Healer of his Heart by Pottermum



Summary: Ginny returns to England, nursing a bruised heart, and intent on focussing on her career. Then she meets Harry Potter.
Rating: R starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2015.02.14
Updated: 2015.03.24


Healer of his Heart by Pottermum
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

It was a beautiful Tuesday morning in June when twenty year old Ginny Weasley happily left St Mungo's. She'd just come from a meeting with her future clients, and it had all gone well. All the women had seemed interested in what Ginny had to say, and were happy with the plans that Ginny had laid out. All but one of the ladies had made an individual bookings with her to discuss things further, and they all wanted to continue with the group meetings. This was something that Ginny actively encouraged and looked forward to herself.

Now, all she had to do was set up the cottage the way she wanted it. If Ron and his friends came over as he said they would, and helped her set up over the weekend, then by Monday, she would be all set for her first appointment.

Since she was feeling so happy, Ginny thought she might indulge in some retail therapy. She wasn't a huge shopper, having been brought up with not much money, but today felt like an occasion to celebrate. Maybe something for the cottage, or maybe something just for her. Who knew!

Ginny set off at a jaunt. She was just deciding whether to go to Diagon Alley, or hit Muggle London, when she noticed two older men push their way through the people on the sidewalks. They appeared to be in a hurry. Oh well. She rummaged in her bag for her sunglasses, looking as she walked.

“Miss Weasley? Ginny Weasley?”

Ginny spun around, and when the two men charged towards her, she had to contain the impulse to run. Her fingers slipped around the wand in her bag, keeping it close.

“Yes, I'm Ginny,” she answered them hesitantly.

By now they were upon her. Ginny once again cursed her petite frame. These men weren't overly tall, but still towered over her. Ginny sensed no danger in them. The taller of the two seemed older, more bookish, kind of like a professor type. The other one seemed like a wild one, with charm. The smile he threw at her now confirmed that fact.

“We want to hire you for our nephew,” he said.

“Your nephew?” echoed Ginny.

Her fingers had found the sunglasses and she pulled them out of her bag and placed them on her head. She sighed. Guys looking to hire a masseuse. For another guy. Obviously some people thought she hired herself out for services above and beyond massaging. With a shake of her head, she walked away.

“We got your name from St Mungo's, they said you were young and upcoming, and with some new brilliant ideas. That's what we need for Ha- our nephew,” said the wild one.

“Guys, I don't know what to say. Surely they told you I'm now only working with expectant mothers and babies?”

“We did some checking, and we know you used to do regular people while you were training in Paris. The hospital said you were one of the best they'd ever seen. Our nephew is a special situation, so we hoped you might consider making an exception for him. Please?”

The anguish in the older man's voice made Ginny pause for a couple of seconds. Then her heart hardened. There was no way she was taking on an adult male. Her heart had been shaken too hard from a close encounter with the wrong kind, and it had taken her a long while to recover. She didn't want to set herself up for anything more right now.

“I'm sorry guys, but I've just booked myself solid for the next few weeks. Come Monday, I'll be so busy, I won't know what day it is,” she told them.

“That's fine. That means you're available now. Please, can't you just come and see him?” begged the wild man.

They followed beside her, trying to break her down. They were actually starting to unravel her, because Ginny was beginning to actually like them. Their concern for their nephew was obvious, and they weren't above offering her bribes. The wilder one poured on the charm, while the older man dealt with the facts.

“Look guys, I just don't do regular physical therapy any more. It sounds like your nephew has some special kind of problems. I really don't have any qualifications that can help him.”

“Yes, he's seen lots of doctors. They've sent him to psychiatrists and psychologists, Muggle and Magical. We need to try something different. We need fresh ideas, a new outlook. If you'd just come over and see Cub-”

By now Ginny had worked out that professor man was Moony, and the wild man was Padfoot. Their nephew was Cub. No explanations for these crazy names were forthcoming, and none was asked for.

“Look, if I thought I could help you, I probably would. You both seem like nice guys, and I can tell you're worried for Cub. But I can't help him. I'm sorry.”

“Just come and meet him,” said Padfoot.

“I can't,” said Ginny.

“We haven't even explained what he's been through yet. At least listen, and then if you can't help, you can't. We're just asking you to try,” said Moony.

“Guys, I can't,” said Ginny.

“One meeting. We'll pay you a hundred galleons for half an hour, how's that? I swear, as a Marauder, if you can't help, we'll never bother you again. My word,” said Padfoot, seriously.

Ginny looked at him, and just knew he would stand by that vow, not that she knew what he meant about being a Marauder. She was caving. Rarely had she ever met any one who was as stubborn as she was, but these two were whining, and being charming, and bribing her. She adored them for their effort.

“I'm sorry, guys. No,” said Ginny firmly, walking away.

Two hours later, her good mood had gone. She had tried to continue with her planned shopping, but couldn't get the two men out of her head. She ended up wandering aimlessly, and that wasn't something Ginny enjoyed doing. She Apparated home to the cottage, but now, instead of seeing her future plans and feeling optimistic, Ginny only saw the work ahead that the cottage needed.

She potted around, trying to get the men out of her head. Finally, in exasperation, she went and grabbed her bag. She pulled out the dog toy Padfoot had given her, remembering what he had said.

“It's a Portkey. If you change your mind, activate it. When you arrive, you'll need to look at this bit of paper. I-I hope you change your mind, and agree to help us, Ginny. I really feel like your our best hope.”

Ginny sighed. 'Well, a girl is allowed to change her mind, right? I'll go and check it all out, then come home. What's the harm? He's just a guy!' she thought to herself.

Ginny liked guys. She had six brothers, after all, so she'd been around them all her life. She even tended to get on better with guys rather than girls. She didn't understand the need for all the primping and gossiping.

But then she'd met Josh. He'd been referred to her boss for physical therapy. He was a Quidditch player, recovering from an injury. As Ginny had been concluding her training, he'd been handed over to her for several sessions. Right off, he'd judged Ginny as a sensualist, a woman who loved to touch. He'd loved those qualities in her.

So he'd said.

Ginny shook her head to rid herself of the painful memories. She'd left Paris and returned home to London. Her life was on an uphill track, and she didn't want to do anything to unsettle that.

Again she hesitated. From what Padfoot and Moony had told her, Cub had been through a terrible ordeal. It sounded like he was suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. It was sad and awful. But Ginny had no knowledge or skills to help someone in that situation. With deep misgivings, Ginny activated the Portkey.

She whizzed away, coming to a halt somewhere in the city. She sensed she was near Kings Cross Station. Remembering Padfoot's second bit of advice, she looked at the piece of paper balled up in her hand.

“Sirius Black lives at number twelve, Grimmauld Place,” muttered Ginny. She looked up.

Within minutes, the group of three apartments had expanded to include another one. A light flicked on. Before she could change her mind, Ginny headed for the door. As she reached it, it opened.

Padfoot was waiting for her in the entry hall. “Thank you for coming. I'll pay you right now.”

“Oh, shut up. That kind of money is ridiculous. I told you I don't do bribes. I also don't do miracles, understand?” she stated.

“That's not what we heard,” said Moony, coming down the hall to greet her.

“Well, you heard wrong. This is so out of my league. But I'm here, and I'm holding you to your vow, got it?” asked Ginny, looking at Padfoot.

He nodded solemnly. Ginny looked at Moony, who also nodded.

“I'm Sirius, and this is Remus. Come in, please,” gestured Sirius, gesturing down the hall.

Ginny moved along. This house was obviously old, had probably been the family home for a long time, Ginny supposed. She thought of the Burrow, her childhood home. It was quite far removed from this place.

“So, Cub?” asked Ginny.

Sirius and Remus exchanged a nervous look. Remus shook his head slightly, causing Sirius to nod in reluctant acceptance.

“He's in the lounge. Through there,” pointed Remus.

Ginny looked at them for several seconds, then nodded and left. From what she'd seen, it looked like the house had been freshly painted. As she peered around into the lounge, her immediate thought was that it was a man's room; it lacked a woman's touch. It was all dark furniture, with hardwood floors. Heavy rugs covered the floor, and a bar stood in the corner. The smell of firewhiskey was in the air.

At first she didn't see him. Even so, she let out a sigh of relief. The threat that had worried her, that she would care about a man who would hurt her again, who would form preconceptions about her and her profession, that wasn't going to happen with this man.

She sensed his mood. She could feel it pulsating in the room. She couldn't help, but let her healing powers out. This man wasn't going to hurt her, or even care about her. Just one look at him had Ginny's heart fill up with deepest compassion. The hurt coming off this man was almost unbearable for her. She could only imagine how it was for him.

She moved closer.

He lay on the lounge, an arm over his eyes. His dark hair was messy, as if he had run his hands through it a lot. In frustration; despair? His shirt and jeans hung off him, as though he hadn't eaten a meal in ages.

He removed his arm, and for a brief second their eyes met. His beautiful emerald eyes were dead, showing no emotion. He put his arm back over his eyes.

He didn't acknowlege her. He simply called out, “Moony. Padfoot. Get her out of here.”

He didn't yell. He wasn't rude. It was just cold and exhausted.

Sirius emerged in the doorway. “Take it easy, Harry. We just wanted you to have a talk with Ginny, here.”

Ginny suddenly realised why the man had seemed familiar. Merlin's beard. He was Harry Potter.

Harry may have been the younger of the three men, and certainly right now, the weakest. Yet he came across as the authority figure of the three.

“Forget it. All of you, just get out. Leave me alone.”

Ginny almost found it amusing, seeing the two older men wilt.

She took a step closer to him. She suddenly realised that Harry hadn't even really looked at her since that first quick glimpse. Or his uncles. His eyes were smudged with weariness. He spoke in a low voice, laden with pain. Ginny now knew why the place was so dark. Light made the pain worse.

She shooed Sirius and Remus out. “Just let me talk to Harry for a minute, okay?”

Remus sighed. “Maybe we were wrong. I don't know if it's a good idea, leaving you alone with him.”

“I'll be fine. Go,” she said, shooing them out.

They warily agreed to give her a short time. They left, shutting the door. Ginny turned around, and found herself caught in the glare of angry, gleaming emerald eyes.

Ginny relaxed. Nice guys she had to worry about. This tortured, sullen man, she could handle in her sleep.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129926