Stumbling Upon Perfect by ginnyweasley777



Summary: ***ABANDONED***Harry Potter wasn’t famous and he was just a normal boy with an unfortunate past, raised by his godfather. He didn’t go to Hogwarts and never met the Weasley’s, but what happens when he meets Ginny? A chance encounter, who knows where it can lead. A Harry/Ginny romance story.
Rating: R starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2010.01.07
Updated: 2010.04.06


Stumbling Upon Perfect by ginnyweasley777
Chapter 1: Chapter 1: First Meeting
Author's Notes:

Chapter 1: First Meeting


Ok, so there I was, sat at a table in a café in Diagon Alley. It was Saturday, which was my half day off from Healer training at St Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, and I’d just been to see Fred and George, my twin brothers, at their joke shop. Anyway, I’d just decided to come for a cup of hot chocolate before I Flooed home to The Burrow, my family home.

In fact, I should probably tell you about my family now - the Weasley family. Well, it’s really easy to recognize us because we’ve all got flaming red hair and freckles (yuck)! We’re one of the biggest wizarding families around but, unlike some of the other old families, we don’t go in for all the pureblood crap. Anyone is welcome in the family so long as they can hack it. I’ve got six brothers and I’m the only girl in the family, actually I’m the first girl to be born in the family for generations.

So, my mother, Molly Weasley, is the boss of the family and no one likes to get on the wrong side of her when she’s in a temper. Merlin, when she’s angry, she is angry and it’s best to just take cover until she’s got it out of her system. I suppose that’s who I’ve got my temper from.

Anyway, Dad works at the Ministry of Magic where he satisfies his fascination for all things Muggle by working in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts office. He’s really easy going but does have a knack for calming Mum down when she’s on the warpath, which is really useful, particularly when the twins are around.

Bill is the oldest of my brothers and he works for Gringotts, the wizarding bank. Before that he used to work in Egypt a lot as a curse breaker. He got married two summers ago to this annoying French witch called Fleur and they live in a cottage near the coast now but come to The Burrow every Sunday for dinner. Everyone comes home on Sundays, with the exception of Charlie, at Mum’s insistence. I think she likes to keep us all together one afternoon a week now that we’ve all got jobs and are doing our own things. Oh yeah, Fleur’s pregnant which means that Mum tends to go into overdrive whenever she’s around as the baby will be her first grandchild. I’m going to be an auntie! I’m really glad for them though and I know that Bill will make a great father.

So then there’s Charlie - he taught me to fly in our orchard even when everyone else said that I couldn’t because I’m a girl. Charlie’s currently in Romania (again) studying wild dragons but he usually comes home every once in a while to see the family and allow Mum to fuss over him (she always complains that he doesn‘t come home often enough).

Next there’s Percy, my most boring brother. I swear, never ask him about his job unless you want the pants bored off you - literally! He works at the Ministry but I don’t know what department and I don’t want to ask. He once started harping on at me about a report on the thickness of cauldron bottoms a few years ago - I think that was when I really stopped listening to him. Anyway, you get the picture. He lives in a flat in London with his wife, Penelope. I like Penelope - at least she’s got a sense of humour!

After Percy there’s the twins - Fred and George. I said earlier that they run a joke shop in Diagon Alley (Weasleys‘ Wizarding Wheezes), but before that they pulled just about every prank possible at Hogwarts. Not to mention testing their Skiving Snack boxes - a range of sweets to make you ill enough to get out of lessons and then make a full recovery once you’re out - on unsuspecting first years. Mum didn’t like the idea of the joke shop at first but now that she’s seen how well they’re doing with it she’s ok with it.

Finally, there’s Ron, my youngest brother, who works in the Department of Magical Games and Sports at the Ministry. I’ve always been close to Ron because we’re the closest in age but he does get annoyingly overprotective at times, at least until I threaten him with my famous Bat Bogey Hex. Ron’s always had a lot to live up to from the rest of the family and always has to prove himself but he’s always done fairly well for himself. His girlfriend, Hermione Granger, is one of my best friends. She’s a real know-it-all but she’s got a good heart and can be really fun when you get her to loosen up a bit. She works at the Ministry as well, in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

Now to me - Ginny Weasley. I’ve got brown eyes, the inevitable red hair and I’m not exactly the tallest one in the family. I think I’m a mix of most of the family really. Like I said, I’ve got Mum’s temper, but I don’t think I’m unreasonable with it because I always make sure that I stand up for what I believe in. I’m not exactly very patient though, if someone gets on my nerves then they’ll certainly know about it - usually with the Bat Bogey Hex which is kind of my speciality and signature spell. I’ve got the twins’ sense of humour though, I’m always up for a laugh and I love to have a good time. I’m also serious about my work, but nowhere near as much as Percy (thank Merlin!) I’m an independent person and I absolutely hate people trying to do things for me, especially if it’s just because I’m a girl and the youngest one in the family. Really though, I just want to get out there and do my best in life but still enjoy myself along the way. I mean, what more can I want?

Back to the story now though. The café was teeming with people having just completed their shopping and the noise of the chatter was making it hard to hear. In fact, I’d only just realised that I was being spoken to.

“Excuse me,” said a young man of about nineteen, a year older than I am. “Can I sit here, everywhere else is full,” he asked, indicating the empty seat opposite me.

“Go ahead,” I replied, taking in the features of the man as he sat down.

He had dark messy hair which was sticking up in all directions, a jagged lightening bolt scar on his forehead and the most striking emerald green eyes. Oh, did I mention that he had the most perfect physique. I mean, I’d never exactly believed in the whole love at first sight thing, but I certainly wasn’t going to deny that he was attractive, like very attractive.

“I’m Harry Potter,” said the young man, smiling at me as he extended his hand across the table.

“Ginny Weasley,” I replied, taking his hand and noticing the rough calluses there.

“Weasley. I’m sure I’ve heard that name before, I don’t think we’ve met though,” said Harry.

“No, we haven’t,” I replied, sure that I would have remembered this young man. “Did you go to Hogwarts? Perhaps you know one of my brothers.”

“I didn’t go to Hogwarts so I don’t think that can be it,” replied Harry.

“Well, my family is pretty well known so you’ve maybe heard of us but never met any of us. Where did you go to school then, if you didn’t go to Hogwarts?” I asked curiously.

“I didn’t go to school,” said Harry, “I was home taught by my godfather mostly.”

“What about your parents?” I asked.

“My parents died when I was a year old,” replied Harry, a dark shadow crossing his face as he frowned unhappily.

“I’m sorry,” I replied.

“You said that you have brothers,” said Harry, changing the subject. “How many?”

“Six,” I replied with a grimace, “And all older than me.”

“Wow, that must be…interesting,” said Harry.

“Yeah, they’re all overprotective gits,” I laughed, pleased when Harry laughed too.

“So, you went to Hogwarts, is that right?” asked Harry, smiling at me.

“Yeah, I finished in the summer. Now I’m training to be a Healer at St Mungos. What about you?” I asked, “What do you do?”

“I’m in the Auror training program at the Ministry,” replied Harry, “Second year.”

I nodded. “Ron, my youngest brother, was going to do that - he’s the same age as you - but then he got offered a job in the Department of Magical Games and Sports,” I said.

Harry looked at his watch. “Oh, Merlin!” he exclaimed.

“What?” I asked curiously.

“I need to get back to the Ministry,” he replied, standing up. “Ginny, I’ve really enjoyed talking to you, perhaps we can meet up again sometime? That is if you want to,” he said hesitantly.

“Yeah, I’d like that. How about after I finish at the hospital on Monday?” I asked.

“Great, should I meet you there?”

“Yes, is four thirty ok?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you then,” said Harry as he left the table.

I didn’t move from the table as I watched Harry walk away, I’m sure that I was in shock. A very attractive stranger called Harry Potter had just sat at my table, started talking to me, and then asked if he could see me again! I didn’t know what to think other than the fact that I was really looking forward to Monday now. I’d only just met the man and I already knew that I was attracted to him. I mean, ok, I’d been out with a few boys at Hogwarts - nothing serious and nothing that ever lasted for very long as I’d always dumped them for various different reasons - but I’d never felt so strongly for someone that I’ve only just met, until then.

I eventually managed to rouse myself from my thoughts enough to leave the café and I slowly made my way up the still teeming street to the Leaky Cauldron where I Flooed home to The Burrow.

I stepped out of the fireplace and into the sitting room where Mum was sat, already knitting her Weasley Christmas jumpers for the family.

“How was it at the hospital today?” asked Mum as she looked up.

“Oh, fine,” I replied, not really paying attention as I could still see Harry in my mind’s eye, and hear the rich sound of his laugh.

“What are you looking so pleased about?”

“Nothing,” I replied quickly.

I didn’t want Mum to know about the conversation that I’d just had with Harry, or my plans to meet him after I finished at the hospital on Monday because I knew that she’d just start quizzing me, and then my brothers would want to know all about Harry, even though nothing had happened between us - yet.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=128804