Search:

SIYE Time:12:25 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Unexpected Visitor
By Milarqui

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: Disturbing Imagery
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 223
Summary: Harry James Potter has come back to Privet Drive after his abysmal fifth year at Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, as Albus Dumbledore asked him to do. There, he mourns around everything that happened the last months, especially his Godfather's death, but all will change when someone he did not expect comes...

The author has stated this story will not be continued. SIYE
Hitcount: Story Total: 176415; Chapter Total: 5422







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 25
Saint Valentine Makes My Day


It was really a surprise for the students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to see their Potions Professor walk around with something akin to a smile. It came out a bit crooked, but it was nonetheless recognisable as a smile by the student body. Even classes down at the Potions Lab were far more bearable, as the changes he had started before in the year went forward, making Potions a better experience for everybody.

The only ones that didn’t like the change were the Death Eaters’ children led by Theodore Nott, who knew that Snape had betrayed the Dark Lord for so much time, and thus had started a sort of rebellion within Hogwarts’ walls. They constantly insulted the professors, bullied the younger students from all houses, disrupted every class they were in, and in total did their best to make Hogwarts an unpleasant experience for everyone else. No amount of points taken dissuaded them from what they considered their task, and they never presented themselves to any assigned detentions.

Snape had asked Dumbledore several times to restrain the moves of those children, as they were becoming bolder as time passed. However, Dumbledore said that nothing could be done about it unless they did something very serious, as the Hogwarts by-laws stated that students could only be restricted to their common rooms during curfew, unless the student was seen committing what might be considered a lesser crime.

Harry and his friends, upon hearing that Dumbledore could do nothing to stop the harassing from the Slytherins, decided to start playing pranks on them. It started small, with their clothes turning pink or red and gold (Susan said that Parkinson seemed to be more scared at the red and gold than the pink) whenever they entered the Great Hall. That feature was expanded to every classroom and even the Slytherin common room after Colin Creevey caught them trying to hex his brother after he came back from Potions class.

The Death Nibblers — as they were being derisively named by the DA members — were never able to catch on the fact that every time they misbehaved a prank was pulled on them. Thus, they continued with their disruptive behaviour, and the thing started to escalate. Some of them would end up being humiliated even worse than before: Nott’s appearance with baby’s clothes in the Great Hall when he stepped in the day after he had tried to do a great injury to a Muggleborn second year from Hufflepuff (who was only saved because Susan and Hannah had been near when it happened) would be the worst that happened to them, but yet they didn’t realise about what triggered the pranks.

Then, a few days after the prank on Nott, several portraits around the school were vandalised, and although the people in the portraits couldn’t tell who had been, as they had been hooded, it was pretty obvious who had done it.

“Albus, there must be something that can be done to stop these students!” Minerva said, as she helped Argus Filch to take down one of the damaged portraits.

“Believe me, Minerva, I’ve been doing my best to find a way to restrict their moves, but unless they are caught by either a professor, the Head Boy or Girl or a prefect, I fear that we won’t be able to do anything,” Dumbledore said, his face sad as he realised the extent of the damage done to this last group.

“Then what do you propose we do, Albus? That we keep someone in every corridor until we catch them red-handed?”

Dumbledore was about to reply when he remembered one thing Sirius had told him that he and his friends had made several years ago, while they were at school.

“No, Minerva, but I think that I can get my hands on something that will help us do that,” he said.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwr whghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghp



During their next private meeting, Dumbledore raised the subject with Harry.

“Harry, I wonder if you would lend me that map your father made? The Marauder’s Map, if I am not mistaken?”

Harry was surprised by the bluntness and knowledge the old wizard portrayed, although he supposed that either Sirius or Remus must have told him about it. After all, the Marauder’s Map had been the best thing the Marauders had ever done.

“I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Why do you want it?”

Dumbledore explained what he had thought of, so that the disruptive Slytherins could be stopped. Harry agreed to let Dumbledore use the map to catch them with the hands in the cookie jar, so to speak.

A few days later, some people were doing their best to hide in the shadows as they went through the corridors of the school. All of them carried their wands at the ready, and their faces were covered with black hoods. Then they stopped in one of the corridors.

“OK, we should keep on with our task,” one of the boys said. “You five destroy those paintings on the left, and we will do those on the right.”

“All right,” a girl said, and pointed her wand towards one of the paintings, which suddenly developed a nasty gash. The occupant of the painting, a fair-haired young woman, sought refuge in the next painting, but that one was also attacked.

After a few minutes of this, a cat meowed and hissed to the hooded boys and girls.

“Damn, it’s Filch’s cat!” one of the boys said.

“Who cares about that bloody Squib? We can Obliviate him if he gets near us, and Dumbledore won’t know a thing,” the girl that had talked before said.

“I fear, Miss Parkinson,” a grave voice said, making all of the hooded people turn around, “that I already know about this atrocity you were doing all along.”

One of the other girls — there were seven boys and four girls in the group — gasped and tried to run away, but the only escape route had been already cut by several other adults. Severus Snape and Minerva McGonagall were in front of them while Albus Dumbledore and Filius Flitwick had finally managed to trap the wayward students.

With a wand wave, Dumbledore managed to blow the hoods from the students’ faces, revealing what they already knew. Theodore Nott, Pansy Parkinson and several other prominent Death Eaters’ children had been hiding under those hoods.

“To my office. Now,” Dumbledore said, his face showing the deep disgust and disappointment he was feeling towards these children, who were throwing their lives overboard without thinking of the consequences.

From the way the students were walking, it was obvious that they didn’t feel ashamed of what they had been caught doing: in fact, they seemed to have enjoyed it, and they even talked happily about how many paintings they had destroyed that night and the others.

The gargoyle opened to let Dumbledore enter, being followed by the Slytherin students and the Professors. Snape in particular felt quite murderous, as he would finally have the opportunity to punish them accordingly to the level of disrespect they had shown towards him — it would be the first time ever that someone had surpassed Harry Potter in that scale in the last seven years.

Several chairs appeared in the office, enough for the students and the Professors to sit down.

“I hope that you have a good excuse for running around the school at 3 am, wearing hoods and destroying so many valuable paintings that it will take a group of restorers several weeks to repair them, because I surely cannot think of anything that would involve that,” Dumbledore said, obviously disappointed with them.

“Of course, Headmaster,” Theodore Nott said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “We were doing a great service to the true Wizarding World eliminating things that were paying homage to the false wizards, the blood-traitors and the Mudbloods.”

“Mind your own words, Mr Nott,” Snape said, interrupting him.

“I don’t care about what you think, Snape,” Nott said back at the Potions Master, “you betrayed the only wizard that really cares about true wizards and allied with a has-been and a brat who is only able to cry around and wave his wand as a fool while he waits for the Dark Lord to send him where he deserves to be.”

All the portraits in the room exploded at once, telling the students off for being so disrespectful towards the Headmaster, a Professor and Harry Potter. Even Phineas Nigellus — Sirius’s ancestor and the least liked of Hogwarts Headmasters of all times — joined in and said that Salazar Slytherin would be ashamed of them for their stupidity and lack of thought.

“ENOUGH!” the Headmaster shouted, and the Headmasters’ portraits fell into silence. Then, Dumbledore directed his gaze towards the students.

“It’s obvious that you can’t be trusted to use any freedom given to you without abusing it. Your rule-breaking has reached a level I never thought was possible. Believe me when I say that I don’t like to use this, but you have pushed my patience enough. From now on and until I consider it necessary, the eleven of you will remain in total confinement.”

Professor McGonagall’s eyes opened a lot, but then she nodded.

“What?” Parkinson screeched.

“I suppose that all that running around in the dead of the night might have scrambled your brains,” Snape said, “so I am going to explain it to you in words that even a moron would understand. You will stay in your common room at all times save for classes and one hour a week in the library. Your wands will be confiscated and only given to you during classes. You will eat in the common room. No extracurricular activities. No Quidditch. No visits to Hogsmeade. Nothing unnecessary that requires being out of the common room. And if you believe you can sneak out during the night, you’ll find that the common room’s door can be spelled so that it doesn’t open to any of you unless there is a Professor near. And as for detentions, I think that Filch needs someone to do the cleaning in the upper rooms. Without magic, of course.”

“Of course,” Dumbledore said, and with a wand wave, all the students’ wands came out of their pockets.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” Urquhart, the older of the eleven students, shouted.

“I am merely starting to apply the punishment you have earned with your attacks, Mister Urquhart,” Dumbledore replied. “Surely you didn’t think that you would be allowed to run around with your wands any more, did you?”

Urquhart didn’t say anything, but scowled at the Headmaster.

“Very well. This punishment will be held until this year ends or you really show remorse for your acts,” Dumbledore stated. “Now, Professor Snape and I will take you back to your common room, and for your sakes I hope that you truly change your ways before it becomes too late.”


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgw rwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgw rwhg


The next day, all the students were surprised to notice the lack of several students in the Slytherin table. Whenever someone asked one of the Slytherins about it, an answer related to the fact that they had gotten caught and they had been punished with total confinement — a punishment that had only been used once in the last fifty years, according to Hogwarts, a History — and their wands had been seized. Some students were looking forward to get some revenge on them, but Dumbledore stated in that same moment that no one was to attack the missing Slytherin students, no matter what they might have done before. Harry also said the same to the DA, casually implying that by not doing anything they would be better than they were.

The rest of January passed soon, as the punished Slytherins were very subdued by their lack of liberty, and also the first week of February. Ravenclaw played Slytherin during that time, and Slytherin, which was missing four players due to the confinement, lost miserably by 200-30, giving Ravenclaw the first position in the ranking, as Gryffindor had yet to play against Hufflepuff.

But the game wasn’t to be played until March, at least, and in between the games there was a wonderful date for some and a horrible one for others. Saint Valentine’s Day.

Since that year 14th February fell on Friday, the next day was a Hogsmeade day, and Harry was really looking forward to it. Last year’s Saint Valentine’s Day had been a very bad experience, because going out with Cho hadn’t turned out to be as nice as he had thought, but he supposed that he couldn’t put the fault completely at her feet, since he also had a part in it. However, in part he was glad that that date had not gone well, as it had allowed him to find a girl that truly suited him, and that was far more cheerful and funny than Cho was.

However, the fact that Saint Valentine’s Day was the anniversary of their first (and last) date seemed to re-energize Cho’s desire to get back with Harry, never mind that he had been doing his best to make it clear to her that he wasn’t interested in her at all, and the fact that he was in love with Ginny seemed to either pass over her head or transform into the belief that Ginny was only a screen for his real love for her (Cho). Harry was really fed up with her, as the only thing her attempts to ‘entice’ him did was to cut into his time with Ginny and, frankly, it really disturbed him that the Asian girl was so determined in following a wrong idea.

And poor Harry couldn’t believe till which extremes she would go just to ‘recover’ what she thought was hers, but he would later suppose that he should have thought it might become to this.

It happened on the 15th February, the Saint Valentine’s Hogsmeade weekend, as Harry was having breakfast. He had just eaten some bacon and filled his goblet with pumpkin juice when he noticed that both his and Ginny’s goblets didn’t smell exactly like pumpkin juice normally did.

What the hell is that? Harry thought, then he saw that Ginny was about to drink some juice. Not knowing what the unknown odour was, but believing it would be detrimental or unhealthy for them, he acted soon, before the juice could enter Ginny’s mouth.

“Ginny, stop!” he said, holding her hand. Some of the juice fell from the goblet on her chin, which Harry immediately cleaned with his Water element.

“What’s the matter, Harry?” she asked him.

“Have you not noticed that your juice smells strange?” he replied, putting the goblet back on the table.

“No, I didn’t,” she said, then she sniffed the goblet. “I think that I can detect some overtones of rosemary and thyme in it. It is way too subtle to be noticed on a casual sniff, even for a lioness.”

“I think I noticed because my forms are very dependent on smell in their lives,” Harry replied. “Mine smells of clove, I believe. What do you think this thing is?”

“What’s the matter, Harry?” Neville, who had just noticed that Harry and Ginny were discussing, asked his friends.

“There is something strange in our drinks, and we don’t know what it is,” Ginny informed him.

“Oh, come on, you could just have used the Specialis Revelio charm for that,” Neville said. “Don’t tell me that you forgot that?”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other. Indeed, they had forgotten that they could use magic to ascertain what was in that liquid.

After thanking Neville, Harry brought his wand out of its holster and cast the spell on the pumpkin juice. What he saw intrigued him. The ingredients in his goblet had started to dilute in the juice, making the detection more difficult than normal and preventing him from knowing the quantities of each ingredient, but still it could be detected. Mandrake root, ashwinder egg, moonstone, peppermint and human hair, alongside with some other things that couldn’t be identified.

Any idea about this? Harry asked Ginny. Even with all the time he had studied them and the Outstanding he had gotten in his Potions O.W.L., the knowledge of several potions still evaded him.

Well, the ashwinder eggs are only used in one kind of potions, and those are love potions, Ginny answered, suddenly realising what had been put into their goblets.

A love potion? Harry asked. Who would have had the guts to...

“Hello, Harry,” Cho said, purring as she embraced him from behind.

Never mind, Harry said. Mind helping me, Gin?

Sure, she said. She took out her wand and pointed it at Cho’s throat.

“Step away from my boyfriend, and I might consider not using you as a test subject for my best hexes,” Ginny told the Asian girl.

“Oh, Weasley, I would have thought that you would have already run away. However, I think that Harry isn’t your boyfriend, are you, Harry?” she asked the dark-haired boy with a sickly sweet voice that made Ginny want to puke.

Harry’s reaction wasn’t what she had expected. He grabbed her forearms, tugging with strength to get free from her death grip and stood up, his eyes ice cold as they looked at Cho, who seemed surprised and fearful of how Harry was looking at her.

“Harry?” she asked.

“Miss Chang,” Harry said, in a very formal tone. “Using a love potion on somebody else is not only forbidden by Hogwarts’ rules, but also by law, unless it is recommended by Saint Mungo’s Healers and only in cases of deep depression. Also, I have already told you several times that I have no romantic feelings for you. Perhaps before I thought we might be friends, but now I only can think of you with utter contempt for your apparent inability to understand English or your complete disregard for the health, mental and otherwise, of a fellow student, let alone two of them.

“As the potion hasn’t even affected us, I will only dock Ravenclaw fifty points, and you are to serve three weeks of detention with Professor Snape. However, in my role as the official leader and professor of the Defence Association, I have no other choice than banning you indefinitely from assisting the DA meetings until you can prove to me that your delusions over any feelings you think I have for you have finished.”

“But, Harry, you can’t do that!” Cho screeched.

“I think that any relationship between us is way below the level of familiarity that would allow us to use each other’s given name when talking, Miss Chang,” Harry replied, coolly, “and this last attempt to poison both me and Miss Weasley and try to force us to act against our wishes has been the last drop. Now, leave, before I decide to ban you from going to Hogsmeade, too.”

Cho seemed to be about to reply again, but one look at his cold, burning eyes and she ran away, sobbing at the fact that her plan to snatch Harry out of Weasley’s hands had failed. She was sure that Harry didn’t really like Weasley and that he was only with her out of pity or because she was opening her legs and Harry was too honourable to just leave her. She had managed to convince one of the house elves that Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley needed to drink those potions with their pumpkin juice and that he shouldn’t tell anyone about it happening. At first, she was only going to use one on Weasley, to send her away from Harry, but later she decided to use it on both. Of course, she would let Harry go when he realised that he was free from that gold-digger and could come back with her, but until she was sure Weasley was well away from Harry, she would have had to hold him near her.

Now her plans had been wasted just because of a fluke. She would have to start again from scratch.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghp gwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghp gwrwhg


“What were you talking about with Ms Chang at breakfast time, Mr Potter?” Professor Flitwick asked, having seen the discussion between the two of them and then the girl running away in tears, before Harry and his friends left for Hogsmeade.

“I fear that Ms Chang has tried to use a love potion on both me and my girlfriend, probably in a futile attempt to separate us and try to recover what she believes is hers, no matter that she lost her opportunity a year ago. She has already been punished with the loss of fifty points and three weeks of detentions with Professor Snape; since the potion didn’t affect us, I judged it to be big enough to make her think about what she has tried to do, although I fear that she might try again.”

“Very well, Mr Potter. I think that I might have to talk with her personally if she keeps behaving in such a way,” Flitwick replied with a serious voice.

Harry shook his head. “I doubt that it would actually work, Professor. She had already been advised to let the matter go, but she keeps trying. However, I thank you for your effort.”

“There is no problem, Mr Potter. Just go to Hogsmeade today and try to have some fun.”

“Oh, I will, don’t worry,” Harry said, grinning. “I think that I am ready to have fun. Aren’t you, guys?”

Ron nodded with a grin as he hugged Hermione tightly. Although he had taken her on a date to the town before, it was their first Valentine’s Day celebration together. The day before, Ron had given her a stationary set with several quills and various coloured inks, a small blank book so that she could write a diary and a box of chocolates. She had thanked him profusely, and right now they were going to have some alone time in the outskirts of the town (clearly avoiding Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop; it was too frilly for their taste) before joining their friends in The Three Broomsticks for a drink. The other two couples were ready to leave as well and had similar plans.

“Let’s go. I don’t want to miss one minute to be alone with Luna,” Neville said.

Ginny giggled as she saw the extra-dreamy look on Luna’s face as she looked at her boyfriend, and started to tug on Harry.

“Come on, Harry, let’s leave the love-birds alone and get some space for us,” she said impishly.
Harry grinned back at her and the eight teenagers left the school among the sea of students that were going to the small town of Hogsmeade to have fun. He had planned to show Ginny a few things that they had not visited but that she might like, given her wish to be alone with him.

“We are meeting here in about an hour, OK?” Draco said, already going over his and Susan’s plans.

“Deal,” Harry said, and each couple went on their own.

Harry had decided to take her to the cave where Sirius had hidden two years ago, in the mountain near the town. It was a bit far away, but he knew that he could flash Ginny as a phoenix or ask Ra to take them both up. It certainly was a great place, because the landscape was truly amazing, and it gave them some solitude.

“I hope that you are taking me to a good place, Mr Potter,” Ginny said, attempting to be threatening, but her eyes betrayed her mirth and joy.

“Oh, believe me, it’s a really nice place. You will like it so much that you will beg for more days like this,” Harry replied, teasing her.

“Then it better be good, because I intend this day to be a great day,” Ginny said, winking at him.

Harry laughed, and started to lead her to the outskirts of Hogsmeade, towards the small mountain range that housed the cave.

“Would you like me to take you on a flash?” Harry asked her.

“Is it too far away?” she asked.

“No, but it would nonetheless take us too much time to reach the place, and by the time we were up there we would have to start returning.”

“Oh, sure then,” Ginny said. After making sure that there was no one that could see him do it, Harry transformed into his phoenix form and landed on Ginny’s shoulder, taking them to the small plateau in front of the cave.

“Is this where Sirius hid two years ago?” Ginny asked, remembering Harry telling her about that tale a few months ago.

“Yeah, but that’s not the reason I brought you here,” Harry replied, and he turned her around. Ginny was ecstatic at the beauty of the landscape from the place she was.

“Oh, this is so wonderful!” she exclaimed.

“That is why I brought you here,” Harry said, hugging her from her back and kissing the top of her head. “I knew that you would love this place when I started to plan for today, so I flashed here once to clear this place a bit, so that the two of us could stay for some time alone, with no interference from outside people.”

“I love it, Harry,” Ginny replied, leaning into his embrace. “It’s like a group of house dolls placed around so that I can play with my dolls and make up a story with them.”

“I’m glad.” Harry then kissed her at the base of her neck, exactly the point he knew would drive her mad. Ginny shivered with pleasure.

“Hmmm, Harry,” she said with a husky voice. The boy smirked and brought her down as he sat down, sitting her on his lap as he kept kissing his girlfriend’s neck, tasting her soft skin, while she felt as if small fireworks were exploding all over her body. It was too much for her, too much excitement, too much to stand it and not do anything.

She jumped over her boyfriend and started to kiss him, pouring herself in each move of their mouths.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpg wrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpg wrwhg


Fifty-five minutes later, after a vigorous snogging session in the top of the hill, Harry flashed Ginny back down so that they could meet with their friends in the Three Broomsticks. Ginny was leaning her head over Harry’s shoulder as he passed an arm behind her back, to keep her near him.

“That was so nice,” Ginny said with a dreamlike tone, much like Luna’s in a normal day. “We should repeat it soon.”

Harry chuckled and kissed the top of Ginny’s hair, as they passed Dervish and Banges, the shop nearest to the mountain.

“Oh, Harry, let’s go in here,” Ginny said. “I want to see what they have.”

“OK, boss,” Harry said with a grin, and Ginny planted her elbow in Harry’s gut.

“Don’t take that tone with me, Potter,” she said, “or you might find why Ron has never won against me in our fights.”

“Pray tell, why do you always win against Ron?” Harry asked.

“I know all his weak points, and if he gets shirty all I have to do is to tickle him until he falls down from lack of oxygen,” Ginny replied.

“Oh, that’s good then, ‘cause you don’t know which are my weak points’,” Harry said, opening the door to the shop for her.

“Thank you,” Ginny replied. “And don’t worry about it, I’ll find your weak points soon,” she grinned.

“Oh, I am already counting on that.”

They started to peruse around the store, as they wanted to find some things that any of their friends or themselves might like. Ginny had been planning to find something for her brother, since his birthday was going to be in a few weeks, while Harry was interested in seeing if they had a watch like the Muggle ones, as he knew that normal magical watches were really difficult to understand. He asked the shopkeeper, but they didn’t have any in stock, although he said that they were due to receive several watches in a couple of days and told Harry to send an owl in a week or so, and he would receive a catalogue with the kinds of watches they would have.

“Thank you very much, Mr Dervish,” Harry replied, as Ginny approached the shopkeeper.

“I’d like to buy this,” she said, bringing a small ball covered with runes and a chain.

“Aaah, Miss Weasley, you have indeed a good taste. That thing is the last one of my Pensieve Pendants. Father got lots of them back in the 20s, when they were in fad and many people bought them. But by 1925 they had fallen out of fad, and this is the only Pendant my father didn’t sell.”

“How does this work?” Harry asked.

“I suppose that you know what Pensieves do, no?” Mr Dervish said, and both Harry and Ginny nodded. “Well, this pendant works like a normal Pensieve, but it can only hold one or two memories at the same time. It was very popular because you could keep in there your best memories and, whenever you felt bad, you could grasp it and you would remember what you have in there. Not very taxing on your magic, but some people used it too much and just felt disconnected from the rest of the world.”

Harry realised that, if he studied this thing, it might help him find a way to trigger happy thoughts in people whenever they fought Dementors. It might become quite useful if he could make copies of this for its use in the future as an aid to the DA when Voldemort attacked the school.

Ginny paid one Galleon and fifteen sickles for the small artefact and both teenagers went out of the shop, deciding to go to the Three Broomsticks after having realised through the clock at Dervish and Banges that it was nearly time to meet their friends in the Three Broomsticks. They were walking towards the bar leisurely, embraced and with Ginny’s head leaning over Harry’s shoulder, when they started to feel cold.

An unnatural coldness.

“How did the temperature drop so fast in so little time?” Ginny asked, shivering and hugging Harry.

“This is not a normal temperature drop,” Harry said, and he decided to open the Mind Hub.

Guys, we’ve got a huge problem, he said to the others.

Hey, Harry, what’s the problem? Neville asked.

Yeah, you interrupted a nice moment in here, Draco stated.

Have you noticed that the temperature has gone down? Harry said, more pressed by the fact that something very serious could be about to happen in there than by whatever his friends had been doing.

Now that you say it, yes, it’s cold in here, Luna answered. You don’t think...

Dementors. I think Tom is trying to launch an attack on us, since we are here in the town and there are no professors around.

Then he is going to send the Death Eaters behind,
Ron reasoned. Voldemort would never send the Dementors alone against wizards, we have the Patronus Charm.

We are going to need some help from the Order,
Harry thought. Ra!

In a flash, the phoenix appeared in front of Harry and Ginny. Yes, Harry? he asked to his wizard.

I need you to take this note to Professor Dumbledore, Harry replied, conjuring up a piece of parchment and scribbling a note with a pencil, which he then gave to Ra. The phoenix took it with his beak and flashed away.

I have already sent the alert to Dumbledore, Harry told the others. Hermione, use the coin to call all the DA members while the others get as many people as possible safe from the attack.

Already doing it, Harry,
a frantic Hermione answered, having taken her coin out of her pocket and spelling it to call on everyone in town.

Harry, use a Sonorus charm and say everything, it’ll make things easier if the whole town is told at the same time instead of us telling them one by one, Draco suggested. They are very likely to trust you, especially considering the whole “Chosen One” thing.

Harry rolled his eyes at Draco’s pitiful attempt to make a joke, especially since the situation they were in wasn’t very conductive to that. He pointed his wand into his throat and whispered “Sonorus!”

“THIS IS A MESSAGE TO ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE TOWN OF HOGSMEADE!” Harry shouted. “THIS TOWN IS ABOUT TO BE ATTACKED BY DEMENTORS, PERHAPS DEATH EATERS IN A FEW MINUTES! PLEASE, THOSE WHO CAN’T OR DON’T WANT TO FIGHT EITHER TAKE THEIR MINISTRY-PROVIDED PORTKEYS OR GO TO HOGWARTS! THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO USE THE EXPECTO PATRONUM CHARM ARE REQUIRED TO STAY, AS THEY WILL BE NEEDED TO REPEL THE DEMENTORS! PLEASE, ALL DA MEMBERS AND THOSE WHO WISH TO FIGHT, MEET IN THE MAIN SQUARE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, A DEFENCE MUST SET UP! THANK YOU!”

Nicely said, Potter, Draco said. That certainly helped people feel more secure.

Shut up, Malfoy,
Harry replied. It wasn’t as if I heard you saying anything to try to tell people what was going to happen.

Guys, if you really want to argue, do it later, when there is no emergency about to need us,
Neville said. Are you coming here or not?

“Already here,” Harry told his friends, arriving to the square, noticing that there were already a lot of people in there, as well as all the DA, even Dennis Creevey.

“OK, is anybody from the Order or the Ministry around?” Harry shouted, trying to make himself heard over the noise.

“I am here, Harry,” Tonks said. “I was sent here to guard the town in case there was an attack from Death Eaters. I have already sent word to Dumbledore, and I suppose that the Ministry will already know about this, since people will have already arrived there with the Portkeys.”

“Good, let’s organise this. Can someone go to Honeydukes and get some chocolate here? We are going to need it if we want people to stay well when the Dementors arrive.”

“Mr Flume already brought all of the chocolate he had on stock. Everyone is being given a couple pieces right now.”

“I’ll have to make sure to thank him when we beat the attack back,” Harry said. “People!” he shouted then, making sure that everyone could hear him. “Those who know how to use the Patronus Charm, stay on a protective circle around the remaining people. Those who don’t, stay back, but be prepared to rack some shields up if Death Eaters attempt to attack! Everybody, keep the chocolate ready for the Dementors’ effects, we’re really going to need it!”

Just then, several Aurors arrived by Portkey, lead by Rufus Scrimgeour, the Head of the Auror Office.

“Auror Tonks, what is the situation? We were warned that there was going to be a Dementor attack here.

“Greetings, Auror Scrimgeour,” Tonks said. “According to Harry here, Dementors will arrive to this town in less than 5 minutes.”

“How would Potter know the distance at which a Dementor is? And what are all these children doing here? They should be running towards Hogwarts!”

“If I may, Auror Scrimgeour,” Harry said, “ever since my third year here at Hogwarts I’ve had an extreme sensibility to the presence of Dementors in my surroundings, and have developed the ability to detect them. As for these ‘children’, we have been training for things like these ever since we started school, and we are more than adequate fighters for this kind of thing.”

“Seriously, Mr Potter, do you really expect the Death Eaters to shoot only Jelly-Legs Hexes and Body Binds?” Scrimgeour replied on a slightly patronizing tone.

“The Defence Association knows full well how to use Cutting Curses, Reductor Curses and anything else that might help them in this war, we have recently gone over the use of conjuration to shield themselves from the Unforgivable Curses and they are certainly more fit than any of those Death Eaters, so I’m pretty sure that in a duel where stamina mattered any of the DA members would be able to beat even the Inner Circle. Also, how many people who know how to shoot the Patronus Charm have you brought?”

“Fifteen in total, all of them former Azkaban guards so they know how to do it quite perfectly,” Scrimgeour replied, stiff.

“I have brought more than sixty people who can perform the Patronus Charm, and all of them have been able to cast it in the presence of a Boggart-turned-Dementor, which I assure you is as powerful as a normal Dementor is,” Harry replied coolly. “We might be only teenagers, but every one of us is perfectly aware of the dangers we are facing, and know that Hogwarts might be attacked by Voldemort at any time, so we have taken upon ourselves to train for that eventuality. Now, let’s drop this conversation because those Dementors are three minutes away, and we should start to launch our Patroni. Don’t you think so?”

Scrimgeour blinked, surprised at the large speech Harry had done, and he had no time to answer before Harry turned away towards the Hogwarts students.

“DA!” Harry shouted, his wand held in his right hand. “PATRONUS CHARM!

Harry pointed out his wand towards the Dementors (who could be seen at that moment as dark spots in the sky) and shouted, “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” A silver gas erupted from his wand, a gas that materialized into Prongs as it galloped towards the menace coming towards the town.

A thunderous, simultaneous “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” was heard from sixty-five throats at the same time, and a veritable zoo of silver animals ran, flew, jumped towards the Dementors, following the stag that was about to make contact with the leading Dementor.

Prongs started to fight the first Dementors, and for a few seconds it seemed to be overwhelmed by the large quantity of dark creatures he was fighting against, but then the Hogwarts’ students’ Patroni joined the battle, turning the tables in favour of the Patroni, as each Patronus was able to hold off more than three Dementors, and Harry’s could hold off more than ten, which wasn’t surprising given that when he was thirteen he was able to defeat more than a hundred Dementors with his first fully corporeal Patronus Charm.

“Scrimgeour!” Harry shouted at the Head Auror, who seemed to be spellbound by the efficiency of the Hogwarts’ students’ spells. “Get your men here with the rest of the town, Death Eaters will arrive here at any moment!”

Scrimgeour woke up and, without thinking, ordered the Aurors that had come with him to reply to this attack to stay in a protective circle around the children, and to stay ready so that they could use defensive spells once the Death Eaters Apparated.

A few minutes passed, in which the only things heard were the sound of the Dementors trying to get around the Patronus to attack on the people in Hogsmeade and the uneven breathing of some of the ones who had stayed to fight. Harry made the most of the situation by calling on his Elementals and ordering them to do their best to protect the people if they were unable to defend themselves and to disable as many of the attackers as they were able to. It was then when Dumbledore arrived to the town next to nearly all of the Order.

“Harry, what’s happening?” Dumbledore asked his student.

“I fear that the Death Eaters are getting bold, they must think they would be able to attack the town while us students were in here,” Harry replied. “Just prepare yourselves, because they will arrive very soon.”

Several pops were heard then. The Death Eaters had arrived. There seemed to be nearly two hundred of them, all of them covered with their dark robes and white masks.

“DA! FALCON’S HEAD!” Ron shouted, and the Defence Association members pointed their wands towards the Death Eaters and fired the Bed Time Spell at the dark wizards. Nearly twenty of them fell down in the first volley, but the others managed to use a Shield Spell to stop the spells.

“Where the hell does Voldemort find so many people? Damn!” Harry said as the Death Eaters started to attack the combined forces of the DA, the Hogsmeade population, the Aurors and the Order of the Phoenix.

“From what Severus said once, Voldemort was recruiting heavily among the dark wizards population of Eastern Europe, mainly from the former USSR, although I think there might be a few from Western Europe and the Americas,” Dumbledore told him as he Conjured several rock walls to protect the students.

As the fight got caught in an impasse, Harry sneaked a glance towards his right and saw, horrified, that the Patroni that had kept the Dementors at bay were disappearing, one by one, leaving only six or seven to hold back nearly four hundred Dementors. Harry knew that he wouldn’t be able to cast another Patronus, as that would make the current one disappear, which wouldn’t be very helpful towards the situation.

His mind was then assaulted by the memory of his conversation with Dumbledore last summer.

“What about… I don’t know… fire?” Harry asked.

“Why would you say that?” Dumbledore asked, confused.

“Well, all the times I have faced a Dementor I’ve felt coldness at first, and when my Patronus guarded me, it was heat that I felt. Maybe their weak point is fire, and I believe that if someone uses a strong Incendio charm or elemental fire, maybe it would destroy them.”


Fire could destroy Dementors, but it was difficult as one had to stay near the Dementor. Patronus charms could keep them away, but they couldn’t destroy Dementors.

Finally, it clicked. A Patronus made out of fire would be able to keep the Dementors away and kill them! Several Patroni made out of fire would be able to destroy every Dementor out there!

Everyone! Harry called through the Mind Hub. I’m going to need you to take over the defence for half a minute, there is something I have thought of that will help us if it works!

OK,
Ron said, but Harry didn’t pay attention, because he was already concentrated in something that could probably turn the tables against the Death Eaters forever.

As time seemed to slow down for him, those few that sneaked a look at Harry to see what was keeping him from attacking were surprised to see an spectacle, as Harry’s hands and wand blurred and small bursts of magical energy erupted between his hands. The battle raged around him, but Harry didn’t pay attention, while the Dementors neared the defenders of the town. Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Susan, Luna and Draco had launched another round of Patroni, and Dumbledore and a few other members of the Order did the same, but there weren’t enough Patroni to keep all Dementors back.

After a ball of fire erupted into Harry’s hands, which he compressed as if he were just making a parchment ball, he was ready to launch what could arguably be the most powerful spell he had ever cast in his life. He readied his wand, pointing it at the incoming Dementors, and started to concentrate in what was going to be needed to shoot this spell.

The feelings of happiness when he learnt that he was a wizard.

Learning to fly.

When Gryffindor won the House Cup during the last five years.

Seeing Hermione recovered from the petrification.

Winning the Quidditch Cup in his third year.

Sirius’ offer to come to live with him.

The joy of having been able to be the fastest in the first task of the Triwizard Cup.

Recovering Sirius after thinking he had lost him.

The first kiss with Ginny.

His last birthday.

Last winter’s Yule Ball.

Last Christmas, with his family and his friends.

The feeling that permeated him, about his happiness in all those times and the love he felt from the others, was everything Harry needed for his recently crafted spell.

IGNIS PATRONI!” Harry shouted with all his strength, making himself heard over the noise of the battle.

Nothing happened at first. But then, something similar to a sucking noise erupted from Harry’s wand’s tip, and a small wave was seen exploding from the wand. All the Patroni that were still around — Harry’s, his friends’ and Dumbledore’s — suddenly reverted their protective moves at trying to stop the Dementors and ran towards Harry, at breakneck speeds, jumping and entering the wand after turning into the mist it was normally before becoming corporeal.

The fight around Harry stopped momentarily as they saw the Patroni’s strange behaviour, and what would happen then would become one of the milestones of the Second Magical War, the moment that historians would mark as the true beginning of the end of Lord Voldemort’s attempt to take over the British Wizarding World.

With his wand seemingly exploding in a flurry of colours illuminating the whole town of Hogsmeade, several figures came out of the wand, each of them made of fire, each of them having a different colour, but nonetheless made of fire. A white phoenix, a brown otter, a blue hare, a deep red horse, a black dragon, an orange terrier, a yellow bear, a silver unicorn and, last of all, an emerald green stag, jumped from Harry’s wand and rushed towards the Dementors, who started to wail (a very strange sound that no one had ever heard in their lives, and that would never be heard again) and tried to run away from the fire Patroni, but the colourful animals were faster than them.

As the battle in the town stopped to see the magnificent fight, hardly a few tens of meters from them (a moment during which several Death Eaters mysteriously fell down, drenched with water, their robes catching fire, the earth literally swallowing them or small tornadoes knocking them out), the Patroni tore into the group of Dark creatures, and the Dementors’ wails turned into screams of terror, as each Dementor that was encountered by one of the Patroni ended being destroyed, their black cloaks burned, their dark... well, whatever they had as a soul rendered into nothingness. As several small balls of light sprouted out of the recently eliminated creatures — the souls of those people who had been kissed by the Dementors during the latter’s lives —, the Aurors, the Death Eaters, the Order of the Phoenix and the Defence Association watched, amazed, how one of the most terrible and dangerous living beings that had ever existed were drawn into extinction thanks to Harry’s charm.

Once the last Dementor fell down and died, the field was totally silent, with only some burning fires in the town, caused by wayward curses and the Death Eaters attempting to destroy the town, crackling and eating away the unfortunate buildings that had been in the way.

Harry, who had closed his eyes as he breathed deeply, was being stared at by everyone in the town. Even Dumbledore and the Death Eaters were looking at him as if he were some sort of god: the destruction of all the existing Dementors in the world was nothing a normal person could do, only an extremely powerful person would have been able to do it.

Then, Harry opened his eyes, and his eyes, filled with green, burning fire, were directed at the remaining Death Eaters. All of them were suddenly far more afraid of Harry Potter than they were of their Lord, and the fear overwhelmed them to the point that they stood there, still, incapable of moving even an inch from their positions. Harry raised his hand, and with a small flick of his wand, one of the Death Eaters was hit by a reddish light and fell down, unconscious.

With a roar, all the Defence Association jumped into action and started to curse the Death Eaters, knocking out more than a third of the remaining in a matter of seconds before the Aurors and the Order reacted as well and followed the example of the students. It took some time for the Death Eaters to react, and by the time they did only a tenth of the attacking force was still in conditions to actually do something, and instead of continuing with the attack, they decided to take their chances with Voldemort and leave the battlefield. Instead of using their Portkeys (which had again been destroyed by Harry’s elementals) they Apparated away, leaving their fallen comrades in the hands of the defenders.

Harry smiled tiredly. The spell he had made up on the spot had taken a lot of magic from him: it wasn’t enough to provoke an EME, but he still needed to rest after the battle.

Gin, he asked his girlfriend, do you want to come with me?

Ginny slowly approached Harry and hugged him carefully, as if he might break from the effort he had put into the battle, and suddenly Ra appeared and flashed the young couple to the Gryffindors’ secret room in the Founders’ Lair.

hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwh ghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwh g

In an enclosed room in Saint Mungo’s hospital, several people started to wake up, many of them wondering what had happened to them, and asking themselves why were they in the magical hospital, with the last thing they remembered being a mouth without lips before everything went black.

It was one of those people, with a pale face and straw-coloured hair, that recovered among the first from the confusion the sudden recovery of so many patients caused, and took advantage of it to sneak out of the room, of the hospital, and then, with a maniacal grin, Apparated out of the hospital.

hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpg wrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpg wrwhg

Chapter 25! And it’s been 5 months since my last update! I am really sorry for such a long wait, I can hardly give excuses, as I should have updated before, but between the writer’s block, university and several social things I haven’t been able to write more and faster. However, I hope that this chapter is enough to satisfy you till the next one arrives.

The destruction of the Dementors was a thing that had been planned a few months ago, and I knew that the fact that Harry is able to craft his own spells would be instrumental in this situation. The spell is very powerful, so there might be unintended consequences of such a discharge of magic for Harry. They will be resolved, however, so don’t fret.

As for the last scene, I had wanted the people given the Dementor Kiss to revive and recover their souls. Of course, many people have already died since they were Kissed, but some have managed to survive for so long without their soul. 10 House Points to the one that guesses who escaped.

Also, many thanks to Amelie, my beta reader who has been doing an exceptional work in correcting the mistakes of this chapter and the rest of them (I plan to correct the mistakes soon).

Please, review, it’s very important for me to see that you care about the story.
Reviews 223
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear