Search:

SIYE Time:11:45 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Next Year, Baby
By brittpinkie

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: Harry makes some early New Year's resolutions...
Hitcount: Story Total: 5122





Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I wish it were mine. However, everything belongs to J.K. Rowling.




ChapterPrinter


Just a little bunny I had floating around in my head. I was inspired by the Jamie Cullum song of the same name. Enjoy :)


Next Year, Baby


Harry stared at the ceiling with a sullen expression. He couldn’t believe the nerve of Ginny; kicking him out of her flat in the middle of their date was completely uncalled for. Okay, so he had showed up an hour late. But the Order meeting had ran over and it wasn’t really his fault- Professor McGonagall and Tonks had spent a lot of time reviewing the new safety strategies and had made all of them late. And fine- so, he had shown up at her flat a bit tipsy. But he had to unwind with Ron at The Leaky Cauldron- couldn’t she understand that?

He let out a long and heavy sigh. It seemed like he couldn’t do anything right anymore. Everyone had been under a lot of stress with the war against Voldemort waging on, but Ginny seemed to be constantly on edge. Every time they had a moment together, it seemed as if she spent it nagging at him. Yes, he did have a lot of bad habits- but she really didn’t need to point them out during every waking moment, did she?

He had enough to worry about with finding the Horcruxes; nearly a year had passed since he, Ron, and Hermione had started the search and so far they hadn’t found a single Horcrux. Finally, after deciding to take a break from the search a few months ago, the three of them packed up and headed home.

After many late night talks and frustrating conversations, Ginny and Harry had resumed their relationship. They had both decided to date in secret; save the members of the Order of the Phoenix and a few close friends from Hogwarts, no one knew that they were together. Harry figured it would be harder for Voldemort to find out about them, if less people knew.

Most of the time, things with Ginny were great. Harry felt wonderful with her beside him, and he honestly knew that they were meant to be together. But it was nights like this one when he found himself wondering if things would work out after all.

Besides the nagging, she had been a bit cold and distant since he had gotten home. The first few days, in which they decided to rekindle their romance, were great, but it all seemed to go down hill from there. She didn’t seem to want to be around him very often; she was always busy doing some work for the Order, and when she wasn’t busy with that, she was too tired to spend time with him. They had finally agreed on having a date every Thursday night, and sometimes even that got interrupted.

Tonight, Harry had barely walked through the door when Ginny turned on him. Her eyes seemed like they were on fire as she caught a whiff of his breath and accused him of being drunk. Harry insisted that he only had a few drinks, but she didn’t seem to hear him as she began to list all the things he needed to work on. She prattled on until she was crying, and through her tears she admitted that she doubted that Harry even loved her. Harry had tried to pull her into a hug, but before he could even make a move to console her, Ginny had ordered him out of her flat and he had quickly Apparated home.

It really bothered Harry that Ginny doubted his feelings for her. He suspected those thoughts had been the underlying reason for why she had been so distant lately, but he wasn’t sure how to prove himself. He loved Ginny, he knew that for certain. And even though he had never actually found the confidence to utter those words to her, there was no doubt in his mind how he really felt. I guess she’s right, he realized with a resigned sigh, there are a few things I could stand to work on.

He glanced at a blank piece of parchment on the table. Ginny had probably already gone to bed, and it was too late to even Floo over and apologize. Maybe if I wrote her a letter…

He grabbed a quill and chewed the end of it before starting.

Ginny,

I’ve been thinking about what you said tonight. Well, the New Year is quite a while away, but I promise you that I’m going to make some resolutions to change a few things. First of all, I’m going to stop taking your brother out for rounds of Firewhiskey on weekdays; I know how much you hate when we do that. Second, I promise to become a more well rounded chap- I’m going to start reading some of the books Hermione recommended to me and I’ll try and keep up with the Daily Prophet (even though most of it is a load of rubbish). I’ll spend less money on new Qudditch supplies- you were right; I don’t need them anyway, unless I decide to join Puddlemere after all. I’ll even learn how to cook- won’t it be nice for me to be the one making you dinner for once? I’m going to start paying my bills on time, cleaning up after myself, waking up early in the morning…

Merlin, who I am kidding? Resolutions are nice, but will I do any of these things? Probably not. And even though you yelled at me for the lot of this tonight, I know you don’t really care about the fact that I keep my flat a mess and that I haven’t done my laundry in a week. I guess the thing that you really want to hear is that I love you.

I love you, Ginevra. I know that life is hard right now, and we’re all worried about Voldemort. What you’re doing for the Order is a lot of work, but you’re doing great at it. You’re such an inspiration to me, and I’m so blessed to have you in my life.
So, I guess I’m saying that even if I can’t change all the things I started off with at the beginning of this letter, the least I can do is be honest about how I feel for you. I love you more than anything else in the entire Wizarding world, and I hope you never doubt that again. The only resolution that matters is the one where I prove to you how much I love you, each and every day.

-Harry


Harry reread the letter. Perhaps Ginny was right and he was drunk. He wasn’t sure where all the emotion in the letter had come from. But as he read the last few paragraphs again, he knew it was exactly right. He whistled for Hedwig and attached the letter to her talons before sending her soaring off into the night sky and to Ginny’s flat.








A/N: Thanks for reading! I'm thinking of writing a part two from Ginny's point of view (wow, that rhymed!). And yes, I am working on the next chapter of WLTG (about time, huh?). Until then...review! :)
Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear