The Opposing Movement by BigFatMaybe



Summary: Christmas, 1993. Harry Potter is spotted in the company of wanted fugitive Sirius Black, and is forced on a dark, treacherous path. Pursued from all directions by a Ministry intent on capturing him, and the ever-persistent threat of a seemingly immortal Voldemort on the horizon, the road ahead will be dangerous, and the toll will be higher than ever beforeā€¦
Rating: R starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2016.06.18
Updated: 2016.07.25


The Opposing Movement by BigFatMaybe
Chapter 1: Chapter 1: Arrangement
Author's Notes:

For what felt like the thousandth time, Melchior Naaktgeboren flipped through his collection of news articles, torn out pages from newspapers and books, personal notes and drawings. He had no reason to do it, really, but the distinctly frightening thought of having nothing to do prevented him from laying it all aside and putting it out of his head. He glanced at his watch. He should have heard something by now, received a message like he did every day these past four months. But nothing. The wait was maddening.

He looked back at his notebook, and turned a page. Three columns written by concerned parents of Hogwarts students, voicing their disagreement with the way the school was being operated and considering whether or not to pull their children out. They had every right to do so of course, considering everything that had been occurring. First the happenings with the Philosopher's Stone and the death of a teacher, then all those attacks from last year, and the cherry on the cake was that Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban.

And it all revolved around Harry Potter.

He turned another page and saw his favourite news article again:

BOY WHO LIVED ARRIVES AT HOGWARTS AT LAST; IS SORTED INTO SLYTHERIN!

He grinned at the irony of it all. The boy had been a hero, the vanquisher of the most fearsome Dark Lord Britain had ever seen. Of course they latched onto his story. They needed a good guy, a beacon of light during the dark times of the War and its rocky aftermath.

It was funny, yet sad at the same time to see from a distance how a wizard under the pseudonym "Claudius Cuculiformus" made obscene amounts of money off the Boy-Who-Lived hype, selling adventure tales, children's stories, and, most laughable of all, Boy-Who-Lived dolls for all the little girls to play with.

But with that one word, it all changed. All those people who praised him, all those people who were so adamant against discrimination because of blood-status all turned on him. Because he got sorted into the wrong House. Good against Bad. Gryffindor against Slytherin. Keep it up long enough, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

He had time to spare, so he opened the section that contained all the news articles he'd collected over the years.

HARRY POTTER: MURDERER?

Boy Who Lived: Boy Who Killed?

Following "Hogwarts Professor dead!"

June 4th, 1992

By correspondent Rita Skeeter

One of our trusted sources found out last night that the late Professor Quirinus Quirrell had not simply died. No, it appears that Professor Quirrell was actually killed while trying to locate the famed 'Philosopher's Stone', a creation of Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel (who were unavailable for commentary). It is not yet known who killed him. However, we have uncovered that none other than Harry Potter was the only person who was with him when he died.

Potter, known as the 'Boy Who Lived', is currently in his first year at Hogwarts and is notoriously housed in Slytherin.

This new information raises a lot of troubling questions: Why would Professor Quirrell try to locate this stone? Why was Potter there as well? What could an eleven year old boy possibly want with such a powerful and precious artefact?

Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts, assured us that the stone is safe, and that the Flamels have given permission to destroy it as soon as possible. He also claims that Professor Quirrell was a dark wizard, intent on stealing the Stone for his personal gain. He does not, however, answer any questions about Potter, which leaves the question: are your students safe at Hogwarts? Does the headmaster have his school under control?

Meanwhile, the Board of Governors has filed an official complaint against Dumbledore for interfering with the investigation of Quirrell's death. Mr Lucius Malfoy, member of the Board of Governors, has the following to say about it:

"One of the tasks of the Governors is to ensure the students of Hogwarts that they can happily learn in a safe and secure environment. The death of Mr Quirrell has shocked us all, and we wonder how safe Hogwarts really is under the leadership of Dumbledore."

More concerning this matter on page 4.

A short biography about Harry Potter can be found on page 6.


He wondered how Rita Skeeter found out all this. She must have overheard something she shouldn't have, because he couldn't imagine Albus Dumbledore freely revealing this much information about the happenings at his school. The man liked his secrets too much for that.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE SUSPENDED AS HEADMASTER!

May 9th, 1993

On the night of May 8th, an official request to remove Albus Dumbledore, age 111, as the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was unanimously signed by the Ministry of Magic's Board of Governors. This decision has been made following the numerous attacks on Hogwarts students the past year, the culprit being the mysterious 'Heir of Slytherin'.

Mr Lucius Malfoy, head of the Board of Governors, has the following to say about this radical decision:

"We, the members of the Board of Governors, are terribly concerned for the safety of the Hogwarts students. It has become clear this year that the Headmaster can no longer guarantee this safety of our children. Many of us were already shocked by the death of Professor Quirinus Quirrell last year and the fact that the Headmaster let Harry Potter go unpunished, following this tragic happening. And now there are these horrible attacks on students, a cat, and even one of the resident Ghosts of the castle. It was enough for us, and we decided to take action. We hope that by removing Albus Dumbledore as a headmaster and assigning a new, more competent figure next school year will help us make Hogwarts a safe and proper school again."

Some Ministry officials have been talking about closing the school to ensure the safety of the students. An official proposal hasn't been made yet, but we at the Daily Prophet think that this is only a matter of time.

Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall will temporarily assume the role of Headmistress, and her decision is to have the school remain open for now.

Rumours suggest that Harry Potter is guilty of these attacks, as he was seen at a scene of crime at two separate occasions, among which the first one, on the eve of Halloween.
Witnesses say that when they walked back to their dormitories after the traditional Halloween Feast and came across this scene, they found the presence of none other than Harry Potter himself. Mr Potter was unavailable for commentary, but Mr Draco Malfoy, 12, son of Lucius Malfoy, was gracious enough to grant us an interview:

"[…] When I came around the corner, I saw Potter standing there, very close to the cat […] No, I didn't see him casting any spells, but Potter did look very nervous, like he was caught doing something illegal. […] After a while, we were sent away by the Headmaster."

It has also become clear that Potter is a Parselmouth, a trait that is commonly considered Dark Magic, because of its relation to Dark Wizards through the ages, most notable examples being Salazar Slytherin and, most recently, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. There are some Ministry officials who would like to bring Mr. Potter into pre-emptive custody and question him about the attacks and the death of Quirinus Quirrell.

A chronology of the Hogwarts Attacks can be found on page 7.

The full interview with Lucius Malfoy can be found on page 9.


MADNESS AT HOGWARTS!

May 30th, 1993

Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry has been host to a series of peculiar and mysterious events yesterday. Lionel Wartstump, reporter for the Daily Prophet, has made a report of the event:
Under mysterious circumstances yesterday, Harry Potter, 12, entered the Chamber of Secrets, a mythical chamber deep within Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that many previously considered merely a myth. He emerged some time later with Ginevra Weasley, age 11.

Eye witnesses state that both had looked rather tired, their robes were filthy and torn, and Potter had an extremely large amount of blood on his robes. Most puzzling perhaps was that they were in the presence of a Phoenix. Both were unavailable for commentary, as we were denied access to the school's Hospital Wing, where both students are currently resting.

According to Albus Dumbledore, Potter had apparently killed the monster of Slytherin, which turned out to be a Basilisk (!). The Heir of Slytherin turned out to be, as quoted by the Headmaster: "a dark artefact controlling the monster [...]"

Dumbledore, who was reinstated as Headmaster of Hogwarts after the happenings of yesterday, provided little more information. His title as headmaster was given back to him after multiple members of the Board of Governors revealed that they were blackmailed into signing the document that forced Dumbledore's removal as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Sadly, their memories regarding this matter seemed to have been tempered with, and the culprit is still unknown. The DMLE is currently investigating these allegations.

The limited information we've been given only raises more questions. What was a little girl doing in the Chamber of Secrets? How did Potter know where to find the entrance? How did he kill the monster?
Anita Charlesbury, Healer at St Mungo's and granddaughter of Henry Charlesbury, the famous Potions Master who invented the restorative draught that had been used to revive the students, the cat and the ghost that had been petrified by the basilisk's stare, has the following to say about it:

"I think it's a plot to clear Potter's name," she said in an interview with Ms Rita Skeeter. "Potter is dangerous. He killed a professor and he's also a parselmouth. It's a rather suspicious coincidence, if you ask me, that the monster turned out to be a basilisk. Potter is a Parselmouth, after all. He can talk to snakes, and if he can talk to a basilisk, he could also command them to do his bidding, couldn't he? [...] If the story is true, how could Potter kill it? Why would he even have to if he could just talk to the beast? It wouldn't surprise me if he used Dark Magic to murder it."

Mrs Charlesbury raises good questions that will hopefully be answered soon. Meanwhile, Hogwarts remains open despite severe doubts and some protests from the Ministry.

A detailed statement from Albus Dumbledore can be found on page 5.

The full interview with Mrs Anita Charlesbury can be found also on page 5.


There was no more doubt after reading this. Harry Potter was not just in the wrong place at the wrong time. No, there was more going on than what was reported in the newspapers, and it troubled him greatly. For months after this article appeared in the newspaper he'd had the same sentence stuck in his head: not again.

MASS-MURDERER SIRIUS BLACK ESCAPED FROM AZKABAN!

July 6th, 1993

Earlier today, on July the 6th, Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban and is currently on the run from the Ministry. The Department of Magical Law enforcement has mentioned in an official press conference that they have started a manhunt immediately and will be using Dementors to attempt to capture Black.

We of the Daily Prophet urge you to be extremely cautious. Black is the first person to have escaped from the prison in its nearly 200 year history, yet no one knows how he did so. The DMLE doesn't exclude the possibility that he used Dark Magic to escape.

Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge has issued a statement regarding the escape:

"We at the Ministry are of course deeply shocked by this event and we will be doing a full investigation on how Black escaped. No other criminal shall escape Azkaban under my watch. And rest assured, the Aurors are doing everything they can to apprehend Black. I can guarantee you that he'll be back in Azkaban before you know it."

Black, 33, is notorious for killing thirteen people with one curse in 1981, one of the victims being the late Peter Pettigrew, Order of Merlin, First Class, and former friend of Black. The Ministry warns all witches and wizards not to approach Black, but to contact the Ministry as soon as possible in the case of a sighting instead.

More about Sirius Black on page 3.

A transcript of the press conference held by the Ministry can be found on page 24.


Well, it was now almost half a year later, and Black was still not apprehended. So much for Fudge's promise. But that was not surprising to him. That British Ministry was a working disaster that needed a good shake-up.

He had wondered why Black escaped, apart from the Dementors and cursed walls of Azkaban. Personally, he'd rather die than be locked up there. But there had to be something else behind it. He had his suspicions back then, he was sure of it now. For him, the most important part of this had been that it was yet another event that was connected to Harry Potter.

The moment he first saw that article was when he stopped sitting on the side-lines, and the past four months he had Potter thoroughly watched and followed. He had no choice. All the warning signs were there, and he knew he would never forgive himself if he ignored them.

He sighed and turned another few pages. Now he was getting to the section that he despised the most: gossip magazines. He had no shame in collecting pages from Teen Witch Weekly, but reading it always guaranteed to make him nauseous. Still, the gossipy magazine often wrote about Potter, and, more importantly, held interviews with his classmates. He wasn't about to let such valuable insights pass by.

He eyed a garish, cluttered page with a heart-shaped picture of Potter prominently smacked in the middle in distaste, and resignedly began reading.

HARRY POTTER: CUTE, DARK, MYSTERIOUS; TAKEN?

24th of October, 1993

Although Harry Potter is generally seen as a dangerous fellow, few witches can argue with his dark, mysterious attraction. What lies beneath that cute, maturing exterior? What secrets does the teen hide behind those gorgeous green eyes? Many girls have been dying to find out for a long time, but Harry has remained a true mystery to everyone. Until now.

Because it seems that our controversial superstar is growing up. A few of our readers have told us that lately Harry has been seen more and more often in the company of another girl: Ginny Weasley! Is love blooming in the air?

Ginny, 12, a Pureblood witch from Devon, briefly made the national news last summer when she was kidnapped and taken into the fabled Chamber of Secrets. Little is known about what really happened down there, but it now seems that the two involved students have formed a bond over it.

Mandy Brocklehurst, 13, is one of our readers that tipped us off about this new, exciting development:

"Yes, they're almost inseparable lately! Ginny is in a lower year of course, so they still have separate classes, but apparently that's no problem! […] No, I haven't seen them kiss. Ginny does often give Harry a hug when she leaves for her lessons, but I haven't seen anything else. And if you ask me, it's often just Ginny that hugs him. Harry doesn't hug her back!"

Other readers report about the same. Is it really love, or is it just friendship? Or does the lack of more intimate contact from Harry's side indicate unrequited love, and will poor Ginny have her heart broken?

Although most of us are happy for Harry if he did indeed find himself his first love, there are a few readers who are less pleased with this new development. Pansy Parkinson, 13, says:

"No, of course I don't like it! Potter is dangerous! He's hurt my friend, Draco Malfoy, a lot of times for no reason! And he never talks to me either, even though we share age and House. I'm worried that a Pureblood Witch like Weasley is going to get corrupted by Potter."

We of Teen Witch Weekly will of course follow this intriguing story and keep you updated as best as we can!


Well, speaking as the man who'd heard every conversation Potter had from the moment his spy cast a whole array of charms on the boy, right before he left for Hogwarts this September, Harry and Ginny definitely aren't an item. Young Harry did manage to find himself a girl, but that blooming relationship was doomed to fail. It was tragic, really. He thought wistfully of the last time he himself felt such a spark of love, but he buried those feelings as soon as they welled up. That was over. She was gone, and had taken his heart with her.

He was mercifully interrupted from further thoughts by his mailbox glowing brightly for a moment, and a note appearing in it. He reached over as best as he could with his rapidly deteriorating body, and picked up the piece of paper.

"I've got them. Not safe anymore with Aurors around. Bringing them home."

That was all it said, but it was enough for him. More than enough. He smiled in triumph and relief, and closed his notebook. He stood up, walked out through the small front door and took a deep breath of the wintry fresh mountain air.

Finally. Months and months he waited and waited, but that was all over now. His spy, his adopted daughter named Selene, had done it. Oh, how proud he was of her. She was damaged, he knew, and a danger to herself. But perhaps… perhaps this new development would be good for her.

He opened his eyes and looked around at his surroundings. The view was still as stunning as it was that day he first arrived here, bruised and bloodied, with a crying little girl clinging to him for dear life.

"It's happening, my darling," he whispered into the night. "It won't be long, now."

He would have been quite content to simply stand there just a little longer, but he had much more important things to do. He patted his thighs, turned around abruptly and entered his house again. There was a lot to be done now, and he knew time would be running out soon.

{}---{}---{}

At that very same time, much further south, separated from millions of Londoners by only a thin layer of cobble, piping, clay, the remains of civilizations long fallen, and an old reinforced ceiling, the British Wizengamot assembled.

Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, seated at his central position in the body, was impressed by the attendance. It wasn't often that every seat was filled. Last time was… well; only half a year ago, but circumstances were dire lately. It reminded him a lot of the War that ended twelve years ago, and he didn't like it one bit.

"All those in favour of increasing the budget of the Auror Office?" A shaky, fragile old man named Bertie Butterby asked from the seat of the Supreme Mugwump. The usually commanding presence of Albus Dumbledore wasn't there, as the man was unable to attend.

The mess about Sirius Black, Harry Potter and that girl whose name Cornelius couldn't quite remember centred on Hogwarts, after all, and there was much to be done there as well. Dumbledore had to make a choice between the Wizengamot and the school tonight, and as always he chose the latter. Cornelius held up his hand along with almost everyone else. He was pleased with the outcome of the vote, but not surprised.

"All those against?" Bertie asked. Only a few older Purebloods held up their hands, no doubt displeased about the increasing taxes this meant.

"It has been accepted, then. The new budget for the Auror Office has been approved, and it will take effect starting this January." A pleased murmur filled the large chamber.

"Attention please!" Bertie called as best has his throat would allow. It was only the eagerness of everyone to go home and celebrate Christmas that quieted the council down. "Lastly then, two motions have been requested by Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge." Cornelius felt a thrill from the attention suddenly aimed at him. Bertie spoke again.

"Ahem. Motion number one reads: "that Sirius Orion Black, convicted of betraying the Potter family and killing thirteen people, suspect in the kidnapping of Ginevra Molly Weasley, be sentenced with the Dementor's Kiss, and that it be enforced immediately upon capture.""

Again people started murmuring, this time much more excitedly. Bertie once again called everyone's attention. He had to use his hammer a few times.

"All those in favour?" Everyone raised their hand.

"All those against?" It was only a formality, of course. "It is accepted." Though that was drowned out by the many conversations that sprung up immediately, ranging from gossip about the happenings of the past few days, to how everyone would be celebrating Christmas when this emergency meeting was over.

"Attention please, attention please!" The crowd grew silent again, but this time it was a charged, agitated silence. Everyone knew what the last motion would read. Everyone knew it would become the headline of newspapers across Britain, perhaps even across the entire Wizarding World, for days to come. Bertie adjusted his glasses with frail, shaking hands.

"Ahem, thank you. The second motion reads: "that Harry James Potter, guilty of assaulting Hogwarts Professor Remus John Lupin, suspected accomplice of convicted criminal Sirius Orion Black, suspect in the kidnapping of Ginevra Molly Weasley, and suspect of opening the Chamber of Secrets and threatening the entire population of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry by unleashing a Basilisk within the school, be outcast in all of Britain, and arrested immediately upon sight.""

A few whispers and hushes.

"All those in favour?" Cornelius held up his hand with as much conviction as he could, hoping it would sway the last few that were still in doubt. He looked around. It was going to be close. Very, very close. Bertie took his time counting.

"All those against?" Cornelius held his breath. These were the moments that could make or break Ministers. Making the Boy Who Lived an outcast was incredibly risky. He wanted to sentence the brat to Azkaban for a very long time as well, but then he would overextend his hand, and that would almost certainly lead to a Vote of No Confidence, ending his precious reign as Minister for Magic immediately. He wasn't about to let that happen. Bertie, aided by the secretary next to him, counted the hands again. Finally he spoke.

"It is accepted."

The room erupted, but Cornelius was too relieved to be bothered by that. He breathed out shakily. He was good. Sometimes risk does pay off.

After a few minutes things calmed down again. Bertie closed the meeting and the members of the Wizengamot started exiting the courtroom. Cornelius made his obligatory round of greetings to the Wizengamot members, but he had little time today, even though it was Christmas. He caught the eye of Lucius Malfoy, his biggest source of income, and then exited the courtroom.

He turned right instead of left, and ambled down the dark, imposing corridor as fast as his pudgy form allowed. He didn't have to look behind him to know that he was being followed. Finally satisfied that he was out of hearing distance of the people exiting the courtroom, he turned around and waited for the other man to catch up.

"That went rather well, don't you think, Lucius?" He asked the tall, aristocratic man.

"As well as it could have gone, I'd say," Lucius replied. "But the fact remains that Black is still at large, and those two children are now with him, voluntarily or not. And don't forget that they've escaped the Aurors in Paris just last night too. I heard the French Ministry wasn't too happy with a destroyed train and hundreds of deeply shocked Muggles, claiming to have seen "de la magie". I think we can only rest easy once they're apprehended and dealt with accordingly."

"Yes, I definitely agree with that," Cornelius said, cringing slightly at the mention of the failed Auror mission in France. In less than an hour he would be meeting with the French Minister for Magic, and, more worryingly, the moody, impatient and oh so arrogant Roi of Wizarding France, King Charles IX. He wasn't looking forward to it in the slightest. This morning's Daily Prophet was all too eager to write about the Ministry's incompetence, too. He hoped he would be able to work his way out of all this pressure.

"We should have arrested Potter while we still had the chance," Lucius said.

"Of course, of course, but you know how it is, dear man. As Minister for Magic, you're always one misstep away from a vote of non-confidence. And don't forget that the Department of Magical Law Enforcement had blocked every single attempt to bring the boy in, too."

"True," Lucius said. "But still. Potter is now with Black, and they've taken the girl with them now, too. We can only guess at what they're up to."

They stopped their conversation as a few Ministry employees walked by.

"Afternoon, Minister," one said, nodding at the pair, but eyeing Cornelius' advisor warily. The man's reputation wasn't quite what it used to be after those rumours surrounding the Board of Governors and the Chamber of Secrets. They nodded back and waited until they were around the corner before they spoke again.

"But let's not despair, Lucius, the trace is still working. We can't quite track them down now, but once they step out of line, we'll know their exact whereabouts, regardless of their location."

"Unless they're in a country that blocks our magic monitors."

"That would only be a minor setback, Lucius. It's all politics: anyone can be persuaded."

"True," Lucius said. "Very true."

"Anyway, we haven't got all day. Places to be, you know, I've still got a long night ahead of me… Err, you know the way out, don't you?"

"I certainly do. Good luck in France, Cornelius."

"I'll need it. Afternoon, Lucius. Give my regards to Narcissa and Draco, will you? And congratulations on the upcoming betrothal of your son, by the way."

"Thank you, Minister."

{}---{}---{}

Many miles north, in one of the few towers of the castle that still had light shining behind the windows, Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts sank into his chair behind his desk in his office. Despite his age, he very rarely had moments where he truly believed he was getting too old, but when he did, like now for instance, it came in full force.

But it wasn't really just the happenings of the past few days that made him so tired, although getting shouted at by a desperate and hysteric Molly Weasley for half an hour certainly didn't help. No, the trouble started the day Sybil Trelawney made that prophecy. Or maybe the day he invited Tom Riddle to Hogwarts. Perhaps even the day man was given an "us versus them" way of thinking. In the end, that night twelve years ago, he, the very same person who had invited Tom Riddle to Hogwarts, had to decide over young Harry's fate. He would never know whether he'd made the right decision.

He was saved from further thoughts by Severus Snape coming up the staircase leading into his office.

"Come in, Severus," he said after discretely changing the plain wooden chair in front of his desk into a pink fluffy sofa. Albus found it looked enticingly comfortable. He looked up, and the only man with whom he could share his worries and thoughts about Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort strode into the room. His sneer was a bit more pronounced, and he eyed the chair with displeasure.

"Good evening, Headmaster."

"Good evening, Severus," Albus said. "Sit down. How are you enjoying Christmas thus far?"

"The only hope for the entire Wizarding World has been abducted by Sirius Black," Severus replied without preamble. He sank down into the chair. "And Sybil has had too much sherry again. She is currently predicting the most horrible deaths of all of the staff members."

"Ah, yes, dear Sybil does have a knack for the dramatic, doesn't she? Why, only a few months ago she told me a centaur would break into my office and-" Severus made an impatient noise. Albus sighed, and decided to get to the matters at hand. "I suppose you're right. Circumstances are dire, indeed. But I'm afraid we can't do much about it, now that they've apparently disappeared into the continent."

"And you're sure that wasn't a ploy? They could very well only have gone to Paris just to fool everyone into thinking they're actually leaving Britain."

"Quick to point out the problem as always, Severus," Albus said. "We don't know anything. Right now, the Ministry has a better chance of finding them, with the trace still active on Mr Potter and Miss Weasley."

"And your monitors don't show Potter's location?"

"No. They only show me that he is in a perfectly good condition, and his mother's protection seems unaffected still. The protections around the Dursley's house have fallen, so that must mean that the Ministry did indeed outcast Harry."

"But the fact that he's still in good health confirms that the boy is in cahoots with Black," Severus said. "If not, both children would be dead by now."

"It seems that there's no other explanation, Severus. I must admit that this is the last thing I expected from Harry."

"You always were blinded around the boy, Albus. The signs were there. Yes, the newspapers were quick to condemn him without knowing all of the true happenings, but you still knew he wasn't like you'd hoped he would be."

Albus stroked his long beard. "I admit that you're right. Hindsight is, at moments like these, a terrible thing."
"Of course I'm right!" Severus hissed. "You saw him, sneaking around in the Restricted Section, always gathering more knowledge outside of normal curriculum. I know my House, and I know its history, Albus. And so do you."

"But you must not forget that it was your House that drove him to his isolation in the first place, Severus. No, Harry being a curious and eager student wasn't what worried me. It was more that he never sought out my help. Or anyone else's for that matter. He acted on his own, and thus without any restriction." He took off his small half-moon spectacles and tiredly rubbed his eyes.

"So you've lost all control over the boy," Severus said.

"I have," he sighed.

"And now?"

Albus put on his glasses and stared out the window again. The sun was disappearing behind the mountaintops now, and one by one, the houses of Hogsmeade were being lit for the night.

"I don't know."


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130085