Search:

SIYE Time:20:18 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Secret Gifts
By WaterLily

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 23
Summary: Christmas a year after Ginny leaves school. Everyone but Ginny knows what Harry is giving her for Christmas. What is it? And why is it so special? Short, sweet, fluffy one-shot!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4751







ChapterPrinter



A Secret Gift

Harry paced nervously at the end of his bed. It was Christmas Eve and he would much prefer facing ten more Dark Lords than go through with his plan. Oh, he knew that he wanted to. But how was he supposed to do it? How could so many people go through this? Even his father had done it! It couldn’t be that hard. Could it? After a few moments of calm, he paced again.

“Relax, mate. You don’t have to do anything until tomorrow morning until presents are opened,” Ron stood casually in the doorframe.

“What if she doesn’t like it? What if she doesn’t want it? She said she just wanted some sweets and a new book. This isn’t what she expected!”

“Stop freaking out! She’ll love it! It used to be your mum’s didn’t it?”

“Yes,” he sighed.

“You love her don’t you?”

“Yes!” He was appalled that Ron even had to ask that. After nearly three years of dating, he loved her enough to die for her!

“Then you’re set,” exclaimed Ron, “because she loves you. You love her. You’re giving her a family heirloom that hasn’t been industrially made for centuries. Now calm down and get to bed. You’ll need the rest and I dread to think what kind of wreck you’ll be on the actually day!”

~*~

The next day, Ginny slid down the banister as she had done when she was a little girl. She was so excited! Christmas was the most magical day of the year, in her opinion! With Her red hair dancing behind her, she bounced into the living room. The rest of the family had already started trickling down, attracted to the humungous tree like bees to flowers.

When the last family member had arrived, presents started being handed out to all the Weasleys and the friends considered family. Harry and Hermione were, of course, at the Burrow. Harry had lived in Percy’s old room since he left school and Hermione was always around now and then to visit Ron. Remus and Tonks had made an appearance, along with some of the old DA members, like Neville and Luna.

Ginny, who was closest to the tree, handed out most of the gifts. She didn’t mind. She could stay close to the fire and see who had gotten presents from whom. As soon as all the gifts had been distributed, she noticed that Harry was looking a bit pale. She skipped over to him and flopped on his lap, kissing him lightly on the lips.

“I love you,” she whispered, so that only he could hear.

He smiled weakly and tightened his arms around her petite body, already feeling butterflies near his navel. Sometimes, he wondered if this woman was a Portkey to his personal heaven.

He hadn’t been this terrified since he had faced Voldemort just after his seventh year. He had destroyed the Horcruxes during his NEWT year; there really wasn’t any need to drop out of school. He had enjoyed teaching the DA so much that he was now training to become the Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher at Hogwarts. Facing Voldemort? Sure, annual event. Controlling thirty rowdy second years? Piece of cake. Giving the love of his life a Christmas present? Run, Harry, hide!

Ginny must have sensed his unease because she hugged him back, hard, wrapping him in her love and cheerfulness.

In the mêlée of the Burrow, he slipped off the chair and settled to open his own presents at Ginny’s feet, occasionally throwing glances at her, curled up on her cushions like a cat.

Had she noticed yet?

“Harry? Where’s my present?” Ginny demanded, hands on hips. Honestly, she had even told him what she wanted! Nothing fancy or expensive; just a good romance novel and a large box of Sugar Quills. As a Healer-in-training, she needed all the sugar boost she could get! Was he really so dense?

Yup. She had noticed.

He sighed and walked to the centre of the room. All eyes were on him. Even Cherie, Bill and Fleur’s little girl was watching him with wide blue eyes.

“Er…Ginny…I couldn’t…er…get you that book you wanted. So I…I got you something else.”

Ginny smiled in relief. Was that it? He was nervous because he thought she would be angry? Oh, the fool! He should know that…

“Harry, I would love anything that you got me. Why didn’t you put it under the tree like all the other ones?”

”Because,” he ran a hand through his hair, making his bed-head even messier, “it isn’t the type of present you would just keep under the tree…I have to…er…give it to you.”

“So,” she cocked her head to the side, her eyes glinting in playfulness, “give it to me.”

He looked flustered and began to frantically search his pockets.

While he did, she looked around the room at the most important people in her life; her father and Bill were sharing sympathetic looks; Ron, Charlie and Neville sported smug knowing smiles; Fleur and Tonks were whispering animatedly; Remus wore a nostalgic smile as he watched Harry; and Hermione, Luna and her mother were beaming encouragingly. Fred and George were hiding something near the door with identical wicked grins, as if they were about to pull a prank. Uh oh! She whirled back round to face Harry and nearly fell off her armchair in surprise

He had come forward until he was right in front of her and taken out a small velvet box. He fumbled with the fastenings as he spoke. Ginny was shocked, stunned even. She couldn’t move. Was he doing what she thought he was?

“Ginny…er…ever since,” his voice became stronger as the words flowed from his heart, “ever since that day on the Platform, when you ran after the train, I knew I loved you. In your first year, when we wrote to Tom,” he never said that it was Ginny alone who had exposed herself to Tom Riddle; they were in it together, “I knew I loved you. I loved you when you stood up to me, when you insisted on coming with us to the Department of Mysteries. I loved you in my sixth year when I learnt about Voldemort’s Horcruxes. I loved you for your strength when I broke up with you; for your sparkle when the world was dark and for the kindness of your heart when I begged you for forgiveness. I don’t like you; I love you, Ginny. I don’t think you’re pretty; I think you’re a vision of beauty. I don’t want to be with you; I need to be with you. And I’m begging you once more. Ginny Weasley, Will you marry me?”

Harry finished his speech softly and opened the box that held the ring, offering it to her.

Ginny’s eyes were streaming with tears. She had never heard anything so romantic in her life. This was better than any romance novel. She looked at the ring and gasped. It was a thin, silver band with a single, delicate rose and stem illustrated in minuscule rubies and emeralds. It was goblin wrought and as far as she knew, the only one in existence.

Harry cleared his throat and looked up at her anxiously. She had stared at him with her mouth open for a few minutes now. Green eyes met brown as the room waited with baited breath.

Suddenly, Ginny pushed herself off the armchair and into Harry’s arms, knocking the wind out of him. She kissed him hard as his arms wrapped around her waist.

“Yes,” she whispered against his lips, a perpetual smile on her face, loud enough for the whole room to hear.

Amongst cheers, squeals and snaps of photographs, Harry slipped the ring onto Ginny’s finger, with tears glistening in his eyes, and whispered, “It was my mother’s. I want you to have it. Apparently, it’s a family heirloom and there’s only one that was ever made. I just wanted you to know that you’ve given me the best Christmas present ever.”

“Harry, I had wanted a book and I get a fiancé! I love this present. I love you so much it hurts,” she threw her arms around him and sobbed into his pajamas.

~*~

Finally, at breakfast, Fred and George appeared from the staircase holding a large box.

“Hey lovebirds!”

“We thought we should commemorate…”

“…this wonderful Christmas with a few photographs.”

“Happy flicking!”

They dumped a stack of photos each into Harry and Ginny’s hands and went to scrounge some food.

There were photos of every possible moment: Harry was kneeling; Ginny was turning to him in shock; Harry was talking in dozens of them, with Ginny in different stages of crying; Harry and Ginny were kissing; Harry was putting the ring onto Ginny’s finger; they were hugging, still on the floor, while the rest of the room were up and crowded together. There were no words to say how happy the couple were.

~*~

After a full day of planning, preparations and talks, Harry and Ginny finally got some time to themselves. They went out onto the porch and sat together on the swing, snuggled up with a blanket and hot chocolate to watch the sunset over Stoatshead Hill.

Throughout the day, they had decided to have a Valentines’ wedding, leaving only two months for preparations; they would have many red and raven haired, brown and green eyed children, and would move into Potter Manor when they got married.

“I like the sound of being Mrs Potter.”

Harry chuckled quietly, a deep rumbling sound that made Ginny weak at the knees.

“Imagine my feeling when I finally get to call you my wife! I’m going to love that!”

They both laughed together and then settled onto a comfortable silence.

“I still can’t believe that you said ‘yes’. I keep thinking that I will wake up and this will be a dream. That Voldemort will still be alive and I won’t be with you anymore.”

Ginny squeezed him lightly assuring him that this wasn’t a dream.

“I love you, Harry. Don’t ever doubt that. Even if I yell at you when I’m pregnant, if I’ve had a bad day, I will always love you. And I know that you will always love me.”

“I don’t just love you, Ginny. I love you to the moon and back, and much more. I never thought I could ever love anyone this much,” his voice cracked slightly as he placed small kisses on Ginny’s neck.

She giggled and whispered back, “I love you, too.”

“I love you, three.”

His eyes laughed and glittered in the setting sun; his strong arms bringing Ginny even closer to him under the blanket, the hot chocolate forgotten. Ginny grinned. Two could play at this game!

“I love you, four!”

She challenged him, sticking her tongue out childishly. Her chocolate brown eyes were reflecting her playfulness; her soft red hair was fluttering in the gentle breeze; her cheeks tinged pink from the frosty snowflakes.

Harry gave a lazy smile and gently kissed her lips. He drew back and whispered in her ear.

“I love you more.”


Disclaimer: Just my version of what could happen next - it really belongs to JKR

Reviews 23
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear