How Hagrid Saved Christmas by Pottermum



Summary: Harry's youngest grandchild is scared of Santa coming in to her house on Christmas Eve!
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-Hogwarts
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: The Potters.
Published: 2014.08.30
Updated: 2014.09.06


How Hagrid Saved Christmas by Pottermum
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:


Harry turned over in his bed, and glanced at the alarm clock. Two am. He grimaced, and turned to cuddle back into Ginny's warmth, when he heard a noise. He stilled and waited. He heard it again. He got out of bed and made his way down the hall. Five minutes later, he was back in bed, and soon asleep again.

Five hours later, and Ginny awoke. She was disorientated at first. She was still getting used to the fact that Harry and her had traded houses with Al and Scorpius. Now that they had the three girls, Al and Scorpius needed the bigger house, and Harry and Ginny had wanted to downsize. It was a perfect solution, as Harry and Ginny hadn't wanted to sell their beloved family home.

Ginny looked at the clock, and realised it was Christmas Eve. They didn't have much to do today, as all their presents were ready for the big day tomorrow. The thought of spending time with all her family together made Ginny smile. She rolled over, intending to cuddle into Harry's warmth, when she saw her special spot next to him was already taken. She cuddled as close as she could, and drifted back into a light sleep.

She awoke again to the sound of giggling. She turned to see Harry pretending to snore, making his youngest granddaughter giggle. Ginny patted her on the arm, and her granddaughter turned to her.

“Morning Nana. Gwandpa snoring,” she giggled.

“So I can hear,” said Ginny, smiling.

A soft knock on the door made them look up. “Come in,” said Ginny.

Al opened the door and stuck his head in. “Morning, Mum. What time did she come in this time?”

Harry opened his eyes. “It was about two, same as yesterday. She'd wet the bed again, too.”

“Damn, I'm really sorry about this, I just-”

“Hey Nana and Grandpa are awake,” said a girls voice.

Just then Annie, seven, and Cassie, nearly five came running into Harry and Ginny's bed. With giggles, they joined their sister, climbing under the covers with their grandparents. The youngest cuddled closer to Harry.

Scorpius joined Al in the doorway. “So this is where everyone is hiding,” he said. “I'm going to make breakfast, what does everyone want?” he asked.

“Dippy eggs, Daddy. With toasty soldiers, please,” stated Annie. Cassie nodded eagerly.

“I'm going to need some helpers,” said Scorpius. “Who's going to be my helpers?”

“Me, me!” cried Annie and Cassie, climbing out of their grandparent's bed. They rushed out to follow Scorpius.

Al smiled as he watched them go. His smile faded as he turned back to his youngest daughter. He came over and sat on the edge of the bed. He held his arms out for his daughter, and she left the comfort and safety of her grandpa's arms for the comfort and safety of her daddy's arms.

“Eggs, Daddy?” she asked.

“Yes, Ginny Rose, Daddy is making eggs for our girls. Shall we go into the kitchen? Maybe you can help me make breakfast for Nana and Grandpa? What do you say?” he asked softly.

Ginny Rose looked at her grandpa, and he nodded encouragingly. She smiled back at her daddy, and he picked her up and carried her out the room.

Ginny rolled over and cuddled into Harry. He put his arms around her, kissing her forehead. “How bad was she?” asked Ginny.

“Whimpering. Half asleep. I tried to settle her in her bed, but I didn't want to wake the other two girls. That's why I brought her into our bed,” said Harry.

“What can we do, Harry? She seemed to be getting over the abduction. Then, when the other two mentioned about Santa coming in the night to leave presents, she got all upset again. How do we get her through this?” asked Ginny.

Harry sighed. All of his fears for his children being hounded and possibly targeted had been for nothing. Yet after all this time, now they lived in a peaceful era, his baby granddaughter had been abducted.

It was Al's high profile as Minister for Magic, and his and Scorpius's high profile as a gay couple who had adopted, that had made them the target. All it took was a trip to Diagon Alley, and for Scorpius to be distracted for a brief moment in time. He turned back to find his baby daughter gone.

He had torn the Alley apart, immediately calling for the Aurors. Teddy and James had handled the case themselves. They knew that Al had received threatening letters from a woman; claiming to be Ginny Rose's biological mother, saying she wanted her daughter back. They traced her, and broke into her home, finding Ginny Rose unharmed, but upset. With a big family such as theirs, there was never a need to leave any of the children with strangers, so for the little girl, it was a scary time.

Harry had insisted on going with Teddy and James, and while they had subdued the woman, Harry had been the one to go into the room where Ginny Rose was curled in a corner. He had softly called her name, and she had leaped into his arms, her little arms wrapped around his neck in a vice like grip. She wouldn't let go, even as she recognised Uncle James and Uncle Teddy.

Harry had Apparated her away to St Mungo's, where it was determined she wasn't hurt, but quite traumatised. Al and Scorpius had met them there, and they stayed the night at St Mungo's with her. Harry and Ginny had looked after Annie and Cassie for them.

It turned out that the woman had lost a baby to SIDS, and this had lead to a deep depression. She had read the papers of Al and his daughters, and somehow convinced herself that her baby hadn't died, but was taken away and given to Al.

What no-one outside the family knew was that Ginny Rose was Al's biological daughter. After their successful adoption of Annie, they had applied again after a couple of years. Then they had been stunned when Al's sister Lily had come forward, offering to be a surrogate. After much talking, and counselling, and with the support of all the family, Lily had been impregnated with Scorpius's sperm. It was a success, and Al and Scorpius cried tears of joy when Cassiopeia was born.

Although they were a happy little family of four, Al often wondered about having a child of his own. After mentioning this to James on a boys night out, he had been surprised when James and Ali had turned up a week later, with Ali offering to be a surrogate for Al.

It had taken three tries for Ali to fall pregnant. They had all agreed that this would be their last try. When the test showed positive, Scorpius and Ali had danced around. James had grabbed a stunned Al in a hug. When Ginny Rose was born, Al knew a happiness he had only imagined.

So, they knew that, despite this woman's claims, they were false. At Al and Scorpius's insistence, they didn't press charges, but made sure the woman received medical help and counselling.

The family surrounded Ginny Rose with love. She seemed to recover quite well with counselling, only seeming to get agitated if she didn't know where her daddies were, or her sisters. She clung to Harry, particularly. She shared his and Al's green eyes, a fact that she seemed to find comforting.

It was only this last couple of weeks, with the approach of Christmas, that her night terrors began. When Annie had mentioned that Santa would come into the house and leave presents while they slept, she grew quiet. That night, she refused to go to sleep, whimpering and wailing. Even laying down in her daddies big bed, between them, hadn't helped. She would drift off, but then quickly awaken. Her cries woke her sisters. So no-one in the Potter-Malfoy house got much sleep that night.

Harry and Ginny had already offered to babysit the next night, as Al and Scorpius had a Ministry function to attend. As the night before, Ginny Rose struggled to settle, until Harry rocked her to sleep. She clung to him as she had the day he had rescued her. Every time he tried to lay her down, she wouldn't let go. He ended up falling asleep, with Ginny Rose laying atop him.

After that night, any time Ginny Rose woke up, she cried for her grandpa Harry. He was the only one to settle her, and let her get some sleep. After this had gone on for three nights, the whole family were spending the nights at Harry and Ginny's. That way, if the girls slept in, Al and Scorpius could leave them and go to work, knowing they were in a safe, loving environment.

A knock at the door brought Harry and Ginny to the present. Scorpius came in, carrying a tray. Annie followed, carefully carrying the cutlery. Cassie came next, carrying two napkins. Al came in, carrying Ginny Rose.

“Bon Appetit!” he said, smiling. “What are your plans for the day?” he asked.

“Well, we're going to go and see Teddy, Vicky, Dora and Remy at Shell Cottage, before they leave for Paris. They are spending Christmas and New Year with Fleur's family,” said Ginny.

Al nodded in remembrance. “Please give them all our love and best wishes for the season. We'll catch up with them when they return.”

Ginny nodded. “Then I want to go to the Burrow and check on Lily. I know she's still supposed to have another month to go, but I thought she looked a bit peaky when we saw her the other day.”

When Lily had convinced Scorpius she was ready to be a surrogate, she assured him that her and Liam were planning to add to their family, but wanted to do this for him and Al. They already had their son William, six, who was known as Billy. She then gave birth to Cassie, and nearly two years later found herself pregnant with twins. Georgina and Fredricka, known as Gina and Ricki, were soon to turn four.

Lily had declared herself to be done with being pregnant. However, she hadn't counted on her husband Liam's team, the Chudley Cannon's, winning the Quidditch Cup seven and a half months ago. A night of celebration had lead to this pregnancy.

“Okay Mum, well, maybe Scor and I can meet you at the Burrow. I only plan to be in the office till lunchtime, then Scor and I have some last minute shopping to do. We can start setting up for tomorrow with Liam when we get there. Who will be there for Christmas?” asked Al.

“Hmm, let's see, James, Ali, Bradley, Brian and Grace. That's five. You, Scor and the girls, that's another five. Lily, Liam, and their three, that's another five. Ron is coming, as well as Rose, Brandon and their two, so add five more. Hannah and Neville, Draco and Astoria, and your Mum and me. Hmm, let's see, that makes twenty six, doesn't it?” asked Harry, counting on his fingers.

With the Weasley families now so large, it was quite rare for the whole family to get together. The last time had been for Harry and Ginny's thirtieth anniversary. Now, Ginny and her brothers made a concerted effort to always get together in February and October, to remember Arthur and Molly's birthdays.

“Okay Mum, Dad, we'll see you at the Burrow. If you think of anything you need, just send us an owl and we'll pick it up for you. I'm going to have a shower, then Scor and I will head into the Ministry. Girls, be good for Nana and Grandpa,” said Al, putting Ginny Rose on the bed.

She quickly clamoured up the bed to lay on Harry, who cuddled her close. Ginny smiled at the two of them. She then looked at her granddaughters. “Grandpa and I are going to have our breakfast, then we'll get dressed and go to Shell Cottage, okay? Now, Annie, can you please take Cassie, and go and pick out something to wear. Lay it on the bed, and I'll be in soon to help you and Cassie, and brush your hair.”

“Okay Nana, come on Cassie,” said Annie, taking her younger sister by the hand. Ginny smiled at Annie, she was quite a little mother to her younger sisters. Ginny then turned her attention to Ginny Rose, who was cuddled up to Harry, nibbling on his toast. Ginny handed her toast to Harry, who smiled gratefully at her. They finished their breakfast, then Ginny took her youngest granddaughter to get dressed while Harry grabbed a shower.

Harry walked in to the spare bedroom that the girls were sleeping in. He found Ginny brushing Annie's hair, who was brushing Cassie's hair, who was brushing Ginny Rose's hair. Harry wished he had a camera, to capture the image he gazed upon.

Ginny Rose looked up as Harry came in, and she left her sisters and went to him, raising her arms.
“Up, Gwandpa,” she said. Harry chuckled and lifted her into his arms. Ginny smiled, and when finished with the girls hair, went to have her own shower.

Finally, an hour later they were at Shell Cottage. It was too cold for the children to play outside, so the three girls went upstairs to their big cousin, Dora's room. She was eleven, and was home from her first year at Hogwarts for the Christmas holidays. Her brother Remus, nine, had missed her terribly, and he followed the girls up. There she told them all about Hogwarts. She had been sorted into Hufflepuff, like her grandmother Tonks, for whom she had been named.

Teddy and Vicky shared tea and biscuits with Harry and Ginny. They exchanged gifts, and Harry and Ginny gave them gifts for the children to open the next day. While Teddy was away, James would be in charge of the Aurors. Vicky was looking forward to seeing her parents and grandparents. Bill and Fleur now spent most of their time in Paris, as Fleur's parent's health declined.

Ginny Rose soon came back downstairs, and headed straight to Harry. She climbed into his lap, and promptly fell asleep.

Teddy asked softly, “How's she doing?”

Harry sighed. “We thought she was doing well, until she found out last week that Santa will come into her house while everyone is asleep, and leave presents. She's been having nightmares ever since.”

Ginny added, “She's fine during the day, but at night, she clings to Harry. Not that I blame her for that,” she grinned.

Harry shrugged, winking at Teddy. “What can I say, I have a weakness for beautiful females named Ginny.”

Teddy and Vicky laughed, while Ginny leaned over to peck her husband on the cheek. “Good answer,” she whispered.

They stayed for another half an hour, before leaving Teddy and his family to finish packing, and prepare for their Portkey to Paris.

Harry, Ginny and the girls flooed directly to the Burrow. They poured out, Annie immediately going to find Billy, after greeting her aunt and uncle.

Cassie was pounced upon by Ricky and Gina, and left with them to go and see the kittens their family cat, Chudley just had. Ginny Rose toddled after them, stopping back to look at Harry and Ginny.

“Go ahead, we'll be here in the kitchen,” encouraged Harry. She smiled at him, and went after her sister and cousins.

“How are you, Lil?” asked Ginny, kissing her daughter on the cheek. Harry did the same, and they sat at the table that had been at the Burrow since Ginny was little.

“I'm sick of being pregnant, that's how I am. You can tell this one's father plays Quidditch, it's been flying around like crazy the last couple of days. Not that there's much room in there,” she said, rubbing her big belly.

Her husband Liam brought over a cup of tea for her. She smiled gratefully at him. “Tea?” he asked Harry and Ginny.

“Not right now. Al and Scorpius are meeting us here, to help with anything before tomorrow. Are you sure you're still okay to have Christmas lunch here? It's not too late to change it, Lil,” said Ginny, watching Lily in concern.

“Mum, I can't imagine not being here for Christmas Day!” exclaimed Lily. “Besides, I want to show off my new kitchen,” she said, looking around.

Liam and Lily had done a major upgrade on the Burrow, and Ginny liked what they had done. However, with every piece of the old Burrow that was ripped out, it felt like another piece of her childhood gone. Still, it was Lily and Liam's house now. Ginny knew that her mum would have loved the thought that one of her grandchildren was now living in the Burrow, and that there were many children always around. Their family was everything to Molly and Arthur.

“All right then. But you're not to come to ours tonight to decorate the tree. You stay here and rest. And don't plan on lifting a finger tomorrow. With all of us here, you can just plant yourself in the comfy chair near the fire,” said Ginny.

Lily burst into tears. “I broke it. Nana Molly's comfy chair. I broke it because I'm so big. I'm sorry, Mum,” she wailed.

Ginny got out of her chair, and went to comfort Lily. Liam and Harry looked at each other uncomfortably. Liam beckoned Harry to go into the other room.

“Ah, we'll just go and check on the kids, love,” said Liam.

He smiled at Ginny, who nodded. Lily always got quite emotional the last month of her pregnancies, so this was nothing new to the family.

After actually checking on the children, and telling Ginny Rose he was going to the shed, Harry and Liam went outside. All Arthur's Muggle knick knacks were gone, and it was strange to see it tidy. Brooms, skates and toys now dominated the room. Harry missed the messiness. Hell, he still expected to see Molly and Arthur every time he came to the Burrow.

“She's been worse since she broke the chair. The dress that she was going to wear tomorrow doesn't fit. Billy told her he couldn't put his arms around her any more because she was so big. Merlin, I hope the baby comes soon,” said Liam, wiping his brow.

“Did you use the Reparo charm?” asked Harry.

Liam gave him a look. “Of course I did, but it's that old, and it's been Reparo-ed so many times, it just gave up. I've got a new one for her, for Christmas. Al and Scor are picking it up for me today, actually.”

“Do you think it will be too much for her tomorrow? Maybe we should have it somewhere else?” asked Harry.

Liam looked at Harry in horror. “Merlin, don't even suggest not having it here. I suggested it three months ago, and spent the next week sleeping on the couch. You know how Lil likes her traditions. If everyone helps out tomorrow, she really shouldn't have to do too much anyway. Now, how's things with Ginny Rose?”

Harry filled Liam in, and they headed back inside. Al and Scorpius had just arrived, giving Liam a discreet nod. The children ran downstairs to greet the new arrivals. Scorpius picked up Ginny Rose, while Al picked up Cassie. They told their dads what they had been doing since they left this morning.

Annie wandered over and sat on Ginny's knee, She saw her aunt Lily was upset, and she held her hand. Lily smiled at her niece through her tears.

“Harry, maybe while everyone's here, you and I could go to Godric's Hollow now,” suggested Ginny.

“Good idea, Gin,” said Harry, coming to stand behind Ginny and putting his hands on her shoulders.

“Then we can go home and put up the tree. How about we do it early, before tea. Then we can have an early night,” said Harry. “Lil, Liam, can we borrow your kids to help us. I'm sure you'd like some time together, before we all descend on you tomorrow. It would only be an hour or two. James, Ali and their kids are coming over, as are Al, Scor and the girls.”

Liam looked gratefully at Harry, then at Lily, who nodded. “Sounds great, thanks Harry. We can certainly use the time to do some last minute gift wrapping, can't we Lil,” said Liam. “Meantime, we need help decorating our tree. Hmm, who can help us?”

“Me, me, Uncle Liam, I want to help,” cried Cassie and Ginny Rose.

“Us too, Dad.” said Billy.

“I'll stay here with Auntie Lil,” said Annie.

Liam kissed the top of her head. “Thanks, sweetie. Lil, me and the kids will go get the decorations from the attic. You're in good hands with Annie.”

With the children chatting excitedly, Liam and the children went upstairs. Annie and Lily waved goodbye to Harry and Ginny as they headed out.

Harry and Ginny left the Burrow, Apparating to Godric's Hollow. They greeted the new Minister of the church, and lit a candle in remembrance of all the family and friends that had passed. Holding hands, they made their way to the cemetery.

As they made their way to the familiar tombstones, they realised someone else was already there.

“Hagrid, my friend, it's so good to see you,” greeted Harry, hugging him. Ginny did the same.

“'Arry, Ginny, it's so good to see you. Been awhile? How's the family?” asked Hagrid.

As Ginny brought him up to date with all the family, Harry lay the wreath on his parents graves, Sirius's memorial stone, and one for the Lupin's. He saw that Teddy must have been here earlier, before they had left for Paris. Hagrid had likewise placed small bouquets on each site.

“Forget-me-nots,” sniffed Hagrid, at Harry's query. Harry nodded, smiling sadly. He suddenly realised that Hagrid must be the last of the original Order of the Phoenix.

“Hagrid, will you come and celebrate Christmas with us tomorrow at the Burrow? It will be just our family, and in-laws. Oh, Ron, Rose and her family will be there too. Please say you'll come?” asked Ginny.

“Aw, I'm not sure, Ginny, I don't get out too much these days. Professor McGonagall has let me move back into me old cabin on the school grounds. I like to keep to myself. There's not many that know old Hagrid any more,” he said sadly.

Harry and Ginny shared a look of worry. Harry stepped forward. “Hagrid, you were my first friend in the wizarding world; you are one of my last living link to my parents. You are my friend, and you are family. Please Hagrid, come to lunch at the Burrow. My kids would love to see you, and their kids will be going to Hogwarts soon enough. You'd have so many stories you could tell them.”

Ginny stood next to Harry. “And if you don't come to lunch, then Harry and I will come to Hogwarts with left overs for tea. Either way, you won't spend Christmas alone tomorrow, okay?” she asked gently.

Hagrid nodded, too overcome with emotion to speak. He took a minute to compose himself.

“So, how's that little one going, now that abduction business is done with?” he asked.

Harry and Ginny followed Hagrid out of the cemetery, telling him about Ginny Rose. Hagrid listened, then came up with an idea.. Together the three put it all together, and Hagrid agreed to see them later. He departed, shuffling down the main road of Godric's Hollow. Harry and Ginny sadly watched him go.

“So, what do you think of his idea?” asked Harry, tucking Ginny's arm in his and setting off for the Apparition point.

“I think it's a good one, I just worry that Hagrid's size alone might frighten her. Still, if Grandpa is there with her, she'll be fine,” teased Ginny, kissing his cheek.

Harry stopped and turned to face her. He put his hands on her face and held them there while he kissed her passionately.

“Wow, I don't know what I did to deserve that, but please tell me, so I can do it again,” smirked Ginny.

“If this plan works, it will be the first night in a week or so that we will have the bed to ourselves all night. You do remember our Christmas traditions, don't you Gin?” asked Harry, huskily. He nuzzled her neck

She pulled away, grabbed his hand, and dragged him toward the Apparition point.

“What's the hurry?” teased Harry.

Ginny stopped to face him, that blazing look in her eyes. “Harry, we will do everything possible to make sure this plan works tonight, understand?”

Harry laughed, took her hand, and together they hurried to the Apparition point.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129869