Search:

SIYE Time:11:34 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Erasing The Future
By Moxterminator

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 545
Summary: Harry goes back in time to redo his Hogwarts years after losing the war, his family, and his wife, Ginny Potter, to Voldemort. Changes need to be made, but can all changes be good? Years 1-4
Hitcount: Story Total: 396284; Chapter Total: 9183
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Sorry ive been away for a while. I've been having troubles with beta readers. I'm glad to say that that is over. Hope you enjoyed these last two chapters. The next one shouldnt be long afterwards.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: I Do Not Own Harry Potter


Seventeen-year-old Harry Potter raced through the trees, his heart beating so fast that it sounded quite like a hummingbird. He heard Ron and Hermione calling behind him to slow down and wait up. But he couldn’t. Ginny was down there, and he needed to help her. He prayed that she was all right. He prayed that she wasn’t…


Harry shook his head. He couldn’t let that thought into his head. Harry crashed past trees and bushes as they left scrapes on his arms and legs. He didn’t feel them though. He had one mission and one mission only, get to Ginny. Harry turned right at a broken tree stump and started running down a steep hill. He was crashing through the undergrowth as he hurried towards the tracks.


Harry suddenly burst through a set of bushes and found himself down near the tracks. Two Death Eaters were close by and saw him appear. They quickly sent two killing curses his way as Harry threw himself back into the bushes. Using the bushes for cover, Harry waited as the two Death Eaters ran closer towards him. Harry had to get his timing right. Otherwise, not only was his life in peril, but so was Ginny’s.


Harry gripped his wand tightly as he prepared to attack. The crunching of the Death Eaters shoes against the stones and broken twigs told Harry how close they were getting. Harry waited what seemed like a lifetime until they were right next to him and he jumped up out of his cover and quickly threw two stunners at them. Both of the Death Eaters dropped like flies. Harry had attacked too fast for them to even put up a shield. Crouching down low and keeping to the shadows Harry walked closer to the train wreckage. The train was on fire, which allowed Harry to see as it lit up the night sky and its surroundings.


Now Harry was facing a problem. Which carriage was Ginny in? He needed to get her out and fast before she was caught in the fire. He hoped she wasn’t in one of the carriages that were on their sides. Suddenly, there was movement behind him. Harry whipped around, and shot off a stunner before he even realised that it was Ron and Hermione. They managed to duck beneath Harry’s spell but Harry’s stunner only just missed Hermione’s head.


“Do you have any idea what carriage Ginny is in?” Harry asked them hurriedly.


“No, mate,” Ron said. Both he and Hermione were shaking their heads.


“Fine,” Harry said turning back to the train. “We’ll start with this one,” he added pointing to the carriage in front of him. It was one of the carriages that were on their sides and Harry dashed out of the bushes and towards the wreckage, his friends following close behind.


Harry ducked behind it as he reached the carriage trying to keep out of view. Hermione and Ron followed him. They looked around, making sure that no one had seen them, and turned to the broken window. It was just large enough to slide through and Harry quickly climbed into the carriage.


The picture before him was like a scene from a horror movie. Bodies lay everywhere, all dead. Shaking his head and trying not to picture Ginny like his fellow pupils before him now, Harry half walked, half-crouched through the carriage, hoping he wouldn’t spot a red head in the mass before him. When they reached the end of the carriage, they hadn’t found one person alive.


Harry opened the door gently in order not to attract attention and saw about a ten-foot gap between the carriage he was in and the next one. The good news was that the next one hadn’t tipped over. It was still fully on the tracks. Harry looked around and noticed a Death Eater walking his way. He shrank back inside the carriage, hopping against hope that he hadn’t been seen.


The Death Eater continued to walk by and Harry let out a breath, the less he had to fight the better. The main thing was to get to Ginny. Harry looked back out of the carriage, saw that no one was near by, and hurried over to the next one. The door was jammed and he couldn’t open it. Harry turned towards Hermione and hoped that she had a way through.


Luckily for him she did. She cast the counter charm to the Colloportus spell and Harry found the door opened quite freely now.


“They must have thought of that after we used it against them in the department of mysteries,” Hermione muttered as they climbed through.


Harry walked through the carriage as people in compartments stared at him. Harry heard his name being called hundreds of times but he ignored them all. None of them was Ginny. When Harry reached the end of the carriage, he opened the door and stepped through into the next one.


There was a Death Eater in this one. As soon as the Death Eater had heard the door open and saw that it was Harry, he launched an attack. Harry and the other two had to dive into the compartment next to them in order to dodge the killing curse that was thrown their way.


Harry crouched down and looked around the corner just as an indigo curse came streaking at his head. Harry didn’t have any clue what that curse was and he didn’t particularly want to find out.


“What do we do?” Hermione asked.


“We distract him,” Ron said.


“How?” Harry asked. Tactics were what Ron did best.


“I’ll put my head around the corner up high,” Ron said. “Hopefully the Death Eater will throw a curse at me. At the same time you lean around down below. That should allow you to throw a curse while he throws one at me. Hopefully he won’t have enough time to throw up a shield.” Agreeing, Harry bent down low, as Ron got ready to bend around the corner.


“On the count of three,” Ron said. “One, two, THREE!”


Ron put his head around the corner and the Death Eater threw a curse at Ron’s head. Harry at the same time put his head around the bottom and threw a stunner at the Death Eater. Ron’s plan worked like a charm, Harry’s stunner hit the Death Eater square in the chest and made him collapse.


Harry raced towards the body that lay near the Death Eater and saw to his horror that it was Colin Creevey. He quickly checked for a pulse but he couldn’t find any. Colin Creevey was dead. Harry, not wanting to waste anymore time getting to Ginny, stood up and raced along the corridor, he checked every cubical but there was no sign of her. He did see Dean Thomas who lay on the floor supporting his arm and he saw Romilda Vane lying still in one of the compartments. She was face down and Harry couldn’t tell if she was dead or just unconscious.


Harry came to the end of the carriage and opened the door gently, just in case there were Death Eaters on the other side. Harry's caution paid off as two Death Eaters came into view. There were bodies everywhere and Harry instantly recognised the two Death Eaters as they talked.


“Why did Snape send us in here?” The voice of Bellatrix Lestrange said.


“We need to look for survivors,” The other one spoke and Harry recognised the voice of Bellatrix’s husband Rodolphus Lestrange.


“This one has already been checked,” Bellatrix said, sounding impatient.


“I know,” Rodolphus muttered. “But those are our orders. You’ll get your fun later.”


Harry carefully and quietly sneaked through the door and over to the closest compartment, its door already opened, a couple of third year Ravenclaws lay dead. Harry hoped Ginny wasn’t in this compartment. According to the Lestranges, everyone was dead in here. Harry hoped that either that wasn’t the case or Ginny was in another compartment.


“Here,” Rodolphus Lestrange said suddenly as they walked towards them. “Isn’t that a Weasley?” he added peering into the compartment that he was next too.


Harry froze in horror. It couldn’t be. Ginny couldn’t be dead. She just couldn’t be. Bella Lestrange looked through the window. “Well, that is Neville Longbottom. Wasn’t he one of the ones at the department of mysteries with Potter?”


“Yes, Yes,” Rodolphus said eagerly. “And that girl with blond hair was with them, too. Three of Potter’s friends, all dead. Oh the dark lord will be pleased.”


“Bella, Rodolphus!” came Snape's hurried voice. “Aurors are here, quick!”


The Lestranges hurried of out of the carriage and Harry, after making sure they were gone, hurried to Ginny’s compartment. She was lying on the floor, bleeding from two places. Harry flung himself beside her, his knees landing in a pool of Ginny’s blood. She couldn’t be dead. She just couldn’t be. Harry quickly searched for a pulse and couldn’t find one.


“Noooo!” Harry whispered out, tears threatened to full down his cheek. He blinked them back as he continued searching.


Then, miraculously, he found it. It was weak, very weak, but he had found it, Ginny had a pulse. The noise was growing from outside where Aurors were obviously fighting off Death Eaters.


“She isn’t?” Ron said hurriedly, deathly white.


“She’s alive,” Harry said quickly. “I’ve got a pulse, but she needs to get to St Mungo’s, now!”


“Is she alright to Apparate?” Hermione asked.


“She has to be,” Harry said, standing up, holding Ginny to him. “I’ll see you there,” and before they could say anything, Harry Apparated himself and Ginny to St Mungo’s.


-oOoOoOoOo-


Harry awoke with a start. He was dripping with sweat and shaking. He hadn’t dreamt of that night in years. Harry crept out of bed and down the stairs towards the common room. Once he got there, he curled up on the couch by the fire. He didn’t dare shut his eyes. He could see Ginny’s deathly still body in his mind’s eye as it was. He didn’t want to make matters worse by shutting his own eyes. That would just bring the image of Ginny an inch from death to the forefront of his mind. Instead, Harry just gazed into the embers of the fire.


Harry shivered slightly; he looked around for a blanket but didn’t spot one. He shivered again. His sweat made his pyjamas stick to him. He was cold and he was shivering. Harry looked into the embers of the burnt out fire before waving his hand towards it causing the fire to burst into life. Harry immediately felt the warmth coming from the fire and settled down on the couch.


Harry hated having nightmares. He first had them a couple of months when he first came back in time. But they had eventually stopped. Meditating just before he went to bed to clear his mind and helping his magic reserves grow had allowed Harry to get enough magic to erect some basic Occlumency shield walls which stopped him from having nightmares at night.


Tonight was the first night since then that he had failed to get his Occlumency shields up. Harry shook his head as the form of the injured Ginny flashed into his mind. Ginny had been an inch from death when Harry arrived at St Mungo’s that night. He had been so scared of losing her. And he nearly did. Ginny was so severely injured that she stayed in coma for three months, finally waking up in the last week of November. Harry had been there of course. He ate, drank, and slept by her bedside. The only time he left her was to go to the bathroom. Even then, he was reluctant to do so. Neville and Luna weren’t too badly injured. They only had to stay in the hospital for a week.


When Ginny had awoken, on the Thursday morning of the last week of November, Harry had taken her hand whilst she had stared at him in shock. Ginny obviously didn’t expect him to be there. A meow brought Harry back to the present and he looked down to see Sapphire looking up at him questioningly.


“It’s okay, Sapphire,” Harry said gently to the kitten. “I’m okay.” Sapphire reached up and put both of her front paws onto Harry’s knee and Harry stroked her. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about it.” Sapphire meowed once more before turning and going up the girl’s staircase obviously back to Ginny. However not two minutes later Sapphire returned and sleepy form of Ginny followed curiously behind her.


“Harry?” Ginny said gently as she yawned.


“Hey,” Harry said to her, looking into the flames.


“What you doing up?” Ginny said, walking towards him.


“I had a nightmare,” Harry said. “But I’m okay now. Sapphire didn’t need to get you.” Sapphire meowed as she walked over to him and put her two front paws onto his leg again.


“She seems to think she did,” Ginny said, sitting down next to him. “God,” she said when she looked at Harry. “You’re all sweaty.”


“Gee thanks,” Harry said.


“Was your nightmare that bad?” Ginny asked as she took a hold of Harry’s hand. The contact once again allowed Harry to relax a little. Ginny obviously realised this, because she scooted closer to Harry and leant against him. Harry didn’t reply but wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. His nightmare had shaken him up.


“Talk to me Harry,” Ginny said. “I’m worried about you. You’re never like this.”


“It’s just the Dementors Ginny,” Harry said. “They brought back bad memories. Memories I’d rather forget.”


“Like?” Ginny asked gently. She wasn’t pushing him for answers, which Harry was grateful for, but Harry could tell she really wanted to know. But Harry couldn’t tell her though. Not just yet. She wouldn’t understand about him being from the future. The Chamber of Secrets was too fresh in Ginny’s memories.


“About the Dursleys,” Harry lied.


“Who are the Dursleys?” Ginny asked frowning.


“They’re my aunt and uncle,” Harry said. “Muggles, I lived with them before I joined the orphanage. They weren’t very nice people.”


“So bad, that you had a nightmare this bad about them?” Ginny asked, eyebrows raised.


“Yes,” Harry said. “They were that bad. They were horrible people Ginny. As soon as I could walk and talk, they forced me to do chores. I was their slave really. As soon as I was tall enough to reach the sink and stove, I was forced to cook breakfast and wash up. Every day, my aunt would knock on my cupboard door to wake me up and to make me start cooking.”


“Cupboard?” Ginny whispered staring wide eyed at him.


“Yeah,” Harry said. “I slept in the cupboard under the stairs. It was my bedroom. When I wasn’t doing chores, cooking, or going to school, that was where I stayed.”


“You slept in a cupboard?” Ginny hissed.


“It doesn’t matter now Ginny,” Harry said to her, pulling her closer to him. “It’s over. On my sixth birthday my uncle beat me and the next door neighbours…”


“BEAT! YOU!” Ginny hissed at him.


“He only did it the once,” Harry said hurriedly.


“Oh, that’s okay then,” Ginny said angrily and sarcastically to him. “That makes it all better.”


“Anyway,” Harry said quickly. “The next door neighbours heard and called the police. They’re like Aurors. They came and arrested my uncle after they saw him hitting me. I was sent to the orphanage in Ottery St Catchpole.”


“And then you met me,” Ginny said.


“Yup,” Harry said. “The best thing that happened to me.”


“I can’t believe you went through this,” Ginny whispered. “Why didn’t you tell anyone?”


“Dumbledore and Sirius knew,” Harry said. “I told them.”


“So that is what the nightmare was about?” Ginny asked. “Of your uncle hitting you?”


“Yes,” Harry said.


Ginny snuggled closer to Harry. “If you ever have another nightmare, come get me okay?” Ginny said to him. “And don’t even think about saying you don’t need me. As soon as I leant against you, you relaxed, you calmed down. So don’t even try saying you were alright.”


“Okay,” Harry relented. “Okay.”


“Good,” Ginny said, closing her eyes. “Let’s see if we can get some sleep.”


“I’m all sweaty, Ginny,” Harry said.


“I don’t care,” Ginny said, opening her eyes. “I’m not leaving you.”


Harry looked down at the red head in his arms and saw such a determined look that he didn’t even bother arguing. Pulling her closer to him, Harry closed his eyes, Ginny doing the same in his arms.


-oOoOoOoO-


Harry was shaken awake around seven the next morning. He opened his eyes to find Ginny kneeling down next to him. She had obviously woken him up. She was fully clothed and Harry guessed that she had let him sleep while she went and got showered and dressed.


“Hey.” Harry said sleepily.


“Did you have any other nightmares?” Ginny asked Harry as she ran her hand through Harry’s hair. Harry shook his head. “Good. You need to get up and have a shower before anyone finds out you slept down here.”


“Thank you,” Harry said to her.


“Don’t,” Ginny replied. “You would do the same for me. You have done the same for me. So don’t bother.”


“I’ll meet you back down here,” Harry said, standing up.


“Okay,” Ginny said, nodding and Harry walked up the boys’ staircase.


Once Harry had managed to have a shower, and was no longer sweaty or stinky, he walked back down the stairs to the common room where Ginny was waiting for him. She had her bag with her, full of her schoolbooks, ready for the day’s classes. Harry threw his bag next to hers and sat down on the sofa.


“That’s better,” Ginny said, leaning against him.


“What?” Harry asked. “You can use me as a pillow now instead of the actual pillow you’re meant to use?”


“No,” Ginny said. “My pillow isn’t stinky anymore.” Harry tickled her side in retaliation.


“I’ll tickle you back if you don’t stop,” Ginny said warningly.


“And then I’ll just cast the tickling charm on you like yesterday,” Harry replied without missing a beat.


“You wouldn’t,” Ginny said in mock horror.


“If you keep pushing me,” Harry said offhandedly. Ginny sighed.


“Fine,” she said. “No tickling. It’s too early in the morning anyway.”


“Oh and yesterday wasn’t?” Harry said, outraged.


“No,” Ginny said, trying to reel in her laughter.


“How do you work that one out?” Harry asked her.


“Simple,” Ginny said. “I’d been up for half an hour before you and was properly awake then. I’m not at the moment.”


“Oh I see,” Harry said. “It’s only too early in the morning when you’re too tired and afraid you might lose.”


“Well, duh,” Ginny said, rolling her eyes.


Harry and Ginny talked for a while whilst they waited for Ron, Neville and Hermione to join them. They didn’t have to wait too long. Around eight o'clock Hermione came striding down to the common room, her bag filled to the brim with books.


“How many classes are you planning to have today?” Ginny asked when Hermione sat down next to them.


“Well,” Hermione said. “We don’t know what we’re going to have today. We haven’t gotten our timetables yet.”


“We’ll, I hope I don’t have Potions or Charms,” Ginny muttered.


“Same here,” Harry said. “Although we could come back up to get our Potion stuff if needed. I mean, I doubt either of us would care if we missed the first ten minutes with Snape.”


“Harry!” Hermione said, outraged. “You can’t miss lessons. You could get in serious trouble.


“I won’t miss the whole lesson,” Harry said. “Only some of it.”


Ron and Neville came striding down to the common room ten minutes later and the five of them headed down to breakfast, only after Hermione had demanded Harry and Ginny go get all their books though.


When Harry reached the Great Hall, he instantly looked towards the Slytherin table and towards Malfoy expecting him to act out fainting. Yet Malfoy wasn’t. He was just sitting, eating breakfast like normal. Why wasn’t he making fun of Harry? Harry was confused as he sat down at the Gryffindor table.


“What’s wrong?” Ginny asked, sitting next to him.


“Nothing,” Harry muttered. “I just expected Malfoy to tease me about the Dementor but he hasn’t said a word yet.”


“How would Malfoy have found out?” Ginny asked him, confused. Harry turned to look at her. “I mean, only us five know you fainted, and it’s not as if any one of us would go talking about it behind your back. We’re your friends. I definitely wouldn’t. You know that.”


Harry smiled. So that was the reason. Malfoy didn’t know. Neville hadn’t told him because he was their friend this time. Smiling, Harry quietly enjoyed his breakfast, Ginny’s hand slipping into his about halfway through. Harry squeezed it affectionately telling her it was all right and Ginny relaxed, and resumed eating her breakfast. Although, with only one hand now.


McGonagall came round with the third year timetables after breakfast was nearly finished. Harry glanced at it quickly, knowing only too well what he was getting that day.


“We’re starting new subjects today,” Hermione said in a happy voice. “We’ve got Hagrid this afternoon too.”


Ron looked at Hermione’s timetable and frowned. “Hermione, you need a new timetable, they’ve messed yours up.”


“What?” Hermione asked, looking down at her timetable. “No, they haven’t Ron, it’s perfectly fine.


“Perfectly fine?” Ron asked. “Hermione, they have you down for Muggle Studies, Ancient Runes, and Divination all at nine o’clock. Harry what time is your Ancient Runes class?”


“Nine this morning,” Harry said, looking at his timetable.


“But we have Divination at nine,” Ron said, looking at his timetable. “How are you meant to go to all those classes at once?”


“Don’t be silly. I won’t be going to three classes at once,” Hermione said.


“So which one are you going to?” Ron asked. “And what happens when you miss the first lesson of one of your new subjects?”


“I won’t miss a lesson of any of my new subjects,” Hermione said.


“But…” Ron stated, confused.


“I’ve sorted it all out with McGonagall,” Hermione said. “Don’t worry about it.”


Ron huffed before going back to his breakfast. They ate quickly before heading toward their lessons. Harry and Ginny said goodbye to Ron, Neville and Hermione on the third floor. Ginny had Charms and Harry’s Ancient Runes classroom was on the third floor as well. It took them a while, as Ginny had to go collect her Charm textbook, muttering that maybe she should have listened to Hermione and put all of her books in her bag that morning.


Harry arrived just in time for Ancient Runes; Hermione was standing there, waiting for him.


“Where you’ve been?” Hermione asked him as they entered the classroom.


“Ginny needed her Charms book,” Harry muttered as Hermione lead them to a seat near the front.


“I told you that you needed to pack all your books for the first day but did you two listen?” Hermione scolded him.


“I had my Ancient Runes book,” Harry said back. “Don’t go off at me.”


“Then why did you go back to the common room!” Hermione hissed at him, annoyed.


“Because Ginny needed her charms book!” Harry said. “I already told you that.”


“And you needed to go with her because?” Hermione asked.


“Because…” Harry said stuck for an answer, but didn’t need to give her one because thankfully the Ancient Runes professor had just walked in.


“Welcome to Ancient Runes,” the professor said. She was a woman with short curly black hair. She was around five feet four; she was average build, and had blue eyes. “My name is Professor Pagget.” Professor Pagget walked over to her desk that was in front of the class and sat down. “So you have decided to study the art of Ancient Runes. I must admit, out of the four classes you could choose from, this one is the easiest. But that does not mean under any circumstances will I allow slacking in this class.”


“Hands up, who here has ever learnt a different language?” Professor Pagget asked the class. Only two hands went up. One of them Hermione’s, another was a Ravenclaw’s.


“Your name is?” Professor Pagget asked Hermione.


“Hermione,” she answered.


“Hermione, what language did you learn?” Professor Pagget asked her curiously.


“French and Spanish, Professor,” Hermione answered.


“Both?” Professor Pagget asked her.


“Yes Professor,” Hermione said nodding.


“Fluently?” Professor Pagget asked and Hermione nodded.


“Entiende esto?” Professor Pagget asked Hermione.


“Sí Catedrático,” Hermione replied.


“Excellent, excellent,” Professor Pagget said, smiling. “For people who don’t know Spanish, I just asked her if she understood me. She replied using a perfect accent ‘yes professor.’ How are you with reading and writing Miss Granger?”


“I understand it,” Hermione said.


“Then I expect you, my dear, to be near the very top of this class,” Professor Pagget said. “Ancient Runes is just like learning another language, except you don’t have to worry about actually speaking it. It’s just reading and writing. Unfortunately, that’s the hardest part. Now, to all of those in this class now thinking that this class will be a breeze and you won’t have to work hard. Think again. I want one hundred percent from all of you or you are going to fail this class.”


“This year we will be studying, first, goblin runes, moving onto Egyptian when I feel that you have enough of an understanding of the goblin runes,” Professor Pagget said. “So please get your parchment and quill out and copy what I’m about to put on the board.” Professor Pagget waved her wand at the blackboard behind her and weird symbols appeared on the board. Underneath each one was a letter of the alphabet.


“This is the most recent Goblin alphabet.” Professor Pagget explained as quills scratched on parchment. “However, word making in goblin runes is a lot different to modern-day English. Whilst with English you just add the letters of the alphabet together to create a word, goblins have runes that mean entire words instead of just one letter. The only reason they have an alphabet was to accommodate us. We could write our words down as we normally do in English using the alphabet behind me and we could communicate in writing with the goblins. This was back in the fourteen hundreds. Since then, goblins have accommodated the English language and do most things in English, ever since they started running Gringotts in the late sixteen hundreds.”


“Why, then, you may ask, are we learning about goblin runes if even the goblins themselves use English now,” Professor Pagget said. “Well, for one, its part of the class curriculum so you don’t really have a choice. And for a second reason, runes are very often used in protective charms. Whether that is in a locket you are wearing at the precise moment, or in the protective wards around Hogwarts itself. All protective charms on objects have a small rune, sometimes not even visible to the naked eye, which helps keep the magic that is used to keep the protection strong. Understanding the goblin runes will help you understand exactly how it protects an object and sometimes even, what it is protecting. This is why most curse breakers have a thorough understanding of this subject.”


“Once you have written down the alphabet, I would like you all to read the first chapter of your book Ancient Runes Made Easy,” Professor Pagget announced. “Do not worry; this class isn’t going to be boring and just reading out of textbooks. However, you do need to have some basic understanding before we move on to the more interesting things.”


The rest of the class was spent reading the introductory chapter. Hermione, who had as usual, read her text book over the summer, started on a small exercise. When the bell rang, Harry headed off along the corridors. Hermione said she would catch up with Harry because she wanted to talk to Professor Pagget.


As Ancient Runes that morning was a double lesson, Harry headed down a flight of stairs keeping an eye out for Ginny who had just had Transfiguration. Harry spotted her just as he rounded the stairs into the great hall. She was leaning against the wall, obviously looking out for him. Harry started walking over to her and Ginny smiled when she noticed him.


“How were your lessons?” Harry asked her as they started walking towards the great oak doors and down onto the grounds.


“Fine,” Ginny said but with a frown on her face.


“What’s wrong?” Harry asked.


“Nothing’s wrong,” Ginny said cryptically.


“Come on Ginny,” Harry said, taking a hold of her hand. “It’s me you’re talking to.”


“I was good,” Ginny said, thinking. “I mean really good. In both Charms and Transfiguration.”


“So what’s wrong?” Harry asked, confused.


“Harry,” Ginny said as if he was missing something. “I’ve never been top of the class. I’ve always been bottom of the class. I’ve always had trouble getting spells. You know that. You taught me for nearly two whole terms. You know how slow I’ve been picking up spells. And now suddenly, I’m great at spells. I find them easy to pick up. What if… What if it’s something to do with Tom?”


Harry gave her a confused look. “Tom’s gone you know that.”


“Then how do you explain that I’m suddenly top of the class in both Transfiguration and Charms,” Ginny said, stopping by some trees and turned to look at Harry. Harry could tell that she was worried.


“Because you’re good at magic,” Harry said gently to her, wrapping his arms around her waist.


“No I’m not,” Ginny said. “You had to teach me remember. I couldn’t do the bat bogey hex…”


“After Christmas, no,” Harry said, cutting her off. “But before you actually went to Hogwarts you could. Remember the train ride last year where you cursed Malfoy. I don’t think it's Tom that’s making you good at magic. He’s gone. There is no Tom left inside you. He’s completely gone. I think that what’s making you so good at magic now IS the fact that Tom’s gone.”


“I don’t get what you mean,” Ginny muttered.


“I reckon, Ginny,” Harry said, “that Tom was weakening you, drawing your magic out of you when you were writing to him so it would be easier for him to possess you, and harder for you to resist. It’s not because of Tom that you’re strong now, it’s because of Tom that you were weak then. Didn’t you realise that the longer you didn’t have Tom, the more powerful you were getting?”


“So Tom was weakening me?” Ginny muttered.


“I reckon so,” Harry said, nodding.


“That means I’m really good at magic,” Ginny said in awe. “I mean, I was the first out of both classes to get a hold of the spell.”


“That’s good Ginny,” Harry said. smiling. “That’s a good thing.” Ginny smiled before wrapping her own arms around Harry’s neck and giving him a strong loving hug. When they pulled apart, Ginny was smiling her beautiful smile.


“Thank you Harry,” Ginny said. “I knew telling you this was the right thing to do. You always know what to say.”


“I’m psychic you see,” Harry said as they started to head back to the castle.


“Are not,” Ginny retorted.


“Am too,” Harry retaliated.


“Are not,” Ginny said


“Am too,” “Harry said back.


“You are not psychic,” Ginny said.


“Think something up in your head and I’ll be able to tell you what you’re thinking,” Harry said smirking.


“Fine,” Ginny said, “But no cheating. No reading my thoughts.”


Harry looked at her, confused. “But that’s what being psychic is!” he moaned out. “To be able to read someone’s thoughts!”


“Don’t care,” Ginny said. “You said last year that someone else’s thoughts were private and that you would never read mine again.”


“But doesn’t that prove to you that I’m psychic?” Harry asked, confused. “The fact that I read your mind last year?”


“No,” Ginny said.


“Why not?” Harry asked, confused.


“Cause I said so that’s why,” Ginny said. “Now either prove to me that you’re psychic or admit that I’m right.”


“How can I prove to you that I’m psychic if I’m not allowed to use my psychic abilities?” Harry asked.


“I’m sure you’ll think of something,” Ginny said, smiling at him.


‘Girls!’ Harry thought shaking his head. ‘Even if you’re married to one, they can still drive you insane.’


-oOoOoOoOo-


Harry, Ron, Neville, and Hermione made their way up to double Transfiguration whilst Ginny slouched down to the dungeons to double Potions. Ginny had said that double Potions on the first day of class should be illegal before separating herself from the others. Harry whole-heartedly agreed with her. Neville seemed to be a bit down while they walked to Transfiguration, but no matter what Harry said to him, Neville didn’t speak.


Professor McGonagall greeted them as they took their seats, Harry and the others sitting in the middle row. Hermione always wanted to sit in front of every class, apart from Potions, whilst Harry, Ron, and Neville, always wanted to sit in the back row. So, as a compromise, they all decided to sit in the middle row.


When the class settled down, rather quickly as Professor McGonagall wasn’t the type of professor to keep waiting, she started to lecture them about Animagi. Harry pretended to listen but knew all about Animagi, with Sirius being one, his dad, and unfortunately Peter Pettigrew. The rest of the class didn’t seem to be paying much attention either, and no one clapped, apart from Harry, who stopped after a couple of seconds, when McGonagall turned herself into a cat.


“Well,” McGonagall said, turning back into herself. “May I ask what’s wrong with you all? That’s the first time you haven’t clapped at one of my transformations. What’s wrong?”


“Please, Professor,” Hermione said. “We just had Divination and we were…”


“Stop there, Miss Granger,” McGonagall said, gently holding up her hand. “I understand now. Which one of you will be dying this year then?”


The whole class looked around in shock before Neville slowly raised his hand. So that was what was bugging Neville. Harry wasn’t in the class for the old fraud to predict his death so she was predicting Neville’s instead.


“Mr Longbottom,” McGonagall said, addressing him. “You should know that every year in the first class of third years, Professor Trelawney always sets the class to do tea leaves and every time she predicts a students death. Not a single one of those students has died yet. In fact, I believe you know Charlie Weasley. She predicted his death, and currently he is working with dragons out in Romania, healthy and alive. So excuse me if I don’t let you off doing your homework. However, if by some miracle you do actually die before Wednesday morning, you will not have to hand it in.”


“Thanks, Professor,” Neville said.


“Not at all, Mr Longbottom,” Professor McGonagall said, nodding. “Now, back to Animagi.”


When double Transfiguration ended, Harry and the others headed downstairs to lunch where they met Ginny. Harry lazily plonked himself down next to her, who instantly grabbed a hold of Harry’s hand. Harry wondered what the others would say if they ever found out that he and Ginny were holding hands under the table every meal.


“How was Potions?” Harry asked her.


How do you think?” Ginny responded. “Snape is still his old horrible self. I was lucky not to get a detention. Got twenty points taken of Gryffindor though.”


“Twenty?” Harry asked her. “What did you do?”


“Nothing!” Ginny said and Harry raised his eyebrows at her. He didn’t believe her. Ginny sighed before continuing. “I may have, you know, set Snape’s robes on fire.” The four of them stared at her.


“It was an accident!” Ginny said defending herself. “Honest!”


“Cool,” Ron said smiling.


“It wasn’t cool, Ronald,” Hermione berated him. “Professor Snape could have been seriously hurt.”


“That’s the cool part, Hermione,” Neville said, rolling his eyes.


“Neville! He’s a professor,” Hermione said, outraged.


“A rubbish one though,” Ginny said.


“That’s not the point,” Hermione huffed.


“I’m surprised he didn’t give you detention,” Harry said.


“So am I,” Ginny said agreeing. “What you got after lunch?


“Double Care of Magical Creatures,” Harry said. “You?”


“Double Defence with Remus,” Ginny replied.


“Its Professor Lupin, Ginny,” Hermione berated automatically. Harry saw Ginny’s lips nearly twitch into a grin and he reckoned that Ginny was just doing it on purpose now.


“We need to prank him!” Ginny said to Harry.


“I know,” Harry said. “But not right away. He’ll be expecting it. And he’s good. He might be able to block it. We need to lull him into a false sense of safety then strike.”


“So we wait?” Ginny asked


“We wait,” Harry said nodding causing Ginny to sulk.


“You know I’m no good at waiting,” Ginny muttered.


“Poor you,” Harry said and Ginny poked her tongue out at him. Harry smiled back at her before looking past her to see Seamus reading the daily prophet. On the front page was the picture of Peter Pettigrew.


“Seamus, can I read that quickly?” Harry said right away as soon as he saw the headline. Seamus shrugged and handed him the Daily Prophet and Harry looked at the front page. Ginny gasped as she saw the headline. Harry read the article out aloud for the others.


BREAK IN AT OLLIVANDER’S
PETTIGREW ARMED AND DANGEROUS


Last night Peter Pettigrew broke into Ollivander’s at approximately two o’clock and took with him a dragon heartstring, oak wood wand, twelve inches long. This news has shocked the wizarding community and people have asked many questions of why there were no dementors in Diagon Alley after dark although there are dementors currently stationed at Hogwarts School.


Peter Pettigrew broke out of Azkaban on the morning of July the thirty-first and hasn’t been seen since. It was rumoured that Peter Pettigrew is an Animagi although it wasn’t public knowledge what animal he was. Not until last night. Last night the minister revealed that Peter Pettigrew is indeed an Animagi and his form is that of a rat. Quite fitting for one of Pettigrew’s past.


Fear has now spread at the news of this break in and the minister himself has admitted that he is quite scared about what Pettigrew could do, especially if he can hide as a rat. If, as is to be believed, Pettigrew is hiding out as a rat, then he would be very hard to catch. Even though the minister has said that he has full confidence that the guards of Azkaban will be able to capture him.


This won’t calm the growing panic that has gripped the wizarding world. Peter Pettigrew can do devastating things with a wand. Being a Death Eater, he has the knowledge from famous Death Eaters like the Notts and Lestranges. Fear of a repeat of twelve years ago where he killed thirteen Muggles with one curse and then set up his ex-best mate, Sirius Black, for the fall is in the forefront of everyone’s mind. Especially as it appears the ministry thinks that Pettigrew might target Hogwarts.


Are our children safe at school? Dementors are horrid creatures, and many eyebrows have been raised at the news that Dementors are now guarding the entrances to the Hogwarts grounds were we send our kids. The Minister, for one, is definitely taking criticism for his decision to place the guards of Azkaban near our children. Although, last night’s events will probably help the Minster prove that his decision was the right one to make.


Harry looked up from the newspaper. Ginny had his hand in a vice grip. Pettigrew had a wand. Pettigrew had a wand that suited him. This changed everything. Harry looked to see fear in everyone’s eyes.


“I’ll be okay,” Harry said gently.


“He’s armed, Harry,” Hermione said. “And let’s face it. You’re not that good at magic.”


“He has the Dementors to get past first,” Ron said.


“Think, Ron!” Hermione said. “He got past the Dementors in Azkaban. He’ll be able to get past them now. Especially now he has a wand. You have to be careful, Harry!”


“I will,” Harry said, nodding. The warning bell rang, telling the students that it was time to start heading off to class. Hermione and the others stood up and started to head towards Care of Magical Creatures. Harry and Ginny slowed down a little so that they could talk before Ginny went of to Defence Against the Dark Arts.


“Are you okay?” Harry asked her.


“Me?” Ginny asked. “You’re asking if I’M okay?”


“I know you,” Harry told her gently, stopping her walking and taking a hold of her other hand. “I know you worry about me, a lot.”


“He has a wand, Harry,” Ginny whispered out.


“And so do I,” Harry said. “Not that that matters as you know far too well that I can do magic without a wand too. I am worried, of course. I am cautious. Definitely now he’s armed with a wand that seems to suit him. But I also know that I can defend myself if there was a time when Pettigrew attacked.”


“So you want me to stop worrying about you?” Ginny asked. “I can’t do that, Harry. I care for you too much!”


“I know,” Harry said gently, squeezing her hands affectionately. “Trust me I know. And I don’t expect you to stop worrying about me. But I do expect you to believe that I can take care of myself.”


“I know you can,” Ginny said. “But what if Pettigrew was coming after me and not you. How would you feel?”


Harry sighed. “Probably the same way, even more so given the fact that you can’t defend yourself.”


“Exactly,” Ginny said. “It’s a natural reaction when it comes to someone you care about.”


“I know,” Harry said, pulling her into a hug. “But I promise you, I’ll be safe.”


“That’s all you can do,” Ginny said, pulling back. “I’ll see you at dinner.”


“Of course,” Harry said, squeezing her hands affectionately one more time before heading out of the great hall and onto the grounds to catch up with the others. They were halfway down the lawn when he reached them.


“What is it with you and Ginny?” Neville asked when Harry reached them.


“What are you talking about?” Harry asked, confused getting his book out of his bag, stroking its spine while he was at it.


“Well, that’s the second time today you and Ginny have gone off on your own,” Neville said.


“Your point?” Harry said.


“Well, you love her,” Neville said.


“Yes, you guys know that,” Harry said. “You were there in the hospital wing. What’s your point Neville?”


“Why doesn’t Ginny know you love her?” Neville asked. “Why haven’t you told her yet? I would have thought you would have told her over the summer.”


“I know, I know,” Harry said. “I need to tell her soon. We’re just letting our relationship take its natural course.”


“What are you afraid of, Harry?” Hermione asked. But it wasn’t in her bossy know it all voice. It was one of caring.


“I’m afraid I’m going to lose her.” Harry whispered out.


“Lose her?” Ron asked, “How the bloody hell would you lose her. Stop messing my sister about, Potter.”


“I’m not messing Ginny about, Weasley!” Harry said, anger flooding through him by the fact that Ron used his last name. “And about losing her. I love her, Ron! If our relationship didn’t last not only would the fact that she wouldn’t be my girlfriend hurt but the fact that it would be difficult for us to be friends afterwards would hurt too. I love her! I don’t want to lose her! So we’re taking it slowly and not rushing into things. We want this to work. Both of us do. Otherwise Ginny would be on at me asking why I haven’t kissed her yet!”


Ron looked slightly put out with Harry’s rant but didn’t seem to disapprove, as he didn’t say anything else. When they got to Hagrid’s hut Hagrid himself was waiting for them.


“Hurry up, you lot,” Hagrid said calling them over. “We’ve got an interesting lesson coming up.” Harry and the others started to walk faster as they neared Hagrid’s cabin. “Everyone here? Right, follow me.” Hagrid lead them towards the forbidden forest. They walked around the edge of the forest until they reached an empty paddock. Hagrid climbed in whilst the students gathered around the fence.


“Can everyone open their books to page forty-two please,” Hagrid said as the class started to settle down and Hagrid started to walk away.


“And how exactly are we meant to do that?” came the drawl of Draco Malfoy.


“Eh?” Hagrid said, confused, turning back.


“The… books…” Malfoy said slowly as if he was talking to a four year old. “How… do… we… open… them…?”


“Stroke the spines Malfoy!” Harry called to him showing him his open book. “You’re really dense sometimes.”


“Right you are Harry,” Hagrid said beaming. “Right, be back in a minute.” Hagrid left them alone as he walked deeper into the forest.


“Gosh this place has gone to the dogs,” Malfoy drawled as soon as Hagrid was out of earshot.


“Just because you’re too stupid to realise how to open your book,” Harry retorted.


“How would I know to stroke the spine, Potter,” Malfoy drawled.


“You wouldn’t because you’re dumb,” Harry said, back drawing a laugh from some of the Gryffindors.


“Watch it Potter,” Malfoy said. “I told you on the train. I’ve had enough of your threats. I’m not taking any more jibes from you. So watch your back. Or mostly Weaselette’s.”


“And I told you Malfoy,” Harry said. “You touch her and you’ll pay.”


Malfoy was just about to retort when Lavender Brown went “Oooooooh!”


Harry turned to see Hagrid leading a group of hippogriffs towards them. Hagrid walked towards them smiling as the hippogriffs moved closer.


“Hippogriffs,” Hagrid shouted to them. “Aren’t they beautiful?”


“If you’re ugly you might think so.” Malfoy drawled quietly but Hagrid didn’t hear him.


“So if you would like to come nearer,” Hagrid said and the class slowly edged their way to the paddock fence. “Now the first thing you need to know is never ever insult a hippogriff. As it could be the last thing you do.” Malfoy, as expected, wasn’t listening. Harry didn’t want to the same thing to happen last time though. Hagrid lost his nerves after their first lesson last time because of Malfoy. Harry kept an eye on Malfoy as Hagrid continued with the lesson.


“You always wait for the hippogriff to make the first move. It’s polite to do so,” Hagrid continued. “You walk towards him and bow. Now if the hippogriff bows, you can go pet him. If he doesn’t, you’d better move away quickly because those talons hurt. Now, who wants to go first?”


Everyone looked nervous and Harry could tell that no one particularly wanted to go first. Not even Neville, Ron or Hermione.


“I’ll do it,” Harry said, jumping over the fence,


“Good lad Harry,” Hagrid said, beaming. “Let’s see how you get along with Buckbeak.”


Hagrid went over to the grey hippogriff that was tied to the fence and bowed. Buckbeak bowed back and Hagrid undid his chain and started to walk Buckbeak towards Harry. When they were about ten feet apart, Hagrid stopped with Buckbeak and Buckbeak eyed Harry.


“Now, you bow, Harry,” Hagrid told him. “And try not to blink too much, they don’t like that.” Harry stood still for a moment before slowly bowing to Buckbeak. Buckbeak continue to stare at him and Hagrid got worried.


“Err, move back, quickly move back,” Hagrid said, shooing him away. But Harry didn’t move. He knew Buckbeak was going to take sometime. Sure enough, after a couple of seconds, Buckbeak sank into an unmistakable bow. The Gryffindors burst into applause as Harry started to walk over to Buckbeak and pat him a little.


“You know what, Harry,” Hagrid said. “I reckon he might let you ride him.”


“Oh, that’s okay,” Harry said instantly. He didn’t particularly like flying on the back of hippogriffs. “There’s no need for that.”


“Nonsense,” Hagrid said, coming behind Harry and lifting him up onto the back of Buckbeak. “You’ll enjoy it, you’ve always liked flying.” Hagrid then gave a whack on Buckbeak’s behind and Buckbeak suddenly spread his wings. In one swift movement, Harry and Buckbeak were up in the air. Buckbeak flew once around the paddock like last time before coming back down. Harry hurriedly scrambled off Buckbeak. He hated flying on hippogriffs.


The class clapped as Harry walked a couple of steps away from Buckbeak. He didn’t want Hagrid to make him fly him again. However, this was just the mistake Harry shouldn’t have made because it gave Malfoy the time to stroll up to Buckbeak and bow. Harry watched as Buckbeak bowed back and Malfoy smirked as he went and stroked Buckbeak’s feathers.


“This is so easy,” Malfoy drawled. “You’re not dangerous at all, are you? You…”


“Malfoy!” Harry shouted at him, causing him to stop his sentence. Harry let out a sigh of relief. Finally, something was going right for him.


“What, Potter?” Malfoy drawled back. “Did I nick your ugly hideous hippogriff?”


Harry moved fast as he lunged and pushed Malfoy out of the way. He didn’t want Malfoy injured! He didn’t want Buckbeak to be executed. However, pushing Malfoy out of the way made Harry go in the exact same place Malfoy had been in. The exact position Buckbeak’s talons were heading. Harry screamed out as one of Buckbeak’s talons pierced open his back and slid halfway in. Buckbeak suddenly drew back and Harry screamed out again as the pain became two fold. Harry dropped to the floor, Buckbeak standing still over him. There was a rushing of feet as Hagrid came into view.


“Harry, Harry!” Hagrid said, bending over him. Harry could fell the blood coming out of his open wound. “Were you hurt?”


“Hospital wing!” Harry wheezed.


“Right, yah, of course, hospital wing.” Hagrid said, starting to get nervous and confused. Hagrid picked up Harry and Harry screamed out in pain as the wound opened up a bit more. Hagrid didn’t even tell the class what to do as he ran with Harry towards the castle.


Harry clenched his teeth together to try to stop screaming out from the pain. He was going to kill Malfoy. It took them ten minutes to get to the hospital wing. Harry’s vision was starting to get blurry, obviously from the loss of blood. Hagrid called out for Madam Pomfrey as he laid Harry down on the bed. Madam Pomfrey saw Harry and hurried over to him. Harry’s vision swam again before finally the blackness of unconsciousness overtook him.


-oOoOoOoOo-


Harry opened his eyes sometime later to see the blurry red head of Ginny by his bedside. He could see that she had been crying a bit but obviously not much. Harry tried to reach for his glasses but his back flared up in pain and Harry winced. Ginny’s face shot up as she heard Harry and her hands reached to Harry’s bedside to fetch his glasses. She slipped them onto his face as Ginny’s form became sharper.


“Hey,” Harry said, gently smiling at her. “Where’s the others?


“Dinner,” Ginny said.


“Why aren’t you down there?” Harry asked her.


“Because I wanted to be here when you woke up.” Ginny replied. “Care to tell me what you were thinking?” Harry frowned in confusion. “When you left me to go to Care of Magical Creatures, you said you were going to be careful. I thought you understand how much I didn’t want you hurt.”


“Pettigrew didn’t do this Ginny,” Harry said.


“It doesn’t matter!” Ginny replied. “It doesn’t matter if Pettigrew did this or some wild hippogriff. I told you I couldn’t see you get hurt!”


“Ginny, I’m fine,” Harry said to her, stretching out his hand towards her, which she gladly took. “My back’s still sore but Madam Pomfrey will be able to sort that out.”


“I was so scared,” Ginny whispered.


“Come here,” Harry said, dragging Ginny towards the bed with her hand and Ginny slowly crawled onto the bed, careful not to hurt Harry’s back. Harry slowly and carefully wrapped his arms around her. “I’m okay, Ginny. I’ll be out sometime this evening I bet.”


“Tomorrow morning is more likely.” Ginny muttered. “Do you really see Madam Pomfrey letting you go this evening?”


“Fair point,” Harry said, chuckling and winced slightly as pain shot through his back again.


“I’ll go tell Madam Pomfrey that you’re awake,” Ginny said, sitting up. “Your back still hurts. I saw you wince.”


“Can’t get anything past you,” Harry said, smiling. Ginny smiled back and then leant down and gave Harry a quick kiss on the cheek before going to go get Madam Pomfrey.


She returned with the nursemaid not a minute later. Harry groaned when he saw that Madam Pomfrey and a potion with her.


“I hate those,” Harry muttered.


“Then I suggest, Mr Potter, that you stop getting yourself sent here then,” Madam Pomfrey said, handing him the potion. “I’m sure Miss Weasley can vouch for herself and your friends that they don’t like seeing you here just as much as you don’t like being here.”


“Too right,” Ginny said.


Harry glared at Ginny before downing the potion. “Yuck!” Harry said.


“Maybe next time you’ll think before standing in the way of a hippogriff Mr Potter.” Madam Pomfrey said. “Your back is all fixed up and that potion should stop the pain. You should be completely fine in the morning.”


“I have to stay here?” Harry asked.


“Normally I would say yes but with you Potter you would just sneak out in the middle of the night.” Madam Pomfrey said. “Give the potion an hour to work before leaving. And don’t do too much activity. Sit down at a desk and do homework. Don’t move about too much.”


“Yes, Madam Pomfrey,” Harry said.


“Ms Weasley, make sure he listens to me,” Madam Pomfrey said to Ginny.


“Of course,” Ginny said, nodding and Madam Pomfrey started to walk away.


“So, you’re looking after me again, Nurse Weasley,” Harry said, smirking. “You like playing nursemaid don’t you.”


“Shut it, Potter,” Ginny said. “Before I give you a real injury.”


“You wouldn’t,” Harry said. “You like me too much.”


“Okay, so I wont hurt you but don’t get on the wrong side of me, Potter.” Ginny warned. “You wouldn’t want that.”


“Probably not, no.” Harry smiled at her as he took her hand again. “I like being on the right side of you. It’s much nicer there.”


“Promise me something, Harry,” Ginny said gently.


“What?” Harry asked.


“Promise me you won’t end up here again for at least another two weeks,” Ginny said.


Harry chuckled. “I don’t know that’s pretty long Ginny. How about one week?”


“Week and a half,” Ginny said.


Harry looked at her before smiling. “Fine, a week and a half.”
Reviews 545
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear