Search:

SIYE Time:17:54 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Secrets Can Kill
By Luna_rox

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Warnings: Violence
Rating: PG
Reviews: 7
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

:Next Generation Fic: Left in the care of Luna Lovegood, Regina and Lydia Potter grow up thinking that Luna is their mother. They know nothing of whom their real parents are. Voldemort is still out there and causing havoc around every corner and it seems as if he has more followers than ever before. The search for the Horcruxes is still going strong, Voldemort having more of them than Dumbledore originally thought. A new game on the scene, more popular than Quidditch ever was, and Potters under the desquise of Lovegoods at Hogwarts will make for an interesting few years. Strange goings-on at Hogwarts will pull the two girls, along with their brother Emery, into more than they bargained for for their first year. Could it be that Voldemort has something sinister planned for the girls? Could it be that he knows they are not who they believe themselves to be?
Hitcount: Story Total: 3128



Disclaimer: i do not own Harry Potter...it all belongs to JKR and i just play around in her universe a bit...and i am truly greatful that she allows us to play in here...



Author's Notes:
this is my first fanfic...

im not really sure if the admins will allow it, as it doesnt focus totally on Harry and Ginny, but it is a story of their daughters...

please read and review...i truely hope you enjoy it!




ChapterPrinter



Secrets Can Kill
Prologue


A torrent of rain pelted the tin roof and a crash of thunder rattled the dirty dinner dishes piled on the countertops. A violent wind shook the shutters, moaning around the gables and down the chimney with the haunted voice of a tormented prisoner. The night was awash with ghostly sounds, each crash and clatter making the woman sitting at the kitchen table start a bit from her state of drowsiness. Her pale blue eyes were bloodshot, and her head was propped up with one hand. A curtain of mussed blonde hair cascaded down over her face, hiding her features in deep shadow. Her other hand was hidden in her robes, clutching her wand with whitened knuckles.

The woman knew that it must be past midnight by now. She had been waiting in the kitchen ever since she had put her son to bed and was wondering if they would ever show up. Of course they will, she assured herself, they said that they would show up tonight, and I trust them completely. And so she continued to wait as sleep threatened to envelope her and the storm raged outside the house like a wild beast trying to break into the dry sanctuary of her home.

She had almost nodded off for good when she heard a barely discernable knock at the door. Rising slowly from the table, she cautiously made her way to the back door. A blinding flash of lightning briefly illuminated the silhouettes of two people that could barely be seen through the curtained window.

The woman approached hesitantly. Gripping her wand even tighter, she peered around the curtains. Two familiar faces gazed back at her from the rain-soaked darkness, vaguely lit by the dim yellow light emanating from the back porch lamp. She immediately undid the latch and quietly ushered the cloaked figures into the kitchen. To be safe, she latched the door back and reinforced it with a spell.

She led her visitors to the kitchen table where they sat, each cradling a carefully wrapped bundle of cloth. They had thrown back the hoods of their cloaks. One of them was a man in his early twenties. He had piercing green eyes and dark hair that was wet and plastered to his forehead. The other was a woman of about the same age. Her hair was dark red and hung down in damp strings and by the looks of her brown eyes, she had not seen sleep for quite a while. The hostess warmly embraced the couple. She had not seen them in person for months. Walking to the stove, she put on a pot of tea and then returned to the table. She sat and waited for the couple to regain their composure. A few minutes later, the man was the first to speak.

“Almost didn’t think we’d make it here in one piece,” he stated, a bit out of breath. “We ended up having to come on brooms.”

“On brooms in this storm?” the hostess exclaimed. “Why on earth?”

“We figured that it would be less risky than attempting to Apparate. I’ve only been here a couple of times before. We could have ended up in any of the Muggle houses nearby, and then where would that have left us?”

“I suppose you’re right,” she replied. “But it is such a relief to see you again, Harry. And you, Ginny,” she said, acknowledging the woman. “It seems like it’s been ages. These are such dark times. There is no guarantee that people will see their friends ever again. I’ve been worried sick.”

Harry’s eyes became solemn. “And I wish we could stay awhile and get completely caught up on things. But this isn’t exactly a simple social visit, Luna. The longer we stay here, the more danger we put you and your son in. A lot has been going on lately, much more than we’ve been able to tell you by owl. The Order of the Phoenix has been trying to once more secure the headquarters at Grimmauld Place. We haven’t been able to find a proper place to operate from, and it seems our best bet. It’s taken weeks on end and the assistance of many talented wizards and witches, but we’ve finally managed to transport the house to a new, more secure neighborhood far away from its original location.”

“Have you seen my husband lately?” asked Luna. “He mentioned something about Grimmauld Place to me. At the time, relocating it was merely an idea. That must have been months ago. I feel so useless staying here at home and not being able to help. He’s not even been able to send us proper letters by owl for fear that they’ll be intercepted. He hasn’t contacted us by the Floo network in weeks. Nothing’s safe anymore. Emery is constantly asking where his father is. He’s only three, Harry. He doesn’t deserve to be going through this.”

“None of us deserve any of this,” said Ginny, speaking her first words of the night, “least of all the children. Your son,” she said, “and our daughters.” She became silent and her gaze fell upon the bundle in her arms.

Luna’s pale eyes grew extremely wide in disbelief. She stared at the two bundles of cloth, realizing what they contained. “Your daughters? So the rumor is true?”

“Yes,” replied Ginny. “Regina Lily Potter and Lydia Molly Potter, born on December the twenty-second. They’ll be two months old today.” She brushed away some of the cloth to reveal the tiny face of a sleeping baby. “This is Regina, the very image of her father. Dark hair, and I can already tell her eyes will be as green as his. Harry is holding Lydia. She is the carrot-top, a true Weasley, and the more troublesome of the two.”

She smiled sadly at the sleeping faces.

“However did you get them to behave so well through the storm?” asked Luna. “Riding a broom while carrying a baby isn’t the safest thing.”

“We put a sleeping spell on them,” replied Harry. “It was the only way we could get them to stay still through an ordeal like that. They probably won’t wake until morning.”

Luna smiled slightly at the small babies, remembering when her little Emery had been that age, back when the times hadn’t been nearly as serious. Back when she and her friends and family had been able to see each other freely, instead of having to wait until ungodly hours of the night. They had always made sure that they were careful, but now it seemed that danger shadowed them wherever they went, especially with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in hiding once more, plotting his exact revenge. It seemed to Luna that his followers were becoming more numerous by the day. Although she hated to be away from her husband and friends, she knew that this was the best way to ensure that everyone remained safe, though it was a rather distasteful one.

Luna tore her eyes from the bundles and gazed at her dear friends. “You said you had something important to discuss with me. What is it?” Her eyes no longer showed fatigue, but concern. She was willing to do anything for them and the good of the Order.

Harry looked down at his daughter, Lydia, glasses gleaming in the dim light. He seemed hurt. When Luna glanced at Ginny, she saw the same pained look. Luna’s brow furrowed. “What is it?” she reiterated. “Is something wrong?”

Harry looked at Luna, his face solemn. “Luna,” he said finally, his voice very soft, “we need you to do us a favor.”

“Of course. Anything,” she answered. “It’s the least I could do.”

“We need you to look after Lydia and Regina.”

Luna was dumbfounded. Was that all they needed, a babysitter? “I’d love to. For how long?”

“F — f — for quite a while,” Harry answered. “Until things simmer down a bit. Ginny and I will be moving from place to place, trying to keep unseen, and we don’t want our daughters to grow up living in that sort of environment. If they stay with you, we’ll know that they’re safe and with someone we can trust. Of course, if you agree, we’ll be sending money to help with their keeping, and we’ll be checking up on them as well, though not in person. It’s far too dangerous to risk their lives like that.”

His words shocked Luna. “You want me to raise them? You know I don’t mind, Harry, but have you thought through this thoroughly? Perhaps they will be better off with their actual family. I’m almost positive Ron or Hermione would love to take then in, or your in-laws. Surely, your girls would be closer to them than I.”

The teakettle began to steam and hiss, and Luna quickly ran to catch it. She got Harry and Ginny a mug, as well as one for herself, and then sat back down. There was a short silence during which the trio drank. Harry and Ginny seemed like they needed something to warm them up after being in the cold, February rain, Luna noted to herself.

Harry placed his mug back down on the table and spoke. “Ginny and I have discussed this repeatedly, and we both agree that they would be best with you. We would let our family look after them, but,” he struggled with his words, trying to find the right thing to say, “well, if worse came to worse and Voldemort did manage to get the upper hand on Ginny and I, he would be after the rest of our family next.”

Luna stiffened at the mentioning of the Dark Lord’s name. She knew that Harry was simply being careful, but she hated him even mentioning the possibility of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named catching up with him and his family. “I suppose I have no other choice then,” Luna replied, after a short silence. She smiled. “I would be delighted to take them in, and I’m touched that you would trust me enough to do so.”

Harry returned her words with a weak smile of his own, but Ginny simply stared down at the bundle she held, a frown covering the majority of her tired face. Luna felt dearly for her. She knew it had to be extremely painful for her, especially as a new mother. She couldn’t imagine giving up her darling Emery to the care of anyone else, no matter how capable the hands.

“Are you going to keep in contact with them, as they grow older, assuming it takes that long for things to calm down? For him to be defeated?” Luna asked. She almost feared the answer to this question. It would be hard for both Harry and Ginny to give their children to someone else to care for, but even more difficult to accept the fact that their own daughters wouldn’t know they existed.

“Well,” Harry answered, “we’ve thought that through as well, and we think that if this whole ordeal takes longer than a few years to clear up, that they should grow up thinking that they belong to your family, that is, if it’s fine with you.” Luna nodded, agreeing to the plan. Harry looked down at his daughter, pulling the blanket closer around her tiny body, and smiled.

“Gin and I think it would be easiest that way,” he continued without looking up from the bundle. “They would grow up happier without the knowledge of never meeting their true parents settling on their minds.” His voice cracked, finally showing some emotion as he thought back to his childhood, remembering the long sleepless nights he had experienced, wondering about the parents he had never known, and recalling how unfair it had been that every other normal child his age had something that had simply been given to them and, though however hard he tried, he would never be able to obtain it. Deep down in his heart, he knew he was doing the right thing for his daughters, no matter how agonizing it seemed to him and his wife.

Luna’s heart felt like it was being wrenched in two as she looked at her friends. Harry’s face was etched in pain and Ginny now had silent tears rolling freely down her cheeks. She felt like she needed to comfort them, but she didn’t know what to say or do. She had never been in such a situation, so instead she guiltily waited for Harry to regain his composure.

“We’ll be giving you their things throughout the next few days, probably by sending different members of the Order here to deliver them, so that no one will get too suspicious. Do you have a crib to put them in tonight?”

“Yes,” Luna answered. “I have Emery’s old cradle. I’ll just duplicate it.”

Harry nodded. He knew he couldn’t wait much longer. He held his daughter for a few more seconds, and, with a heavy heart, stood. Ginny and Luna both followed suit. He handed Lydia ever so gently over to Luna. “I know they couldn’t be safer or happier with anyone else, and I know you’ll take excellent care of them.”

“Thank you,” she replied. He gave her a quick hug. “Be careful,” Luna said.

Harry smiled weakly, “Oh, we will.”

Ginny, still steadily crying, approached Luna, and handed Regina to her. Luna was able to cradle the babies in the crooks of her elbows. Ginny hugged her around her neck, “Please, please be good to them,” she whispered.

“You don’t have to worry,” Luna assured her, smiling. Ginny managed to smile through her tears.

Harry placed a comforting hand on Ginny’s shoulder and turned to Luna. “You take care.”

She nodded. “I will. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.”

Harry and Ginny made their way out the door, locking it behind them so that Luna wouldn’t have to. She glanced down at the two sleeping forms in her arms, hardly believing that they were hers for the time being. When Harry had told her he needed a favor, she had never imagined this. She smiled, though. She couldn’t have thought of a more pleasant favor.

Luna made her way to the window as another flash of lighting illuminated the sky. Through the rain, she could see her friends mounting their brooms. These were dark times, but she knew she would always have her loved ones and friends to fall back on. Though the Dark Lord had managed to destroy many things, he would never destroy the power of friendship or love, and she knew that if she and the others shared that, she would never have to worry about not seeing them again.


thanks for reading, and please review!

Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear