Search:

SIYE Time:20:37 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Erasing The Future
By Moxterminator

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 545
Summary: Harry goes back in time to redo his Hogwarts years after losing the war, his family, and his wife, Ginny Potter, to Voldemort. Changes need to be made, but can all changes be good? Years 1-4
Hitcount: Story Total: 396259; Chapter Total: 8920
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Heya, i know i said i was stopping. but hey i dont think you lot will moan if i post this no?




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Over the next couple of weeks Harry concentrated fully on Ginny, causing his grades to become almost non-existent. This caused Hermione to get on his back even more...which annoyed Harry to no end. At least the Polyjuice Potion was cutting up her free time that she otherwise spent trying to get Harry to try harder. It was half finished, yet they needed to get some ingredients out of Snape’s personal cupboard. This part Harry wasn’t going to enjoy.


Ginny got more and more worried as the potion came together. No matter how hard Harry tried, he couldn’t get Ginny to forget about the potion. No matter how many times Harry told her that Malfoy couldn’t possible know anything, Ginny was still convinced that they were going to find out it was her and Hermione was going to hate her.


In the second week of December at the end of one of her Transfiguration lessons to the second years, Professor McGonagall announced that she was starting to collect names of those people that wanted to stay at the school over Christmas. Not many people signed their names down and neither did Harry. He had other plans for him and Ginny. However, Hermione threw a spanner into those plans about two days after this announcement.


Harry, Ginny, Ron and Neville were all sitting down for dinner in the Great Hall. Hermione had gone to speak to Professor Flitwick about their latest charms assignment. She had come back smiling as though she had full marks on the essay.


“Well, I just saw Professor McGonagall,” Hermione said, helping herself to some dinner. “I managed to put all our names down to stay for the holidays. Therefore, we don’t have to worry about that. I also heard that Malfoy is staying for Christmas too, which is somewhat suspicious. I hope he isn’t planning any more attacks during the holidays. That would be dreadful.”


Harry grew angry with Hermione in an instant. They weren’t getting on very well at the moment. Hermione’s constant nagging of him to try harder was becoming a daily occurrence. “And what if we didn’t want to stay?” Harry asked, failing to keep the annoyance and anger out of his voice.


“Of course you do. You want to find out it’s Malfoy don’t you?” Hermione asked. “The Polyjuice potion will be ready sometime during the holidays. Then we get to ask Malfoy questions and find out if it’s him.”


“I’m sorry Hermione but me and Ginny are going home for the holidays,” Harry said, causing Ginny to look up from her bowl.


“But what about Malfoy? Don’t you care that he’s attacking muggleborn students?!” Hermione raged at him. “Maybe I’ll be attacked next. Will you care if I was?”


“Don’t even go there Hermione. Of course I’ll care if you get hurt,” Harry replied. “But me and Ginny are going home for Christmas. We want to go home.”


“And I won’t be here for Christmas Day either,” Neville said. “I’ve got something to do.”


“But what if the potion is ready on Christmas day?!” Hermione demanded. “What was the point of us doing the Polyjuice potion if you three don’t care enough to stay for it? I went home last time but I’m staying. I think Malfoy attacking students is far more important then anything you three have.”


Harry couldn’t believe what Hermione just said. “Me and Ginny are going home no matter what you say Hermione,” he told her. “You’ll have to interrogate Malfoy without us.”


“And I’m visiting my parents on Christmas Day,” Neville said and Ginny and Ron suddenly understood. “If the potion is ready on any other day then I’ll be here to take it with you.”


“But if it’s ready on Christmas day? What then? Why can’t you just visit your parents at Easter?” Hermione said. “This is far more important.”


Harry suddenly realised that Hermione didn’t know about Neville’s parents. She wasn’t there at Harry’s birthday when the others found out. “Hermione, Neville’s parents are in the hospital, in the long term ward for the incurable.”


Hermione looked shocked and turned to Neville. “I didn’t know.”


“It’s okay Hermione,” Neville said. “Harry, Ginny and Ron found out during the summer holidays at Harry’s birthday party. From there on, I took the stance that everyone knew now. I forgot that you couldn’t have known.”


“I’m sorry Neville,” Hermione said.


“Don’t be,” Neville said. “I don’t want people to feel sorry for me. This is why I don’t go spreading it about.”


“Of course,” Hermione said. “But this doesn’t explain why you two need to go home?”


“Well… me and Ginny just want to go home for the holidays,” Harry said.


“Fine. See if I care,” Hermione said getting up. “I’ll see you in Potions.”


“It’s okay,” Ginny said, smiling and getting up also. “We’ll stay for Christmas. Apparently it’s brilliant here at Christmas time.”


“Wait up,” Harry said hurrying to finish his breakfast before Ginny left. “I want to talk to you about something.” Harry told her after stuffing the last piece of toast in his mouth. “I’ll see you two in Potions,” he addressed Ron and Neville before following Ginny out of the Great Hall.


“So what is it like here at Christmas?” Ginny asked him.


“It’s good,” Harry told her. “But you won’t find out until next year because we’re going home for Christmas.”


“Harry, it’s okay we’ll stay,” Ginny said, but Harry couldn’t help notice her sag a little at those words.


Harry took hold of her hand, stopped them walking and made her turn to face him. “It’s me Ginny. You don’t have to lie,” he said. “Look me in the eye and tell me you don’t want to go home.”


Ginny looked up so that her beautiful chocolate brown eyes stared into the emerald eyes of Harry’s. She stared at them for a minute trying but not succeeding to say what she wanted to say.


“Okay, I want to go home,” Ginny said finally looking down. “But Hermione’s already put our names down to stay.”


“Then we’ll go take our names of the list,” Harry said leading her to McGonagall’s office. McGonagall’s office was up on the seventh floor corridor near the Gryffindor common room. It took them five minutes to get to her office and Harry hoped she had a free lesson. Luck was finally going his way for when Harry and Ginny turned the corner they saw Professor McGonagall coming out of her office.


“”Ms. Weasley, Mr. Potter,” Professor McGonagall said when she noticed them. “May I ask why you too are not heading to your classes?”


“We were coming to see you,” Harry began, “about the Christmas holidays.”


“Mr Potter,” Professor McGonagall said her voice now stern. “Ms. Granger has already informed me of your plans for the holidays. So would you two please head of to your relevant classes?


“But we do NOT wish to stay at Hogwarts. No matter what ‘Ms. Granger’ informed you of,” Harry said. “So could you please take mine and Ginny’s names off the list of students that are staying for Christmas!”


“Firstly that’s five points deducted for you taking that tone with me,” Professor McGonagall said before softening her voice. “And of course if you two wish to go home I will take you names off the list. If that is what you two really want? I’m sorry for not checking with you first.”


“It is,” Harry said.


“Ms Weasley?” McGonagall asked Ginny.


“Yes Professor. We want to go home for Christmas,” Ginny said.


“Very well. And again, I apologise. I’ll see you, Mr Potter, this evening,” Professor McGonagall finished. McGonagall then headed off to her next class.


“So we’re going home for Christmas,” Ginny said. “We’d better write home to Mum and tell her otherwise she won’t be there ready for us when we arrive off the train.”


“Christmas at The Burrow. Going to be good isn’t it?” Harry said to her as they headed to her Herbology class.


“I just want to get away from here,” Ginny muttered. “Not that it’s terrible here.” She hastily added.


“I understand Ginny. After what’s happened I completely understand.” Harry said smiling down at her. “So what are we going to do at home?”


“I don’t know. We’ll properly get homework, which mum will make us do first thing,” Ginny said.


“Decide when we get home?” Harry asked her


“Sound best to me,” Ginny said.


Harry dropped her off at greenhouse one and hurriedly walked back to the castle and down into the dungeons for his afternoon lesson with Snape. Snape wasn’t very happy that Harry was late and what Harry was about to do probably wouldn’t help Snape’s mood.


“That’s ten points from Gryffindor Mr Potter,” Snape sneered. “You seem to be making a habit out of being late to class. Now sit down and try to catch up with the rest of the class.”


Harry walked slowly to the back where he was going to be working with Ron. “Neville thought you could do with a break from Hermione,” Ron said once Harry had gotten out his potions ingredients. “Not that I’m prying but why are you late? You and Ginny left pretty early?”


Harry thought for a moment about what Ron had just said. ‘Not that I’m prying…’ If he wasn’t prying then why was he asking? Harry thought. “If you’re asking then you’re obviously prying.”


“You don’t have to tell me,” Ron added. “I was just curious.”


“Me and Ginny went and took our names off the list of people staying over Christmas,” Harry told him.


“Hermione’s not going to like that,” Ron said as he turned up the heat a little bit on there cauldron.


“I don’t actually care at the moment,” Harry muttered, throwing in some puffer fish eyes into his solution.


“Poor Potter,” Snape said ten minutes later, eyeing his and Ron’s solution. “Not your usual standards. And that is a pretty low mark to begin with.” Snape sneered before heading off towards Neville, drawing what look an awful lot like a zero on his parchment. Harry caught Hermione’s eye and she nodded.


Groaning, knowing that he was doing this with Snape just behind him he took out a Filibuster Firework he had borrowed from Fred and George and tapped the end with his wand. The firework sparked into life, and knowing that he had only a couple of seconds before it went off, he took aim and flung it in the air towards Malfoy’s cauldron.


Harry watched as the firework landed perfectly into Malfoy’s cauldron. It exploded showering the people in the front row with Swelling Solution. The room was sent into a panic. People watching horror-struck as body parts started to swell up.


“SILENCE!” roared Snape. “Anyone who has been splashed, come to the front for a Deflating Draft. When I find the person responsible for this…”


Harry tried to not to look guilty as Snape never took his gaze off him. Whilst everyone was around Snape’s desk waiting to be administered the antidote, Hermione sneaked back in, the ingredients they needed hidden under her top.


When everyone had been given the antidote, Snape swept over to Malfoy’s cauldron and took out the remains of the firework which Harry threw. The whole class stayed deadly quiet.


“If I ever find out who threw this, I will make sure that person is expelled!” Snape said quietly, his eyes boring into Harry’s. “Get back to work.”


Ten minutes latter and not soon enough, Harry thought, the bell sounded indicating the end of the lesson and therefore allowing Harry to escape the dungeon and the constant gaze of Snape. They waited for Ginny to come from her class before heading towards Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom.


“You got it all right then?” Ginny asked as Hermione dropped the ingredients into their cauldron.


“Yeah. Luckily,” Ron said.


“Snape knew it was me,” Harry told them.


“Just be glad he can’t do anything about it,” Neville said.


“I wish I believed that,” Harry replied. “I really do.”


-oOoOoOo-

As the week passed Ginny wasn’t getting much better. They hadn’t managed to get to the Room of Requirement since the first time they went and Ginny was slowly becoming more and more depressed. Harry couldn’t wait for the holidays to start to be able to get her away from the constant talk of the Chamber of Secrets.


Harry, Ron, Neville and Hermione was walking back through the Entrance Hall one afternoon after a rather boring History of Magic lesson. Ginny was waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs. Harry noticed that her arms were crossed over her chest and her eyes kept leaping about, searching.


‘Probably making sure that no one was trying to hurt her,’ Harry thought, as they got nearer. Harry was glad that no one else could notice Ginny’s un-easiness. Harry didn’t know and didn’t want to know what would happen if they ever found out about Ginny.


“Hey Gin,” Harry said greeting her.


“Hey,” Ginny said looking up at Harry, smiling a very rare genuine smile.


“What’s going on over there?” Hermione asked as she noticed a large group of people around the notice board, looking excited.


“I don’t know,” Ginny answered. “I tried going over there to look but there were too many people and I couldn’t find out anything.”


Just then, Seamus Finnegan walked out of the crowd and over to them. “They’re starting a duelling club!” he said excitedly. “First meeting is tonight. Might come in handy one of these days, you know, with what is going on.”


“You reckon Slytherin’s monster can duel?” Ron said, laughing as he walked over and read the sign over the heads of the other people inspecting the parchment that was pinned to the notice board.


“I suppose not.” Seamus said. “But the person who’s controlling the monster or letting the monster loose…I mean we can duel them can’t we. See if we can stop them setting the monster on us.”


“But you’re not Muggleborn,” Harry said. “The Heir of Slytherin is only after Muggleborns. You heard Professor Binns last month. The Chamber of Secrets was built to get rid of people that apparently don’t belong here. Which in Slytherin’s view are Muggleborns. You’re not in any danger.


“True,” Seamus said. “But it couldn’t hurt could it. Maybe help some Muggleborns if we ever come across the attacker.”


Harry couldn’t see any flaw in that logic and neither could the others so at eight o‘clock the five of them joined most of the school in the great hall to attend the first lesson. The four house tables and the heads table were all pushed back against the far wall and in the middle of the Great Hall was a long golden stage with thousand of candles floating above it lighting the area. It looked like most of the school was here. Ginny looked slightly nervous and Harry just gave her a warming smile of encouragement which she returned.


“Who do you think will be teaching us?” Hermione asked as they made there way into the room. “I heard Flitwick was a duelling champion and of course Dumbledore is one of the most prolific duellers around. I suppose there’s a chance he could be teaching us.”


“As long as it’s not Lockhart,” Ron muttered.


“Sorry to burst your bubble Ron.” Neville said. “But that looks a lot like an idiot walking onto a stage which means its Lockhart as he’s the only idiot teacher we have.”


“Wow Nev,” Harry said looking at the youngest Longbottom.


“What?” Neville asked confused.


“Putting aside that sarcastic comments are my thing and not yours that was a very good insult,” Harry replied.


“I was only speaking the truth,” Neville said.


“What about Snape?” Ginny asked.


“He’s a nasty teacher. A rubbish teacher. But he’s not an idiot,” Harry said. “Speak of the devil and he shall arise.” Harry added as Snape walked up onto the stage following Lockhart.


“The two worst teachers in the school,” Ron said. “Just great.”


“Lockhart is not rubbish,” Hermione said but her rant was cut short by Lockhart.


“Gather ‘round, Gather ‘round,” Lockhart said standing in the middle of the stage. “Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me?”


“Unfortunately,” Harry muttered to Ginny and she sniggered slightly, earning a scowl from Hermione directed at the both of them.


“Now, Dumbledore has given me permission to start this little duelling club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves. As I have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works,” Lockhart said, his massive shiny smile never dropping.


“Don’t you just wish you could curse that smile off his face?” Harry whispered to Ginny.


“Why don’t you?” Ginny whispered back. “I mean everyone thinks you’re rubbish at magic. No-one will suspect that it was you.”


“Don’t tempt me,” Harry replied.


“Let me introduce my assistant Professor Snape,” Lockhart said. “He tells me that he knows a little bit about duelling and was very kind to agree to help me with a short demonstration. Don’t worry I’ll have your potions master back to you with no harm done, not to worry.”


“Would be good if they finished each other off,” Ron muttered, causing Neville to laugh quietly. Lockhart and Snape bowed to each other then raised there wands like swords in front of them.


“As you can see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position,” Lockhart said addressing the way he and Snape now stood. “On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course. One — Two — Three!


Snape swung his wand up high above his shoulder crying out “Expelliarmus!” a flash of scarlet light came shooting out of Snape’s wand and crashed into Lockhart. Lockhart was sent soaring into the air and smashed into the far wall. Whatever his detest of Snape, Harry couldn’t stop feeling happy for what he had just done.


“Do you think he’s alright?” Hermione said standing on tiptoe to see if she could find out herself.


“Who cares?” Harry, Ginny, Ron and Neville said together at once.


“Well there you have it,” Lockhart was saying after getting unsteadily to his feet. “That was the disarming spell. As you can see, I’ve lost my wand. Thank you Ms Brown.” Lockhart added as Lavender handed him his wand, causing her to blush excitedly. “That was an excellent idea to show them that Professor Snape but if you don’t mind me saying, it was very obvious and if I wanted to stop you it would have been all too easy. However, I thought it would be educational to let them see. However, I think that’s enough demonstration for now. I’m going to come around and sort you into pairs. Professor Snape if you would like to help me?”


Unfortunately, just like last time Snape got to them before Lockhart did. “Time to split up the dream team I think.” Snape sneered down at them. “Longbottom, let’s partner you with Goyle shall we. Weasley… The male Weasley, lets try Crabbe. You Miss Granger can partner Miss Bulstrode.”


Harry moved ever closer to Ginny. He wasn’t going to let Snape partner her up with some Slytherin. “I don’t think so Potter. Mr Malfoy, Lets see if Mr Potter’s talk has any clout behind it,” Snape sneered. “Maybe now you’ll wish that you didn’t taunt one of my students Potter. Always trying to take on people too big for you. Just like your father. Rather then running, he decided to duel Voldemort. He could of fled you know. He could have survived if he wasn’t dumb enough to try to take on the Dark Lord. Maybe you’ll learn an important lesson from this. Although you are your father’s son. So I very much doubt it. And last Miss Weasley why don’t we have you try out with Miss Parkinson.”


However rather than walking towards Malfoy Harry stayed right near Ginny. “I’m partnering Ginny this evening,” Harry said barely above a whisper. “Don’t even try to break us apart.”


“You will do as you’re told Potter,” Snape hissed out. “Or you’ll be leaving.”


“Fine,” Harry said turning to Ginny. “Come on Gin. What could Professor Lockhart teach us anyway. He’s a fraud.” And they started to walk towards the door.


“Nice to know you don’t have any actions to back up that mouth of yours which you’re always threatening Malfoy with,” Snape sneered.


“I’m not scared of Malfoy,” Harry hissed out turning back to face Snape. The whole hall had gone quiet to hear this. Many people had learnt about the continuing hatred between Harry and Malfoy and were interested to see where this would lead.


“Well, to me you’re walking out of the door when faced with Malfoy. If that doesn’t shout out scared I don’t know what does,” Snape sneered again. “You’ve just got a big mouth with no actions to back it up. Unless of course you are going to come back it up?” Snape said nodding towards the centre stage.


“Harry,” Ginny said quietly and Harry turned to face her. “Please shut Malfoy and Snape up. It would be nice of them to be quiet for once.”


Groaning Harry looked towards the stage and then at Malfoy, and then at Snape. It was tempting, it was really tempting. However, how was he going to win without giving away that he was good at magic. Eyeing the stage and then eyeing Malfoy a smirk formed across Harry’s face has he thought up the perfect plan to not only hide his abilities but also humiliate Malfoy in the process.


“Fine,” Harry said, causing a surprised look to cross both Snape’s and Malfoy’s faces. They were obviously not expecting Harry to agree. Walking past everyone whispering Harry walked across the hall and jumped up onto the stage. “Anytime Malfoy.”


Malfoy who had still had a surprised look on his face suddenly came to his senses and he too stepped onto the stage. “Time to go down Potter,” Malfoy sneered as Professor Lockhart came onto the stage a bit nervously.


“You are just Disarming your opponents,” Lockhart said as Snape came up behind Malfoy and leaned down to whisper something in his ear. He was obviously telling Malfoy the spell to conjure the snake. Harry really didn’t care. It wasn’t as if he was going to talk to it this time.


Once Snape had drawn away from Malfoy, Lockhart cleared his throat looking even more nervous than Harry thought possible. The crowd was eagerly awaiting the duel, desperately wanting to know the outcome of the mock battle. Ginny, Ron, Hermione and Neville had come to the edge of the stage looking on anxiously.


“On three you will cast to disarm your opponent. Disarm Only!” Lockhart warned giving both Malfoy and Harry a stare. “One… Two… THREE!”


Malfoy had started on the count of two and Harry had been anticipating this as he easily sidestepped the curse that Malfoy had shot at him. Turning to look at Malfoy, Harry just smiled and patiently waited for Malfoy to throw another spell at him. Malfoy frowned a little before sending the curse at Harry again which Harry once again side stepped.


“God Malfoy. You can’t even hit me when I’m not doing anything, you’re pathetic Malfoy. You probably couldn’t even hit a giant if he was standing still with that aim,” Harry said goading Malfoy.


Malfoy already incensed at Harry avoiding his spells grew angrier and started throwing all different kind of spells at Harry.


“I said disarm only!” Lockhart shouted but Malfoy didn’t listen as he threw a continuous line of spells at Harry. Harry simply dodged by moving to the side or ducking. Enjoying himself Harry decided to entice Malfoy a little bit more by yawning.


“You know if you don’t hit me soon we’re going to be here all night,” Harry said taking another dig at Malfoy, causing the Gryffindors in the room to burst out laughing.


Malfoy, getting angrier by the second paused to look at Harry. Malfoy gave a quick glance at Snape before raising his wand. Harry knew what was coming, even before Malfoy shouted “SERPENSORTIA”. There was a loud bang as a black snake came out of Malfoy’s wand.


There was a screams from the crowd as Snape lazily walked forward. “Don’t move Potter,” Snape said. “I’ll get rid of it.”


“Allow me!” Lockhart said has he waved his wand at the snake. There was a loud bang as the snake through fifty feet up into the air and then landed back down now hissing angrily. The snake now enraged dived straight towards the nearest person to it. Unfortunately, that person was Ginny.


Harry seeing what the snake was doing quickly flicked his wand towards the snake and bright yellow spark dashed out of his wand and landed just between the snake and Ginny. The snake faltered, stopping just short of Ginny. Hissing even more angry the snake raised it self up ready to strike her.


Seeing no other choice Harry acted. “Leave her alone,” Harry hissed out to the snake. “Don’t you even think about touching her!” The hall had gone deathly silent as the snake paused and turned its head towards Harry.


“You are a speaker!” the snake hissed at him and Harry could tell it was female by the voice.


“And you are a snake. This means you need to abide to what a speaker tells you to do!” Harry hissed at her.


“Can I not take one bite?” The snake hissed at him.


“If you try it will be the last thing you do!” Harry said pointing his wand straight at the snake.


“Very well,” the snake said lowering herself. “What is it you wish me to do?”


“Curl up into a ball,” Harry told her and Harry watched as the snake rolled it self up into a ball and then hid its head in its coils.


“You’re no fun,” Harry thought he heard her say but he wasn’t sure. Suddenly the snake burst into flames and disappeared and Harry looked up to see Snape pointing his wand where the snake just was. Snape was giving him an expression of shock and Malfoy was trembling in fear. Harry looked over to Ginny and noticed that she too had fear in her eyes. Why? Harry didn’t know. She knew that he was a Parseltounge.


Harry suddenly jumped off the stage, grabbed Ginny, and walked out of the hall. They were followed by Ron, Neville and Hermione, and surprisingly to Harry, Fred, George and Percy.


No one spoke as Harry led the eight of them along the corridors of Hogwarts. It wasn’t until the group entered the common room and Harry lead Ginny over to the sofa by the fire did he turn to the others.


“You’re a Parseltounge?!” Ron said shocked. “Why didn’t you tell us?”


“Well maybe because most Wizards think that Parseltounge is a sign of a dark wizard,” Harry told them.


“But we’re family,” Percy said surprising Harry. He definitely wasn’t expecting that from him.


“Yeah. Why didn’t you tell us?” Fred asked.


“It’s not like we would have cared,” George said. “We know you’re not evil.”


“We’re your brothers,” Ron said. “Why would you think we would think any different of you?”


“I just…” Harry said overwhelmed. He didn’t know what to say.


“This is bad though,” Hermione said. “We all know that Harry isn’t evil. But everyone else is going to think so.


“Yeah,” Neville agreed. “Everyone’s going to now think Harry is Slytherins great, great grand child or something.”


“But I’m not!” Harry said.


“That will be hard to prove Harry,” Hermione said. “Slytherin lived over a thousand years ago. For all we know. You could be.”


“Yes that’s true. But that also would mean that I’m the one attacking people and I know for definite that’s not me,” Harry said looking at Hermione. “Unless your suggesting I am the one attacking people.”


“Of course not,” Hermione said quickly.


“Whether you are the Heir of Slytherin or not,” Percy said. “That won’t stop everyone else thinking that you are.”


“Well I don’t care what everyone else thinks,” Harry said. “Never have.”


“Then why did you turn back to face Malfoy when Snape was enticing you?” Percy said. “It doesn’t really matter now. It’s happened. But people are going to think you’re the Heir of Slytherin. And you have no proof to disprove it.”


“Don’t need to. As long as Dumbledore believes me,” Harry said.


“Let’s just hope he does,” Percy replied.


Harry noticed that Ginny had stayed quiet through all of this conversation. Harry didn’t know what was wrong with her but he wanted to find out. The way she looked after he had spoken to the snake irked him.


Five minutes later Harry found himself lying awake on his bed waiting for the others to fall asleep. It wasn’t for another hour until he heard the snores of Ron coming through his hangings. Walking silently, Harry crept down to the common where Ginny was sitting by the fire.


Harry walked over to her and knelt down beside her. “Are you going to tell me what’s wrong, Ginny?” Harry asked, taking her hand. “You knew I could speak Parseltounge.”


“I knew that,” Ginny whispered. “But I never knew I could.”


“What do you mean you could?” Harry said frowning.


“I understood you,” Ginny whispered and Harry looked at her in complete shock. “You told the snake to leave me alone. To not even think about harming me. Then you told it to curl up into a ball.”


Harry didn’t believe what he was hearing. How could have Ginny understood him. She wasn’t being possessed by Tom at that moment. He was locked up in Harry’s trunk. How could Ginny understand Parseltounge!


“Ginny… I…” Harry was lost for words. He wasn’t expecting this. He didn’t understand this. “I don’t know. I just don’t know. I mean you didn’t understand it before.”


“Doesn’t mean I don’t know,” Ginny whispered back. Harry brought her down into a hug where Ginny cried silently into his chest.


“Why is this happening to me Harry?” she said tears rolling down her cheek. “Why me?”


“Shhh Ginny,” Harry said trying to comfort her. “It’s going to be alright. Being a Parselmouth is not that bad you know.”


“I didn’t mean it like that,” Ginny said. “It just confirms that I really am attacking people, doesn’t it?” Ginny’s head dropped down and her hands lay in her lap as Harry held her.


“Were,” Harry corrected her. “Were attacking people. Doesn’t mean you will again. I know you won’t. I won’t let that happen.”


“I know Harry,” Ginny said looking up at him. “I trust you.”


-oOoOoOoOo-


Herbology lessons the next day were cancelled due to the continuous snow that Hogwarts was being bombarded with. This meant Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville all sat in the library doing homework for the first period. Harry, doing an essay for Transfiguration, needed a book so he stood up and went to the transfiguration section of the library. Halfway there he overheard a girl talking.


“…I just can’t believe its Potter,” the girl was saying. “He’s hardly good at magic. And he seems nice enough. He has a thing against Malfoy but everyone does. Are we saying he’s evil just because he stands up to him?”


“Hannah,” A boy said which Harry recognised as Ernie Macmillan. “He’s a Parselmouth. Everyone knows that’s a sign of a dark wizard. Have you ever heard of a decent wizard or witch that could talk to snakes? They called Slytherin himself serpent-tongue.” And other people around Ernie murmured in agreement.


“Remember what was written on the wall. Enemies of the heir beware. Filch has a run in with Potter and his cat is attacked. Colin was annoying him with his photos. And then Colin is attacked also,” Ernie said.


“But Harry and Colin sorted that out didn’t they,” Hannah said. “Harry told him why he hated being famous and why he hated his picture being taken and Colin stopped.”


“Do you think the heir of Slytherin would have cared? Potter is good at acting we all know that because he’s been pretending to be rubbish at magic,” Ernie said. “Who knows what other dark art magic Potter has been hiding? And people are thinking that he’s a squib? No one knows how Potter survived the killing curse when he was a baby. I mean, he should have been blasted into nothingness. Only a real powerful dark wizard could have survived that curse. I suppose that’s why You-know-who wanted to kill him in the first place, didn’t want another dark wizard competing against him.”


Clearing his throat Harry decided then was the time to announce his presence. “Hello,” Harry said and the look on the Hufflepuff faces was pure terror. “So… you think I’m attacking Muggleborns? Why? One of my best friends is Muggleborns. Why would I want to attack them?”


Ernie was looking at Harry in pure terror. “Well?” Harry asked him.


“You are probably trying to lull her into a false sense of safety,” Ernie stuttered out.


“Hmm. Now that would be a good plan,” Harry agreed. “If I was attacking people. Now you also mentioned Colin. I’ll tell you what Hannah told you. We sorted that out way before the Quidditch match. And I was in the hospital wing asleep when Colin was attacked. Madam Pomfrey can vouch for me. And you mentioned how no one knows how I survived the killing curse. That I can definitely say you are wrong about that.”


“What, someone knows how you survived it?” Ernie said curiosity getting the better of him.


“Yes. Dumbledore knows. And he told me how. And now I shall tell you to stop you thinking and spreading these rumours about me,” Harry said. “I survived purely because my mother died. When Voldemort attacked my family he was only after one thing. To kill me. He wasn’t after my parents. My father was killed because he tried to duel Voldemort. He could have stepped aside and let Voldemort go after my mum and me and Voldemort would of let him live. But he didn’t. He wanted to give my mum a chance to run for it with me. Give me a chance to get away. When Voldemort killed my dad he went after my mum and me.”


“My mum had run into my room and barricaded the door. But that didn’t stop Voldemort.” Harry said now with a look in his face as almost if he was seeing it happen in front of him at that very moment. “He blew the door off its hinges and walked into the room. Voldemort demanded her to give me to him. Voldemort wasn’t after my mum, he would have let her live if my mum just handed me over. But she didn’t. She loved me too much to do that. So Voldemort killed her.”


“And that act is what saved me,” Harry told them. “The most powerful magic in the whole world is the magic of love. My mum, sacrificing her life to try to save mine, gave me protection from Voldemort. Protection at its strongest. The protection of love. So when Voldemort turned his wand onto me and cast the killing curse on me. My mothers love for me protected me from the curse causing it to rebound onto Voldemort. And that is how I survived that night. There was nothing special about me that night. Nothing about me causing me to survive. It was my mother. The fact that she loved me so much that she put my life above hers. She died out of love to try and save me. And that Ernie is the power of love, the reason why I survived. Magic at its strongest.”


Harry turned away from Ernie to leave him with those thoughts and saw not only Ginny, Ron, Neville and Hermione listening to what he had to say, but also a couple of older Gryffindors, Madam Prince, and Professor McGonagall. Ignoring them all of them he walked back to his desk, sat his book down he got from the shelf and continued to write his essay for McGonagall.


“You never said you actually knew what happened that night and why you survived,” Ginny said sitting down next to him.


“Yeah. It’s funny. But I don’t particularly like talking about it,” Harry said to her.


“I know, I understand. Well as much as I could,” Ginny said. “I meant I understood that you don’t normally like to talk about it. How did Dumbledore find all that out? If you don’t mind me asking anyway” she said as Hermione, Ron and Neville sat back down in their seats.


Harry looked at them to see if they were far enough away not to hear before answering Ginny. “He didn’t. I lied about Dumbledore telling me,” Harry told her and she frowned in confusion. “When I was younger I used to have nightmares about that night. At first, all I heard was my mother screaming. But as I got older I started to hear voices of my mum, dad and Voldemort. I managed to work out what happened that night from the voices, roughly.”


Ginny looked at him in shock. “You never told me.”


“Like I said. It’s not something I openly talk about,” Harry replied.


“Well thank you for trusting me,” Ginny whispered.


“Anytime Gin,” Harry replied smiling at her. “Any time.”


-oOoOoOo-


Harry often heard mutterings following him around in the last three days of term. He didn’t care. It wasn’t like it mattered what the others thought. Harry and Ginny would be going home for the holidays on Monday and Harry couldn’t wait to get Ginny away from Hogwarts and get her home. When she got home, Harry hoped that Ginny allowed herself to properly relax, without having to worry about attacking students.


Fred and George didn’t help making Ginny’s mood any better. Fred and George took it on themselves to follow Harry about jokingly asking whom he was planning to attack next. As Ginny was with Harry most of the time, it caused Ginny to get upset. Harry had to drag Fred and George into a deserted corridor and speak with them privately to make them stop.


“I’m sorry,” Ginny had cried once after Fred and George had gone away to there class. “I’m so sorry Harry. They all think it’s you when it’s really me.”


“I don’t care Ginny,” Harry had replied. “I don’t care if they think it’s me. As long as they think it’s me there’s least chance of them finding out it’s you and that to me is all that matters.”


“I’m so sorry Harry,” Ginny had repeated.


“I don’t care,” Harry said one last time.


The Monday couldn’t come quick enough. Soon Harry’s and Ginny’s trunk were packed and they where waiting by the oak front doors in the snow for the thestral-drawn carriages to take them down to the train.


“Harry.” Ginny said to him causing Harry to turn to face her.


“What if we do our homework on the train home? Then we don’t have to worry about it when we at home,” Ginny said


“That Gin, is a brilliant idea. Get it out of the way. And surprisingly I only have essays to write,” Harry said now smiling.


“So do I but isn’t the automated essay writer packed?” Ginny asked.


“Yes,” Harry told her. “Right at the top of the trunk. Our homework shouldn’t last us five minutes using the essay writer.” Just then the Carriages turned up and Harry and Ginny entered into one. Once they settled down the carriage moved off towards Hogsmeade station. Ginny looked back at the castle to see it slowly vanish around the corner as the carriage led them to the station.


“You don’t think Hermione and the others will find out do you,” Ginny whispered.


“They’re questioning Malfoy,” Harry said. “Malfoy doesn’t know anything. There’s no way on earth they will find out anything. No chance.”


Smiling Ginny settled down next to Harry, leaning against him and closing her eyes. Harry dropped his arm over Ginny’s shoulder, pulling her close to him.


“You don’t know how glad I am to be going home,” Ginny said her voice slightly muffled against Harry’s chest.


“Oh I don’t know,” Harry replied as visions of him and Ginny sitting by a cosy fire in the Burrow playing exploding snap or reading or playing chess. Himself and Ginny skating on the frozen pond, or them building a snowman in the garden. “I think I might have a slight idea how glad you are.”


Ginny snuggled closer to Harry trying to keep warm. “We’ll that’s good then.”


“Yes,” Harry agreed. “Yes it is.”
Reviews 545
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear