Search:

SIYE Time:17:20 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Edge of Seventeen
By harrystwin1

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 2
Summary: This is a one shot song fic inspired by the song of the same name and is from the POV of an American witch in Hogsmead and her encounter with Harry his friends and Ginny. HPB spoilers
Hitcount: Story Total: 3543



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I was inspired when I heard The Edge of Seventeen on the radio. This story came into my head and I hope you will review.




ChapterPrinter


My name is Samantha Martin. I’m a muggle born American witch. I’m 21 years old and I graduated a year ago from The Massachusetts Institute of Witchcraft or MIW. I work for the American Ministry of Magic in the Office of Muggle Relations. It’s my dream job and due to my academic record I was chosen for a position directly under the head of the department. We were asked by the Minister himself to go to London to meet with the British minister and the muggle prime minister to discuss the threat of Voldemort and his followers. Yes, we are aware of Voldemort in America and we are very happy the ocean separates us even though we know with magic distance is no guarantee of safety.

I’m six feet tall and have short black hair and blue eyes. I don’t usually have time for exercise but am still in great shape from playing Quidditch. I was a chaser at MIW and in high school.

The conference was long and tedious and I was a little dismayed at how overly dramatic the Minister of Magic was I even saw my boss roll his eyes a couple of times. We know how dangerous Voldemort is, but really all of this “He who must not be named” gets old after awhile. It’s was fun to watch them squirm when we said “Voldemort” like it was no one important.

But I digress, I am writing this in a room in the wizarding village of Hogsmeade. I was given the chance for a mini vacation and I chose to come here as we don’t have all wizard villages in America, unless you count Salem and I don’t, what a tourist trap and completely tacky. Anyway this is my last evening here and earlier in the day I went down to the pub below my room for a drink. I was sitting alone at a table in the lightly populated room when the most beautiful young man I had ever seen walked in the door with a bushy haired young woman.

Just like the white winged dove...
Sings a song...
Sounds like shes singing...
Whoo... whoo... whoo...
Just like the white winged dove...
Sings a song...
Sounds like shes singing...
Ooo baby... ooo... said ooo


His hair was a black as mine but completely unruly, but that just added to his appeal. He wore the most unattractive pair of glasses I have seen, but even they couldn’t hide the incredible green eyes he had. Those eyes moved over me with out stopping and he turned to his companion and gestured to a table that was right in my view.

“Yay, thank you Merlin,” I thought to my self and continued to stare as surreptitiously as I could, I did want his girlfriend mad at me.

He was about 5’9 or 10 and had the body of a Quidditch player, I thought maybe a Seeker, and in fact he reminded me of Tony Taylor my favorite player of my favorite pro team the Boston Brawlers. As I watched him and the girl I realized that she was not his girl friend but a good friend and I was trying to work up the courage to go talk to him, when a red haired man approached the table and sat down on the other side of the woman throwing his arm around her shoulders and kissing her hard. She blushed and slapped him lightly on the shoulder while he grinned widely. It looked like the three of them were best friends.

And the days go by...
Like a strand in the wind...
In the web that is my own...
I begin again
Said to my friend, baby...
Nothin else mattered

I was sipping my second drink and continuing to eye the black haired man. Actually I was doing more than eye him I was having some distinctly impure thoughts and trying to get the courage to act on them. He didn’t appear to have a girlfriend so why not, I could walk over and introduce my self with something witty like-

That’s when all thoughts of seduction went out of my mind. A young red haired woman had entered the building and when the bushy haired woman saw her she stood up and motioned to her and moved to the other side of the red haired man. The new arrival sat done next to the object of my lust and was kissed by him and not a “hey this is a good friend” kiss. She leaned into it her hand reaching up into his hair and pushing it back.

That’s when I saw it, the lightning shaped scar. “Merlin have mercy it’s Harry Potter” I thought, and that must be Ginny Weasley, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

He was no more... than a baby then
Well he... seemed broken hearted...
Something within him
But the moment... that I first laid...
Eyes... on... him... all alone...
On the edge of... seventeen

I blushed bright red and hid my face. Had I really just had thoughts of a seriously impure nature towards Harry Potter the Boy Who Lived and hope of the entire wizarding world?
He’s only seventeen and back together with Ginny. The American Ministry knew all about this young man and his friends. I had thought he and Ginny were split up after the death of Albus Dumbledore, but I guess they made up. Good I thought though I was disappointed. He needs some one like her in his life. It is rumored that Ginny Weasley is a powerfully talented witch and fiercely protective of her friends and loved ones.

Well I went today... maybe I will go again...
Tomorrow
Yea yea well the music there well it was hauntingly...
Familiar
Well I see you doing...
What I try to do for me
With the words from a poet...
And a voice from a choir
And a melody... nothing else mattered

It was at this point that Ginny turned and looked right at me as if she sensed my thoughts toward the group and I knew I had better go over there and introduce myself. I didn’t want to be on the receiving end of her fabled Bat-Bogey Curse. I downed the rest of my drink and made my way through the growing crowd. “What am I going to say to them” I thought, it was well known that Harry Potter hated publicity and I imagined anything I might say would sound like a lovesick fan, which I am!

The clouds... never expect it...
When it rains
But the sea changes color...
But the sea...
Does not change
And so... with the slow... graceful flow...
Of age
I went forth... with an age old...
Desire... to please
On the edge of... Seventeen

Ginny was still staring at me as I came up to the table only now the others including Harry were looking at me curiously as well. I don’t know how I did it but I was able to convince them I wasn’t a spy, a thrill seeker or an autograph hound. Ginny eventually asked me to join them and Hermione, who was thrilled to hear I was muggle born began to pepper me with questions about the American Ministry and muggles in America. They all wanted to hear my opinions on the Salem witch trials as they had studied them in school. I usually hate that question, but I was patient in explaining it to them.

In turn I asked them everything about Hogwarts as it was the oldest school of witchcraft and wizardry in the world. I said to Harry that I hoped he wouldn’t take offense but I thought that Ginny and his friends were his best defense against Voldemort. I said it was easy to see he loved Ginny and I hoped they would always be together. Ron was the only one the twitched when I said Voldemort and the other laughed. Ron asked me how it was that I was so brave to say the name of He who must not be named and I said that I believed in names that knowing them and using them gives one power. Hermione clapped and said she’d always felt the same way. Ron said yeah that was because she was mental and we all laughed when she hit him on the arm and he kissed her.

Soon the afternoon was over and they had to get back to Hogwarts. They all shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me. I told them if they ever needed anything at all to contact me and I would do what I could. Harry said if I could get the British Minister of Magic off his back then I would be his friend for life. I said I would see what I could do.

Now I am back in my room working this into a letter for my friends in America wondering if they will believe it when I hardly believe it myself.

The clouds... never expect it...
When it rains
But the sea changes color...
But the sea...
Does not change
And so... with the slow... graceful flow...
Of age
I went forth... with an age old...
Desire... to please
On the edge of... seventeen

Just like the white winged dove...
Sings a song...
Sounds like shes singing...
Ooo baby... ooo... said ooo

The End.


Reviews 2
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear