Gods Bless Accidental Magic! by Dopeydo



Summary: Everybody has their limits. As Harry finds his reason to live, he will break many of them… and not all intentionally. As Harry finds his reason to live, he will learn what it means to be broken in turn. There is a great power in friendship, but there is just as great a power in fear. (Crossover occurs late in the story.)

Note: Picks up from halfway through chapter six of PS. Abuse warnings are limited to pre-Hogwarts experiences. Rating is mainly for language.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2010.05.23
Updated: 2016.12.22


Gods Bless Accidental Magic! by Dopeydo
Chapter 1: Prologue Pt.1
Author's Notes:

Ron was getting really sick of being overshadowed. All of his brothers had already started at Hogwarts, and all of them had been brilliant in their own ways. Bill the Head Boy, Charlie the Quidditch Captain, Percy the Prefect, and Fred and George were the pranksters, and more popular than any before. He’d been hoping to find something special for himself now that he was going to Hogwarts. He’d thought it was his turn. But no. Not only was he evidently in Harry Potter’s year, his little sister had just Apparated into their compartment on the moving Hogwarts Express. Apparated!


He sighed and went back to staring out of the window. He couldn’t tease her for her obvious crush on Harry as Fred and George were doing. His heart just wasn’t in it. They had apparently been going to meet up with Lee Jordan and his tarantula — Ron shuddered involuntarily — but Ginny’s almost ridiculous display of accidental magic was far more interesting. He wondered if he would ever be recognised for something he did. It certainly didn’t look that way at the moment.




Fred and George Weasley had managed to keep serious expressions through their teasing for one minute, maybe two. But a lifetime of pranking couldn’t train you to keep a straight face in this situation. Ginny was sitting on the end of a bench that Harry Potter — the Boy Who Lived — was occupying. She was blushing so furiously she might as well have been some kind of warning beacon. They somehow managed to avoid the glances they were throwing each other. Ginny wanted to sit close to Harry, but was too embarrassed. Harry wanted to talk to Ginny or something, but didn’t want to make her more uncomfortable. Not that the twins were helping, but hey, who said Ginny’s romantic interests were their responsibility? They had a reputation to keep, not to mention this was the most hilarious thing they’d seen in years.


They were grinning so much it hurt, and with good reason. It didn’t really matter how long Ginny would be with them. This was going to be bloody brilliant.




This cannot be happening!’ Ginny thought. She wanted to hex Fred and George so badly. However, she was not producing any more accidental magic just then. Maybe the Apparating thing had drained her a bit, for she hadn’t even managed the stinging hex she’d accomplished four years ago. She still hadn’t a clue how it had happened. One moment she’d been in the car with her parents thinking of Harry Potter and her brothers, and then she’d felt the same way as when she’d been taken by Side-Along Apparition for the first time. There was an immense pressure on her from all sides, and then she was on the train. Just like that.


Her mother was going to be in a fit, but that was nothing compared to her situation right now. She was mere feet away from Harry Potter, and those two gits had to make it hell for her! She glanced back at the object of her dreams, and their eyes met. The stream of torment from the twins came to an abrupt halt, since they were practically rolling on the floor laughing. She didn’t take her brown eyes off his green ones. Then, a small smile crossed his face, and she ducked her head. She knew that her blushing was already pretty obvious, but it was more an involuntary move. She glanced back, and he was still gazing at her with a slightly wider smile. Her already racing heart took on an even more frantic pace.




Harry couldn’t believe how good life was without the Dursleys, his adoptive family. Or maybe it was how good life was with magic. He couldn’t tell, but he didn’t really care that much since he had both. He’d like to think he now had two friends, or close to that, in Ron and Hagrid, the giant of a man who’d rescued him from the Dursleys. He wasn’t too sure about Ron’s twin brothers, but they seemed good-natured enough. Then there was Ron’s sister. According to Fred and George, she had a huge crush on him, and this seemed to be true. Harry wasn’t complaining about the crush, but Fred and George’s teasing had been driving him mad. At least they’d stopped now. To be honest, he’d barely noticed her crush. He’d caught her looking at him, and she’d caught him, so she couldn’t blame him if he kept staring. She was ... pretty. There was something about her...


“Excuse me, have any of you seen a toad?” Some random girl had just turned up at the door. She turned up her nose at the twins clutching each other for support, and then looked at Ron. “You got some dirt on your nose, by the way. So — holy cricket, you’re Harry Potter!”


‘Enough with everyone oohing and aahing already,’ Harry thought, groaning. He'd been getting that sort of reaction for as long as he'd been amongst wizard folk. To be fair, that time summed up to about a day at this point, but it was already wearing on him.


Harry Potter was a remarkable 11 year old boy. It wasn't just because he was on a train to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (a train he had gotten to through a secret passage at King's Cross Station). Every man, woman and child in the magical world knew his name, and for a while, most had even celebrated an annual Harry Potter Day. They had done so because in the midst of all-out war, a time when the British wizard population was halved, a one year old boy had survived where thousands of trained wizards and civilians both magical and not had fallen. This child, targeted inexplicably by the insurgent Lord Voldemort, had been hit with the Killing Curse. The curse, which had slain both of Harry's parents, rebounded and destroyed Voldemort, leaving the infant boy with nothing but a conspicuous, lightning bolt shaped scar.


The highly recognisable scar was what was bringing all the blasted attention. It wasn't like he'd stood up at fourteen months old and told Voldemort where he could stick his wand. Something had happened that no one could explain, and that was ultimately what he was. Whether his uncle was beating him, his aunt was locking him in his cupboard under the stairs, or random people were writing about his so called achievement as this girl was telling him they had, it was always because he was a freak.


“No, we haven’t seen a toad,” he answered curtly.


The girl looked vaguely offended at his cutting her off like that, but she got the message. “Alright. Well, if you see one, a boy called Neville has lost his...”


Harry nodded vaguely at her then returned his attentions to Ginny. He knew that she wouldn’t be at Hogwarts this year, so he decided to make the most of what time she would be there.


“Hi,” he said to break the silence. “Um, they’re your and Ron’s brothers, right?”


“Yeah. The prats,” she replied. He grinned, and she smiled back.


Deciding that it wasn’t a good idea to go back to staring now that he’d started a conversation, he broke out of his reverie. “Well, that was pretty impressive. I mean, I don’t know much about magic, but I reckon it’s got to be pretty amazing to be able to teleport before you’ve even gone to Hogwarts.”


“Teleport? What’s that?”


“Oh, um, I don’t know what wizards called it. Muggles call disappearing from one place and appearing in another place teleporting. What do you call it?”


“Apparating. Why do they call it teleporting?”


Harry racked his brains, wanting to say something a bit more intelligent than ‘not a clue’. “Um... ports are places where ships and stuff come and go from, so it’s something to do with coming and going I guess. But what’s it like? It didn’t look much like the Muggle versions of teleporting.”


“Muggles can Apparate?” she looked half-shocked, half-awed despite the residual embarrassment.


“No, but they have teleporting in movies and television. There’s usually a big flash of light and then boom, they’re gone. I’m not sure how it works, because I don’t really get to watch movies much.” He felt his blush run up his neck, but ignored it. He wouldn’t tell anyone about the Dursleys if he could help it. He was going to start again at Hogwarts, where they couldn’t touch him.


“Wow. Dad mentioned movies once. Like a photo with sound, right?”


“Yeah, sound and movement.”


“Photos have movement.”


Harry squinted at her. Was she trying to take the mickey, or did photos in the wizarding world really move? “Um, Muggle photos don’t move.”


“Really? Magic ones do. So people just stay still in the Muggle ones?”


“Yeah.”


“Here, Harry, look,” Ron gave him a card out of one of the chocolate frogs they had gotten from the food trolley earlier. Ginny had provided ample distraction from food when she appeared ten seconds later. He stared at an image of Albus Dumbledore as it scratched its nose and readjusted its glasses.


“Wow.” He noticed Ginny was a bit closer now. He budged up a bit himself, and her blush reasserted itself. He just smiled at her, and she slid away until they were a normal distance from each other. It didn’t escape his notice that Fred and George had burst into laughter again, though they had managed to stay on the bench this time. “You’re right. They’re complete prats.”


She leaned in, grinning suddenly. “If you let me borrow your wand, I know a really useful hex,” she whispered.


He grinned back, “Alright.” He pulled his wand from his pocket and gave it to her. “Go on then, Ginny. Do your worst.”


She took the wand, and met his eyes briefly, but was unable to hold her composure, and had to quickly turn back towards the twins. “You two can thank Bill next time you see him,” she said. He watched as they turned slowly, comprehension dawning in their faces along with a definite horror. “Eruptus Nasus Chiroptera!” she cried.


Ron looked up from his cauldron cake in shock, while Harry watched in awe. Snot with bat-like wings was flying out of their noses and attacking their faces mercilessly. Yelling, they tore out of the compartment, no doubt to find their friend Lee Jordan. Harry’s glee, however, was cut short.


“Ah, so you’re Harry Potter, are you? I did wonder about your parents.” It was the blond boy from Madam Malkin’s. “I see your taste in company hasn’t changed much. I could help you there. The name’s Malfoy, Draco Malfoy.” He heard Ron snort, while Ginny looked like she wanted to start a fight. Seeing the bodyguard-like figures either side of Malfoy, Harry quickly stood in front of Ginny. “You think my name’s funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and hand-me-down robes? You two must be Weasleys. How did you afford the sweets? Did you have to save up all year?”


Ginny growled behind him, so he decided to step in sharpish. “I suggest you leave now, Malfoy,” he said. “Ginny here is very good with her hexes, and your friends look like they still need help with their shoelaces.”


Malfoy sneered, but left all the same. He couldn’t seem to resist a parting line, though. “You’ve made an enemy today, Potter. You’ll want to be careful, or you might meet the same sticky end as your parents.”


Harry growled this time, and though Ginny held the wand, it was Harry’s will that commanded it as it exploded with incredible light and sound. A bluish spell none of them recognised raced out of the door and hurled the three boys down the corridor. Ron jumped with shock at the noise, and ran to look at what became of the boys.


“And stay out!” Ginny laughed. He decided he liked her laugh quite a bit.


“Er, was that you or Harry that cast that spell?” Ron asked from the doorway.


“I think it was Harry,” Ginny said.


“Those three are going to need the Hospital Wing,” Ron half-groaned.


Getting up to see what Ron meant, Harry wasn’t sure whether to be amused or horrified. The three of them were jerking and twitching on the ground, blue crackles of electricity jumping between and over their bodies.


“That... looks familiar... So maybe it really is dangerous, then, the stuff Dad messes around with,” Ginny said to Ron, who nodded dumbly.


“What stuff?” asked Harry, who, unbeknownst to her, was picturing doing the same thing to Dudley Dursley, his fat bully of a cousin, and his gang over and over in his head.


“He messes around with loads of Muggle stuff for a hobby. Usually electrical things,” she elaborated.


“Well, unless he sticks his finger in a wall socket, or climbs a pylon, he should be fine.”


She looked completely baffled, so he went on to give them a quick lesson in electricity.




They had finally reached their destination. As he stepped out onto the platform behind Ginny, Harry was forcibly reminded of his uncle’s comments about a train being an odd form of transport to a magic school. There didn’t seem to be anything at all remarkable about this place. Then again, in this light he could barely make out the metal fencing on the side of the platform. He, Ginny and Ron followed Hagrid away from the station onto a winding path, which seemed pretty eerie in the dark. He walked a little closer to Ginny and Ron, and she smirked up at him. For some reason, he didn’t want to stop looking at her face. He could count the freckles, even in the dim wash from Hagrid’s lamp and the few lights along the path.


“Ye should ge’ yer firs’ look o’ the place any momen’,” Hagrid boomed. He saw Ginny gasp, and tore his eyes away, only to have them glued to another sight. There was no doubt in his mind that this was Hogwarts Castle and it was magnificent. There wasn’t any point in trying to describe it any further. You had to see it for yourself. He didn’t notice when Hagrid stopped. He only removed his eyes from the unbelievable future ahead of him when Ginny grabbed his hand. He’d wandered into a lake. Brilliant.


“Honestly, Harry, you have to look where you’re going.” She said as she blushed, obviously realising she was still holding his hand, but she didn’t let go.


“Yeah, mate,” Ron added. “Any further and the squid would’ve had you!” Harry stepped back out of the water.


“Squid?” they both asked, turning quickly to look at him.


“Yeah. Charlie told me there’s a Giant Squid in there.”


“Blimey...” Harry murmured.


“Yeah, I know.”


“If yer done tryin’ ter drown yerself, let’s all get in the boats, eh?” Hagrid called. “No more’n four to a boat!” Harry climbed in with Ron and Ginny. “Everyone in? FORWARD!” Hagrid was in a boat on his own, and no-one needed to row. Instead, the whole fleet floated towards the castle of their own accord. Ginny went to the front and turned so she was facing Ron and Harry. She was staring at him again. Harry wasn’t sure whether he was going to stare at the castle or her, so he stared at his knees instead.


“Alrigh’ everybody, duck!”


“What?” Ginny asked distractedly.


Harry dived forwards and pushed her over just as they went under a load of ivy and began travelling through a low brick tunnel. He scrambled back to the bench, grinning at her surprised expression. There was a muffled yelp as someone moved a little too slowly.


“Take tha’ as yer firs’ lesson,” Hagrid boomed. “Magic isn’t always gonna be playin’ nice with ye. Pay attention to the professors an’ ye’ll be fine. If ye’ don’t... We got a hospital wing.”


He heard Malfoy laughing somewhere behind. It seemed he’d recovered in the few hours since their coming together. He wondered if Malfoy would try to get him in trouble. He didn’t voice his concerns though. Ginny was looking at him in a way that made him feel distinctly uncomfortable. Ron was sniggering to himself about something or other, and Harry was quite glad when the boat stopped.


They clambered out, and followed Hagrid with everyone else, until they met a stern-looking woman at the castle’s main doors.


Her voice rang clear over the mutterings of the new students. “Miss Weasley? If you’ll follow me, please.”


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=128952