Search:

SIYE Time:11:43 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Seeking Comfort
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 5
Summary: After a particularly bad day, Harry has only one person to turn to for comfort...
Hitcount: Story Total: 4932



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is a random one-shot that just jumped into my head. I'm sure everyone is as excited about Deathly Hallows as I am. There's not long to wait now. I'm just praying tha my copy will be waiting for me at my hotel in France. Of all the weekends that I had to be on a twenty-six hour coach journey, it was this one. Oh well. Please review.




ChapterPrinter


Seeking Comfort

*

By Fire

*


The thin curtains that hung across the small window did little to block the moonlight from streaming through. The silvery light cast great shadows across the room, and it was in one of these shadows that Harry Potter stood, watching.

He knew he shouldn’t be there, but he wandered around for over an hour thinking of nothing but Ginny. He knew that if Voldemort found out about her, she’d be in more danger than perhaps even Harry himself, but he just wasn’t strong enough to stay away.

It’s only for a few minutes, he had told himself as he unlocked the Burrow’s kitchen door and crept through the house to Ginny’s room. He had silenced the creaking stairs as he climbed them and pushed open the door to her room without making a sound.

She couldn’t know he’d been there, and he couldn’t allow himself to speak to her, knowing that it would be doubly hard to leave again. But there was something about her presence that was soothing. For months now, a knot of fear and panic had been growing and tightening, but now, as he watched her sleep, he felt it loosen. She looked peaceful, and it caused Harry to wonder if her dreams were untroubled, unlike his, but he doubted it. In times of war, nobody’s dreams would not dwell on things that would hurt them. Her red, flame-like hair fanned out behind her, and Harry thought she looked beautiful. He leant back against the wall, but as he did so, he knocked the chest of drawers beside him causing something to fall to the floor with a crash.

Ginny awoke with a start. She grabbed her wand and pointed it in the direction of the crash that had woken her. She could see a dark shape lurking in the shadows.

“Who’s there?” she asked, her voice quivering slightly.

She watched as a person she had not seen in months stepped forward into a shaft of moonlight. His face was blank and expressionless, and there were dark circles under his eyes.

“Harry?” Ginny whispered.

She swung her legs out of bed and made to take a step towards him, but she checked herself.

“How do I know it’s really you?” she asked.

Harry reached out and took her hand. His palm was cold, and Ginny could feel him trembling. He pulled her towards him and kissed her. It was as though she could feel his pain and his fear, as though he was pouring it into her. After a few moments they broke apart.

“What’s wrong?” Ginny asked, worriedly. “Why are you here?”

The blankness of his eyes filled her with sorrow. It was so strange for Harry to show no emotion.

“Ron was nearly killed today,” he muttered, hoarsely. “We got him to St. Mungo’s just in time.”

A shadow of fear crossed Ginny’s features. “What happened?”

“I can’t tell you,” said Harry, sadly. “I promised Dumbledore I wouldn’t tell anyone except Ron and Hermione.”

“It’s okay,” said Ginny. “You don’t need to explain.”

She took his hand between hers and stroked it gently. Her touch filled Harry with a warm he had not felt in so long.

“Was it to do with your secret quest, or did you get attacked?”

“We weren’t attacked,” said Harry. “At least not by Death Eaters.”

Ginny nodded.

“Did you find something important?” she asked

“Yes,” said Harry. “I’m one step closer.”

“Well that’s good then.”

“It’s not worth Ron’s life.”

Ginny was silent for a moment.

“You can’t expect that you’re the only one who’ll have to make sacrifices,” she said, slowly. “Besides, you said you got him to the Healers in time, so he’ll be okay.”

“Hermione stayed with him,” Harry said. “But I couldn’t stay. It’s all my fault.”

“No, it’s not. It’s - ” she took a deep breath, “ — Voldemort’s fault.”

“I just wandered around the hospital,” said Harry. “I didn’t know where to go, what to do, and then I thought of you. I’m sorry I woke you.”

“Don’t be,” said Ginny, softly.

She sat down on the edge of her bed and beckoned Harry to sit beside her.

“You look exhausted,” she said. “When was the last time you had a good night’s sleep?”

“July,” said Harry.

Ginny smiled.

“Well, you’re overdue another. Come on.”

She pulled his cloak off him and threw it onto the floor. She crossed the room and began rummaging in her drawers. Harry watched as she turfed various items of clothing onto the floor.

“Aha!” she exclaimed a few minutes later.

She handed an old, faded t-shirt to Harry.

“It was Bill’s,” she said. “I used to sleep in it when I was younger. It’ll do for tonight.” She paused for a moment. “I’ll turn round while you change.”

She turned her back on him.

“Ginny, I…”

“Don’t start, Harry,” she said. “You need some sleep, so you’re going to stay here tonight so I can keep an eye on you.”

“I really shouldn’t be here you know,” he said, whilst pulling of his sweatshirt.

“I know,” said Ginny. “It’ll be our little secret.”

Harry smiled despite himself.

“If Voldemort…”

“Just forget about Voldemort for just one night, Harry,” said Ginny. “He’s not going to be able to get to me, here or at Hogwarts.”

Harry pulled off his jeans and pulled Bill’s old t-shirt over his head and slid into bed.

“I’m ready.”

Ginny turned around and climbed under the covers and lay beside him.

“Now, no nightmares,” she said sternly.

Harry grinned.

“Yes, miss,” he said with a mock salute.

Ginny inched herself closer towards him. She put her arm around his middle and rested against his chest. Tilting her head, she gave him a gentle, lingering kiss on the lips.

“Good night, Harry,” she said, softly.

“Good night, Ginny.”

He wrapped his arms around her and held her close. His head sank deeper into the pillow and within moments he was claimed by sleep.
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear