Search:

SIYE Time:2:06 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Epilogue
By BaileyMac

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: A one shot possibility of the end of book 7. Canon ships, from Ginny's POV.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4721



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is my first submission, and my first attempt at a fanfic in years! This plot bunny would not leave me alone with the last book coming so quickly. Please review!




ChapterPrinter


Ginny apparated onto the front porch and paused before going inside. She took a long look around the familiar property. This place never changes, she thought. It seemed unreal that it had been three years since she had been home last.

After the war had ended and Voldemort unquestionably destroyed, the wizarding world had slowly returned to normal. Ginny had returned to Hogwarts to finish her final year. It had been very somber in the castle with so many older students, victims of the tragedies of war, missing from the halls and common rooms of every house. Her last year at Hogwarts had been mercifully uneventful without the war hanging overhead like a dark cloud. Still, her grief for those she had lost often made the quiet of the castle unbearable, causing her to achingly long for the tumultuous times of her fourth and fifth years.

After finishing her schooling, Ginny had sought an escape from the haunting memories. She had gone as far away from home as she dared, studying healing in America. It had been such a welcome change and distraction that Ginny had decided to stay on after finishing her training. Now, after two years of not so subtle hints and begging from her mum, she was coming home to stay.

Ginny reached for the doorknob, trying to mentally prepare herself for the chaos that was her family. And then from the other side of the door, she heard her brother, Ron, speak a word that made her heart stop.

“Harry! Put that down and get over here please,” he said. “She should be here any minute!”

Ginny knew better than to let her mind race to the far corner of her brain where a miniscule hope still lingered. Deep down, even in her heart, she knew better. But there was something about being on the other side of that closed door that kept her from being able to stop herself from thinking it. And knowing that she couldn’t let herself dwell on a dream much longer, Ginny opened the door and stepped inside the Burrow.

She had a moment to look around before anyone noticed that she was there. Everything was neat and tidy as always, and Ginny had a sneaking suspicion that this task was a lot easier for her mum now that all seven Weasley children were out of the house and on their own. In fact, everyone except for George and Ginny were married and settled down. Ginny examined the moving photos of her family on the mantel as she stalled for time. They had been incredibly lucky during the war, only losing one of their large number. Not that it had been easy to lose Charlie, but they were all thankful that the rest had survived to remember him.

Ginny had kept in close contact with her family while she had been away, even owling her mother on a weekly basis. As much as she had missed her family, being away had allowed Ginny to forget and heal in many ways. It was good to be back, but she was becoming nervous and wondering if she was really ready to face the realities of coming home.

Suddenly Ginny heard someone coming toward her from the kitchen. She turned slowly.

“Hermione!” Ginny exclaimed as she ran over to give her a hug. “How are you?”

“Oh, busy as ever!” Hermione replied. “Between work, the house, Ron, and the baby…” she paused as if just remembering something. “Oh, Ginny, you still haven’t really seen him yet, have you?”

“Well, of course not, seeing as how I just got here,” Ginny answered. “Where is everyone anyway?”

“Oh, they’re out back. We’d better get out there. Everyone is dying to see you, and Merlin only knows what Ron is letting Fred and George teach our son to do now!” Ginny laughed as she followed Hermione out to the backyard. She saw the tall silhouette of Ron facing away from her, talking to Fred and George. There by the picnic tables were her parents. Her mother seemed to be giving her father a hard time about something while he smiled at her serenely. She watched as her mother finally gave in and laughed with him. They both looked a little older than the last time she had seen them, but Ginny expected that seven children and ten grandchildren might do that to a person.

Ron had finally turned around and noticed that Ginny had arrived. He came walking over, carrying a squirming little red-haired boy in his arms. “Hey there sis!” he said, smiling broadly. The little boy was trying unsuccessfully to climb over his father’s shoulder to get back to his Uncles Fred and George.

“Hey there yourself,” she said. Ginny couldn’t help but grin at how obviously domestically blissful her older brother was. It was wonderful to see him so happy and content. “Are you going to introduce me to this handsome young man? What’s your name sweetie?” she asked, although she knew the answer already.

The little boy turned around in his father’s arms to face the new stranger. “I’m Harry,” said the high-pitched, little-boy voice.

“Of course you are,” Ginny whispered. Tears sprang to her eyes as she choked a little, taking in every inch of her nephew. He seemed somewhat tall for a two year old, although what did she know about babies? He had the trademark Weasley red hair and fair skin, although the rest of his face resembled Hermione quite a bit.

But Ginny was not prepared for those eyes. Of course, she had been owled pictures when he was born and at his last birthday, but either they had been poor quality or she had somehow overlooked this detail. Where in the gene pool did he get those eyes? She thought. It was like looking into the past, only different.

“Oh, my God, Ron,” Ginny stuttered, looking up at her brother’s understanding expression, “His eyes…”

They were the most vibrant green that Ginny had ever seen. No, scratch that. She had seen them before when they had belonged to another Harry. But the green eyes she remembered had always been shadowed by sadness and pain, no matter how happy the moment had been. Ron and Hermione’s son had green eyes that sparkled like grass on a Quidditch field on a sunny spring day. There would be no clouds in this Harry’s eyes.

“I know, it’s a bit strange, isn’t it?” Ron said. “I don’t remember anyone in our family having green eyes, at least not like this. But then again, we had planned on naming our first child after Harry if it was a boy.” The grief and sadness that Ginny remembered as a fixture in her brother’s eyes passed over them briefly. “And then when he was born and we saw him, it was just…”

Ginny smiled knowingly and finished in a whisper. “Magic.”
Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear