Search:

SIYE Time:5:21 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


If Tomorrow Never Comes
By jessi_rose

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Remus Lupin
Genres: Angst, Drama, Songfic
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 9
Summary: Harry goes off into the final battle, while Ginny waits on the sidelines.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3579





Author's Notes:
This is a songfic one-shot to "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by Garth Brooks. Please leave a review! :) ~Jessi




ChapterPrinter


A chaotic calm settled in the walls of the Burrow. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting for the time that they could let loose. There were few words spoken - most conversation being done through body language. This prompted an early goodnight from two of the younger inhabitants. Harry Potter lay on his side, head propped up into his hands, messy jet black hair spread loosely over his forehead, staring down into the eyes of the love of his life. He leaned down and sweetly kissed her forehead, where the worry lines were beginning to form. He was hoping that she felt the promise of this return in his lips, instead of the fear that was beginning to take hold of him. A sparkling tear glided down her cheek as she thought of what tomorrow could bring. She knew that she couldn't beg him to stay. Even if she did, he wouldn't. He wanted everything to be over with; she respected that decision. His thick thumb came down to her flushed face and swept away the tears that were falling more freely from her hazel eyes.

"It will be okay, love," Harry whispered to her in the dark. "You are the reason that I have to survive. I'm coming back to you." He had a hard time reading her facial expressions; it was dark, and she was confused. The hard-headed fighter inside of her was wrestling with the fearful fire that was erupting in her soul. The smile that she gave him was confident, and somehow, scared and worried. It was different from the smile that he was used to from everyone else; this one said "I have faith in you, I love you...Just come home safe."

Harry sighed, thinking about what the next few hours would bring. He brushed his soft lips against hers, and put his hands around to the small of her back. He moved his lips from her mouth to her ear and whispered in a desperate attempt to comfort her, "I love you, Ginny."

"I love you too, Harry," she said against his chest. She was fighting back more tears. She didn't want their last night to be spent crying, so she forced another smile on her face. She looked up at him, his green eyes penetrating through her puffy hazel ones, and moved a ginger piece of hair from her eyes. "Can you hold me until I fall asleep?"

Harry smiled and pulled her closer to him. Her head lay on his chest, her arms around his stomach. He was holding her protectively around the waist, daring anything to come between them. It was minutes before Ginny's eyes fluttered shut and she drifted into a deep sleep. Harry continued to hold her, thinking more and more of what was to come. He wanted to refuse the battle, he never wanted to let Ginny go.

Sometimes late at night,
I lye awake and watch her sleeping,
She's lost in peaceful dreams as I turn out the light,
And lay there in the dark.

And the thought crosses my mind,
If I never wake up, in the morning,
Would she ever doubt, the way I feel about her,
In my heart.



Harry looked down at the sleeping form, wishing that he didn't have to leave. His heart was breaking with every gently breath she took. It ripped him up to know that in just an hours time he would come face to face with his destiny. What scared him more was not Voldemort, but what would happen to Ginny if things went badly. Could she handle never seeing him again? Was she strong enough to move on? Does she truly know how much I love her? If tonight is my last night, and she were to be without my comfort tomorrow, would she know in her heart that she is my everything? The thoughts jumped through his head as Ginny sqeamed under the weight of his arms. He wanted her to never doubt the feelings he had for her. If it truly was the end, he needed her to know exactly how much he loved her.

He removed her arms slowly from his waist, trying hard not to wake her. He rolled her to the side and put a few pillows next to her, to fill in the emptiness. He crossed her room to the desk that was aligned against the wall under the window and took out a piece of parchment and quill. He was going to write her a good-bye letter, just in case. He would tell Hedwig to send it only if things turned out horribly. He stared at the blank parchment as thoughts and romantic gestures crawled through his brain. What were the right words? How do you say good-bye to someone for forever? He started it with Ginny, my love . Tears were stinging his eyes - tomorrow she might wake up, and all that will be left was his letter.

If tomorrow never comes,
will she know how much I love her?
Did I try in every way,
to show her everyday
that she's my only one?

If my time on earth were through,
And she must face this world without me.
Is the love I gave her in the past,
gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes?



Drip. Drip. Drip. The tears fell from his eyes, down his cheeks, to his jawbone and fell with soft plops on the parchment. The parchment crinkled in the spots that the salty drops landed. Trying to dry the tears, he smoothed over the surface of the letter and reread what he wrote. It sounded perfect. It would explain all of his emotions, every ounce of love that he felt for the fiery red head. But just as he folded the parchment and stuffed it in his jeans, a soft and motherly voice called into the room.

"Harry, dear. It is time," Mrs. Weasley said as she peaked her head into the room. "Remus and Severus are waiting for you in the kitchen."

"I'll be right there, Mrs. Weasley," Harry said politely and nodded. He walked over to Ginny and grabbed her hand. He let his lips trace little circles on her palms. He then made his way to her mouth, kissing her one last time. "I love you is so simple compared to how I feel for you. I'll always be here," he whispered to her sleeping ears. He placed his hands over her heart and sighed. After finally tearing his eyes away from her, he made his way to the kitchen to find Severus and Remus. Both would accompany him, to make sure that he wouldn't be alone. As uneasy as Harry felt about Snape being there, he was grateful that he had pledged his allegiance to the Order. The trio walked from the house, after each was given kind hugs from Molly (Harry stifled back a laugh at Snapes appalled face). It was time, the final battle, the epitome of Harry's life. All waiting just one pop away. He took one look back at the Burrow before he disappeared into the night.

I've lost loved ones in my life,
Who never knew how much I loved them,
And I live with the regret that my true feelings for them
Never were revealed.

So I made a promise to myself,
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance where there's no second chance
To tell her how I feel.


"Harry, pleasure seeing you again. Although it will be the last time," Voldemort hissed when Harry had shown before him. "It is a terrible fate that awaits you. So young and powerful. Filled with tons of potential too."

"Lets just get this over with, Tom," Harry spat. Snape and Remus looked at Harry, in shock, wondering where he got the guts to speak to the Dark Lord this way. Snape started toward Harry, trying to protect him, but Harry held out a hand. "I know you are trying to help, but right now, its just him and I." Harry stared into Snapes glittering black eyes and saw a flash of understanding. He drew his gaze to Voldemort, worry now filling his stare.

"Severus, you have disappointed me," he said as he shook his head.

"No, it is you that disappoint me, Lord Voldemort."

"Rictasempra," Harry shouted as he flung his wand out toward Voldemort. The spell was easily discarded by him, and was matched with the Cruciatus curse. Curse after curse flew between the two, some from Voldemort attempting to hit the bystanders - none hitting, though. Harry was on his hands and knees, sweat covering his forehead, blood seeping from fresh cuts on his skin. Voldemort stood over him and kicked him to the ground.

"Any last words, you pathetic brat," asked Voldemort in a genuinely evil sneer. "I will allow you one request."

"Remus," Harry said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the parchment. "Take this to her." Remus caught the parchment that Harry had flown to him and stood in shock. He wasn't going to leave him to die. Not if he could help it. "Go, both of you. I don't want you to see. GO NOW!" Harry screamed and ripped his throat. Pain was flooding his body, three fold to what he had ever felt before. "Go," he whispered as he watched Severus shake his head. "Please." With a tiny pop they were both gone and back to the Burrow.

Harry lifted his head to look at Voldemort. "That was noble, Harry. You know they will die anyways?"

"I don't want them to see. Just do it," Harry whispered. His mind was flooded with memories and images of Ginny. He wanted her to be his final thought. Voldemort raised his wand....


If tomorrow never comes,
Will she know how much I love her
Did I try in every way,
To show her every day
That she's my only one...



"Ginny," Remus said as he shook her from her sleep. "There is news." Something in his voice was off. He sounded weak and as if he had been crying.

"Where's Harry?" She asked as she bolted up from her bed. Her sleepy eyes darted around the room, expecting to see him standing in the corner. She saw nothing. All she could hear were sobs from the kitchen - her mothers sobs.

"He...Ginny...He's...." Remus looked at her, his eyes shining with tears. How was he supposed to tell her that a boy that he had thought a son, her love of her life, was not coming back. "Harry wished for me to give his to you." Remus handed her a small piece of parchment that was folded into an envelop. "Take your time, Gin. I'll be outside your door."

Ginny opened the letter with trembling fingers. Tears were burning her eyes. Surely it was just going to tell her that he needed time to sort things out...Or that he was going to St. Mungos... Or that he would be back soon....But the letter said none of those things. It said things that Ginny never dreamed she would read.

Ginny, my love,
I know that you are expecting words of encouragement with this letter. I am sad to say that this letter serves only two purposes. If you are reading this without me, I did not survive the battle. I can say that I tried my hardest, because I was trying for us. I love you, Gin. Everything in my life has been leading up to you. I am so in love with you...so entranced by you. I want you to feel my love forever. You are the most wonderful person I have ever met. Don't give up hope....Live, Laugh, Love. You're always my forever. I love you.
Loving you completely,
Harry


Ginny put the letter to her heart and began to sob loudly. Remus listened outside the door, fighting himself on whether to go in and comfort her. Molly came running up the stairs. "You told her?" She asked disbelievingly.

"Harry told her," he replied stonily. "He wrote a goodbye letter, just in case."

"Oh my..." Mrs. Weasley sighed. "Come, I'll make tea. We have a lot to discuss. Severus will be back, he went to collect Harry's remains.... should...should...should there be any."

If my time on Earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes.



Severus apparated next to a crumpled heap on the stone ground. "What the...."

~*~

"Ginny?"

"What the..."

Blood and sweat mingled on his face. Tears were beginning to mix in. He was weak and cold. He walked toward her with pain in every step that he took. He held out his hands to her, hoping that she would accept. When her soft, porcelain hands met his, a flame ignited in his heart. "I couldn't let him kill me," he whispered against her hand as he kissed it.

"I got your letter," she said painfully. Her throat was burning from holding back tears. "I love you, Harry Potter."

"Oh God, Ginny," he said in a strained voice. Just hearing those words from her mouth meant the world to him. He collapsed on the floor in front of her, holding her hand a bringing her down with him. "I love you," he said as he planted kissed all over her. "Always my forever. Always," he whispered as he kissed her forehead.

"Ginny...we heard. What the....." Remus said, staring at the couple in disbelief. "What? What? Ummm..." He shut the door tight, escorting Molly away to the kitchen. "Let's go get some tea. I think...there's been a bit of a miracle."

"A what?!" Molly screeched, causing Harry and Ginny to break apart.

"I'll tell you over tea," Remus laughed as he gestured to the kitchen.

Harry chuckled along with Ginny. There would be time for questions and concerns later. Right now, he had his Ginny. He had his forever. He had his life. "Ginny?"

"Yes, love," she asked, cupping his face in her hands.

"I have....forever with you, now. Did you know?"

"It looks like it, Mr. Potter. I hope you can stand me!"

"I'll do my best, love. Oh, and Ginny..."

"What now, Harry?" She asked, exasperated by his stopping kisses.

"You have aweful morning breath," he chuckled as she slapped his arm playfully.

So tell that someone that you love
Just what you're thinking of
If tomorrow never comes.
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear