Search:

SIYE Time:0:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Simple Misunderstanding
By athena024

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 12
Summary: *Nominated for Best One-Shot (Jul-2007)* Why did Harry assume Ron would react badly to his best friend’s feelings for Ginny? Something must have happened. Here's what. Missing scene from HBP. Takes place after Harry arrives at the Burrow, but before the chapter “Draco’s Detour.” Review please!
Hitcount: Story Total: 5629



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


A Simple Misunderstanding

The sound of the shower drowned out all other noises, each tiny bead of water cool against his back. The Burrow had only one bathroom to accommodate all its residents, so Harry preferred to take a quick shower before anyone had woken.

As he stepped out of the shower, Harry wrapped a towel around himself and headed out the door. The old house was hardly ever silent, even this early in the morning. There was always the occasional bang of the pipes, or ticking from the clock. There was some faint noise coming from the kitchen, but he decided it would be more appropriate to check it out once he was fully-clothed. Harry thought he could hear Ron snoring from upstairs, but the sound of the morning birds drew his attention to the dusty window.

The sun had just begun to rise, heralding the new day. The night sky, a deep violet, was starting to brighten into the familiar shade of blue. A few dark clouds floated about, and Harry wondered whether they’d be stuck inside all day. Not that he minded. He had been hoping for a quick round of quidditch, but he suspected he’d be playing wizard chess with Ron today.

Harry headed up to the twins’ old bedroom. He was thankful to have a room to himself, as he slept much sounder without Ron’s constant snoring waking him every couple of hours. Yet he still woke at an ungodly hour of the morning, each morning. It was probably a souvenir from living with the Dursleys all those years.

As Harry began to dress his door burst open with a bang. There was a flash of red hair as Ginny rushed and closed the door quietly. Harry struggled to pull his jeans on. “What’s going on?” he whispered quickly to her, a hint of agitation in his voice. Ginny took out her wand and pointed it at the handle of the door. Harry heard her mutter “Colloportus,” and with a quick flash of orange light from the end of her wand, the lock clicked into place. “Ginny! What are you doing?” he whispered again as he finally pulled his jeans on.

She turned to him, breathless, but she smiled. “Hiding,” she answered simply. Her eyes searched the room, landing on a hardcover book that was lying on George’s old bed. “What’re you reading?” Ginny asked casually. She strode over, picked up the book, and sat on the bed, propping herself up against the headboard. Gathering up her knees, she placed the book against her thighs and opened the front cover. “Pride & Prejudice?” she enquired. “Never heard of it.”

Harry sat on the opposite bed as he pulled his socks on. “That’s probably because it’s a muggle classic.” He grabbed his glasses off the nightstand and stood as he put them on.

“Where’d you get it?” Ginny asked as Harry crossed the room to his trunk, opened it and delved in. He still had yet to unpack since he arrived more than a week ago.

“The Dursleys’,” he replied. “I don’t think they’ll miss it.” He looked over his shoulder at her and screwed up his face in a thoughtful look. “I’m not sure Dudley knows how to read.” Ginny giggled at this, and Harry smiled at the sound. “Wait, Ginny,” he said suddenly. She looked over at him. “Who are you hiding from?”

Ginny scoffed. “Take your pick.” Her eyes returned to the pages of the book. “Mum woke me up this early, so I could help her make breakfast. It’s way too early,” she said. “No one’s awake yet, besides you. And her,” she added with a grimace.

Harry immediately knew who she was talking about. “Fleur’s up as well?”

“Of course she is. Phlegm would hate to miss an opportunity to be so annoying.” Harry smiled. “She insisted on helping me and Mum make breakfast,” Ginny continued.

“So how’d you get away?” Harry asked over his shoulder, still rummaging through his poorly-thrown-together trunk for a shirt.

“I told Mum I had to run to the loo and bolted before she could say anything,” Ginny replied nonchalantly. “Both Hermione and Ron are still asleep, so I headed up here.”

Harry found an old blue t-shirt at the bottom of his trunk and pulled it out of the mess. He realized in dismay that the shirt was hideously wrinkled. Harry returned to Fred’s old bed, flapping the tee about, trying to rid it of its wrinkles. “And how did you know I’d be awake?”

Ginny looked over at him. “Because you’re always awake this early,” she said knowingly.

Both their heads turned simultaneously towards the door as the handle jiggled softly. “Why’s his door locked?” came a deep, muffled voice from the other side. A light in the keyhole signaled an Alohamora spell, and in came Hermione and Ron, looking sleepy.

“Morning Harry, morning Ginny,” said Hermione drowsily, putting her wand away as she sat next to Harry.

Ron, however, who had not moved from the doorway, suddenly looked wide awake. “What’s going on in here?!” he asked incredulously.

“What are you talking about?” Harry asked. He had decided there was nothing he could do about the wrinkles, and finally pulled the t-shirt on.

Ron kept looking back and forth between Harry and Ginny, so much so that Ginny set the book down and asked him, “What?” in a breathy, exasperated tone.

Ron narrowed his eyes at her, as if trying to read her thoughts. When he finally spoke, it was barely more than a whisper. “Did you,” he paused to point at Harry, “did you sleep with him?”

Harry choked on the air he was breathing as Hermione burst into a fit of giggles. “Wha…What?!” Harry stammered.

“You heard me!” Ron practically yelled. “You slept with my sister?”

Harry was having trouble believing what he heard. Eyes wide, he looked over at Ginny, and was glad to see she was just as shocked as he. He looked back at Ron. “Are you serious?” he asked quietly.

“’Course I’m serious!” Ron rounded on Hermione. “Stop laughing!”

Hermione suppressed her laughter. “Honestly Ron, what made you think something like that?”

“Yeah!” Harry added, indignant.

Ron flailed his arms about, searching for the words. “Well…I…I get up and come up here to wake my best mate,” he started, “and Hermione and I find the door locked!”

“Ron,” Ginny interjected.

But Ron barreled on. “And then, we open the door to find my baby sister in bed and you…” he gestured absent-mindedly in Harry’s direction, “naked!”

Hermione resumed laughing so hard, tears formed in her eyes as she grabbed at her sides. “I wasn’t naked,” Harry said weakly. “I…I had some clothes on.”

“All done then, were you?” Ron attacked angrily. He turned to Ginny. “What if Mum or Dad had found you? They’d have killed you!”

Ginny, however, had had enough of Ron’s verbal abuse. She hopped off the bed and stormed towards Ron, who unconsciously took a step back. She was smaller than him in stature, but her presence and anger were formidable. “Ron, you git, I was hiding from Phlegm!”

“Yeah, but you shouldn’t have…wait, what?”

“I couldn’t stand being around her this early!” Ginny continued. “You were still asleep, and so was Hermione, so I came up to Harry’s room.”

Ron’s mouth moved, but no words escaped it. Hermione smiled and spoke for him. “I think what Ronald’s trying to ask is, why was the door locked?”

Ginny turned to her. “Just in case she followed me up here.” She scoffed. “Phlegm thinks we could be ‘zee best of friends!’” she imitated Fleur.

“Well then why was Harry half-naked! Or whatever,” he added in a mumble at Harry’s look.

“He’s just showered! Look, his hair’s still wet,” Ginny said, pointing to him. Harry ran his hand through his hair, showing Ron that it was indeed still wet.

Ron scrambled for another point to make. He thought of something, and turned suddenly to Ginny. “What were you doing in his bed?”

Harry could answer this one. He spoke quietly, patiently. “Ron,” Ron looked at him. “I sleep in this bed.” He patted the mattress.

Ron looked defeated. “You…you do?” Harry nodded. Ginny crossed her arms. “Yeah, well…well then why…how come,” Ron stuttered, searching for another argument. Finally, he looked down at the old worn floorboards. “Well,” he said quietly as he scuffed his shoe, “you can’t really blame me, can you?” He looked up at all of them. “I mean, what was I supposed to think?” Ron looked sheepishly between Harry and Ginny. Harry looked amused. Ginny just looked angry.

Hermione sighed as she stood. “C’mon Ron.” She pushed him out the doorway. “I’m sure you’ll be able to think rationally once you’ve had something to eat.” She glanced back at Harry and Ginny and rolled her eyes before she and Ron descended the stairs.

As their footsteps receded, Ginny turned back to Harry, but neither spoke, unsure of what to say. Finally, Ginny said, “Sorry about that. If I’d known…”

“It’s not your fault,” Harry said quickly. “Just a simple misunderstanding.” He smiled, and she grinned back.

Ginny suddenly thought of something and took her wand out of her pocket. She pointed it at Harry’s chest and whispered something Harry couldn’t make out. There was a rush of air from her wand Harry felt his shirt smooth out. The wrinkles were gone. He beamed at her. “Mum taught me that one,” Ginny said. She shrugged. “Helps with the laundry.”

“Thanks,” he said gratefully.

“No problem. See you downstairs,” she muttered and headed out the door. Harry looked out the window after watching Ginny leave. The sun was up now, bathing the fields in warm light. Yet the ominous clouds remained. There was a noise at the door, and Harry wheeled around to see Ginny standing there once more. “I forgot to ask. Did you like the book?” she asked quickly.

“The wh…oh,” he remembered the Dursleys’ book. “Um, I dunno. I haven’t finished it yet.

Ginny smiled. “Well, let me know. It seemed interesting, the first few pages.”

Harry smiled. “Sure,” he replied. Ginny gave him a quiet “Thanks,” and headed back down the stairs. Harry glanced over at the book lying on George’s old bed. For some odd reason, he felt the urge to finish the book in one sitting.

-The End-


Reviews 12
ChapterPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear