Search:

SIYE Time:7:31 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Erasing The Future
By Moxterminator

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Extreme Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 545
Summary: Harry goes back in time to redo his Hogwarts years after losing the war, his family, and his wife, Ginny Potter, to Voldemort. Changes need to be made, but can all changes be good? Years 1-4
Hitcount: Story Total: 396273; Chapter Total: 3509
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Here's The Next Chapter




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry lay on the warm grass, breathing heavily. Sweat ran down his face as the burning July summer sun shone down on him. And it was only eight in the morning. He had just run around the grounds of Potter manor. It was part of his summer training to try and get into shape before he went back to school in September. Ideally Harry would prefer to get in shape before September so that he could then start mock battles and only have to concentrate on staying in shape. But Harry knew that he would probably have to continue working hard during September as well. He really did need to have started training for Voldemort before now. He hoped that his laziness wouldn’t come back to haunt him.

Harry sat up as he looked around the grounds; the pool that Sirius had put in last year glinted invitingly in the summer sun. He wondered if Ginny and the others would like to come round that afternoon to relax. He called out for Estelle and the flames of the phoenix heated up the already warm air around him.

“Hello, Harry,” Estelle sang.

“Hey Estelle, would you mind asking Ginny if she and the others would like to come round this afternoon and hang out in the pool?” Harry asked her. Estelle nodded and flamed away to The Burrow as Harry tiredly got up and started to walk towards the house. In the kitchen Jo was baking scones so when he arrived he quickly picked a warm one up off the tray and bit into it.

“Hey!” Jo said turning around and looking at Harry. “You will spoil your breakfast!”

“I’m sure I will be able to make room,” Harry said grinning.

“You’re worse than Ron sometimes,” Jo said shaking her head.

“Really?” Harry asked cocking his head. “Ron?”

“Yeah, okay, maybe not Ron,” Jo said.

“By the way I invited Ginny and the others round this afternoon,” Harry told her.

“So I’m going to have to make more scones,” Jo stated.

“Maybe,” Harry said slowly. There were footsteps coming from the stairs and Jo shook her head.

“Well, your lazy godfather is up,” Jo said.

“Hey don’t moan at me, you are the one who agreed to marry him,” Harry said laughing. “Why, by the way?”

“You know most days I ask that very same question,” Jo joked.

“God, Harry, you stink,” Sirius said walking into the kitchen.

“Thanks,” Harry drawled. “Running will do that to you.”

“It’s good you’ve taken up running,” Jo said.

“Yeah it keeps me fit,” Harry said. “Well, it will once I get fit.”

“Well I’m glad you’re trying to get fit,” Jo said as she eyed Sirius warily as he crept towards the bowl of fruit mix that Jo had been using to make fruit scones.

“I’m glad one of us is,” Harry said getting a glass and walking over to the sink to fetch himself a drink of water.

“Don’t be like that,” Jo said as she brought the wooden spoon she was holding down onto Sirius’s hand as he was just about to pinch some of the fruit mix. Sirius waved his hand as it stung from where Jo had hit it.

“I better get showered and changed,” Harry told her. “Knowing Ron he will want to come use the pool sooner than this afternoon.”

“It’s nice you and Ginny are still managing to be friends,” Jo said as Sirius saw the freshly made scones and quickly grabbed one and took a bite.

Smack. This time Jo wacked the spoon against Sirius’s backside and he nearly chocked on the scone from the hit.

“Now I don’t understand,” Sirius said rubbing his backside. “Whenever I ask you to do that in the bedroom you keep saying no, but you are willing to do it in the kitchen?”

“SIRIUS!” Jo shouted.

“I’ve got to go,” Harry said hurriedly as he left the kitchen. He did not want to listen to Sirius talk about his and Jo’s sex life. That was just gross. After he had showered and re-dressed, Harry sat down at his desk in his bedroom, parchment surrounding him as he had the wizarding wireless on low as he looked over his summer homework.

“It was an interesting first day at the Quidditch World Cup yesterday as the holders Canada surprisingly lost to the outsider Peru, who move onto the next round. Wales won against Jamaica whilst England play USA tomorrow evening.”

Harry tuned out the radio as he looked at the parchment that currently had his half written History of Magic homework for Professor Binns. Whilst Harry didn’t normally do his homework right away during the school holidays, since he was giving Ginny space he decided he might as well get his homework done and then when Ginny wanted to hang out Harry didn’t have anything stopping him. Even though waiting was anxious, he knew he couldn’t rush Ginny, and that it was best to let their relationship mend at a natural pace. Sure he had invited her over that afternoon with the others but he wasn’t sure that she would come. Plus if he invited the others and not her, then he would be in a lot of trouble.

Harry returned to his essay on the goblin rebellion of 1612. The Rebellion was stationed out of Hogsmeade. The Three Broomsticks served as the headquarters of the goblins as they thought against the formation of the Wizengamot and their lack of representation in it.

Harry wiped his forehead as he dipped his quill into his inkwell and continued to write where he had left off. It was tedious work. Without Hermione there to help him it was a poor effort of an essay but still, after three hours of slaving away at his desk, he had finally managed to achieve an acceptable essay to hand in. Sure, he wasn’t going to get top marks but he didn’t mind; there were far more important things to worry about than his History of Magic homework. As long as he handed it in that was good enough for him.

After double checking his essay Harry went down to the kitchen where Jo and Sirius sat enjoying a small lunch. Harry grabbed a plate and sat down at the table whilst helping himself to a couple of fruit scones and butter. Suddenly the fireplace erupted and Ron stepped out of the fireplace.

“Hi,” Ron said smiling, holding a bag obviously full of his swimwear. “Haven’t finished lunch yet?”

“Err, only just started,” Harry said, looking at the clock. “I thought I invited you round after lunch?”

“It is after lunch!” Ron replied.

Suddenly the fireplace erupted again and Ginny walked out of the fireplace.

“I told you to wait, Ron!” Ginny moaned at him. She was wearing a small tank top and denim shorts. She had grown a bit since Harry last saw her a month ago. Either that or her shorts and tank top just emphasised her figure more. The Hogwarts school robes were really not good fashion.

“Hi, Harry,” Ginny said quietly, looking at him.

“Hi,” Harry answered quietly back.

The fireplace lit up again as the twins came through. They looked between Harry and Ginny smiling mischievously. Harry frowned, wondering what they were up to. Ginny must have thought the same thing.

“Whatever you two are planning with me and Harry, forget it,” Ginny scolded them.

“Us?” Fred asked.

“Planning something?” George continued.

“I think you’ve mistaken us for someone else,” Fred finished.

“Please remember that whilst on the grounds, the Ministry of Magic can’t detect underage magic,” Harry told them slowly. “So unless you want Bat Bogeys coming out of your nose I suggest we start heading towards the pool.”

“Oh, but Harry!” Ginny mock- moaned. “I so wanted to curse them.”

“You wanted an excuse to curse them?” Harry asked her.

“Well yes,” Ginny smiled.

“I apologise, Fred, George continue,” Harry said to them. Fred and George took one look at each other before smiling and acting all innocent.

“To the pool then, honorary brother?” George asked.

Harry shook his head as he led the other four to the pool. The July summer sun was now high in the air and the temperature was soaring. Harry unlocked the door and the others stepped into the warmth of outhouse. They quickly got undressed; they were all wearing their swimming costumes underneath, and slid into the pool. Harry got a blow up ball and they spent the next two hours playing water volleyball. Harry, Ron and Ginny were against the twins. There weren’t too sure who won, because they weren’t keeping count, although the twins vehemently claimed that they had scored the most points.

“So what did you reckon of the Canada result?” George asked once they felt too exhausted from playing and decided to blow up the pool chairs and laze around in the summer heat.

“Surprising,” Ron said. “I still don’t get how Peru managed to do that, I listened on the Wireless. Bagman was just as surprised as I was. I don’t think Peru will win it though. It was a one off result. They won’t get that lucky in the next round.”

“You can’t just get lucky against Canada!” Fred argued.

“Well they’re not as good as they were four years ago,” Ginny pointed out.

“Still,” George said. “They’re going to give a good account of themselves I reckon. What about England’s chances tonight? Aren’t you going, Harry? I thought Sirius could get tickets to all the games because of his job.”

“He could,” Harry said. “But he could only get two tickets, so he’s taking Jo.”

“Does that mean you’re finally coming over to ours then?” Ron asked. “You haven’t been round at all this summer.”

“There’s still time, Ron,” Harry said. “Plus I will probably be there the night before the final. We will have to get up early the next day.”

“Why?” Ron asked.

“You haven’t been told?” Harry asked.

“Told what?” George asked.

“Sirius got us all tickets for the final,” Harry told them. “All of us. Your parents agreed to it two days ago. He’s bought a brand new tent as well to fit us all in. The tent’s pitch is right next to the entrance into the forest. We will be the closest campers there.”

“No way!” Ron said, ecstatic. “We’re actually going to the final? I know you said on the train home but I thought it was more of a pipe dream.”

“Top Box as well,” Harry said, smiling. Fred fell off his chair and into the water. He came back up a few seconds later spluttering and shaking his head.

“No way!” George smiled. “Seats at the top box! That’s where the minister sits! And you sure we’re definitely coming?”

“Yeah, Mum and Dad agreed to it weeks ago,” Harry explained.

“I wonder why they haven’t told us yet,” Ginny thought aloud.

“Who cares?” George said. “We need to save up!

“We do indeed, brother of mine,” Fred said while climbing back onto his blow up chair.

“Wow,” Ron muttered. “We actually get to see the Quidditch World Cup final, live.”

“Who do you think will make the final?” Ginny asked.

“Ireland,” Ron said. “I know you can’t be sure about anything in a knockout tournament but they have the best three Chasers on the planet right now. Heck, even if they don’t get the Snitch, with those three Chasers, they will probably still win.”

“That would be an interesting bet,” Fred muttered and Harry and Ginny shared a glance.

“Mum would kill you,” Ginny told them.

“Well, she won’t be happy, but then she doesn’t need to know,” George said thoughtfully.

“It all depends who the opponents are. Bulgaria always has a chance with Krum,” Ron mentioned.

“True little brother, I guess we will have to wait and see,” Fred said.

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur of fun, splashing and occasional relaxation. Around five o’ clock, they got out and dried themselves down before they head back into the bright sunshine and back towards Potter Manor. Ginny and Harry walked a little bit behind Ginny’s brothers so they could speak privately.

“I was wondering if you wanted to come round this evening, Harry,” Ginny said quietly to him as they walked back along the garden.

“I would love to,” Harry said. “To stay the night?”

“You might as well, you have a bedroom there for a reason,” Ginny said shrugging. “Plus I’m not sure how long it’s going to take.”

“How long what is going to take, Ginny?” Harry asked.

“Well, the thing is,” Ginny started. “I haven’t really occluded your memories of the future yet. I mean, seeing all of that once was bad enough, having to organize them again so soon was just too much. I needed to get used to what I learnt. The thing is, without these memories occluded I’ve been having, dreams.”

“Oh Ginny,” Harry said upset at the pain he had caused her with his memories.

“Don’t you dare say you’re sorry,” Ginny hissed at him. “I needed to see those memories. I’m glad I did. I just need to occlude them and then everything will be fine. Don’t you dare feel guilty for telling me the truth.”

“I don’t feel guilty for telling you the truth,” Harry explained. “I just wish you didn’t have to suffer because of it.”

“Well, I’ll be fine,” Ginny explained, “once they are occluded.”

“I’ll do whatever you want,” Harry told her.

“Bark like a dog?” Ginny quipped suddenly and Harry looked at her funny.

“Excuse me?” Harry asked her confused.

“You just said you would do anything I told you,” Ginny said smirking. “Bark like a dog.”

“You are joking,” Harry said laughing.

“Nope,” Ginny said grinning. “Come on Potter, you can’t honestly think I would pass this opportunity up did you?”

“Okay,” Harry said resigned to his fate. “But for your information I’m pretty disappointed that you had an open chance to make me do anything and you simply said bark like a dog.”

“No, you’re right,” Ginny said, thinking. “That’s letting you off too easy; I need to think this through. I’ll get back to you. You don’t have to bark like a dog.”

“Wait no, I think I would prefer to bark,” Harry said, suddenly scared at what Ginny could possibly make him do.

“Too late, Potter,” Ginny said as they got to the back door that led from Potter Manor to the grounds. “I think I could have a lot of fun with this.”

“Oh boy,” Harry sighed.

-oOoOoOoOo-

Mrs. Weasley saw Harry fall out of the fireplace and into the kitchen of The Burrow. She chuckled as she watched him stand and wipe himself down, muttering to himself. He was improving but sadly most times he still ended up sprawled out on the floor. Harry stood up and dusted himself off as he smiled at her.

“Harry!” Mrs. Weasley exclaimed as she rushed over to him. “How dare you spend so much time away from here? You’re family! This is your home just as much as Potter Manor!”

“Nice to see you too, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said as she pulled him into a hug.

“Mrs. Weasley? Whatever happened to ‘Mum’?” Mrs. Weasley asked him. “I know you and Ginny have been having your problems lately but that does not mean that you are not family! Ginny explained that it’s just a small break and you will be back together soon, so you can call me Mum and Arthur Dad just as you used to.”

“Yes, Mum,” Harry replied.

“Mum is it alright that me and Harry go hang out in my room whilst we wait for dinner,” Ginny asked as she put her wet swimming stuff down with the dirty washing.

“Sure it is, sweetheart,” Mrs. Weasley said and Harry and Ginny left Ron and her brothers in the kitchen. Mrs. Weasley turned to her sons.

“Make sure you leave your door open, mind,” one of the twins shouted after them. Mrs. Weasley sent him a glare and George shrank back quietly.

“Did you behave yourselves?” she asked them.

“Of course, Mum,” Fred smiled. Mrs. Weasley watched them interestingly before shooing them off out of the kitchen. She knew that the chances of them behaving were low but she hoped that they at least hadn’t burnt Harry’s house down.

Mrs. Weasley then started to prepare the meal for that evening. She heard laughing from upstairs and her mind wandered back to her youngest and semi-adopted son. When she first got the news that they had started dating she was of two minds. First, she was ecstatic that Harry had admitted his feelings about her daughter and that they had started to date. From what Percy told her in his letter, Harry was treating Ginny well and he had not seen Ginny that happy ever before.

She had briefly wondered if it was too soon for them to start dating. However, she knew that if she tried to forbid them to date then both Harry and Ginny would hold her in contempt for a long time. She wasn’t sure if Ginny would ever forgive her. So she decided to bury those concerns and she was generally happy that her daughter and adopted son were dating.

For months it really seemed from what she knew from Ginny’s letters and what she knew of the two of them, that they had been very lucky to find each other so early. She knew she was getting ahead of herself but she couldn’t help imagine a white wedding once Ginny had graduated. She was sure that Harry and Ginny would last after the years of friendship before they taken it to the next level.

So when she received the news that Ginny had broken up with Harry she was gobsmacked. It was an extra shock that it was Ginny that had called time on their relationship. She racked her mind with worry with what could have possibly happened to cause Ginny to have such a reaction. She was sad that the relationship hadn’t lasted and she had spent the past month since they had been home from school trying to entice Ginny into explaining everything to her. But all Ginny would say was that they were on a break but would get back together when they were ready.

Whilst she was glad that they had patched things up, she wasn’t quite as sure as she was before Ginny broke up with Harry. What caused her to do so? Why did she get so angry at Harry? Did she blame him for Pettigrew capturing her? And what caused her to make a U-turn and suddenly say that she still did love Harry and they were going to get back together in time?

She guessed that all she could do was wait and see how things played out. She just hoped that things would go smoothly for the both of them from now on. She never wanted to see such a defeated and miserable look on her daughter’s face as she had seen after Harry brought her back from Pettigrew ever again.

-oOoOoOoOo-

Harry sat on the end of Ginny’s bed as she leant against the backboard and her pillows. Sapphire, Ginny’s cat, was curled up on Ginny’s lap as she started to go through Harry’s memories and organize them and shut them away behind her Occlumency Shields. Harry’s hand held hers as she slowly and painfully sorted through the painful memories of the deaths of her loved ones. Ginny knew that it was something she must do but it was hard thinking about what had happened. After barricading the memory of the attack on The Burrow behind her shields she whispered a question to Harry that she had been thinking about for the past few weeks.

“How did you handle it?” Ginny asked Harry quietly.

“Sorry?” Harry asked her.

“How did you handle all these memories? You were only six,” Ginny repeated.

“With difficulty,” Harry admitted. “I think the thought of friends like you and Ron managed to get me through the days. I think meeting you guys was the thing that kept me going. Then once we became friends I didn’t have to worry about my future self’s memories, at least not until I returned to Hogwarts. You guys kept me sane and distracted me. It was only when I went to Hogwarts that I had to think about what was to come and what I needed to do.”

“Finding out about the prophecy was hard, I admit,” Harry continued. “I spent days worrying about the person I needed to become, that I needed to become a bad person, a murderer to help the potential friends and lives of everyone. I guess the Durselys helped, they made me feel so worthless. So when I found out that I had to fight a mad man with magic, whilst it scared me, it didn’t make me feel too bad because I thought that if I died, then at least no one would miss me. I almost thought about just staying at the Dursley’s, but after my uncle attacked me the neighbour called the police so it was taken out of my hands.”

“I’m sorry you had to go through that,” Ginny said.

“You helped though,” Harry said smiling. “Being my best friend all these years helped. It helped me get used to the memories. Got me used to what I needed to do next June. It gave me a true reason to fight. Sure, the memories showed that we would be friends, but us being best friends? It truly sunk in what I was fighting for and it changed. I didn’t want to stop Voldemort because I felt I had to. I wanted to stop Voldemort because I simple wanted to protect you, all of you from him. You did that, Ginny. You will never know, even after seeing all my memories, just how important you are to me.”

“I don’t know,” Ginny said quietly. “Until I had you, I was alone. I mean my brothers, why would they want to play with a little girl? Until I had you, I had no one. Then you came along and suddenly I had someone. I wasn’t alone. The fact that you were Harry Potter didn’t even matter to me. Sure when I was younger I had dreams of Harry Potter coming by and sweeping me off my feet, that we would fall in love and live happily ever after and all that. But tell you what, that stupid fantasy; it doesn’t come close to the real thing. Nowhere near. So maybe I have a small idea.”

“Can you promise me one thing?” Ginny asked him.

“Anything,” Harry told her gently.

“Promise me you will do everything you can to make sure you come back to me after the graveyard,” Ginny whispered.

“Everything, Ginny,” Harry told her. “I’ll do everything I can. I want a future with you, a future where neither of us have to worry about a madman coming after us.”

“How’s your training coming along?” Ginny asked him.

“It’s mostly running,” Harry said. “The knowledge of spells I have thanks to my future self. The ability to use them in a fight, I won’t be able to train until I get back to Hogwarts. There I can set up the Room of Requirement to my needs and really start training.”

“The Ministry can’t detect wandless magic, can they?” Ginny asked him.

“No, why?” Harry asked her.

“Teach me,” Ginny told him. “I know you said I needed to do my Occlumency first, but you’ve done everything you can. The rest of it is me constantly sorting my memories each night before going to bed and just re-enforcing my walls. There’s nothing more you can teach me. So why not start on wandless magic?”

Ginny watched as Harry titled his head slightly in thought.

“Do you still love me?” Harry asked her quietly.

“Oh Harry, I’ve told you plenty of times, I just need to get used to everything. I’m getting there. We will get back together eventually you know that,” Ginny said gently.

“No,” Harry said, shaking his head. “You misunderstand me. You see my wandless magic is different to everyone and everything. It’s rare, not known since the age of Merlin. I’m not asking for us to get back together, I agree it’s too soon. But what I need to know is that you still love me, that you aren’t just saying the words to be kind and not to hurt me. You see it’s impossible to do this wandless magic if you aren’t in love with someone. So you need to answer honestly, not just to me, but to yourself as well. Think hard, after everything you learnt these past few weeks, do you truly still love me?”

“With all my heart,” Ginny replied knowing that it was true. Because she did, with all her heart she knew, she truly loved Harry.

“Estelle,” Harry called out and the red and gold phoenix flamed into Ginny’s bedroom. She carried in her talons, an old, very thick, black book with red bindings. Ginny swore she had never seen a book so old before. She watched as Harry took the book from Estelle and laid it gently down on Ginny’s bed between them.

“You need to be really careful with this book. It’s the only one of its kind,” Harry told her gently. “It’s very old and there are no more copies.”

“How old exactly is it?” Ginny asked as she gently lifted the book towards herself.

“No one can truly know, since there are no records of when King Arthur actually took the throne or when Merlin became his Court Wizard,” Harry said and Ginny stared at him blankly.

“Oh,” Harry said realizing that he had left out information. “Merlin wrote that book.”

“Merlin? The Merlin? Wrote this book,” Ginny whispered in awe.

“I’m still glad I can surprise you, even with you knowing all my future memories,” Harry said smiling.

“So this is…” Ginny said awed looking over the book.

“Really old, yes,” Harry said. “And the only one of its kind. Lost to unknown parts until one of my ancestors found it, and hid it in Potter Manor’s Library. Trust me, being nine and finding that book in the library was rather a shock.”

“I’ll say,” Ginny whispered as she gently opened the book.

“Well I’ll leave you to get on with your reading,” Harry said getting of Ginny’s bed. “I know more summer homework isn’t always the best but you did want to learn wandless magic.”

“Believe me,” Ginny said reading the first page. “I don’t think I’ll have a problem if it means constantly hexing the twins and getting away with it.”

“That’s my girl,” Harry smiled.

“Always, Harry,” Ginny said looking back up at him smiling.

-oOoOoOoOo-

Harry shook Ginny awake the next morning. It was still early, the sun had barely risen above the hills and even the rooster hadn’t awakened yet. Harry had found Ginny in bed, the book he had given her the evening before laid open on her bed. She had obviously fallen asleep reading the book and Harry shook his head, knowing that he would find her like this in the morning. Laughing gently, he took a hold of Ginny’s shoulders and shook her awake.

“What time is it?” Ginny asked sleepily as she slowly woke up.

“Five thirty,” Harry told her.

“What!” Ginny said as she shot up. “Do you want a divorce, Potter?”

“A, you know we can’t get one, and B, you wanted to join me in my training didn’t you?” Harry asked smiling.

“I didn’t ask to join you in your running,” Ginny huffed as she lay back down.

“That doesn’t mean you didn’t want to join me,” Harry told her as she lay on her bed.

“That Potter, is beside the point, and I thought you said I wasn’t going to join you in the graveyard,” Ginny said.

“You aren’t,” Harry told her fiercely. “But if last year taught me anything it’s that I should prepare for the worst. And the worst thing that could happen is that I could fail to kill Voldemort! If that happens, a war will break out again and if that happens, you need to know how to protect yourself.”

“So I’m going to join you in your training?” Ginny asked sitting up.

“Yes, so get dressed in something you can run in,” Harry told her. “And meet me downstairs. You’ve got ten minutes.”

Harry chuckled slightly as Ginny grumbled whilst pulling off her bed covers. Harry left the room so she could get dressed and went down into the kitchen where he got two bowls of cereal. Ginny joined him five minutes later.

“Eat up,” Harry said handing her a bowl. “You need energy for running.”

“Tell me again why I wanted to do this?” Ginny asked.

“I don’t know,” Harry replied, “since I can’t read your thoughts anymore because of your Occlumency,” he added jokingly.

“So it’s just running you do?” Ginny asked as she began to eat.

“For now,” Harry said. “We’ll do more when we get back to Hogwarts.” Harry watched Ginny yawn before shaking his head and asking. “So how long did you stay up reading?”

“Not that long,” Ginny said quietly looking at Harry.

“Really?” Harry asked knowingly.

“Just you know, one, two o’ clock,” Ginny mumbled.

“Go back to bed, Ginny,” Harry said sighing. “You’ve only had a couple of hours sleep.”

“No, I’m fine,” Ginny said. “I can have a nap later. By the way, what do you want for your birthday?”

“No idea,” Harry said thinking. “Why?”

“Mum is taking me to Diagon Ally this afternoon,” Ginny explained. “Might as well get your present then. Although Mum did say no more broomsticks.”

“Like we would want anything to replace our Firebolts,” Harry said grinning.

“You know she’s still mad at you for that,” Ginny told him.

“She’ll forgive me,” Harry smiled, “eventually.”

“Maybe,” Ginny grinned. “To be honest I don’t see any reason to be forgiven. After all it’s your job to spoil your wife!”

They finished their breakfast and then headed out of the kitchen door and into the garden of The Burrow. Harry then showed Ginny the stretches she should warm up with before they started to jog of down the path and off out into the woods.

“So how long do you normally jog for in the morning?” Ginny breathed from beside Harry.

“Two hours,” Harry said but quickly added when he saw the look of horror on Ginny’s face. “But today we will just jog for however long you can.”

“No, you need to jog for two hours, just do your normal routine. When I can’t do anymore I’ll get Estelle to bring me back and have a nice cold drink of milk.” Ginny said nodding.

“Way to rub it in, love,” Harry said.

Over the next hour, Harry and Ginny jogged through the woods, past the lake where they went swimming last year and where they went skating the two winters ago. They then joined up on a small country track and followed it down to the Muggle village of Ottery St Catchpole. They jogged pass the orphanage Harry stayed in when he left the Dursleys and through the town village square before they turned and followed the country road along fields and crops before they came to the turning back to The Burrow.

“How are you doing?” Harry asked, breathing slowly trying to get his heart beat to slow down.

“I’ll… be… all… right…” Ginny said between breaths. Sweat covered her body as she bent over her arms on her legs trying to catch her breath. “How… are… you… still… managing... to... stand…?”

“I’ve been doing this every morning since Pettigrew attacked us, remember?” Harry said. “Believe me when I first started I was just like you are now, but in time your body gets used to it and you endurance improves.”

“Good… to… know…” Ginny breathed out.

“Look, there’s the road back to The Burrow,” Harry said pointing at the little lane. “Why don’t you walk down there and back home? That will help with the cooling down whilst I finish my run. Its good anyway, the body needs to stretch after exercise or you will cramp up. Trust me I learnt that the hard way.”

“Yeah, okay,” Ginny said. She had straightened back up and wasn’t so out of breath as before although she was still in need of a rest.

“I’ll see you in a bit,” Harry said as he continued to jog along the road as Ginny slowly walked back to The Burrow. It was another forty minutes before he arrived back at The Burrow himself. Ginny walked out of the kitchen with a glass of water which Harry gulped down as he stretched and cooled down in order to not get cramps.

“So what are you two up to?” Mrs. Weasley asked as she came out of the kitchen behind Ginny.

“Exercise,” Ginny explained. “We just thought it was a good idea to do some running.”

“Well after all that running I expect you’re hungry. Harry, go have a shower, and Ginny go wake your brothers whilst I cook us all a nice big breakfast.” Mrs. Weasley told them.

Harry did as he was told as he dragged his feet to go have a nice cool shower. Once he had washed and changed he met the rest of the Wealseys back downstairs and sat down at the kitchen table. Mrs. Weasley had cooked a big breakfast consisting of sausages, bacon, egg, and beans. Harry ate hungrily as his morning run had already burnt of the bowl of cereal he and Ginny had that morning.

After breakfast Harry and Ginny laid out on the grass, the summer sun burning down on them. Ginny yawned but knew that she needed to stay awake. They watched as Ginny’s brothers played Quidditch in the paddock. They had invited Harry and Ginny to join but both of them waved them away. Ginny was too exhausted after her morning exercise and Harry wanted to spend as much time with Ginny as she allowed him. They were slowly starting to get back into the swing of hanging out again without Harry’s secrets always being between them and making things awkward.

“Enjoy reading last night?” Harry asked her as they relaxed in the heat of the sun. Ginny had her eyes closed and it look liked she was falling asleep.

“Okay so maybe I read a little too much last night,” Ginny yawned sitting up. “But I want to be able to hex my brothers, plus it was an interesting read.”

“You are just excited about doing magic without a wand,” Harry smirked.

“Well, weren’t you when you found the book?” Ginny asked him.

“Yeah, but mostly I thought it could be a good hidden weapon to use against Voldemort,” Harry told her. “Guess I screwed that up didn’t I?”

“A bit, but I’m grateful,” Ginny replied.

“So what are you going to get me this afternoon?” Harry grinned.

“Oh no,” Ginny said shaking her head. “You’ll have to wait until your birthday for that. By the way, you are staying here for that! Mum has told Sirius under no circumstances are you to be anywhere else but here for your birthday.”

“I suppose I’ll just have to be here then, won’t I?” Harry smiled.

“Yes, you will,” Ginny nodded. “Its tradition you celebrate your birthday here. And with the ones you love and who love you!”

“So no clue on what you are getting me?” Harry needled. “Not one?”

“You’ll be getting a bat-bogey-hex in a minute if you don’t stop,” Ginny joked.

“Shutting up,” Harry replied.

“FRED AND GEORGE WEASLEY!” Mrs. Weasley shouted from The Burrow. Harry and Ginny looked over to the house to see Mrs. Weasley striding from the kitchen her face furious. In her hand were bits of parchment.

“What’s going on?” Harry asked Ginny but she shook her head indicating she didn’t know. Harry and Ginny got up and started to follow Mrs. Weasley where she was striding towards the paddock.

“Fred and George Weasley, get your butts down here now!” Mrs. Weasley screeched.

“What’s going on, Mum?” Fred asked as they both landed on the grass.

“WHAT IS THIS!” Mrs. Weasley exploded, waving parchments in the air. “What is Weasley Wizard Wheezes?!”

Harry and Ginny, who had been following Mrs. Weasley towards the paddock swiftly turned around and started to walk back towards the house.

“NO SO FAST YOU TWO!” Mrs Weasley shouted at them and both Harry and Ginny winced.

“What exactly is Weasley Wizard Wheezes?” Mrs Weasley asked them furiously as she read from the parchment and looked between the twins and Harry and Ginny. “What exactly is Tongue Tied Toffees or Canary Creams?”

“Well, Tongue Tied Toffees make your tongue really long, we used them back at Easter to help prank the school,” Fred explained.

“And Canary Creams make you sprout feathers all over your body for a couple of minutes. They are joke sweets.” George continued. “There are also fake wands and lots of other cool stuff.”

“Fake wands?” Mrs. Weasley asked faintly. “This! This is why you only got three O.W.L.s between the two of you? Because you created fake wands? And joke sweets? Do you know how much you are ruining your future? How are fake wands and joke sweets meant to get you jobs in the Ministry? How are they meant to show your future employees how good a job you could do?”

“The Ministry?” Fred asked shocked.

“We’re not going to work for the Ministry,” George continued.

“Yeah we couldn’t give two hoots about working for them,” Fred said.

“We’re going to open up our own Joke shop,” George said defiantly.

“Open your own joke shop, and how do you expect to finance all of…” Mrs. Weasley started but then stopped and looked at Harry. “HARRY JAMES POTTER!”

“Good luck,” Ginny said quietly as Harry winced.

“What is the meaning of this?” Mrs Weasley demanded.

“I’m allowing them to follow their dreams, rather than have them stuck in a boring job they don’t like for the rest of their lives,” Harry said rather daringly.

“What kind of life do you think they could have selling joke sweets?” Mrs. Weasley demanded.

“One where they enjoy their job, where they are happy,” Harry said slowly, “rather than being miserable.”

“And how are they meant to support their families and loved ones!” Mrs. Weasley screeched. “Have you thought of that? Have you two?” she added turning back to the twins. “You really think you can provide for your future families on selling joke sweets? Do you think anyone would want to marry either of you when all you do is sell jokes?”

“If they don’t love us for who we are then they aren’t worth marrying,” Fred said.

“Mum, we aren’t Ministry employees, we never were!” George spoke.

“Plus the Ministry is so backwards and corrupt we don’t want any part of it,” Fred agreed.

“I mean look at Dad, sure he loves his job, but he could do so much more but won’t because he doesn’t suck up and line the Minister’s pockets like most Head of Departments do!” George explained.

“Don’t you dare have a go at your father!” Mrs. Weasley screeched.

“They’re not,” Harry said quietly. “They’re merely pointing out how the corrupt running of the institution is stopping Dad from having the job he deserves. Sure he loves his job, but he deserves so much more. We all know that. And it’s the people running the Ministry that is stopping him purely because he loves all things Muggle.”

“Why would we want to work for people like that, who don’t appreciate the job Dad can do?” George asked.

“We wouldn’t, we love making people laugh, to bring joy to people,” Fred asked. “Why can’t we do that?”

“You can’t truly expect to make a living out of this!” Mrs. Weasley shouted.

“Believe me they can and most likely will,” Harry told her, “and if I’m right, they will make a lot more money out of the joke shop than they ever would working for the Ministry!”

“That’s stupid!” Mrs. Weasley demanded. “No, I won’t have it! I’m burning these; I’m burning everything I found in your room! You need to concentrate on your studies. Not messing about on this silly idea about a joke shop!”

“But Mum…” Fred started.

“No buts!” Mrs. Weasley said walking towards the kitchen. “This is the end of it! There will be no more talk about silly joke shops!”

Harry, Ginny, Fred and George watched as Mrs. Weasley walked back into the kitchen.

“Well, that could have gone better,” Ginny muttered.

“She’ll come round eventually,” Harry said.

“Really?” Fred asked, clearly not believing that notion.

“It will probably take a long while,” Harry said. “And you will probably have to wait until you have the actual shop and show her how well you’re doing, but yes, she will.”

“Wish we had your optimism,” George said.

“You’re not going to stop are you?” Ginny asked.

“Of course not, little sister!” Fred exclaimed.

“We were thinking of taking some testers to sell to the World Cup, the Canary Creams are quite good. We wanted people’s reactions,” George explained.

“I suggest you wait until you’re back at Hogwarts,” Harry told them. “Just imagine Mum’s reaction if she finds out you took some to the World Cup!”

“Yeah, maybe you should hold out, better be safe than sorry,” Ginny said. “But you could do a lot of research and development at school this year! Then show Mum how well you managed to do at the end of the year! Maybe that can bring her about!”

“You really think that is the better option?” Fred asked.

“Trust me,” Harry said. “The only way she is going to approve of this is when you show her that you can actually get it to work. I don’t think it’s the actual idea of owning a joke shop that is getting her worked up. It’s the worry that you’re going to fail and then you won’t have a good future. She’s just wants to make sure you have a good future after Hogwarts, where you can own your own house and provide for yourselves.”

“Also I know you’re not going to like it, but maybe having better exam results will show you’re preparing just in case it does fail,” Ginny said. “Not that me or Harry think it will. We both think it will be the best joke shop in Diagon Ally, or Hogsmeade, or where ever you set your shop. But with the better grades, it shows Mum you’re taking things seriously and maybe it will make it easier for her to accept knowing that in the case it does fail, you can get a better job!”

“But we only got three O.W.Ls,” Fred said frowning.

“Well take Potions and Charms and Transfiguration and show that you can actually do the work in N.E.W.Ts,” Harry said. “I know it’s not much but if you’re deadly serious about this joke shop that we know you are then you need to get Mum on board. And also finish school. I know you don’t think you will need too, but I’m going to make a stipulation in my financial backing. I will only continue to back you, if you finish school!”

“They make some interesting points, Fred,” George said thinking.

“Indeed they do, brother,” Fred replied.

“We really don’t want to fight Mum on this,” George explained. “We’ll do what you suggest for this year, and show Mum the research results at the end of the school year and see how she reacts then.”

“Either way we’re still going to go through with the joke shop,” Fred finished.

“And about finishing school?” George said looking unsteadily at his twin. “Well let’s just see how she reacts at the end of the school year first before agreeing to that.”

-oOoOoOoOo-

The morning of Harry’s fourteenth birthday arrived sooner than Harry expected. But with the morning runs with Ginny, and the constant wondering if they really had set the timeline back on track slowly eroded the weeks away. Harry and Ginny had slowly, over the past few weeks since they had started training together, started to really move on from the last week of school term. Ginny had started to get used to the fact that they knew the future and was slowly becoming comfortable with the information. Ginny did mention though that she wasn’t ready for them to resume dating yet which Harry simple told her that she didn’t need to keep explaining, that he would let Ginny set the pace.

Harry and Ginny that morning had run together for the full length of the run for the first time that summer. Ginny had slowly been improving to the point where Harry didn’t need to slow down and Ginny could run the full distance. Although it did mean that when they got back to The Burrow Ginny simple flopped down on the grass, breathing heavily and clutching her sides.

“You pushed yourself too much, Ginny,” Harry said breathing slowly trying to get his pulse back down to normal.

“I did it though,” Ginny breathed out as she lay on the grass. “I did it! Now I just need lots of water!”

Although knowing he was going to pay for his actions later, he couldn’t let the opportunity pass. Harry waved his hand subtly over towards Ginny and suddenly loads of conjured ice cold water fell on top of her. Ginny sat up spluttering and gasping, soaking wet from her shower.

“HARRY JAMES POTTER!” Ginny shouted pushing her wet hair away from her face and glaring daggers at Harry.

“You asked for water!” Harry explained and Ginny slowly staggered to her feet and slowly marched over to Harry. Harry saw her face screw up in concentration before she waved her hand and Harry felt his shirt suddenly turn soaking wet with cool water.

“Ah man that’s nice and cool in this heat,” Harry said smiling genuinely meaning it. Ginny continued to glare at him before unleashing her fury and screamed out loud in frustration. All of a sudden, Harry, Ginny and the whole garden of The Burrow was drenched in ice cold water.

Harry and Ginny gasped for breath as they stood still in shock. Both of them looked like they had just jumped into a pool fully clothed. The garden was flooded. Harry could see the local garden gnomes hurriedly climbing up bushes and trees to try and get away from the water that had flooded their homes. Mrs. Weasley opened the kitchen door and looked out into the garden in complete shock. Ginny’s brothers were in the kitchen sitting, waiting for breakfast.

“It was Ginny,” Harry said quickly pointing to his wife standing beside him. Ginny threw him a look.

“Ginny conjured the water to flood the garden?” Mrs. Weasley asked in disbelief.

“I didn’t mean to,” Ginny said quietly and Mrs. Weasley turned to her in shock. Ginny’s brothers were looking at her wide-eyed. Mr. Weasley was looking at them curiously but Sirius and Jo were standing at the back of the kitchen clutching onto one another trying not to laugh. Remus, Harry had noticed, was simply shaking his head in amusement.

“Where’s your wand?” Mrs. Weasley asked her, looking around for it in confusion.

“Hmm, I did it wandlessly,” Ginny said sheepishly.

“You’re teaching her wandless magic?” Ron asked suddenly afraid. Clearly the image of Ginny hexing him wandlessly was something crossing his mind. The twins were looking at her in awe.

“Yes, I am,” Harry said boldly.

“Well young lady since you enjoy flooding the garden so much maybe you can fix it before breakfast?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Hmm, I’m not quite sure I know how,” Ginny explained quietly. “I’ve only just started learning…”

Harry decided enough was enough and waved his hand and the garden reverted back to its original state. Harry also dried the two of them off.

“Thank you, now go get changed and hurry back down, breakfast is almost ready,” Mrs. Weasley told them. Harry and Ginny silently walked through the kitchen and then into the living room and up the stairs.

“That was fun,” Harry said as soon as they were out of hearing range of the kitchen. Ginny took a look at Harry before bursting out laughing.

“I can’t believe I did that!” Ginny said between laughs. “Oh god, I’m so sorry.”

“You are kidding right?” Harry asked her as they walked up the stairs. “That was brilliant!”

“I think we are even, agree?” Ginny asked him.

“Yeah, we’re even,” Harry laughed.

Harry and Ginny quickly showered and changed. Harry had to wait, as girls always went first apparently, and plus, he didn’t want to anger the wife, as Ginny explained to him the reason why she was going first. Harry thought that Ginny was starting to abuse the knowledge of them being married a whole lot recently but then just shrugged. He would rather her abuse the powers of being his wife than be completely mad at him for it.

When they arrived back down into the kitchen they were treated to a full English breakfast with American pancakes on the side. It was rather a large breakfast but no food went to waste. Ron even had second helpings, although Harry wasn’t entirely surprised by that particular news.

After breakfast they headed into the living room for the yearly present opening ritual. Harry sat on the couch whilst waiting to be handed his presents. Harry leaned back, eagerly waiting on his adopted family to settle down so he could continue with the important part of the morning.

“So are you going to open your presents or what, Potter?” Ginny said sitting next to him. Sapphire, Ginny’s cat, jumped onto the sofa too and sat comfortably in-between them.

“I will when you hand them to me!” Harry replied.

“You’re a lazy git you know that, right?” Ginny said handing him his first present.

Harry ignored that comment as he eagerly opened his first present that was from Ron. Surprisingly it was memorabilia of Harry’s Quidditch team, the Montrose Magpies. Harry looked at Ron questionably as it wasn’t the normal Chudley Canon stuff that he would get from Ron.

“Yeah well, I remember you saying that you support them, and whilst I think it’s still a total betrayal, it is your birthday so…” Ron explained as Harry smiled at him.

“Thank you,” Harry told him. He then moved onto his next present which was from Sirius and Jo. They got him some refreshment potions for his chest that Sirius had got him two Christmas’s ago, which was rather fortunate since they were specifically running out of the weightless potion that they used to play flying kiss chase. Although Harry was sure they wouldn’t be playing it for a while. They also got him the book Pranking Techniques volume three and Harry was sure volume four was currently waiting Ginny and her birthday on the eleventh of August.

Percy’s present was surprisingly better than normal. He had gotten him a book on the history of wandless magic and people who famously managed to perform the magic. Whilst it wasn’t exactly the same as the magic he was using now Harry still found it interesting to look back and see who was capable of such feats. The list wasn’t many but it was an in depth explanation on all those who had performed it and what they had known to do with such skill.

Harry moved through his presents, a couple of homemade joke sweets from Fred and George which Harry kept to use on Malfoy if he ever got irritating, some nice looking quills and ink from Hermione and from Neville he got a sneakoscope which wasn’t lit up, spinning, or making a noise which was always a plus to Harry.

After he had opened all the presents that had been piled around him he noticed that he hadn’t received a present from either Ginny or Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Although he could probably guess what his honorary parents were getting him and sure enough they handed over a ticket to that summer’s Quidditch World Cup.

“We weren’t sure what to get you but because Sirius can get a discount for us, we decided to treat you to the World Cup final,” Mr. Weasley explained. “We got tickets for everyone including Hermione and Neville if you wish to invite them too.”

Harry, Ginny, Ron and the twins eagerly looked at the tickets in Harry’s hands. The tickets, displaying seat numbers in the Minister’s box themselves glinted in gold on the tickets. All four of them grinned at each other.

“Bill and Charlie are even getting time off to come with us and even Percy has managed to get some leave from work,” Mrs. Weasley explained happily.

Once the excitement of actually seeing the tickets to the Quidditch Cup final wore off a little, Harry turned to Ginny wondering what she had gotten him. She quickly gave him a wrapped package that Harry carefully but eagerly unwrapped. Inside was a beautiful glass figure of a phoenix. She smiled as Harry looked over the figure carefully; it was no bigger than his hand but it was so masterfully created and look so life-like.

“It’s beautiful, thank you,” Harry said smiling.

“I saw it in a shop window,” Ginny explained. “I wasn’t exactly sure what to get you but this seemed nice and I knew you would like it.”

After the wrapping paper had been banished with a flick of Sirius’s wand, Harry, Ginny, and her brothers made their way out of the living room and into the garden and started to walk up to the paddock for a round of Quidditch. Harry and Ginny were not allowed on the same team, according to her brothers, so they decided to play opposite each other in the Seeker position. It was a long battle and twice Ginny did the Wronski Feint which caused Harry to keep an ever closer eye on the Snitch. However, in the end Harry just managed to catch the Snitch from under Ginny’s nose.

Whilst they lay on the ground enjoying the summer heat, Ginny kicked him gently in the leg. Harry turned to look at her questionable.

“You know you should have let me catch the Snitch!” Ginny told him quietly.

“Why?” Harry asked her confused.

“Because, I’m your wife,” Ginny told him quietly so her brothers couldn’t hear her.

“You’re going to use that all the time, aren’t you?” Harry moaned at her.

“Too right, got to get something out of this,” Ginny joked.

“A loving husband not good enough?” Harry asked her.

“Well, maybe, in a couple of years’ time, but I’m thirteen whilst it’s a plus that I know I’m married to someone that I love with everything I have and that he loves me back just as much, it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. But I repeat it’s good to know I have a loving husband who I love just as much for later down the line.” Ginny joked again laughing.

“Hey, do you guys want to go for a swim?” Fred called out to Harry and Ginny who shrugged in agreement. It was too hot to do anything else so why not cool off in the swimming pond that was hidden in the woods by The Burrow.

Harry had clothes in his bedroom in The Burrow which, since Harry and Ginny had started to hang out again after the first few weeks of summer, he had started to collect there so he didn’t have to keep going back to Potter Manor. However Harry didn’t have any swimming shorts so whilst Ginny and the others changed Harry quickly popped back to get his swimming gear and to join the others at the lake. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing games in the lake and otherwise relaxing in the sun.

When they arrived back they saw to their excitement Bill and Charlie sitting in the garden waiting for them. Ginny quickly ran over to Bill and gave him a gigantic hug, before doing the same to Charlie.

“Well here’s the birthday boy,” Bill said throwing his arm round Harry’s shoulder.

“Hey Bill,” Harry said smiling. “Didn’t know you guys were coming!”

“You would think we would miss the Quidditch World Cup?” Charlie asked. “Not on your Hippogriff. So as we needed to come for the World Cup anyway, we thought we might as well come and join in on our honorary brother’s birthday party.”

“Plus stay and get to celebrate our sister’s too,” Bill continued.

“Then its two weeks to the final and there’s no point going back to Egypt and Romania just to come back two weeks later!” Charlie explained.

“Ah there you are,” Mrs. Weasley said to Harry and the others whilst striding out from the kitchen. “I was hoping you could help set up the table for dinner, we’ll be having it outside.”

“Sure let us go get changed,” Harry said smiling.

“No Harry, it’s your birthday,” Mrs Weasley said. “You just relax whilst the others set up the table.” Ginny and her brother let out a moan as they walked to the house to get changed. Harry followed them so he too could change for dinner.

After changing into casual summer clothes Harry joined the others back out in the garden where they were meant to be setting up for his birthday dinner. However Bill and Charlie had their wands out and were causing the tables to crash into each other causing an awful racket. Their brothers and sister were egging them on. Harry laughed as he walked over to join Ginny.

“Who’s winning?” Harry asked her. Just then Bill’s table smashed into Charlie’s, causing two of Charlie’s legs to come off and crash to the ground.

“I’m thinking Bill,” Ginny grinned. There was a clatter of a window being opened before Percy stuck his head out of his bedroom.

“Will you please keep it down!” Percy exclaimed. “I just started writing a very important document on the international standard of cauldron thicknesses! It’s very important!”

“I’m sure it is, Percy,” Fred said bemused.

“Laugh all you want but unless some law is passed we could very well find ourselves with the market flooded with inadequate, flimsy bottom products that would leak everywhere!” Percy told them. “Now if you please!” he added before shutting the window.

“He gets more and more pompous every day,” Ron said shaking his head.

“He’s just dedicated to his work,” Ginny said and Harry was sure she was trying not to take the mickey of Percy so much. Obviously the memory of him turning his back on them was at the forefront of her mind. Once Bill and Charlie had fixed the tables, they settled them down in the garden and conjured a table cloth. Harry and the others went into the kitchen to fetch cutlery and plates.

At six Harry and the Weasleys, plus Sirius, Jo, and Lupin, all sat around the garden table, which was groaning with food upon food of Harry’s favourites. Different discussions flooded up and down the table but Harry was more interested in the food than anything else.

“Well the office is rather busy at the moment with the Quidditch World Cup,” Percy was heard saying from down the table. “But we also need to plan what’s coming after. Just got word this morning that everything is signed. Top secret mind, can’t say anything really, don’t want to break Mr. Crouch’s trust in me. He’s feeling a little ill recently so I’ve been doing more and more work to help him with his work load, but anyway, got news that everything is sorted and it’s official, so good that Mr. Crouch trusts me in this situation. Not many people know.”

“Here we go again,” Ginny muttered to Harry. “He’s been bragging about knowing about the Triwizard Tournament all summer.”

“And you haven’t wiped the smirk of his face yet?” Harry whispered back.

“Trust me, I’ve been tempted many a time,” Ginny said glaring at Percy. “But how would I explain about knowing about a top secret tournament that only certain people at the Ministry know about?”

“Fair point,” Harry conceded. “Would you mind if I did then?”

“If you think you could explain it, go ahead,” Ginny replied. “It would be nice for Percy to stop acting all pompous for just a small while.”

“Yes, I talked to the representatives just this morning, and they said they would owl over the paperwork right after. So we just need to wait for the owl to arrive and then it’s all official. It’s been months of hard work but it’s finally paid off,” Percy said, puffing out his chest. “The Minister himself came by and congratulated me on getting it all signed off.”

“Wow, Percy,” Harry said, ready to burst Percy’s bubble. “So what did you exactly say to finally convince Madam Maxime and Igor Karkaroff to agree to have their schools compete in the Triwizard competition?”

“Huh?” Percy said shocked at Harry’s question.

“The Triwizard Tournament?” Fred asked.

“That’s being re-instated?” George asked wide-eyed.

“I asked what you did that managed to convince Maxime and Karkaroff to sign the paperwork?” Harry asked him. “I know Dumbledore has been trying to get them to sign for months, what did you do that convinced them to sign when Dumbledore couldn’t?”

“Well… to start off with that is classified information,” Percy said uneasily. “As well is the fact you knowing about the tournament. I’m guessing Sirius told you?” he added throwing a glare at Harry’s godfather.

“Naturally,” Harry said. Percy glared at Harry before going back to his food. Harry turned to look at Ginny who was shaking her head.

“Sometimes I wonder about Percy,” She said quietly. “Especially after viewing the memories.”

“He just needs reminding that whilst a job is good, family is more important,” Harry told her. “We need to make sure he understands that this summer and next year. With Crouch senior already under Imperious Curse I’m sure we will be seeing Percy at Hogwarts sooner than last time.”

After dinner Harry and the Weasleys settled down in the living room to listen to the wizarding wireless. Harry gave Ron a game of chess which he lost outstandingly which caused Ginny to smirk and told him to move over and Harry could learn how it was done. Which turned out was to lose even quicker to Ron than Harry did. Harry didn’t let Ginny forget about that in a hurry and eventually Ginny smacked him playfully in the arm to get him to shut up. It wasn’t too long before the tiredness started to creep amongst the residents of The Burrow and Harry and Ginny slowly made their way up to their bedrooms.

“See you in the morning?” Harry asked her as she turned the door knob to her room.

“Yet another run,” Ginny said uneasily yawning.

“Don’t blame me,” Harry said. “You’re the one that wanted to join me in my runs.”

“Yeah I know,” Ginny said turning back to Harry. “Happy birthday, Harry.”

“Thank you,” Harry said quietly back. “Only two weeks until yours.”

“Week and a half actually,” Ginny corrected him. “You better have gotten me something good, Potter.”

“I’ve meant to have already gotten it?” Harry asked her and Ginny rolled her eyes.

“Boys.”

-oOoOoOoOo-

Ginny awoke on the morning of her birthday smiling, for after all it was her birthday. She was surprised though that she wasn’t being shaken awake by Harry. It seemed strange after the past few weeks of being so that she wasn’t today. It seemed a bit off to her. But she knew she was just being silly. She had just gotten used to awaken up every morning and seeing Harry, that’s all.

Yawning and stretching, trying to shake the sleep from her body she pulled her bed covers off her, got up and slipped into her running shorts and top. Once she was dressed she noticed again that Harry still hadn’t come to get her up so feeling a bit mischievous she crept out of her room and down the hall to the next bedroom door where Harry was sleeping. There she waited for a couple of minutes before the bedroom door opened and Harry stepped out of the room.

“Ginny! You’re up already?” Harry asked her, shocked at seeing her by his door.

“Nope,” Ginny drawled. “I’m sleepwalking.”

“Very funny,” Harry said shaking his head.

“Okay I’m not but I certainly feel like it,” Ginny muttered as they walked together along the corridor and then turned and headed down the stairs.

“Happy birthday, by the way,” Harry told her as they turned and started to go down the stairs that lead into the living room.

“Thanks,” Ginny yawned again.

“How’s your reading coming along?” Harry asked her.

“Really fascinating, actually,” Ginny said thinking. “It’s definitely different from most magic I ever heard of. It’s rather easy to do, but difficult to control though.”

“You find it easy?” Harry asked her in what appeared to be a shocked voice.

“Well yeah,” Ginny said confused at Harry’s reaction as they reached the downstairs. She frowned as she looked at Harry. “From what I gather, and tell me if I’m wrong, but the more in love you are with someone the more easily and powerful your wandless magic is? As I’ve been in love with you for like eighteen months now the magic is flowing rather easy. I just need to learn more control.”

“That’s correct, yes,” Harry nodded.

“So why did you have problems?” Ginny said frowning.

“I started early, maybe some would say too early,” Harry told him as they walked through the kitchen and to the door. “Imagine, if you will, that you started to try this wandless magic when you were ten. Think back to when you first started to have feelings for me, and then try and apply those feelings to how to do the wandless magic.” Harry opened the door and Harry and Ginny walked out into the garden and started to do some stretches.

“Whilst you had feelings, they were nowhere near, back then, to what true love feels like,” Harry explained. “Therefore your feelings would be nowhere near strong enough to power the wandless magic. That is in essence what happened to me. I started trying to learn the wandless magic when I was falling for you, but not already in love with you. Hence I struggled until I truly did love you, and then the magic started to flow freely.”

Ginny thought over what Harry and said and it made sense to her. The magic and feelings the book described and her feelings for Harry at the moment were totally different to when she first started to have a crush on her best friend. She knew Harry was right in his thinking and that it didn’t belittle the love he had now for Ginny.

“I guess that would be a good guess at the situation,” Ginny said nodding as they started to jog down the road. “It seems there’s a lot I still don’t know. For example whilst I have seen your memories, we haven’t yet talked about how you felt about such situations. It’s why I still think it is right for us to wait before starting to pick things up between us again. We need to truly learn about each other with no hidden secrets before we should move on with us again. The only way for us to do that is to talk and communicate with no hidden secrets, about everything. And I’m thinking I’m finally ready to do that with you. But there is a lot to talk about.”

“I agree,” Harry said smiling. “What you say makes sense. Plus the wife is always right.” Ginny rolled her eyes chuckling at Harry’s last sentence.

“I’m glad that I don’t have to teach you that lesson,” Ginny smiled.

“Yeah even when you’re wrong, you’re right,” Harry said.

“Then again maybe I do need to teach you,” Ginny said shaking her head.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked sounding confused. “That’s the lesson isn’t it?” Ginny looked at Harry quickly as they turned out of the drive and onto the country road.

“No, the lesson is the wife is always right, full stop!” Ginny said. “The wife is never wrong!”

“Oh,” Harry replied and Ginny laughed.

They followed their usual route along the road down to the village of Ottery St Catchpole and through, past the orphanage and the village centre before starting to head back along the country roads to The Burrow that stood alone surrounded by fields. When they got back to the garden that house the local garden gnomes both Harry and Ginny bent over onto their knees trying to get their breathing back under control.

“Well I’ve got to say,” Ginny said breathing slowly. “That at least this running is keeping us fit for the Quidditch season.”

“Apart from the fact that there is no Quidditch season this year,” Harry reminded her and Ginny frowned.

“Remind me of sucky things on my birthday why don’t you!” Ginny said exasperated. “Well I’m glad you got more of the feather weight potion for your birthday, we can use that instead of Quidditch.”

“Not the same though,” Harry told her.

“No, no it’s not,” Ginny said sulkily. “But we could play pickup games can’t we?”

“Well they won’t start planting the maze until after Easter,” Harry told her.

“After Easter? That’s plenty of time to play some Quidditch!” Ginny exclaimed. “We can speak to Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw and see if they want to play a game or something.”

“Not Slytherin?” Harry asked her.

“Are you nuts? They foul and play dirty at the best of times, what do you think they would do in a friendly game with no ref!” Ginny said.

“We can always ask Madam Hooch to ref,” Harry told her. “But I suppose you’re right.”

“You suppose?” Ginny asked airily.

“Okay you’re always right!” Harry said.

“I see it’s going to be harder to train you than I thought,” Ginny sighed. “We just went through this before our run!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Harry said waving her off. “Wife is always right, no questions.”

“Are you sassing me?” Ginny asked, hands on her hips.

“Sassing the misses? Wouldn’t dare,” Harry replied jokingly.

“Watch it Potter, or you’ll be in trouble,” Ginny said shaking a finger at him.

“Now I wouldn’t want that, not on your birthday,” Harry said as they started to walk to the kitchen.

“Morning, you two,” Mrs. Weasley said from the kitchen window. “Have a good run?”

“Same as usual,” Harry said, walking through the kitchen door.

“Well, at least you haven’t flooded the garden this time,” Mrs. Weasley noted.

“I’m never going to live that down, am I?” Ginny moaned.

“With the brothers you have? I doubt it.” Harry told her.

After they had drank their water Harry and Ginny went upstairs to shower and change. They arrived back down stairs to the smell of American pancakes. Freshly picked strawberries lay in a bowl on the table and whipped cream sat on the table. They ate the breakfast hungrily, their running helping them build up an appetite before they made their way into the living room for Ginny to open her presents.

The first present Ginny unwrapped was from Percy, and low and behold she received a homework diary. But he also had included a book on the history of the Ginny’s Quidditch team, the Holyhead Harpies. She skimmed the book eagerly as Harry looked on. First Harry’s present and then hers, Percy seemed to be getting the hang of actually getting presents that his family would like. Ginny leaned over and thanked him with a genuine hug as Percy smiled. Ginny had been trying all summer to get closer to Percy to try and avoid the fight that took place after Tom had come back. Even though she hoped that Harry would actually manage to kill Tom in the graveyard, it was only smart to prepare for the worst.

Ron got her Holyhead Harpies memorabilia whilst the twins got her the usual sweets and jokes to the annoyance of Mrs. Weasley. Bill and Charlie got her a joint present of a rather special carved wooden dragon that Harry thought looked rather cool. Ginny received ink and quills from Hermione, though the design was more feathery and girly than the ones she brought Harry.

After fifteen minutes of unwrapping and thanking people for their gifts Ginny was left with two presents, her parents’ and Harry’s. Ginny took her parents’ present first, slowly un-wrapping the paper to reveal a very elegant dress. The dress had red and gold weaved into the fabric as Ginny stood up and placed the dress against herself to see how she might look. She thought the dress looked special and would really go well with her red hair. She looked over to Harry and couldn’t help notice the love and desire in Harry’s eyes as he saw her with the dress and she couldn’t help feel a little satisfied at that information.

Whilst she loved the dress, she also knew that in order for her to go to the Yule Ball she would need to go with someone fourth year and over. She knew her parents, especially her mother had their heart set on Harry, and to be honest she hoped that would be the case. It all depended on how things went between the two of them between now and Christmas and if she was ready to restart their relationship.

Ginny carefully folded up the dress and put it back in its box before moving onto the last present, the present from Harry. It was a small rectangular box. She slowly unwrapped the present, the box seemed to open up with the hinges and as she did so she gasped as she saw a golden necklace with a small scarlet sapphire surrounded by even smaller golden jewels. Ginny could tell that it would go with the dress her parents had gotten her. She carefully took it out of the box and looked at it closer.

“Harry, this is too much…” Ginny said in awe of the necklace.

“I wanted you to have it,” Harry said smiling. “It went well with your dress.”

“It’s way too expensive, Harry,” Ginny said.

“Actually, it didn’t cost me anything; my dad gave it to my mum one Christmas. When I saw the dress I thought the necklace would go perfect with it.” Harry explained.

“This was your mum’s!” Ginny said quietly. “Then I will treasure it always.”

“I just thought it would go with the dress,” Harry said.

“You thought?” Ginny asked, eyebrows raised, as she put the neckless back in its box. “You are a guy, Harry, you don’t think about what goes nice with a dress.”

“How do you know?” Harry asked pretending to be hurt.

“Because I’m a girl, I know these things,” Ginny smirked. “Now you promised no lies.”

“Well, Jo might have mentioned it to me a couple of weeks back that it would go well with what Mum and Dad got you…” Harry said casually.

“Might have, did she?” Ginny said smiling. “I must remember to thank her then.”

“It might be nice,” Harry said smiling.

“You’re welcome, Ginny,” Jo said from beside Sirius.

“At least Harry has learnt something new,” Ginny said smiling putting the necklace back into its box.

Sirius waved his wand and all the unwrapped wrapping paper and bows from the presents disappeared as Mrs. Weasley got up from her chair. Ginny got up and motioned for Harry to do the same. Harry stood and followed Ginny out of the living room, through the kitchen and out into the garden.

“So, what do you want to do today? As it is your birthday?” Harry asked her. “Play Quidditch? Go for a swim?”

“Relax,” Ginny said as she plonked down onto the grass and let the summer sun soak in.

“Relax?” Harry asked her gently, lying down next to her.

“Basically,” Ginny answered. “In two weeks time we have the Quidditch World Cup, and then right after that we are back at Hogwarts and the Triwizard Tournament. When we don’t have to worry about three tasks that you have to perform, if everything is fixed correctly, then we have classes and C.A.R.E. Then we have training for both of us and homework. It’s going to be a very busy year with very little relaxation. This morning, just lying here with a cloudless sky above us is our last shot of peace before everything comes hurtling towards us over the next year.”

“I want to make the most of what we have today,” Ginny continued. “If we’re lucky we could be doing the same next year, but we’re talking about taking down Voldemort. Now I have every bit of faith in you and I truly believe you are capable of killing Voldemort, but like you said earlier in the summer, we have to prepare for the worst. Hopefully we can be doing the same thing next year on my birthday just like now, but there’s a chance that we could be holed up somewhere like Grimmauld Place, with Dementors running loose, the Ministry calling you a liar and mentally unstable, and fearing for our families’ lives and that Voldemort could be going after them at any point.”

“What I want to do today is forget about that for a moment. Today is the last bit of peace before the oncoming storm. And I want to make the most of it as I can. I want to spend it with you Harry, with my parents, with my brothers. I want today to be about being with family. I want today to be care free, because we won’t have another one for a very long time! This is it, and believe me I plan on making the most of it. So yes, maybe we’ll go for a swim, and yes maybe we’ll play some Quidditch. Maybe you will be sarcastic, like always, and maybe Ron will eat most of the birthday dinner, maybe the twins will pull a prank, but that’s what I want. I want a nice peaceful normal Weasley family day, because after this, We won’t get one for a long time.”
Reviews 545
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear