Search:

SIYE Time:4:02 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Erasing The Future
By Moxterminator

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 545
Summary: Harry goes back in time to redo his Hogwarts years after losing the war, his family, and his wife, Ginny Potter, to Voldemort. Changes need to be made, but can all changes be good? Years 1-4
Hitcount: Story Total: 397055; Chapter Total: 9045
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Heya Guys next Chapter for ya. and the next one should be up at the weekend




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry was getting rather nervous now that the end of year exams were coming up. The first two days were the written exams that Harry knew he aced. However, come the last two final days it was the practical exams. They were something Harry wasn’t sure whether he was looking forward to or not. Luckily, the first practical exam was Potions. And even though Harry knew Snape would try and fail him, he also knew that Dumbledore would step in to stop that from happening.


. Harry took a deep breath to gather his courage before opening the door and entering the room for his next exam. The exam after Potions happened to be Transfiguration, and he wasn't happy about it. Harry walked into the empty classroom to see Professor McGonagall sitting at her desk and on the desk was a mouse waiting to be transfigured into a snuff-box.


“Ah, Harry. Are you ready to try this?” McGonagall gently asked him. She was obviously not expecting much. Harry just nodded. It was a shame Harry had to break his squib act. Although it was a hassle to limit his magic like that, it made enemies underestimate him, and Harry couldn’t complain about that. But for the first time since Christmas Harry realised that he had to do magic now. He wouldn’t risk not being here next year to protect Ginny.


Harry turned to look at the mouse on the table and brought out his wand. “As part of the exam you are required to turn the mouse into a snuff box. You may begin when you are ready.” McGonagall stated. Right then, Harry decided that although he had to show magic he didn’t have to show how much he knew . So he purposely said the incantation wrong two times before saying it right. Harry saw McGonagall’s face change from the sadness of watching Harry fail two attempts , to shock when the mouse turned into a snuff box on the third try.


Harry smiled at her, waiting for her to speak, and when she didn’t Harry decided to break the silence.


“So did I pass professor?” Harry asked.


McGonagall’s face broke into a smile when she heard what Harry had asked. “It definitely seems so, Mr Potter. Although you do realise in practical exams that you only get three chances to do the spell. But I’ve got to say I am extremely happy to see you performing magic. You obviously have been studying hard. Five points Mr Potter. It would be more, but technically we’re not supposed to give out points in exams. Good luck with the rest of your exams Harry.”


After that Harry breezed through the rest of the exams with varying success. In Herbology, he succeeded, on the first try, in identifying the plants in Greenhouse 1 and demonstrating care for a few of them as no magic was needed. For DADA, which was proctored by Dumbledore himself, Harry adopted a lazy posture and silently cast a blindingly bright Lumos with a slight flick of his wand. Dumbledore wrote down that the boy succeeded on the second try. Late that night, Harry quickly pointed out Venus and a few stars for Astronomy, rattled down their locations on paper, and confidently left the class half an hour hour early to prepare for bed. It was in Charms where Harry repeated his act in Transfiguration, that is, fail on the first two tries and succeed dismally on the last ..

Throughout all of this, Harry never mentioned to Hermione and the others that he was now doing magic. He thought that it would be a nice surprise for Hermione when they received their test results back and she saw Harry had passed the practical exams.


Although the last two days were practicals, Harry’s last exam was another written one. History of Magic. Even if it was easy, Harry had to cheer with the others when theexam was finally over. Now that the exams were over, the students were free to mill around for the rest of the day.


Harry, Ron, Neville and Hermione were discussing the just-finished History of Magic exam as they wandered outside, their wanderings taking them toward the lake, when Harry heard someone trying sneak up on them. Harry whipped out his wand and pointed it straight at Malfoy who was crouched ten feet away.


“My god Malfoy, haven’t I warned you enough times to stop bothering us?” Harry said, annoyed. It was so tempting to hex him. And now that his squib act was broken, he really didn’t have an excuse not to. Malfoy looked at Crabbe and Goyle who were standing next to each other just behind him.


“Potter. You’re pathetic, you think that you can just warn people off and they’re going to get scared of you and do what you want.” Malfoy sneered. “I'm not scared of you. Tell you what, I will give you a free shot at me.” Malfoy said putting his wand back into his pocket and turned around as if to add insult to injury. “I’ll give you one free shot,” he called out behind him.


Harry smiled gently to himself and pointed his wand to Malfoy’s backside. He muttered “Pardos Minui” before looking at Malfoy who had turned back around to sneer at him. Harry realised that Malfoy didn’t hear Harry’s spell and this caused Harry to enjoy the moment even more. Harry noticed after a couple of seconds that Malfoy started fidgeting. Harry turned to look at Ron, Neville, and Hermione and saw they were looking at Malfoy with curiosity. Harry looked back at Malfoy and noticed he had his hand close to his buttocks and was fiddling about.


“What’s wrong Malfoy?” Harry asked him, trying not to burst out laughing.


“What did you do!” Malfoy hissed out whilst trying to sort his pants out.


“I think it’s called a WEDGY!” Harry shouted the last word out and then burst out laughing with Ron and Neville whilst Malfoy ran back to the castle, fidgeting with his pants on the way. It took the three of them five minutes before they settled back down again.


“Harry, where did you learn that spell?” Hermione asked.


“Sirius.” Harry squeezed out between laughs, and that was the truth. It was one of the first spells Sirius taught him.


“Congrats mate.” Neville said as he slapped Harry on the back. “I guess you aren’t much of a squib now, are you?” Harry just smiled, laughing with Ron, who was attempting to recreate Malfoy's expression, but failing miserably since he was laughing so hard. Hermione was standing to the side, but Harry caught her beaming smile when he glanced at her. Harry smiled back as they continued down the path towards the lake, thoughts of flopping under the cool shade of the trees nearby egging them on.


“Man its feels so good to be free.” Neville joked as the group finally settled down.


“No more revision.” Ron exclaimed. “You should be glad Harry, not worried. You can do magic finally and we’ve got a week until we find out how bad we actually did. Enjoy the moment.”


“I’m just worried about the stone that’s all.” Harry said, his face completely sincere. He wasn't worried about his grades because he knew that he had passed all of the exams. Not with as high of grades as he would like, but he didn't want the others to be suspicious considering how poor his performance was throughout the year.. However, the stone bothered him more than he would like. What happened if he failed this time? What if Voldemort succeeded in taking the stone this time?


“Harry relax, the stone is perfectly safe as long as Dumbledore is around. Anyway, we don’t have any proof that Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg removed the last time he tried. So it’s not likely he’s going to try again anytime soon. And Hermione will ride a broom before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down. No offence Hermione.” Ron said.


“He’s right, Harry,” Hermione agreed, shooting a venomous glare at the redhead, “Hagrid would never betray Dumbledore.” .


“You’re right... you’re right…” Harry said, nodding. Now, Harry prayed his acting skills was believable. “Unless…” Harry sat straight up, looking at Hagrid’s hut.


“Why the hell didn’t I think of it before!” Harry exclaimed as he stood upand dashed for Hagrid’s hut. ‘Lets just hope they take in the act,’ Harry thought as he reached Hagrid’s hut, slightly winded. He knocked on the door frantically to complete the act. The others finally arrived, asking why he was in such a hurry.


“Well ’ullo 'Arry.” Hagrid greeted when he finally opened the door. He looked at the group gathered before him and noticed their tired state,“You look all hot and bothered. Why enough would you want to go running in this heat. Want a drink to cool off?”


“Yes please Hag…” Ron said before Harry cut him of.


“No Hagrid, we’re in a bit of a hurry.” Harry said. He prayed no one asked him why he was asking these certain questions. “The man who you won Norbert off of, what did he look like?”


“Dunno,” Hagrid replied “he never took ’is ’ood off.” Ron, Hermione and Neville all looked at each other whilst Harry went and tried to ask another question but before he could Hagrid answered the other three’s silent question. “You get a lot o’ weird folk in the Hog's Head. That’s one of the pubs down into th’ village. Mighta been a dragon dealer mightin’ he. I never saw his face. Kept his ’ood up all the time.”


“What did you talk about, Hagrid…? Was Hogwarts mentioned…?” Harry asked knowing full well the answer.


“Yeah it might ’ave come up. ’ang on.” Hagrid said trying to remember. “Yeah ‘e asked what I did. And I told ’im that I was the games keeper here. Looked after the grounds and the animals in the forest. And I also told ’im ‘ow much I would love to ’ave a dragon. After that I can’ remember too much ‘cause ’e kept buying me drinks. But I remember ’im saying ’e ’ad a dragon egg and we could play cards for it if I wanted. But ’e ’ad to be sure I could handle the dragon so ‘e asked what exact creatures I looked after. ’e didn’t want it to go to a bad ‘ome see. So I told ‘im after Fluffy a dragon should be easy.”


“And he was interested in Fluffy?” Neville asked. Harry looked at Neville. Harry reckoned Neville knew where this was heading but Hermione and Ron were still at a loss.


“Well, who wouldn’t be?” Hagrid said. “’ow many threeheaded dogs do you know? Especially around ’ogwarts. So I told him, Fluffy’s a piece o' cake as long as you know ’ow to calm him down. You just play a little piece of music and ’e falls right off to sleep.” Hagrid then turned his head to the others in shock horror at what he just said. “Forget I told ya tha’. I should not have told ya tha’. ’ey wait, where ya goin’?”


Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville ran back up to the school and didn’t speak until they reached the entrance hall. “We’ve got to tell Dumbledore.” Hermione said “But where does he live. Anyone know? Harry?”


Harry was just about to answer when he heard McGonagall’s voice carry over to them. “What are you four doing in here?” Harry turned to see her descending the stairs while carrying a stack of books.


“Professor Mcgonagall, we need to see Professor Dumbledore.” Hermione said.


“Yeah it’s important.” Ron seconded.


“See Professor Dumbledore?” McGonagall repeated. “May I ask why?”


“We’d rather not say.” Harry started.


“Yeah, it's a secret.” Ron finished for him. Harry hung his head. That isn’t what Harry wanted to hear come out of his friend's mouth. And, apparently, neither did Professor McGonagall.


“Professor Dumbledore left the school about ten minutes ago.” McGonagall coldly explained. “He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flooed off for London at once.”


“He’s gone?” Ron asked.


“Now?” Neville continued.


“But this is really important Professor.” Hermione insisted.


“Something that is more important than the Ministry of Magic Ms Granger?” McGonagall asked her.


“Yeah it’s about the Philosopher’s Stone.” Harry said ignoring his friends' incredulous stares as he threw all caution out of the window. Heck they told her last time.


Harry saw McGonagall drop the books she was carrying. They landed with a lighter thump than he expected, apparently the books were lighter than they appeared. “How did you know…” she stuttered out, shock written over her face.


“Professor, we know someone is going to try and steal the stone. You need to get Dumbledore back here as soon as possible.” Harry told her. Harry couldn’t believe he forget to tell Dumbledore about the fake ministry note.


“Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow.” McGonagall primly said. “I do not know how you four know about the stone but rest assured it is very well protected.”


“But…” Ron began.


“I do know what I'm talking about believe or not. I suggest you all go outside and enjoy the weather.” McGonagall said and the four of them went away. However they didn’t go back outside. As soon as McGonagall was out of view the four of them hurried up the stairs towards the common room.


“It’s tonight.” Harry said. “It’s got to be tonight.”


“But what can we do?” Neville said.


Ron was just about to speak when Hermione gasped. Harry turned around to see Snape looking at them suspiciously.


“Good afternoon.” Snape said. Harry was shocked to the core. Snape being polite. What was wrong with this world? “You shouldn’t be inside on a day like this.”


“We were…” Neville began. The boy might have been more confident, but one year was definitely not going to be enough when dealing with Snape, as the boy was still quivering.


“Shut it Longbottom, you could never in a million years come up with a good excuse.” Snape snapped at him.


“Mind if I give it a shot?” Harry said. He knew it wasn’t really a good time to crack jokes but he really couldn’t let that one past him.


Snape turned to Harry. “You want to be more careful Potter.” Snape said. “Hanging around corridors like this. People would believe that you were up to something. And this reminds me. I just spoke to Mr Malfoy. He clamed that you jinxed him down by the lake.”


“Me sir?” Harry said. “But I'm a squib.”


“Don’t tell lies Potter.” Snape hissed out. “All that the teachers could do the past week was rave about the fact you could actually do magic. I mean are you a wizard or not. Of course you would be able to do magic. Although not very well I might add. You want to be more careful Potter anyhow. Wandering the corridors like this, people might think that you’re… well… up to something. It would be disappointing if Gryffindor lost house points this close to the end of year. Even though Slytherin is already in the lead.”


With that Snape left them, striding off towards the teachers staff room. Once the four of them arrived at the common room they sat down in their usual places by the fire.


“We need to make sure Snape doesn’t do anything.” Ron said.


“Right, Hermione go to the staff room and wait for Professor Snape. Once he makes for the stone,follow him.” Harry said even though he knew she would fail he needed something to pass the time. He really didn’t want to go down the corridor until tonight.


“Why me?” Hermione asked.


“Isn’t it obvious.” Ron said “You can pretend that you are waiting for Professor Flitwick.” Ron put on a high pitch voice. “Oh professor I think I got question fourteen b wrong.”


“Alright, alright I’ll do it.” Hermione agreed as she gave another pointed glare at Ron. “As long as you shut that infernal racket,” she continued as she jabbed him on the chest with a finger. Ron winced and quickly stopped with the voice.

“Now we need someone needs to watch the third floor corridor,” Harry suggested.


“Yeah, me and Neville can do that.” Ron said.


“But what does that leave Harry to do.” Hermione said.


“I bet Hedwig could get to London pretty quickly if she tried. I’ll send a letter to Dumbledore. Maybe we can get him back.” Harry said and soon the four of them were heading off in different directions. Harry sprinted off but didn’t go to the Owlery. He went into the hiding room where Estelle and Simon stayed. “Estelle!” Harry shouted out as she flew towards him.


“What’s up Harry?” she asked.


“Take me to the Owlery but make sure no one is there first.” Harry told her, grabbing her tail feathers. Estelle gave him an indignant look and waited a couple of seconds before flaming them to the Owlery tower.


“HEDWIG.” Harry called. Harry waited a minute before he saw her flying down towards him. Harry grabbed a spare parchment and quill and hurriedly wrote a note to Dumbledore. “Hedwig, hurry, take this to Dumbledore. you'll find him at the Ministry of Magic” Giving a nod to Estelle, who flamed out immediately, Harry left the owlery and returned to the common room.As expected, Ron and Neville were already there.


“We tried mate.” Ron said.


“Yeah but McGonagall saw us. She went off on us and then told us to leave.” Neville explained.


“It’s alright guys.” Harry said sitting down at his favorite couch. “Maybe Hermione had better luck.” It was then Hermione decided to come through the portrait hole.


“I’m really sorry guys.” Hermione said sorrow in her voice. “Snape came out and asked me what I was doing. I said I was waiting for Professor Flitwick so he went to get him. I panicked and ran for it. But now I haven’t got a clue where Snape went.”


“Well, that’s that then. We have no choice. We have to get to the stone first.” Harry said.


“What?” Hermione queried.


“You’re mad!” Ron barked out


“You sure there isn’t another way?” Neville said.


“You’ll get expelled.” Hermione said. “Remember what McGonagall and Snape said.”


“First off it’s Snape we’re trying to stop, so he has no say in this. Secondly, don’t you understand what it would be like with Voldemort back?” Harry said, his future memories coming to the forefront of his mind. “Haven’t you three been told what it was like with Voldemort running around? Neville, surely you’re with me on this.”


Neville looked up at Harry. “I hate doing this to you Neville but think of your parents. Think what they went through. With him back there is a possibility that could happen to other people.” Neville continued to stare at Harry and then after a minute looked at the fire. “If Voldemort comes back there is a very likely possibility that there will be no Hogwarts to get expelled from. Losing points doesn’t matter anymore compared to Voldemort killing you. Ron think of Ginny. Think what Voldemort might do to her. Hermione. You’re a muggle born. Your family will be top of his hit list. He will want to kill you and your parents simply because you were born with muggle parents. Don’t you understand this? We either try and get the stone before Voldemort or we die either way. Because with hell if I ever go over to the dark side. Voldemort killed my parents. I am not going to sit back and let Voldemort have a clean shot at us. I'm going to stand up to him and try and stop him.”


“I’m with you Harry.” Neville said looking away from the fire. “I’m coming with you.”


“Yeah you’re right Harry.” Hermione said.


“But will the invisibility cloak cover all four of us?” Ron asked.


“We’ll make it fit.” Harry replied.


***


After dinner the four waited nervously by the fire in the common room as they waited for the other Gryffindors to go to bed. Eventually after two hours the common room was deserted. Harry went upstairs to grab the cloak and came back down to where the others were waiting for him.


Once Harry got back to the others Harry pointed his wand at the cloak and muttered “Engorgio.” The cloak grew enough that it could cover all four of them nicely and they headed out towards the third floor. They didn’t meet anyone until they arrived at the base of the staircase heading up to the third floor. Peeves was by the entrance loosening the carpet so that students and faculty would later trip on the humps. As they got closer Peeves turned and looked straight at them..


“Who’s there?” Peeves asked. “Know you there, even if I can’t see you. Are you ghoulie or ghostie or a wee student beastie? I should call Filch you know. If something is creeping about unseen.”


“Moi a wee student beastie? At least I know what you think of me Peeves and it hurts.” Harry said, his voice coming out as clear as day in the silent hall He poked his head out from under the cloak.


Peeves fell out of the air with shock and hit the ground without a sound. Quickly picking himself up, the ghost started stammering.“Harry! Didn’t see you. Of course I didn’t, seeing that you’re invisible.”


“Nice prank there Peeves.” Harry said looking at the carpet.


“Why thank you Harry.” Peeves cackled. “I'm glad you approve.”


“We’re kind of busy at the moment Peeves. Stay away from here tonight.” Harry told the poltergeist as he moved his head back under the cloak.


“Okely Dokely” Peeves said and flew off through the wall.


“I know Hermione told me about you being able to tell Peeves what to do but that was bloody brilliant.” Ron said.


“We need to keep going.” Harry told them as they walked closer to the forbidden corridor. When they arrived they noticed that the door was already ajar. Harry slowly pushed the door open.


Harry threw the cloak off of them and instantly played a tune on the flute that he had received from Hagrid at Christmas. The tune was of a song Ginny used to sing in the future. Fluffy’s eyes started drooping and within a minute Fluffy was fast asleep.


“Keep playing.” Ron told him and Harry rolled his eyes.


‘Duh’. Harry thought.


Ron stepped over Fluffy’s paw and towards the trapdoor. Ron opened it and peered downwards.


“What can you see?” Hermione asked him.


“Nothing.” Ron said. “We’ll have to jump.” Harry instantly starting waving his hand to capture Ron’s attention. “You want to go first?” Ron asked him. Harry gave Ron a thumbs up. “Alright give the flute to Neville.” Ron said, ignoring Nevilles's gaping expression


Harry gave the flute to Neville and a horribly discordant clash of squeaks and moans filled the air as Neville started playing straight away. Neville obviously couldn't play a flute as well as Harry, and Fluffy gave a restless rumble, freezing the four children in place, but bad playing seemed to be enough to keep the three-headed dog asleep.


“Ron don’t follow until I tell you to okay.” Harry whispered and Ron nodded. Harry jumped down the hole and Harry fell and fell through the air until he came to a stop with a flump. As soon as he got his bearings he struggled away from the Devils Snare. Harry wasn’t going to get caught in it this time. As soon as he was free, Harry called up to them to follow. Hermione arrived first, and sat there for a moment wondering about the softness of her landing. As the plant started creeping onto her, she realized the dangers of staying and struggled to escape the grasp of the plant in the center. She managed to move enough that Neville had a clear landing zone when he arrived. Up above, in the room that contained Fluffy, there was a low growl and a shout of surprise. It took Neville little time for him to recognize what he landed on and to get off of the plant immediately. He leapt out of the way just in time to avoid Ron hasty fall. Unlike the others, Ron failed to recognize the danger and he stayed sitting there for a moment too long even though they were hissing at him to move.


“Come on guys what’s the matter? I'm moving.” Ron said but found out that he couldn’t. “What’s going on? Help me.”


“Ron keep still. It’s Devil’s Snare, the more you move the quicker it will kill you.” Hermione ordered in a panicky voice. She tried pulling herself forward only to wince, as the plant surrounding her leg squeezed even more. “God I cant remember how to kill it.”


“That’s helpful!” Ron screamed out.


“Devil’s Snare hates fire.” Neville said.


“Yes of course!” Hermione smiled shakily then her face got scared. “But we have no wood.”


Harry whipped out his wand and pointed it at the plant shouting “Incendio”. Flames shot out of Harry’s wand and in ten seconds Ron had fought his way over to the others, pulling Hermione out along the way.


“Boy Harry, I'm sure glad you chose today to start doing magic.” Ron said to him. Ron turned to Hermione. “No wood? Are you sure you’re feeling alright Hermione.”


“I’m sorry Ron.” Hermione said. “I just forgot. I don’t understand why.”


“It’s okay.” Ron said. “Come on, lets continue.” So the four of them continued along the path until they came to a brightly lit chamber. Harry looked up to see the flying keys.


“Do you think they will attack us if we try and cross the room?” Ron asked.


“They’re not birds Ron, they’re keys.” Harry told him as he walked to the door on the opposite side of the room.


Once all four of them arrived, Neville tried the door. It was locked. Undeterred, he pulled out his wand and incanted “Alohomora.” Nothing happened. Neville looked at the others and shrugged. “It was worth a try.”


Harry pointed over to the broomsticks in the far corner. “I think we need to try and catch the right one.” The others looked at where he was pointing and Harry noticed that Hermione and Neville were getting nervous.


“There are hundreds of them.” Hermione moaned.


“We’re looking for a big old fashioned one, probably silver like the door handle.” Ron said examining the lock.


They all seized a broomstick and flew up into the air. They flew for ten minutes before Harry spotted the one they wanted. He flew after it but it was too quick. Soon the others had noticed Harry flying wildly around the room and correctly guessed that he was following the key. They flew over and joined him in the chase.. After cornering it Harry seized it and flew down. With a vicious jab, he stuffed it in the lock. As soon as the door was unlocked the key took flight again, but not before fluttering in his face a few times as if it were angrily cursing him off.


They went through the door, only to find a dark empty room ten feet wide and ten feet long. There was no visible light source, however a dim blackish glow seemed to envelope the room, making it possible to see, but giving the room an eerie quality. Nothing was in the room except for a door on the other side of the room.


“"Well, this one is easy," Ron said as he walked over to the door on the opposite side of the room.. “Erm guys?” Ron said uneasy.


“What Ron?” Harry said. He didn’t like this. This wasn’t here last time.


“There’s no keyhole or door handle.” Ron said looking at Harry. “And it won’t push open.”


Harry looked at the other door they just came through and sighed in relief when it did have a door handle.


“You can go back but not forward.” Hermione said. “What are we going to do now?”


Harry touched the knobless door, only to jerk his hand back in surprise when a jolt of magic flared through his hand.


“This is Sirius’s.” he realized.


“What?” Hermione asked. The others were also staring at him, and it was then that Harry knew that he had said that aloud.


“Think about it.” Harry said as he turned away from the door. “The keys were Flitwick’s idea. The Devil's snare was Sprout’s,” Harry counted, using his fingers to keep track, “...and Fluffy was Hagrid’s test. That leaves Sirius’s, McGonagall’s, Quirrell’s, Snape’s, and something Dumbledore himself did.” At the others' nod, Harry continued, “McGonagall's test will probably have some sort of transfiguration. Quirrell's will have something to do with the Dark Arts,” Harry paused for a moment to think, “Probably a dark creature, because that is all that he teaches. Snape's probably has something to do with potions. Dumbledore's test will be the last line of defence, and it will probably involve the actual stone itself. So that only leaves Sirius.”


“Okay so you know Sirius better than anyone. Heck, he’s your godfather. So what do you think this is?” Neville asked.


“Don’t know.” Harry said as he gave a half-hearted shrug. He walked up to the door and put his right hand on the door again. Like last time, Harry felt a jolt as his hand brushed against the wood work. Why would the door have magic in it?. “Mm I wonder. A password maybe?” Harry said aloud.


“That would make sense, but what password?. That could be anything.” Hermione moaned.


Harry just smirked and she looked on confused. “Like Neville said, I probably know more about Sirius then anyone else. I have an idea what the password might be.” Harry put his hand on the door and said aloud. “I solemnly swear I’m up to no good.” Harry waited but the door stayed closed.


“Well I’m out of ideas.” Harry said with a helpless look.


“Harry it’s protecting the stone.” Hermione reminded him. “Why would someone up to no good be allowed through? Only someone with good intentions should be allowed through.”


“Okay, okay.” Harry said. “I solemnly swear I’m up to good.” Harry joked. However he stopped laughing when he heard a click and the door opened up to let them through. “Okay I was just joking with that.” Harry said surprised that it actually worked. ‘ How would Quirrell guess that?’ He thought as they walked into the gigantic room with the chessboard. The white and black pieces stood motionless in their relative squares, ready for the game to start.


“What’s this? We have to play to get past?” Neville joked.


“Yup” Harry said and Neville stopped laughing when he saw that Harry was serious. He turned to Ron and clapped the redhead on the back. “Your moment to shine mate.”


Ron stared at the chessboard for a moment before turning to Harry and nodding.


“Tell us what to do.” Hermione said to Ron, prompting him to start acting.


Ron thought for a moment before making a decision. “Okay so I guess we have to take a place of a chess piece to get across,” as he said this, he was looking at Harry for confirmation. At Harry's nod, he continued. “Harry, take the place of that bishop. Hermione go next to him and take that Rook. Neville take the other Rook. I’ll be that Knight.”


“White always moves first in chess.” Ron said and as he said that a white pawn had moved two spaces forward. Soon Ron was directing the black pieces as a general would order his troops. “Harry move diagonally four spaces to the right.” Harry moved and the game went on. When it came for the blacks to lose a piece Hermione suddenly got very nervous.


“Ron you don’t think its going to be like… Real Wizard chess?” Hermione asked him.


“Pawn to E5.” Ron shouted. The black pawn shuffled to its designated space.. There was a tremendous crack as a neighboring bishop suddenly pounced ,delivering a tremendous blow with its scepter that shattered the black pawn into several pieces.Harry and the others watched as the bishop dragged the remaining bits off the chessboard. “Yes Hermione,” Ron said whilst gulping. “I think it’s going to be exactly like wizard's chess.”


The battle was fierce but going well. When a white piece took a black, Ron always managed to find some way to counter attack and take twice as many white pieces.


“Let me think…” Ron muttered to himself. Ron looked at the white queen and then around him. “Yes… it’s the only way…I’ve got to be taken.”


“WHAT? NO!” screamed Hermione.


“Ron, mate! Do you know what you’re doing?” Neville asked in a panicked voice.


“That’s chess.” Ron said to them. “You have to make some sacrifices! Harry you’re with me.”


“No. But I know arguing with you is no point. You’re going to do it anyway.” There was a strange expression on Harry's face as he said this.


“I have to move to that spot,” Ron explained pointing a spot three spaces in front and one square to the right, “The queen will have to take me since my move will put their king in check. Then Harry will be free to checkmate the king.” Ron explained.


“There’s got to be another way!” Hermione screamed at him.


“Do you want to stop Snape or not?” Ron said, a quiver was heard in his brave voice. “We are wasting time arguing. If we don’t hurry up he will already have the stone! And don’t hang around once you’ve won.” Before the others had a chance to react, Ron shouted out his next move and the horse that he was riding on leapt over the opposing queen and landed heavily on its space.. The queen wasted little time in stepping from a nearby square to strike Ron off of his mount. Hermione shrieked as Ron flopped to the ground, but she retained enough sense to remain in her square.


Now that the queen had moved out of his path, Harry was free to move three spaces back and to the left. .No words were exchanged as the white king took off his crown and threw it down at Harry’s feet. Harry, Hermione and Neville rushed to Ron to see if he was alright.


“Neville, will you stay with him and make sure he’s alright?” Harry asked. Neville just nodded. Harry and Hermione took one look at each other and walked through the door and into a torch-lit corridor. Harry looked at Hermione and he could tell she was worrying.


“What if…?” Hermione started.


“He’s going to be fine.” Harry said. “Neville’s with him. He’ll be fine.” They reached another door and inside they saw an unconscious troll. The smell was horrible so, without asking any questions, they quickly hurried to the next room.


As soon as they stepped inside a fire immediately sprang up in the doorway leading onwards and backwards. The one leading backwards was coloured purple. The one leading forwards was black. In the middle of the small room was a table and on it were different sized potion bottles. Next to the bottles was a piece of paper with writing on it. Hermione picked it up and read it out loud:


Danger Lies before you, whilst safety lies behind,
Two of us will help you, whichever you would find,
One among us seven will let you move ahead,
Another will transport the drinker back instead,
Two among our number hold only nettle wine,
Three of us are killer, waiting hidden in line,
Chose, unless you wish to stay here for evermore,
To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four:
First, however slyly the poison tries to hide,
You will always find some on nettles wines left side;
Second, different are those that stand at either end,
But if you would move onwards, neither is you friend;
Third, as you see clearly, all are different size,
Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;
Fourth, the second left and second on the right
Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight.


(J.K. Rowling — Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone)


“Brilliant” Hermione breathed out. “This isn’t magic. Its logic, a puzzle. A lot of great wizards haven’t got an ounce of logic. They’d be stuck here for ever more.”


“Okay so let’s sort out those clues.” Harry said and they read the piece of paper. Hermione kept walking down the aisle whilst Harry kept looking at the bottles. Before they knew it, He started picking each bottle up and shaking it before putting it back down.


“Harry what are you doing?” Hermione demanded as Harry stopped at the smallest bottle.


“Simple.” Harry said. “This is Snape’s defence is it not?” and Hermione just nodded her head. “So Snape will know which one will get him through the fire, they made a mistake of filling every bottle up to the brim. However...” he gave the one that he was holding a vigorous shake, a faint sound of sloshing liquid was heard, “ “...this one is half empty. So it must be the one that Snape took. He isn’t dead on the floor and we didn't meet him along the way so that means he’s gone forward. This is the potion that will let us continue forward. You just need to work out which one to take us back to Ron and Neville so that we can return later.” Harry explained.


“That is brilliant Harry. Hang on” Hermione said as she scanned the piece of paper again. She suddenly grabbed the rounded bottle at the end of the line. “This one will take us back towards Ron and Neville.”


“Okay you drink that and get back to Ron and Neville.” Harry said despite Hermione starting to protest “Grab brooms from the flying room, they’ll help you get up the trapdoor and past Fluffy. Go straight to Professor McGonagall, I've already sent a letter to the headmaster so he should be back very soon. Ask McGonagall to take you to him. Explain to him what’s happening. We need him. I can hold Snape off for a while. But only for a while.”


“But what if You-Know-Who is there?” Hermione asked, unhappy with Harry's decision.


“How many times have I told you three to call him Voldemort.” Harry said, annoyed. “Fear of the name only increases fear of itself.”


“You’re a great wizard. You know that Harry.” Hermione said.


“Come on Hermione. I only just managed to start doing magic.” Harry said.


“Magic isn’t everything Harry.” Hermione said. “Friendship, Bravery. They’re the important things. And Harry, be careful. Please.


Harry nodded. “You drink first.” And Hermione gulped down the potion.


“It feels like ice.” Hermione said.


“Go quickly” Harry urged to her. “Before it runs out.” Hermione turned around to say something else. “GO!” Harry shouted at her before she could say anything and Hermione walked through the purple flames.


Harry turned and looked at the black flames. He gulped down the potion before striding through the flames and into the final room.

This was Dumbledore's test, for there, in the center of the room, stood the Mirror of Erised. As Harry descended the wide steps leading to the mirror, he seemed to be unaware that a pair of eyes, Quirrell's, were watching him from behind the mirror.


“Hello Potter.” Quirrell said, stepping out from behind the mirror once Harry arrived at the bottom step. “I was wondering if I was going to see you here tonight.”


“Oh goodie, I'm glad I didn’t disappoint you.” Harry replied, struggling to hide his lack of surprise.


Quirrell snapped his fingers and ropes sprang up, wrapping themselves around Harry. “You’re too nosy to live Potter. Your wanderings around Halloween. I thought that you had figured me out then and came to stop me from seeing what was guarding the stone. Unfortunately, whilst everyone including yourself went after the troll Snape figured me out and headed me off at the third floor corridor. So not only did the troll fail to kill you, Snape also successfully lived that night when that blasted dog of Hagrid’s failed to devour him. Now please stop talking whilst I try and examine this wonderful mirror.”


“You're not going to get it you know.” Harry said out loud. “Do you really think Dumbledore is dumb enough to come up with something you or Voldemort could get past?”


“You dare speak my master’s name?” Quirrell said, shuffling nervously in front of the mirror. “That’s awfully dumb of you.”


“Fear of the name only increases fear of itself.” Harry replied, trying to keep Quirrell busy while he wandlessly loosened the ropes around him.


“You do not think Voldemort should be feared?” Quirrell questioned sweetly.


“Why fear someone who isn’t in power at the moment.” Harry countered.


“ You had best watch your words, Potter. As soon as I get the stone, he will return to power. And I will be there by his side, as his most loyal servant.” Quirrell said with a frightful expression on his face..


‘I wonder where I've heard that before’. Harry thought detached from his situation.


“You know, I heard you sobbing a few days ago in an empty classroom. You aren’t scared of your master are you? I mean he’s your master, he’s not actually going to hurt you. Oh wait I’ve heard that even though he killed when he was in power he really enjoyed torturing and killing his followers. After that, I always wondered where he found more.” Harry said with a vicious smirk.


A flicker of fear quickly went over Quirrell’s face. “Sometimes… I find it hard to follow my master’s orders. He is a great wizard and I am weak.”


“So he was actually in the classroom?” Harry said even though he already knew the answer. 'There!' he thought, and with a mental push the ropes binding him were ready to vanish in a moment of thought. Now, Harry had to waitfor the right moment to attack.


“He is with me wherever I go.” Quirrell answered quietly. “I met him when I travelled around the world. A foolish young man I was then, full of ridiculous ideas about good and evil. Lord Voldemort showed me how wrong I was. There is no good and Evil, there is only power and those too weak to seek it… Since then, I have served him faithfully, although I have let him down many times. He has had to be very hard on me. He does not forgive mistakes easily. When I failed to steal the stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me… decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me…”


Quirrell cursed under his breath. “I don’t understand… is the stone inside the mirror? Should I break it? I see myself presenting my master with the stone. But where is it! What do I need to do? Help me master!”


“Use the boy!” commanded a sickly voice. Even though he wasn't in sight, Voldemort had finally decided to show himself.


“Boy?” Harry questioned. “I do have a name you know, Tom.”


“Tom?” Quirrell asked as he hesitated briefly in his advance. It was as good a time to act as any, Harry decided, as he vanished the ropes binding his hands and feet and charged at Quirrel with a roar. He didn't even make it halfway before a stone slab tilted up slightly and intercepted his foot, tripping him. . Harry flopped ungracefully onto the hard stone floor.


‘Oh perfect, Harry. Yeah you’re really going to defeat him like this.” Harry winced before feeling something jabbing into his head. Harry didn't need to look up to know that it was Quirrell's wand.


“Come here Potter.” Quirrell ordered “look in the mirror and tell me what you see. Or I will kill you.”


Harry complied since Quirrell had the upper-hand at the moment. With a groan, and ignoring the sharp pains in his knees, he slowly stood up and walked up to the mirror. Harry smiled as his parents came into view as well as an older Ginny holding a little baby girl. A little different from last time, but enticing all the same.


“Well?” demanded Quirrell. “What do you see?”


“My Family.” Harry replied.


“Get out of the way.” Quirrell said.


Harry moved five spaces out of the way when he heard Voldemort screech. “I can not read him! He could be lying.”


“Potter come back here! Tell me what you see.” Quirrell said walking towards Harry.


“Let me speak to him face to face.” Voldemort said.


“Master you are not strong enough!” Quirrell said.


“I have strength enough for this.” Voldemort screamed out.


Harry watched as he saw Quirrell unwrap his turban to show the snake like face of one Lord Voldemort.


“Harry Potter…” Voldemort whispered.


“Tom.” Harry replied and saw Voldemort’s face retort in anger.


“Never call me that name!” Voldemort screamed out at him.


“Why? It is your name isn’t it? Didn't it come from your muggle father?” Harry asked without expecting an answer. He raised his voice a little, “Quirrell you did know your master is half-blood, did you not?”


“What are these lies he’s talking about master?” Quirrell whimpered out. The anger from Voldemort was hurting Quirrell.


“Doesn’t matter.” Voldemort hissed out. “Ignore them.” then he turned his attention to Harry. “You dare mock me Potter?”


“How is it mocking when you're telling the truth?” Harry asked. “I never quite worked that out.”


“TELL ME WHERE THE STONE IS!” Voldemort demanded. Looking upon Voldemort's angry face, Harry couldn't help but feel a little fearful. This was one of the world's most powerful wizards. His next words dispelled that fear.


“No,” Harry slowly said.


The time for talk was over.


“SEIZE HIM!” Voldemort ordered and Quirrell started waving his wand without hesitation. Without his wand, Harry had little choice but to body check Quirrel in an attempt to interrupt the spell. The sound of a wand clattering to the ground a moment later, as Quirrell lost his grip, went largely unheard.

Not expecting Harry's rash reaction, Quirrell had reflexively grabbed onto Harry as the air rapidly escaped from his lungs. From there, Quirrell started screaming in pain as one of his hands was latched onto Harry's exposed forearm. Harry himself felt hot knives stabbing viciously in his scar, and he struggled repeatedly to strengthen his Occlumency shields through the pain induced haze. He was largely unsuccessful, they were as strong as he could make them already. As soon as the pain came, itdisappeared just as quickly when Quirrell released him. Left to deal with the aftershocks of pain, Harry had to bite back a small hint of satisfaction upon seeing his tormentor's expression of shock. Quirrell was horrified to see his hand disintegrate into dust.


“Master I cannot touch him” Quirrell moaned.


“THEN KILL HIM AND BE DONE WITH IT!” Voldemort screamed out. Harry and Quirrell both turned to look at the wand lying nearby. A moment passed before they both leaped into action. Quirrell managed to reach the wand first, but the wand wasn't Harry's intent. Before Quirrel could cast the killing curse, Harry had grabbed onto Quirrell's face. The stuttering professor started screaming in pain again as his face turned into ash before the rest of his body followed. Harry watched in mute fascination as a ghostly figure of a face that could only be Voldemort floated up from the body.


“Harry Potter!” he screamed as he flew up the stairs and away from Hogwarts.


‘Well at least I didn’t fall unconsciousness this time.’ Harry thought as he looked around. Harry suddenly heard hurried footsteps and looked behind him to see Professor Dumbledore rushing down the stairs to meet him.


“Harry, are you okay?” the aged Headmaster asked in concern.


“Never better, Albus, never better.” Harry replied. “Sorry about not explaining about the fake note. Kind of slipped my mind.”


Dumbledore waved his had at the apology. “Never mind that now Harry. I guess everything is okay then?” He asked.


“Stone is safe and sound and still in the mirror.” Harry replied.


“Good good.” Dumbledore said. “I'm afraid I have to send you to the hospital wing, Harry.Madam Pomfrey would be quite upset with me if I let you walk away without a health check. On the bright side, your friends are already there. And another spot of good news, Ron is awake now if you wanted to know.”


“Thanks,” Harry said. All of a sudden Harry felt dizzy and he had to stabilise himself before falling over.


“Harry?” Dumbledore asked concerned.


Harry looked at Albus and smiled. “I'm okay. Nothing to worry…” However Harry didn’t manage to finish the sentence as blackness engulfed his vision.
Reviews 545
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear