It's About Time by sanidad



Summary: Three short glimpses into the life of the Potters as they build the family that we see in the Epilogue. Compatible with canon.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-DH/AB
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Three Moments
Published: 2007.12.05
Updated: 2007.12.06


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Author's Notes: My sincere thanks to jezzjamer2 for beta reading this fanfic. I’m very grateful for her time and input.


Roughly five years after the fall of Voldemort...

Ginny Potter eyed her husband of three years warily. She understood that it was Saturday and that they were supposed to be taking advantage of the weekend to spend some time together and unwind. But in her current state of mind she was anything but relaxed; and Harry didn’t even seem to notice. It was actually quite maddening to watch him sit there, looking so serene, while inside her mind emotions were whirling. Was he really so oblivious to his wife’s current state of anxiety? There was only one way to find out...

“I’m thinking about retiring.”

Harry dropped the latest issue of the Daily Prophet that he was reading and looked up from his breakfast; staring at his wife with his mouth agape, the classic picture of shock.

“Gin, are you serious?”

She responded silently with a firm stare that bordered on a glower. Harry knew this look a little too well and pulled back from the table raising both hands, palms facing away from him in a motion of surrender.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that it seems a little out of the blue, and the season starts in two weeks!”

Ginny sighed in frustration as she turned her face towards the window, looking for answers where she knew there were none. She carelessly tucked a stray lock of ginger colored hair behind her right ear and turned back to Harry; carefully avoiding looking directly into his bright green eyes by taking a sip of her tea before replying.

“I’m sorry too. That was unfair of me...I realize it seems a little sudden, but I’ve actually been thinking about it since last season ended.”

“I thought things were going well with the Harpies.”

“They are, and that’s part of what’s making this decision so difficult. The other Chasers and I are really starting to work well together; I think we could really contend for the Cup this season and even next season too if everyone stays healthy. Plus, the idea of walking away from Quidditch after dreaming about it for so long...”

“Then why walk away? If you’re looking for a break, there’s no need to retire. Just take a season off and come back to the team when you’re ready. Gwenog (the Harpies team Captain) will probably ask you to try out again when you come back to make sure you’re still in good form, but that shouldn’t be a problem.” Harry took a sip from his cup before continuing, “Now that I think about it, a break could be just what you need. What with you joining the Harpies right after graduating, your life has been pretty chaotic for just about six years straight if you include the end of your time at Hogwarts.”

Ginny turned back to Harry, her eyebrow arched knowingly and a hint of a smile at the corner of her mouth.

“And what about you Mr. Auror? Half of the Order took a much needed break after the last battle. But the Boy-Who-Lived-Again had to make sure every last Death Eater was captured and accounted for.”

Harry pursed his lips into a slight frown, as his eyes turned downward towards a random spot on the table.

“We’ve been over this before, Gin. What was the good of defeating Tom–”

“‘...if his followers were free to continue his work unchecked.’ Yes, we’ve been over this before and I told you I’ve already come to terms with your over-developed sense of nobility.”

“Then what’s the real issue here?”

“When I walk away from Quidditch, I’m not going back.”

“‘When?’ What happened to ‘If?’”

Ginny paused before replying, her voice almost a whisper. “Caught that did you?” She looked down momentarily and exhaled before reconnecting with her husband’s gaze. “You’re right, of course. I guess I’ve already come to the realization that the real question is, indeed, ‘When?’”

Harry tried to process everything his wife had just revealed to him, then tilted his head to the side as he latched on to a new thought. “Well, maybe you could answer another question for me before I help you with that one.”

“Go on.”

“Why?”

Ginny hesitated before opening her mouth. The internal struggle she had been dealing with for weeks finally came to a head, and she made her decision. She lovingly took her husband’s hands into her own and stared at him fixedly. Harry, for his own part, noticed the change in his wife’s lovely chocolate eyes and sat up a little straighter because he knew her next words were going to be important. He wasn’t disappointed.

“I want a baby.”

Harry opened his mouth as if to say something, but didn’t. He looked downward for a moment as if trying to sort his thoughts, then calmly removed his hands from his wife’s grasp and picked up the newspaper, hiding his face from her view.

Ginny’s face fell. She thought he would be happy. Actually, she thought he would be ecstatic. There were times when he couldn’t stop talking about having a family of their own one day. The only reason she had delayed telling him what was on her mind was because she had to come to terms with retiring from Quidditch for herself. She could feel tears starting to well up in her eyes and was about to excuse herself to the bedroom when she heard Harry’s voice call out from behind the paper.

“It’s about bloody time.”

Eyes ablaze, Ginny reached across the table and tore down Harry’s cover only to find his most mischievous smirk waiting for her.

“You bloody prat! I actually thought you were upset! I should take a bludger to your bits for that!”

Despite her fury, Harry could only laugh in delight. He replaced the paper onto the table and motioned to her to come to him. When she didn’t, his expression immediately changed to one of atonement.

“Please, Ginny.”

Still scowling, she reluctantly navigated around the table and sat on his lap. Harry wrapped one arm around his wife’s waist and nuzzled her neck. His other hand calmingly ran up and down her back. Eventually, he felt her soften and he raised his face to make eye contact.

“Please don’t be mad, Gin. I guess I was so happy, I lost my head.”

Ginny eyed him coolly, “So you’re all right with this then?”

Harry reached up with one hand to caress her cheek. Enjoying his touch, she leaned into his hand and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, he responded.

“Of course I am. I can’t remember ever being happier.”

His words earned him a generous smile and he continued before she could break his train of thought.

“Being with you has made me happier than I ever thought I deserved. You know about my years with the Dursleys, so you know what I mean when I say the beginning of our relationship felt dreamlike, like I was living someone else’s life...and once Tom was gone, being reunited with you made me feel like I was really alive for the first time...and I can still remember how my heart felt like it was going to burst the day we got married. And now...now we’re finally going to have the family I’ve always wanted...Every time I think I couldn’t be happier, you find a new way to make me feel like the luckiest man alive.”

Ginny’s eyes were now wet with emotion, although the tears were no longer of disappointment and sadness. She wrapped her arms around his neck and drowned him in a kiss full of passion...and love...and promises of even more joy in the future. A few blissful moments later, Ginny stood up from her husband’s embrace and sauntered back to their bedroom. Harry noticed a little extra sway to her hips, which brought his grin back in full force.

“It’s about time.” He repeated once more to himself, and followed his wife to bed.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Author's Notes: My sincere thanks to jezzjamer2 for beta reading this fanfic. I’m very grateful for her time and input.


Roughly seven years after the fall of Voldemort...

The mood over the Potter household was tense. Even little James, who was all of sixteen months old could sense that something was amiss. The Sunday had started off normally enough... Harry let Ginny have a bit of a lie in and did a little fry-up for himself and James for breakfast. Afterwards, he took his son out for a broom ride around the field behind the house. Much to James’ delight, he conveniently forgot an earlier promise to his wife and soared high above the tree line.

However, ever since lunch the two adults had been a little on edge — and it had not escaped their son’s notice. Even as his father levitated some toys to entertain him, James observed that Harry’s posture did not carry its usual relaxed body language. His mother was more obviously agitated as she buzzed around the house doing chores in a flurry, her beautiful red hair escaping from her ponytail one wisp as a time.

Even if he could not yet ask his parents what was wrong, James knew there was something he could do to make them feel better. He put down the play wand he had been using to imitate his father’s actions and walked up to his mother’s side, ignoring the fact that she was trying to do some last minute cleaning. He raised both arms in a well-practiced motion and said, “Up?”

Ginny looked down at her son with a slight frown, “’Up, please,’ James.”

“Up, pees.”

Lifting her son into her arms, Ginny felt some of the tension that had been building up leave her shoulders, enabling her to bring him closer into her embrace. James eagerly snuggled closer into his mother’s arms.

“Calm down, Gin. I’m sure you’re getting worked up over nothing.” suggested Harry from his spot on the floor.

Ginny looked over her son’s shoulder at her husband and noticed the slightly worried look on his face. “Yes, I’m sure we are both worrying too much,” she replied, emphasizing his inclusion in the anxiety she knew they both felt, “But, I can’t help it... I want them to be happy... I want them to know that we’re excited, but we’re not gloating.” Ginny didn’t notice that the little bounce she subconsciously did whenever she held her son had increased in intensity and was now having the opposite of its intended effect.

“Come on, luv. This is Ron and Hermione we’re talking about. They’ve known us long enough not to look for or find hidden meanings in what we say.”

Ginny stopped bouncing and gently rubbed James’s back, “I know... I know... I just wish things were different for them. I don’t want them to get discouraged.”

“If worse comes to worse, I’ll just tell Hermione to start popping out twins if they want to catch up with us.”

“Harry James Potter! Don’t you dare!” Ginny glared at her husband, her fierce gaze challenging her husband’s cheek. Little James broke the embrace at his mother’s raised voice, but returned his head to her shoulder once he saw his father’s smirk. He knew that Daddy did this all the time. If he was willing to get himself in trouble, he could find a way out of it.

Ginny gently placed her son back on the ground so she could fix her hair, giving him the opportunity to march over to his father for another hug.

“Up?”

“‘Up, please,’ James.”

“Up, pees.”

No sooner had James settled into his father’s lap for another warm hug, did they hear a whooshing sound come from the fireplace.

“Ron! Hermione!” cried Ginny as she rushed over to greet their visitors. Harry removed his son from his lap and placed him on the floor in order to be able to greet their visitors himself, but his son beat him to it.

“Mynee!”

“Hello, James!” cried Hermione as she bent down and gathered James into her arms.

“Hey, midget!” exclaimed Ron, as he ruffled his nephew’s hair.

“Ron, you’re going to give him a complex,” frowned his wife, who was now trying to soothe James by rubbing his back. James understood that he was supposed to be feeling bad about something, but he had no idea what for.

Once all greetings were exchanged, Ginny took control of the small group, “Why don’t you all get settled in the sitting area and I’ll bring in the tea.”

At this, Ron offered his arms out to take James from Hermione, but the toddler clung to her tighter than before. “That’s all right, Ron. He’s not that heavy.”

Ron opened his mouth as if to say something but Hermione had already turned to follow Harry into the other room. Having no alternative, he followed them into the sitting room, his hand placed protectively on the small of his wife’s back.

Once everyone was seated, the four adults got caught up on the latest events in each other’s lives as James’ eyelids grew heavy. It was past time for his afternoon kip and he had no interest in such topics as human-Centaur relations, the Cannons’ new Seeker or Uncle Neville’s recent engagement. Besides, like most women, his Aunt Mynee was soft and warm, perfect for cuddling up and nodding off.

After getting caught up, a natural lull settled on the four friends’ conversation. Ginny glanced over at Harry, a nervous question in her eyes. He gave her a small nod, and placed his tea on the table so he could take her hands into his.

“Ron...Hermione...we have some news.”

The other couple noticed the subtle shift in their hosts’ demeanor and glanced at each other in apprehension.

“Is everything all right?” asked Ron, “You two look like your best friend died, and seeing as Hermione and I are perfectly all right, it can only mean bad news about you two.”

“Well, it’s not bad news, really,” began Harry as he stalled for some time to gather his courage. “You know how important family is to me...well, except for the Dursleys...but they’re the reason I wanted a loving family of my own...and we do have one now–although Ginny deserves most of the credit...”

Exasperated, Ginny interrupted her husband’s rambling and blurted out, “Oh, for goodness sake! Ron, Hermione–”

“Harry? Ginny?” called a familiar voice from the fireplace.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief and immediately made for the fireplace, leaving Ginny muttering under her breath. Back in the family room, he found the face of Andromeda Tonks waiting for him.

“Andromeda! Is everything all right?”

“Yes...well...more or less. Something has come up and I need to go to Gringotts for a bit. Would you mind taking Teddy for a few hours?”

“Not at all! Send him on through.”

“Thank you so much, Harry. I’ll call again in a few hours.”

Seconds later, Harry found himself hugging his godson, who had chosen a cheerful lime green for his hair color for the day.

“Ack! Teddy! You could at least try to brush off some of the soot before attacking me!”

Teddy Lupin looked up at his godfather impishly, “Sorry, Harry.” There was absolutely no remorse behind his apology, but Harry didn’t really care. Gathering his godson into his arms, he returned to the sitting area, hoping that Teddy’s presence would help diffuse any potential disappointment in the news they were about to share with their family.

“Hermione! Ron! I didn’t know you were here today!”

Teddy reached for Ron, who mussed his hair in affection. As he did so, the young metamorphmagus quickly changed his hair to Chudley Orange, much to the older man’s delight.

“Well done, midget!”

“Ron!” scolded his wife, again.

“Oh, he doesn’t mind, do you?”

Teddy gleefully shook his head in the negative, “Nope. What’s a midget?”

“Anyone who’s shorter than me.”

“So Harry, Ginny and Hermione are all midgets too?”

“Yep.”

Hermione stifled her displeasure as Harry and Ginny simply chuckled. The bushy haired witch decided to turn the tables on them.

“So, what was this news you were trying to tell us?”

The Potters’ laughter quickly died away as they shared a look of uncertainty. Finally, Ginny plucked up her Gryffindor courage and said, “I’m pregnant again.”

Ron and Hermione seemed to blink in unison before turning to look at each other. They exchanged a silent thought and exhaled in relief.

“Is that all?” asked Ron, “I thought Ginny had gotten sacked from the Prophet or something.”

“Yes,” Hermione agreed, “you really shouldn’t scare us like that.”

It was Harry and Ginny’s turn to be confused.

“You’re not... upset?” asked Ginny meekly.

“Of course not,” replied Hermione.

“Besides, Hermione’s got a bun in the oven too.”

“Ron! Honestly...”

“What? I thought we agreed we were going to tell them today.”

“Yes, but you could have prepared them first.”

“After what they just laid on us? What for?”

Before the argument could escalate any further, Ron found himself encircled by his sister’s arms nearly dropping Teddy in the process. Meanwhile, Harry was gently placing a kiss on Hermione’s forehead so as not to disturb the sleeping toddler in her arms. Further love and congratulations were conveyed through hugs and gestures rather than words that would only fall short of the intended message. It was Ron who finally broke the silence.

“Did you get that, midget? You’re not going to have one, but two new playmates soon!”

Teddy took a moment to process what Ron was trying to tell him. He looked into the redhead’s eyes in that knowing way that only children can do and echoed what everyone in the room was already thinking, “It’s about time.”

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Author's Notes: My sincere thanks to jezzjamer2 for beta reading this fanfic. I’m very grateful for her time and input.

The last glimpse...Too many clichés? Probably, but there’s a reason that people write so often about life experiences such as the ones I chose: they’re the ones that mean the most to us.


Roughly ten years after the fall of Voldemort...

Harry Potter was in agony. On his right, his son James had nodded off and had rendered his arm useless. The shoulder that his son was leaning on was sore not because of James’ weight, but because he had not been allowed to move his arm for nearly two hours. Similarly, his other son Albus had rendered his left leg useless and Harry was already dreading the pins and needles effect that would come when he finally got the opportunity to remove his son’s sleeping form from his lap.

Add the mental anxiety that Harry had been struggling with for the past few hours into the mix and it became easy to sympathize with the poor man. He exhaled slowly so as to not disturb his sons and tilted his head back, his sore neck screaming in the process. Having nowhere else to place his head, he closed his eyes and allowed the evening’s earlier events to replay in his mind.

It had been quite a night. Ginny had abruptly woken Harry from a deep slumber to declare that she was in labor and she didn’t think it would be much longer before the baby arrived. Scrambling to grab everything they might need for the trip to St. Mungo’s, Harry wondered why she hadn’t woken him up sooner. But before long, it became obvious that he should have placed more trust in his wife’s instincts.

After delivering two other children, she obviously knew her body well enough not to place their new child in any danger. By the time Harry had packed what they needed, Ginny was waiting with their two boys by the fireplace, obviously feeling less rushed than her husband. As Harry approached the fireplace, he barely remembered to send his patronus to the Burrow with a message of the impending birth before grabbing the two boys and following his wife through the Floo network to the hospital.

Over the next few hours, several members of the Weasley clan had arrived at the hospital to join in the vigil. However, their individual lives and responsibilities eventually called each one home in turn. Ron, Hermione and Rose were the first to go home due to Hermione’s inability to get comfortable in the waiting area, despite several cushioning charms by her husband.

Ron tried to argue that in her condition, they should just stay at St. Mungo’s in the event that she entered labor as well, but his arguments fell on deaf (and rather grumpy) ears. Bill and Fleur stayed for a few hours with Victoire before announcing that they had to go to work for a bit, but would be back later. George had only recently left, saying that he didn’t want to leave Verity alone at the shop for two long. This flimsy excuse received several knowing looks from the rest of the family as everyone knew that Verity was fully capable of operating Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes on her own. However, no one complained.

Like the rest of the Weasleys, Harry hoped that George was finally on his way back to really living his life and that his recent displays of playfulness with Verity were an omen of good things to come. Typically, Percy passed his good wishes through his parents, citing an excessive workload for his absence. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were the only ones who had the means to remain with Harry until the end, but even they had their limits and had just stepped out for a bite to eat.

Despite the aching feeling in his joints and the hunger for news on Ginny’s progress, Harry felt himself slowly beginning to succumb to sleep once more, when he was unexpectedly roused by a gentle voice.

“She’s ready for you now.”

Harry jerked awake to find a short, blond mediwitch smiling kindly at him.

“Would you like me to take care of your sons while you visit your wife?”

Harry took a moment to consider if it was worth waiting for Molly and Arthur when his lack of patience won out.

“No, thank you. I think we’d like to see them straight away.”

Harry squeezed his two sons in delight and picked them up, one in each arm. He was looking forward to cradling his new child in his arms without having to share it with his mother-in-law. Upon standing up, he nearly lost his balance when his left leg refused to move as he had asked it to.

“Mr. Potter, are you alright?”

The inevitable tingly feeling he had been dreading earlier engulfed his leg and he waited for the feeling to lessen before re-establishing his posture. Harry’s trademark impatience took hold of him and he began to contort his face in several unusual expressions as he tried to will his leg back to life. He chuckled to himself, forgetting that he was being watched.

“Sir?”

Harry looked up with a slight grimace to his face, “Sorry. I was just thinking how I was able to face down the darkest wizard in ages, but was almost knocked on my arse by a little boy who’s still in nappies.”

The mediwitch giggled at his predicament, then offered her assistance again, “Are you sure you don’t want me to take them for you?”

Feeling his leg nearly returning to normal, Harry shook his head, “No, it should be alright now.” He gave her a winning smile and added, “Lead the way.”

Verifying that he had a firm grip on the boys, he eagerly followed the mediwitch down the hallway to the room where Ginny was supposed to be resting. When they came to the doorway of her room, he couldn’t help but pause at the scene that was waiting for him. Even though it was not their first child, he was still humbled by the sight of his wife holding his child swaddled in soft, white blankets.

Unlike the two rascals wriggling to break free of his grasp, this one already saw fit to follow its mother in at least one respect and was sporting a head full of fiery red hair. Ginny was obviously none the worse for wear, much to Harry’s relief. In fact, she appeared to already be quite taken by the new addition.

Ginny finally looked up from the sleeping infant and took notice of the three most important men in her life, the smile on her face glowing brighter than before. She loved it when Harry looked at her that way. It never ceased to amaze her that after all this time she could still take his breath away. She waited a few more moments for them to get used to seeing the new addition before breaking the silence.

“Boys, I would like you to meet Lily.”

Harry’s mouth dropped in shock. It opened and closed a few times, failing each time to make even the simplest noise. Eventually, he was able to stammer out his thoughts, “A g-girl?...B-but...I thought...”

Ginny’s playful side was thoroughly enjoying the surprise she had just thrown at her husband. She was a Weasley, after all. “Is that all you have to say, dear?”

Harry finally collected himself and grinned as wide as he ever had in his life, “It’s about time.”

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=127497