Search:

SIYE Time:0:37 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Final Flame
By YelloWitchGrl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 235
Summary: COMPLETED!!! Following the events Harry Potter is focused and determined to fulfill a destiny that only he can fulfill. Simple isn't it? Track down and destroy piece by piece the Darkest Wizard to ever live. If only things were that simple for Harry. Watch as the his best friends come closer together, the Order crumbles with a traitor in their midst, and the people he cares about the most suffer through heartache and trial. Can Harry succeed and if he does will there be anything for him to come home to?
Hitcount: Story Total: 175403; Chapter Total: 5737





Author's Notes:
If you review then you get a gold star! I have heard from several other author friends that reviews are down and it is disheartening for them. If you want your favorite authors to update quicker, then REVIEW!!! Even if you want to say “this chapter was a bit blah because…”



I didn't review when I first started reading fanfiction because I felt like I might sound stupid but as someone reading the reviews, I can assure you that it isn’t ever the case! If you want to comment on a story, then go right ahead! Almost every author welcomes all helpful remarks.



Thank you Wolf’s Scream and JPx for beta’ing for me!!!


If you would like spoilers and previews a few days early of each chapter, or to discuss this story or any others of mine, you can join my yahoo group. Details are in my profile.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Harry…” Hermione whispered softly in his ear, as he stood frozen, facing the tombs. “Harry… I know this is hard for you. If you want to go back to the tent, that’s fine.”

Did he want to go back to the tent? Oddly enough, he didn’t. Harry shut his eyes momentarily as he shook his head. Then he put one foot in front of the other and walked towards Voldemort’s rebirthing place and where Cedric had died. “I’m fine.” He wasn’t but Harry knew he could get through this.

“So this is it?” Ron asked, looking around warily.

“Yeah…” Harry replied slowly. “This is it.”

Hermione pulled out her notebook and began to make notes again around the place. “I promise to make this short, but I really have to understand his motivation if I’m going to find the next Horcrux.”

“It’s fine, Hermione,” Harry assured her even though he had been itching to continue their hunt. The problem was that Harry had no idea where the next Horcrux was located. For that he needed Hermione, and if she could locate it for him, he was going to give her the time she needed to research.

Hermione smiled weakly and began walking towards the center of the graveyard. “I really want to check the grave that-” she froze mid-step as did Harry and Ron.

Most of the headstones towards the southern end of the cemetery were lying scattered about. Unbidden, memories of that night flashed through his mind. Harry knew that the stones had been shattered by spells, but he had thought they would have been repaired by now.

“I… I’ll work as quickly as possible,” Hermione promised hastily, and true to her word, she did. Harry and Ron stood in the middle of the chaos, silently watching her work.

An hour later, she walked back to them, looking flustered. “I found strong magical signatures everywhere, but none that were significant enough to point to a Horcrux.” Hermione tromped out of the cemetery. She sat down on the grass as she pulled her legs to her chest and rested her head on her knees. Hugging her legs, she said, “I just don’t know!”

Harry sat on her left and Ron on her right; he snuck an arm around her waist and Hermione leaned against her boyfriend. “What can’t you figure out?”

Sniffing quietly, Hermione said, “I don’t know where the next Horcrux is.”

That was not good news.

“Let’s think back, then,” Ron told her. “The diary was with Malfoy, the ring was at the Gaunt’s house and the locket was in the cave. What do all of those places have in common?”

Hermione shrugged and brought up her pale face to look at them. “I don’t know! Malfoy was obviously given the diary so that he or his son could plant it. The ring was placed in his ancestor’s house and the cave was where he tormented those children. We don’t have enough information about his past to truly determine what other places were important to him.”

“Except Hogwarts,” Harry said absently and then jumped when she squealed and hugged him tight.

“OH! Harry, you’re a genius!” Instantly, Hermione was on her feet and walking quickly back to where they had set up the tent.

Harry gazed blankly at Ron who was chuckling. “I don’t know what you said, mate, but I’m glad you said it.”

“So am I,” Harry replied honestly. “Well, come on, or she’ll likely leave without us.”




They were going to go back to Hogwarts. Harry had used his two-way mirror to check in with Remus and to let him know where they were going.

“I believe that Minerva is still there,” Remus said through the mirror. “Send your Patronus up the castle if you can’t get into the gates. She can let you in.”

They packed up the tent quickly and walked further into the woods to Apparate into Hogsmeade. This was, by far, their longest Apparation attempt yet but everything went smoothly until they saw the state of Hogsmeade.

“Blimey,” Ron muttered as he turned slowly to study the buildings. “They really did some damage.”

“Who’s there?!” A woman’s voice yelled at them, causing them to spin on the spot, each pulling their wands but realizing quickly that it wasn’t necessary. The woman had bubblegum pink hair. “Oh…” Tonks froze as she saw them. “What are you lot doing here?”

“Going up to Hogwarts,” Hermione said cautiously. “I borrowed a few books from Professor Binns last year and I want to return them.”

While it was true that Hermione had borrowed a few books on the four founders, it was only coincidence that she would get to return them today. At Tonks’ raised eyebrow, Harry knew she didn’t believe her. “Listen, have you heard from Ginny?” Harry asked suddenly, not really knowing why he did.

Tonks turned to study him but her eyes were blank in such a way that he could not tell what she was thinking. “I think you should get up to the castle.”

A nagging itch erupted in his brain. “You know what she’s doing?”

“Yeah,” Ron blurted out. “I want to know that my sister is safe!”

The older woman was silent for nearly a minute. The fact that it was unanswered questions about Ginny made it one of the most painful silences of Harry’s life. Finally she said, “I don’t think that any of us are safe, and you shouldn’t concern yourself with what Ginny is up to.”

Harry and Ron both opened their mouths to argue, but she had already spun and Apparated away. “What was that about?” Ron questioned blankly.

“I don’t know what she’s doing, but I do know that we’re not going to get anything from her,” Hermione replied as she adjusted her bag and began to walk up to the castle. “She’s an Auror, after all.”

Ron caught up to her easily. “So what was she doing in Hogsmeade?”

“Hogsmeade looked deserted; maybe the Ministry is watching for any activity there,” Harry replied as he jumped to avoid a rut in the road. “What do you think?”

“I think that’s likely,” Hermione replied, walking carefully through the washed out dirt road. “If Tonks was here then she’s probably notified any time someone does magic in town. I don’t think any of the locals survived the Death Eater attack.”

Harry froze and turned slowly to gaze back at the burnt out village in horror. “None?”

“I don’t think so, no,” Hermione answered softly. “I heard Ron’s dad talking about it.”

Ron’s face was a mask of horror as well. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Her lip trembled slightly as she turned and started her walk back up to the castle, but her remark came back to them, loud and clear. “We have enough things to worry about. I didn’t want to add to your burden when you were so worried about Ginny.”

Ron ran to catch up to her, taking her bag of books and capturing her hand in his. “Don’t try to spare us, all right? We can take it.”

Harry agreed wholeheartedly although he didn’t voice it. He didn’t need to because Hermione nodded in acquiescence. They walked in silence the rest of the distance to the gate.

It was locked, as Remus had warned it might be. Harry pulled his wand and closed his eyes. Instantly Ginny was there, but it was more a bittersweet ache now. He had messed up the wonderful relationship that they had had and now he wasn’t sure he would ever see her again, alive or otherwise. Thinking back to their first kiss, which was always a memory that was filled with elation, he shouted, “Expecto Patronum!

The silver stag erupted from Harry’s wand to canter up to the castle. When it disappeared through the front door, Harry turned to see that Ron and Hermione were leaning together, in silence. Harry felt a momentary twinge of longing but squashed it instantly. He had made his choice and Ginny had made hers. There was nothing he could do about it now.

They waited for nearly ten minutes before McGonagall finally pushed open the large door and walked out. She stopped at the top of the hill and stared down at them for a long moment before continuing her trek down to let them in. When her lined face finally met theirs through the iron poles, her mouth was set. “I am glad that Remus warned me that you three were coming.”

“It’s good to see you again, Professor,” Hermione replied with a small smile. “I’m sorry that it couldn’t be as your pupil.”

Her eyebrow arched in what Harry could now recognize as amusement. “I didn’t expect you to be back anyway. Well, come in. I am interested to see what you are doing at the castle, although,” here McGonagall cast a calculating look towards Harry, “I somehow doubt I am going to find out.”

Despite himself, Harry felt a sheepish grin tug at his lips. “Let’s go up to your office and I will explain a bit of what we’re doing.”

“Really?” The older woman’s voice was full of disbelief and resignation. “Well, come on then.”

They walked with only the sound of their footfalls accompanying them up to the head mistresses office and followed her in silently, taking a seat in the uncomfortable chairs that were positioned before her desk. After she had taken her seat, McGonagall asked, “So why are you here?”

Harry glanced up once at the portrait of Dumbledore, who wasn’t even bothering to feign sleep. He winked at Harry and nodded once. Harry knew how the old man felt. It was a fine line but he needed to tell her some of it. He looked back down to meet her stern eyes. “We need to search the school.”

Her demeanor did not change but her eyes briefly gave away her surprise. “I see… and just what are you searching for?”

The three friends looked at each other and then up at the large portrait on the wall. This time, however, the divine intervention that they were hoping for was not forthcoming. Dumbledore was now pretending to sleep. Frustrated, Harry groaned. “Why does he have to do that?”

“Professor,” Hermione said pleadingly. “We really can’t tell you and I… well I don’t think you really want to know.”

McGonagall sat back in her chair, her shoulders stiff and her face shocked. “I don’t?”

Hermione shook her head. “No… I really don’t believe you do.”

“I…” Professor McGonagall stopped whatever she was going to say and studied them. Harry and Ron squirmed a bit under her scrutiny, expecting her to dole out detention any minute but Hermione held firm. Harry had to admire her for that. Normally she was the one who would have caved in first. Eventually she nodded. “I suppose you are right. I don’t know that I want to know what you are up to. You have my permission to search the castle and you may stay in Gryffindor tower if you are going to be here overnight.”

“We will be,” Ron assured her. “We will need to search the whole castle.”

“That could take years, you know,” McGonagall said as she got to her feet. “I imagine that you are searching for something, but I have a question about whether or not what you are looking for can be found.” They waited quietly while she looked between them. “Also, how can you be sure that you can find it if Dumbledore couldn’t.”

Harry hadn’t thought of that. “Well-”

“You see Professor,” Hermione said, interrupting him and then glancing embarrassed at Harry. “Sorry, go ahead.”

“No, you can,” he assured her. He didn’t really know what to say anyway.

Hermione nodded and went on. “We believe that Professor Dumbledore wouldn’t have thought that it could be hidden here at Hogwarts.”

That seemed to catch her attention. “It couldn’t be hidden here?” Running a shaking hand across her brow, McGonagall nodded. “I can’t say that I understand, but you three have always had a knack for knowing things that you shouldn’t, so I am going to trust you. The castle is huge, so use your time wisely.”

McGonagall let out a long sigh. “The password to Gryffindor Tower is ‘Forbidden Forest’. I will let the house elves know that you are here and your meals will be served in the Great Hall on their normal timetable. I am still here, along with a few other professors.”

“Thanks, Professor,” the three said as they stood and followed her from the office, hauling their bags.

“I think you should settle in and then join us for lunch. You have about forty-five minutes.” She stopped at the bottom of the stairs and turned to them. “Don’t be late.”

“No, Professor,” they all replied instantly and watched her walk away from them. Turning around they went down the corridor to tread the familiar path to Gryffindor Tower.




After putting their stuff in their respective rooms, they met back down in the common room to head down for lunch. They walked down to the Great Hall, and when they pushed open the doors, Professor McGonagall, Professor Trelawney, Madame Pomfrey, Madame Hooch and Professor Flitwick greeted them from a single long table that occupied the hall. Harry wondered, briefly where Hagrid was, but decided not to question the uneasy professors. They could go down to visit their large friend soon enough.

“Hello,” Hermione replied awkwardly when they had sat down. The adults eyed them suspiciously, except for tiny Flitwick who smiled politely and asked each of them how they were doing. After they had answered with the standard ‘fine’ and ‘okay’, an uncomfortable silence descended on the room. The staff members were tense as they ate and Harry noted that whenever they got the chance, they would look up to study him.

As soon as they could, they escaped the torturous room.

“That was weird,” Ron muttered as they marched back up to the tower. “Nearly lost my appetite. Nearly.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and grinned up at him as she took his hand in hers. “Somehow, I doubt that.”

“I said, ‘nearly’,” Ron laughed and Harry shook his head. “Still, it was rather uncomfortable. It was almost like they expected us to attack them, or something.”

“I agree and it…” Hermione looked around and after seeing that no one was around, whispered, “I think they know that we’re up to something we shouldn’t be.”

Harry frowned, “But we should be doing this. Actually…” it clogged his throat to even think of it. “Dumbledore should be the one doing this too…”

“Yes, but it was almost like he knew that you would have to go it alone, in the end anyway.” Hermione said reassuringly. “I mean, Ron and I will be there until the very last second but we can’t kill him for you, even though we would want to.”

Harry shook his head. “I don’t know that you should-”

“Don’t even finish that, mate!” Ron growled. “We’re going to be there until the last minute, when you finally finish the bastard off.”

If you’re still alive by then…” then another thought melted over him. “If I’m still alive to kill him.”

Instantly Hermione had her hands on his shoulders as they stopped in the hallway. “Harry!” She looked up into his face, her eyes full of unshed tears. “Even if we don’t make it that far, you can’t feel guilty! We’re doing what we want to do!”

Surprisingly, Harry felt Ron’s hand clap onto his shoulder. “We’re going to be with you until the day we die, Harry. There’s no escaping that.”

Harry felt like yelling at them. He wanted to shout that they were being unreasonable and that it was stupid to ask his best friends to die for him. Before he could voice any of these thoughts, Ron said something that stopped him and sent a chill through his body.

“And if you try to get rid of us, I might have to take a page out of Ginny’s book and run off to live with a death eater to do whatever it is that she’s doing.”

Harry turned slowly, gazing into his best friend’s open blue eyes and thinking fast. Did I drive Ginny into doing something stupid?

“No!” Hermione pulled his attention back to her, obviously interpreting his expression correctly. “Ginny is a stubborn, extremely intelligent and most of all, resourceful person! She wasn’t going to sit still and wait for you to return, even if you were still dating. She needs to feel like she’s being useful and she is doing something constructive. That’s just her way.”

“She could have come with us…” Harry thought and then realized he’d said it out loud.

Ron shook his head. “Not without telling her what we were doing and you promised Dumbledore that you weren’t going to tell anyone.”

“I know,” Harry sighed and turned to continue walking up to the tower. He did know that he couldn’t tell Ginny, not only because he had promised, but also because he couldn’t really risk having her along with them. Unfortunately, Ginny’s ideas about her own safety did not coincide with Harry’s. “Forbidden Forest,” Harry told the Fat Lady and she swung forward to admit them to the deserted common room. A fire had been lit while they were at lunch and Harry sat down heavily on one of the couches next to it.

“I have to return those books to Professor Binns; the ones I borrowed about the four founders,” Hermione told them as she went upstairs to retrieve them.

Ron sat across from him, not saying anything to break the thought-filled silence.

Hermione wandered down again, holding the books and refusing the offer of help from Ron. She walked out and he and Ron went back to staring into the fire. Harry figured that they were going to start their search for the next Horcrux that day, although he didn’t have a clue about what they were even looking for. He doubted Hermione did either but he was going to trust her.

At the sound of the portrait swinging back, he turned to see her climbing in and coming over to sit down with several more books in her lap. “Well the books are back, Professor Binns called me Miss Grunnings, and said that I should look through these books if I really want to know about the founders.” She eyed them gleefully but resolutely set them aside. “We should get started.”

“Yes…” Harry said slowly. Specifically

Ron picked it up. “Where are we starting and what are we looking for?”

Hermione pulled one leg beneath her and turned sideways on the couch so that she could look straight at Ron when she answered. “I’m not exactly sure what we’re going to find here, but I’m betting that it is the cup. The ring was in the Gaunt’s house and Hufflepuff’s relic would likely be here because there are no remaining descendants from Hufflepuff, so it isn’t like they could be hidden there.”

“What about at the old woman’s house?” Ron asked her, reaching over to take a lock of her hair between his fingers. Harry wanted to turn away from the scene but didn’t. If he was jealous then he only had himself to blame for it.

She shook her head before answering, “No, because that house belonged to her family after she died. It would be very risky to hide it there. I think we should start at the bottom of the castle and work our way up.”

“The bottom?” Harry asked suddenly, cottoning on to where she meant.

“Yep,” Hermione grinned mischievously at him. “I got the password from McGonagall. We’re going into the Slytherin common room.”
Reviews 235
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear