Search:

SIYE Time:1:34 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Summer Story
By Arnel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 392
Summary: Summer at the Dursleys’ is typical for Harry Potter who hopes his stay with his relatives will only last two weeks at most. In this sequel to You’re Still You and New Year, New Hope Harry learns that his role as “savior” of the Wizarding world is more complicated than he thought and that he needs his friends and mentors more than he ever imagined.
Hitcount: Story Total: 135409; Chapter Total: 5194







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 6: Approval

Harry woke with a start. Someone had Apparated into his bedroom. Disoriented, he frantically tore at the curtains of his four-poster, gripping his wand which had been under his pillow and groping for his glasses on his bedside table. His hand connected with an ear piece, knocking the glasses to the floor with a clatter. A second later, a long-fingered hand parted the curtains and gently placed the glasses on the bed beside Harry.

Harry shoved his glasses onto his nose, breathing hard. “Dobby?” he croaked, throwing back the covers and shoving the curtains open roughly. The house-elf had retreated across the room and was standing in a corner opposite Harry’s bed.

“Good morning, sir. Dobby is bringing Harry Potter’s breakfast,” said the elf, indicating a tray of covered dishes that sat on Harry’s bedside table. “Harry Potter has an appointment with Madam Pomfrey. She expects Harry Potter at quarter to seven.”

Harry glanced at his watch. He had twenty-five minutes to eat and wash and dress. “Thanks, Dobby for the reminder and the breakfast. It smells delicious.”

Dobby beamed as he responded, “Harry Potter is too kind. Dobby must be going, sir.”

Harry watched as Dobby disappeared. Elves are so lucky they can Apparate in the castle, he thought. He walked over to the tray and found a piece of toast. He munched it on his way to the bathroom.

Fifteen minutes later, Harry knocked on the door between his and Neville’s bedrooms. Neville answered the summons holding his book bag.

“I’m going down to the hospital wing for a check-up. Madam Pomfrey is expecting me in ten minutes,” Harry said genially “Want to come along?”

Neville dropped his bag on a chair. “Sure. Do you think she’ll have you swimming this morning? Let me pack my swim trunks, just in case.”

Harry groaned softly and stepped back into his room to retrieve his own bathing costume. “Do you think Madam Pomfrey will want us to go to the P-T Room today?” he called over his shoulder.

“I don’t see why she shouldn’t,” Neville replied, sticking his head into Harry’s room. “Hey, I’ll meet you in the corridor. I need to grab a few things from my desk since I probably won’t have time to come back here. I think I have a meeting later.”

They met outside their rooms and hastened to the hospital where Madam Pomfrey greeted them. “Right on time, Harry. Good morning, Neville. It was nice of you to accompany Harry. Please wait for us in the waiting area.”

Harry’s exam went much better than it had two weeks ago. Madam Pomfrey was pleased with how well his shoulder had healed and asked him many questions about the exercise programme he had done with Dudley.

“Your cousin seems to be a very knowledgeable young man, Harry, to know how to help you recuperate. I hope you thanked him,” she said as he handed her the bag containing the post and rubber bands.

“I think I did,” Harry said uncertainly. He supposed he should have made certain to thank Dudley, but his memories of and emotions toward his cousin were so jumbled, it had been hard to remember.

“Harry,” Madam Pomfrey said, interrupting his thoughts. She peered closely at the scar on his shoulder as she spoke, prodding it here and there with her fingers. “I think it would be a good idea to have Healer Rodkey come in to take a look at this. I’m concerned that the scar tissue may need to be reduced.”

Harry frowned, confused. “What’s the matter with it?”

“Your scar is wider than I think it should be and is very bumpy in places. It could hamper your movement by not stretching properly in a duel. A little bit of magic should clear that up quickly, giving you full range of motion,” she said.

“Tell me what Healer Rodkey would do to it, please,” Harry requested cautiously.

Madam Pomfrey quickly explained the procedure and telling him what the advantages and disadvantages would be.

At the end of her explanation, Harry asked, “Can I have a day or two to think about it? I’m a little reluctant to go through more surgery.”

“Of course, Harry,” the matron said. “I don’t want to force you into something you don’t want to do.”

“Thanks,” he said, feeling relieved.

Madam Pomfrey handed him his shirt. “We can finish our discussion in my office. I think you will be more comfortable there,” she said briskly. Neville gave Harry an encouraging smile as Madam Pomfrey led the way through the door to her office, leaving it open.

“How are you recovering overall, Harry?” she asked, once they were seated facing the empty fireplace at the back of the cluttered little room. “Are you feeling strong and healthy? Do you have any concerns?”

“Erm, I’m fine,” Harry answered evasively, not meeting her eyes.

“Were there any after-effects from your run-in with Dudley’s gang?” Madam Pomfrey asked, looking pointedly at him.

Harry could only answer, “Erm,” so she waved her wand over him, casting several spells and frowning at the results. “I want you to be completely honest with me because there are things we can do to help you feel tip-top if you aren’t.”

“I’m fine, Madam Pomfrey,” he repeated, although he knew he wasn’t being fully truthful.

“That’s not what my evaluation tells me. Your respiratory system seems to be your weak point. Can you run as easily as you did before the battle without getting tired?”

Harry closed his eyes momentarily. He knew the answer. He’d been denying the truth for the past week: something had changed physically after his confrontation with Dudley’s gang and he now tended to tire very easily when he forced himself to go faster than a brisk walk. He had buried the truth because it was easier to deal with it that way rather than confront it head-on.

Harry chose to study the half-burned logs in the grate as he confessed, “Breathing is difficult if I go much faster than a quick walk. I tire very easily, too. I don’t know why I feel like that.”

Madam Pomfrey leaned forward in her chair, looking concerned. “There could be many reasons, Harry, the first being the numerous spells you withstood during the battle in Hogsmeade. If the Death Eaters were using medi-spells for cutting flesh and breaking bones, they could very well have been targeting other areas of the body.”

“What about the Cruciatus Curse? The Death Eaters cast it on me at least twice, maybe more,” Harry said, voicing the anxiety that had been bothering him since he had noticed the respiratory problems.

“It’s possible, but the curse targets the nervous system. Hmm,” she murmured, consulting her clipboard. “Yes, I did give you the antidote to counter-act the immediate effects. There is a stronger potion I could give you, but it has some rather strange side-effects if administered outside the time limit. I need to check on that.”

“What about my broken ribs? Could I have an internal injury you didn’t catch?” Harry asked, grasping at the idea as it popped into his head.

“No, Harry. Your healers mended everything. And before you begin blaming Nymphadora Tonks for a bad healing job at the park, let me remind you that Tonks is a very competent field healer, as good as any other Auror.”

“Then why am I feeling so sluggish and out of breath?” Harry asked, still worried that he’d never feel completely well.

Madam Pomfrey reached up and placed her hand on Harry’s forehead, as though checking for a fever. A rather odd gesture, he believed.

“It’s all here in your head. No, I don’t think you’re mental, so don’t get your dander up. I believe you finally slowed down enough to give your body the time it needed to catch up with the punishment you’ve been heaping on it for the last six months. Your brain has finally said ‘enough!’”

Harry raised an eyebrow, not quite believing what she was saying. “I sleep... a little,” he said defensively. Until the nightmares ruin what little sleep I get...

“How many hours a night?” Madam Pomfrey asked. “Five hours? Four? Less?”

Harry’s guilty silence told her everything she needed to know.

“Harry, that’s not enough for anyone!” she said. “Listen to me: when you finally slept long enough for your body to recover from your shoulder injury, it realized it wants more than you’re willing to give it. I’m almost certain that if you spend a few more hours in naturally deep sleep each night, you will regain the strength you think you’ve lost.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Harry muttered, wishing for an easy way to shut off his busy brain each night, a way to eradicate the battle scenes and the faces of those he had duelled flashing across his consciousness. A measure of Ginny’s Draught of Peace potion would be spot on, he thought.

Madam Pomfrey countered, “No, Harry. It’s the truth and I can think of at least one way to help you relax enough to get the sleep you need.” She waved her wand and a piece of parchment zoomed towards them from her office. “These are relaxation exercises that are meant to be done before bed. Do at least three of them each night, for a minimum of fifteen minutes.”

Harry scanned the pamphlet, recognizing at least half the exercises from his Occlumency sessions with Remus Lupin. “I thought these were just for Occlumency,” he said, smiling genuinely for the first time that morning. “I’ve done some of these.”

“Very good. Resume them,” Madam Pomfrey replied sternly. “I’m also clearing you to run and want you to begin tomorrow. Maybe Neville could accompany you.” She glanced through the doorway towards Neville, who was still sitting patiently in the waiting area, obviously listening, for his ears turned pink as he glanced down at his somewhat tubby physique. “Since you two are the only ones here this summer, you have my permission to use the exercise equipment and free weights as you see fit.” Harry and Neville nodded in agreement. “Finally, Harry, you need to begin swimming.”

Harry’s head jerked up at this. “I thought you’d say that. The thing is... I don’t swim well when I haven’t eaten gillyweed. The Dursleys only gave me a minimum number of lessons.”

“I said I’d teach him,” Neville volunteered, walking into the room.

“That’s very kind of you, Neville. Would you like to begin this morning?”

Neville beamed. “Yes, Madam Pomfrey. Is the P-T Room open?”

“Yes. The password is still the same as at the end of term,” she said. “Well, Harry, it looks as if we have a plan for your full recovery. Are you in agreement with it?” As Harry nodded she said, “Off you go, then. Enjoy your swim.”

*

The water was pleasantly warm as Harry walked down the steps into the shallow end of the pool some ten minutes later. Neville dove gracefully off the side and swam the length of the pool to emerge at the other end without taking a breath.

“Show off!” Harry called, admiring his friend’s ease in the water.

“Let’s see what you can do!” Neville challenged.

They made a game of it and spent a pleasurable half hour testing Harry’s swimming skills before a whistle suddenly caught their attention. Both boys looked up to see Madam Pomfrey standing on the landing above the ramp and nodding in approval.

“Time’s up,” she said, coming down to the poolside. “I think that’s enough for one morning. Are you feeling more in control, Harry?”

Harry nodded quickly.

“Good,” Madam Pomfrey continued. “I’ve put a list of exercises on the wall above the free weights that both of you can follow if you choose to do them. Come down each morning for your workout, Harry.

“Neville, you and I have a fire call with Healer Rodkey at eleven o’clock and Professor Dumbledore expects Harry in his office at eleven. Enjoy your morning!” Madam Pomfrey called over her shoulder as she left the P-T room. Harry and Neville dressed and began using the exercise equipment.

Nearly two hours later, intent on taking a bath, Harry found a strange owl waiting on his window sill when he entered his suite. He had plenty of time before he needed to go to Dumbledore’s office, but he wanted a long soak to rid himself of the many minor aches he was beginning to feel from his morning workout. The bird hooted impatiently and held out its leg.

Harry grabbed an owl treat from the box next to Hedwig’s cage and gave it to the owl. It flew out the window in the direction of the Owlery as soon as Harry had taken his letter. The envelope was quite thick and contained two letters. The first was from Mrs Figg, explaining that Dudley had unexpectedly slunk through her fireplace with the request that she send his letter to Harry even though he technically wasn’t supposed to have access to the Floo network. “He even said ‘please!’” she wrote, sounding amazed. Her owl would wait for Harry’s reply.

Harry showered quickly, his long soak forgotten. As he emerged from the bathroom, Dobby appeared carrying a tea tray. “Madam Pomfrey sends a special tea for aches and pains, Harry Potter,” the elf said, bobbing at Harry’s feet. “Harry Potter needs to drink all of it. Shall Dobby remind Harry Potter when to leave for your appointment?”

“No thank you, Dobby. Could you put the tray in the sitting room, please? I have some reading I want to do and thought I’d sit in there,” Harry replied, eager to find out what Dudley had to say. What is so important to Dudley that he would risk a confrontation with Death Eaters to send a letter to me? he wondered.

Dobby put the tea tray on the table in front of the sofa and left with a small crack! Harry poured himself a cup and sat back to read his letter. The disjointedness of his cousin’s missive showed just how foreign letter writing was to Dudley.

Harry,

As soon as you left yesterday our house felt very strange, as if something had been lifted from it. Do you know anything about it?

My workout this morning felt weird. I think I got used to having someone around, even though you kept quiet most of the time.

Thanks for cleaning all of your junk out of the other room. Now I can spread out a little more. My wardrobe won’t be as cluttered now.

Dudley



Harry smiled, cast a warming charm on his cup and gulped down the rest of his tea. It sure didn’t take Dudley long to get moved back into that room, he thought wryly. Then he remembered: the Order had taken the Dursleys on an extended holiday for the rest of the summer and Dudley must have been writing from their hotel room. This letter must be a fake. Just to make sure there wasn’t anything untoward about the letter he drew his wand and muttered a revealing spell.

The letter glowed bright gold for a second before the writing shifted to reveal what Dudley had truly written:

Harry,

Right after you left Mum found a letter under your alarm clock. She wouldn’t tell me what it said, but I knew something was up by the look on her face when she ordered me to pack a bag for a trip. She said we might be gone indefinitely. Why? What do you know about this? The freaks who hustled us out of the house wouldn’t tell us anything.

We are staying in a hotel that looks like a mansion, but I have no idea where we are. Mum and Dad are worried what will happen to their house. Mum is frightened something will happen to it while we’re gone. Dad is worried he will lose his job if he is gone for more than a day or two. They don’t trust the people who took us away even though they said something about new enchantments and memory charms.

My workout this morning in the hotel gym felt weird. I guess I got used to having you around, even though you hardly ever said anything.

Dudley


He stood and crossed the room to the desk, looking for his writing materials.

Back at the sofa, he poured the last of the tea and sipped it slowly as he considered how to approach Dudley’s question. What was safe to tell Dudley? Did he know about the protection spells and, if not, was it wise to tell him about them? Harry decided the best approach was to be as vague as possible and gloss over the specifics; the less Dudley knew the better. Dudley’s workout remark prompted Harry to thank his cousin for sharing his knowledge and equipment. He passed on Madam Pomfrey’s comments as well. Finally, he briefly considered making a comment about his aunt, but ultimately decided against it.

He finished writing in plenty of time to find Mrs Figg’s owl before his appointment and gently tossed the impatient bird out the nearest window. As he watched the owl fly over the Forbidden Forest, Harry saw two thestrals momentarily leap above the trees. He had to swallow hard to get rid of the small lump that formed in his throat at the memory of his fateful ride on the strangely beautiful animals.

Ten minutes later, Professor Dumbledore ushered him into his office. “Harry, you seem fit this morning,” he said, slowly sitting down at his desk across from Harry. “I hear from Madam Pomfrey that you’ve been making good use of the new Physiotherapy Room. Have you had the pleasure of partaking in her medicinal tea? Marvellous stuff for ridding oneself of small discomforts.”

Harry smiled in agreement. “Dobby brought me some tea,” he said as he rolled his shoulder to demonstrate, “and I’m not feeling any pain whatsoever, sir.

“Splendid news, Harry,” Dumbledore said kindly. “Now then, I am told that Madam Pomfrey has cleared you to Apparate and wants you to gradually resume your previous training schedule. Therefore, we need a quick review: Mrs Chang has agreed to come Monday through Friday mornings for your Tai Chi lessons. You and Neville need to discuss whether they will take place in the pool or in your original room. Kingsley Shacklebolt and Nymphadora Tonks have a very limited time schedule, but will fit you in to their time tables for both fencing and duelling, as time permits. You and Neville, in the meantime, should find some time in your workout to resume sparring.”

Harry grinned at this. “It’ll be nice to start duelling again,” he said. “I wouldn’t have lasted as long as I did during the battle if it hadn’t been for Tonks and Kingsley. I’m grateful to them.”

“As you should be, Harry. Tonks was very upset about you getting hurt, although I noted that she was proud of the reports from the other Aurors about the skill and bravery you showed under fire.” Professor Dumbledore consulted his notes. “Ah, yes. Occlumency. How was that going before the battle, Harry?”

Harry shifted his gaze to the sword which hung on the wall in back of Dumbledore. “I’d reached a plateau of sorts, sir, and was having difficulty again. Pro–Remus wanted me to lighten up a little on the number of exercises I was forcing myself to do each evening, take a break for a week or two,” he reported. “When I got hurt, I abandoned them altogether and have had trouble sleeping for the last ten days.”

“Any pain in your scar or transmissions that aren’t yours, Harry?” Dumbledore asked, his voice full of concern.

“Mostly just nightmares about the battle, sir,” Harry said quietly, still staring at the sword. “Madam Pomfrey was pleased that I asked for a way to get what she calls natural sleep.”

“And has she helped you in that matter?”

Harry looked back to Professor Dumbledore. “Yes. She gave me a parchment about relaxation techniques and I recognized some of the mind-clearing exercises from Occlumency. I’ll be starting those tonight.”

“Excellent, because you’ll be working with both Remus and me on this subject, beginning tonight. Remus can only come in the evenings, and we will work together after breakfast when his Order obligations will conflict with his time with you.”

Harry leaned back in his chair and sighed contentedly. Things were coming back to normal, or as normal as it could be for him. “Thank you, sir. I-I’m looking forward to working with everyone again. Even if I have to start over with the simplest tasks, what I’ve learned so far from my tutors helped keep me relatively safe in Hogsmeade that day.”

Professor Dumbledore watched Harry over the tops of his glasses, a small satisfied smile causing the lines in his face to smile too. “Harry, we couldn’t have been more proud of you than if you fought side by side with us.”



A/N: Happy New Year to all my readers! I hope you’ve enjoyed the chapter enough to tell me about it.

I have my usual thank yous to dish out:

To GhostWriter and Bookish327, my pre-betas, thanks so much for your input into this chapter. Each of you catches and adds many things which make my writing better and I appreciate the time you’ve taken to help me.

To my betas, Aggiebell and Genesse, thank you for your perseverance in seeing that this chapter is the best it can be. Believe it or not, I appreciate you nit-picking at all the little things and insisting that I rewrite the chapter five times because it became better each time you sent it back. And Genesse, thank you for taking over where Lady Narcissa left off. I’m looking forward to working with you on future chapters.

Reviews 392
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear