Living for the Moment by Pottermum



Summary: AU Set in the early 1900's. To gain allies in the threat of a dark wizard who wants supremacy over the Muggles, England's Minister for Magic has arranged marriages for his six sons.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2015.07.15
Updated: 2015.08.02


Living for the Moment by Pottermum
Chapter 1: Chapter 1 The Plans.
Author's Notes:

“Boys, it's time for you all to take a wife,” said Arthur Weasley, Minister for Magic, England.

“What? No way, I'm concentrating on my Quidditch career,” said Ronald, the youngest son.

“Who needs a wife when there are so many lovely young ladies around to enjoy,” said Frederick, nudging George, his twin.

“What did you have in mind, Father?” asked Percy. “Or should I say, who?”

Charles and William, the two eldest, rolled their eyes at each other over their younger brother's attempt to suck up to their father.

“As Minister for Magic, your marriages will provide an alliance between other countries. I've already sent out owls to the heads of state, asking for them to provide their best witches. I've selected the six best prospects, and they will be arriving in a matter of days. Your weddings will be held within forty eight hours,” said Arthur firmly.

“What, no way!” cried the younger Weasley men, appalled.

“It is our duty. I had hoped you may have found love on your own by now. Merlin knows, your Mother, God rest her soul, would have doted on some grandchildren. But seeing as it's not meant to be, your unions will be needed to strengthen our ties abroad,” sighed Arthur. “Unrest is growing, as talks of a dark wizard and his followers grow stronger everyday.”

“But Dad-” began Bill.

“Do you have any information of these witches?” asked Percy, prepared to stand up and do his duty.

“Ah, yes, here we are,” said Arthur, shuffling some papers. “Charlie, your union is with a young witch named Angelina. Her father is a diplomat for Romania, so this will allow you to continue your work with your precious dragons.” Charlie smiled at that, but frowned as he took the dossier from his father that contained information on his intended bride.

“Bill, your witch is Audrey. Her father is second in charge of the Ministry of Ireland. You will be relocating there after the wedding.”

“But Father, I told you I had a job offer from the Gringotts branch in Paris,” protested Bill.

“We must do what's best for England, it's the price we pay for being the Minister's sons,” said Percy, reasonably. “Who have I got, Father?”

“A bright young witch, her name is Hermione. She is Muggleborn, and has high hopes of working at the Ministry,” said Arthur, handing over a dossier. Percy nodded, and started reading.

“What about us, dear old Dad?” asked George, scowling.

Arthur looked at him sternly. “Parvati and Padma Patil, of Indian culture. Twins, like yourselves. Their father is looking to import into England, and happy to have you open a branch of your shop in India.”

“India? It's too bloody hot. I'll freckle,” protested Fred, pointing to his already freckly face.

“Great, I'll pop over and visit, you know I like things spicy,” said Charlie.

Arthur ignored the jibes coming from his elder sons, and turned to his youngest. Ronald, the apple of his mother's eye, God rest her soul.

“Dad, I'm too busy for a wife. I really think the Cannons have got a good shot at the title this year,”
said Ron.

Arthur handed Ronald a dossier. “Kathryn Bell, although she likes to be known as Katie.”

Ronald's jaw dropped open. “As in, daughter of Marcus Bell, owner of the Chudley Cannons?”

“Yes,” nodded Arthur. “Boys, I really have tried to work out suitable partners for you. Remember, your mother and I married this way, and we developed a deep love over time. I'm sure the same will happen to you all. At least, I hope so. Now go, read about your future brides. They will arrive Friday, and the wedding will be held Sunday, on the grounds of the Burrow.”

Percy nodded, standing up. He held out his hand for his father to shake. George and Fred snickered at the formality of it, but Ron, Charlie and Bill were too caught up in their dossiers to notice.

“At least you got someone you sort of know,” said Fred to Ron.

“Yeah, but I'm marrying the daughter of the owner of the team. If I don't make her happy, I might find myself cut off from the team, never mind how good I play,” groaned Ron.

“Not to mention all the Quidditch groupies that hang around, you'll have to give them a miss,” smirked George.

“At least Charlie gets to stay in Romania, although I think he'd rather marry a dragon than this witch. What was her name again?” asked Ron.

“Er, Angelina. Angelina Johnson,” said Charlie, checking his dossier. “What about you, Bill? Hey, where did Bill go?” he asked, looking around.

Their eldest brother was nowhere in sight.


“Beel, I did not expect to zee you again zo zoon. Please, have a zeat,” offered Fleur Delacour.

As always, Bill was struck by Fleur's beauty. He sat close, picking up her hand and kissing the back of it.

“You have talked with your Papa, non?” asked Fleur, hopefully.

Bill shook his head. “I'd hoped to, but the meeting was with all my brothers. My father, the Minister for Magic, has made deals with several important men throughout Europe.”

Fleur frowned prettily. “I do not underztand. What iz thiz to do with uz getting married?”

“My father has asked them to provide six suitable witches for me and my brothers to wed. It will provide an alliance between their countries,” said Bill, bitterly. “I am promised to a witch named Audrey, and I will be shuffled off to Ireland.”

“Non! Oh Beel, what shall we do?” cried Fleur, crying prettily.

Bill took her in his arms. “I shall find a way for us to be together. You are the only witch I want. I shall try and talk to my father again alone. If we must, we will elope. I do not want anyone for my wife, but you,” said Bill passionately.

“Mon amour,” sighed Fleur, as he took her in his arms and kissed her. “Love will find a way,” she assured him.


Prince Harry stared at his parents in horror. “Marry Cho Chang?”

Sirius chuckled at the look on his godson's face.

“Lady Chang,” corrected his mother, Lily.

“But Mu-um,” whined Harry.

“Harry, you have been gallivanting around enough. It's time for you to settle down. You're twenty years old, your mother and I were expecting you by that age,” said his father, James.

“I thought you liked the Lady Chang?” asked Lily.

“She's nice and all, quite pretty. She just-I don't know how to explain it-she's not the one for me,” said Harry.

“None of the other dozen or so witches you've gone out with seem to be the one for you,” said James, dryly.

“Son, it's time for you to settle down and think about your duty,” said Lily, firmly. “Andulasia needs a new King and Queen, and an heir.”

“A baby? You want me to have a baby?” asked Harry, shocked.

“Technically, your wife will have the baby. You just get the fun of making it,” smirked Sirius.

“With Cho Chang?” asked Harry, another look of horror on his face. “I'd have to sleep with her?”

“You'd need to do more than sleep, Harry. Do we need to have that special talk again?” teased Sirius.

Harry ignored his godfather. “How long have I got?”

A knock on the door interrupted his parents from replying. Remus came in, holding some parchment.

“Please forgive my intrusion. A request from the Minister of Magic in England. He's asking for an escort for some special cargo of an extremly delicate nature to England. I've checked our troops, and I don't know who we can spare for such a mission.”

“England? What's Arthur up to now?” sighed James, taking the parchment and reading it.

“I can do it. I've always wanted to see more of England, we never stay long,” said Harry, quickly. “You know I'm as good as any of your leaders, smart and good with my wand.”

“Lucky Lady Chang,” teased Sirius. Harry shot him a dirty look.Lily sighed at Sirius and shook her head. She then returned her attention to her husband.

“Diplomatically, it would be a good show of faith and support for Arthur, sending our only son, the Prince, along with the cargo. What's the time frame, Remus?” asked Lily.

“Leaving tomorrow to meet with the cargo, which is apparantly coming from different regions. A stop over in Scotland, then heading to England, to arrive by Friday. Arthur wants the cargo delivered in a thestral -pulled carriage to his home near Devon,” said Remus, puzzled by this unusual request.

“So it's personal,” mused James.

“No, Arthur states it's a political mission,” said Lily, reading the letter over James' shoulder.

“So Harry would be gone for five or so days,” said Sirius. “He might meet his true love on his travels, who knows.” He winked at his godson.

James and Lily looked at each other. Harry knew they were silently communicating, in a way that only parents can do. They seemed to reach an agreement, for they both nodded.

“Very well. Harry, you are to take the cargo to England. Remus will brief you on the details. You have five days, then you will return home and we will prepare for your wedding, to be held in a month. Understood?” asked James, firmly.

Harry gulped, and nodded. Five days to meet his 'True Love'? It was 'Mission Impossible'.

He looked over to Remus, who smiled sympathetically. Harry sighed. Somewhere out there was the perfect witch for him. Harry hoped she'd hurry up and show up. Like, in the next week! He couldn't marry Cho Chang, he wouldn't!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129979