Search:

SIYE Time:9:03 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Erasing The Future
By Moxterminator

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 545
Summary: Harry goes back in time to redo his Hogwarts years after losing the war, his family, and his wife, Ginny Potter, to Voldemort. Changes need to be made, but can all changes be good? Years 1-4
Hitcount: Story Total: 396276; Chapter Total: 11039
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
I would like to give credit to one of my beta readers, Firewhisky, for help with Hermione’s explanation about wandless magic. It was one of the most difficult scenes I had to write so far and it was her idea to use the voice box analogy to help explain. (Readon to find out more). I would like to also thank Pablo and Pablo, aka James and Sirius, for also helping me make the Hermione scene make sense.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: I Do Not Own Harry Potter


Harry had never really thought what the consequences would be when he revealed that he could do wandless magic. All he thought at the time was helping Ginny. Now that they had put that incident past them, the full implications were coming to a head. In every lesson, excluding Potions, Harry was berated for holding back and was quite clearly told that he must try his best from now on. Harry, realising that he wouldn’t get away with even holding back one little bit since he had shown off his wandless magic, reluctantly did as he was told and was now top of every class that wasn’t taught by a greasy-haired Potions Master.


Ginny, who, of course, already knew about his wandless abilities, treated Harry just the same after that day. Well, almost the same - being Harry’s girlfriend did have its rewards. Ron took the same action as his sister - leaving out the hugs and kisses, for which Harry was very grateful. Neville, after a couple of days, got used to the fact that Harry was good at magic and had actually started to come to Harry rather than Hermione for help whenever he got stuck. Something that, Harry noticed, upset Hermione a bit. Hermione herself spent all her free time in the library. She hadn’t told anyone why she was spending twice the normal amount of time in the library; which was saying something since the time she normally spent there was a very long time in Harry’s opinion.


None of this escaped the calm and questioning eyes of the headmaster. Albus Dumbledore sat on his chair in his office, patiently waiting for his deputy head to come. Dumbledore, of course, knew that Harry’s performance in class for the past two years had been an act. However, he had never dreamt that Harry could have been this powerful. Wandless magic at the age of thirteen was just unheard of. Of course, Harry wasn’t thirteen. But when it comes to magic, it isn’t just knowledge you need. Magic doesn’t come from books : it comes from your very own magical core. And at the age of thirteen, Harry’s magical core shouldn’t have been this powerful. He himself had been thinking about starting to train Harry, to get him ready for the fight he would need to face in less than two years’ time. In order to do that, they would need to improve his magical core for Harry to kill Voldemort. The past couple of weeks had astonished the aged headmaster. Having lived through two wars, one against Grindelwald, and one against Tom Riddle, that was a rather difficult thing to do.


There was a soft knock on the door and Dumbledore invited his deputy head into his office. He smiled as the head of Harry’s house came into the room, sat down, and waited for Dumbledore to start.


“What have you found out over the past couple of weeks, Minerva?” Dumbledore asked one of his most trusted confidants.

“If you didn’t tell me his age, I would think that Harry was the same age as you,” McGonagall stated. “I haven’t met anyone as skilful and naturally gifted as him. I stand by what I said after my detention with him a couple of weeks ago - he’s someone very special.”


“Indeed,” Dumbledore agreed. “I believe the last person to come through this school who was as talented as Harry was Voldemort. And, if I’m correct, I believe Harry to be more talented than Tom himself was at this age, which, as you should know, is something frightening, wonderful, and unthinkable. Tom didn’t start showing signs of wandless magic until his seventh year. Although that could be because he was trying to hide his abilities just like Harry has. What have his other teachers said?”


“All of them, apart from Severus, agree that his talent is being put to waste; they’ve been very vocal about having him moved up a couple of years,” McGonagall stated.


“I believe Harry wants to stay with his friends and as close as he can get to his new girlfriend,” Dumbledore said with a smile.


“While that is indeed true, it is hampering him staying in the lower year. Surely, having him move up a couple of years would help him?” McGonagall asked.


“I’m not so sure about that,” Dumbledore answered. “You informed me that in your detention with him, he said that he can do all levels of magic, including NEWT level magic. You then tested him and he proved that he was speaking the truth. So moving him up a year or two wouldn’t help. He would still be able to do all the spells. The only thing that would happen is that his friends would be taken away from him. Something, I’m assured, neither you, nor Harry himself, want to happen. Plus, if he graduates from school two years early, what is he meant to do then? Children are not allowed to do magic outside school until they come of age, which is not until they are seventeen. He wouldn’t be able to get a job and he would have to spend a whole year at home doing nothing.”


“But, then, what can we do, Albus?” McGonagall asked.


“What we are doing at the moment,” Dumbledore replied. “Simply give him an advanced curriculum to learn. Once we get through that, maybe let him ask you what he would want to learn. I am quite sure he doesn’t know everything.”


“Very well, Albus,” McGonagall obliged.


“Was there anything else you wish to speak to me about?” Dumbledore asked.


“No,” McGonagall said, then paused, and changed her mind. “Yes, I’m still concerned about Harry’s attitude towards Peter Pettigrew. I have spoken to him on a couple of occasions and he doesn’t seem worried at all. I understand some of that, regarding what he can do with a wand, or more precisely what he can do without one, but Pettigrew is still at large, and Potter doesn’t seem to be frightened of him.”


“Even though I do share you concerns Minerva,” Dumbledore said. “I do understand where Harry is coming from. Are you, yourself, frightened of Peter Pettigrew?”


“Well, no, but -” McGonagall said.


“Can you explain why you are not frightened of him?” Dumbledore asked her. That question made McGonagall stop and think. Dumbledore watched as she thought out her answer.


“I suppose,” McGonagall started, “that the reason why I’m not frightened is that I know I can handle myself. I know if there came a time when Pettigrew and I would come face to face, I would be able to hold my own in a duel. I know he’s dangerous. I know what he can do, twelve years ago proved that. But I have faith in my abilities that I could handle myself.”


“And that,” Dumbledore said, “is the precise reason why Harry is not frightened. He has trust and belief in his abilities to take care of himself - and so do I.

Do not get me wrong, Minerva. Peter Pettigrew is a real and dangerous threat to this school and to Harry. I know that,Harry knows that. But that should not be a reason for us to lose our heads. Remember, the person who keeps their head together when everyone else around them is losing theirs, is the person most likely to survive.”


McGonagall nodded the conversation clearly over. She lifted herself off her seat and gave a sharp nod before turning and leaving Dumbledore alone once again in his office. Dumbledore stretched and rose. Dumbledore extinguished the candle on his desk with a wave of his hand and climbed the golden steps behind his desk that led to his living quarters, his thoughts still on Peter and Harry. Why exactly was Peter after Harry? The obvious answer would be, of course, that Harry had put him in Azkaban, and that may well be the main motivation behind Peter’s escape - but then, surely Peter would have tried something by now? He had tried over the summer to capture Harry, but since then there hadn’t even been a blimp on the radar. Peter had vanished. All those sightings nearby were purely folks being caught up in the hysteria of the news Peter’s escape had made. There had been no solid sightings of Peter at all. How did Peter get food? Where was he staying? Thanks to Sirius, he had all of the secret passages monitored, even ones that Filch hadn’t known about. The Shrieking Shack, that Harry had told them Sirius used when he escaped last time around, was being monitored by Fawkes. Was there anywhere else Peter could stay? He didn’t know of a place, and neither did Sirius or Harry. Was Peter even going to come to Hogwarts? It had been two months since he’d escaped. Something had to happen soon.


Sighing, Dumbledore walked into his living quarters and made himself a drink of tea to soothe himself, something muggles actually got right, and headed over to his sleeping area to have some rest before the morning.


-oOoOoOoOo-


Ron sat at a desk in the common room, homework piled around him. Neville was beside him, working on a Herbology essay while Hermione was off in the library where she had been a lot lately, ever since Harry had shown off his wandless abilities. Harry’s wandless magic had come as a shock to Ron. He couldn’t believe that Harry could do that stuff. He always felt that he, Harry, and Neville were in the same boat when it came to magic. Morgana, how wrong he was. How did Harry learn wandless magic? And why didn’t he let him and Neville in on it? They were his friends. Was he teaching Ginny wandless magic? A sudden image of a wandless Bat-Bogey flew through his head and he shuddered at the thought. Merlin, he hoped not.


Ron wondered how long Harry had been able to do wandless magic for. Did he have to train for years? If that was the case, then that meant his first year was just an act. But then, why would Harry act like that? Why would Harry pretend that he wasn’t good at magic? When that question was asked to him, Harry said that he didn’t want the added attention, something Ron didn’t quite understand since he had a lot of attention from just being the boy who lived. Surely, you couldn’t get more than that.


“What do you think they’re up to?” Neville’s voice came to him and Ron was pulled out of his thoughts.


“Who, what?” Ron asked confused.


“Harry, Ginny and Hermione,” Neville answered. “Harry and Ginny are off Merlin-Knows-Where, doing Merlin-Knows-What, and Hermione is spending all her time in the library. I guess there’s no real confusion about what Harry and Ginny are up to. But what’s Hermione doing? She at least normally spends some of the evening here with us.”


“I don’t particularly want to think what my sister and honorary brother are doing, thanks,” Ron said as an image of Ginny and Harry snuggled together in a broom cupboard sprang to his mind.


“I thought you approved of Harry dating Ginny,” Neville asked, is forehead creased in a frown.


“I do,” Ron said. “Harry’s the only one I would trust with Ginny. But that still doesn’t mean that I want to watch them or think about them snogging. She is my sister.”


“Point taken,” Neville said before turning back to his Transfiguration homework. “I wish Harry was here, he could explain this. I so don’t get it.”


“Don’t you let Hermione hear you say that,” Ron muttered.


“I know,” Neville said. “But Harry explains it better than she does. Hermione just recites from the textbook - like that’s going to help, I’ve already read the textbook! Harry does it slightly differently.”


Ron understood what Neville meant. He himself had asked Harry a couple of times to help him out - when Hermione wasn’t around, of course. Harry was reluctant as first; but soon, whenever Ron, Neville, or Ginny came to him he would always try and help. Ron looked at his watch and noticed that it was five minutes to curfew. Hermione would be back any second. Harry and Ginny, however, were probably having too much - fun - to notice the time.


The common room portrait hole opened at that time and in came Hermione, her bushy hair falling down her back as she carried library books over to their desk. She placed them down and Ron looked at the titles. One look told him that Harry wasn’t going to be pleased.


