Search:

SIYE Time:15:07 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Power the Dark Lord Knows Not
By dumbledorefan92

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: General, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 8
Summary: After Dumbledore's funeral, Ginny tries to change Harry's mind, and make Harry realize that he can't push her away and do things alone. One shot. H/G with a hint of R/Hr at the end.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3732



Disclaimer: Yep, It's all JKR's, however I wish it were mine.



Author's Notes:
(NOTE: In this story, there is an extra night between Dumbledore's funeral and the train ride that takes the students home for the summer. Not quite canon, I know, but just wanted to explain.)




ChapterPrinter


Power the Dark Lord Knows Not

The night after Dumbledore’s funeral, Ginny Weasley was sitting in one of the more comfortable armchairs in front of the Gryffindor common room fire. It was late, and she was all alone, the rest of the Gryffindor house presumably having gone off to bed.

She thought back to the funeral, and to Harry breaking up with her. His argument that he was trying to “protect” her had made some sense then, but now that she thought about it, it made less and less sense every passing minute. She had respected his decision then, but now she started to regret it.

Ginny buried her head in her hands. She had seen the pained expression on his face when he had broken up with her. And she had heard him say that the past few weeks with her were like "something out of someone else's life". She very nearly burst into tears when she heard him say this. Harry didn't believe that he deserved being with her and being happy. She could think of no one that deserved to be happy more than Harry; Ginny was sure that no one she knew, including Dumbledore, had gone through so many ordeals this early on in life.

She also knew that Harry was always strongest with her beside him, and that this would somehow lead to Voldemort’s defeat. But how was she going to make him realize this? Ginny lifted her head, frowned, stared into the fire, and remained so, unmoving, for quite a long time.

Then, very gradually, a rather mischievous smile stole across her face. You’re not getting rid of me that easily, Potter. She was going to tell him that she was coming with him wherever he went, and all the reasons he needed her. And he was going to accept it, whether he liked it or not, or else face the wrath of Ginny Weasley and her Bat-Bogey Hex.

~*++*~

Harry Potter walked through the portrait hole precisely thirty-four minutes later, alone and looking thoroughly miserable, not to mention rather windswept. Glancing around, he was about to settle into a sofa near the fire when he stopped dead, staring.

"It's fine, sit down," Ginny said, smiling slightly, "I'm not going to bite you."

Harry lowered himself onto the sofa slowly, looking at anywhere but Ginny. He silently berated himself for suddenly feeling the urge to seize her and snog her senseless. Damn, this is going to be so hard, he thought to himself. Ginny, however, made things even worse (for Harry, that is), by suddenly seizing him and kissing him. Why was she acting as though nothing had happened? He wanted this so much, he really did...but he couldn't. Harry hesitated, and then pushed her away, looking at Ginny with a troubled face.

"Ginny," he said quietly, "you know we can't do this. You can't be with me, remember? We've broken up."

"I'm not recognizing that, because it was just you acting the hero," Ginny said dismissively, "now, we both know we want each other, and the common room is empty. What's stopping us?"

"Just me acting the hero? And what do you mean, you don't recognize it?" Harry asked incredulously. Why did she not understand? His temper was rising alarmingly fast and he suddenly stood back up and whipped around to face her. "Do you think I want to do this? I'm only doing this because you," he pointed at her, "would be in danger if you become involved with me any longer."

Ginny gave a derisive laugh. "And Ron and Hermione? They won't be in danger?"

"Well, they wanted to - "

"And do you think I don't? Besides, a fat lot of good they'll do for you if they can't even keep their eyes off each other."

"But - " he spluttered. He paused and exhaled loudly. "Look, that doesn't have anything to do with this. Do you understand that Voldemort can use you to get to me? Someone could tell Voldemort that we're together, and they he could use you to lure me to him."

"And you think Voldemort doesn't know about us already? We've been together for what, a month. We've had Malfoy and Snape around us all that time. You said yourself that you thought that Snape knew about us."

"But if he doesn't know - "

"Okay, look. Pretend for a second that you left with Ron and Hermione to search for the Horcruxes,"

"How'd you find out - "

"I made Hermione tell me after you went dashing off with Dumbledore. Anyway, pretend that I was left at the Burrow with my family. And then, say, I was kidnapped by Voldemort. You get a letter from my mother. What would you do?"

"I would go and rescue you, of course!"

"Exactly," she continued earnestly. "Now if I were coming with you three, and involved with you, shall I say, and got kidnapped, you would do the same thing, right?"

"Yeah, but it's much safer at the - "

"So does it matter if I'm with you or not?"

"It's much safer at the Burrow with all those wards. Ginny, I'm trying to protect you."

Ginny glared at him. "I noticed, you prat. But whatever you do now, it's already too late. The fact that we were involved with each other, and the fact that I'm still your best friend's sister is more than enough incentive for Voldemort to use me, if he really wanted to. You can't do anything about it. The magical wards at the Burrow won't stand a chance if Voldemort wants to get me."

Harry sighed wearily and collapsed back onto the sofa. "But you're too young - "

Ginny slapped him, hard, across the face. "Harry James Potter, you do not give me that crap about me being younger, do you understand? I'm a year older than I was at the Ministry, and I came out of that fight looking better than Ron and Hermione, and they're both months older than even you are."

"Sorry," Harry mumbled, still looking slightly dazed that Ginny had slapped him.

Ginny sank back onto the sofa as well, although she did not remember ever standing up. "Any more objections?" Ginny asked, more calmly.

Harry made one last attempt. "Ginny...you have to realize that I'm doing this because...I love you."

Ginny blushed. Amazing how three words can affect someone so much, she mused to herself. Her mouth opened and closed once before she regained composure. "Well, then, you're not doing yourself a favor if you're pushing me away like this. Dumbledore did say that love was the most powerful force in the world. Besides, I want to help you. I want to fight with you. I don't want to be left behind, worrying every day where you are and if you're even alive or not," she finished softly, looking directly into his eyes.

Harry stared back at her. The words of their late headmaster had just hit him with the force of a stampeding troll. In a sudden flash of insight, Harry realized what Dumbledore was talking about all this time. He realized that no matter where he was, or what he was doing, he would be strongest with Ginny at his side, bound together by their mutual love. The happiness and love they had together was worth dying for. This was what had protected him from Voldemort and his hate. So why push it away? This is what love is about, he thought to himself, as he flashed a soft smile at Ginny.

"Should I take that as a 'yes'?" Ginny asked cautiously.

"Yeah...I suppose."

Ginny flashed him a brilliant smile, and snuggled closer to Harry. He threw an arm over her shoulder.

They sat in contented silence, gazing at the fire. After a while, Ginny said, "Just now, when you said that you loved me, did you mean it?"

Harry looked surprised. "Of course I meant it!"

"Oh...good. Because I love you too," she admitted, feeling herself blush again.

Harry gazed at her for a moment, and then leaned in to kiss her.

Between kisses, Ginny mumbled, "Never do this to me again, Harry, promise that you won't try to get rid of me again."

"I promise."

"Good. I'm like a leech, you know, you can't get rid of me. And may I remind you that I have six older brothers, five of which who care for me and will hunt you down and kill you the moment you try and get rid of me again."

Harry grinned. "I wouldn't want to experience that, would I? Besides, you're much better-looking than a leech. I don't think I want to get rid of you, ever." He brushed a few locks of her hair aside, and changed position slightly to leave a trail of kisses down her neck. She felt goosebumps erupt and shivered involuntarily. She moaned as she pulled him even closer to her, if that were possible. Their kissing match continued passionately for another few minutes, as their hands roamed around each other's bodies, exploring unknown territory. Harry had just felt her hands tugging at his T-shirt when he heard an angry voice say, "Oi! You two! Keep your hands where I can see them, will you?"

Harry and Ginny broke apart reluctantly, their breaths labored and chests heaving. There, at the portrait hole, was a very irate-looking Ron and a faintly smiling Hermione, holding hands.

Wait, what? Harry did a double take. Ron and Hermione? Holding hands? He looked questioningly at Ginny, who was looking at him the same way. Then, after a heartbeat, they started laughing. Very hard.

Ron and Hermione both looked rather affronted.

-----
A/N: Hope you enjoyed it! This was my first one-shot, please read and review!
Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear