Don't Let Me Down by Bekah Jo



Summary: After the Dark Lord has been defeated during the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry is finally able to rekindle his relationship with Ginny and work on building a normal life. When He, Ron, and Hermione are given the chance to return to their beloved school, everyone is ecstatic, except Harry. An amazing opportunity has Harry thinking his future lies elsewhere.
Rating: R starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Post-Hogwarts
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2016.07.05
Updated: 2018.08.30


Don't Let Me Down by Bekah Jo
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

Chapter 1



Harry sat in the circular office, surrounded by a variety of new and familiar faces. To his immediate left sat Ron, clutching the hand of a trembling Hermione. To his right, Percy Weasley diligently sat, quill in hand, transcribing every word of the ongoing conversation. Across from him, sharing the, now Headmistress’, desk were Minerva McGonagall and Kingsley Shacklebolt. Several other ministry officials occupied conjured chairs, silently taking in the testimony of the three teenagers before them. The subjects in the portraits of former Hogwarts Headmasters, who usually feigned slumber during serious discussions, were bright eyed and reveling in the tales of the past year.

Two portraits played a very integral part in helping the trio tell their story. Former headmasters Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape helped in confirming facts that would otherwise seem outlandish and impossible for a teenager to accomplish. They also shared their own knowledge at parts of the story where Harry was only able to speculate.

Harry slumped back in his own chair, after having painstakingly relived the evening that they had narrowly escaped Malfoy Manor. Professor Dumbledore gave him a comforting smile and nod, his blue eyes twinkling behind half moon spectacles. They were concluding the third, and final, day of questioning.

“Harry,” Kingsley started, “I understand you’re carrying a heavy burden at the moment, but I don’t want you to feel like you need to defend the Malfoys. They are all intelligent and highly skilled wizards. There was no confusion on their part when they pledged their loyalty to Lord Voldemort.”

Harry sighed and nodded. “I understand Minister, and I hope that you don’t confuse my moment of pity here for compassion. I certainly don’t think they should be let off the hook for their crimes. But possibly some leniency shown in their punishments. This last year, possibly two, I truly don’t think they stuck by Lord Voldemort’s side out of want, but out of fear. Fear, as we have learned, can compel great men to do terrible things.” Harry muttered the last sentence, attempting to avoid Dumbledore’s gaze. It did not, however, escape Dumbledore’s ears.

“I don’t think truer words have ever been spoken by someone so young,” the former headmaster acquiesced, with another humble smile.

Harry glanced up, relieved, and gave him an appreciative nod. He blew out a breath he hadn’t realized he had been holding and added,”Plus, Mrs. Malfoy saved my life on Saturday evening. Even if it was for purely selfish reasons on her part, I wouldn’t be sitting here today without her.” Harry gently touched the spot on his chest where Voldemort’s second, unsuccessful killing curse had landed. Still quite tender to the touch, Madame Pomfrey couldn’t confirm how long the visible bruising would last, but was certain that over time it would fade.

Kingsley nodded in understanding and asked no more. “I can’t make any promises as to what their punishments will be. They of course will have to stand their own individual trials, but we will certainly call upon your testimony to help the Wizengamot make their final decisions.” He shuffled through a few pieces of parchment on the desk, murmuring and pointing out a few bits to Professor McGonagall, who nodded curtly in agreement. “Well then,” Kingsley’s smooth baritone voice announced, “Unless you fine gentlemen and ladies have anything further to discuss, I think we can satisfactorily conclude our inquiry.”

“Thank Merlin,” Ron whispered. Hermione let out the sobs she had been holding in since describing her torture under Bellatrix Lestrange, and buried her face in Ron’s shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her and murmured soothingly into her hair.

The other ministry officials echoed their agreement and stood at once. One by one, they shook Kingsley’s hand and quickly strode to the fireplace, loudly declaring their destinations and vanishing in a whoosh of green flames. Kingsley himself gathered up his quills and parchment pieces, then gestured for Harry to join him as he walked to the grate.

“I know this was difficult Harry, but we all very much appreciate your cooperation. Ron and Hermione’s also, of course,” Kingsley said, as he reached out to shake Harry’s hand. “I can imagine that the only thing on your mind right now is a hot meal and warm bed.”

Harry gave a weak smile as he grasped the Minister’s hand. “They definitely top the list.” Harry let the face of a comforting, fiery redhead float through his mind for a split second before Kingsley interrupted his thoughts.

“Professor McGonagall will only keep you three a few moments longer to discuss a couple of things. I’d like to talk to you though, privately, about some options for your future.” Kingsley scooped some floo powder into his fist and stepped into the hearth. “Expect to hear from me in June.” He gave Harry one last smile before booming, “Ministry of Magic!” and disappearing into the flames.

“Right, Mr. Potter, can you rejoin us please,” Professor McGonagall called from her desk. She vanished the extra chairs and motioned for Harry to reclaim his. Harry sat back down beside Ron, who was still holding Hermione against his chest. Her sobs had transitioned into hiccups and sniffles.With 2 flicks of her wand, McGonagall conjured a goblet of water and handkerchief. “Here you are Miss Granger,” she said gently, as she floated the items across to Hermione.

“Thank you Professor,” Hermione squeaked, between hiccups. She took a sip of water and blew her nose. After a few deep breaths she was able to relax back into her chair.

“As Kingsley said, I promise not to keep you all much longer,” Professor McGonagall started. “I just wanted to inform you that Hogwarts will extending invitations, to all the current seventh years, for the chance to repeat their final school year and sit their N.E.W.T.s. I hardly consider this year an example of a well rounded education,” she added with a huff. “It, of course, is not mandatory. You’re all of age and free to choose your own paths for the future, but I wanted to let you know that if you so choose, Hogwarts will gladly welcome you back for another year.”

Hermione’s face brightened at this news. Harry knew that her mind was whirling with the idea of returning to school and securing her N.E.W.T levels. She started to get a bit flustered as thoughts and questions raced through her mind. “Really Professor?!” Professor McGonagall smiled and nodded. “Wow, this is wonderful news!” She looked over at Ron and Harry, grinning, and started shaking Ron’s arm “We get to have one more year in the castle!”

Ron gave her an obligatory grin, but Harry could tell the thought of N.E.W.T. exams made his stomach churn. Almost on cue, Ron clutched his middle and attempted to suppress a groan as he replied, “Yeah, brilliant, thanks Professor.”

Professor McGonagall gave another nod and stood up. “Take some time to rest up and think about it. You don’t need to decide here and now. But you can expect to receive your letters and list of supplies in about a month or so. You can reply with your decisions at that time.” She walked around to the front of her desk as the three of them stood up. In a surprising move, she swooped in and gave each one a tight hug. “Thank you for all you have done and sacrificed. The wizarding world will not soon forget it. I’m so proud to call you Gryffindors.” Her eyes glistened as she beamed at them and smoothed a wrinkle in her robes.

Harry instinctively looked up at the sword of Godric Gryffindor, gleaming in its case. As he looked away, Dumbledore caught his eye. The headmaster gave him a final smile and wink. Harry smiled back and followed Professor McGonagall to the fireplace.

“Go on now,” the headmistress instructed. “Get some well deserved rest.”

One by one, they grabbed a handful of floo powder. Hermione stepped into the fireplace and called out, “The Burrow!” Once she had made her exit, Ron followed. As soon as the fireplace was empty again, Harry took his turn. His last vision was Professor McGonagall smiling proudly at him, tears streaking her cheeks. Within seconds, he was spun furiously until the headmistresses office melted into the sight of the Weasley’s kitchen.

As he stepped out of the grate, Harry noticed Ginny sitting at the table, bundled up in a faded purple robe, greeting Ron and Hermione. The moment she noticed Harry, brushing soot off his jeans, she flew out of her seat and wrapped her arms around him. He gratefully pulled her into him and just held her, burying his head in her hair. He felt like he could have stood there all night, holding her in his arms….making up for lost time. He finally made himself give her a gentle squeeze and slowly stepped back, letting his hand linger for an extra second on her hip.

“What time is it?” Harry asked, as he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. The scene out the window, above the sink, showed a black velvet sky, dotted with a crescent moon and stars. Between trying to fight off nightmares in order to gain a moment of sleep and sitting for lengthy ministry inquiries, dates and times had become an illusion.

“Eleven-thirty,” Ginny whispered. “Wednesday night,” she supplied, as Harry’s face contorted, trying to do his calculations.

“You should be asleep,” Harry said, reaching out and squeezing her hand.

“I couldn’t sleep without knowing you three were back safely,” Ginny replied. She returned the hand squeeze and gave him a tug towards the stairs. “Come on, mum set up Percy’s old room for you. Hermione, I believe she set up Bill and Charlie’s room for you.”

Harry nodded and let her guide him up to the second floor. Ron escorted Hermione up two more floors to Bill and Charlie’s old room. Harry lingered at Percy’s door and turned to face Ginny, who was still holding his hand. “It’s…..I….” Harry stumbled over words, trying to figure out how to turn his thoughts into sentences.

Ginny smiled and shook her head. “I know,” she whispered. She brushed a light kiss over the top of his hand and then made her way down to her bedroom, on the first floor.

Harry let himself into Percy’s room and quietly closed the door, relieved when it uttered no loud creaks. He stripped down to his boxers, placed his glasses on the nightstand, and crawled under the warm quilt. He lied there, staring at the ceiling, wrestling with the thought of how he was going to tell the others that he had no desire to return to Hogwarts.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130094