Forever Love by Pottermum



Summary: Time cannot stop the love story of Harry and Ginny. No matter what, they have a Forever Love.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Forever Love
Published: 2014.06.22
Updated: 2014.07.25


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 January 1999
Chapter 2: Chapter 2 August 29 2013
Chapter 3: Chapter 3 Sep 1-4
Chapter 4: Chapter 4 Oct 30
Chapter 5: Chapter 5 -November 2
Chapter 6: Chapter 6 November 20
Chapter 7: Chapter 7 December 5 and 13
Chapter 8: Chapter 8 December 21-Jan 1
Chapter 9: Chapter 9 January 1-10.
Chapter 10: Chapter 10 January 11
Chapter 11: Chapter 11 January 12-26
Chapter 12: Chapter 12 February 1
Chapter 13: Chapter 13 February 6-9
Chapter 14: Chapter 14 February 15
Chapter 15: Chapter 15 February 23
Chapter 16: Chapter 16 March 3
Chapter 17: Chapter 17 March 3-18
Chapter 18: Chapter 18 April 15
Chapter 19: Chapter 19 April 16
Chapter 20: Chapter 20 April 30
Chapter 21: Chapter 21 April 30-May 2
Chapter 22: Chapter 22 June 20-30
Chapter 23: Chapter 23 Epilogue


Chapter 1: Chapter 1 January 1999

Author's Notes: This plot bunny came one morning as my sister and I walked on the beach and I asked her how she thought Harry would cope after the Battle. This chapter is all me, my beta is currently working on my other story Power. If anyone is free to beta, please drop me a line.


Ch 1 January 1999

A frustrated Harry Potter checked his watch again. 'Where is Ginny?' he thought. He'd made it very clear to her last night as they'd gone over their plans once more. The train left at 10.05am and he was going to be on it, with her or without her. For him, there was no going back. He was leaving the wizarding world, with no intentions of returning any time soon.

After the Final Battle, after all the funerals, all the honours and all the rebuilding, there was Ginny. She instinctively seemed to know if he needed time to himself, someone just to sit with him, or someone to talk to, to unburden to. And sometime he just needed someone to hold him while he cried. He didn't think he would have made it through without her.

He hated the thought of them being apart during her last year at Hogwarts, and often found ways to sneak into the castle, or sneak her back to Grimmauld Place, just to be together. Their physical relationship had changed, and it just made Harry crave Ginny more.

He'd hoped that his Auror training would take up most of his time and energy. He pushed himself harder and harder, wanting to fall asleep at night without needing Dreamless Sleep potions, or firewhiskey. The nightmares were often, the loneliness hard, but being around people was hard, too.

The Weasleys tried so hard to be there for him, with Molly almost smothering him with motherly care and food. With Ginny and Hermione back at Hogwarts, Ron was the only child still at home, and even he found his mum oppressive. For reasons he didn't even know, Harry was hesitant to ask Ron to move in with him. Nearly a year alone with just the three of them made Harry want a little distance from them.

The only person that gave Harry any comfort, besides Ginny, was little Teddy Lupin. His Godson was the reason many a day that Harry even got out of bed. He liked to take Teddy out to give Andromeda a break, and he got quite good at looking after him. However, once he had left Teddy, he would return home, feeling guilty as to why he had no parents.

He was even getting discouraged being an Auror. He still found corruption in places, and for every criminal they caught, two more seemed to pop up. There were still Death Eaters unaccounted for, and not much effort was being made to find them, mostly due to the lack of Aurors available. The Ministry was rebuilding, but it was going to take time, maybe years. Harry didn't know if it was the right path for him or not. He decided to fire call Ginny, and see if he could send Kreacher to bring her to Grimmauld Place to talk, and maybe convince her to stay the night. He never had nightmares when she was with him.

However, Ginny wasn't in the common room when he fire called, but Hermione was. She told him Ginny had to study for a test the next day, and tried to discourage him from visiting her or sneaking her out. When he desperately responded that he needed her, Hermione looked disapproving and told him to get his baser urges under control. She then closed the fire, so he didn't even get a chance to see or talk to Ginny at all.

Ginny later told him that Hermione hadn't even told her Harry had called, that of course she would have come over. Harry just saw it as another chance of somebody taking advantage of him, of taking away his choices.

It was at that time, completely fed up with the lack of action with the Aurors, and the propaganda still being spread in the Daily Prophet about him, that the first thoughts of leaving the wizarding world, even for just a short time, started to take root. He thought he'd give himself a year at least, to get his thoughts in order, to deal with all he'd been through.

At Ginny's suggestion, and to appease Kingsley, Harry was undergoing therapy, and he found it interesting and helpful. His counsellor was in Muggle London so he planned to continue it, despite leaving.

The only downside was, how could he leave Ginny? He decided to tentatively talk to her about it when she was home from school for the Christmas holidays. She was shocked. She knew that Harry was having a hard time, but to leave? He told her he didn't want to be apart from her again, but he had to do this, he needed to get away. He also told her, for the first time, that he loved her, and that was reason enough for him to return.

Ginny thought long and hard for the rest of the day. The thought of being away from her family, of not seeing them for at least a year, was
heartbreaking, especially since the loss of Fred. However, Harry needed her, she knew that. She reasoned that she could still visit her family. In the end, there was no choice, she belonged with Harry. She told him she was going with him.

Harry perked up a lot at this, it was what he had secretly wanted, but didn't want to put any pressure on her. He told her they could spend the next couple of weeks planning things like where they would go, where they would stay and how they would get there.

As the days went on, Ginny's enthusiasm waned, as she didn't want to leave her family, but wanted to be with Harry. She'd been told she had a real shot at a Quidditch career, too, but a year away would be too hard to make up. Harry told her he was definitely going, no matter what, but he understood if she changed her mind.

They had agreed they would leave on January 10th. It was the date Ginny was due to return to Hogwarts. Molly had agreed to escort Ginny to Kings Cross, and leave her with Harry to take her through the barrier at Platform 9 ¾. There they could say their private goodbyes. Only, Harry and Ginny wouldn't go through the barrier, they would take another train that would take them far away. By the time the Hogwarts Express pulled in at Hogsmeade, and the alarm raised for Ginny's safety, Harry and Ginny would be far away. At 6pm, an owl was booked to deliver a letter to Molly and Arthur, explaining what they had done, and why.

So now Harry was waiting. He'd arrived at Kings Cross at 9.45am, anxious to get away. He'd seen Hermione arrive, but he hid from view, as she looked around for any familiar faces. Harry was relieved that Ron was unable to see Hermione off, so they'd said their last goodbyes at the family dinner at the Burrow the night before, Hermione then flooing home to spend her last night with her parents.

The Granger family were still adjusting to being back together, Hermione's decision to Obliviate them still a bone of contention to them. Hermione had spent all her holidays with them and Ron. Harry didn't really care.

Harry checked his watch again, the train was right there waiting. 10.02am. The Hogwarts Express had left two minutes ago. Where is she? Had she, could she have changed her mind? Surely she would have owled him.

10.03am. Harry had to get on board. He would get a window seat, where he could look out, hopefully to see her running on to the platform at the last minute. The Weasleys were never on time for the train, he remembered. He took his seat, and kept a vigil out the window.

10.04am. His heart was pounding, he didn't think he could do this without Ginny. It was now or never, was he going, or was he getting off the train?

The doors closed. Harry could feel the train slowly take off. His eyes stayed on the platform, willing his Ginny to come running. He didn't know how, but he would find a way to stop the train. 'Please Ginny, please come,' he thought.

The train pulled away from the station, picking up speed, taking Harry Potter away from Kings Cross Station, and away from the wizarding world.

He would get off at his chosen location a couple of hours later, get some take away food, find a cheap motel, and the emotional exhaustion would let him fall asleep straight away. As the motel didn't come with a television, he missed the news that an attack had taken place at Kings Cross station at 10.07 am. The reports gave no reason for the attacks, or who claimed responsibility.

Back in the wizarding world, the calm they had grown to rely on since the Final Battle was gone. A couple of Death Eaters had attacked Kings Cross, but why? The only one who might have a clue was Ginny Weasley, but she'd been unconscious for a week. Why had she missed the Hogwarts Express? Where was Harry Potter? Her shrunken bag had been found on her unconscious body, and shown to be full of the rest of her wardrobe from home. Was she running away? Molly and Arthur spent a week long vigil at her bed, along with her brothers.

Nothing could have prepared them for what Ginny would say when she finally woke up. She had been leaving with Harry, when she had been stopped by Dolohov and Goyle Snr. They had dragged her through the barrier and hid. They had been waiting for her to say goodbye to Harry, and planned to grab him. They had waited as the Hogwarts Express had left, but there was no sign of Harry. This unnerved them. Ginny knew she was running out of time, but they wouldn't let her go. Ginny struggled, finally turning around to slug Goyle in the face, and using her wand to do her bat bogey hex. She ran back through the barrier and down to the platform, in time to see Harry's train turn a bend, taking him away from her.

“Nooooo,” she cried, kicking a dustbin.

“The next train to that destination is in an hour if that helps, dearie,” said an elderly lady, walking past.

“Thank you,” said Ginny. She had a bit of Muggle money on her, she just hoped it was enough to buy a ticket. Then she would find Harry, and they could start their life together. First however, she needed to alert someone that the Death Eaters were around Kings Cross.

She went to leave the station, when she saw the two wizards. They spotted her at the same time. Ginny hesitated to draw her wand in front of so many Muggles. That hesitation cost her, as the two Death Eaters had no care for Muggles.

“Impedimenta! Bombarda!” they cried. Ginny felt the heat of the explosion and the smell of the blood and fear. It reminded her of the Final Battle. People were screaming, pushing against each other to get out of the station. A final yell of “Bombasta!” had walls crumbling around them, as part of the station was destroyed. Debris rained down, pinning and crushing many people. Ginny heard a final “Reducto”, then everything went black.








Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2 August 29 2013

Author's Notes: A big jump in time.


Chapter 2 August 29, 2013

Eleven year old Jay Evans cringed as his mother stood over him yelling. He didn't think she could yell any louder than she had when he had been suspended from school, but he was wrong. 'Guess that's what being brought home in a police car can show you,' he thought.

She'd been saying the same thing over and over for half an hour now, and even bringing up the reason for his suspensions. He'd heard it all before, sometimes he felt like he'd been hearing it all his life. For some reason, trouble seemed to follow him, and unfortunately for him, he always got caught.

“Mum, listen, will you just let me-”

“No Jay, there's nothing you could say to me that will make any of this right.. Honestly, being brought home in a police car? What will the neighbours think? This has got to stop, do you understand?”

“Mum, it wasn't my fault, honest, I was just-”

“It's never your fault, Jay. How do you think this reflects me and your father? I'm a school teacher and your father is a highly respected social worker, and here is our delinquent son. Two suspensions and now a warning from the police! I just don't know what to do with you any more. Why, Jay? You have been getting worse, especially since the divorce. Is this your way of trying to get your father and me back together, or just a cry for attention,hmm?”

“No, it's nothing like that. I don't need attention, I'm fine by myself.”

“Well then, is it because you don't have any friends? It's not natural, you know, to not have friends.”

“They don't understand,” mumbled Jay.

“Don't mumble under your breath, young man. You can consider yourself grounded next weekend. I mean it, no television, no computer, no leaving this house. You will have a list of chores to get through, and if you get them done, I'll find more for you to do.”

“I'll be at dad's,” said Jay defiantly.

“Your dad has to go away for a conference, and it will include the weekend. He was going to tell you this weekend.”

'Great,' thought Jay, scowling.

“Get that look of your face, young man, and go upstairs and get your things ready. Your dad will be here soon.”

“Already? It's early for him,” said Jay.

“I had to call him out of his meeting when I had the call from the police. He had a couple of things to finish up, but he said he'd be here soon. He's not happy, Jay.”

“All right, I get it, I'm the dumbest kid ever, and you're all disappointed with me, I get it. I'll be in my room waiting for dad. Can't get in too much trouble there, can I?” said Jay, storming off.

A knock at his door ten minutes later proved to be his dad, with a tired smile on his face. Jay knew his dad worked long hours in a hard job, and felt a pang of regret for causing more trouble for his dad. However, the feeling passed as he walked past his mum who was waiting near the door, arms folded and toes tapping, a grim look on her face.

“Well?” she said with a look at both her ex husband and her son.

Jay felt his dad put a hand on his shoulder and guide him through the front door.

“I'll bring him back Sunday at 6pm,” he said.

“That's it? It has to stop. You need to talk to him again. This unnaturalness has to stop!”

Jay felt his father stop, and he turned back to look at his dad. He had never seen that look on his dad's face before.

“What did you say?” his dad quietly asked. The coldness in his voice even stopped his mum from the tirade she was about to give his dad.

“You know what I'm talking about?” she stuttered. He stared at her, and she fidgeted nervously.

His dad took a step forward, then stopped and turned back to her. “That, er delivery I've been expecting, did it arrive?”

His mum shook her head. His dad turned back to him and they left the house, getting into the car.

“What do you want for tea, son?” asked his dad.

“Maccas?” Jay asked hopefully.

His dad chuckled. “Sure, whatever the condemned man wants for his last meal, right? Let's go.”

They got the meal as a take away and went to his dad's to eat. Jay put his bag in his room, and came out as his dad was setting out cans of drinks and napkins. Jay sat at the table watching him. Soon, they were both all munching on burgers and fries. Jay let out a belch as he finished, scratching his belly contentedly. His dad raised an eyebrow at him.

“Scuse me,” Jay said. His dad nodded. Jay stood up to pack away all the cartons their meal had come in. He put the rubbish in the bin in the kitchen and returned to the lounge where his dad was.

“Dishes done,” he said triumpahntly. His dad chuckled, then his face turned impassive. 'His work face', thought Jay. As a social worker mostly dealing with abused and abandoned children, his dad saw a lot of shitty things.

“What happened today, Jay?” asked his dad.

“I was at the mall, just, you know, going from shop to shop. I didn't have much money but the new game came out today, and I wanted to check it out. So, I was just roaming around. I was headed home, and I decided to take the short cut, you know, behind the mall. I saw a couple of older guys from my school there, they were picking on this homeless guy. He wasn't doing anything dad, it looked like he was living out there. Anyway, these guys, they were picking up his stuff and throwing it around. The man was begging them to stop, but they wouldn't. Why did they do that to him, Dad?” Jay asked.

His dad looked sad. “I don't know why there are people who feel they need to hurt people who are less fortunate than they are. I've seen it all my life. They are bullies, it's as simple as that. What did you do?”

“Well, I yelled at them to leave him alone, that he wasn't hurting anyone. They just laughed at me, and one even kicked him. I could feel myself getting madder and madder. Then the other one picked up a cat, you know, by the scruff of his neck. The cat was miaowing something fierce, and the man was yelling at them to leave his cat alone, well they just got worse.”

“Bastards!” cursed his dad, under his breath.

Jay took a breath. This was the part that he knew would be his downfall. The police didn't believe him, and his mum had stopped believing him when he told her of similar things years ago. His dad, however, had always said he believed him.

“I took some steps closer. The one with the cat was swinging it. The man was crying, Dad. I was really scared, but more mad, really. Then they threw the cat. I-I...” Jay didn't think he could go on.

His dad came over to sit next to him, and he put his arm around his shoulders. “You can tell me anything Jay, and I will believe you. Please, tell me what happened next.”

Jay looked at his dad, right into his brown eyes. They were so different to vibrant green eyes. In his dad's eyes he saw trust and compassion.

He took a breath.
I yelled out and held my arms out, as if I was going to catch it, the cat, I mean. I don't know why, it was just instinct. It was stupid, cos they were metres away from me, and they threw it in the other direction. I-I don't know how, but the cat came straight to me, and landed in my arms. I put it down cos it was scratching, it was pretty scared, I think. Next thing I know, the guys were headed for me. I held my hands out again, trying to get them to stop, and they did. It was like, an invisible barrier stopped them from getting to me. They were banging against it, calling me names, telling me they were going to get me and beat me up. I was pretty scared, Dad.”

His dad looked shaken, but all he said was “Go on.”

“I put my hands down, and I don't know, the barrier must have fallen away cos they came after me. They-they were calling me 'freak' and stuff, I started to run back to the mall but I tripped and fell. I was face down, but they got to me and flipped me over. I-I don't know what happened, I just kind of wished they would go away, and next thing I know, they were blown backwards and up a tree. I don't know how it happened dad, honest. I just wanted them to leave me and the man with the cat alone.”

“What did you do next?” asked his dad quietly.

I went back to the mall, and to the bathroom. I had some blood on my face from when I tripped, so I cleaned it up. Then I went to the grocery store, and I used my money to buy the man a bit of food and drink, and some food for the cat. He was pretty happy. The cat was fine, thank goodness. He-he thanked me for helping him. I told him about the church around the corner, you know, the one that has soup nights and gives out blankets, the one you told me about. I hope he goes there.”

“Oh Jay,” sighed his dad, hugging him.

“Do you believe me, Dad?” His dad nodded.

“ Why doesn't Mum?” His dad looked pained at this question. Jay continued.

“She thinks I'm doing this for attention. Or because I've got no friends. Or because of the divorce. Or to make her look bad. Or-”

“Ok, ok, I get the picture. I just, oh Jay, there's something we need to talk about. It will explain why you do these things that you can't explain. I haven't told you before because your mum didn't want me to. I knew it was a mistake, but well, you know things haven't been great with me and your mum for a long time, and this was just one more thing to fight about. I-I've actually been waiting for a letter, and was going to tell you about it all then, but the letter never arrived.”

“A letter? Wait!” Jay's heart was pounding as he went into his room and went through his duffel bag. He found what he was looking for and took it back into the lounge, where his dad awaited him.

His dad paled as he saw what his son was holding.

“When did you get that?” he asked.

Jay shrugged. “I don't know. Last week I asked Mum for some lunch money and she told me to go look in her purse in her room for some cash. I knocked over a box and this letter was in it. The funny writing on the front caught my eye, then I saw it was addressed to me. It's sealed at the back, you know, like in olden times. I-I didn't want to ask Mum, she was mad at me for something or other, so I brought it to ask you. Is this the letter you have been waiting for?”

His dad nodded, taking the letter and looking at it. It was addressed to Mr James Evans, 7 Sunbury Grove, Camden.

Jay's dad smiled sadly, remembering all the drama when he got his Hogwarts letter. His uncle going crazy, the boat ride out to the island, Hagrid arriving with a birthday cake. It seemed like a lifetime ago. In a way, it was.

He looked at his son.

“Jay, you're a wizard.”







Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3 Sep 1-4

Author's Notes: Still un beta-d, it's all me.


Ch 3 Sep 1st and beyond

With a calmness he really wasn't feeling, Henry Evans showed his son how to slip through the magical barrier to Platform 9 ¾.. So many memories came rushing back as he walked with his hand on his son's shoulder. He wished he had more time to explain the wizarding world to his son, but really, he would have needed at least month to explain everything he felt his son needed to know. He cursed his ex-wife for not telling him about the letter, he had told her to expect it and that there was no way to stop it. Now he was sending his son off to Hogwarts as unprepared as he had been all though years ago.

It had been a crazy couple of days. He had sat up till midnight with Jay, explaining about magic and the wizarding world. He felt it was like cramming for a test. They'd made quick work of going to Diagon Alley for Jay's things, a wand, his books, robes. He had debated whether to get him an owl, or another familiar. In the end, Jay had picked an owl. With a pang Henry remembered Hedwig, long gone. Memories of his first train ride came thick and fast, of a bushy haired girl looking for a toad named Trevor, and later owning a cat named Crookshanks. Of a red head with a pet rat named Scabbers, and a sister running after the train, as it pulled out of Kings Cross Station. A sister who-

“Dad, I-I think it's time I got on board,” said Jay, nervously. They had handed his luggage over to the stewards, and were now walking to the carriage he was to board. He saw other kids, some looking as nervous as he felt. Some looked confident and happy, they seemed to be the ones with older siblings. Nearly all of them were saying goodbye to their parents, some had already boarded.

He turned to face his dad. He gulped, trying not to cry. He'd gone home yesterday with his dad to his mum's house, letting his dad explain things to his mum while he packed his things. He heard yelling and crying. He sat on his bed, waiting for it all to go quiet, although sometimes that was even worse. He looked around his room. He would be home for Christmas, but it was the longest he had ever gone without seeing his mum and dad. He never thought he would be going off to boarding school, let alone a magical one.

In a way, it was a relief to know there were reasons he could do those 'weird' things, and his dad told him he felt the same when he was 11. He told Jay of the time he went to the zoo and set a snake on his cousin.. How his aunt had given him a horrible haircut and the next morning it had grown back shaggy as normal.

“All aboard!” cried the conductor.

Jay and his dad looked at each other, then his dad pulled him close for a hug. Jay hugged his dad so tight, for an instant he wanted to tell his dad to take him home. However his dad pulled away and leaned down to tell him quietly-

“Goodbye, son. Believe it or not, these will be some of the best times of your life. These other kids, they are just like you. If you have any troubles, there are prefects and teachers you can talk to, or even the Head Mistress. She's tough, but fair. And if you need me for anything, you send me an owl. I will always be there for you. I love you, son.”

“Love you too, Dad,” Jay said, hugging him even tighter.

He let go, and without looking back, boarded the train and sat in the first empty carriage he came to.
He felt the train pull away and looked out the window. His dad was there, waving at him. He waved back, feeling both sad and anxious.

As the train puffed away, the carriage door opened and a girl poked her head in.

“Oh hello, I didn't think anyone was here. Is it ok if I sit with you? I wanted to get away from my prat cousins for a bit.”

Jay nodded, pleased to have someone to talk to. “Hi, I'm Jay.”

“I'm Abigail, but everyone calls me Abby. I can't believe we're finally going, can you? I've been hearing about Hogwarts practically forever. I was so worried I wouldn't get my letter, don't know why? Both my parents are magical, what about yours?” she asked, sitting on the seat opposite him.

“Dad's a wizard, and Mum's a — what do you call the normal people? Mu-”

Abby laughed. “Well, us magical people think we are the normal ones, and the others, well, they're called Muggles. So your mum is a Muggle. How did she take it?”

Jay smiled. “We only got my letter two days ago, until then I had no idea there was even a magical world. My dad's been filling my head non stop these last two days with everything he thinks I need to know. Half the stuff I don't know whether he's pulling my leg or what? Staircases that move? Dungeons, Centaurs, Giants, Giant Squid. A game called Kiddish played on broomsticks?”

“Wait, you've never heard of Quidditch? That's just, just nuts!” exclaimed Abby. “ Have you ever flown?”

Jay shook his head, suddenly feeling inadequate. Abby must have sensed this, for she came to sit next to him and picked up his hand.

“It's okay. I've flown heaps of times, I'll help you. With flying, with magic, anything. I hope we'll be in the same house. I want to be in Gryffindor, what about you?”

Jay nodded, “Same. My dad was in Gryffindor, so it would be great to be in the same house as him, but he told me all houses were good.”

“My mum told me the same. Both my parents were in Gryffindor, in fact all of my mum's family were there, too. It's just some of my cousins that are in different houses. Hey, I wonder if your dad knew my mum and dad?”

Jay shrugged. “Dunno, I didn't know he was a wizard either till 2 days ago. He said he left the wizarding world after 'the Battle,' whatever that means. He said there was a big war, and although the good side won, he'd had enough of magic. He didn't intend to be away forever, but he made a good life for himself and never went back.”

Abby giggled, “I bet it was a shock then, coming back after all this time. I guess you kind of forced him to come back. I know about the war, my mum's family was really involved in it. I didn't really understand much when I was younger but we've talked more about it, especially since I got my letter.”

Jay smiled, grateful for her understanding. “Why did they tell you about the war when you were younger, how could you understand?”

“My mum started an orphanage, mainly for kids whose parents were killed during the war. Now we take any kids who have lost their parents. My mum's whole family are involved in that too, and us kids get to go and help out, and we play with the other kids there. One of my best friends lives at the orphanage. Hey, could I borrow your owl sometime, I promised to send Annie a letter once I got here. She'll be so thrilled to get an owl bringing her a letter.”

“Sure, no problems. I'll write to my dad, too,” said Jay.

The two new friends smiled at each other, and they spent the rest of the train ride discussing all the things about Hogwarts. Abby was a well of information, as she had a couple of older cousins who had been at Hogwarts for a couple of years.

“Oh, and my godbrother! He's in Ravenclaw, like his mum; she died in the Final Battle, along with his dad,” said Abby.

“Godbrother?” asked Jay.

“Well, I don't know if you really call it that, but my mum is his godmother, and he's like a brother to me, so godbrother! His name is Teddy Lupin, he's great. I'll introduce you to him when we get there,” said Abby.


Two days later, after a long day at work, Henry Evans was sitting down to a quick microwave dinner and was preparing to do a multitude of paperwork when he heard a tapping at the window.
He looked around to see Jay's owl at the window, and he hurried over to let him in. He flew in circles, before proudly offering a leg with a letter attached.

“First delivery, eh buddy?” cooed Henry, stroking the owl on the head. He hooted, waiting expectantly. Henry's face fell.

“Oh, I'm sorry, I sent all the owl treats with Jay. I don't have any here,” said Henry. The owl hooted remorsefully and shook his head. Henry laughed, this little guy had character.

“Sorry, I'll make sure I have some next time,” he yelled as the owl took flight. Henry watched him go, heading back to Hogwarts and his son. He hurried back to where he had left the letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

Sorry it's taken me two days to write, there's just been so much to do, and I knew you would want to know everything. Guess what, I'm in Gryffindor! I know you said it didn't matter which house I was in, but I'm glad it's Gryffindor. I met a really nice girl on the train and she's in Gryffindor, too. Her name is Abby Wood. She's got a really big family and she's known about Hogwarts forever. Turns out everything you told me is true, sorry I didn't believe you, Dad.

The lessons have been interesting, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hasn't done magic before. I really like Potions and Charms. I'm not sure about Herbology yet, but Professor Longbottom is my favourite teacher so far. He's also the head of Gryffindor. I nearly fell asleep in History of Magic, the teacher is soooooooo boring! Tomorrow is my first Defense against the Dark Arts lesson and my first flying lesson. Abby has promised to help me with flying on the weekend, she's been flying since she was really little, and both her parents played Quidditch professionally. I really can't wait to fly.

Oh, how could I forget, Hagrid says hello. He invited me and Abby to come down and have tea in his cabin. He has the biggest pumpkin patch I ever saw!

Also, I finally found a name for my owl. We had our Astronomy lesson and did you know there is a star called the dog star? You know I've always wanted a dog, but you and Mum always said no. Well, I decided to call my owl Sirius. Isn't that a good compromise?

Well I should go and send Sirius off to deliver this letter. Abby is going to borrow him tomorrow to send a letter to her mum, and he'll probably need a good night sleep. Hope you could give him some owl treats.

I'm doing really good, Dad. I've got friends already, Abby introduced me to her Godbrother, Teddy Lupin, he's older than us, but he's really cool. Plus she's got some cousins here. I really feel like I fit in here. Please tell Mum that. Should I send her an owl? Please ask her.

Love Jay.

PS Did you know Harry Potter was in Gryffindor? Abby and I are proud to be in the same house as him. Is it weird my best friend is a girl? Bye.

Henry Evans read and re-read the letter many times. So many memories, so many names that were familiar. They belonged to Harry Potter, a name that he had done well to forget. He was glad to hear his son had met his Godson Teddy, and he wondered if Abby was the daughter of his former captain Oliver. It seemed likely. Henry/Harry couldn't believe Jay had named his owl Sirius! Talk about coincidence! With no mention of any Weasley's, he didn't know if he felt relief or worry.

Henry/Harry sat drinking whiskey and contemplating his life, both old and new. He had a feeling the two were on a collision course, and he worried about the fall out.
________________________________

The next day, the little owl made it's way to Godric's Hollow. A tap on the kitchen window got a quick response as the lady of the house opened the window to let him fly in.

“Well hello, little one. Aren't you a cutie?”

The owl hooted in agreement. She laughed, and got a saucer of water and a couple of owl treats. The owl hooted appreciatively. The lady laughed again.

“You're very welcome. Do you have a letter for me?”

The owl held out it's foot, and allowed the lady to stroke the feathers on his breast. If he was a cat he would have purred, instead he hooted and bumped his head against the lady's hand. He spread his wings, ready for the flight home.

“Goodbye, little one, I hope I see you again,” she called. His wings dipped as if he was waving goodbye.

She sat at the table, having just made herself a cup of tea before the owl's arrival. She'd been waiting for news from her daughter, scanning the sky anxiously. She opened the letter and started to read.

Dear Mum,

I'm in Gryffindor! I know you said it didn't matter, but I really wanted to be in the same house as you and Dad. I had a really good trip on the train, and made a friend. His name is Jay, you wouldn't believe it, he only found out he was a wizard two days before we left! He also found out his dad is a wizard too. He left the wizarding world after the Final Battle. Jay is in Gryffindor too, and I promised to help him with our lessons, especially flying, starting this weekend. He's never flown or anything, and he hadn't even heard of Quidditch! Guess that's hard to believe in our family, right!

I'm enjoying our lessons, so far we've had Astronomy, Herbology, Potions and Charms. We have some of our lessons with the Slytherins, they seem okay. We had History of Magic, you were right, Mum, our teacher is soooooooo boring. Uncle Neville, oops, Professor Longbottom says hello, so far he's mine and Jay's favourite teacher. Tomorrow, or today when you get this letter, we have Defense against the Dark Arts and our first flying lesson. I remember what you told me, Mum, I'll let the teacher tell me what to do, even though I've been flying forever.

Oh, I nearly forgot, Hagrid says hello, too. Jay and I went to his cabin for tea, we had lots of fun, he was telling us stories of you and Uncle Ron, Auntie Hermione and Harry Potter.

I met up with Teddy our first night, at the Welcoming Feast. Jay thinks he's really cool. He also met Vicki, Domi, Freddie and Lucy. He can't believe how big our family is, he's got no cousins or brothers and sisters. We sort of adopted each other, he's my best friend, even if he is a boy. Ha ha, he read this over my shoulder and poked me.

I've got to finish up, Mum, I've still got a foot of parchment to write for Astronomy homework. By the way, it was in Astronomy that Jay came up with the name for his owl. I'd just gone to check on Bolt; he'd got into a fight with one of the other cats. (Hagrid said he will be fine.) Jay was telling me he always wanted a dog but his parents always said no. So we went to Astronomy, and we learnt there is a dog star named Sirius. I looked at Jay, and he looked at me, and we just knew it was the perfect name for his owl. Isn't Sirius a little cutie? Jay said I could use him any time I wanted.

I miss you, Mum, but Christmas will be here soon. You know that's my favourite time of the year. Do you think Jay could come over to our house sometime in the holidays. He's staying with his Muggle mum the first week, then his dad the second week, his parents are divorced. Please, please, please! Ha ha, even Jay says please!

I really have to go, Mum. Please say hi to Nana and Grandpa, all my aunties and uncles and cousins. I'm sending a letter to Annie at the weekend, and I'll to write you again too.

Love you lots,
Abby


Abby's mum folded up the letter and tucked it into her bag, ready to take to the Burrow later that day. She knew her Mum would be anxious to hear how all her grandchildren at Hogwarts were doing, especially the one's just starting. This year it was just Abby going for her first year, but soon after every year would have many Weasley's starting together.

She was glad her daughter had made a best friend, and was happy to have her friend over after Christmas. Maybe she should write a letter introducing herself to her daughter's friend's dad.
'Mmmm, maybe after her next letter or two', she decided.

She thought about the little owl that had delivered the letter. 'Sirius? Such a coincidence,' she thought, smiling sadly as she thought of a man, of a friend long gone.

She got up and put her cup in the sink. She gathered her cloak, her broomstick and her bag and went to the fireplace. She took some floo powder out and clearly said-

“Grimmauld Place,” and stepped into the flames and was gone.







Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4 Oct 30

Author's Notes: Yet again, no beta. Thanks for the reviews and thanks for reading.


Ch 4 Oct 30

Dear Mum,

Thanks so much for sending me new quidditch gloves, I can't believe Bolt chewed through mine, the little rascal. We had Head Mistress McGonogall for a lesson, and Jamie and I were running late. We thought we were in for it, for sure, but she wasn't even there, (we thought!) We snuck in, there was a tabby cat sitting on the desk, then it jumped and turned into the Head Mistress. It was wicked Mum. I really can't wait to do Transfiguration.

Gryffindor lost to Hufflepuff in our second game. I saw the Snitch heaps of times before our Seeker did. I was itching to get on my broom and fly out there and get it. I know you were a Chaser and Dad, a Keeper, but I really think I want to be a Seeker. Are you mad?

I really love DADA, it's my favourite lesson. Jamie is really good at it, too but he likes Potions and Charms the best.

Have you talked to Jamie's Dad yet about Christmas hols yet? Jamie said his Dad told him he was going to get in touch with you, to work something out. Please let us know when it's worked out, there's so many things I want to show him, we need to know how much time we have together.

I'm sending a letter to Nana, but please wish her a Happy Birthday again from me, and give her a hug. I get a bit sad when I think of you all at the Burrow having one of Nana's famous meals. Still, the food here is pretty good (never as good as Nana's!) and I have Jamie here, so that makes me happy.

We are having a big Halloween Feast tomorrow night, which reminded me of what we would usually do for Halloween if I was home. Will you please light a candle for me at Godric's Hollow Church for James, Lily and Harry Potter? I know you get a bit sad on that day Mum, I will be thinking of you.

Lot of Love,
Abby.

PS I probably should have told you Jamie and I got detention. We had gone to the Forbidden Forrest, only because Hagrid wasn't home and we heard a noise, like honking. Turned out to be a Muggle car, a blue Ford Anglia, but it had been modified to fly. Didn't Grandpa have one like that?
Or was it Uncle Ron?
Bye.

Abby's mum smiled as she read the letter. She chuckled as she thought about McGonogall transforming into a cat. 'Still pulling that stunt,” she thought fondly.

Her daughter was quite good at quidditch, not surprising considering her parentage. She didn't care what position she played, as long as she was happy. She seemed to be, judging by her letters. Her friendship with Jamie (when did Jay become Jamie, she wondered) was stronger than ever and she was doing well in her lessons.

The end of her daughter's letter made her think of her plans for the next day. It was Halloween. As Abby had said, since she and Abby had moved to Godric's Hollow, they had gone to the little church for a service and to light a candle for the Potter family. Tomorrow she would go alone.

For tonight, she had to get to the Burrow to celebrate her Mum's birthday.


Dear Dad,

How are you? I'm doing good, except Abby, Scor and I got a detention. We went down to visit Hagrid but there was no sign of him. It was a nice day (for October!) so we decided to hang around. We heard a honking noise so we went to investigate. We had to go into the Forbidden Forrest, we were really worried Hagrid was in trouble but it just turned out to be a Muggle car. A Ford Anglia, if you can believe it! Hagrid told me that Harry Potter and his best friend flew in it from Kings Cross Station to Hogwarts. I think his best friend is some relation of Abby's Mum, but Hagrid only told me about that. We had to polish the silver in the trophy room, without using magic. It took us forever! We saw an award that Harry Potter and Abby's Uncle Ron had received for Special Services to the School. Abby's going to ask her Mum what he got it for. Sorry I got in trouble, Dad.

Abby's still helping me loads, especially with flying, so is Scor. I love it, I really like being a Chaser. Madame Hooch says I have a good arm and good aim. Guess all those hours shooting hoops at school in the hols helped. I did have a fall while we were flying, lucky I landed on my head, ha ha! Abby took me to the Hospital wing but I didn't have to stay over night.

It's the big Halloween Feast here tomorrow night, Abby, Scor and I can't wait. The food here is amazing, although Abby says her Nana makes the best food ever. I tried some treacle tart, Dad, it's so good! Have you tried it? Abby says her Nana will make me one when I go to stay with her.
I know you don't really like Halloween, but Dad, the pumpkins here are huge. Hagrid does an amazing job with them.

Have you contacted Abby's mum yet? Will you please let us know when you do? Abby's got so much she wants to show me, so we need to know how much time we will have. We're hoping to meet up with Scor too, that's Scorpius Malfoy, he's become a good friend of Abs and me.

It's going to be so strange coming home and staying at a Muggle house now. I understand that I have to stay at Mum's till Christmas Day, so that's the 21-25th at Mums, then with you/Abby 26-4th January. There's so many things I want to talk to you about, Dad.

Thanks for forwarding on my letters to Mum. I've only had one reply from her, I think she's feeling a bit left out, so I plan to talk to her about Hogwarts lots while I'm with her. I even have a couple of photos, she'll be blown away that they move. My favourite is the one of me, Abs and Scor.

Gotta go, Dad, Abs and Scor are waiting for me to go outside. Remind me to tell you about Head Mistress McGonogall turning into a cat! So wicked!

Love
Jay

PS Dad, when I fell and Abby helped me up, she was touching my head, then she put her hand on my cheek. It felt really strange but in a good sort of way. It made me feel kind of jumpy when I saw her next. Things are back to normal, most of the time, but sometimes, I still get a funny feeling when I see her, sort of like butterflies in my stomach. Scor says it's a crush, but Abs is my best friend. You can't have a crush on your best friend, can you? Can we talk about this when I get home?

PPS PLEASE don't forget to send an owl to Mrs Wood, she's waiting to hear from you. She lives in a little wizard town called Godric's Hollow, Hagrid assured me you would know where it was.
Bye.


Henry Evans folded the letter carefully. His son, friends with a Malfoy! Talk about your irony.
Good old Hagrid, assuring his son that he would know where Godric's Hollow is. It would be nice to go back and see the town, though.

He was more and more convinced that Abby's mum was his Ginny. No, he thought, not his Ginny any more. She'd gone on and got married and had a child, just like him. Although he doubted she'd gotten married for the reasons he did.

He pulled out some parchment, deciding to get it over with. He would go to Godrics Hollow, and meet Mrs Wood, then he would go to Diagon Alley and pick up a few things, 'including owl treats' he thought with a smile. Sirius had taken to nipping him if he had no treats.

He pondered on Jay's last comment. 'You can't have a crush on your best friend, can you?' Jay had asked. Henry remembered a small red haired girl, putting elbows in butter dishes and blushing furiously. He remembered Ron belching up slugs after Draco had called Hermione a Mudblood.

His son was only 11, but he obviously needed to have 'the Talk' with him, or at least, an age appropriate version. He'd let Jay ask questions and that would determine how much he told him.







Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5 -November 2

Author's Notes: The validation on chapter 3 was so quick I thought I'd put up 4 and 5 together. Still un beta-d.


Ch 5 November 2

“Hello, is anybody there? Mrs Woods?” called Henry.

“Hi, I'm just in the middle of something Mr Evans, please come through, I'm in the kitchen,” called Abby's mum.

Henry came through the floo into a small lounge area. It was cosy but not very big. He could hear movement in the other room, so he made his way towards the noise. A hauntingly familiar flowery smell invaded his senses, and even before he stepped into the room, he knew who he would find there.

Her back was to him, checking something in the wall oven. She seemed satisfied, and fiddled with the dials. Suddenly, he knew she knew he was there. He saw her back stiffen and she turned slowly.

He thought he had prepared himself to see her, but he was wrong. He felt like his heart was leaping out of his chest. She was 32 years old now, and she had never looked lovelier. Her hair, her glorious red hair was a bit shorter now, and styled in layers. Her body was trim, it was obvious she had been an athlete. Her chest was slightly bigger than he remembered, then blushed a bit as he realised what he was looking at.

“Ahem, Mr Evans, my eyes are here,” said Ginny Wood. Henry's eyes shot up, and he found himself looking into cool brown eyes. Brown eyes that used to be full of love for him. When he was Harry Potter.

“Mrs Wood, it's so good to meet you. Your daughter Abby has been a great friend to my son Jay.”

“Yes, I believe they first met on the train going to Hogwarts. Funny how friendships can start off that way. My brother met his best friend the same way,” replied Ginny. “Cup of tea?”

Henry nodded, watching her get a couple of cups from a cupboard. She moved gracefully and confidently, taking a tray out of the oven. A kettle whistled and she poured the water into the teapot, letting it steep while her muffins cooled.

“Abby told me that Jamie only realised he was a wizard a couple of days before they left for Hogwarts. How is that possible?” asked Ginny curiously.

“Jay's mother refused to accept the possibility he was a wizard, and she kept his Hogwarts letter a secret,” said Henry.

Ginny handed him a cup of tea and offered him a muffin, which he took.

“Jay tells me you and your husband played professional quidditch. That must have been amazing.”

“Yes, he played for Puddlemere United and I was a Holyhead Harpy.”

“Is that how you met, at a match?” asked Henry.

“Well, kind of, I mean, of course we played against each other, but he was a friend of my brothers from school. It was only when we were both on the winning English side in the World Cup that we got closer,” said Ginny.

“I kind of heard that you went out with Harry Potter, too,” said Henry, fishing for information.

Ginny stiffened. “Are you a reporter, Mr Evans?” she asked, her tone now frosty.

“What, no, I-I just heard something, that's all,” stammered Henry, surprised at her reaction.

“Well let me tell you this, I don't talk about Harry Potter to anybody but those that know him well, and most of those are members of my family. Understand?”

“Yes, yes look, I'm sorry if I've upset you, I've been away from the wizarding world a long time, when I left, Harry Potter was a hero,” explained Henry.

“He IS a hero, he will always be a hero. He just never wanted to be a hero. I-I-please excuse me for a minute,” said Ginny, leaving the room in a rush.

Henry drank his tea, worried that he had upset her. This wasn't going as he imagined.

Ginny returned after several minutes, appearing calmer. She sipped her tea, studying him. He began to feel uncomfortable. Surely she couldn't see through his glamours?

“Why did you leave the wizarding world, Mr Evans?” she asked.

Henry pondered the best way to explain, without giving too much away. “I lost people I cared about. It hurt too much. I felt, I don't know, lost, you know?”

“Yes, I know,” said Ginny sadly.

Henry watched as she took a bite of her muffin. “Where did you go, what did you do?” she asked him.

“I found a night job packing shelves in a supermarket. It wasn't much, but I wasn't really in a position to hold down a full time job. I was going to counselling during the day, which really helped. I found it so interesting that I ended up going to university and becoming a social worker.
I mostly work with abused or abandoned kids,” said Henry.

“Interesting,” said Ginny in a peculiar voice.

“How long have you lived in Godric's Hollow?” he asked her.

“Abby and I moved here about eighteen months ago. We're just renting at the moment. I've always thought it was a nice little town. Nice and private. I like that,” she said, with a look at him.

“Your husband didn't move with you. Are you divorced too?” he asked

She paused in the act of taking a drink of her tea. “No, my husband is dead,” she simply, waiting for his reaction.

“What! Oliver is dead? Oh, I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to blurt that out, I just had no idea,” stammered Henry.

“You were a fan?” asked Ginny with a wry smile.

“I saw him at Hogwarts, even played with him once or twice. He lived and breathed quidditch, even back then. Everything else was secondary,” reminisced Henry.

“Yes, I know,” said Ginny sadly.

“Oh, oh no, I didn't mean you and your daughter, I mean, not that I would know, but I'm sure he loved you. I just, oh shit!”

Ginny burst out laughing. “Relax, Mr Evans, it's fine. I knew what Oliver was like when I married him. Our daughter has been a blessing, especially since we lost him.”

“Please, call me H-Henry,” he said, nearly slipping up and revealing his real name.

“Henry, I can tell you that Abby has lots planned for Jamie's stay with us. When would be suitable for him to come to us? I understand that he is spending the first part of the Christmas break with his mother?” asked Ginny.

“Yes, that's right. They arrive back home on the 21st and he's staying with her for Christmas. I'll have him from Boxing day. Could he possibly come here on the 1st and stay till they return to Hogwarts, which is on the 4th? I would like to come and see him off again, but it will depend on my work. Unfortunately, Christmas and New Year is one of our worse times,” said Henry grimly.

“That sounds fine, and pretty much what the kids were hoping for. I'm sure we will both get letters telling us what they have planned but I do know they want to meet up with another friend, Scorpius Malfoy, in Diagon Alley one day. Will that be all right with you?” she asked.

Henry hesitated. “What do you know about this Scorpius? Jay's only really mentioned him in his last letter. All I know of the Malfoys is from the war, and none of that is good,” he said bitterly.

“Abby's mentioned him a few times to me. Yes, I know what you mean. I knew his father Draco in school, and I have a history with his Grandfather Lucius. However, his Grandmother helped Ha-someone important in the Final Battle that turned the tide for us. I really don't know what to tell you. I trust my daughter's judgement. I know they've made a huge effort at Hogwarts to unite the houses as much as possible. When I was there, it was very much a Gryffindor vs Slytherin attitude. Those days are gone. However, if for one moment I sense that Scorpius Malfoy is as evil as his Grandfather or is spouting any PureBlood/Dark Lord nonsense, well, let's say, there's a particular hex I haven't used in many years that I would be willing to bring out of retirement in such a case, and I would get my daughter and your son away from him before he could say Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes!” finished Ginny, getting worked up.

“Woah, I ah, will definitely warn my son to be on his best behaviour then, shall I?” teased Henry.

Ginny laughed again. “Oh, I think our kids will be fine. Apart from a couple of detentions, they've been fine. I had plenty of detentions when I was at school., as did most of my brothers.”

“I had loads,” said Henry, glumly.

“We'll probably go flying a bit, too, while Jamie's with us. Abby says he's gotten lots better and that he's a natural,” said Ginny.

“Why do you call him Jamie?” asked Henry, curiously.

Ginny shrugged. “When Abby's first letters came home, she called him Jay. Now she calls him Jamie, so I have come to know him as Jamie. I assume his name is James?” she asked.

Henry nodded.

“It's a nice name. Funny isn't it, I always planned that if I had a boy, I would call him James.”

“How old were you when you decided that?” asked Henry.

“Sixteen,” she replied.

“Girls think about that stuff at sixteen? Did you have your wedding planned out, too?” teased Henry, a bit shaken that she had thought of that when they were together,

“Ah, you have to remember, it was a different time, we were going through a war. I always knew, from the moment we were together, what I would name our son and our daughter. As for our wedding, no, I actually never thought about it. I suspect we would have eloped. The bloody press alone would have been a nightmare if we had planned a wedding. Can you imagine?” she asked rhetorically.

“This would have been you and Harry Potter?” he hesitantly asked.

Just saying his name was enough for Ginny to snap out of Memory Lane and focus on the man in front of her. She shrugged and changed the subject.

“Little Sirius will be glad of not having so far to fly for a couple of weeks. He's adorable, you chose well when you chose him,” she said.

“Adorable, you say?” asked Henry, holding up two fingers with bandages on them. “Little bugger doesn't like the treats I have for him. I haven't had time to go to Diagon Alley to get more. He definitely lets me know how he feels about that. Got a little bit of an attitude, that owl!”

Ginny got up and got a little container. “Here, take these. I'm going to Diagon Alley tomorrow so I can get some more. I know he likes these ones, see?” she teased, holding up her hand. “No bandages!”

Now Henry burst out laughing. “Thanks, that would be great. I do plan to send an owl out later today telling Jay that we met and when he can stay with you. I expect him to reply straight away and I'll need to be armed with treats and ready.” He held the container with the treats up as a shield, laughing.

“Interesting name for an owl, Sirius. Why couldn't he have a dog before?” asked Ginny.

“Ah, his mother is allergic,” lied Henry. He couldn't say the real reason, that it hurt too much, reminded him too much of his Godfather, Sirius Black.

“I knew a man named Sirius. A very good man. I like to think there's a Sirius at Hogwarts again, even if it is an owl,” said Ginny.

Henry decided it was time to go, they were getting into an area he had filed away many years ago in his head under DO NOT ENTER.

“Well, thanks for the tea and the muffins. It was really nice to meet you. I guess I'll be in touch with you before the kids come home, just confirming everything, and when and where I can do the drop off,” said Henry.

“Merlin, you make it sound like we're going to rob Gringott's, or something. Why don't you plan to be here for breakfast on the 1st, unless you have big plans for New Years Eve?” asked Ginny.

“No, nothing really planned, not at this stage anyway. I'll see what Jay says and let you know. What about you and Abby? Don't you have a big do at the Burrow with fireworks and all that?”

“I don't usually stay too late, but I agree, let's see what the kids say and take it from there. It was really nice meeting you too, Henry. Our kids are best friends, I'm really looking forward to meeting Jamie, or would you prefer I call him Jay, like you?”

“No, it's fine, whatever you like. Well, goodbye,” he said, moving to the floo.

He hesitated and looked back. He was surprised to look at his watch and find two hours had gone by. They'd been talking a lot, and time had gotten away. He'd enjoyed himself, and didn't want to leave. He hadn't found out anything about her family, or Hermione. He'd felt humbled as she defended him, defended Harry Potter, refusing to gossip about him. With a last look back at her, he flooed back to Muggle London.

Ginny was surprised to find how long they had been talking. Henry Evans was not what she had been expecting. She had been surprised at his sandy coloured hair, and eyes a colour similar to her own. It was an interesting combination, and Ginny felt herself attracted to him. 'Funny, she thought, ' how much he reminds me of Harry.'










Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6 November 20

Author's Notes: A few people have commented about the quickness of the updates. It's because they are un beta-d, i write and post! Thanks for all the reviews, but thanks just for reading!


Ch 6 November 20

Poor little Sirius was working overtime the next couple of weeks. Both children had written home with lots of plans for things they could do for their holiday together, and of course, their parents had replied.

Henry had fire called Ginny, just to confirm with each other their plans. They'd had a nice chat as well, yet neither wanted to admit to themselves how much the other was on their mind since their last meeting.

Henry felt a bit guilty. How could he not tell Ginny who he really was? He found himself being drawn more and more back to the wizarding world. He wanted to ask Ginny about her family, Hermione and all their friends. He wanted to know what she did for a living, and how she had ended up in Godric's Hollow. He wanted to take her in his arms and see if she still fit as well as she did before, as if she was made just for him. He wanted to kiss her, get lost in her, he wanted to-

Henry shook his head, he had no rights to be thinking about anything like that. His priority had to be his son. How could he merge Henry Evans back into Harry Potter without his son being hurt. Did he even want to? Aagh, his head was starting to hurt!

“Hello, Henry, are you there?” called Ginny from the fireplace.

Henry had forgotten he had arranged a floo call to Ginny, this morning, but he really needed her help. He knelt down, seeing her face in the fire, her hair looked as if it were on fire too. It reminded him of Fawkes, Dumbledore's old phoenix, with it's brilliant plumage.

“Hi Ginny, how are you?”

“Good thanks, and you?”

“Yeah I'm doing great. So, the reason for the call is, is there any chance you're free to go to Diagon Alley with me sometime soon? I really want to get Jay a broom for Christmas, and I'm a bit out of touch. I figured you would know the best one to get. I'd like to pick up a few other things too, while I'm there,” said Henry.

“When did you have in mind? I'm free today, but I'm leaving tomorrow and will be gone for a week, maybe ten days,” replied Ginny.

“Leaving?” asked Henry in dismay.

“Just for work,” said Ginny.

“Today would be perfect actually, I have the day off. Perhaps we can meet in half an hour and get started, and I'll treat you to lunch, my way of saying thanks!”

“Sure, that sounds great! Did you want to meet at the entrance to Diagon Alley,” she asked.

“I'm going to head over there now, I'll need to go to Gringott's first. How about I meet you out the front of Gringott's?”

“Okay, Henry, I'll see you soon.”

Henry felt a sense of exhilaration at the thought of spending time with Ginny. He planned to ask about the family. He was already looking forward to lunch at the Leaky Cauldron, and he hadn't had a butterbeer or a pumpkin juice in years.

'Now, what was he going to do about the goblins at Gringott's. Would his cover be blown by the end of the day? Would Ginny hate him for deceiving her?', he wondered.

In the end it was very anti climactic. He simply went in, asked for Griphook, removed his glamour withdrew sufficient funds and left. He remembered before he had left last time, he had added Ginny to his vault, giving her access. Harry had chosen Griphook to oversee his accounts, arranging it so he could not reveal any details about his vaults or their activity to anyone except Harry and Ginny. This now turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as Harry was in and out of Gringott's in 15 minutes.

He found Ginny waiting for him on the steps out the front. She was wearing jeans and knee high boots, which made his mouth water. A jumper, jacket and scarf protected her from the cold weather. She smiled as he approached her, giving him a little hug.

“Hi Henry, things go ok in there?”

“Yeah, better than I thought. It's been a long time since I was there, but the goblins were as efficient as ever,” he said.

“Where would you like to start?” she asked.

“Owl treats, definitely need some more owl treats,” laughed Henry, holding up a finger with a bandage.

Ginny giggled. “Magical Menagerie is just there, so why don't we stock up. We really should get Sirius a little present, he's been a busy boy since September. Oh and just a tip, he also really likes bacon!”

“Now she tells me,” groaned Henry good naturedly. He followed Ginny into the store, ignoring the pungent smell. He stopped to stare at a snowy white owl, bitter memories of a motorcycle ride that ended with Hedwig's body falling out the sky, stopping his good mood.

“She's pretty. Snowies are really rare,” whispered Ginny in his ear.

Henry shivered, she was so close. He could feel her breath on his neck, knew that if he turned around, her lips would be so close. He willed his heart to stop racing.

“Do-do you like snowy owls?” he asked, “why don't you get one?”

Ginny looked sad, before looking away. “No, I wouldn't get a snowy owl.Someone I knew once had one, a special one. Too many memories.”

She walked over and picked up a jumbo box of treats and held them up. “I think this is what you need. What about a perch, for when Jay and Sirius are at your place? I would suggest a book on owl care, but honestly, I'd just get him to ask Hagrid if he has any questions.”

“Good idea on the treats and the perch, I'll take them both. Yeah, there's not much Hagrid doesn't know when it comes to animals,” agreed Henry. He went to the counter to pay.

They strolled up Diagon Alley, heading for the Leaky Cauldron. Along the way they stopped in at Flourish and Botts where Henry looked at some books. He saw a few mentioning Harry Potter, which he bypassed, until he came to Ginny flicking through one. It was called 'The Conspiracy behind Harry Potter's Disappearance,' by Rita Skeeter.

As the clerk came up to ask Ginny if she needed assistance she replied, “Yes, you can start by removing this trash,” indicating the book. The clerk looked shocked and did not know what to say.

Henry came and dragged her out the front door, back into the Alley.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

“No, did you see that shite they're promoting. I'm sick of it, why can't they just let him be? I'll be having words with someone, you can bet your ass on it,” she said angrily. She stormed off, shouting over her shoulder, “Coming?”

They entered Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. There were a few people around, but not as busy as Henry remembered. Of course, that was back when it was school holidays and he was a kid himself. He sighed, too many memories were flooding his brain.

'You're moving through boyfriends a bit fast, aren't you?'
'Mum, can I have a pygmy puff?'
'How much are these? 5 galleons. How much for me? 5 galleons. But I'm your brother! 10 galleons!

“Henry, Henry are you ok?” asked Ginny, concernedly.

Henry shook his head, ridding the memories. “Sorry, blanked out a minute. Did you say something?”

“I just wanted to introduce you to George and Fred,” said Ginny, pulling him towards the counter.

“What? Fred died, eh, didn't he?” asked Henry, confused.

“Oh, this is my brother George and my nephew, his son, Fred. Fred will start Hogwarts next September,” said Ginny.

George hadn't changed much in Henry's time away from the Weasley's. His hair was receding slightly, he'd developed a slight paunch around the stomach, but he looked good. He shook Henry's hand and put his hand on his son's shoulder. They talked a bit about the kids at Hogwarts, Freddie saying Abby had written him to say Jay would be coming to the Burrow and would meet him after Christmas.

As customers came up to pay for their goods, Ginny took Henry's arm and they looked around, grabbing a few prank items for the kids. They had lots of fun trying out items before deciding what they wanted. They paid for their items and headed off, Ginny yelling to George that she'd be in touch when she got back.

“So, where are you going for your work tomorrow? Actually, what is your work?” asked Henry as they entered Quality Quidditch Supplies.

Ginny laughed. “Quidditch! I go to games and cover them on the radio. Do you remember WWN? George's friend Lee Jordan got me the job as a trial run, back when Abby was about 8. It worked out really well, and I got the job permanently. I also write a column in the Daily Prophet and Quidditch Quarterly, the magazine.”

“Wow, that's really impressive,” said Henry, looking at her with admiration. “So, you played for the Harpies, played in the winning World Cup side for England, and now you get to go all over Europe, covering matches and writing about them. That sounds like a dream job! You're very lucky!”

“Yeah, it's worked out well. Now, what did you have in mind for Jamie?” she asked.

“Well, he likes playing Chaser, so a broom suited to that. Maybe some gloves, too,” he said.

“The Cleansweep series or the Comet brooms really are the best for a Chaser. The new Cleansweep was released not long ago, but personally, I'd go for the older model. They do the job just as well, there really isn't much difference. It also has in-built vibration control.”

“What about the Firebolt?” asked Henry, still having fond memories of his gift from Sirius.

Ginny shook her head. “Better suited for a Seeker, with their sleeker design and acceleration.”

“Okay, I think I'll go for a Cleansweep 400,” said Henry.

“Good choice, the Hogwarts teams all have Cleansweep 300's, so he'll be used to the basic design, and he'll have the Christmas break to get used to the upgrade.”

“How do you know what the Hogwarts teams have?” asked Henry as he made his way to the checkout to pay.

“I set up a foundation, using Ha- er, someone's money. It helps those kids who can't afford books and robes, you know, for the basics when they start Hogwarts. It also updates the Hogwarts brooms every four years.”

Henry stared at Ginny in amazement as she continued to check out the newest accessories in the shop. He knew what she had been about to say, she had used his money. 'What a great idea,' he thought. He definitely approved of her using it for that.

“Did you use his money for anything else?” he asked.

She looked at him sharply when he used the word 'his', but simply said, “Yes. Maybe I'll show you sometime.”

With all their shopping completed, they made their way to the Leaky Cauldron for lunch. Hannah Abbott greeted them, and showed them a seat and gave them a menu.

“Was it just me, or did Hannah seem a bit off?” asked Henry. From what he could remember, Hannah had always been a friendly girl. He had often came in here for lunch or tea when he was in his first year of Auror training.

“You remember her? Since her and Neville's divorce, she's acted a bit cool to me. She knows I'm close friends with Nev.”

“She married Neville Longbottom, but now they're divorced? What about Neville and Luna?” asked Henry in amazement.

Ginny gave him a look. “Neville and Luna were only together after the Final Battle, I don't think it was ever anything too serious. He and Hannah got together when he was doing his Herbology training when he was based at St Mungo's. They married a year later. A couple of years or so after that, Nev got offered the apprenticeship at Hogwarts. He was in Scotland and Hannah was here. The distance just got too much,” said Ginny.

She stopped talking as Hannah came to get their orders. When they were done, Henry asked about her family.

“So, that was your brother George earlier. What about your other brothers?” he asked.

“I've been meaning to ask you, which of my brothers was in your year. I think Abby mentioned you were in Gryffindor, but I really don't remember you. You're about my age, aren't you?” she asked.

Henry had to think quickly, and do some quick calculations in his head. “I was in Percy's year, but I doubt he'll remember me. I was the quiet kid who sat in the corner, or in the library doing my homework,” he lied.

“Hmmm,” said Ginny, not entirely convinced.

“So, Percy...”

“Oh, yes, well, after the Battle, Percy went back to the Ministry and still works there. He married his school sweetheart Penelope and they have two daughters.”

“Your youngest brother went with Harry Potter, didn't he? How's he doing? Married, kids?” asked Henry, trying to be nonchalant.

Ginny didn't answer straight away, then Hannah brought their meals over, so she took her time cutting her food and took a bite before she answered.

“Ron's married with two kids, a boy and a girl. He works for Department of Magical Games and Sports, he loves it.”

“What about Hermione, if anyone was going to be working at the Ministry, it was her?” asked Henry.

“Oh yes, she'll be Minister of Magic any day now,” laughed Ginny. “She's too busy to even date, let alone get married and have kids. I don't know how many times Luna and I have tried to set her up on a date. She usually has to cancel, she's so busy.”

“Wait, her and Ron didn't get together, didn't get married?” asked Henry, shocked.

“Oh, they were together for a short while after the Battle, but it didn't last long. They drifted apart for awhile, but kept seeing each other at the Ministry, and rekindled their friendship,” said Ginny.

Henry was thinking desperately. “God, he didn't marry Lavender Brown, did he?” he blurted out.

Ginny stared at him until he felt uncomfortable. He quickly continued to eat, so he didn't open his big fat mouth again.

Finally Ginny spoke. “He married my old Gryffindor team mate, Mel, Demelza Robins. Their son Dan will be going to Hogwarts next year, Rosie, a couple of years later.”

“You mentioned Luna, that would be Luna Lovegood? What's she doing?” he asked.

“Oh, she travelled a lot after the Battle. She met someone during her travels, and they had twin boys about five years ago. You know, you're asking a lot of questions about the people in mine and Ron's year, and none in your year,” said Ginny.

“I asked about Percy?” Henry said weakly.

“No, you asked about my brothers,” stated Ginny.

“I didn't think you'd know anyone in my year, except Percy. Wasn't that your first year, when you had the trouble with the diary,” asked Henry thoughtlessly.

Ginny stopped eating, her fork raised in mid air. She put it down on her plate and finished swallowing, watching him while she did so. She gathered her bag and stood up.

“I think we're done here,” she said with a quiet dignity, and left the Leaky Cauldron.

Henry quickly gathered his parcels and raced to the front counter to throw some money at Hannah for their meal. He ran outside, looking left and right for Ginny. He saw her walking back down the Alley, back the way they had came from.

“Ginny, Ginny wait!” Henry yelled, causing several people to turn around and stare. If Ginny heard him, she gave no indication, continuing to stroll away.

“Ginny!” He ran down Diagon Alley awkwardly, juggling all his parcels and nearly tripping over the broomstick. He ran and finally caught up with her. He grabbed her arm, spinning her around.

“What the hell? I could have hexed you for that. I really DON'T appreciate being grabbed,” she said angrily.

“I'm sorry. I am really sorry. For grabbing you, for what I said and for ruining what has been such a great day. Please, Ginny!” panted Henry.

Ginny watched him as he got his breath back. He flopped down onto one of the bench seats that were along Diagon Alley. She sat down next to him.

“It has been a good day, until you made that stupid comment. How did you even know about that? Not many people know about it? Who ARE you, Henry Evans?” Ginny asked.

Henry opened his mouth, without even knowing what he was going to say. He was saved by George, who came running up to them.

“Gin, thank Merlin I found you, there's a problem over at GP, do you want to deal with it, or do you want me to go?”

“Serious?” Ginny asked.

“No, I'm George, Sirius died years ago. Ok, Ok I'm sorry, it's an oldie but a goodie. Yeah it sounds serious,” said George as Ginny smacked him over the head.

“Ok, I'll head over there right now. We're done here, right?” she asked Henry, who nodded.

Henry wasn't sure if she meant done between the two of them, or done for the day. He knew he'd just had a lucky escape, though.

“Ok, I'm going. Can you take this parcel for me, I'll get it when I get back from Bulgaria in about a week? It's just something I picked up for Abby for Christmas,” said Ginny, handing her bag to George.

“No problems, say hello to Viktor for me. Don't forget to send an owl, letting me know what happens at GP!” he yelled as Ginny headed quickly to the apparition point.

She waved over her shoulder. Both men watched her apparate away. George clapped him on the shoulder.

“I've got to get back to the shop. I'll see you around, mate.”

Henry nodded but his eyes were still on the spot Ginny had just apparated from. He felt a pang as he realised she hadn't said goodbye to him, and even worse, she'd made no plans to see him again.

He really had ruined a good day.







































Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7 December 5 and 13

Author's Notes: FYI I'm going to continue to address Harry as Henry until he chooses to reveal himself to Ginny.


Ch 7 December 5 — December 13

“Hello, Henry, are you there?” called Ginny, through the fire.

Henry's head appeared, a smile on his face.

“Hi, how are you?” he asked.

“Feeling a bit lonely, actually. Are you busy, can I come through?” asked Ginny.

“I was just going to get take-away delivered, I've got a ton of paperwork to do tonight.”

“I've got an article to write, do you mind if I come and over and we can do our own things, but be together. Sometimes, the silence here drives me nuts,” grimaced Ginny.

Henry chuckled. “Sure, I'll order more food, come on through.”

Ten minutes minutes later, Ginny stepped through the floo just as the door bell rang.

“Good timing,” Henry said grinning at her. He paid for the food, shut the door and turned to see the table all laid out, a candle twinkling and Ginny pouring wine into a glass.

“How did you...”

Ginny winked as she saluted him with a glass. “Magic.”

Harry burst out laughing, as he began to dish out their Indian food. They tucked into their food, Ginny's wine perfectly accompanying it. She told him about her trip to Bulgaria, and he talked about some of the cases he had dealt with. Henry was relieved that Ginny seemed to have forgotten how their last meeting had ended, or was happy to not hold it against him.

Once everything was tidied away, they set out to work. To Henry's relief, Ginny didn't chatter as she worked, he really didn't need any extra distractions. Just seeing her with a quill in her mouth reminded him of his sixth year which he spent a good portion of time watching Ginny. He watched her lips move as she mouthed out her thoughts before committing them to parchment. He shook his head, a smile on his face.

He felt something on his foot and he jumped. He looked over to Ginny to see her smirking. She pouted prettily.

“Sorry, my feet were cold and yours were warm. You don't mind, do you?”

'Oh, er,well no, er, of course not, just scared me is all,” stammered Henry.

She curled her toes into his and smiled at him. “Thank you Henry.”

She then wrapped her lips around her quill again, and returned to her half written article.

Harry tried to concentrate. It was actually nice to have someone there with him, even though they weren't talking. He decided to try and ignore her fragrance wallowing around, and not look at her lips. He might even get some work done.

An hour later, he looked up as Ginny remove her feet from on top of his. He had gotten used to her feet being there, stroking his occasionally, and he immediately missed the warmth. He looked up as Ginny stood and stretched, her top riding up and showing off her toned abdomen. He gulped.

“I'm done, how are you going?” she asked.

“Good, very good,” murmured Henry, still staring at her abs. “Oh, uh, five more minutes should do,
I reckon.”

Ginny placed a hand on his shoulder. “How about I make a cuppa before I go?” she asked.

Henry nodded, and she removed her hand to go the kitchen to boil the kettle.

Henry went back to work, and five minutes later, put his pen down with a sigh. Paperwork all done and up to date. He glanced at his watch, it was only 9pm, he finished a lot earlier than he thought he would. He looked up as Ginny brought in a couple of steaming mugs and a plate with biscuits on.

“Hope you don't mind, I rummaged in your cupboard and found these. They'll go nicely with a cup of tea. All done with your work?”

Henry sighed. “Yes thank goodness. It's so easy to get bogged down in paperwork, it drives me crazy. I'd rather be out there getting things done. It can be bloody frustrating.”

“It must be, especially if there's a child in jeopardy, your first impulse is to get them out of a bad situation, but there are papers to lodge, courts and lawyers and judges to rule on things. Meanwhile the child thinks no one wants to help. Things can escalate badly pretty quickly sometimes. I'm sure there have been times when your department hasn't had the authority to do anything quickly and the result has been bad.”

Henry nodded, running his hands through his sandy hair. “I hate the bureaucracy. These kids are just a case number to them. They really don't want to get involved, yet it's their final decision that will affect the child. The whole thing stinks.”

They both drank in silence. Finally Ginny got up and said she had to go.

“Thanks for letting me crash your place. Like I said, sometimes I hate being alone at home. I'm just not used to quiet, I guess. Dinner was great, thanks.”

She moved to the floo. Henry really didn't want her to go. An idea popped into his head, and without thinking he blurted out-

“Ginny, willyougotostaffdinnerwithme?”

Ginny stopped and giggled. “Sorry, what was that?”

“Um, my department is going out for a Christmas dinner next Friday, and I, er, was wondering if you'd like to go with me. You probably wouldn't, I mean, it's all Muggles and everything and I-”

Ginny kissed him lightly on the lips. “I'd love to go. I'll floo you for more details early next week. Bye.” With a whoosh of the fire, she was gone.

Henry just stared after her. She had kissed him. Ginny had kissed him, Henry Evans. Henry felt like doing cartwheels, like shouting out, like, like, hell, he felt like he was eighteen again. Eighteen and in love with Ginny Weasley. He packed his work away, tidied up and went to bed, with a smile on his face all the while.

_________________________________________________

Henry watched as Ginny and his boss were laughing while they were on the dance floor. They were doing the chicken dance, Mr Summers having dragged Ginny out when she said she'd never heard of it. A couple of the others had got up too, but most had stayed seated at the table, just watching the crowd. Dinner had been served and there was a break before dessert. The music stopped and the crowd applauded. Mr Summers offered Ginny his arm and escorted her back to the table.

“Thank you Murray,” said Ginny graciously. This raised a few eyebrows, as the staff had always been instructed in calling him Mr Summers.

“You're very welcome, my dear. Ahh, that took me back. My wife Lorraine and I used to love to go dancing, at least once a month we'd go. That was before...” He sniffed.

“Oh, did she pass?” asked Ginny with compassion, placing a hand on his arm. He patted it.

“Worse, her mother moved in. Lorraine says she can't leave her alone at night, that she'd never forgive herself if something happened to her and she wasn't there, that's why she's not here tonight,” said Murray gloomily.

“Your friend Jenny is certainly getting along with the boss,” whispered Nita in his ear. Henry shifted away. Nita was the newest member of their department, and she'd been trying to get Henry to ask her out for the last six months. She'd placed herself on the other side of Henry, which made him feel uncomfortable.

“Ginny, her name is Ginny. She has made an effort to get along with everyone tonight, not just Mr Summers,” said Henry.

“Don't you mean Murray? First name basis with the boss, that can only help you when the next promotion comes up. Where did you two meet, anyway? You're always telling me you're too busy to date, and that your son comes first. Is that no longer the case?” asked Nita sultrily.

“Yes! I mean no! I mean-”

“What Henry is trying to tell you is that his career is demanding and doesn't allow much recreation time. You should know what it's like, although I'm told you are fairly new to this department. Any time he has free is usually spent with his son. His son goes to the same school as my daughter, which is how we met. Is there anything else you'd like to know?” asked Ginny loudly.

Nita stared at Ginny in shock, then blushed as everyone turned to look at her. “No, no, I er, there's nothing else.”

“Good, because dessert is here. I'm starving!” declared Ginny.

“It's nice to see a woman with a healthy appetite these day, isn't that right Henry?” asked Murray.

Henry chuckled. “I've known Ginny awhile. She has a lot of brothers and they're all the same. If there is one thing I know, it's that you never get between a Weasley and food!”

Nita sniffed as if she smelt something bad, but Murray threw his head back in laughter.

“Lucky for me I have a fast metabolism, isn't it?” winked Ginny to Murray. “My mum is the best cook in the world. She makes a treacle tart that will make you cry!”

“Treacle tart, you say? God, I haven't had one of those in years. My wife used to make me one all the time after we got married,” said Murray.

“Well, why don't you and your wife make one this weekend? You say she won't go out and leave her elderly mother. Why don't you make one together, and remind her of all the things you used to do before her mother came to stay.”

“That's a great idea. Thank you Ginny. Would you do an old man another favour and dance this next one with me. It's a waltz, do you know how to do that?”

“Yes, I learned at school, we had a big ball in my third year. It was like a fairytale, getting dressed up in a pretty dress, meeting my date and going into the Ballroom which just looked magical!”

Henry choked on his drink as Ginny said the last word, but she gave him a wink as she got up to dance again.

“Smashing lady friend you've got there, Evans! You're a lucky bloke. Easy on the eye, lots of fun,” said Paul from Accounts.

“Intelligent, hot body-” started Mark from Publicity.

“All right, that's enough,” interrupted Henry. “Your lady friends are coming back now, so behave and keep your eyes off mine. Excuse me while I go and cut in on the boss.”

Murray was tiring so he was glad of an excuse to return to the table. He sat and watched Henry and Ginny dance arm in arm, thinking what a good couple they made. While Henry was devoted to his job, Murray had been concerned about burn out, especially since his divorce. He needed a life away from the job, as it was emotionally exhausting. Seeing Henry twirl Ginny, Murray thought he had found it.

Henry and Ginny danced the next two dances, glad of the chance to finally be able to hold each other. They both knew this had been building between them, but for their own reasons they had both held back.

Henry drew her close, his arm around her waist and her hand in his. Her head lay close to his shoulder, and he could smell the flowery fragrance that was just so Ginny.

“You look beautiful tonight. You've blown away all my co-workers, they all think you're great,” he whispered close to her ear.

“Even Nita thinks I'm great? Wow, was I off base about her,” said Ginny, tongue in cheek.

Harry chuckled, again close to her ear. Ginny shivered.

“Are you cold? Would you like to leave?” asked Henry.

Ginny looked up into eyes a similar colour to her own. “Yes Henry, I'd like to go home,” she said huskily.

Henry's eyes widened, then seemed to turn to liquid chocolate as they burned with desire.

“I-I'll go get our coats and meet you back here to say goodnight to everyone. I'll be as quick as I can,” he said, hurrying away.

Ginny chuckled and returned to the table. Some of the other people at their table were leaving too. Nita was trying to get some to hit the town with her and go clubbing. Murray just shook her head at her, before turning back to Ginny.

“It was so nice to meet you, my dear. Best of luck with our Henry. I do hope I get to see you again,” he said, kissing the back of her hand.

“Thank you for a lovely evening, and I hope things go well for you and your wife,” said Ginny, kissing him on the cheek.

“You're not stealing my girl, are you, Mr Summers?” teased Henry as he came up to them with their coats.

Murray laughed, patting him on the back. “If I was thirty years younger, maybe? Go on, you two, enjoy the rest of your night,” he said.

Henry helped Ginny put on her coat, and, offering her his arm, they left the restaurant. They were headed to the nearest apparition point.

“Would you like to go somewhere for coffee before we go home, Ginny?” he asked, suddenly nervous.

“I have coffee at home, Henry,” said Ginny softly.

“Right. Here we are then. See you back at yours?” Henry asked.

Ginny nodded and apparated away. Henry stayed for a minute, thinking furiously.

'Am I going to have sex tonight? She's been giving me the signals, hasn't she? Condoms? Check! You know, just in case. Can I do this? She wants Henry Evans. I can't deceive her, it wouldn't be right. I've got to tell her before we have sex. I've got to tell her I'm back. God, what if she hates me?
I mean, hates Harry, who is me. What if she doesn't want Harry but wants Henry? Chill man, you are over thinking this. God, is it too lame to tell her I've got a headache because I really do. Maybe I need to think this through some more? Shit, now I'm keeping her waiting. Ok time to go.'

Henry landed awkwardly in Ginny's small lounge room. “Hey, I thought you got lost,” said Ginny smiling, handing him a cup of coffee. She sat down and he sat next to her.

“Thanks for coming, er, I mean, attending with me tonight. I had a great time. You surprised me, I thought you'd get bored when we talked shop but you jumped right in. Some of your ideas were really good. How feasible they are, I don't know. Paul can crunch some numbers, see if any of them are a possibility. How do you know that stuff?”

“There were a lot of children left orphans after the Final Battle. I only realised how bad it was when we started doing publicity with the Harpies. I sat down with my family and we came up with a solution. I'll take you there one of these days,” she promised.

They drank their coffee and made small talk, Henry still having an internal debate with himself.
Ginny got both empty cups and took them into the kitchen and rinsed them, putting them on the sink. When she turned around, Henry was right there, pinning her against the kitchen bench.

“Oh, I-”

Henry kissed her. Firmly on the lips. Ginny was so stunned that she just stood there until it sunk in that Henry was actually kissing her. She tilted her head for a better angle, and he deepened the kiss.
Merlin, could he kiss. She opened her mouth a fraction, and she could feel his tongue demanding access. She changed the angle, her hands grasping his waist. Her mouth opened and her tongue clashed with his.

He moved his hands down her sides and around to palm her butt. This pulled her in closer, and she could feel how much he wanted her. Ginny felt consumed, it had been a long time since she had felt like this. She couldn't get enough, she pulled his shirt out from his pants, wanting to feel his skin.
Her nails grazed his waist lightly, and he groaned.

The kissing got more heated. He had left her mouth and was now kissing down her neck. She tilted it, giving him more access. He nibbled and she knew he had left a mark. She felt like she was on fire. She was kissing Henry Evans, no wait, she was kissing...

She pulled away, breathing heavy. He still had his hands on her butt, and she still had her hands on his waist. Henry's eyes were glazed with lust, but there was something more. He leaned his forehead against hers.

“I would never make you do anything you don't want to, you know that, right?” he panted.

Ginny nodded, unable to take her eyes off him.

“If you say stop, I'll stop,” he said, his voice returning to normal, and those inner doubts taking over.

“What if I don't want you to stop?” whispered Ginny, uncertain. Her emotions were all over the place.

Henry sucked in a breath. “Are you sure?”

Ginny shook her head, a tear running down her face. “No.”

Henry chuckled, “Me either. I mean, this is great, you're great,” he said, kissing her again. They got caught up in kissing again, this time Ginny nibbling on his ear and neck.

“God, that feels so good. Ginny, love, listen, I know I'm going to kick myself in the morning, but I really think we should stop right here. There's obviously something that's holding us back. Don't think for a minute I don't want to keep going. I just think we need to take a step back.”

Ginny rested her head against his chest feeling his heart pounding. “I think you're right, dammit!”

Henry chuckled, using his finger to lift her chin, and he kissed her gently, softly, before moving away. He grabbed his jacket and headed for the floo. Ginny moved slowly from the kitchen to the lounge, leaning against the frame of the door. With the light behind her outlining her, she looked gorgeous.

Henry groaned. “I should go before I change my mind. I'll see you soon,” he said, flooing home.

Ginny shut the floo, turned out the lights and went to her bedroom. She got changed and got into bed. She went over the whole night in her mind again.

“Still the same noble git, aren't you Harry?” she said to herself, smiling wryly.






Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8 December 21-Jan 1

Author's Notes: Just a quick note about my other story 'Power', my beta is pretty busy at the moment, she currently has 3 chapters of that story with her, it is NOT abandoned, it is completed at my end. I will post as soon as possible. Cheers


Ch 8 Dec 21- Jan 1

Ginny went through the barrier at Platform 9 ¾ and made her way down the station. She spoke to a lot of friends she saw, all waiting for her their children to return from Hogwarts for the Christmas holidays. She was looking or her brothers Bill, George and Percy, when she felt an arm snake around her waist.

“Hello beautiful,” a husky voice filled her ear.

She turned to see Henry looking at her, and she gave him a quick hug.

“Hi, yourself. Looking forward to seeing Jamie?” she asked.

“Hell yes! It will be great to spend time with him again, and glad to have a break. Honestly, if it wasn't for you, I probably would have buried myself in my work.

“Henry, didn't surviving the war teach you not to let life pass you by. There has to be more to you than your work. You need a hobby, you need a pet, you need-”

“You! I need you,” he said huskily.

“Henry!” said Ginny, touched at the emotion in his voice. The sound of the whistle of the train broke them apart, and they hurried over, excited to see their children.

Ginny stood with her brothers, and Henry stayed close to her. The train pulled in and the children piled out, all looking for their families.

Teddy and Vicki came out, holding hands. It gave Henry a pang to see his Godson, he was nine months old last time he saw him. His resemblance to both Remus and Tonks was astonishing to him.

Teddy took Vicki over to Bill and they spoke briefly. When he saw Ginny, he excused himself from Bill and came over to Ginny, giving her a big hug.

“How's my favourite Godmother. Enjoying the peace and quiet now Abs is off at school?” he asked.

“I'm your only Godmother, you prat! How's things with you? Your owl must have got lost, I haven't had many letters from you,” she rebuked good naturedly.

He looked a bit ashamed, “Sorry Auntie Gin, it's been a hectic year, really. You know I want to get into the Auror's, and I want top scores. Ask Vicki if you don't believe me, she's been complaining that she hasn't seen much of me too. But I have kept an eye on Abs, honest. I check in with her from time to time. She's got a couple of close friends, seem ok.”

“Thanks for keeping an eye on her for me, I appreciate it, love. I will see you at the Burrow Christmas afternoon, won't I?” asked Ginny.

“Wouldn't miss Nana Molly's Christmas feast for anything, you know that!” he winked.

Bill and Vicki walked past, waving to Ginny. Teddy picked up his bag and followed them, pecking Ginny on the cheek.

“Mum, Mum over here,” cried Abby.

“Dad, glad you could make it,” said Jay.

Both children ran into their parents arms and hugged them. Henry and Ginny's eyes met over the heads of their children and they smiled.

“Mum, this is Jamie,” said Abby.

“Hi Jamie, it's very nice to finally meet you. I hope you've enjoyed your first term,” said Ginny.

“Yes, thank you ma'am,” said Jamie, blushing. Abby's mum was very pretty, and he was a bit in awe of her, as Abby had said she had played quidditch professionally.

Ginny laughed, “Please, don't call me ma'am, Mrs Wood will do, or Ginny, if your Dad doesn't mind?”

Harry shrugged. “Whatever you are comfortable with, son. And you must be Abby. You look just like your mum. I bet you kids are glad to be home for Christmas?”

“Hello sir, yes, Christmas is my favourite time of the year, I love being home for it,” said Abby, smiling at Henry.

“Mum, we were wondering if we could all go out to tea tonight. We can tell you what we have planned for when Jamie comes to stay,” suggested Abby.

“I'm sorry honey, you know we are having dinner with Nana Wood tonight,” said Ginny.

“Aw Mum, We're spending Christmas Eve and and half of Christmas Day with her, that's just a couple of days away, please Mum,” begged Abby.

“I'm sorry Abby, but I promised Jay's Mum he'll be home with her tonight. There's a few things we need to discuss,” said Henry with a smile at her.

Jay frowned, he didn't like the sound of that. The two children hugged each other goodbye, with Abby promising to call Jay when he was Harry.


____________________________________________

“Hello son, Happy Christmas!” said Henry cheerfully, as Jay got in the car with a bag.

“Can we please get out of here,” said Jay, not looking at his dad as he shut the door.

Henry drove away, concentrating on the road. When there a lull in other traffic, he looked over to Jay, who was sitting in the passenger seat, arms folded.

“Everything all right at home?” he asked gently. Jay just shrugged.

“'snot my home, not any more,” he mumbled.

Henry was concerned, but decided to wait till they were at his apartment before asking further questions.

Jay went into his room and threw his bag on the bed, coming back to see his dad with some presents.

“Here we go, son, come on and open them,” Henry said, gesturing to them.

They spent the next half an hour opening his presents, Jay showing his delight at his very own broomstick. They went over it carefully, discussing the different aspects of it, Henry comparing it to his Nimbus and Firebolt.

After everything was tidied away, Henry attempted to find out what was wrong with Jay earlier.

“So, how was everything at your Mum's?” he asked/

Jay hesitated. “Mum's got a boyfriend. I don't like him. Can't I stay here next holidays and just see her for a couple of hours, or something?”

Henry shook his head, “No son, I'm sorry but you do need to spend time with your mum. She misses you. We had never even contemplated boarding school for you, so your mum's really feeling it, you being away. I think it's good she's seeing somebody. You will have to spend a decent amount of time with her in the summer.”

Jay groaned. “Abby's going to Romania to see her uncle, and maybe Egypt. She wants me to go with her, Dad.”

“Well, that's a long way off, we'll talk about that another time. Now, what plans have you and Abby made for the New Year?”

__________________________________________

“Abs, is everything all right? You haven't been the same since Christmas?” asked Ginny in concern.

Abby shrugged. “I'm fine,” she said shortly.

“Do you feel sick? You haven't had much of an appetite since you've been home, even at the Burrow on Christmas Day.”

“Mum, I'm fine. Can we change the subject please?” said Abby.

“Sure, what do you want to talk about?” asked Ginny.

“Why aren't I a great quidditch player, like you and Dad?” she asked.

“What, that's crazy, you're only 11!' said Ginny.

“11 ½ Mum! Nana Wood said I should be practising more, that dad would practise at least 1-2 hours everyday. Nana said she was surprised you weren't making me do more. Mum, I love quidditch, but I don't think I want to play professionally like you and Dad did.”

“Honey, I want you to play quidditch because you love it. I didn't fly much at Hogwarts till my fourth year when I made the team. Actually I filled in for a game, and I had to play Seeker. The following year I made the team, and realised I was pretty good at it. In my last year, when I was thinking about a career, nothing really appealed, apart from quidditch, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was so surprised that I got in with the Harpies, I can tell you,” said Ginny, laughing.


“What about Dad?” asked Abby.

Ginny sighed. “From what Oliver told me, he was put on a broom pretty young and loved it. He was practically groomed to play quidditch. Grandpa Wood made up a training schedule for him which he did everyday. He was so happy when your Dad was made Gryffindor captain. I don't remember him at Hogwarts, but Oliver told me they were the best days,” said Ginny, stroking her daughter's hair.

“Even better than when he was with PU?” asked Abby. Ginny nodded.

“You have to understand, professional quidditch is a business. We train really hard, it kind of takes the fun out of it. It all becomes about the winning. Don't get me wrong, both your Dad and me had a lot of success, we were lucky. Poor Uncle Ron's been waiting years for the Chudley Cannon's to win a game, and the one game they've won in the last ten years, is the same day his son was born, so he missed it. Naturally, he is saying that Dan is the CC's good luck charm! Mind you, they haven't won a game since then!”

Both ladies burst out laughing at the thought of poor Ron and his love for the Chudley Cannons. Abby cuddled in to Ginny.

“Mum, do you miss Dad?” she asked.

“Of course I do. I hate that he's missed your first train ride to Hogwarts, going to Diagon Alley to get your wand. Those things are important to parents. You know he would have loved to have gotten you your first broomstick for school. He was a good man, and he was way too young to die.”

“Mum, I kind of forget what he was like. I mean, I know what he looked like, there's heaps of photos and news clippings at Nana's. It's just the everyday things I've forgotten. Am I bad? Nana said I should remember Dad always. I try Mum, honest.”

“Sweetie, it's okay, you've done nothing wrong. As long as you remember how much your dad loved you, and you loved him. He told me you were the best thing in the world to him. Seeing him with you, especially when you were a baby, those were great days. But he's gone, love. He would want you to move on and be happy, no matter what Nana Wood says. I think she misses him lots more since we lost Grandpa, and you're all she has left now,” said Ginny.

“Mum, do you think I'm pretty?” asked Abby in a complete change of topic.

“I think you're pretty and smart and pretty and beautiful and pretty and-

“Ok, ok, still, you're my mum so you have to say that!” laughed Abby.

“Why do you want to know?” asked Ginny.

“Well, there's this boy, you see, and he's really nice, well I think he's really nice. Jamie says he's a good guy but that he's not good enough for me. But I really like him Mum. I trust Jamie's opinion, he's my best friend, he's just looking out for me. But I really really like him Mum. What do I do?” wailed Abby.

“Well sweety, you ARE only 11, I think just get to know this guy better, and get Jamie and Scorpius to spend more time with him too, just as friends, mind you. You're too young for boyfriends, I thought we had this discussion?”

“We DID, and I'm 11 ½! I just want to hang out with him more, that's all,” assured Abby. Ginny felt relieved.

“That's fine sweety, just don't give up all your friends, just for one. There's plenty of time for all the rest, ok?”

Abby nodded. “Mum, who sent you the flowers and chocolates on Christmas Day?”

“Just a friend, love, just a friend,” said Ginny, smiling, thinking of Henry/Harry.


____________________________________________________

“What's the time, Mum?

“1 minute since you last asked me, so 8.28,” said Ginny, thumbing through the Daily Prophet.

“I can't wait to see Jamie. Did he really get a new broom for Christmas? I can't wait till he sees the Burrow, we'll be able to get lots of flying practice in. Oh, when will they get here?” groaned Abby.

“Abby-”

“I've got heaps to tell him. Do you think he'll like GP? I can't wait for him to meet Annie. Are you sure Scor hasn't owled Mum? Maybe he owled Jamie instead,” mused Abby.

“Abby-”

“If I ask Nana Molly, do you think she'll make him a treacle tart? It's his favourite, you know. Oh where are they? Mum, what's the time?”

“Abigail!”

Abby turned to look at her mum. “What, Mum?”

Ginny smiled and indicated with a nod, “They're here!”

Abby turned around and, sure enough, Jamie and his dad were standing by the floo. She ran over to Jamie and hugged him. His dad moved away to talk to her mum.

“Jamie, I've missed you. Happy New Year!” she said.

“Happy New Year, Abby!”


“Who's hungry?” called Ginny.

“Me, me,” cried both kids, and they moved to the small dining table. Cereal, toast and pancakes were already there, sausages and bacon were nearly ready.

“Wow, this looks amazing Mrs Wood,” said Jay.

“Thanks Jamie, good way to start the new year off, isn't it? Good food and good company,” she said cheerfully.

“I think the sausages and bacon are ready Ginny, you stay and eat, I'll get them,” said Henry, opening the draw for the tongs to turn the sausages and plate them up.

“Mum, have we got any more maple syrup, this one's finished?” asked Abby, holding up an empty bottle.

Yeah, I think so, I'll get it,” said Ginny, raising from her chair.

“Stay there, Gin, I'll get it, I'm already here,” said Henry. He opened the cupboard, took out the new bottle and brought it over, placing it in front of Abby. He went back and got the plate with the sausages and bacon, putting it in the middle of the table.

“Thanks Mr Evans,” said Abby thinking hard. She was wondering why Mr Evans seemed so comfortable in her house, he'd gone straight to the right cupboard to get the maple syrup without asking, and he knew where the tongs were. He really seemed to know his way around. Abby glanced at Jamie to see if he'd noticed anything but he was too busy eating. She sniffed, 'typical boy!'

While Henry and Ginny tidied the kitchen and did dishes (talking quietly to themselves, Abby noted), Abby and Jamie went into the lounge to talk.

“Gee, your dad and my mum are friendly, aren't they?” asked Abby, keen to see if Jamie had noticed.

“So? I think Dad's got a girlfriend. Mum's got a new boyfriend, too,” said Jay, grumpily

Abby wrinkled her nose. “Aren't they too old to have boyfriends and girlfriends?”

Jay shrugged, and changed the subject. “So is your uncle still here, the dragon tamer?” he asked eagerly.

Abby shrugged, “I'm not sure, I haven't been to the Burrow for a couple of days, Mum and I have been busy. Mum says we'll definitely go visit in the summer hols. I hope you can come too?”

Jay scowled. “Dunno, Dad says I've got to spend loads of time with Mum, cos she misses me. Ha, that's a laugh, she was all over her boyfriend at Christmas time, didn't worry too much about me at all.”

“Did she give you nice presents?” asked Abby curiously.

“Mostly clothes. I got an iPod too, which is pretty cool, until I realised I can't take it with me to Hogwarts. I'll have to leave it at Dad's, so what's the use of having it?”

“What's an iPod?” asked Abby and Ginny at the same time.

“You can load music, photos and movies on it, you put earphones on and only you can hear it, I'll show you later, I brought it with me,” said Jay, pleased to be able to show them something new.

“Have you heard from Scor?” asked Abby, changing the subject, not really understanding what an iPod was.

Jay nodded. “He had a good Christmas, he got a broomstick too, same as mine. He's still keen to meet us in Diagon Alley day after tomorrow.”

“Good, although there might be a change of plans but Mum said she'll owl Scor's parents if there is,” said Abby.

She watched her mum laughing withJay's dad as they had a coffee and did the crossword in the paper together. 'Something about them just seemed so right,' thought Abby.

“What's your Dad's girlfriend like?” asked Abby.

“Dunno, haven't met her. I think it's pretty new, he's never had a girlfriend before, not that I know of. I just know he sent her flowers and chocolates Christmas Day. C'mon, I'll show you my broom,” said Jay.

'Interesting, very interesting,' thought Abby with a smile.


























Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter 9 January 1-10.

Author's Notes: wants to go to WWOHP and see the new Diagon Alley extension, it looks awesome. Anyone want to come along? LOL


Ch 9 JAN 2014

The next four days passed in a whirl. Jamie fell into his bed every night, exhausted but thrilled. He was learning more and more about the wizarding world, and there was always something fun to do.

Henry had left about 11am, saying he had to go into the office. He told Jay to be good and call him if needed. Jay promised to fire call him every night.

First stop for the day was the Ministry of Magic. Ginny had chosen this day as there weren't many departments open, as they were still enjoying their holiday. However, she knew Ron had to come in to see about an upcoming game in France. Ginny was covering it for WWN so she just had to get an 'official' comment from the department, but she thought Jamie might like to see the MOM.

Ginny also knew her dad was working today. This was his department's busiest time, as magical items given as Christmas presents were in abundance. Her dad usually only worked a couple of days a week now, unless it was a special occasion, like this.

Jamie was in awe of the MOM. They had entered via the visitors entrance in a telephone box . Jamie thought it was awesome! He had to get his wand checked out and say he was there to visit Ron and Arthur Weasley, and was given a tag to wear. He got in a lift which moved backwards then shot up in the air. It was a bit like being at the fun fair!

He couldn't believe he got to meet Ron Weasley. He'd been hearing stories about Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger ever since they had arrived at Hogwarts. He'd also heard stories about Abby's mum and Professor Longbottom, but he wasn't sure if he believed everything he heard. They just seemed like normal people, not these heroes he was told about.

Ron greeted Ginny and Abby with hugs, and shook Jay's hand. He showed them around the office, there weren't many other workers in, so it was pretty quiet. Jay was looking at a wall of photos, showing winning quidditch sides. There were some individual photos too.

“Look, there's my Dad!” said Abby proudly, pulling him to a photo of Oliver holding the World Cup trophy and being hoisted in the air by his team mates.

“Wow, that's great. Where's one of your Mum?” asked Jay, staring around in amazement.

“Over here, mate,” said Ron. He brought them to his desk, which had photos of Ron and his wife on their wedding day, one of his children Dan and Rose, and a family shot of them all together. There was also a photo of Ron, Harry and Hermione. On the wall behind there was a photo of Ginny, with the caption 'Player of the Year 2001, Chaser of the Year 2001.'

“They were champions!” said Jay, looking at Ginny in a new light. Abby looked proud, and pleased at his response.

Ron and Jay talked about quidditch teams, and as Jay didn't have any allegiance to a team yet, Ron promised to get tickets for a Chudley Cannons game for the summer holidays for them. Jay asked Abby what team she followed.

“Both Mum and Dad's. I call myself a Puddlemere Harpy, or say I follow Holyhead United,” she laughed.

They said goodbye to Ron and made their way to the 'Missuse of Muggle Artifacts' office. Jay saw everyday items like toasters and vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers and lamps, but they were all doing weird things. Abby explained these had been enchanted by wizards for them to use, but they might have been accidentally given away, or lost, or the result of a robbery. They then found their way to a Muggle house, and that's when Arthur's office would be called in.

Jay watched amazed as a wizard came into the office, greeting Arthur and Ginny, while nodding to the children. He then took an item out of his pocket and put it on the ground. He tapped his wand on it, and it enlarged, to become a full size motorcycle.

“I love magic!” said Jay, looking around. He grinned at Abby and she grinned back. They stayed there for a little while, as Ginny had to go and visit with a friend. 'Aunt 'Mione,' whispered Abby. Jay had no idea who that was, but he smiled and nodded.

By the time they got home it was 3pm. They had a quick snack, as they weren't very hungry. Ginny then suggested they join some of the other children and go ice skating at the local pond. When Jay said he didn't have skates, Ginny transfigured him a pair. They had a fun afternoon hanging out with the other children who lived there, before heading home for dinner. Jay really liked the little town of Godric's Hollow. After dinner, Jay fire called Henry, then they had hot chocolate and played Exploding Snap. Jay didn't miss the television at all, although he did have fun showing Abby and her mum how to use the iPod. Ginny seemed enthralled by the music, but Abby soon lost interest. Soon after they went to bed.

The next day they met Scorpius, and Ginny took them all to Hogsmeade, having flooed to the Malfoys to tell his parents, and floo back with him. They enjoyed Zonkos and Honeydukes the most. They had lunch at the Three Broomsticks, then they headed to the Burrow.

Jay and Scorpius stared at the house. They hadn't seen a house like the Burrow EVER! They went inside to greet Ginny's mum, 'Nana Molly.' She gave them some biscuits and drinks. Abby's cousins Vicki, Dominique, Freddie, Roxanne, Molly and Lucy were visiting, as well as Teddy Lupin. After their snack, they all trooped out to have a quidditch game.

They stayed at the Burrow for tea. They were joined by Bill and Fleur, George and Angelina and Percy and Penelope. Jay couldn't take his eyes of Fleur, she was stunning. Jay didn't know how they would all fit in at the table, but it soon expanded to fit everyone in. The table was overloaded with food, and Jay was pleased when Nana Molly told him she'd made a treacle tart especially for him, as Abby had told her it was his favourite.

By the time they got home, Jay felt as though he'd put on two stone, with all the good food he'd eaten. He fire called his dad again, and went to bed soon after.

The next day was spent at GP. Ginny had side along apparated Abby and Jay with her, and they arrived at 12 Grimmauld Place about 10am. They went inside and Jay saw lots of kids, all different ages. Abby explained they were orphans, and they lived there, along with Mrs and Mister Burford, a married couple in their fifties. Madame Burford greeted Ginny with a hug, and she shooed the two children up the stairs, to go find the other kids who lived there.

Jay knew Annie from the letters she'd sent to Abby, and she introduced him to the other kids. They showed him around. The little ones slept three in a room, the older boys slept two in a room and the two eldest who were thirteen and fourteen, had their own room. Girls and boys slept separate. They had chores to do, based on their ages, and they had lessons. If they weren't adopted, they would stay at Grimmauld Place until they were 17.

One of the little boys, Bradley, attached himself to Jay, and followed him around. Jay played with the little kids for a bit while Annie and Abby had 'girl talk.' When they came back to join him, they spent the next hour telling the kids about their time at Hogwarts. They played games and told stories until it was time to go.

They had lunch at the Leaky Cauldron, then popped into the stationery shop to get some parchment, quills and inks for school.

They flooed home and the children spent the afternoon re-packing their bags and making sure they had everything ready for the train the next day.

Jay was surprised when his dad came through the floo. Ginny had invited him to tea, to spend his last night with him for awhile.

Jay thought his dad looked tired, and he told him. Henry told him how busy he had been the last couple of days, but he was glad of an excuse to see Jay before he left to return to Hogwarts. He told Jay he didn't think he'd make it to the train station the next day to see him off.

Ginny had made a nice thick stew for tea, and had bought some fresh crusty bread while they were in Diagon Alley. They had big bowls of stew as they talked with Henry about their day. Jay told him about GP, and Henry had lots of questions.

Abby and Ginny did the dishes while Jay and Henry had some last minute private time. Henry had brought a letter for Jay from his mum, and he gave him some owl treats to take back with him. He hugged Jay goodbye and with a lingering look at Ginny (so Abby noted ), he flooed home, and the kids showered and went to bed.

Tomorrow they would return to Hogwarts.

_______________________________________________________

“Hello, Ginny, are you there? Can I come through?” called Henry through the floo.

“Come on through,” said a voice. Henry didn't think it sounded like Ginny, but he went through anyway.

Henry came through the floo determinedly. He wanted to be with Ginny, to make up for their lost time, but how did he even begin to explain his deception all this time?He wasn't sure he wanted to return to being 'Harry Potter-hero of the wizarding world,' he wanted to be just 'Harry'. If he told Ginny, it wouldn't be long before more people found out. How would his son react? Would he be happy or proud, would he be angry or upset? He just knew he had to be honest with Ginny, especially before they took the next step in their relationship. He decided he was going to tell her tomorrow night.

It had been five days since the kids had returned to Hogwarts, and Henry and Ginny had fire called each other every night. They just exchanged news about their day, or if one had news from their child. Henry knew Ginny was leaving for another quidditch game soon, and he had a conference he was attending in a month or so.

He went through the floo into the familiar cosy lounge, only to come up short when he saw Luna Lovegood half asleep on the lounge. She looked at him and gave him a sleepy smile.

“Henry, is that you?” called Ginny from the kitchen.

“Yeah, it's me,” called Henry. Luna watched him move awkwardly around the lounge, then waved at him before closing her eyes.

“We're in the kitchen, come on back,” yelled Ginny.

“Hey Gin, I-oh!” exclaimed Henry as he walked into the kitchen. There, sitting at the table, was Hermione Granger. She was reading the paper and sipping from a wine glass. It looked like she had come straight from the office. She was dressed in a stylish skirt and blouse, with a jacket slung over a chair. Ginny was rummaging through her cupboards, and had her back to him.

“Henry, a couple of friends dropped over, we're waiting for tea,” yelled Ginny, still with her back to him. He walked over to her, and when she turned around, he was right there.

“Oh! Sorry, you startled me,” giggled Ginny. “Guess you were already in the kitchen, weren't you?”

Henry nodded, but his eyes were on her lips. “I've missed you,” he said huskily.

“I've missed you, too,” said Ginny softly.

“Oh, why don't you just go ahead and have a good snog. There's the doorbell, I'll get the tea. I'll be as slow as I can, so snog away and get it out of your system before we eat,” said Hermione, stalking off.

Henry and Ginny laughed, and he put his arms around her, drawing her close. “Sorry about that, she's had a big day in court and her colleagues took her out to celebrate. She's had a couple of drinks with them, and with the wine here, she's in fine form. She should settle down once we get some food in her,” said Ginny.

“Your other friend in there is nearly asleep,” chuckled Henry.

“Poor Luna, her two boys are getting over a bad case of dragon pox, this is her first night out in a month. She's actually wearing her pyjamas. I thought we'd have a bit of girl time, but Luna just wants to sleep, and Hermione just wants to drink.”

They heard Hermione laughing, and Ginny groaned. “Merlin, I think she's flirting with the delivery guy. That means she'll be back soon. You heard her, we need to snog away,” giggled Ginny.

“Yes ma'am,” said Henry, running his hands down to her waist. They kissed, softly at first, but things got heated very quickly. They pulled apart as Hermione came back, and banged the bags of food down on the table.

“Get a room,” she said sarcastically, then grinned. “Hungry?”

Ginny eyes Henry's lips and nodded, but she moved away to get some plates. Henry's eyes followed her butt as she bent over. With a sigh he turned around and saw Hermione watching him with a smirk. She raised her eyebrow at him and slightly shook her head. Henry blushed, knowing he'd been caught ogling.

“So, your son is in the same year as Abby?” asked Hermione, as they both watched Ginny dish up their food, then hand it over. Henry nodded. “Bring the wine,” she called over her shoulder as Henry and Hermione left the kitchen to go into the lounge.

Ginny brought a plate for Luna, and set the wine in front of Hermione. She went back and got a plate for herself, and they all started eating. “Too many more of those, and you'll be spending the night in Abby's bed,” she cautioned Hermione, with a nod at the wine bottle.

“Yes Mum,” said Hermione, which made the ladies laugh. Henry felt slightly out of place, but he was enjoying see Ginny among her friends, and he was amused to see this side of Hermione.

“So, what is it you do, er Hermione?” asked Henry, pretending he didn't know her.

“Hermione Granger, lawyer for the Department of Law Enforcement, at your service,” said Hermione giggling.

“Not tonight, she's not,” murmured Luna, sleepily.

“I understand you have twin boys?” asked Henry, turning his attention to Luna.

“Yes, Lorcan and Lysander, they're double twins.”

“Er, double twins, what does that mean?” asked Henry, confused.

“They were born in May, on the 22nd. That is in the star sign of Gemini, which is known as the twins, and the two two's is a good indication of a long and prosperous life,” said Luna happily, nibbling on her food. “Think I will have some wine please, Hermione, just half a glass.”

Hermione poured half a glass for Luna, and a glass for Ginny and herself. Henry declined. The talk resumed around Hermione winning a case earlier that day.

“So, will you finally have some time off now the case is over?” asked Ginny.

“To do what? You know me, I'll get bored by my second day if I'm not researching or planning something,” scoffed Hermione.

“You could go on a holiday, why don't you go visit your parents in Australia?” asked Ginny.

“We have a cabin in Oslo, it's a bit rustic, but you're welcome to use it,” said Luna.

“First of all, you know things aren't great with my parents. I really don't want to go all the way there, just to be uncomfortable the whole time I'm there, just because they think I've made wrong choices in MY life. Secondly, thank you for the offer Luna, but my days of roughing it ended after the Final Battle. I promised myself I'd never go camping again, nearly a year on the run with Harry and Ron was enough to last me a life time!” she said, with a salute of her glass.

“Are they still mad about you and Ron breaking up, even after all these years?” asked Ginny, surprised. The few times she had met Hermione's parents, they had seemed sensible and nice. They had seemed devoted to Hermione, so Ginny had been surprised when they'd decided to return to Australia, even after their memories had been returned. She knew her parents stayed in touch with them.

“It's not Ron, per se, it's more the whole 'you're not married and giving me grandkids thing,' more than anything. Mum just always mentions how Ron's got two kids now, and a really good job, and look what I missed out on. It annoys the hell out of me. I don't even know if I want kids!” finished Hermione, taking a big gulp of her drink.

“I reckon they're going to have another one, too,” said Ginny, sipping her drink. “Mel loves being a mum, and Ron can't say no to her. Besides he'd love a big brood.”

“He's a good dad,” agreed Hermione.

“I'm glad you got things sorted with Ron after the break up, and you're friends again. Please say you'll come to the Burrow more often. Mum will be thrilled to see you, and you can tell Dad about your cases. Hey, get this, Henry thought Ron had married Lavender, can you believe it? Thank Merlin, he didn't. Living through Won-Won once was bad enough, I couldn't imagine having that as part of the family forever!”

“To Won-Won!” giggled Luna, holding up a glass.

To Won-Won,” saluted Ginny and Hermione. Henry chuckled.

The ladies finished off their meal, Henry content to sit back, watch and listen to them. Luna and Ginny talked about their children and their illnesses, and Hermione told them about goings on at the Ministry.

Ginny brought them up to date on all of her brothers, their wives and children. Luna and Hermione were pleased to hear Neville was doing well at Hogwarts, both Henry and Ginny saying he was their children's favourite teacher.

A couple of hours later, Hermione got unsteadily to her feet, announcing she had to go to the loo. Luna said she had to be getting home. Ginny got to her feet.

“Well, we'll have to do girls night more regularly, I miss you guys. Luna, you weren't even at the last one,” said Ginny.

“Neither was I,” said Hermione, called from down the hall.

“Yes you were, remember, we went to Paris,” said Ginny.

“Nooo, you went to Paris to have a girls night out with Fleur, Gabby and Angelina. You only called me when you got arrested, remember?” laughed Hermione, returning to the lounge.

“Oh yeah, we thought that policeman was the stripper, so we grabbed him and tried to get his shirt off. Merlin, I thought we were going to have to spend the night in jail. What would we do without you, 'Mione!” laughed Ginny, hugging her friend.

“Try not getting in trouble and not needing a lawyer,” smirked Hermione.

“Hey, you ended up staying in gay Paree and partying with us the rest of the weekend, that is, until you met, er what was his name?” asked Ginny, knowingly.

“I think it was Bruce, it was so long ago, I can't even remember,” said Hermione rubbing her head.

“Then it's definitely time we did something like that again. Your work is threatening to take over your life, Hermione, and it's not good,” said Ginny.

“Yeah, yeah. I'm going to bed. Henry, it was nice to meet you. Luna, I'll be in touch, maybe we could all do lunch and some shopping one day,” suggested Hermione, and with a wave, she had gone back down the hall.

Henry got up too. “I really must go too, Gin. I hadn't expected to be here this long, but it's been quite entertaining. I, er I-”

Oh, you can go ahead and snog if you want, I'll just go and get a glass of water. I'll make lots of noise so you know when I'm coming back in, OK?” asked Luna, heading to the kitchen.

“Thanks Luna,” they said in unison, then looked at each other and laughed.

“Well, that was an interesting night. So, you like strippers dressed as policemen, hmm?” asked Harry kissing her softly over and over.

“Henry, please,” Ginny practically begged. Henry increased the pressure of his kiss, and increased the intensity. Hands were roaming over each other's body. The sound of Hermione retching in the bathroom drew them apart.

“I actually came over to ask you to dinner with me tomorrow night. A night out at a good restaurant, maybe see a movie, there's a few things I'd like to talk to you about, too. What do you think?” he asked.

“I think it sounds perfect,” whispered Ginny, kissing Henry again. “It's a date.”

Henry took a last lingering look at Ginny before he left. She sighed happily, her night with her friends had turned out brilliantly.

“Oh, has he gone? I wanted to say goodbye, I never got the chance last time,” said Luna, disappointed.

“What do you mean?” asked Ginny.

“Harry. I never got to say goodbye to him before he left, and it's been years since we've seen him again. What if he goes away again for years, I'll feel very sad I didn't get to say goodbye again,” said Luna.

Ginny smiled wryly. “It's OK Luna, I'm seeing him tomorrow night, I'll tell him you said goodbye, OK?” She should have known it would be Luna who'd figure it out, she had been so worried about Hermione's reaction to Henry.

“OK Ginny. I'm glad you two are together again. You two obviously have a forever love. No matter what, you will always find your way back together again,” said Luna simply.

“Oh Luna, it's just one of those coincidences that our kids ended up on the train together going to Hogwarts,” said Ginny, wryly.

“There's no such thing. Maybe it wasn't your time to be together before. Maybe your children are destined to do great things. Those children wouldn't have been born if you and Harry had stayed together all those years ago. Now, it's your time to be together. I'm happy for you and Harry,” said Luna serenely.

“Luna, until I tell you differently, can you please call him Henry. No one else know it's Harry, not even Hermione. Please don't say anything to anybody, even Rolf.”

“Oh, is that why she called him Henry, I just thought we were playing a game using different names. I was thinking up a good one for you and Hermione. Ginny, I can't lie to Rolf, but unless he asks me directly if I saw Harry Potter today, then I have no reason to lie to him. I'm sure Harry has reasons he was away for so long, and what he has been doing. I'm just glad he's back. Good night Ginny.”

Luna hugged Ginny and flooed home. Ginny turned off the floo, turned the lights off and went to check on Hermione. She was in Abby's bed, but not yet asleep.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” asked Ginny, sitting on the side of the bed.

“Lousy,” grinned Hermione. “I definitely enjoyed it more going down than coming back up again.”

“Ew, thanks for sharing! It was nice, getting together again, it's been too long. You're working too hard,” stated Ginny.

“What else have I got?” asked Hermione, sounding vulnerable suddenly. “No husband, no kids, no family here.”

“What? We're your family, Hermione. It's not about having a husband and kids. I don't have a husband, and Abby's away most of the year now, and will be for the next 6 years.”

“What about Henry, things are looking promising there,” said Hermione, yawning.

Ginny shrugged, not wanting to talk about Henry/Harry with Hermione, not yet anyway. “We'll see,” she said in a non-committal voice.

“It's good to see you happy again, you seem so, so, alive is the best word I can come up with. You look sparkly, like you have a really big secret that's just too good to share with anyone,” said Hermione, sleepily.

Ginny smirked as she thought about how right Hermione was. Harry was her delicious secret, and she didn't want to share him with anybody, not yet. It was enough for now that Luna knew.

“Sparkly, Hermione? You sound like Luna,” grinned Ginny.

“She's a wise woman, our Luna. Seriously Gin, Henry seems like a nice guy. I say, go for it. Funny, though,” she said, yawning again and her eyes getting droopy.

“What's funny?” asked Ginny.

“Something about him reminds me of Harry. 'Night Gin,” said Hermione, turning over and going to sleep.

“Good night Hermione,” whispered Ginny, leaving the bedroom and going into her own. She wondered how much longer she could keep her knowledge a secret. She decided it was time to confront Henry/Harry.
















Back to index


Chapter 10: Chapter 10 January 11

Author's Notes: This is only a short chapter but of my favourites. Thanks for all the great reviews


Ch 10 Jan 11

Henry was a bit early but he was anxious to see Ginny. He'd enjoyed being with the girls last night, but again, the guilt of not revealing who he really was had stayed with him. Still, he was looking forward to spending time with Ginny, as he knew they both had to go away soon for their work. He was adamant he was going to tell her the truth tonight.

“Hello, Ginny are you there, I'm coming through?” called Henry, stepping through the floo. The lounge was empty, and there was no sign of her in the kitchen either. He was about to go down the hall when he heard her cry out out.

“Tin roof. Rusty.”

Henry was confused and looked up. The roof looked fine. What was going on?

He watched amused as Ginny came into the kitchen, dancing and singing. She had Jay's iPod with the earphones in, completely unaware of Henry's presence.

“Love shack, baby love shack. Love shack, baby AAAAAHHHH!” she screamed as she turned and saw Henry.

“You scared the shit out of me,” she said with her hand on her heart. Henry looked at her, and she looked at him. They both started laughing.

“Dinner and a show, lucky me,” said Henry.

“Prat,” she said, smiling. She went to get a glass of water, and it was then that Henry was aware of what she was wearing.

She only had on a matching bra and panty set , in a pale silky blue. She also had a garter belt and stockings on. Henry's mouth went dry and his groin tightened.

“I meant to tell you that Jamie left his iPod here, I owled him and he said to give it back to you when I saw you. I was curious and put it on, I'm really sorry, I-oof,”

Ginny was cut off as Henry came close and picked her up. She wrapped her legs around his waist, and returned his kisses passionately. She ran her hands through his hair, licking his ear as he nibbled on her neck.

“God Gin, you are amazing. You taste good, I can't get enough. I don't think I'll be able to go to dinner, knowing you're wearing that under your clothes,” he said, his hands running over her butt.

“Suddenly, I'm not hungry for food,” said Ginny in his ear. Henry groaned as she wiggled to get down. She took his hand and led him into her bedroom. She took her wand and waved it around, causing several candles to light up. Her dress that she was going to wear tonight was draped on the bed, so she picked it up and moved it to the chair on the corner.

Henry put his hands around her waist from behind and drew her close. She could feel how much he wanted her. He ran his hands up and over her chest, nuzzling her neck.

“Gin love, are you sure?” he asked, hesitantly.

She turned in his arms, reached behind to undo her bra and let it fall to the floor.

“Very sure,” she said.

With a groan, he picked her up again and carried her to the bed. He placed her gently on it, then lay down next to her, on his side. He ran his hand down her face, palming it, leaning in to kiss her hungrily. His hands drifted down further, touching her, making her squirm on the bed. She pulled him on top of her, and he settled between her legs.

He nuzzled and licked his way down her chest, making Ginny groan. The friction of their lower bodies was setting them both on fire.

Ginny unbuttoned his shirt, running her hands over his chest, this time it was Henry who groaned. He kissed her, they were both unable to get enough of each other.

Please, please make love with me,” Ginny groaned.

“Hang on,” said Henry, getting off the bed to take his clothes off. He shrugged his opened shirt off and toed his shoes off at the same time. He undid his pants and pulled them off, along with his briefs. It was a bit difficult, as he was quite aroused. Finally he was naked, and he made a move to get back on the bed.

“Take it off, please. I want to see,” begged Ginny.

Henry was confused. “Aah Gin, naked here! Nothing else to take off.”

Ginny looked at him. “Take off your glamour, love. I want to see you, the real you.”

Henry opened his mouth to deny it, but what was the point? He grabbed his wand and, with his eyes on her the whole time, reversed the glamour. It took seconds, but her eyes never wavered, never stopped looking at him, full of love. Finally it was over.

Harry Potter stood naked at the end of her bed. He waited for her to make the first move. Their eyes still locked, she held out her hand to him.

“Harry please, make love with me. It's been too long.”

Harry reached out and took her hand. He settled back between her legs, no barriers between them now. He felt her breath on him, her arms around him. And when he slid into her warmth, he felt he was home. Finally, all was right with his world.

After, he lay with his head on her chest, as she ran her fingers through his hair. He felt sated, at peace.

“How long have you known?” he asked.

“I think, looking back, I knew that first day you came here. I had my back to you, and I-I just felt a presence, like how I felt with you years ago. I could always sense where you were, when you came into the room. It felt just like that. I have never felt that with anybody else.”

“You asked lots of questions about my family and about friends from your year. Your writing is the same, a lot of your mannerisms haven't changed either. Your noble streak showed when you walked away from me the other night, I can only assume you were worried about us being together like this with you as Henry. Speaking of- Evans? That was a give away, although I had expected Evans or Black. When we were planning to leave together, we had talked about using glamours, so when I started putting it all together, your appearance was my least concern. The clincher however, was your son.”

“Jay?” asked Harry.

“James. James Evans Potter. With those beautiful green eyes I have missed so much. With that unruly hair that makes me want to tame it down, then mess it all up again. He is Harry Potter's son, through and through. He really has no idea about any of it, does he? That he is the son of Harry Potter?”

“No, he doesn't and I have no idea how to tell him. What if he hates me? What if he gets upset and does something bad. What if he turns into a pompous ass like Malfoy was?” he said, getting agitated.

Ginny scooted down the bed until they were laying side by side. She ran her hand over his face, and he leaned into her touch.

“Ssh love. One step at a time. There is a lot to figure out, yes, but it doesn't all have to be sorted tonight, does it?”

Harry shook his head and leaned his forehead against hers.

“Tonight is just about you and me. We are the only ones here, nobody else, no memories, no ghosts, no children, no worrying about the future. That's for tomorrow and the days after. Tonight belongs to us, we deserve it. I have missed you every single day, Harry. Let me show you how much.”

He nodded and groaned as she kissed her way down his body. Only Ginny had the power to make him feel like this. He gave himself over to the pleasure.





Back to index


Chapter 11: Chapter 11 January 12-26

Author's Notes: So overwhelmed for this story to be nominated in 3 categories, thanks so much. Also for the great reviews,


Ch 11 Jan 12-26

Ginny and Harry had spent the entire weekend together. Saturday was spent in bed, eating, reading the paper, talking but mostly making love. They only left the bed to have a shower together, which led to them making love again.

On the Sunday, Ginny told Harry she had something she wanted to show him. They got dressed and Harry put his glamour back on. Ginny agreed, saying where they were going he would need it on. This confused Harry, where was she taking him? She side along apparated with him. Harry was surprised to see he was on the front steps of No 12 Grimmauld Place.

“Ah, GP! Very clever, Gin,” said Harry. “The kids were talking about this place, the orphanage. I can't wait to see it.”

Ginny lead them inside. Harry was surprised at how bright the interior was now. There were no screaming portraits, instead there were children's drawings, surrounding a portrait of him. He was amazed, it was a really good photo, he was pleased to see. There was a plaque, and he went up close to read it. Welcome to Potter's Place,
A home for young witches and wizards in need.
We accept your past, support your present and
Encourage your future.

Ginny took his hand and showed him around. She introduced him to Mrs and Mr Burford, and they explained the workings of Potter's Place. They currently had ten children there, with two away at Hogwarts. When little Bradley came to Ginny and asked if Jay was coming, she explained to Harry that when she had brought Abby and Jay there after New Year, and Bradley had taken a shine to Jay.

Bradley took Harry upstairs to show him his room. Ginny told him that Madame Pomfrey came regularly to give the children health checks, and that George donated goods from WWW for the children's amusement. Once a child was five, they would go to school for half a day. The children did chores, the variety depended on their age. Ginny herself gave flying lessons for the eight years and older children. Molly came and gave cooking lessons and Arthur came and read stories to the younger children.

Harry was very impressed with all that he saw. Ginny also told him that they encouraged the older children who were at least sixteen, to do some kind of work experience in the summer holidays, especially if they had a career in mind. Ginny had lots of contacts, and didn't hesitate to use them.
Ginny was glad that Harry was happy with how she had spent some of his money doing GP up, and setting up the orphanage.

They stayed at GP most of the day, flooing back to Ginny's for tea. They discussed the set up at GP, with Harry giving advice from his dealings with some orphanages in the Muggle world. They ended up in bed again, before sadly having to say goodbye. The next day was a work day for Harry, and Ginny was leaving the day after for a match, and staying to do some interviews and meet up with some quidditch friends. A day after she got back, Harry was due to attend a conference in Ireland, where he would be gone for a week. With heavy hearts at being apart after just getting back together, they said their goodbyes.

Two weeks later, Ginny was sitting at home listening to the wireless, when her daughter's head appeared in the fire. Her voice was frantic.

“Mum, mum are you there, please be there?”

“Abby, sweety, I'm here, what's wrong?”asked Ginny.

“It's Jamie, he's in the hospital wing. He got hit by the Whomping Willow. Professor McGonogall has tried to get in touch with his Dad, but he hasn't responded. Jamie's really upset. What can we do, Mum?” Abby cried.

“Hang on love, step back, I'm coming through,” said Ginny. She stepped into the floo and said, “Hogwarts.”

Abby ran into her arms, crying. Ginny held her tight, stroking her hair. “Ssh love, calm down. How about you tell me what happened as we go to the hospital wing. Hmm, nice to see the Gryffindor common room still looks the same.”

They left the common room and headed downstairs to the third floor where the hospital wing was. She saw Neville and Professor McGonogall outside, talking quietly. She hurried over to them, greeting them both.

“Ah, Mrs Wood, I'm glad you were able to come so quickly. Abigail was most upset, and she thought you might be able to get in touch with Mr Evans,” said Professor McGonogall.

“Is Jamie alright, how bad is he injured? His dad is away for work for another few days, he's in Ireland, that's all I know. If he knew his son was injured, nothing would keep him away, I promise you that. There must be some reason he didn't get the message,” said Ginny.

“James has a broken arm, which Madame Pomfrey has mended. He's quite upset, however, and I thought a visit from his father may help,” said the Head Mistress.

“Would you mind if I went to see him, and maybe Abby?” asked Ginny, not sure if she was overstepping her bounds. “He knows me, he stayed with Abby and I after the New Year.”

“I think that would be all right, don't you, Professor Longbottom?” asked Professor McGonogall.

Neville nodded. “I think it's more the shock, at this stage. It's natural to want a parent close by, and if we can't get in contact with his dad, then I think that's a good option. Go ahead, Ginny, you too, Abby, but just for ten minutes or so, it's nearly curfew time.”

With a smile of gratitude at Neville, Ginny ushered Abby through the doors. Madame Pomfrey greeted them and pointed in the direction of Jamie's bed. They went over, Ginny had her arms around Abby's shoulders.

Jamie was lying on his side, facing away from them. Abby went around the bed, and saw that he was awake. He looked like he had been crying. Abby took his uninjured hand in hers.

“Jamie, how are you feeling?” she asked.

Jay sniffed. “Okay, I guess. Did you hear from my Dad, is he coming?”

“He's away for work, they haven't been able to get in touch with him. I'm sorry, Jamie,” said Abby, tearfully.

Jay eyes went downcast. “It's ok. I- I just wanted to see him, that's all.”

“Jamie, I hope you don't mind, but I called my Mum to see if she knew where your Dad was, and she was so worried that she came to visit. I know it's not the same as your Dad, but she wanted to make sure you were ok. She's here,” said Abby.

Jay rolled over, blushing when he saw Ginny there. “H-Hello, Mrs Wood.”

“Hello Jamie, I'm sorry we can't get in touch with your Dad, honey. Are you in any pain?” she asked.

“No, Madame Pomfrey fixed me up straight away,” he replied.

“How did it happen? Abby said it was the Whomping Willow,” asked Ginny.

Abby and Jamie looked at each other, communicating silently. Ginny suspected they had been up to some sort of mischief.

“Um, well you see-”

“It was my fault, Mum!” blurted out Abby.

Ginny looked at her daughter, waiting for an explanation.

“We were outside watching Sirius do some flying tricks. I had Bolt with me, but he ran away. Jay and I jumped up to chase him, and he ran under the branches of the Whomping Willow. Jay did the freezing spell, and we raced in and grabbed Bolt. He was curled up right near the base of the tree. It looked like he was leaning on a lever or some sort, so we pushed it, and this tunnel appeared. We decided to go check it out, we followed a path quite way before we started going up. Mum, you wouldn't believe it, we were in the Shrieking Shack. It wasn't as scary as we thought it would be,” said Abby.

“We've heard lots of stories from the older kids in the common room, saying the place is haunted. They say the people of Hogsmeade have heard screams and howls coming from there at least once a month. It's supposed to be the most haunted place in Britain. We didn't see anything scary, did we, Abs?” asked Jay.

Abby shook her head. “Anyway, we thought we better head back before we were missed. We came out and the tree was still frozen, but I guess the spell wore off. We were nearly clear when it started moving again. Bolt ran clear, but a branch was coming right at me. Jamie pushed me out the way, and he took the hit himself. He saved my life, Mum,” said Abby dramatically.

“It certainly sounds like it. Thank you, Jamie, for looking after Abby. It was very brave. It's quite an advanced spell for you, isn't it? I don't remember learning 'Immobulus' till my second year,” commented Ginny.

“Oh, Jay is the best in our Charms class, and he borrowed a second years charm book, just to read ahead. He's so clever, Mum,” gushed Abby. Jay blushed again.

The curtain around Jay's bed moved, and Neville's head appeared around the corner. “Sorry to interrupt, but Abby, it's time for you to head back to the common room. Sorry, Ginny.”

“Oh please, can't I stay longer?” begged Abby. Ginny shook her head.

“No love, off you go, I'll stay a bit longer with Jamie, if he doesn't mind? Come and give me a hug.”

Ginny gathered her daughter in her arms and hugged her tightly. “Love you, Mum,” whispered Abby.

“Love you too, Abs,” whispered Ginny back to her daughter.

“Bye Jamie, I'll come and see you in the morning, ok?” asked Abby. Jamie nodded, and with a wave, she left, followed by Neville.

Ginny went and sat down next to the bed. “I'm sorry we can't get in touch with your Dad. Did you-would you like me to see if we can get your Mum here?” she asked hesitantly. She wasn't sure if Harry would approve, but she knew a child needed a parent when they were sick or injured, for emotional reassurance.

“You would do that, go and get my Mum?” asked Jay, perking up a bit.

“I would need to check with the Head Mistress, but I think she would agree, yes.” said Ginny.

Jay quickly deflated. “I don't think she'll come. I haven't had a letter or anything since we got back to Hogwarts. She told me at Christmas to write, and she'd send a reply straight away, but I haven't heard anything. I-I don't think she loves me any more, since I found out I'm a wizard,” he said, trying not to cry again.

“Oh sweety, I'm sure that's not true. It's probably just been a huge shock for her, and she hasn't adjusted to it as well as you have. Some Muggles are like that. Some think it's great, and wish they could be like us, and some just don't understand it and wish they didn't know it existed. Then there are the ones who think it's bad, that we do bad things. They don't even want to try and understand or accept us, and they can be quite rude and hurtful,” explained Ginny, thinking of the Dursley's.

“I think my Mum wished I wasn't magical at all,” groaned Jay.

“Maybe. But, as a mum, I'm sure she wants the best for you, it's just not the best she thought it was going to be. You are a wizard, that is who you are. Hopefully she will accept that soon, and then you can share that part of your life with her. The more she knows about it, the more she will understand, and that is the first step to acceptance. Right now, she's probably just worried because you are far away, and she's missing you.”

“Then why hasn't she written to me, if she misses me? She didn't spend much time with me at Christmas, she was busy with her new boyfriend. I didn't even want to be there any more. I couldn't wait to leave and go to Dad's.”

“Sweetie, I don't know your Mum, but I can tell you, without a doubt, she loves you. She's just confused. Would you like me to go and get her. Maybe you need to have a good talk with her,” suggested Ginny.

Jay yawned. “Nah, it's getting late. When Dad gets home, I'll write to him. Maybe he can go and talk with Mum.”

“That's a good idea, sweety. He should be home in the next few days,” reassured Ginny.

Madame Pomfrey came over and checked Jay's arm and tucked him in. She also handed him a potion to drink. “Strengthening Potion for your arm. Lights out in ten minutes. Mrs Wood, you're welcome to stay a bit longer,” she said.

Jay looked at Ginny anxiously. “Maybe I'll just stay till he's asleep. If you don't mind?” she asked Jay.

Jay shook his head, looking pleased. He drank the potion and settled back in the bed.

Ginny scooted closer, holding his hand and stroking it. “Let me tell you a story about one of my brothers. A girl had left a box of Honeydukes chocolates for Ha-his best friend, but Ron got to it first, and ate loads of them. He didn't realise the girl had placed a love potion in them,” chuckled Ginny.

“Why would she want to put a love potion in them, waste of good chocolates if you ask me,” said Jay sleepily.

“The love potion would make Ha- er, his best friend fall in love with her. Instead, Ron did. And he hadn't even met her! Luckily, his best friend took him to Professor Slughorn, he was our Potions Professor, and he mixed an antidote for Ron,” finished Ginny.

“Wasn't Harry Potter best friends with your brother Ron?” asked Jay, barely able to keep his eyes awake. “Did you know Harry Potter, Mrs Wood? We're starting to learn about him in our History of Magic lessons,” said Jay. He was asleep as he finished the sentence.

Ginny patted his hand and stood up. Madame Pomfrey came over. “I put a sleeping draught in his potion too. He should sleep right through the night, give his arm plenty of time to mend. It's good to see you again, Mrs Wood, thank you for being there for him.”

Ginny quietly said goodbye to her, and left. To her surprise, Neville was waiting outside for her.

“He asleep?” he asked. Ginny nodded.

“You can use the floo in my office to get home, if you like. Want a cuppa before you go?” he asked.

“No thanks, Nev. I'm pretty tired, think I just want to go home. How's Abby doing in her lessons?”

“Good, she's one of the top in her year. Probably top in DADA. Jay's tops in Potions and Charms. They're good kids. I'll give them a bit of a talking to tomorrow. How's the family?”

“Everyone's good. How's things with you, you seeing anyone, Professor?” asked Ginny.

Neville shrugged. “I'm not ready to put myself out there yet, Gin. You know the divorce wasn't my idea, it was all Hannah's. It bloody well hurt, and I'm not going through that again any time soon, said Neville vehemently.

“I'm sorry, Nev, I actually thought it was a mutual decision. How's your Gran?” asked Ginny, changing the subject.

“She's doing good, still keeps active, goes out to lunches a lot with her friends. She's got a better social life than I do,” said Neville gloomily.

Ginny hugged him. “Maybe I can set you up with a nice girl in the summer holidays. Or, if you like, not a nice girl, if you know what I mean,” she said, giving him a nudge with her elbow and a wink.

He laughed hollowly. “Maybe. I'm thinking of going overseas in the holidays, tracking down exotic plants, maybe go to Africa,” he said.

“Sounds good. I better go, take care, Nev,” Ginny said as she got into the floo and headed for home.












Back to index


Chapter 12: Chapter 12 February 1

Author's Notes: Getting some great reviews, thanks so much, they definitely inspire me to write more. In this chapter we learn about Ginny's life after Harry left, and Harry reconnects with two people from his past, and realises how important he is to them.


Chapter 13 Feb 2

Harry woke early, looking around the unfamiliar room. He glanced to his right, to see Ginny with her bare back to him. He lay back, looking at the ceiling. If he had one wish, it would be for his son to have a peaceful life, but that was sure to be shot out of the water any time now. Harry was second guessing all his decisions now, but that really didn't help anything.

“Stop it,” murmured a sleepy voice. Ginny. He looked into her eyes and smiled. She smiled back.

“You're re-thinking your whole life, aren't you?” she said.

Harry wasn't surprised Ginny knew what he was thinking. She knew him better than anyone, sometimes better than himself. He rolled onto his side, drawing her close. He needed her warmth, in so many ways.

“Just the parts since I left,” he confessed. She drew him into her arms, offering comfort. It was a waste to tell him to stop, this was her Harry, who over thought everything, especially when it came to those he loved.

“Gin, last night, I told you about my life when I left. Will you tell me yours? I know you made a great career from quidditch, and I assume that's where you met Oliver. What happened between you. How did he die? He was my first quidditch captain, he was a top bloke, I can't believe he's gone.” said Harry, sadly.

“I know. It really was a tragedy. I met Ollie when we were both selected for the World Cup in 2001. I'd had a pretty fast ride with the Harpy's, we just missed out on the finals in 2000, but had a great year in 2001. We won the league, and I got Player and Chaser of the Year. Making the World Cup side was a dream come true.”

“Wow, Gin, I knew you would be great. That's amazing, that you had so much success in such a short time,” said Harry.

Ginny nodded. “I know. I didn't really have much else going on with my life outside quidditch. I wasn't dating, always training. Any free time off I had was spent at home catching up with the family, or spending time with Teddy,” said Ginny.

Harry sighed. “I've let Teddy down, too, haven't I? God, I never would have thought I was that kind of person. Last time I saw him he was nearly a year old, now he's what, fifteen, sixteen?”

“Sixteen next month,” said Ginny. “He's another one who could be affected by this. Harry, you weren't in a position to be there for him, all those years ago. I'm not saying what you did was right, but you did what was right for you. No one could deny you that.”

Harry shrugged, not sure if he agreed. “Go on, tell me about you and Oliver,” he said.

“I was glad to see a familiar face in the squad, traditionally there's not many females in the World Cup, and that year there was only me and another, but she got injured. Oliver knew Fred and George, of course, and he talked about you. No one really talked to me about you any more, they knew it upset me, but Ollie didn't know our history. It was easy to talk to him, about you, Hogwarts, anything. We got closer. It made me realise how lonely I was, that outside quidditch I had nothing. We were soon considered a couple, although we really weren't, then. I admit, though, it was nice to have someone to go to dinner with, to hug after a bad training session, to have a friend to turn to.”

She took a breath, but continued. “The media soon picked up on it. It had been a long time since England were in the World Cup, so the media frenzy was huge. Once they found out about me and Ollie, we became the quidditch sweethearts. It was crazy, but Ollie loved it. He loved the attention, the fame. He asked me to go along with it, pretend to be his girlfriend, and that we would 'break up' later. I didn't really want to, I hated all the attention, but he'd been a good friend to me, so I said yes.”

“They even played up the angle that I was seeing Ollie while you were away with Ron and Hermione, and when you found out about us you decided to leave. You know, 'Hogwarts love triangle,'” she said bitterly.

“God, I got enough of that crap with me, Ron and Hermione. Bastards!” he said vehemently.

Ginny nodded. “I know. Anyway, the media got worse when we actually won. The team was all hugging and celebrating, and then Ollie kissed me. I was so stunned, I didn't even react. That was the photo on the front page of the Prophet the next day. Crazy, huh? Anyway, we had been promised a trip to America if we won, I admit, it was good to get away for a bit. We'd done promotional tours and the likes, bringing the Cup to the fans to celebrate. They'd push for me and Ollie to do more and more, I was wiped out, but he loved it.”

“We had some down time while we were in America, they really didn't care too much what was happening in England, quidditch isn't as popular over there, so we had a bit more anonymity. We did have a press guy following us around, and he was feeding stories back to the Prophet. I still reckon he was the one to put the idea into Ollie's head, but I'll never know. It was my own fault anyway, for drinking too much that night,” surmised Ginny, lost in her thoughts.

“Woah, back up a bit, what are you talking about?” said Harry, confused.

“I was done with the tour, just wanted to go home. I was so homesick. The World Cup was played in what would have been our holiday break from the regular season. With the schedule as it was, by the time we returned to England, it would have been time to return to our own teams for the regular season. I would have no time to catch up with the family, or Teddy. I'd miss seeing Luna and Neville. I had a niece born, I hadn't even seen, little Dominique. I went out that night and had a bit too much to drink, but I was determined that the next day I was heading home.”

“So, what happened?”

“We were in a place called Las Vegas. Some of the guys in the team were playing in the casino, some winning, some losing. It wasn't really my thing, so I went to a show. Ollie came too, it was about a King, he sang some good songs. After his show, he announced that if you wanted him to, anyone could go to the chapel next door and he would marry you. Soooo-”

“Wait, are you saying you and Oliver had a quickie Vegas wedding performed by Elvis?” asked Harry increduously. He burst out laughing. “Is that even legal?”

Ginny sighed, smiling wryly. “Oh yes, don't worry, I checked my wedding certificate carefully, and got Hermione to do so when I got back to England. It was all legal. And the marriage had been, er, you know...”

“Consummated?” asked Harry, quietly. Ginny nodded.

“We got back to England and told our families. Ollie's parents were happy about it, mine were too, I guess. We found a place to live, it was close to the Wood's family home. Ollie was really close to his parents, especially his Dad. We agreed we'd keep our quidditch life as separate as we could, especially when we were due to play each other. Pre season training started, and things seemed to be going well, but then I got sick.”

“Sick? Were you okay? You're okay now, right?” said Harry, sitting up on his side to peer down at her anxiously.

“I was pregnant, Harry. I had to stop playing quidditch. The funny thing is, I didn't mind. From the moment I found out that I was pregnant, I loved my baby, and just wanted to be a good mum.”

“You're a great mum, Gin. Abby's a great girl, and she's been a great friend to Jay. She's a credit to you,” said Harry, leaning down to kiss her softly.

She deepened the kiss, but pulled back. “Thank you. Ollie was a great Dad too, and he adored her. We were happy, but we were never able to have any more kids. I would have liked another one or two. We had a really good life, Ollie had a good, long career. In 2010, Puddlemere was having a great year, and Ollie was on his way to a hat trick. Keeper of the Year, Captain of the Year, Player of the Year. All they had to do was win that last game, and they'd be Champions of 2010. He'd started to talk about retiring,” said Ginny sadly.

“What happened?” asked Harry.

“They were playing against the Falcons, the Falmouth Falcons. It was a fluke they were there, although they had had a good season. No one expected them to beat the Montrose Magpies, but they did. You know the Falcons are known for their hard play, and it wasn't always fair play either. It was such a tight game, really fast paced. The Chasers for both sides were finding it hard to score, so it was going to come down to who got the Snitch. The game started to get a bit desperate and dirty, on the Falcon's side, anyway. Three hours later, and the Snitch was finally sighted. The Seekers were frantically trying to get it, the whole crowd was on their feet, hoping this was going to be the end of it. Puddlemere's Seeker just about had it, he was slightly in front. The problem was they were heading straight for the goals. I don't really know what he was thinking, but one of the Falcon's beaters pushed Ollie into the path of the Seekers, and they crashed into him, pushing him into a goal post. He hit his head and fell. They don't know whether hitting his head or the fall to the ground killed him. All the players from Puddlemere were celebrating, because it was their Seeker who had caught the Snitch. I just stood there, watching him laying on the ground, not moving, and I knew, I just knew he was gone. I tried to shield Abby from it, but Ollie's dad was with us at the game, and he knew too,” finished Ginny, a tear running down her cheek.

“God Gin, that's horrible. I'm so sorry. For you and Abby, for his parents. It sounds like he was still at the top of his game, too.”

“Yes, he was. He wanted to win so bad, go out on top. Ollie's parents were devastated. Abby and I moved in there with them for about eighteen months, to be close to them. Ollie's dad died about six month's after Ollie, it was like he lost the will to live. Abby and I moved here about eighteen months ago. It was time. Ollie's mum Gail is great, but she was starting to push quidditch on to Abby a little bit too much for my liking, telling her she had to make her dad proud. She likes quidditch, but she's not as crazy about it as her Dad was, and that's fine.”

Ginny's stomach rumbled. Harry leaned down and kissed her gently. “How about I make us some breakfast, bring it back here?” he asked. Ginny nodded, and he left, returning some time after with pancakes and coffee.

“Mmm perfect,” sighed Ginny, sipping her coffee, the remnants of their breakfast around them. She got up to take the dirty dishes to the kitchen, returning to find Harry getting dressed.

“Sorry love, I think I left my phone at home. I'll just need to go home and check for messages, thought I may as well have a shower while I'm there. I'll come back and we'll go to the Burrow,” suggested Harry, sounding worried.

Ginny drew him into her arms. “It will be fine. Yes, it will be a shock for the family, especially Ron and Hermione. We'll all put our heads together and we'll come up with an idea. You're not alone any more, Harry.”

Harry smiled. “You know, Jay told me about meeting the famous Ron Weasley. He was quite impressed with him. I always thought Ron would be godfather to our, er, my son.”

“How about we start with Mum and Dad, and then maybe call in Ron and Hermione. That might be enough for one night. You know, once Hermione's involved, she'll find a solution to your situation. Ron, well, Ron will just want to see you, spend time with you. They really missed you, Harry.”

“I've missed them too. Ok, I'm going but I'll be back soon. Bye, love,” he said, kissing her goodbye and stepping into the floo.

He returned half an hour later, with his glamour back on. "Hey Gin, I'm back. Listen love, I'm not able to go the Burrow, I've got to be some place in an hour for work. Have you seen my watch? I may have left in on your bedside table, it's the one your Dad gave me,” he called, checking the cushions on the lounge. He walked into the kitchen and froze. Sitting at the table were Molly and Arthur.

“I,er, I-I...” he sent a helpless look at Ginny.

“I gave you a watch, young man? I don't understand? I've only ever given a watch to my boys on their seventeenth birthdays,” said Arthur.

“No sir, you gave me one too, and it was on my seventeenth birthday,” corrected Harry.

Arthur looked from Henry to Ginny to Molly.

“Henry, why don't you go down to the bedroom and see if it's there,” suggested Ginny. Harry was glad to escape the room, he needed a minute to think. He found the watch and came back to the kitchen. He knew his time had come. He smiled at the irony.

Everyone looked up as he re entered the kitchen. “Was it there?” asked Ginny. He nodded.

“May I” asked Arthur, holding out his hand. Harry hesitated, then handed the watch to Arthur. He took it and looked at it, his head jerking up almost immediately.

“Where did you get this from?” he demanded angrily. Harry was shocked at the anger in his voice.

“WHERE?” he yelled.

“Dad?” asked Ginny, as Molly said ,“Arthur?” uncertainly.

“This watch belonged to one of my boys. He's been gone for a long time. I want to know where you got it from, and I want to know now,” said Arthur determinedly.

“Mr Weasley, please,” said Harry weakly. He had never seen Mr Weasley like this.

“Ha-Henry, I think you know what you have to do,” said Ginny in a small voice, her eyes on her father. He was shaking, looking at the watch. Her mum had moved to stand next to him, and she gasped as she looked at the watch, too.

Harry took out his wand, and Arthur moved to stand in front of Molly and Ginny. Harry pointed the wand at himself and said 'Finite.' He felt the changes occur, but he kept his eyes on the Weasley's.

He saw the recognition in their eyes, and their mouths fell open. Molly was close to fainting, he was sure. Tears were in her eyes, her hand covering her mouth. Arthur came toward him, slowly as if he couldn't believe it.

“H-Harry? It's really you?” said Arthur, in disbelief. He handed the watch back to Harry. Harry looked down at it for a few seconds. He looked up at Mr Weasley.

“You DID give me this watch for my seventeenth birthday, at the Burrow,” he insisted.

Arthur came and put his hands on Harry's shoulders. “You're right. But so am I. I said I gave it to one of my boys, and now my boy is back. Welcome Home, Harry,” said Arthur, taking Harry into his arms for a hug.

Harry clung to Mr Weasley, tears in his eyes. This wonderful family had accepted him all those years ago, had made him a member of the family and asked for nothing in return. Now, years later, this easy acceptance again only increased his guilt.

Mr Weasley stepped back, smiling broadly. Harry had time to catch a glimpse of Ginny's smiling face, when he was engulfed in another hug, this time from Mrs Weasley. She took his face in her hands, looking him over, before hugging him again, murmuring again and again, “Harry, Harry, Harry.”

Molly finally let him go, and they all moved back to sit at the table. Arthur spoke first.

“I don't really know what to ask first. Where have you been, how have you been, when and why did you come back, does Ron know, are you and Ginny back together? Take your pick?” he said, smiling.

Harry took a breath. “I've been working in Muggle London, I'm a social worker, specialising in kids and domestic violence. I haven't seen Ron yet, we were actually planning to come to the Burrow today, but I've got a situation I need to deal with for work, which is what I came to tell Ginny. In fact, I really need to leave now. I-I'm so sorry. I will see you soon,” he promised.

Ginny got up to walk him to the floo. “Is it okay if I share some things with them? Nothing too personal, just our immediate concerns?” she asked.

“Yes, that's fine. I just can't believe they accepted me back, just like that. Your Dad freaked me out a bit back there, I've never seen him like that. He called me one of his boys, did you hear that, Gin?”

Ginny smiled. “ A Weasley protects their own. You may not be a Weasley by blood, but you are by choice. We always used to say you were Mum's favourite. Trust me, that scary Dad face you just saw? Quite a few reporters saw that side of Dad after you left, he wouldn't hear a bad word said against you. It was Dad that encouraged me to protect your name, legally. It was Dad who would always raise a glass for you on your birthday, and he did the same for Fred. You are one of his boys, don't doubt that, Harry,” she said, hugging him.

He hugged her back, reluctant to go, but knew he must. “I'll floo later?” he suggested, hopefully.

She shook her head. “I'm off to Germany tomorrow, for a match the day after. I should be gone four or five days. Timing's lousy, I know. What about if we plan to tell Ron and Hermione next weekend?” she asked.

“Let's wait and see. We'll catch up when you get back and take it from there. Bye, love,” he said, kissing her goodbye.

Ginny went back to the kitchen, to see her mum dabbing her eyes with a hanky. Even her Dad's eyes looked moist. “So, you and Harry, again?” asked Molly. “How did this happen?”

Ginny smiled. “Your granddaughter met Harry's son on the train to Hogwarts, and they became best friends. Can you believe it? They wanted to spend some time together in the Christmas holidays, so we had Jamie from the New Year till they went back to school. I had to meet Harry, who was being Henry, so we could work out the details. In a way, I kind of knew then. I was attracted to him, so we spent more time together. Every time I left him, I was more convinced it was Harry. He only revealed himself to me recently, though.” She smiled at the memory of that special night.

“Jamie? Jamie Evans? Oh, how could I not have seen it. He was at the Burrow, with the young Malfoy boy. He loved my treacle tart. Just like his father,” sniffed Molly.

Ginny nodded. “James Evans Potter, to be exact. When Harry disappeared into the Muggle world, he became Henry Evans. He went to university and became a social worker. He met a girl, they got married and had James. The marriage went downhill when James' magical abilities surfaced. His mum tried to deny who he was, even hiding his Hogwarts letter. James only found out he was a wizard two days before he left to go to Hogwarts. He has no idea that he is the son of Harry Potter, and all that goes with that. Harry has no idea how to tell him, or even how he wants to handle telling anyone, especially the media. Imagine how scary it will be for James. It will also affect Abby and Scorpius Malfoy, as the media will re hash all that went on between Harry and Draco. We'll have to discuss things with Teddy, too. Harry wants to make sure they will all be protected, but we really don't know the best way to deal with it all. The children are our first priority,” said Ginny.

“Merlin's beard, there's a lot of things to consider, isn't there?” asked Arthur, astounded. “How does Harry begin to make James understand about the war, about the part he played? It will be a lot for an 11 year old to take in,” said Arthur.

“Harry was only 11 when he fought Quirrell,” reminded Ginny.

“He was nearly 12, and he wasn't told the full extent of his involvement by Dumbledore,” said Molly.

“Harry hated that things were kept from him. I don't think he'll do that to James,” said Ginny.

“He seemed a fine boy, when I met him. So Abby and James are best friends. That will make it easy, won't it?” said Molly.

“Make what easy?” asked Ginny, confused.

“You and Harry, back together. It can be so hard if the children don't get along, but if they're best friends, well, that's a hurdle overcome already.”

“Mum!” said Ginny, smiling. Then she grew serious. “Mum, Dad, I've given it a lot of thought. One of the possibilities for the future is that Harry will choose to raise James away from England. If the media gets too crazy, and if James isn't coping, I could see that as a real possibility,” she said.

Molly and Arthur both nodded. Ginny went on.

“If-if it comes to that, I'm prepared to go with him. Wherever he goes. If he wants me to, Abby and I will go with Harry and James, wherever he chooses to go.”

Molly gasped, but Arthur took Ginny's hand and squeezed it.

“I want you to know that Harry and I haven't even discussed this yet. There's so many things I've been thinking that we could do, but James is the unknown factor in all of this. Even if we were to leave, it brings other problems into it, Jamie's mum and Oliver's mum being the first thing that comes to mind. It wouldn't be like we couldn't stay in touch, or even visit. All I know is that I can't be without Harry again, I can't,” she said with tears in her eyes.

Arthur took his daughter in his arms. “We'll find a way, sweetheart. We'll find a way to get the kids through this. You and Harry deserve your chance to be together. We'll tell the family and we'll come up with a plan,” he said.

Ginny sniffed. “He wants to just tell Ron and Hermione next. That's going to be quite emotional for him, for all of them. Personally, I'll feel better when Hermione knows, if she can't come up with something, then I'm not a Weasley,” declared Ginny.

“Hopefully, soon, you'll be a Potter,” said Molly, joining her husband and their daughter in a hug.

“Actually Mum, I was thinking of making him take the name Weasley,” teased Ginny, with a wink at her Dad.

“He's a Weasley no matter what his name is, same as his son,” declared Molly.

“Thank you, both of you. For making it easy for him. He's got a hard road ahead, he's so worried Jamie will reject him for being Harry Potter, and once that can of worms is opened, there'll be no going back to being Henry Evans. He will need all the family behind him. I know you still have loads of questions for him, but please, let him tell you in his own time. We'll probably be at the Burrow next weekend, we plan to tell Ron and Hermione then. If that goes well, we'll open it up to the rest.

“All right love, for now, it's enough to know Harry's back. I'm sure Hermione will ask enough questions for all of us anyway. I think Ron will just be glad to have his best friend back. Now, why don't you put the kettle on again, and we'll have a cuppa, and you can tell me how my beautiful granddaughter is going at Hogwarts!” said Arthur.









Back to index


Chapter 13: Chapter 13 February 6-9

Author's Notes: Harry talks to his ex, and gets a letter from Jay.


Chapter 13 Feb 6

Harry stood out the front of his old home. He had a day off, and had decided to come and talk to Jay's mum, Jess. Ginny was away, and he was surprised at how much he missed her. She had only just returned to his life, yet now he couldn't imagine his life without her.

He knocked on the door, he never used his key. Jess greeted him and moved aside to let him enter. He was glad that they had remained friendly since their divorce, at least until Jay's magical abilities had re-surfaced and couldn't be ignored.

It was only as they went into the drawing room that Harry realised she had her arm in a cast, she had a long sleeve shirt covering it.

“Jess, what happened? Are you okay?” he asked.

“I'm fine. It happened last week, I slipped in the shower. It's not a bad break, it's just the wrist. Luckily, it's not the hand I write with, so I haven't had to miss much time off work, just a couple of days,” she said.

“You know you can call me if you need me, especially with things like that,” said Harry.

She nodded, and smiled. “I had Barry to look after me, he's a guy I've been seeing. He spent Christmas with Jay and me. He's a relief teacher, it's how we met. Why are you here, Henry? Is everything okay with Jay? Is he doing okay at school?” she asked.

Harry beamed. “I just had a meeting with the Head Mistress, and he's doing well. He's top in Charms, and he and one of his best friends are top in Potions. He likes all his classes, and he loves flying, he's a natural!”

Jess looked confused. “Potions, Charms, flying, how are these going to help him in the real world, Henry? What about Mathematics, Geography, English? How are your subjects going to help him get into a decent University?”

“Jess, those subjects will get him a good career in so many different areas in my world. I tried to tell you about this before he left for Hogwarts, but you didn't want to listen. You have to accept this. If Jay wants to stay in the wizarding world, I will support him, and if he wants to return to this life, I will support him in that, too,” said Harry.

“I feel that I've lost my son, Henry. You know we never even contemplated boarding school for him, we both said we'd miss him too much. I was looking forward to guiding him through high school, and into a decent university. Now, I feel as though I don't have the right to make choices for my own son any more. How can I help him, guide him on things I know nothing about. All he talked about at Christmas was Hogwarts, and a giant squid, and a Hagrid, being up at midnight at the top of a tower to learn Astronomy and the names of his favourite spells. How can I help him with things like that?” she asked.

“He wants to tell you so you will understand. He will always need his mum, no matter what he decides to do. He finally fits in there, don't you see? He is a wizard, as much as you don't want him to be one. He is doing good at school and he has friends, good friends. He's happy. What more could a parent want for their child? He loves the wizarding world,” said Harry.

“ If it's so good, why did you leave, Henry? When you first told me about it, about you being a- a wizard, you just said you had been through a war, and you needed to get away from all the bad memories. Are you going to leave your job, and be a wizard all the time now? This feels so strange, it's like you are two different people,” cried Jess, unaware of how accurate she was.

“I told you I was very involved in the war. When it was over, people were looking to me for answers, to show them the way ahead. I wasn't emotionally able to do that, I was having enough trouble just getting through each day, let alone worry about the entire wizarding world. That's why I left. Since I've been back, I've started to see how my leaving has affected a lot of people. I told you I lost a lot of people I was close to, but when I left, I left behind people who were practically my family. I saw a couple the other day, they were as good as parents to me, and it was quite emotional. There are other people I want to see, friends who were as close as siblings to me. We went through so much together, and I hurt them when I left, I realise that now. I really didn't intend to be away as long as I have,” said Harry.

“I see,” said Jess, bitterly. “So I lose my son and my husband to something I can never be a part of, can never tell anyone about. You're going to throw away your career, all you've worked for, just like that! Will you be able to get a similar job if you go back there? Will you be close to Jay if you get a new job?”

“I don't know what sort of job I could get there now. I hadn't even thought that far ahead. I just wanted Jay to get settled. He misses you, Jess, will you please write to him. He said he hasn't heard from you since Christmas,” said Harry.

“I don't know what to write. Does he want to hear about things back here, does he even care any more? I-I miss him Henry, so much,” said Jess.

“Tell him that. Ask him about his lessons. If you ask the questions, you'll get the answers and you'll know what's going on his mind. I'm sure he'd love to bring his friends for a visit, maybe in the summer holidays,” said Harry.

“Will they be able to do magic?” asked Jess, nervously.

“No, they can't do magic outside Hogwarts until they are 17, when they are legal adults in the wizarding world,” explained Harry.

“These friends, are they good people for our Jay?” she asked.

Harry thought about Abby, which lead him to think about Ginny. “They are the best. The girl he met on the train, Abby? She is related to the family I was telling yo u about earlier, the ones that practically adopted me. They are good, decent people, Jess.”

“So, is that how you met up with them again, through Jay and Abby? Small world, isn't it!” she said, smiling.

“You have no idea! Anyway, I should go. I'll pop back tonight, about 5, for the letter to Jay? I'm sending one off too, so I can send them together. I'll see you then,” said Harry, giving her a quick hug before leaving.






February 9
Dear Dad,

How are you? Things are good here. My arm is all better, I didn't miss any flying lessons, thank goodness. Abby says I'm getting better, the new broom is a big help. Scor and I and some of the first years have got a group together and we go flying together on a Saturday morning. Abby has shown us some of the things her Dad used to do in training, drills and stuff. I really think Abby should have tried out for the Gryffindor team, but first years aren't allowed on the team, I think it only happened once before.

I got a letter from Mum, she asked lots of questions about school and my friends. Mum said maybe my friends could come and visit me or even stay for a few days in the summer holidays, and I can show them the Muggle world. That sounds pretty good, Abs and Scor were excited when I told them. Is Mum still seeing that man, Barry? I don't like him, and I don't want him to be there when my friends are there. I guess I'll need to tell her that. Do you think she'll get mad?

It's Valentine's Day next week. All the girl's are getting excited about it, mostly the older girls in the common room, but some in my year, too. The guys in my year don't seem too fussed about it. I thought about giving one to someone, but now I'm not sure. What if she gives me one? Abs told me her mum gave someone a singing Valentine's one year, I would be embarrassed if that happened to me. Are you sending out any Valentine's this year, Dad? Abby wants to know.

We're doing a lot more studying these days. Exams are in June, and I want to do well. I know it's still a way off, but I've been thinking about my subjects for next year. I think I'm going to add Ancient Runes and Arithmancy to my subjects. It seems a bit of a cop out to do Muggle studies when I've lived as one for 11 years.

We've been learning about the first and second wars. Head Mistress McGonogall takes a lesson a week in History of Magic. We've been learning about boys called Tom Riddle and Harry Potter. He sounds creepy, Riddle I mean. Why would anyone want to live forever, he wouldn't have his family or friends around him cos they would all die, and he would be alone? Abby told me, when he was older, he went to a house to try and kill Harry Potter when he was a baby, but he couldn't do it. Why would he want to hurt a baby? Harry's Mum loved him so much it gave him protection against Riddle. Both his Mum and Dad died, and he had to go and live with Muggle relations, and they weren't nice to him. He only found out he was a wizard when he was 11, just like me. I really wish that I could just talk to Harry Potter and understand everything.

I miss you Dad, I'll write to you and Mum soon,

Love Jay.

PS I had a letter from Abby's Uncle Ron. He's actually Ron Weasley. He was in Gryffindor like us. Did you know him? Anyway, he wrote to me and gave me a list of Chudley Cannon games, he said to pick one and he would get tickets for me, Scor and Abby. We're thinking either a Harpies game or Tornadoes, that's Scor's team. I'll give you the dates in my next letter, maybe you can come too. The other kids were impressed that I got a letter from the Ron Weasley.

Bye, Jay.

Harry finished reading the letter to Ginny. She rested her head on his shoulder.

“What do you think about this lesson that McGonogall is taking. Do you think it's too soon. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I'm just not sure it's the right time,” said Ginny.

Harry tightened his hold on her. “I agree, and I told Minerva that when I last saw her. I think a letter should have gone out to the parents, asking their opinion. I would have said no, that I would rather tell my son my way. I'm sure Draco would have done the same. You would too, wouldn't you?”

Ginny nodded. “I probably would have sat her down with Mum and Dad, Ron and Hermione. I still might. I, er, I've been thinking maybe we should bring the kids home for Easter, and talk to them about everything then.”

“My mind is constantly going over and over as to how I begin to explain everything to him,” said Harry.

“Well, maybe these lessons will give you an opening. From the letter, it seems they are just learning about your family's involvement. If the lessons really bother you, why don't you write to McGonogall, asking her to stop, or remove Jay from the class?”

“Actually, I have a bit of an idea, I just don't know how to execute it properly yet. It will depend on how things go with Ron and Hermione this weekend,” said Harry, nervously anticipating their reactions.

“Harry, I told you, it will be fine. Sure, there will be tears and I'll probably have to tear either Hermione or Mum off you. Once they get their hands on you, they won't want to let you go. So, should I send the owls, asking them to meet us at the Burrow?” she asked.

Harry nodded, but his mind was distracted as he thought about Jay's letter. If his idea worked, he would need to see McGonogall again, and get in touch with Draco and Neville. Letters would need to be sent to the parents, how could they keep something like this a secret from the media? What if-

“Hey, come back to me,” Ginny laughed. “You're thinking ten steps ahead, aren't you?”

“I'm sorry. You now have my undivided attention. Have I told you I missed you? How beautiful you look? How I thought about you all the time? How I-”

“Harry, shut up and kiss me!” said Ginny.

He did.





Back to index


Chapter 14: Chapter 14 February 15

Author's Notes: Harry finally gets to meet Ron and Hermione in this chapter, and they help him make some decisions


Chap 13 Feb 15

Harry nervously apparated through the wards of the Burrow. As Ginny joined him, she took his hand as they headed to the house. Neither spoke, just taking comfort in the presence of the other.

Harry was both excited yet nervous to finally see and speak with Ron and Hermione as Harry. He was also glad to have Ginny's support.

They made their way to the house and went inside. Upon learning that Ron and Hermione had gone for a walk, Ginny offered to go and get them and bring them back to the house. This gave Harry time to compose himself, and spend several precious minutes alone with Molly and Arthur.

“Mr and Mrs Weasley, I-I just want to apologise for giving you such a shock the other day, then having to leave. I would have loved to stay and talk, explain, really. Thank you for giving me that chance today,” said Harry.

Molly came and gave him one of the hugs he had missed for so long. He could barely breathe, she seemed to squeeze the life out of him. “Harry dear, we could see that you were struggling, you know, after the Battle. We just didn't realise how much, and for that, we're sorry. We feel that we let you down there. You will always have a home to come to here at the Burrow, you know that. You and your son, you're family. Now, cup of tea and some cake, hmm?” asked Molly, heading into the kitchen.

Harry watched her go, chuckling. Molly still felt that food and hugs could make everything better. He had to admit he felt better already.

Arthur spoke up. “Your boy, Jay? He's been a good friend to our Abby. What are the chances, hey, your son and Ginny's daughter. Has she told you about Oliver?” he asked.

Harry nodded and Arthur sighed in relief. “She was happy with him, I want you to know that. We had our reservations at first, but she was happy when she found out she was expecting. For the first time, she stopped looking for you,” he said.

“What, you mean she kept looking for me all that time? I didn't know that, she didn't tell me,” said Harry, dumbfounded.

Arthur nodded. “She hadn't even fully recovered from the explosion and she would head out to look for you. She was lucky to make it back to Hogwarts for the rest of the term, and she only got a try out with the Harpies because Professor Slughorn and Madame Hooch called in a couple of favours. She wasn't allowed to fly for ages, you see, so she missed out on impressing the scouts that came to Hogwarts. Once she regained her strength she focused on two things, making the Harpies, and finding you. She succeeded in one, yet the other nearly killed her. Every time she thought she had a lead on you, she get her hopes up. When nothing came of it, she'd fall into a depression that none of us could help her with.”

Harry shook his head in disbelief.”How long did she-I can't believe it!”

“I remember the day, she was staying with us because Oliver had an away game and was gone for a few days. Gin only had about a month left before Abby was born. She went somewhere, and when she came back, she had a kind of peaceful look on her face. It was probably the last time she mentioned looking for you,” said Arthur.

“Wait, you mentioned an explosion, what happened to Ginny. When was that?” asked Harry, frantically.

Arthur looked at him. “I think you need to talk to Gin about that another time, I hear the others coming. I'll go and give Molly a hand,” he said, getting up and patting Harry's shoulder as he went past him on the way to the kitchen.

Harry's head was spinning already, and he hadn't even spoken to Ron and Hermione yet. He heard Hermione teasing Ginny about bringing him home to meet the parents, and smiled wryly. As he heard the door open he braced himself.

Hermione greeted him easily, with a “Hi Henry, nice to see you again.” Harry smiled weakly, and turned to Ron.

Ron came toward him, his hand outstretched. “G'day mate, I'm Ron Weasley. You're Jay's Dad, Henry, right? He's a nice boy, I'm getting him tickets for a Chuddley Cannons game, maybe you'd like to come, me and my boy, and you and yours?” asked Ron, pleasantly.

Harry looked at Ron's outstretched hand, and slowly extended his and put it in Ron's. He couldn't speak, for fear he would break down. Ron seemed to sense his mood, and looked at Ginny in confusion.

Ginny walked around to stand in front of Harry, between him and Ron. She took both his hands in hers and squeezed. He looked into her eyes, remembering what Arthur had told him about her. She softly said, “Do it,” and nodded.

Harry took a breath, took his wand out and said “Finite.” He felt the glamour lift, and he heard both Ron and Hermione gasp, as it became obvious who he was.

“H-Harry? Oh my God, Harry?” cried Hermione, flinging herself into his arms. Harry buried his face in her shoulder, he was barely holding it together. He raised glazed eyes to look at Ron. He pulled away from Hermione and looked around. Ginny had left the room to give the three of them some privacy.

“Ron?” said Harry hesitantly. Ron stared at him as if he was a ghost. His eyes were teary, and his face was pale. “Ron?” repeated Harry. Hermione pulled away from Harry, now aware that Ron hadn't made a move or spoken to Harry. She looked uncertainly at Ron.

Ron opened his mouth to speak, then shut it. He looked from Harry to Hermione, then back to Harry. Harry tried once more. “Ron-I'm so sorry.”

Ron grabbed Harry and smothered him in a hug. Harry felt so relieved his legs nearly gave way on him. Ron held him up, yet Harry could feel Ron shaking with emotion. Again, his eyes were blurry with tears. He'd been through hell with these two people, he could never ask for two better friends. They both pulled apart to smile weakly at each other, only to pull Hermione into a three way hug.

Harry felt a warmth at his back, and without looking, he knew Ginny was there. She pressed her face into his back, her arms encircling his waist. With these people, Harry had unconditional acceptance and love.

They finally pulled apart, and chuckled at each other. Hermione pulled Harry to sit next to her on the lounge. Ginny guided Ron to a chair, and he seemed to just fall into it, unable to take his eyes off Harry. Ginny perched on the arm of the lounge next to Harry, sensing he might need her.

“How did you-Where have you-Why are you-Why NOW?” demanded Hermione. Ron chuckled.

“I've been living and working in Muggle London. After I left, I had a year of counselling, got a lot out of it, decided to become a social worker and went to university. I married, but we got divorced, had a son who turned out to be magical. He met Abby on the train to Hogwarts and they became best friends. They wanted to see each other over the Christmas break so I got in touch with Abby's mum to arrange things. Of course, that led me back to Gin,” he said, smiling at her and putting his hand on her leg.

Ron looked between them. “You mean you two are together again?” Ginny smiled and Harry blushed.

Ron laughed, “This is getting better and better. You two are together again! I-I just can't believe you're here, after all these years.”

“Why did you leave, Harry?” asked Hermione. “You could have talked to us, we understood what you were going through. We would have helped you, or got you help. I was so surprised when Ginny told me you had planned it for awhile. Was it because Ron and I were so focused on each other, that you felt left out? We never meant to make you feel like that. You had Ginny, we thought we were giving you time together,” finished Hermione.

“Hermione, I was glad when you and Ron finally got together, you guys had been tip toeing around those feelings pretty much since second year. It wasn't you guys, honestly. It was me, it was all me. I was just sick of being me. I didn't want to be around people because they all seemed to want something from me, and quite frankly, I had nothing left to give to anyone. Except Gin,” said Harry, squeezing her leg and smiling up at her.

“You said you became a social worker. You always wanted to be an Auror, what happened to that?” asked Hermione.

“I liked the physical aspects of the training, but mentally, it was too soon. I was missing Ginny, the media was hounding me, Kingsley was asking for my advice on things I had no idea about, McGonogall wanted me to come back to Hogwarts, so did you, Hermione. Ron, you didn't want me to go back, then you bailed on Auror training with me. Everywhere I turned, I saw someone who had lost a loved one, and it just increased the guilt I felt. I put that guilt on myself, I know that. I vowed to be the best godfather to Teddy, and I tried, I really did. I'd go and spend time with him, then go home and fall asleep crying because his parents were dead. I walked away from him before he was 1, and now he's nearly 16! I don't deserve to be his godfather,” said Harry, getting worked up.

Ginny placed her arm on his, and it seemed to calm him down. Ron noted this and smiled. Hermione still had questions. “Why return now? What's changed?”

“My son,” said Harry simply. “My son has led me home, back to Ginny and all of you. After all this time, our two children have become good friends, best friends. I stuffed things up with her before, I won't make the same mistake again,” said Harry firmly. Ginny was shaking her head.

Ron said, ”So, a Potter and a Weasley met on a train, and now are best friends. It's a good omen, don't you think?”

Harry replied. “Oh, it gets better. Jay's other best friend is Scorpius Malfoy. Malfoy! What are the odds of a Potter, Weasley, Malfoy friendship. They're the top in their year, too, you know!”

“So, the ferret reproduced! Who knew he had it in him!” grinned Ron.

“Ron!” exclaimed Hermione, trying to sound stern, but failing to hide a smirk.

“Ginny told me you have two kids, a boy and a girl?” asked Harry to Ron. He nodded, pleased.

“Yep, Daniel was born on the day the Chudley Cannons won their last game. I call him their good luck charm! He's nine. Then we had Rose. My Rosie is six, cute as a button, reminds me a lot of Gin at that age. They're good kids. I married Mel, er, Demelza Robbins, she was on the Gryffindor team our sixth year.”

“I remember her. I look forward to seeing her again, and meeting your kids. You said earlier about going to a quidditch game with our boys. Ron, that sounds brilliant,” said Harry. Ron smiled.

“Tell us about your work, Harry,” encouraged Hermione.

“Like I said, I had counselling before I left, and I continued it after. It really helped a lot, and my Counsellor suggested I could be good at it as a career. I went to Uni and got my degree. Funnily enough, it was then I started thinking about coming back. I got offered a job, though, and thought if I had some experience working in the field, it would help me even more. I specialised in kids welfare, particularly in regard to domestic abuse, but we would also deal with drug and sexual abuse.”

“It sounds very interesting, and not surprising that you would choose that field. With what you went through with the Dursley's, well, those kids couldn't have any better help. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you, Harry,” said Hermione.

“Thanks Hermione. I must say, when Gin took me to Grimmauld Place, I couldn't believe it. The place looked so different, and it was a good idea to turn that dreary old place into an orphanage. I was really impressed by what I saw there, too,” said Harry.

“Well mate, all the credit goes to Gin for that. She saw a need, and went and got the ball rolling. She called up so many favours, but really, everyone is happy to pitch in. It's a great place, and it's a great thing she's done,” said Ron, beaming proudly at his sister.

Again, Ron noticed Harry squeezing her leg. It was as though they couldn't not be touching.

Hermione still had more questions. “So, your son is known as Jay Evans. I'm assuming it's James Evans Potter. How did the Hogwarts letter and the Sorting Hat get around that? Does he know who you are, how important you are to our world?”

“No, he has no idea I'm Harry Potter. In fact, he was quite chuffed to meet Ron Weasley, I can tell you. McGonogall is taking a lesson a week in History of Magic, and she's started to discuss the war. In his last letter, he mentioned the night my parents were killed, and he pointed out the fact that he found out he was a wizard when he was eleven, like Harry Potter. Abby has told him more about Voldemort, but he doesn't understand. He said he wished he could talk to Harry Potter so he could understand, ironic isn't it? As to the rest, McGonogall used Vanishing Ink on his Hogwarts letter, and did a quick silencing spell on the Sorting Hat. Hagrid knew about it, too.”

“You need to tell him, Harry. He needs to hear everything from you,” said Hermione.

“We know that, Hermione. We plan to tell the kids soon, we're just worried about the fall out. You know we've talked to Abby a bit about the war, but I'm not sure she fully understands that the Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger that are war heroes are the same people she knows as Uncle Ron and Auntie 'Mione, you know? It will be so confusing for Jamie, too. He's just learnt he's a wizard, now to find out his father is Harry Potter, well, we just don't know how he will react. His friendship with Scorpius Malfoy may be affected as well. Then there's the whole issue of the media finding out that Harry is back, and has a son, and, well, the potential for disaster is huge. The kids protection is our main priority, while they come to terms with what we are about to tell them,” said Ginny.

“Whew, that's a load to place on the boy. How do you think he'll take it? He seemed to have a good head on his shoulders,” said Ron.

“I think he'll take the news about Harry Potter returning, ok. I think it will be the fact that I am Harry Potter, that's the reaction I'm worried about. That, and then the media descending on him. You know the shite they were printing before I left. I was eighteen and could barely cope, what chance does an eleven year old have? Why should he have to justify my decisions, it's not fair on him. I don't know what I'll do if he hates me because of this, but I couldn't blame him,” said Harry, miserably.

“Harry love, we won't let that happen. We'll do whatever we have to do to protect the children, especially Jamie,” said Ginny.

“How can we help, Harry?” asked Hermione. “There must be something we can do.”

Ron nodded. “Whatever you need, mate. Do you want us to be there when you talk to him?”

Ginny said, “Harry has an idea, and I think it's a good one. Tell them, love.”

“I thought that maybe we, the four of us plus Neville and Draco, maybe even your Mum and Dad, could go and talk to the student body at Hogwarts. I'd go as Harry Potter. We can get your Mum and Dad to speak about the first war, then we can take over. We make sure this is a one time thing. The students can ask questions, and we answer them. What do you think?” asked Harry.

Hermione was pondering, while Ron asked, “Why Neville and Malfoy?”

“We'll have to explain the prophecy, and the fact that it could have been Neville or me. Plus Neville played a big part in the Final Battle,” said Harry.

“And Malfoy?”

“He deserves to give another perspective, to get his side out. Of course, that will be up to him. I don't plan to have this turn out to be a vendetta thing against Malfoy, he has a son he'll be looking out for, same as me. Our son's are friends, that's important to me. I plan to meet with Draco before we do this. If we do this,” said Harry.

“I think it's a good idea, but I think McGonogall will insist on the parents being notified, and that could cause a leak to the media. They will descend on Hogwarts and turn it into a circus,” said Hermione.

“I thought about that. I agree, the parents should be notified. In fact, I will insist on it. I would also suggest that any parent who wants to attend, can, but only to be there for support for their children. This is for their sakes, and only the children can ask questions. I was wondering if maybe we could send an acceptance letter home, with a confidentiality clause attached, and make it like an Unbreakable Vow, although, of course, I don't want any one to die if they break it,” said Harry chuckling.

“Hmm, you've given this a lot of thought, I'm impressed. May I also suggest we have a reputable member of the press there, too? We can give them a prepared statement to print, and they can attend the meeting, but we would have to see anything else before it went to print,” suggested Hermione.

“That's a good idea. Do you know anyone you can recommend? Someone we can trust?” asked Ginny.

“I know a couple of people, one in particular comes to mind. Helen Lisbon, Daily Prophet feature writer. She's known to be tough but fair. She might try to push the bounds on no interview, and she'll probably hate that we are asking for pre approval on everything before they print, but hey, this is the scoop of the year. We're doing her a favour,” said Hermione.

“How soon do you want to do this, mate?” asked Ron.

“I think I'll need to talk to McGonogall, but I'm thinking in the next week or two. Gin and I talked about bringing the kids home for Easter, to tell them the rest of the truth, about me. Ideally I'd like to leave all of this till the summer holidays and just tell our kids, but I know all the kids are talking about these lessons of McGonogall's. Kids like Teddy deserve to know the truth about their parents. If I do this now, then I'll need to tell Jay the rest of the truth soon after. Right now, I feel like we have a ticking time bomb with us, and we have no idea when it's going to go off,” said Harry.

“Mate, it's going to be a lot for him to understand. I think you need to tell him the truth, tell him to think about it from your perspective, answer his questions truthfully, give him space if he needs it but let him know he can ask you anything. Don't push him, just remind him you love him. What about your ex? Does she know any of this? Do you think she needs to be in on this too. If he chooses to have some space from you and returns to her, how can she help you if she doesn't know the truth herself?” asked Ron.

Hermione and Harry stared at Ron in amazement. “Wow, that's pretty intense, Ron. Yeah, I agree with what you're saying about Jay. I'm not sure about his mum, though. Jess hid his Hogwarts letter from us, we only got it two days before the train left. She's found it difficult to accept him being a wizard, so this won't help. She might even use it to encourage him to leave the wizarding world, and me. I-I can't lose my son,” said Harry.

“Harry, why don't we wait and see Jay's reaction to our meeting at Hogwarts. You know we'll all be there to help you and Jay get through this. Ron, I'm really impressed,” teased Hermione.

“No more, 'emotional range of a teaspoon'?” asked Ron with a grin.

“No, I think you've graduated to be a SNAG. Sensitive New Age Guy!” said Hermione, laughing. They all laughed together.

Harry looked around at his friends and his love. They had all sworn their friendship and protection for him and his son. He had to get through this with his family intact. With his best friends, the Weasley's and Ginny on his side, he couldn't lose. Could he?

The wild card in all of this, the unknown factor, was his son.





Back to index


Chapter 15: Chapter 15 February 23

Author's Notes: Again, just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the reviews-A


Chapter 15 Feb 15-18

Molly and Arthur joined the foursome to reminisce, and Harry told them about his career, his marriage and divorce, and his son. Ginny sat quietly, watching Harry grow more and more at ease the more he unburdened himself. Ron and Hermione sat either side of him, continually interrupting him, or injecting facts about their own life to him.

Ron's wife Mel flooed over, and Harry got to meet Ron's children, Daniel and Rose. George had popped in unexpectedly, and nearly fell over when he saw Harry Potter sitting in his family lounge. He made Harry promise to still be there later, saying he would return with his wife Angelina, and their two children, Fred and Roxanne. Molly asked him to let Bill and Fleur know too. She immediately started planning a mammoth dinner, there was nothing she liked more than having her family around. Ginny slipped into the kitchen to help her.

Molly watched Ginny open and shut cupboards, bringing our ingredients and pans. “What do you have planned?” asked Molly, indicating the ingredients.

“Treacle Tart,” said Ginny, starting to measure things out.

“Shouldn't you be in there with Harry?” asked Molly.

“He needs time with Ron and Hermione. I've had him to myself for a while now, it's time to step back, give the others a chance to welcome him home. He needs to know how much he was missed by all of us,” said Ginny quietly.

“We missed him as a son, as a brother, as a friend. It was different for you. Has he told you about his life since he left?” asked Molly.

Ginny nodded, rolling out pastry.

“Why haven't you told him about the explosion at Kings Cross Station? Hasn't he asked you why you didn't make the train that day?” pushed Molly.

Ginny shook her head. “No, he hasn't, and what difference will knowing about the explosion make now? It will just add to his guilt, and I think he's lived with that long enough, don't you? He needs to focus on his son. If Harry lost his son, I don't even want to think about what he might do,” said Ginny firmly.

“Does he know how long you looked for him? Does he know how bad you were after the explosion, and the depression and all that?” asked Molly, tenaciously.

“MUM, STOP IT! Please-just let it go. Please,” said Ginny, desperately.

Hermione popped her head in, initially unaware of the tension in the room. “Percy and Penny can't make it tonight, but we've called Neville and he's coming. Luna said she'll floo over too, if Rolf gets home early enough to watch the boys. It's turning into a welcome home party!” she said, laughing.

“That sounds great,” said Ginny, weakly, avoiding her Mum's eyes.

Hermione narrowed her eyes and looked from mother to daughter. She came into the kitchen. “I can't believe I didn't pick up on the fact that Henry was Harry. Luna told me she knew.”

“You were tipsy that night, remember? I'm sure if you spent a bit more time together, you would have figured it out, like I did,” assured Ginny, finishing off the pie.

Molly left the kitchen and Hermione watched her go, before turning back to Ginny. “Is there a problem?” asked Hermione.

Ginny started packing away and tidying up. “No, I'm fine. How are things going with Harry?”

“Good, Ron and he are exchanging stories of their kid's births and first days of school and all that. I just can't believe Harry, our Harry is back. Isn't it great? I guess you guys have had a lot to talk about?” gushed Hermione.

“Yeah, it's great. Will you excuse me, Hermione?” asked Ginny, needing to get away. She ran out the back door, raced to the broom shed and grabbed the first broom she saw. She was soon up in the air, and she flew like the devil was chasing her. Once the initial adrenalin subsided, she was content to fly lazily. She'd been flying for about twenty minutes when she saw Bill watching her, waiting. She flew down and dismounted.

“Hey, we all wondered where you got to. Harry's looking a bit frantic. Everything all right?” he asked.

Ginny smiled. The flying had calmed her down. “Everything is fine,” she assured her eldest brother.
“Fleur and Louis here, too?” she asked.

Bill nodded. “George, Angelina and their two are here, and Neville just got here. We were all wondering where you got to? Mum sent an express owl to Charlie, telling him about Harry. It's pretty amazing, isn't it?”

“Yeah, it is,” agreed Ginny. They walked together in a comfortable silence. As they got closer, they could see Harry and Ron outside, looking around. As Ron saw them approaching, he said something to Harry, who turned around to watch her and Bill. Ginny could see the relief on his face. All of a sudden she wished they could be alone. Things were always easy when it was just the two of them.

“I'm glad you and Harry found your way back together, Gin. Did you ask him why he didn't come back?” asked Bill.

Ginny stopped walking and turned to face Bill. She didn't see Harry approach her. “Why is everyone focusing on that? It happened years ago. Can't we all just move on?”

“I think he needs to know how bad things were for you,” said Bill gently.

“That's not your call to make, okay? Just let it go, please Bill,” pleaded Ginny, tiredly.

“Gin, is everything, okay?” asked Harry. He could tell from a distance that Ginny and Bill had been having words, and gathered it was about him. Hermione had told him there was tension in the kitchen between Molly and Ginny. Arthur's words from earlier in the day returned to Harry's mind.

“Everything is fine, Harry,” she assured him, wondering how many more times she would need to say that. “Is everyone here?” she asked him, linking her arm through his. Bill went past and ahead of them, clapping Harry on the back as he went past.

“Yeah, Nev just arrived. Luna can't make it, Rolf won't be home till later and she didn't want to bring her boys. Gin, please, wait a moment,” he said, stopping walking.

Ginny stopped and looked at him questionably. “What's wrong?” she asked.

“That's what I want to know. Have I done something to upset you? I'm sorry about leaving you for so long?” he said.

“What do you mean? Has someone said something to you?” asked Ginny nervously.

“You know, while I was talking to Ron and Hermione. I didn't mean to ignore you, we just had so much to catch up on,” he said, smiling.

“Harry, you don't need to apologise. Now Neville and the rest of the family are here, you'll have to go through everything again. We need to see what Neville thinks of our idea to face the students at Hogwarts, see if he can think of anything we may have not thought of. He might be able to give us an insight into what he reckons McGonagall will say. Did he say anything about the kids?” she asked. They continued walking.

“He just said the kids are fine. Gin, I've been hearing things about an explosion and - “

“Harry, Ginny, come on, lunch is ready,” yelled Hermione.

“Come on Harry, better be quick, Ron's appetite has only increased in fifteen years!” laughed Ginny, sprinting off.

Harry knew she had avoided the subject, and he let her go, running to catch up with her.

Ginny helped her Mum bring the food to the table, and by the time she was ready to sit down, Ron and Hermione sat either side of Harry. He lifted his eyebrow in an apologetic gesture, and she smiled at him as she sat opposite him. They had just started eating when Percy came through the floo, greeting his family.

“Penny's staying home with the girls, but she said to say welcome home, Harry. Mmm, smells delicious, Mother. Pass the potatoes please, George.”

“Uh, Gin, that's me you're playing footsies with under the table, Harry is to the left,” teased Ron.

“Git!” said Ginny, smiling. Harry shot her a look and winked at her. Mel, who was sitting on Ron's other side, shushed her husband.

“Just teasing my little sister, love, it's fine,” he reassured his wife, with a quick kiss.

“So Harry, I'm presuming that you know all about the explosion in Kings Cross station, and how badly Ginny was hurt? Ginny, I'm presuming that Harry has explained why he hasn't returned in all these years?” asked Percy, as he loaded up his plate.

There was a silence at the table, as everyone looked at Ginny. Harry was shocked. Ginny was badly injured in an explosion? Percy kept eating, unaware of the deathly glare Ginny was throwing him.
Suddenly aware of the silence, he looked up at around at the faces of his family. “What? What did I say?”

Ginny sighed and stood up. “Suddenly, I'm not hungry any more. I think I'm just going to go home.”

Harry stood up. “I'll come with you.”

“No, no Harry, really it's fine, I-I think I just want to be by myself for a while. Please, stay, you still need to work out with Ron, Hermione and Neville what's going to happen when you go to Hogwarts. I-I'll leave the floo open for you, come through when you're done,” she said.

“Ginny, love, don't you think you should talk about it?” asked Molly.

“Why, Mum? What is the big deal about talking about it right now. Why are you all harping on it. It was fifteen bloody years ago! Besides, it's between Harry and me. We'll talk about it when we're ready, not because you all say so,” said Ginny, angrily.

Harry looked at the family, absolutely unaware of what she was talking about. Bill was the brave one to speak up.

“Gin, we just thought that if Harry know what you went through, then he would understand your choices, you know, later on. We're just trying to help.”

“How is that helping? I don't need to justify myself or my marriage to Harry, or anybody. I know it all took you a long time to accept Oliver and me, but remember, if I didn't marry Oliver, I wouldn't have Abby. She is the most important thing in the world to me. I-I'll see you later,” she said tearfully.

Ginny flooed home, but was too restless to stay in the house, so went for a brisk walk through the town of Godric's Hollow. She walked quickly, not encouraging any conversation from neighbours and town folk. She passed the Potter's home that had been destroyed all those years before, and she made her way to the cemetery. She stared at the graves of Lily and James Potter, a tear running down her cheek., as she thought of another grave, of a husband and father, and a quidditch champion cut down in his prime. “I'm sorry, Oliver,” she whispered. She felt a cool breeze on her cheek, and felt it was Oliver's way of kissing her goodbye.

She walked home slower, going inside and getting a drink. She made her way to Abby's bedroom. She straightened Abby's bedspread from when Hermione had slept over, and sat on the bed, looking around the room. She finally focused on a photo on Abby's dressing table and walked over to pick it up. It was a family photo. Oliver had his arms around Ginny, and Ginny had her arms around Abby. They were all laughing, and Oliver kissed Ginny on the cheek. The scene replayed itself over and over. Ginny tried to remember when it was taken, but couldn't.

She felt arms encircle her waist from behind, and she leaned into Harry's warmth. “You okay?” he asked softly, nuzzling her ear.

“I am now,” she said, putting her hands over his on her waist.

“They told me. About you missing the train. About the explosion. They said you spent a fortnight in St Mungo's, unconscious for five days, then the rest recovering. How you barely even made it back to Hogwarts. Gods Gin, I would have been back straight away if I'd known,” Harry said shakily.

“Don't. Don't do this,” begged Ginny, shaking her head from side to side.

“Do what? I should have been there for you. I thought you had changed your mind. You wouldn't have been hurt if you weren't meeting me” argued Harry.

“This is pointless! It was fifteen years ago! Shoulda, woulda, coulda, Harry. There is no point in re- hashing all the things we could have changed. Don't get bogged down by what my family told you. We're here together now, that's all I'm concerned with,” said Ginny.

Harry tightened his hold on Ginny, as if he were afraid if he let her go, she would disappear. He looked over her shoulder at the photo of the Wood family. “You look happy,” he said softly.

She nodded. “I can't even remember having this photo taken. We were happy, Harry. It may not have been the best way to start a marriage, but once I knew I was pregnant, well, it changed me, Harry, for the better. I finally let you go.”

He turned her in his arms, so she was facing him. He brushed a strand of her hair off her face and behind her ear. “What do you mean?”

“I thought about you every single day, Harry. If thinking about one man while you're married to another is cheating, then I'm guilty of that. Both Ollie and I knew that we were each others second love. For him it was quidditch. For me, it was you. There were days that I wished I could see you just so I could slap your face, for not coming back to me. There were days that I just hoped you were happy, and that you were with someone who cared about you. And-and there were days I wished you were dead, because that would be easier to accept, than thinking you didn't care about me as much as I cared about you,” she finished in a whisper, ashamed of her weakness.

“Gin, love,” said Harry, sorrowfully.

“When I found out I was pregnant. I was thrilled, and so was Ollie. I quit quidditch, and that's when I started writing a couple of articles. I think Ollie liked that I was home most of the time, focusing on him and the baby. I just remember one day, we were thinking about names, you know, reading those baby name books, and we-we came to James. Ollie really liked it, it was his grandfather's name but I refused. He quickly worked out why, and he got upset. He left, and didn't come home for a couple of days.”

“He left you pregnant and alone?” asked Harry, surprised. Ginny nodded.

“While he was gone, I had a good look at myself. Here I was, about to become someone's Mother, and I was carrying on like I was fifteen and going out with Dean, while I waited for you to notice me. I had to face the fact that you may never come back. I was about to have a baby with another man, a man I liked, I respected, and grew to love. He gave me Abby, and for that, I will always love him. He was a good Dad, and she loved him so much. It was then I was able to make peace with my memories of you, and let you go.”

“Gin, I understand, really,” said Harry.

“Good, I'm glad you do. We can't change the past, Harry, and even if we could, I couldn't imagine not having Abby as my daughter. I'm sure you feel the same about Jamie. Now, you're back in my life. We are both free to be together. I want that, more than just about anything.”

“I do Gin, I do want it. I want us to live together. I don't want to be away from you any more. I want to know you'll be there when I come home. I want you to be the first thing I see when I wake up. I want you in my life, for the rest of my life. Gin, I know there's a lot to work out, with the kids and everything. Tell me we'll get through this together, please?” he begged.

Ginny kissed him. She pulled away and looked him in the eyes. “We'll get through this. You, me and the kids. Together,” she said.

He pulled her into a hug, never wanting to let her go. They pulled apart and kissed, then he took her hand and led her into her bedroom.


Feb 18
Dear Dad,

How are you? I know I just wrote a little while ago, but I thought I'd send you a quick letter with this permission slip. Can you believe it? Harry Potter is coming to Hogwarts! He's going to talk to the students about what happened in the war. It's the first time he's talked about it since the war ended, and he left our world. I wonder where he's been?

So, the parents have to sign to say it's ok for me to see him, and guess what, you can come too, Dad. Wouldn't it be cool if you and I could meet him? Abby said her Uncle Ron will be coming, too. He might be able to introduce us. Abby's Mum is coming, and so is Scor's Dad. Please try, Dad.

If you see Mum, please thank her for her letter. It made me feel better, and my friends are looking forward to meeting her.

Love, Jay

PS Dad, I just don't get why girls get so worked up about Valentine's Day. Some girls were crying because they didn't get any cards or stuff. Is it really that big a deal? When I asked the girls, they threatened to hex me! I didn't send any, but I got one sent to me, signed by a secret admirer. I thought it was Scor, pranking, but he swears it wasn't him. How was your Valentine's Day, Dad? Anything you want to tell me?

PPS Please send the permission slip back with Sirius ASAP. Please, please try and come, Dad.

Bye, Jay.









Back to index


Chapter 16: Chapter 16 March 3

Chap 16 March 3

It was a Monday morning that found a very nervous Harry Potter standing in Headmistress McGonagall's office, awaiting the arrival of Ron, Hermione and Neville. Ginny sat patiently, watching him pace the room, until finally she had enough.

“Harry, love, come on. You are only making it worse for yourself. You still have time to change your mind, you know.”

“Bit late for that now, Gin,” said Ron, entering the room. “There's a room full of people down there, listening to McGonagall go on about young Tom Riddle, and the first war. Mum and Dad are here too, Gin. Too late to change your mind, Harry,” repeated Ron.

“Change his mind about appearing first as Henry to Jamie, you prat. Jamie really wanted his dad here, and Harry wasn't sure whether to appear to Jamie and tell him he was sitting at the back, or write him he couldn't make it. In the end, he wrote that he couldn't get away from work. I told Jamie that I would be seeing his dad tonight, and I would tell him all about it,” said Ginny, sending a glare to Ron. He shrugged.

Harry said, “The sooner all this is out in the open to Jay, the better I'll feel. I hate all this lying and subterfuge.”

“I agree, Harry,” said Hermione, entering the room. “Lying gets you nowhere, and Jay won't thank you for it.”

“Spoken like a true lawyer,” chuckled Ron. He then got a glare from Hermione. He shook his head.

Neville knocked on the door, and popped his head in. “We're up, guys,” he said. He made his way down the staircase and into the Great Hall, followed by the others. They heard Professor McGonagall finishing up.

“..and our very own Hagrid came and took the baby, and under Dumbledore's orders, left him in the care of his Muggle relatives, because of the blood protection. Sirius Black was arrested and sent to Azkaban; Peter Pettigrew was presumed dead. For a long while, it was presumed by many that Voldemort had been killed too. Time, of course, would prove us wrong. Now, to take up the rest of the story, I proudly give you Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, our very own Professor, Neville Longbottom, and, of course, Harry Potter.

They had all walked out as their names were called, Neville getting a very big round of applause. As Harry had stayed back quickly to get a kiss from Ginny, he walked in alone. He received a standing ovation, from the parents and the students. He nodded, looking around at everybody. He saw his son standing and applauding, like the rest. He took a breath. He could do this.

“Hello everyone. Thank you all for coming, especially the parents. Thank you to Headmistress McGonagall, and all the teachers, for letting us have this talk here today. My name is Harry Potter, and I'm here today as I've heard a lot of rumours about myself lately. I realised a lot of the students, particularly the Muggleborns,” he looked at his son as he said this, “wouldn't understand a lot of what they are being told. So, I'm here today, to help you to understand what really happened, and to tell you of the legacy we all have, as we go forward.”

“I was raised by Muggles, who hated everything about magic. They had told me my parents died in a car crash, and never told me I was a wizard. It was only when I turned eleven that I got my Hogwart's letter. Even then, they tried to keep it from me. Hagrid came and got me; he took me to Diagon Alley to get my things for school. He also gave me a birthday present, my owl, Hedwig. It was only around this time that I first learned about my parents, and Voldemort.”

“I met one of my best friends on the train that very first day, Ron Weasley. He comes from a wonderful wizarding family; over time they practically adopted me. Anyway, my first year was spent, much like you first years are,” again he looked to his son, Abby and Scorpius Malfoy, who were sitting together, “ learning about magic, and this brand new world I was a part of. I loved to fly, and I made the Gryffindor quidditch team in my first year.”

Cheers ran out from the Gryffindor house members as the great Harry Potter mentioned them.
Ron chuckled.

“During the year, I made lots more friends, like Professor Longbottom, here.” Cheers rang out again; Neville was quite a popular teacher. “My best friends were Ron,” he turned to indicate Ron, sitting behind him, who gave a wave, “ and Hermione Granger.” He turned to smile at her. She also gave a small wave.

“We had a lot of adventures together in our time at Hogwarts. However, I have promised not to reveal them to you, so you don't get any ideas.” The students chuckled as Harry continued.

“Over time, Professor Dumbledore and I realised I had a connection to Voldemort. He was trying to find a way to regain his body. He had tried drinking the blood of a unicorn; then he was after the Philosopher's Stone. He used a teacher here in the school to try and get it, but he failed. It wasn't until the Tri Wizard Tournament in my fourth year that he was able to take my blood, and use it. He recalled the Death Eaters, who had once been loyal to him. He was able to free some of his more dangerous ones from Azkaban. He was getting stronger and stronger, and because of our connection, I could feel that.”

“The Ministry was worried about everyone panicking if they knew Voldemort was back, so they downplayed it. Professor Dumbledore had confided to me that Voldemort had taken steps to ensure his immortality, and if we had any chance of defeating him, we needed to find several objects and destroy them. Together, we had destroyed two of them. However, before we had the chance to find the other five, Professor Dumbledore was murdered.”

Harry's eyes met Draco Malfoy's above the crowd of children, who were murmuring about the murder of the famous wizard Dumbledore, former Headmaster to the school, and long regarded as the most powerful wizard since Merlin. They were both remembering a night on the top of the Astronomy Tower.

“I knew then it was up to me to find the other objects, so I decided to leave Hogwarts to try and find them. Luckily, my two best friends came with me. We were on the run for nine months, and in that time we found and destroyed another two objects. Those nine months were the hardest for our wizarding world, as the Death Eaters had taken over the Ministry. They were particularly hard on the Muggleborns, and even on the Half Bloods. Families were torn apart, wizards and witches disappeared, never to be seen again. There were even Death Eaters teaching here at Hogwarts. The students here, led by Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom, continued with a defence class we had started in my fifth year, and it taught the students how to fight, and how to defend. Some of those students helped tremendously in the Final Battle.”

“We soon realised that we had to return to Hogwarts, that one of the objects was hidden here. Voldemort was getting desperate; by now he knew what we were doing. One of the objects was a snake he kept quite close to him. Anyway, we returned to Hogwarts, and destroyed the object we had looked for.” Again, Harry's eyes met Draco's, as they remembered the fiery Room of Requirement, and all that had gone on in there.

“Voldemort had finally decided to confront us. We all knew this was going to be the Final Battle. We all fought hard, and both sides lost a lot of people. Finally Voldemort stopped the fighting, giving us an hour to collect all the people who had been injured and who had died and were lying outside the castle.”

“I returned to the castle, and found out that the family who had taken me in had lost one of their own sons. There were a lot of bodies, some of them students, just like you. I saw so many people, dead or injured. Two of them were part of my family, they were new parents, their son, was my Godson, Teddy Lupin. He was only a couple of months old, and he lost his parents.”

Teddy Lupin put his head down, and Harry watched as his hair colour turned brown, the same shade as Remus'.

“I knew there were only two objects to go. I told Neville to go for the snake, if he got the chance. I went to meet Voldemort.”

The students all went 'ooh.' All eyes were riveted on Harry.

“It was so hard to leave the castle, with all my friends and family inside. Mr and Mrs Weasley, I couldn't have asked for anyone better to be my parents, in place of my real ones. They never had much money, but they took me in and treated me like one of their own children. Ron and Hermione, they're my two best friends. They followed me and supported me, above and beyond what most friends would go through. They are my brother and sister, best friends, and so much more.”

Harry heard Ron sniff, and saw Hermione wipe a tear away. Harry took a breath.

“But the hardest, the absolute hardest person to walk away from, was a girl. A brilliant, wonderful girl. We were together only a few weeks, before I left her, knowing I had to go and find these objects. She was there, outside the castle, and I had to walk past her on my way to meet Voldemort.”

“I went to meet him, and he shot the killing curse at me. You see, the night he had killed my parents, when he first tried to kill me, his curse rebounded and destroyed his body. It also caused one of the objects to be put into me. I was the seventh object, and it was one that not even Voldemort knew about. He thought he had killed me, and he got Hagrid to bring my body back, to gloat in front of my friends. Neville stood up to Voldemort, and he cut off the snake's head. We continued fighting, and then it was just down to me and him, and I was able to defeat him. It was over. Voldemort was no more.”

Harry took a deep breath. The students and the parents broke out in applause again.

Professor McGonagall stepped in front of Harry. “I think we'll take a break for lunch, then return to the rooms assigned to your year. Mr Potter and his friends will be along to answer any questions, from the children only.”

Harry took another breath, and turned to face his friends. “Whew, I think it went well,” he said.

Ron raised an eyebrow. “Well, you told them hardly anything, really. No trolls, no giant chess sets, no basilisk, no hippogriffs, nothing!” he sounded disppointed.

At the mention of the basilisk, Harry looked around for Ginny. She wasn't anywhere to be seen.

“She left, as soon as McGonagall said we'd have a break,” said Neville helpfully.

“Really Ron, Harry promised Professor McGonagall he wouldn't tell the children anything much that would scare them from being at Hogwarts. I think he did quite well, considering what he could have told them.”

Ron shrugged. “I'm going to get some lunch. If the food is half as good as it used to be, that's where I'll be for the next hour,” he said, leaving them.

“Some things never change, do they,” sighed Hermione fondly.

Harry had seen his son go off with his friends, so he decided to go find Ginny.

He walked out of the castle to find the grounds all lit up in sunlight. He glanced over at the Quidditch pitch. One day, he promised himself, he would go for another flight on the pitch.

He decided to go to Ginny's and his 'special spot', down near the lake. Sure enough, he found her there.

“So what did you think? Went well?” he asked. She turned to face him.

“What do I think? Do you really want to know what I think? I think I'm pretty mad at you actually! That's what I think!” she said.

“What? Why, what did I do?” he asked in confusion.

“You sat there, telling those children that the hardest thing you had to do that night was walking past me. Is that true?” she asked.

“Yes. I knew that if I stopped to tell you what I was doing, you would try and talk me out of it, and I knew I had to do it,” he replied.

“Did you tell anyone what you were going to do?” she asked quietly.

“No, but I saw Neville, I had to tell them to take care of Nagini, in case I didn't make it,” said Harry.

. “You didn't give me an opportunity to talk to you.”

“I never wanted to say goodbye to you. I couldn't, don't you understand that?” asked Harry, getting angry.

“Well, maybe there were a few things I'd have liked to say to you,” said Ginny, getting angry too.

“Oh yeah, like what?” asked Harry. “What could you have possibly have had to say to me as I was walking to meet Voldemort?”

“Oh, gee, I don't know, maybe I would have finally liked to tell you that I loved you, you stupid git?” she yelled.

“Well, how could I leave you after that, because I would have told you that I loved you too,” yelled Harry back. “And that's the second time we've said that to each other,” he yelled at her.

“I know!” she said angrily.

“I'm going to kiss you now, ” he said, coming towards her.

“You better,” she said, coming towards him.

They met in a clash of mouths, kissing hungrily, passionately. Their hands unashamedly roamed their bodies, pushing against each other, aching to be closer and closer.

From high on a hill, five people watched them. Soon, Ron joined them, a huge sandwich in hand.

“What are you lot looking at?” he asked. He looked down the hill. “Bloody hell, I don't want to be seeing my sister and best friend doing that! It's almost enough to put me off my food!” he said, turning and leaving.

Neville and Hermione laughed, and followed him back into the castle.

Abby, Scorpius and Jay looked down the hill at the couple down below.

“I guess your Mum doesn't like my Dad as much as you thought,” said Jay. “There's no way my Dad could compete with that!”

“I've never seen any one kiss like that! I can't believe my mum and Harry Potter are down there kissing. I-I'm sorry Jamie, I really thought there was something between your dad and my mum,” said Abby.

“Maybe it was a good thing your dad didn't come today. Come on, I think they need some privacy,” said Scorpius, turning and walking away.

Abby watched her mum for a bit longer. She was confused; she had never seen her mum ever kiss her dad like that. Jay pulled on her arm, and she left with him, returning to the castle.

After lunch, the students were split up into their years. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville went from year to year answering all their questions. As they expected, the older students wanted to know more about Harry's actual defeat of Voldemort, what spells he had used, and were very curious about the 'objects.' Harry and the others were very careful not to use the word 'Horcrux,' and were vague without lying, which would defeat the purpose of this visit. The students also asked a lot of questions about the Deathly Hallows. Hermione spoke a lot about them, reciting the 'Tale of the Three Brothers.' A couple of students asked questions in a way that made Harry uneasy, and he made a note of them, to refer to the Headmistress later. Harry also noted that Teddy didn't ask any questions.

The middle students were more intrigued by the stories of the trio leaving school as they went on their quest. They asked a lot of questions about the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and Professor Dumbledore, a legend they had only read or heard about. Ron spoke to them about Quidditch. A couple of girls asked about the girl he had walked past the night of the Final Battle, and whether they had a happy ending. Again, Harry's answers were vague, although in this case he really didn't know. He hoped so.

Harry braced himself as he went into the room where the first years were. He immediately saw Jay, standing with Abby and Scorpius while they talked with Ginny and Draco. All the children sat down as they entered.

To his relief, most of his questions from the first years involved how Harry and his friends had found their first years at Hogwarts. Harry got them all involved as he recounted the wonder of going to Diagon Alley the first time, getting his wand, reading through his books and worrying if he was going to fit in. All the kids reacted well to this, and could all relate. Harry turned the tables on them, asking them for their favourite things about being at Hogwarts, and giving them his experiences of their favourite things. He promised them more fun things to come, like visits to Hogsmeade, and balls, winning Quidditch teams and House cups. Of course, he also encouraged them to study hard for their OWLs and NEWTs, which made Hermione and Professor McGonogall happy.

He asked if there were any last questions. Abby's hand slowly went up. He nodded to her.

“Why did you leave? After the Battle, after all that time?”

Harry took a deep breath, and chanced a look at Ginny. She looked surprised at her daughter's question, and raised her eyebrows at him.

“Well, I guess I found it hard to go back to every day life. I found myself thinking more about the people I lost, rather than the people who survived. I was living with my great family, but I didn't want to burden them with how bad I was feeling. I decided to get away for awhile, even leaving the girl I cared about. I didn't mean to be gone for so long; life just turned out that way,” said Harry truthfully.

To Harry's surprise, Jay's arm went up next. Harry nodded to his son. “Is there anything you wish you could do differently?” he asked.

Harry took a breath. “Wow, that's a really good question, and I think that's something I thought a lot about after the Battle. It took me a lot of time, and a lot of help from a counsellor to understand that I made the best decision I could at the time. I can't go back and change anything, and right now, my life is pretty good, so even though I had dark days, I got through them. With help from my family and friends, and a couple of pretty special people, I now feel like I'm the luckiest bloke around.”

Jay's hand shot up again. “My dad said that it was easy to focus on getting through the war, but no one knew how to get on when the war was over. He told me everyone was looking to you for answers, and it just got too much for you. My dad's a counsellor, a good one, so if you ever need any more help, go to him,” he said with a smile.

There were a few chuckles at this, including from Harry. “Your dad sounds like he knows what he is talking about, and thank you for the offer. Now, I have a favour to ask you all.”

All the children leaned forward eagerly. Harry continued. “I won't be doing this again, so I want to ask you to share my story with the other children who come through Hogwarts. There are always a lot of rumours, but you know the truth, straight from our mouths. Pass down my story, if you hear someone asking about me, tell them what I have told you today. Some may not believe you, but that is their problem, not yours.”

“Finally, I want to just say that I hope you enjoy your time at Hogwarts. I loved it here, and had some of my best times here. I hope that, no matter what your choices are after you leave here, you go on to have long, happy lives. Thank you for listening to me, to us today.”

Applause rang out again, and some of the children surged forward to shake his hand, and that of Ron and Hermione. Harry noticed Abby and Jay hung back, talking to Ginny. Scorpius was talking to Draco.

Neville announced it was nearly time for tea, and to say a final farewell to their parents before washing up before eating. Abby and Jay were talking to Ginny, and they shook their head. Abby gave Ginny a hug, and surprisingly, so did Jay, although it was a quick one. They waited for Scorpius to farewell his dad, then the three left together, without a look back at Harry.

Harry felt a bit disappointed, although he perked up a bit when Ginny came over and whispered in his ear she was going to go home and would be waiting for him when he was done at Hogwarts. When she whispered what she would do to him when he got there, it made him gulp and turn red, as she winked and walked away. He vowed to finish things up there as soon as possible.

Neville talked briefly to them before he had to go. He shook Harry's and Ron's hand, saying it was good to see them again. Giving Hermione a quick hug, he left to go and oversee the students dining in the Great Hall.

Hermione said, “Harry, I was really impressed with how you dealt with the kids, especially the younger ones. You interacted brilliantly with them, when they could have been totally intimidated by you. You're obviously really good at your job.”

“Thanks, Hermione, that age group is probably the one I deal with the most. I think kids just need acknowledgement that their thoughts and actions are worth something. After all, we were just kids, and look what we had to deal with.”

“Mate, you were brilliant with them. I don't know why you're so worried about what your son will think about you being Harry Potter. Just explain it to him, and answer his questions, as truthfully as you can.”

“Yeah, I think you something similar the other day. I definitely feel better for getting the whole 'Harry Potter is back' thing off my chest. Now let's go see that reporter, and get that over with. Then there is some place I have to be, like ten minutes ago,” said Harry, picturing a naked Ginny waiting for him in her bed.

Thirty minutes later, they farewelled the reporter, Helen Lisbon, who promised to send all three a copy of her story and get the okay from them before it got printed. She wanted to make it in the weekend edition, so they promised to read it and get it back to her as soon as possible for any revisions.

Ron said he had to go to, as it was time for him to go home and help Mel with the kids at tea time. The trio promised to get together again soon.

Hermione said she had to go too. She told Harry she was going to go and see if Ginny wanted to go out and get something to eat, until Harry yelled out a determined “NO!” then blushed. Hermione quickly understood, and, smirking, asked him to tell Ginny they'd catch up soon. She kissed his cheek and left.

Harry decided to say a quick goodbye to Headmistress McGonagall. However, he was surprised when she wanted to discuss Jay's and his future. He assured her he planned to tell Jay in the summer holidays who he really was, and his reaction to that would determine the rest. Then she made Harry a surprising job offer, Defence against the Dark Arts Professor, beginning the next school year. It certainly gave Harry a lot to consider. Professor McGonagall suggested, with a wink, he discuss the matter with Mrs Wood, as she was sure she was giving Harry great counsel these days.

Ginny! Harry looked at his watch and swore under his breath. It had been over an hour since she had left. He gratefully accepted Professor McGonagall's use of her floo, and left.

He arrived through the floo in Ginny's lounge. She'd left a lamp on, but he nearly tripped over one of her shoes. He picked it up and frowned. He saw the other one lying a bit further away, so he went to pick that up too. Further ahead, he saw a pair of jeans, and further again, a top. He soon realised he was following a trail of clothes that was leading to Ginny's bedroom. He scooped her bra and knickers off the floor and entered her bedroom.

Candles were burning bright, and a bottle of champagne lay chilling in ice, next to a small dish of chocloate dipped strawberries. Harry's mouth watered, not for the fruit or drink, but for the sight of Ginny. She lay naked in bed, a hand flung over her head, her gorgeous red hair strewn over the pillow, seemingly on fire as it glowed from the candle light. She was also asleep.

Harry quickly took his clothes off and got on the bed, next to her. He stroked her hair, and got a strawberry and placed it between her lips. She suckled lightly, which turned Harry on. Ginny's eyes fluttered open, a sleepy, sexy smile on her face as she focused on Harry.

Harry traced the strawberry over her lips, before leaning down to lick the taste off her lips. Their tongues tangled, and Ginny moaned. Harry took the strawberry away, placed it back on the dish, then turned back to face Ginny. No words were needed as they let their hands, mouths and bodies do their talking for them.

The champagne went flat, and the strawberries went furry, for they had forgotten the preservation charms. Neither Harry or Ginny noticed. Or cared.


A/N I can't take credit for the scene with Harry and Ginny down by the Lake, I think it came from an episode of The Big Bang Theory, with Penny and Leonard, not 100% sure, though. Please feel free to correct me.









Back to index


Chapter 17: Chapter 17 March 3-18

Author's Notes: I want to send a big cheer to the SIYE validators, I have been inundating them with chapters lately. You guys are the greatest! This is just a short chapter to move us forward


Ch 17 March 3-18

Dear Dad,

I guess you've been really busy at work. That's what Abby's mum told me was the reason you couldn't be here today to see Harry Potter. She told me she was going to be seeing you tonight, and that she'd tell you everything he said, but from what I could see, I think she may be busy.

It's hard to think that a lot of things he went through happened when he was a student like me, here at Hogwarts. I don't know why more adults couldn't have helped him; why did they expect that he could do fix everything when he only found out he was a wizard when he was 11? Harry Potter talked a lot about Professor Dumbledore; you could tell he meant a lot to him. Harry Potter met his best friend on the train to Hogwarts, just like me and Abby. Ron Weasley remembered me, and waved to me.

I didn't get to meet Harry Potter or Hermione Granger. I hoped to at lunch but he was busy (maybe Abby's mum will tell you about that). He seems really close to Abby's family so if I ever go back to the Burrow, I guess I might see him there. Abby's grandmother said I was always welcome, and she's just about the best cook ever.

I would still like to ask Harry Potter lots of questions, things I thought of later, after they'd gone. I did tell him about you, Dad. I also told him that if he ever need anyone to talk to, you were really good at your job.

I really wished you could have been here, Dad. I would have liked you to meet him. I think you might have a lot in common.

Love from Jay

PS I really thought he'd be taller!



Harry sighed as he read Jay's latest letter. While he was pretty happy with how the talk had gone, word had gotten out that Harry Potter had returned to the wizarding world. The Burrow and the Ministry of Magic had been staked out with reporters the very next day, hoping for a scoop. Ron and Hermione had been harassed at work, and only issued a terse 'No Comment,' to the Press. Their hopes of avoiding the media until the story came out on the weekend were blown. Ron had sent an owl to Ginny, stating that the brown stuff had hit the fan, and that had prompted Harry and Ginny to escape to his apartment, where they had been holed up the past twenty-four hours.

Ginny had encouraged Harry to go to work, to keep to his regular routine. He agreed, but he kept looking over his shoulder, waiting for his cover to be blown. He debated whether to request some personal leave, and decided to approach his boss. Harry decided to tell his boss he had some personal issues he was dealing with, that might require him to need some personal leave in the near future. As Henry had been such a diligent employee and had plenty of holiday time accrued, his boss had no problem agreeing.

Ginny was staying in Harry's apartment, working on her articles. The one time she flooed home, the press were outside her home, demanding a statement from her. She grabbed what she had returned for, and flooed back to Harry's apartment. They were going to the Burrow that night to discuss their next move.

All the family were in agreement that Harry should issue a statement as soon as possible, then maybe a press conference after the article came out. Everyone was pleased with the article, and it was going to be printed in the Saturday edition of the Daily Prophet.

Hermione suggested that the press would be diligent in finding out where Harry had been the last fifteen years. They would want to know if he had married and had children. More importantly, they would want to know if he intended to stay, and what his future plans were.

Harry hadn't told anyone about the job offer from Headmistress McGonagall, except Ginny. She said that it might be a good thing; it would give Jamie the extra comfort of knowing his dad was close by, especially as he dealt with the fact his dad was Harry Potter.

Harry agreed with that aspect, but he was reluctant to commit just yet. The thought of teaching thrilled him, but he just didn't feel Hogwarts was the right place for him. Just being there that one afternoon brought back so many memories of the Final Battle. He saw the place that Tonks and Remus had fallen, the wall that had been resurrected in place of the one that fell on Fred. He saw the place where he had walked past Ginny on his way to Voldemort. He didn't think he wanted to face those memories every day.

“So Harry, what do you think?” asked Hermione impatiently. He guessed she had been asking him for several minutes, as he was lost in his memories.

“Read it back to me again, please Hermione?” he asked.

“While I appreciate the public's interest and good wishes, at this time, all I can say is that I am happy to return and reunite with my many close friends. I enjoyed meeting the students of Hogwarts on Monday, and full coverage of that meeting will be printed in the Daily Prophet on Saturday. I hope to hold a press conference sometime soon, at which time I will make known my future plans. In the meantime I ask that you respect my privacy, and the privacy of my friends. Thank you. Harry Potter,” finished Hermione.

“I think that says it all. 'Sometime soon' is vague enough, I mean, I don't even know my future plans. It will all depend on how Jay reacts. What do you guys think?” he asked the Weasleys, who had gathered at the Burrow for a meal that night.

“If Jay takes it well, will you introduce him to the press as your son?” asked George. Harry shrugged.

“Again, it's up to him. God, am I putting too much of this on him?” he asked.

Ginny laid a hand on his shoulder and squeezed. “You're giving him options, letting him know he has choices. There are new laws out there now Harry, protecting celebrities, even here in the wizarding world. The media won't be able to come too close, or harass him.”

“Celebrities? I am not a celebrity,” argued Harry.

The Weasleys all let out a laugh. “I'm afraid you are, Harry. The media will always be interested in you. Your name, a photo, a story, is guaranteed to sell papers. That is just a fact. Hermione and I had to deal with it a lot after you left. They were sure we knew where you were,” said Ron.

Hermione nodded. “Harry, as a lawyer, I can push the point that you won't tolerate the press invading your space. We'll do all we can to help. I just think the sooner we get this out, the better.”

Ginny said, “We can always go back to our idea of bringing the kids home for Easter, and telling them then.”

She turned to the family and Hermione. “The only reason we discounted it is that we didn't want the news to affect the kids taking their end-of-year tests. If Jamie doesn't cope with the news, he might rebel and end up failing. He's had such a good year. We need to tell Teddy, too, and Abby and Scorpius eventually.”

Harry said, “There's a Hogsmeade visit this weekend. I've already owled Teddy, and I'm meeting him there. He didn't sound eager, but he agreed to meet me. I'm not going to mention Jay, or Henry Evans, just talk to him as Harry, his godfather. If he reads the paper that day, he might have more questions for me. He didn't ask me anything when we were there on Monday.”

“That's a good idea, Harry,” said Hermione, surprised.

“He's turned into a good boy, our Teddy. He's dating Victoire, Bill's eldest, they've been together nearly a year now, although they've always been close. Andromeda has been a great influence on him, as has Ginny,” said Arthur, smiling at his daughter.

“I reckon he's a great chance to be Head Boy next year,” said Ginny, leaning against Harry. “It's his birthday soon, too. Don't forget to mention that, maybe even take him a gift,” Ginny suggested.

“Will you help me find something for him? And will you come with me if Andromeda agrees to see me tomorrow?” he asked Ginny.

“Of course I will. I know he wants to be an Auror; maybe we can get him something to do with that. Andromeda may have several suggestions for a gift,” said Ginny.

With that settled, everyone enjoyed the rest of the night, bringing Harry news about the Ministry and the many changes in the wizarding world since he had left.

His meeting with Andromeda the next day went well. While she did express disappointment that he had lost contact with Teddy, she said she understood his reasons for leaving, and that he wasn't in a position emotionally to help her with Teddy. He confided in her about being married to a Muggle, and having a child who was unaware of his true identity. While Andromeda didn't like the secrets, she agreed with the need to protect his son, and was delighted that Harry was meeting Teddy the next day. Harry came away from the meeting in high spirits.

With Arthur by his side, he also arranged a discreet meeting with Kingsley Shacklebolt, still the Minister for Magic. The meeting took place at the Burrow. Harry simply told Kingsley he was back, and would hold a press conference soon. He told him he had been living in Muggle London, but that was it. His future plans were uncertain, and until he knew what he was doing, there would be no more dealings with the press.

Arthur implored Kingsley to tell the press to leave Harry alone. Harry's statement had been released that day, and the story was to go to press the next day. Arthur told Kingsley about the press staking out the Burrow and harassing the family and Harry's friends. The wards had been strengthened but they feared it wouldn't be enough. Kingsley promised to personally visit the offices of the Daily Prophet, and to release a statement himself. They shook hands and Kingsley left.

His meeting the next day didn't go as well as Harry hoped. Teddy listened carefully to Harry's explanation, but didn't ask too many questions. He accepted the birthday gift, but didn't open it, saying he would open it when it was his actual birthday, in a few days time. It was only as Harry mentioned Remus and Tonks, that Teddy really seemed attentive. Unfortunately, Harry hadn't spent a lot of time with Tonks, or Remus and Tonks together, so he didn't have many stories to tell Teddy. He did tell him about Remus and the other Marauders, and Remus teaching at Hogwarts. Teddy seemed to soak up these stories, as Harry had once done in regard to his own parents, and he felt a pang as he realised how much he had let this young man down.

He left Teddy with the promise that they would talk again soon, and that if he wanted to get in touch with him, to send an owl to Ginny.

He had spent about an hour with Teddy, and he left him with an unsettled feeling, not happy with the outcome, but knowing he had no right to push Teddy. If Teddy wanted to know more, wanted to know Harry, it was now up to Teddy. He had left the door open.

Harry and Ginny stayed indoors the rest of the weekend, still at Harry's apartment. The story had hit the papers that day, and they decided to lay low for the weekend. The papers and the radio were full of talk about Harry returning, and they were re-printing stories of Harry's life. Harry wondered what Jay thought of it all; there had been no further letters since the one on Monday afternoon. He sent a brief letter to Jay, apologising for not being able to attend the meeting, and that Ginny had told him all about it.

While Harry and his friends weren't personally hounded by the media, he was featured prominently in the papers everyday in the next couple of weeks. He felt bad, as they were dragging everything up again, from the Tri-Wizard Tournament and the death of Cedric Diggory to his first kiss with Cho Chang. She was married to a Muggle and had been living as one the last five years, so it came as a shock to her when the wizard press found her and asked her about her romance with Harry Potter, a name she hadn't given a thought to for many years. Ginny told him those things were out of his control.

Harry had intended to get in contact with Draco, but when he had tried, he learned Draco was away on business. When the paper printed stories about the Death Eaters who had supported Voldemort, and the Malfoy's name was brought up, Harry actually felt bad for Draco. He wondered if he had talked to Scorpius about his family's involvement in the war, wondering if he could get any advice from him. He chuckled, thinking about Ron's reaction should he tell him that. Harry Potter getting advice from Draco Malfoy!

March 18

Dear Dad,

I really need your advice. Last week the papers printed stories about Scor's family, saying that they supported Voldemort in the war. Ever since then, Scor's been getting teased and hassled, he's being called a Death Eater and stupid stuff like that.

Some people have even told me and Abby that we shouldn't be friends with him anymore. I don't know why they'd think that. He can't help what his grandparents did, can he? He told me he doesn't believe in any of the things that Voldemort stood for, and that he thinks Harry Potter is a legend!

His dad came to talk to him, but Scor got mad at him, too. Dad, Abby and I have promised him we would always be his friend, that we don't care what other people say about him, we know the truth. I know, if that was me, having my friends and family believe me would be the most important thing. Some people just don't want to know the truth. I just hate to see Scor go through this.

Maybe it would have been better if Harry Potter never came back. His return has brought this all up again. My friend is hurting, Dad, and Abby and I don't know what to do. If you can think of anything, please owl back asap.

Love, Jay.

Ginny finished reading the letter and silently handed it back to Harry. She put her arms around him, drawing his head to her chest.

“I think you need to get in touch with Draco,” she said. Harry nodded.

“He didn't mean it, Harry, about wishing you hadn't come back. He's hurting for his friend, and he doesn't know how to help him. Abby's letter pretty much said the same thing, you know.”

Harry tightened his grip on Ginny. She ran her fingers through his hair, trying to ease his tension.

“Am I being selfish, Gin? Forcing the issue? Bringing it all out in the open?” he asked.

“No, of course not. Are you happy living a lie? Because that's essentially what you have been doing. Or have you been doing it for so long now, that it doesn't feel like a lie any more? The Harry I know hated not being told everything, of having things kept from him. Why shouldn't your son feel the same? Better to hear it from you, than from a clever reporter who puts two and two together and Jamie reads it in the paper,” said Ginny, kissing his forehead.

Harry lay his head on the pillow so he was facing Ginny. He palmed her face, looking into her eyes.
“He led me back to you, Gin, and now, I'm worried that something will go wrong, and we'll be forced apart. I love you Ginny, so much.”

Ginny stared into his burning emerald eyes. “I love you, Harry. Always and forever. Remember that, no matter what happens,” she said proudly.

They spent the rest of the night loving each other, neither of them mentioning they felt as though they were living on borrowed time.

Back to index


Chapter 18: Chapter 18 April 15

Chapter 18 -April 15

Harry came through the floo the next morning, a letter in his hand.

“Gin, Ginny are you here?” he asked.

“In here, Harry, in the kitchen,” she called. Harry went in, kissed her on the cheek and hugged her “Mmm, I missed you last night. Did everything go ok with your work?”

“I have to get to Hogwarts, I just had a letter from McGonagall,” he said hurriedly.

“I did too, I was about to floo you,” said Ginny, waving a letter. “What do you think it's about?”

“I don't know, the letter just said she requires my presence regarding a matter of most importance. That could be anything, couldn't it?”

“Mine said the same. Has Jay mentioned anything unusual in his letters lately? Abby's been asking me a lot of questions about me and her Dad, but I can't imagine that would have anything to do with why McGonagall wants to see us. Are you ready?”

Harry nodded, and they went through the floo and found themselves in Headmistress McGonagall's office. She only kept them waiting for five minutes, and greeted them warmly.

“Ah Mr Potter and Mrs Wood, so sorry to have kept you waiting. Please, have a seat,” she gestured, as she sat down behind her desk. Harry couldn't help looking around at the portraits of Dumbledore, who slept on, and Snape, who glowered.

“Is everything all right with our children?” asked Ginny.

“There has been an incident involving your children, yes, and I thought it best you be informed personally, so thank you for coming at such short notice. I am waiting for another parent to join us, but I can tell you a bit before he gets here. Your children were involved in a fight, which resulted in one child spending the night in the Hospital wing, and another, while not injured, needing magical care.”

Harry and Ginny both gasped. “What happened?” but Professor McGonagall held up her hand and said “Come In.”

Draco entered and the Professor asked him, “How is Scorpius feeling now, Mr Malfoy?”

She gestured for him to have the seat next to Ginny.

“Physically he's fine, he wants to get out of the Hospital wing. Mentally, I don't know,” sighed Draco, taking a seat.

“Please, tell us what happened,” said Ginny, desperately, looking at Harry.

Had Jay, Abby and Scorpius quarrelled? Had it lead to physical fighting?

“Apparently, ever since that damn Daily Prophet article came out, my son has been hassled for having Death Eaters in his family. He didn't say a word about it to me or my wife in any of his letters,” said Draco.

“Jay told me about it, but he said that Abby and he were sticking by Scorpius. What changed?” asked Harry, thinking hard.

It wasn't like his son to get physical, but he was prone to bouts of accidental magic when he was angry.

“Relax Evans, if it weren't for Jay and Abby, Scorpius would be a lot worse. It seems as though a group of boys jumped Scorpius on his way back from the quidditch pitch. He was alone, as it was his turn to pack things away. They were beating him up, punching and kicking,” said Draco, visibly upset.

“Who were they?” asked Ginny in a whisper, appalled.

“A group of third and fourth years who should know better. Unfortunately, they were masked, but we have been able to identify one of the offenders. Michael McClaggen,” said the Professor distastefully.

“Cormac's son?” asked Harry, surprised.

The Professor nodded and took over from Draco, telling them what she knew.

“Scorpius's friends, James and Abigail came to find out what was keeping their friend. They rushed in to help. Unfortunately, they became involved in the fighting. James has a black eye. Abigail has a slight concussion, as she was pushed and fell to the ground, hitting her head. Scorpius suffered a broken arm, and broken ribs. He is very bruised, and, I imagine, very sore.”

“How the hell did they manage to get away, did a teacher come or something?” asked Harry, angrily.

“Your son, Mr Evans, was lying over Scorpius, so they couldn't get to him any more. As a result he has sore ribs, where he was kicked. Somehow, he managed a 'Stupefy' spell, and they all flew off him. The shock of that allowed Abigail to break free of Mr McClaggen's hold, and she did a curse on him. It took them an hour to get all the bat bogey's off his face. Not that they were in a hurry, I can assure you of that! Hagrid came along soon after. Unfortunately, the other boys had fled by then.” said Professor McGonagall.

Harry turned to Draco. “I'm so sorry about Scorpius,” he said.

Draco nodded in acknowledgement.

“I wanted to reassure you that we are doing our best to find the other boys involved. Mr McClaggen has already been removed from the school. Mr Malfoy, I believe you are wanting to take Scorpius home to recover over the Easter break?” she asked.

Draco nodded again.

Professor McGonagall sighed. “Very well. Please, return to your son in the Hospital Wing. I'll have one of the House Elves gather some clothes for him and bring them to you there. Perhaps we can meet after the Easter break, and you can let me know how Scorpius is doing?” she suggested.

Draco stood and held out his hand to the Head Mistress. “Thank you.”

He turned to Harry and Ginny. “Please thank your children for me. Their help, as well as their friendship, is most appreciated, both by my son and myself. Goodbye,” he said, leaving to go and see his son.

They all watched him go, then Harry and Ginny turned back to the Headmistress. She smiled weakly at them. “A most distressing situation. Your children will be here momentarily. They have lost 10 house points each for fighting, and served a detention. However, they also gained 10 house points each for going to Scorpius's aid. I haven't seen them this morning, so I am unaware of how they are feeling about what has happened.”

“I wonder if it would be best to take our children home too, and discuss the other situation with them now,” said Ginny, looking at Harry.

“I think it needs to be done as soon as possible, Mr Potter,” agreed the Headmistress. “Ah, I think this is your children now.”

A knock at the door saw the arrival of Abby and Jay. They rushed into their parents waiting arms. “Mum. Dad.” they each cried.

Harry and Ginny hugged their child, then pulled back. The children looked at them, wondering if they were in trouble. “Please children, have a seat,” said the Headmistress.

Everybody sat down. The children looked apprehensive. Abby groped for Ginny's hand, while Harry kept his arm around Jay's shoulders.

“Relax, children. I have explained the situation to your parents. You have served your detention, and the matter is closed. Mr McClaggen has been expelled, and Scorpius is returning to his home to recuperate. He is expected to rejoin us after the Easter break.”

“Is Scorpius okay? Can we see him before he leaves?” asked Jay.

Harry shook his head. “I think he's already gone, son. Listen, I think it might be best if we go home too. There's a few things we need to discuss. This incident has just highlighted to me that I should do it sooner rather than later,” said Harry, shaking his head.

Jay looked at him in surprise. “What's it about, Dad? Am I in trouble? I will be coming back to Hogwarts, won't I?”

He looked from his Dad to the Headmistress.

“No, son, you're not in trouble. Come on, let's go pack up some clothes and we'll be on our way. Headmistress, we'll be in touch,” said Harry, standing up.

“If I can be of any assistance regarding...anything, please let me know,” said Professor McGonagall.

“What about me, Mum?” asked Abby, looking confused. “Can I come home, too?

Ginny nodded. “Yes love, you can come home too. There are things you need to know, too. Thank you Headmistress,” said Ginny, as they left her office.

Harry and Ginny waited in the Gryffindor common room while their children packed up anything they wanted to take home with them. They talked quietly, before the children came back downstairs.

“I'll owl the family, well Ron and Hermione mainly, are you happy to do this at the Burrow? Neutral territory and all,” smiled Ginny wryly.

Harry grinned but it was weak. “Merlin Gin, I'm so scared he's going to hate me. Or what if, next time, it's him being beaten up because I'm his Dad?”

“We just have to hope that his friends will be there for him, like he was there for Scorpius. I think we should leave it for today, make it for tomorrow morning, okay?” she asked.

Harry nodded, but he looked so lost that Ginny couldn't help hugging him. Neither had noticed Jay coming down the stairs. He watched them, Ginny trying to soothe his Dad's with words, but Jay could tell it wasn't working. He saw his Dad bring Ginny closer, hugging her tightly, almost desperately. Jay coughed, and the couple jumped apart. By the time he got to the bottom of the stairs, they were a foot apart. As soon as Abby came, they left. Jay and Harry went to the owlery to get Sirius, while Ginny and Abby left via the floo in an empty Professor's office.

Harry used the same room to floo Jay and himself home. He asked Jay to put his dirty clothes in the wash and get a load on, while he checked in with his office. Jay was worried, his Dad had a weird look on his face. He wished he could have seen Scor before he left, and he wished he were with Abby right now. He debated whether to send an owl to Scor, without his Dad knowing. Then he heard his Dad call his name.

He went into their lounge. “Hey Jay, do you want to go out for lunch? Thought we could pick up some groceries while we're out, seeing you'll be here for a few days,” asked Harry.

Jay nodded, confused. Where was the lecture? What did his Dad want to talk to him about? Would he do it in public? “Can I send an owl to Scor, Dad? Just to see how he is. Please?” he begged.

“Of course you can. Maybe we can go visit him over the break, what do you say?” asked Harry, grabbing some bags.

“You're not mad at him, at us, for fighting?” asked Jay, surprised.

Harry looked surprised at the question.

“No, no of course not. I'm sorry Scorpius had to deal with that, I didn't realise things were getting that bad for him. Like you said in your letter, it's not his fault what his grandparents did. I'm proud of you for sticking up for your friend, really proud of you, son.”

Harry hugged Jay.

Jay was surprised and thrilled. He hugged his Dad back. “Wow, er, thanks Dad. I thought I was in for a lecture about fighting, for sure.”

Harry chuckled. “Of course, I do have to do the responsible dad thing, and remind you that fighting doesn't solve anything. Those other boys, they were cowards, they didn't even have the guts to show their faces. Hey, when did learn the Stupefy spell? Isn't that a bit advanced for a first year?”

Jay laughed. “There's always someone who leaves their books lying around. I like to read ahead, I've already read the Standard Book of Spells Grades 1,2 and 3. I'm starting to read about Ancient Runes, it's fascinating, Dad.”

“You mentioned that in one of your letters, that you wanted to add that and Arithmancy for your third year,” said Harry, as they left their apartment and wandered off to the shops. They kept discussing it as they walked.

They had a pleasant lunch, and had fun together shopping at the market. They put the groceries away, then Harry had a phone call from his work. He had to go and see his boss, but didn't want to leave Jay home alone. Jay didn't really want to go with him, he'd been to his dad's office before, and it was kind of boring.

“Dad, I'll be fine. I'll lock the door behind you, and I'll call your mobile if I need you. Hey, you're a wizard, you can apparate home in like, ten seconds,” said Jay, grinning.

“Ten seconds, what am I, an amateur? I can make it home in five seconds, two if it's an emergency,” winked Harry. “Look, I should be home in an hour, maybe less. Maybe we can watch a movie tonight? You could pick one out while I'm gone,” he suggested.

“Okay. Sounds good, unless you want to get together with Abby and her mum? Er, how's that going, anyway?” he asked, blushing.

Harry smiled, and put his hand on his son's shoulder. “I would just like to spend the night with my son, okay? I am expecting to hear from Gi-er, Mrs Wood, but I'm not sure if she'll owl or fire call. Now, I'm off, I'll be back as soon as I can. Lock the door behind me,” he instructed.

Jay smiled and locked the door. He sent Sirius off with a note to Scorpius, and continued putting his things away in his bedroom. He remembered the washing, and decided to get the wet clothes out and run them in the dryer.

He was absent mindedly pulling his and his dad's clothes out, thinking about his dad. It had felt good that afternoon, his dad treating him in a more grown up way. Jay supposed he had got a bit more independent, being away from home for the first time. He was just thinking about calling his Mum, when he pulled out a pair of pale pink silky knickers from the washing machine. A matching bra followed. He stared at them, then dropped them suddenly, as he realised who they must belong too, and what it meant that they were there, in his dad's washing machine. He shoved everything in the dryer, and turned it on. He wandered back to his room, needing to think.

“Hello, is anybody home? Jamie, Mr Evans, are you there?” called Abby. “Darn Mum, it doesn't look like they're home.”

“Wait, Abby, it's me, Jay, I'm here!” shouted Jay, getting off his bed and racing into the lounge.

Abby's head was no longer in the fire, but Abby's mum was coming through the floo. She look surprised to see him.

“Oh hello, Jamie. Abby didn't think anyone was home,” said Ginny, in a friendly voice.

“Yeah, sorry, I was just in my room when I heard her call. I'd just finished the washing, you see and -” He immediately shut up, he didn't want to think about what was in his laundry right now, he was finding it hard to look her in the eye as he kept picturing pink underwear.

“Are you all right Jamie, you look a bit flushed?” asked Ginny, concernedly. She came a bit closer. Jay backed away. He'd noticed that he was eye level with her chest, which made him think of pink underwear.

“I-I'm fine. How's Abby? Why are you here?” he asked desperately.

“Oh, I just wanted to leave a note for your dad, about tomorrow. He did mention he had things to discuss with you, didn't he? Well, if it's all right with you, he'd like to do it at the Burrow. Ten o'clock tomorrow, okay? Abby will be there, too,” she said, making her way back to the floo.

“Mrs Wood, wait!” Jay called as Ginny was about to floo away.

He could hear Abby call something out. Ginny looked at him expectantly. “Um, I just, that is, well, my dad really likes you,” he said in a rush.

Ginny smiled softly. “I really like your dad too, Jamie,” she said.

“No, I mean he really likes you, you know, likes you,” he said, nodding his head, trying to make her understand without saying the words. Ginny nodded.

“It's just that I saw you. With Harry Potter. The day you all came and he talked to us. I-I wanted to meet him, and so Abby , Scor and I went to find him. He was with you and you were, er, together,” Jay said.

Ginny sighed. “Everything will be clearer tomorrow, Jay. Now, I really must go, Abby's hollering for me,” she said.

“Mrs Wood, please. Please don't hurt my dad. You're the first girl he's gone out with since he and Mum split up, well, that I know of. He's happier than I've ever seen him, and I think a lot of that is because of you. But he can't compete against Harry Potter. I don't want him to be sad again.”

Ginny paused, then came over to Jay. “Your dad doesn't have to compete against Harry Potter, believe me. I don't want him to be sad again, either. Hopefully, after tomorrow, you'll understand a lot of things about your dad. He's a very special man, and very special to me. So are you, Jay. I'm glad my Abby met you on the train that day.”

Ginny gave him a hug. Jay liked the way that Ginny gave hugs, and she smelt really good too. It made him miss his Mum, and he reminded himself to give her a call. He pulled away from Ginny.

She walked back to the floo. “Goodbye Jamie, we'll see you at the Burrow about ten tomorrow morning, okay? Tell your dad I said hi. Enjoy your night together.”

Ginny leaned her head in the fire to hear Abby saying something. “All right, I'm coming. Keep your knickers on!”

With a wink at a blushing Jay, she was gone. He let out a breath and groaned. Why, why, why did she have to mention knickers! Now all he could think about was silky pink underwear.

Harry came home soon after. He had arranged to have a week off work, and despite his worry about how things would go the next day, he was looking forward to spending the time with Jay. His son had really matured since he'd been at Hogwarts, and he hoped that would help him get through the next day.

“-okay Mum, I'll ask dad, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'll let you know. Yep, okay, bye Mum,” said Jay, hanging up the phone. “That was Mum,” he said, unnecessarily to Harry.

“Yep, I got that,” said Harry, teasing.

“She wants to know if I can see her while I'm here. I can, can't I?” asked Jay.

“Of course you can,” agreed Harry. “Now, what movie did you pick out? I'm going to make a start on the salad, then later I'll just have to cook off the steaks. Did you get the washing done?” he asked.

Jay went into the laundry, and came out holding a bag. “Yeah, I got the washing done. By the way, Mrs Wood came over, she wanted to let you know that we're to go to the Burrow at ten o'clock tomorrow morning. Abby will be there, too, she said,” said Jay.

“Good,” said Harry, starting to cut up tomatoes and cucumbers.

“Um, maybe you could give this back to her then. I didn't feel right, me giving it to her,” he said, handing over the bag.

Curiously, Harry looked in the bag, then snapped it shut, jerking his head up to see Jay grinning at him.

“I-er-I, um-” stuttered Harry, unable to look his son in the eye.

“It's okay Dad. I think it's great. Not that!” he said, indicating the underwear in the bag, “but that you've got a girlfriend. Mrs Wood's really nice. I thought she was into Harry Potter, but she told me you're very special to her. Sounds promising, Dad. Don't stuff it it up!” teased Jay.

“She said that? To you? Wait, what's this about Harry Potter?” asked Harry.

“I told her I saw her and him, Harry Potter, they day he came to Hogwarts. I wanted to meet him and went to find him. I found him kissing Mrs Wood, and I mean kissing! I haven't ever seen anyone kiss like that, except in the movies. I thought that meant she didn't like you like that. I guess that,” again he indicated the bag, “shows I was wrong. I guess you're better at kissing and stuff than even Harry Potter,” finished Jay.

“Kissing AND STUFF? What stuff do you know about?” asked Harry worriedly, as his son went to the fridge. Was he going to have to have The Talk with his 11 year old son right NOW?

Jay shrugged, as he got a can out the fridge. “I don't know. Stuff. I hear the older boys talk in the common room. Why, what do you want to know? Guess it's been awhile, right?” he smirked.

“Thanks, but I don't think I need advice from my 11 year old son,” said Harry wryly.

“I'm nearly 12, Dad! Besides, I don't believe half of what I hear. I mean, I get the kissing and hugging, but the rest! Sounds gross! If that's what sex is, I don't want a part of it,” declared Jay, screwing up his nose.

“I'm going to remind you of this conversation in three or four years,” chuckled Harry. “Don't worry, son, I didn't start to notice girls until my third or fourth year,” said Harry.

“Were you ever in love, Dad, you know, beside Mum?” asked Jay.

Harry nodded, ignoring the 'beside Mum' comment. “Yes son, I was.”

“How did you know you loved her?” Jay asked.

“She was the sunshine in my gloomy grey life. She was the anchor that kept me grounded, yet she was the one to let me soar if I wanted to. She knew me better than I knew myself. I broke up with her during the war, because I needed her to be safe, to be someone I could come home to. She gave me everything, didn't hold anything back. I had nothing left to give, so I left. She was supposed to come with me, but it wasn't meant to be,” said Harry softly, lost in his memories.

“Wow. I had no idea, Dad. She sounds really special. Did she die in the war?” Jay asked.

“No son, she didn't. Now, I think that's enough serious discussion for one night. Let me get back to the salad, and you can pop the movie in. We'll have an early tea and an early night. It's going to be a big day tomorrow,” said Harry, firmly.

“Can't you tell me what tomorrow's talk will be about? Why do we have to go the Burrow? Am I in trouble?” asked Jay, getting a movie off the shelf, and putting it in the dvd player.

“No, you're not in trouble, I thought you liked the Burrow, and I can't begin to tell you without actually telling you, so the answer to that is no, too,” said Harry.

“I do like the Burrow, it's probably the coolest house I've ever seen. Will all Abby's aunts and uncles be there? There's like, a hundred!” he said.

Harry smiled. “I know, I remember when there was just the nine of them, and me. Now, with them all married and with kids, well, it's crazy!” laughed Harry.

“A good crazy!” agreed Jay. “Didn't Harry Potter stay there lot's too?”

“I think it will just be Molly and Arthur, Abby's grandparents, Ron and Hermione, Ginny and Abby tomorrow,” said Harry, ignoring Jay's last question. “Ron's wife and kids may be there. Really, any of the family could pop in any time,” he said.

“Abby's grandparents said I could call them Nana and Grandpa. Would that be okay, Dad? I don't have any grandparents of my own. Nana Molly gives the biggest hugs, I reckon,” said Jay.

Harry agreed. “I know, she hugs you so hard, it's like she's breaking your back. Then she wants to feed you,” laughed Harry.

“I guess that's where Ginny gets it from, giving good hugs. She, er hugged me before, when she was here. It was nice,” said Jay, blushing.

“Yes, she does give good hugs,” said Harry with a big grin on his face.

“So, she gives good hugs, and the way she kissed Harry Potter, I can tell she's a great kisser. Boy, you lucked out Dad,” said Jay.

“Yes, son, I did,” said Harry, quietly.


A/N Thanks to Logan for doing a quick beta via Facebook!!















Back to index


Chapter 19: Chapter 19 April 16

Author's Notes: A chapter I struggled with a lot, as I worried about underplaying Jay's reaction to being the son of Harry Potter. Please let me know what you think.


Chap 19 April 16

Harry and Jay flooed to the Burrow just before ten the next morning. Immediately, Molly gathered first Jay, then Harry in a bone breaking hug. Remembering their conversation the night before, Harry and Jay exchanged a smile. She ushered them to the table, where Arthur was finishing his breakfast, while reading the paper. He greeted them, explaining they were the first to arrive.

Ron's hand on the family clock moved to 'travelling', and Harry felt nervous. He wished Ginny would hurry up and arrive. Jay was munching on some of Molly's home made biscuits and talking to Arthur.

He heard Ron floo in and greet his Mum. A minute later, he came from the kitchen into the dining room. He greeted his Dad and Jay. He stopped when he saw Harry, before coming to give him a big hug.

“Still can't believe you're actually here, mate, when are you coming over to my place? Mel can't wait to have you over for tea, or something. Damn, it's good to see you,” he said, slapping Harry on the back.

Jay look confused as he looked between the men. “Dad, I didn't know you knew Ron Weasley.”

Ron laughed. “Know me? This here is my best mate. Met him on the Hogwarts train when we were eleven, didn't we?”

Harry nodded, his eyes on Jay.

“Just like me and Abby,” said Jay, still looking between both men.

Ron nodded, grinning.

“Hope we're still good to go to a quidditch game in the summer, Jay? My boy Dan, and your Dad, it should be fun.”

“We'll have to see, Ron,” said Harry in a warning tone.

“Dad, what's going on?” asked Jay, suspiciously.

“You have told him, haven't you?” asked Ron to Harry, who shook his head.

Ron sighed.

“Dad, what's he talking about? Told me what?” asked Jay, getting worried.

He started to think of what his Dad might have to tell him, and why he wanted the Weasley family around.

“Dad, you're not, um, you're not-?”

“What, Jay?” asked Harry earnestly. “You can ask me anything?”

“Are you-are you dying?” he burst out.

Harry realised he'd been holding his breath, as he exhaled loudly.

“No, Jay, I'm not dying,” assured Harry.

“He's Harry Potter,” said Abby, from the door.

Ginny, who was coming behind Abby, gasped.

“What!” cried Jay, swinging his head from Abby to Harry.

Abby came into the room and looked at Harry. “You are, aren't you?

Ginny looked distressed. “Abby, honey, please, this is between Jamie and Harry,” she said.

Jay looked at her. “You called him Harry. You called my Dad, Harry.”

He turned back to Harry. “You can't be Harry Potter, can you? Are you? Show me!” Jay demanded, getting agitated.

Without taking his eyes off Jay, he took his wand out and removed his glamour. Finally he stood before his son, as Harry Potter. Jay looked over him, seemingly stunned.

“Your eyes. They're the same as mine now,” Jay said.

Harry nodded. “We got them from my Mum,” he said.

Everyone in the dining room was silent, waiting for Jay's reaction. He looked at Harry, as if he was a stranger.

“I-I don't understand? How can you be my Dad, but be Harry Potter. It-It's crazy. You're all pulling a prank, aren't you? Well, it's not funny, all right.”

Jay started backing away from everybody.

“Jay, please, let me explain. It's true, I am Harry Potter, and you are James Evans Potter. When I left here fifteen years ago, I changed my appearance with a glamour, and took the name Henry Evans, Evans was my Mum's maiden name.”

“Stop it, I don't want to hear any more. Just leave me alone,” cried Jay, running out the back door.

“Jay!” called Harry, but he had taken off.

Jay ran as fast as he could, although he really didn't know his way around the Burrow. He ran until he was out of breath, and the tears spilling from his eyes made it hard for him to see where he was going. He sat down, leaning against a tree, near the lake. His hands in his head, he tried to make head and tails of what he had been told.

His Dad had left the wizarding world after the war. Just like Harry Potter. He'd met Ron Weasley on the Hogwarts Express his first day. Just like Harry Potter. He'd kissed Ginny Wood (and maybe more). Just like Harry Potter. His Dad had been in Gryffindor. Just like Harry Potter. His eyes...

“Shit!” yelled Jay. His Dad was Harry Potter.

“Worked it all out yet?” asked Ron, coming to stand next to he tree Jay was leaning against.

Jay nodded, without looking at him.

“It's not a bad thing, you know. Your Dad is still your Dad. Nothing's changed there. He's still my best mate, and I haven't seen him for fifteen years.”

“Why? If you haven't seen him for fifteen years, why is he still your best mate? Mate's stay in touch, they don't leave. If he cared about Ginny, Abby's mum so much, he would have come back.”

“He had a good reason to leave. He had a better reason for staying away,” said Ron.

“What?” asked Jay. He was starting to get a headache, it was so much to think about!

“You! He met your Mum, and then you came along. Ginny said Harry told her you were a happy family, for a while. Family is the most important thing to Harry.”

“Ginny told you that?” Ron nodded. “We were happy, until I did magic. Then Dad had to tell her the truth, about him, about me. Why didn't he come back then? Why didn't he change to Harry Potter then?” Jay cried.

“I don't know why your Dad didn't come back then. He had a good job he liked, didn't he? He was still living with your Mum and you then, wasn't he? You weren't very old, right?” asked Ron.

Jay shrugged. “I was three or four. Dad stayed in the house till I was seven. He loves his job, he helps lots of kids,” said Jay.

“There you go, they all sound like good reasons why he was happy to stay where he was, doesn't it?” asked Ron, rhetorically.

“What about when I went to Hogwarts, he told me lots of things before I left, but nothing about that.
I even mentioned Harry Potter in letters to him, and he said nothing back,” argued Jay.

“Well, I understand you only got your Hogwarts letter a couple of days before you left, is that right? Well, if Harry had told you the truth, you wouldn't have had long to get used to it, or ask him all the questions you were bound to have, before you had to leave him to go to a place where Harry Potter is the Numero Uno Wizard.”

“I suppose,” said Jay, grudgingly. “Why is he telling me now? Is everything going to change?” he asked, worried.

“I think he wants to tell you now because of what happened with the Malfoy boy. Someone was bound to sniff it out, the press have been dragging up his history ever since we came to Hogwarts. He wanted to be the one to tell you, before the story broke. The press will go nuts, you know. Harry Potter is back, and has a son!”

“What's the big deal?” asked Jay. It's just me and my Dad, who happens to be Harry Potter.”

“I couldn't have said it any better myself,” said Harry, joining them. He patted Ron on the back.
“Thanks mate, you've still got my back!”

“Always,” said Ron sincerely. “For you and your son, always. I'll leave you to it,” he said, turning and heading back to the Burrow.

“Hermione's there,” called Harry. Ron waved his hand in the air, but continued walking. Harry turned back to Jay, and came and sat next to him.

“So-?” he said, nervously.

“Is the press really going to be crazy?” asked Jay. Harry nodded.

“Probably. There are laws now, that prevent them coming too close, and with you being underage, well, Hermione is looking into it,” said Harry.

“Hermione Granger?” asked Jay.

Harry nodded. “She was my other best friend at school,” he said.

“What about Ginny, er, Mrs Wood?” asked Jay.

Harry smiled. “I met her when she was 10, she wished me good luck on my first day as I was getting on the train. I met her properly the next year, when I came here to stay in the holidays. I really got to know her my fifth and sixth year, and we started going out my sixth year, her fifth.”

“She was the one, wasn't she? The one who knew you better than you knew yourself. The one you left behind, but meant to come back to. Only you met Mum, and she got pregnant with me,” said Jay.

“Yes, she was. Jay, I don't regret meeting your Mum, I wouldn't have you if I hadn't met your Mum. You're my son, and I love you. That's the most important thing to me,” Harry insisted.

“You're back together now, right? You're even sleeping together. She must hate me and Mum, because we kept you away from us. If you're together, you might get married, maybe even have another kid. You won't care about me any more,” said Jay, getting worked up again.

“No, Jay , you're wrong. Ginny doesn't hate you or your Mum. You will always be important to me Jay,” promised Harry.

“Dad, can I have some time alone. I-I've just got a lot to think about,” said Jay.

“Sure son, I'll be back at the house. Come back when you're ready. You can ask me anything, you know. I promise to answer all your questions,” said Harry.

Jay nodded, and Harry left, with hope in his heavy heart.

Meanwhile, back at the Burrow, Ginny was talking with Abby in the front garden. They had been out there since Ron came back.

“You shouldn't have told him, Abby. It was up to Harry to tell Jamie, the way he wanted,” berated Ginny.

“You shouldn't have kept it a secret. Why shouldn't Jay know? He doesn't even really understand why Harry Potter is such a big deal in our world, even after he was at Hogwarts,” said Abby.

“It was Harry's decision to keep it a secret, but he was always going to tell Jamie. He just wanted to do it face to face. I think he had planned to do it in the summer holidays, but with what happened to Scorpius, we decided to tell you now. You know students don't usually come home for Easter.”

“How long have you known? I thought there was something going on with you both on New Years Day, when they came for breakfast. Oh my god, he sent you the flowers and chocolates for Christmas, didn't he? You've known for ages, Mum!”

“I suspected. I wasn't one hundred per cent sure until a couple of weeks after New Years,” said Ginny.

“How did you find out then?” asked Abby.

“Oh, er, I just asked to take it off-his glamour, I mean,” stuttered Ginny, going red.

“Oh my God, I just realised. You're the one, aren't you? It's you. You're the girl he had to walk past on his way to Voldemort. You're the one he went out with before he left to go on the Horcrux Hunt.
You're the one they say is the love of his life,” said Abby, her eyes wide.

“Who said that, where did you hear all that?” asked Ginny, surprised.

“After you all came to Hogwarts, someone in Gryffindor got a book about Harry Potter. I had a quick read of it, it mentions him fighting trolls, and a three headed dog. It talked about werewolves, and giant snakes in a chamber below the school. Harry didn't talk about any of that. Is any of that true?” she asked.

“That's for Harry to tell you and Jamie, if he chooses to. Yes, Harry and I went out before he left with Ron and Hermione, and we got back together after the war was over, but that was fifteen years ago,” said Ginny.

“You're together now, though. If you are the love of his life, was he yours? What about my Dad? Did you love him like you love Harry?” asked Abby, in tears.

“Abby, it's hard to explain, I-”

“No, it's not Mum. Did you love my Dad, like you loved Harry Potter?” Abby demanded.

“Abby, I can't compare them, it's two different situations. I was only seventeen when the war ended, when I got back together with Harry. I was twenty- one, twenty -two when I was with your Dad, and had you. We were happy, you know we were,” cried Ginny, tears streaming down her face as she tried to make Abby understand.

“You were going to go with him, Harry, I mean. When he left, all those years ago, you were going to go with him, weren't you? You would have left your family and friends for him.”

“Yes,” whispered Ginny.

“You loved him enough to leave everything behind. You planned a life away from here,” Abby cried, gesturing to the Burrow.

“We didn't plan to be away forever. We thought we'd be gone maybe a year. I would have got in touch with my family,” defended Ginny.

“Did you think he would come back for you? Did you wait for him?” asked Abby, not noticing Harry coming up behind her.

“Yes,” whispered Ginny again. “Your Dad was the only other man I went out with. You know how we met,” she implored Abby.

“He was a substitute, Mum, face it. You never loved him, not like you do Harry. I saw you kissing Harry, that day at Hogwarts. You never kissed Dad like that, EVER! Now he's back, you probably wish you'd never married Dad. You probably even wish that you didn't have me, and that Jamie was your son,” cried Abby, really sobbing now.

“No, Abby, it's not true. I love you so much. Please Abby, please just listen-”

“No, I don't want to hear any more. Leave me alone,” cried Abby, running back into the house.

“Oh God,” cried Ginny. She would have collapsed on the ground if Harry's strong arms hadn't come around to catch her.

“Ssh, love, I've got you,” said Harry, brushing a kiss on her forehead and holding her tight.

“God Harry, that was awful. I'm sorry she told Jamie, and that I blurted out your name. How did things go with Jamie?” she asked, sniffing and wiping her eyes on the hanky he offered her.

“I really don't know. Ron spoke to him first, and that seemed to go okay. When I got there, he didn't ask me too much, then asked me to give him some space. That's when I came back and found you and Abby. What was that all about?” Harry asked.

“She was asking me about you and I, if I loved you more than I loved Oliver. What do I tell her? I tried to explain that it was two different situations, but she called me on it. She told me Oliver was a substitute, and she was right. But I wouldn't have her if I didn't marry Oliver. Oh, Harry!” she cried, burrowing her face into his chest, as his arms came protectively up and around her.

“It's ok, love, we'll be ok. They just need to adjust to the news. Come on, let's go inside and get a cup of tea, or something. Coming out of the closet has made me hungry,” he grinned.

Ginny smiled weakly. “Um, Harry, I'm not sure what coming out means in the Muggle world, but here it means that you're gay!”

Harry chuckled. “Yeah, it means the same there, I was just trying to lighten the moment. Besides, I think we both know I'm not gay!” Ginny grinned, as they went inside.

Jay had wandered closer to the house, and had actually witnessed the end of Abby's fight with her Mum, and his Dad comforting her after Abby stormed off. He watched his Dad kiss Ginny's forehead, and hold her tight. Jay didn't remember ever seeing his Dad have as much physical contact with his Mum. He knew they hugged occasionally, and that his Dad still pecked her cheek sometimes, but it was in a polite way, as you'd greet a relative you hadn't seen in a while.

He watched them go inside the Burrow, but he didn't want to join them, not yet. He still didn't know how he felt about everything. He wasn't so much freaked out about Harry Potter being his Dad, he just felt lost.

Jay wandered into Mr Weasley's shed, surprised to find a lot of everyday household items in there. He picked up a spinning top, pumped it and watch it twirl round and round. It was kind of how he felt.

“Ah, so that's what it does? Amazing. Thank you, James,” said Mr Weasley, picking up a clipboard and ticking something off.

“You got a lot of stuff here. Is it stuff that's been enchanted?” asked Jay, remembering his trip to the MOM after New Years.

“Yes, once we're removed the enchantment, then we find out what the Muggles actually use it for. There's a couple of things here, you might be able to help me with,” said Arthur, pulling out a box full of objects.

Once Jay had identified a bicycle pump, a photo copier machine and a juicer, he sat back to watch Mr Weasley write some facts down on his clip board. He sighed, causing Mr Weasley to look at him, putting down his clip board.

“Been quite a morning for you, hasn't it?” he asked Jay. Jay nodded.

“Do you want to talk about it? Is there anything I can help you with?” asked Arthur.

“You took my Dad in, he told me you practically adopted him,” said Jay.

Arthur nodded. “ Ron had written to us in his first year to say he had become friends with him. Molly knitted him a Weasley jumper for Christmas that year, and once you get a Weasley jumper, well son, you know you're family. We didn't actually meet Harry until the summer before the boys returned to Hogwarts for their second year. Ron and two of his brothers, Fred and George, went to Harry's Muggle relatives to rescue him, and they brought him home here. Took my enchanted car, they did,” said Arthur proudly.

“Enchanted car? Sounds cool! Wait, why did they have to rescue Harry, I mean, my Dad?” asked Jay.

“Your Dad's relatives hated magic. They knew Harry was magical but they didn't tell him. They treated him abominably, even locking him in a cupboard under the stairs. Once he got his Hogwarts letter, they let him use a bedroom upstairs, but they put bars on the windows. My boys helped him to escape. If Molly and I had our way, he would have come to us all the time after that, but he had to go back. It was to do with the blood protection, you see. Harry's mother was his aunt's sister. You know about the blood protection, don't you?” asked Arthur.

Jay nodded. “Harry talked about it a bit when he came to Hogwarts recently. So, he stayed here, every summer?”

“Not the year before his third year. You see, he had done under age magic and blown his Aunt Marge up, and he ran away from home, taking the Knight Bus. He stayed at Diagon Alley until we met him there. We had gone to Egypt, you see, and he wasn't allowed to come with us. Then there was the year before his fifth year. Harry and his cousin were attacked by Dementor's, and Harry had to appear before the Wizenmagot Council to show why he shouldn't have done magic in front of his cousin. He nearly got expelled. That year we stayed at Grimmauld Place.” said Arthur.

Jay's head was swimming. Dementors, Knight Bus, Wizenmagot! Blown his Aunt up! “Sounds like my Dad had an exciting time.”

“Exciting? No, that's not the right word, son. Try lonely or terrifying. I think that's why he liked it here so much. Here, he was just another one of my boys, safe and loved. We did love him, you know, as much as any of our own kids, and Harry wanted to be a part of a family. That's why it hurt so much when he lost Sirius.”

“Sirius? Sirius Black, you mean? Why would that hurt Harry, I mean, my Dad?”

“Harry found out that Sirius was his godfather. He had been in Azkaban for years but he broke out when he heard that Voldemort was back and trying to kill Harry. Sirius had been best friends with Harry's dad, James and another friend, Remus Lupin,” explained Arthur.

“My name's James. So I'm named after my Grandpa Potter, am I? Is Remus Lupin Teddy's dad?” he asked Arthur.

“Yes son, you were named for James Potter, your Grandpa. A great man, well, all of them were. Molly and I knew them from the Order of the Phoenix, you see.”

“Order of the Phoenix? What's that?” asked Jay, sitting on a stool.

“Dumbledore started it, a group of witches and wizards who were fighting for the Light, to stop Voldemort, even before your Dad was born.. Molly and her brothers were involved. James had married Lily, your grandmother. Frank and Alice Longbottom., Amelia Bones, Alastor Moody. So many names I can give you, James, some of the best names in the wizarding world.”

“Longbottom? You mean, Neville Longbottom? His parents?” asked Jay. Arthur nodded.

“They were great people, your grandparents were great friends with them. Sadly, we lost a lot of those witches and wizards, Molly herself lost her two brothers. How Harry survived, well, it's a testimony to how much your grandmother loved him. I'm sure it's how he feels about you, too.”

“When Harry, my Dad, came to the school, he mentioned a prophecy. He said it could have been him or Neville, Professor Longbottom. To be the Chosen One, I mean. He said something about the Power the Dark Lord knows not. He said, in the end, it was that Power that helped my dad defeat Voldemort.”

Arthur nodded. “With all that Harry has had to endure, he's never lost his ability to love. His friends and family were, no, are everything to him. He was prepared to sacrifice his life to defeat Voldemort. It's a miracle he survived that. It's no wonder he found it so hard to deal with everything after the war,” said Arthur, sadly.

“So he left,” said Jay. “Aren't you mad about that? That he left, and was going to take Abby's Mum with him?”

“How can I be mad? I'm sad that we didn't realise how much he was hurting, that he felt the only way to get better was to leave. As for Ginny, well, it didn't surprise me at all that she was going to go with him. If you had seen them together, you'd understand,” said Arthur, gently.

“If it was anything like what they're like now, then I do understand. So, how could he leave her, and not come back to her, if he loved her so much?” asked Jay angrily.

“He always sees the best in other people, yet not in himself. He didn't feel worthy of Ginny, despite what he had done, because he wasn't coping as he thought he should. None of that mattered to Ginny, though. She had long gotten over her crush on Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived. She loved Harry. Just Harry. He wanted to be the best person he could, for her. He went to get the help he needed. I don't think he expected it to take so long to return, from what he has said.”

“That's just it, what's bothering me. He should have come back, would have come back, if it wasn't for me. Me being born, I mean. I'm not dumb, I did the maths, I know my Mum and Dad got married because I was on the way. If I wasn't born, Harry might have come home much sooner,” said Jay.

“He's home now, and brought his wonderful son with him. It's not ours to question the what ifs, son. Thanks to you being born, Harry and you are here today,” said Arthur, simply.

“But who am I? I don't feel like James Evans any more. I don't feel like James Potter, that's for sure. I feel lost. Like I'm nothing. Like I shouldn't exist, should never have been born!” cried Jay, breaking down.

Arthur held him in his strong arms, patting his back. “You need to talk to your father about this, James.”

Jay held on to Arthur tighter. “I don't want to. It's too hard, too much. Can I stay here, just tonight? I don't want to go home with him, I just need some space. Please?”

“I'll go and talk to Harry soon. Come on, James, calm down now,” said Arthur in a calming voice.

It took Arthur half an hour to calm James down well enough to leave him, and go and find Harry. He was sitting on the bench outside the Burrow, waiting for his son. He stood up as Arthur approached.

“Mr Weasley, have you seen Jay? I thought he'd be back by now,” said Harry, looking over Arthur's shoulders in the direction he'd last seen Jay.

“James is in my shed, Harry. We've been talking, he's still quite emotional. He, er wants to stay here tonight, said he needs some space. I don't know if it's the best thing, but I didn't want to upset the boy further. It's fine with us, as long as you're okay with it.”

Harry ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. “I don't want to upset him either. I thought if it were just me and him, well, he could ask me anything.”

“He has been asking me questions about your life. I dare say, he will be quite enthralled by some of your adventures with Ron and Hermione if you decide to share them with him. It's the leaving, and his part in your life, that he seems to be most troubled by. He feels as if he has lost his identity.”

“God, Mr Weasley, how do I get him through this. Have I done the wrong thing, letting him go to Hogwarts? Maybe I should have gotten him into Beauxbatons instead,” said Harry.

“Then you would have had to completely uproot his life, and yours. You know, more than anybody Harry, there is no point second guessing. What's done is done. I really think once he has had time to digest it all, he'll come to you for more answers. Just give him time,” answered Arthur, patting Harry on his back.

“Ginny's having problems with Abby, too. She's giving Ginny a hard time about Ginny's feelings for Oliver compared to how Ginny felt about me,” said Harry.

“Feels about you, present tense. Harry, none of my boys have worried me the way I worried about my Ginny. From the incident in the Chamber of Secrets, to her marriage to Oliver. I would always ask her — 'are you happy, are you okay?' She would always smile and nod. She's a tough girl, my Ginny. Only three times have I ever seen her smile with her eyes, be really truly happy. The day she had Abby, and when I found out she was planning to leave with you,” smiled Arthur sadly.

“You knew we were going to leave?” asked Harry, astounded.

Arthur nodded. “Yes, I found out. I confronted her, told her I forbid it, she couldn't go. I knew it would break Molly's heart, and being so soon after losing Fred, well...”

Arthur wiped his eyes, remembering that awful time after the war. “She told me she had to go, that you needed her. She told me she was of age now, she didn't need my permission, but wanted my blessing. You were in love with each other, she told me. Her place was by your side, she said. I asked her if she was sure.”

“She looked at me and smiled, no, she glowed, you know when she gets that look. He loves me, she said, and I love him. We belong together. You know what he went through, for all of us. Now, I have to be there for him. She reminded me I would do the same for Molly, and she was right. So I convinced Molly that she should let you be the one to see Ginny through the platform, knowing you were going to take another train. I wish to God you had gone off together, but it wasn't to be,” said Arthur, wiping his eyes.

Harry had tears in his eyes when he asked, “You said three times. When was the third?”

“The day, not so long ago, we saw you in Ginny's house after all these years. When you left, she turned to us, and there it was, after all these years. The smile I had wanted to see for so long. She tried to love Oliver, she was a good wife and is a great mother. The thing is, Ginny gave her heart away a long time ago. No other man ever stood a chance. I knew it, and I suspect Oliver knew it, too,” said Arthur.

“I'm sorry, Mr Weasley,” said Harry, feeling guilty.

“For what, son? Loving my daughter? For her loving you? Ginny is right, there is no use worrying about what might have been, just deal with what is happening now. You and your son, and Ginny and her daughter. Deal with it, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. That's all you can do.”

Harry nodded and thought for a minute. “I think I'll just go and tell Jay he can stay tonight. I f he needs me, for anything, even if it's to ask one question, please floo me, or fire call. I don't think I'll sleep much tonight, anyway,” said Harry.

“Will you be at your place or Ginny's?” asked Arthur, with a twinkle in his eye.

Harry sighed. “Mine. I don't think Gin and I need any distractions tonight, in case our kids need us.”

Arthur nodded. “Agreed. But the kids also need to see the two of you are united in this, that you both have their best interests at heart. Don't let them separate you. Now, go and let Jay know he can stay,” said Arthur.

Harry popped into the shed, telling Jay he could stay the night at the Burrow. He begged Jay to floo home or call him if he wanted to talk about anything. He promised to be there, no matter the time or the subject. He told Jay he loved him, and he would floo back the next day, if he didn't hear from him before. Jay nodded, but said nothing.

Ginny agreed it would be best to spend the night apart. Hermione was upstairs, in Ginny's old bedroom, talking to Abby, as she didn't want to talk to her mum. Ginny was heartbroken, but she told Harry she'd stay at the Burrow a bit longer, in case either child wanted to talk. Abby hadn't said anything about staying at the Burrow that night, and Ginny still hoped to take her home.

With heavy hearts, Harry and Ginny said goodbye to each other. They knew they had to put their children's need first, yet as they looked into each other's eyes, they both feared that a possible life together may be the casualty. It would be a long, lonely night for them both.








/







Back to index


Chapter 20: Chapter 20 April 30

Author's Notes: One of my favourite chapters, really happy how it turned out, hope you feel the same.


April 17-30

Jay returned home to Harry's apartment the next morning, accompanied by Ron. He immediately disappeared into his room, leaving Ron to inform Harry that Abby had returned home to Ginny that morning as well. After reassuring Harry that the children just needed time, Ron left.

Jay came out of his room to ask if he could go and visit Scorpius. Harry agreed, wanting to talk to Draco. They owled the Malfoy's, and within the hour, Jay and Scorpius were in his room talking, while Draco and Harry talked downstairs. They discussed the recent meeting at Hogwarts, and the repercussions for Scorpius.

“How is Scorpius handling it? Is he worried about going back to Hogwarts?” asked Harry, regarding his beating.

“Physically he's recovered, but I can tell he's worried about going back. It helps him to know that McGonagall has found the other boys involved, and they have been expelled. Jay and Abby's friendship will help him, I'm sure. Has your son recovered?” asked Draco.

“I think learning that I'm his father has made him forget his injuries. We told him yesterday, and he didn't take it well. He spent the night at the Weasley home, and as soon as he returned home today, he wanted to come here. I think it's easy to say he wants to avoid being alone with me,” said Harry.

“How are you dealing with it? Is he going back to school as James Potter? How are you going to handle the Press about him?” asked Draco.

“We haven't discussed anything like that yet. Once I know how Jay feels about it all, we'll make those decisions then. I plan to hold a press conference at some stage. If Jay agrees, I'll announce him as my son then, as well as letting people know my future plans,” said Harry.

“Plans that include Ginny Wood, no doubt,” teased Draco.

“I hope so. She's having her own issues with Abby. We're hoping that, given time, the kids will come to understand, and we can all move forward.”

“I never thought I'd say it, but I'm glad Scorpius is friends with your boy, Potter. It's meant a lot to him,” said Draco.

“Same with Jay. Abby and Scorpius have been as good a friend to Jay, as Ron and Hermione were to me. By the way, with our boys being good friends, don't you think it's time you called me Harry, and I 'll call you Draco,” smiled Harry.

“Well, it kind of feels unnatural. But we can give it a try. In fact, I look forward to seeing Weasel's face when I come up to you, slap you on the back and say 'G'Day, Harry!'” laughed Draco, dryly. Harry chuckled..

“You're not the only one who uses glamours, you know. I haven't told Scorpius about this,” Draco said, pushing his sleeve back and showing Harry a bare arm. Harry knew that under the glamour, the Dark Mark was still there.

“Take my advice, Draco. Tell your son everything, before he finds out the truth from elsewhere,” aid Harry sombrely. Draco nodded.

Scorpius and Jay came downstairs and asked if Jay could stay for lunch, and floo home later. Both men agreed, but Harry declined Draco's invitation to also stay. He saw the look of relief in his son's eyes, and he knew he had made the right decision.

Once he returned to his empty apartment, he took a chance and fire called Ginny, but there was no answer. He hoped things were going better for Ginny with Abby, than he was with Jay.

Unfortunately, they weren't. Abby had returned to their home in Godric's Hollow accompanied by Arthur. Once he had left, Abby had retreated to her bedroom, only coming out to ask if she could go spend a couple of days with Grandma Wood, Oliver's mum.

Ginny had tried to talk with Abby, but seeing Abby close to tears again made her stop. Reluctantly she agreed to the visit, and after apparating with her to her grandmother's, Ginny returned to the solace of the Burrow, seeking comfort from her family. She longed for Harry, for any news from him, but felt it best to give him some space.

When Harry asked Jay if he was returning to school as James Potter, he told Harry he didn't know who that was. For now, he'd continue on as James Evans.

When Ginny told Abby that she'd be away for work quite a bit the next few weeks, Abby asked her if she was running off with Harry. She scoffed when Ginny told her she hadn't seen Harry since the day he had told Jamie who he was. She told Ginny Grandma Wood had said they were probably waiting for Jamie and her to return to school till they could be together. Ginny tried to tell her it wasn't true, but Abby refused to listen.

Despite efforts from both Harry and Ginny to talk matters through with their respective children, soon it was time to return to Hogwarts, without any of the issues resolved. They were taking the Hogwarts Express, and Harry knew Jay and Scorpius had agreed to meet on the platform. He was surprised to see Ron escort Abby.

“Where's Ginny?” he asked Ron urgently. “Is she okay?”

“She's fine. Things have been a bit tense between her and Abby, and she didn't want to cause any problems with you and Jay. How are things, anyway?” asked Ron.

Harry shrugged. “Pretty much the same as they were the other day at the Burrow. Jay won't talk about it, hasn't asked me anything. I didn't want to push, and now he's going back to Hogwarts, as James Evans,” said Harry.

“Harry, good to see you again. I enjoyed our get together the other day, hope we can do it again, soon,” said Draco, patting Harry on the back. He smiled as he saw a look of incredulity on Ron's face. “Weasel,” he acknowledged with a nod.

Ron's face was red. “What's he playing at? Calling you Harry, it's not natural, is it? What did he mean by your 'get together'?”

“Relax Ron, you know his son Scorpius and Jay are best friends. Jay wanted to go over and see how he was recovering. Draco and I got to talking, that's all,” laughed Harry.

He noticed his son talking with Draco and Scorpius. It was nearly time to board. “Excuse me Ron, I think I'll go and say goodbye to Jay.”

He left Ron, who was muttering under his breath. Harry caught the word 'ferret', and smiled. Some things never changed. He helped Jay load his bag on the train, and turned him around to talk to him.

“Have you seen Abby?” asked Harry.

“Don't you really mean, have I seen Abby's Mum? I saw Abby when she first got here. I think she's already boarded. I've got to go, Dad,” said Jay, trying to turn away. Harry held firm.

“Jay, I've given you space, I've given you time to think about things. Please son, please don't keep this bottled up. If you need to talk to me, owl me and I'll be there as soon as I can. The Headmistress knows about this, if you want to talk to someone, anyone else, you can go to her. You could call any of the Weasleys, or Hermione. Please son, don't shut me out. I'll answer any questions you have, I promise,” said Harry, hugging his son.

Jay nodded without looking at Harry, and walked away. Harry watched him go, sadly. He saw Jay slow as he neared the train, then completely stop. He turned to look at Harry, then came back.

“Did you love her? Abby's Mum? Back then?” he asked.

Harry didn't hesitate, he had promised to answer any questions Jay had. “Yes,” he said simply.

Jay thought for a minute, then asked again, “Are you still in love with her?”

Again a simple answer. “Yes.”

Jay nodded. “Bye, Dad,” he said.

He turned and got on the train, without looking back. He found Scorpius in a compartment so he went in and joined him. He felt the train take off, and through the window caught a last glance at his Dad's sad face.

“Where's Abby?” he asked Scorpius, who shrugged.

“Think she's sitting with her cousins. You know, Tori and Fred. I think Ted Lupin's in there, too. How are things with your Dad?”

Jay shrugged. “I wanted to talk to Abby about some stuff. I didn't really talk to my Dad. I guess I just don't know what to say, you know?”

Scorpius nodded. “Yeah, I guess. My Dad doesn't like to talk about the past either, especially my Grandfather. I know he was a Death Eater and he did some really bad stuff. I think he even did something to Abby's Mum when she was really young. It upsets my Dad when I ask him about it, though. He gets all quiet and sad, then it takes Mum a long time to get him happy again,” said Scorpius.

“Your Mum is really nice. I saw my Mum while I was home, but I didn't tell her anything about my Dad. I don't know why, but it just didn't feel right for me to tell her. It made me wonder if that's how my Dad felt, all those years. Like he wanted to tell her, but didn't feel right. How can she understand, being a Muggle? Look, I've gone over this a thousand times in my mind, do you mind if we don't talk about it anymore. I think I'm going to take a nap. Will you wake me if you see Abby?” asked Jay.

“Sure, if I'm not asleep too,” grinned Scorpius. They settled in their bunk, and the smooth motion of the train soon lulled them to sleep. They were surprised when they woke, to find that they were at Hogsmeade already. They climbed into a cart, and made their way to the school.

They greeted their school mates as they made their way to Gryffindor Tower. Jay was keeping a look out for Abby. If any one could understand what he was going through, it was her. He wanted to talk to her as soon as he could. However, even in the common room, she was nowhere to be seen.

He finally saw her in the Great Hall that night. She was sitting with her cousins, and didn't spare him or Scorpius a glance. She hurried off after the Feast, and went to the girls dormitory. When he asked her cousin's to let her know he wanted to speak with her, they brushed him off.

He went to bed that night, angry and confused. He vowed he'd talk to Abby tomorrow. She couldn't avoid him, they had the same classes.

She did, however, try her best to avoid him. She sat as far away from him as she could, and even chose to be partners with Kieran Finnegan, and everyone knew he was the worst student in their Potions class. Sure enough, their potion exploded and they both received a detention.

Jay decided to corner Abby as she returned from her detention that night. He'd seen Kieran leave, but Abby had stayed behind. Jay went into the Potions room.

“Why are you avoiding me?” demanded Jay, coming straight to the point.

Abby looked up, startled. Her eyes narrowed. “What do you want, Jamie?” she asked.

“You heard me,” he said.

“I'm not avoiding you, I just really don't want to talk to you at the moment, that's all,” she said.

Jay felt hurt. “Why? I wanted to talk to you, because you're probably the only one who knows how I'm feeling. I wanted to know what happened with you and your Mum?”

“Nothing. I'm not really talking to my Mum at the moment,” said Abby.

“Me either, talking to my Dad, that is,” said Jay, helping her pack up her books and return ingredients to the cupboard.

“Why not, I would have thought you would have been all over him. I mean, your Dad is Harry Potter! That's pretty amazing. You know, I bet he only told us about a quarter of what really happened to him in his life. I'm sure if you asked, he'd tell you everything,” said Abby, curiously.

“I really don't give a shit about my Dad being Harry Potter, don't you get it? It's about me being his son, I don't know what my place is right now, I don't even know who I am. Am I James Potter, because I don't feel like him. I don't even feel like James Evans any more. I'm lost Abs, I thought you'd understand,” said Jay, sliding down a potions bench to sit on the floor, looking lost.

Abby sat down beside him.”I do understand how you feel, kind of. It's like everything I've known as normal is wrong, and I don't know where I belong in this new place. I-I know my Mum was hurting, and I was glad. I wanted her to hurt, likeI was hurting, but I don't know why. I feel like my Mum and Dad's marriage shouldn't have happened, but then what does that make me? I know we were happy, as a family, I mean. Was it all a lie?” she asked Jay, rhetorically.

“See, I knew you would understand. That's exactly how I feel. You want to know what else?” he asked.

Abby nodded. Jay hesitated.

“I'm a coward. I shouldn't be in Gryffindor. I wanted to ask my Dad all sorts of things, but I didn't want to hear the answers. He-he told me that he loved her back then. Your Mum, I mean. He even told me he still loves her, not that I didn't already know that. I feel like she'll hate me because I kept him from returning to her. Or that he'll rather be with her, than be my Dad. They've got a lot of time to make up,” sighed Jay.

Abby put her head on his shoulder. “I know, I'm scared of what my Mum will tell me too. And for the record, I don't care what your name is. You're Jamie, my best friend. Anything else can go to buggery, as far as I'm concerned.”

She took his hand and squeezed it.

He gave her a sad little laugh, but he squeezed her hand back. They sat there in silence, finding comfort in each other.

********

Two weeks later, Harry let himself into his apartment, extremely tired. Since he'd given his notice at work, he was busy finalising some of his cases, while preparing to hand over the rest to various members in his department. He had reports to write, and court appearances to prepare for, before he put this life behind him. He set his case down, not looking forward to a long night of going through more reports.

He glanced at the Daily Prophet. He was now getting it delivered to his apartment. He saw his own youthful face on the front cover and groaned. The Daily Prophet had taken to dredging up everything of his past, as they eagerly awaited his proposed press conference. Every day was a new theory about what he would announce, what his future plans may be. Today was a picture of him and Ginny, taken at one of the many funerals he had attended after the Battle. Harry sighed. He was still contemplating Professor McGonogall’s job offer, but frustration with Jay and lack of word from Ginny made him unable to make any plans. However, he had decided to return to the wizarding world, but in what capacity, he knew not.

“Harry.”

Harry whipped around. Ginny was sitting at his table, a cup in her hand. She looked tired, as though she hadn't had much sleep. She'd lost weight, too. Even her hair didn't look as vibrant as it usually did.

“You look like shit,” she said.

He smiled wryly. Trust Ginny to say to him what he was thinking.

“I miss you,” she said softly. His heart leaped, then fell at her next words.

“I'm going away for the next month or so. For work. It was planned before you came back, it's the European play off for the World Cup. It's going to be a busy month, so I thought I'd stay there, rather than port key back for a day here and there. I leave tomorrow. I wanted to tell you, though, in case...”

Her voice trailed of as they both thought what 'in case' could mean.

“I've written to Abby, asking her to get in touch with Mum and Dad, or Ron, if she needs me,” said Ginny, getting up from the table.

Harry walked toward her slowly.

“I'll come back if she needs me, or wants to talk. I'll be back by the end of term.”

Harry came closer.

“I wanted to tell you myself. I didn't want to leave you a letter,” she said.

Harry took the cup out of hands and put it on the table next to her. Turning back to her, he held her face between his palms. Brown eyes clashed with green, each could see the longing and the uncertainty in the other's eyes.

“We have tonight,” he whispered, then leaned in and kissed her. He lifted her up, and she wrapped her legs around his waist. He carried her down the hall, still kissing her.

There was no time for niceties. They both sensed the urgency. As he pressed her against the wall, his face buried in her neck, she shrugged out of her jacket. He brought his head away long enough for her to throw off her shirt. He unclasped her bra, then stumbled them both into his bedroom. He lay her on the bed, ripping his clothes off as he watched her kick off her shoes and pull her jeans and knickers off.

Their lovemaking was born of desperation. Desperate to be with the one they loved. Desperate, as they didn't know when, or if, this would happen again. Desperate to be as close to the other as they could.

“Ginny, open your eyes, love. Look at me,” begged Harry, moving between her thighs.

Ginny shook her head, her eyes closed, even as she moved with him, thrusting with him.

Harry groaned at her movements, loving the feel of their bodies intertwined. He took her hand from around his neck and lay it on the pillow next to her head. His lips nuzzled her chest and her neck, before coming to her lips.

“Show me, Ginny. See me, love. Please,” he said.

“I can't,” she whispered, moving quicker. “I can't look into your eyes and see regret in them. I can't look at you, wondering if this is all we will have.”

“Ginny, love, please,” Harry begged, knowing he was close to release.

Reluctantly, Ginny opened her tear filled eyes. Harry's face loomed over hers. Their thrusts were getting frantic, each getting closer to the edge.

“Look at me, “ he demanded.

Harry licked away a tear that ran down her cheek. He kissed her, and looked deep into her eyes.
Their eyes locked as he took them over the edge.

*******

Harry awoke the next morning, feeling sated. After their desperate love making, Harry had held Ginny as she cried, fifteen years of pent up tears. He kissed her tears away, leading them to make slow, gentle love. They slept for a bit, Harry wakening to find himself spooning Ginny, his arousal pressing into her from behind. As he caressed her hip, she started to move against him, and it wasn't long before they were making love again.

Harry smiled at the memory, before he realised Ginny wasn't in bed with him. Her place next to him was cold, so he knew she'd been gone awhile. He looked at the clock, it was nearly ten o'clock. He raced out of bed, got dressed and tried to floo to Ginny’s, but the floo was shut. Thinking quickly, he apparated.

The house was tidy but dark. Harry knew immediately that Ginny wasn't home. He remembered her saying she was going away for a month and he cursed himself, he didn't even know where she was going.

He saw a piece of paper on her table, and he went to look at it, hoping it may be a note for him, but it wasn't. However, it was her schedule. A quick glance at it, and at the clock, made him realise he knew where he had to be. Pocketing the paper, he left her house and apparated to the Ministry.

He raced through the Ministry, ignoring the gasps of the people around him as they soon realised who he was. He followed the signs, pushing past people, apologising as he ran off. Time was precious, and he didn't have any to waste.

He rounded a corner and sighed in relief. He spotted Ron's tall frame and bright red hair above the crowds. As he got closer, he saw Hermione was with him. They were talking to a blonde haired woman, who was looking in her bag. She shrugged and looked at Ron. Ron hugged her, then she walked away to join a queue.

Harry ran over to Ron and Hermione, puffing. “Ginny...where...need to talk...am I too late?”

Ron chuckled. “Just in time, mate.” He patted Harry on the back.

Hermione hugged him and said “Oh, Harry.” She pulled back, her nose wrinkled. “No offense, Harry, but you stink.”

Harry realised he hadn't showered that morning, so he probably smelt of sweat and sex. He didn't care so he ignored Hermione's comment. “Where?” he demanded Ron.

Ron pointed at the blonde woman Harry had seen them talking to moments before. “She's wearing a glamour, because of the stuff in the paper yesterday,” he explained.

The papers yesterday had brought up the story of Harry leaving Ginny and the wizarding world, and all the conspiracy theories they could come up with.

Harry nodded, and walked towards the woman. She was in the queue for International Departure of Portkeys. There were only a few people ahead of her, waiting to be called. He went over to her, and tapped her on the shoulder.

She turned around and gasped. “Harry, what are you doing here? I'm leaving, any minute now,” she said.

Harry pulled her out of the queue. “I know. I'm not here to stop you. There was just something I needed to tell you,” he said, taking her hands in his and pulling her aside to a corner, unaware that everybody was watching, Ron and Hermione included.

“What? What is it. Is it the children? Have you heard from them? Harry, what-?”

Harry kissed her. Once she got over the surprise, she kissed him back. Neither heard the cheers of everyone in the Departure lounge, who had got more than they bargained for as they waited to leave the country.

They stopped, and leaned their foreheads against each other. Both were breathing heavily.

“I love you. I needed to tell you that. I love you, have always loved you. I will miss you every day, and I will be here when you get back. Somehow, we will be together. I will find a way,” he declared.

“Ginny Wood. Portkey for Ginny Wood,” cried a voice over the loudspeaker.

Harry held her close. Ginny flung her arms around him and held tight. She licked his ear, and whispered, “I love you, too. Whatever happens, I am yours.”

“Ginny Wood. Second call for Ginny Wood, Portkey leaving in thirty seconds,” said the voice, a little bit louder this time.

“I have to go,” she said, reluctantly. Her face was in his neck, and she could his pulse point, pounding hard.

“I know. I mean it, I WILL be here when you get back. I have your schedule right here. I love you,” he said, kissing her hard again.

“I love you. Oh, and you now owe me two sets of underwear, a pink and a blue. I keep leaving them at yours,” she grinned, kissing him back.

“Last call for Ginny Wood, Portkey leaving in ten seconds, nine, eight...”

Harry and Ginny dashed to the departure door, kissing all the way and ignoring the cheers of the people around them. “I love you,” said Ginny as she disappeared through the door. Harry took a breath and turned around.

He made his way back to Hermione and Ron, a stupid grin on his face. He nodded to people who patted him on the back and wished him and 'Blondie' good luck for the future.

Ron and Hermione were smirking at him. “What?” he asked.

“For someone who likes to keep things private, you do a make a habit of public displays, especially where Ginny is concerned,” chuckled Ron as they started to leave.

“Hey, that was a one off,” protested Harry, smiling.

“I don't think so. Gryffindor common room ring any bells, mate. Your sixth year, Ginny's fifth. Gryffindor had just won the House Cup, although you had detention and-”

“Okay, okay! What can I say? Your sister makes me do things I normally wouldn't do,” said Harry, dreamily.

“That, right there. There's that look on your face,” said Ron stopping and pointing.

Harry put his hand to his face and wiped. “What? Is there something on my face?”

He turned to Hermione. “Well, is there?” he asked, still wiping.

Hermione nodded. “Yes. It's a look we haven't seen it on your face in a long time, Harry. Probably not since that monumental event in the common room, and until Dumbledore died.”

“What is it?” asked Harry.

Hermione linked her arms with Harry and Ron. “Happiness,” she said simply.

The trio walked off, Harry smiling broadly.

*******

Next morning, Jay was sitting down to breakfast. He was skimming over his Charms text book as he ate. End of term tests would be taking place soon, and he wanted to do well.

THUD! The Daily Prophet was slammed down on top of his text book and made him spill his cereal. Jay jumped, and looked up to find Abby staring angrily at him. Unshed tears were in her eyes.

“Hey, what's going on? Something in the paper upset you?” he asked.

“Read it!” she demanded.

Jay reluctantly unrolled the paper. Harry Potter had been in the paper everyday since he had been to Hogwarts. Jay had read all the stories, but it only made him more confused about he felt about Harry Potter being his Dad, so he was doing his best to ignore them. With the anniversary of the Final Battle approaching, the press were going crazy for any Harry Potter news

Jay was shocked at what he saw. “Harry Potter confesses love for unknown Blonde at Ministry,” read Jay.

He looked at the picture and saw his Dad passionately kiss a blonde woman he had never seen before. The couple in the photo ran to a door and the woman went through it. Harry turned around with a weird look on his face. The picture then started up again, going through the motions all over again.

Jay didn't read the story, just glimpsed at it. He looked at Abby, his face showed confusion, as did hers.

“I thought you said he told you he loves my Mum. How could he do this to her?” she cried, slapping a hand on the paper.

“He did tell me that. I don't know what's going on, anyway, I thought you didn't want them together,” he said, confused.

“I never said that. I don't know what I want. You need to do something,” she yelled.

“Like what? Why are you yelling at me?” he yelled again.

“He's your Dad, isn't he?” yelled Abby, then put a hand over her mouth as she realised what she had said.

“I'm sorry,” she whispered, before running off.

Jay looked around the table. Everyone was looking at him. There were quite a few people nearby when Abby had made her announcement, and they were reading the paper too. Word had quickly spread. Jay could hear, “Harry Potter's son,” being whispered from table to table.

Without finishing his breakfast, he grabbed his bag and ran out. He didn't know where he was running to, but he knew he had to get out of the castle.

He realised he had appreciated his Dad giving him time to adjust to the news. Now that the cat was out of the bag, his time had just run out. Whether he liked it or not, the world was about to find out that Harry Potter had a son.


















Back to index


Chapter 21: Chapter 21 April 30-May 2

Author's Notes: Again, I struggled with the beginning of this chapter, trying to do Luna justice, she's the one character I find hard to write. I was happy with the ending though, it practically wrote itself.


Chap 21 April 30-May 2

Word soon got around Hogwarts about Jay. He tried to ignore the looks he was getting, ducking his head and keeping his mind on his studies. No one actually came and asked him if it were true, if he really was Harry Potter's son.

He was surprised he hadn't heard from his dad, although judging by the photos in the paper, he was keeping busy. Since the photos of Harry Potter with the mysterious blonde, there'd been photos of Harry with Hermione Granger and someone called Luna Scamander.

Jay was surprised at his dad, as Henry, hadn't dated at all since the divorce, well, that he knew of. Yet here was his dad, as Harry Potter, juggling four women! It didn't sound like his dad at all. It made Jay wonder if he really knew his dad at all.

Jay actually felt sorry for Ginny, Abby's mum. He really liked her, and had thought his dad, as Harry AND Henry, had really liked her too. The papers were saying that Harry and Hermione had been a couple since the Tri-Wizard tournament in Harry's fourth year. He found that strange, as when he had met Hermione at the Burrow, she seemed a bit uptight, not the type he thought his dad would go for.

As for the mysterious blonde and this Luna woman, well, Jay didn't know what to think. He hadn't owled his dad to ask. Along with the stories of 'Harry's harem', as the papers were calling them, the anniversary of the Final Battle was only a couple of days away. Jay knew there was a Memorial service planned at the Ministry of Magic and at Hogwarts, but Harry hadn't told him if he would be attending either one.

Jay had spent a lot of time in the Hogwarts library. He had found a back log of newspapers, dated from even before his dad came to school. He spent a few hours over the next two days, reading about his dad, things that confused him. He longed to discuss what he had found with someone.

Abby still wasn't talking to him. Scorpius was running back and forth between them, delivering messages. Every time a new photo of Harry and a woman appeared, she'd glower at him. Yet they were partners in several classes, and they still needed to communicate.

Jay had been studying out on the grounds. The weather was turning pleasant, and he could see Hagrid preparing the stage for the Memorial service. Jay looked up as he saw Scorpius approach him.

“Hey, what's up?” he asked Scorpius.

“Abby wanted to me to tell you that the Weasleys are coming to the service tomorrow. That's all,” said Scorpius, turning to leave.

“Wait, all the Weasleys? Does that include Abby's mum? Scor, wait! What about-”

“What about you ask Abby yourself. I'm getting sick of this,” said Scorpius.

“Hey, I didn't start this, you know. You tell her-”

“I'm not an owl! Tell her yourself. Merlin, you already sound like brother and sister, blaming each other. You're both my friends, don't drag me into this,” said Scorpius, turning and leaving for good this time.

Jay watched him go, then turned as he saw a couple walking near the lake. Surprised, he realised it was Abby with Kieran Finnegan. They were talking a lot, having fun. Jay felt his stomach clench. He missed talking to Abby. She'd been his first real friend ever.

Jay shoved his books in his bag and decided to go for a wander and clear his head. He found himself walking, deep in thought. Before he knew it, he realised he was in the Forbidden Forest.

He knew he wasn't supposed to be in there, so he turned to go. An eerie wail made him stop and turn back, and he decided to just go over the hill and see if he could find the source of the noise.

He saw a girl, maybe a woman, with her back to him. She had long, dirty blonde hair that fell down her back. She wasn't very tall. Jay was confused at what she was doing. She was reaching up and moving her hand up and down, as if she was patting something, yet there was nothing there. He wanted to go and talk to her, but there was a sense of peace in the air, and he didn't want to disturb it. He lowered his bag to the ground and took a step forward.

“Hello, James Potter,” she said, still with her back to him.

“H-Hello. I'm sorry, I don't know who you are,” said Jay.

“That's all right. I'm a friend of your Dad's. In fact, I met him here one day. He came here looking to get away from everything, too.”

“He did?” asked Jay.

“Yes,” said the woman, moving to a different spot and crouching down. “The Ministry didn't want people to know that Voldemort was back, so they started printing lies about Harry. He felt quite alone, so he came out here, and that's when we talked. Is that how you feel, James, alone?”

“Yeah, yeah that's it exactly. I don't have many close friends, just two actually, and one of them isn't talking to me. I miss her. She really understood me, and what I'm going through, you know?”

“You're lucky to have a friend like that. I didn't have many friends until my fourth year. Friends are so nice to have, don't you think,” said the woman, pulling out some raw meat from her huge bag.

She handed it to Jay, pointed to where he should throw it and he did. He stared in amazement, one minute it was on the ground, the next, nothing. The woman sighed, happily.

“You're troubled, just like Harry. Luckily, you've come to the right place. There are no wrackspurts here, they don't like the forest. So you should be able to clear your head,” said the woman, moving back up the hill slightly.

“Wrackspurts?” asked Jay, confused. The woman nodded.

“They fly in your ear and make your brain go fuzzy. Is there anything particular bothering you. Maybe I can help. I like to help my friends.

It's just that I spent my whole life thinking my Dad was Henry Evans, now I learn he's Harry Potter,” said Jay, as if that explained everything.

“A rose, by any other name, will still smell as sweet,” said the woman, reaching into her bag, pulled out some more meat and threw it to a different area. Again, one minute it was there, then it wasn't.

“Your dad is still the same, whether his name is Henry or Harry, isn't he?” she asked him in her sing song voice.

“I don't know. My parents got divorced a long time ago, and I've never seen my Dad with another woman. My Dad seemed to really like this woman, a witch, yet the last couple of days there's been photos of him with three other women,” said Jay.

The woman laughed, a nice twinkling sound. “Harry would laugh if he knew that is what you are worried about,” she said.

She pulled out some more meat and threw it. Again, it quickly disappeared.

“Why?' asked Jay, puzzled.

“Let's just say Harry isn't known for his way with women, despite his devil may care looks.”

“People can change,” protested Jay, sticking up for his dad.

“Not Harry. Not when it comes to his heart. It's funny, isn't it. Harry has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever known. He takes all the people he cares about into his heart. Yet he only gave his heart away once. Luckily for him, he got it right the very first time,” she said, smiling.

“What do you mean?” asked Jay, confused.

“Harry and Ginny,” she said simply. “With all that Harry was going through in his sixth year, the only thing that made him happy was Ginny. If you could have seen them together then, you'd understand.”

“I think I've got a bit of an idea,” Jay said, remembering them kissing after Harry's talk at Hogwarts.

“Harry broke up with her after Dumbledore died, but you could see it wasn't because he didn't care. When the war was over, the only one that could help him, the only one he turned to, was Ginny.”

“Yet he left her. He left all this behind,” argued James.

“And now he's back, thanks to you,” she said.

“If he had stayed, I wouldn't have been born. If I wasn't a wizard, he wouldn't have come back. If-”

“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas,” the woman sang..

“Er, what?” asked James.

“I thinks if and but are the saddest words ever. Now that I know you, I can't imagine a world where you hadn't been born, can you?”

“Er, no, but-” Jay was getting confused, yet everything the woman was saying made sense, in a weird way.

“James, you and Harry are here now. I'm so happy for you. For you and Harry. For Harry and Ginny. For Harry, Ginny, Abby and you.”

The woman reached up and again, patted nothing.

“Um, what are you doing?” asked James.

It's a Thestral, a family actually. They pull the school carriages from Hogsmeade. In Harry's fifth year, six of us flew on them to England to rescue Sirius Black. I' like to visit them when I'm in Scotland.”

“Why can't I see them?” he asked.

“They can only be seen by those who have seen death,” explained the woman.

“So, my Dad can see them? Ginny, too?” asked Jay.

The woman nodded.

“Who are you?” asked James.

She turned to face him, and he realised he'd seen her face before. “You're her. One of the women in the paper.”

“My name is Luna. Luna Scamander.”

“You know my Dad. Are you, um a friend of my Dad's?” asked Jay.

Luna nodded.

“I mean, are you a friend friend or a girlfriend friend?” asked Jay, embarrassed.

“I am Harry and Ginny's friend, and now I'm your friend, I hope. I like making new friends, don't you?

Jay nodded.

“Auntie Luna, is that you?”

Luna and Jay turned as they heard Abby's voice.

“Hello Abby,” said Luna. “I was just talking to our friend, James.”

Abby walked closer. “I was looking for you, Jamie. It's time for tea,” she said.

“Talking to me now, are you?” asked Jay.

Abby looked ashamed. “I'm sorry Jamie, I just felt so confused. Seeing all those women with your Dad, well, I was angry for my Mum. Oh, not with you Auntie Luna,” said Abby. She gave Luna a hug.

“Its all right, I'm quite flattered, as I'm sure Hermione is. But anyone who knows Harry knows there is only one for him.”

“Is it my Mum?” asked Abby, coming to stand next to Luna.

Luna put an arm around Abby and James, as they made their way out of the forest. “Of course. They have a Forever Love. Trust in that, and everything else will be fine,” she said.

They walked out together. “Goodbye James, Abby. I hope I will see you soon. I must get home. Remember, no matter what, trust in Harry and Ginny.”

They watched Luna make her way over to talk to Hagrid. Abby and Jay looked at each other and smiled.

“What just happened?” asked Jay, laughing. Luna turned to them and waved, and they waved back.

“My Mum calls it Luna logic. She said if she has a problem, just five minutes with Luna and the problem is gone. Mum said she's one of the smartest witches she knows, and that's saying a lot, seeing as how we know Aunt 'Mione.”

Jay shrugged his bag onto his shoulder, and took Abby's hand. “Come on, didn't you say it was time for tea?”

They walked up to the castle, but before they entered Abby stopped him. “What are you going to do about your Dad?” she asked.

Jay stopped and thought. “You know, I've met a lot of people since I learnt I was a wizard. Everyone that I've met that knows my Dad really well, you know, Professor McGonagall, the Weasleys, Luna, they all tell me the same thing. My Dad loved your Mum all those years ago.”

“Yes,” agreed Abby.

“You know, I've been doing a lot of reading about my Dad, lately. Did you know in the library, they have a back listing of the Daily Prophet. I went back to the years my Dad was here in school. The things they said about him, they're horrible. If I didn't know him as my Dad, I wouldn't know what to think about Harry Potter.”

They continued to walk in the entrance and was about to go into the Great Hall for tea. Again, Abby stopped him.

“So...?” Abby asked.

“So, I think it's about time I listened to the one person who can tell me everything, the one person who knows the whole truth. My Dad.”

Abby hugged him. “That's a good idea, Jamie. Your Dad did promise to tell you anything.”

Jay nodded. “I know, and I want to know everything. He's already told me the most important thing, though.”

“What's that?” asked Abby.

“He still loves your Mum, and I'm pretty sure she still loves him. They should be together, don't you think? After all these years, after reading about what he went through, he deserves to be happy. Everyone who survived the war should be happy. I don't want to be the reason my Dad isn't happy.”

Abby hugged him again, as Scorpius joined them.

“Thank Merlin,” he sighed in relief. “My two best friends are talking again. Now, can we go and get something to eat, I'm starved!” he said, flinging an arm around the pair.

Laughing, they all went into the Great Hall. Jay felt better than he had since Easter.

His good mood didn't last long. The next day was the Memorial service for the Battle of Hogwarts. It wasn't compulsory for the students to attend, but James's curiosity to now learn everything he could about his dad made him want to attend. Abby and Scorpius accompanied him as they walked around the grounds, before the speeches began.

Everywhere he looked, he saw curious eyes on him and his friends. He heard murmurings from students to their parents- 'that's him, he says he's Harry Potter's son,' and he wondered if he'd made the wrong choice to attend. The service was open to the public, as well as parents, so there were a lot of people there that Jay didn't know.

The three made a dash for seats at the back as the speeches began. Hagrid was standing behind him, and he patted Jay's shoulder as he first heard his dad's name mentioned. He looked around in the hope that he would see his dad, or even any of the Weasleys, but there was no sign of any of them.

Someone from the Ministry was making a speech, and he was going on and on. Jay was getting sleepy in the warm morning sun. Abby nudged Jay as his head drifted to her shoulder, and he jerked upright. He saw a large man get up on the stage and gather his notes.

“Kingsley Shacklebolt, Minister for Magic. He knows your dad, he was in the Order of the Phoenix and he fought at the Battle. He should be a bit more interesting,” she whispered to him.

Jay sat upright and listened to Kingsley. He spoke of the war, about the Ministry being over taken, how hard it was to know who to trust. He spoke about a boy, barely a man, who had the whole wizarding world's expectations on him. A boy who had been through so much already in his young life. A young man who made the ultimate sacrifice, for all of them.

For the first time, the impact of the war seemed to penetrate Jay's mind. As Kingsley read out the list of names of Voldemort's victims, and he heard the names James Potter, Lily Potter, Frank and Alice Longbottom, Remus and Nymphadora Lupin, Fred Weasley, it suddenly became personal for him.

This Voldemort person had destroyed lives, destroyed families. He had taken James's own grandparents away from their son. Abby had lost an uncle, and James knew how close the Weasley family were, even in the short time he had been around them. Teddy Lupin, a boy James had come to admire, had lost his parents.

Jay felt ill, and he wanted to get away from all this, go somewhere to think, to process, to grieve. Grieve for his dad, he realised. No man should have had to go through what he did. Jay could now comprehend a bit of why his dad felt he had to get away. Luckily for him, the speeches were over, and he quickly jumped up and stumbled away.

He felt the eyes of the people on him. He heard the mutterings as he quickly walked past them, Scorpius and Abby on either side of him, supporting him.

“-says he's Harry Potter's son.”

“- where's he been all these years.”

“- heard he had a breakdown.”

“-all those women, really quite scandalous!”

Jay put his head down, his cheeks red. He heard people talking about Scorpius and Abby, too.

“- son of a Death Eater, you know.”

“-just like his father and grandfather.”

“- left Ginny Weasley after the Battle.”

“-didn't he run off with the Granger girl?”

“-she loved him and he broke her heart.”

“-had a breakdown when he left, she did.”

Jay heard Abby sniff, and realised she was crying. They had nearly made it back to the castle and he hurried past the podium.

“-why isn't Potter here today? Too good for the likes of us now, is he?”

“SHUT UP!” yelled James.

Everyone stopped talking amongst themselves and looked at James. His fists were clenched tight. Scorpius had his arm around Abby.

James looked around at them. He ran up on the stage. “You're all hypocrites. You sat there, listening to the Minister for Magic tell you what Harry Potter, MY DAD, had to do. He DIED! For you. He lost his parents, no one believed him about Voldemort, and you let him go out there and do what he had to do. He was still just a kid, but he did it, he came back, he let himself die, so we can all live a normal life. But it wasn't enough, you wouldn't leave him alone, wouldn't let him recover. He HAD to leave, don't you see? He left behind his friends, the family that had taken him in, his godson. Thanks to a couple of stray Death Eaters, he left behind the girl he loved.”

Jay took a breath. The audience was riveted, all eyes were on him. “He came back, because I discovered I was a wizard. Now, all of you want to know where he's been, what's he's been doing, you even want to know about his girlfriend. You don't have the right to know any of that. He owes you NOTHING! Just leave him alone. Leave my Dad alone, please!” Jay begged, his voice breaking.

Abby ran on the stage, and hugged him, still crying. Scorpius came up and stood next to him, his arms around the both of them, sending glares at the audience.

The crowd stood up and started yelling out questions.

“-where have you been?”

“-who's your Mother, James?”

“-who's Harry's girlfriend, James?”

“GET AWAY FROM HIM RIGHT NOW!” yelled an angry voice.

All eyes turned as nine men came striding angrily down the stairs of the castle, and made their way to the stage. They all climbed on to it, and surrounded the children.

“Grandpa, I'm so glad you're here,” cried Abby, throwing herself into Arthur's arms.

“Dad!” cried Scorpius, hugging Draco. “I didn't think you were coming?”

“I wasn't, until Longbottom sent his Patronus to all of us,” said Draco, acknowledging Neville, and all the Weasley men.

“You all right, mate?” asked Ron to Jay, pulling him in for a hug. Jay nodded, but kept his head down. He feared he was going to cry, and didn't want to break down in front of everyone.

“What the bloody hell do you think you are doing, hassling these kids? They're eleven! I don't care who's kids they are, you have no right to harass them,” yelled Ron, into the microphone.

A voice called out, “He says he's Harry Potter's son. We have questions for him. We need to know-”

“No, you bloody don't NEED to know anything. You leave these kids alone, you hear me. If you want to talk to these kids, you'll have to go through us,” said Ron, indicating Arthur, Bill, Charlie, George, Percy, Neville and Draco, who moved to stand in a line on the stage, in front of the children. Hagrid moved to stand in front of the stage, glaring at various people.

Jay pushed through, and took the microphone. “My name is James Potter, and my Dad is Harry Potter. That's all you need to know. Leave me and my family alone,” he said, waving his hand back to indicate the men standing behind him.

He dropped the microphone and took a step back. He felt Ron place a hand on his shoulder, and Abby took his hand and squeezed. Jay knew he was close to losing it.

A hand clapped. Once twice, three times. Jay looked over and saw Hagrid clapping, coming toward him. More people joined in. Soon, the applause was loud, as everyone clapped. Jay felt like he was going to break down any second.

“James!” called a voice.

All eyes turned as an angry but concerned Harry Potter made his way down the stairs of the castle, followed by Hermione Granger. Harry raced over the grounds. Everyone on the stage made their way off, making a path for Harry to greet his son.

“James,” said Harry, urgently, throwing his arms around his son.

“Dad, you came?” said Jay, in relief. He burrowed into Harry, feeling loved and secure.

“Of course I came. When I got Neville's Patronus, I got here as soon as I could. I'm sorry it wasn't sooner. I'm sorry you had to go through that,” said Harry tearfully, hugging his son tighter.

“It's okay, Dad, my family were here with me,” said Jay.

Over Jay's head, Harry lifted his head to look at the Weasley men, Neville, Hagrid and Draco. With tears in his eyes, he mouthed the words 'thank you' to each of them.

Harry spotted Abby, still being held by Arthur. “Abby?” he called tentatively.

She lifted her head, and he opened his arms to her. She ran into them, and started to cry, which made Jay start to cry. She felt Harry's arm encircle her and Jamie, and she felt safe. It was going to be okay.

“Let's go inside,” suggested Harry quietly. With his arms around both children, he led them into the castle.

As he left the grounds he heard Hermione take the microphone. “Hello everybody, my name is Hermione Granger, I'm a lawyer for the Magical Law Enforcement Department and today I want to bring your attention to the Privacy act and, in particular, the dealings with a minor...”

Harry smiled, he trusted Hermione would protect him and his family. He made his way into the Great Hall, where he found a flustered Headmistress McGonagall. Suddenly, he realised how old she looked.

“Potter, I'm so sorry. I didn't think things would get out of hand. I thought, with the Minister there, everything would be in control,” she said.

“Minerva, it's fine. You couldn't help it. This was probably going to happen some time or another. I would have liked to have been here from the start, but my family stepped in when I wasn't.”

“Always got your back, mate,” said Ron, grinning. Neville and George nodded. Percy, Bill and Charlie smiled.

Draco stepped forward. “Thanks Longbottom, I appreciate the Patronus. I'm glad I was able to get here in time. Weasley?”

“Yes?” said Arthur, Bill, George, Percy, Charlie and Ron.

Harry, Neville and Jay chuckled. Even Draco had a wry smile on his face.

“Well, I meant Ron, but really, all of you, thank you for including my son out there. It means a lot, to him, to me and Astoria.”

“We look after our own, Malfoy. If Scorpius is Jay's friend, that's good enough for me,” said Ron, extending a hand to Malfoy, who hesitantly shook it.

“You were expecting to get zapped or something, weren't you?' asked George, smirking. Draco nodded and they all laughed.

“This could be the start of a beautiful friendship,” said Harry, softly, quoting one of Jess's favourite movies.

Jay giggled, but the rest of the crowd didn't get the joke. Harry and Jay shared a quick grin.

“Oh my darlings, is everything all right?” asked Molly, bustling in. She was followed by Fleur, Angelina and Mel, who hugged their husbands.

Molly somehow managed to smother Harry, Jay and Abby in a big hug. They all started to giggle.

“Molly, we're fine,” assured Harry. He noticed Abby and Jay were leaning against him, so again, he put his arm around them, gathering them close.

“I've asked the house elves for some hot chocolate, it should be here soon. I hope that was all right, Minerva?” asked Molly.

Headmistress McGonagall nodded. “Of course, Molly.”

Molly turned back to Harry, Jay and Abby. “I've spoken to Ginny, she's been frantically trying to get home, but she can't. There are no Portkeys available for the next twenty four hours, she even tried to get on a Muggle airy plane, but had no luck there. I'm sorry sweetheart,” she said to Abby.

Abby cuddled closer to Harry. “It's all right Nana. I'll be fine. Now that it's over, I feel fine, especially with you all here. Thank you,” she said, looking up at her uncles, grandparents and Professor.

“Perhaps we can arrange a fire call for this evening. Molly, Arthur, can you set that up at Ginevra's end?” she asked.

They nodded and left to talk to Minerva.

The house elves appeared with Hot Chocolate, which the children drank slowly.

“I don't know about you lot, but I think I want something a bit stronger than that. What do you say to going to the Three Broomsticks later?” asked Ron, looking around.

His brothers agreed, congratulating him on having a good idea. “It's been known to happen,” he grinned.

Mel and the other wives decided it was time to leave Hogwarts to their men, as they had to go and get their children from Audrey, who had stayed behind at the Burrow. It was quickly decided that they would all return to the Burrow for tea.

“You in, mate?” asked Ron to Harry.

Harry shook his head. “Thanks mate, but I think I'll hang around here most of the day. If Ginny calls to talk to Abby, I, well, I'd like to try and talk to her, too,” he said.

Ron nodded, then looked up as Teddy came over. “You should see Aunt 'Mione out there, she's awesome. She's ripping them a new one, she's-oh hi Nana,” gulped Teddy as Molly returned.

“I don't understand, Teddy? Ripping who a new what?” asked Molly, looking to everyone for answers.

Everyone laughed as Teddy's hair turned Weasley red. “Er, it's just a saying. Aunt 'Mione is telling the people they have to stay away from you, well, from all of us. She included all your names, even mine. They'll get in big trouble if they hassle us again,” said Teddy, smiling. He sat next to Jay, and Harry extended his arm from around Jay's shoulders to include Teddy, who smiled gratefully at him.

“Good old Hermione,” said Ron.

“Enough of the old, thank you Ronald,” said Hermione, coming in and joining them.“I'm only six months older than you, you know. How's everything in here?” she asked, looking at the three children. “Abby, Scorpius, Jay?”

Abby and Scorpius nodded and smiled. Jay looked up.

“Thanks Miss Hermione, but you can call me James. James Potter.”

Hermione and the Weasleys exchanged smiles. Harry hugged his son. He knew they still had a lot to talk about, but he knew everything was going to be okay.
























Back to index


Chapter 22: Chapter 22 June 20-30

Author's Notes: while I was happy with the way the last chapter ended, I decided to do one more chapter to come full circle with James' mum. Should I have left it at the last chapter, or was it the right thing to add this chapter? I'm happy to hear your thoughts.


Chap 22 June 20-30

James, Abby and Scorpius departed the train with all the other students. The end of the school year had finally come, and they were excited to be home. Seeing his dad, Scorpius waved goodbye to James and Abby, reminding them he'd see them the next week, when the three of them would meet at James's mother's place and stay for a week.

Nothing much changed at Hogwarts after the memorial service. Other students still stared at James, but he kept close to Scorpius and Abby and they all concentrated on their studies. They were all expecting to pass with flying colours when they received their Hogwarts letters for the new school year.

The Daily Prophet printed an apology, which Hermione had insisted on. They also issued a warning about the new privacy laws, and the fact that James and the others were minors, and they were not to be approached. Hermione had discreetly let the editors of the Daily Prophet know she had a lawsuit ready and waiting to be filed on Harry's behalf, for the first person or company to cross the line. The consequences would be harsh, so as to set the example. Her message was understood and relayed through the Daily Prophet. However, they still wrote a lot of stories about Harry and his son.

Abby had convinced Ginny to stay and finish her duties for the WWN, saying she was fine and that there was no reason for her to rush home. Harry had joined the fire call, promising to be there if Abby needed him, or to let Ginny know if she was needed to return home.

Harry had returned the following weekend, with Headmistress McGonagall giving permission for him to have lunch with James in the Room of Requirement. They talked for three hours, in which James asked Harry many questions. Harry promised they would talk more in the holidays.

The children arrived home on a Friday, and the following day, Harry, James, Ron and his son Dan went to a Cannons vs Harpies match. Harry and James supported the Harpies for Ginny's sake, while Ron and Dan were Chudley Cannons fans through and through. The Harpies won easily, much to Ron's disgust. They returned to Ron and Mel's house to find Ginny and Abby waiting for them there, and they all had a nice tea together.

Harry had a couple of days off, which included James's birthday on June twenty-four. They spent the day together with James' mother on a picnic. They explained about Harry's life, and the choices he had made, which inevitably led him to Jess. She seemed to take it really well, and it was a pleasant afternoon, as Harry and James told Jess all about Hogwarts.

That night, Harry and James met Ginny and Abby for a nice dinner out in Muggle London, then they went to the Burrow for supper. Most of the Weasleys were there, except for Charlie, who had returned to Romania, and Percy, who was busy at the Ministry. Molly had made a big cake and they all sang Happy Birthday to him. James felt it was his best birthday ever.

A week after they arrived home from Hogwarts, Harry took Abby and Scorpius to James's mother's house. James had flooed over earlier to get the house ready. Harry had been able to get the floo connected just for the week the children would be there.

Harry and Ginny had managed time together when Ginny returned from Bulgaria, but Harry was working hard to finish all his cases. He had had to stay an extra couple of weeks to tie up some cases. For the first week the children were home, they had agreed to some distance, giving Harry and James time to talk. With the children all away, they were looking forward to some time together, where they could start making some plans for the future.

The children had a fun week living in a Muggle house. His mum had taken the children to the zoo, the movies, the theatre and the Muggle shopping malls. James introduced them to pizza, which they both loved. They hung out at the park, and went roller skating and ice skating. They were having such fun.

It was the day before they were due to go home. The children were hanging around the house, watching movies and eating popcorn. Jess had gone to do the grocery shopping. They were home alone when they heard a noise at the door. Before James could go and see who it was, Jess's boyfriend Barry entered the lounge, sneering when he saw them.

“Oh, you're back from that boarding school of yours, are you? Who have we got here, then?” he asked, indicating Scorpius and Abby.

“These are my friends. What are you doing here? Mum's not here.” said James.

“I've got a key, see. When will your mum get back? I'm starving; she can make me something to eat,” said Barry.

“Make it yourself, better yet, why don't you go to your house and eat there? I'll tell Mum you stopped by,” said James, trying to get him to leave.

“You mind your manners, boy. It won't be long before I'm living here anyway. With you gone most of the year, your Mum gets lonely, needs a bit of male company,” he said in a suggestive way.

James flushed. “Don't talk about my mum like that. Go home. I'll get Mum to ring you when she gets home,” he said.

“Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Do you back chat your teachers at that fancy school of yours? A good clip around the ears will teach you some respect,” he said, looming over James, who was sitting in a chair in the lounge.

“Don't you touch him!” said Scorpius standing up and standing next to James's chair.

“Shut up, kid, this is between me and him,” said Barry, pushing Scorpius out the way.

Upstairs in James's bedroom, Sirius let out a series of hoots. Everyone looked up.

“What the bloody hell was that?” asked Barry.

“It's my owl, in my room,” said James.

“An owl? Who has a bloody owl as a pet?” sneered Barry.

“He's not a pet,” said Scorpius.

Sirius hooted again. Abby got up from the lounge and said “I think I'll just go and check on him. I'll be right back.”

They watched her go. “She's a bit of a looker. Which one of you is going out with her?” asked Barry with a leer.

“We're friends, doofus. We're only eleven, well, twelve,” said James, disgustedly.

“What did you call me?” raged Barry, dragging James out of his chair by his arm. “You don't talk to me like that, get it?”

“Let go of me, you're hurting me,” said James, trying to get free.

“Let him go,” yelled Scorpius, grabbing Barry and trying to pry James loose.

Barry pushed Scorpius, and he fell down, crashing into the coffee table.

“Hey!” yelled James.

Abby came rushing down the stairs, with Sirius flying around. She rushed over to help Scorpius up, and crawled to the fireplace, throwing a handful of floo powder in.

“Mum, Mum, please come and get us at James's. We need help. Hurry!”

Barry pulled Abby away from the fireplace by her arm. “What the bloody hell did you just do? I saw that fireplace light up; what the hell is going on?”

Sirius continued to fly around the room, and he zoomed in close to Barry, who swatted him away. James had helped Scorpius, and now they were trying to get to Abby.

“God, it's like a bloody circus in here, and you're all freaks! Get that bloody owl away from me!”

Barry took a swipe at Sirius again, then headed to the kitchen, muttering about getting a broom. He grabbed it and came back.

“What are you going to do with that?” asked Abby, frightened. He grinned nastily at her.

Sirius hooted and dive-bombed Barry again, Barry took a swipe at Sirius with the broom and connected.

Abby let out a cry and covered her mouth with her hands. James and Scorpius stared in horror as Sirius fell to the floor.

Barry let out a big laugh. “Too easy! Is he dead?” he asked, tapping the broom against his hand. He went to check on the owl.

Suddenly, Ginny came through the floo.

“What's going on? Are you all right?” she asked them.

“Mum, thank Merlin, there's this horrible man-”

“Abs, let's just get out of here, Ginny, can we go?” asked James, desperately.

Ginny nodded. “Go through the floo to the Burrow. Stay there! I'll be right behind you. Go Abby, good girl, Scorpius, you're next, James-”

“Well, what do we have here? Hello, beautiful, where did you come from?” drawled Barry, .

“Who are you?” demanded Ginny, placing herself in front of James. He refused to head into the floo and leave Ginny alone with Barry.

“I'm the man of the house, Red. What's your story? You friends with Jess?” he came closer.

Ginny was trying to push James through the floo. “Go James!” she said desperately.

“Not without you and-”

Ginny grabbed his hand and together they went in the floo. Ginny yelled 'The Burrow,” and they tumbled out, Ginny holding on to James.

Abby flung herself into her mothers arms. “Mum, thank Merlin, I was so scared!”

Ginny straightened. “Who was he? An intruder? A dark wizard?”

James looked determined. “I'm going back. He hurt Sirius, I've got to go and get him, he's hurt, or, or worse.”

Molly cried out, “No James, you can't go. Let us call the boys, Harry and Ron...”

“There's no time, Mum. Stay here, I'm going back. Someone call Hagrid, see if he can get here to look at Sirius. Send a Patronus to Harry and Ron, Mum. Kids, stay here, I'll be back as soon as I can,” said Ginny, disappearing through the floo.

“Mum!” cried Abby. Scorpius put his arm around her and held her close.

James took a second to decide, then he ran through the floo too. He heard Molly and Abby cry out a horrified “James,” before he landed back in his lounge.

When he got there, he saw that his mum had returned and that Barry had grabbed her and was shaking her. Ginny saw James and ran to him. “Here,” she said, gently handling Sirius over to James. “I think he's just knocked out, but I'm not sure. Go back to the Burrow, James, and let Hagrid take care of him. GO!”

The last thing that James saw before he flooed away was Ginny stalking toward Barry, who had just hit his mum.

Again, James stumbled out of the floo. Strong arms grabbed him. “James, thank god! Are you all right?” asked Harry.

James nodded, tears in his eyes. “Yeah, I'm fine, but Sirius is-is-”

Harry laid a hand on James arm. “Come on, son. Hagrid will be here soon, he'll be able to let us know how he is. Come on,” he said, pulling him into the lounge where the others were.

“James, thank goodness. Hagrid should be here any moment,” said Molly.

Abby and Scorpius got up and came over to James, still holding the little owl, which hadn't moved.

“James, where's Ginny? She left her wand here. Is she in the kitchen?” asked Molly, worriedly.

James couldn't believe he'd forgotten about his mum and Ginny. “She stayed behind, to help Mum. Dad, you gotta go and help them! It's Mum's boyfriend, Barry. He did this to Sirius, and he was being really mean,” cried James.

“And creepy!” said Abby. Scorpius nodded.

Harry stared at them in horror. He got up and ran to the floo, James followed. “Stay here, all of you!” he said as he went into the floo.

He went into his former home and stared in shock. The lounge room was in a mess: the television was smashed, a lounge over turned, paintings on the wall hung crooked, or had fallen off the wall.
He heard moaning coming from the kitchen, so he headed there, his wand out.

“Jess!” he cried, going over to her. Bags of groceries lay strewn over the kitchen floor, and she was holding her wrist. Harry could see a bruise forming on her cheek. As Harry touched her arm, she cried out, then he saw relief in her eyes as she realised it was him.

“Henry, I mean, Harry, thank god. I don't know where Jay is, I came home and he and his friends were gone. There's this woman, Barry took her upstairs and-”

BANG! CRASH! Jess whimpered at the noise. “It's all right, Jess, James and his friends are safe. The woman, she's a witch and-”

“Please, take me to Jay, Henry. I need to see him, hold him,” begged Jess.

“Let me go and check on my friend and then-”

No! Don't leave me!” cried Jess, clinging to him. Harry decided it might be quicker if he took Jess through the floo, then came back straight away for Ginny.

“Come on!” he said, helping her to stand up. Where are you hurt?' he asked.

“I think he broke my wrist again,” sobbed Jess.

Harry saw red. “He did this before? Geez, Jess, why didn't you say something? I wouldn't have let James and his friends come over if I knew he was going to be here.”

“I broke up with him, months ago. He came around a while ago, and I told him to leave,” she sobbed.

“Come on, step into the fire. Hold on to me and close your eyes. The Burrow!” cried Harry.

Arthur and James were waiting near the floo as Harry stumbled out. “Mum, are you okay?” cried James, going to her side.

Jess nodded tearfully. Arthur's eyes met Harry's, silently asking the question, 'where is Ginny?'

“I'm going back. Ginny is still with that bastard. Hagrid get here yet?” asked Harry.

Arthur nodded. “Just arrived, with Neville. They're checking the owl out now. Go, son, go get our Ginny,” said Arthur.

Neville came into the kitchen hurriedly. “Harry, I'm coming with you.”

Harry nodded, and hugged his son before returning to the floo. Neville was behind him.

“Blimey!” said Neville, taking in the mess as he came out the floo. Harry ignored him, he was making his way to the stairs. The house was eerily quiet, as Neville followed him up.

A hall table was overturned, and all the bedroom doors were shut. Harry and Neville crept quietly along the hall, wand outstretched.

“Wait!” cried Harry, putting up a hand. “What was that?” he asked.

Both men strode over to a closed door and listened. “It's the main bedroom,” whispered Harry.

Neville looked angry. “Harry, I think it's someone whimpering,” he said.

Harry's face took on a feral look, and without warning Neville, he burst through the unlocked door, ready to hex and curse. Neville followed him quickly, his wand drawn. Their mouths fell open at the sight.

The bedroom, like the other rooms, were a mess. Drawers from the dresser were opened, and the bed covers were all pulled off. The thought of what the bastard may have done to Ginny would have upset Harry, if he hadn't seen it for himself.

Barry, the bastard was on the bed. If Harry didn't know better, he would have thought Barry was doing a yoga position, the way his legs and arms were bent. He'd been tied up like that, with a sock shoved in his mouth. Blood, tears and snot ran down his face. He whimpered when he saw them. Harry and Neville lowered their wands. “What the hell?” asked Neville, quite impressed.

The door to the en suite opened, and Harry and Neville raised their wands. Ginny stepped out, and seeing two wands pointed at her, raised her hands. When she realised who it was, she dropped them.

“About time, Potter.” she smirked.

Harry rushed over to her. “Are you okay? Bloody hell, woman, I was scared out of my mind for you. Are you hurt?” he asked.

“Nah, I'm fine, a bit of a headache where I got kicked, but I'll be fine. How are the kids?” she asked.

“He kicked you in the head? That bloody bastard!”yelled Harry.

Neville was prodding Barry, who kept whimpering. “How did you get him tied up Gin? Molly said you left your wand at the Burrow.”

“Really Professor Longbottom, you've never tied anyone up in bed? You need to try it sometime,” smirked Ginny, as Neville went bright red.

“Ginny!” cried Harry, laughing at Neville's reaction.. She swayed slightly. “Are you sure you're okay?”

“You didn't tell me about the kids Harry, are they okay?” slurred Ginny.

“Gin, you've gone pale. I think you need to sit down, no not on the bed with him. Ginny!” Harry cried as she passed out.

Neville rushed to Ginny's side, helping Harry, “We need to get her back to the Burrow, let Molly have a look at her. We can call Madame Pomfrey if we have to. I don't think you want the attention of St Mungo's, unless it's absolutely necessary, do you? Harry? Harry!”

Harry had gathered Ginny up in his arms, and raced out the room. Neville cast an itching curse on Barry the bastard, and left to follow Harry. By the time Neville got downstairs, Harry was already at the Burrow.

Molly and Jess let out a cry as Harry came into the lounge with Ginny. He placed her gently on the lounge, stroking her hair. “Come on baby, open your eyes. Come on Gin, please!” he begged.

“Mum?” cried Abby, coming to stand next to Harry.

“Harry, Abby, please move out the way, let Molly through son, she'll fix Gin up,” said Arthur gently.

Harry put his arm around Abby and moved them out of the way. Jess had her arm around James, and Scorpius was next to James. They all watched Molly wave her wand over Ginny. “Ennervate!” cried Molly.

Ginny stirred and woke up slowly. She tried to sit up, but swayed and grabbed her head. Abby broke free from Harry and flung herself into Ginny's arms.

“Mum, oh Mum,” she cried.

Ron and Hermione came through the floo, concerned. “What's going on, Harry?” asked Hermione.

Ron came over to Ginny. “You all right, sis?” he asked gently. Ginny nodded, them moaned.

Hagrid came through the back door, holding Sirius. Jess let out a gasp at the size of him “It's a giant!” she said.

“Half giant,” said Harry, James and Ron. They looked at each other and laughed; Hagrid had a smile on his face.

“Little Sirius will be fine, just keep him quiet the next couple o' days, James. No sending him out with mail, or anything. If he wants to fly, let him, but keep an eye on him. For now, you can nurse him, or put him in his cage,” he said, handing Sirius over to James.

Sirius gave a weak little hoot. “I'll nurse him. Thank you so much, Hagrid,” said James, giving Hagrid a one armed hug.

He sat on a chair near Ginny, stroking Sirius. “Ginny, thank you for going back for Sirius, and for helping my mum,” he said softly.

“It's fine James, really,” said Ginny, quietly. Abby nestled in closer to her mum.

Hermione and Harry were talking in the kitchen. They called Jess in, saying she would need to report Barry, and get it on the record so he couldn't teach any more. Hermione offered to go with her for legal counsel, although she stressed she had no actual credentials in the Muggle world.

“Although Barry doesn't know that, does he?” asked Hermione with a wink. “I don't mind giving him a scare.

“I think Ginny already did that,” chuckled Neville, coming in to the kitchen. “Hi, I'm Neville, I'm one of James and Abby's teachers at Hogwarts,” he greeted Jess.

“Oh, really, I'm a teacher, too,” said Jess. She winced, holding her wrist.

Hermione said, “Harry, Jess will need to go to a Muggle hospital and get her wrist fixed, that will be something else against Barry, if you agree to press charges. Do you want to take her or would you like me to?”

“I'll take her. Just let me go see Gin, okay?” said Harry.

Hermione nodded and continued talking with Neville and Jess. She noted that they were getting on really well, as they talked about schools and students and lessons.

Harry went into the lounge. James was sitting in the chair, still stroking Sirius. Abby was sitting on one arm of his chair and Scorpius on the other. Harry passed Ron as he headed for Ginny.

“Mate, I heard you say you're taking your ex to the Muggle hospital; do you want me to let Malfoy know what happened? He needs to be told. We'll have to go back to the house and get the kids clothes,” he said.

Hermione came and stood with them. “Not until the police go through the house, Ron. More evidence against Barry,” she said.

Harry left them talking, going over to kneel down next to Ginny. She was laying back down, and had been quiet.

“Hey, you okay?” Harry asked softly.

Ginny nodded and winced. “I have to stop doing that,” she chuckled.

Harry lay his head on her upper torso, his face looking at her. Ginny ran her fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes at her touch and shivered. A tear ran down his cheek.

“Hey?” Ginny whispered.

Harry opened his eyes and looked at her. She smiled softly. “Everyone's fine, Harry,” she said.

“Don't,” said Harry, leaning in to the touch of her hand.

“Don't what?” she asked.

“Don't get hurt any more. Don't leave me. Don't-”

“Hey, come here,” said Ginny.

Harry moved up so their faces were so close. Ginny palmed his cheek. “I love you,” she said.

“I love you, too, Gin, so much,” said Harry, kissing her softly.

“Ahem,” said Arthur. “Maybe it's time you took this young lady to the hospital, Harry. We'll look after Ginny and the children while you're gone, all right?” asked Arthur.

He indicated Jess, who had been standing near James, and watched the whole scene with Harry and Ginny. She frowned, as something niggled in her mind.

“Harry, you should put your glamour on, and go as Henry Evans. If the police ask, you have a perfect reason for being at the house you can say you were picking James up and saw the door open and went in and found Jess injured and the house trashed,” said Hermione.

“Okay, Hermione. Gin, I'll be back as soon as I can. Get some rest, love,” he said, stroking her hair and putting a kiss on her lips.

“Mmm,” said Ginny drowsily.

Harry stood up and saw Jess staring at Ginny. “What's wrong?” he asked, looking from Jess to Ginny, who had gone to sleep.

He hoped his ex wasn't going to be weird about him showing affection to Ginny.

“I know her,” said Jess, confused. “I mean, I remember her. I just don't know from where, and it's driving me crazy,” she said.

“Jess, would you like to come back and stay here the night? It looks like we'll be having a house full tonight, so one more won't make a difference,” asked Molly.

“Oh, I don't want to be a bother. I'll call a girlfriend, or go to a hotel,” Jess said.

“Please Mum, come back and stay. I'd love you to meet Dad's family, the Weasleys,” said James.

Sirius gave a little hoot.

“I can't argue with that,” chuckled Jess. Everyone smiled.

“Come on Jess, let's go. James, we'll be back as soon as we can. If it looks like we'll be a long time, I'll send a message, all right?”said Harry.

Sirius gave another hoot. James grinned. “No, not you, Sirius. No worries Dad, look after Mum, won't you?”

Harry, Hermione and Jess left. Neville and Hagrid declined Molly's offer to stay for an early tea. Ron returned with Draco, and he took Scorpius home. Abby and Molly helped Ginny up to her old room, where she fell asleep. James looked after Sirius, and talked to Arthur and Abby, when she returned to the lounge.

Three hours later, Harry and Jess returned to the Burrow. Jess's wrist was in plaster again. They had been to the house and grabbed the children's clothes, and some overnight clothes for Jess. She was impressed when the 'Reparo' charm quickly fixed her house. Barry had been partially Obliviated by Hermione while Harry and Jess had been at the hospital. He wouldn't remember what Ginny had done to him, Hermione had untied him and left him on the bed asleep. The police had come in and arrested him, and taken photos of the trashed house.

Ron had returned home to Mel and his children, so the only ones there were Molly, Arthur, Ginny and the children. Molly placed a plate of food in front of Harry and Jess, and they ate hungrily, Jess still eyeing Ginny. She had napped for an hour, then came downstairs.

Molly started making sleeping arrangements. “Right, Harry, you can take Ron's old room, or I should say, yours and Ron's old room. Jess, you'll be on the next floor, in George's old room. Abby, you can sleep in with your Mum, James, with your Dad. There, that was easy,” said Molly, happily.

“Actually, Mum, I think I want to go home,” said Ginny, standing up slowly. She had to grip the back of the chair to keep steady.

“Ginny, love, you shouldn't be alone. You have a concussion, you need to be looked after,” said Molly firmly.

“Mum, I'll sleep better in my own bed,” argued Ginny. Molly put her hands on her hips.

“She won't be alone, Nana Molly,” said James.

Everyone turned to look at him.

“Dad, you'll look after Ginny, won't you?”

Everyone turned to look at Harry. He swallowed. “Well, of course I would.”

“I mean, I know it won't be much fun for you. I mean, you'll have to stay with her all night, to see if she's okay. Geez, you may as well sleep in the same bed, that will save time, won't it?” asked Jay, innocently.

Harry's jaw dropped open. Did his son just tell him it was all right to sleep with Ginny? He looked at his son, who looked back at him. He would have looked innocent if he hadn't winked at his dad.

“I know where I know you from!” said Jess to Ginny. “In the park, years ago, well, twelve years ago. You were pregnant, nearly due and I came with James-”

“in a pram. You told me it was your first time out without your husband, but it was such a nice day, you thought you'd come for a walk with your son. I asked you-” Ginny broke off.

“you asked me his name and I told you James. You said you had always planned to have a son named James. You told me you were having a girl, and I told you next time you had a baby you could call him James, and you said-”

“I really want to go home now,” said Ginny, near tears.

She turned on the spot and swayed. Harry jumped up to grab her. Everyone was looking between Jess and Ginny.

“Go on, Mum. What did Ginny say?” asked James.

Jess looked at Ginny. “She told me her James wasn't to be. She said it in such a sad way that I wondered if her husband had died, or something, but it wasn't that, was it? It was Henry, er Harry. You showed me a photo, asking if I'd seen him. Of course, Harry was under a, what did you call it? A glamour. So, of course, to me he looked different.”

“That was it, wasn't it? The last time you looked for me, the day you let me go,” asked Harry, slowly.

Ginny nodded, tears falling down her cheeks. “Abby was born three days later, on the eleventh of July.”

Molly and Arthur sniffed, knowing how hard it had been for Ginny to give up her dream of a life with Harry. Abby and James looked at Harry holding Ginny, sensing this was a serious moment.

Jess stood up and walked over to Harry and Ginny. “Now you have a James we can share. Harry, I think you need to take Ginny home, don't you,” she said softly.

She went back to her chair, and continued to sip her cup of tea.

Harry nodded. Ginny leaned on him, and they quickly left. Just before they did, James whispered in Harry's ear. “Maybe tonight would be a good time to give Ginny back her underwear. Both sets!” he said.

Harry helped Ginny though the floo and into her house. He got her settled in her bed, and went to make her a cup of tea. He hovered and fussed, and she watched him without saying a word.

“So, is there anything else I can get you, another blanket, more tea? Does your head hurt?”

“Harry, come to bed,” said Ginny, tiredly.

“Are you sure, because I could sleep in Abby's room, or on the couch. I don't want to disturb you, Gin, you need a good night sleep.”

“Come to bed, Harry. All I need is you,” said Ginny.

Harry removed his clothes, except for his boxers. He got into bed carefully, not wanting to make too much movement. He lay down, looking up at the ceiling. Ginny lay on the other side, doing the same.

Harry broke the silence. “I can't believe you looked for me, all that time.”

Ginny replied softly. “I can't believe I got so close.”

“I should have got in touch with you, especially when my marriage broke down,” he said.

“We both had kids. In a way, that would have been harder, but-”

“What, Gin?” Harry turned on his side to look at her. She turned her head to look at him.

“I just wanted to know you were happy,” she whispered, turning to face him, and brushing a lock of his hair away from his eyes.

“I was. I love my son...”

“I know,” said Ginny.

“But how could I be completely happy without you? My heart, my love, my everything, my Ginny.”

A tear fell from Ginny's eye. “It's a good thing my daughter was smart enough to sit in the carriage with your son, wasn't it?”

“It's a good thing I decided to let Ron sit with me in my carriage, wasn't it?” shot back Harry.

“It's a very good thing you're here with me now, isn't it?” smirked Ginny, cuddling into Harry's side.

His arms came around her. “It's a bloody brilliant future we have ahead of us, isn't it?” He kissed her temple.

Ginny murmured an agreement. “Wherever we go, whatever you end up doing, we'll be together. You and me, and the kids,” she said.

“Funny you should mention that. I was talking to Percy, and he had an idea. Tell me what you think...”


A/N Epilogue to come, then that's all folks!






















Back to index


Chapter 23: Chapter 23 Epilogue

Author's Notes: Can't believe it's the final chapter. I do love me a good epilogue, hope you like it, hell, i hope you love it.


Ch 23 Epilogue. July 1 2018

“Look out, Dad, I'm coming in!” called James, now sixteen.

Harry moved out of the way as James dived in the swimming pool. He surfaced and grinned at his dad. “Wanna race, old man? Up and back, one full lap?”

Harry grinned. “You're on.”

They moved to the edge of the pool and Harry yelled “Go.”

He gave James a bit of a head start, then took off down the pool lane, in pursuit. James pushed him all the way, and it was pretty close at the end.

“Think I got you there, Dad. I think Ginny's good cooking is slowing you down,” teased James.

“I think it was too close to call,” said Harry, shaking his hair. He swam to the shallow end. “Is Bonnie coming to tea tonight?”

James nodded happily.

“How ARE you going to survive six weeks apart from your girlfriend?” teased Abby, coming out of the house, and sitting on the edge of the pool.

James scowled and swam over to her, grabbed her legs and pulled her in.

“Jamie, I didn't want to get my hair wet!” she squealed.

Abby pushed James's head under the water. He surfaced, picked her up by the waist and threw her. They both laughed as she came up spluttering.

“I can't believe this time tomorrow we'll be home in England,” mused Harry.

“I know we've only been here a couple of years but I think of California as home now, not England,” said James.

“Me too. I miss some things, and of course, the family, but I love living here,” agreed Abby.

“Would one of the things you miss be Scorpius Malfoy?” asked James, teasingly.

Abby blushed and stuck her tongue out at James and said, “Prat!”

Harry noticed she didn't deny it, and chuckled. “Well, at least our family has been happy to come and visit often. We've had your mum, James, and Hermione. Luna, Rolf and their kids. All the Weasley's have been, including Molly and Arthur,” said Harry, happily.

“I still can't believe how much Grandpa loved Disneyland. He loved all the rides, even the little kiddy ones. I bet he wants to go back there, the next time they visit,” said James.

“Well, at least now he has an excuse to go on those rides,” said Harry, looking towards the house. “Where's your Mum?” he asked Abby.

“Doing a last minute check on the guest bedroom for Neville and Hannah,” said Abby. “Merlin, it feels strange not to call him Professor anymore. I was really surprised that he left Hogwarts, he was one of the best teachers they had.”

“I still reckon him and Mum made a good couple,” said James.

Neville and Jess had dated over the summer they first met, and stayed in touch when Neville and the children returned to Hogwarts for their second year. However, the problem of being a Muggle dating a wizard, and ultimately the distance, had put an end to the relationship.

Neville had bumped into Hannah while shopping in Diagon Alley, and she had invited him back to the Leaky Cauldron for lunch. Hannah admitted to Neville she had missed him, and regretted the divorce. They had remarried a month later, and Neville resigned from his position at Hogwarts. He was now working for an apothecary, in their greenhouses. His plants and herbs were used in potions for St Mungo's, and also supplied Hogwarts regularly.

Hannah and Neville didn't have time for a honeymoon, until now. They were going to be house sitting for the Potters, while they were in England.

The sliding door to the back of the house opened, and Harry eagerly turned to see who it was.
“Here's my girl,” he said, holding out his hands. “Come to Daddy!”

Thirteen month old Lily Luna toddled towards the pool. She was just learning to walk. Harry, James and Abby swam to the sides, calling out her name and encouraging her.

Giggling, Ginny scooped her up and kissed her cheek. She put her down again, applied a sunscreen charm over her and held her hand as they came to the pool. Ginny lifted her up and handed her over to James, who swam away with her.

Abby followed, swimming around Lily and James. She'd pop up from behind James and say “Peek a boo, I see you.”

Lily thought it was a fun game, and she laughed and splashed. Ginny walked down the steps of the pool and made her way over to Harry, who pulled her into his arms.

“Everything all right in there?” he asked, nuzzling her neck

“Yes, guest bedrom is all ready, I've left a list for them of places I think they might like to visit, and restaurants they might like to go to. Our bags are packed and ready and our Portkey passes are in my purse. We are good to go,” said Ginny, running her hands over Harry's broad shoulders.

“Love, if they're anything like us on our honeymoon, they won't want to go out too much, will they?” asked Harry, kissing her.

He turned her so he could put his arms around her from behind, as they watched their children play together. Abby now had Lily, as James pretended to be a fish for Lily's amusement..

The children had returned to Hogwarts for their second year. The press had stayed away from the children at Hogwarts, but didn't stop their pursuit of any news of Harry. He worked at Potter's Place and Ginny continued her Quidditch work.However, they had been to California to meet with the school board of a new wizarding school there, after being recommended by Percy. They were married just before they started their new positions at the school, in the summer of 2016.

Ginny and Harry were married in Hawaii in June, with only Molly, Arthur and their children present. Arthur and Molly escorted Ginny to Harry, where he waited with James, his best man. Abby was the bridesmaid. It was a beautiful simple ceremony, held at sunset near the beach.

Arthur and Molly had then taken the children back to their new home in California, while Ginny and Harry stayed for a week long honeymoon.

Harry gained the job of Professor of Defense against the Dark Arts and, when Ginny fell pregnant, took over her role as Flying Instructor. Quadpot was more common than Quidditch in the States, and Harry enjoyed the challenge of the new game.

While it was hard to leave family and friends in England, both Harry and Ginny had looked forward to starting fresh together. The school was a day school, and there were no Houses, so there was no great rivalry. In the US, Harry Potter was just a name in their History of Magic text books, and Harry liked that. He was home with his family every night and with the summer off, they were heading to England for six weeks, where they would celebrate Abby, Harry and Ginny's birthday.

James was going to spend a couple of weeks with his mum and Abby would be spending at least a week with her grandmother Wood. They would all come together for the wedding of Teddy and Victoire on July twenty-second..

Abby and James swam close to Ginny and Harry. They had put Lily in a rubber ring and were pulling her, her little legs paddling under the water. She waved her arms at Ginny and Harry as she was pulled past them.

Harry and Ginny laughed. Their precious little Lily Luna was born and was adored by her brother and sister, and thrived when they were around.

Ginny never had a doubt that Harry was a good father, and it brought tears to her eyes when she saw him with all their children. From the moment she had told him she was pregnant, to the moment he had cut the cord at Lily's birth, she swore she had never seen Harry so happy. Her Harry was made to be a father.

“Well, I think I'm going to get out. I'm going to get a start on tea, remember, we're eating early tonight. Our Portkey leaves early, so we need a good night sleep. James, Bonnie will be here soon, won't she?”asked Ginny, giving Harry a kiss before leaving the pool.

“Cripes, yes, I need to have a shower before she gets here,” said James, leaving the pool, too.

“Don't forget to brush your teeth, so you'll be minty fresh when you kiss her goodbye,” teased Abby.
She swam to Harry and handed Lily over to him.

“Mum, hey Mum, can you do that thing with your wand so my hair curls at the end, you know...”

Her voice trailed off as she left the pool, grabbed a towel and went inside.

“Just you and me now, baby girl,” said Harry, holding Lily and gently floating with her.

“Daddy play,” said Lily. She clung to Harry as he went round and round in a circle. She giggled, the happiest sound Harry ever heard. They played for several minutes.

He nuzzled her neck and blew a raspberry on her cheek. She let out a big belly laugh, and grabbed Harry's hair. “Silly Daddy,” she said. She yawned, and placed her head on Harry's shoulder.

Harry never failed to be amazed at the thrill he felt when she did simple things like that. He'd been a nervous dad around James, uncertain as to how to hold him, or burp him, worrying he was going to hurt him if he patted him too hard. Jess had encouraged him to be a hands on dad, but he was more comfortable with it as James got older.

With Lily, he couldn't get enough. He came home from work, and had to see his little girl. He hated to hear her cry. He played silly games with her. He was proud of the way that James and Abby had adapted to their family, and Lily was now the icing on the cake.

Lily nestled into her Daddy's chest. Harry held her protectively. “Who's Daddy's girl? Who's Daddy's precious? Who's Lily's favourite?” he asked teasingly.

Lily saw something over Harry's shoulder and cried out “Mama!”

Harry turned around with Lily in his arms, and saw Ginny sitting on the pool wall behind him. He handed Lily over to Ginny.

“Er, how long were you there?” he asked.

“Long enough to hear you try and gain favour with our daughter,” grinned Ginny, towelling Lily dry. She squirmed as Ginny dried her hair, lifting a corner of the towel up to peek at Harry.

“Peek a boo, Daddy!” she said.

“Nonsense, Gin. Didn't you hear what we were saying. Who's my girl, who's my precious? She said Mama, you heard her, and she's right. You're my girl, aren't you? My precious? My precious!”

He said the last word in the voice of Gollum, from the 'Lord of the Rings' movie. Ginny shrieked with laughter, and Lily joined in.

Harry pulled himself out of the pool and sat beside his girls. Lily handed him her towel. Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss. She giggled.

“Kiss Mama!” said Lily.

Harry obliged, giving Ginny a lip smacker of a kiss, for Lily's benefit. She clapped her hands.

“Mum, do you want me to take Lily and give her a bath. Now that Jamie is FINALLY out of the shower, the bathroom's free.”

“Sure sweetie, thanks. I'll be right in. Go with your sister, Lil,” said Ginny, handing her over to Abby.

Abby took Lily's hand and helped her slowly walk into the house. Ginny made to get up, but Harry held her here.

“Harry, I have to go, Bonnie will be here soon, you'd better fire up the barbeque. I still have to make a salad and-”

Harry kissed her. It took her a second to return the kiss. She felt his love poured into the kiss, and he hoped he could feel it in hers.

He pulled away and leaned his forehead against hers. “I want another one,” he said.

“Okay,” she said, leaning in for another kiss. He pulled back.

“No, I mean, yes, I will always want another kiss from you. I meant, I want another baby,” he said, unsure of her reaction. He waited.

She smiled. “I think we make beautiful babies, don't you?”

He nodded.

“I love being pregnant. I know you like me being pregnant. I get all weepy, and my boobs get bigger. You looked after me so well when I was pregnant. One of my most precious memories is the look on your face when Lily was born,” she whispered, a tear in her eye.

“Hey,” he said, concerned. “I didn't mean to make you cry.”

She shook her head. “I love having babies with you. In fact, I-well, I was going to tell you on your birthday but...Sirius!” she called.

Little Sirius fluttered out of a bedroom window, flying over and around the pool. He flew in and dropped an envelope in Harry's lap, coming to rest on Ginny's shoulder. He rubbed his head against her cheek.

“Thank you, little one,” she crooned.

He hooted and flew back into the house. Ginny turned back to Harry. He opened the envelope and took out the photo. It was an ultrasound photo. He looked up at her.

“Really?” he whispered.

Ginny nodded, smiling through her tears. She took his hand and placed it on her stomach. “I'm due in February,” she said.

Harry pulled her into his arms, kissing her through his tears.

From the kitchen window, Abby, Lily and James watched. “Told ya!” said Abby triumphantly. “I knew she was going to have another baby. As soon as she said the milk in her tea tasted funny, I knew. She was the same with Lily. I wonder if that means it will be another girl.”

“Nah, this one's gonna be a boy, I reckon. Then it will be three all, three men, three girls. What do you think, Lily. Boy or girl baby?” said James.

Lily clapped. “Baby!” she said.

They turned back to look out the window. Harry helped Ginny up, and with his arm around her waist, they made their way inside. To their family.

FINITE


A/N Ever have one of those amazing moments when you are writing and things fall into place? As I was writing the line when Harry calls Ginny his precious, an ad came on for Lord of the Rings, and Gollum said 'precious'. I just HAD to include it!

I can't believe the story is finished, I've enjoyed writing it, and appreciated all the reviews. Thank you for reading.


A/N #2. I have just discovered I have missed a chapter so I will post that ASAP, my deepest apologies. It will explain the Harry/Jess relationship.









Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129824