Search:

SIYE Time:21:25 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


When You Wish Upon A Star
By LilyLady

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 7
Summary: Harry and Ginny share an evening talking about things other than the pressures of what's going on in the outside world...what will it lead to? *very fluffy*
Hitcount: Story Total: 4558



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Well, I'm trying again....please let me know what you think! If you find mistakes again, let me know....I tried harder this time, and even got it beta'd...Thanks, LittleDarlin909!




ChapterPrinter


When You Wish Upon A Star

Harry couldn’t take it anymore. He just couldn’t stand being around these people any longer. He had to take refuge outside, away from everyone…especially her…that fierce-tempered redhead who haunted his every waking moment (and most of his sleeping ones, too).

Harry had left his aunt and uncle’s house only two days previously. It had finally been the last time he would ever see Number 4 Privet Drive. The thought didn’t elate him as it should have…it only meant he was going to the Burrow, so he was going to be around her.

He’d managed to keep his resolve so far. Strangely enough, she was okay with it. Or she acted like it, anyway. She wasn’t badgering him about it, making him feel bad about it, or anything. She went along like nothing was wrong, just trying to be his friend.

Harry thought that was worse than anything she could have done. This way, he was still close to her, just not as close as he longed to be. He wanted to just grab her and snog her like mad, just like that day he’d done so in the common room after the Quidditch match. He wanted to be as carefree as he’d been then…without the weight of everything pressing on him from all sides…especially without her there.

She’d always understood. Better than anyone, even Hermione or Ron. He snorted at this. Like Ron would actually understand anyway. But it didn’t matter. He’d given her up, and was sticking to that.

So far.

Suddenly, he heard footsteps telling him he was no longer alone in the darkness. He automatically reached for his wand, forgetting the wards around the Burrow. He lowered it when he saw it was Ginny.

“Going to hex me, were you?” she asked in a quiet, teasing tone, coming to sit next to him. He groaned inwardly…he didn’t know if he could take this.

“Just being cautious,” he said quietly.

“We were getting worried about you. You just kind of walked out, and it’s so dark out here…” Ginny trailed off. God, she wanted nothing more than to just throw herself at him and cry her eyes out with the heartbreak she felt at having lost him…and at the torment she saw in his eyes…anything to ease his loneliness as well as hers…but she couldn’t do that. She couldn’t make him hurt worse than he did. So she laid down next to him instead.

Harry stiffened. She was so achingly close…he could touch her if he wanted….but he couldn’t. No. Suddenly something in the sky caught his eye. It was a falling star. He pointed it out to Ginny.

“When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you…” she sang softly, almost inaudibly. Harry strained to hear her…her voice was gorgeous.

“What was that?” he asked after she stopped. She blushed.

“Oh, nothing. Hermione showed me this thing Muggles call a videotape once…it was a ‘Disney movie’, I think she called it? Anyway, there was this bug on there, and that was a song it sang about wishing on stars. I know, it’s silly,” she trailed off, realizing she had been babbling like an incoherent idiot. Way to make a fool of yourself, Weasley, she mentally berated herself.

“Oh,” Harry said simply. He’d heard Hermione mention before the Muggle tradition of wishing on stars. He’d made his own wish when he saw it. “So, what did you wish for?” he asked her. She grinned.

“Can’t tell. It won’t come true.” And she wanted it to come true. More than anything, she wanted it to come true. He smiled at her answer. A small smile, yes, but a smile nonetheless.

How did she do this? She always made him smile. She always knew just what to say. Just what he did (and did not) want to talk about. And what he did want to talk about right now was her…them…and some way to fix it…but he couldn’t. And she knew that, too.

They lay in companionable silence for a little while.

“So have you seen any other Muggle movies that you liked?” Harry finally asked, desperate to hear her voice again (though he hated to admit it to himself). He’d even like her to sing again…she sounded heavenly to his ears.

“A few,” she replied. “Have you ever had the chance to see any?”

“Not really,” he answered regretfully. “Only a couple of times when I managed to sneak down the stairs while the Dursleys were watching one. And even then it wasn’t for long.” A few more moments of silence passed. “Tell me more about this singing bug movie, then,” he requested. She giggled.

It was odd, but this was just such an amazing feeling…lying here next to her, talking about absolutely nothing important…nothing to do with Voldemort, Death Eaters, or….him. He loved it and kept asking her pointless questions about the movies because he just wanted to not have to think about anything important.

“So then this big whale swallows him whole and he’s sitting in it’s stomach,” Ginny was saying. He had been staring at her and it caught her off guard, so she stopped. He loved the way the moonlight caught her hair, making it seem even more fiery than normal. She looked gorgeous. “What?” she asked self-consciously.

“Nothing,” he said quickly. He couldn’t tell her. “Go on.” She did, letting it drop, though she was still suspicious. He couldn’t stop glancing in her direction.

“And then he DOES become a real boy. He stopped lying about everything to everyone….” Including himself, she wanted to add, almost maliciously, but stopped herself. He heard the implication in her voice anyway. She looked too beautiful, she was too close…to perfect. He couldn’t help it. He wanted her back.

“Ginny…” he started. She cut him off.

“Harry, I need to tell you something. Please, just listen to me, okay?” Ginny asked. He could see the pleading in her eyes. He nodded, indicating that she should go on.

“Harry…I hate this. I don’t want to be without you. I was so happy WITH you. I know you were happy too. I know we’ve all been miserable since…well, since. But I know I’d be happier if I at least still had you. Harry…I know you still care about me. I know you do, because I can see it in your eyes and so can everyone else.” Here she took a deep breath. She’d discussed all of this with Hermione, and finally decided to say it.

“V-Voldemort will be able to see it in your eyes, too. Even if you’re broken up with me. He’ll still know. I would rather be your girlfriend again and take more of a chance on dying than have to live without you.” She felt tears pricking her eyes and angrily darted them away with her hand. “Harry…I…I think I love you…and I hate being apart from you,” she finished, unable to stop how thick her voice sounded.

He saw her start to cry. He instantly felt his insides shatter. He couldn’t stand that she was crying because of him. She said she loved him.

She loved him?

Dammit, he loved her, too. He knew he did. He reached over to brush her tears away gently.

“Ginny?” he tried again. She looked at him. “Gin…I know. I know I’ve been a right git. I’m sorry. The truth is, I’ve never needed you more. Just tonight…coming out here, talking to me mindlessly…you always know just what to say to me, and how to help me. I need that. I need you. And…I think I love you, too,” he finished.

She did fling herself into his arms this time. She hugged him tightly, her arms wrapped around him as tight as they would go, as if afraid that if she let go she’d lose him again. He hugged her to him just as tightly, revelling in the feeling that was Ginny again…finally. He felt himself melt into her, and pulled away as far as he had to in order to capture her lips with his.

He kissed her passionately, all the longing that had built up over the weeks of being apart surfacing and adding ferocity to their kiss. When they finally pulled apart, both were panting slightly from their exertions. They still remained tangled in one another’s arms. Suddenly, they heard a shout.

“YES!” a voice yelled, followed by other cheering. Whipping his head around, Harry saw the Weasley brothers and Hermione staring at him and Ginny, all smiling. He blushed and laughed, placing his forehead against hers as she giggled, too. So much for their own little private moment.

After they’d chased off everyone else, Harry and Ginny continued to lay under the stars, though closer this time. Her head was on his chest, and he was stroking her long red hair.

“Sing for me again,” he requested. She giggled.

“You like my singing?” she asked. He nodded vigorously. She smiled and sang that song again.

“So, can you tell me yet what you wished for?” he asked when she was done. She giggled again before answering.

“Let’s just say, it definitely came true,” she said with a big smile. He hugged her to him.

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you…

It certainly did,
they both thought at the same time. He let the feeling of this bliss wash over him, knowing it was going to be among the last few happy moments he’d have for awhile.

But he loved her, and that would get him through.
Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear