Aphrodite's Destiny: Love Changes Everything by Mistress_Lrigtar



Summary: When nearly ten-year old Ginny Weasley brews a love potion with her best friend, Luna Lovegood, the results are nothing like what she expects them to be. She soon finds that not only has her life been irrevocably changed, but that of the boy she has always dreamed of, Harry Potter. They have unknowingly entered into the strongest and rarest of all bonds, the Spiritual Bond, and unlike other bonds, it is unbreakable. Follow both Ginny and Harry on their journey as they navigate the road of friendship and true love.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Aphrodite's Destiny
Published: 2015.04.03
Updated: 2015.11.14


Aphrodite's Destiny: Love Changes Everything by Mistress_Lrigtar
Chapter 1: Chapter One - The Burrow
Author's Notes:

‘Aphrodite, goddess of love,
One who watches from far above.
Show me that which is to be my fate;
Reveal the face of my soul mate.’


As the last word rolled off her tongue, Ginny drank the contents of the goblet in one gulp before she lost her nerve.

“Luna,” she began, but her mouth felt like it was suddenly full of cotton and she could no longer produce intelligible words. Luna’s image blurred in front of her, and the last thing Ginny thought she saw was her friend reaching out for her from a very long distance before Ginny’s knees buckled and she crumpled to the floor.

******


Harry did not want to be sick, and rolling onto his side, he drew his knees up in a foetal position hoping it would subside. The last thought he had before he passed out was of how angry his uncle was going to be when he came home from work and discovered Harry hadn’t been able to finish his chores.

******


“Soul mate,” Harry repeated. “Is that what you are?”

Ginny blushed furiously and looked down at her knees. “I — I don’t know. I’m starting to think the potion may have awakened something within us. I’m so sorry! My mum punished me for playing with magic I didn’t understand, but Luna had assured me it was just a silly potion. Nothing like this happening was mentioned at all!”

******

Harry looked around the room at the two professors, Ginny’s parents and then the girl herself, who looked as confounded as he did, before returning his gaze to the goblin, Adoyrak. “Who’s my wife?”

Adoyrak peered over at Harry before pulling his golden pocket watch out and flipping it open, twisting a few dials on the side. He lifted the top most parchment off the pile on his desk and consulted it as well. “At precisely 12:36 pm this afternoon, Wednesday, July 31, 1991 Ginevra Molly Weasley and Harry James Potter were united in spiritual matrimony. Ginevra is your wife, Mr. Potter.”


And now the continuation of Aphrodite's Destiny.....

hghghghg ghghghgh


Harry sat at the scrubbed wood table in the kitchen of The Burrow feeling distinctly uncomfortable as the unintelligible sounds of the Hogwarts professors and the Weasleys arguing drifted in from the sitting room. In the corner of the kitchen sat a gleaming cage containing a snowy white owl that Hagrid had enthusiastically thrust upon Harry when he arrived at the Weasley home, exclaiming a bright ‘Happy Birthday’ despite the look Molly Weasley had been sending the jovial groundskeeper. Hagrid had appeared to be completely oblivious to the cloud hanging in the air and Harry had hesitantly accepted the birthday gift, mumbling a subdued ‘thank you, Hagrid’ despite the elation his heart was feeling.

After all, it was the first proper birthday present he had ever received. Mrs Weasley had been most displeased with the display and Harry had the distinct feeling that she did not think he should be rewarded after what he had apparently done to her only daughter. She had herded them all inside and left Harry and Ginny in the kitchen under the watchful eyes of her four sons, all of whom were now staring at Harry as if he had grown a second head.

The youngest, who he deduced was near his age, gaped unabashedly at Harry's lightening bolt scar, causing him to self-consciously brush at his fringe to hide it. The disappointment on the boy’s face was palpable, but Harry didn’t care. Ever since he had set foot in Diagon Alley, everyone he had encountered had stared at him in much the same fashion and he had been grateful for Hagrid’s presence. Unfortunately, as soon as Hagrid had presented him with the owl, Professor Dumbledore had taken the groundskeeper aside, received the small package Hagrid had retrieved from Gringotts and sent him back to Hogwarts. If it hadn’t been for Ginny, Harry was certain he would have been a nervous wreck by now.

Ginny sat next to him, glaring across the table at her four brothers, and even though Harry wasn’t touching her, her ire was so great he could feel it seeping into him. It felt strange to be nervous, uncomfortable, and irrationally angry at the same time. He tried to ignore the alien feelings he was certain weren’t his own, but it was proving extremely difficult.

“Stop staring, you gits!” Ginny finally barked, making all five boys at the table jump. “Harry, these are my brothers, Percy, Fred, George, and Ron, and I apologize for how rude they are being.”

“So, you’re the Harry Potter, then?” Fred piped up, ignoring his sister.

“I’m just Harry Potter,” Harry said quietly.

“Are you having us on?” George guffawed. “Every witch and wizard our age has grown up hearing all about you.”

Harry glanced nervously over at Ginny who smiled weakly back at him and he couldn’t help but notice the slight tinge of red that graced her cheeks. Her anger was fading and quickly being replaced by embarrassment, which he couldn’t understand either.

“Ginny’s been mad over you ever since she heard the tale,” Ron blurted out before jerking back and howling in pain. Ginny was shooting daggers across the table at him. Harry stared over at Ron. There was a tale about him? This day was becoming increasingly more like the stuff of dreams with every passing moment.

“What tale?” Harry asked, looking from the four boys and then over towards Ginny who was redder than she had been before. Her mortification would have been clear even if Harry hadn’t been able to share it as his own.

“About how you defeated You-Know-Who,” George answered, “when you were only a baby.”

“You must be pretty powerful to have done that,” Fred remarked, making Harry distinctly more uncomfortable with the way he and George were now eyeing him.

“What exactly did you do to our sister in Diagon Alley, Harry?” Percy asked, peering intently at Harry through his horn-rimmed glasses. Harry adjusted his own battered glasses nervously and stared back at him. Of the four boys, he was the most intimidating and Harry shook his head mutely, unable to answer.

“He didn’t do anything, Percy!” Ginny spat.

“How were you frozen, then, Ginny?” Percy asked, and much to Harry’s relief turned his questioning look upon her. “You should know Mum was beside herself.”

“As you can see, I’m perfectly all right,” Ginny groused.

“What’s he here for, then?” Fred asked, sending Harry a very threatening look, reminiscent of Dudley, and Harry involuntarily cringed against the back of his chair.

“That’s right,” Fred observed, rising in his seat to lean across the table. “You should be scared.”

“Leave him alone!” Ginny screeched, jumping up so suddenly, she sent her chair clattering backwards onto the floor. Shame flooded through Harry at allowing a girl to defend him, even for a moment, and steeling himself, he rose as well, gazing steadily at George.

“It’s all right, Ginny,” Harry said quietly. “He’s right, I am scared.”

All four boys gaped at his admission, their anger diminishing somewhat to be replaced by curiosity. Ginny shifted her gaze to him as well, and Harry took some comfort from her warm, chocolate brown eyes that filled with understanding.

“I’m scared,” Harry continued, “because I don’t have any idea what is going on. Before today, magic was only something I had read about in books. I had no idea it was actually real.” His legs shook with fear and exhaustion and Harry pressed his thighs against the table in an effort to mask the weakness. Dudley had always been able to sense when he was at his weakest and those times had always been the worst. The three oldest Weasleys still looked ready to beat him to a pulp; only the youngest appeared torn between his curiosity and his anger.

“Then it was accidental magic today,” Percy mused, his threatening stance subsiding as he mulled over the idea.

“No, it wasn’t accidental,” Ginny informed her brothers.

“So, it was intentional,” Fred insisted.

“No,” both Ginny and Harry answered at the same time.

“So, what was that in Diagon Alley, then?” George asked. “It was bloody strange, and like Percy said, Mum was mental, especially after that goblin left.”

Harry’s heart was beating nervously in his chest and he felt like he was going to explode. He wasn’t certain how much more he could take out of this day and the thought of mustering any more energy to deal with Ginny’s brothers, who appeared to be as protective as her mother, was more than he could bear. Ginny instantly sensed his distress and firmly took hold of his hand, eliciting shocked looks from the four sets of brown and blue eyes staring at them.

“Neither one of us knows,” Ginny stated. “Quite honestly, both Harry and I are just as confused as the four of you. Now, if you don’t mind, we are going out on the back steps for a bit of fresh air.” Tugging on Harry’s hand, she led him towards the back door and outside into the blessedly quiet garden.

Ginny sat down on the top step and pulled Harry down next to her before releasing his hand. Harry was extremely grateful to be away from the probing eyes and questions of Ginny’s brothers. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw that they were all hovering at the window by the door, peering out at him and Ginny. Percy’s eyes were narrowed in suspicion and one of the twins, Fred, Harry thought, shook his fist towards Harry behind Percy’s back. Harry quickly turned away to look at the garden instead.

The grass was dry, brittle, a light green, and vastly different from the grass in the meadow he and Ginny had just visited a few hours ago. It now all seemed like a dream and Harry was beginning to question if it had even happened. However, Molly Weasley’s raised voice drifted out a window of The Burrow and he sighed greatly, because even if the meadow wasn’t real, Ginny’s mother’s dismay and ire were.

Ginny sniffed beside him and looking over, he saw that she was crying softly.

“Please don’t cry, Ginny,” he said, not knowing how to comfort a crying girl in the slightest. Most of the girls in his primary school had avoided him like the plague. One day Dudley had caught Harry talking to a girl in their class named Norma, and had shouted for everyone to hear on the playground that he had just seen her pick her nose and eat the bogie because her family was too poor to afford real food. Of course, Norma had been mortified and Harry had tried his best to comfort her. It had only made things worse and by the end of recess she had blamed him.

He could still remember how Dudley had gloated all the way home, attempting to make him angry. Of course, he had been succeeding and it had taken all of Harry’s will power not to turn on his much larger cousin and punch him. Instead, he had silently seethed, thinking of all the things he wished he could do to his cousin to make him pay. He hadn’t noticed when Dudley’s continuous goading had stopped and been replaced by his Aunt Petunia screaming from the front stoop of Number Four Privet Drive before rushing to her son’s side. Harry had turned around slowly to find Dudley’s face completely covered in a greenish-yellow slime. At first, he hadn’t been able to figure out what the disgusting goop was, but he had soon realized it was mucus and it had been coming from his cousin’s nose.

Harry had gaped like a fish at the sight until his aunt’s livid and very purple face was directly in front of his, screaming that it was his fault before dragging him and Dudley inside the house.

Everything was always his fault, including what had happened today. He avoided looking at Ginny, even though her crying was considerably louder. He sincerely hoped her brothers didn’t notice because Harry was quite certain he didn’t stand a chance against the four of them. Perhaps he should run away, but as soon as the thought crossed his mind, he remembered what had happened in Adoyrak’s office and realized that would be impossible. He was stuck here and unfortunately, that meant Ginny was stuck with him.

“I am so sorry,” Ginny sniffled beside him. “This is my fault! You must hate me.”

Harry looked over at her in shock. “No. I was just thinking the same thing, only about myself. Everything is always my fault.”

Ginny shook her head. “Oh, Harry.” She looked back at him and the tears clinging to her lashes sparkled in the late afternoon sunlight like diamonds. “So, what do we do now?”

Harry felt her uncertainty mingling with his own. “I don’t know. It seems like your mum and dad and the professors are trying to figure that out for us.” He thought that he and Ginny should have some say in what happened to them. Perhaps they should go back inside and join the discussion, but he didn’t particularly relish the idea of facing Ginny’s brothers and parents again.

“My brothers really are nice, Harry,” she said in response to his unspoken misgivings.

He nodded uncertainly. “How are they going to feel about us being married?”

“I’m not sure," Ginny’s eyes filled with worry. "How do you feel about that?”

Harry looked down at his too large and scuffed trainers. The rubber was peeling away from the toes from all the times he had tripped over his feet. It was obvious that the Weasleys didn’t have a lot of money, but Ginny was well cared for and once again he felt completely inadequate. Not to mention that he didn’t know the first thing about being married or even what that meant for the two of them. The idea of marriage was so completely foreign to him, since until today he had never thought much about his future past ways to avoid his aunt’s and uncle’s wrath.

“I have no idea,” he answered truthfully. “What about you?”

Ginny smiled tentatively through her tears. “I don’t know. I mean, I pretended when I was little, but I imagine that doesn’t count.”

“I don’t suppose so,” Harry agreed. “I didn’t really understand most of what Adoyrak was talking about.”

“Me neither.”

Harry glanced over at her shyly. “So, I haven't pretended too much. What did you do when you pretended you were married?”

Ginny’s cheeks flushed pink and she averted her gaze. “Er, I usually would set up some dolls around a table and have tea parties, that sort of thing, but that was when I was five.”

“Oh,” Harry said and then perked up. “That sounds about right, though. My aunt would have her friends over for tea all the time while my uncle was at work.”

“I doubt my mum is going to let us have tea parties anytime soon,” Ginny glumly admitted.

Harry thought that more than likely that was very true and upon further reflection also thought there was probably a lot more to being married than having tea parties. However, he was not in the right frame of mind to even contemplate what that really meant. From the way Mrs Weasley had reacted to the news, he could only deduce that the two of them having tea parties was the least of her worries.

That thought led him back to wondering what the adults could be discussing and the desire to find out first hand.

“Maybe we should go back inside,” he suggested. “Regardless of how confused we may be, I think we have a right to know what they are discussing.”

He stood up and waited patiently for Ginny to as well. When she did, he was surprised when she took his hand once again. Almost immediately some of the tension he was feeling abated and he felt a little bit stronger.

“I — I feel better when I hold your hand,” she whispered. “Even though we are in a mess, I’m really glad you’re here, Harry.”

“Me, too,” Harry assured her. Taking a deep breath, they headed back inside.

hghghghg ghghghgh


Arthur Weasley sat in his favourite armchair in the sitting room of The Burrow trying to figure out how his day had turned so completely upside down. Before Fawkes had arrived with the urgent message from Albus Dumbledore, he had been preparing to take a long lunch. He had planned to Apparate to Hyde Park for a bit of his favourite pastime; Muggle watching. Muggles were such fascinating beings and were able to come up with such extraordinary creations to compensate for the lack of magic in their lives. Listening to Molly and Albus argue over what was to be done with Ginny and Harry made Arthur wonder if perhaps it would be nice to live in ignorant bliss, as the Muggles appeared to do. He doubted very much if Muggles had to concern themselves with their nearly ten-year-old daughters soul bonding with strange eleven-year-old boys.

Molly sat on the edge of the floral print chair she sat in every evening to knit, intent on extracting every last bit of information Albus Dumbledore may have regarding soul bonds. Professor McGonagall sat beside the headmaster on the threadbare burgundy couch, and looked very much how Arthur felt, as if a Bludger had just slammed into her abdomen.

“Albus,” Molly started, pulling the wilted yellow buttercups from her robe pocket. “Please tell me how this is possible? These grow on the hillside behind the house, and part of me still wants to believe that is where Ginny picked them, but she seemed so certain.”

“That’s because she was and is certain,” Albus replied. “Those appeared to be freshly picked when she presented them to you.”

“They were,” Molly agreed. “Albus, how serious is this situation? Adoyrak made it sound like life or death.”

Albus settled his elbows on his knees, steepled his fingers together and looked grimly between Arthur, Molly, and Professor McGonagall. “Unfortunately, as was made evident by Harry’s and Ginny’s violent reactions when you attempted to depart Gringotts this afternoon, I have to agree with Adoyrak.”

“So, their lives are in danger?” Arthur asked, leaning forward in his seat as well.

“Only if we attempt to separate them again,” Albus concurred. “This, of course, brings up another complication which is the fact that Harry is supposed to begin Hogwarts in the fall.”

“And just how do you suggest he do that?” Molly asked in surprise.

“It would be possible if you allowed Ginny to attend as well,” Albus suggested.

Arthur jerked his head towards the headmaster in surprise. He knew if he wasn’t ready for Ginny to attend Hogwarts, there was no possibility of his wife agreeing to that preposterous suggestion. Ginny was their baby. It was hard enough watching the last of their boys, Ron, leave the nest let alone allowing Ginny to start school a whole year sooner.

“Absolutely not!” Molly bristled. “She is not ready for that.”

“I think you are already discovering that you do not give Ginny as much credit as she deserves,” Albus reminded Molly and Arthur wished he could have warned the headmaster that he was playing with fire.

“Whether you think she is ready is beside the point,” Molly seethed. “She is my child and I am telling you she will not be attending Hogwarts this year.”

“Albus,” Professor McGonagall intervened. “We couldn’t possibly accommodate them. Any special quarters we created would cause undue suspicion amongst the student body.”

Albus sighed deeply as he nodded his agreement with this statement and looked between Molly and Arthur. “Are you prepared to care for the two of them over the next year?”

Molly puffed her breath out in exasperation. “I’ve raised six boys to date. I may still be in shock over this entire situation, but I think I am more than prepared, Albus.”

“The bulk of the responsibility will lie with you to prepare them so they may attend Hogwarts next year,” Albus continued. “I will endeavour, with your permission, to send tutors when I can to aide them in both strengthening and concealing the bond. It is a great advantage to us that the Ministry does not yet recognize their union, nor is it likely to do so anytime soon. Gringotts has no reason to divulge the information, nor is any outside source going to inquire about it.”

Arthur cleared his throat uncomfortably. “But, technically, regardless of whether the Ministry acknowledges the bond, Ginny and Harry are married?”

“Yes,” Albus answered simply.

“I don’t think either Molly or I need to tell you how troubling that notion is,” Arthur remarked.

“Do not think of it in normal terms of being married,” Albus explained. “They are not ready mentally or physically for the kind of connotation one would normally associate with marriage. At this moment, this bonding signifies nothing more to them than a closer connection to a good friend. I think it would be best to treat them as normally as possible. The less you make of it the better it will be for you and for them.”

“There’s no getting around the fact that they can hardly be separated, Albus,” Molly acidly remarked.

Albus chuckled. “True, but I am sure you can accommodate them in a chaste manner fitting for their ages. Separate beds in the same room should suffice, don’t you think?”

“In our room,” Molly huffed and Arthur silently agreed.

“Whatever you feel is best, Molly,” Albus replied. “As I have said, the sooner we can begin work on strengthening the bond, the sooner they will be able to function independently of one another.”

“Ginny and I think we have a right to know what you are discussing,” a determined voice announced before Molly could respond to the headmaster.

Arthur turned, surprised to see Harry and Ginny standing in the doorway of the sitting room hand-in-hand and looking extremely scared and yet unwavering at the same time. He was not ready to see his daughter on the cusp of womanhood, and he most definitely was not ready for her to have a boyfriend, let alone a husband. She was still his little girl, who needed him when she skinned an elbow or knee or for him to occasionally read to her at night if she wasn’t feeling well. In the blink of an eye he felt those moments slipping away from him and irrationally, like his wife, he wanted to blame the boy standing next to her who had just spoken.

However, not knowing Harry’s background excepting what Ginny had revealed in Adoyrak’s office, Arthur had to admire the boy to have even an ounce of courage to stand up to a roomful of strange adults. Just from outward appearance alone, it was clear the Muggles, whose care Harry had been under, had neglected him horribly. Regardless of all of that, Arthur’s first priority had to be for the welfare of his own daughter.

He glanced over at Molly who was gazing at the two children with narrowed eyes. “You two are supposed to be resting in the kitchen with your brothers, Ginny,” Molly admonished.

“Those gits were threatening Harry,” Ginny said protectively of her new companion. It was the same tone of voice she used when the boys made fun of Luna Lovegood and Ginny came to the defence of her odd but faithful best friend.

“I am sure they were not,” Molly reprimanded firmly, staring hard at Ginny. Arthur knew his wife did not like seeing Ginny holding Harry’s hand any more than he did and was attempting to convey her displeasure silently. However, Ginny was very much her mother’s daughter and she stared back defiantly and if Arthur was not mistaken, squeezed Harry’s hand tighter. Harry winced from the apparent pressure, and Arthur would have laughed aloud if he weren’t so dismayed by the day’s events.

“They were too!” Ginny retorted, stamping her foot in punctuation.

“Ginny,” Harry warned quietly and Arthur watched in amazement as his daughter deflated nearly as quickly as she had exploded. He’d never seen anyone have that effect on her, not even Luna, and he had no idea what to make of it.

“Well,” Albus interjected. “I think Harry and Ginny are correct. They have every right to know what it is we are discussing.”

Arthur settled back into his favourite armchair while Ginny pulled Harry into the room and was about to sit on the hearthrug when Albus cleared his throat in apology.

“It would appear we have taken all the seats,” he said and pulling his wand from his sleeve waved it by the children. Harry jumped a foot to the side, his eyes widening in surprise as a small purple velvet settee twinkled into view and plopped on the hearthrug in front of them. Arthur observed as Harry touched the arm of the settee, his jaw dropping in disbelief that a solid object could just appear out of thin air. Ginny nudged him gently as she sat down and he tentatively took a seat next to her.

“Now,” Albus continued after the children were settled. “Harry, you are supposed to start school in a month; however, with the current state of the bond between yourself and Ginny, I fear that may not be possible.”

Harry’s face fell at this news and Ginny’s brow furrowed in despair.

“It is not a reason to become dismayed,” Albus said kindly. “It also means you will not be returning to Privet Drive, Harry. From the reports I have received from Hagrid and Professor McGonagall, I think we can agree this is for the best. You will be staying here at The Burrow with Ginny and her parents.”

A look of unfathomable relief filled Harry’s bright green eyes as this information sank in and Arthur again had to wonder what the boy’s life had been like before today. He would have to ask Albus about it after the dust had settled.

“Now, it is growing late and I am sure the two of you must be exhausted after the day’s events,” Albus said, effectively ending any further discussion. “Professor McGonagall and I will take leave of you. However, before I depart, Arthur, if you would be so kind as to escort me around the perimeter of your property, I would very much like to check that the wards are in place.”

Arthur nodded and rose from his seat. Harry remained frozen to his spot on the settee and it would appear that Ginny was somehow attempting to console him without using any words. The sight was baffling to Arthur and as he led the two professors to the door, Harry visibly sagged against the arm of the chair in weary relief. Molly had also risen and was fussing over Ginny and to some extent Harry.

Arthur headed out the back door and down the garden path, followed closely by Albus and Professor McGonagall. When they reached the garden gate, they stepped out into the lane and turned to face The Burrow. The windows glowed warmly in the waning evening light and it looked deceptively peaceful.

“Minerva,” Albus said. “Thank you for your help today. Your presence, as always, was a well needed rock.”

“I did little, Albus,” Minerva replied before turning to Arthur. “Arthur, I wish you luck in the upcoming months, but I know that if anyone is up to the task at hand, it is you.”

“Thank you, Minerva,” Arthur murmured, glad for her vote of confidence even if he still felt completely out of his element.

“I’ll return to Hogwarts, Albus, and be in my office if you have any further need of me this evening,” Minerva said.

Albus nodded his head and the headmistress promptly twisted on the spot and disappeared with a small pop. Without another word, Albus withdrew his wand and began walking along the fence line, while Arthur followed closely behind.

“We need to work diligently on strengthening the bond between Harry and Ginny,” Albus said after a few moments. “When I return to Hogwarts this evening I will begin researching ways to do this safely. The sooner Harry and Ginny are able to be separated from one another the better.”

“Why is that?” Arthur pressed.

“As you work in the Ministry,” Albus said. “I do not think I need remind you what would happen if the Department of Mysteries discovered Harry’s and Ginny’s connection. A soul bond such as theirs has not been recorded in over a thousand years.”

“They’d be studied,” Arthur answered.

“Not to mention, if any of Lord Voldemort’s remaining followers were to discover the truth,” Albus continued.

“Do you really think they are still a threat?” Arthur asked in disbelief.

“I would not discount them too lightly,” Albus replied. “We should always be on our guard.”

“Is my family in danger taking that boy in?” Arthur asked, watching Albus wave his wand, casting a glowing rainbow-hued ward that cascaded down over The Burrow and its surroundings. “What is that ward?”

“That is the soul ward,” Albus answered. “Death Eaters will not be able to easily track Harry and Ginny as long as they can call The Burrow their home. It is a complicated ward, involving ancient magic and based on Ginny’s blood-ties to you and Molly as well as her soul bond to Harry. In answer to your previous question, Arthur, Harry is now part of your family whether you take him in or not. I do not believe your family is in any more danger this evening than they were this morning.”

“That’s an awfully cryptic answer, Albus,” Arthur said.

“It’s the only one I can give you,” Albus said. “For now, I must be off, but I will return after you have settled.”

Arthur nodded mutely and stepped back as Albus Apparated away. In the near silence of the lane, all Arthur could hear was the faint chirrup of crickets hidden in the grass of the garden and an occasional grunt from a garden gnome. He imagined he should enjoy the peace and solitude for a moment longer, as he doubted there would be much of it within his home for many days to come.

hghghghg ghghghgh


Severus Snape was surprised when Albus summoned him to his office. He had spent the day taking inventory of his potions cupboard in preparation for the upcoming school year and had planned on spending the evening organizing his lesson plans. The past ten years he had spent as a professor teaching potions at Hogwarts had to be the most uneventful years of his entire life. Aside from errant students, most especially the Weasley twins, his days were fairly the same. He had enjoyed the quiet and solitude being a teacher had offered him during the summer and winter holidays, as he much preferred not to share the company of other witches and wizards. The only wizard he could bear to spend any amount of time with was Albus Dumbledore. Albus was the only one who knew everything there was to know about Severus and aside from that horrible day ten years ago, never judged him.

“Fudge Flies,” he said when he approached the gargoyle statue and it opened immediately to reveal the spiral staircase that led to the headmaster’s office. Riding the stairs to the top, Severus paused outside the thick, wooden door and knocked. He heard Albus’ reply of ‘come in’ and pushed the door open to reveal the headmaster sitting at his desk, perusing through a very large and thick tome. By the brownish-yellow tint of the thin parchment pages, Severus could deduce that the book must be ancient.

“Ah, Severus,” Albus called in greeting as Severus approached the desk and took a seat in a plush red velvet chair that sat opposite the headmaster. “Thank you for coming. I have had a most eventful day and find I am in need of your assistance.”

“Regarding?” Severus asked, wondering what possibly could have occurred on what should have been an ordinary day.

“I was called to Diagon Alley unexpectedly this morning where I bore witness to a most fascinating event,” Albus explained, looking up at Severus. “I observed a soul bond between two young magical children. It was quite extraordinary.”

Severus quirked an eyebrow in disbelief and barely contained a snort of derision. “Albus, soul bonds have been the talk of legend for centuries. No one even remembers how to initiate one or when the last recorded soul bond was, for that matter.”

“Ah, not so, Severus,” Albus said in that way that always made him feel like he was a first year student who didn’t know anything. “Adoyrak, the head goblin of Gringotts reminded me once again today how important it is for us wizards not to discount other magical creatures and the knowledge they hold. He knows quite a bit about soul bonds, including the last one recorded over 1700 years ago.”

Severus resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Albus had lectured him before on the importance of overcoming any prejudices he held against other magical creatures, but goblins were known for their manipulative, conniving ways. It was extremely difficult for him to believe the goblin didn’t have some ulterior motive for insisting a soul bond had been formed today. However, he had to admit his curiosity had been piqued as he assumed Albus knew it would be and he pressed for more information.

“Very well, Albus,” he sighed, playing along with the game. “Why do you need my assistance? As you have already indicated, I know very little regarding soul bonds.”

“Yes,” Albus agreed. “You and I both will have to do our research. However, the circumstances surrounding this particular soul bond are peculiar and I would greatly appreciate your opinion as it pertains to potions.”

Severus furrowed his brow in consternation. “Potions?”

“You see,” Albus began. “Molly Weasley’s nearly ten-year-old daughter, Ginevra Weasley is one half of the bonded couple. Her mother informed me that a little over a week ago her daughter brewed Aphrodite’s Destiny and drank it. The results were not normal for that potion and Molly was concerned it was the cause of the soul bond. I tried to assure her that that could not be the case, but I would like a second opinion.”

This time Severus allowed his snort of derision to be heard. “Aphrodite’s Destiny is a silly potion created by an equally silly witch to dupe young girls into thinking they are going to see the face of their true love. It has no magical properties and is nothing more than a complicated way to make tea.”

Albus warmly smiled over at him. “Ah, Severus, as always you surprise me at how very little you believe in true love or romance of any sort.”

“Romance between children is impossible,” Severus said. “They all are self-centred brats who can only think about themselves, and that potion is rubbish.”

“Yes, I agree with you that at such tender ages, the children would be incapable of romance in the sense that you and I think of it,” Albus agreed. “However, I did not find either Ginny or the boy she bonded with to exhibit selfish behaviour in the slightest. Both were equally concerned for the other.”

“So you say, Albus. You have my opinion, is that all?” Severus asked.

“Not quite, Severus,” Albus said, dashing his hopes of retiring early and sorting his lesson plans. “Are you not interested to know who Ginny Weasley bonded with?”

“Why is that of importance to me?” Severus asked. “Some poor, unsuspecting wizard boy is now saddled with a Weasley. I wish him luck.”

“Now, Severus,” Albus reprimanded him. “The Weasleys are a wonderful family. You are merely judging them all by the pranks of Fred and George.”

“They set my potions lab on fire at the end of last term and all you did was slap them on the wrists,” Severus pouted. He did not find setting Dr Filibuster’ Fabulous Wet-Start, No-Heat Fireworks off inside a boiling cauldron of fire water to be very creative or humorous whatsoever, but apparently the headmaster had thought differently.

“No one was harmed by the prank and everyone, excepting you, enjoyed the display, Severus,” Albus replied. “They were forced to clean up the classroom and put it back to rights. That seemed to be an appropriate punishment for the crime.”

“I have always said you are entirely too sympathetic and soft towards the student body and I stand behind that,” Severus warned.

“I believe in second chances for everyone. You, of all people, should know that,” Albus said, to which Severus held his tongue and said nothing further regarding the matter of the Weasley twins.

“You have made your point,” he conceded. “Now, since it is apparently important that I know all the details, who is the boy involved?”

“Harry Potter,” Albus said evenly, staring directly at his face. Severus was proud that he steeled his emotions and all that escaped was a sneer.

Severus didn’t even want to think about the Potter boy. It had been bad enough that the boy would be starting his career at Hogwarts in the fall. He had been trying to put that thought from his mind until the very last second, as he wasn’t quite sure how he was going to be able to look at the boy every day, let alone teach him. And now, Albus had added the knowledge that Harry was irrevocably attached to a red-headed girl, no less. It was as if it was starting all over again, and Severus was destined to spend his life in silent torment.

“That is not amusing, Albus,” Severus tonelessly remarked.

Albus looked anything but happy about the revelation. In fact, he looked the exact opposite, and if Severus was not mistaken, perhaps a bit frightened. “What is it?” he pressed.

“The bond negated the protection Lily afforded Harry when she died,” Albus explained.

This gave Severus pause, as he knew Albus had been counting on Lily’s blood protection to protect Harry until he was of age. This was disturbing news, as it would make the job the headmaster had given him of helping to keep Harry alive that much harder.

“It also means that Ginny’s life is in as much danger as Harry’s,” Albus continued.

Severus sighed. “Are you certain?”

“The wards around Privet Drive have disintegrated,” Albus confirmed. “I re-established them around the Weasley home using the thin thread of connection Harry and Ginny now share. In many ways the new wards are much stronger than the blood ward ever was, but that does not change the fact that now we have two lives that, even as we speak are becoming further intertwined, leaving Harry’s fate, Ginny’s as well.”

“Are you so certain that the Dark Lord will return, Albus?” Severus asked. “He has been gone for ten years now. Perhaps we are worried for nothing.”

Albus shook his head. “There have been rumours and stirrings in Albania, Severus. He is still alive in some form and looking to return in full force, hence why I have taken it upon myself to guard Nicholas’ Philosopher's Stone.” He pulled a small, lumpy parcel from his robe pocket and set it on his desk between them. Severus watched as the headmaster unwrapped the bundle to reveal a chunky, unassuming red rock.

“So, we will be guarding that as well as protecting Harry this year, Albus?” Severus asked, already resigned to a year that would be quite unlike his past ten at Hogwarts.

“Oh, our job has become that much more difficult, Severus,” Albus sighed. “You see, the bond between Harry and Ginny has weakened them considerably. They are currently inseparable as their young bodies adjust to the power of the bond. They must grow into it, and therefore Harry will not be attending Hogwarts this year as we had planned. We will have to work with them to help them strengthen their skills.”

“We?” Severus asked, not liking where this train of thought was leading.

“I would very much like for you to help them,” Albus said. “Perhaps you can create a potion that will help them endure greater separation until they are able to do it on their own. If nothing more, I would like you to train both of them in Occlumency.”

Severus snorted again. “Occlumency is advanced magic, both are too young to even begin to comprehend, let alone perform. Not to mention that if the boy is anything like his father, he will be too full of his own self-importance to try.”

“I think you will find that Harry inherited more from Lily than just her eyes, Severus,” Albus said. “I need you to put aside your ill feelings towards James Potter. Harry and Ginny do not know it, but they desperately need your help or all is lost before it has even begun. If Lord Voldemort does return and he should hear of their link, I do not care to think of the lengths he would go to to see them destroyed. I believe this soul bond very well may help Harry if he ever has to face the Dark Lord again and we must guard it to the very end. Do you understand, Severus?”

Severus nodded mutely. Yes, he understood. Without a second thought, the Dark Lord had taken from him the only thing he had ever loved and cared for in the world. Severus, in his youthful ignorance had lost Lily Evans long before that fateful Halloween night, however, and he had been attempting to make up for the innocent love and friendship he had callously thrown away. Despite how difficult it would be for him, he would see to it that her son did not suffer a similar fate or he would die trying. It was all he could give his long dead best friend, and he hoped it would be enough to gain her forgiveness in the after-life.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129944