Arnold by Pottermum



Summary: The llfe and times of Arnold, manliest of manly Pygmy Puffs.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-OotP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2017.06.25
Updated: 2017.06.25


Arnold by Pottermum
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

Year of the Half-Blood Prince

Life, as I knew it, began with my brothers and sisters in a large open cage. Everywhere I looked was bright colours. I soon got used to small fingers patting me and stroking me, sometimes prodding me. But I'll never forget that day, the day I became hers and she became mine. August 3rd.

“They're really cute,” I heard her say, in her musical voice. “Mum, can I have a Pygmy Puff. Look, they're so sweet.” A larger lady joined her, their sweet fragrances making my insides quiver.

Then I felt her small hands cup me and lift me up. It was the first time I saw her big brown eyes, all lit up and sparkly as she spoke to another. “Really, Fred? Then I choose this one,” she said, and to my delight, she pressed her soft lips against me. I think I fell in love with her that day.

“Happy Birthday, Ginners,” said a human, with similar fur on top of his head to my new mistress. I assumed this was the one she named Fred. I then saw another human, exactly like the one named Fred. This did not bother me, for my brothers and sisters all look alike. My mistress named this one George. “We'll even toss in a cage,” he said.

My mistress picked me out a nice new cage, and before I knew it, I was out in the big wide world. I tried to look around as much as I could, but my mistress and the large poffle we travelled with were ushered into a dark room with many humans, eating and drinking. I heard the humans talking about flew, but I had no wings. But as long as I was with my new mistress, I knew I would be fine. She held me tight, and in a woosh, I was in my new home.

Oh, the sights, the sounds, the smells! I cannot even begin to tell you. But the best bit was when I went up, up, up to my mistress' bedroom. She put the cage on her bed and opened it. “Come on, out you come,” she crooned softly, beckoning me.

To my embarassment, I squealed in excitement in my hurry to get to her. She picked me up in those soft hands of hers and brought me to her face. “Hello. I'm Ginny, and you're at the Burrow, your new home.” Cupping me in her safe hands, she showed me around her bedroom. Oh, so many places for a Pygmy Puff to play hide and go seek!

There was a knock on the door. Another large human with red fur stuck his head in. “Hey, Ginny, Mum said half an hour till dinner,” he said. Then he noticed me. “Hey, he's cute,” he said.

Again, I squealed. My Ginny, for that is how I called her from that moment on, laughed, but as he was about to leave, she called out, “Hey Ron, where did you three go in Diagon Alley earlier?”

The one named Ron had a strange look on his face. My Ginny sighed. “Yeah, I get it. You can't tell me.”

Ron grinned. “You want to know, go ask Harry, see if he'll tell you.” He winked and left, and my Ginny sighed.

“He knows I'll never ask Harry. Oh, that was Ron, one of my many brothers. You already know Fred and George, so that only leaves Bill, Charlie and Per- oh, doesn't matter. Now, what to name you?”

A name? I would get a name? I shivered in delight. My Ginny was the best mistress ever!

She placed me on her pillow, which smelled heavenly, all flowery. She picked up my cage and placed it on her desk, looking out the window. “There they go, the three of them, off to talk about who knows what,” she said. Shrugging, she turned her attention back to me. “I shouldn't have a problem coming up with a name. I named Ron's owl, you know. Pigdwidgeon, although we call him Pig. Ron nearly had a stroke. Hmm, perhaps I should let him name you? No, he'd probably call you Chudley or something terrible like that.”

I had no idea what a Chudley was, but it must be something really awful, the way my Ginny wrinkled her nose. I tried to squeal my refusal for that horrible name, hoping she could differentiate that from my other squeals of excitement.

She picked me up again, nodding. “You don't like it either. Smart Puffy.”

I couldn't help but hug her thumb. She understood me! Oh, wonderful mistress, clever mistress.

“He is my favourite brother, though. As well as Bill. And Fred and George. Oh, I can't leave out Charlie. And Percy, well, that's a story for another day. But Ron and me, we're the youngest, you see. He was my best friend, till he left to go to Hogwarts.”

I wasn't really listening to what she was saying as I gazed into her big brown eyes. They softened when she spoke of these red furred humans. I could get lost in her eyes forever.

Suddenly, they were alight. “I've got it. I'll name you for Ron, only your name won't be Ronald, it will be Arnold. Arnold Bilius Weasley. The Bilius is for one of our uncles. It's terrible, I know. Can you imagine what I'll end up naming my children?” She laughed and picked me up.

“I'll put you back in your cage while I go down for dinner, then I'll show you around the Burrow. Be a good boy, and I'll be bring you back something to eat,” she said.

I sighed happily. I would do whatever my Ginny asked of me.

The Burrow is the biggest cage ever and my new poffle all live here. It has many levels. I did like the one with all the smells that the larger lady spent most of her time in. The one with the older red furred man was nice too, and I would spend many days curled up with dad Arthur, when I wasn't with my Ginny.

The outside was enormous! There were a thousand and once places for a Pygmy Puff to hide, I noted. My Ginny placed me on her shoulder and I nestled close to her neck, feeling her pulse race in excitement as we headed down to what she called the Pitch.

She placed me on a low branch and I watched as she placed a broom between her legs and flew high up into the sky, to meet with brother Ron and another, with black fur on his head. They flew around, throwing what looked like an Engorgio-ed Puff ball, a Pygmy Puff's favourite food, to each other.

Suddenly I sensed danger. I looked around to find a girl human with a lot of brown fur was standing under me, looking up at my new poffle. I sensed no danger from her, but from the feline that accompanied her.

Cat Crookshanks and I can laugh about it now, but if you had seen the way he'd stared straight at me, like I'd make a delicious Puff sandwich, then you'd understand why I was quivering.

My Ginny, brother Ron and the one she breathlessly named Harry, joined the bushy haired one on the ground. “Oh, Hermione, will you look after Arnold for me?” asked my Ginny.

Brother Ron turned red when she explained how I got my glorious name. I tried to puff my chest out proudly, but it just made my fur stand on end.

“Ginny, that's so sweet,” said the one named Hermy-Hermee. (Sigh, It's a big word, and I am just a little Pygmy Puff.) She cupped me in her hands — not as soft as my Ginny's, but still nice — and they all gathered around me, gently patting.

Did I mention this is a Pygmy Puff's idea of heaven? I shivered, then disgraced myself by pooping in the bushy haired girl's hands. Brother Ron laughed, breathtaking Harry snickered, while girl Hermy thrust me back to my Ginny. I feared she would be cross, but as always, she understood.

“My poor Arnold, he just got overwhelmed with all the attention,” she crooned to me. “I'm sorry, Hermione. It's been a big day for him.”

My heart swelled with love for my Ginny. She truly understood me.

“Yeah, Hermione, I'm sure he didn't mean it,” said the breathtaking Harry. “Gin hasn't toilet trained him yet,” he said affectionately.

I liked breathtaking Harry from that moment on. I sensed he knew how special my Ginny was, a feeling I also got from dad Arthur.

Before I knew it, I was bundled in my cage again, going on a long trip to somewhere called Hogwarts. Cat Crookshanks had explained it to me, for we were friends now. He told me how he was wary of any new creatures coming close to his family, after what a rat named Scabbers had done. I swore an oath to never hurt my family, our family, and we had been friends ever since. Imagine what the other puffs back at the store would say if they knew I had a feline as part of my family! At least, now I knew what a family was. And of course, that included the owls.

Pig was a little hyperactive. Okay, a lot. It was exhausting being around him; Crookshanks assured me he felt the same. We feared the owl had crashed into the glass windows too many times. He was so eager to please. Then there was Hermes, a Screech owl belonging to the one named Percy, who I hadn't met yet. Whenever Hermes appeared, usually returning a parcel sent from mum Molly, she cried, and the mood of the house went bad. My Ginny would cuss and curse, threaten to hex this unknown Percy. But at night she would whisper a prayer of hope that this Percy would soon come to his senses.

Errol was the oldest owl I'd ever seen. Okay, so I had only seen four. Poor thing, he often required a full days rest after the simplest of deliveries. And then there was Hedwig.

She was the queen of them all; so majestic. She was all white and she belonged to boy Harry. He treated her very well, so Hedwig told me. She told me of the horrors he endured at a place called Dursleys. I wondered why he had to go there, time and time again. Queen Hedwig mentioned a blood protection, but at the mention of blood, I embarassingly passed out.

There was also a frog that lived in a tank in boy Ron's bedroom, something called chickens that pecked — I vowed to stay away from them, for pecking didn't sound good — and an army of garden gnomes. Cat Crookshanks liked to chase the garden gnomes as much as he could, for there were no garden gnomes at Hogwarts.

And now, here I was, on the train to Hogwarts! Me, a Pygmy Puff. My Ginny took me out of my cage once we were moving, and put me on her shoulder. I snuggled under her long hair.

Breathtaking Harry spoke to her, then walked away. She met another human with dark skin and dark fur. Boy Dean smiled at me, but did not stroke me or admire me. Hmm.

“Oh, he's adorable.” I forgot about boy Dean and looked to see a luminescent human in front of me. I had never seen fur so shiny before.

“Luna, how are you, how was your summer?” asked my Ginny. I could tell from her voice that this girl Luna was someone important to her. If my Ginny liked girl Luna, then so did I. I squeaked.

Luna spoke in her lilting voice to my Ginny while gently stroking me in just the right way. I squeaked again.

“You're welcome,” said friend Luna to me. Of course my Ginny would have clever, brilliant friends. I squeaked my thanks again, and she laughed and walked away.

If I had thought my new cage at the Burrow was huge, it was nothing compared to my temporary cage at Hogwarts. My Ginny took me to what she called her dorm room and showed me around. I met girl Demelza and girl Vicky, who I liked, and girl Romilda, who I didn't. She taunted my Ginny about breathtaking Harry. When she wasn't looking, I pooped in her hot chocolate. Deliberately.

Later that night, as I lay next to my Ginny's head on her pillow, she whispered. “Here we are, Arnold, back at Hogwarts. I wonder what the year will bring.”

My Ginny was gone a lot during the day, although I did accompany her to some of her lessons, and to meals in the Great Hall. She was also out riding her broom a lot for some game she played, on a team with girl Demelza.

She spent a lot of time with boy Dean too. I had grown to accept his company, and I guess he had grown to accept mine. I mean, we both cared about my Ginny, right? He drew pictures of me for her, and I have to say, I am one handsome Pygmy Puff, especially when I've just been bathed and brushed. Is that vane?

Speaking of vane — girl Romilda. I sensed a darkness in her, particularly towards my Ginny. But the girl does have a lot of chocolate in her trunk, and one day she gave me some. Okay, a lot. I admit I ate like a pig ( sorry, owl Pig), and was soon quite sick, all over girl Romilda's parchment.

My Ginny showed up then, and she was angry, so very angry. She took me to the large, gentle one, Hagrid. He gave me a drop of tonic that put me right to sleep. When I woke next day, my Ginny fussed over me. I was so happy, for I had thought she was mad at me. She even told me I did good by pooping on Romilda's homework, whatever that is. I stayed clear of girl Romilda after that, even if her chocolate did smell good. I wished I could have told breathtaking Harry not to eat her chocolates, that he too might poop on her homework, but as it turned out, brother Ron ate the ones meant for breathtaking Harry, most of them actually, and I guessed he had to go see Hagrid for a tonic, too.

My Ginny and boy Dean confused me. I would watch their lips meet, and I wondered if they were passing food, like a mother bird does to her baby. I saw him put his arm around her. It looked nice, but brother Ron didn't like it. I sensed neither did breathtaking Harry, for he looked at my Ginny a lot these days.

I tried to understand my Ginny, when she confided in me late at night. “Oh Arnold, what am I going to do? I like Dean, he's a really nice guy. Funny, talented, smart. Caring and kind. A guy every girl dreams of having for a boyfriend, you know?”

I did not know, but I squealed my agreement. Boy Dean was nice, on the cusp of manhood. I'd sensed that most of the boy humans hormones were changing, the ones that were around my Ginny, anyway. From Boy Dean, Seamus and Neville. Brother Ron, breathtaking Harry. Not boys much longer. Soon to be men.

I did not understand her distress until she explained more. “But I've been hanging out with Harry, more, you know for Quidditch. We can talk about anything and everything, we know what's going on out there,” — she gestured to the open space — “he talks to me about Sirius, about his worries, and he says it really helps him. I want to help him, Arnold, I really do. But then Dean comes over and takes me away, and...I don't want to leave Harry.”

I am startled to see a tear emerge from my Ginny's eye. “I like Dean...but I think I'm in love with Harry. Like, really in love. What am I going to do?”

She sounded so unsure. It surprised me, for she was usually so strong, so decisive. I squeaked and squealed all my suggestions, and she bundled me up and kissed the top of my fur. “Thanks for listening, Arnold. Goodnight.”

I was determined to help my Ginny. I rode on her shoulder to breakfast next morning, and when boy Dean joined us, I scooted over to him. He promptly picked me up and handed me back to my Ginny.

“Here, Ginny, the little bugger was trying to get away,” he said, chuckling.

Little Bugger! I was angry, affronted and annoyed. I began to squeak and squeal, to let boy Dean know exactly what I thought of his comments, when breathtaking Harry picked me up gently.

“It's okay, Arnie, here, have some bacon rind,” he offered gently, breaking a piece off.

I took it gratefully. Bacon rind is my favourite treat at Hogwarts. As usual, it was cooked perfectly, and I forgave breathtaking Harry for calling me Arnie. Sort of. I squeaked my appreciation for his offering.

“No worries, little guy,” he said, and he gave the rest of the rind to Hedwig who had just brought him the daily newspaper.

“Thanks, Harry,” said my Ginny. “It's his favourite.”

“I know,” said breathtaking Harry.

“You do?” asked girl Hermy. “How interesting.”

I didn't see what was so interesting about it, but girl Hermy smirked and breathtaking Harry flushed.

“What's interesting?” asked brother Ron, just joining us and breaking off some of his rind and offering it to me. But I had learnt my lesson with the chocolate, and I knew to say no when I was full. So I squealed my thanks, but no thanks, and suggested he offer it to Queen Hedwig. When he did so, Hedwig hooted her thanks to me, and I squealed back.

“Aw, they're talking to each other,” grinned my Ginny to breathtaking Harry.

Hedwig hooted her goodbyes and took flight. I squealed back my farewell and went back to my Ginny, who put me on her shoulder.

“Don't forget Quidditch practice in half an hour,” breathtaking Harry reminded her.

My Ginny saluted him. “Aye, aye, captain. Just going to put Arnold away,” — see, she had noticed his silly name for me — “ then I'll get changed and head down to the pitch.”

“I, er, I could wait for you, if you wanted,” offered breathtaking Harry. I saw his cheeks redden and hoped he wasn't getting sick. Apparantly this next match was very important.

“Come on, Harry, I thought we'd head straight to the pitch,” whined brother Ron. “I wanted to have a go on your Firebolt before practice starts.”

“It's all right, Harry. I'll wait for Ginny, she is my girlfriend,” said Dean.

Brother Ron beamed, but I could see my Ginny, girl Hermy and breathtaking Harry stiffen at his words and tone.

“Right, well, Ron, you ready? Ginny, Dean, we'll see you at the pitch,” said Harry, standing suddenly.

“Blimey, Harry, can I finish my -” But Harry yanked Ron up as he was till slathering way too much jam on his toast. “Right, yeah, whatever.”

My Ginny tossed her uneaten toast onto her plate. “Think I'll go get ready. I'll see you at the pitch, Dean,” she said forcibly. Then she stood and together, we walked back to her dorm.

She was muttering under her breath. “Who does he think he is? My girlfriend! Like I'm some sort of possession. Honestly - boys!”

I added my two puffs worth of derision for him calling me a little bugger. I watched as she got changed, then she tickled my fur and told me to be good while she was away. I settled down for a nap; my belly was full.

The next days my poor Ginny was up and down. Up because Quidditch practice was going so well. Down because she was fighting with boy Dean. She told me they were through. Through what, I wasn't sure. Then she was up because she was getting good grades in Potions and the big match was looming. I saw her with breathtaking Harry more often. Then down, so very down because breathtaking Harry had been grounded. It meant he would miss the big match.

My Ginny went to bed early the night before the match. “I'm playing Seeker tomorrow, Arnold. Harry asked me to, and I have to do it for him. We have to win for him. Oh, why do they take so much away from him? Why can't they let him be happy?” she despaired.

And just as I would do anything for my Ginny, I knew then she would do anything for her Harry. I didn't know who they were, but if my Ginny despaired over them and their treatment of her Harry, then so would I. I squealed out a consolation cry.

“Oh, Arnold. If you could have seen his face when he told the team, like he was ashamed of his actions. But I know him, I know he must have been pushed too far to react against Snape. The man has had it in for him ever since he started here,” she said.

“I hate that he's hurting, Arnold. I want to go to him, comfort him,” she whispered. My Ginny is very good at comforting so I squeaked my approval for this idea, but she shook her head. “But I can't. Merlin, I hope Ron's with him. I don't want him to be alone.”

My sweet caring Ginny. I could feel her deep feelings for her Harry. I rubbed my backside against her cheek, the pygmy puffs way of showing immense love. I had done it many times before, and my Ginny loved it.

“Oh, Arnold,” she whispered, turning her head into the pillow to muffle her weeping. It would not be the first night she had cried herself to sleep over her Harry. And it wouldn't be the last.

She silently dressed for the match next morning. “I can't take you to breakfast, because I'm going straight to the pitch. I'll see you after, be good, and no chocolate, all right?”

I squeaked my agreement and reluctantly looked away from the open packet on bad Romilda's bedside table. My Ginny's bed was near the window, and I hopped onto the ledge and settled in for a nice long nap.

Much later, I heard the sounds of excitement from downstairs. I waited and waited, but my Ginny didn't come to her room. I'm sure she missed dinner, and therefore, so did I.

Girl Demelza and Vicky entered the dorm. I looked for my Ginny, but she was not with them.

Girl Vicky threw herself down on girl Demelza's bed. “Wasn't that the most romantic thing ever?” she sighed.

“I knew it!” crowed girl Demelza. “I knew he liked her. He's even taken some Bludger hits at practice, and I know it's because he's been watching her.”

“But the way he kissed her, so passionately. I'd die if somebody kissed me like that. Die of happiness,” clarified girl Vicky.

“Well, I'm really happy for them. They just looked so right together, don't you think?” asked girl Demelza.

“Merlin, yes! And the way he took her hand, lead her out of the common room. You just know they're going to snog the night away,” gushed girl Vicky.

“Did you see Ron's face? Or Dean's?” chortled girl Demelza.

Girl Vicky shook her head. “I was too busy watching them. Looks like Hogwarts has a new golden couple. It's been awhile since we've had one. Cho and Cedric would have been the last.”

“Merlin, yes,” realised girl Demelza, with a frown. “That didn't end well, did it? But that's not going to happen for Harry and Ginny. You'll see, they'll be brilliant together.”

The two girls got undressed and went to bed, still chattering about the game and the events at the party. I settled down on my Ginny's pillow to wait for her.

It was later, much later, when she appeared. Her face was glowing, I don't think I had ever seen her look more beautiful.

“Oh Arnold,” she said, cupping me in her hands and twirling me till I think I would throw up, or poop.

As if she knew, she stopped and whispered happily, “He kissed me.” I didn't need to ask who or when or where. It would have been nice to know what kissed meant, though, and why one would do it?

My Ginny and her Harry were together as often as they could be for the next few weeks. Never had I seen her so happy, nor her Harry so content.

They included me sometimes, on picnics near the big body of water. But after devouring their meal, and gifting me some crumbs, they'd then turn to devouring each other. It was curious to see, arms and legs all entangled. I worrid that, if they got stuck together, how could I, a mere Pygmy Puff, possibly help them. Brother Ron tried to interrupt, probably he had the same concerns as I did, but they shooed him away. I hoped he stayed close.

The days flowed into weeks. My Ginny and her Harry began to talk about the upcoming holidays, about when her Harry would come to the Burrow. How they both dreaded the separation.

My Ginny had spent many late nights studying for her OWLS, whatever that meant. Girl Hermy mentioned she had received eleven OWLS. What she needed that many birds for, I wasn't sure. Perhaps to carry all her books? The girl does like to read!

But this night, I heard the cries, the screams. I wondered if there had been another big match. ( Someone really needed to explain to me what one was). And by the end of the night, my Ginny returned to bed, devastated.

“Dumbledore's dead. Bill was attacked by a werewolf, and Harry...Harry...” She couldn't say anymore but she was heartbroken. I would only ever see her like this once more.

I didn't know what a Dumbledore was, but I knew what dead meant. Brother Bill I knew. Attacked by a werewolf? I knew that wasn't good. And her Harry...what?

“He's going to break up with me, I know he is. Silly prat, just when he needs me the most,” she sniffled. I could tell that breaking up with someone wasn't a good thing.

I squeaked mournfully. “I love him, Arnold, truly love him. And he's going to leave me behind...and I have to let him go.”

My poor brave Ginny. Giving up her Harry. I know she loved him, and I had felt his love for her. Her poor broken Harry.

Days later, we were on the train, heading back to the Burrow. Everyone was solemn, and most had red eyes. They had buried their Dumbledore that day.

My Ginny didn't mention her Harry at all. He did not sit in the compartment with her. I was angry with him for hurting my Ginny. She gave her love so freely, so fiercely. Did he not know what a gift she was?

We were ushered off the train quickly, something about it not being safe to be out too long. My Ginny exchanged hugs with boy Neville, friend Luna and girl Hermy. Crookshanks miaowed he'd keep an eye on things at hers and we'd compare notes when we met again. Hedwig hooted her agreement sorrowfully, not looking forward to another summer at the Dursleys.

We walked off the platform together, all of us. Big man Dursley grabbed her Harry's arm. My Ginny bit her lip, wanting to cry out in his defense. Dad Arthur spoke to the large man, not large like dear Hagrid, but large, like greedy. Whatever dad Arthur said, it made the man stiffen and let go. Dad Arthur then spoke to her Harry, who nodded and left.

I walked on with my Ginny, riding on her shoulder. Then she stopped and looked back. Her Harry was looking back at her too. Sadly, sorrowfully. With regret. He tried to hide his love, but I saw it. And I realised that yes, her Harry did know that what a gift my Ginny's love had been. A gift he had to return.

Her heartbeat picked up, as we watched him leave the platform with large Dursley.

“Be safe, Harry,” I heard her whisper forlornly.

“Come on, Ginny,” urged brother Ron. Girl Hermy, friend Luna and boy Neville had already left.

“He'll be all right, Ginny. Kingsley has got Aurors watching the house,” said dad Arthur, trying to offer comfort.

“What about what goes on inside the house,” snapped my Ginny. “Who's going to help Harry there. Dad, he needs to come to the Burrow as soon as he can. He shouldn't be alone there, not with them,” said my Ginny, her voice breaking.

“You're a good friend, Ginny. Don't worry, at the first sign of trouble, we'll get Harry out. I'll speak to Kingsley in the morning,” said dad Arthur.

“We're his home, dad. He needs to come home,” she said brokenly.

“There's dark days ahead, Ginny. Come on, your mother will be frantic,” said dad Arthur, ushering her ahead quickly.

We returned to the Burrow.

~end part 1 ~


















Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130196