glistening in his eyes as he shook Harry’s hand.

“It looks wonderful, Dobby,” Ginny said sweetly. “Please give Winky my compliments on her fine work.”

“I will Mrs. Harry Potter,” Dobby stammered as he bowed low, his nose almost touching the floor. “Thank you.”

Dobby gathered the plans from the table and left with a small ‘pop’. Harry banished the table quickly. He had every intention of restarting the meeting without further delay. “It just doesn’t seem meant to be,” he thought wistfully as he saw Charlie running toward the shed and his girlfriend following behind at a slower pace.

“Harry Potter,” Charlie roared when he was within shouting distance. “What is this I hear about you taking my siblings with you to Diagon Alley tomorrow?”

“What? How did you find out?” Harry asked. He wondered why Remus had told Charlie about the planned excursion. He wouldn’t have told Charlie, Harry decided. Harry was still contemplating how Charlie could have found out about their trip when they made it to the garden shed.

“Why didn’t you answer me?” Charlie asked irritably. “I know you heard me.”

Harry looked at Charlie, wondering what in the name of Merlin he was talking about, when he saw Ginny snicker out of the corner of his eye. Harry watched in amazement as Ginny waved her wand discreetly at her side and muttered a spell, her lips barely moving as she spoke. “She’s too good at that. At least someone remembered that I had cast that spell.”

Charlie stood tapping his foot impatiently, his arms folded across his chest. Next to him, Cordi appeared to be the spokeswitch for relaxation. She had one arm wrapped lazily around Charlie’s waist and a winning smile played across her lips.

“Hello everyone,” she said cordially. “What’s this about Diagon Alley tomorrow?”

“How did you guys hear about that?” Harry asked, still confused.

Charlie looked furious at Harry’s lack of response. Cordi, on the other hand, pointed at the stretched out bit of string dangling from Charlie’s robe pocket.

Harry nodded in understanding. “I sure hope that Fred and George are making a huge profit on those things. They are a pain in my rear. It makes it absolutely impossible to discuss anything privately.”

Hermione smiled, knowing that the spell was the very reason that, even with the Extendable Ears, Charlie couldn’t have heard Harry’s first answer. Ron started to object to Harry’s statement, but quieted when Ginny giggled at Harry’s very untrue statement.

“Charlie,” Harry said with the utmost respect. “I didn’t mean to upset you. I wasn’t trying to be rude. I was just wondering where you overheard about our trip tomorrow.”

“I heard Remus talking about it with Tonks,” Charlie said sharply. “How could you even think of doing something so dangerous?”

“Charlie,” Cordi reasoned. “Let him explain.”

“We need to go to Diagon Alley to finish the work that Dumbledore set us to,” Harry tried to explain without actually explaining anything.

Charlie started to object, when Ron cut in before him. “We have to go Charlie, there’s no sense in arguing with us.”

“Fine,” Charlie fumed, “but Cordi and I are going with you.”

“No,” Harry stated flatly. “You are not going with us. It’s bad enough that we have to watch out for Remus and Tonks. We won’t have the time to keep an eye out for the two of you.”

Hermione and Neville looked scandalized.

“Tonks and Remus are going?” Hermione asked. “I thought you were going to tell them they couldn’t come.”

“I tried, Hermione,” Harry shot back. “Remus insisted.”

“What if they get hurt?” Ginny asked anxiously. “We won’t be able to get everyone back safely. We don’t have enough power yet.”

Cordi watched the group attentively as they broke out in agitated chatter. She glanced at Charlie, who appeared to be shocked at the conversations that were all taking place at the same time.

Finally, Harry held up his hands in defeat. “There’s nothing I can do to stop Remus and Tonks from accompanying us tomorrow.” Harry turned to address Charlie. “I can’t allow you to go with us. Please understand that it for your safety, as well as ours. We simply do not have the time…”

Charlie’s voice rose above Harry’s insisting that he knew what was best for his family, and that included Harry. Charlie felt himself thrown backwards by a powerful force. He hit the ground, taking Cordi with him, winded and shuddering in fright.

It was several long, tense minutes before Charlie dared to look up. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He had expected that it would be Harry, or at the very least, Ginny who had hexed him. It was neither Harry, nor Ginny, who stood over him with an exposed wand.

“How dare you insinuate that Hermione is not a part of our family,” Ron hissed, sounding deadly calm. “Neville and Luna are also part of our family.” He turned to Neville and smiled haggardly, his face pale. “Just ask Mum if you don’t believe me.”

Ron held out his hand to Charlie, offering to pull him off the ground. Luna reached out for Cordi, hauling her to her feet unceremoniously.

“I’m not asking to be called family,” Hermione said softly, placing a hand on Ron’s shoulder. “Not yet, anyway.” He last comment was spoken so softly that only Ron heard it.

Ron smiled brightly, thinking of the necklace around Hermione’s slim neck. “Charlie. Cordi.” He nodded at each of them before continuing. “We really appreciate your offer, but you have no choice in the matter. We can’t, no, we won’t allow you to derail our plans.”

“Promise you’ll be careful,” Charlie said through gritted teeth because Cordi had his hand crushed in hers.

“Of course,” Ginny said lightly.

Harry stepped closer to Charlie, clasped him on the back in a hug and whispered into his ear. Charlie’s face remained impassive until the very end. His forehead crinkled into a frown briefly before he nodded his assent.

“Take care of my family,” Charlie ordered. “All of them.”

“I will,” Harry promised to Charlie’s retreating back. “I just hope that they take care of me too.”

Harry’s joke earned him a punch from Ginny and a halfhearted protest from Hermione. Ron was too busy staring at Hermione’s neck. Neville and Luna were making goo-goo eyes at each other, no longer paying any attention to the ‘meeting’.

“I think we ought to go to bed now,” Neville proposed. “We do have to get up rather early.”

“I don’t think I could possibly sleep,” Hermione admitted.

“That’s why I bought these,” Luna declared. “I got them at Fred and George’s. It’s an impressive invention.”

She held out her hands. There were six small vials cradled in her hands.

“That’s a sleeping draught,” Ginny observed.

“Dreamless sleep?” Hermione inquired.

“Fred and George gave me specific instructions. You take a drop of the potion for each hour you want to sleep.” Luna held up her vial. “They must have given me enough for us to sleep for a month.”

“What time is it now?” Harry asked. “It must be well past midnight.”

“It’s two,” Hermione relayed after looking at her Muggle wristwatch.

“We need to leave by sunrise,” Harry instructed. “That should be around six, so we all need four drops.”

“Don’t take more than four drops, Ron,” Ginny teased. “We won’t be able to work if your snores are echoing through the shop.”

Each couple paired off and headed back up to the house. Harry noticed that the lights were still on in the kitchen. They avoided the sitting room, where Harry knew Charlie, Cordi, Remus, and Tonks were all congregated, discussing the Diagon Alley trip.

Ginny stopped on the landing outside her room. She turned to face Harry with her hand on the knob. “You promised,” she said grumpily.

“I know,” Harry said regretfully. “I will find a way to make it up to you.”

They entered the room, laid down on the bed without removing a stitch of clothing, and drank the requisite four drops of Fred and George’s Sleep Tight Potion.

When morning came, Harry and Ginny bounded out of bed, feeling fully refreshed. They met Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna in the stairwell. Everyone looked chipper and ready to face the day. The found Remus and Tonks sleeping soundly in the sitting room.

“Now’s your chance, Harry,” Luna whispered.

Harry knew what she meant, but he didn’t have the heart to cast a spell on his favorite teacher. “I can’t.”

“I can,” Ginny stressed delicately.

Harry nodded; a knot that ha formed in his throat prevented him from answering her.

Ginny cast a sleep spell she had learned from Tonks herself. Harry followed her every wand movement, admiration shining in his eyes. He heard her call for his invisibility cloak. Before it arrived Harry looked at Ginny, his face a mask of confusion.

“We don’t want anyone to find them like this and wake them up,” she explained.

“I have a better idea,” Hermione interjected. “Can’t you send them back to Remus’ flat, Harry?”

Relief flooded his face. “I can,” Harry said. “That’s a good idea. That way, when they wake up and want to kill me, they’ll be a few hundred miles away. It will make it harder for them to maim me for breaking my word.”

Ron and Hermione exchanged a long glance. “If you want to wake them up, Mate, just say the word.” Ron was looking into Harry’s eyes intently, looking for an answer.

“No,” Harry breathed. “It’s much safer this way.”

Harry sent Remus to the flat first, concentrating on getting him to land softly on the bed. He sent Tonks next, trying to avoid setting her down too close to the edge. “Let’s go.”

Harry hurried to the fireplace and grabbed a pinch of Floo Powder. Ron grabbed his arm before he could light a magical fire with his wand. “What are you doing?”

Harry pulled his arm away. “We have to go by Floo,’ Harry stated flatly.

“Why?” Neville asked curiously.

“We need a traceable mode of transportation. We know that the Ministry is keeping a close eye on the Floo Network, which means that the Death Eaters will be too.”

“I don’t see how that’s a good thing,” Ron mumbled. “Why do we want them to know where we are?”

“It’s the only way to draw them out into the open,” Harry responded carefully.

“I know that’s not a good thing,” Ron restated his earlier concern.

“I know you’ve been feeling it too. That creepy feeling on the back of your neck. That twinge that makes you think there is something not quite right.”

“I have, Harry,” Hermione admitted.

“Me too,” Neville added.

“I think that Ginny’s premonition was not about the attack in Hogsmeade. I think that was a distraction designed to lull us into a false sense of security.” Harry finished, hoping that the others would agree. Unfortunately, they all looked skeptical. All of them, that is, except Luna. She was nodding in agreement.

“Harry’s right,” she said simply. “We need to follow the plan we designed. We shouldn’t deviate from Ron’s strategy just because we’re getting cold feet.”

At that, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville all flushed slightly. Hermione tried to hide her embarassment by lighting the fire. She stowed her wand and grabbed a pinch of Floo Powder. “Last one there is a rotten Dragon egg,” she called as she threw the powder, stepped into the fire. She said, very clearly, “Diagon Alley,” and vanished in a puff of smoke.

Luna and Neville went next, according to Ron’s plan. Ginny and Ron followed shortly after them, leaving only Harry in the sitting room of the Burrow. He looked around wistfully. “I sure wish I was sitting down to one of Molly’s breakfasts right now.” He gathered a large handful of Floo Powder, placed it in a pouch and carefully tucked it into a newly designed, secret pocket in his robes. He stepped into the fire, tossed his remaining powder into the flames and tried not to choke as he said, “Diagon Alley.”

As planned, Harry arrived in the fireplace in the jewelry shop across the street from Flourish and Blotts, where the girls had arrived. It had been made to look like Ron was shopping for an engagement ring for Hermione. “At least, that’s what I hope it looks like.”

He nearly tripped over Ron and Neville as he took a step out of the grate. “There you are,” he said, breathing a sigh of relief. “I thought something had gone wrong already.”

“Thanks,” Ron said bitterly. “You have that much faith in me?”

“Yes,” Harry teased for a brief moment before becoming serious again. “Let’s go.”

Harry and Ron each grabbed one of Neville’s arms. Before Neville had a chance to gasp, they were all hiding behind a large armoire. Harry had never set foot in this shop before, and he had no idea where it was located in Diagon Alley.

Seconds later, Ginny, Hermione, and Luna appeared beside them. Ginny appeared disheveled, Hermione was sporting a large tear in her robes, and Luna was nursing a large cut on her arm.

“What happened?” Harry gasped.

“We ran into someone we knew,” Luna supplied quickly. “Nothing too big.”

Harry looked to Ginny, trying mightily not to read her mind. Something was obviously bothering her and if she wanted to talk about it, she would.

“I saw Dean when we were getting out of the fireplace,” Ginny told Harry. “I didn’t want to have to tell him about the wedding, so I backed up into the fireplace to hide. I, uh, might have knocked Hermione and Luna into the metal…”

“Might have?” Hermione asked sarcastically.

“Did he see you?” Harry asked worriedly. “The last thing we need is something distracting us while we look for the cup.”

“No,” Ginny huffed. “He was slightly distracted by a gorgeous blonde.”

“Oh.” Harry couldn’t think of anything else to say to the jealous tone in Ginny’s voice.

“Let’s get on with it,” Ron said harshly, barging in to the conversation.

“What is this place?” Neville asked, looking around in wonderment.

“This,” Ginny said proudly, “is Yeardley and Yates’.”

“Home of all things with historically good magical significance,” Ron added. “This is where we should find the cup.”

“Spread out,” Harry commanded. “When you find it, bring it to the counter and we’ll buy it.”

Luckily there weren’t any other customers in the shop that early in the morning. All six fanned out, searching through the brightly-lit shop. There were stacks of books in the corner Hermione chose to search, and Harry suspected that she was reading the titles pretty thoroughly. Harry was trying to keep an eye on everyone as they searched, hoping to hear that someone had found it and quiet them before they announced it to the entire shop. As luck would have it, Harry happened across the cup in the very next aisle.

He could barely believe that it had been sitting in this shop for all those years. It wasn’t even hidden behind another trinket. It was sitting alone on the shelf, surrounded by open space on either side.

He walked slowly toward the front of the store, wondering if it was supposed to be this easy to find. Ginny noticed him approaching the counter and alerted the others.

The sales witch behind the counter was very friendly as she rang up Harry’s purchase. Harry paid with his Gringotts account, as he had in the jewelry store in Hogsmeade. The sales witch offered to wrap it up for him, and Harry practically shouted his response.

“No,” he blurted loudly. “No, thank you.”

She handed him the cup and he backed away from the counter, trying to appear casual. Ginny took his free hand, and smiled at the witch before pulling Harry from the shop. Neville, Ron, Hermione, and Luna all followed quickly.

“Now,” Harry said, panting slightly from trying to keep up with Ginny. “How do we destroy it?”

“We use it,” Hermione said confidently.

“Come again?” Ron asked.

“Use it?” Neville echoed.

“How do you use an heirloom from the great Helga Hufflepuff?” Ginny questioned. “It’s not as if the cup was made to drink out of.”

“Exactly,” Hermione crowed.

“Hermione,” Harry said exasperatedly. “Once again, no one gets it but you. Can you please explain?”

Hermione grabbed the cup and marched down the street to the Leaky Cauldron. She flung open the door and disappeared into the darkness of the pub before anyone could react.

Harry shrugged before taking off at a good pace after Hermione. Ron sprinted by him, as did Ginny. Neville and Luna were walking, arm in arm, several paces behind him. Harry reached the door to the pub and glanced back at Neville and Luna before vanishing.

Once inside, Harry noticed that Hermione was talking with Tom, the bartender. Harry made it to the bar just in time to see Tom shrug before he poured an entire bottle of butterbeer into the cup.

“Hermione,” Harry stuttered. “What are you doing?”

“Take a drink, Harry,” Hermione demanded.

“I don’t think…”

“Drink it now!” Hermione bellowed, doing a dead on impression of Vernon Dursley.

Harry put the cup to his lips and took a small sip. He felt a tingle on his lips. He started to pull the cup away to look at the rim, but Hermione told him to keep drinking.

“It’s working Harry,” she cried excitedly. “Ron, look at that.”

“I know, Hermione,” Ron growled. “Please keep your voice down. You’re attracting some unwanted attention.”

Harry drained the cup. When he was finished, he pulled the cup away from his lips immediately. Harry realized why his lips were scalded at once. The cup, which had been so carefully handcrafted, was now dimpled and melted. Harry’s lips were still burning from the hot touch of the sizzling metal on his skin.

Harry held the cup up triumphantly. Unsure of what he had been expecting, Harry was surprised, none the less, when no one said anything. He looked around wildly.

“Ginny? Hermione? Ron?” Harry’s voice rose in panic as he swiveled around, searching for his companions. “Neville? Luna?”

“They won’t respond.” The voice came out of the darkness behind the bar.

Harry froze. The voice was eerily familiar, but he couldn’t believe it. “It’s not possible. Not twice.” That was when Harry realized that there wasn’t a single witch or wizard moving in the entire pub.

Harry felt himself thrown backwards with the force from a Hurling Hex. He landed on his back, his robes tangled around his arms and legs. He felt the gritty specs of Floo Powder hit his face as heard the cloaked figure whisper something Harry could not make out.


Chapter Eighteen: Evil Knows No Bounds

Back to index


Chapter 18: Chapter Eighteen: Evil Knows No Bounds

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


For the second time in his life, Harry found himself tumbling out of a fireplace, his glasses broken, with no idea where he was. This time, he had company. He was pretty sure that this wasn’t an improvement over the last time.

“Stand up,” the voice hissed. “This way. Quickly.”

Harry scrambled to his feet. He took a second to repair his glasses, which was extremely difficult in the darkness, and was rewarded with a sharp nudge from the stranger.

“Hurry up.”

Harry reached his arm forward in a fruitless attempt to protect himself from walking headfirst into a wall, or worse. He hand brushed the back of the stranger’s robes.

“Don’t touch me.”

“I didn’t mean to,” Harry said crossly. “I can’t see a thing in here. Where are we? What happened to the others?”

“We’re below Knockturn Alley. The others are waiting for you. That’s all I can tell you for now. Stop talking.”

Harry squinted into the darkness. The stranger seemed to have no trouble traversing the windy path they were taking. Either the stranger had spent countless hours walking these paths in total darkness, or, he had something aiding him in his journey. Harry thought about the options. There was only one person who fit in both categories. It had to be someone who had spent time in Knockturn Alley, and had a certain device that allowed him to see well in the pitch black of the underground tunnels.

“Malfoy,” Harry spat.

“Potter,” Draco acknowledged. He reached out to Harry, taking hold of his wrist and sharing the light of the Hand of Glory

“What have you done with my wife?” Instantly Harry regretted those words.

“You married the blood traitor?" Malfoy paused slightly before continuing. "Interesting. What about Weaselby and the Mudblood, did they get married too?”

“No,” Harry snarled. “Where are they?” He was taken aback by Draco’s tone. He didn’t sound as cocky as he usually did. Harry only gave a passing thought to the idea that Draco almost sounded sad.

“It’s not too far ahead.”

“Are they hurt?” Harry asked, his anger leaving him as dread flooded through his veins and filled his heart.

“No,” Draco replied hesitantly, causing the fear in Harry’s heart to double.

“What happened?” Harry cried.

“The looney one gave me trouble,” Draco admitted. “I had to hex her to get her into the tunnel.” He started at Harry’s murderous look. “It was the only way to prevent…” Draco stopped, having said too much already.

“You…you’re the informant. Aren’t you?” Harry blurted incredulously. “You were passing information to the Order? You warned Professor Lupin about an attack today. Wait a minute. How do I know you’re not leading me into an ambush?”

“Trust, Potter,” Draco drawled, sounding more like his usual self. “You need to learn to trust me.”

“Why should I?” Harry snapped.

Harry’s question lingered in the air between them, the intended insult clear as day. Draco dropped his head, mumbling incoherently for a moment before raising his head to glare at Harry.

“Snape died to protect me,” Draco observed sadly. “Isn’t that proof enough for you?”

“Snape killed Dumbledore,” Harry objected loudly. “Why should I care that he died to protect you? You both wear the mark of evil.”

“Snape killed Dumbledore because Dumbledore ordered him to.”

“I don’t believe that.” Tears started to form in Harry’s eyes, threatening to spill over.

“You don’t have to. I know it to be true.”

“How? I was there that night. I saw it with my own eyes. I saw your failure.” Harry’s tears spilled over as he thought about the night that Dumbledore died. The only thing spurning him on was his intense desire to find and save the ones he loved.

“My failure,” Draco sighed. “I signed my own death warrant that night. I doomed not only myself, but my mother as well.”

“What does you mother have to do with this?” Harry was now confused, wondering what Malfoy was talking about.

“She made an Unbreakable Vow with Snape. Voldemort found out about my mother’s trip to Spinner’s End. He dispatched several of his most faithful Death Eaters to find her. Dumbledore ordered Snape to fulfil the vow by killing him, thus protecting me. Dumbledore thought that this would protect my mother as well, but he didn’t realize the significance of the wording my mother used. Killing Dumbledore did not release Snape from the vow. Despite her poor choices, my mother was not stupid. Snape was required to protect me with his life.”

“He did,” Harry noted irritably. “That still doesn’t mean you aren’t leading me into a trap.”

“See for yourself,” Draco drawled, pushing open a heavy, moss covered oak door.

Harry nearly fainted with relief when he saw Ginny, Hermione, Ron, and Neville sitting at a small table with four butterbeers sitting in the center, untouched. He saw that Hermione had conjured a small cot for Luna, who looked to be resting comfortably.

Harry sprinted across the room, taking Ginny into his arms. He held her close for a moment, barely hearing the muffled, “It’s about time.”

He let go of Ginny long enough to hug both Ron and Hermione. He hesitated for a moment before pulling Neville into a quick embrace. He walked to where Luna lay and crouched down beside her.

“Are you all right?” he asked quietly. “What did he do to you?”

“It’s my fault. I thought he was a Crumple-Horned Snorkack,” she quipped through her pain. “I think he hit me with some sort of a pummeling curse. He might have broken a rib if Neville hadn’t stopped him.”

“Did Hermione check you for injuries?” Harry asked seriously.

“No,” Luna replied. Harry was just starting to get upset and had turned to admonish Hermione when Luna finished her sentence. “Ginny did.”

Harry smiled with pride when Luna told him that Ginny had fixed her ribs right away. “It still hurts a little,” she admitted. “That’s my fault as well. I refused to take a potion for the pain. I didn’t think it was safe for Ginny to flash home quickly, it might have alerted someone to our presence here.”

Harry understood her fear. None of them seemed to know where they were, or what was going on. Ginny crossed the room, followed by Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Draco. Neville sat on the cot next to Luna, gently rubbing her back. Ron and Hermione stood next to Harry and Ginny as they all faced Draco.

Draco swallowed hard before opening his mouth to explain. “I brought you here because there is an attack planned on Diagon Alley. If you are not there, the Death Eaters are ordered to leave and find you. It will save many innocent lives.”

Hermione shook her head sadly. Ron snorted in disgust but said nothing. Ginny was the only one who spoke up.

“You don’t care about innocent lives, Draco. You are using us. What are you doing here? What are you getting out of this?” With each question, her voice rose higher.

Harry reached out for her hand, finding it feverish and clammy. He turned to look at her and saw the dangerous warning signs of her unbridled rage.

Draco, who had not been fortunate enough to see Ginny’s unrestrained power, had no idea that he was treading on perilous ground. Ginny’s body began to shake. It was the slightest of tremors that ran through her arm, but to Harry it felt like an earthquake.

“I am saving my mother,” Draco said softly. “You are right, I don’t care about innocent lives. I couldn’t care less about them. I don’t care about you, or your cause. I don’t care about the Death Eaters or their master plan. Voldemort can fail miserably or take over the world for all I care.”

Draco didn’t have a chance to continue his rant. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were thrown backwards by the force of Ginny’s energy. Harry stared up from the floor in wonder. Ginny was hovering a few inches off the floor as she had before. This time, her entire body glowed. The flickering light in the room made her hair look like it was made of pure fire. Harry tried to sit up, but Ginny had him pinned to the ground. Harry realized how badly his elbow hurt as he turned to look at Ron and Hermione. Ron shook his head and indicated that he couldn’t move either. Harry had landed in such a way that he couldn’t see Neville or Luna. He tried to call out to them, but the smallest squeak escaped his lips. “What has she done?”

Ginny raised her arms and pointed them directly at Draco. Harry watched in horror, with a small measure of delight, as he flew back against the dirt wall of the cavernous room. Vines appeared out of the walls, binding Draco in place. His eyes were frozen with terror. A large vine quickly covered his mouth, which was gaping open in disbelief.

Harry felt the hairs on the back of his neck tingle in anticipation as Ginny raised her arms toward the ceiling. The dark, musty room was instantly flooded with light as the ceiling disappeared. Harry watched as, what he could only assume was a ton of dirt and debris exploded upward and outward. They were easily thirty feet below the street, and Ginny had created a ten-foot diameter tunnel straight up to the street level. Dust and dirt rained down through the abyss, causing the day fade into night. The last thing Harry saw before he blacked out was a hooded figure peering into the vast chasm.

Harry opened his eyes gingerly as he came to. Once his eyes came into focus and his mind cleared, he pulled his wand and joined the battle that was raging around him. Harry took only a second to revive Ron and Luna. Hermione was already locked in battle with Jugson. She got off a stunning spell that found its mark effortlessly and Jugson fell. Neville was dueling with Goyle, trading curses with ease. Harry worried for only a split second as he heard Crabbe, who was out of Neville’s sight, use an Unforgivable. Before he could suck air into his lungs, a familiar, deep reverberating ‘gong’ sounded throughout Knockturn Alley. Crabbe and Goyle were thrown to the ground, struck down by Crabbe’s curse.

The noise alerted the other Death Eaters stationed at the entrance to Diagon Alley. Harry saw a large group of Death Eaters rushing to aid their comrades. Ron, Harry, and Luna joined Neville and Hermione battling the Death Eaters. They were outnumbered, but they continued to exchange curses. The Death Eaters tried to penetrate Ginny’s shield, but their effort was wasted. Nothing would break through.

“Positions,” Ron bellowed. Through all the noise, no one could hear him. He pointed his wand at his throat. “Sonorus,” he yelled. With his voice magically amplified, he started barking orders.

“Positions everyone,” his voice boomed over the din. “Harry, get over there. Luna, protect Ginny. Hermione, no, stay where you are. I’ll move. Neville, come over here where I am.”

Once Ron had finished placing everyone, he moved to his own position. Ginny’s shield protected them all, making each curse the Death Eaters sent useless. Harry, Ron, Neville, and Luna fought earnestly. They sent stunning spells flying toward the massive group of Death Eaters. Harry recognized many of the Death Eaters as students that had gone to Hogwarts. Some of them were no older than third years. They didn’t have enough knowledge or magic to cause any damage, they were just there to help overwhelm Harry.

Soon, all the young Death Eaters were down. Harry looked around; hoping they had been victorious, but preparing for the second wave he knew was coming. He could sense their hate.

Harry sent the stunned bodies of Crabbe, Goyle and Jugson to the Ministry. “They must have been stuck babysitting the trainees.” He sent all the bodies of the Death Eaters in training to the Great Hall in Hogwarts along with a note for Professor McGonagall. He hoped that the note would reach her before she found the bodies. He did not want to think about her reaction if she did not.

The hate was growing stronger. Harry could feel it seeping into his skin. He called out to Ginny. She broke her concentration and dropped the shield.

“I know, Harry,” she called back. “What are we supposed to do?”

“End it,” Harry advised.

“It ends here,” Ron agreed.

“We can’t keep running,” Luna added.

“We can’t hide forever,” Neville said, sounding very much like he wished they were all hiding at that moment. “Let’s end it right now.”

Hermione opened her mouth to add her encouragement when the first curse whizzed by her elbow.

“Ginny,” Luna screamed, rushing to her aid.

Harry turned to Ginny, his eyes dead. His heart ached with pain even before he saw her sprawled on the ground. The brilliance of her hair was amplified as it lay, covering her face, fanned out on the darkness of the dirt. Harry’s mind registered the blood dripping onto the ground, the noise of each drop louder than the advancing Death Eaters.

Harry haphazardly threw up his own shield, protecting Ginny from any further harm. Luna was mumbling to Ginny, moving her wand about and trying to revive her. Neville was already throwing curses at the approaching Death Eaters. Ron and Hermione joined him in a frontal assault on the ranks. Harry watched as the curses took out Nott, Yaxley and Mulciber before they could get off a single curse in retaliation. All three of them lay on the ground, bleeding severely, the life draining from their body.

The Death Eaters stopped their advance a short distance away from the huddled group. They all drew their wands and held their formations, as if they were waiting for Harry to attack them first.

“Positions,” Ron shouted.

Everyone took their places and prepared for the battle. Harry watched as Bellatrix, who stood shoulder to shoulder with her husband Rodolphus and his brother Rabastan. She looked positively gleeful as she raised her wand to send another curse at Ginny.

Harry had never heard the incantation before and figured that it was a magic more ancient than the Unforgivables, and probably more deadly. He watched in slow motion as the bolt of light streaked across the small gap between the groups. A foot or so before the light hit Harry’s shield; it stooped and bounced off harmlessly. Harry almost dropped his wand in pain as the loudest, deepest sound he had ever heard ripped through the alley.

He wasn’t sure if he should take his eyes off the Death Eaters to look, but he braved a quick glance. Ginny was no longer on the ground. She was floating a few feet above their heads, her shield spell in place.

Harry barely recognized her. Her arms were extended in front of her, bent oddly as if she was trying to hug an invisible person. Her wand floated in the center of her arms, radiating a light so bright that Harry could not stand to look at it directly. Instead, he looked at her hair. Ginny’s hair stood on end, giving her the appearance of having a fiery halo surrounding her head. Her eyes were no longer brown, but solid black, glistening in the brilliance of the light. Her face was contorted in an expression of pure concentration. Ginny was lost to them but her power lived on in the shell that was her body. Her shield spell was so strong that it was visible in the dusty air, a shimmery whiteness protecting them from the darkness that lay before them. Harry looked back to the Death Eaters, watching their faces pale in fear. All of them except Bellatrix, who started to cackle.

Harry saw a lone figure in tattered robes approaching from the opposite direction as the Death Eaters. Harry recognized Malfoy a split second before Narcissa appeared, grabbed his hand, and they disappeared together.

One by one, the Death Eaters began to attack, sending a volley of curses toward the shield. As Walden Macnair approached, Harry stepped out of the shield to duel with him. He was the one who had been sent to Hogwarts to execute Buckbeak. Harry had taken particular offense to his oily black moustache. Macnair shot off curse after curse, which Harry blocked lazily.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Harry demanded before sending a special curse toward him.

Macnair threw up his shield charm, but it was no match for Harry’s curse. The curse broke through his shield spell and his chest was lacerated. His robes were hanging by a few tattered threads as he slumped to the ground, his eyes rolling back into his head.

Harry stepped back into Ginny’ shield and began sending curses at the large group of Death Eaters that remained. Hermione, Ron, and Neville had done a good job reducing their ranks, as there were fewer Death Eaters by half.

Antonin Dolohov approached the shield spell and grabbed Hermione by the hair. She was dragged from the protection of the shield and hurled to the ground. Ron shouted and made to leave the shield to help her. Hermione waved him away, indicating that she had unfinished business with Dolohov. Ron went back to the fight only to notice Augustus Rookwood trying to break into the shield and curse Luna. He tackled him, knocking him away from the shield.

Dolohov and Hermione squared off, sending curses at each other with every ounce of magical strength they had, while Ron sat on Rookwood’s chest and hit him with every ounce of physical strength he had left. Hermione ducked a particularly nasty curse, the one that had incapacitated her in the Department of Mysteries, and returned fire with the spell she had learned from Harry’s dream.

“Evicere,” Hermione spat.

Dolohov screamed. It was an unearthly sound that pierced the heart of everyone present. Hermione stood, triumphant, looking down at his body with disgust. His body lay prone, his eyes empty and his breathing shallow. His body shuddered one last time before his breathing stopped.

Ron paused to watch Hermione as she cast her final curse. His momentary lapse of concentration cost him his hold on Rookwood. Rookwood punched him in the face, knocking him to the ground. Rookwood rose to his feet unsteadily and aimed his wand at Ron’s unconscious form. Harry saw this and screamed, “Oppugno.”

A flock of small birds attacked Rookwood’s head. He swatted them away as if they were a mere annoyance. He took aim at Ron, who was now stirring slightly and groaning as he tried to sit up. Harry grinned wickedly, casting a second spell to aid the first.

“Engorgio,” he commanded.

The flock of birds around Rookwood’s head became a flock of very angry, very large birds. The birds drove at his head, pecking him with their pointy beaks and slashing at him with their razor sharp talons. Rookwood screamed in pain as they continued to attack him.

Ron, who had managed to make it to his feet, watched in amusement as Rookwood tried to avoid the birds. He was reminded of a similar attach that had been directed at him the previous year. Despite his distraction, Rookwood managed to send a curse at Ron, who was not paying any attention. The flesh on Ron’s leg was laid open, nearly to the bone. He screamed in agony, ducked to avoid the next curse and sent a stunning curse at Rookwood before passing out and crashing to the ground.

The minute that Rookwood froze in place, the birds grabbed him in their talons and took off. It took five of the birds to carry him out of the fracas. The rest followed closely behind as Harry watched in amazement. Harry brought Ron’s body into the shield and Luna healed his leg before reviving him.

Harry turned to check on Neville. The Death Eaters numbers were dwindling. Neville had managed to immobilize all but four of them himself. The Lestranges and Fenrir Greyback were the only Death Eaters that were still capable of movement.

Bellatrix Lestrange was still cackling. Ron, having recovered sufficiently to issue orders again, started whispering a plan to Harry.

“It’s a long shot,” Ron finished, “but it might be worth it.”

“I’m willing to take a chance,” Harry replied darkly. “Just go.”

Ron grabbed Neville, Luna, and Hermione. In an instant they were gone. Harry turned to face Bellatrix, the witch responsible for Sirius’ death, and smiled cruelly.

“What have we here?” he hissed.

“It’s wee bitty baby Potter again,” Bellatrix chanted. “Trying to play a grownup game.”

“I’ve grown up Bellatrix,” Harry proclaimed.

“Why are you still hiding behind that snip of a girl then?” she challenged him.

Harry watched as Rabastan, Rodolphus and Fenrir spread out, making a single attack impossible. If Harry attacked one of them, they would all attack in response. He would not survive such an attack, of that he was sure. Trusting Ron, and putting all of his faith in his love for Ginny, he looked up at her one last time. Her face remained impassible. She hadn’t moved since the attack began and she still showed no signs of life other than the power that emanated from her body.

Harry took a deep breath, whispered, “I love you, Ginny”, and stepped from the circle of protection to face Bellatrix.

“He is mine,” she wailed. “No one touches him.”

Harry watched Bellatrix carefully, waiting for her to make the first move. She raised her wand and they began to duel. She threw increasingly darker curses at him. She had tried the Cruciatus curse several times with no success. Harry continued to fire stunning spells at her in between her attacks. As soon as he would let loose a stunning spell, he would bring his own shield back up. After several long minutes of this back and forth, Harry could tell that she was getting frustrated. Her spells were infrequent and they were losing power.

Harry sensed that her magical reserves were drained. He took this opportunity to renew his attack.

“Secumseptra,” he called.

“No,” Rodolphus cried out as the material of his wife’s robes ripped.

As one, Rabastan, Rodolphus and Fenrir raised their wands. Time seemed to slow as they brought their arms up above their heads. Harry could make out every syllable on their lips as they cursed him. The green jets of light left their wands separately but converged just before they reached Harry.

Harry was prepared for the consequences if Ron’s plan failed. Failure was not an option. Harry closed his eyes as he sent every bit of love he felt to Ginny.

There was an explosion, followed by a blinding flash of light that Harry saw through his closed eyelids. Harry didn’t breathe for fear that this was what it felt like to die.

A small hand touched his shoulder. A gentle pressure spun him around and Harry didn’t dare open his eyes. The softest pair of lips touched Harry’s. Harry felt his heart jump into his throat as Ginny deepened the kiss. Her hands roamed over his body, checking him for injuries, her lips never leaving his. It was only when her hands crept to his neck and pulled his body against hers that he opened his eyes.

Her gorgeous red hair curled softly over her shoulders. Her eyes were mercifully brown again. “And, her lips,” Harry thought, relieved to have his wife back, “are deliciously perfect.”

Harry and Ginny disappeared without a backward glance. Harry did not see the three small piles of ashes on the ground. He did not see the damage to the storefronts. He didn’t see the snake, slipping through the wreckage and slithering among the bodies of the fallen Death Eaters.

Minutes later, before the Aurors arrived in Knockturn Alley, Nagini slid through the last of the wreckage and slithered away to meet her Master.


Chapter Nineteen: An Unlikely Source


Back to index


Chapter 19: Chapter Nineteen: An Unlikely Source

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Harry felt himself being poked and prodded the minute he and Ginny reappeared at the Burrow. He cracked his eyelid open, allowing a slit of light in. He heard Molly’s ‘tut tut’ and another, faraway voice among the shadows that he couldn’t place.

Harry gave in and reluctantly opened his eyes fully. Immediately, he wished he were back in the midst of the battle. Anything, even dueling with Voldemort would be better than dealing with the looks of anger and disappointment that faced him.

Harry looked slowly around the circle. Charlie looked ready to tackle a Dragon. His face was flushed so deeply that he was the same shade as the wine that Uncle Vernon served to the Mason’s. Harry saw Cordi standing next to him, her hands balled up into fists, looking just as angry as Charlie. Her face was deathly pale, a stark contrast to Charlie’s burgundy coloring.

Harry didn’t dare meet Remus’ eye and he blanched when he saw the look on Tonks’ face. There wasn’t a single person in the room who supported his choice, or so it seemed.

“We support you, Mate,” Ron said quietly.

“We all made our own choices,” Hermione added.

“You made the toughest choice of all,” Ginny said supportively.

At that, Molly could no longer contain her indignation. “What in the blazes did you think you were doing? Your father and I are so disappointed with you. How could you risk your life so callously?”

“Molly,” Arthur broke in before she built up enough steam to continue. “Harry.” Arthur shook his head slowly. What were you thinking?”

“I had to help Ginny,” Harry replied honestly. “I didn’t know how else to save her.”

“She was rather scary,” Ron admitted.

“Her eyes were the worst part,” Hermione confirmed.

“I’m standing right here,” Ginny complained. “Do you need to talk about me like that?”

“Sorry, Ginny,” Hermione said, immediately contrite.

Harry gathered a few bits and pieces of information from the conversation, which included a great deal of swearing and shouting most of which was aimed at him.

Harry determined that Ron and Hermione had returned to the Burrow when they left Harry with Ginny. They had already dealt with the brunt of the interrogation. Harry couldn’t be more grateful to them if they had brought Dumbledore back from the dead. The last thing he wanted was to have to defend his actions. After the scare that Ginny gave them, he wasn’t prepared for another onslaught of emotion.

After what felt like hours, the commotion died down and Harry was finally able to get away from the uproar. Harry escaped to the paddock. Hermione appeared first, followed closely by Neville, Luna, and Ron. Harry cocked his head to the side, waggled his eyebrows at Hermione and smiled. The smile was wiped from his face at her response.

“Ginny’s not coming,” Hermione told him gently.

“Why not?” Harry asked, a concerned look clouding his eyes.

“It’s nothing to worry about. Ginny asked me to tell you that she needs to talk to Mum about something.” Ron grimaced as he relayed Ginny’s message.

Harry’s heart leapt in his chest. What if Ginny’s transformation had affected her health? He had promised not to leave her behind, but he had also promised not to put her in harm’s way. A nagging voice at the back of Harry’s mind told him to let Ginny chose her own path. If she felt capable of accompanying them to find the last Horcrux, Harry decided that he would not question her decision or try to stop her.

Neville raised his hand shyly catching Harry’s attention. Harry didn’t respond right away, as he was lost in his concern for Ginny. Neville began to wave his hand back and forth in an attempt to get Harry’s attention. Harry saw this slight motion out of the corner of his eye and he began to laugh. Neville looked just like Hermione did in Potions when Snape ignored her and called on someone from Slytherin who quite obviously didn’t know the answer.

Harry’s thought caused him to smile at Hermione. He looked to the left of Ron, to the right of Ron; he even stretched up onto his tiptoes to try to peer over Ron’s shoulder. His efforts were in vain. Hermione was nowhere to be found.

“Ron?” Harry questioned with a definitive note of fear in his voice. He swung his arm in a wide arc, indicating the area around Ron.

“What?” Ron responded, his face a mask of confusion. “What’s wrong?”

“Where’s Hermione?” Harry asked, trying to keep the dread he felt in his heart from coming through in his voice.

Ron squinted his eyes and furrowed his brow. He stayed like that for a full agonizing minute before he opened his eyes and smiled. “She’s with Ginny,” he answered confidently.

“What are they talking about?” Harry wondered. “I can’t tell.”

“They won’t let me see either,” Ron informed him.

By this time, Neville’s hand had dropped to his side and he was tapping his foot in irritation. Harry heard the soft tapping noise just before Neville exploded with impatience.

“Harry.”

“Yes, Neville,” Harry said grinning. “Can you explain the difference between Eye of Newt and Frog Spawn?”

“Very funny,” Neville scoffed, smiling in spite of himself.

“I know,” Harry replied. “I belong at the Funny Farm.”

“I heard about that place on the WWN,” Ron interrupted. “Mum was listening to some show a while back and...” Ron shrugged as Harry raised his eyebrows at him. “Don’t look at me like that, I only heard the advertisement. I wasn’t listening to the show, Harry. I wasn’t,” Ron cried indignantly at Harry’s continued look of disbelief. “Whatever. I wasn’t. It’s a new club in Diagon Alley. It’s modeled after a Muggle comedy club, right?”

“That’s what I heard,” Harry said, grinning at Ron’s look of embarassment. “Of course, I heard about it in the Daily Prophet, which is a perfectly respectable source of information.”

Ron flushed deep red. “Merlin, Harry. Leave off, will you? I wasn’t listening to one of her soaps. I’m telling you.” Ron had started to shout by the time he got to the point where Neville cut him off.

“As I was trying to say before the two of you started acting like the biggest gits in all of England,” Neville said loudly. “I believe we still have a Horcrux left to find.”

Harry was laughing so hard he was doubled over, clutching his stomach and trying not to snort. Ron, who looked both peeved and amused, took the opportunity to shove Harry for his earlier comments. Harry went crashing to the ground, laughing as he hit the grass rolling. Within seconds, Ron was on the ground next to him, having been hit with a well placed tickling charm.

Neville stood above them with his arms crossed. He glared at them in a perfect imitation of Professor McGonagall.

“Hey, Ron,” Harry said quietly, nudging Ron in the ribs. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Are you accusing me of thinking?” Ron breathed, still slightly out of breath from the tickling charm.

“I would never,” Harry replied. “Are you?”

“I do believe I am,” Ron announced. “What ever shall we do about it?”

“I was thinking about something like this,” Harry snorted.

Harry scrambled from the ground and pulled Ron up with a quick jerk. Luna, who was standing next to Neville, discretely moved to the side, having seen the mischievous look on Harry and Ron’s faces. Neville was still glaring at both Ron and Harry, having missed most of their conversation. Neville was so intent on discussing the last Horcrux that he didn’t see the subtle wave of Harry’s hand.

Ron and Harry prepared to bolt. They conjured a full-length mirror, similar in size to the Mirror of Erised, so that Neville could see his new appearance. Without looking in the mirror, Neville turned to Harry and Ron and gave them a piece of his mind.

“You two,” Neville exploded.

Neville turned to Luna, his eyes accusing her of participating in the scheme.

“I would never,” Luna said innocently.

“You knew,” Neville accused.

“I did,” Luna admitted, “but seeing the end result in person was worth it.”

Neville gave up, his shoulder slumping in defeat. He turned ever so slightly to view his reflection in the mirror. Even Neville had to laugh once he caught sight of his ridiculous appearance. He was wearing tartan robes, identical to the ones that Professor McGonagall wore to the Yule Ball. Neville continued his perusal and found that his hair had been lengthened and pulled back into a tight bun. The effect was hilarious. Neville noticed that Harry had managed to top it off with Professor McGonagall’s pointed hat, complete with the brim of thorns.

By the time Neville finished checking out his new look, Harry and Ron were back on the ground. It was only a matter of seconds before Luna was on the ground with them. Neville showed them that he had been paying attention in Charms with a superbly well-placed tickling charm. Then he showed them just how creative he could be by charming all of them to float in midair, conjuring a Muggle wading pool, and unceremoniously dumping all three of them into it.

Ron had just surfaced in the deceptively deep poll when Hermione and Ginny peered over the edge.

“Luv,” Harry cried out. “Come on in, the water’s wonderful.”

“You’re wearing your clothes,” Hermione pointed out.

“So we are,” Ron conceded. He pulled his wand out of his sopping robes and transfigured them into swimming trunks. “That’s much better.”
Neville and Luna transfigured their wet clothes into bathing suits and then watched in amusement as Ron helpfully transfigured Harry’s without telling him.

“Nice suit,” Ginny smirked, raising her eyebrows at Harry.

“What?” Harry began playfully, “you don’t like my…” His voice trailed off as he looked down to where he had been gesturing when Ginny started to laugh.

Harry turned to Ron; his eyes alight with humor but his expression deadly. “They’re pink.”

“I know, Mate,” Ron quickly explained, “but they really accentuate your dark hair.”

“And the green polka dots?” Harry hissed.

“They match your eyes perfectly,” Neville jumped in, trying to save Ron.

“And the ruffles?” Harry inquired, slightly placated.

“They really show off your manly figure,” Luna noted. “They make your shoulders look incredibly broad.”

“Ok,” Harry said as he nodded and seemed to accept the explanations. “Now, could someone please explain why I have this ruddy tail.”

Harry did several turns in the water showing off the sleek pink tail that had come attached to the bathing suit before making a rather pathetic attempt to splash Ginny and Hermione.

Hermione ducked behind the side of the pool to avoid the wave of water Harry had sent their way. Ginny just raised her hand lazily which sent the entire wave of water crashing over Harry’s head. Hermione and Ginny transfigured their clothes into suits and climbed in the pool with the others.

“Is everything…” Ron asked quietly once everyone else was sufficiently occupied.

“Everything’s fine, Ron,” Hermione snapped. She was instantly contrite. “I’m sorry. I just can’t seem to think straight today.”

Ron looked worried, but tried to play it off by joining the water fight that Harry and Neville were having. Everyone agreed that the pool was a wonderful idea as the days had become unbearably hot.

No one wanted to give up their short play time to discuss the last Horcrux. Harry made an executive decision and proposed that the last Horcrux meeting should be held in the pool. Hermione, Ginny, Luna, Neville, and Ron all seconded the motion before Harry could even finish his proposal.

“Done,” announced Harry. “We’ll have the last meeting right after we get something to eat.”

In seconds, tables had been conjured and a large spread of food covered them. Hermione performed a tricky charm on the water in the pool so that it would support their weight while they ate their food. It wasn’t long before they were going back for seconds.

“Remind me to thank your Mum,” Neville said after swallowing a particularly large mouthful of treacle tart.

“Hey,” Ginny exclaimed, looking rather incensed. “Hermione and I made lunch for everyone.”

“You did?” Ron asked incredulously. “I had no idea that you could cook.” Ron balked at Hermione’s glare and hastily added, “Ginny.”

Trying to avoid a nasty row over anyone’s cooking skills, Harry called the meeting to order while vanishing the tables and leftover food.

“There’s one left,” he said gravely. “What is it and where do we find it?”

“I’m fresh out of ideas,” Ron admitted.

“Don’t look at me,” Neville called out. “I found the sword.”

“Well, I found the cup,” Ron butted in proudly. “Does that excuse me from thinking about the last Horcrux?”

“I figured out how to destroy them,” Hermione crowed.

“You had help,” Ginny accused. “I saw you with Fawkes before we found each of the Horcruxes.”

Everyone started to chatter about who had found what Horcrux and how they had been destroyed. Harry let the harmless prattling continue for a short while so that he could clear his mind and think logically about the last Horcrux.

“I think I might know,” Luna said softly. She was so quiet that only Harry, who had been concentrating on anything but the jabbering, heard her quiet admission.

“Enough,” Harry bellowed.

Ron froze in mid-sentence, holding his arm up in the air like it was Godric Gryffindor’s sword. Hermione was also in mid-sentence, her arms folded across her chest, her eyes signaling her irritation with Ron’s overly dramatic rendition of finding the sword. Neville and Ginny had been discussing the disadvantages of using Nagini as a Horcrux. Neville had just been arguing for the benefits of Nagini’s method of travel and was wiggling his arm in the water, imitating a serpent slithering across the ground.

Luna looked positively mortified that Harry had chosen to get their attention in such a way. “I think I might know,” she repeated for the benefit of those who had been otherwise occupied a moment before.

“You know what the last Horcrux is?” Ron asked in disbelief.

“Or, do you know where it is?” Hermione added, a look of skepticism crossing her face.

“It’s not that we don’t believe you.” Ginny had jumped into the conversation when she saw the pain flash across Luna’s face.

An instant later, her eyes flashing with hurt and betrayal, Luna turned away from the group. Before anyone could so much as breathe in her direction, she was gone. Far above the pool, beating its powerful wings, the Thestral flew away into the afternoon sky. Luna was barely a spec in the distance by the time Neville had managed to make it out of the pool, slipping and sliding as he went. Harry, Ginny, Hermione, and Ron watched in awe as he transformed and used his powerful wings to lift off the ground.

“Someone should go with them,” Hermione observed gently. “We need to explain what happened.”

The words had barely left Hermione’s mouth when Ron transformed. The Albatross flew away, flapping his wings as quickly as they would go, trying to catch up with the fading form of the Hippogriff.

“I didn’t mean you,” Hermione called after him. “You’re the last person that should go.”

Hermione gave a fake, theatrical sigh and transformed. It took her longer to get off the ground with her smaller wings, but soon the magnificent Eagle was hurriedly catching up with the others.

Harry looked to Ginny for guidance. “What do we do?”

“I say we stay here and enjoy ourselves,” Ginny whispered suggestively.

“What about?” Harry tried to ask, but his question was stopped by the softness of Ginny’s lips.

Harry pulled Ginny, close, causing waves of water to cascade over the side of the pool. He leaned back on the seats of water that Hermione had conjured and arranged Ginny on his lap. She snuggled against him, causing incredible sensations to run up and down his spine.

“Do you think we could?” Ginny asked shyly.

“We could make it work,” Harry stammered. “Are you sure?”

“We should cast…”

“Oh. Of course.”

“What is that incantation?”

“Where’s Hermione when you need her?” Harry asked, cursing his inability to remember the incantation.

“I, for one, am glad that she isn’t here,” Ginny said stiffly.

“Merlin, Ginny. I’m sorry. That’s not what I meant. I just meant that I couldn’t remember the incantation and…”

Again Ginny and her kisses cut off Harry. Ginny intensified the kiss, running her tongue over Harry’s lips. His lips parted and her tongue invaded his mouth.

“Occultum Latere.” Harry’s lips left Ginny’s just long enough for him to utter the spell before his mouth captured hers again.

A soft cover of clouds descended upon the pool. The intense sunlight of the afternoon was filtered through the fluffy material. In every direction, the clouds blocked their view of the Burrow and the surrounding grounds.

The time flew by as Harry and Ginny explored each other in the security of their hidden fortress. Despite the concealment provided by their surroundings, Ginny was unwilling to allow Harry to take their play too far. As it was, Harry had his hand inside Ginny’s bathing suit top when the others returned. It was fortunate for everyone involved that Ron made a great deal of noise when he tripped over a rake.

“Bloody hell,” Ron shouted, tripping and falling into the side of the garden shed. “Who put that there?”

“Harry?” Neville called through the dense cloudy cover.

“For Merlin’s sake,” Hermione said exasperatedly. “Move over.”

There was a great deal of shuffling, which gave Harry plenty of time to move his hands and nudge Ginny into a more appropriate position before they were caught. Suddenly Hermione’s voice could be heard followed by a great gust of wind. Ginny’ hair whipped backwards, slapping Harry in the face and getting stuck in his mouth.

That was how Hermione, Ron, Neville, and Luna found them. Harry had Ginny on his lap in the most innocent of positions, her hair in his mouth and his own standing on end, even more disheveled than usual. It didn’t take a genius to see what had been going on.

“So,” Harry joked, trying to lighten the situation. At the moment, Ron, who was inching closer to Harry, looked like he was ready to jinx a Bludger to follow him around for the rest of his life.

“We weren’t, Ron,” Ginny said adamantly, waving her hand at him and shooing him away. “Take your dirty thoughts somewhere else.

“And take Hermione with you,” Harry cracked. “Maybe you won’t be so testy.”

Harry joke fell flat. It was then that Harry noticed Luna’s red eyes and doleful look. Harry turned to Ginny and nudged her.

“Luna,” Harry began. “We…”

“It’s all right, Harry,” Luna mumbled, her voice a hollow shell of its normal tone.

“No, Luna,” Harry insisted. “Let me…”

“It’s all right,” Luna repeated. “I don’t need your apologies.”

“I don’t want to apologize,” Harry revealed to a very surprised audience. “I need to tell you something far more important.”

“Go ahead,” Luna acknowledged.

“No one here, and I mean NO ONE,” Harry emphasized. “Not one of us doubts your powers. More importantly, all of us think you are an invaluable asset to the search.”

Ginny, Ron, and Hermione all nodded seriously.

“I’m sorry, Luna,” Hermione sniffed. “I opened my mouth without thinking. I didn’t mean to question your vision. It won’t happen again.”

Ron looked incredibly sheepish before adding his apology. “Everyone here knows that I don’t know when to keep my mouth shut. I just like reminding everyone from time to time.”

Ron made a valiant attempt to return to a normal color while everyone waited to see what Luna’s reaction would be. Once she started laughing at Ron, the atmosphere lightened considerably. Hermione and Ron were chatting with Neville, while Ginny asked Luna where she had gone when she left.

“Can we get down to business?” Harry pleaded.

“My father told me about a book once,” Luna began without preamble. “A book that is guarded closely by those in power.”

“Why,” Harry asked.

“The book cannot be read,” Luna explained. “A prophecy was made, a long time ago.” Luna paused, her eyes boring holes into Neville’s neck. She closed her eyes, and recited the passage from memory. “When The Future arrives, the Tome shall open for The One.”

“What?” Neville gasped. “Why me again?”

“You’d be surprised how many things are affected by your lineage,” Ginny commented dryly.

“What makes the book so special?” Hermione asked wisely.

“Are you sure you want to know?” Luna questioned carefully.

“Yes,” Harry replied confidently.

“The book is ‘Hecatean Liberette Abdicere Malefactor’. Roughly translated it means…”

“The magical book to renounce a source of evil,” Hermione whispered. “It’s supposed to be a myth.”

“Rowena Ravenclaw’s book,” Ron proclaimed. He noticed the five sets of eyes looking at him in amazement. “I do listen to Hermione every once in a while.”

“That was why I thought it might be the last Horcrux,” Luna explained.

“Where is it?” Harry asked. “I’ve never even heard of it.”

“It’s kept somewhere in the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry of Magic,” Hermione offered. “They guard it carefully because no one knows what source of evil the title refers to.”

“That, and no one can read it,” Luna added. “Everyone who opens it goes blind.”

“I’ve heard that they speak only in rhyming couplets too,” Ron snorted.

“That’s a different book,” Hermione told him, smiling slightly at Ron’s memory.

“How do we get our hands on this book?” Harry asked.

“The easiest way would be to sneak into the Department of Mysteries and steal it,” Ginny suggested jokingly.

“What if we sent an owl to Percy?” Ron suggested.

Harry raised an eyebrow at Ron. “An owl?”

“Or, we could just send it there. It would be quicker,” Ron amended lamely.

“Maybe he could get us an audience with the Minister,” Hermione said finishing Ron’s thought.

“We’ll leave Harry to talk with the Minister,” Ginny quipped.

“We’ll go find the book,” Luna added.

“Once we pry Harry away from the Minister,” Neville teased.

“We can take the book somewhere and destroy the Horcrux,” Harry finished.

Ginny looked at Hermione, who looked at Ron, who looked at Luna, who merely smiled.

“I don’t mind being the sacrificial lamb,” Harry said, shuddering at the thought of tolerating Rufus Scrimgeour for more than five minutes. “After all, I am Dumbledore’s man, through and through. Just promise that you will come back and get me. Don’t stick me with him and forget to return.”

“Would we do that?” Ginny asked, batting her eyelashes at Harry in an attempt to appear innocent.

“I think you might,” Harry reflected. “You just might.”

“Harry,” Hermione admonished. “We wouldn’t leave you with Scrimgeour.” Her whole face lit up with her next sentence. “Not for too long.”

“Okay,” Harry sighed, holding up his hands in defeat. “You win.”

Hermione conjured a quill and a large piece of parchment. “Who wants to write the letter?” she inquired.

“I’ll write it,” Ginny offered at the same time Ron said, “I’ll do it.”

“Why don’t both of you write it,” Neville suggested reasonably. “It might convince him.”

Ginny and Ron bent over the piece of parchment. They whispered back and forth, each taking a turn to write a line here or there. Every once in a while, Ginny would wave her wand, erasing a line that Ron had written or correcting his spelling errors. A few minutes later, they help up the finished letter for everyone’s inspection.

Harry read the letter over Ginny’s shoulder. It was quite obvious where Ron’s sentences ended and Ginny’ began.

Percy,

You great big git.

Your family needs your help.

We know that you’ve turned you back on us for your ‘career’, which is bound to go nowhere once everyone figures out what an arse you are.

We need an audience with the Minister.

Are you even high enough up the Ministry ladder to talk with the Minister?

Harry has some important matters to discuss with him privately.

You’re not invited.

Ron and I had hoped that, while Harry is meeting with Minister Scrimgeour, you would take us on a tour of the Ministry and show us where you work.

(This was where Ginny had removed several offending lines)

Your family,
Ginny and Ron. Sorry Percy, he refused to sign his own name.


Harry tried not to laugh as he read the last line. Ron had made a big deal about refusing to sign the letter.

“I think this will pique his interest,” Hermione said when she finished reading the letter.

“Now let’s see how fast he gets back to us,” Harry remarked offhandedly, as if their entire plan didn’t hinge on this one thing.

Harry sent the letter straight to Percy’s inbox at the Ministry. There was an uncomfortable silence as they waited for an answer. Several minutes passed without a response. Luna and Neville sat down in the grass, snuggling together comfortably.

Several more minutes passed. Ron and Hermione dropped to the ground, leaning against the side of the garden shed.

Ginny gave up several more minutes after that and plopped onto the grass next to Hermione’s feet. Harry was just about to give up when a large gray owl appeared in the sky over the Burrow.

“It’s Percy’s response,” Harry shouted.

“I’ll get it,” Ginny blurted.

She clambered up off the ground excitedly, using Harry’s arm for support and almost pulling him down in the process. She reached for the parchment before the owl had even had a chance to land on her shoulder.

The owl hopped nervously as she struggled to remove the parchment from its leg.

“Ginny,” Hermione said gently. “Do you need any help?”

“This ruddy bird won’t stay still and I can’t get the letter off,” Ginny hissed through gritted teeth.

Luna walked over to Ginny and ran her hand down the owl’s feathers, stroking them lightly. The owl calmed instantly and allowed Ginny to remove the parchment.

She tore into the letter, anxious to see if Percy would come through for them. Ginny didn’t expect a positive reaction, but she held onto a glimmer of hope that someday Percy would grow up.

“He says that he has managed to arrange an appointment with the Minister,” Ginny announced.

“I’m sure that was tough,” Ron muttered sarcastically. “He’s been hounding you to chat with him for ages.”

“He also goes on to say that he won’t be able to take us on the tour himself, as he is simply too busy. He will, however, arrange for someone else to take us.”

“Did he say when?” Hermione wondered.

“Tomorrow,” Ginny replied. “We’d better get a plan together.”

“Ron,” Harry sighed. “You’re up. Are you ready?”

“Yes,” Ron reported. “I have checked with myself, and we have determined that I am indeed ready.”

They all shared a chuckle at Ron’s expense before the serious planning began.


Chapter Twenty: Ministry Mayhem

Back to index


Chapter 20: Chapter Twenty: Ministry Mayhem

Author's Notes:
Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.

Back to Donegal
Words & music: Steve Graham
Copyright: @1942 Leeds Music Corp. New York


“We’ve covered everything I can possibly imagine happening,” Ginny muttered wearily.

“You don’t have much of an imagination then,” Ron observed. “We still haven’t covered what we’re going to do if…”

“I think we have,” Harry interjected tiredly.

“We’ve been at this for hours, Ron,” Hermione yawned, trying not to complain.

“What time is the meeting tomorrow morning?” Luna asked anxiously, twisting Neville’s arm so she could see the Muggle wristwatch he wore when he was not working in the Greenhouses.

“Eleven,” Ginny answered promptly, stifling a huge yawn. “That’s only nine hours away, Ron.” She looked at him crossly while pointing at Neville’s watch. “Some of us might want to sleep before we take on the entire Ministry of Magic.”

“You make it sound so bleak,” Harry grinned. “All you have to do is find an ancient book that could make you go blind. I have to discuss politics with Rufus Scrimgeour.”

“You’re right, Mate,” Ron sighed dramatically, patting Harry’s arm sympathetically. “You do have it much worse.”

“Enough of this,” Hermione complained. “Let’s go to bed.”

“Yes, let’s,” Ginny echoed, trying to cover another large yawn.

Rather than traipse through the house and risk waking up the entire household, they decided to sleep in the garden. Hermione was worried about Death Eaters popping up, so Harry, Ron, and Neville offered to put up wards around the triangular tent that she had conjured. They left the tent feeling very chivalrous having offered to protect their women.

They went about their business, placing wards and concealing the tent, having no idea that Hermione had sent them away on purpose. Ginny, Luna, and Hermione took the rare opportunity to discuss the day’s events, with Hermione and Ginny apologizing to Luna yet again. Ginny and Hermione were both bursting at the seams to have a real chat with the only other witch that they called a friend.

Meanwhile, outside the tent, the guys were having their own discussion, which mainly consisted of Ron and Harry taking the mickey out of Neville for being so protective of Luna. Their conversation was cut short by a scream that rang out from inside the tent. Ron and Neville rushed to the flaps of the tent to check on the ladies.

Harry stayed behind to cast a spell before joining the others. His pace was unhurried as he walked toward the front flap of the tent. “Muffliato,” he whispered, pointing at the house. Harry took his time approaching the tent, he was not worried as Neville and Ron were, he had heard the laughter in Ginny’s scream.

By the time he made it to the tent flap, Ginny was waiting to greet him. “Welcome back,” she murmured. “It’s about time.”

“I had to check the wards,” Harry said sheepishly.

“What if we were being attacked?” Ginny demanded. “You left us with Ron and Neville.”

“You can’t protect yourself?” Harry teased. “Besides, I heard the laugh behind your scream. What were you guys talking about?”

“That’s none of your business.”

“I’ll find out sooner or later,” Harry threatened, his tone completely at odds with the smile that lit up his face. “I’ll tickle it out of you.”

“Harry, no,” Ginny cried. “You know I hate to be…”

Ginny wasn’t able to remind Harry that she hated being tickled because she had been unexpectedly tossed onto the bed and Harry was currently tickling the soles of her feet.

“Stop,” Ginny whined, trying to get the words out between gulps of air.

“Tell me,” Harry urged.

“I can’t,” Ginny whined again. “Hermione will kill me if I tell you.”

“So this is all about Hermione,” Harry asked in an odd voice.

Ginny saw the look on Harry’s face and realized she hadn’t seen this particular look before and wondered momentarily if that was a good thing or not. She understood that Harry was giving her an opportunity to escape from the conversation. She puzzled over her decision for a brief second. She watched very carefully as Harry’s eyes darkened from jade to emerald. She ran her hand along his jaw line, caressing his face while lying to him for the first time ever.

“Yes, Luv,” she whispered huskily. “It’s all about Hermione.”

“I’m sure she’ll tell me when the time is right,” Harry stressed. “When she’s comfortable talking to me.”

“I’m sure she will,” Ginny breathed, feeling incredibly guilty.

“We should turn in,” Harry suggested. “I think the others are already asleep.”

“They are,” Ginny confirmed. “Ron and Hermione went to bed as soon as Ron came barging into the tent. Luna and Neville went to bed shortly after that. Luna looked pretty tired. I hope she sleeps well tonight.”

Harry pulled Ginny close to him, snuggling her back against his chest and fell asleep. Ginny, who wasn’t tired in the slightest after her conversation with Harry, pulled Harry’s arm over her waist and around her stomach. The warmth of Harry’s body soothed her chilled arms and fell asleep thinking about secrets and the prices people pay to keep them.

On the other side of the tent, in an identical position, Hermione lay wrapped in Ron’s arms. Her mind wandered into unfamiliar territory as she thought about what would happen at the Ministry the following day. Ron grunted behind her, mumbled some incoherent words and pulled Hermione even closer than she had been. At first the tightness was unbearable. Hermione tried to pull away from Ron’s grip, but he held her fast and continued to dream. Hermione settled into Ron, allowing her mind to go blank and falling asleep as quickly as Ginny had.

On the last side of the tent, Luna lay awake. Neville lay beside her, rubbing her back and running his fingers through her hair. He was afraid to hold her close for fear that she would feel suffocated.

“Hold me,” Luna said in a pleading voice. “I feel so…” She trailed off, allowing her words to dissolve into thin air. “Just hold me, please.”

Neville sat up on the bed with his back facing the headboard. He pulled Luna into his lap, cradling her against his chest. He leaned back, feeling the hard wood against his spine. Luna had managed to curl up into the smallest area possible. He could feel her hot tears soaking through his shirt. Neville froze for a fraction of an instant when he heard Luna’s sobs. He had never held a woman who was so overwhelmingly distraught. Instinct kicked in and he rocked her slowly, rubbing her back with his free hand.

Softly, he sang to her, an old Irish song that his mother had sung to him when he was just a baby. His voice was deep and soothing.

“It seems like only yesterday I sailed from out of Cork. A wanderer from Erin's isle, I landed in New York. There wasn't a soul to greet me there, a stranger on your shore, but Irish luck was with me here, and riches came galore. And now that I'm going back again to dear old Erin's isle, my friends will meet me on the pier and greet me with a smile. Their faces, sure, I've almost forgot, I've been so long away, But me mother will introduce them all and this to me will say…”

Neville stopped when Luna’s sobs subsided and she stretched out a bit, causing Neville to sit up straight.

“Don’t stop.”

He smiled and began the chorus to the song.

“Shake hands with your Uncle Mike, me boy, And here is your sister, Kate. And there's the girl you used to swing down by the garden gate. Shake hands with all of the neighbours, and kiss the colleens all; you’re as welcome as the flowers in May to dear old Donnegal.”

Neville ended the chorus with a vivid picture of his mother when she was young and vibrant. For a fleeting moment he tolerated the image of his mother and father lying in their beds at St. Mungo’s.

The memory was driven from his mind when he heard Luna hum quietly. The notes were low and pleasant and Neville recognized them as the last verse to the song he had been singing. Tentatively, Luna began to sing the words, her voice a subtle contrast to Neville’s smooth tone. Without thinking, Neville added his voice to hers, enjoying the intimacy of the act.

“Meet Branigan, Fannigan, Milligan, Gilligan, Duffy, McCuffy, Malachy, Mahone, Rafferty, Lafferty, Donnelly, Connelly, Dooley, O'Hooley, Muldowney, Malone, Madigan, Cadigan, Lanihan, Flanihan, Fagan, O'Hagan, O'Hoolihan, Flynn, Shanihan, Manihan, Fogarty, Hogarty, Kelly, O'Kelly, McGuinness, McGuinn.”

They paused before finishing the song.

“Shake hands with your Uncle Mike, me boy, And here is your sister, Kate. And there's the girl you used to swing down by the garden gate. Shake hands with all of the neighbours, and kiss the colleens all; you’re as welcome as the flowers in May to dear old Donegal.”

As the chorus ended, Neville realized that Luna’s voice had faded into the night as sleep overtook her. She was still curled across him, her breathing deep and even, making it impossible for him to move. He pulled out his wand carefully, trying to avoid waking Luna, and cast a charm on the headboard of the bed, transfiguring it into a pillow. By the time his head hit the newly created pillow, he was asleep.

The morning came early, long before any of them were ready to face the day. Once awake, and in the process of eating breakfast, each of them seemed to notice a subtle difference in the air. It was unsettling given the circumstances of their mission. Hermione broke the silence.

“Harry, I’d like to speak with you.”

“Privately?”

“Yes.”

Harry followed Hermione as she led him away from the tent. He was surprised when she uttered the spell to prevent the others from hearing their conversation. It must have shown on his face, for Hermione smiled grimly before replying.

“I learned from the best.”

“I’ll take that in the manner it was intended,” Harry laughed but quickly realized that this was not the time to make jokes.

“I have this horrid feeling about today.”

“I know. I feel it too.”

“I’m scared.”

Harry waited patiently for Hermione to continue. He had learned from experience that it did no good to rush her. When she was ready to talk, she would.

“If something should happen to you…”

“Nothing is going to happen to me, Hermione.”

“If something should…”

“Nothing’s...”

“No, Harry,” she boomed. “You’re not listening.” She cringed slightly before continuing. “If something should happen to you, who will defeat Voldemort? Who will we turn to for leadership? Who will fulfill the prophesy? Who will be there for me if something happens to Ron?”

Looking thoroughly frightened at the amount of emotion pouring from Hermione, Harry pulled her into an attempt at a comforting hug. He thought about his response for a long while before he gently moved Hermione back so he could look her in the eyes.

“I have no answer that will release you from your fears. I can only offer you that which I know to be true. Look for yourself.”

Hermione looked deep within Harry’s eyes, seeing for herself the reasons that Harry had for believing in his mission. She saw Ginny sitting in the common room playing Wizards Chess with Ron. She was curled in an overlarge chair reading a sizeable book. Molly and Arthur were sitting on the couch. The scene flashed to Hogwarts where Professor McGonagall was sitting in her office reading a letter. Tonks and Lupin appeared next, holding hands as they walked through the wreckage of Hogsmeade looking for clues to the identity of the perpetrators behind the attack. Charlie and Cordi were a few steps behind them, whistling as they worked amidst the debris.

One by one, the faces of everyone Harry loved flashed before her eyes. As each face passed, her resolve grew stronger. She felt her fears fade into oblivion. Her fears no longer dictated her thoughts. She knew that while her fears were temporarily forgotten, they were far from gone.

Hermione took comfort in knowing that Harry had conquered his fears by remembering those he loved. If he could overcome his fears, which had to be a hundred times worse than hers, she could too.

“You see?” Harry asked gently. “It is okay to be scared, we all are, but there are things that are more important than your fears.”

“We should get back,” Hermione responded, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“We should,” Harry agreed. “Are you ready?”

“No. I don’t have much choice, though. We need to leave or you will miss your appointment with the Minister,” Hermione sighed.

“That would be awful,” Harry said sarcastically. “Let’s go and get this over with.”

The returned to the group post haste. Harry took it as a mark of their deep friendship that there wasn’t a trace of jealousy on Ron’s face. Ron’s eyes were full of concern, but having already asked for details and been rebuffed, he kept his mouth shut to avoid starting a wicked fight.

“Wise decision,” Harry whispered discretely as he brushed past Ron to stand by Ginny’s side.

“Everyone ready?” Ron asked.

Hermione was the only one who didn’t nod her assent. Ron’s look of concern became a look of unadulterated fear. He looked to Harry for answers. Harry shrugged in response, but it did not placate Ron. He opened his mouth to tell Harry exactly what he though about the whole situation when Hermione touched his shoulder gently.

“I’m ready,” she assured him. “I just needed a minute.”

“I’ll go first,” Ron indicated before disappearing.

Ginny and Hermione grabbed Luna and disappeared immediately after Ron left. Harry and Neville followed shortly thereafter. By the time Harry and Neville had situated themselves, Ron had already scouted the path they would take into the Ministry. He returned to the group to explain the plan.

“Harry, you are going first. Go straight to the Minister’s office. Ginny and I will enter just a minute after you do and we’re going directly to Percy’s office. Hermione, are you sure that you are prepared to go with Neville and Luna?”

“Yes,” she choked.

“Hermione, you and Luna need to get Neville to the Book. Take whatever measures are necessary, but for the love of Merlin, be careful. I want you to come back to me in one piece.”

For some reason, Ron’s last comment caused Hermione to break out in irrational tears. Ron looked bewildered when Hermione kissed him passionately and took off toward the covert entrance that the Aurors used to get into the Ministry. Luna and Neville exchanged a quick glance before hurrying across the street to join Hermione.

“Don’t look at me like that,” Ginny said irritably. “I can’t tell you, so don’t bother to ask.”

Ron looked at Harry with a thunderstruck expression. “I’m starting to envy you your discussion with the Minister,” Ron mumbled.

“I’ll meet you guys at the rendezvous point,” Harry announced. He kissed Ginny quickly while whispering in her ear to take it easy on Ron.

Ron and Ginny watched as Harry crossed the street to the main entrance of the Ministry. They each took several deep breaths in preparation for their meeting with Percy before trudging across the street in the same direction that Harry had.

“I guess we don’t get to go shopping before the meeting,” Ginny whispered irritably as they crowded in to the telephone booth that was the visitors’ entrance to the Ministry of Magic.

“Why are you so grumpy? You can go shopping anytime you want now,” Ron whispered back jealously as Ginny dialed six-two-four-four-two on the dial.

“You can too,” Ginny whispered back. “You know that Harry and I both want you to have everything we have. We’ll share every last Knut with you.”

They were both ignoring the Welcome Witch’s announcement. Suddenly her voice rang out loud and clear, and she waited quite impatiently, as if expecting an answer from them.

“Oh,” Ginny exclaimed, “we’re here to see Percy Weasley. Our appointment is at…”

“Eleven. Take your visitor badges and affix them to the front of your robes. In plain sight, please. You must submit to a search and present your wand at the security desk before taking the lift to level two.” The Welcome Witch’s voice sounded crystal clear through the panels of glass that separated her from Ron and Ginny.

“That’s not the point,” Ron mumbled, the tips of his ears turning bright red as he took his badge and handed Ginny hers. He was intent on finishing the conversation they had started.

“Then what is?” Ginny shot back as they entered the foyer, bypassing the magical fountain and turning in their wands to be weighed.

“I don’t want to take money from my little sister and her new husband,” Ron grumbled as he took his wand back from Eric, watching as he skewered the parchments onto the small brass spike.

“Her new husband,” Ginny fumed as they headed toward the lift. “As I recall, he was your best mate before he was ever my husband.”

“I…” sputtered Ron. “That’s really not the point. How can you expect me to grovel for money?”

“Grovel,” Ginny shrieked, attracting all sorts of attention as they entered through the opened lift doors.

Ron’s face was flaming by the time the doors closed, and he was grateful that the startled onlookers could no longer watch their argument.

“How can you say that?” Ginny persisted. “When have you ever had to grovel? When has Harry ever made you feel like you even had to ask for money?”

There was a pregnant pause as Ron shuffled his feet and scratched at his head. “Well,” he began, “never really.”

“Then, what is this about?” Ginny demanded. “I don’t have time for shenanigans, Ron.”

“I just want…”

“What? Ron, spit it out already.”

“I want to be able to provide for Hermione,” Ron admitted. “I don’t want to take a handout each time that I need something.”

Ginny had just opened her mouth to retort when the lift doors opened and two witches from the Wizengamot got on, effectively halting their conversation. An uncomfortable silence filled the life as they ascended to the second level. The doors opened for the last time, allowing Ron, Ginny, and the two Wizengamot witches off the lift. After Ron stepped off the lift, he watched as several interdepartmental memos flew into the lift just as the door slid shut.

“Which way to Percy’s office?” Ron mumbled.

“Percy Weasley?” asked one of the witches.

“Yes. He’s our brother,” Ginny replied nervously, hoping their ulterior motives didn’t show.

“He’s in the third office on the right,” the other witch told them, “if you get to the heavy metal doors, you’ve gone too far.”

“Thank you,” Ron breathed.

Ron and Ginny hurried away, trying to walk at a normal pace and failing miserably. They ended up compromising by half walking, half skipping down the hall, looking incredibly foolish as they went.

By the time they reached Percy’s office, he had left. There was a terse note, bordering on rude, that he had left pinned to the door.

“We’re to meet our guide in the Atrium,” Ginny observed.

“That’s where we just came from,” Ron complained. “I don’t want to get back into that lift.”

“What?” Ginny said exasperatedly, on the verge of socking her bother in the shoulder. It wasn’t the time to hex him; they had enough magic to do once they made it to the Atrium.

“Well, at least we’ll be where we need to be,” Ron declared.

“Indeed,” Ginny agreed.

“Are you ready to make some trouble?” Ron asked, grinning affectionately at his baby sister.

“Let’s show the world that Fred and George aren’t the only Weasleys that can create havoc,” Ginny bragged.

They walked back to the lift and managed to ride it down to the Atrium without encountering another soul. Ginny pulled out Harry’s invisibility cloak and covered herself. She and Ron exited the lift quickly taking their places on either side of the Fountain of Magical Brethren. Ron waited until he could see their tour guide pacing irritably, waiting impatiently for them to arrive.

The attack was swift and Ron’s plan was executed flawlessly. Ron released Fred and George’s new products, creating life-sized versions of the Death Eaters throughout the Atrium. Ginny, still hidden beneath the Invisibility Cloak, would slip in and out between the figures, firing off mild hexes at the Ministry personnel.

Once they had raised enough of a ruckus, an alarm began to sound throughout the building. The alarm blared in the Atrium, causing a wave of panic to ripple through the crowds of people. They began to stampede toward the exits. Several unfortunate wizards got caught underfoot and trampled before Ginny could help them up.

Ron made his way through the frightened crowd, maneuvering quickly and efficiently. He reached the door where he knew Hermione, Neville, and Luna were hiding. He opened the door and helped them to slip through the Atrium unnoticed.

“Good luck,” he whispered as they entered the hallway leading to the Department of Mysteries.

He watched as Hermione, Ron, and Luna raced down the hallway. The thundering of their footsteps alerted the wizards guarding the Department of Mysteries. For a split second, Ron was certain that they would be caught. Hermione, who had raised her wand as she heard the door opening, stunned all three wizards without breaking her stride. Ron beamed proudly before rejoining Ginny in the Atrium.

Ron and Ginny continued to wreak havoc on the Ministry Officials. Ginny’s Bat Bogey Hexes were flying across the room at an alarming rate. Ron was casting every annoying hex he could think of. He watched in amusement as one of the witches grew fur that covered her entire body. He laughed out loud as a wizard who had been hit with both a Jelly Legs curse from Ginny and a Twitchy Ears hex from Ron started to flop around on the floor, scratching frantically at his ears.

Ron and Ginny continued to send curses flying at the Officials, keeping them occupied long enough to allow Hermione a fair chance to find the book.

**************

“Which way do you reckon we should go?” Neville asked.

“Go to the right,” Luna answered confidently.

They all turned down the next hallway; each one hoping that they were heading toward the room that housed the book.

“Stop,” Hermione commanded. “This can’t be the right way. The last time we were here there was a room full of doors.”

“What?” Neville choked.

“Hold on,” Luna insisted. “She’s right.”

Without hesitation, they turned around and headed in the other direction. Luna was walking slowly, lagging behind Neville and Hermione. Hermione turned and looked over her shoulder, wondering where Luna had gone, when she saw the two Death Eaters out of the corner of her eye.

“Get down,” Hermione bellowed.

Neville and Luna both crashed to the floor. Hermione got off several good hexes before the Death Eaters had even reacted to her cry. Luna crawled to when Neville lay on the floor. By the time she had put up her shield, Hermione had already incapacitated the Death Eaters. Luna got off the floor, hauling Neville up, and conjured ropes to hold the Death Eaters.

“Are we just going to leave them here?” Neville asked, pointing at the captured Death Eaters.

“Someone will find them sooner or later,” Luna reasoned.

“What are they doing here?” Hermione demanded.

“Probably the same thing we are,” Luna offered helpfully.

“Why would they want the book?” Neville asked. “They can’t read it.”

“If they have it,” Hermione explained, “we can’t destroy it.”

“What if it’s not the Horcrux,” Neville worried. “This is an awful lot of trouble to go through if it’s just an old book.”

Luna smiled grimly. “I wish it were just a book.”

Before they knew it, they had reached the room with many doors. Several doors still bore the imprint of Hermione’s ‘flagrate’ spell from two years before.

Hermione and Neville looked at Luna expectantly. She looked around at the doors and muttered something under her breath. The lights in the room extinguished themselves and the room was plunged into absolute darkness. Slowly, everyone’s eyes grew accustomed to the darkness. Once their eyes had adjusted, a faint light was visible under the door directly in between two of the doors that Hermione had previously marked.

“Shall we?” Luna joked, as if they were heading down to breakfast.

“Yes, and we’d better go quickly before any more Death Eaters show up,” Hermione cautioned.

Since they had no idea how far the Prophesy extended, they allowed Neville to open the door to the forbidden room. He grasped the handle, turned it, and the door glowed faintly. The anticipation got to Hermione and she shoved Neville forward, causing the door to fly open. Even Hermione was speechless. The room was empty save for a large wooden stand directly in the center.

“It’s empty,” Hermione sputtered. “How could the Death Eaters have beaten us to it?”

“Gone?” Neville echoed.

“I can’t believe they beat us here,” Luna added.

“Gone?” Neville asked again. “Are you two batty?”

“Of course. Neville can see it,” Hermione marveled.

Neville reached up to the shelf, removed the book from the stand and open the cover cautiously. “Now what?” He turned around to face Hermione and Luna.

Neville nearly dropped the book when he heard Luna’s cry of fear.

“Neville,” she whimpered. “Your eyes.”

“Can you see?” Hermione asked carefully.

“Yes,” Neville responded, thoroughly confused as to why they were both so upset.

Although he could not tell, the moment he opened the book, Neville’s eyes had gone blank. Not a trace of color could be seen in his eyes.

Luna and Hermione were frightened, but resolved to finish the task that lay before them.

“Are you ready?’ Luna asked, trying not to look into Neville’s eyes.

“Yes. What do I do?”

“Turn the book upside down,” Hermione instructed. “Then, you will need to flip to the last page and read.”

Luna and Hermione watched with bated breath as Neville spun the book upside down and turned to the last page and read the words. Nothing happened.

“Read it out loud,” Hermione advised.

Neville turned his white orbs on Hermione, sending chills down her spine. “Amoris. Debellare. Quaeque.”

Hermione turned to Luna. “Love. Conquers. Everything,” she translated. “That’s all there is?” she asked Neville.

“Yes, but nothing is happening,” Neville observed.

“Try reading it one more time,” Hermione encouraged.

“Amoris debellare quaeque.” Neville spoke with more confidence this time.

Hermione and Luna threw themselves to the ground in time to avoid the blinding light that emanated from the book.

“Now what?” Neville asked, his eyes returning to their normal shade of brown.

“As much as it pains me to do it,” Hermione debated, “we should destroy the book.”

Luna offered to demolish the book since Hermione’s face had turned green at the thought of harming such a priceless treasure. Surprisingly, the moment she touched her wand to the book and muttered, “Incendio,” the book vanished in a puff of smoke.

“We’d better get back to Harry,” Neville advised. “If he’s alone with Scrimgeour too long, he might do something he’ll regret.”

Hermione and Luna nodded seriously, each picturing Harry turning the Minister into a creature. Hermione pictured a Flobberworm, while Luna pictured a Bowtruckle. Both of them giggled at their own imaginations, them sobered when they realized each was a possibility if the Minister pushed Harry too far.

Luna grabbed Neville’s hand, pulling down the hallway behind them as they ran to the Atrium. By the time they made it to the entrance, the diversion battle was already over. Ron and Ginny were nowhere to be seen.

Hermione was just beginning to go insane with worry when a hand, floating in midair, grabbed hers. She started to scream when another hand covered her mouth. Luna and Neville were oblivious to Hermione’s predicament, as they were both scanning the ruined Atrium for signs of Ron and Ginny.

“It’s us,” Ron whispered into Hermione’s ear. “Did you get it?”

Hermione simply nodded.

“What happened?” Ginny asked impatiently. “Did it all go as planned?”

When Hermione didn’t respond, Ginny asked again loudly and alerted Neville and Luna to her presence. Neville reached out and tugged on the Invisibility Cloak. It slid to the floor, uncovering Ron with his hand across Hermione’s mouth and Ginny, with her hands on her hips and her lips pursed in aggravation.

“Ron,” Ginny practically hollered. “Move your ruddy hand so she can answer.”

“Sorry,” Ron said sheepishly.

“Everything went as planned,” Hermione told them quickly. “We need to get to Harry before…”

Just as Hermione was about to speculate what Harry would do to the Minister, two figures appeared before them.

“Harry,” Ginny cried out. “Are you alright?”

“Yes. I’m fine,” Harry gasped. “Help me with this git.”

“Draco,” Hermione exclaimed.

“I hit him with a trophy in the Minister’s office,” Harry explained. “I thought he was going to attack me and then go after the Minister.”

“What happened to the Minister?” Ron asked.

“He had just left me in his office to investigate the disturbance in the Atrium,” Harry spat. “He didn’t go to the Atrium, though, he left. I watched him as he Apparated out of the Ministry. Bloody coward.”

“A trophy?” Hermione giggled. “Was your wand inaccessible?”

“No,” Harry retorted. “I just…”

Draco stirred on the floor. He sat up dazedly, looking at his new surroundings and coughed. He winced at the pain in his ribs and felt them gingerly.

“Did you have to hit me so hard?” he grumbled.

“You’re lucky he didn’t curse you into oblivion,” Neville blurted. “You deserve it.”

“We’ll see about that,” Draco boasted. He coughed again, clutching his bruised ribs.

“What do you mean? Tell me,” Harry demanded. “Why did you Apparate into the Minister’s office?”

“There were Death Eaters here,” Hermione pointed out. “Do you know why?”

“They were a distraction,” Draco breathed, his words coming in spurts between the pain. “They were sent to keep you occupied. Where else would you have liked me to Apparate? I was trying to find you.”

“Why?” Harry snarled.

“Go home,” Draco commanded.

“Why?” Harry and Ginny said simultaneously.

“To save your family,” Draco emphasized mysteriously before touching his Dark Mark and disappearing before anyone could stop him.


Back to Donegal
Words & music: Steve Graham
Copyright: @1942 Leeds Music Corp. New York


Chapter Twenty-One: Storm the Fortress


Back to index


Chapter 21: Chapter Twenty-One: Storm the Fortress

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Harry, Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Luna, and Neville stared at the space Malfoy had just occupied.

“Did he just say that the Burrow is under attack?” Ron managed to squeak out.

“I think he did,” Harry confirmed.

“Do you think it’s a trap?” Ginny wondered.

“I don’t know,” Harry admitted.

“Should we go?” Neville questioned.

“I don’t think we have much of a choice. Be prepared for anything.”

Harry and Ginny grabbed Neville at the same time Ron and Hermione grabbed Luna. They all disappeared silently.

When they reappeared, there was no amount of planning or background that could have prepared them for the destruction they found.

The last of Voldemort’s followers had attacked with a vengeance. It seemed that they were out for retribution for every good act that had ever been committed. Their numbers were few, but they fought as if their master’s vicious anger empowered them.

Flames erupted from the second level of the Burrow. Harry heard Fred and George calling out to him, their voices all but blocked by the thickness of the smoke billowing from the upper levels of the Burrow. He was grateful that the Death Eaters still hadn’t noticed the newcomers’ arrival. They were locked in battle with members of the Order who had arrived previously. Their preoccupation gave Ron a chance to form a plan of attack.

“Harry,” Ron hissed. “Harry!”

Harry jerked himself out of the horrific nightmare he had been reliving. He looked around frantically, searching for Charlie, Bill, Fleur, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. He couldn’t find any of them. Instead, his eyes fell upon the two people he had not expected to see.

“Harry,” Ron repeated.

“Malfoys,” Harry choked out.

“We don’t have time for that,” Ron commanded. “Get it together.”

“Draco? What about him?” Ginny asked Harry.

“Not just Draco,” Harry grunted.

“We don’t have time for this,” Ron bellowed, growing more impatient and taking a chance that he might reveal their location.

Instantly Harry and Ginny stopped having their own conversation and looked at Ron. “What’s the plan?” they asked in unison.

“We need to split up,” Ron asserted. “Neville, Luna, and I will take the left side of the house. Harry, you, Ginny, and Hermione will take the right side. The goal is to trap them while the Order is distracting them. Ginny, keep your shield spell up as long as you can.”

Ginny looked at Ron while Harry said, “I don’t think that’s a good idea, Ron. I think someone else should be responsible for the shield.”

“Harry,” Ginny exclaimed in a furious tone.

“Fine,” Harry conceded. “I don’t want a repeat of your last performance though, keep it in check,” he said sternly.

Ginny grinned devilishly, looking startlingly mysterious. “I will.”

Suddenly, before they could separate for their attack, a loud explosion ripped through the tumultuous air.

“What was that?” Ron screamed, trying to make himself heard over the racket.

Harry and Ginny, who were the only two facing the Burrow, gasped in shock and rage. Harry’s jaw dropped to the ground and it was all he could do to point in the direction of the house. Ron spun on his heel, catching the last of the destruction as the house collapsed. When the noise subsided, the roof of the house was flush with the ground, and several people had been forced out of their hiding places.

The battle began again in earnest as Molly, Arthur, Charlie, Bill, Fleur, Fred, and George rejoined the fight against Death Eaters along with the latest batch of Order members who had just recently arrived.

Neville, Luna, and Ron made their way to the left side of the house stealthily. Ron, who was leading them through the middle of the battle, nearly tripped over Fleur’s legs when he got to the edge of the rubble.

“Ron!” Fleur exclaimed. “Bill, Ron ees here.”

Bill and Charlie both called out words of warning. Fred and George appeared through the smoke right behind Charlie.

“Where are Harry and Ginny?” Fred asked loudly.

“Where’s Hermione?” George added even more loudly than Fred.

“They’re on the other side with Mum and Dad,” Ron bellowed. They were all having difficulties hearing over the cacophony of spells.

Harry, Ginny, and Hermione had made their way to the right side of the house with far more difficulty than Ron’s group had. Molly kept trying to protect them by sending stunning spells at the Death Eaters directly behind them. Twice, she missed and hit Hermione. Twice, Harry and Ginny had to revive Hermione. When Molly took aim for the third time, Ginny tossed the gentlest blocking spell she could muster at her mum. Molly was shoved backward, grabbing the sleeve of Arthur’s robes as she tumbled to the ground. Arthur was thrown off balance and the bright light of a rather nasty hex flew by, barely missing his ear.

“What in the blazes?” Arthur bellowed.

Harry, Ginny, and Hermione rushed to Molly’s side to help her up. By the time they reached her side, Cordi had already helped her up. Molly had steadied herself on her knees and was brushing the dust off her face.

“Where have you been?” she asked shrilly.

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off by Ginny’s hand on his arm. She whirled him around just in time to see Draco, who was standing just a few feet in front of them, duck an Unforgivable.

Harry’s neck snapped to the right to see where the curse had come from. While Harry still didn’t trust Draco, he had to concede that Draco had come to the Ministry to warn them of the attack. “It definitely wasn’t in his best interest,” Harry hesitantly admitted to himself.

Charlie was crouched on the ground, firing curses at Draco in a violent attempt to protect Molly. There was a sharp pain in Harry’s neck as his head jerked from right to left as he watched the bolts of light fly back and forth. Charlie had just gotten the upper hand when someone else joined their duel.

Harry stopped gaping long enough to stun a Death Eater who had crept closer to the rubble and was attempting to stun Arthur. Arthur and Cordi were both enthusiastically engaged in a struggle with a particularly large Death Eater. Neither of them had noticed the scrawny wizard approaching from the left, Harry had noticed because it was the same direction that Draco had come from.

Harry heard a terrified scream from behind him followed by a word that he had never heard Molly use before. He snapped his head back to the skirmish between Draco and Charlie, still firing spells at the Death Eaters, and noticed the new player.

Blasts of blinding light flew from Narcissa’s wand and she strode closer to the wreckage of the Burrow. She planted her feet firmly on the ground and assumed a defensive stance once she was in between Draco and Charlie.

Narcissa threw a hex at Charlie, clipping his shoulder and spinning him around. He fell to the ground with a loud thud, the sound of his arm snapping piercing the clamor of the battle. Fred and George hurried forward to heal Charlie’s arm while Molly let loose with a string of words. Harry was positive that if Molly had heard one of her children using those words, no amount of cotton stuffed into their ears would have protected them from her lecture.

While Narcissa was distracted by the appearance of Fred and George, Molly got off one spell. Narcissa’s wand arm was sliced deeply from her shoulder to her wrist. Blood poured from her wound and she dropped to the ground. She muttered a spell and watched carefully as her skin on her arm mended itself crudely. She glanced up with hatred in her eyes. “You have no part in this,” Narcissa ranted. “Why did you have to get involved?”

Molly stared at Narcissa. Two mothers, with identical steely glares, cautiously eyed each other, each of them bent on protecting their own.

Narcissa fired a hex at Molly. Molly dodged the curse but tripped over Cordi, who was still helping Arthur fight the Death Eaters. The Death Eaters didn’t seem to diminish when one of them fell. Ginny was using her shield spell to protect her dad, Cordi, and Hermione as they shot spell at the Death Eaters.

The sounds of fighting raged on around him. Harry was too involved in the duel between Draco and Charlie to worry about the Death Eaters. He couldn’t allow anything to happen to Charlie. Never the less, Harry continued to fire spells at the Death Eaters. He moved into position to stun Narcissa when Molly, who had managed to crawl to a spot where she could return fire, sent a curse straight at her.

Narcissa absorbed the brunt of the curse, reeling backwards but managing to remain upright. She steadied herself quickly and sent a curse flying at Molly. Molly was in the open and had nothing to hide behind except her husband, so she steeled herself for the impact of the curse. She closed her eyes as the seconds ticked by slowly. Time seemed to stop as images of her children flashed before her eyes. Percy’s face flashed before Molly’s eyes. Not the wizard that he had become, but the innocent child he had once been.

There was a loud ‘clang’ followed by a muffled cry of pain. Molly’s eyes flew open as the dead weight of a body fell on her. Before she cold move, the body was dragged off her and Ginny pulled her behind the protection of the remains of the house. Ginny helped her to her feet and returned to the fierce battle with the Death Eaters.

Harry looked at Draco in amazement. The fall of a Death Eater had temporarily distracted Harry. He had returned to the fight with Narcissa just in time to see Draco throw a round object that looked curiously like a dinner plate into the air in front of Molly. The object grew to the size of a Quidditch goal hoop. Harry watched as the spell, burning bright green as it approached the object blocking its path, hit the shield, bounced off and sliced through the air near Draco’s head. Draco slumped to the ground, falling on Molly and inadvertently protecting her from any further harm.

Harry rushed to their side, pulling Ginny away from the battle to help him. He grabbed Draco and heaved him behind the ruins. By the time Harry set Draco on the ground, he was soaked in blood. Harry quickly discovered that the spell had done tremendous damage to Draco’s head. It looked like she had used ‘Secumseptra’ against him. Luckily for Draco, the spell had only grazed him. Even so, the gash on his scalp was deep. Harry staunched the flow of blood and conjured a temporary bandage. He turned toward Ginny, secure in the knowledge that it appeared that Draco would survive. Ginny, with a physical strength she had not yet shown, managed to pull Molly behind the house and get her on her feet before returning to fight the Death Eaters.

Harry turned to Narcissa again, prepared to block any more spells that might be aimed at Molly. The time that he had taken to save Draco had cost him dearly. Molly screamed, a heart wrenching scream that temporarily stopped the battle, when she saw Charlie laying face down in the dirt.

Harry was knocked to the ground when the full force of Molly’s weight hit him. Molly collapsed, falling sideways causing Harry’s head to hit a chunk of rubble as he hit the ground.

Fleur, who had been on the opposite side of the house, saw Molly fall and cried out to Bill. She rushed forward to resume the duel with Narcissa. Fleur’s spells were erratic but powerful. The spells hit the ground around Narcissa’s feet, throwing her off balance. She stumbled from side to side in an attempt to avoid Fleur’s curses. Fleur started to approach Narcissa. As she drew closer, her spells became more accurate. She stopped a few feet away from Narcissa.

“Fleur,” Bill hollered across what used to be the garden in front of the Burrow. “Get back here, you’re exposed.”

Fleur turned away from Narcissa for a split second when she realized that she was no longer protected by anything other than her wand. She threw up a shield spell, but it was too late.

Green light jetted across the garden and hit Fleur in the center of her chest. The force of the impact threw her backward toward the rubble. Her body fell in a graceful arc. A horrified cry echoed though the battle before her body could hit the ground.

“Percy! What have you done?” Bill screamed as he rushed to Fleur’s side.

His mouth open wide in horror, Percy couldn’t react in time to save himself from the curse Narcissa sent at him. His face registered surprise as the green streak collided with his chest. He fell backward, in the same graceful arc as Fleur. His body hit the ground and everyone was momentarily distracted from their fighting by the chaos that erupted

Molly, drawing herself up to her full height, advanced on Narcissa. Arthur tried to grab her arm and hold her back, but she wrenched free and continued on her way. Harry looked at Ginny, not knowing what to do. She had just lost a son, possibly two and she had every right to protect her family. Ginny nodded in understanding and concentrated on shielding her mother from the curses that had resumed flying through the air. Harry stayed by Ginny’s side, deflecting any curses that were aimed at her as she started to grow still with the effort of maintaining the shield so far away. Ginny’s body began to levitate, he feet at the same height as Harry’s shoulders. Her hair began to float on an imaginary breeze and her eyes hardened.

Harry sent a curse at a Death Eater he didn’t recognize, knocking him to the ground before turning to check on Ginny. He couldn’t believe his eyes. Ginny was on the verge of destruction again. Her body had begun to emit a bright light.

Hermione, who had been holding her own with a particularly powerful Death Eater, managed to stun him along with his companion. She made her way through the rubble to Harry’s side. Harry pointed at Ginny and silently asked Hermione what to do. She shook her head in response, staring across the garden for a glimpse of Ron and the others. She had been so preoccupied with her fight that she hadn’t noticed Charlie’s fall, Fleur’s death, or Percy’s arrival, let alone his demise. She tugged on Harry’s sleeve, her eyes wide with horror and pointed at the center of the battlefield.

Molly, who, along with the other members of her family and the Order, was protected by Ginny’s shield, stood over Narcissa’s lifeless body. Narcissa had battled valiantly, but Ginny’s shield was too strong. None of Narcissa’s curses made it through, while all of Molly’s found their mark. After being hit by several curses, one after the other, Narcissa sunk to her knees and begged for death.

“Finish me,” she cried. “I have nothing left.”

Molly took no pity on her and, without speaking, prepared to grant Narcissa her wish. She raised her wand and then dropped it.

“I can’t,” Molly cried. “I won’t.”

“How can you deny me a death that is so justly deserved?” Narcissa moaned. “Finish me.”

“I can’t,” Molly repeated. “You have a son who needs you.”

“He doesn’t need me,” Narcissa howled. “He joined the Death Eaters. I’ve spent the past weeks trying to keep him out of harm’s way, but he keeps running back to them. What good am I?”

“You’re his mother,” Molly observed sadly. “He needs your love.” Her voice broke as she looked at the bodies of Percy, Charlie, and Fleur. “He will die without your love.”

Narcissa raised herself up enough to see the area where Harry had propped Draco’s body, but the rubble was piled too high to see it. “It’s too late,” Narcissa whispered. “It’s over.”

Molly opened her mouth to respond, but Narcissa had already aimed her wand at her own heart. “Love your own,” Narcissa demanded.

“You don’t know what you say,” Molly roared.

“Love them,” Narcissa pleaded one last time.

Molly couldn’t make out the words that left Narcissa’s lips, but she had no need to. The green light hit her and she sunk to the ground with a look of surprise on her face.


Molly turned to Arthur, her eyes brimming with tears. He rushed to her side and gathered her into his arms. He carried her back to the rubble, under the protection of Ginny’s shield and sunk to his knees. He cradled Molly in his lap, soothing her and petting her hair.

The light emanating from Ginny began to illuminate the entire battlefield. Not a single shadow remained. Even the Death Eaters, hiding at the base of the trees were lit up as if Muggle spotlights had been aimed at them from every possible angle.

“Merlin,” Harry breathed.

“Ron!” Hermione screamed.

Ron’s head could be seen above the ruins across the garden. His head bobbed wildly as he battled the Death Eaters. Curses flew at the Death Eaters from both sides. Ron, Luna, Neville, Cordi, Bill, Fred, and George ferociously fought them from the front while the members of the Order fought them from the back. He sent a stunning curse through the lower branches of the trees, effectively stopping the Death Eater from hexing Cordi. His head popped up and he scanned the grounds for Hermione.

“What?” he hollered.

Hermione pointed at Ginny. Ron seemed to be genuinely surprised, as if he had not noticed the sudden light that had flooded onto the battlefield. He nodded in understanding. He had created a contingency plan for just this situation. He grabbed Neville and Luna and they disappeared. Hermione disappeared, reappeared next to Fred and George, grabbed them and disappeared.

“Stay here,” Harry commanded to Molly and Arthur. “We’ll be back shortly. Whatever you do, don’t leave the protection of Ginny’s shield.”

When he got no argument, Harry disappeared and reappeared next to Cordi ordering her to grab Charlie’s arm without preamble. Cordi seemed genuinely scared for the first time since Harry had met her. She trembled slightly, but she reached down bravely and grabbed Charlie firmly. Harry struggled briefly, never having tried to disappear with a body before but managed to disappear after a few attempts.

By the time Harry had managed to get both Cordi and Charlie back into Ginny’s protective shield, Ron and Hermione had returned with their charges.

“I have one more person to get,” Harry said in a voice that allowed no argument.

He returned empty handed to everyone’s surprise.

“I was too late,” he said simply.

“Is everyone ready?” Ron asked.

Hermione, Luna, Neville, and Harry all nodded solemnly. This was their only chance. If Ron’s plan should fail, there was no telling what the outcome would be. Harry was sure of only one thing. If they didn’t succeed, Ginny would not survive.

Harry joined hands with Neville and Hermione. Ron took Hermione’s other hand and grabbed Luna’s. Luna and Neville linked hands to close the circle they had formed. Molly, Arthur, Bill, Fred, George, Cordi all huddled in the center, the unusual silence caused by fear. Charlie’s back rested against Cordi’s legs and his legs were draped over Molly’s.

Hermione hesitated for a moment. “What about the Order?” she asked.

Harry broke contact with the circle. He was gone and back before anyone had a chance to argue with him. “We don’t have time for any more interruptions.”

Hermione grabbed his hand while Neville grabbed the other one. They softly began to repeat the spell that Ginny had found in Lily’s diary.

“Amatorius armorum.”

Their voices were quietly nervous at first, their worries present in their voices. As the continued to chant and spell began to take effect, their voices grew with confidence. A black spot appeared in the brightness of Ginny’s light. The longer they chanted, the larger it got. It grew from a pinpoint of darkness to the size of a Knut. It continued to grow, casting a shadow of darkness over those it protected. Soon, the blackness covered them, like Harry’s Invisibility Cloak draping over the circle. Only a small beam of light was visible under the blackness of their shield.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, and Luna broke the circle, raised their arms to the sky and uttered in perfect unison, “Amatorius armorum.”

The blackness was complete. It was only seconds later that an explosion ripped through the field of battle decimating everything that lay before it. Nothing was spared from the total destruction. Neville and Hermione were both knocked off their feet with the impact of the blowout. Harry, Ron, and Luna managed to remain upright, but Ron was forced to his knees.

As the light faded into darkness, the chaos died along with the remaining Death Eaters. The discord of the battle faded into an eerie silence. Molly’s sobs could be heard plainly as she rocked the body of her son.

Harry ran to find Ginny, her body no longer levitating in the air and missing from the destruction. He searched through the wreckage to no avail. Trees were uprooted. Large boulders had been flung and landed haphazardly. Even the ruins of the Burrow had been further destroyed. Boards from the side of the house were scattered throughout and some had landed on the bodies of the Death Eaters. Harry ran amongst the ruins, across the cracked foundation and tried not to trip over the wreckage. The tears flooding his eyes made it virtually impossible to see where he was going. He tried to find her, searching his mind for the faintest sign that she was still alive, but there was none.

“Harry,” Hermione called.

Harry ignored her and continued to search frantically. He was throwing the boards out of his way with inhuman strength. When he came across the body of a Death Eater, he would send it back to the Ministry. He continued to search even though his hands were bruised and bleeding.

“Harry,” Hermione tried again.

“What?” he screamed. “I have to find her.”

“I don’t see her, Mate,” Ron said gently.

“She’s gone,” Hermione sniffed.

“She’s not gone,” Luna bellowed. “She’s just simply not here.”

“What?” Harry asked, his eyes filling with tears and his breath catching in his throat.

“Go to her,” Luna instructed. “We’ll clean up here.”

“Where do I go?” Harry wailed.

“Look into your heart,” Luna commanded, “and see beyond the pain. I know you can feel it. You felt it when you first touched the earrings, didn’t you. Stop hesitating. Her life depends on you. Go to her.”

Harry couldn’t contain his emotions. Luna could be wrong, but she knew about the earrings. He hadn’t even told Ron about the earrings. “You saw?” he asked hopefully.

“Go to her,” Luna shouted. “You’re wasting time.”

Harry disappeared without another word. Within minutes, a single Phoenix feather flashed in the air where Harry had been. It glowed with a rich maroon light before fading into the darkness.

“He’s found her and she’s safe,” Luna announced. “They have a great deal of healing to do.” Luna held up her hand when both Ron and Hermione began to protest. “There isn’t anything we can do to help. This is something that Harry has to do on his own.”

Neville looked around in confusion. “What are we going to do?”

The four shared a concerned look before they surveyed the debris. Molly was still sobbing. Arthur helped her to her feet and together they gathered Percy in their arms. Arthur held them both, rocking them slowly.

Hermione shook off the sadness and assumed the role of leader in Harry’s absence. “We need to notify Penelope. We need to find a place for the Weasleys to stay. We need to get Charlie some medical attention, someone needs to take him to St. Mungo’s.”

Ron stared at Percy’s body for a long minute. “We should…”

A loud gasp interrupted Ron’s idea. Fred and George hugged each other tightly, anticipating the worst. Charlie was sitting up and coughing violently. Cordi held him tightly as he began to shake in her arms. After a few difficult breaths, Charlie opened his eyes. He smiled slightly when he saw Cordi’s face peering at him anxiously.

“Gave you a bit of a start, did I?” he joked weakly.

“Don’t do it again,” she sobbed.

Charlie smiled weakly and his eyes wandered to Ron, who was holding Hermione tightly. He saw Neville, whose arm was wrapped around Luna’s waist. His smile slipped from his face when he saw his parents, holding Percy’s lifeless body.

“Where’s Harry? Where’s Ginny?” he asked urgently, when he realized they were nowhere to be found.

Ron turned to Hermione with a questioning look in his eyes. Hermione’s eyes told him, in no uncertain terms, not to reveal any information. “They’re safe.”

Charlie nodded, but his face registered concern. “What do we do now?”

“We were just trying to find a place to put Mum and Dad,” Ron told him.

“They could stay with Gran,” Neville offered. “She’d be glad to have them. I think.”

Luna chuckled at Neville’s continued uncertainty with regards to his grandmother. He had grown up and faced his biggest fears, but the mention of his grandmother still sent chills up his spine.

“We’ll need help getting everyone settled,” Hermione announced practically.

“What about Dobby and Winky?” Luna offered. “We could go to Grimmauld Place and get them. They could make all the arrangements.”

“Yes,” Hermione said slowly. “We could.”

Ron looked at Hermione in surprise. “What do you know that we don’t?”

“Ronald, there’s no time,” Hermione exclaimed, sounding like herself once again.

“Grimmauld Place it is,” Ron retorted. “No questions asked.”

Chapter Twenty Two: Last Ditch Effort


Back to index


Chapter 22: Chapter Twenty-Two: Last Ditch Effort

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


Harry hesitated for only a moment after Luna's admission. He searched his mind for any indication that Ginny still lived. Seconds later, having found no sign of her alive and well, Harry looked to Luna.

“What?” he asked, the tears threatening to spill over, yet his eyes filling with hope.

“Go to her,” Luna instructed. “We’ll clean up here.”

“Where do I go?” Harry hated the way his voice sounded whiny, as if he were a young child begging for treats he had been denied.

“Look into your heart,” Luna commanded, “and see beyond the pain. I know you can feel it. You felt it when you first touched the earrings, didn’t you? Her life depends on you. Stop hesitating and go to her.”

How could Luna possibly know about the earrings? She couldn't. Unless... “You saw?” he asked hopefully.

“Go to her,” Luna shouted. “You’re wasting time.”

Harry disappeared, his insides trembling with fear, and reappeared in the one place Harry knew Ginny would go when she was in trouble. The one place she had felt the love that was so overpowering she couldn't contain it. Harry knew that Ginny felt that the Burrow was the one place she felt protected above all else. Harry also knew that Ginny knew that the Burrow had been destroyed. Harry could think of only one other place that Ginny would go.

Despite the informal relationship Harry enjoyed with Tom, the barkeep at the Leaky Cauldron, Harry didn't think it was the best idea to Apparate in unannounced. He appeared in the alley behind the Leaky Cauldron in his Phoenix form, making sure that no one was there, before transforming. He entered the Leaky Cauldron through the back door, and paused only to nod at Tom, before starting up the stairs to the room he and Ginny had shared on the night of their honeymoon. His heart racing with fear, Harry tore up the stairs. He threw caution to the wind, and ignoring the violent pounding in his chest, threw open the door to the room.

The door slammed against the wall creating an odd feeling in the pit of Harry's stomach. The room appeared to be empty and Ginny was nowhere to be found. Harry's heart sank, the butterflies in his stomach fluttered behind his rib cage.

"Now what do I do?" he sobbed. "I was sure she would be here. Ginny, come home!”

An intense light filled the room. Harry raised his hand to shield his eyes, but it was useless. Harry didn't think that Fred and George's Peruvian instant darkness powder could have blocked out the light that emanated from Ginny's body. She stood before him in all her glory, glowing brighter than the midday sun. Her horn glistened in the radiance of her opalescent coat. She shook her head ever so slightly and her mane tumbled over her muscular shoulders. Her tail switched back and forth creating a soft scratching sound each time it hit the wall.

Harry had no idea what to do, so he did the first thing that came to his mind. He sent a message back to Hermione, Ron, Luna, and Neville to let them know that Ginny was okay. After sending the message, Harry tried to assess if Ginny was hurt. She appeared to be unharmed, but seemed to be stuck in her Unicorn body. Now that he had found her, Harry understood why he couldn't sense Ginny when he'd tried before. Ginny couldn't be found. He couldn't sense her because she wasn't there.

He approached the Unicorn, as if it were a wild animal and not his true love, keeping his breathing level and his pace slow. The Unicorn started to shimmer out when he got within a few paces of her body. Harry instantly backed up and started to murmur softly. He couldn't think of anything to say, nothing of importance anyway, nothing that would bring her back. So, he talked about random things. Harry felt removed from his body and his voice seemed as if it were coming from a Muggle radio. He heard himself talking about the reasons he loved Quidditch, which reminded him of the game of Quidditch they had played in the paddock. Talking about the game reminded Harry of Charlie and Bill. He wasn't sure that Ginny knew they were still alive. He found himself reliving the final moments of the battle as he told Ginny what had happened after she'd gone into her trance.

The Unicorn solidified but took a few cautious steps backward and lowered itself to the ground. Harry, intent on not frightening Ginny anymore than necessary, conjured an armchair and took a seat. Once seated Harry was at eye level with the Unicorn. Harry looked into the Unicorn's eyes and shuddered with fright. The eyes of the Unicorn were black; a deeper black than they had been in Knockturn Alley when Ginny had been in her trance. Harry, having no idea what to do to help Ginny, fell back on the best advice he had ever received.

Despite the misunderstandings and the failed plans, Dumbledore had never steered Harry wrong. Harry smiled as he realized that Dumbledore's advice was tailor made for this situation. It was almost as if Dumbledore had anticipated that this would happen, as if he had counted on it. The more Harry thought about it, the more he knew that Dumbledore had known that Harry would be put in this position.

“I love you, Ginny," Harry breathed. “I need you. Your family needs you. I don't think we can make it without you. I know that I can't make it without you.”

The Unicorn briefly shimmered in and out. Harry gasped as the Unicorn disappeared. He wanted to scream in frustration, but a fierce streak of defiance deep in his heart caused him to hold his head high and hope that she would return.

After the first hour, Harry allowed his head to rest on the palms of his hands and his elbows to rest on his knees. By the end of the second hour, Harry was starting to worry. At the end of the third hour, Harry decided that he had given Ginny enough time. He transformed, allowing himself to be completely taken over by his Phoenix form, before leaving the room to hunt for Ginny.

“She’s had bloody well long enough to deal with this, " he thought harshly as he disappeared. "She's not the only one who has to deal with the loss of someone she loves."

He reappeared when he found her. He tried not to allow his shock to overwhelm him. Instead of focusing on the forbidding marble that surrounded him, Harry concentrated on the crumpled body of his love. He transformed from his Phoenix form and stood as a wizard, his arms hanging uselessly at his side. Again he felt as if it were not himself, as if it were a scene out of a Muggle movie, as if it were not Ginny who lay crumpled on the floor of the Chamber of Secrets. At first, Harry did not know what to do. He had not thought to form a plan before leaving the Leaky Cauldron; he had only known that he had to find Ginny.

Now that he had arrived, he was still without a plan. Ron was Harry's first thought, but Ron wasn't there to help him. Ron was with Hermione, working hard to find a place for the Weasleys to stay, probably enjoying the situation as much as could be expected for such a dark time. "Hermione?" Harry suddenly remembered the day by the pool when Hermione had lost her nerve. "How did I manage to calm her then?"

He crossed the few feet separating them and scooped Ginny up in his arms. He cradled her head against his chest and stared deep into the black pools that her eyes had become. Harry was not sure how he did it. Later he would not be able to explain what had happened. He only knew that he had looked into Ginny's eyes and projected all the love he felt in his heart. As he had with Hermione, Harry showed Ginny images from his life. He showed her the first time he found true excitement and acceptance when Hagrid told him he was a wizard. He showed her when he found his first true friend, in Ron, before the sorting ceremony during their first year at Hogwarts. He showed her the first time he knew what it was like to trust someone completely; and Hermione appeared, her hair blowing in the wind and she slapped Malfoy across the face in defense of Hagrid.

One by one, every member of the Weasley family appeared, their faces bright and happy, as Harry remembered them. Harry showed her Dumbledore, then Sirius, then Professor Lupin, and Tonks, then Neville, and Luna. With each passing face, Harry felt his heart swell. And, though he knew it was hard, Harry showed Ginny how Percy gave his life to protect his family. And, though he knew she would never believe it, he showed her how Draco gave his life to protect Molly. He showed her Narcissa too and how she had been willing to give her life for her son and a love that she knew would survive after she was gone. Lastly, as he felt his heart would burst because hers was breaking, he showed her the grief that he had felt when he thought she was lost to him.

Harry knew that Ginny was reliving the events and that her heart was swelling with happiness and hope before breaking with sadness and heartache. It hurt Harry immensely to feel her emotions fly so high only to be dashed moments later. Her body began to shake, causing his to vibrate. Harry held Ginny as tightly as he could, fearing that if he held her any tighter he would crush her bones. Soon, they were both floating in the air, hovering above the chilly, damp floor of the Chamber of Secrets. Their bodies were insulated from the evil that the Chamber exuded. As they floated, Harry lost track of time. He knew nothing other than the beat of Ginny's heart against his chest and her warm breath on his neck. Nothing else in the world mattered, for she was his world.

At this revelation, Ginny began to stir. Her eyes closed and Harry felt hope course through his veins for the first time since arriving in the Chamber of Secrets. Ginny's eyes opened and Harry breathed a sigh of relief.

“Harry," Ginny whispered as her entire body shuttered.

"Ginny," Harry breathed, barely daring to hope that she had come back to him.

“It was a long journey," Ginny choked out, “I'm so glad you were there to lead me back."

“I'd thought I'd lost you," Harry said, his throat constricted with the raw emotion of having his beloved back in his arms.

“You’ll never lose me, Harry," Ginny wept, “as long as I have you to guide me back home.”

"I don't know what I would do without you," Harry stuttered, his voice finally breaking from the stress. "I don't think I could live without you."

"Then I guess it's a good thing you don't have to," Ginny quipped, her voice regaining some of its usual strength.

"It’s not a joke Ginny," Harry scolded.

"Harry," Ginny stressed. “I know it's not a joke. I would never make light of our love. I love you more than you could ever know. Just as I know you love me more than I can fathom. After all, it was your love that brought me back."

Harry and Ginny slowly returned to the floor their shoes clicking on the stone as they landed. Ginny threw her arms around Harry's neck and planted a hundred tiny kisses on his face.

"What do we do now?" Ginny wondered out loud.

"We find everyone else," Harry suggested.

Ginny looked at Harry aghast, "What do you mean ‘find them’?"

"Well..." Harry mumbled.

"Do you honestly mean to tell me that you don't know where they are? You lost my bloody family? You left them alone? What the name of Merlin were you thinking?" Ginny’s voice rose with each question.

"Ginny, I..." Harry stammered. “I had to find you. It's not like they can’t take care of themselves. I left, well, I think I left Ron in charge. Although, you know that means Hermione will be taking over."

"You left Ron in charge?" Ginny exploded.

"He’s quite capable," Harry argued lamely. He was at a loss. He had no idea why Ginny was so upset. "You need to give him more credit, Ginny."

"More credit?" Ginny sputtered. "You’ve got to be kidding me! In fact, I know you're kidding."

"What do you want me to do now?" Harry pleaded. "What’s done is done."

Ginny gave him a disgusted look and disappeared. Harry sighed loudly and followed her. They both arrived at the ruins of the Burrow. Neither of them could believe the utter destruction they found.

“What do we do now, oh great and powerful leader?" Ginny spat.

"Where would they go?" Harry mused.

"Well, that's helpful," Ginny muttered.

"Give me a moment, please," Harry begged.

Harry pressed his forefingers to his temple and rested his thumbs on either side of his chin. He closed his eyes and concentrated. He reached his mind out as far as he could go, but found nothing. It wasn't until Ginny reached out, resting her hands lightly on his elbows, that a vision began to form.

Harry began to giggle when the vision cleared and he saw what stood before him in his mind. Harry was taken back to his third year at Hogwarts. Before him, in all the detail and splendor that Harry remembered, stood Severus Snape. He was dressed to the nines in Neville's Gran's dress. The stuffed vulture bounced jauntily on the top of the hat covering Snape's greasy hair. While it wasn't the clearest sign, Harry got the message loud and clear. Harry was pulled out of his reverie when Ginny started to giggle. She removed her hands from his elbows as he lifted his eyes to meet hers.

"You know what this means, don't you," Harry snickered.

"Well, I imagine it could mean one of two things. The first being that all of our friends are currently wearing moldy dresses and keeping Professor Snape company in the afterlife. Or, it could mean that our family and friends are safe and currently residing with Neville's Gran. I say we go with the latter.” Ginny shook her head but could not hide her amusement.

"Over the river and through the woods to Neville's Gran's house we go," Harry joked.

They appeared in the living room and were surrounded by a very relieved group of witches and wizards. Molly gathered them into a tight hug before they could even check to see that everyone was present. When they were finally released from Molly's tight grasp, they both turned to make sure everyone was accounted for.

Once Harry and Ginny were both satisfied that everyone was safe, they turned to Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna to discuss the plans for the final battle. Hermione, who looked to Ron before speaking, suggested that they go somewhere where they could talk in private. Harry, Ginny, Ron, Neville, and Luna agreed, much to the dismay of Charlie and Cordi.

"Wait a minute," Charlie protested at the same time Cordi blurted, "Hold on there."

Molly, Arthur, Fred, George, and Bill all conceded that this was beyond the scope of their knowledge. Fred and George ushered their parents and eldest brother out of the living room. Charlie and Cordi continued to argue, trying to present convincing evidence in support of their continued inclusion. Harry shook his head sadly. He tried to reason with Charlie and Cordi, explaining to them that this was beyond their skills.

"I fear the task may be beyond mine. The best way you can help us is to stay here and make sure there is something for us to come home to," Harry urged them. "Why save the wizarding world if there is nothing to return to?"

Charlie looked as if he were prepared to continue to fight for his cause, but Cordi's gentle hand on his shoulder silenced him. "He's right, you know."

"That doesn't make it any easier to accept."

"I know, my love. Set that aside for now. Stand up, be the wizard I know you are, and do as he asks."

Charlie nodded, his head hanging in shame. "What will they say?" he asked, turning to Cordi, his eyes still downcast.

Cordi reached out tenderly and caressed his cheek. She slid her hand underneath his chin and lifted his face so that his eyes met hers. "They will say that the most evil wizard our world has ever known was defeated when the wizarding community banded together to stop him."

The six younger witches and wizards watched in amazement as Charlie's shoulder straightened and his eyes brightened. He clasped Cordi's hand in his own and pulled her from the room.

"Where do we go?" Ron asked.

"I think the best place for us right now is home," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I think you're right," Ron agreed. “But, our home was destroyed.”

“The Burrow was destroyed. As long as we have each other, anywhere will be home,” Hermione lectured.

"We all need rest before we undertake anything else," Harry insisted.

"I am tired," Neville admitted.

"I'm hungry!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Really Hermione, now is no time to worry about food," Ron chastised, smiling broadly. The smile was wiped from his face, however, when his stomach grumbled loudly.

"Not the time?" Hermione smirked. "Your stomach tells a different story."

"Are we all agreed?" Ginny asked loudly, interrupting Ron and Hermione's conversation.

"I think it's a splendid idea," Luna remarked.

"Let’s go," Harry decided.

Once again, Hermione and Ginny grabbed Luna's hand and disappeared. Ron and Harry grabbed Neville's hand and they disappeared. Working together, Hermione and Luna conjured everything they would need to spend the night at twelve Grimmauld Place. From what they could see, the house was undergoing major renovations, and many of the rooms were unavailable for occupation. Hermione and Luna had decided to set up camp in the sitting room where they had stayed once before.

"Is anyone else hungry?" Harry asked.

The resounding response was affirmative. Harry struck a quick bargain with Ginny. In the end, it was decided that the ladies would prepare the food, and the gentleman would clean up after their supper. Within minutes, there was a piping hot, very delicious looking supper sitting in the center of a large circular table. Everyone took a seat at the table and proceeded to dig in to the scrumptious meal Ginny, Hermione, and Luna had prepared. A comfortable, happy chatter filled the air as they filled their bellies and tried to think of anything but what lay ahead of them.

Harry and Ginny climbed into bed and pulled the covers up to their necks, despite the warmth of the summer evening. In the next bed, Ron and Hermione were doing the same thing. Only Neville and Luna were not tightly tucked into bed. Neville lay on the left-hand side of the bed, on top of the covers, while Luna sat on the opposite edge, across from him. The bed was tall enough that Luna's legs dangled over the edge, her feet not touching the floor. In the darkness, she could not see the fabric of the tent that enclosed their bed. She stared into the darkness, imagining that there were no tent walls to separate them from the others. She had an odd feeling. She couldn't put her finger on why, but she felt as though she needed to keep a close eye on her friends.

Neville rubbed her back while she sat there, swinging her legs, and trying to seek out the answers to her questions. She knew what had to be done, but she wanted to explore every avenue available to her before turning to the easy answer. Hours later, once Neville had fallen asleep, she resigned herself to the fact that she had no other option. She removed her shoes reluctantly and lay on the bed next to Neville. Although a chill ran through her body, she didn't cover herself with the comforter. She knew that in a short while her body would be on fire and the comforter would hamper her movements.

With every fiber of her being crying out to keep her eyes open, she closed them tightly and started counting backwards from 100. Her voice trailed off at seventy-eight, and her eyes relaxed and started to flutter rapidly. Within seconds, she was clammy and shaking. Soon the tent was filled with a haunting tune and the sheets were soaked with Luna's sweat.

As the moments passed by, the song grew louder. The melody changed, the tempo increased, and minutes later, the deep bass of the song had the entire tent quivering. Neville snorted loudly as the music woke him. He reached up and wiped the sleep from his eyes as he yawned. He shook his head to clear it as he searched for the source of the music. When his eyes fell upon Luna, his heart sank. He scrambled across the bed and tried to cradle her in his arms. Her body was stiff and it was all he could do to hold on to her. Her skin was hot to the touch and her hair was damp from the perspiration.

Neville thought back to the day when Luna had taken him to her family's home. She had told him that day about her gift and how it affected her. He knew the signs and she had prepared him well, but his knowledge and preparedness did not comfort him as Luna lay before him in this condition. He knew there was nothing he could do for her. He had to wait it out and allow her to follow the dream, wherever it would take her. She had told him that there was no chance of her being injured during her dreams, but the look on her face as she said this was such that he knew she was just trying to comfort him. He held her hand and ran his fingers through her hair and waited.

Luna was smack in the middle of a bloody battlefield. She watched in horror as fighting took place all around her. She could not interfere, for she was merely a spectator in this scene. The only problem was that while she could not change the course of the battle, it was entirely possible, if not probable that she would be injured by a stray spell. She hid herself behind a gravestone and watched the events as they unfolded, trying not to miss a single detail. She knew that when she awoke, every detail, no matter how trivial, could be the clue to the defeat of Voldemort.

As she watched, it seemed as though Harry had the upper hand. Even though Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Luna could not defeat Voldemort, they were keeping him busy by casting spells at him with faster than the eye could see. It seemed as though they were on the verge of victory. In an unfortunate turn of events, Voldemort dropped his shield and concentrated all of his power into one spell. He sent a curse, one that had never before been heard, straight at Ginny's heart. Luna watched in horror as the blue bolt struck her, passed through her ribcage, and exited her body. The curse hit the dirt of the graveyard and rebounded into the air. Instead of losing strength, it seemed to gain in power as it careened toward Harry. Although she couldn't bear to watch, Luna forced her eyes open and followed the path of the blue light. Ron, who was the only one to notice the curse as it flew through the air toward Harry, leapt in front of Harry taking the brunt of the spell. Unfortunately Ron’s body did not stop the spell. It pierced his heart and continued on its path. Harry only had an instant to react and it wasn't long enough to save his life.

With three of his opponents taken out by a single curse, Voldemort cackled and grinned wickedly. "Who did you think you were taking on? Did you really think that six pathetic, powerless kids could overpower me? I am Lord Voldemort. The most powerful wizard the world has known. I discovered the secrets to immortality."

Hermione, Neville, and the Luna that belonged in the dream were all huddled around the bodies of Ron, Harry, and Ginny. They had lost the will to go on. They huddled together, their eyes closed, as they waited for the inevitable.

Luna awoke from her dream just as it appeared that the second streak of blue light would decimate the remaining forces of good. Her screams ripped through the night air, causing Neville to hold her closer. Now that she was fully awake, her body had relaxed and he could gather her into his arms completely. He cradled her as if her life depended on it, for he felt as if it did. This episode seemed much more severe than those she had described to him before. He waited patiently for her to come out of her trance-like state and talk to him.

Little by little, Luna regained consciousness. Neville watched her intently, praying that she hadn’t been injured during her dream.

“I’m fine, my love,” Luna whispered hoarsely. “I need to analyze what I just saw. Leave me to my thoughts.”

Just then, Neville heard a quiet ‘tap’ at the tent flap. He disentangled himself from Luna, giving her a chance to be alone after her trying ordeal. He crossed the small space quickly and stepped through the flap, closing it tightly behind him.

“Yes,” he said, speaking quietly so as not to disturb Luna. In the darkness, Neville could not see who had tapped at the tent flap. “Who is there?”

“It’s us, Neville, Hermione and Ginny.” Their soft voices came out of the dark. Suddenly there was a murmured incantation and the end of Hermione’s wand lit up the darkness.

Neville could see the concern etched into their faces. “Why are you here?” Neville asked as quietly as possible.

“Ron and Harry sent us,” Hermione explained, with a hint of annoyance in her voice. “They wanted us to check on Luna. They didn’t think it was…appropriate to come themselves.” She looked as if she were ready to smack Ron for his thick headedness.


“She’s fine,” Neville replied shortly, ignoring Hermione’s irritability. “You can’t go in there.”

“Of course,” Ginny assured him. “We weren’t going to. We just wanted you to know that you have our complete support. If you need anything, please let us know.”

Hermione nodded vigorously and she and Ginny went back to their tents. Neville stuck his head in the flap and asked Luna if she was ready for him to return.

“I’m ready for you,” Luna replied.

“Ready for me to do what?” Neville asked worriedly.

“Listen to everything I say. Don’t ask questions until I’m done. There is something I am missing here, and I need a fresh pair of eyes, so to speak, to help me find the key to our salvation.”

“Well,” Neville said, a bit stunned by the directness of her statement. “When you put it that way, how can I refuse?”

He joined her on the bed and listened intently as she effortlessly described every detail of her dream. She spoke with a practiced voice, and Neville was sure that she had honed this skill over many years and hundreds of dreams. Neville looked as if he were going to ask questions a few times, but wisely kept his mouth shut as Luna barreled through her description. As he listened to the chain of events, he grew frightened. When he heard of the power that Voldemort possessed, his heart grew heavy. And, when Luna had finished, he was no longer sure that Harry would be able to defeat him, even with his friends by his side.

Neville shook his head, and tuned back in just in time to hear Luna finishing her sentence.

“So, I think that I am missing something between those two times.”

“I’m sorry,” Neville apologized. “What times?”

Luna gave him a sympathetic glance. “I know it’s hard. What you and I figure out right now might very well prevent this dream from becoming reality. We need to push past the horror of the dream and find the spot where our paths can be altered.”

“I don’t understand,” Neville admitted. “What do you mean?”

“Bear with me,” Luna sighed. “I forget that everyone has not had the fortune of having my education on the subject. Everyone has a destiny. You, me, Harry, everyone. We must fulfill our destinies. Contrary to popular belief, your destiny does not affect the outcome of your life, only the destination.”

Luna smiled as she realized that Neville couldn’t possibly look more confused. “Would an example help?”

“Yes,” Neville breathed. “I think it might.”

“Let’s take Harry,” Luna said smiling. “Since we both happen to know that his destiny is to defeat Voldemort.”

“Okay.”

“Tell me if I lose you.”

“Okay.”

“Harry will defeat Voldemort because it is his destiny. How he gets there is entirely up to him. There are, gaps, pauses in his life, where he has the opportunity to take a different path than the current one.” She looked at Neville, trying to ascertain if he was still following her example.

“I’m with you so far.”

“We are faced with a situation where Harry will die before defeating Voldemort…”

“How can he defeat him if he is already dead?”

“The important question is, how was Voldemort defeated after Harry fell? Harry cannot die without defeating Voldemort, or he wouldn’t fulfill his destiny. We know that means that even though Harry died, Voldemort was defeated.”

“Okay,” Neville said, looking as if the explanation was as far from okay as it could be.

“There is a gap in my dream, however small, that we must find. This gap will allow us to change, however subtly, the course of the events. By changing a detail, no matter how insignificant it appears at the time, we might be able to affect the future. In the process we might be able to save Harry and the others.”

“So, you’re saying that what you saw might not come to pass?”

“Exactly. We just need to find the exact time and act that allowed that future to occur.”

“How will we know?”

“Something won’t fit properly. We need to scour each moment for a detail that just seems out of place. And, we only have a few hours left before the beginning of the end.”

“So, no pressure,” Neville tried to joke.

“None at all,” Luna replied, smiling serenely.

“Where do you think the break is?” Neville asked.

“I think the oddity is somewhere before we leave Grimmauld Place. An event that we overlooked in that future because it seemed insignificant. Something we did without regard for the consequences. Something we all thought was acceptable at the time.”

“Start at the beginning,” Neville directed. “That’s the best place to start.”

Luna and Neville sat on the bed motionless as Luna began to recount the dream. She had been speaking nonstop for a good forty minutes when Neville put a hand up to stop her.

“Wait,” he commanded. “Go back.”

“To which part?” Luna asked excitedly.

“Something doesn’t seem right about how we got rid of…What if we didn’t?

“We hadn’t seen her for…what if she was there when…it all fits.”

Neville began to rush his words in an attempt to get his entire explanation out before he forgot any of it. “She must have been there when we fought before. We thought we took care of her, but we didn’t. She didn’t die…instead; she went straight to her Master and exposed our weakness.”

“I think you’re right,” Luna stated proudly. “The only problem is, now that we know, how do we change it?”

“Don’t kill her. By trying to kill her and failing, we exposed our weakness to the enemy and he used it against us successfully.”

“What do you propose we do?” Luna asked.

“Let her go,” Neville decided. “Let her go back to her Master and be punished for having no useful information.”

“How do you plan on getting Harry to understand your decision?” Luna questioned.

“It’s simple. I will just explain about your…”

“You can’t,” Luna interrupted. “It can and will derail the entire future, possibly putting us into an even worse alternative scenario.”

“Who makes these confounded rules?” Neville boomed, cursing the idiotic rules.

“I’ve no idea,” Luna responded saucily. “I’ll have to ask the next time I have a chat with the higher powers.”

“I see the difficulty now,” Neville declared. He wondered how she could have possibly lived with such an enormous responsibility at such a young age. What five-year-old witch can understand the consequences of telling people about their future?

“Any ideas?” Luna queried, watching Neville closely.

“I sure don’t want to be the one to tell Harry he can’t kill her.” Neville shuddered at the thought of Harry’s temper.

“Maybe we won’t have to,” Luna responded mysteriously. “Let’s sleep on it. Maybe it will come to us in our dreams.” She giggled at her joke before snuggling up with Neville in one arm and her pillow in the other.

Neville stared in amazement as Luna promptly fell asleep. He smiled at the sudden warmth from her body and felt himself drifting off to sleep.


Chapter Twenty-Three: The End is in Sight


Back to index


Chapter 23: Chapter Twenty-Three: The End is in Sight

Author's Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.


When the light broke over the horizon, Luna was already awake. She was sitting on the floor outside of Hermione and Ron’s tent, trying not to eavesdrop on the activities taking place inside. She coughed discretely, trying to catch Hermione’s attention without embarrassing either of them.

There was a loud noise and Luna could picture the scuffle that ensued. In her mind, she imagined Hermione struggling to get of bed, her legs trapped by the sheets. Ron was probably scrambling to pull on clothes, hopping around on one leg in his hurry. She smiled as she thought of the frantic actions. She had to laugh, quietly so they wouldn’t know, when she heard a crash followed by a muttered curse.

After a short time, Hermione’s face appeared at the tent flap. “Oh, Luna,” Hermione breathed, relief evident in her tone. “Merlin, I thought it was Harry.”

“Nope,” Luna chuckled. “It’s just me.”

“Not to be rude,” Hermione said snappishly, “but why are you here?”

“I didn’t want to interrupt anything,” Luna said apologetically. “I need your help.”

“Couldn’t it have waited until the others were awake?” Hermione asked peevishly. “We were…busy.”

“I know,” Luna acknowledged, “and for that, I’m sorry.”

Luna took Hermione by the hand and pulled her from the tent. They crossed the sitting room and did not stop at the doorway. Hermione struggled to keep up as Luna pulled her up the staircase. Hermione thought about asking Luna to go slower because her legs were sore, but she didn’t want to explain why they were sore, so she kept her mouth shut. Hermione was grateful when Luna finally stopped on the third level.

“Finally,” Hermione grumbled.

“I didn’t want to take the chance that anyone would hear us,” Luna explained. “I’m sorry about your legs.”

Hermione blushed furiously, stared at her feet, and said nothing.

“We don’t have much time,” Luna insisted. “Will you help me?”

“Of course,” Hermione replied, her cheeks still hot.

“I need to share something with you,” Luna told her quietly. “What you see cannot be shared with anyone else. You can only use the information to help you in your quest.”

“I don’t understand,” Hermione protested. “If I can’t tell anyone, what use is it?”

“You will understand soon,” Luna promised.

“If you say so,” Hermione muttered.

“Take my hands,” Luna instructed.

Hermione grudgingly took Luna’s hands. She was distinctly uncomfortable that she was not the one with all the answers. The sole reason she had placed her palms against Luna’s was that she trusted her implicitly.

Just as Hermione was opening her mouth to question Luna’s sanity, her world went blank.

Hermione shook her head. She blinked her eyes rapidly before rubbing them roughly. Luna was nowhere to be found. She had no idea where she was, but she knew she wasn’t in Grimmauld Place anymore. The only evidence that she wasn’t dead was a strange tingling in the palms of her hands.

She was in a dark, dank cell. She tried to light her wand to view her surroundings, but panicked when she realized her wand was gone. Suddenly, several overhead lights came on surprising Hermione.

Her first instinct saved her life. She dropped to the ground and pressed against the bars of the cell. It took her eyes several long seconds to adjust to the light before she saw that she was not alone in the caged area. There were two other people, wizards, huddled together in the opposite corner. She recognized one of the wizards as Kingsley Shacklebolt. There was something oddly familiar about the other wizard, she knew he was a member of the Order, but she couldn’t recall if she had ever heard his name.

“Where am I?” she wondered. “How did I get here?”

The rest of her questions were cut short by the arrival of a cloaked figure.

“Come with me,” he commanded. “Get up you filthy vermin.”

His foot lashed out at Kingsley’s face. With lightening fast reflexes, Kingsley caught his foot and wrenched it to the left. The cloaked figure cried out in anguish as the bones in his ankle snapped. In a flash, his wand was out and Kingsley was stunned. After a glare, the other wizard left the cell meekly. Hermione watched as the cloaked figure levitated Kingsley’s body, floating it out of the cell, muttering about idiotic notions of honor as he left.

Hermione, not wanting to be left alone in the horrid stench of the cell and intent on saving Kingsley and the other wizard’s life, rose to her feet and followed the cloaked figure. She followed the figure down a long hallway, barely daring to breathe for fear of alerting him to her presence. At the end of the hallway, he started up an impossibly long staircase.

“More stairs?” Hermione whined to herself, the muscles in her legs screaming in protest.

She started up the first flight of stairs. By the time she reached the top, her legs were on fire and the cloaked figure was long gone. She sunk down onto the second step from the top, giving her legs a chance to rest, as she contemplated her next move. She was debating whether to go to the right or the left when a scream rent the silence.

She jumped to her feet and raced down the right hallway. She was trying to move quietly, but the continued screams urged her to sacrifice silence for speed. As she raced down the hallway, her brain processed her surroundings. There were no doors on either side of the hallway, only a door at the very end. Although she thought it was odd, she didn’t take the time to worry about it. She was concentrating on how to save the two captives, if they were still alive to save.

Just as she reached the doorway, the screams ended abruptly. Hermione froze, her hand on the door, as she had been about to push it open. She heard a voice speaking in a strange language and the blood drained from her face. Her heart was cold with fear as she realized that the only other time she had heard this particular language was when Harry spoke it in their third year at Hogwarts. She vividly recalled brewing the Polyjuice Potion in the girl’s bathroom. The tap that Harry had opened by speaking Parsletounge had been the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets. Parsletongue, the same language that was being spoken on the other side of the thin door.

Hermione shuddered as she realized that Harry was one of two wizards this century that were known for having the ability to speak Parsletongue. Hermione had hoped, no, really believed, that she would never have to face the other alone. She knew that she had no chance against the Dark Lord without Harry, Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Luna, but she couldn’t leave the captives alone to die.

Bravely, feeling very foolish, Hermione pushed the door open a crack. She saw Kingsley, conscious, kneeling on the floor before Voldemort. The other wizard was crumpled in a heap beside him, slowly vanishing into thin air.

Hermione couldn’t believe her eyes. She had read about the effects of this spell before. The spell had been in a large book she had checked out of the Restricted Section. It had been for an assignment, but it did not have the information she needed. Once she had found the proper book and completed her assignment, her attention had wandered back to the ancient book. She had read it cover to cover, learning more about Dark Magic than she had ever cared to know.

“Corripio Imperium,” Hermione thought. “According to the book, that spell has the same effect as drinking Unicorn’s blood. I wonder if it is his Horcruxes that are protecting him or the rebirthing ceremony?”

By the time Hermione had looked back to the grisly scene, the body of the other wizard was gone. Not a single trace of his existence remained.

Hermione let out a small sob of regret. She glanced around wildly for a place to hide when Voldemort, who had surely heard, arrived to investigate the noise.

Voldemort began to speak to Kingsley, and Hermione let out a deep breath as quietly as possible. She wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice.

“Mr. Shacklebolt,” Voldemort sneered. “You were caught trying to intercept a package of mine. You attempted to capture my transporter and relieve him of his cargo. For this you shall be condemned. Do you have any last words?”

Kingsley looked up, seemingly staring directly into Hermione’s eyes and said, “Harry Potter, the boy who lived, will be your downfall.”

Voldemort screeched in rage. “Harry Potter trembles before me. My name is feared throughout. I am the most powerful wizard the world has ever known.”

“Your name may be feared,” Kingsley retorted, “but soon everyone will know you as the pathetic orphan that you are, Tom.”

“How did you know my name?” Voldemort raged.

“Dumbledore told Harry,” Kingsley explained simply. “Soon, everyone will know.”

“Enough,” Voldemort bellowed. “Corripio Imperium.”

Kingsley’s shrieks filled the room, his eyes locked on Hermione’s as he began to fade away.

“No,” Hermione cried.

She turned away, preparing to run for her life, when her world went blank. For the second time, she shook her head to clear her thoughts and rubbed her eyes. Her palms were still resting on top of Luna’s, and she was sitting with her legs crossed on the wooden floor of the third level of Grimmauld Place.

“Was it all a dream?” Hermione whispered.

“No,” Luna replied sadly. “Kingsley has been dead for some time. The Order has been looking for him, to no avail.”

“And the other wizard?” Hermione asked fearfully.

“He was a distant cousin of Professor McGonagall,” Luna told Hermione. “He had been missing for quite some time. Years, I believe.”

“Why?” Hermione questioned.

“I can only assume that they were both powerful wizards. They must have been easy targets, or Voldemort wouldn’t have gone after them while he sent his legions to attack us.”

“How does this help us?” Hermione asked, trying to make a connection.

“I can’t say,” Luna said gently. “That is why I asked for your help.”

“Oh,” Hermione groaned.

“It has something to do with the prophecy, I think,” Luna reflected.

“What do we know?” Hermione muttered to herself.

“Harry has to defeat Voldemort,” Luna answered, even though she knew that Hermione has not been talking to her.

“With Voldemort stealing power right and left,” Hermione sighed. “Harry won’t have enough power to defeat him.”

“Phenomenal power resides within the grasp of The One,” Luna quoted from the prophecy.

“Yes,” Hermione said thoughtfully. “How does that help Harry?”

Luna didn’t respond. She knew that Hermione had to come to terms with the information in her own time. She didn’t want to risk changing the course of the future and destroy their chances of stopping Voldemort.

Hermione’s eyes lit up. “Neville can get the power, but he still has to give it to Harry. He could…but then…that would mean…”

Luna listened as Hermione became more and more excited. Hermione launched herself off of the floor and made a mad dash to the door.

“Don’t tell him of the vision,” Luna cautioned as Hermione disappeared from sight.

Luna sat on the floor, her legs crossed and her eyes closed, as she listened to Hermione thunder down the stairs. “Poor Neville, I do hope that Hermione gives him a chance to wake up before she starts explaining everything,” Luna chuckled to herself.

Hermione, who had thrown the tent flap open in her eagerness, was mortified when she realized that Neville was not only awake, but in the process of getting dressed. With her cheeks flushing deeper than the Gryffindor colors, she backed out of the tent mumbling an apology.

Neville, who had been standing in the middle of the tent, naked except for his knickers, was pondering where Luna had run off to while changing his clothes when Hermione burst in. He yanked the sheet off the bed, too late to keep Hermione from seeing everything, and blushed everywhere. He didn’t know what to say, so he settled for listening to Hermione’s babbling as she backed out of the tent. As soon as the flap swung closed, he pulled his trousers on at lightening speed and yanked his shirt over his head. He scrambled around, looking for his sock and shoes. By the time he had found them and put them on, he was chuckling at the situation.

When he left the tent, he found Hermione sitting on an overstuffed sofa she had conjured, her head buried in her hands. As he approached her, he cleared his throat softly to get her attention. The minute she looked up, she began to apologize repeatedly. It sounded as if she had rehearsed the speech the entire time he had been getting dressed.

“Hermione,” Neville began gently, still chuckling to himself. “Hermione, you couldn’t have known. You could have knocked, but that’s rather hard to do on a tent flap.” He paused, watching Hermione carefully. He cut her off as she started to respond. “There’s no harm done, Hermione. Just don’t tell Luna you saw me in my knickers. Since I don’t need him trying to hex me anymore than you need Luna after you, I won’t tell Ron either.” He smiled at her broadly, with only the barest trace of embarrassment in his eyes, as he finished his sentence, trying to ease her discomfort.

Hermione stared up at Neville in astonishment. He was being so cavalier about the whole situation. She wasn’t sure how she would react if the situation were reversed. “Thank you,” she replied so softly she could barely hear her owns words. “Won’t you sit?”

“You are welcome. Thank you. Now, did you need to talk with me?” Neville asked, his eyes still filled with good humor as he took the seat next to her.

Hermione did not want to spoil his mood, or cloud his eyes with worry. She had seen too many people’s eyes clouded with worry and fear lately. She had no choice, so she plunged forward in an attempt to be brave.

“How well do you remember the prophecy?” she asked determinedly.

“Which one?” Neville asked seriously.

“The one that talks of your power,” Hermione fumbled, trying to think of a way to phrase her answers to Neville’s inevitable questions. Suddenly, she realized what Luna had been trying to tell her about revealing the vision. “Damn.”

“Oh, that one. What about it?” Neville questioned gingerly.

“After much careful consideration…”

“It must be bad if you, of all people, are stalling. Hermione, please, just tell me. It doesn’t matter how bad it is. After last night, I can cope with pretty much anything.”

“You are The One. The One with the power. I was thinking…”

“With Luna?” Neville asked innocently.

“If you must know, yes. Luna and I were talking, which got me to thinking,” Hermione amended. “You must be the key to Harry defeating Voldemort.”

“How do you figure?” Neville asked curiously. “I haven’t got any extraordinary powers.”

“I don’t think it is your power that the Prophecy was referring to. I think the Prophecy references your ability to harness great power.”

“Harness power?” Neville repeated. “You mean that you think I will need to steal someone’s powers?”

“Quite the opposite, in fact,” Hermione stated bluntly. “Voldemort uses an ancient magic. The magic is so dark, and so old, that I have only ever seen it referenced in one book. A book which was recently destroyed by one of his followers. I didn’t think anything of it when I read the article in the Daily Prophet, but now I think it is valuable information. You see, when I checked the book out of the library, I was the first one since Tom Riddle to do so. By destroying that book, Tom figured that he had destroyed any chance to defeat him, but he did not count on my meticulous note taking ability.” Hermione paused, giving Neville a chance to ask any questions he might have and to prepare herself to tell him the worst part.

“Voldemort is stealing other wizard’s powers,” Neville mused sadly. “That is how he plans to defeat Harry. How can I stop him?”

“I don’t want you to stop him from using the spell,” Hermione explained. “I want you to use the sister spell. The spell that Tom is currently using to steal power was written in counterpart with another spell, designed to give it.”

“Where will I get the power from? You said that you don’t think it’s my power we need…” Neville trailed off, comprehension dawning on his face. “Do you think it’s really possible?” he whispered.

“Yes,” Hermione replied, her voice strong and sure.

“We don’t have much time, though, before everyone wakes up,” Neville muttered worriedly.

“So,” Hermione stressed. “We’re going to need everyone for this…”

Hermione’s face paled. She looked at Neville and drew in a deep breath before standing up quickly. She had been sitting for quite a while and her head felt light. She stumbled as she took her first step and would have crashed to the floor had Neville not caught her deftly.

Hermione shook her head several times, trying to shake the fuzzy feeling out of her brain. “You too?” she asked.

“Yes,” Neville responded miserably.

No more words passed between them regarding their shared fate. Hermione scrambled to her feet, making a quick decision. “You go first. We can teach them the spell after…”

“Deal,” Neville agreed. “Where is Luna?”

“She’s on the third floor, in the Master Suite,” Hermione told him. With a plan in place, she seemed happier and more certain.

Neville bounded up the stairs, taking them two at a time. Hermione retreated to the tent she shared with Ron, crawling into bed just in time to ‘wake up’ with Ron.

Ginny felt the fuzziness of sleep leave her brain as she contemplated what Hermione and Neville had just been discussing. Making a hasty decision, she decided not to tell Harry the meaning of the Prophecy yet. She wasn’t sure why not, but she knew that she wanted to keep it a secret for now. She returned to the tent, conjured a chair, and sat next to the bed watching Harry sleep contentedly.

After a few minutes, Harry opened his eyes and nearly gave Ginny a heart attack by asking if she was hungry. She had been so busy watching his chest rise and fall, she had not noticed he was awake.

“All right?” Harry asked once Ginny had stopped hyperventilating.

“Yes,” she said slowly. “You?”

“I would be better if you were still in bed with me,” he replied saucily. “We still haven’t had a chance to use that chocolate of yours.”

“You cad,” she teased before crawling back into their shared bed.

Once she was under the covers, however, Ginny couldn’t help but remember what she had overheard. Harry pulled her close and held her tightly.

“Your mind is wandering,” Harry commented. “Is there something you want to talk about?”

“It’s today. Isn’t it?” Ginny asked bravely.

“Yes,” Harry admitted.

“What if you aren’t strong enough?” Ginny wailed quietly.


“I am,” Harry replied seriously. “You make me strong. Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, Mum, Dad, Charlie, Percy, Bill, Fred, George…you all make me strong. I feel like I could take on two of Voldemort and live to tell the tale.”

“But,” Ginny insisted, feeling a chill take over her body..

“If I know Hermione,” Harry began, “she’ll have come up with something already.”

“But,” Ginny insisted more forcefully, now feeling as if she would never be warm again.

“But what if their plan fails? It won’t. I have faith. Faith in my friends. Faith in the inherent goodness of wizard kind. Most of all, I have faith in love.” As he spoke the last word, he kissed Ginny fiercely. She responded by pressing herself against him, trying to feel his warmth surround her body. Soon, she was enveloped in a cocoon of warmth and security. She began to cry, and felt Harry’s tears mix with her own and travel down her cheeks.

There was a rustling outside of their tent, and Ginny and Harry had to concede that it was time to face the day. They changed clothes quickly and prepared for the day that could be the end of them all.

The six met outside the tents, cheerful and full of hope, despite the seriousness of the day. Every one of them wondered if this was the day they had been preparing for, the day that Harry would face Voldemort, the day Voldemort would fall. Well, that was the plan. Other than that, they had no specified plan of attack, just a loose idea of what they would have to do to survive.

Harry was unnerved when he saw Luna, fidgeting nervously at Neville’s side. Neville himself was tapping his foot impatiently.

“What gives, you two?” he inquired with hesitation in his voice.

“Nothing,” Neville replied too quickly.

Harry shook his head. A nauseous feeling was growing in the pit of his stomach. He grabbed Ginny’s hand and held it tightly, trying to lessen the feeling of anxious dread. Every time Neville’s foot hit the floor and Luna’s fingers tapped against her arm, the feeling increased two fold. It felt like they were waiting for something to happen. He glanced around the room, looking first at Ron, who appeared oblivious as usual. Next was Hermione, who was standing stiffly, but seemed to be no more nervous than usual. Suddenly, as he scanned the room, Harry’s worst suspicions were confirmed as he saw the tail end of his worst enemy’s pet slithering past the doorway. He drew his wand with his free hand and aimed for the murderous snake.

Harry may have been the first to see Nagini, but Neville was the first to react to the look on Harry’s face and his actions. “No,” Neville cried.

Neville ran for the door, putting himself between Harry and Nagini just in time to prevent Harry from attacking the snake. Harry yanked his hand out of Ginny’s and stomped across the room, deliberately giving himself time to think before he reached Neville. “Surely he must have a good reason for this.”

Neville felt his insides tremble as Harry approached, looking angrier than Neville had ever seen him. Neville met Harry eye to eye, not giving an inch, allowing the snake to escape unharmed.

“Why?” Harry asked in a deadly voice, willing himself to listen to the logic behind Neville’s choice.

“It was necessary,” Neville explained simply. “It had to be done.”

Luna, who was standing a few feet away chewing on the inside of her cheek with worry, decided that Neville shouldn’t have to withstand the worst of Harry’s anger by himself. She jumped in, “Nagini is, was the key to your downfall.”

Harry was fairly sure that he felt his heart stop. His eyes rolled back into his head and, with a loud crash, he hit the floor.

“Harry,” Ginny screamed, rushing to his side. “What did the two of you do to him?”

Harry groaned loudly and tried to move. Ginny helped him into a sitting position. “What happened?” he asked dazedly.

“You fainted, Mate,” Ron said helpfully.

“Ah,” Harry acknowledged. “So that’s why my head feels like a Hippogriff stepped on it.”

“You hit your head when you fell,” Ginny said accusingly, glaring at Neville and Luna.

“Ginny,” Harry reassured her, “I’m fine...”

Ginny smiled faintly before pulling Harry into a fierce hug preventing him from finishing his thought. A light surrounded them, glowing intensely for a few moments before fading into darkness. As the last spark of light was extinguished, the room took on a mysterious tone and sinister shadows danced on the walls.

A wave of pain crashed over Harry’s body and he felt his scar erupt in pain. His body began to shake violently, knocking Ginny to the ground several feet away. Suddenly, he went still, his eyes vacant and his mouth hanging open grotesquely.

“Tell me what you see,” he commanded in a deep, unnatural voice. “Tell me what you know.”

“Harry,” Hermione screamed.

“Fight it, Mate,” Ron hollered.

“What can we do?” Ginny wailed, disturbed by Harry’s sudden change.

“There’s no use turning back, it’s already much too late,” Harry continued in the same unnaturally deep voice.

As if nothing had happened, Harry blinked his eyes and finished what he had been saying. “I’m fine. We should start to…” Harry stopped abruptly when he saw the tears streaming down Ginny’s face. He glanced to Ron and Hermione and seeing their horrified looks, he turned to Neville and Luna to verify that he was indeed missing something important.

“You were possessed,” Neville told him quietly. “I think.”

“I think so too,” Luna agreed glumly.

“What did I say?” Harry asked, the worry etched deep in his green eyes.

“You basically told us that it was time to go meet our fate,” Ron explained bluntly.

Harry looked to Hermione, but she couldn’t meet his eyes. “It’s true,” she mumbled, still not meeting his eyes.

“So, I say we should get a move on,” Ron continued, ignoring Hermione’s verification.

“I have to agree,” Neville added nervously.

“Where are we going?” Harry asked, knowing the answer without having to ask.

Harry wasn’t surprised when they all answered in unison. “Godric's Hollow.”

“Are we ready?” Hermione asked nervously, with a specific glance at Neville.

There was a resounding ‘yes’, and Hermione felt a boost of confidence.

“How are we getting there?” she fretted.

“We should transform,” Harry said suddenly as the idea struck him. “It might give us an advantage.”

“I agree.” Luna warned Neville not to say anything with a sharp look.

“Me too,” Neville chimed in, uncomfortably aware of what was about to happen.

One by one they transformed and left for Godric’s Hollow, some were flying, others running. Harry waited until they had all started away before transforming and disappearing. Ginny, who was the only one on foot, so to speak, turned around just in time to see Harry disappear.

“Oh no you don’t,” she spat and disappeared.

She arrived in the cemetery just as the streak of green light left Voldemort’s wand. She watched, frozen in fear, as Harry’s Phoenix form absorbed the curse and burst into flames.

Ginny let out a low keening wail before disappearing and reappearing in front of the pile of ashes. She dropped to her knees, threw up a shield spell to protect herself from Voldemort, and began to rock back and forth over the pile of ashes. Her body began to glow vibrantly again, lighting even the darkest corners of the cemetery.

Hermione, Ron, Luna, and Neville all arrived at the cemetery in time to see Ginny’s glow falter when a spell hit her shield, disintegrating it on impact.

“Where did he get those powers?” Ron shouted.

“He stole them,” Hermione shouted back. “He’s been stealing other wizard’s powers and harnessing them as his own. He’s a hundred times stronger than he was before.”

“Oh.” Ron couldn’t come up with anything else to say. What he really wanted to say was neither appropriate, nor helpful, so he kept it to himself. What he felt like doing was unleashing the mightiest scream he could conjure from the top of the highest tower at Hogwarts, so that it would echo through the world, alerting everyone to their battle.


“Ron,” Hermione shouted again. “I need to you to keep Voldemort busy for a few minutes.”

“What?”

“Just do it,” she bellowed, leaving no room for argument.

“Great,” he mumbled sarcastically, knowing that no one could hear him. “Just keep the most powerful wizard, who is, coincidentally, a million times stronger than you are, busy for a few minutes. Easy.”

Hermione, Luna, and Neville joined Ginny, while Ron exchanged spells with Voldemort. Hermione took a second to admire his skills, garnered from his Quidditch practices, which he used to successfully evade the curses that Voldemort was firing at him. Chunks of dirt and headstone marble were flying everywhere and debris filled the air making it hard to see more than a few feet in front of their noses.

Hermione, Neville, Luna, and Ginny all joined hands in a circle around the baby Phoenix that now rested between Ginny’s feet. Slowly, the light began to build and Harry’s Phoenix form began to age. By the time Harry’s Phoenix form was fully-grown, the light had grown so bright that it would have blinded any Muggle who looked upon it.

Just as Harry began to transform back into his human shape, Voldemort appeared just outside their protective circle. Ginny saw him first and moved to block Harry from Voldemort’s sight completely. Luna, who had just seen Ron’s body crumpled on the ground a few feet away, noticed Ginny’s subtle shift to the right.

“No,” she screamed. Luna stepped over Harry’s body and in front of Ginny just in time to throw up a shield and deflect the crushing curse that Voldemort had sent. “Get into place,” she commanded, sounding less like Luna and more like Hermione. Her voice came out weakly, for she had absorbed the brunt of the spell, her shield only blocking out the fatal part of the curse.

Neville and Luna both kept Voldemort busy while Ginny protected Harry and Hermione brought Ron in to the protection of their circle.

“Accio Ron,” Hermione demanded, her voice wavering with concern for Ron.

Ron’s unconscious body fell into his place in the circle, he began to stir and quickly stood to take his place properly. Luna moved back into her own position quickly and Neville began to chant. At first, the others could not make out the words that Neville was chanting under his breath. As his confidence grew, so did his voice. Once they could make out what he was saying, they joined in the chant.

“Cessi Imperium.”

Neville felt his chest ache, as if a piece of his heart was being ripped out. “Cessi Imperium.” He knew that his face was registering pain, the most extreme pain that he could imagine. “This is what it feels like to have part of you ripped out.” Neville continued to chant, the pain increasing with each repetition. “Cessi Imperium.” Trying to take his mind off the pain, he looked around the circle at the faces of those he loved. “Cessi Imperium.” He could see the same agony reflected in their eyes, their faces were contorted with anguish.

Voldemort, rather than looking worried, seemed pleased at this unanticipated turn of events. He stood by gleefully watching them suffer. Nagini, who had arrived shortly after Harry, slithered across the graveyard. She wound herself around Voldemort’s legs and slithered up his body. Voldemort stroked her head contentedly, watching the events unfold before him. He seemed to relish in their misery.

Despite the pain, everyone managed to continue to chant. Unexpectedly, the pain lessened, then eventually stopped. Neville, who had never performed such a complicated spell in his entire life, somehow knew that it was time to transfer their power to Harry.

He dropped Ginny and Luna’s hands and pointed his arms at Harry’s crumpled form. Harry straightened up, and began to hover. Slowly his body moved up until he was above the heads in the circle. His feet dangling in midair, Harry felt a horrible pain as his chest inflated rapidly.

“Is this what ill gotten power feels like?” Harry wondered. “How could he have stood this pain so many times?”

Harry felt as if he would explode from the pain in his heart. While the pain did not stop, it subsided, flooding out of his heart through his veins, coursing along with his blood to his extremities. Astonishingly, Harry knew what he had to do.

“I have to take back all of the hurt he’s caused. I have to undo everything that he’s done.” Harry was babbling, but he knew that it didn’t matter. “Lend me your faith,” he cried to his family, “cause mine is broken.” Feeling a surge of hope from them, Harry looked Voldemort in the eyes, thinking only of the love he felt for the people who stood below him. They had seen him through everything, now they would see him through the end.

Voldemort did not recognize the look in Harry’s eyes. There was no fear. No hatred. There was only a spark of something that Voldemort’s eyes had never held. Too late, he recognized the emotion as love. Simple, unassuming, and pure. Love. Voldemort ceased to exist in that moment. Tom Riddle, who had long hidden himself from the world, closed his eyes in preparation for what he knew was coming.

“Arvadek Adava.”

Tom let loose a long, hideous, hiss filled scream. The voices of his victims could be heard echoing throughout the graveyard. His eyes bulged, a trickle of blood ran from the corner of his mouth and he grasped at his heart. The voices of his victims grew louder, drowning out his bloodcurdling screams. Without warning, his body exploded.

The resulting shock wave knocked Neville, Luna, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione to the ground. Harry, who had still been hovering midair, remained in place. He felt relief flood through his body and acknowledged that he had done it, with the help of his family, of course. The instant he realized he no longer had need for their powers, he felt them being ripped from his body. He blacked out from the pain. The last thing he heard before he went under was the soft voice of his mother, telling him that he had done well.


A big shout out to Bad Religion for helping me through when I was blocked and thought I would never get past it. Several of Harry’s quotes during and after he is possessed come from their songs.

Chapter Twenty-Four: Survival

Back to index


Chapter 24: Chapter Twenty-Four: Survival

Author's Notes: Okay Folks. As usual, I am just playing in J.K.'s playground with characters she created. We all know them and love them, but sadly, they aren't mine. And, I am incredibly sad to say that this is it. As all good (and bad) things are wont to do, we are at the end. Thank you so much for following along. This is my first chaptered fan fic and it's been a wild ride!


Meanwhile, on the other side of the veil, a boisterous crowd had gathered.

“Dear,” a familiarly insistent, yet playful voice called across the elegant room.

Every man in the room, whether he had been married or not in his lifetime, turned to glance at the attractive redhead settled on the overlarge sofa.

A man wearing glasses with a thin black frame, who was deep in conversation with a man who appeared to be easily twice his age, spoke up. “Of course I understand, it’s just that- I’ll be right there, Lily dear- was it all necessary?” The man had barely paused between his two conversations, smiling at the older man as he addressed his wife.

“Dear,” Lily called out more insistently.

Once again, the man barely paused his conversation to respond. “I can’t believe it’s all happening so soon- Really, Lily, I’ll be there in just a minute- Are they ready for everything in this new world?”

“James Potter! You can speak with Albus any time. Your son has already defeated the Dark Lord. Are you going to miss any more?” Lily’s voice boomed across the room, the humor gone, but her eyes twinkling merrily.

Smiling broadly, but shaking his head ruefully, James bid Professor Albus Dumbledore goodbye and crossed the room to join his wife on the sofa. As he sauntered across the room, he heard a low wolf whistle, followed immediately by the sound of a whip cracking.

“Sirius,” Lily admonished. “You should be over here too.”

“Sorry, Lily,” Sirius grinned, not looking the least bit repentant. “Let me finish this…”

The castle that he had been building on the low table promptly exploded. “Never mind,” Sirius announced jovially as he put out his smoking eyebrow. “I’m ready now.”

As he got up, he knocked his folding chair over accidentally on purpose. The chair clipped the edge of the table and scattered the remaining Exploding Snap cards. They ignited, blowing up in Cedric’s and Percy’s faces.

“Hey,” they chorused together, rubbing their singed faces and checking to make sure that their eyebrows were still intact.

“Sorry Percy. Sorry Cedric. What? You need me right now, Lily? I’ve got to be off, guys, can’t leave such a beautiful woman waiting for the scruffy likes of me, can I?”

And, with that, Sirius left the two young wizards looking completely flabbergasted and swaggered over to the sofa. He plopped down next to James, sighed loudly and pretended to be rather irritated with Lily.

“Prongs, would you mind asking your screeching bit of a wife why she had to drag me away from my almost completed castle to watch nothing at all?”

Lily, who wasn’t the slightest bit bothered by Sirius’ attitude, gave it right back to him. “James, would you mind asking your flea infested best mate to wait patiently? I believe that there is some news that we might all be interested in.”

James looked back and forth between his best mate and his cherished wife, trying to decide who was more dangerous. Making his decision, he clapped Sirius on the shoulder and whispered exaggeratedly, “Padfoot, I think you’re going to lose this one, it’s best you remain mum until we see what she’s blathering on about.”

“Hey,” Lily exclaimed. She swatted at her husband’s shoulder playfully. “I can hear, you know,” she reminded him.

Sirius turned to the white screen occupying the majority of the large wall, trying to ignore the pang in his heart as the lovebirds teased each other. Quite suddenly, the screen turned black and Sirius emitted a loud noise that sounded suspiciously like a bark.

“It’s starting,” he bellowed, waving his hand at the screen in an intricate and quite Lockhart-like motion.

Quickly, everyone in the room crowded around the sofa, chattering quietly amongst themselves.

The screen brightened and the crowd could make out Harry, Ron, Neville, Ginny, Hermione, and Luna laying in the dirt of the graveyard. Slowly, Harry began to stir, shaking his head as he lifted himself off the ground. After a few moments he crawled over to Ginny and shook her gently, trying to wake her.

“It’s about time,” Percy muttered. “What took him so long?”

Several people shushed Percy.

On the screen, Ginny began to stir. Once fully awake, she crawled over to Hermione and Luna and shook them both. Harry nudged Ron with his heel while he pushed on Neville’s shoulder. Neville, Hermione, and Luna came to pretty quickly but Harry could not wake Ron. He gave a great snore, exhaled loudly and rolled over, but would not wake.

Somewhere behind the sofa, Draco snorted. To his left, Snape let out a snicker. They were both rewarded with a sharp look from both Dumbledore and Kingsley.

“Ron, you insufferable git,” Ginny railed at him. “Don’t you dare leave Hermione in the lurch in the condition she’s in.”

Harry, Neville, and Luna turned to gape at Hermione. Hermione quickly turned pink and glared at Ginny. Ginny, who had been entirely too busy railing at her brother, suddenly looked up and had the decency to blush becomingly. “Oops,” she mumbled.

“Oh my,” Fleur exclaimed, covering her mouth with her hand. “She ees with child?”

“From her significant blush, I would say that it appears that way,” Sirius observed.

Ron groaned loudly and tried to sit up. Neville and Harry grabbed him under the arms and hauled him to his feet. Ron didn’t remember anything, and he couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about.

“Why is everyone screaming? Why do you keep slapping my back? What in the bloody hell is going on here?” The pressure had finally pushed Ron over the edge and he exploded.

“What language,” Emmeline Vance commented. “Surely this has something to do with your influence, Mr. Black.”

Sirius grinned wolfishly and replied saucily, “I can only hope it does.”

While she said nothing, Emmeline exchanged a glance with Amelia Bones, who merely adjusted mer monocle.

Hermione, who hadn’t chastised Ron for his choice of expletives, tried to shrink herself into nothing and hide behind a headstone.

“Hermione?” Ron asked loudly.

“She’s pregnant,” Ginny said quietly, finally breaking the silence that threatened to overwhelm the graveyard.

Ron looked at Ginny in disbelief, his eyes full of shock and hurt. “You couldn’t tell me?” he whispered.

“I didn’t know how,” Hermione whispered back. “With all the fighting and danger…and Ron, we’re not even married yet. Your mother will hate me.” She threw herself at him, burying her head in his shoulder and sobbing uncontrollably.

Ron rubbed her back, held her close and murmured into her ear. After a few minutes, she calmed considerably and her muffled cries ceased.

“So,” Harry ventured when Hermione had removed her head from Ron’s shoulder. He conjured a kerchief and handed it to her before continuing. “Are congratulations in order then?”

“Yes,” Ron said confidently. “I believe they are.”

Hermione’s eyes glistened with tears at Ron’s assured response.

“It doesn’t sound like they have any intentions of getting married,” Lily pointed out.

“I wonder how Molly and Arthur will take that,” James wondered.

“Maybe they will be supportive,” Sirius reasoned. “After all, they might be making plans that they don’t want to share with anyone yet.”

Luna motioned to Ginny and, once she was close enough, whispered in her ear.

“How are your legs?” Ginny asked innocently.

Hermione began to sputter while Luna and Ginny laughed uproariously. After several attempts to get them to stop, Hermione was sufficiently incensed to use her secret weapon.

“How are your legs?” she asked Ginny just as innocently, but with a mischievous gleam in her eyes.

“What do you mean?” Ginny retorted, her eyes showing the beginning of her panic.

“Well,” Hermione began, pretending to contemplate the situation. “If pain in my legs is a sign that I’m pregnant, your legs should hurt badly too, shouldn’t they?”

Harry, who had been laughing along with Neville, choked on his own laughter and began to turn purple.

“Serves him right,” Percy said hotly. “My baby sister isn’t of age yet. What was he thinking?”

“Ginny is his wife,” Sirius responded in kind. “Do you honestly think that married people don’t…”

“Sirius,” Lily shouted, covering up Sirius’ descriptive description of how Harry had managed to get Ginny pregnant.

On the screen, Harry continued to choke. Neville slapped him between the shoulder blades causing him to stumble forward. When he finally got a full breath into his lungs, Harry realized that he didn’t know what to say.

“Really?” was all he could choke out. “I’m going to be a father?”

Ginny nodded, tears streaming down her face. “You aren’t mad?”

“How could I be mad?” Harry asked. “I’m going to be a father.” He turned to Ron and Neville. “Something worked, I guess. I’m going to be a dad.”

Neville smiled happily. “It couldn’t have happened to two better people,” he asserted.

“I’m going to be a dad,” Ron shouted happily.

“I’m going to be a dad too,” Harry echoed.

“You’re both going to be dads,” Ginny and Hermione shouted in unison.

Luna, who had been quiet as the other five discussed the baby situation, finally decided to contribute. “You’re all going to be dads,” she said seriously.

Harry and Ron looked at Neville in amusement, thinking that it served him right to be in the same situation as them. Hermione and Ginny looked at Luna curiously. Neville, however, just looked downright confused.

“How?” Neville stammered. “We haven’t…we didn’t…”

“Oh, I know,” Luna chuckled. “I just wanted to see the look on your face.”

“I always knew there was something off about that witch,” Snape declared.

“Batty, she is,” Draco added, mimicking his former classmate.

“I think she has a lovely sense of humor,” Dumbledore proclaimed.

“Much better than yours, Snivellus,” Sirius snorted.

“I hardly think…” Severus tried to snap, but was almost immediately interrupted.

“Shhh,” Lily commanded. “I don’t want to miss this next part.”

The crowd had all focused their attention on Sirius and Severus as the two squared off, but when Lily made the impatient shushing noise, they turned back to the giant screen.

“What’s going on?” Snape spat, still glaring daggers at Sirius.

“If you two would stop being so juvenile,” James began, but stopped abruptly when Sirius shoved him off the sofa and onto the carpeted floor. “That’s exactly what I am referring to,” he finished with as much dignity as one can muster from the ground.

“What James is trying to say, is that their lives have continued on while the two of you were comparing how large your,” Lily scolded. In a much calmer tone of voice and with a painful grimace she quickly changed the ending of her sentence. “Wands are. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Neville have gone to get the rest of the Weasleys. They are at Longbottom Manor right now, trying to persuade Molly and Arthur to accept a gift. And, if all of you would hush, I could hear what they’re trying to convince them to accept.”

On the screen, Harry and Ginny were verbally sparring with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. No matter what angle they tried to argue from, one of them had the perfect rebuttal.

Finally, after an exhausting hour of getting absolutely nowhere, Harry made a decision. “Molly, Arthur, if you won’t accept our heartfelt gift, fine. I accept that, but don’t be surprised at what is about to happen next.”

Harry took Ginny’s hand and turned to Ron and Hermione. He nodded at them and smiled devilishly. He heard Neville and Luna chuckling in the background.

“Mum,” Ginny sighed, “you asked for this, remember that.”

“What did I ask for?” Mrs. Weasley asked suspiciously. “It doesn’t matter what you say. We won’t take your home. Where will you live? Arthur and I will be perfectly fine rebuilding our own home. We simply won’t take yours.”

“Ron,” Harry said in a mock pompous tone. “Do you accept our gift of the Burrow?”

“Yes, Harry. I accept,” Ron replied formally.

Harry repeated the same thing with Hermione.

“Yes, Harry. I also accept,” Hermione answered with a straight face.

Harry took a deep breath before beginning his speech. “The Burrow is yours. As it was originally intended as a wedding gift from Ginny and I to you, and you have not, as of this moment, been married, we are forced to find you another suitable gift. This being the case, you are free to do with the Burrow as you like. Whatever you chose will be magically binding, of course, as you have entered into a magical contract with Ginny and I by accepting the gift.” Harry turned to look at Molly and Arthur.

Ron and Hermione spoke at the same moment Molly realized the implications of Harry’s statement. Her eyes went wide as Ron and Hermione both said, “It is our desire to have our family live at the new Burrow.”

Molly’s eyes filled with tears. Arthur, who had been uncharacteristically vocal during the argument, had gone silent once Harry had begun the ritual. Harry and Ginny both looked incredibly pleased with themselves.

“We accept,” Arthur whispered.

Molly started to object, but everyone in the room tried to cut her off at the same time.

“It’s done Molly,” Arthur stated flatly. “Let’s get beyond it and thank them for their generosity.”

“I can’t…”

“Ah, but you can,” Harry quipped. “In fact, you have to.”

“Fine,” Molly muttered, a small smile forming on her face.

“And,” Ginny added, grinning in delight, “you get a house elf.”

“Winky,” Harry called.

With a small ‘pop’, Winky appeared next to Harry.

“Dobby,” Harry called again.

Another small ‘pop’ and Dobby stood next to Winky.

“Which one would you like to have working for you?” Harry asked.

“I couldn’t choose,” Molly whispered.

“We should let them choose,” Hermione complained, her S.P.E.W. rising to the surface.

“That would be fine with us,” Arthur agreed.

Winky said nothing. Dobby turned to Harry, the grief evident in his eyes.

“Harry Potter, Sir, Winky is bound to Grimmauld Place. She cannot go to the Burrow.”

“Very well then,” Harry responded. “Winky shall stay at Grimmauld Place. Dobby will go to the Burrow.”

With that, Winky started to bawl. Great tears seeped from her bulging eyes. Harry was overwhelmed; not to mention incredibly confused.

“What is it with these ridiculous house elves?” Draco wondered.

“If I had to venture a guess,” Dumbledore volunteered. “I would think that she wants to work for Molly and Arthur at the Burrow, but she is bound to Grimmauld Place. Give Harry a minute, he’ll figure it out.”

As Dumbledore finished his sentence, Harry was releasing Winky from her bonds to Grimmauld Place.

“Now,” Harry said confidently. “I’ll ask again. Who would like to work for Mum and Dad at the Burrow?”

“I is volunteering, Mr. Harry Potter, Sir,” Winky sobbed.

“We would love to have you,” Molly gushed. “We’ve never had a house elf before. You’ll have to counsel us frequently, I’m afraid.”

Drying her tears, Winky bound herself to the new Burrow and happily disappeared. Dobby thanked Harry and Ginny profusely before whispering in Harry’s ear that he had hoped Winky would want to go to the Burrow.

“I wanted to stay with Harry Potter,” Dobby continued in a low whisper. “It is where I belong.”

“It is,” Harry whispered back, causing the small house elf great happiness. “We are both glad to have you.”

Dobby threw his arms around Harry and Ginny’s legs, squeezed them briefly and disappeared.

“What about us?” Neville said, speaking up for the first time in a while.

“What about you?” Harry repeated.

“Where are we going to live?” Neville persisted.

“Harry, invite them to live with you,” Lily whispered.

“It’s the right thing to do, son,” James added.

The both glanced back up at the screen in time to see Harry telling Luna and Neville that they were welcome at Grimmauld Place.

“We’d love to Harry,” Neville said enthusiastically.

“But, we already have a place to live,” Luna finished.

“We do?” Neville stammered.

“I have a house,” Luna reminded him gently. “We have a house. That is, if you’ll have me.”

“What are you talking about, you crazy witch, of course I’ll have you,” Neville boomed.

Everyone, including Neville’s Gran, laughed at Neville’s reaction. Even the people watching on the screen were chuckling at Neville’s choice of words.

The screen faded to black and the crowd gathered around the sofa dispersed back to their original places. Dumbledore, Severus, Draco and Kingsley gathered around the fireplace. Kingsley and Dumbledore lit cigars and puffed on them thoughtfully. Draco and Severus both conjured glasses of firewhiskey. Dumbledore peered over his glasses at Draco for a moment before silently consenting to his choice of drink.

“I do believe you’ve earned it,” he observed.

“Can I ask you a question, Professor?” Draco asked.

“Of course, now you may ask me another,” Dumbledore teased gently.

With a confused look on his face, Draco asked him about what had been troubling him for a while. “I saw Hermione with Fawkes when I was watching them at Godric’s Hollow. Why did Fawkes go to her instead of your beloved poster- I mean, Harry?”

Smiling, with his eyes full of humor, Dumbledore shook his head. “I don’t know why, Draco. Phoenixes are incredible creatures. Intelligent, loyal and, at times, oddly perceptive.”

“Why would he think that Miss Granger would be more suitable?” Severus asked.

“Maybe Fawkes knew that Harry would not be open to his help. Maybe Miss Granger was more open than she thought to the power of his suggestions. I’m afraid we may never know.” Dumbledore scratched the end of his nose thoughtfully.

Their conversation turned to the changes in the Ministry now that the Dark Lord had fallen.

“There won’t be much need for Aurors now,” Severus commented.

“We can’t be sure that we got all the Death Eaters,” Kingsley reminded him. “They might be in hiding. They tried that before, they may try it again.”

“They can’t,” Draco informed them.

“How can you be sure?” Dumbledore asked, already knowing the answer.

“The Dark Mark.” Severus looked away from Dumbledore, his pale cheeks flushing. He knew that the former headmaster had read his thoughts a long time ago, but had chosen to allow him to deal with his own issues. “I am still grateful,” he whispered softly enough that only Dumbledore heard his statement.

“What do you mean,” Kingsley asked.

“If there were any Death Eaters still alive, which I doubt, they would have perished when Harry defeated Voldemort,” Draco explained.

“So,” Kingsley began slowly. “What you’re saying is that Voldemort made it so that his followers would die if he did. Why? Wouldn’t he want them to continue on in his stead?”

“No. The Dark Lord sought ultimate power for himself. He created the Dark Mark so that if someone attempted to take over, they would be wiped out.”

“Did all the Death Eaters know about the special circumstances?” Kingsley asked curiously. “I can’t imagine anyone signing up under those circumstances, knowing that everyone was out to defeat you-know-who. Wouldn’t it be a huge risk?”

“Yes. We knew. It was a risk, one worth taking, or so we thought,” Severus commented. “The Dark Lord is very persuasive. He reminded me of that Muggle leader during the first war. What was his name? Hitler, yes, that’s it. The one who gave those speeches that moved a country to start a war. He wanted power, absolute power, and he found a way to get it.”

Severus and Draco both took a long pull on their firewhiskey. Kingsley took this as a sign that they no longer wanted to discuss such a sensitive topic and puffed on his cigar.

Across the room, Sirius had once again abandoned his attempts at building an Exploding Snap castle and left it to the younger wizards. They seemed much more adept at stacking the cards and Sirius needed an excuse to talk with James and Lily.

“I shall leave the castle making to the experts,” Sirius offered.

He crossed the room, mumbling to himself, something bothering him terribly. By the time he reached the sofa, he knew what it was. Without preamble, he blurted out his question before he dropped onto the sofa. “What about Remus?”

“What about Remus?” Lily echoed, turning to her husband for an answer.

“What about him?” James replied, trying his best to act innocent.

“What has he been doing?” Sirius asked tersely.

I don’t think that’s the right question to ask,” James answered in an irritating way.

“James,” Lily admonished. “If you know something, tell us. Stop insinuating such things.”

“Fine,” James conceded, laughing. “Remus is quite happy with his new wife. They are getting along famously. And, they quite enjoy the flat you set up for them in London.”

“When did they get married?” Lily shrieked. “How did I miss that?”

“I’ll bet James here keeps a better eye on Remus that you think,” Sirius pointed out. “I know I find myself watching him more frequently than others.”

“They got married in a small ceremony right after the attack on the Ministry. They were called away to join the fight at the Burrow. I’m not even sure that Remus had the chance to properly kiss her,” James snickered.

“I’m sure he’s had plenty of chances since then,” Sirius retorted. “I’m sure he’s had plenty of chance to…”

“Sirius,” Lily scolded. “That’s…that’s inappropriate.”

“But, funny,” James chimed in, laughing heartily at his wife’s discomfort.

“So,” Sirius jumped in, feeling guilty and trying to relieve some of the awkwardness he had created. “What about those wretched Dursley’s?”

“What about them,” James fumed. “I don’t care if they sat on a…”

“James,” Lily exclaimed. She shook her head ruefully. “You’re right, of course. I hate to believe that I talked Dumbledore into trusting them. Petunia turned out all right in the end, but that Vernon character.”

“What about their boy?” James snarled. “That fat, rude, son of a…”

“James,” Lily growled. “That’s enough. I’ll leave if you guys are going to continue to talk that way.”

James was instantly contrite. He knew that she had heard plenty of insults while she had been alive. Not all of them made it through her layer of armor, but the particularly nasty ones hurt her deeply. Especially the ones that centered on her family background. “I’m sorry, Lily. I love you.”

“I know, James, I’m sorry too.” Lily replied softly, looking sad.

Lily took a moment to compose herself. She looked down at her hands; tapping her fingers together and rubbing her thumbs while she thought. “He’s gone with his father. They’re living somewhere in Kent now. Petunia is still at Privet Drive. Harry and Ginny make it a point to go see her from time to time. The last time I watched, it seemed as though she had met someone new.”

“A wizard,” James offered helpfully. “She’s seems to be integrating herself into our world rather easily.”

“Petunia with a wizard,” Sirius exclaimed. “I never thought I would live to see the day.”

“Technically, you didn’t,” James quipped.

“How did she meet him?” Sirius asked.

“She met him at work,” Lily mumbled, knowing that wouldn’t satisfy Sirius.

“How does a Muggle meet a Wizard in Muggle London?”

“She doesn’t work in Muggle London.”

“Where does she work?”

Lily hesitated, not wanting to be the cause of Sirius’ heart attack. “Harry got her a job in Diagon Alley.”

“Where?” Sirius asked menacingly. “I know you’re stalling. James, make your wife tell me what she knows.”

“She works for Fred and George,” James explained, relieving Lily of the pressure.

Sirius, rather than looking upset at the news, merely looked surprised and changed the subject. “How are the next generation of Marauders doing with their shop?”

“Their shops, plural, are doing well. Now that Hogwarts will remain open they should see a marked increase in their sales in their Hogsmeade location. They’ve also opened a shop in Muggle London. They cater to the Muggle community there.” James looked at Lily before continuing. “They hired Petunia to manage their London shop while they are away.”

“Where are they going?” Sirius asked.

“I think they’re taking Angelina and Katie to Egypt,” James told him.

“Honeymoon?” Sirius questioned interestedly.

“No. I don’t think they’ll be getting married any time soon,” Lily interrupted. “They’re not the marrying type. Fortunately, they seem to have found the perfect women for them. Angelina and Katie work side by side with Fred and George in the shops, creating new products and helping with the books. They all live together in a flat over the Diagon Alley shop. They’re quite a pair of remarkable women. Hagrid would be jealous of all the dangerous creatures they get to work with for their products.”

Across the room M.G. McGonagall, Minerva McGonagall’s cousin, was eavesdropping on James, Lily and Sirius. “Did you hear that?” he asked.

“What?” Fleur responded.

“Hagrid is in Egypt somewhere, I think,” M.G. told her.

There was an overwhelming sound of dissent around the low table. The other five chairs held people shaking their head at M.G.’s announcement.

“Where did you hear that?” Emmeline asked.

“That’s preposterous,” Amelia added.

“That’s as likely as Arthur being made Minister,” Fabian and Gideon said at the same time.

“Which means it’s very likely,” Dumbledore called from across the room. “I apologize for eavesdropping on the conversation, but I couldn’t help but overhear. Voices carry so well in this room.” By the time he had finished his sentence, he was standing next to the circle of large, stuffed, armchairs. “You all look very comfortable. Do you mind if I join you?” He stood patiently, waiting for permission to join the group.

Once they got over their shock, the entire group nodded as one, their eyes still registering the shock of Dumbledore’s comment. Once he noticed their approval, he conjured a chair and took his place in the circle.

“As I was saying, using your comparison, there’s a good chance of Hagrid being in Egypt, as Arthur was made Minister of Magic shortly after the battle in the Ministry. He’s already met the Muggle Prime Minister and smoothed things over with the Muggle authorities.”

“Why did they replace Scrimgeour?” Amelia mused out loud.

“Maybe it had something to do with his cowardice,” Emmeline offered.

“It had everything to do with that,” Percy called from across the room, managing to keep the cards from falling and exploding. “Sorry, Professor, but you’re right about sound carrying in here.”

Dumbledore smiled wisely. “I do believe young Mr. Weasley is right. Minister Scrimgeour showed no courage in the face of true adversity. The Wizengamot called for his resignation and voted unanimously to elect Arthur."

“It’s about time,” M.G. said snarkily. “He’s been working behind the scenes for ages. Some of the laws he’s proposed, the ones that Fudge took credit for, have made a tremendous impact on the Wizarding World. Not once did he complain that he was being taken advantage of, he just came into to work and did a job he loved.”

“He is a great man,” Gideon said solemnly. “I knew it when he came to us before he married Molly.”

“He knew that Mum and Dad wouldn’t approve, so he came to us,” Fabian continued in the same tone of voice.

“I sought zey eloped,” Fleur muttered. “Zat ees what Bill said.”

“They did,” Fabian said approvingly. “I’m surprised that you…”

“I am so sorry,” Gideon apologized. “So is Fabian, he tends to stick his foot in his mouth from time to time.”

“Zere ees no need for zat. I know zat Bill and I shared a true love. I loved him, and he loved me. I will spend zee rest of my life loving him. I only hope zat he finds someone to make him ‘appy.” Fleur wiped at her eyes with a delicate lace kerchief Bill had given her on their wedding night.

“You will be happy to know that he is back at work,” Dumbledore remarked.

“Really?” Fleur breathed. “Ees he ‘appy with his new job?”

“He’s building wards for private residences now,” Fabian spoke up.

“He worked on the new Burrow,” Gideon added.

“Now he’s working on Charlie and Cordilia’s house.” Dumbledore watched Fleur carefully. He had always had a soft spot in his heart for the young French witch.

“And,” Fleur prompted.

“He’s staying with them. It’s small house near Otter St. Catchpole, just over the hill from the Burrow. He’s staying with them until he finds a place of his own,” M.G. explained.

“How do you know?” Fleur questioned him intensely.

“I was watching my cousin. I think you’ve met her. Professor McGonagall. Anyway, I was watching her and I heard Bill tell her about it when she asked him to reconstruct the wards around Hogwarts.” M.G. blushed after he finished. The young witch had enough Veela in her to fluster him when he looked directly at her. He turned away from her gaze and focused on Cedric and Percy several feet away. He watched as the entire castle tumbled to the table, setting off a grand explosion and causing an uproar of laughter.

“I hate to change the subject,” Amelia broke in when the laughter died down, “but what of Hagrid?”

“I assume he’s with Olympe,” Dumbledore predicted.

“They’re in Romania,” Emmeline mentioned casually.

“So he is with Olympe,” Dumbledore surmised. “Good for him.”

“Why are zey in Romania?” Fleur asked.

“They are helping out at the post where Charlie was stationed,” Emmeline explained. “Norbert is there, you know.”

“That makes a lot of sense,” Dumbledore said sagely.

“They’ve been having quite a few problems over there with Dragon poachers,” Emmeline informed them.

“Dragon poachers?” Amelia asked. “Why wasn’t I informed of this before?”

“The real troubles started after you, passed on. These poachers are using Muggle weapons. Apparently these automatic rifles can do more damage to a Dragon than magic,” Emmeline relayed the information she had gotten from the Ministry.

“Automatic rifles? Who in Merlin’s name has automatic rifles?” Fabian ranted.

“Most unsporting. Probably Belgium,” Gideon guessed.

Everyone smiled at their small joke. After all, the Wizards in Belgium hardly mixed with the Belgian Muggles. They lived far away from them in their own villages, complete with Muggle repelling charms and traps. All in all, there was virtually no chance that anyone from Belgium was using automatic rifles.

“What does Moody have to say about that?” Dumbledore inquired politely.

“He says that he’s going to get to the bottom of it, of course, and until then to maintain CONSTANT VIGILANCE.” Kingsley roared the last two words and they echoed across the room.

There was a smattering of laughter and everyone was put at ease. All of the serious conversations came to a halt and people started discussing the happier aspects of life. The women left the room, chatting away as they went, to help finish the dinner preparations.

Within minutes, Cassandra appeared in the vast doorway announcing it was time to eat. Behind her, all of the women were busy setting the large table, which had been magically expanded to accommodate the gathering of people.

“Hopefully we won’t have to enlarge the table again soon,” Dumbledore muttered as he crossed through the doorway. He kissed Cassandra on the cheek gently and whispered into her ear before taking his seat at the table. Cassandra beamed and waited for all of the stragglers to enter the room before sitting down next to her love.

Dinner was a noisy affair. Everyone present was in an exceptionally good mood and the conversation was lively. Cassandra was an excellent cook and Percy even mentioned that her dishes were just as good as his mother’s. The happy chattering continued on for hours and the people present felt content.

In the other room, the large screen was black. Slowly, it flickered to life. The usual brilliant colors on the screen had been replaced by dreary and ominous shades of gray. In a dense grove of trees, a large, shadowy boa constrictor moved through the leaves and underbrush unhampered. When it reached the clearing, it came to a sudden stop.

The snake slowly stood up, morphing into the nude shape of a woman. With a snap of her fingers, the woman conjured a robe.

A sound echoed through the grove of trees behind her and she turned, her hands raised in anticipation of a fight. It was just a small squirrel, but she dispatched of it coldly. In that moment, her head turned toward the screen, revealing a beautiful face. Her perfect, ageless features were set in an ugly grimace.

“You might have foiled this plan, Harry Potter, but I will have my revenge,” she swore.

She turned, her robes billowing around her legs revealing creamy white skin, and virtually slid out of the forest.

Nagini had finally revealed her true form.


Okay everyone. Obviously I have left it open for a sequel. I am planning, right now, on writing one, if there is enough interest.

Also, I borrowed a line from “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”. Since I started writing this story, I have been trying to find a place where it would fit. Finally, I found a place where it could be used in context. I hope it makes you laugh just as much as it made me laugh.

I want to say thank you to the lovely and talented Mod, Shannon. (Nightfall00, should you want to read some of her fabulous stories!) She has made such an effort to get this stubborn story posted. She deserves lots of e-hugs and reviews!

Also, I want to say thank you to my pseudo-Beta reader. Kim, you know who and where you are. Thank you for keeping my spirit up and letting me bounce ideas off of you. I would have written myself into an impenetrable corner, had I not had people like you willing to listen to my off-the-wall theories.

And, last but not least. THANK YOU to my fabulous Beta, Rockeye. He has really pushed this story along, making it what it has become. All of the errors and crap ideas are mine. All of the great twists and plot bunnies are thanks, in large part, to him. I started with an idea and he breathed the necessary life into it to keep it alive!



Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=11674