Darkness Within by MollyandArthur



Summary: Tom Riddle opened the Chamber of Secrets while he was a student at Hogwarts. He committed another horrific act that same year. Now decades later, the students of Hogwarts continue to be impacted by his crimes. How will Ginny and her friends handle the darkness within?
Rating: R starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2016.07.28
Updated: 2016.11.11


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 No One Could Hear
Chapter 2: Chapter 2 Longbottom Manor
Chapter 3: Chapter 3 Diagon Alley
Chapter 4: Chapter 4 Sirius Black
Chapter 5: Chapter 5 The Hogwarts Express
Chapter 6: Chapter 6 Hogwarts
Chapter 7: Chapter 7 Holidays
Chapter 8: Chapter 8 Secrets and Questions
Chapter 9: Chapter 9 Gringotts
Chapter 10: Chapter 10 Spring
Chapter 11: Chapter 11 Lessons and Exams
Chapter 12: Chapter 12 Party at the Manor
Chapter 13: Chapter 13 The Burrow
Chapter 14: Chapter 14 Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 15: Chapter 15 The Woods
Chapter 16: Chapter 16 Back to Hogwarts
Chapter 17: Chapter 17 Triwizard Champions
Chapter 18: Chapter 18 Dragons
Chapter 19: Chapter 19 The Yule Ball
Chapter 20: Chapter 20 The Second Task
Chapter 21: Chapter 21 Speculations and Fears
Chapter 22: Chapter 22 The Maze
Chapter 23: Chapter 23 Alive


Chapter 1: Chapter 1 No One Could Hear

Author's Notes: Realizing I probably shouldn't be admitting this - but decided to do it anyway. This story really is more of a prequel setting up the bulk of the exciting action of this lengthy tale which is Darkness Within II. While I would love for readers to read this first, as long as you start the second book with an open mind to a few canonical changes and accept Neville's cousin as a character in the story, you can probably jump right in and keep up ;)


Chapter 1 No One Could Hear

Shadows crept around her as Katherine sped nervously through the cloistered halls of Hogwarts. Wisps of honey blonde hair escaped from the bun she had put in that morning as she climbed one staircase after another. With the strange events that had been occurring in the castle lately, it was not wise to be out so late. Yet as Head Girl she had every right to be out past curfew. The corridors seemed deserted and silent. Nonetheless, she felt she was being watched from all angles.

As she walked from the library towards her dorm room in Gryffindor tower, she thought about the Potions NEWT exam that would be given in just a couple of months. Professor Slughorn, her Potions master, had dropped a subtle hint that their next class assignment would surely be covered on the test. For a moment, she let her mind wander. Katherine was determined to earn an ‘outstanding’ on the exam. The sharp young girl was thinking about her future career as a potion master herself when she bumped into a tall boy with jet black hair on the stairwell.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” she exclaimed. The embarrassment was apparent in her voice. Katherine blushed nervously when she recognized the fifth year Slytherin prefect now blocking her path. She clutched her bag closer to her as she made to move around him. “How clumsy of me!”

“No, I am sorry. I should have been paying attention to where I was walking,” he responded. There was a haughty air to Tom’s voice that she couldn’t quite put her finger on. It was as if he harbored some secret and was just dying to let her in on every detail. “I have been so worried about the odd things that have been happening here of late.” With a deliberate pause, Tom clutched his prominent chin.

His eyes shifted towards the vaulted ceiling above them, one hand tugged at his green and silver class scarf as his piercing gaze met Katherine’s. “Could I possibly ask for your advice?”

“Umm…” Katherine averted her gaze to her keenly polished shoes. Tom continued as if he had not only her full attention, but her consent as well.

“I am concerned about something, but I hesitate to go to the Headmaster about it without the advice of someone in a position of authority, or at least more authority than I currently possess,” he explained.

Katherine got the strong impression that it pained him that he was beholden to her position, but he covered his disdain with a wan smile.

“May I have a moment of your time?” Tom pleaded with feigned sincerity, and the subsequent hush between them in the stairwell was unsettling. He took a deep breath and exhaled with a sigh. “I really need your opinion.”

“Uh…of course,” Katherine stammered as she strengthened her resolve. “I will certainly try to help you in any way I can.” She forced a smile and tried to remain calm. Katherine had never felt comfortable around Tom. There was always something rather odd about him. Yet Headmaster Dippet seemed to like the boy, and Professor Slughorn thought well of him. Katherine and Tom were both frequently invited to “Slug Club” events. Despite his creepiness, Tom was popular and well liked in the halls of Hogwarts. As Head Girl it was her responsibility to help the prefects, and that included Tom. Despite her misgivings, Katherine was determined to do her job well.

“Thank you.” Tom’s response seemed stilted and forced as he gestured to a heavy oak door. “Perhaps we could talk in this classroom. I don’t want to be overheard. I greatly appreciate your willingness to assist me.”

He led her into the empty classroom, then spun on one heel to cast a locking and silencing charm on the door with his wand. It had been concealed in the folds of his scarf the entire time. Katherine was clearly alarmed by this, but tried not to show it. “Tom, are such drastic measures really necessary?”

“I told you.” His serpentine voice seethed from behind clenched teeth. “I don’t want to be overheard by anyone.” Tom crossed his arms as he tightened his fingers around the wand. “This is important.”

Katherine thrust her hands on her hips and addressed the prefect with every ounce of courage she could muster. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I want to know why so many of the boys in my house are enthralled by witches.” The young man looked genuinely puzzled. What an odd question, she mused. Katherine struggled to figure him out, but drew a blank as he chattered on, his voice rising into a command. “You will help me learn that and understand what they are talking about. Right here. Tonight!”

She grabbed for her own wand just as Tom sent a disarming spell her way. With uncanny reflexes, he caught her wand and calmly placed it on a table behind him — as if he knew he was in total control of their exchange.

Katherine backed against the wall. She begged for him to leave her alone, but he approached her with undaunted malice. “Tom you will let me go this instant or so help me…”

Emboldened, he continued to walk toward her slowly as he stripped off his clothing, piece by piece. Katherine screamed for help as he neared her, but no one could hear her behind the heavy door.

No help was coming. Tom began to breathe heavily as he reached out a slender hand to grasp for her throat.

*************************************************************************************

Ginny Weasley cried out as she witnessed the memory of violation that Tom Riddle forced her to watch through the pages of the diary. Although it had happened so many years ago, she felt as if she were standing there in the locked classroom — completely mute and powerless to stop the assault upon the Head Girl.

“No!” Ginny sobbed as she watched the girl scream and try to fight her attacker. The struggling girl was pinned to the wall with magical restraints, and her clothing was vanished with a wave of Tom’s wand.

“Please don’t do this! I’m betrothed! Please let me go!” Her begging fell on deaf ears.

Diabolically, Tom laughed as he struck her across the face. “You should feel privileged,” he hissed as his hand nearly lifted her off the stone floor.

“What?” she rasped and kicked at him.

“My dear, you are my first. I am honoring you of being worthy of me.” He tore away his last article of clothing and pushed himself into her. The girl began to scream again, and Ginny cried out in horror at the lurid sight of it all. Then, the vision dematerialized.

Tom crowed in triumph, sneering, “Silly little girl,” before Ginny collapsed on the ground in the chamber.

*************************************************************************************

Anna heard the unusual clamor of raised voices disturbing the typical peace of the house. She left her bedroom and stole down the stairs on tiptoes. The house was still decorated for Christmas. Prickly evergreen garland with large red bows wrapped around the smooth wooden railing. She paused near the bottom of the staircase. Once again, her grandmother and father were arguing in the living room. They had rarely ever argued about anything while she was growing up, but recently, something had changed.

“She will not go to England, and she will not attend school at Hogwarts! I forbid it!” The stately voice of the elder Katherine resounded forcefully.

“I’m sorry, but it’s not your decision to make. I am her father, and her mother expressly wished for her to attend Hogwarts. You’ve done a wonderful job raising and teaching Anna since her mother died, but I have to think about her future, and with you being so ill…” He caught himself and quickly moved to redirect the subject. “I’m sorry but sending Anna off to school is the best option we have. Besides, think of her untapped potential! Of the talent she has -- ”

“She will not be safe in England,” her grandmother nearly shouted. “No. There’s nothing at all for her to learn in that…that place! It’s out of the question. There are perfectly good schools for her to attend here. The academy outside of Annapolis would be an excellent choice.”

“Katherine, please be reasonable. I live and work out of London now and will for many years to come. This is an excellent opportunity for Anna,” he argued, running one hand through his hair. “It’s past time for her to be attending school somewhere, and for her to meet the few relatives in England she has left. I’ve already contacted the current Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, and he’s very happy to have Anna join the school in the fall as a third year student. She is going to Hogwarts!” Andrew thrust his fist into his open palm to underscore his position.

“You cannot take her from me.” An air of desperation overcame Katherine’s tone. “The girl is all I have left.”

“I’m not trying to take her from you,” Andrew sighed quietly. “Anna can stay with you for as long as you are able to care for her. I trust you to know when that is no longer possible.”

Katherine sagged into the closest chair and stared into the dying embers in the fireplace. She knew she was dying. The healers had made it clear that the old woman had a few months left to live. There was nothing they could do. Upon Katherine’s demise, Andrew would make all of the decisions regarding Anna’s care and schooling. There was no one else left other than a few relatives in England. Andrew had been a rather absent father due to his career, but there was no doubt that he loved his daughter and would do what he could for her.

Anna’s fated grandmother relented. “I suppose…I mean, I will do what I can to prepare her for Hogwarts.”

“Thank you Katherine. You are a wonderful grandmother to Anna. My daughter is lucky to have you.”

Anna quietly snuck back up to her bedroom. She could still hear her father and grandmother talking, but could no longer hear their words.

It was true.

It was happening.

She had been afraid for months and now she knew that her fears were justified. Her grandmother was dying and her life was about to change. Anna sat on her bed as salt tears slicked her cheeks.

*************************************************************************************

Remus Lupin checked the name of the pub once more before entering the establishment. It was in muggle London and was a nicer place than the squalid draught houses he usually frequented. Fortunately, it was also rather empty due to the time of day -- too late for lunch, too early for dinner. Remus scanned the interior looking for the man who had sent the letter arranging this meeting. It took only a moment for his eyes to meet those of a tall man with salt-and-pepper hair who had clearly been watching the door.

Remus approached him at his table and said, “Excuse me.” He leaned forward to get a closer look. “Are you Andrew Henry?”

The man stood up and smiled, while extending his hand, “Ah, yes! You must be Remus Lupin. Thank you for meeting me here.” Andrew extended a hand in a gesture of goodwill. “Please have a seat. What can I get you to drink?”

“I’ll have whatever you’re having.” Remus cleared his throat quietly as he situated himself at the table. “Thank you.”

Once the drink was ordered and delivered, Andrew began to explain his situation to Remus. “My daughter Anna is 13 years old and will be starting Hogwarts in the fall as a third year student. I need a tutor to work with her before then.” He waved his hands to emphasize his request. “You know, to catch her up on any deficits in her education.”

“Where has she been studying?” Remus peered into the glass on the table before him.

“She’s been taught at home by her grandmother for the last several years.” Andrew glanced around the pub and continued more quietly. “My mother-in-law is a formidable witch and I have no doubt Anna has been taught well, but there may be gaps in her learning. The last thing I want is for her to start her first year at Hogwarts already behind.”

“May I ask why you have decided to have her attend Hogwarts now?” Remus inquired as he picked up his glass.

“Her grandmother is dying. According to her healers, she has only a few months left to live. Anna has already lost her mother and her other grandparents. Once Katherine dies, she’ll have no relatives left in Virginia, where we are from. My career has brought me to London, so it makes sense for Anna to attend school here. She also has a few relatives here, the last name is Longbottom.” Andrew caught a glimmer in Remus’ stare. “I believe you know them.”

“Yes, I was acquainted with Frank and Alice many years ago.” Remus blinked and set down his glass. “What? Did Augusta Longbottom recommend me as a tutor?”

“Yes, she’s my daughter’s great aunt, and she did recommend you. Anna will actually be living at Longbottom Manor, and she will need to be tutored there. My career keeps me rather busy and I travel constantly, so Anna can’t live with me.” Andrew scratched his head for a moment. “Anyway, I doubt my daughter would be happy in the small flat I have here in London.”

Remus sat back for a moment. He pursed his lips and his brow furrowed as he pondered the situation. Frank and Alice had certainly been aware that he was a werewolf. Whether either of them had ever told Augusta was another matter. Nonetheless, this tutoring job sounded like an excellent opportunity.

“Exactly what type of arrangement are you looking for?”

“I would need you to be teaching Anna full time. Augusta suggested that you live at the Manor and tutor her daily from the time Anna arrives in England until she leaves for school on the first of September. I believe she’d like you to include her grandson Neville in the tutoring lessons as well over the summer.”

Andrew paused to straighten the sleeves of his suit jacket. “You have four or five days off every month, or so I’ve been told. The timing, Augusta mentioned, is of your choosing. Assuming that everyone is satisfied with the arrangement, please understand that I would like it to continue, so that you are Anna’s tutor every holiday and summer until she is of age and ready to graduate from Hogwarts.” Andrew lifted his glass and took a sip as he waited.

Remus exhaled and tapped a finger against the table. “Is there a reason your daughter will need to be tutored for such an extended period of time?”

“Honestly, she probably won’t, but my understanding is that children with licensed tutors are allowed to practice underage magic at home,” Andrew said. “Anna’s grandmother is quite insistent that Anna have a tutor so that she can continually utilize magic. I am inclined to agree, and inclined to give into Katherine’s wishes in any way I’m able.”

Andrew crossed his arms and narrowed his blue eyes at the lycanthrope. “So…are you interested in the job?”

“Very much so,” said Remus. The men hashed out the financial terms of the deal for a few minutes. Before Remus could drain his glass, the tutoring contract was signed.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2 Longbottom Manor

Author's Notes: Thanks to my husband for his help in editing this story and for encouraging me to write it.


Chapter 2
Longbottom Manor

Staring out the window into the dark night, Anna drew an unsteady breath. The darkness seemed to be approaching, closing in as the flight continued. She glanced uneasily at her father, who was reading some kind of financial report as he sipped his gin and tonic. The plane was quiet, too quiet. Anna wished they were flying in coach where there would be more people and other children, but her father always flew first class, where the silence was oppressive, the adults serious. She returned her gaze to the small window of the airplane, letting her mind wonder to the unreality of the last few days.

Her grandmother was dead.

Katherine was gone.

The funeral had been a quiet, solemn affair. Only a few mourners had been in attendance, and they left soon after the ceremony, murmuring their condolences as they departed. She had been buried next to her husband and daughter in an old cemetery in the country.

Anna had lived with her grandmother alone in her house in Virginia since her mother had died. Since the age of three, her childhood with Grandmother had been peaceful and calm, interrupted only occasionally by visits from her father or his parents, before they too had died a few years earlier. Now, everything would be different.

She would be living in England, at Longbottom Manor, with relatives she had never met and knew little about, and in the fall she would be going to Hogwarts.

Hogwarts.

Sweet Merlin.

Anna shuddered, blinked several times and took a few deep breaths to compose herself. I must remain calm, she thought. Automatically, Anna began going through the silent Occlumency lessons her grandmother had trained her in over the past few months. She cleared her mind, built her walls, compartmentalized all thoughts, feelings, and memories. The familiar routine was comforting. Her grandmother had taught her well, and she was determined to follow every lesson; adhere to every instruction. She would protect herself. She would not let her grandmother down.

*********************************************************************************

Remus slowly unpacked his worn trunk and began to put his clothes and books away in the guest bedroom that would be his home for the next several months. It was a comfortable room with a large bed against one wall and a small side table on either side. A heavy wooden wardrobe, dresser and bookcase — as well as a small desk and chair by the window that overlooked the front garden — filled the empty space.

Longbottom Manor was exactly as he remembered it, though he had only been here once before many years ago. It was just grand enough to be the home of a venerable pureblood wizarding family, while still managing to be a comfortable home. The manor sat in the middle of nearly a hundred acres and was surrounded by a variety of large old trees and a high stone wall. It was the home of a family that treasured privacy and security.

Augusta Longbottom had welcomed him graciously upon his arrival and had shown him to his room. She was a proud old woman, who had survived the loss of many family members over the years. Her son and daughter-in-law had been tortured by Death Eaters during the first war and were now at St. Mungo’s in the long term care ward. As they were no longer of sound mind, they required ’round-the-clock care. Her household now consisted of herself, her grandson Neville, and two house-elves, Bitty and Litty.

Andrew and Anna Henry were due to arrive in a few hours, and Remus was eager to meet his new pupil. She had been raised across the pond — in Virginia — by her maternal grandmother. The girl had been taught at home for the last few years. He knew she would be in mourning for her grandmother, so it might be weeks before she’d be able to commence her magical education undistracted. In the meantime, he hoped to learn about her educational strengths, as well as identify any weaknesses he could address over the coming months. As per their contract, her father wanted her to be ready for Hogwarts in the fall. He was determined to make certain that her first year there would be a success.

Remus was putting the last of his old textbooks on a shelf, when he heard the sound of voices downstairs. He smiled slightly to himself as he made his way down the stairs.

“Thank you, Augusta. I’d love to stay for lunch. Unfortunately, I’ll have to head back to London this afternoon, so I can check in at the office. Tomorrow, I’m off to Rome for several weeks, but I’ll be in touch and leave you my contact information,” Andrew was saying. He glanced up, spotting Remus coming down the stairs.

“Oh, Remus. I’d like to introduce you to my daughter, Anna.” Andrew indicated Anna, who gave him a tired smile. “Anna, Mr. Lupin is the tutor I was telling you about. He will be teaching you everything you need to know before starting at Hogwarts in September.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lupin,” Anna said softly as she offered her hand.

Remus shook her hand as he asked her about her trip from Virginia. She was pale and looked as though she had not slept well in many days; however, she was polite and answered his questions about her travels. They had lunch in the dining room and spoke of mundane topics. Remus noticed that Anna spoke only when asked a direct question. Otherwise she was quiet and moved the food around on her plate, rarely eating anything. After lunch, her father bid them all good bye and, with a kiss on Anna’s cheek, was gone.

*********************************************************************************

“Well Remus, what do you think thus far?” Augusta asked one evening as she sipped her sherry. Anna had been sent to bed with the house-elf Litty to assist her. She had been living with them for almost three weeks, and Augusta was curious to hear her tutor’s opinion of her.

“I must say Anna is quite proficient in her spell work. I believe she has mastered ‘The Standard Book of Spells’ grades 1 and 2. She’s also quite accomplished with Transfiguration and Herbology, and her potions work is nothing short of extraordinary,” Remus replied while swirling his sherry around in his glass.

“But you have concerns,” Augusta pressed. “I can see them inscribed on your face.”

“Uh, yes,” Remus pursed his lips. “Anna has no knowledge of magical history. None whatsoever.” He sighed as he adjusted his position in the wingback chair. “Fortunately, we can read and discuss ‘A History of Magic’ and have her caught up in a matter of months.”

“What else troubles you?”

“Well, she definitely needs tuition in Astronomy. Other than being able to identify the sun and the moon, she admitted that she has no understanding at all of any stars or their movements.” He paused to let the words sink in. “Also, her knowledge of magical creatures is very limited, and she has never been on a broom.”

“And how do you plan to remedy these…these…discrepancies?” Augusta pried.

“Well, to start with, it would be beneficial for her to be comfortable on a broom before classes begin at Hogwarts in the fall. I have already written to her father about the need for flying lessons and acquiring an appropriate broom for her. Most of the other knowledge she lacks can be learned through reading and discussing various books, as well as studying the night sky periodically.”

Augusta nodded and smiled gently. “It sounds as though you have your lessons planned for the next few months. Now, what other concerns do you have about Anna?” Mrs. Longbottom waited quietly, knowing that Remus would speak if she gave him enough time.

“She is so self-controlled,” Remus murmured. “So closed off. In some ways she is a sweet, kind girl; in other ways… I wonder and worry about what she is hiding. What deep, dark secrets she is keeping.”

Augusta leaned back in her chair and sipped her sherry. She too was worried about Anna and could not easily define that worry. Not for the first time she wondered what Katherine had done to the girl and why.

*************************************************************************************

Anna pulled the wand across the palm of her hand drawing blood as she murmured the incantations she knew by heart. Her grandmother had taught her well. Every move she made, every word she spoke had been practiced until memorized. She moved from tree to tree, smearing her blood on the trunk of each, as she moved around the circle reciting the spells her grandmother had taught her, anchoring her words in the four directions. They were so automatic that she barely thought about what she was doing as she moved and whispered. Anna felt the power of the charms taking effect even as the weakness of her own blood loss began to affect her. With a final wave of her wand, her spell work was complete, and she dropped to her knees.

“I need you,” she whimpered. “Grandma, please help me. I miss you so much.”

Her sobs quickly overcame her, and she collapsed on the ground. Anna let her grief out; let herself be vulnerable for just a brief moment of time.

“Please help me be strong like you. I don’t know how. I’m so afraid. Please, help me.”

Anna stared into nothingness thinking about her childhood, about what she had been taught, about what her life had been like before her grandmother’s illness and death. Part of her yearned to run and hide, to be alone in the woods forever where she would be safe. Yet, even as these thoughts crossed her mind, she reminded herself that it was important to be brave, to be strong.

“I miss you so much, Grandma.” Anna closed her eyes to the quiet woods.

*************************************************************************************

Neville stepped off of the Hogwarts Express and looked around for his grandmother. He spotted her almost immediately, although oddly enough she was not wearing her usual hat with the stuffed vulture on top. He walked up to her, dragging his trunk behind him.

“Oh, Neville, I’m glad you’re home for the summer!” She paused to size him up. “I hope you had a successful year in school. No doubt your grades will tell me well enough how you did,” Augusta stated calmly. “I’m sure you’re eager to meet your cousin and your tutor for the summer.”

Neville swallowed audibly, noticing a distinct difference in his grandmother and wondering about the cause. He tightened his grip on his toad, Trevor, and followed his grandmother through the crowded station platform. They left King’s Cross and were soon home at Longbottom Manor.

Upon arrival, she directed her grandson to his would-be instructor. “Neville, this is Professor Remus Lupin, and he will be your tutor for the summer,” Augusta introduced them and waited while they shook hands and greeted one another before continuing. “And, this is your cousin, Anna.”

Neville looked at the pretty girl in front of him. He knew from his grandmother’s letters that she was thirteen, but she looked older and more mature. Anna smiled slightly and held out her hand for him to shake. Without thinking, he dropped Trevor to the ground as he reached out with both hands to shake her hand.

“I’m pleased to meet you, Neville,” Anna said while looking cautiously at the toad. “Is your…your pet quite all right?” she asked.

“Oh, yes. I’m sure Trevor is fine. I’ll just put him up in my room. He’s always getting lost, a bit of a wanderer he is.” Neville scooped up the toad. He was surprised when Anna quietly walked up the stairs with him and entered his bedroom behind him.

“I’m in the connecting bedroom,” Anna said. “So we’ll be sharing a bathroom.”

“Oh, yes, of course. I’ll try to be neater here at home than I am at school,” Neville laughed nervously, and Anna smiled again.

“I hope we can be friends, Neville,” Anna said softy. “It will be wonderful to have lessons with you this summer. Mr. Lupin is very kind and a good teacher, but it has been quite lonely here all by myself.”

Neville nodded as he looked at Anna. “I’m an only child, too. I understand being lonely.” His grandmother’s letter had explained that she had been raised alone in a house with her grandmother for many years. He knew what that was like, being without other children in a large, old house, year after year. As he looked at Anna, he desperately hoped they really could be friends — that her earlier wish had not been mere formality.

Anna grinned at him and reached out her hand. “Let’s go to the greenhouse. I understand it’s one of your favorite places.”

“Yes, it is,” Neville replied as he took her hand, and they hurried towards the greenhouse. Neville became more confident and animated with every step as he talked about the plants at Hogwarts and his lessons with Professor Sprout.

Neither noticed that Augusta and Remus were sitting quietly in the garden room listening to their conversation; both were satisfied that the children were becoming friends.

*************************************************************************************

Anna slowly unwrapped the gift from her father. He had been unable to visit again due to some emergency situation at work, but he had sent a gift with a note attached.

“Dear Anna. Enclosed is a present to help you with your flying lessons. Love, Dad.”

It was immediately obvious the gift was a broom, and Anna was not pleased. She had no interest in learning how to fly and had been trying to put off lessons for as long as possible. Her grandmother had not even owned a broom and had certainly never flown anywhere. Anna was not at all certain why Professor Lupin seemed to think that flying was such a necessary skill. She had mentioned it to Neville once the previous week and had been pleased to learn that Neville had experienced very little success on a broom during his own flying lessons at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, neither of them were going to be able to escape lessons. Instruction was to begin the following day.

“What kind of a broom is it?” Remus asked from across the room where he was assessing their astronomy work from the previous day.

“It says Nimbus on the handle,” Anna replied. “And, there is also the number 2001.”

Remus stood up and walked over to her to get a better look at the broom. His face registered surprise as he looked carefully at the broom and picked it up with one hand. Neville walked into the room at that moment, stopped, and stared.

“Is that a Nimbus 2001?” he inquired.

“Yes!” Remus looked at the broom in a way that Anna did not completely understand.

“What is wrong with it?” she asked.

“Nothing at all,” Neville said. “You’re very lucky to have one. It’s a really good and really expensive broom.”

“Don’t be daft, Neville! It’s an excellent broom!” Remus continued to inspect the object. “One of the best. I wasn’t expecting your father to buy something so extravagant for your flying lessons, and I’m sure that you will be a brilliant flyer in no time.”

Anna was less convinced, but was certain she could not delay her lessons any longer.

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3 Diagon Alley

Author's Notes: With thanks to my husband for reading and editing. For anyone who may have questions about the timing of this chapter, it is the summer after the Chamber of Secrets year.


Chapter 3
Diagon Alley

Anna glared at the Nimbus 2001, the new broom her father had sent her. Beside her, her cousin Neville inspected his old broom with an expression of cautious optimism.

“Flying is easy and will feel quite natural once you have learned the basics,” Remus began calmly. “It’s also an important skill for every witch and wizard to learn. While you can, of course, use the Floo Network now, that limits you to places that are connected to the Floo. Portkeys are difficult to use for normal, frequent travel. They are also tracked by the Ministry,” he paused for a moment and seemed to regret having just mentioned that fact. “You will learn to Apparate when you are older, but even that has some limitations occasionally. Flying is a free and simple way to travel. Once you are competent on a broom, you can go almost anywhere. The only limitation is to avoid being spotted by Muggles.”

Remus clapped his hands together in anticipation.

“So, let’s all mount our brooms!”

Neville got somewhat awkwardly onto his, which had at one time been an excellent broom. It was now rather old, since it had been his mother’s broom before the first war.

Anna looked at Neville’s position and tried to mimic her cousin as she got on her own broom. She gripped the handle very firmly with both hands and leaned forward slightly, wishing she were on a horse or any other intelligent creature instead of the fancy piece of dreadful wood.

Remus corrected and complimented their postures and hand positions, then mounted his own broom. After giving them a few last minute tips, Remus commanded them to kick off gently.

Both children were slightly surprised when their brooms responded appropriately, and they managed to successfully lift off the ground. Remus calmly instructed them on how to move forward, how to turn their brooms, and how to control their speed when flying. He took them very slowly through the basics of maneuvering their brooms and had them follow a simple course around the estate, avoiding trees and never rising more than about ten feet off the ground. He was a patient teacher and quick to offer mild praise and encouragement. They managed to complete their first flying lesson together without any difficulty.

“Quite well done for the first lesson,” Remus praised them. “How do you both feel about flying now?”

Neville responded excitedly. “That was so much better than my first flying lesson at Hogwarts!”

“It was actually much better than I thought it would be,” Anna said to Remus, before turning curiously to Neville. “What happened to you at Hogwarts?”

Neville proceeded to tell them about completely losing control of his broom within the first few minutes of the lesson with Madam Hooch, and about falling from the broom and breaking his arm when he landed on the ground. She had escorted him to the school nurse Madam Pomfrey who had mended his broken arm in the hospital wing at the school. He was laughing by the end of the story. “But, the best part is that Harry Potter retrieved my Remembrall, which had dropped when I fell, and somehow ended up playing Seeker for Gryffindor because of how he caught it!”

“I didn’t realize you were so well acquainted with Harry,” said Remus quietly.

“Well, we are in the same dorm room in Gryffindor tower. He has always been really decent to me,” Neville replied, before turning to Anna and explaining the basics of Quidditch to her, and what the job of Seeker entailed.

They all walked slowly back to the house carrying their brooms and reveling in the fact that the dreaded lesson had been such a success.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning Bitty delivered a letter to Augusta just as Anna and Neville walked into the dining room. As usual, a variety of breakfast dishes were arranged on the sideboard in a buffet style so that each member of the family could serve themselves. Remus was already at the table and looked up to say, “Good morning,” before returning his attention to his breakfast and to his perusal of the Daily Prophet. Neville loaded his plate with a bit of everything. Anna put her usual eggs, fruit, and scone on her plate.

“Anna, this is a letter from Hogwarts requesting to know which of the elective classes you would like to take this school year,” Augusta paused and turned her attention from Anna to her tutor. “What do you think, Remus?”

Remus set the newspaper aside and glanced at Anna. “Well, it really just depends upon what she is most interested in. I assume the elective classes are still the same: Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Divination, Muggle Studies, and Care of Magical Creatures.”

“Yes, those are the courses listed, and the recommendation is that you select two or three classes, Anna. They also sent a permission slip so that you can visit the village of Hogsmeade on selected weekends throughout the school year,” Augusta explained.

“It’ll be great to visit Hogsmeade this year!” Neville excitedly turned to Anna. “The village is very close to Hogwarts, so we can walk there easily and go to the shops and pubs. There is a sweet shop called Honeydukes that I really want to see.”

Augusta looked at her grandson with a raised eyebrow and a slight frown on her face. “I would like to hear that Remus can assure me of some improvement in your spell work over the next several weeks before I even consider signing your permission slip, Neville. Hogsmeade trips are a luxury you may not have time for. Now, let’s return to the matter at hand.” She pressed her fingertips together. “Anna, what courses do you think you may be interested in taking?”

Anna thought for a moment and then looked at her cousin. “What courses did you sign up for?”

“Divination and Care of Magical Creatures.”

“Well,” Anna began slowly. “Care of Magical Creatures would probably be interesting. I have enjoyed reading the book you loaned me about unicorns, Remus, so I will definitely sign up for that. I'm not sure about Divination, and I don’t really think Muggle Studies is necessary.” She twirled a strand of long hair around her finger as she thought about her choices. “Ancient Runes might be really fascinating. I think I would enjoy learning about how to read and interpret magical symbols. Arithmancy is basically math, isn’t it? Learning about the magic behind numbers.” She looked at Remus questioningly.

“Yes,” Remus smiled. “Either of those classes would be a great choice for you.” He picked up his tea and took another sip.

“Aunt Augusta,” Anna said decisively. “I would like to take Care of Magical Creatures, Ancient Runes, and Arithmancy.”

Augusta nodded her agreement with Anna’s choices. “I will send off a note to Hogwarts letting them know.”

“As soon as you two have finished your breakfast, bring your wands out to the back garden,” instructed Remus. “We are going to spend a great deal of time reviewing first and second year spells today.”

*************************************************************************************

Neville growled in frustration as he attempted to cast the wand lighting spell for the fifth time. Remus leaned against a tree and frowned as he watched. Neville’s pronunciation of 'Lumos' was perfect and his wand movement was correct, yet each time he cast the spell, the smallest amount of light imaginable appeared, and then quickly vanished. It was as though there was not enough magical power behind the spell to sustain it. He had experienced similar difficulty with most of the other spells they had already practiced that day.

“Maybe I really am a squib,” Neville sighed.

“No, you’re not,” said Anna calmly. “My father is a squib, and I can assure you that you have a magical presence that he simply does not possess.”

“Well,” exclaimed Neville. “Why can’t I cast any of the spells we have practiced today properly? I know I understand them. I mean, at least I get some spells right in charms, but transfiguration is always a nightmare.”

Remus walked forward and held out his hand. “Let me see your wand, please.”

Neville handed his wand to Remus, who examined it closely.

“Have you had any accidents with your wand? Dropped it from a great height, or anything like that?” Remus inquired.

“No, of course not,” Neville replied earnestly. “It was my father’s wand. I’m always very careful with it.”

Remus cast several spells using the wand and then passed it over to Anna.

“Try casting a few different spells,” he said quietly to Anna.

She looked at him curiously, but did as he instructed. She cast the levitation charm on a stick, produced the light charm, and transfigured Trevor into a water goblet and then back into a toad.

“What did you notice as you were using Neville’s wand?”

Anna looked at the wand thoughtfully for a moment collecting her impressions. “Well, I was able to perform the spells, but using Neville’s wand is much more challenging than using my own. I had to force more power into the spells, and particularly with 'Vera Verto', I didn’t feel confident about getting Trevor back into his normal toad body…” she knelt down and peered at him closely, “although he does look okay.”

Remus smiled at her and turned to Neville. “Your father’s wand no doubt served him very well, but it may not be the best wand for you. I want you to use my wand to try a few spells, and with Anna’s permission, use her wand as well.”

Anna nodded immediately, giving her permission.

Remus continued, “Try to notice how each wand feels in your hand, and if either wand works better for you than your own.”

Remus watched carefully as Neville used his wand, trying each spell multiple times. It was soon obvious that his transfiguration spells were slightly better with Remus’s wand. He then used Anna’s wand and broke into a smile after clearly stating 'Lumos', when an immediate and sustained light emerged from the wand tip.

Anna hugged him and kissed his cheek. “That was brilliant, Neville!”

The youngster flushed partially out of embarrassment, but also with pleasure at his success with the spells.

“Well,” Remus said with a smile. “You two deserve a break, and I need to go have a conversation with Augusta about your wand.”

An hour later, Augusta and Remus walked into the garden room to find Anna and Neville playing a game of wizard chess. They had played several times over the past few weeks, and Neville had won every game so far. Anna did not seem to mind losing though, and Neville was patiently trying to explain the rules to her, and how to strategize as she planned her moves in every game.

“Dinner is in twenty minutes,” Augusta reminded them. “You will need to change and be in the dining room by then.”

Both children stood up knowing that Augusta would not be pleased if they were late for dinner, and neither would the house-elves, Bitty and Litty. Breakfast and lunch were rather casual at the manor, but for dinner the children were expected to be appropriately dressed and consistently on time.

“Oh, and Neville, tomorrow morning we will be going to Diagon Alley after breakfast,” said Augusta. “I understand that a new wand is needed.”

Neville grinned. “Thanks, Gran!”

Anna smiled and bit her bottom lip briefly before asking, “May I come as well?”

Augusta looked at Remus, who shrugged and nodded slightly. Anna had not left the manor since arriving months ago. An outing would be good for her.

“Of course,” Augusta agreed. “In fact, why don’t we plan to make a day of it? I know your father has sent you some spending money and a little shopping trip might be a nice change for you.”

“Thank you, Aunt Augusta,” Anna said. Neville grabbed her hand, and they raced upstairs to change for dinner.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning the four of them took the Floo to the Leaky Cauldron and entered Diagon Alley. Anna was fascinated by the street of magical shops. She looked forward to browsing through several of them after their visit to Ollivanders for Neville’s new wand. While Augusta had initially been surprised and disappointed when Remus told her that Neville’s difficulty with spells was likely due to his use of his father’s wand, she decided she was more than willing to buy him a new wand if that meant a likely improvement in his grades.

Mr. Ollivander’s shop was small and quiet, yet filled with thousands of narrow boxes in neat rows. Neville and Augusta walked up to him to begin the process of getting a wand, while Anna and Remus stood quietly just inside the door. Although Mr. Ollivander seemed like a friendly older man, his piercing silvery eyes were a bit unsettling. Neville looked nervous as he tried one wand after another with no noticeable results, before holding a wand that suddenly sparked brilliantly. Neville grinned as Mr. Ollivander returned the wand to its box and wrapped it. The wand was made of cherry wood and had a unicorn hair in the core. Augusta practically glowed with pleasure as she handed over the seven gold Galleons to pay for the wand.

After they left the wand maker, Anna requested they visit the Apothecary. Her father had indeed given her a generous amount of spending money, and this was the first opportunity she had to purchase anything. Anna asked for a number of powdered ingredients including porcupine quills, unicorn horn, Griffin claw, and horn of a bicorn which made Remus raise a curious brow. The shopkeeper even made eye contact at one point with Augusta when Anna asked for shredded skin of a boomslang and a large quantity of dittany. Augusta just nodded and smiled at the shopkeeper, and soon, Anna was handing over Galleons to pay for her many potion ingredients.

As they exited the Apothecary, Anna asked, “May I purchase an owl?”

“I suppose you can,” Augusta replied. “You know that you are always welcome to use our owl, Eva, at home though.”

“Well, yes, and I appreciate that, but I was thinking it would be wonderful to have an owl at Hogwarts,” explained Anna.

“Then, I believe our next stop should be Eyelops Owl Emporium,” Augusta agreed.

“Come on, Neville, help me pick one! Do you like the barn owls or the snowy owls?”

Anna and Neville looked at a dozen different owls before Anna finally selected a large brown tawny owl. She got a cage for it, as well as a container of owl treats.

Their last stop was at the bookstore, Flourish and Blotts. Neville immediately wandered into the section of books about Herbology and Anna followed him. Augusta asked the manager about the textbooks for the coming school year and was pleased to learn that he had a list so they would be able to purchase them all today, and any books that were not currently in stock could be sent by owl to the manor when they arrived. As Augusta called Neville over to carry the books, Remus was amused to notice that Anna managed to quickly purchase two Herbology books that Neville had been looking at intently a short time ago.

*************************************************************************************

Neville awoke abruptly and sat up gripping his sheets. He had no idea what had startled him. There was no summer storm or any odd sounds at all. Getting out of bed, he walked slowly through his dark bedroom. As he stepped into the bathroom, he heard screaming.

“Anna,” he murmured as he rushed through the bathroom to the connecting door of Anna’s bedroom.

She was crying now and whimpering. “No, please, stop…. Please don’t!” She began to scream again.

Neville reached her bed and grabbed her upper arms. “Anna,” he said frantically. “Anna, wake up, you’re okay, you’re safe, Anna!”

She wailed so loudly that Neville cringed and almost let go of her, but then she was still and blinking as tears streamed down her face.

“Neville,” she murmured, looking around for a handkerchief. “I’m sorry. I don’t …. what happened?”

“You had a nightmare. You were screaming and talking in your sleep,” Neville said looking at her carefully, as he reached for a handkerchief to give to her. “Why were you so scared?”

Anna took a deep breath as she took the handkerchief and wiped her face. She closed her eyes for a moment as she took another breath, and when she opened them, she seemed perfectly calm. It was as though nothing had happened.

“I am sorry that I disturbed you, Neville. I’m fine now,” Anna murmured softly. “Thank you for your help.”

Neville felt an unfamiliar urge to shake her.

“You’re not fine! Don’t lie to me. If you cannot tell me the truth, then okay, but don’t lie and tell me that you’re fine!” Neville spat angrily.

Anna blinked rapidly and then focused on Neville.

“You’re right. I’m sorry. I am not fine,” she whispered, her voice cracking as she desperately tried to control herself. “Please understand, there are things that I cannot say, that my grandmother told me never to say.”

Neville looked at her and sighed, “It’s okay if you have secrets that you cannot tell me yet, but please don’t lie to me.” He paused to let the words sink in. “How often do you have these nightmares?”

With difficulty, Anna murmured, “Uh…about once, maybe twice, a week.”

“Then why have I not heard you before?” Neville asked in confusion as he looked about the room. “You’ve been casting spells to keep everyone from hearing you at night, haven’t you?”

Anna nodded slowly.

“Look, whatever spells you are doing, you are going to have to extend them to cover my room as well. It is not okay for you to be in your room alone, screaming from nightmares with no one to hear and no one to help. You have to allow me to hear and help you when you need help,” Neville demanded.

“Okay,” Anna agreed.

Neville was slightly startled by her immediate compliance, but was glad she had given in so easily. He would not feel as obligated to confide in Gran or Remus if she was willing to be cooperative.

“So, you’ll cast whatever silencing spells you are using to include my bedroom as well?” he inquired.

“Yes,” Anna said.

“Good, budge over.”

“What?”

“You should not be alone when you just had a nightmare, much less one bad enough to make you wake up screaming. Scoot over. I’m going to stay here until you fall asleep.”

Anna complied, and Neville sat down beside her, leaning his head on the headboard, holding her hand.

“Thank you Neville,” she said softly.

“It’s okay. Try to sleep,” he replied.

She shifted to her side, still holding his hand, and her even breathing soon told Neville that she was indeed asleep.

He wondered what had caused her nightmare and what, if anything, he could do to help her. Neville had not really said anything to anyone, but he was very glad that his cousin was now living at Longbottom Manor. He was even glad that he now had a tutor. His childhood had been lonely in the big, empty house. Now, he had a cousin who was also his friend, and he had a tutor who seemed more like a favorite uncle than a teacher. Neville wondered what he should do or say tomorrow, but as he sat thinking, he fell asleep as well.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4 Sirius Black

Author's Notes: With thanks to my husband for his encouragement and editing skills.


Chapter 4
Sirius Black

Ginny peered out into the deep blue of the night sky, amazed at how different the stars looked over the quiet Egyptian desert. She could see a pyramid in the distance rising out of the sand towards the heavens, and hear the soft sounds of camels settling in for the night. She sank down into the warm sand pulling her knees against her chest and wrapping her arms around her legs. The peace and stillness of the desert drowned out some of her worst thoughts and fears. Ginny was not surprised when she sensed someone approaching. She had rarely been alone at all this summer. Her parents or one of her brothers always seemed to be close by. Glancing up, she was pleased to realize it was her oldest brother, Bill.

“So, what do you think of Egypt?” Bill began, as he lowered his long, lean body to sit beside her.

“I understand why you like it here,” Ginny said softly. “It really is beautiful and so very peaceful. Tell me more about your work, about what you do.”

Bill explained more about his job as a curse breaker than he ever had previously to Ginny. He told her a few amusing stories about incidents that had occurred while discovering and clearing out tombs. Bill was pleased that he could still make her giggle the way he used to. According to his dad, Ginny had not genuinely laughed much since coming home from her disastrous first year at Hogwarts, and according to his mum, she had been plagued with nightmares she would not share with anyone.

“What happened to you last year?” Bill asked.

“Haven’t Mum and Dad told you?” Ginny sighed and was silent for a time, still looking out over the desert. “I trusted a diary and because of me, a lot of people were hurt.”

“Dumbledore told Mum and Dad even an adult would’ve found it almost impossible to resist the magic in that diary. It is not your fault, Ginny,” Bill tried to reassure her. “Besides, that’s not exactly what I meant. Why do you have so many nightmares? Mum told me you wake up screaming or crying sometimes, and I heard you last night. It sounded as though you were saying ‘no’ and I thought I heard you say the name ‘Tom’ as well.”

Bill waited quietly, hoping she would open up to him and explain what was troubling her.

“Tom is Voldemort’s real name. It was his diary, Voldemort’s diary, that I wrote in. Tom told me things,” Ginny shuddered, her voice shaking as she continued. “He showed me things, horrible things.”

Suddenly, Ginny was sobbing, and Bill pulled her firmly into his arms. He murmured to her, hoping to soothe her. Bill wished one of his brothers had managed to protect her from the events of the past school year.

“What can I do to help you, Ginny?” Bill asked, desperately hoping he could do something useful.

Ginny took a steadying breath and looked up at her big brother. “Please teach me a good Silencing Charm. I don’t want to upset my roommates in the dorm next year.”

Bill’s jaw twitched in frustration. That wasn’t what he meant when he asked how he could help, but he spent the next few weeks teaching Ginny spells he thought might be useful for her to know in the coming school year, including a Silencing Charm.

*************************************************************************************

Neville smiled as he got into bed on the night of his 13th birthday. It had been wonderful, the best ever.

In the morning, he and Anna had enjoyed another successful flying lesson. They were both comfortable enough on a broom now to soar after Remus, as he led them through a series of turns going around and between trees, as they meandered high above the grounds of the estate, and then flew low enough to almost touch the grass with their feet. The flying lesson was followed by a pleasant hour working in the greenhouse, where they repotted and fertilized a dozen plants that were growing beautifully under Neville’s watchful care. After that, they had cooled off by wading in the stream, and Remus had shocked both children by starting a splash-fight that left them all laughing and completely drenched.

Later that afternoon, Gran had pointed out a picture from the Daily Prophet of the Weasley family on vacation in Egypt. The article attached explained how Arthur Weasley had won the Grand Prize Galleon Draw, which was financing their summer holiday. Neville had told Anna about each member of the family and about some of the pranks the Weasley twins had pulled over the past two years. This led to a discussion of other friends from Gryffindor and a few stories about them. Anna had listened attentively and been particularly interested in learning about the girls, and how the dorms were arranged in Gryffindor Tower.

When it was time for him to open his presents, his grandmother had surprised him with the signed permission slip allowing him to go on weekend visits to Hogsmeade this school year. And, when he opened the last gift to find that Anna had given him two of the Herbology books he had seen at Flourish and Blotts in Diagon Alley the week before, he had been thrilled.

For his birthday dinner, Bitty and Litty had prepared his favorite meal, shepherd’s pie. They had made him a large chocolate cake for after. Gran, Remus, and Anna had joined Bitty and Litty in singing Happy Birthday to him before he blew out the candles on his cake.

When they finally left the dining room, Anna had suggested music so they could dance. Gran had put on the wireless in the garden room. Remus had danced quite elegantly with his grandmother. Neville and Anna had tried to dance as well, but had looked far more awkward. By the end of the evening, Neville had laughed and mentioned that they should probably have dance lessons. It had been fantastic! Neville was used to spending quiet birthdays at home, but he found that this year, the addition of Anna and Remus to the family birthday party made it far more enjoyable.

*************************************************************************************

Andrew drove carefully up the winding path that led up to Longbottom Manor. His work schedule had been intense over the last few months, and he regretted that this was his first visit to see his daughter since he had dropped her off. Fortunately, all of England seemed to slow down somewhat in late summer due to the holidays many businessmen seemed to schedule for this time.

As he neared the house, he slowed his vehicle and caught sight of his daughter. She was smiling and waving, looking far more animated than usual. Standing beside her was a boy of approximately the same age, who he thought must be Neville. He looked like a friendly kid, and Andrew was glad that Anna was finally around other children.

“Hi, Dad,” Anna greeted him as he climbed out of the car.

“Anna,” Andrew said as he pulled her into a hug. “You are looking so grown up. When did you start becoming a young lady instead of my little girl?”

She laughed. “Well, I will be 14 in a few months!”

Her father groaned in response. “Don’t remind me! I prefer to think of you as always being about 10.”

“Dad,” Anna said, as she led him over. “This is my cousin, Neville.”

Andrew shook hands. “Good to meet you, Neville.” He glanced towards the front door of the house to see Augusta and Remus coming down the steps.

They greeted one another, and Augusta ushered them all into the house. Once they were all settled in the lounge with drinks, Andrew asked Anna about her lessons, and asked Remus about her readiness for the coming school year. It was quickly obvious that Remus and Augusta were pleased with Anna’s progress and felt that she was quite ready for Hogwarts.

“Your letter was not completely clear,” Augusta said. “Would you like to stay with us at the manor for a few days?”

Andrew set down his drink. “No, but thank you for the invitation. I actually thought I would take Anna to Brighton for a few days, if her studies were going well enough. I know she loves the beach, and I understand there are other attractions there as well.”

“Yes,” Remus said. “Her studies are going very well, and I am sure that she would enjoy a holiday in Brighton.”

“Of course,” agreed Augusta. “The weather is certainly warm enough to be ideal for a trip to the beach.”

“Good.” Andrew nodded. “I’m really glad that she has you for a great aunt, Augusta. She is clearly very happy here. And Remus, I am truly grateful that you have been teaching Anna so much these last months. I really want her to have a successful magical education. It is what her mother expected, and I am certain that Katherine would be pleased to know how well she is doing. I only booked the two nights at the hotel in Brighton, so we’ll be back soon.” He turned to his daughter. “Now, go pack a bag, young lady.”

Anna and Neville both stood up and made their way quickly out of the room. As an afterthought, her father shouted. “Make sure you have a swimsuit, Anna!”

He turned his attention back to Mrs. Longbottom and Remus. “I take it they have become friends,” Andrew inquired. “I always thought she should spend some time with kids her own age.”

Augusta smiled and asked Andrew about his business, while Remus slipped quietly from the room and made his way upstairs.

Anna was packing a small suitcase while Neville watched anxiously.

“You will take your wand with you,” he said.

“Yes, of course, I will,” Anna replied. “You’re the one who occasionally forgets his wand on his nightstand. I always have mine with me.”

“Just remember not to use it unless there is a true emergency,” Remus reminded her as he stepped into the room. “Between the number of muggles in Brighton and the fact that you are underage to practice magic, it would not be a good idea to perform a single spell while you’re away.”

“I’ll remember that,” Anna said.

“Good. Now go have a nice beach holiday with your father!” Remus clapped his hands together.

A few minutes later, Andrew was maneuvering the car back down to the main road. Father and daughter were on their way to Brighton.

*************************************************************************************

Neville walked downstairs alone, slightly amused that Anna was apparently still asleep. She had returned home rather late the previous evening with a suntan and a large bag full of new clothes from a shopping trip with her father. Neville was glad that she had enjoyed a nice visit with her dad. He seemed like a decent guy, even though he wasn’t able to see her very often.

Neville decided to go out to the greenhouse to check on a few things before breakfast. The weather had been particularly warm, but his plants were doing well, though some were needing to be watered daily. Satisfied that nothing needed to be done immediately, he went into the dining room and began loading a plate. He was about to say good morning, when he noticed the tension in his tutor’s face. Lowering his plate to the table, he glanced at his grandmother. She had also noticed that something was wrong, “What is it Remus?”

His eyes shifted rapidly up and down as he stood, walking over to her with the newspaper clenched in his hand.

“Augusta,” he murmured handing over the Daily Prophet. “Have a look at this. Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban prison.”

“What?” she exclaimed as she grabbed the paper and started reading.

Neville sat quietly eating his breakfast, waiting for more information.

Anna came in and said, “Good morning,” as she began to fix her plate. Her eyes focused on Neville as she sat down. He shook his head quietly. It was perfectly obvious that something was horribly wrong.

“Well, at least we don’t need to return to Diagon Alley anytime soon,” Augusta finally said. “I’ll have a seamstress come here to measure Neville and Anna for their school robes.”

“Yes, that would probably be wise,” replied Remus as he returned heavily to his seat.

“Who is Sirius Black?” Neville asked.

Augusta and Remus stared at one another.

“Sirius Black is a dangerous man,” Augusta explained. “He supported You-Know-Who in the last war, and he killed a lot of innocent people before he was captured. I can’t imagine how he managed to escape from Azkaban. No one has ever escaped from that prison.” She sighed and placed her napkin on the table in front of her. “You children will not be leaving the Manor until he’s captured. We’re all perfectly safe here, but I cannot allow you to leave the property with that man on the loose.”

Neville glanced at Anna whose eyes were large and frightened.

“Are you still leaving this afternoon, Remus?” Neville inquired.

Remus nodded, “Yes, I must leave, but I will be back the day after tomorrow. Augusta is quite correct. You are perfectly safe here at the house. I would request that you stay close to the house while I am away.” He looked from one child to the other and was pleased to see them both nod in agreement.

“What if we have to start school before he is captured?” Anna asked.

“I’m sure he will be captured quite soon,” Augusta replied. “However, if he has not been caught before the school year begins, you mustn’t worry, you will be safe at Hogwarts, especially since…” She looked at Remus with a small smirk.

“Especially since I will be at Hogwarts with you this school year,” Remus continued with a smile. “I have been hired as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.”

“Congratulations! I am so glad you will be at school with us,” Anna beamed.

“We’ll have to remember to start calling you Professor Lupin soon,” Neville grinned.

“Well, we still have another month before you have to worry about that. In the meantime, I want you to both get your wands and meet me in the back garden. We will be practicing spells all morning, and I will set you each a chapter to read and an essay to write while I am gone.”

The children left the table, and Augusta walked over to Remus. “How concerned are you really?” she asked.

Remus rubbed his chin tiredly. “Very. Sirius is a talented wizard and was raised around the dark arts. He won’t be caught unless he wants to be caught, and he must have escaped for a reason. I hate to even contemplate what the reason could be.”

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5 The Hogwarts Express

Author's Notes: The chapter title pretty much says it. They are off to school, and we all get to see some of our favorite characters. Thanks again to my husband for reading and editing.


Chapter 5
The Hogwarts Express

The last weeks of summer passed far too quickly for the residents of Longbottom Manor. They had all fallen into an easy rhythm of informal lessons and pleasant activities over the summer, and that was about to change. The lazy days of flying, swimming, working in the greenhouse, and brewing potions was over. It was time for formal, structured lessons to begin. It was time for a new school year at Hogwarts.

Augusta supervised the children as they packed their trunks with clothes, books, potion supplies, and other items they would need for the coming school year. She tried not to think about how quiet the house would become without Neville, Anna, or Remus. They had all become quite close in the past few months, and she knew the start of a new school year would be a big adjustment for everyone. Augusta was relieved that Remus would be teaching at Hogwarts this year. He had accepted the Defense Against the Dark Arts post. At least he could keep an eye on the children, and let her know how they were doing. With Sirius Black still on the loose, she was especially grateful for his presence in the children’s lives.

They arrived on platform nine and three-quarters at King’s Cross in good time. Augusta always expected everyone in her household to be on time, and on stressful days like this, her attention to promptness was duly rewarded.

Remus and Neville loaded all of their belongings onto the Hogwarts Express, while Augusta spoke with Anna. “Now remember to owl frequently with letters for your father as well. I can forward your correspondence to him, and I’m sure he’ll be pleased to hear how you’re doing in school. If you or Neville forgot anything, just let me know, and I’ll send it on. Bitty and Litty packed you all a picnic lunch. I believe Remus was carrying the basket.”

Anna smiled. “Thank you, Aunt Augusta. I’m sure we have everything we need for school, but if we’re missing something, I’ll let you know.” She paused and took her aunt’s hand. “And I’ll write soon, I promise.”

“I know you will, dear.” Augusta pulled Anna into a heartfelt hug. She was quite pleased when Anna hugged her firmly back and kissed her cheek.

“Everything’s onboard, Gran,” Neville announced. “We’re at the very end of the train.”

His grandmother nodded, “Very well, dear. You will take care of each other and work hard on your lessons.” She eyed him carefully, waiting for him to nod in agreement before hugging him.

Remus stood quietly until Augusta focused her attention upon him. He spoke before she could. “I want to thank you again for my new robes. It was a kind and thoughtful gift.”

“You’re quite welcome, Remus,” she replied. “It simply made sense to have the seamstress make robes for you as well as the children.” She held her arm out. “I hope you all have a good term.”

Remus nodded as he clasped her hand warmly. “I’ll be in touch.” He turned his attention to his charges. “Anna, Neville, time to get on the train, I believe.”

Around them parents were hugging children and giving them last minute instructions as they were boarding the train.

“Bye, Gran.”

“Goodbye, Aunt Augusta,” Anna called as Neville yanked her onto the train. “See you at Christmas.”

Neville led the way down the corridor to their compartment, and Anna immediately checked on her tawny owl, Mista, before asking her cousin where his toad, Trevor, was. Both were comfortable in their cages and stowed securely. Remus relaxed by the window. He leaned back in the seat and commented that they had a long train ride ahead of them. He looked rather relieved at the thought and closed his eyes with a sigh.

The train whistle blew, and Neville looked out the window to see guards walking along the train, closing the doors as they went.

“Do you want me to show you where the loo is?” Neville asked softly, noticing that Remus had already fallen asleep.

Anna nodded and slipped quietly out of the compartment, following him down the corridor. The train was just beginning to move, and she reached out a hand to Neville’s shoulder to steady herself.

“Hey, Nev,” a boy’s voice called from just ahead. “How was your summer?”

Neville looked up and smiled. “Oh, hi, Seamus,” he said. “It was good, thanks. How was yours?”

“Great!” he replied enthusiastically, peering around Neville. “Who’s this then?”

Neville introduced Anna to Seamus, who grinned and quickly led them to his compartment so she could meet Dean, Lavender, and Parvati.

“So, you’ll be Sorted into a house with the first years when we arrive?” asked Dean.

“Yes, I believe so,” Anna agreed hesitantly.

“Well, you might be in our dorm,” Lavender said, indicating herself and Parvati. “We’re third year Gryffindors. Hermione Granger is in our dorm too, but I don’t know where she is right now.”

“Anna might not be Sorted into Gryffindor,” Neville pointed out. Anna stared at him in surprise. She had not really considered the possibility that she may not be in the same house with her cousin.

“Of course she will. All of the prettiest girls are Sorted into Gryffindor,” Seamus protested as he winked at Anna. “Where else would she be?”

“There are three other houses,” Parvati pointed out, shaking her head at Seamus. She turned to Anna with a smile. “My twin sister, Padma, is in Ravenclaw. If you end up Sorted there, I’ll introduce you to her.”

“Well, Anna is really smart. So she might go to Ravenclaw,” Neville admitted.

The conversation moved to what everyone had done over the summer. Anna was only partially listening as she wondered what, if anything, she could do to be placed in Gryffindor. As nervous and overwhelmed as she felt about attending Hogwarts, just hoping the infamous Sorting Hat would decide she was brave enough for Gryffindor did not seem wise. She was so lost in thought that she did not notice Neville had stood up until he said, “Anna, we should probably go back to our compartment.”

Anna nodded and stood up. “It was very nice to meet you all.”

“See you later, Anna,” Seamus replied with a grin.

Neville grimaced slightly as he led Anna back to their compartment. He should’ve realized Seamus would flirt with his cousin. Fortunately, she hadn’t seemed to notice. As he opened the door to their compartment, he was surprised to see that Harry, Ron, and Hermione were there.

Neville introduced them all to Anna as she sat down next to Remus who was still sleeping soundly. “Well, you’ve now met all of the Gryffindor third years,” her cousin said with a smile.

“Are you excited about starting school?” Hermione inquired as she lifted a large, orange cat onto her lap.

“Well… I’m sure it will be interesting.” She reflected for a moment. “I’m definitely looking forward to Ancient Runes and Arithmancy since I’ve never studied them before,” Anna said. She reached over and carefully slid a folded robe between Remus’s head and the window.

“Do you know him?” Ron asked.

“Yeah, Remus, er - Professor Lupin was our tutor this past summer,” Neville explained. “He’s a really good teacher.”

Hermione and Anna were talking enthusiastically about their new subjects until the witch with the food cart arrived.

Harry went to buy some Cauldron Cakes, and Neville bought a few Chocolate Frogs. Anna opened the picnic basket, and soon they were all eating and talking. Ron had some great stories about his time in Egypt, and Hermione was talking about her holiday in France.

The weather had become progressively worse as they traveled farther north, with clouds rolling in and heavy rain falling from the dark sky. Now as Neville glanced out the window, it looked like night outside instead of early evening.

“The train is slowing down,” he observed. “We must be approaching Hogsmeade.”

“It isn’t time yet,” Hermione protested.

Harry opened the door and looked out into the corridor, as the train came to a sudden stop and the lights went out, plunging them into darkness. Voices, both nervous and excited, rang out down the corridor.

“What’s happening?”

“Have we broken down?”

Ron had moved to the window and was trying to see through the inky blackness. “Someone’s out there,” he said.

“Remus,” Anna murmured as she gave him a gentle shake.

The compartment door slid open, and a girl’s voice said, “Ron, are you in here?”

“Ginny,” said Ron, with a sense of relief. “Come here and sit down. Are you okay?”

“Yes, I…”

“Be quiet!” Remus demanded suddenly. A light appearing from his wand, illuminating the space around him. “Stay here. I’ll be back soon.”

He approached the compartment door, but before he reached it, the door opened and a tall, shadowy figure entered. An intense coldness swept into the small compartment just as a rattling breath echoed around them that seemed to steal the available air from the room. The sounds of several shallow gasps filled her senses as Anna felt her control slipping. Ginny whimpered as the cold helplessness washed over her. Harry tried to grab for his wand as a roaring sound, like that of a rapidly approaching train, filled his ears.

Screams pierced the air as Harry collapsed on the floor.

“Harry! Wake up. Are you okay?” asked Ron urgently.

“Anna! Shhh… look at me, Anna. Open your eyes,” Neville pleaded.

Harry focused on the nearest voice and looked around quickly. The Hogwarts Express was moving again, and the lights were on. Ron and Hermione were helping him get back onto his seat.

“What happened? I heard screaming!” Harry said loudly.

“Shhh…” Hermione pressed a finger to her lips. “Anna started screaming. It’s gone now.”

She glanced back at Anna who was being held by Neville. He seemed to be talking very softly and very quickly in an effort to calm her.

Ginny was pressed back into a corner trying to stifle a sob, looking very scared and very alone.

“I’m going to Ginny now, okay?” said Hermione.

Harry nodded, still trying to focus, as Hermione moved to sit with Ginny and put her arm around her.

“Here,” Remus said, handing him a large piece of chocolate. “Eat the chocolate. It will help.”

“What was it?” Harry asked, as he watched the professor pass out chocolate to each person in the compartment.

“It was a Dementor,” he replied. “They are the guards of Azkaban Prison, and they were looking for Sirius Black. He is not here, so they are gone now. I need to speak with the driver. I’ll be back in a moment.”

Everyone was quiet after the professor left. Taking a bite of the chocolate, Harry was surprised to feel a definite warmth spread through his body, obliterating the cold, dead, emptiness the Dementor’s presence had left behind. Looking around, he saw that everyone was silently eating their chocolate.

The compartment door opened, and Remus came back in. “Everything’s alright. We will be arriving in ten minutes,” he announced as he glanced around to see how everyone was doing.

The remainder of the train ride was in almost complete silence as everyone finished their chocolate, straightened their robes, and organized their belongings.

*************************************************************************************

Neville led Anna off the train and took her directly to Hagrid, literally putting her hand in his, before getting on a carriage to ride up to the castle. Anna seemed to be intrigued by Hagrid, who was built more like a mountain than a man. Neville couldn’t imagine a worse introduction to Hogwarts than the end of that train ride had been for Anna. While she had never actually said it, he was convinced that Anna did not really want to come to Hogwarts. He felt certain that given the opportunity, she would be perfectly happy to remain at the manor with Remus tutoring her for the next few years.

As he stepped into the Great Hall, Neville closed his eyes for a moment, hoping that at least the Sorting would put Anna in Gryffindor. How could he help her and watch over her as Gran expected if she was not even in his house?

He sat down next to Ginny, leaving a space on the other side for Anna, and waited for the first year students to come in. Fortunately, the large doors opened and the first years were led in just a moment later. Unfortunately, Anna was at the back of the line, and it quickly became apparent that all of the first years would be Sorted before she was.

One student after the other was called forward to sit on the stool. The Sorting Hat was placed on their heads, and the decision was shouted for everyone to hear, whether Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. Time seemed to move particularly slowly, but finally, Anna Henry was called to sit on the stool. The Sorting Hat was placed on her head.

“Please put me in Gryffindor, please put me in Gryffindor,” Anna silently repeated as the hat was lowered onto her head.

“Why Gryffindor?” the hat questioned. “You are so bright, so talented, surely Ravenclaw would be a better choice… but what are all of these secrets?” The silky voice of the hat murmured in her mind. “My we do have a lot of secrets, don’t we? Trying to hide them from me I see. What are you so desperate to hide?”

“Please put me in Gryffindor, please put me in Gryffindor,” Anna’s begging was becoming desperate.

“Slytherin would be the best choice for you,” the hat continued. “Surely, you see that. They will respect your secrets; help you achieve your true potential. Their cunning can assist you in ways you do not yet even understand.”

“Please put me in Gryffindor, please put me in Gryffindor,” Anna drew on her most rigid mental strength, determined to give nothing in particular away. Her Occlumency shield must hold. It must!

“Very well,” the hat sighed. “If you are this determined, it must be GRYFFINDOR!” The last word was shouted clearly for everyone in the Great Hall to hear.

Anna stood up quietly, handed over the hat, and walked in an almost dreamlike state to Neville, who hugged her, and then lowered her into the seat next to him. She was barely aware of the start of term announcements the Headmaster was making about the presence of the Dementors around the school and the precautions they should all take to stay away from the creatures.

When Professor Lupin was announced as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, she joined in the applause that was coming from her section of the Gryffindor table. The announcement of Rubeus Hagrid as the new Care of Magical Creatures teacher was met with more applause, and Anna joined in with gratitude that he had not let go of her hand immediately when Neville had handed her over to him.

Then, with an affable smile, Professor Dumbledore announced the start of the feast, and food appeared all along the table. Neville loaded a plate for himself, and then noticing that Anna had not moved, put some chicken and vegetables on her plate.

“Eat, Anna,” he said softly into her ear. “You have to keep up your strength, especially after the day we’ve had.”

She looked up at him, still seeming slightly dazed, and then murmured, “Thanks, Neville.”

Throughout the hall, the students were eating and enjoying talking to friends they had not seen over the summer. The third year Gryffindors were congratulating Anna and welcoming her to their house, while Percy Weasley, the Head Boy, was assuring her that he would be happy to escort her to the dorm after the meal. Anna smiled and said “thank you” to everyone, but silently she wondered if she actually belonged. Did she deserve to be in Gryffindor when she had to beg the hat to place her there?

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6 Hogwarts

Author's Notes: This story generally follows canon for Prisoner of Azkaban. Please assume all major canon pairings. Since it is not told from the perspective of Harry, many events will not be described because the other characters are unaware of what Harry is doing. Due to the ages of the characters, friendship will come before romance. Thanks to my husband for reading and editing this chapter.


Chapter 6
Hogwarts

The first week of classes had been a bit of an overwhelming blur for Ginny. She was behind in her studies because her first year at Hogwarts had been nothing short of disastrous. She had tried to make up for it though. Reviewing her textbooks over the summer had helped. Also, her mum and brothers had studied with her whenever they had a chance.

Ginny was determined to keep up this year in all of her classes. Most of her courses were going well enough so far, and she really enjoyed Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lockhart had never really taught them anything useful last year, so having Professor Lupin was a welcome change. Potions was unpleasant, mostly because Professor Snape did not like having yet another Weasley in his class. While her three oldest brothers had been good enough students, the chaos that was Fred and George, followed by Ron, had soured the man. Fortunately, she had spent enough time with her mum in the kitchen over the years that she could generally follow the directions to make a potion. The greatest challenge she knew would be staying focused in History of Magic. Listening to the ghost of Professor Binns drone on about goblin wars and the institution of magical laws was not remotely interesting.

Ginny was also disturbed by the rumor that Professor Trelawney, the Divination teacher, had predicted the death of Harry Potter after seeing an image of the Grim in his tea leaves. She had asked Anna about it, since she had been sitting next to her at lunch the day she heard, but Anna was not taking Divination and knew no specifics. When Ginny asked Hermione later, she had been very dismissive of the whole thing, saying that it was “a load of rubbish” and that Professor McGonagall had said Divination was a very imprecise type of magic.

Ginny had also heard about the terrible incident during Hagrid’s first Care of Magical Creatures lesson. Apparently, a hippogriff had attacked Draco Malfoy, landing him in the hospital wing. She was sure that Madam Pomfrey had fixed his injury, but was equally sure that the horrible Malfoy family would somehow seek revenge.

Every night before falling asleep, Ginny cast Bill’s Silencing Charm on her bed. It comforted her somewhat to know that if she did wake up screaming or crying, no one would know. The spell had only actually mattered one night so far, but that was enough to make it worthwhile to cast every night.

By Friday evening, Ginny felt ready to do something, anything other than homework. Most of the members of her house seemed to feel the same. However, they all seemed to be gossiping, playing games, or flirting. None of those activities interested Ginny.

She looked up to see Anna just coming into the common room. Dinner had ended well over an hour ago, so she supposed Anna must have been in the library. She seemed to like it there almost as much as Hermione did. Neville got up from his spot on the sofa to talk to Anna, then led her over to where Ron and Seamus were playing a game of chess. Ron was clearly winning, even if Seamus had not seen it yet, and Ginny was bored. She looked up and saw Anna was equally disinterested in the game.

“Would you like to go on up?” Anna asked her quietly.

Ginny looked at her for a moment, thinking that Anna probably had something in mind. “Sure,” she replied before saying more loudly, “Good night, everyone!”

Ginny followed Anna up to her empty dorm room. “What do you want to do?” she asked.

“How about dress up?” Anna asked. “We could pretend we are going to a fancy ball.”

Ginny giggled. “Okay… how do we start?”

Anna pulled out two dressing gowns. “Let’s put these on first. Then, we can do each others hair.”

Both girls undressed to their bras and knickers and put on the dressing gowns. Ginny was amazed by the smooth silkiness of the black dressing gown’s fabric on her skin. She sat down on a small chair, and Anna began brushing her hair and talking about different ways to style it. “You have lovely hair, Ginny. It almost looks like it’s on fire!”

“Thanks,” Ginny sighed. “It’s really just Weasley red though.”

Anna laughed. “No.” She shook her head. “Your hair’s definitely not just Weasley red. Trust me. It’s far more interesting and beautiful than your brothers’ hair.”

She made two small neat braids on either side of Ginny’s head. Then, Anna twisted the rest of her red hair into a loose bun atop her head, before wrapping the braids around it.

“Here,” said Anna, handing her a small hand mirror.

Ginny studied herself in the mirror for a moment and grinned. Her hair looked like it was about to fall down, but she could feel how securely it was twisted on her head. The braids gave it a casual look, while at the same time it seemed slightly sophisticated. Ginny turned her head, looking in the mirror at a different angle. The hairstyle made her look older and more beautiful.

“Thank you,” Ginny finally managed, after admiring herself for a while.

“You’re quite welcome,” Anna laughed, reaching for the mirror.

Ginny saw a long, red scar on the palm of Anna’s left hand. “What happened to you?”

Anna looked down and blushed slightly. “Oh nothing. I’m very clumsy. It will look better tomorrow.”

“Okay.” Ginny nodded. “Now, it’s your turn, but I don’t think I can do anything quite as lovely as what you did. I haven’t ever really practiced fixing anyone’s hair before.”

Anna smiled and sat quietly while Ginny worked on her hair. Ginny brushed Anna’s tresses for a while and thought about how she could put it up. Anna’s hair was very long and just slightly wavy. It was mostly light brown in color, but had so many streaks of blonde that it was difficult to define the exact color. When Ginny commented on this, Anna laughed softly.

“A muggle lady in a shop once asked my grandmother where she had taken me to have my hair highlighted. Grandma asked what ‘highlighted’ was. I remember the lady seemed slightly annoyed, but the shop girl said that my hair was just sun streaked from spending so much time outside during the summer,” she smiled sadly and brushed away a tear from her cheek.

“I’m sorry,” Ginny murmured. “You must miss your grandmother terribly.”

Anna nodded. “I do miss her, more than I can possibly express, but she’s still with me. I remember everything she taught me.”

Ginny nodded sadly and looked at Anna, who was staring down at the scar on her hand. “Your hair is done. Would you like to see it?” she asked.

“Of course.” Anna laughed as she reached for the hand mirror. “Ginny, it’s lovely. Thank you!”

Ginny grinned, assuming Anna was just being kind. She had put Anna’s hair into a loose knot on the back of her head. It looked pretty, but was not nearly as beautiful as she had wanted to make it.

“Now for dresses!” Anna exclaimed. She walked over to her wardrobe and pulled out several very pretty gowns. Ginny looked at them with wide eyes. They were all truly lovely and so well made. She knew what expensive dress robes looked like, and these definitely qualified.

Anna held up a deep blue gown to Ginny. “You should try this one first. I think it would really suit you.”

“Are you sure?” Ginny asked hesitantly.

“Definitely!” Anna responded as she clutched her chin in reverie. “Actually, I don’t know why I packed that dress. It can’t possibly still fit me. I wore that dress last Christmas.”

Ginny removed her dressing gown and pulled on the dress. It fit beautifully, almost as though it were made for her. She smiled at her reflection in the large mirror.

“Why wouldn’t this dress still fit you?” Ginny asked, turning and looking at herself from every direction.

Anna removed her dressing gown and picked up a red dress. “Because these have grown a lot in the past year.” Wryly, she looked down at her chest.

Ginny blushed. “A lot of girls would be thrilled to have those.”

“I suppose.” Anna’s tone was sour. She pulled on the red dress. It was far more modest than the blue gown, but it was still very pretty.

Hermione walked in at that moment, and stopped to stare at them. “What are you doing?” she asked.

Before either girl could answer, Lavender and Parvati came in. “Are you playing dress up?” Lavender asked.

“Yes!” Anna piped up. “I couldn’t handle homework tonight.”

Lavender and Parvati were soon having their hair done and dressing up as well. Parvati had some lovely Indian gowns which she wanted the other girls to try on. Ginny loved the rich colors and the feel of the exotic fabrics. They all changed freely, trying on multiple dresses and exclaiming over which gown looked best on each of them. Hermione was the most reserved, but allowed herself to be caught up in the fun of an evening of dress up.

Finally, the girls all removed their gowns and said “good night” to one another. It was quite possibly the best evening Ginny had ever had at Hogwarts. She went to bed hoping that it was a sign of fun times to come.

*************************************************************************************

Albus Dumbledore greeted each of the professors as they came in and sat down. He was not much for calling faculty meetings, but having one the month after the start of classes allowed him to hear how the first year students were doing. It was also an opportunity for anyone to express concerns or make requests. This year, the first order of business was a discussion of security and the presence of the Dementors around the school, as the search for Sirius Black continued. Everyone already knew that Black had been spotted once, but the Ministry did not really have any leads other than the belief that he might come to Hogwarts. Once Albus was sure everyone understood, even if they were not comfortable with, the security measures that were in place, he set Halloween as the date for the first Hogsmeade weekend for the older students.

“Will Mr. Potter be allowed to go to Hogsmeade?” Severus asked.

Albus nodded to Minerva, inviting her to respond as the Head of Gryffindor House. “No,” she replied. “His guardians did not sign the permission form.”

“Given the current situation, that is undoubtedly for the best,” murmured Severus. Some of the teachers nodded in agreement, while a few looked at him with mild annoyance. Remus kept his facial expression carefully neutral.

“So,” Albus said, getting everyone’s attention back on him. “Tell me your impressions of the first year students. How are they settling in?”

Most of the professors made positive comments about the children, while others expressed mild concerns. There were always a few children who had difficulty adjusting to Hogwarts. Some because they were muggle-born and magic was simply new to them. Some because they were homesick, or actually ill, in which case, Madam Pomfrey was called upon. Generally, the Heads of each house were able to manage the minor problems that came up.

“And, what of our new third year student, Miss Henry?” Albus inquired.

Remus was quiet, but eager to hear his colleagues’ opinion of the girl he had tutored for months.

Minerva spoke up first. “She seems to have settled into Gryffindor House without difficulty. I am sure having her cousin, Mr. Longbottom, there is making the adjustment easier for her. Academically, she is doing perfectly well in Transfiguration. Miss Henry is generally the third or fourth student in the class to perform a spell correctly.”

Filius nodded his agreement. “Miss Henry does not volunteer much; however, when I have called on her, she always has the correct answer. She learns the spells more quickly than most of the class, but is never the first student to accomplish a new spell.”

The other professors agreed with the general assessment of their new third year student. She was quiet in class, magically capable of keeping up with the workload, and seemed to be making friends. No one had any concerns. Severus cleared his throat. “Miss Henry is quite proficient in Potions.”

Albus thanked everyone for coming, and Remus stood up from his chair as the meeting ended. He was pleased she was doing well in her classes, and that he had some small part in it. As he walked slowly down the hallway towards his office, Minerva caught up with him.

“Severus actually complimenting a Gryffindor third year on her potions work,” she quipped. “I never thought I’d see the day!”

Remus chuckled. “Having seen Anna’s potions work first hand, I would be astonished if he did find fault with it. I imagine it also helps that Anna is generally quiet and does exactly what she is told.”

“Yes,” Minerva agreed. “She does seem to be a very obedient child. I have noticed some definite growth in Neville’s class work, as well.” She paused and looked at him curiously. “How have you seen Miss Henry’s potions work?”

Remus opened the door to his office and gestured for Minerva to enter first. He offered her a chair and then sat at his desk. “You know, of course, that I have worked as a tutor for a number of students over the years,” Remus began. “I have been tutoring Anna since she arrived at Augusta Longbottom’s house in April. Over the summer, Neville joined in on our lessons as well.”

“Why didn’t you say anything previously?” she inquired.

“It wasn’t exactly a secret,” Remus said. “Albus knows I was tutoring at Longbottom Manor. I suppose I didn’t really feel a need to announce it.” He shifted somewhat uncomfortably. “I'm glad she is doing well, and that you have noticed an improvement in Neville also.”

Minerva smirked at him. “No need to look guilty, Remus. You have obviously done a good job with them. Now tell me about how your classes are going.”

Remus smiled and summoned a house-elf to bring them tea while they talked.

Meanwhile, back in the faculty lounge, Albus waited for Severus to say whatever was on his mind. He hadn’t moved since the meeting ended. Everyone else had slowly made their way out of the room. The Headmaster knew him well enough to be aware that he was thinking about something.

Once they were alone, Severus turned to him. “You asked about Miss Henry.”

Albus waited a moment, but his potions master did not continue. “I believe you expressed that she is quite proficient in Potions. Do you have a concern?”

“Not a concern exactly,” Severus murmured. He paused again to consider his words carefully. “I cannot get any sort of a mental read on her.”

Albus stared at Severus. “Are you telling me that you tried to use Legilimency on Miss Henry?”

Anyone else would have looked guilty, or shifted nervously, under the quelling gaze of the Headmaster. Severus merely nodded. “It was nothing invasive, and I’m sure she was completely unaware of it. I merely tried to brush the surface of her mind. Every potion she has produced in my class has been perfect, and I was…curious about her. Yet the girl’s mind was completely closed. I couldn’t pick up on anything.”

Albus looked out the window, considering the possibilities of such an anomaly.

“Could she have been passively blocking you somehow?” Albus questioned, as he turned to the professor. “I have known of a few rare individuals who are simply natural Occlumens.”

Severus looked thoughtful for a moment before responding. “It is possible of course, and I may certainly be able to break into her mind with enough effort.” At Albus’s indrawn breath, he quickly continued. “Not that I would do that of course. As I said, I merely attempted to brush the surface of her mind. It is simply unusual to sense nothing at all, even with such a subtle attempt. I thought you should be made aware.”

Albus sighed heavily. He knew very few wizards who were truly gifted at Legilimency and Occlumency. Severus was one of those few. If he could not get a read on Miss Henry…

That meant something. But the nagging question remained…what?

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7 Holidays

Author's Notes: Thanks to everyone for reading and reviewing and to my husband for encouraging me to write.


Chapter 7
Holidays

Neville grinned when he saw the notice posted in the Gryffindor common room. “Anna, the first Hogsmeade weekend is on Halloween! What a great way to celebrate your birthday!”

She smiled broadly as they walked over to sit on one of the sofas. “It’ll be wonderful to leave the castle for a while.” For a moment, she furrowed her brow in uncertainty. “What is Hogsmeade like? Does it have lots of shops like Diagon Alley?"

Neville leaned back on the soft cushion and scratched his head. “Well, the whole village is magical, so yeah, I think it’ll be a lot like Diagon Alley. I’ve never actually been, of course, but I know there’s a large sweets shop called Honeydukes, and Zonko’s is a joke shop. We can have lunch in the Three Broomsticks if you want to,” he explained. “I don’t really know about the other shops, but we’ll have hours to explore, so I’m sure we’ll have a good time!”

“Of course we’ll have a good time! It sounds perfect,” Anna sighed. All around them, students were chatting excitedly about the trip, and what they hoped to see and purchase. Some of the older boys were approaching girls and asking them out on dates. The whole common room buzzed with energy and anticipation.

Ginny came over and sat beside them. She spent as much time with Anna and Neville as she did with the second years of Gryffindor tower. Unfortunately, since only third years and up could get permission to go, Ginny would not be able to visit the village this year.

“Looking forward to seeing Hogsmeade?” she asked them.

“Definitely!” exclaimed Neville.

“Would you like us to bring something back for you from the village?” Anna asked.

“Well, if it’s no bother, I’d love some chocolate,” Ginny replied. “Some dark chocolate.”

Anna laughed. “No problem. If there is one thing I will definitely buy, it’s a large quantity of dark chocolate.”

The girls smiled at each other, while Neville raised an eyebrow. He started to say something, and then changed his mind. He decided it would be a good idea if he bought a variety of chocolate as well.

*************************************************************************************

October passed quickly and soon the majority of the students from third year and above were leaving the castle to walk to Hogsmeade. It was a cool, windy day, but the sun was shining and everyone was in high spirits as they walked in pairs and small groups towards the village.

They met up with Ron and Hermione, as they were walking, and the four of them went into the sweets shop first. Anna picked up several bars of Honeydukes Dark Chocolate, a few Chocoballs, Chocolate Cauldrons, and Toothflossing Stringmints. Neville followed behind her and picked up a couple of each of the things she was purchasing, as well as Pepper Imps, Chocolate Frogs, and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. As they approached the register to purchase their sweets, Neville noticed that Ron and Hermione seemed to be buying a little of everything.

“Are you getting a few extra things for Harry?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Ron said. “Hopefully, he’ll be able to come himself soon.”

Neville nodded. “Do you want to meet at the Three Broomsticks later?”

They agreed to meet up at the pub at about one o’clock and headed out to explore more shops. Anna lost interest in Zonko’s Joke Shop fairly quickly, and since Neville had no intention of buying anything, they left the crowded store. Dogweed and Deathcap, a shop devoted to Herbology, was far more fascinating, and they browsed for a while. The owner of the store was friendly and knowledgeable. Neville was soon talking with him in earnest. They both also enjoyed walking around Tomes and Scrolls, the bookshop, and Anna purchased a few new books.

By the time they arrived at the Three Broomsticks, Neville was definitely hungry, and they were both thirsty. They found a table with Ron and Hermione and ordered four hot butterbeers. Anna wrapped her cold hands around the mug and sighed, enjoying the warmth and the smell of the beverage.

Neville sipped his butterbeer quietly as he looked around the crowded pub. A few couples were sitting in corners snogging, but most of the students were in larger groups like them.

Ron took a long drink before setting his glass down. “Aren’t you going to try it?” he asked the girls.

“Of course,” Hermione replied, as she and Anna both took small sips. It was delicious and definitely warming on such a cool day.

“Did you make it to the Shrieking Shack?” Ron asked Neville.

“No,” he said. “We spent most of the morning in the Herbology shop and the book store.”

“We went to the post office,” Hermione was telling Anna. “It was amazing to see so many different owls waiting to deliver letters! Some of them were really small and others were huge, and apparently very fast at delivering post according to the signs. It was all color coded and looked very well organized.”

“Oh, I would like to see the post office on our next visit, Neville,” Anna said. He grinned and nodded amiably before turning back to Ron.

“We should all go to the Shrieking Shack together as well,” Ron enthused. “It’s supposed to be one of the most haunted houses in Britain.”

Anna nodded uncertainly, but Hermione agreed that it would be wonderful to see a place of such historical importance.

“I’m going to order something to eat,” Neville decided. “Are you hungry, Anna?”

“Well, the fish and chips smell good,” Anna said, as she glanced at a large plate of it at a neighboring table. “But I’m not hungry enough to eat much right now.”

“We could share it, if you like,” Hermione suggested practically. “With the huge feast this evening, having a small lunch would be a good idea.”

Anna agreed, and Neville turned to Ron. “What do you think? Want to split an order of Cornish pasties?”

“Yeah, sounds good.”

Neville placed the order of Cornish pasties and fish and chips for the group. He handed Anna a bottle of malt vinegar as the two plates were set in the middle of the table.

“Thanks, Neville,” she said as she poured some vinegar over a piece of fish, and passed the bottle to Hermione. They slowly ate the hot, delicious food and finished their butterbeers. The pub was full of loud, excited students enjoying their day out, and Neville was happy to sit and talk until they were ready to walk back up to the castle.

That evening the Great Hall was decorated with orange and black for the Halloween feast. Pumpkins, large and small, carved and untouched, surrounded them as they watched the Hogwarts ghosts glide around the room. Nearly Headless Nick, the ghost of Gryffindor House, seemed to be having a particularly good time and was happily talking to as many students as possible about his near beheading centuries earlier. Anna, who had not heard the story before, was torn between amusement and disgust. She glanced at the staff table and was pleased to see Professor Lupin chuckling as he spoke with Professor Flitwick. All around the room everyone was loud and cheerful, clearly enjoying themselves.

The meal had been extraordinary, but the decadent chocolate gateau had Ginny sighing contentedly. “Oh Anna, you really should try this!”

“It looks very rich,” Anna murmured.

“Come on! It’s your birthday. You should indulge completely!” Ginny insisted.

Anna laughed and pulled a plate of the rich chocolate cake in front of her. She closed her eyes as she took a bite, and then moaned softly. Both girls were soon giggling as they enjoyed every morsel. Neville watched them with slightly puzzled amusement.

The hall was slowly emptying as students made their way to their dorms, but he wasn’t about to rush them. So, they were among the last Gryffindors to leave the hall and slowly make their way up the many staircases to their tower.

