Christmas with the Potters by Pottermum



Summary: Will a revelation ruin Harry's Christmas plans?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-Hogwarts
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: The Potters.
Published: 2014.07.26
Updated: 2014.07.31


Christmas with the Potters by Pottermum
Chapter 1: Chapter 1 Christmas Eve Eve
Author's Notes:


Knock Knock.

“Come in,” said Harry Potter, busy signing his name to what seemed like a hundred scrolls.

His secretary Nancy, placed some more on his desk. Harry groaned, handing her the ones he had just finished signing.

“Here Nancy, these are the evaluations for the first year trainees, please get them ready to be delivered after the Christmas break. What do you have for me there?” he asked.

“These are the evaluations for the second years that are due to go out after New Years. If you are planning to come into tomorrow, they can wait till then,” she said.

Harry contemplated for a minute. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, and he liked to spend the whole day with his own family before they spent all day with everyone at the Burrow on Christmas Day.

“I think I'll try and get them done tonight,” he decided.

Nancy glanced at the clock. “You need to be out of here by 6 pm tonight, I have my orders, Boss.
I'll come in for an hour or so tomorrow to get them ready for delivery, and deal with any last minute correspondence. I'll contact you if anything urgent comes up,” she said.

Harry nodded, reaching for a fresh quill. “Orders from Kingsley?” he asked.

Nancy smiled. “No, from your wife. Oh, Trainer O'Connor wants a quick word, Boss, may I send him in?”

Harry smiled, “Ah yes, the real boss in my life,” he said, referring to Ginny. Nancy smiled at him.

He sighed. “Send in O'Connor, then once you've done those letters you can go. Merry Christmas, Nancy.”

“Merry Christmas Harry, and thanks again for the gift.”

She left and ushered Brian O'Connor in. Sam is the Head Trainer for the Auror department, and he and Harry work closely together to make sure the Aurors are a strong, prepared unit.

“Have a seat, Brian. If you don't mind, I'll keep signing as we talk, I'm on the clock here,” Harry said, scribbling madly.

“Sure, no problem Harry, we all know you like to be out of here by 6, and none of us want a Howler from your missus,” chuckled Brian.

Harry shook his head, laughing as he continued to sign. “What can I do for you?”

Brian paused. “Ah, I see you're signing the second years' evaluations.”

Harry nodded, without looking up.

“I just wanted to let you know that Al's isn't in there,” said Brian.

Harry stopped signing, and looked over to Brian. He felt his heart take a leap. “No better?” he asked.

Brian sighed. “Al is such a great kid, and he tries so hard. No one can deny he gives it a hundred per cent. We talked about this back in June, and we agreed to give him extra time. We discussed his weaknesses with him, and he said he'd improve. I'm sorry, Harry, Al is just not cut out to be an Auror,” he finished sadly.

Harry looked at Brian. “Have you told him?” he asked.

Brian shook his head. “Look, the kid is great in certain areas, like talking to witnesses, and interrogating. Why don't you have a talk to him, see if you can point out where his strengths could take him. There are a lot of different branches in our department, Harry, it doesn't mean he has to leave.”

“But he has to leave the Auror programme?” asked Harry, slowly.

Brian nodded. “I'm sorry, Harry. He's just not meant to be an Auror, not like your other son. Talk to him, and then we'll sit down and figure something out after the New Year.”

“You mean, you want me to sack my son, over Christmas?” asked Harry incredulously.

Brian got up to go. “Let him know he needs to make another career choice. Whether you do it at home, over Christmas, or back in the office after, well, that's up to you. I'd better be going; you're nearly out of time. See ya Harry. Merry Christmas,” he said exiting Harry's office.

Nancy came in as Harry's door was about to shut. Harry looked up at the unexpected sight of his secretary. “Sorry, Harry, I know it's last minute, but Kingsley wants a quick word. Letters are done and I'm going, unless you want me to stay and wait for you to finish your appointment with Kingsley?”

Harry gathered the unsigned evaluation reports and threw them into his briefcase, a gift from his family when he was made Head of the department. A quick sweep of his wand straightened everything up, and Harry followed Nancy out, saying “Nox,” to turn the lights out. He shut the door
and turned to face Nancy.

“No, it's fine. Thanks though. Now go, or your husband and kids will be after me for keeping you. Goodnight,” he said, already heading to Kingsley's office.

“Fifteen minutes!” she called, as he hurried down the hall. Harry lifted an arm and waved, to indicate he'd heard her.

He arrived in Kingsley's office to find Kingsley's secretary finishing for the day, too. “Hi, Harry, Kingsley's in his office, he said to go straight in when you get here. I know you probably won't be in tomorrow unless there's an emergency, so I'll say Merry Christmas to you and your family now,” she said, gathering her jacket and purse.

“Thank you, Pria, Merry Christmas to you, too. Good night,” said Harry as he entered Kingsley's office.

“Ah Harry, thanks for seeing me, I won't keep you too long. I have orders from a higher authority that you need to be out of here by 6, so I'll make it brief.”

“Higher authority? Kingsley, you're the Minister for Magic, there is no higher authority,” chuckled Harry.

“Tell that to your wife,” replied Kingsley, wryly.

Both men chuckled. Ginny Potter was a force to be reckoned with when she thought her husband was working too hard. She'd been slightly appeased when Harry started allocating more responsibility to his deputy, Ernie MacMillan. It would be Ernie covering the office tomorrow, unless something major happened.

“So, I have to say I was completely surprised when your son came to see me. Surprised and delighted, I should say. I've thought about it, I've spoken to O'Connor and McMillan, and now I want to know what you think. I'm asking you as his boss, and as his father,” asked Kingsley.

Harry was confused. Why would James or Al want to speak to Kingsley? “Sorry, Kingsley, are we talking about James or Al?' he asked.

“Al, of course,” said Kingsley.

“I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about. Why did Al come to see you?” asked Harry.

Kingsley looked taken aback. “Oh, my apologies Harry, I thought you knew. Al came to me last week. He wants to come and work with me. Both his trainer and McMillan agree that Al's strengths lie in his ability to deal with people, they say he's a natural in interrogation, he's concise in his reports, excellent in dealing with witnesses, surprisingly handles the press well, considering, well, you,” said Kingsley, with a wink.

Harry was shocked. “Al wants to be a politician?” he asked.

Kingsley's booming laugh echoed around his office. “Harry, Harry, Harry, I don't think anyone grows up wanting to BE a politician, they just fall into it, it's a part of the real job they want to do.
I was an Auror, like you, when the second war ended. I never had any aspirations to be the Minister for Magic, but really, who else was there? Arthur didn't want it, and quite frankly, there weren't too many other people around. Honestly, I saw it as an opportunity to get us back on our feet, and if I could do that from the top spot, well, so be it. I never thought I'd be in this position so long, and I'm ready to retire,” said Kingsley.

“Retire! Really?” asked Harry.

“Well, in another three, four, maybe five years. When I know I have someone who is ready to step up to the plate, who can lead us forward, in the right direction. In other words, I intend to train your son to become the next Minister for Magic,” said Kingsley, sitting back and waiting for Harry's reaction.

Harry stared. “Al-my Al, the next Minister for Magic? You really think he's capable?”

“What, you don't?” asked Kingsley, frowning slightly.

“No, it's not that, it's just, wow, not something I ever really thought about. Now you say it, I'm starting to think you may be on the right track. It actually feels like a good fit for Al, you know.
May I ask what he said when he came to see you?” asked Harry.

Kingsley chuckled. “Oh, he came in well prepared. He made quite a speech, a good start for a future politician, you know. The thing is, Harry, he meant every word he said. Now, I get a lot of young people come in, asking me for a job, a chance, some of them weren't half bad, don't get me wrong. Your son, however, pointed out to me all the flaws in himself in every job he's ever had, but then turned it around. He pointed out to me that the experience he has had in those other jobs made him a perfect person for this position. Think about it, working in Arthur's old department has given him experience in dealing with Muggles, and their way of life. An important part of the job, you know.”

Harry nodded. He remembered a young Albus enthralled with Arthur's tales of Muggles and the items Arthur had in his shed. He knew Al had liked to ask Harry and Hermione their thoughts on current events in the Muggle world. Suddenly it was all becoming clear that was where Al's future lay.

“He's enjoyed his Auror training, but he knows he's no good. His words, not mine!” said Kingsley, as Harry opened his mouth to protest. “But again, he's had the training, he's seen how the department operates. Between the two of us, we can liaise with Al on what he'd need to know from your department.”

Harry nodded again. Kingsley continued. “The main fact, though, the thing that really got me, was when he played the 'Potter' card.

Harry started. That didn't sound like something Al would do. Kingsley kept talking, as if he hadn't noticed Harry's reaction.

“He told me he knew he would be accepted just because of the fact of being your son. He told me he would use that, to promote what you had taught him. The importance of family, of education for our young, of looking out for our elderly, of respecting our traditions, but being brave enough to forge new ground. He spoke passionately about moving forward, about the need to embrace change, not fear it. I've got to tell you Harry, I was quite moved, because he honestly meant it. He looked, I don't know how else to explain it, but it was like he was at peace with himself. He was totally confident, happy, knew what he was talking about, knew what he wanted. I like that, I'm excited about that. I really can't wait to sit back and see where your son leads us, Harry!” finished Kingsley.

He looked up at the clock on the wall, and if it were at all possible, Harry could have sworn Kingsley paled. “M-Merlin, is that the time. You better be going before Gi-er it gets too late. Think about it, talk to him and Ginny about it. I'll talk to you both again in the New Year. Merry Christmas, Harry. Here, for you and Ginny. My very best wishes to all the family,” said Kingsley, handing over a bottle of champagne he knew was Ginny's favourite.

“Oh, yeah right, er, thanks Kingsley, you've given me a lot to think about, and yes, I'll talk to Al. Merry Christmas, and thank you for this,” he said, raising the bottle.

“No problem,” said Kingsley, again nervously looking at the clock, “Oh and Harry, just wanted you to know that Al told me, about him being gay. He said that he didn't intend to make it an issue, but that if he was asked he would tell the truth. He said he had no reason to hide it; it was a part of who he was. I just wanted you to know that I know, and I admire the way Al is dealing with it. Now I have to go check on another couple of departments before I call it a night. Goodbye, Harry,” said Kingsley, escorting Harry out of the office and leaving.

Harry watched Kingsley leave as if he were in fog. He leaned against Kingsley's door, trying to make sense of what he had just learned. 'Al is going to be the Minister for Magic one day. Al is gay. Al is going to be Minister for Magic. Al is gay. Al is going to be Minister. Al is gay. Al is gay. Al is gay.”

Harry left Kingsley's office and headed for the Atrium on Level eight, hoping he didn't meet too many well wishers on the way. He just wanted to go and home and digest this news, talk to Ginny, talk to Al, although how we even going to start that conversation, he didn't know. He stepped into the gilded fireplace, and set off for home.







Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129837