A Battle with Fire by Sir Ollivander



Summary: Harry realizes in order to win the fight with Lord Voldemort, he will have to kill him. And DADA classes won't help. He needs to learn stronger magic. He has to fight fire with fire.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-OotP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2004.05.20
Updated: 2005.04.05


A Battle with Fire by Sir Ollivander
Chapter 1: The Restricted Section
Author's Notes:

"A Battle with Fire"

by Sir Ollivander

Chapter One — The Restricted Section



A/N: J.K. Rowlings owns the brilliant works of Harry Potter. I’m just borrowing them. My only profits are your reviews. My thanks to Rosebeth and Lady G for beta reading my story. The PG-13 is to cover my bases on those dark curses.




Harry Potter was angry, frustrated, and pondering.

Harry was sitting in his favorite overstuffed chair in the Common Room of Gryffindor House on an early Thursday evening. His best friends, Ron and Hermione, were off supposedly doing their Prefects duties while Ginny was in the library with a few classmates studying. There were several other students in the Common Room, but they were in small groups studying amongst themselves. That left Harry alone. And at the moment, he preferred it that way.

As he sat in the Common Room, Harry was recalling the confrontation he and Ginny had with Draco Malfoy an hour ago after leaving dinner in the Great Hall.

***

The group had finished a delicious dinner in the Great Hall and was headed back to Gryffindor House. Ron and Hermione split off saying they would meet back after Prefects duties. They disappeared up another staircase, leaving Harry and Ginny walking the hall to their stairs. As they just turned the last corner they heard a familiar but unpopular voice talking to them.

“Potty and his weasel. Looking for a closet to hide in and shag?” barked Malfoy.

Although Ginny wanted to keep walking and ignore him, Harry stopped and replied, “You’re just jealous I have a girl. You have to threaten somebody to be with you.”

“So you think, Potty. When Voldemort finishes with you, maybe I’ll take my turn with your cute little friend,” Malfoy shot back.

“Over your dead body, Malfoy,” Ginny finally spoke up. “You along with that dark creature you call your master.”

“HE’S NOT MY MASTER. But I’ll be right up there with him when he gets rid of you and the rest of your friends.” Without waiting for another response, he turned around and walked off towards the Slytherin Common Room.

Ginny looked up at Harry. “He gets pretty annoying for a bag full of foul air, doesn’t he?”

Harry didn’t reply because as he stared in the direction Malfoy disappeared, an awkward thought occurred to him.

Ginny took his hand into hers and started pulling him towards the staircase. “Come on. I have to meet some people in the library in a few minutes. He’s not worth the effort to think about.”

The handholding brought Harry back into focus and allowed Ginny to lead him away. They continued holding hands until they entered the Portrait Hole into the Common Room. From there, Ginny went up to her dormitory to grab her books and headed for the library. Harry sat down in his favorite chair and watched the logs burning in the fire.

***

Harry normally dismissed anything Malfoy said to him. It bothered him more when he insulted Ginny, but based on her comment, she didn’t let him get to her. Yet, something he said, or the way he said it, struck something in Harry. A thought started to build up. Harry felt he needed to figure out what that was. Otherwise, why was it bothering him?

Everybody knew the fight was going to be between Voldemort and himself. One had to defeat the other. One had to be destroyed. Even the prophecy said one would die at the hands of the other. In other words…

Harry had to kill Voldemort.

Harry thought about that some more. I’m sixteen. A sixth year student in school. And I am supposed to kill one of the most powerful dark wizards in the world.’ Harry chuckled to himself over that one. Maybe with a Stupefy or an immobulus spell. No, that won’t do. I have to kill him.

Time flew by faster than Harry realized. The next thing he knew was Ginny jumping on the seat next to him. They looked at each other for a moment before Ginny spoke.

“So why the serious look?”

“I been thinking and I don’t like what I just realized,” he replied.

“And what did you just realize?” Ginny asked innocently.

“I have to kill Voldemort.”

Ginny looked down and gave a simple, “Oh.”

Harry wasn’t sure if she was disturbed about him saying Voldemort or the fact that he had to kill him. “Ginny, what’s bothering you?”

“Well,” she looked back up into his face, “we always knew you would have to defeat him one of these days.”

“Defeat, overcome, destroy. That’s a nice way of saying I’m going to win. But the bottom line is, I have to kill him. Dead. Take the life out of him. Never come back.”

“Is that what’s bothering you?” she said softly.

“Yes. Killing is not exactly taught in advanced DADA classes for sixth or seventh years. Even Aurors don’t kill if they can avoid it. I don’t know if they even teach them to. But sixteen-year-old Hogwarts student Harry Potter has to. Yes, that’s what’s bothering me.”

Ginny pulled on his arm, getting her closer up against his side, and rested her head on his shoulder. Harry responded by wrapping his arm around her and holding her close to him. They both sat in the overstuffed chair, Ginny snuggled up to Harry, for the remainder of the evening.

Harry started to feel a lot better. It wasn’t just the fact that they were hugging each other in a relaxed position. Ginny had a calming effect on him. Even when in pain from his scar, her touch would cool and sooth him to a point where he could manage it. It was uncanny how she could do that to him.

When it was close to their bedtime, they kissed a long good night and went to their separate dormitories. Once Harry changed into pajamas and climbed into bed, it took him a long time to finally fall asleep. He had two thoughts on his mind, one good and one not.

***

At breakfast the next morning, nothing was said about Harry’s thoughts the night before. Ron shoveled food into his mouth and Hermione scolded him for it. Harry and Ginny just watched the two from the sidelines and chuckled. Friday was a light schedule for the sixth years, but Ginny, a year behind, had three classes, with Potions as a double class.

After their first class in the morning, Ron and Harry split up. Ron went to find Hermione getting out of Arthimancy. Once he was out of sight, Harry headed for Professor Dumbledore’s office.

“Ice Mice,” Harry stated and the stone gargoyle rotated, opening the access to the staircase to Dumbledore’s office. At the door, Harry barely knocked when he heard the headmaster shout, “Come in, Harry. Come in.” So with a small smile, Harry walked in.

“A good day to you, Harry. How may I help you on this fine Friday?” Dumbledore was obviously in a good mood.

“I would like permission to research some magic in the Restricted Section of the Library, please,” he announced. “If I’m going to defeat Voldemort,” continued Harry, noting that he didn’t say ‘kill’,” I need to know more magic than what is taught in Defense classes. I’ve been told that I’m a powerful wizard, but that won’t help if I don’t know what power I have to stop him. I may be able to prevent him from killing me by blocking or dodging his spells and curses. But that’s not the point here.”

“Do you want to learn the Dark Arts?” the headmaster inquired.

Harry thought for a moment before answering. “Honestly, I’m not sure what exactly I need to learn. But I do know I don’t know enough now and I won’t by only attending Defense Against the Dark Arts classes.”

“And will you be having Hermione or Ginny assisting you in your new studies?”

“No,” he said firmly. “At this point I need to start on my own. And I don’t think I will be involving them at all.”

“I see,” replied Dumbledore, thinking. “I will talk with Madam Pince. You, and you alone, will have access to the Restricted Section. But you may not check out any books or remove them from the library. And I would prefer you not sharing your notes with other students. Am I clear on that?”

“Yes, Sir,” Harry said approvingly. “Quite clear.”

“Very well, then. Why don’t you go join your friends for lunch and then enjoy the afternoon around the lake? What’s left of our nice weather won’t last long as autumn approaches.”

“Thank you very much, sir.” Harry nodded at Dumbledore’s smile and headed back down the stairs. It was almost lunch time and others were walking towards the Great Hall.

Ron was already seated at the Gryffindor table starting to fill his plate. He apparently didn’t find Hermione earlier. Harry sat opposite him and started on his own. A few minutes later the girls walked in. They separated when they got to the table, Ginny walking on Harry’s side while Hermione walked down Ron’s side. When they sat down, they looked at the guys’ plates then back at themselves and giggled.

“What’s so funny?” Ron said just before taking a big bite.

“Oh, nothing,” replied Hermione.

Ginny laughed. “Just wondering if you two were going to leave any food for the rest of Gryffindor House.”

Ron looked up at the rest of the table, seeing all the food that was available. Then he looked back at the girls with confusion all over his face. The two girls giggled again and started filling their own plates. They ate in silence for most of the meal.

When they were finished, Ginny noticed that Harry was being too quiet throughout lunch. “Is something wrong, Harry? Colin said he saw you coming out of Dumbledore’s office earlier.”

“No, I’m okay.” He carefully chose his words before continuing. “I talked to him about a research project I want to do. I was just thinking about it.”

The way Harry replied with a vague answer, Ginny understood he really didn’t want to discuss it. So she didn’t ask what the subject was he was researching, but she had a nagging feeling she may already know.

“Well,” Ginny said while slipping her hand over his under the table. “It’s a nice day outside. Shall we go out by the lake? I have an hour and a half before my last class.”

Harry wondered where he heard that before. “A brilliant idea. I could use some fresh air. Coming?” he said looking at the other couple.

“A brilliant idea,” Hermione agreed and they all got up and headed for the door.

***

Monday was a light day for homework. Harry’s earliest turn-in of homework was Wednesday, so he planned to visit the library after dinner. He made up a separate book bag of quills, ink, and parchment, which he brought down with him. Hermione noticed it when they all sat down to eat.

“Harry, what’s with the new bag?” she asked.

“Er, I’m, uh, going to the library afterwards,” he stuttered. He didn’t want to bring attention to his research in the middle of the crowded Great Hall. “I just didn’t need to bring all my books with me,” he added with more confidence.

“What are you looking up? Need any help?” Hermione offered, not understanding that Harry wanted to be left alone.

“No, not really. I’m looking up a few ideas for the DA class.” Well, that was partly true and an easy lie to say. Hermione must have bought his reply for she didn’t say anything else. She did however reach for a pudding dessert and started sharing with Ron.

Ginny, however, didn’t believe what she heard. Harry was a little too nervous with his answer, and knowing him pretty well over the years, she was able to read him clearly. He was obviously hiding something, but knew that now was not the time to ask.

“I’ll see you in the Common Room when you’re finished?” she smiled at Harry.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” he replied with his own smile. “But I don’t know when I’ll be finished.”

“That’s okay. I have a ton of reading to do. I’m not going anywhere.”

A few minutes later, they all got up and headed in different directions. Harry and Ginny went upstairs until the fourth floor. Harry turned towards the library whereas Ginny continued up the Gryffindor House on the seventh floor, but not before giving his arm a squeeze and telling him she’ll be waiting for him. Ron and Hermione stayed on the ground floor to perform their prefect duties.

***

Harry knew what he wanted to look up but wasn’t quite sure how to go about it. He couldn’t ask for assistance because that would give him away. For whatever reasons, Dumbledore didn’t want anybody else in on this, which was okay with Harry.

Upon entering the library, he went straight to Madam Pince at her desk. “I have Professor Dumbledore’s permission to do some research in the Restricted Section. Did he tell you?”

“I have no earthly idea what you should be doing in that section, but Headmaster Dumbledore has given his authority. No one may go in with you and you cannot take any books out with you. Is that understood, Mr. Potter?”

“Yes, madam.” One might think she owned each and every book personally, as if she was doing you a favor. But Harry didn’t argue with her. He just went over to the Restricted Section, ducked under the ropes, and stood in front of the card catalog. He noticed he got a few looks from some of the younger students but he didn’t pay much attention to them. He was nervous enough as it was.

Harry started looking up “Voldemort.” There were about half a dozen books but no interesting sounding titles. A few biographies on the Dark Lord, not what he was looking for.

Under “Dark Arts”, he found a few promising titles. He set up his supplies and started writing down the book names. Then he found each book and examined the Table of Contents.

“History Of The Dark Arts” by Adriana Gladwin, 1893. If the subject matter weren’t dark magic, this would be something he expected in his history class. Unfortunately, he knew that this book wasn’t going to be helpful.

“Black Curses” by Michaela Pulford, 1729. Who used what and when. He looked up a few pages to see what they were about, but it included more historical events, than curses.

“Defense Against The Dark Arts” 2nd Ed, by Rowanne Targrass, 1902. This book looked promising. He pulled it and placed it on the table to examine later.

“Power To Overcome” by Gervasius Moshtagh, 1681. Harry grumbled. The book was more of a self-improvement program to stop using Dark Arts in your life.

“Reign Of Terror” by Delmar Hopkinson, 1984. Another failure. More of history from a victim’s point of view.

“Grindwald — The First Dark War” by Wallace Cotsgrove, 1951. Harry changed his mind immediately and crossed it off his list.

“The Dark Forces: A Guide To Self-Protection” by Quentin Trimble. Another promising book he pulled off the shelf and took over to the table.

Half way through studying “Defense Against The Dark Arts,” it referenced a passage in “Black Curses.” So he went back and pulled it.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry looked up and saw Madam Pince looking sternly at him, standing just outside the rope barrier.

“It is five to eight. The library closes in five minutes. Will you please return those books back in their proper places and gather your things together?”

“Yes, madam. And thank you.” Harry returned the three books, rolled up his parchments, and capped his ink bottle. Then he placed everything in his book bag and left the library. He was the last student out the door.

***

Ginny was sitting in the overstuffed chair by the fireplace when Harry entered the Common Room. As she stated earlier, there were a few books on her lap, one open, keeping her attention. Harry sat across from her in a chair close to the wall so that he could see anybody coming close to him and nobody could get behind him. His “slump” into the chair made Ginny look up.

“Back so soon?”

“Well, yea. The library closes at eight o’clock. I could have spent another hour at least.”

“You could have checked out whatever books you need and continue studying here, you know,” she stated matter-of-factly.

Without thinking, Harry replied, “No, I can’t check out these books.” As soon as he saw Ginny’s face, he realized he said too much.

“So, it’s true,” she whispered loudly. “I overheard some second years say you were in the Restricted Section for a long time.” She didn’t remove her gaze from him.

“I can’t talk about it, please?”

She also noticed he never put down the book bag. Actually, he was holding on to it like an old woman not wanting her purse snatched.

“Are you going to continue studying in here?” she asked, watching his defensive posture.

“Er, no. I don’t have enough to study yet.”

“Then why don’t you lock up your bag in your trunk and come back down and keep me company. I have a couple of questions about Transfiguration I need to ask you.”

He agreed and they spent the remainder of the evening in the overstuffed chair, Ginny almost on top of Harry, studying Transfiguration and other topics. Ginny didn’t bring up Harry’s research again.

***

A few days later when Harry had more time, he planned to continue his research. First, however, he had to eat dinner. The four of them met in the Common Room and walked down to the Great Hall together.

“So, what’s the game plan for tonight? You want to play some chess later?” Ron asked Harry.

“Er, yea, maybe later. I want to look up something after dinner, but I’ll meet you in the Common Room afterwards.”

“On a Friday night? You’re getting as nutters as ’Mione. You know that,” Ron muttered.

“No. I don’t think I’ll ever get that bad,” he replied, looking at the backs of the two women in front of them. Ron sniggered, lucky that they didn’t hear that portion of their conversation.

After dinner, they all did the return trip back to their Common Room. Ron and Hermione sat at one of the tables and Ginny took over the overstuffed chair. Harry went up to his dormitory and retrieved his book bag in his trunk. As he walked through the room towards the Portriat Hole, Ginny looked at him with a sad smile on her face.

“I’ll be here,” she softly yelled out to him.

Harry nodded with a smile of his own and went out. Ginny noted that Hermione was watching Harry carrying his new book bag.

***

In the library, Harry nodded to Madam Pince and ducked under the ropes into the Restricted Section. He pulled out the three books he looked at last time that he thought might be the most promising. He again set his materials out to start taking notes, and then tackled the books, one at a time.

Once in a while he would notice another student in the library looking at him. He didn’t really understand what it meant for any student to be allowed to look at anything in the Restricted Section. Harry was sneaking in the Restricted Section since his first year.

An hour and a half later Harry closed the last book and put it away. Then he sat down and stared at his notes he’d taken. He’d taken thorough notes. It’s just that he really hated what it was he wrote.

Cruciatus Curse or Crucio:
· Used to cause extreme pain all over the body.
· Long exposure will cause insanity and death.
· Acts like a tingling sensation and immediately absorbs into the body.
· Wand twisting at curse can change type of pain.
· Totally disrupts the nervous system.
· Overloads sensory system.
· Will fry your brain.
· No counter-curse. Once you’re hit, you suffer.
· Outlawed. Life sentence at Azkaban.
· To use, must really hate and want to cause pain.

Avada Kedavra
· Kills instantly, no counter-curse.
· Identified by green light or energy from wand.
· Consumes magical energy from user unless experienced.
· To use, must be focused and want to kill.
· Absorbs all life’s energy from victim like shorting a battery.
· Outlawed and unforgivable, life in Azkaban.

Harry was hesitant to roll up his parchment and put everything away in his bag. Just having notes of these dark curses gave him an anxiety attack of sorts. It physically bothered him. The only good thing he felt as he left the library was that he had fifteen minutes to spare before closing.

***

There were about a dozen students in the Gryffindor Common Room as Harry entered. He strode over to the chair he sat in last time against the wall. Ginny was in her favorite chair facing him.

“Harry, you look awful. What happened?” Ginny said with concern.

“Nothing. I just came from the library.” Just that thought made him hold his bag a little tighter.

Hermione must have overheard him because she got up from one of the tables and sat next to Ginny. She looked at his bag before looking at him.

“So, have you been studying again?” she wondered innocently.

“Yea. Just a little,” he admitted.

“In the Restricted Section again?” she added. "I heard you were in there."

“Er, yeah,” Harry hesitated. He didn’t want to have this discussion, especially with Hermione. She could be too smart for her own good some times.

“I guess you don’t want to talk about it, do you?” She sounded a little disappointed.

“No. I really don’t,” Harry replied with some finality in his voice.

“Well then, I’ll leave you two alone.” With that she got up and went back over to the table.

“You didn’t enjoy that, did you?” It was Ginny’s turn to ask questions.

“Did it show that much?”

“It did to me. And you look like a nervous wreck,” she added.

“I feel terrible. Almost like having the chills. I think my studying is having an effect on me. I don’t like what I’m doing.”

“But you won’t stop, will you?”

“No. Not yet. I’m not quite finished yet,” Harry said, almost whispering.

“Harry, come here.” Ginny scooted to one side of the overstuffed chair, making room for Harry. He moved to sit down next to her. She opened her legs, one hanging over the chair and one up on the cushion resting on the back. She patted the space in between.

“Here, sit in front of me.”

Harry followed her direction and ended sitting directly in front of her, his back to her, her legs straddling him. In this position, Ginny could easily lean over and press her chest onto his back while wrapping her arms around him, rubbing his chest. As funny as they looked, they were both comfortable.

“Now let’s see if I can work those chills out,” she hinted. They stayed that way till it was time to turn in for the evening. Harry was quite relaxed when he climbed into his bed that night.


A/N: Don't panic! Chapters 2 and 3 are written and are being beta-ed.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=2671