As they turned the corner, the silent, still crowd in front of them made it obvious that something was going on.

“Why is everyone waiting here?” Ginny asked. “Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know,” Anna said, as she stretched up on her toes trying to see over the students in front of them.

Neville looked around to see what the problem might be. Everyone seemed to be surrounding the entrance to the tower, but no one had entered the common room.

Just then, Professor Dumbledore swept past them towards the portrait of the Fat Lady. As the crowd parted, Neville caught a glimpse of the torn painting that guarded the entrance to the Gryffindor dormitory. He put his arm protectively around Anna, wondering what had happened. Other professors were rushing towards them, and he was relieved to see Lupin among them.

Peeves the Poltergeist delighted in telling the Headmaster what had happened to the Fat Lady and her portrait. “It was that escaped criminal, Sirius Black,” cackled Peeves as he floated above them. “The Fat Lady wouldn’t let him into the common room, and he attacked the portrait. She ran for it! That way!” He ended dramatically, pointing in the direction she had fled.

“Prefects, please escort your house back to the Great Hall,” Professor Dumbledore ordered before turning to the other professors. He continued more quietly. “All of the houses must be sent to the Hall so we may conduct a thorough search of the castle.”

The professors conferred quickly and began moving away to notify everyone of the Headmaster’s instructions. As he passed them, Remus caught Neville’s arm. “Stay with Anna. Don’t get separated.”

Neville nodded, tightening his grip on Anna, and followed the crowd quietly back to the Great Hall. Soon confused students from every house were joining them and asking what was going on. Word quickly spread through the mass of students that Sirius Black had been seen in the castle near the Gryffindor common room.

The Headmaster conjured hundreds of purple sleeping bags before leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge for the night. The members of each house seemed to automatically cluster together as they grabbed sleeping bags, so it was not surprising that most of the Gryffindors were in the same area.

“Hey, Neville. Did you see the portrait?” Dean asked as he climbed into a sleeping bag.

“Yeah, I did.” He spread two sleeping bags on the floor near the wall. “It looked pretty bad.” Neville glanced up to see that Anna was standing very still with her back against the wall. She was clutching her wand firmly in her right hand as her eyes carefully swept the room.

Ginny placed her sleeping bag beside the others just as Percy walked over and told everyone to lay down and be quiet.

Neville waited for him to walk away before softly saying, “Anna, please get in the sleeping bag. We’re all safe here. There are hundreds of wands in this room right now.”

Anna nodded her head hesitantly and got into the sleeping bag between Neville and Ginny, her wand still visible in her tightly fisted hand.

“I don’t want to sleep here either,” whispered Ginny reaching out for Anna’s left hand to clasp it firmly. Neville lay awake for hours listening to the girls’ quiet murmuring.

*************************************************************************************

The weeks between Halloween and Christmas passed with only a few unusual incidents. The most frightening event was when Harry fell off his broom during the Quidditch match against Hufflepuff. Miraculously, the Headmaster managed to slow his descent as he tumbled towards the ground. Harry still spent days in the hospital wing recovering from the fall. Dumbledore was enraged that the Dementors had come onto the grounds during the game and drove them off with a powerful silvery spell from his wand.

Professor Lupin was ill and missed a couple of days of classes. Unfortunately, Professor Snape took over some of the Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons and assigned a lengthy essay on werewolves for homework. Hermione, who had already completed the essay by the next lesson, was the only student disappointed when the assignment was canceled upon Lupin’s return. Anna was simply relieved.

Overall as the days past, Anna was feeling better about Hogwarts. She enjoyed most of her lessons and was confident she could keep up. Having Neville and Remus at school helped her feel safe and connected to family.

She had become friendly with all of the Gryffindor third years as well as a few students from other years. Among the girls, she was closest to Ginny, though she also spent quite a bit of time with Hermione. Ginny was the friend she could be a bit silly with, but also the friend who seemed most sensitive to some of her darker moods. Anna and Ginny often sat on one of their beds in the evening. They would eat chocolate, play games, fix each others hair and nails, or flip through books. Ginny occasionally asked for help with her lessons, and Anna was always willing to study with her, proofread her papers, or help her practice spells.

Hermione was the friend Anna could sit with in the classes they did not share with Neville, Harry, and Ron. They often worked together on their Ancient Runes and Arithmancy homework. Hermione was extremely intelligent and very organized. Anna appreciated her as a study partner. She was also far less intrusive than their roommates could occasionally be. Lavender and Parvati seemed to want to talk about boys a great deal more than Anna thought was necessary. They were also constantly wondering and asking about who fancied who, and whether Anna was interested in anyone.

*************************************************************************************

As the Christmas holidays approached, Neville and Anna became increasingly excited about going home to Longbottom Manor. Remus was to accompany them, and Anna’s father was scheduled to visit for a few days. They took the Floo Network home, and Neville was the first to go through.

“Gran!” Neville called as he walked into his grandmother’s open arms to hug her. As he stepped out of her embrace, she assessed him carefully. “You’ve grown taller. You look quite well, Neville.”

He grinned at the praise as Augusta went over to hug Anna. “I’m very glad to have you both home for the holidays. How are you, my dear?”

“I’m fine, Aunt Augusta. Thank you!” Anna smiled. “I have always loved Christmas. Can we start decorating soon?”

Remus chuckled as Augusta sighed indulgently. “The tree is up in the garden room and a box of decorations is on the floor ready for you,” she replied. “I will ask Bitty to bring in biscuits and cider.”

Neville and Anna raced to the garden room as Remus greeted Augusta.

“I’ve appreciated your letters about the children’s progress,” Augusta said. “They both really do look well. Andrew sent a note that he will come on Christmas morning and stay through Boxing Day.”

“That will be good for Anna,” Remus remarked. “May I remind you I will be away for a few days just after Christmas?” He paused for a moment before meeting her eyes.

Augusta patted his arm. “You’ll be visiting friends and taking care of some personal business no doubt. By the way, there is a Christmas Eve party that I really should attend. I’m afraid it will be a rather formal event and is likely to last for hours. I thought about taking the children, but…” her voice trailed off.

“Augusta, I would be very happy to stay here with the children. Please stay out as late as you like and have a good time,” Remus reassured her.

They spent the next few days decorating two Christmas trees, the one in the garden room as well as another in the lounge. Once the trees were complete, they busied themselves making wreathes for the doors, hanging garland, and wrapping presents. Bitty and Litty even welcomed the children into the kitchen to help bake biscuits, scones, and pies. Anna particularly enjoyed decorating and spent hours patiently piping icing, making intricate designs and faces, on the gingerbread men.

Christmas Eve morning welcomed them with a gentle snow which continued until early afternoon. The fat white flakes left several inches of snow for them to enjoy. By evening, Remus, Anna, and Neville had already made a large snowman and enjoyed a snowball fight. They soon realized that Neville was very good at quickly making snowballs, Remus had an excellent aim, and Anna was adept at dodging. When they finally returned to the house, they were all laughing good naturedly, and were extremely cold and wet.

As they entered the hall, Anna squealed, “Daddy!” She ran into her father’s arms. He lifted her off the ground and twirled her around before setting her down and remarking, “Well, you have certainly been enjoying the snow!”

Anna blushed as she saw the wet, soiled condition of her father’s suit. “Oh, I’m sorry. I can fix that.” She pulled out her wand and quickly cast drying and warming charms on her father’s clothes, as well as a mild cleaning charm.

Andrew smiled wistfully as he watched her. “I remember my mother doing that when I was a child, and then your lovely mother cleaning my clothes in the same way when you were a baby.”

A tear ran down Anna’s cheek at his words, and he used his thumb to gently brush it away. “Honey, it’s important to remember those we loved and lost, but it’s Christmas, and we shouldn’t be sad. I’m very glad that you’ve become such a talented little witch.”

“Thank you, Daddy,” Anna murmured, taking a steadying breath. “Aunt Augusta said you would not be here until tomorrow morning.”

“Well, that was the plan, but when I had the opportunity to catch an earlier flight from Munich, I took it!” Andrew grinned and looked up to see Remus and Neville. “Good to see you, Remus,” Andrew said as they shook hands. “How are you, Neville? You look taller.” Neville was pleased by the attention. The rest of the evening passed in friendly conversation and a few spirited games of charades.

Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8 Secrets and Questions

Chapter 8
Secrets and Questions

Remus quietly entered the house and made his way to the kitchen. His body ached, and he was exhausted. He was also hungry and hoped that he could find something to eat.

“Hi Litty,” he greeted the house-elf as he entered the kitchen. “Something smells delicious!”

“Mr. Remus, sir, welcome home,” Litty replied in her soft, high-pitched voice. “I have onion soup on the stove, and I can make you a sandwich, sir.”

He smiled in appreciation of how truly excellent the Longbottom Manor house-elves were. “Thank you, Litty. That would be wonderful.”

Remus sat at the kitchen table and began eating the hot, flavorful soup. It was just what he needed. As Litty placed a plate with a large ham and cheese sandwich on the table, he asked where the family was.

“Miss Anna’s father left after breakfast this morning, and Mistress took Master Neville to visit his Great Uncle Algie this afternoon, sir,” she explained. “Anna stayed behind to do school work.”

“Where is she now?” he inquired, as he put his spoon in the empty bowl and pushed it aside.

Litty paused thoughtfully for a moment. “I haven’t seen her for at least an hour. She may have gone for a walk in the garden, sir. Mistress did not say she must remain in the house.”

“I’ll go look for her after I’ve finished lunch,” Remus decided. “Thank you, Litty.”

She smiled and bobbed her head before returning to her work. He was just finishing his sandwich when Anna came into the kitchen.

“Remus.” She greeted Lupin with a smile. “Aunt Augusta said you would be back today.” Anna looked at him searchingly for a moment. “I finished a translation for my Ancient Runes class a little while ago. Would you mind looking it over for me when you get the chance?”

He nodded. “I’d be happy to look at it for you. Just let me freshen up, and I’ll meet you in the garden room in…perhaps twenty minutes.” He rose and ascended the stairs. A quick shower would help him feel more like his normal self.

When he came back downstairs, he found Anna sipping a cup of tea in the garden room and nibbling on a scone.

“Would you like a cup of tea?” she asked sitting up properly.

“Yes, thank you,” Remus said as he picked up the translation she had left on the table. He read it over quietly, glancing at the book she had left open for reference.

After checking it twice, he set her translation aside. “It looks perfect, but please keep in mind Ancient Runes was not a particular strength of mine in school. You may want to have Hermione look it over as well.”

Anna laughed. “Fortunately, Hermione will ask to see it as soon as we return. She’ll want to compare it to her own translation and determine if we missed anything. She really is a dedicated student!”

“I agree.” Remus smirked as he reached for the tea cup Anna handed him. He noticed the scar on her hand immediately, and set the tea cup on the table looking at his young student seriously. “Anna,” he began. “What happened to your hand?”

Anna dropped her hands to her lap, “Nothing…uh…I was just a bit clumsy. It’ll look better tomorrow, I’m sure.”

Remus took a steadying breath. He had been ignoring this for months, and it was past time for him to say something. “I have seen a scar on the palm of your left hand more times than I can count.” He raised a curious brow, and his tone became slightly accusatory. “Anna, please tell me what you are doing. No one is so clumsy that they accidentally cut their hand in the same place every month.”

She gripped her hands together tightly, staring down at them.

“I’m concerned about you,” he explained. “I don’t know why, but you seem to be hurting yourself on a regular basis. I want to help you, but I can’t help you unless you confide in me.”

For a moment, he thought she was about to explain. Then, she looked up with unnaturally calm, distant eyes. “We all have our secrets, Remus. Please respect mine, just as I respect yours.”

He stared at her, wondering if she somehow knew, and felt a gnawing unease in the pit of his stomach.

Anna looked into her teacher’s eyes and sighed. “You cannot help me any more than I can help you.” She smiled sadly. “The full moon was last night,” Anna said softly. “You are looking far better today than you sometimes look after your transformation.”

Remus’s eyes widened for a moment, then he closed them and rubbed his forehead tiredly. “How long have you known?” he murmured.

“Only the last couple of months,” she replied. “I really should have noticed sooner than I did. I’m so sorry you have to go through that every month.”

He looked up to see tears in Anna’s eyes and felt sure that she was being completely sincere.

“I won’t tell anyone.” She pressed her lips together before continuing. “It’s your business and no one else’s. I’m sure that Aunt Augusta must know, but I don’t think Neville realizes. He’s wonderfully kind and decent though. He won’t mind when he figures it out.”

Remus nodded. He was certain she was correct. He had tried to be more blatant with Augusta as time passed, and he was sure that she did in fact know of his lycanthropy. Anna was right about Neville as well. He was one of the kindest boys Remus had ever known. While he might be shocked initially, he would understand and empathize given time.

“Anna.” Remus chose his words with due care. “I’m actually glad you know I’m a werewolf, and more relieved than I can possibly tell you that you don’t seem to be afraid of me. My concern for you is as genuine as your concern for me. So please tell me why you have a scar on your hand so often. Are you cutting your hand?”

She looked at him with wide, hollow eyes. “Yes,” she murmured.

“Are you punishing yourself for some reason?” he asked.

Anna shook her head.

“Is it for a spell?” he pressed. “Most spells involving blood are dark magic, Anna. You shouldn’t be doing any spells that require you to cut your hand like that.”

She shook her head harder. “You don’t understand! It isn’t dark. My grandmother never would have taught me anything evil, not ever! She was trying to help me, trying to protect me.”

Anna stood up and paced the room for a moment. She stopped and pressed her clenched hands against her chest. “Please respect my secrets, Remus. I have done nothing wrong, just as you are doing nothing wrong when you are gone and ill every month. Please!”

Remus sighed deeply as she fled the room. He hoped he hadn’t just damaged their relationship, and he wondered again what on earth her grandmother had taught her, and why.

*************************************************************************************

Ginny sat down heavily in a chair and stared into the fire in the Gryffindor common room. Her holiday at home had been pleasant enough, but the moment she returned to Hogwarts, Ron had started complaining about Hermione. Oddly enough, Harry had not quietly defended her as he usually did. She hated their constant bickering.

“Hi, Ginny,” Neville said as he and Anna sat on the nearby sofa. “Did you have a nice holiday?”

“Yes,” she sighed. “It was lovely. I wish I was still home actually. Ron and Harry seem to be very upset with Hermione about something, and I’m rather afraid to ask what happened.”

“Oh, no,” Anna murmured looking around the common room. “Is Hermione in the library? I didn’t see her upstairs.”

Ginny nodded. “She must be in the library. I haven’t seen her at all yet.”

Neville stood up. “I’ll see what I can find out.”

He walked up to Ron and was soon in conversation with him. Ron was gesticulating wildly as he spoke.

Anna watched for a moment and then said to Ginny. “I think I’ll go upstairs and unpack. Do you want to come with me? My father bought me some new clothes.”

Ginny grinned and followed Anna up the stairs. They spent a pleasant evening unpacking clothes, talking about what they did over Christmas, and trying out a few new hairstyles. They were giggling when Hermione came into the room.

“Oh, hi, Hermione,” Anna greeted her. “How was your holiday?”

“Fine,” Hermione hesitated. “Well it started out fine, but…you haven’t heard?”

“No,” Ginny answered. “Did something happen?”

Hermione sat on her bed and pulled her sleeping cat onto her lap. “Harry got a Firebolt for Christmas.”

“What?!” Ginny exclaimed. “A Firebolt. A real Firebolt. For Christmas!”

Hermione sighed. “Yes, a real Firebolt, but there was no note attached, and Harry has no idea who actually sent it.”

“Well, who cares who sent it!” Ginny proclaimed. “A real Firebolt! Oh, I’m going to ask if I can see it.”

She was almost out the door when Hermione’s next words stopped her.

“Harry doesn’t have it anymore.”

“Why not? What happened to it?” Ginny asked.

“Well,” Hermione stroked her cat and looked out the window for a moment. “I told Professor McGonagall he got it and that there was no note attached.” She looked at them both in turn, willing them to understand. “The professor took the broom so that it could be checked for possible dark magic.”

Ginny stared at Hermione and then glanced at Anna.

“What makes you think it might be hexed?” Anna asked.

“I don’t know that it is, of course, but it could have been sent by Sirius Black. He could be trying to kill Harry with that broom!” Hermione announced.

“So.” Ginny swallowed as she tried to compose her thoughts. “The professors are just going to examine the broom and then give it back to Harry. He will surely have it before the next Quidditch match, right?”

Hermione shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t really know. Professor McGonagall said they would strip it down and look for dark curses.”

Ginny’s eyes had grown wide with horror. “Strip it down?” She shook her head in disbelief.

“Look, I’m just trying to protect Harry!” Hermione exclaimed. “Someone has to watch out for him and think about this sort of thing.”

Anna looked from Hermione to Ginny and back again. “No one doubts that you have Harry’s best interests at heart, I’m sure,” Anna said calmly. “Perhaps we can compare our translations for Ancient Runes, Hermione. After all they are due tomorrow, and I’m not certain that mine is correct.”

Hermione immediately agreed and went to get her translation, as a still stunned Ginny slipped out of the room. Anna pulled out her translation and flipped through the pages of her book. Hopefully, the professors would return the broom to Harry soon. All of Gryffindor tower was likely to be in an uproar if the Firebolt was not given back to Harry before the next Quidditch match.

*************************************************************************************

Professor McGonagall didn’t enter Gryffindor tower often. Yet this particular evening, she had a grim-faced Professor Lupin with her for support. They glanced at each other as they both took deep, cleansing breaths to compose themselves.

The portrait opened, and both professors stepped into the common room. It was an ordinary school night, and students were dispersed throughout the large open space, some doing homework, others playing games. Minerva spotted Anna quickly. She was at a table with Hermione Granger comparing notes for class.

“Excuse me,” she said calmly. “Miss Henry, could you please come with me for a moment.”

Anna looked up startled. “Yes, of course, professor. I’ll just…”

“It’s okay, Anna. I’ll take your things upstairs,” Hermione assured her with a worried smile.

Anna nodded gratefully as she stood up and followed the professor out of the common room. She did not notice Lupin softly murmur “Neville,” as if signaling her cousin to follow them out of the portrait hole.

When they arrived in Professor McGonagall’s office, she invited them all to sit down. Anna was slightly reassured having Neville and Remus with her.

“Miss Henry,” said the professor, in the gentlest voice Anna had ever heard her use. “I’m afraid I have some very sad news. I’ve just received word from Mrs. Longbottom. Unfortunately, your father was in an accident.”

Anna’s eyes grew wide with horror as she stared at the professor. Her jaw fell slack.

“I’m so sorry, dear. He…he did not survive,” McGonagall stated quietly. “Your aunt is requesting that Professor Lupin bring you home as soon as possible.”

Anna blinked rapidly, taking shallow breaths. Neville grabbed her hands firmly in his own. He said nothing, but his presence was enough for her to maintain control.

Remus placed a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it gently. “We can have one of your friends pack a bag for you and be on our way as soon as you are ready.”

She nodded, pressing her lips together hard as she gripped Neville’s hands tightly in her own. No one spoke for a moment giving her time to process what was happening. Finally, she looked at Neville and managed to speak. “W-will you please ask Ginny and Hermione to... to pack a bag for me?”

He nodded and stood up. “I’ll be back soon.” He gave her hands one final squeeze and then left the room.

Minerva looked at her student sadly. She was far too young to have lost all of her family, and yet from what Augusta had communicated only a short time ago, Anna had no other family left besides her great aunt and cousin. Her grandparents and parents were all deceased. It was more than any child should have to bear.

“Would you like some tea?” she inquired.

Anna nodded. “Yes, thank you,” she whispered.

Minerva summoned a house-elf and requested tea. She was quietly waiting for the explosion; waiting for the denial; waiting for the tears. This was the worst part of her job. Fortunately, she did not often have to tell a student that a loved one had passed unexpectedly. Each time the student would eventually be overwhelmed by their grief and express it in some way.

Anna did not.

As the tea was delivered and poured, as time passed, the girl sat quietly. Her rigid control made Minerva extremely uneasy. It was not natural for a girl her age to be so poised in the face of a tragedy.

Neville returned with the bag and gave her a hug, whispering, “I’m so sorry, Anna.”

Then, she and Remus were gone, disappearing in the flashing inferno of the Floo.

Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter 9 Gringotts

Chapter 9
Gringotts

Remus had brought Anna home to Longbottom Manor three days ago, and then returned to Hogwarts, so he would not miss teaching any of his Defense Against the Dark Arts classes. It had been a long and stressful three days for Augusta. She was relieved that Remus would be coming back this evening with Neville and staying for the weekend. Their presence in the house would be helpful, and she was looking forward to talking to Remus. The funeral service for Andrew Henry would be held the following afternoon.

When Anna came home, she had been so still and so quiet that Augusta had repeated the news to her of her father’s death. She wanted to be certain her great niece understood what happened. Andrew had died in a car crash several days ago. The report explained that his death had been almost instantaneous according to the police. He was declared dead at the scene of the accident. Anna had looked at her vacantly for a moment, and then requested permission to retire for the night. Augusta had agreed, sending the house-elf Litty to assist her.

Ever since then, Anna had come downstairs for meals, but had otherwise been in her room or outside walking over the frozen paths through the woods that surrounded the manor. Litty was gradually spending more time with her, selecting clothes for her to wear, brushing and braiding her hair, drawing water for her bath, and reminding her to go to the dining room to eat. Augusta was extremely grateful for her house-elf’s competent assistance.

The Floo flared and Neville stepped out of the fireplace followed closely by Remus.

“Hi, Gran,” Neville said quietly as he looked around. “Where’s Anna?”

Augusta hugged her grandson briefly. “She’s in her room. I’m sure that Litty is helping her dress for dinner and will send her down soon. I’m very glad that you’re both here.”

Remus nodded. “How is she doing?”

“As usual, Anna is perfectly calm… unnaturally calm,” Augusta sighed as she sat on the couch. “I keep waiting for her to react, but she is simply not reacting. Perhaps after the service tomorrow.”

“Yes,” Remus agreed. “Sometimes it takes the funeral service for the grieving to begin when a loved one is lost.”

“Will Anna be coming back to Hogwarts with us on Sunday?” Neville asked. The hope in his voice was clear, and his grandmother smiled sadly at him.

“No, dear,” she said gently. “Your cousin is not ready to return to school, and even if she was, we would have to delay.” Augusta looked at Remus as she continued. “Gringotts has requested our presence on Tuesday morning to discuss the matter of the vault and guardianship issues.”

Remus raised an eyebrow. “Andrew formally made you her guardian in the event of his death, I hope?”

She nodded. “He did indeed; however, I know very little of his financial situation or what arrangements he made at Gringotts. It will likely be an interesting meeting,” Augusta said.

Anna walked quietly into the room. “Neville, I’m so happy to see you,” she said as she approached him. He walked to her and pulled her into his arms. She stiffened for a moment and then held him tightly. “Thank you,” she murmured.

“You’re not alone, Anna. Don’t forget that,” he entreated as he released her.

She looked into his eyes and nodded. Then, she acknowledged her professor. “I’m glad you’re here, Remus. Thank you for coming.”

“Of course,” he said quietly. “Your father was a wonderful man, and I feel honored to have known him, even if it was briefly.”

At a loss for words, Anna swallowed and blinked rapidly.

Fortunately, Bitty announced dinner, and the family moved into the dining room. Everyone made an effort to keep the conversation light. They spoke of lessons, the food, and even the weather.

*************************************************************************************

The funeral service was a bit of a blur for Anna. Litty had helped her dress in the same simple black gown she had worn almost a year earlier for her grandmother’s funeral. She had brushed her hair and tied it with a plain black ribbon into a low ponytail. Neville had walked beside Anna out to the small family cemetery on the corner of the Longbottom property. A dozen headstones stood inside the low wrought iron fence. The deep hole was already prepared in the frozen ground. Next to it was her father’s solid oak casket.

As she stood quietly, her mind kept returning to the other family funerals she had attended in the past. She could still smell the fragrant roses that had been at her grandmother Katherine’s funeral. The beautiful white and yellow blooms had been her favorite flowers, and they had adorned her casket on that early spring day.

She could still hear the earnest eulogy given by a former student and fellow healer at her grandfather John’s funeral a few years earlier. The speaker had been so kind, telling her how talented her grandfather was and how much he would be missed at the hospital where he had worked for so many years.

Her memories of her other two grandparents’ funerals were less clear, but she remembered the solemnity and the feeling of loss. They had also been healers at the same hospital where her other grandfather worked. They were popular and respected in their fields, and the funerals had been well attended.

Anna wished she could bring to mind something of her mother, but she had been so young when her mother died. She had pictures, of course, but no true memories.

Forcing herself back to the present, she realized the service was coming to a close. Neville was quietly guiding her towards the coffin to put down the rose clutched in her hand. It was blood red. Her father had always liked red roses. Every time he had visited her mother’s grave in Virginia, he had taken a bouquet of red roses to leave by her headstone. Now there was no one left to visit those far away graves but her.

As much as Anna had been happy to see Neville and Remus arrive at Longbottom Manor, she was somewhat relieved when they returned to Hogwarts. Neville had spent time playing chess and card games with her. Remus had offered to read with her or work on a potion. They had been kind and attentive, but they seemed to want to be near her all the time. It felt as though they were watching her every move, and it was exhausting. She desperately needed some time alone.

That night, Anna delayed her evening walk until Augusta sat down at her desk to respond to recent correspondence. “It’s not so cold this evening. I think I’ll take a long walk around the property.”

“Of course, my dear,” her great aunt said. “I hope you have a pleasant walk.”

She nodded and left the house. She couldn’t hold herself together much longer and felt her control slipping rapidly. Anna proceeded quickly to her favorite spot in the woods behind the house. The half-moon was rising, giving a gentle glow to the path she followed. The leafless trees stood still in the darkness, while the lightest wind moved through her hair as she walked.

Anna sighed with relief when she reached the small clearing. It was a sheltered spot — a circle of towering trees where dried leaves thickly blanketed the ground. She used her wand to cut the palm of her left hand. The familiar ritual comforted her. She murmured the spells reverently as she pressed her bloody hand against the trunks of the four trees she used to anchor her magic. Waving her wand carefully, she cast the spells that would insure her privacy and protection.

The moment she felt the power of the charms take hold around her, Anna knew she was safe. She was free to express her pain, free to release her overwhelming grief. She collapsed sobbing onto the forest floor, shaking with the fearful realization of being alone in the world. Anna was separated from all she had once known, all she had once had. Everyone from her childhood in Virginia was gone. There was no one left. She laid there weeping until she felt completely drained…empty.

Sitting up, she looked down at the wand still clenched in her hand with blurry eyes. This wand could help her, could release her from this pain. Without conscious thought, Anna traced her wand down her left forearm from elbow to wrist.

It would be so easy to end it all.

To never have to suffer loss again.

To never feel paralyzed by fear again.

Suddenly horrified by her own thoughts, she dropped her wand and succumbed to the fear coursing through her. She screamed, so loudly and for so long that she was tasting blood in her throat before her voice finally gave way.

*************************************************************************************

Augusta read over the letter she had been working on for well over an hour. She sighed as she stood up, leaving the letter on her desk. She could post it first thing in the morning. It had been a long day, and she was definitely ready to retire for the night.

“Litty,” she called.

The house-elf responded to her summons a moment later.

“Mistress,” she said, waiting for instructions.

“Has Anna returned yet from her walk?” Augusta asked.

“No, Mistress,” Litty replied.

“Will you bring me my cloak please? I believe I’ll go check on her,” Augusta stated. At that exact moment, the door opened, and Anna walked in. Her shoes were damp and her cheeks were red.

“Oh, Anna,” her great aunt said. “I was just coming to look for you. I’m going up to bed, dear.”

Anna nodded and smiled slightly, approaching the older woman and kissing her cheek.

“Good night,” Augusta said resting her hand on the side of the girl’s cheek for a moment.

“Night,” she murmured before coughing hoarsely.

Augusta looked at her with concern before turning to Litty. “Please, get a cup of tea with lemon and honey for Anna. We don’t want her to be getting sick, and it sounds as though she has a very sore throat.”

Litty bobbed her head and left to get the tea while they walked together up the stairs.

*************************************************************************************

Anna took a deep breath before entering the large white marble building of Gringotts Wizarding Bank. She had been to Diagon Alley only once before, but had never visited Gringotts. Augusta had prepared her as best she could for the experience, but the reality was extraordinary. They ascended the white staircase and passed through two sets of immense solid metal doors before entering the main hall of the bank. Everything in the building was either pearly white or well-polished metal. Every surface gleamed and was utterly pristine. The quiet, calm efficiency of the place immediately struck Anna as she cast her eyes over the numerous goblins sitting behind raised counters all around her. Every one of them was working silently, and yet she believed they were all watching the few witches and wizards in the room.

Augusta confidently approached an older goblin who looked up at her with mild interest. “Mrs. Augusta Longbottom and Miss Anna Henry to see Gornuk. We have an appointment,” she stated clearly.

The goblin peered at them both for a moment before getting up. “Please follow me,” he said before he walked out of the hall and into a long corridor with several closed doors. Augusta and Anna followed quietly, and entered the large office belonging to Gornuk.

“Thank you for responding so promptly to my request for a meeting,” he said. “Please have a seat.” He indicated the two chairs facing his desk and the two ladies sat and waited for him to continue.

“Miss Henry, you have my condolences. I’m sure your father’s death was difficult for you,” Gornuk began.

“Thank you,” Anna responded, keeping her voice as clear and level as possible.

“As I hope you are aware, your father named Mrs. Longbottom as your guardian in the event of his death before your 17th birthday,” he continued.

Anna nodded.

“Your father was extremely precise in the matter of your financial affairs and very careful in how they are arranged,” Gornuk said, turning his attention to her great aunt. “In fact, he hesitated to name a guardian at all. Mr. Henry felt that it would not be necessary. I convinced him that if he failed to select a guardian, one would be chosen in the event of his death, and that it might be someone undesirable. He named you to be his daughter’s guardian, but the financial situation is somewhat complicated.”

“I can certainly understand Andrew being cautious,” Augusta admitted. “And, I’m not offended in the least. He hardly knew me, and we were not related by blood. Anna is only three years from being of age. There was no reason for him to think that he would pass in that short span of time.”

“Indeed,” Gornuk nodded, glancing down at the papers on his desk. “Mr. Henry arranged for his daughter’s inheritance in such a way that only Miss Henry can withdraw money from her vault. She will have to sign off on every expenditure from the vault, including such things as her tuition at Hogwarts. Any time she wants to remove a sum of more than one hundred Galleons from her account, you will need to sign off on the withdrawal as well, Mrs. Longbottom.”

Anna and Augusta both nodded to show understanding of the rules regarding the money in the vault.

“Miss Henry’s vault also contains numerous items of financial value, including a large number of heirlooms,” Gornuk explained. “These items may be removed by Miss Henry at any time and for any reason, according to the arrangements made by her father.” He turned slightly to look directly at her. “I would highly recommend that you refrain from taking out anything you do not need.”

The goblin eyed Anna searchingly for a moment. “Your father indicated that a couple of trunks were sealed by your grandmother in such a way that only you could open them. He admitted to not knowing anything about the contents of those trunks,” he paused. “Do you know how to open them?”

“Yes,” Anna replied.

She felt the goblin’s questioning gaze, but did not offer further information.

“Do you know what the trunks contain?” he pressed.

“Yes,” she answered shortly.

The goblin looked at her inquiringly and waited. The silence lengthened.

Gornuk grumbled as he shuffled the papers in front of him. “The current monetary funds in your account total just over five hundred thousand Galleons. The objects that we have been able to examine in the vault have an approximate value of ten thousand Galleons. Since we do not know what is in the sealed trunks, we cannot give you an exact account of your current financial situation.”

“I understand,” Anna said as calmly as she could.

He eyed her with unconcealed frustration. She took a slow breath and met his gaze. “I appreciate your help and your time in explaining the situation with my vault.”

A low rumbling sound emitted from Gornuk’s throat. It was a moment before Anna realized the goblin was chuckling.

Augusta caught her eyes briefly, but they both remained silent.

“Would you care to visit your vault today, Miss Henry?” the goblin inquired.

“Yes, please,” Anna nodded. “I will be withdrawing ninety-nine Galleons from my vault as well as an object from one of the sealed trunks.”

Augusta was torn between admiring the girl’s nerve and despairing over how little control she actually had over Anna.

Gornuk was still chuckling in that odd way as he escorted them out of his office and directed another goblin to take them to the vault.

Back to index


Chapter 10: Chapter 10 Spring

Chapter 10
Spring

Ginny sighed in frustration and tromped up the stairs to her dormitory. Her brother Ron had looked positively crazed moments earlier when he announced to the entire common room of Gryffindor Tower that his rat, Scabbers, was missing. He had then accused Hermione of not controlling her cat, who he was sure had attacked Scabbers. The bed sheet with bloody spots he held up was certainly proof of some sort of altercation. What a mess!

Ron could be stubborn and difficult at the best of times. Though he often complained about how useless Scabbers was, he was very attached to his pet. Hermione was determined to defend her cat, Crookshanks, even though it seemed likely that the orange beast had attacked the missing rat. Harry was, as usual, caught in the middle of their bickering. At least his Firebolt had been returned to him, so the Gryffindor team was set for their upcoming Quidditch match against Ravenclaw.

Ginny collapsed on her bed and stared up at the canopy. She wished Anna was around to talk to about this latest incident. Although, truthfully, Ginny didn’t know what she could say to Anna when she returned to school. It was so awful that her father had died. Ginny couldn’t imagine the pain of losing a parent, but Anna had now lost both.

Her thoughts turned to Harry. What had his childhood been like growing up without his parents? He and Anna had that in common now. They were both orphans. They had both been raised by relatives. Neither had much family left in the world. Ginny’s family was so large she could hardly imagine what that would be like.

Her musings were interrupted by the arrival of her roommates. Ginny had become far more friendly with them this year than last, but she couldn’t really confide her thoughts and feelings to them. Chewing on her lip thoughtfully, she pulled out a piece of parchment and got her quill ready. She would write a letter to her brother Charlie. Bill had received the last one, so it was Charlie’s turn. Besides, he was the animal expert. He was bound to have some good thoughts about the Crookshanks and Scabbers problem.

*************************************************************************************

Anna returned to school on a Sunday afternoon. Neville hugged her and pulled her over to the couch where Ginny was sitting.

“I’m glad you’re back,” Ginny said as she gave her friend a quick hug. “How are you?”

“Fine,” she replied, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. “I mean…” she pressed her lips together hard and then sighed. “I’m managing at the moment. I guess that’s a more honest answer.”

Ginny nodded thoughtfully. “Would you like to work on some homework or talk about anything?” she asked tentatively.

“Tell me about the Quidditch match against Ravenclaw. Neville wrote to me that we won,” Anna said with a sly smile. “Did Harry make a brilliant catch?”

Ginny laughed and launched into a lengthy retelling of the entire match, ending with Harry’s perfect capture of the snitch.

“The whole house was so thrilled! Fred and George somehow managed to get hold of a load of sweets and butterbeer. We had a wonderful party to celebrate,” Ginny paused, glanced around quickly, and lowered her voice. “Even Percy was extremely pleased, partly because he won a bet he had with Penelope.”

Anna giggled. “They’ve been together a while now, haven’t they?”

“At least a year, I think,” she replied. “He hasn’t really talked about it, so I can’t say how long for sure.”

Her friend nodded and asked about the other news of Gryffindor tower. Ginny had just finished filling her in on the problem of the missing rat, Scabbers, presumed dead at the paws of Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks, when Ron and Harry wandered over.

“Sorry to hear about your dad,” Harry said sincerely.

Anna’s hands were clenched in her lap, but she looked at him calmly. “Thanks, Harry.”

He shifted awkwardly for a moment. “Will you be okay? Living with your Great Aunt Augusta, I mean,” he said as he glanced over at Neville apologetically.

“Of course I will,” Anna assured him. “She’s always been perfectly kind to me.”

“Gran’s mellowed a lot in the last several months,” Neville observed. “I guess you really don’t like living with your aunt and uncle.”

Harry shook his head. “Not at all.” His stony expression made it clear he did not want to talk about his relatives.

Neville turned his attention back to Anna. “How did it go at Gringotts?”

“Better than I expected, honestly,” she replied. “Dad arranged the finances so that I am fully aware of every expenditure and have a lot of freedom with my money. Gornuk, the goblin in charge of my account, didn’t seem very pleased with me at first, but I made him laugh in the end!”

“You made a goblin laugh,” Ginny said incredulously. “How did you manage that?”

“Well, I suppose laugh is a bit of an overstatement. It was more of a chuckle.” Anna smiled. “Anyways, he explained that Aunt Augusta, as my legal guardian, had to sign off on any withdrawal over a hundred Galleons from my account. So, I withdrew ninety-nine Galleons.”

Neville and Harry both started laughing, while Ginny simply looked slightly stunned and impressed.

“Blimey,” Ron sputtered. “I wish I had a vault at Gringotts with that kind of gold in it.”

Harry stared at Ron for a moment as Neville and Anna became unnaturally still. “I think Anna would trade every Galleon for more time with her parents,” he said quietly. “I know I would.”

Ginny pressed her lips together hard as she stared at her friend.

“I think I should go unpack my bag,” Anna said softly as she stood.

“Would you like some help?” Ginny asked.

She nodded. “Thank you, Ginny. That would be nice.” The girls walked upstairs to the dorms.

*************************************************************************************

Augusta Longbottom walked into the elegant home of her old friend, Emily Macmillan. It was a stately manor with a grand entrance hall and an extraordinary ballroom. Emily and her husband, John, hosted a formal Christmas Eve party every year which was attended by most of the upper echelons of wizarding Britain. Augusta had been attending the annual party for more decades than she cared to admit, though she had missed a few years due to the horrors of the first wizarding war. She and Emily had been in the same year at Hogwarts so long ago. Though sorted into different houses, they had been friends throughout their time there. The two had remained close, celebrating marriages, births, and mourning over life’s tragedies.

“My dear, Augusta,” she said. “I’m so glad you were able to come to tea today. How have you been?”

The two friends embraced briefly and sat in the comfortable chairs of the parlor.

“I’ve been quite well, and I was very pleased to receive your invitation,” Augusta replied. “Have you redecorated? These drapes look quite new!”

Emily nodded eagerly and told her all about the recent refurbishment of the parlor. The ladies chatted pleasantly as they drank their tea and exchanged harmless gossip and news about old friends and acquaintances.

“And, how is Neville enjoying his year at Hogwarts?” Emily inquired.

Augusta smiled with satisfaction. “I believe this is his best year so far. He’s really making noticeable progress in his studies, and I have received some very positive notes from his professors.”

Augusta took another sip of her tea. “How is Ernie doing this year?”

“Quite well from what his parents tell me,” she replied proudly. “He is very fond of astronomy and has top marks at the moment.” She refilled their cups and passed the sugar. “Ernie mentioned that Neville is often with his new cousin. It’s good they are friends since she is living with you for the time being.”

“Yes,” Augusta murmured, stirring her tea gently. “Neville and Anna have become quite close.” She carefully placed her teacup on the table and looked at her friend seriously. “I wanted to tell you... Anna’s father died recently. I am now her legal guardian.”

Emily lowered her cup and looked at her friend in surprise. “Oh, Augusta, how awful! The poor girl losing her father so soon after her grandmother’s death.” She covered her lips with her fingers and shook her head slightly.

“It was a terrible shock,” she confided. “Andrew was perfectly healthy. He was involved in a horrific accident and died almost instantly.”

“Well, I’m sure it is some comfort that it was quick, but still…” Emily trailed off before gathering her thoughts. “How do you feel about being her guardian? Being completely responsible for her.”

“I won’t deny that it’s a bit overwhelming at my age, being responsible for two young people now.” Augusta sighed. “However, I must admit, Anna is rather easy to have around. She and Neville entertain each other and help one another with their studies. The tutor her father hired has worked out quite well and is willing to continue on in the post this summer. Financially, she is well provided for, so that is not a concern.” Augusta shrugged her shoulders and picked up her tea cup.

“So,” Emily began thoughtfully. “You said that Anna is well provided for financially.” She lifted an eyebrow as she gazed at her friend. “Is she well enough provided for to be considered an heiress?”

Augusta stared at the other woman for a moment and then groaned. “Yes…barely. I mean, she certainly has a respectable inheritance. I suppose she could be considered a minor heiress.”

Emily smiled shrewdly. “And her blood status?” she asked. “I assume her parents and grandparents were all witches and wizards.”

“Well, no,” Augusta replied. “Her mother was a witch, but her father was actually a squib.”

“But all four grandparents were magical, weren’t they?” Emily pressed.

“Yes,” said Augusta. “Her Longbottom grandmother was a talented witch. She finished at Hogwarts two years behind us.” Emily nodded. She vaguely remembered Katherine. “Her other three grandparents were all healers at the same hospital.”

“So, basically, you are now the guardian of a nearly pure blood witch who has a healthy inheritance and will be of age in three years,” Emily summarized. She raised her cup to salute her friend. “I wish you luck!”

Augusta sighed and rubbed her suddenly aching temple.

*************************************************************************************

Ginny and Anna snuck out of the castle just after dinner to take a short walk around the grounds. They were careful to keep close to the greenhouses. It was still light outside, so they felt perfectly safe even though they were technically out of bounds.

“Tell me what happened with Hermione,” Ginny demanded. “I heard she hit Draco Malfoy!”

Anna giggled. “She did hit him! I was shocked and so was Neville. Neither of us was close enough to really hear what happened, but we both heard the smack, and it was rather obvious since Malfoy was holding the side of his face, and Hermione had her hand raised.” She sighed. “I wish I’d been closer. You should’ve seen your brother’s face. Ron was looking at her with such admiration!”

Ginny grinned. “I bet he was! I would’ve loved to have seen that.” She sat down beneath a tree, and Anna joined her. “Do you know why she hit him? I mean besides the obvious reason of Malfoy being a dreadful human being.”

“Yes,” Anna’s smile faded. “It had something to do with the hippogriff, Buckbeak. The poor creature is going to be executed for the supposedly serious injury Malfoy suffered at the beginning of the school year.”

Ginny sighed unhappily. “Poor Hagrid,” she murmured. “He must be so upset.”

Anna nodded, and they sat quietly for a time enjoying the slight breeze and the freedom of being outside. It was unseasonably warm for early April. Many of the trees and shrubs were covered with buds and fresh pale green leaves. It was obvious that spring had reached their area of Scotland. “Did you hear about Hermione leaving Divination?”

Anna winced. “Yes,” she admitted. “Lavender and Parvati were rather upset with Hermione. They said that she was quite rude to Professor Trelawney.”

Ginny nodded. “What do you think? I mean, I know you didn’t see since you don’t take Divination.”

“Well, I think it’s great that Hermione is taking one less class,” she said. “I mean, the schedule doesn’t allow a student to take so many subjects. I’m taking three electives, and I know how busy I am all the time. I don’t know how she was even taking five electives.”

“Why didn’t you sign up for Divination?” Ginny inquired. “Most students seem to think it’s an easy class, even if Professor Trelawney is a bit…well, off-putting.”

Her friend stared up into the darkening night sky quietly for a moment. “I don’t really want to know my future. Perhaps, I’m afraid of it.” She sighed and leaned back on her elbows. “Just dealing with life now feels challenging enough most of the time,” she explained with a slightly bitter chuckle. “The future can take care of itself! Besides, my grandmother never had a single positive remark about the subject of Divination.”

Ginny laughed. “Well, the professor does seem a bit odd, to say the least. What do you think of the electives you’re taking?”

“Ancient Runes is my favorite by far,” Anna replied. “But, I like Care of Magical Creatures well enough, even if it is mostly because I like Hagrid. Arithmancy is challenging. The homework is constant and time consuming; however, the professor is brilliant, and I’m learning a lot.”

Ginny laid down on the soft grass thinking about what electives she wanted to take next year. Ancient Runes seemed like an excellent choice, and she thought Magical Creatures would be interesting as well. She was tempted to take Muggle Studies. Her father was fascinated by Muggles, and it might be a useful class.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden hissing sound next to her.

She gasped involuntarily at the sight of the gray and brown snake a few feet from her. It had a black pattern on its back.

“It’s okay, Ginny,” Anna murmured. “It’s an adder. Please be still. It won’t hurt you.”

Ginny’s eyes widened in horror as Anna hissed at the snake. It moved slowly away from her and approached Anna. She was sitting up now and looking at the snake calmly, while making soft sibilant noises at the reptile.

It seemed to gaze at Anna for a long moment, listening intently, before it slowly slithered away into the night.

“You’re a Parselmouth!” Ginny exclaimed as she scrambled into a standing position. Her body felt disconnected, completely numb, causing her to sway slightly as images of the Chamber and of Tom Riddle raced through her mind.

Anna eyed her cautiously as she slowly rose to her feet. “I know. I’m sorry you had to find out like that. It was just a male adder, recently awake from hibernation and searching for a mate. I promise you. It was completely harmless, Ginny! When I asked it to move away, it left us in peace.”

“How can you talk to snakes?” Ginny demanded, pressing a hand against her chest as she forced herself to take slower breathes.

Anna sighed. “I’ve always been able to talk to snakes for as long as I can remember. My grandmother once told me that my mom could speak Parseltongue as well. I’m not evil, Ginny, and neither was that snake!”

“Who else knows?” Ginny asked. “Who knows you can talk to snakes?”

“Neville knows,” Anna replied, staring into the darkness for a moment before returning her attention to her friend. “He caught me talking to a snake at Longbottom Manor last summer. He warned me not to tell anyone. He told me that people thought Harry was evil last year when they realized he was a Parselmouth.”

Ginny watched Anna closely for a moment, her mind still racing. Anna's eyes had the same look she had seen in Harry's far too often, a look of defeat, of weary acceptance that you're about to be blamed for something that isn't your fault. She exhaled slowly. So many students had blamed Harry last year for opening the Chamber of Secrets because he could talk to snakes. They thought he was the Heir of Slytherin because of his ability. Of course, Ginny knew the truth. The Chamber had been her horror, her nightmare, her fault for trusting the diary, for trusting Tom. Harry was not evil in any way, yet he could speak Parseltongue. What kind of person would she be if she held this ability against Anna?

Back to index


Chapter 11: Chapter 11 Lessons and Exams

Chapter 11
Lessons and Exams

Neville sat with Ginny and Anna during the final game for the Quidditch Cup. It was Gryffindor against Slytherin. The match was the most brutal he had ever seen, and judging from the reactions of those around him, it was the most violent game the vast majority of the spectators had ever witnessed. Madam Hooch awarded numerous penalty shots to the Gryffindor team and frequently yelled at a member of the Slytherin team.

When Harry caught the snitch, Neville shouted himself hoarse as Ginny and Anna screamed, hugged, and laughed beside him. The party that night in Gryffindor tower was nearly overwhelming. Sweets and butter beer had been abundant, as well as a bottle of firewhiskey, which had passed among the older students.

Everyone in Gryffindor had congratulated the members of the Quidditch team numerous times. Harry, in particular, had blushed at the amount of attention and accolades he received. It had been a brilliant weekend! Unfortunately, it was quickly followed by the immense demands of studying for finals.

Neville was honestly not too worried. He only really cared about Herbology, and he knew he would do well in that subject. He hoped he would do okay in his other subjects, but he knew Herbology was his future, the only discipline that was truly important to him. Since he didn’t want to disappoint his grandmother or Remus, he made an effort to study every subject diligently before his exams began.

The fifth and seventh year students, who were studying for OWLs and NEWTs, were particularly stressed and short tempered, but Neville found that all of the students were a bit edgy at this time of year. Hermione was looking especially out of sorts, and even Anna seemed far more stressed than usual.

By the time of the Defense Against the Dark Arts exam on Thursday, he was just pleased that the end of the school year was almost upon them. Professor Lupin’s exam was an obstacle course during which the third year students had to fight off several magical creatures, including a Grindylow, Red Caps, a Hinkypunk, and a Boggart in a magical trunk.

Neville was reasonably satisfied that he performed well enough when facing each creature, though he knew that he was a bit slow in realizing that the Hinkypunk was trying to lead him astray. Anna emerged from the obstacle course in good time; however, she was decidedly pale and shaking after successfully completing the exam.

“Anna!” Remus exclaimed as he grabbed her by the shoulders and looked her over quickly, including a glance at the palms of her hands. “Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yes,” she gasped. “It was just the Boggart! I’m fine, completely fine.”

Anna moved away from the testing location as quickly as possible with Neville close beside her.

“You’re sure you’re okay?” Neville asked.

“I just want to get back to the tower. Please Neville, I need to lay down for a while,” she said.

Neville put his arm around her protectively and led her back to the Gryffindor dorms.

He still had his Divination exam later that afternoon, but her exams were finished for the day.

*************************************************************************************

Anna laid on her bed shaking, relieved that she was alone in the dorm room. Hermione would be taking her Muggle Studies exam now. Lavender and Parvati would be with Neville taking the Divination exam. She had some time to be alone to get ahold of herself.

Anna groaned angrily. She should have thought, should have realized, what the Boggart would turn into. Remus had been very clear that a Boggart turns into your worst fear. In truth, Anna thought she had many fears and had been relieved during that first class at the beginning of the school year when she had not had a turn with the creature. During the final exam, alone in the trunk with the Boggart, she had seen him. The Boggart had become Tom. She should have known.

Suddenly overwhelmed, Anna waved her wand, murmuring spells to seal and silence the room for just a short time. She allowed herself to become lost in the memory, in the horror of seeing him again. The Boggart had become Tom. He had stood before her, the swaggering proud young Slytherin prefect had walked towards her with malicious glee. He had unzipped his pants, and in terror, Anna had sent a cutting hex at him, before remembering the proper incantation of 'Riddikulus'. Her curse had caused his penis to shrink, before falling off and dropping to the ground. The rest of his body parts had broken off and fallen in bits all around her.

Anna laughed hysterically as she lived the moment again in her mind. Her crazed laughter turned to screams and then sobs. She felt as though she couldn’t breathe, couldn’t think, couldn’t get control.

It was the first time she had seen Tom, other than in a nightmare, since that day with the Pensieve at her grandmother’s house in Virginia.

“Grandma,” she moaned desperately, as her mind went back to that cold December day over a year ago. Her father had just left their house after declaring that Anna would be attending Hogwarts beginning the following school year.

Her grandmother had called her into the living room and removed her precious Pensieve from its locked box with slightly shaking hands. Over the years, Anna had frequently been allowed to view memories in her grandmother’s Pensieve. They had always been fun, happy moments of time. Her favorite memories were of her mother when she was a child.

“Anna,” Grandma began, a tear sliding down her cheek, as she took an unsteady breath. “There is a…a memory I must show you. It’s not going to be pleasant, and I’m so…” she shuddered slightly. “I’m so sorry, my dear, but you’ve got to know!”

“Why?” she asked fearfully, gripping her hands tightly. “What do I have to see?”

Her grandmother cut open her thumb with her wand allowing a drop of blood to fall on a closed wooden box Anna had never seen before. The box opened, and she removed a marked vial, dropping the contents into the Pensieve, stirring slowly.

“Your father insists that you attend Hogwarts. I must teach you how to protect and defend yourself, and before those lessons begin, you must know why they are necessary,” she replied in a hollow voice. “Please go into the memory. You know how, and we will talk when you…when you come back out.”

Anna’s mouth opened in shock. “You’re not coming in with me?”

“No,” Grandma said, shaking her head violently and sinking into the nearest armchair. She twisted a handkerchief in her fingers. “I’m sorry. Go in. You must see.”

Anna had gone into the memory, had seen the dark corridors of Hogwarts, had witnessed the horror of Tom’s vicious attack on Katherine so long ago. By the time she exited the memory, tears were streaming down her pale cheeks. Her grandmother had held her tightly in her arms, comforted her, dried her eyes, and helped her understand the horrible truth.

“Is he still there?” she asked in a small voice. “Is that man living in Britain now?”

Grandma shook her head slightly. “I don’t believe so. I made some quiet inquiries a couple of years ago, and his name had not appeared in the Daily Prophet, that’s the newspaper there. The young man I had look into it was only able to look back at the previous dozen years or so, but there was no mention of his name at all.” She sighed and rubbed her forehead tiredly. “Hopefully, he is long deceased. If he is still alive and living in Britain, he can’t possibly be anyone of importance or his name would have been in the paper at some point, for a birth, marriage, Ministry event, promotion…something. Wizarding society in Britain is rather small.”

Anna sniffled and rubbed at her gritty eyes, still trying to process all that she had just learned. “I’m so sorry, Grandma,” she said helplessly. “Did my mother know?”

“No, dear,” she replied, smoothing back her granddaughter’s hair from her face. “I never had to tell her. She was safe here in Virginia. I hoped you would be too, but now….now you understand, of course, that you must never speak of this,” her grandmother said seriously. “No one must ever know the truth. Your grandfathers were both healers. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Grandma,” she promised.

Katherine nodded, satisfied. Her granddaughter was a strong, intelligent girl, and she showed signs of being magically powerful.

“I will teach you how to protect and defend yourself,” she said. “What I am going to teach you is not taught at Hogwarts. It is advanced magic, and some of it is not pleasant. You will learn Occlumency to protect your mind. It will enable you to always be in control and to keep your secrets. The spells that I will teach you, well, the good news is that you’ve already learned quite a few healing charms and potions.”

Her grandmother had trained her relentlessly during those last few months of her life, thus Anna had learned how to survive.

Now, in her dorm room in Gryffindor tower, Anna took a slow, deep breath. Control, she thought forcefully. You must stay in control. She closed her eyes, taking refuge in her Occlumency skills to compartmentalize her mind. She felt herself becoming more centered, more calm as the minutes passed.

*************************************************************************************

That evening after dinner, Ginny sat with Anna and Neville in the Gryffindor common room.

“Did you hear about the hippogriff, Buckbeak?” Ginny asked them. “It’s supposed to be executed at sunset.”

Anna nodded grimly as she looked out the window. The sun would be setting soon.

“I notice Harry, Ron, and Hermione are not in the common room this evening,” Neville said quietly as he glanced around. “Do you think they went to visit Hagrid?”

“I don’t know,” Ginny replied. “They may have. Hopefully, if they did go to visit him, they won’t be caught. Hagrid could get into even more trouble.”

“Not to mention Sirius Black is still on the loose, and no one is supposed to be wandering the grounds in the evening,” Neville added.

Ginny caught Anna’s gaze, and they looked at each other guiltily for a moment.

Seamus came over to propose a game of exploding snap, and Neville accepted. Ginny and Anna watched the game, while surreptitiously glancing around the room periodically for their missing friends.

“Will you be going to the Quidditch World Cup this August?” Seamus asked. “It’s being held right here in Britain, and I like Ireland’s chances!”

Anna smiled. “It would be fun to see a professional Quidditch match of that caliber.” She turned to Neville. “We should ask Aunt Augusta if we can go.”

Her cousin grinned at her as he shook his head slightly. “You ask Gran,” he declared. “She’ll say ‘yes’ to you far more easily than if I ask her.”

“All right then,” Anna agreed. She gazed over at her friend. “Do you think you’ll be going, Ginny?”

Ginny thought for a moment and bit the side of her bottom lip. “Dad can usually get tickets for things through his Ministry contacts, but I don’t really know for sure. It would be wonderful to go to the World Cup,” she said longingly.

Anna reached over to squeeze her hand. “Hopefully, we’ll all be able to go.”

Seamus gave his opinion about the strengths of the Irish team and the weaknesses of every other professional team. Dean walked over to listen, although he had little to contribute as his knowledge of Quidditch was rather limited. Lavender and Parvati soon joined them, but they had no interest in sports and wanted to talk about the latest trends in dress robes.

Anna lost interest quickly and stood up. “I’m exhausted. I think I’ll turn in,” she whispered to Neville as she kissed him on the cheek. “Good night, everyone,” she said to their little group.

“Oi,” Seamus exclaimed. “I’d like a ‘good night’ kiss as well.”

Anna raised her eyebrows in surprise as she looked from Neville to Seamus. Then, she smirked. “Good night, Seamus,” she murmured as she kissed his cheek.

Seamus grinned broadly, as Anna walked away towards the dorms.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning at breakfast, Neville tried to hide his shock at learning that Remus Lupin was a werewolf. The news spread rapidly from Professor Snape to the Slytherin House and to the other students at Hogwarts. When his wide eyes met Anna’s, he realized he had missed something she already knew and accepted.

“What will happen now?” Ginny asked nervously.

Anna sighed. “He will probably have to resign his teaching position. Wizarding Britain is not ready for a werewolf teacher at Hogwarts.”

Neville blinked. “Does Gran know?” he whispered in her ear.

“Of course, she knows,” Anna replied. “He always took his days off during the full moon. It wasn’t really difficult to figure out.”

“Do you think he will still be our tutor this summer?” he asked quietly.

“Yes,” she confirmed. “He is only ever dangerous one night a month. The prejudice against werewolves is outrageous. I’m quite sure he will still be our tutor, and I’m going to confirm it right now.”

Anna rose swiftly and walked out of the Great Hall, heading directly towards Professor Lupin’s quarters. Neville got up and hurried after her. She climbed the stairs rapidly, and her cousin was panting slightly by the time he caught up with her in Remus’s office.

Neville stopped just inside the open doorway, behind Anna. “Remus,” she said.

He turned to them. “Hello, Anna, Neville.” He looked far more haggard than they were used to seeing him.

“We heard the news that you’re a werewolf,” Anna remarked sardonically.

Remus chuckled and met her eyes. “I’m sure you were shocked.”

Anna smirked, and then became serious. “You will still be our tutor, won’t you? I need you Remus, more than even you know. Please tell me you will be at Longbottom Manor this summer.”

He studied her seriously for a moment. He had never known her to sound so desperate. “Are you sure you both still want me to be your tutor?” he inquired, looking from Anna to Neville.

“Yes,” Neville said, as Anna nodded and smiled.

Remus exhaled slowly. “Then I will see you both at the manor in a little over a week.”

Anna hugged him and tried to blink back the tears in her eyes. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“Perhaps you’ll confide in me more soon,” he murmured.

“I’ll try,” she promised.

He shook hands with Neville and clapped him on the shoulder. “I need to pack and leave in a few hours, but I will see you both at the manor. Enjoy your last week here.”

“We will,” Neville replied.

They soon parted, leaving Remus to pack his belongings before the owls from disgruntled parents could arrive at Hogwarts.

*************************************************************************************

The final exam results came out, and Neville was relieved to see he had passed every subject, even potions. It was no surprise at all that Anna had passed all her tests. As he spoke with his roommates and friends in Gryffindor tower, it soon became apparent that everyone had done well. They had also heard the good news from Hagrid that Buckbeak had somehow escaped just prior to his scheduled execution.

Spirits were high as students packed their belongings and discussed plans for the summer holidays. The Hogwarts Express would be leaving soon to take them to King’s Cross station. He checked his trunk three times to be sure he had all of his belongings and put his toad, Trevor, in a cage for the journey home. Anna was stroking her owl, Mista, as he walked down to the common room.

“Are you all packed and ready to go?” he asked his cousin.

Anna nodded. “Yes, I’m just trying to decide if Mista would be happier in her cage with us, or flying and meeting us at home.”

Neville grinned. “Flying, definitely. She hates her cage,” he observed.

“You’re right,” Anna sighed, as she walked her owl over to an open window and talked to it briefly before letting it fly out of view.

Soon they were all loaded on the Hogwarts Express. As the train pulled out of the station, Hermione announced that she was dropping Muggle Studies.

“I thought you liked that class,” Ginny asked in confusion.

Hermione nodded and shrugged. “I do like it, but I was far too busy trying to keep up with my classes this year. Now that I’ve dropped Divination and Muggle Studies, I’ll be able to keep up better next year.”

“So, we’ll be taking the exact same classes then,” Anna smiled.

The girls talked about electives and their plans for the summer, while Ron and Neville got in one last game of wizard’s chess. Harry was watching the game, curious to see if someone could finally beat Ron, when he saw an owl outside the window. Opening it quickly, he grabbed the small owl and removed the attached letter. A wide grin spread across his face as he scanned the note.

Harry glanced around at his friends and took an audible breath. “There’s something I’d like to tell you all,” he said looking at Neville, Ginny, and Anna. “You know about the danger from Sirius Black, right?”

Hermione was peering at Harry with wide eyes.

Her gaze seemed to sober him slightly. “Look, I can’t tell you too much, and I’m sorry for that, but I want you to know that Sirius Black is innocent of all the charges against him. Unfortunately, only a few people are aware of it, and we can’t actually prove it right now.”

Ginny stared from Harry to Ron and back again. “Well, that’s great,” she said slowly. “Does Professor Dumbledore know?”

“Yes,” Harry quickly responded. “He knows. The brilliant bit is that Sirius is on the run and safe right now.”

Neville’s eyes went from Harry’s excited face to the letter in his hand. “Is that a note from Sirius Black?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah, and he’s my godfather. So, we’ll be trying to keep in touch now. And, look at this!” Harry held up a piece of parchment with a single sentence on it. The note gave Harry formal permission from his godfather to visit Hogsmeade on scheduled weekends.

Neville grinned. “That’s brilliant, mate.”

“Oh, and Ron,” Harry continued. “Sirius says the owl is a gift for you.”

“For me,” Ron asked in astonishment looking at the owl carefully.

Ginny smiled as she reached over to stroke the small owl’s soft chest feathers. “What will you name it Ron?”

“Don’t know?” he murmured still looking at the owl in shock.

“How about Pigwidgeon?” Ginny suggested.

“That’s a very creative idea,” Hermione responded diplomatically.

“Do you all think you’ll be going to the World Cup in August?” Neville asked.

They spent the remainder of the trip in a spirited discussion about Quidditch, and the teams that would be participating in the World Cup. As the train pulled into the station at King’s Cross, they gathered their belongings and said their goodbyes, eager to begin the summer holiday.

Back to index


Chapter 12: Chapter 12 Party at the Manor

Chapter 12
Party at the Manor

Ginny woke up shaking and breathing hard. She had been dreaming about the Chamber again. At least she hadn’t been screaming this time. She looked around her childhood bedroom and felt relieved to be safely in her own bed at the Burrow -- her Holyhead Harpies poster on one wall and a poster of the Weird Sisters on another. Glancing out the window, she noted the position of the sun and realized she had slept in. With a sigh, she got up and pulled on her dressing gown as she made her way down the stairs.

Molly was in the kitchen cooking breakfast when her only daughter came into the room. One quick glance at her was enough for Molly to know that she had not had a good night’s sleep. The nightmares seemed to be far less frequent this summer than they were the previous summer, and for that she was grateful. Molly had felt so helpless when she learned about the diary that had possessed her youngest child for almost an entire school year. She had also felt angry with herself for not knowing that something was terribly wrong and angry with her many sons at Hogwarts for not managing to protect their sister during her first year at school.

“Morning, dear,” Molly said with forced brightness. “Have some breakfast.” She put a plate with eggs and sausages on the table in front of her daughter.

“Morning, Mum,” Ginny murmured as she poured herself a cup of tea. Her brothers, except for Percy, were at the table eating quietly. Since her dad and Percy were both missing from the table, she assumed they had already left for the Ministry. Percy had a position in the Department of International Magical Cooperation. His office was not too far from her father’s in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office.

Just as Ginny was about to take her first bite of egg, a large owl flew through the open window. “Mista,” she said with a smile, removing the letter and offering the owl some sausage.

“Whose owl is that?” George asked, as he put down his fork. “She looks familiar.”

“She’s Anna’s owl with a letter from Longbottom Manor,” Ginny replied as she scanned the letter quickly. “Mum, it’s an invitation to come for a birthday dinner party for Neville on July 30th. It’s for Ron and I,” she said excitedly scooting closer to Ron to show him the invitation. “Can we go, please?” she asked, as Ron took the invitation from her hand, looking surprised, but pleased.

Molly paused a moment thinking quickly. “Yes, I’m sure that will be okay. What time are you supposed to arrive?”

“The dinner party is from 5 until 9,” Ron answered. “Blimey, what kind of a dinner lasts four hours?”

Ginny sighed and pressed her lips together.

Fortunately, it was her mother who answered. “They are probably planning games or activities to be followed by dinner with time afterwards for opening presents and so forth,” Molly responded. “Do you have any ideas for a present for Neville?”

“Uh…” Ron thought. “Well, he seems to like plants.”

“His favorite subject is Herbology,” Ginny agreed. “We could get him an interesting plant or perhaps a book about plants.”

Molly nodded and smiled. “I’ll come up with something. Go ahead and write back that you’ll be able to attend.”

“Thanks, Mum,” Ginny exclaimed happily as she ate her breakfast rapidly so she could write a letter to Anna.

*************************************************************************************

The day of Neville’s birthday party arrived quickly. Ginny wore a pretty blue skirt and a white blouse. Ron was in blue jeans, but at least their mum had forced him into a collared shirt. They had a potted plant which Mum had assured them was rather unusual and likely to be of interest to a keen student of Herbology, as well as a book about the healing properties of various plants.

At the scheduled time they took the Floo Network to Longbottom Manor to find Anna and Neville both waiting for them.

“Happy birthday!” Ginny exclaimed as she exited the hearth with a wrapped present in her hands.

“Thanks, Ginny!” Neville said. “I’m so glad you and Ron could come.” He gave her a quick hug.

“Where do you want the presents?” Ginny asked as she embraced Anna.

“Over here on the table will be fine,” Anna answered. “I’m so happy you were both able to come. Is that a new skirt? I don’t think I’ve seen you wear it before.”

Ginny smiled and twirled around once making the blue skirt swirl out around her. “Charlie sent it last month. He wrote that he saw it in a shop and thought of me.”

“He has excellent taste,” Anna observed. “That color really suits you.”

Ron stepped carefully out of the hearth. “Happy birthday, mate,” he said, as he handed over the potted plant in his hands. “I’m not exactly sure what this is, but Mum was certain you’d like it.”

“Thanks, Ron! This will make a great addition to the greenhouse,” Neville said, as he accepted the plant and carefully placed it on the table.

The floo flared again, and Seamus exited holding a blue paper bag. “Happy birthday, Nev,” he exclaimed as he glanced around the room. “Great house!”

“Thanks, Seamus. I’m glad you could make it,” Neville responded with a grin while accepting the bag.

“It’s just a bunch of muggle sweets,” Seamus explained. “I thought you might like to try them.”

“Wow, that’s great!” Neville said as he started poking around the contents of the bag. Ron glanced over curiously as well.

“I see we have two lovely ladies joining us for the evening,” Seamus remarked with a cocky grin. “Anyone else expected, or is our party complete?”

“No one else is coming,” Anna answered him. “We invited Harry and Dean as well, but Dean couldn’t make it, and Harry wrote that he wouldn’t be allowed to come.” She turned and looked at her cousin. “We should probably take everyone to meet Aunt Augusta.”

Neville put the bag of muggle sweets on the table and took his guests into the garden room to introduce them to his grandmother. Then, he and Anna took them on a brief tour of the inside of the manor before taking them out to the greenhouse and for a walk around the grounds.

“So, how has your summer been going?” Ginny asked Anna as they walked.

“It’s been wonderful,” Anna sighed. “I love how quiet and peaceful it is here. We’ve been busy, of course, with lessons, but we have a lot of time for walking, flying, and swimming as well.”

Ron was shaking his head in disbelief. “It’s the summer holiday. Why are you busy with lessons?”

Neville chuckled at Ron’s expression. “You may have noticed I didn’t do that well in school my first two years. I mean I did better last year, but I still have some catching up to do, and lessons with Remus are fun and really useful. Also, it’s not like being at school. We only work a few hours a day.”

“Well, I admit Professor Lupin was definitely the best Defense teacher we ever had,” Ron said. He turned to Anna. “You seemed to do really well in school last year though. What are you studying?”

“Mostly Astronomy and Arithmancy,” she replied. “I really enjoy Arithmancy, but it’s difficult. Hermione seemed to pick it all up rather easily last year, but it was a struggle for me. I definitely want to make sure I completely understand all of last year’s material before we go back to school.” She sighed quietly. “And, my grandmother never taught me any Astronomy at all, so I’ve been trying to learn three years of material in the past year and a half.”

Neville put an arm around her, pulling her in for a slight hug. “You’re doing great,” he assured her. “Remus is really proud of how much you’ve learned.”

Anna smiled at him.

“You know, Anna,” Seamus began with a cocky grin. “I’m quite brilliant at Astronomy, and I’d be happy to spend some time with you in the Astronomy tower this year teaching you all about the constellations.” He quirked his brow suggestively at her, causing her to blush.

“Uh, thanks, Seamus,” she replied. “I’ll keep that in mind. So, Ginny, what have you been up to this summer?”

Ginny told Anna all about life at the Burrow, which in many ways seemed rather similar to life at the Manor. She and Ron had been swimming, flying, and doing various chores around the house most of the summer. Ginny had also read a variety of books and had been studying through her prior notes to make sure she was ready for the coming school year. Ron seemed slightly startled to hear that his sister had also been doing lessons on her own without him even realizing.

Soon they were back at the house making their way into the dining room for Neville’s birthday dinner. The dining room was a large, elegant room with pale green walls, heavy red velvet curtains adorning the windows, and a gold chandelier that hung over the rectangular table. The table had been set for seven, but could probably seat twice as many.

Remus was there and greeted all of his former students while escorting Augusta to her seat at the table. Neville was helping Anna push in her chair at the table, and Seamus, who was obviously paying attention, quickly moved to Ginny to help her. The dinner itself was more formal than anything Ginny had every experienced previously. She watched Anna carefully to see what she should be doing and copied her manners as closely as possible. The food was delicious, and Ginny was surprised to realize they all had a glass of wine on the table in front of them. Since Anna was casually drinking from her glass as she talked and ate, Ginny took a cautious sip of her wine as well. It was mildly sweet and cold, and tasted rather good.

Seamus was telling everyone a story about accidentally setting fire to his mother’s compost heap at the corner of their property earlier in the week. Everyone was laughing, including Neville’s grandmother, who Ginny thought of as a slightly younger and much friendlier version of her Great Auntie Muriel.

“Did you manage to put out the fire?” Remus asked once his laughter had subsided well enough to be able to form a coherent question.

Seamus nodded. “I got the fire out just as Mam came to investigate,” he explained. “She was a bit put out with me. I’ve been working in the field all day every day since as punishment.”

“Do you often accidentally set things on fire, Seamus?” Augusta asked.

“Yes, ma’am,” he answered. “Me Mam said my first bit of magic as a toddler was setting a fire in the kitchen hearth. She often says she’s not sure if I was hungry or just cold at the time, but she definitely knew I was magical at that point.”

By the end of the meal, Ginny felt pleasantly full from the delicious food and rather warm from the wine. They had sung Happy Birthday to Neville and eaten cake while he opened his presents. The youngsters were then sent to the garden room and reminded that the guests would have to start flooing home in a little over an hour.

“So, what would you all like to do?” Neville asked, as Anna put on some music.

“We should play truth or dare,” Seamus suggested. Seeing Ron’s blank look, he explained the basic rules of the game.

The five friends glanced around at each other cautiously before agreeing to play.

“So,” Neville began as they all moved to sit in a circle on the floor. “Who starts the game?”

“Let’s keep it simple,” Seamus said. “Ginny is youngest, so she starts first. She can pick anyone she wants. Whoever she picks goes next, and so on.”

Ginny nodded. “Okay, I’ll ask Neville since it’s his birthday. Truth or dare?”

Neville thought for a moment. “Truth.”

“What’s your favorite activity you have done this summer that did not involve Herbology?” she asked.

“Dancing lessons,” Neville replied with a smile.

“Dancing lessons?” Ron repeated in horror. “Why would that be your favorite activity?”

“Well, it’s fun!” Neville exclaimed. “Have you ever really danced with a girl?”

“No, of course not,” Ron sputtered.

“Perhaps you should,” he said with a laugh before standing up and bowing slightly to Anna. “May I have this dance?”

Anna rose with a giggle and went into Neville’s arms. He began twirling her rather elegantly around the room.

“How many lessons have you had?” Ginny asked in amazement.

“Three lessons per week for the past four weeks with Madam Jones,” Anna answered. “We only have two more weeks of lessons, but I’m rather pleased with our progress.”

Neville spun her around as their little impromptu dance came to an end.

“That was really impressive,” Seamus sounded rather stunned.

“Thanks,” Neville said. “So, it’s my turn, right?”

Seamus nodded.

“Alright, truth or dare Ron?” Neville asked.

“Uh, truth,” Ron decided.

“Okay,” Neville said, thinking for a moment. “You have five older brothers. Pick one of them, it doesn’t matter which one, and tell me why you admire him.”

Ron nodded thinking for a moment. “Well, I’ll pick Charlie. I admire him because he was a Seeker for the Gryffindor Quidditch team, he was made team captain, and now he works with dragons in Romania.”

Neville nodded and smiled. “He sounds like a cool brother. Have you ever wanted to play for Gryffindor?”

“Yeah, I mean maybe,” Ron replied. “If a position was available, I might try out for it.” He scratched his head for a moment. “So, let’s see, Seamus, truth or dare?”

“Truth,” he said. “Since that’s what everyone seems to be choosing.”

“What’s it like growing up with a muggle dad?” Ron asked.

Seamus rubbed his chin as he thought about his answer. “Probably a lot like growing up with a wizard dad, I think. He works hard, loves me Mam, takes care of us. I can go to him to talk about anything. Since he’s been married to me Mam for so long, he knows a lot about magic. He’s kind of a tough guy, you know. It takes a lot to rattle him, which is good since I do a lot of stuff I probably shouldn’t, magic and otherwise.” He laughed and shook his head slightly. “Alright, my turn then, truth or dare Anna?”

“Truth,” she responded cautiously.

“Who do you fancy at Hogwarts?” Seamus asked.

“No one,” she replied.

Seamus made a face. “If you had to pick someone you fancy at Hogwarts, who would you pick?”

Anna shrugged. “I really don’t fancy anyone at Hogwarts. If I had to pick, I suppose I would choose one of the seventh years.”

“Why a seventh year?” Seamus asked. “Do you even know any of them?”

“No, I don’t,” she said calmly. “Since you seem to want me to pick someone, I am telling you that I would most likely pick one of the seventh years. My grandmother and mother both married older men and their marriages were happy, so I think someone older is probably the way to go.” Anna smiled as she looked at Ginny. “Truth or dare?”

“Dare,” Ginny decided.

“Okay,” she said. “I dare you to dance with someone. Pick a partner!”

Ginny giggled. “Neville, will you dance with me?” she asked.

Neville stood up with a grin and pulled Ginny to her feet. He turned up the music and began to twirl her around the room.

“Anna, may I have this dance?” Seamus requested with exaggerated formality as he bowed slightly.

She laughed and went into his arms. The two couples danced around the room with Ron looking at them with a slightly confused expression on his face.

Remus entered the room shortly thereafter to tell them it was about time to end the party. With the normal “thank you for comings” and “goodbyes” the party ended.

Ginny stepped out of the floo at the Burrow with a wistful grin on her face. Her parents both smiled at her and asked about the party. She was just starting to tell them all about it when Ron arrived home.

Arthur looked at his son thoughtfully. “What did you think of the party, Ron?”

“Oh, it was great!” Ron replied. “Just, I don’t know, kind of grown up, I guess.”

“What do you mean by grown up?” Arthur asked.

“Well,” Ron said as he furrowed his brow. “The house is really nice and formal you know. It’s kind of elegant, even more than Great Auntie Muriel’s house. Neville’s Gran is sort of like her, but, well, friendlier, I guess,” he murmured with a quick glance at his mother, who was fortunately not listening to him, since she was focused on Ginny.

“They served wine at dinner,” Ron continued quietly. “At the end of the party, they had music on, and Ginny was dancing with Neville, and Anna was dancing with Seamus.”

Arthur nodded thoughtfully at his youngest son. “Would you have liked to dance as well, or were you fine just watching?”

“Watching was fine,” he replied. “I mean, I never really thought much about dancing with a girl. It was a good party, and I’m glad I went. It was just different, you know.”

“Yes,” his dad said quietly. “You’ve gotten to the age where birthday parties start to change. It’s not just cake and presents and the parents supervising party games anymore. It’s okay if you sit back and watch for a bit.”

Ron nodded. “Yeah, I think I’ll go on to bed now. Night, Dad.”

“Night, son,” Arthur said, a smile on his face. His wife had taken Ginny upstairs to her room. He knew they’d be talking for a while.

Back to index


Chapter 13: Chapter 13 The Burrow

Author's Notes: The italicized section about halfway through the story is an intimate dream.


Chapter 13
The Burrow

Augusta Longbottom was sipping her tea and reading a letter when her grandson and great niece walked into the dining room for breakfast.

“Morning, Gran,” Neville said while filling a plate with eggs, bacon, and sausage at the sideboard.

“Morning, Aunt Augusta,” murmured Anna, as she tried unsuccessfully to stifle a yawn. She and Remus had been outside studying and charting the stars until well past midnight the previous night. Her knowledge of Astronomy was improving, but it was slow going.

“Good morning, children,” she greeted them. “I have a letter here from Molly Weasley. You are both invited to attend the Quidditch World Cup with the Weasley family. Arthur is taking all of his own children, as well as Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and the two of you if you want to go. Merlin help the man!”

Remus walked in chuckling softly. “Having spent quite a bit of time with his twin sons, Fred and George, I feel confident in saying Arthur probably feels capable of handling anything.”

“Well,” Augusta said sternly. “I’m sure that he can handle anything, but I expect both of you to be on your best behavior. Molly wants you to arrive at the Burrow on Sunday evening in time for dinner at seven. You’ll head to the World Cup early the next morning and stay in tents at the campgrounds, so make sure you pack appropriately.”

Both children grinned and nodded with excitement. Anna had asked at the beginning of the summer if they could attend the Quidditch World Cup in August. Augusta had been on the verge of agreeing when Remus had quietly pointed out that the night before was a full moon, and he would likely not be capable of taking them.

Augusta did not want to attend the game but had assured them that she would look into other options and let them know if something worked out. Neither Neville nor Anna had really thought they would be able to go and were thrilled by the sudden invitation.

“I’ll write to Molly to accept the invitation after breakfast,” Augusta announced. “What lessons are you planning for the day?”

“I thought this morning we would practice a tricky little concoction called the Wit-Sharpening Potion. I know you’ll be expected to learn it this school year,” Remus said to the children. “Have you ever made it Anna?” He had learned from past experience that she had made several advanced potions under the guidance of her grandmother, so he generally asked if she was familiar with a potion before they began.

“No, I haven’t,” she replied. “It will be good to practice brewing it here at home before we have to make it at school.”

Neville nodded. He had learned that he was not as hopeless at preparing potions as he had thought during his first two years at Hogwarts. Practicing potions at home with Anna and Remus had boosted his confidence a great deal. He had also been lucky in that Professor Snape had allowed he and Anna to be partners all of last school year. He was not sure he would be that lucky in the coming year.

“This afternoon, I thought Neville and I could practice Transfiguration spells while Anna works on completing the Astronomy lesson we began last night,” Remus continued. “If you both finish your work quickly enough, you should have time for flying or swimming before dinner.”

The children nodded and went to collect the books and supplies they would need for the day.

*************************************************************************************

On Sunday evening shortly before seven o’clock, Augusta floo-called the Burrow to let Molly know she was about to send the children over.

Leaning back from the hearth, she looked up at her grandson. “Molly sounded a bit stressed. Do be sure to behave perfectly while at the Burrow.”

“Don’t worry, Gran. We’ll be fine, I promise,” Neville said seriously.

Augusta smiled at him. He had matured a great deal over the past year. She was seeing more and more of his father in him lately. It pleased her more than she cared to admit. “Keep a close eye on Anna while you’re at the World Cup. There will be a lot of foreign wizards about the place,” she warned.

“I’ll stay with her and watch over her,” he grinned. “Bye, Gran.” Neville gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and went through the Floo.

Augusta turned to Anna. “Do you have everything you need, dear?” she inquired.

“Yes, we both packed enough clothing for five days, just in case,” Anna assured her. “I’m sure we’ll be fine.”

“Well, of course, you will,” Augusta stated firmly. “Don’t lose sight of each other in those crowds!”

“We won’t, Aunt Augusta,” she said quietly. “Thank you for letting us go.” She kissed her aunt’s cheek and stepped into the hearth. With a flash of green flames, she left the Manor and entered the Burrow.

Neville was standing nearby talking to Ginny, who looked happy and relaxed. She quickly introduced them to her mum and grabbed their bags, setting them on a chair in the corner.

“Everyone else is outside. We’re about to have dinner. Come on,” Ginny said, leading them out of the kitchen and around to the other side of the house. Two young men, who were likely Ginny’s older brothers judging by their red hair, were smoothing a large table cloth and chatting good naturedly with one another. Hermione, Harry, and Ron were just beginning to set the table, but stopped to greet them.

Ginny’s older brothers wandered over, and she introduced Bill and Charlie, just as Molly called for everyone to come into the kitchen and grab some food to bring out to the table.

Soon everyone was sitting at the large table and piling food on their plates. Anna was sitting between Ginny and Neville, listening to the many loud friendly conversations happening simultaneously around her. It was almost like being at the Gryffindor table at Hogwarts. The food was delicious, particularly the chicken and ham pie, but Anna ate lightly as she concentrated on trying to listen to as many people as possible.

“Bit overwhelming, isn’t it?” Neville murmured quietly beside her.

She nodded and grinned. “Yes, but it’s fun.”

He chuckled and focused his attention on Fred, George, and Charlie who were talking about Ireland’s chances versus those of Bulgaria. Once everyone had finished their strawberry ice cream, Molly told them all to get ready for bed, since they would have an early morning. Anna and Hermione were staying with Ginny in her room, so they all changed there, talking excitedly about the World Cup, as they prepared for bed.

“I need to take this up to Neville,” Anna said holding up his toiletry bag. “I must have grabbed it by mistake. I hope I have mine,” she murmured as she rifled through her bag. Ginny walked over to help her look, just as Anna pulled it out laughing. “I guess I grabbed both. Back in a minute.”

She was halfway up to Ron’s room when she ran into Harry on the landing. “We hardly had a chance to say hello earlier. How are you?”

“Good thanks,” he said with a smile. “Much better now that I’m here. I meant to thank you for the shortbread you and Neville sent a few weeks back.”

“Not a problem,” Anna grinned. “Ginny mentioned your relatives were all on some strict health food diet and that you might like some snacks. Are you heading upstairs or down?”

“Down. I thought I’d grab a glass of water,” Harry explained.

“Well, good night, then.”

“Night, Anna.”

She continued up the stairs to Ron’s room which was on the top floor of the Burrow, just under the attic, and knocked on the door.

Neville appeared with a frustrated look on his face which quickly changed to a grin when he saw his toiletry bag in her hand. “Thanks, Anna,” he sighed. “I knew I’d packed it and couldn’t imagine why it wasn’t in my bag.”

“Sorry, Neville,” she said. “I must have grabbed it by mistake when I was packing.”

“Well, at least I’ve got it now,” he gave her a quick hug good night, and she kissed his cheek. “See you in the morning.”

Anna held the railing as she went down the stairs. She could be clumsy at the best of times, and she did not want to fall on one of the many staircases at the Burrow. As she passed an open bedroom door, a voice called out. “You all set Anna?” She looked up to see Bill and Charlie in the room and smiled.

“Yes, thanks. Good night.”

“Night,” they both called.

When Anna returned to Ginny’s bedroom, she and Hermione were both already in bed talking quietly, and she hurried to join them. The girls soon drifted off to sleep.

*************************************************************************************

His thumb caressed her cheek as he wrapped his other arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. He stared into her eyes for a moment before lowering his lips to hers, kissing her slowly and gently, waiting for her to respond. A soft moan was all the encouragement he needed to deepen the kiss, pressing his lips more firmly against hers, opening his mouth and using his tongue to lightly push into her mouth. His hand slipped under her shirt feeling the soft skin on her back, caressing up and down her spine as he continued to kiss her with increasing passion and intensity.

He broke the kiss and put both hands on her waist, slowly lifting her shirt, watching the expression on her face, as he pulled the shirt up and then over her head. He let it fall to the floor and took a moment to quickly yank off his own shirt. His lips captured hers again in a desperate kiss as his hands roamed freely over her back. Fingers found the clasp of her bra and unhooked it. Slowly removing her bra, he tentatively moved his hands to her chest and cupped her breasts. A louder moan escaped her lips as he squeezed her breasts gently, enjoying the feel of the soft round globes in his hands.

He kissed his way down her neck towards a breast and caught the nipple in his mouth, sucking carefully and enjoying the whimpering noise she made in her throat. Moving from one breast to the other, he continued to stimulate her with his mouth while he ran a hand up and down her spine.

Unable to resist any longer, he met her lips again with his own, kissing her hard as he unfastened her skirt and pushed it down her hips. The skirt fell to the floor leaving her standing in her knickers before him. His eyes sought hers as he undid his pants and pushed them off.

Desire overwhelmed him, and he picked her up in one fluid motion, taking the few steps to the bed before lowering her to the middle of it. He covered her with his body, bracing himself on his forearms so that his full weight was not upon her. His kisses became more urgent as she made little moaning and whimpering sounds beneath him.

Quickly shifting to a kneeling position beside her, he pulled her knickers slowly down her body, his hands caressing the soft skin of her hips and thighs as he removed them. The sight of her naked body on the bed made him groan in anticipation and need. He laid on his side next to her taking off his boxers as he gazed into her eyes.

Moving a hand carefully to her soft, warm belly, he caught her lips in a kiss. His hand slid down to the juncture of her thighs and his fingers probed carefully. She whimpered into his lips, and he ended the kiss recognizing her need to breathe deeply. She was wet and moving her hips restlessly.

He shifted on top of her, using his hand to guide himself into her wet heat. Pleasure pulsed through his entire body as he moved harder and faster in a rhythm as old as time.

Charlie sat up gasping and looked frantically around him. She wasn’t in his bed. Relief washed over him as he sank back against the mattress. Then, he groaned and sat up again as he reached for his wand.

“Bloody hell!” he muttered. He used a cleaning charm to clean himself and the pajama pants he was wearing. Standing up, he yanked them off and quietly pulled on underwear, shorts, and socks. He crept out of the room with his shoes in one hand, being careful to step over the creaky stair as he made his way down to the front door.

Quietly closing the door behind him, Charlie walked over to a bench in the garden and sat down to put on his shoes. His mind was racing and his heart was pounding so hard in his chest, it actually hurt. Getting up, he started running, hoping to escape the thoughts whirling in his head.

*************************************************************************************

Bill sat up wondering what had awoken him and glanced out the window just in time to see his brother sprint out of sight. Looking at the clock, he realized it was well past midnight. With a sigh, he slowly got up, found his shoes, and made his way down the stairs.

Once outside the house, he glanced around and moved quietly to a large tree about a hundred yards from the front door. Conjuring a blanket, he settled himself behind the tree where he was out of sight of the house, but not likely to miss his brother, whenever he managed to make his way back.

Bill wondered what had set him off. Ever since Charlie was a kid, if something really upset him, he ran. Of course, Charlie started jogging regularly years ago as a stress reducer and form of exercise, but it didn’t take Merlin to realize this was not a casual evening jog.

Charlie finally came into view an hour later, walking towards the house. He was sweaty and breathing hard.

Bill sighed and sat up on the blanket. “What are you upset about, Charlie?”

“Damn,” he swore softly, rubbing one hand over his sweaty brow. “I thought I left the house quietly.”

“You did,” his brother replied. “I just have good hearing. What’s wrong?”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Charlie said shortly. “I think I’ll go for a swim in the pond.” He turned and started to walk away.

Bill got up quickly and caught up with him. “Hey, what are you afraid of?”

“Besides myself?” he ground out, as he continued walking.

Bill stared at him quietly for a moment. “You’re punishing yourself for something. What did you do?”

“I didn’t actually do anything,” Charlie growled, clenching his hands into fists at his sides.

“Then, what’s the problem?”

He groaned in frustration. “It was a dream, okay?”

Bill grabbed his arm to make him stop walking. “You’re not a seer. What kind of a dream would upset you like this?”

“I don’t want to talk about it!”

“Why the hell not! I’m your older brother. You can tell me anything. You’ve always been able to tell me anything.”

“It was a sex dream, alright! And, I’m ashamed, and I don’t want you to be ashamed of me. So, let’s just drop it,” Charlie shouted.

Bill looked at his brother in shock and then took a slow, deep breath. “Every man has sex dreams. Hell, I think most women have them too, at least occasionally. It’s normal, Charlie.”

“No, Bill,” Charlie said quietly. His voice was tortured. “It’s not normal. I dreamt I shagged a girl.”

His brother watched him, shaking his head slowly. “I’m telling you the truth. Sex dreams are normal. There’s nothing wrong with it. I mean you weren’t hurting her or anything, were you?”

“Of course not,” he snapped. “You’re missing the point. I dreamt I shagged a girl, Bill. A girl!” Charlie gestured wildly towards the Burrow which was just visible through a gap in the trees.

Bill’s eyes widened as realization dawned. He pulled his wand, and Charlie waited for a spell to hit him, but instead his brother was running diagnostics.

“I don’t think I’ve been hit with a spell or cursed in any way, and I definitely don’t believe I drank a love potion, if that’s what you’re thinking,” he said quietly.

Bill lowered his wand. “Which one?” he asked.

“Anna.”

He sighed. “Have you had dreams about shagging girls that age before?”

“Not since I was a boy that age,” Charlie said, running a hand through his hair. “Every woman I’ve ever been with has been of age. Most have been older than me. I don’t understand why I had a dream like that about her. It seemed so real, Bill.”

“Maybe it’s just been too long. I mean, when was the last time you were with a woman?” he asked.

Charlie laughed bitterly. “About two weeks ago when I shagged my girlfriend Katerina three times in the same night. I’m not exactly deprived.”

Bill exhaled loudly. “Look, maybe it wasn’t even really about sex.”

His brother raised an eyebrow staring at him in disbelief.

“Hear me out,” Bill sighed in exasperation. “Ginny’s been writing me a lot more letters in the past year than she did the year before. She mentions Anna every time, talking about playing dress up together and fixing each other’s hair, and other girl stuff. She’s written about Anna helping her with homework and spells and bringing her back chocolate from Hogsmeade.” He paused and glanced at his brother. “Have you been getting letters like that from Ginny?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded cautiously. “So…”

“So, I’ve been feeling pretty curious to meet Anna. I mean she’s become a good friend of Ginny’s, and we're all being careful to pay more attention to Ginny now after what happened her first year,” Bill continued. “I mean, it was a weird dream, definitely, and very inappropriate, but maybe it didn’t really mean anything. Maybe you were just as interested in seeing and meeting Anna as I was, and she seems like a sweet, friendly girl. I’m grateful she’s Ginny’s friend and you probably feel the same way. Maybe for whatever odd reason, it sparked off a sex dream.”

Charlie stared at his brother hopefully, trying to process what he was saying. Could it be that simple and that innocent?

“Look, I’m about to confess something I’ve never said out loud, and you’d better never repeat it,” Bill said threateningly. “At Hogwarts, I once had a wet dream about Madam Hooch.”

Charlie chuckled. He couldn’t help it. “Seriously,” he inquired.

“Seriously,” his brother admitted. “When I woke up, I was pretty freaked out, and then I realized that I wasn’t tempted in the least to actually do that with her, so it was just a dream.” Bill shrugged and faced his brother. “Do you want to go into the Burrow right now and seduce Anna? Are you tempted to try to get her into your bed tonight?”

“No,” Charlie answered honestly. “Of course not.”

“Exactly,” Bill said. “Just a dream. Now let’s go for a quick swim and get back to the Burrow.”

Charlie nodded and smiled. “Thanks, big brother.”

“Not a problem.”

Back to index


Chapter 14: Chapter 14 Quidditch World Cup

Chapter 14
Quidditch World Cup

Ginny blinked sleepily several times before managing to focus on her mother’s words. They had to get up, dress, and come down to breakfast. She glanced out the window and saw that it was still quite dark outside. With a groan, she rolled out of bed and reached for the clothes she had left out the previous night. Hermione was also fumbling with her clothes, and Anna was sitting in a daze half naked on the bed, trying to fold her pajamas neatly. None of them were making much progress getting ready.

When her mum came back in to check on them a short time later, she sighed in exasperation. “Come on girls. The boys are all downstairs. Get dressed and come down now!”

They managed to make it to the kitchen table a few minutes later and sat down drowsily. Neville smiled at the three girls and pushed a plate of toast in front of each of them.

“Thanks, Neville,” Ginny murmured. “Why are we up so early again?”

“We have to walk to the Portkey that will take us to the Quidditch World Cup,” her dad reminded her with a smirk. “It’s just on the other side of the village.”

Ginny nodded and took a bite of toast.

Soon, they left the Burrow and plodded towards the village -- all except her three oldest brothers. Bill, Charlie, and Percy all had their Apparition Licenses, so they would be meeting them later. The walk was tiring, particularly since it was so early in the morning. They went in pairs. Dad and Harry were in the front, talking quietly about the complex preparations for organizing the Quidditch match to take place on British soil. The trek to the village wasn’t too horrible, but past that they had to climb a small hill to finally reach their destination. Dad was panting slightly, and Hermione was holding a stitch in her side by the time they made it to the top.

“Morning, Arthur!” a voice called out to them.

“Hello, Amos! Good to see you.” Dad shook hands with the other man, and then quickly introduced Mr. Diggory, who was a ministry employee in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. They all recognized his son, Cedric. He was the Seeker for the Hufflepuff Quidditch team at Hogwarts.

“Gather round everyone!” Dad looked at his watch as he walked towards the Portkey. “I believe it’s almost time.”

The Portkey was an old boot, and the eleven of them crowded around it rather awkwardly. When the Portkey activated, Ginny had the odd sensation of being pulled forward from her belly. A swirling wind of light and color tugged them across the miles and dropped them into a misty moor.

Saying ‘goodbye’ to the Diggorys, they made their way towards their assigned campsite. Dozens of tents were already erected on the field. Most of them were quite small and simple looking, while others had multiple stories, chimneys, and even turrets.

“Now remember everyone,” Dad said. “We are supposed to look and act like muggles as much as possible since we are in a muggle area.” Ginny watched with a small amount of trepidation as her dad pulled out two tents. “What do you think Harry? How do we go about putting these up?”

The look on Harry’s face made Ginny suspect he was not familiar with camping, but miraculously, with Hermione’s help, they managed to get the two small tents erected in a short period of time. Each tent was much larger on the inside than the outside and contained a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen.

“What are the sleeping arrangements?” Neville murmured to Ginny.

“Boys in one tent, girls in the other, I think,” she replied.

Once her dad was satisfied with the campsite, they wandered off to explore the area. Ginny was amazed to see so many witches and wizards speaking so many different languages. She had never seen so many different people gathered in one place. Most everyone seemed to have muggle clothes on instead of traditional robes, but there were many odd clothing choices, including an older wizard wearing a long, flowered nightdress. Ginny smiled as she saw a young girl of no more than two or three riding a small toy broomstick around one campsite.

“Harry, Ron, Nev, good to see you,” called the familiar voice of Seamus Finnigan. “And I see you’re lucky enough to be accompanied by three lovely ladies.”

Ginny smiled and glanced at Hermione and Anna, as Seamus beckoned them over to his tent and introduced everyone to his mother. She was a friendly woman, who was obviously very proud of her Irish heritage and very hopeful that Ireland would win the World Cup.

“You’ll be supporting Ireland, of course,” she pressed.

“Definitely,” Ginny agreed easily. “Ireland has seven brilliant players. They have to win! Bulgaria only has Viktor Krum, and while he is a fabulous seeker, he is only one player.” She shrugged, and was slightly startled when Seamus’s mum clasped her hands briefly, and mentioned to her son that she was a bright little lass.

As they continued to walk around, they saw other familiar faces. Oliver Wood, the former Gryffindor Quidditch team Captain, was there with his parents. Ernie Macmillan, whose grandmother was apparently good friends with Neville’s Gran, stopped to say hello. They also ran into Cho Chang. This young witch seemed to fluster Harry, which rather annoyed Ginny.

Upon returning to their own campsite, Ginny’s three oldest brothers strolled out of the woods with Percy loudly talking about having just Apparated in. He had only passed his Apparition test a few weeks previously and felt the need to point out this accomplishment with annoying frequency. Shaking her head with a sigh, she glanced at Bill and Charlie.

“You two look rather tired for having gotten to sleep in this morning,” she observed.

Bill nodded. “We decided to go for a midnight swim in the pond last night.” He glanced around. “Having fun, Gin?”

She smiled enthusiastically. As she began telling him all about the many witches and wizards they had seen walking around, Ludo Bagman, the Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports, was hailed by their dad.

Mr. Bagman was a loud, friendly man with a powerful build and a slightly protruding abdomen. He looked like a man who enjoyed life and denied himself little. He was wearing a striking set of old yellow and black Quidditch robes from his glory days when he played professionally. Dad introduced him to everyone, and they all thanked him profusely for the World Cup tickets. He talked Dad into making a small wager on the outcome of the match. Fred and George handed over all their money to Mr. Bagman. The pair claimed Ireland would win the game, but the Bulgarian Seeker, Viktor Krum, would catch the Snitch. He laughed jovially as he accepted their bet and recorded it in a small book.

Percy’s boss, the head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, was the next to visit their campsite. Barty Crouch was a thin, impeccably dressed older gentleman with a stiff authoritarian demeanor. Ginny was not surprised that Percy thought so highly of him. Mr. Crouch was looking for Mr. Bagman, due to some problem in the seating arrangements for the members of the Bulgarian Ministry. Though he was perfectly polite to her dad, he was too formal to actually be considered friendly.

“Could those two men possibly be more different?” Neville murmured after they left.

“I don’t see how,” Harry responded with a grin. “It must be difficult for them to have to work together.”

The day passed quickly, and soon they were purchasing souvenirs in preparation for the evening game. The merchandise on display included large rosettes, green for Ireland and red for Bulgaria, flags for each country, collectible figures of the players, hats, scarves, and programs. Harry found Omnioculars, which were like brass binoculars, but could be used to replay scenes or slow down events as they happened.

Once everyone’s shopping was done, and they were decked out in green to show their support for the Irish team, Dad announced it was time to go. The crowds had become louder and more enthusiastic throughout the day. Ginny noticed Neville grab Anna’s hand as they joined thousands of people walking through the woods to the enormous Quidditch stadium. Dad led them over to the nearest entrance.

“Evening, Arthur,” a witch said, checking the tickets. “Go straight up the stairs. All the way to the top.”

“Thank you, Martha. Follow me, everyone!”

They climbed the seemingly endless stairwell and finally emerged in a small box of seats halfway between the goal posts. The box was empty except for a tiny house-elf who identified herself as Winky, when Harry started a conversation with her. Ginny listened curiously as they talked about Dobby, the house-elf belonging to the Malfoy family. Harry had set Dobby free shortly after rescuing her from the Chamber of Secrets. She didn’t realize she was gripping her hands together until Harry placed a hand over hers.

“You alright, Gin?” he asked softly.

She looked up, her cheeks flushing slightly upon meeting his eyes. Ginny took a shaky breath and managed to smile. “Yeah, thanks, Harry.”

He grinned at her and commented on the advertisements flashing on the large screen across the field. Slowly the box filled up, with many people greeting Dad by name, including Cornelius Fudge, the Minister for Magic. Ginny was just starting to relax again when the Malfoy family arrived. She heard Lucius Malfoy greet the Minister and introduce him to his wife, Narcissa, and their son, Draco. It was a tense moment, but she saw that her father managed to remain calm and polite when the Minister drew him into a brief conversation with Mr. Malfoy.

Ginny was relieved when Ludo Bagman arrived suddenly to begin commentating on the match. Using his wand to magically amplify his booming voice, he welcomed the spectators to the Quidditch World Cup and introduced the Bulgarian National Team Mascots.

“Oh, look,” her dad said while leaning forward. “They brought Veela!”

Ginny watched curiously as the beautiful women glided out onto the field and began to dance to haunting and slightly wild music. She glanced around and was amused to see all of the boys seemed to have entered a trance, with the exception of Bill and Charlie. They were watching, but did not appear to be as affected as the others.

“What do you think is wrong with them?” she asked, glancing at Hermione and Anna, who were looking at the boys with some confusion and concern. Harry was actually on his feet leaning rather precariously over the railing.

Then, the music stopped and angry yells were heard throughout the stadium. Hermione was yanking Harry back into his seat with obvious irritation, while Anna was talking softly to Neville and rubbing his back soothingly. Ginny was just about to ask her father what the Veela were exactly when Mr. Bagman announced the arrival of the Irish National Team Mascots.

Green and gold balls of light shot across the stadium, and a huge rainbow appeared across the field. As the rainbow slowly faded, a large shamrock suddenly glided across the sky dropping gold coins over the spectators.

“Wow, leprechauns!” someone shouted. Everyone in the crowd seemed to be gathering the gold coins and applauding loudly.

Mr. Bagman began introducing the members of each Quidditch team, and they flew out into the stadium to wild applause from their enthusiastic fans. When the whistle blew to begin the game, Ginny leaned forward and stared wide-eyed at the speed and precision of the players on their respective brooms.

The Irish chasers worked together as though they could read each others minds. Each time one was ready to pass, another was open and waiting just down the pitch. Within minutes, Mr. Bagman was shouting, “Thirty zero to Ireland!” Each time the Irish team scored, the leprechauns celebrated.

The Bulgarian Beaters were brutally hitting Bludgers as hard as possible towards the Irish chasers to break their momentum. When the Bulgarian team scored, the Veela briefly started dancing again.

Ginny was trying to watch everyone and everything at once, but it was hard to keep track of where the Quaffle and Bludgers were. When she heard a collective gasp from the crowd, she glanced around wildly and saw the Bulgarian Seeker diving towards the ground with the Irish Seeker right behind him.

It looked like they would crash, but at the last possible moment, the Bulgarian Seeker, Viktor Krum, pulled out of the dive, leaving the Irish Seeker, Aidan Lynch, to hit the ground hard.

“Time out!” called Mr. Bagman as mediwizards ran out to the field.

Ginny leaned over the side of the box staring in horror at the young man on the ground.

“Don’t worry, Ginny,” Charlie said beside her. “He’ll be fine, and if Krum decides to feint again, Lynch won’t fall for it a second time.”

Her brother’s assessment was correct and soon the Irish seeker was back on his broom ready to resume play. The game continued at a fast pace with Ireland scoring goals rapidly, and the Bulgarian team becoming so frustrated by the widening score that they began committing one foul after another.

In the meantime, the leprechauns and Veela were involved in an altercation on the field. Ginny saw that the Veela no longer resembled beautiful women, but were now looking distinctly bird-like with long, scaly wings and sharp beaks.

Up in the air, the Bulgarian Seeker was suddenly hit in the face with a Bludger. It broke his nose causing blood to drip rapidly. Ginny wondered when the time out would be called, but then the Irish Seeker went diving for the Snitch.

“Lynch is going after the Snitch!” Harry shouted.

Ginny stared wide eyed as Krum dived after him, gaining on Lynch and pulling up beside him. It looked as though they would both crash into the ground, but only Lynch did. Krum somehow managed to grab the Snitch and stay in the air.

“The match is over. Ireland wins!” shouted Ludo Bagman.

The scoreboard showed that Bulgaria had 160 points to Ireland’s 170 points. It was over so suddenly that the crowd seemed to react in slow motion before an almost deafening roar filled the stadium.

Fred and George congratulated each other on their successful bet and eagerly approached Mr. Bagman for their winnings.

*************************************************************************************

“Girls! Wake up now. Put coats on over your nightdresses. No time to get dressed. Hurry!”

Ginny sat up, startled by the urgency of her dad’s voice. He pulled her up gently into a standing position and handed her a coat before turning to Hermione and Anna, who were both struggling into their jackets and grabbing shoes. Outside the tent they could hear dozens of people screaming.

“Come on now. We’ve got to go. Stay with the boys!” Dad guided her quickly out of the tent. Hermione and Anna were just ahead of them.

“We need to go help the ministry! Go to the woods and stay together! We’ll come for you soon,” Dad commanded.

Neville grabbed Anna’s hand as Fred reached for Ginny. She was staring up at the people floating in the air above a large crowd of masked wizards. They were laughing and pointing at what looked like a muggle family being tormented for their sick enjoyment. The crowd was moving directly towards them. Wizards and witches were screaming and running in all directions, some carrying small children, as wand blasts sounded around them and tents caught fire.

“Come on. Let’s go!” Fred shouted as he pulled Ginny towards the woods. George came up on her other side, and she could hear the others following behind them.

They moved rapidly into the dark woods, quickly passing small groups of frightened people, until they were quite alone among the lofty trees. Fred stopped suddenly and looked around. “Where are Ron, Harry, and Hermione?” he asked in exasperation.

Neville turned and peered through the inky blackness. The moon above was bright, but little light penetrated the canopy of the trees casting shadows around them. “They were right behind us when we got to the woods. I don’t see them anywhere.”

“What do you reckon?” George asked, glancing at Fred. “Should we stay here or try to go back and find them?”

Fred looked at Ginny and Anna. “We walked straight into the woods. Hopefully, they’re just behind us and will catch up. We’ll never find them now.”

“So, are we staying here?” Anna inquired.

Fred nodded. “We’re staying here.”

“Don’t move,” Anna commanded as she took her wand and quickly cut open the palm of her left hand.

They watched in stunned silence as she walked in a small circle around them smearing blood on tree trunks and murmuring continuously. Her wand moved in a steady pattern that seemed to repeat as she closed the circle. A strong magical force filled the air around them. Anna was standing still now with her eyes closed, casting one spell after another.

“Do you feel that?” George glanced at his twin.

Fred nodded in accord.

Anna lowered her wand, and Neville came up beside her.

“Heal your hand, Anna,” he said softly.

She pointed her wand at the still bleeding cut on her hand and sealed the open wound with a quiet 'episkey'.

“Where the hell are they?” a drunken voice hollered.

“Somewhere close,” another voice answered. “Two pretty girls with only a few boys to protect them.”

“Well, that shouldn’t be a problem,” a third voice slurred. “Did you say one was a red head? I like red heads.”

“Then, you can have first go with her. I want the other one. She had a curvy look about her,” the soberest of the three commented.

The boys raised their wands as the three men approached.

“They can’t see us or hear us. We’re safe as long as we stay in the circle,” Anna’s voice was tightly controlled.

“You’re sure?” Fred demanded quietly. The men were getting very close to them now.

“Yes,” she said simply.

The three men came within ten feet of them as they continued talking crudely and walking deeper into the woods.

Once they were out of sight, Neville murmured 'Lumos', providing a softly glowing light. “What should we do now?” he asked tensely.

“Stay in the woods and wait to be rescued,” Ginny muttered a bit sarcastically, though her voice was far from steady. She turned to Anna and touched her arm. “Let’s try to clean your nightdress. There’s bloody spots on it.” Multiple 'Tergeo's' later, the blood was removed from the white cloth as well as from her hand.

Back to index


Chapter 15: Chapter 15 The Woods

Chapter 15
The Woods

Sudden screams echoed throughout the dense forest. Ginny gripped her wand tightly as she turned in the direction of the piercing cries. Fred and George were holding their lit wands aloft -- trying to peer into the darkness.

“Can you see anything?” Neville glanced all around.

“Look up!” Ginny pointed her lit wand straight up towards the sky. “What is that?”

The others stared up into the dark night, but their view was obscured by the numerous trees.

“It looks… green,” Fred muttered. “Kind of an oval shape?”

“It’s the Dark Mark!” George exclaimed.

“You-Know-Who’s mark?” Neville’s voice was shaking slightly.

“Yeah,” Fred nodded, his eyes moving rapidly about the still woods. “A former Death Eater must have conjured it.”

“You mean Voldemort’s mark?” Anna asked nervously. “I thought his followers were dead or in Azkaban.”

“Most of them are…I think,” agreed George. “A few managed to survive and avoid prison.”

“Like the Malfoys!” Ginny spat angrily.

They were all practically back to back watching the woods with their wands at the ready.

“We’re safe in the circle, right, Anna?” Fred asked.

“Yes,” she nodded. “We just have to stay within its bounds.”

Several minutes passed in silence as they tensely waited. Standing still, straining to listen for so long, was difficult, and they started shifting their weight and fidgeting.

“Do you hear someone?” Ginny asked. “Over there?” She pointed off to the left, and they all turned in that direction.

“Ginny!” came a distant bellow. “Ron!”

“That’s Charlie!” George exclaimed, turning to Anna. “Can you remove the spell so they can hear us?”

“Yes, of course,” Anna said, waving her wand slowly as she murmured the proper incantation.

“We’re over here!” Ginny yelled.

Bill and Charlie burst into view. They had obviously been moving quickly because they were breathing hard. Charlie’s wand was lit, providing some relief to the dense shadows of the dark forest.

“Where are you?” Bill shouted loudly, moving his wand in a careful arc.

“We’re right here!” Ginny called. “Just give us a minute!”

“You’re sure that’s them?” Anna questioned cautiously.

“Definitely!”

Anna nodded and began quickly cancelling the spells that hid their location.

Percy came into view just as Ginny stumbled forward and was pulled into a fierce hug by Charlie.

“You’re all okay?” Charlie inquired, looking over the group carefully. “Where’s Ron… and Harry and Hermione?”

“We thought they were right behind us, but we must have gotten separated shortly after coming into the woods,” Fred explained.

Bill nodded. “Let’s get back to the campsite. They might try to find us there.”

“Is the trouble over?” George asked.

“Yeah, whoever cast the Dark Mark scared away the wannabe Death Eaters,” Charlie said. “They Apparated away so fast, we were lucky to catch that muggle family before they all fell to the ground.”

“They’re okay now though, right?” Ginny looked from one brother to the other.

“Once their memories are modified, they’ll be okay, Ginny,” Bill assured her.

Quietly they made their way out of the woods and back to the campsite. Anna ducked into the girl’s tent, and Ginny was about to follow her, when Bill grabbed her arm. “Let’s all stay together in the big tent for now, okay?”

Anna emerged with her bag in her hand, and they all went into the boys’ tent.

“The others haven’t made it back yet,” Fred observed.

“We should wait for Dad,” Bill suggested. “I’ve got to do something about this arm anyway.” He was reaching for a bedsheet to wrap around his bloody wound, when Anna’s voice stopped him.

“Bill, if you sit down, I can fix your arm.”

He sat down at the kitchen table, looking at her curiously. Anna examined the wound on his arm carefully for a moment, apparently undisturbed by the constant flow of blood. Ginny came over to stand next to Bill and observed Anna calmly.

Episkey,” she said pointing her wand at the open wound. The jagged cut sealed neatly. “Tergeo,” she murmured moving her wand slowly to siphon the blood from his arm. Bill was slightly startled when his sister also murmured “Tergeo” removing the blood from his shirt.

Anna placed her wand on the table and turned to get something from her bag.

“Where did you learn that spell, Ginny?” Bill asked quietly.

Ginny smiled at her brother. “I’ve seen Mum do it loads of times.”

He nodded and smiled as Anna placed a vial in his hand.

“What is it?” he asked, looking at the contents suspiciously.

“Blood Replenishing Potion.” Anna carefully dropped liquid from another vial onto his newly sealed wound.

“What’s that?”

“Dittany.”

“That’s expensive,” Bill exclaimed.

“It will help heal the wound and minimize the scarring,” Anna said. “You should drink the potion. You lost quite a bit of blood.”

She waited until he drank it and handed her back the empty vial. “Percy, your turn. Sit here, please.”

Percy sat down as instructed and allowed her to heal his bloody nose without question. “Thank you, Anna. You must be an excellent Charms and Potions student. You will make a fine healer once you graduate from Hogwarts. I’m sure that is your intention.”

Anna smiled at him. “Three of my grandparents were healers. I would be honored to follow in their footsteps.”

She glanced at Charlie, who had been watching her intently, while she healed his brothers. “I see your shirt is ripped. Do you have any injuries?”

He shook his head. “I’m fine, thanks,” he murmured.

Dad walked into the tent with Ron, Hermione, and Harry in tow. “Everyone okay?”

Bill stood up. “We’re all fine. Do you know who conjured the Dark Mark?”

“No.” He sat down heavily in an empty chair. “They got away. Barty Crouch’s elf was found with Harry’s missing wand, but obviously she didn’t cast the spell, and we have no idea who did. Barty was so angry, he dismissed her on the spot.”

As the conversation became heated with Hermione angrily remarking on the appalling treatment of house-elves, Percy valiantly defending his boss, and Ron asking inane questions about the Dark Mark, Ginny approached Anna. “Will you help me make some tea?”

The two girls slipped over to the tent’s small stove and made a pot of tea as well as a pot of hot chocolate. They placed the beverages and all the cups they could find on the kitchen table.

“Thank you, girls,” Dad said with a smile as he accepted his cup of tea. “We need to try to get a few hours of sleep and take a Portkey out early in the morning. I’ll expand the sofa for the three of you. After what just happened, I’m not willing to let you all sleep in a different tent.”

Ginny and Hermione grabbed their belongings from the other tent, and they were soon settled on the magically expanded sofa.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning Dad woke everyone early and used magic to pack up the tents as quickly as possible. After the events of the previous night, it was no longer necessary to behave like muggles. Every muggle in the area had been Obliviated so they would forget everything that had happened in the past few days. They were able to get an early Portkey out and were soon heading up the path to the Burrow.

“Oh, Arthur! Oh, thank goodness you’re all home safe and sound.” Mum ran directly into Dad’s open arms, dropping the newspaper that had been clutched in her hands. He spent the next several minutes reassuring her as everyone else trudged into the Burrow, wearily dropping their bags against the wall.

Hermione, Ginny, and Anna went directly to the kitchen and began to make a simple breakfast of eggs, toast, and tea. The boys grabbed plates and silverware to hastily set the table. By the time Dad came into the kitchen with a visibly calmer Mum, everyone began to eat.

“Oh, thank you, girls!” Molly bustled towards the stove and threw a few dozen sausages into frying pans to begin cooking. She was soon adding a few sausages to every plate and putting more toast on the table.

As Dad quickly scanned the newspaper report about last night’s fiasco, he finished his sausages. Then, he stood up with a sigh and walked over to Mum. “I really should get to the ministry. There is likely to be an uproar about lax security, ministry blunders, and evil wizards wreaking havoc at the World Cup.” He smiled sadly at Mum, who nodded with understanding.

Percy also stood up and strode over to the hearth. “I’ll come as well. Mr. Crouch will be needing everyone on hand today!”

“Dad, could I talk to you for a moment?” Bill asked quietly.

He nodded slowly, taking in his son’s expression. “I’ll be along soon, Percy.”

“Very well, father,” Percy responded as he stepped into the hearth and took the Floo to the Ministry.

Bill cleared his throat loudly. “We need to talk about what happened in the woods last night,” he began, his eyes resting on his twin brothers. Those sitting at the table became very still and quiet.

“I thought everyone was okay,” Arthur said slowly. Molly’s eyes were wide with concern as she glanced quickly at every child in the room.

Bill nodded. “They are okay, but something strange happened in the woods where Ginny and the twins were hidden with Anna and Neville.”

“What happened?” Dad asked in confusion. He looked from the twins who were uncharacteristically quiet to his daughter, who was unusually pale and reaching for her friend Anna’s hand. Neville was carefully stirring sugar into his tea cup.

The Floo flared and a slightly gray skinned Remus stepped out. “Oh, thank Merlin,” he murmured as he caught sight of Anna and Neville. Anna quickly rose from her seat and ran into Remus’s arms. He held her as Neville approached more slowly with a wide grin on his face. “I heard there was a problem and rushed back to the Manor. Augusta is beside herself. I told her I’d come over and find out if you were back yet. Is everyone okay?” His eyes scanned the group around the table, resting a bit longer on Harry than the others.

“We’re all fine, Remus,” Dad assured him. “Why don’t you sit down and have some breakfast? I’ll let Augusta know the children are well and will be home soon.”

Mum fixed Remus a plate, as Dad quickly placed a Floo call to Longbottom Manor to assure Augusta that her grandson and great niece were fine and would be home as soon as Molly stopped feeding them and fussing over them.

By the time his Floo call was over, even Ron realized something was up. He gave Harry and Hermione quizzical looks which they returned with quiet shrugs.

“What happened in the woods?” Dad asked -- staring at his twin sons.

Fred swallowed audibly. “We moved fast in a straight line trying to get as far into the woods as possible. We didn’t know that we’d lost Ron, Harry, and Hermione. We thought they were right behind us.”

“I know son,” Dad softly reassured him. “No one is blaming you for getting separated.” He turned to Bill. “What did you want to talk about?”

Bill sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Who cast the Blood Ward?”

Molly gasped, but the silence of those sitting at the table was absolute. Remus set his fork down with a quiet sigh.

“Anna, I know it had to be you. I can still see the scar on your hand,” Bill continued. “Why did you cast it? How did you even know how to cast a Blood Ward?”

Anna exhaled slowly. “It seemed necessary at the time. As to why --”

Bill interrupted her. “I can understand you being scared of what was happening, but a Blood Ward is not exactly a normal bit of magic for a Hogwarts student. Where did you learn something like that? Why on earth did you cast it in the woods last night?”

Anna sat silently, staring calmly at nothing. Her lips set in a stubborn line.

Bill’s frustration grew. “I’ve never seen that particular Blood Ward before last night. I had a minute to cast a diagnostic on the magic in the area before you managed to cancel all of the spells you cast, and though the magical signatures were all somewhat familiar, most of them I didn’t completely recognize. What spells did you cast? Where did you learn them? Why did you think they were necessary?”

Anna’s face remained blank, her eyes remote. Ginny bit her lip nervously as her gaze shifted between her friend and her brother.

Fred’s hand hit the table hard as he stood up. “Those spells saved us last night! I don’t know what the hell she cast, or who she learned it from, or why she thought to do it, but if she hadn’t, we would’ve been in for the fight of our lives!”

Those who had not been with Fred in the woods were looking at him in shock. Fred was rarely so serious or so angry about anything.

George nodded. “Even if we won, we’d have been seriously injured. We might not have even survived, and the girls…” his voice trailed off.

“The girls what?” Mum asked frantically, moving to stand behind Ginny and Anna.

“There were three men,” Ginny said with a shaking voice.

“They’d been drinking, and I guess they must have followed us into the woods,” Neville added quietly.

Dad’s eyes bulged. “What did the men do?”

Fred shook his head. “They didn’t do anything because they couldn’t find us. Anna got those spells up seconds before we heard them.”

“They were talking loudly about Ginny’s red hair and Anna’s curves.” George’s grip tightened on the tea cup he was holding. “It was pretty obvious what they intended to do.”

Silence descended as everyone digested this information. Wide eyes met across the table. Charlie’s face was unreadable as he stared at the girls and then met Bill’s eyes. Mum’s hands fluttered helplessly over Ginny’s hair.

Remus took a shaky breath. “Well, it sounds as though you all had a difficult night. Neville, grab the bags please. I really need to get you two home to Augusta.”

Bill raised his hand. “Remus, I’d like to understand what spells Anna cast, and where she learned to do a Blood Ward,” Bill insisted. The older man met his gaze. “I’m a curse breaker for Gringotts. I’ve been trained to recognize an immense variety of charms and wards, and most of the spells I saw last night, I could not identify. Do you have any idea how odd that is?”

Remus rubbed his brow thoughtfully. He looked at Anna quietly for a moment. “Would you please tell us about the spells you cast in the woods? But, before you explain, I would like everyone in this room to swear to keep this information to themselves.” He glanced carefully at each person in the room.

“We will keep this to ourselves,” Dad decided. “Right everyone?”

Nods and murmurs of agreement came from every person at the table.

Anna clutched her hands together on the table. Her voice was soft, but clear. “I cast a One-way Silencing Charm, a General Disillusionment Charm, a Muggle Repelling Charm, a Visual Disturbance Charm, an Olfactory Deprivation Charm, and the Blood Ward.”

Bill nodded slowly. “I recognized the magical signature for the Muggle Repelling Charm. Please tell me more about the other spells.”

“One-way Silencing allows us to hear everything outside the circle, but no one to hear anything going on inside the circle. General Disillusionment causes the entire area to be camouflaged. Visual Disturbance makes it difficult for those near to see anything clearly. Olfactory Deprivation blocks the sense of smell,” Anna smiled slightly as she glanced at Ginny. “Your shampoo has a very floral, feminine scent. I didn’t want anyone to be able to smell it.”

Ginny reached for her hand and nodded. “Thank you for keeping us safe.”

“Who taught you those spells?” Bill asked quietly.

“My grandmother. Katherine.”

“Did she teach you the Blood Ward, as well?” he inquired.

“Yes.”

“What are the incantations?”

Anna sighed. “You wouldn’t understand them. My grandmother was very friendly with an old Native witch. The words are all Algonquian.”

“What’s that?”

“An old language of an American Indian tribe that lives in Virginia. I don’t think there are any muggle speakers left, and there are very few magical speakers,” Anna explained.

“So, you know several defensive and protective spells in a language unknown to anyone in Britain?” Hermione asked.

“Yes.”

“Which means that no one would likely be able to break them easily,” Hermione murmured.

Bill clenched the back of the chair in front of him. “Anna, blood magic is almost always Dark. You need to tell me the incantations you used and explain exactly how you cast the Blood Ward.”

Anna raised an eyebrow as she glared at Bill. “How can magic be Dark that harms no one and saves your brothers from being attacked and your sister from being…” Her voice trailed off as she stood up. “Remus, Neville, I would like to go home now, please!”

Remus looked at Arthur. “I think that would be for the best. Neville, the bags please. And go ahead. Anna, you can follow Neville through the Floo.”

“Let’s all calm down and say goodbye properly!” Mum demanded.

Hugs, thank yous, and goodbyes were quickly exchanged, and Remus took his charges home to Longbottom Manor.

Bill sank into a chair as he felt the collective accusatory looks of just about everyone in the room. “Is no one else concerned about why her grandmother taught her all of those spells at such a young age? Not to mention a Blood Ward?” he asked.

Back to index


Chapter 16: Chapter 16 Back to Hogwarts

Chapter 16
Back to Hogwarts

The last days of summer ended. Soon, it was time to pack their trunks for the coming school year.

“I wish Remus was going to be at Hogwarts with us,” Neville commented, as he loaded up his trunk with books and robes.

Anna’s trunk was already packed, and she was sitting on his bed helping him fold his clothes neatly -- making sure he didn’t forget anything.

“It will be strange at Hogwarts without him,” Anna agreed. “I wonder what the new Defense teacher will be like.”

“Rubbish, probably,” Neville grimaced as he continued to add things to his already full trunk. “Our Defense teacher my first year taught us almost nothing and died at the end of the year. He’d been possessed, or something, by You-Know-Who.” He shrugged, clearly indicating that he didn’t know exactly what had happened. “Second year, we had Professor Lockhart. He’s kind of famous for writing a lot of books about fighting dangerous creatures like banshees, vampires, and trolls.” He shook his head. “I think it was all lies though. He couldn’t ever seem to do any spells correctly in class. Mostly, he just read to us from his books. Anyways, he suffered some serious spell damage at the end of the school year. You saw him the last time we went to St Mungo’s, remember?”

Anna nodded and bit her lip. They didn’t talk about Neville’s parents much, but she and Remus had both accompanied the Longbottoms on their recent visits to Frank and Alice in the long term care ward of St Mungo’s. Augusta took Neville to see them every Christmas and a few times over the summer. Remus had quietly explained to her before they went the first time, that Neville’s parents had been tortured with the Cruciatus Curse by Death Eaters for such a prolonged period of time that their minds were permanently affected.

Anna cleared her throat quietly. “Well, it’s great that Remus will be staying here with Aunt Augusta, and hopefully, the part time job at the bookstore will work out well for him.”

“Yeah,” Neville nodded. “Gran really likes having him at the house. Less lonely and all, especially with us being away at school.” He lowered the lid and secured the clasp of his trunk. “I think that’s everything.”

Both teens took one last look around their bedrooms and bathroom and then levitated their trunks carefully down the stairs.

*************************************************************************************

Platform nine and three quarters at King’s Cross Station was as noisy and hectic as ever. Neville and Anna had just boarded the Hogwarts Express and were looking for a compartment when Ginny called out to them.

“Come and join us,” she said holding the door open so they could put their trunks in the compartment. “Harry, Ron, and Hermione are going to be sitting in here as well. They just went back out to the platform to say goodbye to everyone. Speaking of which….” With a smile, Ginny quickly made her way down the corridor.

After stowing their trunks, Anna and Neville hopped off the train to say goodbye to Remus and Aunt Augusta. They were standing with the Weasley family talking animatedly about some trouble earlier that morning with a wizard called Mad-Eye Moody.

“I’m sure Arthur will be able to sort it all out,” Molly was assuring them. “He thinks very highly of Mad-Eye, and it’s not as though anyone was injured or anything.”

“Well, he may be getting a bit paranoid, but he was a very fine Auror,” Aunt Augusta stated firmly.

“Not to mention a decent and honorable man,” Remus said quietly. “Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, Molly.”

“Thank you, Remus.” Molly turned to the children. “Oh, let me hug you all goodbye!”

A flurry of happy goodbyes and reminders to study hard and owl home often followed. Anna was hugged and passed from Aunt Augusta, to Remus, to Molly and then found herself standing somewhat awkwardly in front of Bill and Charlie.

“Look, um,” Bill ran a hand through his hair. “I wanted to apologize if I was a bit abrupt, about what happened in the woods, when we last talked.” He lowered his voice and leaned a bit closer to her. “I am truly grateful you were there and that you helped protect everyone.”

“Thank you, Bill,” Anna said sincerely. “I’m sorry too for being…well…a bit difficult, I guess.”

“Not difficult, exactly, but definitely mysterious,” he softly responded.

Anna blushed and bit her lip.

“Have a good year at school, Anna,” Charlie added.

She nodded and smiled. “Thanks, Charlie.”

Ginny grabbed her hand as the train whistle blew, and everyone quickly climbed aboard the train. They hurried to their compartment so they could wave from the window as the train pulled out of the station. Sitting back in their seats, they relaxed for the long train ride.

“What do you know about Mad-Eye Moody?” Neville asked.

Ron shrugged. “Not much really. He was a great Auror, caught at least half of the current prisoners in Azkaban prison according to Charlie!”

“Dad was called away to try to smooth over whatever happened at his house last night,” Ginny said. “Apparently, he thought he was being attacked and had dustbins enchanted to attack intruders or something. I’m not really sure of the details,” she admitted. “I think the muggle Auror type people were involved though, so Dad went to try to help. That’s why he wasn’t with us at the station.”

“The muggle Aurors are called policemen or detectives,” Harry supplied. “I imagine if they were called in, muggles must have been involved, or at least heard the commotion.”

Seamus and Dean wandered into their compartment, and they began a spirited discussion with Harry, Ron, and Neville about the Quidditch World Cup and the disturbance that had occurred that night. Seamus’s mum had been very upset, especially since some of their belongings had been damaged. Anna didn’t really want to think about it and was soon reading and discussing The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4 with Hermione. She even started trying to learn the Summoning Charm after reading and discussing the theory. Ginny was trying to listen to both conversations at once.

The trip north was the stormiest they had ever experienced. Clouds rolled in, thickly blanketing the sky, as rain lashed against the windows, completely obscuring the view of the countryside. Darkness fell soon after the lunch trolley went through, causing the lanterns to be lit. Neville, Anna, and Ginny went for a walk and chatted for a while with Lavender and Parvati. They were very excited and curious about the requirement of dress robes for fourth years and above that year. Anna hadn’t really thought about it much since Aunt Augusta had quietly ordered everything they needed for school with help from Remus, but now she was curious as well.

“Do you know what’s going on?” Neville asked the girls. “Gran didn’t seem to know much about it, but she mentioned we might not come home for Christmas this year.”

Anna stared at Neville in surprise. “When did she say we wouldn’t be coming home for Christmas?”

“A few days ago,” Neville said. “I think you were having an Astronomy lesson with Remus at the time. Anyway, she said we would probably want to stay at Hogwarts for the Christmas holidays this year. She didn’t explain why though.”

“There must be a really fancy event being held at Hogwarts this year. Perhaps a ball to celebrate Christmas,” Lavender said excitedly.

“But, why this year?” Parvati wondered. “There must be something special going on we don’t know about yet.”

Nods and murmurs of agreement followed this observation, but since none of them knew what was going on, they soon said goodbye and went to visit other friends.

By the time they returned to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Ron was fuming about Draco Malfoy having visited and insulted him, his dress robes, which looked as though they came from the previous century, and his father for not being well placed within the ministry.

Anna had no idea what he was talking about, but quickly whispered to Neville that she would write to Aunt Augusta and let her know his dress robes did not fit properly and that he needed the next larger size. There was no way they could let Ron be seen in the ancient, lace trimmed dress robes which were now flung over his owl, Pigwidgeon’s, cage.

*************************************************************************************

By the time they arrived in the Great Hall, the frustration level of most of the Hogwarts students was rather high. The pouring rain had not made their carriage ride to the castle pleasant, and they had been greeted with Peeves the Poltergeist throwing water balloons at them. The wet, cold students had filed into the hall and sat down with various degrees of resentment and irritation. Anna could see some students using drying and warming charms on their robes while others just sat miserably in their sodden garments. Pulling out her wand, she quickly and quietly cast the spells on her own robes, as well as Neville’s and Ginny’s since they were sitting on either side of her.

“I really need you to teach me that sometime,” Neville murmured in her ear. Ginny just smiled at her and mouthed “thanks!”

“I hope the Sorting is over quickly this year,” Harry muttered from across the table.

“Me too. I’m starving!” moaned Ron.

The Sorting of the new first year students was quickly accomplished, and Professor Dumbledore stood up long enough to tell everyone to “tuck in.” A happy murmur from the students confirmed that they were too hungry to do anything but eat.

While they were eating, the Gryffindor House ghost, Nearly Headless Nick, told them about the hubbub in the kitchens caused by Peeves earlier in the evening.

“Peeves was upset of course about not being allowed to attend the start of school year feast,” he explained. “He had asked the ghosts for permission to come this year. The Fat Friar thought we should give him a chance, but the Bloody Baron wouldn’t allow it. Considering how much Peeves likes to throw things around and cause general chaos, I agreed with the Baron.”

“So what happened in the kitchens?” Ron asked.

“Peeves threw things around and caused general chaos,” Nearly Headless Nick responded with a sigh. “The house-elves were all terrified, and it took some time to remove Peeves and return the kitchen to rights, so the elves could get on with their cooking.”

Hermione stared up at the ghost incredulously. “We have house-elves here at Hogwarts?” she gasped.

“Well, of course,” he said calmly. “There must be over a hundred house-elves at Hogwarts. How did you think all of the cooking and cleaning was accomplished?”

Hermione was truly upset and started talking angrily about “slave labor” and the need for “payment, sick leave, pensions, and holidays.” She pushed her plate away in disgust and refused to finish her meal. Nearly Headless Nick and Ron both tried to talk to her, but she was clearly in no mood to listen to either one of them.

It came as something of a relief when Professor Dumbledore rose to begin the start of term notices. He began with the usual warning that Mr. Filch, the caretaker, had banned several more joke items from the castle. The full list of over four hundred banned objects, many of them Zonko’s products, was posted outside his office door. The warning about the Forbidden Forest being out of bounds was expressed, as it was every year, with a pointed look at the Gryffindor House table.

“And, now, I must inform you that the Hogwarts Quidditch Cup will not be held this year.”

Gasps filled the Great Hall, and Harry was looking around wildly at the twins who both appeared to be in the early stages of shock.

“No Quidditch?” Ginny scowled as she whispered under her breath.

“Instead, we will be hosting a grand event this year which I’m sure you will all greatly enjoy. This extraordinary competition hasn’t been held in over a century, but this year, we will be having ….”

The Headmaster’s voice trailed off as the doors to the Great Hall banged open, and a wizard made his way slowly to the staff table. Anna strained to catch a glimpse of the strange man who was limping and leaning heavily on a walking stick, as he moved along the far side of the hall closest to the Slytherin table. Judging by the way he was moving and the clumping noise, she thought he might have a wooden leg.

A particularly bright flash of lightning briefly illuminated the far side of the Great Hall. Hermione gasped, and Anna blinked as she caught sight of the man’s face. Beneath his shaggy dark gray hair, he was covered in scars. Some of his nose was missing, as though it had been hacked off with a jagged knife. One eye had obviously been lost at some point in the man’s life, and replaced with a magical eye that moved about constantly and unblinkingly. In short, with his heavily scarred and battered face and body, he looked like someone who had just barely survived a horrific war involving very close combat.

Professor Dumbledore shook the stranger’s hand, and greeted him quietly, before turning his attention back to the stunned student body.

“I would like to introduce your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher…Professor Moody,” he announced.

A few quiet murmurs were heard around the hall.

Harry glanced at Ron. “Moody?” he said quietly. “Is that Mad-Eye Moody?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

Dumbledore cleared his throat loudly. “To continue with my announcement, this year at Hogwarts we will be hosting the Triwizard Tournament!”

Excited whispers broke out in the hall making it clear that at least some students knew what this was.

“For those of you who have never heard of the Triwizard Tournament, I will give you a brief explanation. It was established long ago as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry. An impartial judge selects a champion from each school to compete, and those three wizards take part in three tasks. The winner of the event will be awarded the Triwizard Cup and a thousand Galleons of prize money at the end.” He paused as several students gasped. “We will soon be welcoming small groups of students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, as well as their Heads. Please make these students feel welcome at Hogwarts. Besides being a competition, this event is a wonderful opportunity to meet foreign witches and wizards and establish bonds of friendship.”

“I’m entering!” Fred quietly announced to his friends and family at the Gryffindor table. All around the hall, other students were softly proclaiming their intentions to enter the competition.

“Now,” the Headmaster continued. “I know that many of you are eager to participate in this event; however, I must tell you that an age restriction has been agreed upon by the Heads of the three schools, and by the Ministry of Magic. No one under the age of seventeen will be permitted to submit their names for consideration.”

Angry muttering broke out amongst the students, and Fred and George were glaring rebelliously at Professor Dumbledore. Everyone was dismissed shortly thereafter and began making their way to the dorms. The Gryffindors trudged up the stairs, with the twins at the rear of the long line grumbling about the age restriction and plotting possible ways of getting around the rule.

*************************************************************************************

Anna waited anxiously for Neville to emerge from Professor Moody’s office. She had talked Harry, Ron, and Hermione into going ahead to the Great Hall for dinner.

The first week of classes had been going well enough. She had paired up with Neville in Herbology, and he had helped her learn the correct technique for squeezing the pus from the bubotuber plants. They had managed to make it through their first Care of Magical Creatures lesson without incident, which was an impressive accomplishment considering they were working with animals Hagrid called Blast-Ended Skrewts. Anna had prevented Neville from accidentally melting a cauldron in Potions with a hasty Freezing Charm. They had been fortunate that Professor Snape was distracted by another student at the time.

Both of them had generally felt pretty comfortable about their lessons…until today. Anna had been shocked when Professor Moody started demonstrating the Unforgivable Curses on spiders, starting with the Imperius Curse, then the Cruciatus Curse, and finally the Killing Curse. She had grimly watched first Neville, then Harry as each curse was performed. After the demonstration, the students had taken notes on each curse until they were dismissed. Neville had been visibly shaken by the lesson, and Professor Moody had asked him to come in to his office for a cup of tea.

Anna stood just around the corner from the defense professor’s office waiting for Neville to come out and chewing her lip nervously. When he came around the corner, she could see that his eyes were red, as though he had been crying.

“Neville,” she said softly, touching his arm. “How are you?”

“I’m okay,” he assured her. “Professor Moody lent me a book about magical water plants. He said Professor Sprout had told him I’m a good Herbology student.” He smiled slightly.

“You’re a great Herbology student,” Anna said firmly. “Are you ready to go up to the common room?”

He started nodding and then stopped. “You haven’t had anything to eat. Let’s go down to the Great Hall. Even if we missed dinner, the pudding should still be out.”

They made it down just in time to have large helpings of butterscotch bread pudding and chocolate mousse.

Back to index


Chapter 17: Chapter 17 Triwizard Champions

Chapter 17
Triwizard Champions

“Neville! Anna!” Hermione hurried towards them. “I didn’t see you at breakfast this morning.”

“We grabbed an early breakfast and went for a long walk around the lake,” Anna explained. “It’s a beautiful Saturday morning!”

“Oh, well, that sounds great!” she said brightly, as they all sat down together in the common room. “I wanted to let you know, I’ve created a society to address the appalling conditions of house-elf enslavement. It’s called the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare. Harry and Ron have already joined.” Neville and Anna followed her eyes as she looked up fondly at Harry and Ron, who were busy playing a game of wizards’ chess. “And, I knew you would want to join as well after the terrible way Mr. Crouch treated his house-elf, Winky, at the World Cup.”

“Um, what are the goals of this society?” Anna asked cautiously.

Hermione pulled out a parchment from her bag to show them. “The short term goals are to improve the working conditions of house-elves and ensure that they are paid for their work,” she explained. “The long term goals include changing the law on wand use for elves and getting an elf into the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. They desperately need a representative to speak for them!”

Neville glanced at Anna, who nodded slightly in encouragement. He then turned to face Hermione. “How did you come up with those goals?”

“Well, I did a lot of research in the library and those goals seemed like a reasonable place to start,” Hermione said. “Why? Do you have suggestions for more goals?”

“No, it’s just…” Neville paused and took a deep breath. “Hermione, have you ever actually met a house-elf and spent any time talking with them?”

“Uh,” she stammered for a moment. “No, I haven’t ever had the opportunity to talk with a house-elf, but I’m sure they would greatly appreciate these changes.”

“But you don’t really know that,” Neville argued. “If you’ve never spent any time with a house-elf, you don’t know what they might need or want. You don’t understand what is important to them.”

“Surely wages would be important to them!” Hermione exclaimed. “And, some of them live and work in appalling conditions!”

Neville nodded slowly. “Some house-elves are not treated as well as they should be. Elves deserve kindness and appreciation from their masters.” He paused, thinking of how best to explain. “The relationship between wizarding families and house-elves is complicated. When elves are treated well and spoken to kindly, they obey their masters completely in everything. But, did you know that if a master is consistently harsh or unappreciative, over time an elf can find ways to disobey the master, possibly even betray the master?”

“No, I didn’t know that,” Hermione said slowly. “How do you know so much about house-elves?”

Neville took a deep breath and pressed his hands together, preparing himself for her reaction. “We have two house-elves at Longbottom Manor. Gran taught me from an early age to always be kind to Bitty and Litty.”

Her scowl was not unexpected. “You own two house-elves! Do you pay them for their work? I mean kindness is all well and good, but they deserve wages!”

“Hermione, you don’t understand! They don’t want wages. They would be insulted if you tried to pay them for their work!” he exclaimed. “This is why you need to actually spend time getting to know house-elves before you decide what they need and what will make them happy.”

“Well, how am I supposed to do that?” she demanded, shrugging her shoulders in an agitated gesture.

“You could sneak into the kitchens,” Ginny suggested as she sat down next to Neville. “Fred and George do it all the time. If you asked them, I’m sure they’d tell you how to get in.”

Hermione’s lips were pressed together in a hard line, but she seemed to be considering Ginny’s suggestion. She glanced over to where the Weasley twins were sitting.

“Hermione,” Anna said calmly. “Ask the house-elves what they like about their work. Ask them what would make their work easier or better for them. Ask them what makes them happy, and how witches and wizards can help them be happier and more fulfilled in their work. If you ask them the right questions, you’ll find out what they really need and want, what is actually important to them.”

Hermione sighed and looked down at her list of goals.

“I’m not saying your idea of an Elfish Welfare Society is a bad one, but you need to have goals that the house-elves themselves would actually support and appreciate,” Neville asserted. “You’re correct that not all house-elves are treated well. Gran has told me some cautionary stories over the years, but Bitty and Litty are very happy being members of our household.”

Pulling out a fresh parchment and a quill from her bag, Hermione assessed him thoughtfully for a moment. “Will you tell me more about Bitty and Litty? I’d like to understand the situation better.”

Neville nodded and told her stories about growing up with Bitty and Litty. Many of the stories were from when Neville was about six or seven and going through a ‘difficult stage,’ as he put it. Anna and Ginny giggled at a few of the stories. Even Hermione cracked a smile when Neville described being physically and magically scrubbed in the bathtub, until his skin was red and raw, by a very irate Bitty after she caught him eating all of the cake batter she had left out on the kitchen counter.

“What did Aunt Augusta do when she found out?” Anna inquired smirking.

“Backed up Bitty, of course! Gran told me to stay in my room the rest of the day, and all I was allowed to have for dinner was an enormous plate of vegetables and a glass of milk,” Neville chuckled quietly. “From that day on, I knew to ask first if I wanted some cake batter.”

“Do house-elves routinely help raise and discipline children?” Hermione asked, her quill scratching on the parchment, as she continued to take notes.

“Yeah, that’s pretty normal in old, pureblood families,” he nodded. “Bitty is technically the head house-elf at the manor because she’s a few years older than her sister, but they divide the work pretty equally. Bitty takes care of Gran, of course, and when we’re home, Litty takes care of Anna.”

Hermione immediately shifted her focus. “How exactly does Litty take care of you?”

Anna considered how best to explain the situation. “You know how wealthy muggle ladies a century ago used to have personal maids taking care of them?” She waited for Hermione’s nod. “It’s a lot like that.”

“But neither one of them takes care of you?” Hermione inquired glancing back at Neville.

“Well, no,” he said. “I didn’t mean it like that. They both take care of me, but it’s different…. I’m a boy, so I’m not really all that interesting. I’ve seen Litty spend twenty minutes in Anna’s closet picking out just the right clothes for her to wear. She’ll draw a bath for Anna and put in scented bubbles for her. Whereas, I’m just told to take a shower and get dressed. Also, Litty is endlessly brushing Anna’s hair, morning and night!”

Ginny giggled and turned to Anna. “Is that why you like to play dress up and fix my hair?”

Anna nodded and smiled. “I like the way Litty fusses over me. It reminds me of my grandmother. When I was little, she would dress me up like I was a porcelain doll or something.” She quickly wiped away a tear as it started to slide down her cheek. “Litty and I really became close after my father died. She was just quietly there for me, and she still is.”

Hermione twisted her quill thoughtfully. “Thank you for talking to me about this. I guess I do need to learn more about house-elves before I can promote change. The relationships you’re describing are more complicated than I realized.”

*************************************************************************************

“Good evening, Alastor,” the Headmaster said, as he moved to stand beside Mad-Eye Moody at the top of the empty Astronomy Tower. They were facing west, watching the last bit of sunlight disappear far in the distance. The fiery red-orange sky was quickly giving way to a deep blue. The cloudless night would be perfect for stargazing.

“Albus,” the old auror greeted him gruffly as he took a sip from his ever present flask.

“How are your classes going?”

“Well enough,” Moody answered. “Harry Potter can completely throw off the Imperius Curse now. He fought it pretty successfully the first time I put it on him. I could see it in his eyes!” He rubbed the stubble on his chin thoughtfully. “The lad fell over of course, but I kept working with him. By that last time, he resisted perfectly.”

Dumbledore nodded in satisfaction. “How are the other students coming along?”

“A few of the older kids have it, or are very close. People would at least definitely notice from their awkward speech or actions, if they were under the Imperius Curse!” he announced.

“Glad to hear it,” the Headmaster murmured.

“You’ve got another fourth year who can completely resist the Imperius Curse, as well,” Moody said, his face contorting into a grim smile. “Girl by the name of Anna Henry.”

Dumbledore sighed quietly. “What was her reaction to the curse?”

“Just stood there. Eyes so blank, I was sure she’d start dancing around the room any moment, like I was telling her to,” he grunted. “She just stood there, didn’t move, didn’t struggle, nothing. I cast it twice more to make sure. Each time in between I would ask her a simple question, you know. Who her Potions teacher is? Who her Head of House is? She had no difficulty answering me. But, under the Imperius Curse, she was just blank.”

“That’s very interesting,” Albus observed softly.

“Odd is what it is!” Moody declared. “Anyways, best be off and prepare my next lessons.”

“Thank you, Alastor,” he said as the old auror clumped away down the stairs of the tower.

The Headmaster stood quietly looking out over the dark grounds of Hogwarts. He had been surprised when his Potions master, Severus Snape, mentioned not being able to get a read on Anna last year. Severus was a master Legilimens, and he had not been able to glean anything from the girl’s mind. Granted it had been a brief attempt, and Albus had strongly disapproved of his actions, but Severus’s failure weighed heavily upon him.

Now to learn that the girl had been able to throw off the Imperius Curse, as well, was concerning -- impressive certainly -- but concerning nonetheless. Could she possibly be an Occlumens? It seemed highly unlikely, and yet? He tried to recall what he knew about the girl’s past. She was related to the Longbottom family in some way. Her father had been an American and had died the previous year. Sighing, he decided to look into her family and past history when he had time. Once the champions had been chosen for the Triwizard Tournament, he would have more time to look into her situation. Satisfied with his decision, he swept down the stairs.

*************************************************************************************

Classes were dismissed early on the Friday before Halloween so the students of Hogwarts could prepare themselves to welcome the visiting schools’ delegations. The castle had endured the most thorough cleaning they had ever seen, and the student body had been warned to be on their best behavior. As they lined up according to house in the entrance hall, Anna carefully straightened Neville’s tie.

“Do I look alright?” she asked quietly.

“Pretty as always,” he whispered with a smile.

Professor McGonagall led them outside and lined them up in front of the castle by year. Anna listened to the speculation of her fellow Gryffindors as they wondered how the other schools’ students would arrive. They didn’t have to wait long before a dozen enormous flying horses, pulling a massive carriage, was suddenly spotted on the horizon. It landed with a ground shaking thump and rolled to a quick stop. Exiting the carriage was a large woman dressed entirely in black satin and several students wearing pale blue robes of silk.

Madame Maxime, the Headmistress of Beauxbatons, led her students into the castle moments before the students from Durmstrang magically arrived by boat to the lake. The large skeletal vessel literally ascended in the middle of the lake before gliding to shore. Professor Karkaroff led his students down the plank and up to the castle.

Anna heard the excited murmurs of “That’s Viktor Krum!” and looked closely at the student nearest the Headmaster of Durmstrang. He did appear to be the Bulgarian Seeker they had watched at the Quidditch World Cup. Following the rest of her House into the Great Hall, she sat and waited for Professor Dumbledore to announce dinner. Glancing over at Ron, she was slightly amused to see that he was trying to make a space for the Durmstrang students at the Gryffindor table. As it turned out, the students from Beauxbatons had joined the Ravenclaws, and the Durmstrang students were seated at the Slytherin table.

The welcoming feast was even more impressive than the usual Hogwarts feasts and contained a few dishes which were unknown to many of the students. Anna happily served herself some of the bouillabaisse and encouraged Neville to try it.

“What is it?” he murmured.

“It’s a stew with fish and shellfish,” she whispered. “I think you’ll like it.”

Neville looked at it skeptically, but took a bite and grinned. “It’s really good!”

“What kind of a dish is it?” Ginny asked as she served herself a portion. “I mean, it’s obviously not British.”

“It’s a French dish,” Hermione explained. “I had some on holiday one summer.”

Along with the typical puddings, the meal ended with a cold, sweet cream dish that Hermione identified as being blancmange. Anna’s curiosity led to several others at their end of the Gryffindor table trying the new sweet as well.

Finally, the Headmaster rose, introduced Mr. Crouch, the Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and Mr. Bagman, the Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports, and explained how the three champions would be selected by a magical Goblet of Fire. Any student, aged seventeen or above, could submit their name on parchment along with the name of their school. The three champions would be chosen the following evening during the Halloween celebration. He informed the students that an Age Line would be drawn to prevent underage witches and wizards from entering the competition. As the Headmaster wished them all a good night, the students slowly left the Great Hall, speculating loudly about who the champions would be and what kinds of tasks they would face.

*************************************************************************************

“Happy Halloween! Happy Birthday!” Ginny squealed as she jumped on Anna’s bed, holding out a small package.

“Thanks, Ginny,” she laughed setting the book she had been reading aside and opening the gift, as the other girls in the dorm called out birthday greetings.

The present was an intricately braided thread bracelet containing three small stones. “It’s beautiful, Ginny. Will you help me put it on?” She held out her wrist, and Ginny secured the bracelet.

“So, how does it feel to be fifteen?” Ginny asked.

“Oddly enough, the same as it felt to be fourteen,” Anna replied.

“Well, at least now, I’m not the only one who’s fifteen in our room,” Hermione grinned. “Here. I have a present for you.” She handed a neatly wrapped package to Anna and waited expectantly.

Anna tore open the paper to reveal two small paperback novels. Ginny looked at them curiously, noting the name Jane Austen on the front of each.

“They’re British muggle classics written by a woman in the early 1800s,” Hermione explained. “This one is a complicated love story, but it’s one of my favorites. The other seems more like a Gothic mystery, but isn’t really. I thought you might enjoy some light reading.”

Anna gave her friend a hug. “Thank you, Hermione. They sound wonderful!”

“You’re welcome,” she said. “We can discuss them if you want after you’ve read them. I need to get downstairs now. I promised Harry and Ron I’d meet them early this morning so we can see who’s putting their name in the Goblet of Fire.”

Anna nodded and smiled as Hermione made her way quickly out of the room. The other girls rapidly got ready for breakfast as well. No one wanted to miss seeing who would be putting their names in for the tournament.

As it turned out, they made it down to the entrance hall just in time to see first Fred and then George cross over the Age Line protecting the goblet from allowing underage wizards to enter the tournament. Ginny cringed waiting to see what would happen and then burst out laughing as long white beards suddenly appeared on their faces.

The Headmaster was nearby and thankfully looked more amused than anything by the twins attempt to outwit the Age Line. He sent them off to the hospital wing so that Madam Pomfrey could set them to rights.

Rumors were spreading fast in the Great Hall about which Hogwarts students had submitted their names for the competition. Ginny was not pleased to hear that a Slytherin seventh year had put his name in, but was glad that Angelina Johnson of Gryffindor and Cedric Diggory of Hufflepuff had placed their names in the cup.

After breakfast, Hermione, Ron, and Harry went to visit Hagrid, while Neville and Anna went for a walk around the lake. They had invited Ginny to come along, but she was determined to finish her potions essay.

By evening, Ginny was relieved to get away from her school work and join the others at the Gryffindor table. Everyone was eating the Halloween feast with a sense of nervous speculation as they wondered who the champion would be for each school.

“I hope it’s Angelina,” Fred said.

“So do I!” agreed Hermione.

All of the Gryffindors around them were nodding and staring at the Goblet of Fire expectantly. Professor Dumbledore began explaining the procedure for the champions to follow as they were called. Quite simply, they were to go into another room where they would be receiving instructions for the first task. Soft gasps could be heard throughout the hall as a slip of parchment, with the name of the first champion, emerged from the cup.

“The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum!” the Headmaster loudly announced.

Cheers erupted around the hall, as Viktor Krum rose from his seat and went into the chamber Dumbledore had indicated. Soon another name came out of the cup.

“The Beauxbatons champion is Fleur Delacour!”

Again clapping and cheering sounded throughout the large room, as she too walked away to the chamber for the champions. By the time the third name floated down from the flames, the students of Hogwarts were collectively holding their breaths, knowing that their champion was about to be announced. Ginny grabbed Anna’s hand excitedly as she stared at the Headmaster.

“The champion for Hogwarts is Cedric Diggory!”

The noise in the hall reached levels that were almost painful to hear as the student body cheered, clapped, and celebrated the moment. Every Hufflepuff was positively beaming with pride and excitement as he left the room to join the other champions. The Headmaster waited for the students to become quiet, and then began to talk about the importance of supporting the champions and cheering them on as they began their tasks. Suddenly, he fell silent, as another scrap of parchment exited the cup. Professor Dumbledore grabbed it and stared for so long that people began to look nervously at one another.

“Harry Potter.”

Back to index


Chapter 18: Chapter 18 Dragons

Chapter 18
Dragons

Ginny was frustrated.

She had been stunned on the night of Halloween when Harry’s name came out of the Goblet of Fire — thus making him the fourth champion. How could it have happened? Surely, it had to be some sort of horrible mistake. The Headmaster had created an Age Line to prevent underage wizards and witches from competing. Fred and George hadn’t been able to get past it. They had grown magnificent white beards, after swallowing a small dose of Aging Potion, and trying to cross the line. Ginny was positive Harry hadn’t been able to get past it either. She was convinced he had not put his own name in, and thought it dreadfully unfair that someone else had entered Harry into the Triwizard Tournament. Why was he being forced into the competition?

She asked Ron that very question.

“He’s not being forced to do anything, Ginny!” Ron scoffed. “The goblet selected him. I just wish I knew how he managed to do it. If he’d told me how he planned to get past the Age Line, I could have entered my name as well.”

“Harry didn’t enter himself,” Ginny insisted. “Did you see his face when his name was called? He was just as shocked as everyone else!”

“Yeah, whatever,” he muttered as he made his way up the stairs to his dorm.

She turned to Hermione, who was rubbing her temples and watching helplessly, as the twins came in with a load of food and drink from the kitchens. They were clearly setting up for a celebratory party.

“What do you think about all of this?” Ginny asked.

The older girl sighed. “I agree with you. Harry didn’t enter the tournament, and I think he’s probably pretty upset and overwhelmed.” She shrugged sadly. “My head is throbbing. I’m going to bed.”

The noise in the common room was escalating rapidly, spurred on by Fred and George, who were thrilled to have a Gryffindor to support. All of the Gryffindor Quidditch team and most other members of the house seemed very excited to have their own champion.

“Ginny,” Anna said, as she and Neville approached her. “Are you okay? I saw you talking to Ron and Hermione.”

She turned to her friends, and they moved to a quiet corner. “Ron’s being a thick headed git! He’s acting like Harry wants to be in the tournament. It’s ridiculous! I don’t know what his problem is.”

“Well, it’s always Harry, isn’t it?” Neville observed quietly. Ginny sucked in an angry breath, but Neville continued. “I don’t think Harry put his name in the Goblet of Fire. I mean Harry doesn’t really like a lot of attention, does he?”

Ginny exhaled loudly. “No, he doesn’t. So why is my brother too thick to see that?”

“Ron’s probably a bit jealous. He’s Harry’s best friend, but he’s always in his shadow, you know?” Neville explained. “I think maybe Ron would like to be the center of attention, and it’s hard for him that it’s always Harry.”

Anna nodded slowly. “That makes sense. What did Hermione have to say about it?”

“She knows that Harry didn’t enter,” Ginny said. “She went to bed though. I don’t think she was feeling very well.”

“I think I’ll go on up as well,” Anna decided, glancing around the noisy common room. “Hopefully, Ron will feel better about things in the morning, and we can see how Harry is doing. Night, Neville.” She kissed his cheek.

Ginny looked around the common room and yawned. Harry was nowhere in sight. “I’ll go to bed as well. Hopefully, things will look better in the morning. Night, Neville.”

Unfortunately, nothing was any better in the morning, or over the next few weeks. Ron continued to be a stubborn git, practically ignoring his best friend. Hermione seemed determined to not get too involved, but encouraged both boys to renew their friendship. It didn’t seem to be working.

The members of Hufflepuff were being rather hostile towards all of Gryffindor because they were convinced that their housemate, Cedric Diggory, was the true Hogwarts champion. They seemed to be laboring under the delusion that Harry was trying to steal Cedric’s moment in the spotlight. Badges supporting Diggory were showing up on the school robes from members of every house, except Gryffindor. Apparently, Slytherin House had created and distributed the badges which also contained the message ‘Potter Stinks.’

It hadn’t helped that when the article about the Triwizard Tournament appeared in the Daily Prophet, it was all about Harry Potter. The article included very little information about the champions from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, and failed to even mention Cedric Diggory. The newspaper writer, Rita Skeeter, had also insinuated that Harry was dating Hermione. While Ginny knew that wasn’t true, the idea made her feel very uncomfortable.

Bundled up against the brisk November wind, Ginny joined Neville and Anna on a walk around the lake. Puffy white clouds were high overhead and moving quickly across the bright cerulean sky. Most of the trees were completely devoid of leaves as they were now scattered thickly on the ground. Initially, they just talked about their classes and the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend, but eventually conversation returned to the Triwizard Tournament.

“What do you think the first task will be?” Neville asked. “I mean it’s coming up soon.”

Ginny frowned. “It must be something really challenging. They came up with all of the tasks thinking the champions would be of age, and all in sixth or seventh year. I don’t see how Harry will manage. I know he’s a powerful wizard, but he’s still just a fourth year. How is he going to learn enough spells to make it through this competition?”

“Do you think that’s the point?” Anna inquired. “I mean, whoever entered Harry into the tournament, do you think they were trying to embarrass him or something? Make him look less talented or capable in comparison to the other champions?”

“I hate to say it,” Neville winced. “But, I really hope that’s all it is. This competition is likely to be really dangerous. I know that the organizers are trying to keep everyone safe, but it seems possible that someone entered Harry hoping he would be severely injured, maybe even killed.”

Ginny groaned and stopped walking to lean against a tree. Neville picked up a small stone and threw it towards the lake. It skipped along the surface.

Anna stood quietly for a moment. “Who would do such a thing?”

“You mean besides Voldemort?” Ginny murmured. “He’s not gone. I know he’s not.”

Neville sighed. “There are a lot of old Death Eaters still around, too. Ones that never went to Azkaban. Remus told me once that some of them blame Harry for You-Know-Who disappearing the night he attacked the Potter house.”

Anna nodded pensively. “We should return to the castle soon.”

Slowly, the three made their way back, each lost in thought.

*************************************************************************************

On the morning of the Hogsmeade weekend, Hermione managed to talk Harry into going, even though he insisted on wearing his invisibility cloak. She was frustrated with both of the boys, Harry for being so insistent that Ron admit he had not entered the tournament voluntarily, and Ron for being so stubborn that he could not acknowledge Harry would not have submitted his name and then lied about it. At least Ron had decided to spend the day with Fred, George and their friend Lee Jordan. Hopefully, she would not be spending the entire day conversing with Harry while he was hidden beneath his Invisibility Cloak.

They went into Honeydukes, and Hermione stocked up on chocolate to take back to school, as well as purchasing some cream filled chocolates for Harry and her to eat as they walked about town. She felt silly trying to talk to Harry in his Invisibility Cloak, and knew that at least a few people were giving her odd looks, since she seemed to be talking to herself.

Entering the Three Broomsticks, Hermione was relieved when Ginny, Neville, and Anna called out to her and motioned her over. They were seated at a table for six, so it would be easy for her and the invisible Harry to join them.

“Would you like me to get you a butterbeer, Hermione? I can get one for your imaginary friend as well,” Neville smirked.

“Yes, thank you!” Hermione said with an exasperated sigh. “Honestly, Harry, you and Ron need to get over this… whatever it is, soon!”

“My git of a brother has to come to his senses eventually,” Ginny observed. “Though he is certainly taking his time about it.”

“Is there anything we can get for you while we’re in town, Harry?” Anna asked softly.

“No thanks,” he whispered. “Hermione got us some chocolate already.”

Neville returned with the two butterbeers, carefully sliding one down the table for Harry to drink under his Invisibility Cloak.

The girls chatted about classes and avoided saying anything about the Triwizard Tournament or the first task.

“Oh, I see Hagrid,” Hermione said suddenly. “He’s with Professor Moody.”

Both professors came over to say hello, Hagrid boisterously greeting them and asking about their purchases. Hermione was interested to note that Professor Moody seemed to be looking at the exact spot where Harry was currently sitting. He leaned in as though he were talking to him for a moment before stepping back.

“So, looking forward to watching the first task?” Moody asked loudly, as Hagrid bent in the direction of Harry and seemed to whisper something.

“Yes, of course,” Anna answered for the group. “I’m sure it will be quite a thrilling event.”

“Right you are, young lady,” the Professor agreed. “Well, then Hagrid, best be off.”

As the two men walked away, Hermione murmured towards Harry. “What was that all about?”

“Hagrid wants to meet me later,” he softly explained.

“Could Professor Moody tell you were there?” Anna asked.

“Yeah,” Harry whispered. “His magical eye must let him see through Invisibility Cloaks.”

*************************************************************************************

Before Ginny was ready for it, the day of the first task had arrived. She had no idea what the champions would be facing and was becoming increasingly concerned for Harry. How could this be happening?

She felt numb with fear and anticipation by the time she reached the stands where everyone was gathering and waiting. Standing between Hermione and Anna, she reached out for their hands.

“Harry will be okay, won’t he?” Ginny asked.

“Yes, of course,” Hermione stated firmly. “It’s just a simple Summoning Charm. He can do this!”

Ginny looked at her oddly, wondering what she was talking about, but was comforted by Hermione’s conviction that Harry would be okay.

Anna gave her hand a gentle squeeze and smiled reassuringly at her.

Then, a whistle blew and Ludo Bagman began commentating by announcing the first champion Cedric Diggory. Ginny stared in horror from the Swedish Short-Snout to Cedric and back again. They had to get past a dragon to get a golden egg from the nest. Cedric Transfigured a rock into a dog to try to distract the dragon. His ruse worked fairly well, until the dragon changed direction and breathed fire on Cedric as he was grabbing the egg. He definitely suffered a burn, but at least the task was over, and he had been successful.

The next champion called into the arena was Fleur Delacour. Her dragon was a Welsh Green. Ginny was amazed when the beautiful, blonde witch cast a spell putting the dragon into a trance like sleep. She was able to collect the egg fairly easily, until the dragon snored. It sent out a flame catching her skirt on fire. She put it out quickly with a water spell from her wand, but it was a shocking and frightening sight.

By the time Viktor Krum entered the arena, Ginny was ready to groan with frustration. It wasn’t that she wanted Harry to face his dragon, as much as that the anticipation of having to wait was physically painful. The Chinese Fireball was ready for him, sitting on her nest of eggs.

“This is barbaric,” Anna murmured. “I feel like a spectator at the ancient Roman Colosseum.”

“It does feel that way,” Hermione agreed. Suddenly she gasped. “Oh, no!”

Viktor Krum had hit the dragon with a spell to the eyes that left it bellowing in agony. As they watched, it trampled half the real eggs before he grabbed the golden egg and escaped.

“I can’t believe they’re using nesting mothers,” Ginny lamented.

A Hungarian Horntail was soon settled in the enclosure with her nest of eggs, and Harry walked out with his wand raised.

“Come on Harry,” Hermione murmured under her breath. She was staring at him and then looking around towards Hogwarts.

Suddenly a broom hurtled towards Harry, and Ginny almost laughed in relief as he caught the Firebolt. He dived and swooped, missing the dragon breathing fire on him by seconds. He was looking for an opening, a way to get to the nest. As he got a bit too close, one of the long spikes of the dragon’s tail caught his shoulder, clearly leaving a bloody wound.

“Harry,” Ginny whimpered. She felt Anna’s hand squeeze hers firmly.

Harry acted as though he had not been injured. He continued to plummet and rise repeatedly, as close to the Hungarian Horntail as he could possibly get. Slowly, carefully, Harry enticed the dragon to leave her clutch of eggs and follow him. When she finally ascended in anger and frustration, he dove straight to the ground, grabbing the golden egg and soaring over the stands.

“Oh, thank Merlin,” Ginny whispered.

The first task was over, and Harry was okay.

Hermione and Ron raced down the stairs towards the tents where the champions were being treated, just as a deafening cheer of triumph arose from the stands. Ginny was pleased to observe that most of the students of Hogwarts were applauding for Harry. It was not just Gryffindor House. The two Hogwarts champions had successfully faced their dragons and completed the task of retrieving the golden egg. The crowd was ready to celebrate their accomplishments.

It was an elated group of Gryffindors that slowly exited the stands and began to make their way up to the castle. Ginny was not surprised when her brother Charlie caught sight of Fred and George, towards the front of the group, and beckoned them over. He was greeting them when he saw her and grinned.

“Hey, Ginny. Why don’t you bring Neville and Anna over here? I need a hug from my favorite sister!” Charlie called out.

“I’m your only sister!” Ginny exclaimed as Charlie picked her up into a tight hug.

“Still my favorite though,” he said. “How would you all like to come and get a look at the dragons up close?” he asked. “I was going to ask Ron and Hermione too, but I’m guessing they’re with Harry. He’s probably had enough of dragons for a while!”

“Yeah, we’re in,” Fred accepted, looking at George who nodded in confirmation.

“I’d love to see them!” Ginny said, glancing at Anna and Neville. “You’ll come too, won’t you?”

“Yes, thank you,” Anna agreed. Neville nodded.

They followed Charlie into the Forbidden Forest and soon came to the enclosure where the dragons were resting. Each female dragon had her body wrapped protectively around her nest of eggs and was carefully surveying the area and the dragon keepers, all except the Chinese Fireball. She seemed to be asleep. The boys spread out walking the perimeter to get a better look at each dragon.

“How is the Chinese Fireball doing?” Ginny asked.

“We had to give her a Sleeping Potion,” Charlie said, shaking his head. “Some people think dragons don’t have feelings, but she knows she lost half her eggs.”

“That task was horribly unfair to the dragons and to the champions,” Anna commented. “Animals shouldn’t be frightened and hurt for a competition, for people’s amusement. Those dragons had to be so afraid and confused, so desperate to protect their offspring.” Her lips were pressed together in a hard line, as she shook her head in obvious disapproval.

“Well, one thing I know for certain,” Charlie remarked quietly. “The reserve in Romania won’t allow dragons to be borrowed by the British Ministry again, especially not nesting mothers. I know full well my boss, Nicolas, was not made aware of the details of this little event. He’s going to be furious when we return with half a clutch of broken Chinese Fireball dragon eggs.”

They walked slowly around the enclosure, and Charlie told the girls about each dragon. Ginny was proud of how knowledgeable her brother sounded and how much he clearly liked working with each dragon.

As they were getting ready to leave, Ginny hugged Charlie tightly. “It was wonderful to see you again so soon! Visit more often, please.”

“I’ll make a better effort to visit regularly,” Charlie assured her. He said goodbye to his brothers and encouraged them to not get caught in too much trouble. Ginny noticed he didn’t tell them not to get in trouble, just not to get caught.

“Thank you so much, Charlie,” Neville said. “Seeing dragons like this has been an amazing experience.”

“Glad you enjoyed it,” Charlie replied.

“We enjoyed it very much,” Anna assured him with a bright smile. “They really are quite magnificent creatures.”

They left the Forbidden Forest and walked quickly up to the castle. Fred and George were eagerly planning out the details for a party as they were walking. It took a shockingly short amount of time for several platters of food, pumpkin juice, and butterbeer to arrive in the Gryffindor common room. The twins really were rather amazing! Dean Thomas had created a few banners to hang around the room which showed Harry flying around the Hungarian Horntail in search of the golden egg. Lee Jordan set off Filibuster’s Fireworks shortly after the food arrived, causing stars and sparks to repeatedly go off all around the large room.

When Harry entered the common room closely followed by Ron and Hermione, everyone cheered and yelled out their congratulations. Ginny was pleased to see Harry looking so calm and happy. He fixed himself a plate of food and sat down with his two best friends. She realized Ron must have apologized and obviously Harry had forgiven him. Hopefully, her brother wouldn’t get into a snit again any time soon.

“Looks like they’ve made up,” Anna quietly commented.

Neville nodded. “I think watching his best mate face a dragon had a rather enlightening effect on Ron.”

“It was certainly something to see,” Ginny murmured.

The rest of the evening passed in a happy blur. Harry briefly opened the golden egg so they could hear the clue about the second task, but slammed it shut when a screeching wail emanated from the empty egg. Neville ate a custard cream that turned him into a large canary. Fortunately, the effect did not last long, and Fred was immediately touting them as Canary Creams, their latest joke invention. Neville laughed along with everyone else once he was back to normal again. It was a wonderful ending to a very stressful day.

Back to index


Chapter 19: Chapter 19 The Yule Ball

Chapter 19
The Yule Ball

Ginny and Anna sat on a thick red rug in front of the common room fire, reading one of the novels Hermione had given Anna for her birthday. They giggled occasionally and whispered about one of the characters. Neville sat on the sofa behind them, wondering what was amusing them so much, as he idly flipped through one of his Herbology books.

Ron plopped down in the empty spot next to Neville and held out a cloth napkin full of chocolate eclairs. “Want one?” he offered.

“Thanks, Ron,” Neville said as he reached for an eclair. “Where’d you get them?”

“We were just in the kitchens visiting the house-elves,” Ron said thickly through the bite of éclair in his mouth.

Harry sat comfortably in a chair, while Hermione squeezed onto the sofa next to Ron.

“You’ll never guess who’s working in the kitchens,” she said excitedly. “Dobby and Winky! You remember Winky from the World Cup, don’t you? She was the house-elf that awful Mr. Crouch fired.”

“Yes, of course,” Ginny nodded as she took an éclair.

“Well, Dobby brought Winky here, and Professor Dumbledore gave them both jobs. Dobby is being paid for his work, and he has a day off every month!” she announced.

“It’s great they both have a place now,” Anna said. “Are they happy being at Hogwarts?”

Harry laughed. “Dobby is definitely happy. He’s put together a collection of clothes to wear that is really something. He certainly seems to like a lot of different colors and patterns.”

“What about Winky?” Ginny asked.

“I think she’ll need some time to adjust,” Hermione said tactfully.

“Yeah, she was mostly just crying and screeching the whole time we were down there,” Ron added. “The other elves were really happy and helpful though. I think we can easily go and get food anytime we want!”

Ginny smirked at her brother. “Glad to know you’re focused on what’s important there, Ron.”

“So…” Neville looked at Hermione. “I know you are creating goals for your society to help house-elves. Have you learned anything about what they might want to improve their working conditions?”

“I haven’t been able to make much progress with that yet,” Hermione admitted. “Clearly since the Headmaster is paying Dobby for his work and giving him a day off every month, he would probably be willing to do that for the other house-elves as well.” She shook her head in confusion. “I really don’t think the other elves want to be paid though, and they seem to have no interest in being free.”

“As a student run society, you might want to consider just trying to educate other students about the need to be kind and appreciative to the house-elves. Focus on an educational campaign encouraging them to be polite and respectful to any elves they come into contact with,” Anna suggested. “I know you want to do more, and when you are an important ministry employee, I’m sure you’ll be able to pass legislation and make substantial changes.” She smiled at her friend. “But, for now, maybe just keep it simple and use your time at Hogwarts to gather information and learn what would truly help the house-elves.”

Ron nodded seriously. “I agree. You know Dobby will talk to you as much as you want and be honest about what’s going on with the house-elves. The others will probably start to feel comfortable talking to you as well if you visit the kitchens often enough. By the time you leave Hogwarts, you could have an impressive list of goals to take to the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.”

Hermione looked at him with an expression of pleased surprise on her face. “Thank you, Ron.”

“Plus, every time you visit the kitchens, you can come back with a load of sweets!” he added.

“Good point, Ron,” Neville said with a smirk. “How about a game of chess?”

As Ron went to go get his chess set, Ginny tried to stifle a giggle. Hermione was glaring at the back of Ron’s head in clear exasperation. Then, the corner of her mouth twitched, and all three girls burst out laughing.

*************************************************************************************

The fourth years were sitting in Transfiguration class on Thursday when Professor McGonagall told them about the upcoming Yule Ball.

“The Yule Ball is a traditional event and an important part of the Triwizard Tournament. Students in fourth year and above are invited to attend and expected to wear dress robes. Younger students may come only if they are invited to be the date of an older student. The dance will begin at eight o’clock in the evening on Christmas Day and conclude at midnight,” she explained.

A few giggles and excited murmurs broke out among the students.

Professor McGonagall looked at them sharply. “I expect every student attending the Yule Ball to behave with proper decorum at all times. Though it is a social event, I will be quite displeased if anyone embarrasses this school in any way.”

As she dismissed the class, the professor called Harry to her desk. He emerged from the classroom a few minutes later with the news that the four champions and their dance partners were expected to open the ball. Anna thought he looked rather alarmed by the thought.

“Would you like to go to the Yule Ball together, Anna?” Neville asked as the Gryffindors made their way up to the tower.

“Yes, it should be fun!” Anna agreed. “I need to look through my gowns and decide what to wear. No wonder Aunt Augusta ordered dress robes.” Lowering her voice, she murmured, “Did your second set arrive?”

“They did, but I haven’t tried them on yet.”

She nodded quietly.

Over the next couple of weeks, the excitement level of the students at Hogwarts rose steadily, as did the number of boys securing dates for the Ball. Viktor Krum wasted no time asking Hermione to be his date. She told Ginny and Anna after making them promise not to tell anyone else. Seamus Finnigan asked Lavender Brown to go with him. Fred Weasley invited Angelina Johnson to be his dance partner for the evening. Anna heard rumors of many other pairings as well, but no one had yet asked Ginny.

“It’s okay,” Ginny murmured quietly one evening. “Third years aren’t really supposed to attend anyways. It will be fun just to see everyone dressed up.”

The next evening, Ron came stumbling into the common room with a look of overwhelmed terror on his face. Ginny hurried over to him and was clearly trying to soothe him. He was muttering about Fleur Delacour and seemed slightly confused. Harry walked in and joined Anna and Neville in trying to find out what had happened. The story emerged slowly, but it soon became obvious that Ron had asked Fleur to the Yule Ball and had, of course, not been accepted.

“Ron,” Anna exclaimed in exasperation. “Why don’t you go and ask someone who might actually say yes?”

“Like who?” he asked with a bewildered shrug.

“Like Parvati!” Anna whispered, glancing around the nearly empty room. “As far as I know, she doesn’t have a date yet.”

“You think she might agree to go with me?” Ron wondered.

“Well, you won’t know until you ask her, but she is certainly a more likely option than the Beauxbatons champion!” she replied.

“Alright, then, I’ll go find her.” Ron stood up, squared his shoulders in a determined sort of way, and walked off.

“Do you have a date yet, Harry?” Anna asked as she turned to him.

“Well, no,” he admitted. “I asked Cho Chang, but she’s going with Cedric Diggory.”

“Harry you’re opening the ball. You have to find a partner, hopefully someone who can actually dance,” Neville remarked.

“I know,” Harry groaned loudly. “I can’t dance at all, and I’m going to make a complete fool of myself at the ball!”

Seamus had been walking by and stopped suddenly. “Geez, Harry. Get Anna to teach you how to dance. She’s a brilliant dancer.”

“Thank you, Seamus,” Anna said. “But, the biggest problem is that Harry doesn’t actually have a date yet.”

Seamus’s eyes widened as he stared at Harry. “You’re representing Gryffindor, mate. You’ve got to have a date, and she’s got to be able to dance!”

“Well, what am I supposed to do?” Harry demanded.

Seamus sputtered for a moment and then turned to Neville. “Mate, I know you were planning to take Anna, but you’ve got to let Harry take her. We’ve got to keep up appearances and all!”

Neville opened his mouth, closed it, and turned to Anna questioningly.

“Harry,” Anna began slowly. “Would you like me to accompany you to the Yule Ball?”

“Yes,” Harry nearly shouted in relief. “Please come with me and prevent me from looking stupid on the dance floor!”

Anna looked at Neville. “Would you be okay with that?”

“Yeah,” Neville sighed. “Seamus is right. Harry is representing all of Hogwarts, but Gryffindor especially. He’s got to have a pretty dance partner who knows how to dance.” He turned to Harry. “But, after the first couple of dances, I will be cutting in!”

“Of course,” Harry replied. “No problem at all.”

Anna turned to Ginny hopefully. “Ginny, will you please be Neville’s date to the Yule Ball. I can’t possibly agree to this unless I know he has a proper date.”

Ginny’s eyes widened. “Yes, if that is what Neville wants.”

“Alright,” Anna said firmly. “Now, we all have to agree that we’re comfortable with this. I will be Harry’s partner for the ball, and Ginny will be attending with Neville.” She paused and glanced at everyone. “After the first two or three dances, we will switch partners so that I am back with Neville. Correct?”

Harry nodded emphatically. Ginny looked slightly stunned, but slowly nodded her head. Neville glanced at the other two and nodded as well. “Sounds good to me,” he said.

Seamus blew out an exasperated breath. “Well, at least that’s settled then. Anna, Ginny, I expect you two lovely ladies to each save me a dance. Neville, Harry, I expect you to keep Lavender happily engaged while I’m dancing with your dates!” He walked away shaking his head and muttering about ‘the bloody drama of it all.'

At that moment, Hermione walked up asking why no one went to dinner.

“We were just deciding on dates for the Yule Ball,” Neville explained. “I’m taking Ginny. Harry’s taking Anna. We’ll switch dates once the ball gets going. Oh, and at some point, we are supposed to each dance with Lavender because Seamus wants a dance with Anna and Ginny.”

“Oh, well, that’s wonderful!” Hermione said. “What about Ron?” She glanced around the common room.

“I think he may be asking Parvati if she would accompany him,” Anna answered before turning to the others. “Should we hurry down to dinner, or just beg the house-elves for some sandwiches?”

“I’ll go get sandwiches and bring them back up,” Harry volunteered. “Neville, do you want to come with me?”

“Sure,” Neville replied. “We’ll be back with some food soon.” He smiled at the girls and followed Harry out of the portrait hole.

Anna turned to Ginny and Hermione. “Let’s go upstairs and look at gowns!”

The three girls rapidly climbed the stairs and entered the fourth year dorm room.

“Ginny,” Anna squealed. “You’re going to the ball!” Looking at her friend, Anna paused uncertainly. “You are happy, aren’t you? I thought you wanted to go.”

“I do,” Ginny murmured. “It’s just…”

“What’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

Ginny looked from Hermione to Anna. “You’re going with Harry,” she said softly, not quite meeting Anna’s eyes.

For a moment, Anna was bewildered. Then, she sighed. “Oh, Ginny. I promise you, I do not fancy Harry. And, clearly he doesn’t fancy me, since he asked Cho Chang to be his date to the ball.”

“Did he really?” Hermione inquired.

“Yes,” Anna said shaking her head slightly. “I suppose we can’t really hold it against him.”

“Well,” Hermione began. “The important thing is that you get to go to the ball, Ginny. And, from what Neville was saying, it sounds as though you will be Harry’s date for part of the evening.”

Ginny looked at her questioningly.

“Neville clearly said that he and Harry would be switching partners. I think you’ll at least have the opportunity to dance with Harry,” Hermione said with a smile.

Ginny bit her lip for a moment and then grinned.

Anna glanced happily from Hermione to Ginny. “So, as I was saying ‘gowns’! Do you have one Ginny? If not, I’m sure I have something that will fit you.”

The girls looked at gowns and talked about hairstyles until Neville bellowed for them to come down for dinner.

*************************************************************************************

On Christmas Day, the girls all disappeared at about five o’clock to begin getting ready for the Yule Ball.

Ron seemed startled by this. “How can they need three hours to get ready?”

Harry shrugged.

Neville smiled. Living with Anna for over a year now, he felt he was starting to get used to the mysteries of girls. The guys made their way up to Gryffindor Tower at about seven and changed into their dress robes.

“What do you think?” Neville asked turning to his roommates. “These robes are too big, aren’t they?”

Dean answered first. “Oh, they look fine, Neville.”

“No, they don’t!” Seamus said honestly. “They’re too long. You’ll be tripping all night if they don’t get hemmed. Maybe Anna can help. Girls know about things like that.”

Neville yanked off the robes and tossed them on his bed. He went to his wardrobe and pulled out a second set of dress robes. “Good thing Gran got me robes in two different sizes. She wasn’t sure how much I’d grow,” he shrugged as he pulled on the new robes. They fit perfectly.

Ron was standing before the mirror in his ancient dress robes with the lace cuffs. They were the worst robes Neville had ever seen. He really did look like he was wearing an old lady’s dress.

“Hey, Ron,” Neville said. “Why don’t you wear my spare robes?”

Ron turned and looked at Neville in his simple black dress robes, and then at the same robes in a larger size currently thrown over his bed. “Are you sure you wouldn’t mind?”

“Of course not,” Neville assured him. “I can’t wear two sets of robes at the same time.”

Ron stared at the dress robes for a full minute and then looked up at Neville. “Alright then. Thanks, mate!”

He yanked off the hideous old robes and pulled on the plain black dress robes. His face relaxed into a smile. “These are great! I owe you one, Neville.”

Neville grinned. “Let’s go see if the girls are ready.”

They made their way down to the common room and stood around waiting with a lot of the older boys.

Parvati came down first. She was wearing bright pink robes with gold bracelets. Her long dark hair was braided with a gold ribbon.

“Hi,” Ron said awkwardly. “You look really nice.”

“Thanks,” she said smiling. “Shall we go down, then?”

Ron and Parvati had just made it out of the common room when Anna and Ginny came down together.

Anna was wearing a red gown that was a bit too low cut in Neville’s opinion. Her hair was pulled back in a French twist with a few wisps hanging down in long curls to frame her face. Neville recognized the hairstyle as something Litty had done over the summer for fun. A ruby and diamond pendant was hanging from a gold chain around her neck to complete the outfit.

Ginny was wearing a dark green gown that Neville remembered Anna wearing the previous Christmas. It set off Ginny’s pale skin and red hair quite well. Her hair was in a complicated design of small braids pulled back in a loose bun. She was smiling nervously as she came down the last step.

“Ginny, you shouldn’t be looking like that!” Fred exclaimed in mock indignation. “My baby sister has no right to look so grown up. Anna, what have you done to her? And, don’t you need a shawl or something around your neck!” He was gesturing awkwardly at the top of Anna’s dress.

George stood beside his brother, shaking his head slightly. “Brother, I think it’s time to admit the truth. Gin-Gin is not so little anymore, and Anna well…wow!”

“You both look beautiful!” Neville said loudly, giving Harry a light jab to the ribs.

“Yes,” Harry agreed quickly. “Those are great dresses!”

The girls took the arms of their dates and slowly made their way down the stairs. Professor McGonagall was calling the champions over to her. They had to wait while everyone else entered the Great Hall. Hermione appeared suddenly wearing a light blue gown and an excited smile. Her hair was pulled back in an elegant knot. She walked up to Viktor Krum who smiled down at her and murmured something to her that made her blush.

The four champions and their partners waited until everyone else was settled in the Hall, then Professor McGonagall led them in. Everyone applauded as they made their way up to the large round table at the front of the Hall. The Heads of each school were sitting at the table, as well as Ludo Bagman and Percy Weasley, who was representing Barty Crouch. Percy began talking to Harry the moment they sat down.

Anna observed the Headmaster picking up his menu and ordering his meal by speaking clearly to his plate. She copied his example and soon had her dinner in front of her. Quietly, she murmured to Harry how to order his meal. He smiled gratefully and started eating the moment his food arrived. When the meal was finally over, it was time for the first dance of the evening.

All of the champions and their dates rose and entered the dance floor.

“Try to relax, Harry,” Anna murmured. “We practiced this the other night remember. Just move to the music.”

They managed the first dance quite well, and by the second dance, so many couples were around that it no longer mattered if they missed a step.

At the end of the song, Neville tapped Harry on the shoulder and quietly said, “Time to switch partners, Harry.”

Neville took Anna into his arms, as Harry began to dance with Ginny. She had a radiant smile on her face, and now that the stressful part of the evening was over, Harry seemed to relax quickly and really start to enjoy himself. Ginny was on her feet dancing the entire night, since besides Neville and Harry, the twins also each claimed a dance with their little sister. Anna was partnered not only with Harry, Neville, and Seamus, but also with Percy who talked about his work at the Ministry the entire time they were dancing.

Hermione was also kept busy dancing through the night by Viktor Krum, who was clearly a very attentive date. When they weren’t dancing, he was getting her a drink or murmuring in her ear. They even disappeared briefly out into the garden for some fresh air.

By the time the Weird Sisters announced the last song, most of the students were happily exhausted. Everyone seemed to have enjoyed a lovely evening, except perhaps Ron. He was sitting alone at a table glumly watching Hermione and Viktor by the last dance.

Back to index


Chapter 20: Chapter 20 The Second Task

Chapter 20
The Second Task

Anna was surprised when Hagrid was not there to teach the Care of Magical Creatures class. A woman identifying herself as Professor Grubbly-Plank was teaching in his place. Anna looked at Neville with concern.

“Hagrid’s never missed a class,” she murmured.

Neville shrugged. “He might be ill or something.”

Despite her concern for their missing teacher, the lesson was quite wonderful. Professor Grubbly-Plank had a large unicorn and was explaining their extraordinary magical properties. She also warned the students rather sternly about the precautions that should be taken when working with unicorns. One of the most important facts about adult unicorns was that they were not comfortable around human males. Therefore, all of the boys were ordered back as the girls were encouraged to come forward to pet the unicorn. Anna and Hermione were glowing with excitement at having the opportunity to touch a unicorn when they rejoined Neville, Ron, and Harry at the end of the class.

“Wow, what a wonderful lesson,” Hermione enthused.

Anna nodded. “It was fabulous to be able to see and touch a unicorn. They are such majestic creatures!”

Her smile faded as she saw the grim looks on all three of the boys’ faces.

“Look at this!” Harry demanded, thrusting a copy of the Daily Prophet into Hermione’s hands.

Anna joined Hermione in quickly reading the article that had so obviously upset Harry. It was titled ‘Dumbledore’s Giant Mistake’ and was written by the journalist Rita Skeeter. Her mouth fell open in shock as she read.

“How did she find out Hagrid’s mum was a giantess?” Hermione wondered aloud.

Anna’s shocked eyes met Neville’s, who just shrugged.

“I don’t know how she found out,” Harry snarled. “But we’ve got to get Hagrid back to teaching lessons where he belongs!”

However, Hagrid did not return to lessons, and he did not open his door when they tried to visit. In fact, no one saw him at all over the next couple of weeks. He didn’t even seem to be doing his normal gamekeeper duties on the grounds.

*************************************************************************************

Anna was helping Ginny with her Ancient Runes homework in the common room one evening when Ron came over and announced that Hagrid would be back at work for their next lesson.

“What happened?” Ginny asked.

“Well,” Ron began with a grin. “Hermione started banging on Hagrid’s door, demanding that he open up and get over the whole ‘my mum was a giant’ thing, and start teaching again, and not let the horrible Rita Skeeter win by cheating him out of his job.”

Hermione sat down looking rather embarrassed. “Oh, do you have to tell about that part?”

“It was brilliant, Hermione!” Ron exclaimed. “So the door opened and Professor Dumbledore was standing there. He had been visiting Hagrid and heard everything Hermione yelled as she was banging on the door. He invited us all in for tea, and told Hagrid that we were proof that he should return to his work.”

“Well, it’s not like I thought the Headmaster could possibly be visiting Hagrid at that moment!” Hermione groaned.

Harry leaned against the back of the sofa. “The important part is that Hagrid will be back to teaching on Monday. We made it clear that he is not to blame for having a giantess for a mum. I mean no one is responsible for who their relatives are. Mine are certainly not great.”

Ginny smiled. “It will be nice to have Hagrid back!”

“Do you really believe that, Harry?” Anna asked quietly. “I mean that it’s not a person’s fault who their relatives are.”

“Of course,” Harry said. “It’s not Hagrid’s fault that his mum was a giant. It’s not Sirius’s fault that his whole family was dark. It’s not my fault that the Dursleys are so awful. Dumbledore says it’s all about our choices, the choices we make. Hagrid is kind and good to everyone. Sirius rebelled against his whole family to fight against Voldemort and the pure blood prejudice he was raised in. And, I’m nothing like my aunt and uncle!”

“I think we’re all just glad you’re not like your cousin Dudley!” Ron added, slapping Harry on the back.

They both laughed and walked off with Neville to start a game of exploding snap. Anna watched them leave and leaned back into the soft cushions of the sofa.

“Hermione,” Ginny began quietly glancing around. “I know it’s not my business or anything, but do you mind me asking about you and Viktor Krum?”

The older girl bit her lip and leaned forward. “What did you want to know?”

“What’s it like to be kissed?”

Hermione looked from Ginny to Anna, who was also very curious, though trying not to show it.

“Well, it’s quite nice actually,” Hermione said softly. “Viktor has definitely had some experience kissing, and he makes me feel so excited and wanted.”

“How do you know he has experience?” Ginny asked. “I mean besides the obvious that he’s a famous Quidditch player and girls probably throw themselves at him regularly.”

Hermione thought for a moment. “I guess because he wasn’t awkward at all. He supported the back of my neck with one hand and tilted his head so that we wouldn’t bump noses or anything. His lips were firm, but gentle. It was really just quite nice.” She was blushing now and shrugged her shoulders self-consciously.

“Do you want to kiss him again?” Anna asked.

“I don’t know,” she responded with a slight shake of the head. “I mean I like him, but he’s a few years older than me, and lives in a different country, and….” Her voice trailed off as she looked at Anna curiously. “Have you been kissed?”

“Only by Neville on the cheek, and I don’t think that counts!” Anna grinned. “Do you think Hagrid might continue the lessons on unicorns?”

“Oh, I hope so!” Hermione exclaimed.

They got their wish, as Hagrid did continue with lessons on unicorns. He even had two pure gold unicorn foals for class one day. They were less skittish than the adults and allowed the boys to pet them as well.

“They really are beautiful aren’t they,” Neville murmured as he stroked one. “Hard to imagine how magical they are; how a single unicorn hair powers my wand.”

“You power your wand, Neville,” Anna assured him. “The unicorn hair just focuses that power.”

He grinned and whispered, “Well, I’m glad we’re studying unicorns now instead of Blast-Ended Skrewts!”

*************************************************************************************

As the date for the second task of the Triwizard Tournament approached, Ginny noticed Harry becoming obviously stressed. He also seemed to be spending most of his spare time in the library with Hermione and Ron. She figured they were searching for something and by the looks on their faces, whatever information they were looking for was not easy to find.

The evening before the task, Harry came into the common room alone, loaded down with books from the library. He had a slightly wild look about him as he dumped the books on a table in the corner and began to skim through them. As people started wishing him luck and heading up to bed, Ginny glanced repeatedly at the portrait hole. Where were Ron and Hermione? Why was Harry working alone and looking so desperate?

Turning to Anna and Neville, Ginny exclaimed, “We’ve got to help Harry!” just as Anna asked, “Do you think Harry needs help?” Both girls sighed and smiled at each other briefly.

“Let’s go over and see if there’s anything we can do,” Neville suggested.

They approached Harry quietly. He was rapidly turning pages in a book.

“What are you looking for, Harry?” Anna inquired.

He glanced up at them hopelessly. “A way to breathe underwater, and there’s nothing here!” He slammed the book shut and reached for another.

“Is that the next task?” Ginny asked. “You have to stay underwater. Where? In the lake?”

“Yeah,” Harry groaned. “They’ve got something at the bottom of the lake, and I’ve got to get it back. Only I can’t find a spell to let me breathe underwater for an hour.”

Everyone was silent for a moment as Harry continued to turn the pages of the book.

“Gillyweed,” Neville said slowly. “We’ve got to find a way to get some gillyweed.”

“What’s that?” Harry looked up with tired eyes.

“It’s a plant. You can eat it and grow gills, kind of like a fish, and you’ll be able to breathe underwater,” Neville explained. “I don’t know exactly how long it would last, but it’s the only thing I can think of.”

“Where can we find gillyweed?” Ginny asked.

“There should be some in one of the greenhouses, but of course they’re all locked,” said Neville.

“Professor Snape might have some in his Potions cupboard,” Anna added.

“Thanks guys,” Harry exhaled. “I think I’ll sneak out to the greenhouses and look there first.”

“Wait, there’s got to be an easier way to find it than you searching through the greenhouses all night,” Ginny said.

Anna nodded. “She’s right Harry. You need to ask Dobby!”

“What?” Harry muttered in confused exhaustion.

“Call for Dobby,” Anna suggested. “Ask him to search for gillyweed and bring it to you. Tell him it will either be in one of the greenhouses or in the Potions cupboard. He can find it far more quickly than you can!”

Harry took a deep breath, exhaling slowly with his eyes closed. “Dobby!”

A loud crack echoed through the empty Gryffindor common room.

“Harry Potter sir,” Dobby squeaked. “Oh, Harry Potter has called for Dobby. How can Dobby help Harry Potter?”

“I need gillyweed, Dobby. It will be in one of the greenhouses or in the Potions cupboard,” Harry said. “Please bring it to me if you find it.”

“Yes, sir, Harry Potter,” Dobby exclaimed. “Dobby will find gillyweed!” He vanished with a sharp crack.

An exhausted Ginny was rubbing her head. “Harry,” she began. “You said they had something at the bottom of the lake. Who has what exactly?”

“Well, I think there are mermaids, and you know, merpeople at the bottom of the lake. They’ve taken something I will miss,” he explained. “That’s what the clue said.”

Anna looked at Ginny with frightened eyes. “Something…or someone?” she exclaimed as she turned to Harry. “Where are Ron and Hermione?”

Harry’s eyes widened. “They were in the library with me when Fred and George came to get them. That was hours ago. They said Professor McGonagall wanted to see them and that she looked a bit…grim.”

“Do you think Ron and Hermione have been taken by merpeople in the lake because they are something Harry would miss?” Neville asked peering at his cousin.

Ginny was shaking her head slowly. “No,” she whispered. “I think they took Ron as the thing that Harry would miss and Hermione as the thing that Viktor Krum would miss.”

“But, Hermione and Viktor hardly know each other,” Harry murmured.

“I don’t know about that. I think he might miss the girl he snogged at the Yule Ball,” Ginny said.

Harry’s eyes bulged and he opened his mouth just as Dobby arrived.

“Dobby found gillyweed, Harry Potter sir!” he exclaimed handing over a clump of slimy green stems.

Neville leaned forward to get a better look. “Yep, that’s definitely gillyweed. Good job, Dobby!”

“Thanks, Dobby!” Harry sighed gratefully as he looked from the mess of green in his hand to his roommate. “You’re sure this will work? It’ll let me breathe underwater?”

“Gillyweed will definitely work,” Neville assured him. “I don’t know how long it will last in a fresh water lake, but it will allow you to breathe for a while anyway.”

“I owe you one,” he murmured. “Thanks! All of you!”

The girls were nodding and smiling. Anna nudged Neville slightly. “Good night!” she said quietly. Neville took the hint quickly.

“Come on mate,” he took Harry by the arm. “It’s past time for bed. Big day tomorrow. Let’s try to get some sleep.”

Neville guided a clearly exhausted Harry up the stairs to the boys’ dorm room.

Ginny whimpered slightly the moment they were out of sight. “Do you really think Ron and Hermione are at the bottom of the lake being held by merpeople?”

Anna rubbed her eyes tiredly. “I don’t know what to think. But, surely they are okay. I mean this is a planned tournament. The headmaster and other professors must be keeping them safe.”

“Yeah,” Ginny murmured. “Everyone did such a great job keeping students safe my first year here.”

Anna pressed her lips together hard. She didn’t know what to say. There was nothing to say. Arm in arm the girls walked slowly up the stairs.

*************************************************************************************

The morning of the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, the boys in Harry’s dorm let him sleep in as long as possible. Neville whispered to them that Harry had been up late, and Seamus and Dean made an effort to be quiet. They even brought back a small stack of toast from the Great Hall to give to Harry when they woke him up.

Arriving at the lake, Neville knew they had been correct. Someone important to each champion had been taken and was being held by the merpeople at the bottom of the lake. He watched anxiously as Harry shoved the gillyweed into his mouth and tried to chew it for a moment before forcibly swallowing.

For one terrible moment, Neville was afraid the gillyweed had not worked. Then, he saw Harry dive suddenly under the water and not emerge from the lake’s freezing depths. The wait for the spectators was quite difficult. Anna and Ginny were standing beside him, holding hands, still and silent as they stared at the cold, dark water.

Suddenly the Beauxbatons’ champion, Fleur Delacour, emerged shrieking from the lake. She had been attacked by grindylow and was quite hysterical in her concern for her younger sister, Gabrielle. Her face and arms were covered in many small cuts and her robes were badly torn, but she just kept shrieking for Gabrielle and staring into the dark water of the lake.

Cedric was the next champion to emerge from the frigid waters. He had a sputtering Cho Chang beside him, who stopped coughing quickly and was soon looking at him with open admiration in her gaze. Madam Pomfrey covered them both quickly with warm blankets and was casting spells to make sure they were both okay when Krum suddenly appeared with Hermione. The sight of a being who was half shark and half human climbing out of the lake was alarming, and the crowd let out a collective sigh of relief when Krum returned to his normal human form. Madam Pomfrey threw blankets over their shoulders and cast quick spells to confirm their overall health.

The crowd’s attention returned to the lake as everyone watched the minutes slowly tick by. Harry and two hostages were beneath the still, black water.

“Where are they?” Ginny moaned softly.

“The professors aren’t panicking,” Anna murmured. “They must still be okay.” She glanced at Neville desperately to confirm this, and he nodded staring at the Headmaster.

Suddenly, the crowd started screaming and cheering, and Neville exhaled loudly in relief as he saw Harry, Ron, and a young girl, who must be Gabrielle, swimming slowly to the shore.

Ginny and Anna were squealing and hugging each other as the three were pulled out of the water and examined quickly by a rather frustrated Madam Pomfrey. She was wrapping the last three in blankets and forcing Pepperup Potion down their throats, while muttering about ‘dangerous tournaments’.

As Ludo Bagman called out the results of the contest and awarded points to each champion, those who knew Harry well were not surprised to hear that he was the first to reach the hostages, nor that he was the last out of the water because of his determination to bring all of the hostages safely to shore.

“He really does have a ‘saving people’ thing,” Ginny murmured.

Neville and Anna both smiled at her as they heard Ron loudly proclaim that Harry wasn’t being thick, he was just showing moral fiber.

*************************************************************************************

Bill arrived at the small tavern in Thessaly a few minutes before he was supposed to meet Charlie. They had been meeting at this quiet little place in Greece a couple of times a year for the last few years. It was a small magical community in the Chasia Mountains. Bill liked it because it was the kind of place where they would not be too closely noticed, even with their red hair. These were people who kept to themselves.

Charlie walked in, smiled at his brother, and purchased a bottle of tsipouro which he brought to the table along with a couple of glasses. Bill gave his brother a quick hug, and they both sat down and began drinking.

“Good to see you Charlie,” Bill said easily. “Sorry we couldn’t meet in December like we planned. That tomb we discovered was something else, and after Phil suffered that burn. Well, I just couldn’t get away for a while.”

“Not a problem,” Charlie said with a grin. “You heard all about the first task of the Triwizard Tournament, right?”

“Yeah,” Bill laughed. “Between Ron and Ginny, I think I got a fairly accurate account of how amazing Harry was -- and the other champions apparently managed well enough.”

“They did,” Charlie admitted taking a long drink from his glass. “We did lose some dragon eggs, though. The champions weren’t prepped well enough, and Nicolas was not told that the eggs would be vulnerable the way they were. He’s not too pleased with the British Ministry at the moment.”

“I hope your boss doesn’t blame you,” Bill said. “I mean you had no idea what they were planning.”

“No,” Charlie replied. “He knows I never would have okayed such a thing. Tell me more about what you’re doing in Egypt now.”

As Bill talked about his work in the tombs, both men drank until the waiter came over and took their order for the lamb stew and psomi. The rich stew and bread helped them remain relatively sober as they continued to drink their way through the bottle of tsipouro.

“So, how’s your girlfriend?” Bill asked. “Katerina, right?”

Charlie emptied his glass before looking up at his brother. “I broke up with Katerina.”

Bill stilled. “How long ago?” he asked.

“A while ago,” his brother admitted quietly, refilling both of their glasses and setting down the empty bottle. “September.”

“Charlie, what the hell…” Bill sighed in exasperation. He didn’t know how to finish the sentence.

“I know you don’t understand,” Charlie said quietly. “Truthfully, neither do I.” He took another sip of his drink. “She’s in my dreams all the time now. It’s not usually like before. Mostly, it’s really innocent. We’re flying in the orchard at the Burrow or swimming in the pond. Sometimes we’re just walking through a glen.”

“Merlin! She’s fifteen!”

Charlie nodded. “And I’m staying away from her. I’ve never even touched her hand.”

Bill took a slow breath staring at his brother. “I know you’ve done nothing wrong, Charlie. I just don’t understand what’s going on with you. Maybe it would be better if you were dating someone. If not Katerina, find another woman…”

“I’m not interested,” he said quietly. “Not remotely interested in anyone else. I’ve put in for a transfer to the Welsh Green Sanctuary or the Hebridean Black Sanctuary. It could be a few years before I get a spot of course. Openings don’t occur that often, but I’ll be back in Britain sometime soon.”

Bill’s mind raced as he drained his glass. None of this made sense. Charlie had dreamed of working in Romania, where they had a dozen different dragon species, since he was a sixth year at Hogwarts. Neither of the reserves in Britain had more than the single dragon species for which they were named. Setting down his empty glass, Bill looked at his brother. He truly didn’t understand and didn’t know what to say.

“Mum and Dad will be glad to have you home,” he finally said.

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed. “Please, don’t say anything though. It really could be a few years before the transfer goes through.”

Bill nodded silently.

Back to index


Chapter 21: Chapter 21 Speculations and Fears

Author's Notes: I want to sincerely thank everyone for reading, reviewing, personal messaging me, and generally helping me with this project. Also, a special thank you to my wonderful husband who has encouraged me to write this and enjoyed editing every chapter.


Chapter 21
Speculations and Fears

In the weeks following the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, Ron was able to retell the thrilling story of being kept at the bottom of the lake surrounded by merpeople many times. He was also credited with helping Harry rescue Fleur Delacour’s little sister, Gabrielle, and bring her safely to shore. Ginny was amused to see her brother glowing in the attention of being in the limelight. Parvati had been particularly interested in the story and impressed by Ron’s participation in such a gossip worthy event.

Far less amusing was the speculation concerning why Hermione had been the person Viktor Krum would miss the most. An article, entitled ‘Harry Potter’s Secret Heartache’ by Rita Skeeter had come out in Witch Weekly. The article basically accused Hermione of using Love Potions to capture the interest of first Harry and then Viktor. It also described Harry as being heart broken by his girlfriend’s deception.

Ginny knew this was ridiculous of course. Hermione and Harry had never dated. Viktor Krum was the one pursuing Hermione, not the other way around. According to the article, he had invited her to visit him in Bulgaria over the summer holidays. When Ginny asked Hermione about it, she had admitted to the invitation. She did not state whether or not she would be going. Ginny had heard some rather odd and confusing gossip among the older girls about the relationship between Hermione and Viktor. She had briefly considered discussing it with Anna and then decided she was simply too embarrassed to bring it up. Instead, she wrote a letter to her mother telling her about the second task and adding her thoughts about how unfair it was for a journalist to write such lies about Harry and Hermione.

It was early March when they were allowed to go into Hogsmeade for the day. Ginny walked in a large group with Neville, Anna, Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It was an oddly warm day, and everyone had taken off their cloaks by the time they arrived in the village.

“I want to buy some socks for Dobby,” Harry decided. “They’re his favorite type of clothes, and I owe him for finding that gillyweed.”

They all went into Gladrags Wizardwear to look for some socks for Dobby.

“What do you think of these?” Neville asked holding up a wonderful pair of gray-green socks with clouds and lightning bolts on them.

Harry grinned and nodded. “Yeah, he’ll like those.”

Hermione found a pair of socks with gold and silver stars, and Ron insisted they purchase a pair that screamed when they became smelly. Harry was pleased with all of the socks and was sure Dobby would like them.

From there, they separated into two groups. Harry, Ron, and Hermione said they had an errand to run and would see them later at the castle. Neville led Anna and Ginny to the Three Broomsticks for lunch. They joined Seamus and Dean at a large table in the corner.

“Where’s Lavender?” Neville asked as they sat down.

“Off shopping with Parvati,” Seamus answered. “First we went to Gladrags, then to Dervish and Banges, and when they decided to go into Scrivenshaft’s Quill Shop, we came in here. Those girls can spend more time in stores than I ever would’ve thought possible. I’m sure they’ll join us eventually.”

Neville smiled and went to order fish and chips with butterbeers for himself and the girls.

“So, where’ve you been so far?” Seamus asked.

“Just to Gladrags,” Anna answered. “We’ll have to stop off at Honeydukes after lunch.”

“Good, we’ll come along with you,” Seamus decided. “It’s the one place we haven’t been that I for one want to visit.”

Anna nodded, as Neville returned with their drinks. The group was talking about their classes and the excessive number of essays they had to complete, when a very flustered Lavender and Parvati came up to the table. They sat down with frustrated huffs.

“What’s wrong?” Seamus inquired solicitously, putting his arm loosely around Lavender.

“It’s that Pansy Parkinson,” Lavender bit out. “She…”

Parvati shook her head warningly. “Lav!”

Her friend sighed loudly. “Perhaps you gentlemen could get us ladies some butterbeer.”

The boys all looked at each other and stood up as one to leave the table.

Once they were out of hearing range, Lavender leaned in to whisper. “Pansy is implying that Hermione… well…you know…took care of Viktor Krum!” She nodded meaningfully.

“Hermione, what?” Anna asked looking genuinely confused, which was a great comfort to Ginny.

“You know!” Lavender quietly insisted. “Pansy is saying Hermione…satisfied Krum, and that’s why she was at the bottom of the lake, as the thing he would miss the most!”

Ginny glanced from Lavender to Anna, who was biting her lip and appearing very perplexed indeed.

“What do you mean by satisfied Krum?” she inquired, keeping her voice soft.

Lavender looked with wide eyes at Parvati, who simply shrugged. “I told you it was nonsense. They don’t even know what you’re talking about!”

“That doesn’t mean Hermione doesn’t know,” Lavender muttered. “I mean it’s always the quiet ones!”

“What are you talking about?” Ginny asked.

Lavender stared at her for a moment. “Do you know what happened between Hermione and Viktor Krum at the Yule Ball?”

“Yes, of course,” Ginny answered, blushing slightly. “Hermione told us they kissed out in the garden.”

“Is that really the only thing that happened?” Parvati inquired.

Ginny nodded. “Well, I mean they danced, but everyone saw that.”

“Nothing else happened?” Lavender asked. “I know Pansy can’t be trusted at all, but she’s saying that Hermione did a bit more than just kiss Krum on the lips.”

Anna sighed quietly. “I’m quite sure nothing else happened. Hermione told us all about it. They shared a kiss. It was entirely innocent. Viktor Krum is clearly very interested in Hermione, but nothing inappropriate occurred between them.”

“I knew Pansy was just lying and trying to cause trouble,” Lavender hissed angrily, crossing her arms in front of her and leaning back in the seat.

Neville slowly approached the table, with Seamus and Dean right behind him. “We have more butterbeer,” he said hesitantly.

“Thank you, Neville,” Anna said. “I rather wish it was wine.”

The boys sat down and talk turned to the final task of the Triwizard Tournament.

*************************************************************************************

Anna had hoped nothing more would come of the article in Witch Weekly. Unfortunately, owls began to arrive for Hermione at breakfast the next day. She received letters calling her various unkind names, as well as a few unspecified threats and warnings of dire consequences for her actions. Her hands even swelled up horribly after she opened a letter filled with undiluted bubotuber pus. She had rushed off to the hospital wing, missing her first two lessons of the day, Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures.

Anna was disappointed for Hermione that she missed the Care of Magical Creatures lesson. Hagrid had finished the unit on unicorns and prepared an unusually exciting lesson involving nifflers, which he explained were extraordinarily talented at finding gold and other valuable objects. The nifflers were cute little creatures with long, pointed snouts and black, fluffy fur. He had prepared a simple competition to see whose niffler could find the most leprechaun gold buried in the garden. Anna’s niffler had been rather affectionate, and she enjoyed petting it and playing with it as much as watching it burrow in the ground for the missing treasure. Ron’s niffler had been particularly good at quickly digging up the gold buried throughout the garden and bringing it back to him. At the end of the lesson, Ron was awarded a large bar of Honeydukes chocolate since his niffler found the most treasure.

Hermione was frustrated she had missed the lesson and was determined to learn how the journalist Rita Skeeter had come by her information and caused so much trouble, not only for herself and Harry, but also for Hagrid.

“I just don’t understand how she can be learning so much private information and quoting conversations that she can’t possibly have heard because she was nowhere in sight!” Hermione explained one evening after they finally finished their latest translation for Ancient Runes. “There was no one near us when Viktor asked me to come to Bulgaria. He purposely pulled me aside so that we could speak privately.”

“Well, we know Dumbledore banned Rita Skeeter from Hogwarts months ago. Professor Moody told you he didn’t see her anywhere around when Viktor pulled you out of the water, so that rules out the use of an Invisibility Cloak,” Anna said. “Could she be using some kind of charm?”

“Possibly,” Hermione muttered. “I looked up Disillusionment Charms in the library, but when a person Disillusions themselves they are still generally somewhat visible, especially if they are moving around. And, she had to be moving around, and following us to be close enough to hear our conversation.”

“That’s true, and again Professor Moody would have noticed something. He wasn’t standing very far from you and that magical eye of his doesn’t seem to miss much. I don’t suppose there’s any kind of long-distance listening charm, is there?” Anna asked, then shook her head tiredly. “Please forget I said that. I know there can’t possibly be.”

Hermione smiled. “Harry suggested I might have been bugged — you know, a muggle electronic device that allows people to listen in on conversations.” She sighed. “But of course, muggle technology doesn’t work here. All of the magic in the air around Hogwarts would never allow for such a thing.”

Anna nodded, glancing around the emptying common room. “I need to tell you something,” she said softly. “Please try not to get upset, but Pansy Parkinson has apparently been spreading rumors about you and Viktor Krum. She said some things to Lavender and Parvati the other day. It sounded like Pansy was hinting that you and Viktor have been doing a bit more than just kissing.”

A deep blush appeared on Hermione’s cheeks. “How much more than kissing?”

“I don’t know,” Anna admitted. “I didn’t really want to ask, especially with Ginny there as well. Anyways, Ginny told them that you did kiss Viktor but that was all, and I agreed with her. We didn’t mean to confirm anything, but…”

“No, I understand.” Hermione crossed her arms. “It was better that you told them the truth rather than acting as though Viktor and I weren’t involved at all. That would have just made them more suspicious. Do you think Lavender and Parvati believed you?”

She nodded solemnly. “Yes, I really do. They didn’t want to believe it in the first place. Everyone knows how rude Pansy can be. Lavender was quite angry on your behalf. She just needed to hear it from us that nothing more had happened.”

Hermione smiled. “Thanks for sticking up for me. I would thank Ginny as well, but I’m not sure I really want to bring it up.”

“Quite understandable,” Anna agreed. She took a deep breath and glanced around the room again. “Could I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Well…” She bit her lip and blushed slightly. “Do you know what they might have meant? About you having satisfied Viktor?”

Hermione’s blush intensified. “I can well imagine!” She looked at Anna for a moment. “Don’t you know?”

“I’m not completely sure,” Anna admitted. “My grandmother didn’t really talk about things like that. I mean she explained the basics when I was about ten, but it was really basic, mostly just about what to expect with puberty and general anatomy. My dad told me I wasn’t allowed to date just before I started here at Hogwarts, but that was all he ever said about that sort of thing, and I think he may have been joking. Aunt Augusta has never said anything.” She shrugged self-consciously.

Hermione took her hand. “I have a book upstairs my mum sent me after I wrote to her about Viktor kissing me. You can borrow it. It’s a muggle book of course, so you can skip the contraception section since it’s different for us. I think most of the information in the book is pretty good though.”

“Thanks, Hermione,” she murmured.

“Not a problem.”

*************************************************************************************

Ginny looked up from her reading as Harry rushed into the common room and headed directly for Ron and Hermione. He seemed agitated about something.

“Come on,” she said to Anna and Neville. She stood up and went to join the other three.

“…Mr. Crouch wasn’t really making much sense most of the time. He seemed sick or confused, but he was desperate to talk to Professor Dumbledore, and now he’s disappeared or something!” Harry exclaimed.

“What did he want to tell the Headmaster?” Hermione asked anxiously.

“I’m not sure exactly. He was talking about needing to warn Dumbledore, and that he’d done something stupid, and he said that Voldemort was getting stronger. Mr. Crouch kept getting confused though. Sometimes he was talking like he was at work giving orders to Percy. It was really odd,” Harry said.

“You said he disappeared,” Ginny said. “What do you think happened to him?”

Harry shrugged and ran a hand through his hair. “I don’t know. I left him with Viktor Krum and ran off to get help. It took me a while to actually get to the Headmaster. I didn’t know the password to get into his office. Then, I had a bit of a run in with Snape. By the time Professor Dumbledore and I got back to the woods, Krum was Stunned and Crouch was gone.”

“Is Viktor alright?” Hermione inquired.

“Yeah, he’s fine,” Harry assured her. “Professor Dumbledore used a spell to wake him and other than rubbing his head a bit, he really seemed okay.”

“So, now the Headmaster’s searching the woods for Crouch?” Ron asked, glancing out the window.

Harry nodded. “Yeah I think so. Professor Moody was there too. He set off to look in the woods, while Dumbledore was still dealing with Karkaroff. He was pretty angry about Krum being attacked, kept going on about sabotage, and the British ministry trying to prevent his student from winning the tournament.”

“Well, it is odd that Krum was Stunned,” Neville said. “I mean either Mr. Crouch attacked him or someone else attacked both of them. Right?”

“Yeah,” Harry agreed. “Oh, by the way...Hermione? Hagrid might be having a talk with you about Viktor Krum. He was pretty upset that I was in the woods alone with Krum, and when he asked what we were talking about, and I answered that it was you, well…he was not very happy.” Harry was blushing slightly and shrugged awkwardly as he finished talking.

Hermione nodded, blushing as well, as she pressed her lips together.

Ron’s eyes were wide as he looked from one to the other. “Well, what were you and Krum saying about Hermione anyway?” he demanded.

“He just wanted to know if Hermione and I had ever dated or anything,” Harry replied. “I told him we’re just friends and that’s it! He was actually perfectly amiable after that. I mean, he was complimenting me on my flying and how I handled the dragon during the first task and all.”

Everyone was quiet for a moment. Then, Neville spoke up. “So, Harry, if it’s not a secret, what is the third task?”

“A maze,” Harry answered. “They have a huge maze of hedges growing out on the Quidditch field. It’s going to be filled with creatures and various obstacles. The first champion to reach the center gets the Triwizard Cup and wins the tournament. Cedric and I will be entering first since we’re tied on points for first place right now. Then Krum will go in followed by Fleur.”

“We’ll have to start practicing,” Hermione murmured, nodding slowly. “I wonder what spells would be best to learn.”

After a brief discussion, Hermione had a list that included the Stunning Spell, Impediment Curse, Reductor Curse, Four-point Spell, and Shield Charm. Ginny hoped it would be enough to get Harry safely through the final task.

*************************************************************************************

Albus walked the length of his office, turned swiftly, and walked in the other direction. His phoenix, Fawkes, watched him pace as he sat regally on his perch.

“Do you believe he’s coming back, Albus?” Minerva asked apprehensively, as she observed her old friend. She had rarely seen him look so worried.

He nodded tiredly. “All of the signs are there. Bertha Jorkins vanished where Voldemort was last rumored to dwell. As a ministry employee, she could have given him a great deal of useful information.” He stroked his beard absently. “Now Barty Crouch has disappeared under very mysterious circumstances after having been absent for months, apparently suffering from a serious illness. And, a muggle by the name of Frank Bryce has gone missing from the village where Voldemort’s father was raised.”

“What was Harry able to tell you about Crouch? Surely he said something,” Minerva insisted.

Albus halted his restless pacing and stood still, focusing his attention on his colleague. “Harry said Barty wanted to warn me and that he’d done something terrible. Barty mentioned Bertha as well as his son. He said Voldemort was getting stronger. Harry was also quite clear that Barty was acting abnormally. He seemed confused and was calmly giving directions to Percy Weasley about office matters in between his ramblings about needing to speak to me and needing to warn me.”

“It sounds as though he may have been under the Imperius Curse for a prolonged period,” she murmured.

“Those were my thoughts as well.” He rubbed his hands together in an agitated way. “Of course, we cannot prove anything at this point, and we have no idea where Barty is now.”

“And, how did Cornelius react when you told him?”

“Complete and utter denial, naturally,” Albus shook his head. “The minister refused to acknowledge the possibility of a connection between the disappearances, and he suggested that Barty may have been attacked by Madame Maxime.”

She sighed loudly. “I suppose he is suspicious of her solely based upon the fact that she is a half-giant.”

“Of course.”

“It does feel the same way as when he last rose to power,” she admitted quietly. “People disappearing, the ministry unwilling to react quickly enough to the growing threat. What can we do?”

“Besides watch and wait?” Albus inquired. “I truly don’t know. He may be trying to return to a more physical form. If he accomplishes that, I imagine he will be able to regain his former power rather quickly.”

“Merlin help us all,” Minerva murmured.

Back to index


Chapter 22: Chapter 22 The Maze

Author's Notes: A huge thank you to Arnel for finding and helping me correct numerous mistakes in this chapter. Clearly, I have several issues with correct comma usage!


Chapter 22
The Maze

Bill strolled along the wide corridor at Hogwarts with his mother. It was good to be back in his old school. He glanced around smiling at the old familiar portraits remembering his years there. His mum was all excited smiles and ‘oh, I remember when.’ She had been thrilled to get the invitation to come and support Harry on his last task of the Triwizard Tournament. Bill was happy to be the one to accompany her. He was eager to see the school again, as well as his siblings and their friends.

Walking into a small chamber off of the Great Hall, he was momentarily dazzled by the sight of a beautiful young woman talking with her parents and younger sister. She had long, flowing silvery blonde hair, lovely blue eyes, and an unidentifiable allure. As her mother turned, recognition hit him forcefully. The mother was undoubtedly part Veela. That explained it. He stared into the fireplace for a moment, focusing and getting his bearings.

Harry walked in, looking surprised but happy to see them waiting for him. His mum pulled him into a quick hug and kissed his cheek. Bill shook his hand.

“How are you, Harry?” he smiled. “Charlie told me about how well you did with the Hungarian Horntail. He was really impressed.”

“Thanks,” Harry replied. “It’s really nice of you to come.”

“It’s wonderful to see the old place again,” Mum said. “Will you take us around for a tour of the grounds, Harry?”

“Sure,” he smiled hesitantly and walked with them outside. He showed them the huge Beauxbatons carriage, the Durmstrang ship, and the Whomping Willow as they meandered their way slowly about the grounds and around the lake.

His mother asked the occasional question, and the three shared a few stories as they walked. Bill was glad to have another opportunity to get to know Harry a bit better. He was also slightly sad to observe how much Harry seemed to enjoy this little taste of family attention he was receiving from them. It made it rather clear to Bill that his parents weren’t exaggerating when they made disparaging remarks about his relatives.

They returned to the castle for lunch and met up with his brothers and sister.

“How’ve you been, Ginny?” Bill asked as he picked her up in a big hug.

“Good,” she whispered, squeezing him tightly. “It’s so great to see you!”

Mum was smiling and hugging each of her sons in turn. Her smile slipped as she was talking to Ron about his History of Magic exam. Bill shook his head slightly in exasperation at his youngest brother’s blasé comment about not remembering the names of all of the goblin leaders and making some of them up.

Hermione wandered over to say hello, as well as Neville and Anna. His mother immediately engaged Hermione in conversation, and was soon nodding and smiling.

Bill turned to Neville and Anna. “I understand you got an up close look at all of the dragons after the first task,” he mentioned casually.

“Yeah, it was amazing!” Neville replied enthusiastically. “I mean I can’t imagine working with them. I definitely prefer plants, but it was great to be able to see them like that.”

“What about you, Anna?” he asked. “Did you enjoy seeing the dragons?”

She smiled and nodded. “It was very kind of Charlie to invite us to see them. They are rather terrifying, of course, but he told us about how each species is unique and about what good mothers they are. Charlie really seems to love his job.”

Bill nodded thoughtfully. “Yes, he does.”

Lunch was over far too quickly, and everyone except Harry had to hurry off to exams. Harry showed them around the castle that afternoon, but became quieter as time passed. Bill figured Harry was starting to get a bit nervous about the task ahead of him. At least it would be over soon.

During the evening feast, Harry didn’t eat much, and Bill spent most of his time talking to Fred and George. He still marveled at the way they could complete each other’s sentences, and laughed at their many jokes. It was good to see his siblings happy at Hogwarts and surrounded by their numerous friends.

All too soon, the announcement was made to begin making their way down to the Quidditch field for the final task of the Triwizard Tournament.

Harry had gone ahead with the other champions to receive final instructions. The rest of them made their way into the stands and waited. After everyone was settled, Ludo Bagman began to announce the event and send the champions into the maze. Bill glanced over at his sister and saw that Ginny was holding hands with Anna as they both stared solemnly into the entrance of the maze and prepared to wait.

*************************************************************************************

Cedric entered the maze with Harry and quickly muttered ‘Lumos’. The tall, thick hedges made the maze incredibly dark and cast shadows everywhere. As they separated to follow different paths, he heard a whistle blow and knew that Viktor had entered the maze as well.

He hurried along the path and suddenly came upon a Blast-Ended Skrewt. It was enormous, perhaps ten feet long, and scuttled along on its many legs far more quickly than he had thought possible. Cedric sent a rapid barrage of spells at the beast, all of which seemed to bounce off the hard shell. Growing desperate as sparks flew from the creature, catching his robes on fire, he finally managed to hit the soft underbelly, stopping its forward movement. Quickly casting a water charm at his flaming robes, he ran down the path and almost collided with Harry.

“Hagrid’s Blast-Ended Skrewts are in here!” he exclaimed as he continued to move rapidly away from the dangerous animal.

Cedric hadn’t gone far when he was suddenly caught by vines snaking their way around his legs and pulling him over. Falling to the ground, he recognized the plant as Devil’s Snare, and quickly cast the brightest light he could at the aggressive vines wrapping about his lower body. They slowly retreated away from the light, releasing him, so he could crawl away.

Looking around wildly, he rose and stumbled off to the left, almost falling into some sort of swamp. Gasping, he cast a hasty Levitation Charm on himself to float over the swamp and landed more roughly than he intended on the other side. Pausing for a moment, he tried to get his bearings. He had absolutely no idea what direction he was currently moving in, or where the center of the maze might be.

He took a few deep breaths and then started moving again, more slowly and cautiously this time. He was constantly having to make turns as the maze split into multiple directions. Going to the right he found that a huge snake was coiled before him. Yellow eyes glittered in its raised head as it prepared to strike. ‘Diffindo’ he yelled trying to cut the animal before he realized it had to be a Boggart. Exhaling rapidly, he shouted ‘Riddikulus’ and sighed in relief as the snake shrunk rapidly and disappeared from view.

Running ahead, Cedric paused briefly when he heard a horrified scream. It was definitely a woman’s voice, and he knew that Fleur must be in trouble. Cringing, he looked about wildly, wondering if there was any way to get to her and help her, but he knew he could never hope to find her in this maze.

Suddenly, he came upon a sphinx pacing before him blocking the way forward. Her large lioness body and predatory human female face made him extremely wary. He listened to the riddle twice before backing away slowly. There had to be another way around. He retraced his steps and took another path which led directly to Viktor Krum.

Cedric was about to warn him about the sphinx when Krum pulled his wand and yelled, ‘Crucio.’ The pain was overwhelming, like nothing he had ever experienced. It was knives piercing his skin, heat burning every part of his body. He fell to the ground, no longer in any control of his trembling body. The pain stopped suddenly, and he heard Harry yelling ‘Stupefy.’

“Are you okay?” Harry asked, grabbing Cedric by the arm.

He nodded, unable to speak for a moment. “I can’t…can’t believe he…he did that.”

Harry helped pull him up to a standing position. “Did you hear Fleur earlier? I think she was screaming, but I didn’t know where she was.”

“Yeah,” he murmured. “I heard her. I just didn’t know how to help her in this maze.”

Harry nodded. “One of us needs to send up red sparks so they come for Krum and take him out of the maze.”

Cedric sighed loudly, knowing Harry was right, but still feeling the pain of the curse Krum had hit him with. “I’ll do it,” he said quietly, holding his wand up and sending red sparks into the sky.

He and Harry separated again, moving deeper into the maze. He came to a dead end and had to retrace his steps before choosing another path. Turning a corner too quickly, he walked directly into a mist that lifted him high into the air and left him suspended upside down. Breathing rapidly, he tried to think of what this obstacle could possibly be and how to free himself from it. Closing his eyes, he finally just tried to run and found himself on the ground with his legs crumpled beneath him. Cedric knew he had landed badly and felt unsteady as he tried to rise and move forward. His legs were shaking badly as he stumbled forward awkwardly.

“Cedric, look out!”

He heard Harry’s warning and glanced rapidly about until his eyes landed on an enormous spider approaching quickly from his left. Jumping out of its way, his shoulder collided painfully with the thick, prickly hedges and his wand fell from his hand. Harry was yelling curses at the gigantic spider, slowing its menacing advance. Cedric quickly grabbed his wand and joined him in shouting ‘Stupefy’ and ‘Impedimenta.’ The giant spider moved away from him to attack Harry, lifting him high into the air.

“Expelliarmus!” Harry shouted, and miraculously the spider dropped him. They both yelled ‘Stupefy’ at the same time, and their combined spells finally subdued the huge arachnid.

Harry scrambled back to his feet, and they both stared around them warily for a moment. Cedric saw the Triwizard Cup in the open space behind him.

“Take it,” Harry muttered, pointing at the cup. “You’re closest. Go ahead and take it.”

Cedric turned and looked at the cup, and all of the longing to be the Triwizard Tournament Winner seemed to evaporate from his mind. He sat down roughly, allowing his battered body to collapse on the ground.

“No,” he said firmly. “You saved me twice in here. I’m done. I don’t care anymore. Take the cup and end this. I’d like to see Madam Pomfrey for a few potions and my girlfriend for a long kiss.”

“We both made it through, and you just saved me by Stunning that spider,” Harry said. “Let’s take it together.”

Cedric shook his head. “No thanks, Harry. I really am done. Grab the cup and end this, please!” He was sprawled on the ground, the pain from the Cruciatus Curse still throbbing through his body.

“We can tie. We can win it together; both of us,” Harry repeated offering his hand to help pull Cedric up.

He sat up and looked at the offered hand. “Alright, then,” he decided with a weary smile, taking Harry’s hand and clambering back up on his feet.

Together they walked over to the cup and each grasped a handle at the same time. The sudden feeling of being jerked through space was startling. Through the swirl of color and rush of wind, Cedric could see that Harry was still with him.

They landed in a dark, desolate place. Glancing around quickly, he realized they were nowhere near Hogwarts. There were no mountains to be seen here. They appeared to be in a small cemetery. He could see a little country church nearby.

“Did you know the cup was a Portkey?” Cedric asked Harry.

“No,” he murmured, looking around just as Cedric had done.

Both champions had their wands out as they began to move slowly trying to get their bearings and decide what to do.

“Someone’s coming,” Harry said suddenly.

Approaching them slowly, walking between the graves, was a short, hooded man who seemed to be holding something in his arms.

“Who is that?” Cedric murmured, squinting in an effort to see the person more clearly in the darkness.

Suddenly Harry collapsed to the ground, holding his head in obvious pain. “Go, get help! Go!” The last word was barely a whimper.

Cedric stared at him for a mere second and twisted on the spot with no clear destination in mind other than getting to Hogwarts for help.

He hit the ground hard, screaming in agony, as he glanced around wildly. His head was fuzzy and he was having difficulty seeing, but he could make out a building next to him, and as he lowered his gaze to his body, blood… so much blood.

*************************************************************************************

Martha Puddifoot cautiously opened her door holding her lit wand before her. It was a dark, quiet night in the small village of Hogsmeade. She was tired and had been about to get ready for bed, when she heard someone or something outside her parlor window. Peering into the darkness, she saw a figure sprawled out on the ground. Hurrying over, she reached him and knelt to touch his face. The boy was alive, but clearly injured. He was bleeding heavily from the left leg. Pressing her lips together hard to keep composed, she conjured a cloth to wrap tightly around his leg, securing it hastily with a Sticking Charm. Focusing again on his face, she felt sure she had seen him before in her tea shop. He was a Hogwarts student and had come in with a pretty little dark-haired girl.

Standing up, she thought about what she should do now. He needed proper medical care as soon as possible, and she couldn’t very well leave him alone on the ground. Nodding to herself, she carefully levitated him into her house and lowered him gently onto her thickly carpeted floor. She had been about to put him on the sofa, but if he rolled off, he would hurt himself even more. Grabbing a pillow, she carefully slid it under his head.

The boy stirred, moaning in pain, and gazed up at her with unfocused eyes. “Hogwarts,” he murmured. “Need help…had to go…get help.” He was trying to sit up, but was so pale, she feared he would lose consciousness again.

Pressing him back down gently, she tried to reassure him. “You’re okay now. I know you’re from Hogwarts. You need to be still now. You’re injured. Do you remember what happened? How did you get hurt?”

He opened his mouth clearly struggling to respond. “App…Apparated…need help…Professor D…Dumbledore.” His words were a bit slurred, but understandable.

She nodded. “I’m going to go get some help. I’ll be back soon. Try not to move.”

He nodded slightly and seemed to relax a bit, even as he winced.

Hurrying out the door, Martha made her way down the dark path to The Three Broomsticks and rushed into the tavern.

“Oh, thank Merlin! Rosmerta, I need your help,” she said desperately grabbing her friend’s hand.

Rosmerta looked up startled. “Martha! What is it? What’s happened?”

“I found a boy from Hogwarts on the ground outside my place. He’s injured, bleeding heavily from the leg. I think he may have Splinched himself trying to Apparate,” she was gasping slightly as she tried to explain as quickly as possible.

“Oh, no! We need to notify Albus,” Rosmerta exclaimed. “Do you know who the boy is?”

Martha shook her head. “I recognize him. I know he’s been in my shop, but I don’t recall his name.”

“I’ll send word up to the castle and then come to your place,” she promised.

“Thank you, Rosmerta,” Martha called, quickly exiting the tavern to get back to the injured boy lying on the floor of her parlor.

*************************************************************************************

Professor Dumbledore looked down at the hastily written note, confusion writ on his face. Madam Rosmerta had sent an eagle owl with the message that a boy from Hogwarts was at Madam Puddifoot’s with serious injuries, possibly as a result of Splinching during Apparition. He couldn’t imagine one of his students sneaking into Hogsmeade on the night of the final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Who would want to miss this event?

Glancing up at the stands, he saw that all of the Weasleys, including Fred and George, were accounted for, and of course Harry was in the maze. With his most obvious wanderers accounted for, he read through the note a second time. Perhaps it was a former student. Knowing he couldn’t ignore an obvious plea for assistance, nor a young man who was apparently quite injured, Albus peered quickly around at his professors.

“Filius, a word please,” he requested.

As the head of Ravenclaw House approached, he handed over the note, giving him a moment to read it. “Please go to Madam Puddifoot’s and assess the situation. If the boy needs medical assistance, you can use this Portkey to take him directly to the hospital wing.” He handed over a short piece of thickly braided ribbon.

“Of course,” Flitwick nodded accepting the ribbon. “Splinching’s a nasty business.”

As he watched his Charms professor walk away quickly, Albus turned his attention back to the maze. Fleur Delacour and Victor Krum had already been removed from the maze. Both had been Stunned as well as suffered minor injuries. Madam Pomfrey had attended them with her usual efficiency. Neither had been able to tell him who Stunned them or why. He couldn’t imagine either of the Hogwarts champions Stunning their fellow competitors without cause, and yet there was no one else in the maze.

He sighed quietly in impatience. So much time had passed, and neither Cedric nor Harry had completed the task. He was anxious for the tournament to be over. Albus could not shake the nagging feeling that something was terribly wrong. Staring into the dark depths of the maze entrance, he pulled out his wand and silently cast a spell into the maze. His mouth fell open in stunned surprise. Walking a few steps closer, he cast the spell a second time.

“What is it, Albus?” Minerva asked sharply from his side, her wand already in her hand.

“Cast ‘Homenum Revelio’ please,” he murmured to her as Severus walked up on his other side.

She stared at him for a brief moment before casting the human presence revealing charm into the maze. “They’re not in the maze,” Minerva murmured in horror. “Where could they be, Albus?”

He tugged at his beard agitatedly as he watched Severus casting the charm also, with no positive results. “The note I received a short time ago was from Rosmerta. She indicated that a Hogwarts boy had been found by Madam Puddifoot with wounds possibly caused by Splinching.”

“Do you think it could be one of them? Surely, that can’t be possible,” Minerva whispered.

“I don’t know what to think at this point,” Albus admitted. “I sent Filius to assess the situation and gave him a Portkey to take them both to the hospital wing if necessary. Minerva, if you could join Madam Pomfrey, and report back to me with your findings, I would greatly appreciate it.”

She nodded and hurried away.

“What do we do now?” Severus inquired softly.

“We wait. There’s nothing else to do,” Albus replied, struggling to keep his fear and frustration contained.

Back to index


Chapter 23: Chapter 23 Alive

Author's Notes: This is the final chapter of Darkness Within, though of course the story is far from complete! I am working on the sequel, but will not begin to post chapters until I have a decent first draft. Thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed! A special thank you to my husband for encouraging me to write this story and pressing me frequently for the next chapter. I am also extremely grateful for Arnel's work on these last few chapters!


Chapter 23
Alive

The crowd of spectators sitting in the stands was getting restless. They had watched the four champions disappear into the darkness of the maze quite a while ago. Since they couldn’t actually hear or see anything going on in the maze, many people had started whispered conversations among themselves. There was only so long a large group could stare quietly at the maze entrance, or at the sky, watching for the red sparks that would indicate someone was in trouble and about to be removed from the maze.

Twice the bright red sparks had lit the dark night. They had observed first Fleur Delacour and then Viktor Krum being brought from the maze. Both had appeared to be slightly disoriented and needed minor medical treatment from Madam Pomfrey, but they looked relatively unharmed. That had been over an hour ago now.

The sight of an eagle owl landing near Professor Dumbledore caught Ginny’s attention. She watched carefully as he removed a note and read it. Oddly, he then looked up at the stands where the Weasley family was sitting. She tried to see the expression on his face, but it was too dark, and he was too far away.

Ginny noticed that Professor Flitwick briefly joined the Headmaster, and then quickly walked away from the tournament area. She glanced at Anna and guessed, from her raised eyebrow, that she had also observed the exchange.

“Do you think something’s wrong?” Ginny whispered to no one in particular.

“Course not,” Ron said confidently. “Harry’s fine. He’ll get to the cup any minute now and win the tournament.”

Hermione nodded in accord. “Harry’s made it through worse than this, and he was well prepared for this task. He learned so many spells.”

Ginny felt she was trying to convince herself as much as the others.

“What’s Dumbledore doing now?” Neville inquired softly.

They all watched as the headmaster appeared to be casting some type of spell into the maze. Then, Professor McGonagall cast a spell followed by Professor Snape. None of the spells seemed to have any effect, and yet a moment later the Head of Gryffindor House hurried away towards the castle.

“Something’s wrong,” Ginny murmured fearfully.

“Wouldn’t they be hurrying into the maze if there was a problem?” Anna asked, looking at Bill.

Her brother had clearly been listening and now responded calmly. “If the Headmaster thought Harry and Cedric were in danger, he would be going into the maze, not sending Flitwick towards the gates and McGonagall up to the castle. Whatever message the owl delivered may be about a problem that has nothing to do with the Triwizard Tournament.”

Ginny nodded and stared at the professors still around the maze. Professor Dumbledore and Professor Snape were at the entrance. Professor Sprout was on the left side, and while Professor Moody was not currently in sight, when she had last seen him, he had been wandering off to the right side. She wondered how much longer this task could possibly continue. The maze was clearly enormous and filled with dangerous creatures and complicated obstacles, but surely it had to be over soon.

Around her, she could hear the quiet murmuring of multiple conversations. Hermione and Ron practically had their heads touching as they talked, though Hermione’s eyes remained focused on the entrance to the maze. Mum and Bill were also conversing quietly. Taking a quick glance at her mother, Ginny could see the obvious strain on her face. The twins were occasionally mumbling to one another, but had long since given up on trying to crack jokes to lighten up the tension.

As the spectators in the stands continued to watch and wait, Ginny clung to Anna’s hand for support. Neville had an arm around Anna’s shoulders, and when Ginny looked their way, they both forced reassuring smiles. Ginny focused her attention once more on the Headmaster. If something was wrong, he would surely be the first to know.

Suddenly, a tabby cat bounded across the dark grounds, briefly colliding with Professor Sprout before leaping over to the Headmaster. The Herbology professor hurried over to the others as the cat smoothly transformed into Professor McGonagall.

“No doubt about it; that’s impressive every time,” Fred muttered.

“Yeah,” George agreed quietly. “Wonder what the hurry is, though.”

“We’ve really got to devise some method of listening in on important conversations,” Fred whispered.

“Right you are,” George nodded, frustration clear in his tone. “This is maddening.”

Ginny glanced at her mother, but she had clearly missed the twins’ discussion, and was watching Professor Sprout approaching Mr. and Mrs. Diggory. She spoke to them briefly, and then led the Diggorys up to the castle. They were all walking rather quickly.

“Something must have happened to Cedric,” Mum murmured in obvious distress. “But, where is he?”

Bill was frowning. “He must be up at the castle, perhaps in the hospital wing.” He paused and shook his head slightly. “I just don’t see how we could have missed him being removed from the maze. Something very odd is happening.”

Mum nodded. “And, where’s Harry?”

Hermione was looking very tense now. She was biting her lip and sitting on the very edge of her seat, rocking forward on her feet as though ready to spring up and run at any moment.

A collective gasp was heard as Harry suddenly appeared several feet from the entrance to the maze. He was face down, sprawled on the ground with the cup clenched in his hand. For one horrifying moment, Ginny thought he might not be alive. Then, she saw his leg twitch. The Headmaster grabbed Harry, quickly rolling him over onto his back.

Shouts of ‘Harry!’ could be heard from the stands, and Hermione was racing down to the maze entrance with Ron on her heels. Ginny half expected her mum to order them back, but instead she and Bill were on their feet hurrying after them. Fred and George glanced at each other and then rose as one, swiftly following the others.

“Come on, let’s go!” Ginny called as she leapt up and rushed down the stairs. Anna and Neville were close behind her. They made it down to the maze entrance just as Ludo Bagman and the Minister for Magic arrived, along with all of the remaining Hogwarts professors.

“What’s going on?” Cornelius Fudge demanded. “What’s happened?”

“Harry’s won the tournament!” Ludo exclaimed. “He just looks a bit roughed up is all. I’m sure Madam Pomfrey can set him to rights soon enough. Well done, lad!”

Harry was gazing around with a look of confused horror on his face. “I didn’t win. Cedric and I tied. We grabbed the cup at the same time. It was a Portkey…took us to the cemetery. Cedric went for help…tried to Apparate, I think. I don’t know where he is….” Harry’s voice trailed off as he peered around anxiously.

“Cedric got away, Harry,” the Headmaster reassured him. “He managed to Apparate to Hogsmeade and is now in the hospital wing with his parents and Madam Pomfrey.”

“A Portkey to a cemetery? The Diggory boy Apparating to Hogsmeade for help?” the Minister inquired. “What is all of this, Albus?”

“I will be more than happy to explain as soon as I know the details myself,” he informed the man. “Hagrid, would you please assist Professors Sinistra, Vector, and Trelawney in getting the students back to the castle and into their respective house common rooms.”

“Right you are, professor,” Hagrid replied, as he quickly and rather gently for him, patted Harry on the shoulder before he and the indicated professors moved away and started loudly calling to the students to follow.

“Molly, if you could please take your family and their friends to the hospital wing, Harry will be brought there as soon as possible,” Dumbledore requested.

Mum murmured, “Oh, but…” as she started to reach for Harry with motherly concern.

“Please, Molly,” the Headmaster said firmly.

“Yes, of course, Albus,” Mum acquiesced. “Come along, children.”

As they walked slowly up to the castle following the rest of the student body, Ginny could hear Dumbledore calling upon the remaining professors to accompany him with Harry. Glancing back, she saw that Harry had been pulled to his feet and was staggering slightly. The Headmaster himself had his arm protectively around him and was slowly guiding him forward. Blinking back tears, she focused on the most vital fact. Harry was alive. She knew something truly horrible had happened. They all seemed to realize that, but at least Harry was alive.

“Alright there, Ginny?” Neville murmured, gently taking her arm.

Ginny nodded and leaned into Neville. Anna was on his other side, holding his hand. “At least he’s out of the maze.”

“Harry’s tough,” Neville said quietly. “Whatever happened, he’ll make it through.”

They walked in silence the rest of the way up to the castle and into the hospital wing.

“Where’s Cedric Diggory and his parents?” Mum asked as she glanced around the large empty space. “Professor Dumbledore said they were here.”

Madam Pomfrey was using her wand to clean blood off a nearby bed. “He was here, Molly. I stabilized him and sent him off to St. Mungo’s at his father’s request.”

Mum gasped. “His injuries were that grave?”

“Cedric Splinched quite badly during his Apparition. His leg is a mess and he lost quite a lot of blood. It didn’t help that he received no medical care other than a hastily applied bandage for nearly an hour,” she explained. “Don’t mistake me, that bandage probably prevented him from bleeding to death.” She sighed and rubbed her forehead tiredly. “He was lucky to be found so quickly in Hogsmeade at this time of night.”

“Who found him?” Bill asked.

“Madam Puddifoot, right outside her front door,” Madam Pomfrey replied. “Fortunately, she applied the bandage, moved him into her parlor, and went to Rosmerta for help.”

Bill nodded. “That was quick thinking given the circumstances. Splinching can be awful, but I’m sure the healers at St. Mungo’s can sort out his leg.” He was looking at Mum reassuringly as he spoke.

“I just wish that was the extent of his injuries,” the matron murmured.

“What else was wrong with him?” Mum inquired sharply.

“His shoulder was heavily scratched, though not bleeding badly. He had several minor burns, probably from one of the animals in the maze. The leg not damaged from Splinching had torn ligaments,” she paused and made eye contact with Mum. “When I performed the diagnostic scan to assess his injuries, it showed…well, I believe he was put under the Cruciatus Curse.”

“Who would do such a thing?” Mum raged. “I don’t understand what happened!”

Madam Pomfrey shook her head sadly. “Neither do I, Molly. Nor do I know why Harry has not been brought straight to me! I assume he’s injured.”

“He definitely looked a bit roughed up, but I didn’t see much blood. He was also conscious and capable of talking,” Bill said. “I think Dumbledore needed to speak to him and learn exactly what happened. He did say we could wait for Harry here, so I’m sure he’ll be along soon.”

The matron was shaking her head. “As if we don’t have enough injuries from Quidditch during a normal year. When it’s Quidditch at least I’m not dealing with wounds from dragons and students being Stunned!”

“Who was Stunned?” Mum asked.

“Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krum,” she replied. “They were both Stunned in the maze, so I don’t know who sent up the red sparks for them to be removed. At least their injuries were rather minor.”

Professor Snape entered the hospital wing with his black robes billowing out behind him. “Madam Pomfrey, the Headmaster is requesting your assistance. If you would follow me, please.”

She grabbed her medical bag, and they left quickly.

The others stood quietly for a moment, anxiety writ on every face.

“Who would have Stunned Fleur and Viktor in the maze?” Hermione wondered.

“Krum could’ve Stunned Fleur and then Harry Stunned him, maybe?” Ron considered.

Hermione glared at him. “Well, then who do you think sent ‘Crucio’ at Cedric?”

Ron opened his mouth, closed it, then sighed quietly. “Not even Krum would’ve done that. Not willingly anyway,” he admitted.

“So, do you think someone else was in the maze?” Fred asked.

George was nodding slowly. “What about the stuff Harry said down by the maze? About the cup being a Portkey, and them landing in a cemetery, and Cedric going for help. I mean, why was Cedric going for help, and help from what exactly?”

Everyone was silently pondering these questions when the hospital wing doors opened, and Madam Pomfrey returned with Professor Moody, who was floating before her on a stretcher. Only he didn’t exactly look like Professor Moody. He was thinner and very weak. He looked as though large clumps of his hair had been pulled out by the roots. This man did not resemble the strong, tough man Ginny had last seen only an hour or two ago by the maze.

“What happened to him?” Neville softly inquired.

Madam Pomfrey was settling him on a bed and forcing several potions down his throat.

Hermione was staring at the wasted form of Professor Moody, and after a moment, murmured, “Polyjuice Potion.”

“Right in one,” the matron confirmed. “And, you would certainly recognize it,” she added tartly.

Hermione blushed slightly and glanced at Ron, who looked from her to his shoes rather rapidly.

“I don’t understand,” Ginny said.

“This is the real Alastor Moody,” Madam Pomfrey explained. “The man who was teaching you all year was an imposter, using Polyjuice Potion to impersonate him.”

Mum gasped. “Who was the imposter?”

“Barty Crouch, Junior.”

“No, he’s dead! I was told he died in Azkaban prison years ago,” Neville growled, his hands fisting in his hair, as he began to pace.

Several pairs of eyes turned to him in shock. No one was used to Neville being so angry. Anna took both of his hands in hers, forcing him to be still. She began murmuring so quietly Ginny couldn’t hear what she was saying. Neville started blinking rapidly and pulled Anna into his arms, holding her tightly.

“I don’t know all of the details of course,” the matron continued quietly. “Apparently, Barty Crouch Junior escaped from Azkaban, faking his own death somehow. All I know is that he has been keeping the real Alastor Moody locked in a large trunk all school year, so he could pull out his hair for the Polyjuice Potion.”

“Will he be okay?” Ginny asked. “I mean the real Professor Moody.” She gestured awkwardly towards the bed where he was resting quietly.

“A couple of days of decent food and rest, as well as a few potions, and he’ll be perfectly fine,” Madam Pomfrey said calmly.

Just then, the door to the hospital wing opened, and the Headmaster walked in with Harry and a large black dog.

“Oh, Harry!” Mum exclaimed moving towards him.

Dumbledore held up his hand. “Molly, please wait. Harry has had an extremely difficult evening. He is exhausted and needs to rest peacefully for a while.” He looked around at the large group waiting in the room. “You are all welcome to stay with Harry, but I would ask you to refrain from asking him any questions tonight. He has already told me everything that occurred, and it is too overwhelming to discuss multiple times.”

Mum was nodding and blinking back tears at the sight of Harry. Ginny was just staring at him, silently examining him from head to toe. He was alive, standing before them.

“Headmaster,” the matron began, “the dog….”

“He will be staying with Harry for a while,” Dumbledore said. “I assure you he is very well trained. I must go, but I’ll be back later to check on Harry.” He swept out of the room.

Madam Pomfrey led Harry to a nearby bed, gave him pajamas, and pulled the screen around them. Several minutes passed before the others were called to come around the screen. Before anyone could say anything, Harry assured them that he was okay, just tired. A quiet humph from the matron seemed to contradict this, but Harry did look reasonably well.

Mum was fussing with his pillow and bedcovers as she always did when one of her children was sick, or injured, and she felt helpless. Ginny pressed her lips together and forced herself to be still, as she watched Harry drink some Dreamless Sleep Potion and fall into an immediate slumber.

“I really think you all should go up to bed,” Mum said quietly. “Harry is likely to sleep through the night, and Bill and I will be here to watch over him.”

“I’m staying,” Hermione said politely, but firmly.

Ron stood beside her, nodding.

“That sounds fine,” Bill spoke before Mum got the chance. “Fred, George, you’ll lead the others up to Gryffindor tower, won’t you?”

George nodded. “We’ll find out what happened in the morning. Bill’s right. We might as well go to sleep.”

Murmured ‘good nights’ were spoken, and Fred and George walked with Ginny, Neville, and Anna up to the dormitories.

*************************************************************************************

“Anna, are you awake?”

She sat up blinking. “Hermione?”

“Yes, we need to talk. Can you get dressed and come down to the common room?”

“Of course. I’ll be down in ten minutes.”

Anna rose quickly, pulled on her clothes, and went down the stairs. Entering the common room, she saw Neville, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione. The twins were just coming down from the boys’ dorms.

“Good,” Ron said. “Come on, then.”

Everyone followed Ron and Hermione out of Gryffindor tower and down a flight of stairs to an empty classroom.

“We need to tell you what happened last night after you all left,” Hermione began, closing the door behind her. “Apparently, after questioning Barty Crouch Junior, the Minister for Magic led a Dementor into the room, and it sucked out his soul.”

“You mean Fudge allowed a Dementor to administer the Kiss?” Fred asked. “Just like that!”

“Yes! Professor McGonagall was furious, of course, that he let a Dementor into Hogwarts at all, and especially, that he just stood by and watched when the Dementor…” her voice trailed off.

“The Headmaster was really angry, too,” Ron added. “He said that since Barty was soulless, he could not give testimony about why he did all of the horrible things he did, which by the way, includes sending up the Dark Mark on the night of the World Cup, kidnapping the real Alastor Moody, putting Harry’s name into the Goblet of Fire, and killing his own father.”

“Why did he do all of that?” Neville asked quietly.

“Because he was taking orders from You-Know-Who,” Ron said.

“What do you mean?” George demanded.

“When Harry and Cedric grabbed the Triwizard cup together, it was a Portkey and took them to a cemetery. They knew something was wrong, and Cedric tried to Apparate away to get help, but of course, he Splinched when he landed in Hogsmeade. By the time he was found and brought to Hogwarts, Harry was already coming back. Voldemort was reborn last night in that cemetery, using a Dark ceremony that required Harry’s blood. He has a body again,” Hermione explained.

Ginny’s hand went to her mouth, and she whimpered slightly. Anna put an arm around her.

“So, Voldemort is back,” Anna stated. “What will happen now?”

“Well, that’s the problem, isn’t it?” Ron sounded exasperated. “Fudge, Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape all heard Barty Crouch confess his crimes and talk about You-Know-Who, but now that his soul’s been removed, no one else can question him. Fudge is just acting like Crouch was crazy, and no one can take his word for anything!”

“But, Harry surely told them about that ceremony, about You-Know-Who being reborn,” Fred insisted.

Hermione was shaking her head despondently. “The Minister doesn’t believe Harry. He found out Harry’s a Parselmouth and that he has headaches and nightmares, possibly because of his curse scar.” She drew an angry breath. “It’s all that horrible Rita Skeeter’s fault. She’s written so many lies and half truths about Harry this year!”

“Fudge also mentioned the events at the end of last year, when we were trying to convince him of Sirius Black’s innocence,” Ron added. “The point is that he thinks Harry is unreliable. He thinks Crouch was just an insane criminal, and he doesn’t believe You-Know-Who is back.”

“Wait a minute,” George said, running a hand through his hair. “What about Cedric? I mean, can’t he confirm what happened.”

Hermione nodded. “Madam Pomfrey brought that up. Cedric told her the Triwizard Cup was a Portkey and that it took Harry and him to a cemetery far away from Hogwarts. The problem is that Cedric Apparated away before he saw anything other than a man carrying something. Fudge admitted that the cup was a Portkey and that the boys had suffered a terrible ordeal, but he won’t admit that Voldemort’s back.”

“So the Ministry won’t be doing anything to prepare to resist him or to fight his Death Eaters,” Neville concluded quietly.

“We did learn something else interesting,” Hermione said. “Professor Snape was a Death Eater. He showed Fudge the Dark Mark on his left forearm. All of the Death Eaters are marked by Voldemort. Dumbledore sent him away on a mission already. They both looked really worried.”

“Well, that’s something, then,” Fred murmured. “I mean if Dumbledore’s preparing somehow.”

Ron nodded. “The Headmaster asked Mum if he could count on her and Dad. She said yes, of course. He sent Bill to Dad to let him know what’s happened and have him start quietly informing people he trusts at the Ministry.”

“Professor Dumbledore sent Sirius off to alert the old crowd,” Hermione continued. “He mentioned several names, including Remus Lupin.”

“Did Sirius come after we left?” Ginny asked.

“No,” Ron paused for a moment. “Look you all can’t tell anyone, but Sirius is an Animagus. He’s the dog that came in with Harry.”

“Wow,” Fred murmured. “The surprises just keep coming, don’t they?”

George nodded quietly, rubbing the back of his neck.

“So, Dumbledore’s starting up the Order of the Phoenix again,” Neville murmured.

The others looked at him curiously.

Neville cleared his throat and his expression became hard. “My parents were in the old Order of the Phoenix during the first war. They were tortured into insanity by Barty Crouch and a few other Death Eaters. They’ve been in St. Mungo’s long term care ward ever since.”

“Oh, Neville!” Hermione gasped, covering her mouth with her hand.

Everyone turned to him with expressions of sorrow and understanding.

“We’ve got to start preparing,” Ginny said resolutely. “The Wizarding World has to be ready this time. We can’t let Tom continue to ruin families.”

Anna touched Ginny’s arm. “Tom? Is that Voldemort’s first name?”

“Yes,” Ginny nodded. “I mean his real name was Tom Riddle. He changed it to Voldemort sometime after he left Hogwarts.”

Anna felt herself sway, and Neville grabbed her, lowering her quickly to a chair.

“Sorry,” she murmured. “I just…”

“It’s okay, Anna,” George said firmly. “This is all a lot to take in.”

“We should grab some breakfast and then see if we’re allowed to visit Harry,” Fred suggested.

A chorus of murmured agreement followed, and the group made their way down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

Later that morning, Anna slipped out of the castle and went to a quiet spot on the edge of the forest by the lake. Her mind was a torrent of conflicting emotion. Staring at the sunlight glittering on the surface of the lake, she thought of her grandmother, imagining her there. Closing her eyes, she could almost feel her grandmother’s presence and smell the faint scent of her lavender perfume, as she listened to the water gently lapping upon the bank. For a moment, it was almost as though she was standing on the beach back in Virginia, with her grandmother by her side, looking out across the ocean on a perfect summer day. She suddenly felt calm, completely calm and in control. She didn’t cast a single spell other than a simple Silencing Charm, and then began to talk softly.

“We were mistaken about my grandfather. Tom Riddle is not dead. He changed his name. He’s here, alive and as evil as he was when he attacked you,” she breathed. “I don’t care that he is my grandfather. I’m nothing like him, and I never will be. No one knows, Grandma. I should be safe. I love you.”

*************************************************************************************

Anna stood quietly in the common room watching Mista fly out the open window towards Longbottom Manor. It was almost time to get on the Hogwarts Express, and she knew her owl would be happier flying than stuck in a cage for hours. The sky was a perfect azure with only a few wispy clouds in the distance.

“Are you ready, Anna?” Neville asked quietly, touching her arm.

She turned and nodded. They soon joined the throng of students boarding the train. It was a more subdued group than usual, with far less laughter than the end of the school year usually contained. Anna knew this was due in large part to the speech the Headmaster had made during the end of year feast. He had told the student body, quite honestly, that Voldemort was back, and that Cedric had been seriously injured and was currently at St. Mungo’s. Dumbledore had encouraged them to be united as a magical community, and to focus on the bonds of friendship and trust to strengthen them in the difficult times ahead. Sitting down in the train compartment, Anna felt extremely lucky to have this group of friends, her cousin Neville, Ginny and Hermione, Ron and Harry.

“Anything in the Daily Prophet today, Hermione?” Harry asked as he settled himself in a seat by the window.

“Nothing,” she replied. “Fudge is really forcing everyone to keep quiet.”

The only reference so far in the newspaper about the end of the Triwizard Tournament had been a small paragraph on the last page stating that Harry and Cedric had tied for first and split the reward money.

“You’d think Rita would have managed to write something by now,” Harry remarked.

“Well,” Hermione said, looking slightly embarrassed and excited. “She can’t.” Biting her lip, she pulled a small glass jar from her bag containing a beetle.

Everyone stared for a moment before recognition started to dawn upon them.

“She’s an Animagus,” Harry murmured in awe.

“An unregistered Animagus,” Hermione clarified. “That’s illegal of course, not to register. I’ll let her out once we’re back in London, and she won’t be writing any lies about anyone for quite a while, or I’ll turn her in to the Ministry.”

“You really are brilliant!” Anna exclaimed.

Hermione blushed happily as she put the jar back in her bag.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130104