Family Lost, Family Found by Pottermum



Summary: Ginny has grown up surrounded by the love of her family. On a Halloween night when she is seven, it is lost. Years later, with the return of Harry to England, the family she thought she lost, may become the family she finds.
Rating: R starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2015.04.08
Updated: 2015.05.19


Family Lost, Family Found by Pottermum
Chapter 1: Chapter 1 Halloween 1988
Author's Notes:

Eight year old Harry Potter smiled as he arrived via the Floo to Grimmauld Place. He could hear squeals and laughter up the stairs, and he could guess what was going on.

“Looks like Padfoot's here already,” chuckled James, turning to take a bag from Lily, who followed through the Floo after Harry.

“He's certainly a hit with the kids,” agreed Lily. “Go on Harry, go up and see your friends.”

Harry raced up the stairs while Lily and James stepped into the kitchen. They greeted Molly Weasley, placing the bag on the table. Frank and Alice Longbottom came to speak with them.

“Many here yet?” asked James.

“A few. Dumbledore and Hagrid aren't here yet. Bones and Snape, either. Pettigrew is here. Remus coming?” asked Frank.

“No, it's not a good time of the month,” joked Lily. As everyone there knew that Remus Lupin was a werewolf, there were no explanations needed.

“I think I'll just pop up and see the kids,” said Lily. “Coming, James?”

“Yeah, I want to see what Padfoot's up to up there,” said James.

“I'll come too,” said Alice, following them out the door.

They went upstairs and followed the laughter. Opening the door, they could see Neville Longbottom and Ron Weasley sitting in the corner, trading chocolate frog cards. Harry stood over them, watching them, but also keeping an eye on Ginny Weasley, who was riding around on Padfoot's back.

“Faster, faster,” she goaded. Harry laughed.

Padfoot ran around, then collapsed at James, Lily and Alice's feet. His tongue lolled out, and he let out a weary bark. Ginny climbed off him and patted him.

“Good, Padfoot,” she praised. Turning, she flung herself at James. He picked her up and planted a big kiss on her cheek.

“Hi Uncle Prongs,” she sang, hugging him hard. She leaned over to give Lily a kiss. “Hi, Aunt Lily.”

“Hey, Firecracker, you breaking my dog?” James asked, tickling her.

Ginny giggled. “Silly Uncle Prongs, it's not really a dog. It's Uncle Sirius.”

James gasped. “No! You don't say. Sirius, is that really you? Get up, you mangy mutt.”

Padfoot barked wearily again. Harry came over and patted him. Padfoot licked Harry's hand gratefully.

“Come on, Sirius, the meeting will be starting soon. I think I heard more people arriving. Peter's down there,” said James.

Sirius transformed. Harry and Ginny giggled as he lay spread-eagled on the ground.

“Lily made that treacle tart you love so much,” enticed James.

Sirius sat up quickly. “Well now, why didn't you say so? Bye kidlets, I'm off to the meeting.”

“Bye, Uncle Sirius,” called Harry and Ginny, as he left. Neville and Ron waved, then went back to their trading.

“Okay now, the meeting will be starting soon. You kids play nice. There'll be snacks later. Boys, look out for Ginny now,” said Alice.

“Yes Mum,” said Neville.

“Yes, Aunt Alice,” called Harry and Ron, who rolled his eyes at having to look out for his little sister.

“All right then, down you go Firecracker. We'll see you after the meeting,” said James, putting seven year old Ginny down.

“Bye, said Ginny, hurrying over to Harry. “Wanna play Exploding Snap?” Harry nodded.

James, Lily and Alice walked down the stairs. “I wasn't expecting to see the Weasley children tonight,” said Lily.

“Oh, Ron is coming to ours to stay for a few days. Arthur and the rest of the boys are home sick with dragon pox, so Molly brought Ginny,” said Alice. She turned to greet her mother-in-law, Augusta.

Lily was about to walk in to the meeting room, when James pulled her aside. “Hey, are we going to make our little announcement tonight?” he asked, putting his hand on her abdomen and rubbing softly.

Lily but her lip. “No, not tonight. I'd rather wait till the twelve week mark, so it's only another couple of weeks. Besides, I want to tell Harry first. He'll be such a good big brother.”

James sighed, leaning over to kiss her. “He sure will be. He dotes on little Gin. This one is a girl, Lil, I can feel it.”

Lily laughed and kissed him back. “Come on. I just want to get tonight over and done with.”

James looked at her. “You don't have to go, you know. I can go with Frank and Alice to the Ministry. Sirius could take your place. Maybe it would be better; safer. Take Harry home and wait for us.”

“No, I'm coming too. Alice and I found out there is a prophecy together, so we both want to be there when we find it. Come on, let's go and make the plans,” said Lily.

James followed her into the meeting, which Dumbledore was presiding over. “Ah, the last of our friends. Let's all be seated. We have a lot to get through, and not much time. James and Lily, Frank and Alice, you still want to go the Hall of Prophecies at the Ministry tonight?”

“We do,” the two couples said.

“Okay, let's discuss security...”



Half an hour later, the children were getting bored. They had played cards, looked at all the chocolate frog cards, and listened to the wireless.

“Do you know, Muggle kids get dressed up and go out and get lollies and chocolates from other people on Halloween?” asked Harry.

“Really? Why?” asked Ginny.

Harry shrugged. “Don't know. They get dressed up as witches and wizards, but not like us. When I told my cousin Dudley that we don't look like that, he punched me,” said Harry.

“I don't believe you,” said Ron.

“He did, too. Look at the bruise,” said Harry, pulling his shirt off his shoulder.

“Not about that,” scoffed Ron, while Ginny exclaimed over the big bruise on Harry's shoulder. “About the dressing up. Why do they dress up like witches and wizards then, Mr Smarty Potter?”

“Oh they dress up in other stuff. Like fairies, and someone called Batman and Superman. Ghosts and goblins. Anything, really,” said Harry.

“Goblins? Like the ones at Gringott's. They scare me,” said Ginny, huddling closer to Harry.

“Silly Ginny. You're such a little girl,” sneered Ron. “You two are lucky you don't have a little sister.”

“I wouldn't mind,” said Harry, while Neville nodded. They both played at the Burrow often; the three boys were very close. Ginny often tagged along. She and Harry often paired up against Ron and Neville in their games.

Molly came in to the room then, levitating a tray of snacks and drinks. “Here we go, then. The meeting is just taking a bit longer than planned. Ron, Ginny, I'm just going to Floo home and check on your dad and your brothers. Uncle Gideon and Uncle Fabian are downstairs if you need anything. I shouldn't be long.”

“Okay, Mummy,” said Ginny, taking a biscuit and a drink. Ron took three biscuits and simply nodded.

“Are you all right, Harry? You look a bit peaky,” asked Molly, in concern. She put her hand on his forehead. “You're a bit warm.”

“Feel hot,” agreed Harry. “My throat is scratchy.”

“I'll let your mum know when I get back,” said Molly.

“I'll look after Harry, Mummy,” said Ginny, taking his hand.

“Good girl. Ronnie, look after your sister, please. Neville, another piece of cake, love?” asked Molly.

“Thanks Aunt Molly,” said Neville, taking some cake.

“All right then. I'll leave the tray here. The house elf, Kreacher will come and get it when it's empty. We'll let you know when the meeting is finished.”

“Bye, Mummy. Bye Aunt Molly,” they called.

They sat contentedly for several minutes, eating and drinking. Ron and Neville were talking about having a sleep over that night, saying they would stay awake till midnight. Ron would be staying there for the next few days.

“I don't feel so good,” mumbled Harry.

“You don't look good,” said Neville.

Harry's face was flushed.

“Put your head in my lap, Harry,” said Ginny, patting her knees. “I do this to Bill sometimes.”

Harry lay his hot head on Ginny's lap, and closed his eyes as he felt her run her fingers through his hair. Her little hands rubbed gently against his forehead. Harry sighed in relief. It felt so comforting.

“I'm gonna be sick,” he said, leaning away from Ginny, and throwing up.

“Ew,” said Ron.

Kreacher, the house-elf, had just appeared in the room to get the now empty tray. He waved his hand, and the vomit disappeared.

“Do you want your mum?” whispered Ginny. Harry nodded. “Come with me,” she said.

Ginny helped Harry stand up, and she led him out the room and down the stairs. To her surprise, her uncles were at the bottom of the stairs.

“Hey, Gin-Gin, how's our favourite niece?” asked Gideon.

“I'm your only niece,” said Ginny. It was a game she played with them often.

“Ooh, Harry and Ginny are holding hands. Something you want to tell us, sweetie?” teased Fabian.

“Harry's sick. He needs his mum,” explained Ginny.

“Well, just knock on the door. I think the meeting is just about over. We're just going to Floo over to see what's taking Molly so long. Give Arthur and the boys a bit of a cheer up. I can't believe they all came down with dragon-pox. Lucky you and Ronnie didn't get it,” said Gideon.

“Yes, it is. Ron is staying at Neville's while the boys are sick. I have to go to Aunt Muriel's by myself,” said Ginny, pouting.

“Aw, don't mind old Muriel. We'll come and visit you,” promised Fabian. Gideon nodded.

“Thank you, that would be fun,” said Ginny.

“We'll talk to Molly about it when we get back. Gotta go,” said Gideon, patting Ginny on the shoulder. Fabian winked at her and followed his brother into the floo.

The door to the meeting room opened. Peter Pettigrew was one of the first out. “Oh, hello, Harry. You all right?”

“He's sick,” said Ginny, as Harry shook his head.

“Oh. Lily should be out soon. I-uh, I need to go. Someone I have to see. Bye now,” said Peter, hurrying off.

They watched him go. Ginny whispered to Harry. “I know he's friends with your dad and Uncle Sirius, but I don't really like him. He's a bit creepy.”

Harry nodded slowly. He was feeling hotter and hotter. He felt Ginny's cool hand in his. She was leading him somewhere.

The witches and wizards in the meeting room tittered as Ginny came in, pulling Harry with her.

“Aunt Lily. Aunt Lily,” called Ginny.

Lily turned around and knelt down. “What is it, Ginny? Harry, what's wrong with you? James?”she called out to her husband, who left Dumbledore to come over to them.

“He got sick. He said he felt hot. He didn't eat anything, but he threw up,” said Ginny.

“Hey, son, not feeling well?” asked James, hovering over Lily. Harry shook his head.

“James, he needs to be home in bed. Is it too late to call Andromeda to have a look at him?” asked Lily.

Dumbledore came over. “I can send Madame Pomfrey from Hogwarts to check young Harry over. I think you need to get him home to bed. You won't be going to the Ministry tonight.”

“I can still go. Just let me get Lil and Harry home,” insisted James.

“I'll take Lil's place,” said Sirius.

“No. James, your place is home with your family. Sirius, you're needed as a look out. Frank, Alice, will you be all right with just the two of you?” asked Dumbledore.

“Of course. This one here would have only slowed us down,” chuckled Frank, slapping James on the back.

“Oy, I'll get you for that. This weekend, when you come over, we'll get the brooms out. Then we'll see who slows down who,” smirked James.

“You're on, mate. Now go, Harry needs to be home. Go look after your family. When we find the prophecy and hear it, we'll let you know. In case...”

“God speed, my friend,” said James, knowing what Frank wasn't saying. When Lily and Alice, both Unspeakables, had learned of a prophecy, they had also learned it may affect either of their sons. As the families were so close, they were equally affected, whether it be their son or the other's.

Frank nodded, and the two men hugged briefly. Lily and Alice hugged too.

Several people who were making their way out of the meeting room, stopped to offer any assistance for that night. Frank and Alice declined. Most people there had a job to do that night in some capacity, even if it was just to be on guard around the Ministry. Frank and Alice quickly left.

Sirius came up and clapped James on the back..

“Snivellus was his usual jolly self, wasn't he? Merlin, Harry, you don't look good. Prongs, Lil, go and get my god-son into bed. Dumbledore has fire-called Pomfrey, she'll be at yours in five minutes. Go. Don't worry about tonight. I'll fill you in tomorrow. Breakfast, Lil?”

“Sure, Sirius. The usual?”she asked.

“You know it,” he winked. Then he turned to Ginny.

“So Missy, what have you been eating? You weighed a ton when you were riding around on my back earlier,” said Sirius to Ginny.

“A ton? No way. I eat all my vegetables,” said Ginny.

“Good girl. Still, I think your days of me giving you a ride may be over,” said Sirius.

“That's okay. Now I'm bigger, will you take me on your motorcycle?” asked Ginny, her eyes gleaming.

Sirius groaned. “Do you want your mother to kill me?”

Ginny leaned over to whisper to him. “Sometimes, it's better if Mum doesn't know.” She put her finger to her lips.

Sirius gave a bark of laughter. “You may just become the first female Marauder. Now, go upstairs and get your brother and Nev, will ya? I see Augusta has just arrived to take them home. What's happening with you, Missy?”

“I'm with Uncle Gids and Uncle Fabian,” said Ginny.

“Oh yeah, they said they were going up to see you. Okay, then, bye,” he said to her.

“Bye,” she called, waving to him, as he headed for the floo.

James and Lily gathered their belongings and prepared to leave. Ginny was still holding hands with Harry, watching people leave.

“I wonder what's taking Molly, Gids and Fabe so long,” mused Lily.

“Probably taking the mickey out of the boys. Molly will be fussing around the kids, you know what she's like,” said James, affectionately.

He picked Ginny up again. “Bye, sweetie. Thanks for looking after Harry for us. We'll see you soon, okay.” He kissed her cheek.

“Bye,” said Ginny, hugging him hard. “Look after Harry for me.”

“Will do,” said James, putting her down.

“Bye, Aunt Lily,” said Ginny, burrowing her head against Lily's stomach. She felt a bump there. “Oh, are you going to have a-”

“Bye Ginny. We'll see you soon, sweetie, as soon as Harry is better,” said Lily, hurriedly. Her worried eyes met James over Ginny's head.

James put his arms around Lily and kissed her. “It's okay. Merlin, I hope our little girl is just like Ginny,” he whispered.

“Ahem,” said Snape, moving past them.

“Sorry, Severus,” said Lily, realising they were blocking the hall. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Lily. James, Harry,” he nodded.


An hour later, Augusta had taken Ron, Neville and Ginny back to Frank and Alice's home. The mood at Grimmauld Place has turned somber. No news had come from the Burrow.

Suddenly, Kingsley's Patronus burst into the room. His deep voice echoed around. “ Death Eaters have broken through the wards at the Burrow. Arthur, Gideon, Fabien and the boys are dead. Molly has been tortured. She has been taken to St Mungo's. We have been betrayed. Abort the mission. Repeat, abort the mission.”

Gasps of horror filled the room. It was their worst fear.

Dumbledore stood up. “I am going to the Ministry. I will personally see to Frank and Alice's safety. Send a Patronus to everyone on guard duty. We'll need a couple to go to Godric's Hollow and watch over the town. At least the Potters are under the Fidelius.”

“No-one has seen Pettigrew. He didn't make it to his post tonight,” said Amelia Bones, fire-calling from the Ministry.

“I'll go to Longbottom Manor after I've seen to Frank and Alice. Augusta will need to be told the house is under protection. I knew they should have gone under the Fidelius, like the Potters,” said Dumbledore, slamming his hand on the table.

“Hagrid, my friend. Go to Godric's Hollow, keep an eye on the Potter's house. You know what you have to do,” said Dumbledore.

Hagrid nodded solemnly. His orders were simple. Get Harry out of any danger.

“Good luck my friends, and be safe. Tonight, we fly with Lady Luck. Let's hope she's with us, and not against us,” said Dumbledore.

Alas, Lady Luck was not with them that night. The Order of the Phoenix took a huge hit that terrible Halloween night. The news kept getting worse and worse. Dumbledore reported back that three of their members on guard duty at the Ministry had been killed. Frank and Alice, like Molly, had been tortured into insanity. James and Lily Potter had been killed, with no sign of Harry. Hagrid had tried to get to Harry, but Sirius had got there first and taken off with the boy. Sirius had immediately gone to Godric's Hollow when word had come through of the tragedy they had suffered. Nobody could find Remus. It was a nightmare.

Dumbledore Apparated to Longbottom Manor. He dealt with Augusta's grief, then together they faced the children as they woke. Ron and Neville cried, but little Ginny seemed in shock. She didn't say anything for the next two days.

Dumbledore barely slept for the next forty-eight hours. There were fires to be put out everywhere. He had to answer to the Ministry, while keeping certain facts to himself. When all his professional obligations had been met, he returned to Longbottom Manor.

The three children were in a daze. Neville had been to see his parents, but it upset him so much that it was decided it was better for Ron and Ginny not to see Molly yet. Ginny still refused to talk, and barely ate anything.

It was only as Dumbledore mentioned the funerals for her father, uncles and brothers that Ginny mentioned the Potters.

“Can- can I go live with Uncle Prongs and Aunt Lily and Harry?” she asked, desperate for some security.

“I'm sorry, Ginny,” said Dumbledore. He hesitated. “The Potters were killed the same night as your family.”

Ginny stared at him with her huge chocolate eyes. She stared in disbelief. Then she opened her mouth and screamed. She screamed and screamed, which brought the other boys running. Dumbledore picked her up, and she kicked and punched to be set free.

“Noooo, I want Harry,” she wept over and over.

This made the other boys upset, and they cried too. Dumbledore held Ginny tightly and walked around with her until she fell asleep in his arms.

“Oh, Albus, what shall we do? She's distraught,” cried Augusta.

“It will help when Bill and Charlie get here. We've kept them safe at Hogwarts, but they should be here soon. I fear we have only one option with all three children, Augusta,” said Albus, softly.

“Erase their memories?” asked Augusta.

Albus nodded. “Yes. I know it's harsh, but they have enough to deal with losing their own families. If I do a mild memory charm, all they will know is the Potters were killed the same night as their families were destroyed. They will only know them as tragic figures on a Halloween night, just as the rest of our world will. Together, Ron, Ginny and Neville will help each other.”

Augusta sighed. “Very well. If we are going to do this, we should do it now. Let the poor girl have some solace, and prepare her for the ordeal ahead. Have you been in touch with the aunt? Muriel, I believe?”

Dumbledore sighed again. “Yes. She won't take the children. Says she warned Arthur about the consequences of joining the Order, and he chose to ignore her. She won't, and I quote, 'clean up after his mess'.”

Augusta shook her head. “Shameful. Well, they can stay here until other arrangements can be made. I think they need to be around people they know and trust right now. I'll get my house-elf to prepare rooms for the older boys.”

“Good, good. There are dark days ahead, Augusta, but we must stay strong. The Weasleys, Longbottoms and Potters knew the risks they were taking. We must mourn our dead, but in time, we must re-group, and push forward,” said Albus.

“Right now, my concern is for the children. Yes, they all knew the risks, but I'm sure not one of them intended to leave their children parentless. Now, are we going to do this memory charm, or not?”snapped Augusta.

Albus lowered his head as he followed her to where the children slept. He had to remember she too had lost a son, and a daughter-in-law, as well as friends. She hadn't had time to properly grieve, as she was suddenly thrust into caring for the three young children.

The only positive thing to come out of the whole night was the unconfirmed reports that Voldemort himself had been killed. Snape had been upset at the news of Lily's death, and had taken off. Something extraordinary had happened in the little house in Godric's Hollow that night, and Albus knew he possibly would never know what it was. Harry, Sirius and Remus were all missing, possibly dead, too.

He stared at the sleeping children as he performed the memory charm. He hoped that one day, they would understand and forgive him.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129945