The book that was on the top of the pile was an old, ancient, red book with golden lettering flaking off its spine. Ron could just make out the title, ‘The theory behind wandless magic.’ The other books held subjects along the similar line.


Neville, who was also looking at Hermione’s choice of leisure reading, commented “Which class set homework about wandless magic?” he asked.


“It’s just a bit of light reading,” Hermione muttered. “Harry and Ginny not back yet?”


“Of course they are,” Neville said. “They’re using Harry’s Invisibility Cloak.” Hermione gave Neville an unimpressed look before glancing at her watch.


“Curfew is in ten minutes,” Hermione said. “I thought myself I was pushing it coming back from the library. I lost track of time or I wouldn’t have cut it so close.”


“Found something interesting then?” Neville said eyeing one of the titles in Hermione’s hands. “You know that Harry won’t like the fact that you’re researching that stuff.”


“Why not?” Hermione asked. “It’s just a bit of light reading.” Ron, who thought that a Quidditch magazine was a bit of light reading, eyed the thickness of the each book in her hands. The thinnest one had to be at least six hundred pages long. The thickest had to over a thousand.


“That is light reading?” Ron asked.


“I’m not reading all of it,” Hermione said. “It’s just various sections I want to read.”


“About wandless magic…” Neville trailed off.


“What Harry doesn’t know won’t hurt him,” Hermione said, “And I did find out some interesting stuff. But of course, if you don’t want to know…”

Ron and Neville shared a look.“Fine Hermione,” Ron said. After all, Hermione would tell them anyway. “What did you find out?”


“Well,” Hermione began as she shifted in her seat and placed the books on the table. “First of all, there has been no records whatsoever of anyone casting spells wandlessly.”


“Are you telling us that there is no such thing as wandless magic?” Neville asked half confused, half amused. “Because if you are, you need to re-check your sources.”


“Of course I’m not telling you that,” Hermione said annoyed. “Harry is the living proof that there is such a thing as wandless magic. Every single witch or wizard, in fact, is a living proof that there is such a thing as wandless magic. Haven’t you ever seen Dumbledore light candles on the teachers’ table with a wave of his hand?”


“Okay” Ron said slowly, even more confused now that Hermione had just contradicted herself.


“Listen,” Hermione said sounding impatient. “Wandless magic is magic done without a wand.”


“We would have never of known that Hermione,” Neville remarked causing Hermione to huff.


“Fine,” Hermione said grabbing up her books. “If you don’t want to know -”


“We do,” Ron said. “Neville’s sorry. Aren’t you?”


“Yes,” Neville said hurriedly, but not in an all-convincing tone. “Of course.”


“You’ve been hanging around Harry too much,” Hermione muttered.


“And you say that as if it’s a bad thing!” Neville said, acting as if he was hurt.


“Fine,” Hermione said. “But listen, I’m only saying this once. Wandless magic is done without a wand, right?”


“Yeah,” Ron said, not getting where Hermione was going with this.


“Well, we’ve all done magic without a wand,” Hermione said. “I mean, when you were younger, accidental magic and that. Neither of you had a wand when you did that.”


Ron thought back to when he did accidental magic when he was younger. According to his parents, when he was a baby, once they had finished feeding him, he himself used to summon the bottle back so he could have some more milk. And he used to do the same with his baby spoon too, although he apparently never managed to get either one in his mouth. But right now, he couldn’t do that. He had no clue how to.


“When I was younger, I never showed signs of magic,” Neville said. “Everyone thought I was a squib until my uncle dropped me out of the top window of the house and I bounced.”


“I remember you telling us that at the welcoming feast of our first year,” Hermione recalled. “And that story explains my point perfectly. In order for you to bounce, you needed to have done some magic, did you not?”


“Hmm, yeah, I suppose so,” Neville said.


“And did you have a wand when you bounced?” Hermione asked.


“Well, no,” Neville said.


“Then you did wandless magic didn’t you?” Hermione said smugly. “Wandless magic is an instinct performed when the wizard's power is either primitive, like children's, and therefore doesn't have any "shape" yet. It just suits unwittingly the person needs. Or in Dumbledore’s and You-know-who’s case, it is the result of their extreme power, control and knowledge of magic that allows them to perform small acts of magic. But that type of wandless magic is will magic, bending the magic to do your own will. Very hard and no wonder why only the two most powerful wizards in the past century could do it.”


“But we have all done wandless magic,” Ron said. “You said so. Neville bouncing and myself summoning the milk bottle.”


“True,” Hermione said. “But that’s accidental magic. Magic you had no control over. When we grew up our bodies got used to the magic, which allowed us to control it. In fact, our body contains it making it almost unfeasible for us to do. But not quite impossible.”


“Wandless spells are supposed to be impossible because they are without a wand. The wand translates the wizard's will into the desired effect. You tell the wand your desired effect through the spell incantations. The wand itself is what forces the magic into the spell.”


“Look at it this way, say the spell is like your voice. And the wand is like your voice box. Without your voice box, it would be impossible for you to speak coherent words. In Dumbledore’s and You-know-who’s case, they can still make small sounds. But they can’t speak. But in Harry’s case, he may not even have a voice box -”


“But he can still speak perfectly,” Neville finished, suddenly getting what Hermione was trying to tell them.


“Exactly,” Hermione said.


“Why can he, though?” Neville asked.


“I have no idea,” Hermione muttered.


-oOoOoOoOo-


Ginny sat in one of the front rows of the defence classroom as Remus wrote down notes on the board for them to copy. They had just had a very interesting lesson about Murtlaps. They were rat-like creatures found in costal areas of Britain, with hair growing on their backs which made them looked like a sea anemones so they were often mistaken as a flower. Murtlaps were edible and when eaten, promoted resistance to curses and jinxes. However, Murtlaps were often known to eat the feet of anyone who accidentally trod on them.


Since the lesson was practically over Ginny had let her thoughts wander to the night before and the walk around the lake she had with Harry. It was very romantic, gazing up at the stars, walking in the moonlight. Ginny knew they really shouldn’t have done it with Peter Pettigrew on the loose, but when it came to Harry, important stuff just flew right out of her head and all she could think about was Harry’s arm draped over her shoulder, or the quick kisses Ginny had snuck in once every thirty seconds.


Ginny sighed as she thought over the past couple of weeks. It was almost as if she was in a dream at first. She couldn’t believe that, finally, after years of waiting, she and Harry were finally together. But Ginny finally got used to it, and she couldn’t believe that Harry and her had been friends for so long. It was almost as if the years they spent as friends was just the warm-up act. That this was what they were meant to have been to each other all along. A cough from the front of the class and Ginny looked up to see Remus looking expectantly at her.


“Well?” Lupin asked and Ginny was utterly confused. Well what? Lupin smiled and chuckled as he shook his head. “Miss Weasley, I suggest that, in future lessons, you pay attention to what is being said rather than drifting your thoughts off to a certain raven-haired third year.” Ginny blushed scarlet as the whole class burst out in laughter. She knew Remus was just teasing her and he didn’t mean anything by it. “My question was, Miss Weasley, what would happen if you ate too many Murtlaps?” Ginny racked her brain, trying to think of the answer but all she could think of was the way her hand fit perfectly into Harry’s hand. How right it felt when he had put his arm around her. Trying to deter a blush that was threatening to over come her face, she spoke.


“I can’t remember, professor,” Ginny muttered.


“Ah,” Lupin said, “Young love; makes us forget the simplest things. You answered this question at the start of the lesson Ginny, so I know you know it. Think.”


Ginny concentrated and tried to think as a vision of Harry bending down to kiss her in the entrance hall this morning before they separated to go to classes came into her mind. Shaking her head, she ignored the memory and tried desperately to remember the answer. Finally, she remembered the time when they had a couple of infestations of these at The Burrow when she was eight and her dad had to get rid of them.


“Your ears would grow purple hair and sometimes it would be impossible to get rid of.” Ginny said.


“Precisely,” Lupin said. “I actually know a woman in Yorkshire that has to shave her ears every morning because when she was a teenager she was bullied a lot so she decided to eat a daily portion of Murtlap to help her against the jinxes and curses. She now wishes that she had paid more attention in class and not day dreaming of her boyfriend, Miss Weasley,” and the class giggled again.


“Sorry professor,” Ginny muttered.


“No harm done, no harm,” Lupin said as the bell rang indicating the end of the lesson. “I want an essay on Murtlaps from everyone to be done in say, one week’s time. That’s all for now. Have a good weekend. Ginny, if you could stay behind a moment?” Ginny slowed down packing up her books and parchment and when the last student left the classroom she put the rest of her stuff in her bag before walking up to Remus.


Remus smiled at her as she reached him. “I hope I didn’t embarrass you too much in front of your peers, Ginny,” he said.


“Of course not,” Ginny said smiling. “I’m not embarrassed by having a boyfriend, professor.”


“Please,” Remus said. “It’s out of school hours now; Remus if you will. And I expect you to pay more attention to your schoolwork in the future rather than on Harry; well, at least during class time.”


“Of course,” Ginny muttered. “Sorry, Remus.”


“Not at all, Ginny,” Remus said. “Harry’s a good lad. You’re lucky to have him. And he’s lucky to have you.”


“Thank you.” Ginny said.


“Now run along to dinner before that overprotective boyfriend of yours wonders where you are,” Remus said and Ginny nodded before leaving the classroom. She headed along the corridor and down a flight of stairs before reaching the entrance hall and turning into crowded great hall with the long rectangular house tables. Ginny walked towards the far end of the hall where the Gryffindor table was and noticed Harry and the others about three quarters of the way down. She walked towards them, noticing that Harry had saved her a seat and promptly sat down next to Harry. Harry turned and smiled at her and Ginny leaned up to give him a quick peck to the lips.


“What did I say about doing that in front of me?” Ron’s voice came to her ears. She was starting to get annoyed with brother with all these comments.


“And what did I say in response?” Ginny said after she had pulled back from Harry.


“I’ve given you my permission but -” Ron said


“Permission?” Ginny said irritated. “Since when do I need your permission to date anyone, Ronald Weasley?”


“He doesn’t mean it,” Harry said taking her hand in his. Ginny felt a slight tingle of happiness as she felt his fingers enclose around her hand before her irritation with her brother came back.


“He does,” Ginny said to Harry. Knowing far too well that Ron did mean it. “What he doesn’t get is that he has no right to give or not to give permission. What he doesn’t get is that no matter what he says, I would date you either way and there’s nothing he can do about it. Besides, he’s too afraid you’d curse him into oblivion,” she added her last sentence with a smirk.


“Oblivion is over doing it, don’t you think Ginny?” Harry asked with a lopsided grin.


“No,” Ginny muttered as she started to pile her plate with food.


“See,” Ron said smugly, “Harry wouldn’t curse me.”


“Oh, I didn’t say that,” Harry said from next to her. “I just said that cursing you into oblivion was overdoing it. Nothing about not cursing you at all.” Ginny’s lips couldn’t help but form into a massive grin as he said those words. Ron look flabbergasted at Harry before turning back to his food without a word. Ginny thought that this comment deserved a reward so she leant over and kissed Harry once more. Ginny had, at first, felt a bit shy initiating kisses. For the first week it was always Harry that kissed her. But soon, Ginny started to relax and had, in fact, started to initiate them more than Harry did. For some reason, which Ginny thought she could guess quite easily, Harry never complained.


“How were your lessons?” Hermione asked when Ginny pulled back.


“Fine, I’m still top of the class in Transfiguration,” Ginny told them shrugging. “And Defence Against The Dark Arts was alright.” Unfortunately, at that very moment she mentioned Defence Against The Dark Arts, Colin Creevey was walking by.


“Defence was a hoot, wasn’t it Ginny?” he asked as he walked by. “Make sure you shave your ears tomorrow morning.” Ginny glared at him as he walked on by to sit with some of his friends.


“Shave your ears?” Harry said from her. “Now why would he say that? I think your ears are cute enough as they are,” He finished, making Ginny feel her cheeks burn a little at that comment, while trying to keep the blush under control.


“It doesn’t matter,” Ginny muttered as she looked back down to her plate. But she suddenly felt a hand under chin forcing her to look back up.


“I don’t care,” Harry said to her. “I want to know why Colin said that.”


“It was just a joke in Defence,” Ginny said. “Forget it.”


“Not until you tell me what the comment was about,” Harry said and Ginny sighed, knowing that Harry wasn’t going to let her get away with not answering.


“I was kind of daydreaming in Defence this afternoon,” Ginny began to explain which caused an outcry of “Ginny!” from Hermione. “And we were studying Murtlaps and Lupin asked me a question. I didn’t hear it because I was, well, daydreaming.”


“About?” asked Harry.


“Last night,” Ginny whispered and Harry laughed out a little. “It’s not funny.”


“Sorry,” Harry said but he didn’t sound like it. “But how does daydreaming of your rather handsome boyfriend -?”


“Bigheaded,” Ginny muttered causing Harry to smirk mid-sentence.


“ -Leads you to having to shave your ears?” Harry asked.


“Well,” Ginny started. “The question was what would happen if you ate too much Murtlap.”


“What does that have to do with shaving your ears?” Ron asked.


“Because Ronald,” Hermione said. “If you eat too much murtlap you would grow purple hair on your ears.”


“But how does that lead you, Ginny, to having to shave?” Harry asked. “You already knew that answer.”


“I did,” Ginny muttered. “But apparently Remus knows someone who got picked on a lot; so she ate Murtlap a lot to help her with the curses and jinxes. Apparently she spent too much time daydreaming about her boyfriend in class to properly learn the side-effects. She now has to shave her ears every morning.” Ron, Neville, and Harry burst out laughing.


“Can you imagine Ginny with purple hair on her ears?” Ron asked.


“You never know,” Neville said. “It could be something Harry finds attractive.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively whilst he said the last sentence.


“Oh, leave her alone,” Harry said putting his arm around Ginny. “Anyway, I prefer red hair, not purple.”


Ginny hit Harry around the head. She knew he was just having a laugh but it was principle all the same.


“Love you,” Harry said.


“Yeah, well,” Ginny said going back to her food. “It’s not that funny.”


“Oh it is,” Neville said. “It is.”


“What homework did you get Ginny?” Hermione asked. “We got loads from Professor Pagget.”


“It’s not too bad,” Harry said.


“We have to decode an entire goblin protection ward and you say it’s not too bad?” Hermione cried astonished. “You have to be careful and make sure you get it right. It’s not as if you did a lot of homework last night. I would have thought that you two learnt your lesson with leaving your homework to the last minute with the episode with the truth sweet.”


Ginny sighed. Even though she knew Hermione was right, the simple thought of spending another night alone with Harry was just far too tempting. Merlin, she was getting in way over her head. She never expected that dating Harry could make her feel so ecstatic. Every time she was alone with Harry it felt like she was on cloud nine. It felt like time itself had just stopped. She didn’t want the time they spent alone to end. Being in love with Harry was something Ginny had managed to get used to over the months when they weren’t dating. However, she definitely wasn’t used to Harry loving her back. All he had to do was touch her to send invisible electric shocks through her body and all rational thought left her. All she could think about was herself, Harry, and being in Harry’s arms… Nothing else mattered in those moments, not school, not even Peter Pettigrew.


“We have all Sunday,” Harry told Hermione.


“You never learn, do you?” Hermione muttered.


“We do,” Harry said. “We won’t use any of my sweets to help us with our homework.”


“You still have some left?” Ginny asked. “Haven’t they gone off yet?”


“They last months,” Harry replied. “But I have thrown away all the truth sweets.”


“Now why would you do a thing like that?” Neville said. “We could have used them on Malfoy.”


“What? And get nightmares after learning that Malfoy practises kissing with his teddy bear or something similar along those lines?” Harry asked sarcastically.


“Fair point,” Neville said with a shudder.


After they had finished their tea, Ginny took Harry’s hand again and Harry led her of towards the big oak doors that led into the ground. She took a quick look to see the sun setting and knew that Harry really shouldn’t be out that late with Peter on the loose. He shouldn’t have been out last night, either. Ginny reluctantly pulled back on Harry’s arm causing him to stop walking and turn to look at her.


“What’s wrong?” Harry asked her.


Ginny looked at the setting sun again. “It’s getting dark. Pettigrew -”


“Come on, Ginny,” Harry said exasperated. “Not you, too. I can take care of myself.”


“I know that,” Ginny said, wondering when Harry was getting this into his head. For someone so powerful, Harry could really be thick sometimes. “But you promised me you’d be careful. Walking around the lake on our own in the dark isn’t smart, Harry.”


“We did it last night,” Harry said and let go of her hands and wrapped his arms around her waist. Having Harry’s arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him, felt so right for Ginny but she couldn’t help but want to kiss him. All thoughts forgotten, she leaned up to give Harry another lingering peck on the lips. Once they broke apart, Harry took her hand started to lead her towards the school grounds. Ginny’s thoughts lingered for a second on the kiss before she realised what Harry was doing.


“No, Harry,” Ginny said pulling back once more. “I’m not risking your life just so that we can have a romantic stroll around the lake. It’s not worth it.”


“Fine,” Harry said sighing; he looked at the front oak doors. “Maybe you’re right. Let’s go do our homework, then” Ginny, holding Harry’s hand like always, let herself be led up the staircase until the seventh floor. Harry started to lead her off towards the common room when Ginny had a shot of brilliance flash through her mind. Grinning, she pulled Harry of along a side corridor and, with a very confused Harry following her, led him along passageway until they came to the familiar Room of Requirement. Ginny let go of Harry’s hand and walked three times past the wall where the hidden entrance was until a door appeared. She grabbed Harry’s hand and pulled him through it.


The two of them found themselves stepping out into the Hogwarts grounds, the door behind them standing where the great oak doors should be. The lush green carpet of grass stretched out before them, Hagrid’s hut, the Quidditch pitch, and most importantly the lake in the background. The stars shone very brightly, more brightly then they would have done normally. A full moon glowed in the sky, lighting the grounds with its light. Ginny took Harry’s hand and leaned up to give him another kiss.


“If we can’t go on the grounds, bring the grounds to us,” Ginny whispered when she pulled back.


“Have I ever said how much I love you?” Harry whispered.


“Countless times,” Ginny whispered back. “But never stop doing so.”


-oOoOoOoOo-


Harry was rudely awakened very early next morning from a rather pleasant dream. He had been dreaming about last night and the walk he and Ginny had around the lake in the Room of Requirement. He sighed in happiness. Finally, after years of waiting, he didn’t have to hide his feelings anymore. Finally, he could tell Ginny how much he loved her and not worry about anything. Harry was shaken once again and a voice came to his ears.


“Get up Harry!” the voice said. It had a trace of irritation in its voice. “Get up!”


“I don’t want to,” Harry mumbled, desperately trying to go back to the land of the slumber where he could continue dreaming about last night.


“It’s five o’clock in the morning,” the voice said, getting mad now, “and it’s your bloody fault that I’m up. Now get up so I can go back to sleep.”


Harry groggily opened his eyes and the scene in front of him swam with different colours. A figure stood next to his bed. Tiredly, Harry reached for his glasses on his bedside table and slipped them onto his face. Ginny’s figure came into sharp view. She was wearing her dressing gown over her pyjamas and her hair was all over the place. Still, she looked beautiful to Harry.


“Morning you,” Harry whispered smiling, and looking over at the clock. One look at the clock though stopped all of Harry’s happiness of being awakened by his wife.


“It’s five thirty in the morning, Ginny!” Harry moaned out. “Let me sleep!”


“I would love to,” Ginny said. “But apparently Wood wants to start Quidditch practise early.”


“There’s early,” Harry muttered, “and then there’s a death wish.”


“Tell me about it,” Ginny said yawning.


“Then why the hell are you up?” Harry asked.


“Apparently,” Ginny said, “Wood is too afraid to wake you up. Afraid you might curse him. Rumor has it, I’m the least likely person for you to curse. So he sent Angelina to wake me up, so that I could wake you up, so that he wouldn’t get cursed.”


“I can’t say I disagree with that logic,” Harry muttered stretching. “Although I could just curse him when I get down to the common room.”


“That’s what I said,” Ginny agreed. “Now get up. I want to go back to sleep.”


“Fine, fine” Harry muttered and slowly dragged himself out of bed.


“Good,” Ginny muttered before turning and heading towards the door and back to her dorm. She stopped at the door, turned around and walked back to Harry. She leaned up and kissed him quickly on the lips.


“Argh,” Ginny muttered after pulling back. “Morning breath.”


“And you brushed your teeth before coming to wake me up?” Harry asked in reply.


“See you in a couple of hours,” Ginny muttered, ignoring the question and headed out of the dormitory and down the steps.


Harry continued his way to the bathroom and had a quick shower to wake him up. He then quickly changed into his Quidditch robes and headed down into the common room where Ginny sat by the fire.


“Where’s the Quidditch team?” Harry asked.


“Heading down to the Quidditch pitch,” Ginny yawned. “They asked me to stay down here to tell you.”


“Sorry,” Harry said as he sat down next to her and draped his arm over her shoulder. Ginny snuggled close to him.


“I guess it’s one of the side-effects of being your girlfriend. I can handle it,” Ginny remarked.


“I’m sure you can,” Harry said. “So, how long until I have to go down to the Quidditch pitch?”


“Apparently right away.” Ginny muttered. “But I just got cosy.” She added as she snuggled closer to Harry.


“Wood is going to be so mad at me,” Harry muttered as he settled down with Ginny.


“Who would you prefer to be mad at you?” Ginny asked. “Wood or me?”


“So,” Harry said. “Snuggling sounds good.”


“Right answer, Potter,” Ginny said as she leaned up to kiss him.


Ten minutes latter Harry walked hand in hand with Ginny down towards the Quidditch pitch. Ginny decided that it just wasn’t worth trying to get back to sleep now and she might as well come down and watch the practise.


When they reached the Quidditch changing rooms, Ginny kissed Harry goodbye before heading towards the stands and Harry walked into the changing rooms. The rest of the team was there, Wood stood by the blackboard, impatiently waiting to start.


“Finally Harry,” Wood said as Harry sat down next to George. “What the hell kept you?”


“I think it was a rather pretty second year, Oliver,” Katie said with a wink.


“It’d better not be!” Fred and George said at the same time.


“It wasn’t,” Harry said. “It was a beautiful second year,” and then he added quickly to Katie. “Beautiful is a better comment than pretty, right?”


“Yes, Harry,” Katie replied laughing.


“OI!” Fred and George yelled together.


“She’s our sister!” Fred protested.


“We don’t want to hear anything like that,” George whined.


“Well,” Harry said, “Would you like it better if I told you instead about the romantic stroll Ginny and I took last night?”


“Alone?” Fred asked angry.


“Or even better,” Harry said, a grin forming on his face, “I could go get Ginny and she can tell you about it. She’s just out in the stands,” Fred and George, who had started to get quite mad, suddenly went quiet.


“No, no,” Fred said. “No need to do that.”


“Can we please get back to Quidditch?” Wood demanded heatedly. “Now, I’ve gone over our training regime and created a whole new program that will hopefully give us the edge over our opponents. I have studied many professional Quidditch games this summer and I reckon we could add some plays into our game that would help us win the trophy back. I want you all to pay attention. This is difficult work but I reckon with lots of training we can pull it off.”


Wood then proceeded to tap his wand on the blackboard and lots of squiggles and lines appeared on a chalked out Quidditch pitch and Wood entered into a long and boring speech about how they were going to improve and what they needed to concentrate on.


“We need to look at our defence,” Wood began. “We know we can score, but stopping them is what we need to concentrate on.”


“We can stop them,” Katie said. “Remember the shut out against Hufflepuff where we won the cup? Or the beating we gave Ravenclaw last year?”


“But what about Slytherin?” Wood countered. “Did we stop them from scoring then? I know we had difficulties that game. That rogue Bludger messed things up for us. But the chances of that happening again -”


“Are zero,” Harry said. “It was a house-elf name Dobby that made it come after me last time. That house-elf is actually now under my employment. I could call him here right now and have him give you a promise not to tamper with the Bludger if you want, Wood.”


“A house-elf nearly kills you,” Alicia asked incredulously, “and then you go and hire it?”


“Dobby’s alright,” Harry said defending his house-elf. “He’s just a little enthusiastic. He goes over the top on certain things. That’s all.”


“Be as it may,” Wood said. “We still need to get new plays. The Slytherin team is still on Nimbus Two-Thousand and Ones, and they outstrip all of ours quite considerably. This means we need to be at the height of our game in order for us to win. So we’re going to practise and practise hard. Now here’s what I had in mind…”


Wood then tapped his wand on the blackboard and the squiggles and Quidditch pitch changed to a different scenario and Wood marched off into another rehearsed speech. It seemed like hours before Harry was brought out of boredom when he heard Ginny’s voice.


“Where the hell are you?” Ginny’s voice said with worry. “You’ve been in there for an hour and a half. Everything is all right isn’t it? Pettigrew -”


“ - Isn’t anywhere near me,” Harry interrupted her. Ginny was obviously using the powers of her ring Harry had given to her last Christmas to be-able to communicate with him with her mind.


“Then what is taking so long?” Ginny asked.


“Wood,” Harry simply replied. “He’s redone our whole training program over the holidays. It’s taking ages for him to explain. And we haven’t even gone out on the pitch yet.”


“Tell him to hurry up before I come in and Bat Bogey Hex him,” Ginny said. “I would like to spend at least some of today with my boyfriend.”


“You and me both,” Harry replied.


“What’s this? You have a boyfriend, Potter? Why the hell wasn’t I told?” Ginny exclaimed.


“Ha-Ha,” Harry replied dead-panned. “Very funny.”


It took Wood another forty-five minutes to explain all of the boards. Finally, after two and a half hours of listening to Wood talk, they grabbed their broomsticks and worked their way out onto the pitch. Ginny was standing on the lowest stand, leaning over.


“About time!” Ginny shouted at them. She then noticed that they where still all in their geared and were carrying their broomsticks. “Haven’t you finished yet?”


“Haven’t even started,” Harry shouted back.


“Bloody hell,” came the voice of Ron.


“Language Ron,” came the predictable voice of Hermione. Then Hermione, Ron, and Neville appeared next to Ginny. They had toast in their hand and gave some to Ginny. She sulkily sat back down and began to eat. Harry mounted his broom and flew up into the air. Harry loved to fly. He hadn’t been on a broom since his birthday. He must remember to fly more often and not just in Quidditch practise, he told himself. Maybe he could take Ginny up to the Room of Requirement this afternoon with some feather weight potions and his Snitch. He was sure Ginny would love it.


After flying around the pitch a couple of times, Wood let the Snitch out and Harry chased after it. He caught it within a minute. He let it go, waited for a couple of minutes to give it a head start, before chasing after it again. Within five minutes, he had caught it again.


They continued to practise for over two hours. The sun was up high in the sky now and when Harry glanced at his watch he noticed the time was ten o’clock. His stomach rumbled with the lack of food and he prayed that the practise would be over soon. Harry finished counting to sixty and chased after the snitch. The Snitch was high up in the air. He shot upwards.


“HARRY!” came Ginny voice suddenly. Harry looked down. But rather than seeing Ginny. He saw a dark deep purple curse streaking its way right at him from the bushes around the stand. Harry acted fast; he performed the Sloth Grip Roll to perfection. The unknown curse whipped its way past Harry just missing him by inches. Harry’s hand burned white hot as it passed into the space where he had been just seconds before. Harry let a sigh of relief.


That relief was short-lived, however, when he heard a scream a couple of feet away from. Harry turned to see the purple unknown curse engulf Alicia. She lost the grip of her broom and with horror, Harry saw her start to fall. Harry dashed after her, but he wasn’t fast enough. With a sickening crack, Alicia slammed into the ground. The purple curse that had engulfed her disappeared and Harry landed next to her. The others flew down to them. Alicia was still unconscious; the purple aura around her that the spell created disappeared.


“What the hell was that?” Wood said.


“Harry!” came Ginny’s shout and Harry turned around to be almost knocked over as Ginny jumped him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face deep into his neck. “What the hell was that?”


“I don’t know,” Harry said pulling back and looking back down to Alicia. “Fred, George, you know the secret passage ways. Get Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore. If the gargoyle doesn’t let you see the Dumbledore tell it I sent you.”


“But -” George started.


“GO! NOW!” Harry shouted at them. They looked at each other before grabbing their brooms and flew off towards the castle.


“Was that Pettigrew -?” Ron asked quietly. Wood, Angelina, and Katie looked at Ron confusedly.


“Do you know of anyone else trying to kill me, Ron?” Harry said. “That curse was aimed at me. If I hadn’t pulled the Sloth Grip Roll -”


“You would be in Alicia’s spot. And you’re the most powerful here.” Ginny said. “If it is Pettigrew who did this, then we need you conscious.”


Harry looked at Ginny, knowing full well that she was right. If this was the work of Pettigrew, he needed to be conscious. Harry bent down and checked over Alicia. She was still breathing, so she was still alive, but Harry had no clue what curse she had been hit with. Plus the sickening crack Harry heard when Alicia hit the floor meant that she had definitely broken some bones, but Madam Pomfrey could mend bones in an instant. It was what the curse she had been hit with that worried Harry.


Harry shivered. It had turned quite cold. Harry undid his Quidditch cloak around himself and placed it over Alicia so that she would stay warm. Harry didn’t know why the temperature was playing up, but it was important for Alicia to stay warm and protected whilst Fred and George went to get help. Harry suddenly heard someone scream and he looked up wondering what the problem was.


Nothing. Everyone stood around him, like usual, Ginny beside him. Who had screamed, then? Harry turned his attention back to Alicia. Harry heard the scream again. Harry looked around and once again, nothing was wrong with anyone else. And then Hermione put her hand to her mouth and pointed behind Harry.


Harry turned and the source of the screaming came into view. The screaming was his mother’s. Gliding towards them with rattling breath, were six Dementors. Harry reacted naturally and went to grab his wand. But he didn’t have it. His wand was in the changing rooms. He needed his wand to cast the Patronus Charm. Harry started to panic. He was the only one who could cast a Patronus Charm, and he didn’t have his wand. What was he going to do? Ginny had whipped out her wand and had pointed it at the Dementors.


“Harry?” she said, horror in her voice. The Dementors were only a couple of meters away.


“Give me your wand!” Harry said quickly. Ginny threw her wand at Harry and he grabbed it and turned to face the Dementors, but it was too late, the Dementors were upon them. With low and rattling breath from the closest Dementor, Harry’s minded fogged over. Harry shook his head, trying to clear his mind, but another Dementor nearby had breathed again and Harry’s vision started to turn dark. Harry tried desperately to stay conscious, but with one more breath from the hooded cloaks, Harry blacked out, leaving the lives of Ginny and his friends in the hands of the sickly dark creatures.
Reviews 545
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear