Search:

SIYE Time:15:34 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


One Last Moment
By ginnypotter987

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Drama, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: Harry, Ron, and Hermione must go and fight in the Final Battle, leaving Ginny behind. But she wants to share one last moment with Harry before he has to leave her. A one-shot. Sets a few days before Bill and Fleur's wedding. HBP spoiler. I admit, it's probably not my best.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5005



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


~*~*~*~*~*~





Bill and Fleur’s wedding. That was the last happy day that I had…well…for a long time after that. Nothing was really cheerful then at all with the war going on. In the middle of my fifth year, an occasion occurred where I thought things couldn’t get any better. Yes, it was when Harry Potter finally kissed me. It was what I was waiting for my whole life. But you know how it always happens: good never lasts for long. It turned out Dumbledore found where a Horcrux was located and he took Harry along with him. Dumbledore drank a potion that made him weak, but Harry apparated them both back to the castle. Problems only got worse from there. Masses of Death Eaters were waiting for them. The good guys (including me in that) tried to fight them off, but Snape got to Dumbledore and killed him, knocking him right off the Astronomy Tower. The Dark Mark was shown above it. Snape, Malfoy, and the Death Eaters managed to escape, leaving Harry furious and depressed at the same time. He didn’t want to believe it. No one wanted to believe it. So at Dumbledore’s funeral, Harry took me aside and explained that we couldn’t see each other for my safety. He was going to search for the Horcruxes with Ron and Hermione, leaving me behind. At least they were coming to the wedding before they left.

So things didn’t end on a good note at the end of that year. Which was why I was looking forward to the wedding, to share the one last happy moment I knew I wouldn’t have in the near future.

A few days before the wedding was going to occur, Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrived from Privet Drive. As soon as I saw him, I knew he was feeling better about the whole situation. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him, though, since he was completely ignoring me, which I thought to be incredibly rude. I tried to ask Hermione about why he was acting like that, but she wouldn’t say. I couldn’t see what was so important that I couldn’t hear.

That night, I heard voices coming from Ron’s room. I almost knocked, but stopped at the subject of conversation they were having.

“Maybe we should tell Ginny about this,” I heard Hermione’s faint voice.

“No,” Harry said flatly.

“But you can trust her,” Hermione spoke again.

“But what if someone somehow gets information out of her by what she knows? We can’t tell her.”

“She has the same risk as we do,” Ron informed him.

There was a pregnant pause. I practically pressed my ear against the closed door.

“There’s no reason for her to know. She’s not coming along with us,” Harry said.

“She might be of use, you never know,” Hermione said quietly.

“And you do love her, mate. Even if you did break up with her,” Ron’s voice exclaimed.
There was another pause.

“Yes. I know. I do love her. More than I’m worth,” Harry responded.

My heart basically melted at his statement. I do love her. More than I’m worth. And Harry was worth a lot. My thoughts were soon interrupted because just then the door opened, pulling me down onto the ground. As you should know, that was pretty embarrassing on my behalf. Harry helped me up. I liked that he was touching me.

“Were you eavesdropping?” Ron immediately demanded.

“No,” I responded. But I could sense that Harry knew I was lying. He could always figure that out. “Ok, yes,” I admitted.

“That’s rude, what if we — ” Ron started.

“So you know why I need to talk to you then,” Harry cut in, which I was grateful for, because I really didn’t want to hear Ron’s voice at the moment. Harry led me through the same room he just came out of.

“Do you mind?” Harry turned to Ron and Hermione.

Alone. He wanted to talk to me alone. That didn’t really make any sense, because I knew Ron and Hermione were going with him to defeat Voldemort, so I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t be in the room as well.

“Oh, right, sorry,” Hermione pushed Ron out and closed the door behind them.

“So,” Harry sat me down on the bed next to him. “First off, you know why we’re leaving.”

“Yes, to go and kill Voldemort.”

“Yes, but there’s more to that,” Harry said.

“More?” I repeated.

“You see, Voldemort split his soul into seven different pieces and put them into different objects, which are called Horcruxes.”

“But why would anyone want to do that?” I wondered.

“So if someone killed him, he wouldn’t be completely dead. He’d still have his other soul pieces to keep him alive. That’s why when he tried to kill me and it backfired, he still came back.”

“So you have to find and destroy the Horcruxes as well. Do you have any idea where they are?”

“We kind of have an idea. Well, two have already been destroyed. Riddle’s diary and Dumbledore finished off Marvolo Gaunt’s ring.”

“Riddle’s diary?” I stared in amazement.

“Yes. And then we think there’s a cup of Hufflepuff’s, something of Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, Slytherin’s locket, Voldemort’s snake, Nagini, and then Voldemort himself.”

“How did you learn all of this?” I asked.

Harry then quickly explained about his lessons with Dumbledore last year and they used the pensieve to look at Voldemort’s past and then Dumbledore thought he found another Horcrux and took Harry with him but it turned out it was a fake, and then that led up to the fight with the Death Eaters and the killing of Dumbledore.

I paused for a moment. “But until you find all those Horcruxes —”

“Yes, it’s not going to happen in just a month. It might be a year or two.”

I imagined my life without Harry, without Ron or Hermione for a whole year. It was a really painful thing to think about. I felt tears invade my eyes.

Come on Ginny, I thought to myself. Toughen up.

Harry automatically noticed my eyes. He always sees these things. Why? Why does he always see?

“Gin,” Harry gathered me up in his arms. I loved it when he called me Gin. It’s a name hardly anyone else ever used for me, so it’s special when he said it. And I loved lying there in his arms. It was one of the few places where I felt safe.

“I wish you didn’t have to go,” I whimpered.

“I know. I hate it as much as you do,” He kissed the top of my head.

For a few minutes, he just held me in silence. Eventually, I locked eyes with him and brushed my lips briefly against his. I knew that if I went more, I’d never be able to stop. And we broke up anyway. I could tell Harry was thinking the same thing. We broke apart slowly and rose to go downstairs.


Soon enough, it was the wedding day. Hermione and I were bridesmaids, and Harry and Ron were groomsmen. I had this pale gold dress that looked really bad on me. At least, I thought so. Hermione looked gorgeous in it of course. Harry, however, thought I looked beautiful. Yeah, right. He was probably saying it just to be nice. But I couldn’t lie when he looked handsome in his black dress robes, which matched his messy black hair and made his green eyes stand out. He was just…perfect. For once, I was happy for Fleur and actually called her Fleur, not Phlegm. Bill…I was especially glad for Bill. Even after the terrible incident that last year with Greyback, Bill looked real happy to be there at the altar. Just once, I imagined it was Harry and I instead of Bill and Fleur. It just crossed my mind, I swear, that was it. For the few seconds that the thought was there though, it was wonderful.

Bill and Fleur danced together slowly at the after party. They just looked so content, so comfortable together. They didn’t care at that moment that a huge war was approaching. As more people began to take the floor, Harry asked if I wanted to dance with him. Well of course I did, and I enjoyed it a lot. Of course, he pulled me out when there was a slow song, so I leaned my head against his chest because I wasn’t tall enough for his shoulder.
He glided us on the floor and it was truly amazing. I felt safe again. I dared to look up into his eyes. He looked right back at me. We both wanted to, but we couldn’t. We broke up for a reason. So instead of leaning closer to his face, I tightened my grip on him and went back to leaning on his chest. Now it just looked like we were holding each other, although we were still swaying to the music. When the song ended, we still held onto each other until Hermione came over to us and said they were cutting the cake. Ron was excited, of course. So Harry and I made our way over with the crowd, unaware that we were holding hands.


Then the wedding was over, and I went into my room and changed out of my dress into some lounge clothes. Then I just sat there on my bed with my knees tucked under my chin. Tomorrow. It was going to happen tomorrow. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were leaving and not coming back for a long time. I started to cry again. All three of them I loved in a different way. They understood me. Just then, a knock on my door was heard.

“Come in,” I managed to say.

It was Harry. He had changed as well. He closed the door behind him and came and sat beside me. He didn’t say anything.

“What do you want?” I asked, not unkindly.

He leaned toward me and planted his lips on mine. It wasn’t just a gentle brush; it was a real kiss. Since he did that, that made me want more. I deepened it with every bit of strength I had. I ran my hands through his hair. He pushed me down on my bed and wrapped his tongue around mine. This really made everything worse. It made it harder for me to say good-bye to him the next day. Harry pulled away and I said, “You know we shouldn’t.”

“I just wanted to do this one last time,” he said and pulled me close to him again.

Once he pulled away once more, I asked, “Will you come back for me?”

Harry looked deep into my eyes. “I can’t promise it.”

I started crying all over again and wrapped my arms around him.

“You won’t die,” I gasped between breaths. “You’ll defeat him and come home. I know you will. Because you just don’t leave people.”

Harry ran his hand through my hair. “You know I want to come back.”

“And you will,” I assured him, “you will.”

Harry kissed me again and started to leave.

“Don’t go!” I stopped him.

“Gin, I can’t stay,” he said.

“You’re already leaving me once. Don’t do it again,” I pleaded.

For a split second, we just stared at each other. Then Harry came back over and hugged me.

“It’s getting late,” he said.

“I don’t want it to be late,” I replied.

Harry only smiled as he settled himself with me in a resting position. I thought of this last happy moment as I fell asleep in Harry’s arms.


The next morning I woke up to be discovered alone in my bed. I sighed. He probably already left without saying good-bye. I showered and changed and went downstairs to find Harry, Ron, and Hermione making breakfast.

“Er, hi,” I said lamely.

“Good morning, Ginny,” Hermione said in a fake singsong voice. “We’re just making breakfast.”

“Yes, I can see that. Is there anything I can do?” I offered.

“Oh, no, we’re fine. You can just go and wait. It should only be about a minute.”

As if on cue, the rest of the family came down.

“Mmm, something smells good,” Fred and George said.

I caught a glimpse of Mum. She looked as upset as when Percy left us. I could tell she had been crying last night.

Everyone ate their breakfast in silence. No one was sure what to say. Everyone then helped clean up after we were finished. After that, Harry, Ron, and Hermione couldn’t wait anymore. They had to start their search. It was still pretty quiet as hugs and kisses were shared. You could hear whispers of “good-bye” echo in the room. I hugged Hermione tightly.

“I’ll miss you,” I said quietly.

“I’ll miss you too,” Hermione replied.

“Please write,” I said.

“I’ll try,” she responded.

I then moved to Ron.

“You know you were always one of my favorite brothers,” I smiled.

“And you’re my favorite sister,” he said back. I laughed slightly and hugged him.

Then it was Harry. Nothing was said as I wrapped my arms around him and tears flowed down my cheeks. I finally moved his head down to mine and placed my lips on his. We held for a while. His grip on me tightened. After a few minutes (or was it seconds?) we pulled apart.

“I love you,” he told me.

I smiled and said back, “I love you too.”

We backed away from each other, but our hands were still connected. My tears had a mind of their own right then.

“Bye, Gin,” Harry said.

No, I didn’t want to hear it. I never wanted to hear those words. But he would come back. I knew he was going to.

“Bye, Harry,” I responded.

Our hands slowly slid apart as the three of them walked out of the house, out the door, and out of my life.

I knew that yesterday was the one last happy moment I got to have for a long time. And I knew that there’d be more in the future. Yes, just like that one last moment.






~*~*~*~*~*~




Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear