Search:

SIYE Time:18:48 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Prodigy
By Milarqui

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Comedy, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 209
Summary: Some people say that Prodigies are born. Other people believe that Prodigies evolve in the proper environment. What if Harry was a born Prodigy but living with the Dursleys dampened his education? This is the story of what would happen if Harry had the opportunity to develop his intelligence.

Note from SIYE: The original author of the story “Prodigy,” jmcqk6, has told SIYE he has abandoned his story and has given permission to other authors “that anyone could do whatever they want with it.” There is no issue of plagiarism involving this story. ~Sir Ollivander ~SIYE Administration
Hitcount: Story Total: 74559; Chapter Total: 5342







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 6 — Breakfast with Galleons

Money, n. s., money. Something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value, or a means of payment.

“What’s that you are carrying, Hedwig?” Harry asked the white owl, who was carrying a parchment envelope on her beak.

Harry had not seen Hedwig for the last two days, but he had supposed that she was out, having some fun away from the house, maybe hunting a lot, or even starting a family — Harry snickered at that thought.

The owl landed on Harry’s shoulder and dropped the envelope in front of him before pecking him affectionately on his ear. Harry smiled and took the envelope, which was curiously addressed to Harry Potter, The White House in the Forest, Godric’s Hollow, Wales.

Harry’s heart leaped once when he realised that, at least, now he knew where he was exactly, and if he ever wanted to come back, now he could!

The second thing he saw was that, in the back, the envelope had a wax seal with a very well known coat of arms that Harry had seen many times while reading Hogwarts, A History.

“Hogwarts! Hogwarts has sent me a letter!” Harry said, jumping up and down like the little kid he was but hadn’t been able to behave like for much time. Hedwig hooted happily at the boy’s antics.

Harry, after partying for a few moments, opened the letter and read its contents.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
Headmaster Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)


Dear Mr Potter,
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress


“Might as well get to Diagon Alley and buy all these things,” Harry told himself. He didn’t have an idea of what day it was right now, but if he went out that day he might be able to get an idea of how the magical world was right now. Before departing, he decided to send the answer back. Harry Conjured some parchment with a wave of his ‘wand’ (a very easy charm he had mastered the year before, you just had to pour enough power behind the charm so that the parchment stayed stable for enough time) and took a self-inking quill from his desk.

Dear Mrs McGonagall,
I gladly accept your invitation, and I will be at Hogwarts School the next 1 September to occupy my place in the school.

Yours sincerely,

Harry James Potter


Harry put the short letter into other envelope and sealed it with some wax, in which he printed the coat of arms in the house’s library with a small piece of wood he had carved one day he was bored.

“Hedwig, do you mind if you take this letter to Hogwarts?” Harry asked the snowy owl. Hedwig hooted and stuck her leg out so that Harry could tie the letter, which he did carefully — it was the first time he sent Hedwig out with a letter.

“Take care of yourself, girl. Just come here when you are finished with the letter, unless they want you to take an answer back, OK?”

Hedwig hooted again and caressed his face with one of her wings before Harry launched her into the air and took flight towards the north.

Harry smiled while looking at the only companion he had had for the last four years (well, the last living companion — he didn’t know if the old lady could be counted on as a companion, because she came and go whenever she wished to help him) going away into one mission that would change his life forever.

But now, he had to go to Diagon Alley and buy all the things he would need. He already had the wand and the pewter cauldron. He would need to buy some clothes, the new books (he could see if there were more books at the bookshop) and he may go to the Apothecary to see if there were any potions ingredients he didn’t have at his lab.

But first, he would need to get some money. And to get some money, he would need to go to one place.

Gringotts. The Wizarding Bank.

Harry concentrated and, with a small POP! he disappeared from Godric’s Hollow.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpg wrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg



Harry appeared in front of a big bronze door that stood in the middle of a white marble faade that shone beautifully under the morning sun that bathed the whole street, illuminating with a reddish tone that Harry would have loved to take on a photograph if he had had a camera with him, but it wasn’t to be the case right now, because he first had to go to Gringotts and find a way to get some money. He had read that his father had a lot of money, but since he didn’t have an idea of how to reach it, he hoped that the Goblins would give him a loan.

Harry knocked on the bronze door and waited for a goblin to open the door. After a few minutes, the door creaked and a goblin appeared.

“What are you waiting for here, wizard?” he asked. “Today is Sunday, and Gringotts does not open Sundays!”

At first, Harry didn’t know what was the goblin talking about, but soon he remembered the structure of the days he used to follow when he was living with the Dursleys.

Harry had studied a few languages during the last four years in addition to all his work on magic. One of those was Gobbledegook, of which he had found a good book that helped you with the pronunciation and so he was able to reply to the being.

Pardon me, Master Goblin,” Harry said, surprising the other, “I have been apart from the society for many years, and I have recently received word from Hogwarts School, which I am to attend soon. I came here in search of money, and I hope that your people, who I was told by a very old wizard that are trustworthy ones, aid me.

The gobsmacked goblin opened and closed his sharp-teeth-filled mouth many times before composing himself and replying back in English.

“Sorry, Mister Wizard, for my rudeness. If you indeed have need of money in your return to Wizarding society, you have come to the right place.” And he opened the door, ushering Harry inside. “Wait here while I look for an available manager.”

“Thank you. May I ask which your name is?” Harry asked with politeness.

The goblin was surprised once more, because it was the first time he had ever heard of a non-goblin asking of the name of a goblin. “If we ever see each other again, you may call me Bladvak.”

Thank you for your help, Bladvak. If we ever see each other again, you may call me Harry Potter. May your pockets stay filled with gold,” Harry said, using the formal form of farewell among the Goblin nation.

Bladvak was left speechless again, not only for the young man’s knowledge of their language, but also for his revealed identity. Since the secret arrival of Albus Dumbledore three years ago with the keys to the Potter Trust Vault and the Potter Family Vault to be held by the Goblin Council until such time that Harry Potter arrived to the bank and claimed access to his vaults was a story that still rang around the bank tellers and the mine-dwellers, especially when one took into account the prophecy Goblin Prophets had made around the time the young Boy-Who-Lived was born…


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwr whghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg



Enter!” Chief Ragnok, the Head Manager of London’s branch of Gringotts Bank, said when someone knocked at the door with the special knock that indicated important news.

Chief Ragnok, I have important things to tell you!” Bladvak said, entering the office at a very fast pace, faster than usual on a guard that that day was in charge of watching the door that day.

What has happened to make you come here so fast?” Ragnok asked, curiously.

The One is at the door!

Ragnok dropped the quill he was writing with. “Are you sure of that?

Unless the one the wizards call the Boy-Who-Lived is not the One, then I think I am right,” Bladvak replied.

The Head Manager hesitated for a moment, and then said to the guard: “Tell me everything you can, Bladvak.

I had been watching the door until a few minutes ago when someone knocked on the door. I asked him why he wished to enter the bank and he replied — in Gobbledegook, nonetheless! — that he wanted to extract some money. He was the One without a doubt; I could see the Lightning Mark in his forehead. He actually said that he had been told by a very old wizard that goblins were trustworthy ones.

Was anybody else with Mr. Potter?

No, sir, he was completely alone!

Ragnok pondered over the meaning of those words for a few minutes and then took a decision.

Call the manager that takes care of the Potter Family Estate and bring Mr. Potter to him while I consult with the other Head Managers what I should do.

Right away, sir!” Bladvak said and ran out of the office, closing the sturdy door behind him.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrw hghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg


Ragnok saw how the guard left his office, going as fast as his short legs allowed him to. The door closed, he started to reflect on the news that had just been told to him: the One, the Lightning Bearer, had arrived to Gringotts!

Of course, he knew that Harry Potter was one of the subjects of a prophecy that had been made by a lousy Seer a few months before the boy was born: one of the clauses of the agreement that ended with the Goblin Revolution of 1436 was that, for every Prophecy the Ministry stored in their Department of Mysteries, a copy would be sent to Gringotts to be compared with any others the Goblin Prophets had made before or after that time.

The important thing about Harry Potter was that, the day of his birth, one of the Prophets had gone into a trance and had pronounced a very important prophecy that, with time, would prove to be related to the boy:

The bearer of the Lightning Mark,
Born from the Lions
And under the Lion Sign
Shall be the One
That will lead the world
Into the era of prosperity.
Five times his life shall change
For good or for worse,
But all of those times,
The world shall change too.
The first time, Darkness will strike at him.
He will lose his loved ones,
But Darkness will recede
And vanish for many years.
The second, he will disappear,
But his power shall arise,
With the help of the Ancient One
And Evil shall lose its hold.
A third time will everything change
When Darkness tries to be eternal
But the young One will stop him
After meeting Him, his worst enemy.
Darkness shall resurrect
The fourth time the One’s life change,
But with help from those who died
He will live another day.
In the end, in the final battle,
Two forces, Good and Evil, will meet,
Lead by their two commanders,
The One and the Darkness.
A brutal fight will erupt,
That will only end
When the One defeats the Darkness
And lets the Light shine.
But only if Brutes from Earth,
Creatures from Air,
Beasts of Fire
And Beings of Water
Join the One’s army
And help him find his Mate of Love
He will prevail
And live his life again.


It had been clear to all the Head Managers of Gringotts — who were the leaders of the Goblin Nation, too — that only one person fitted the whole prophecy, and that person had just arrived to their bank!

Mr. Potter’s choice of words surprised him, as well: if the old wizard he was talking about was Albus Dumbledore, surely he would have either come with him or sent someone else as an escort, and he didn’t personally know of any wizards that could be considered as very old and that trusted goblins at all: all the .

Now, if the One’s Prophecy was to be taken as the truth, then there was someone else that could have told Harry Potter about whom to trust. The only wizard that could be referred as the Ancient One could only be Prometheus, the only survivor of the disaster that befell onto Atlantis many thousands of years ago. Prometheus was one who claimed he would always trust Goblins with his secrets over many wizards, because Goblins had stricken a friendship with him. In fact, it had been Prometheus fortune (acquired over the years through his business and gladly given to Goblins upon his death) that had allowed them to start what would become the whole net of Gringotts Banks that were spread throughout the whole Magical World - except for the countries called “tax havens” by Muggles, in which the main banks were controlled by gnomes.

Ragnok also knew of the legend of the Prometheus Journal, in which the Ancient had written all his experiences with magic and all the things he had been able to do during his long life, which were many and very powerful feats, that lied in a secret chamber supposedly situated in Central Europe. If the Prophecy was true, then Harry Potter had, once more, achieved what many people thought was impossible: if, with only fifteen months, he had been able to survive the Killing Curse and defeat Lord Voldemort — whom the Goblins knew wasn’t really dead: Goblin Magic was very powerful indeed, because they could detect if someone that had business with them was really dead or not — and had been claimed as the Boy-Who-Lived by the United Kingdom magical population, what would they say if they heard that he had been able to find what no other being, either goblin or wizard, elf or phoenix, had not managed to even locate?

All that would have to be addressed later, though: first, he would have to consult the Head Council about what should be done with the subject of Harry Potter, so he turned to the special fireplace behind his desk that allowed him to contact with all the Gringotts Head Managers without fear of having eavesdroppers.

I, Ragnok, son of Tarnok, call for a meeting of Managers now!” he said after making sure his fireplace was connected to the other fireplaces in the Head Managers’ Offices in each Gringotts’ branch. Soon, the heads of the other Heads appeared in the chimney, allowing him to talk with everybody at the same time.

What is so important that you summoned all of us to a meeting, Chief Ragnok?” Grisphook, Chief of the Oceanic Branch of Gringotts asked.

The One of the Prophecy that the Great Wispon made eleven years ago has just arrived to this bank,” Ragnok said, deciding to be as blunt as possible.

Are you sure of this, Chief Ragnok? It is a very bold statement to make,” Tirnuk from Gringotts South America replied.

I am very sure of this, Chief Tirnuk,” Ragnok replied. “The guard that was watching the door told me that the boy known by Wizards as the Boy-Who-Lived, whom we call the Lightning Bearer, entered this bank in search of money, and told him that he trusted us Goblins because a very ancient wizard had told him we were reliable. Since he was alone, I believe this to be a sign that the Lightning Bearer has somehow claimed the Prometheus Journal.

Silence was the only thing that met his words.

I believe the Council had to meet so that it could decide the steps to take in this matter. Any ideas?” Ragnok asked.

It doesn’t matter what a prophecy says, I think that Goblins should not involve themselves in Wizards matters!” Slitscythe, Chief of Gringotts Egypt exclaimed.

Perhaps you believe that, but before Harry Potter defeated the Dark Lord, life for Goblins was very dangerous in Britain!” Ragnok snarled. “One could never be sure if he would survive staying out of the bank even for a few minutes! Perhaps it's your living in Egypt that doesn't allow you to see further than your insignificant nose!” The worst thing you could do to a goblin would be to insult their noses: the least hurt wizard that had done that had ended with one of his legs cut, had nearly died and if not for a group of wizards that had been able to calm the goblins, he would have been castrated.

Enough! This is the Head Council, not a mere canteen brawl!” Mackrack, President of the Council and Head of Gringotts North America shouted. “If any of you have any personal issues with others, please remind that only business can be discussed here as per the Gringotts Foundation Charter! And Slitscythe, let me remind you that when you heard the One’s Prophecy, you claimed that you believed in it! What has made you change opinions so abruptly in the last eleven years?

I’ve learnt that wizards can’t be trusted at all! They lie, they deceive and they steal! If it weren’t for the fact that our wealth depends on them, I’d say good riddance to them and would close all Gringotts’ banks!

That kind of thinking is out or order, Slitscythe!” Mackrack roared. “If you believe that kind of thing, you should also start to think on a way to get out of the banking business!

Then I ask for the dismissal of Slitscythe as Chief of Gringotts Egypt! If he isn’t able to work with wizards for profit, he is not worthy of such an important position as his!” Ragnok exclaimed.

Those in favour of the dismissal?” Mackrack asked. Many ‘Ayes’ were heard through the Floo.

Against?” No one said anything, for when the Head Council decided to dismiss one of its members, the one who was being expelled couldn’t say anything in his own favour.

Then it’s decided. Someone new will manage Gringotts Egypt from this moment on,” Mackrack said, and the connection to Slitscythe’s office was severed.

Now, onto the discussion about the wizard child. What should Gringotts do about this?” Tirnuk asked.

Since Ragnok is the one with the most knowledge about Mr. Potter, he should be the first to talk,” Mackrack sentenced.

Just then, a memo arrived to Ragnok’s MagicBox, which allowed contact between all the workers of Gringotts. The Chief retrieved it and read it: it was from the goblin that managed the Potter’s accounts…


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhgh pgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg



“So, you are telling me that I am supposed to have defeated Voldemort when I was barely one year old?” Harry asked Griphook, the Manager of the Potter Family Estate.

“Yes, sir,” Griphook said. “After your parents’ death, Albus Dumbledore was forced to place you with the Dursleys, whom I know are your relatives from your mother’s side…”

“Petunia was my mother’s sister. Vernon had no blood relation to me, and Dudley was my cousin, although not by my choice,” Harry answered with a slight bitter tone.

“Well, it means anything if you aren’t living with them anymore,” Griphook replied. “When did you leave your relatives’ home?”

“Well, if today is my eleventh birthday… that would be around four years ago, a few days before Halloween, I believe.”

“Is that true? It would be just too much of a coincidence if your disappearance didn’t happen at the same time that power shift four years ago…” Griphook told himself.

“What power shift?” Harry asked. Griphook explained all the things that had happened four years ago, when what seemed to be a simple arrest like Pettigrew’s — which Harry enjoyed, since he knew the truth about the traitor — had turned out to be one of the most massive changes in the whole British Wizarding society, ousting all the Dark Lord supporters and their protgs/bribed people from the Government and into Azkaban, which was being guarded by the awful creatures known as Dementors. Harry smiled when he got the news of his godfather being free and working at Hogwarts, meaning that he would be able to meet someone that could talk to him about his parents.

“Would you like to go over your family’s assets? I quite understand they are very big, and you may wish to do so in order to decide if any change should be brought on them,”
Griphook offered.

“Mm, no, Griphook, although I thank your offer, I believe I wouldn’t understand a thing on it. Perhaps if Sirius came with me, he would be able to explain everything, since he knew my dad and all that.”

“Perhaps,” Griphook conceded. He snapped his fingers and all the parchments on his luxurious desk flew towards the filling cabinet in the corner. That made Harry’s mind spark, remembering the problem that having all his parchments and books stored all through the house at Godric’s Hollow had caused to him.

“Isn’t storing all your documents like that a bit… thorny?”

“Yes, it is,” Griphook replied with a sneer, “but it’s the best way we know to do so. The Wizarding World, in all his infinite knowledge,” the sarcasm being evident now, “hasn’t ever been able to invent a way to improve all the parchmentwork that plagues every office from Gringotts to the Ministry.”

“Well, I don’t know if you’ll want to know about this, but I think I have a way that would solve all your problems with all the parchment, storing and information-wise.”

Griphook’s ears perked upon hearing that. Gringotts had not been given the opportunity of a venture into the Wizarding business since 1929, when Randolph Keitch and Basil Horton asked them for a loan. Their petition had been dismissed, but when the Comet Trading Company started to make money, the goblin who hadn’t given them the loan had been summarily sacked from the bank and sent to the mines in northern Germany.

“Please, tell me about this offer of yours, Mr. Potter.”

“Well, one or two years ago I started to have the same problem that you seem to have, with all my parchments and books everywhere around the house,” Harry explained. “I’m not sure if you keep in touch with the Muggle world’s technological advancements…”

“I have to say that we haven’t, Mr. Potter. You see, we tend to stay isolated from wizards and we aren’t ever seen by Muggles unless they have Wizarding relatives.”

“Well, Muggles invented in the 1950s a machine they called computer, and it allows them to do many things. One of those is that they allow the storage of many dates, and Muggle banks use a lot of them. Of course, it is possible for thieves to steal from the bank by means of using other computers, but since what I am offering you hasn’t got something similar in the world and works with magic, I think that Gringotts would be able to store all the secrets without fear of others to find them. It might also help with accountancy and the like.”

“It’s sounds good, Mr. Potter. Do you have one of those ‘computers’ you are talking about with you?”

“I fear not, Griphook. It is too big to carry on yourself, but I may be able to bring it tomorrow, if you wish so.”

“Alright, Mr. Potter,” Griphook said. “Now, I suppose that, if you have come here, it’s because you wish to take some money out and buy your school supplies. However, today the shops are closed and you won’t be able to buy anything. It may be in your better interests that you come back to your house and prepare your ‘computer’. I think the high ones would like to meet you, and if your invention is as important as you say, you could ask for a patent in our offices.”

“Thank you very much, Griphook. Which time should I be here, then?”

“Perhaps it would help you if you searched for the Clock Charm in your library, Mr. Potter. It’ll tell you the hour. As for the time, perhaps you should try to come here around 8 o’clock in the morning. Not many wizards are here at that time, and I can give you permission to access the bank through one of our Portals.”

“Portals?” Harry asked.

“Oh, it’s some Goblin magic we normally use to transport ores from the mines to the furnaces. It saves a lot of time and helps to take the big mounds the mining teams get at the end of the day. I could give you one of the ends and bring the computer through it.”

“Thank you, Griphook. I’ll make sure to pull all my personal things out of the computer. I think that you would rather store the data instead of having to read my ramblings,” Harry replied with a crooked smile, to which Griphook answered with one of his own.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrw hghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg


Griphook, who has been working as the Potter Family manager for years, has just sent me a memo about his meeting with Mr. Harry Potter. Apparently, Mr. Potter has stayed isolated from the Magical world for his whole life, and only learnt about magic about four years ago. You may remember the coup that happened at the end of that year: Cornelius Fudge was dismissed from his post of Ministry of Magic, every person suspect of being a Death Eater and even some people who, until then, had been working for the Ministry, were incarcerated; Sirius Black was freed and Peter Pettigrew, who was very much alive, was sent to prison. Griphook believes there is some connection between both of these incidents, and that they may be tied to the day Albus Dumbledore brought us the Potter Family Keys.

Has Griphook been able to hear what has Mr. Potter been doing for the last four years?” Mackrack said, totally concentrated in Ragnok’s words.

I am afraid to say that Mr. Potter didn’t share many things with Griphook, since the main body of their conversation was about the current state of things in the Wizarding world and everything that lead to it, but he has stated that he has been able to invent something that could probably raise Gringotts’ net income by many thousands or even millions of Galleons.

That caught by surprise to all the Head Council: it was a very bold suggestion to be made by a wizard, nonetheless a pre-tee wizard who had not been in his world for nearly all his life, but the fact that said pre-teen wizard was the Lightning Bearer they hoped to lead the change over the whole world, one that would turn it into a world in which every being, be it wizard or goblin, werewolf or vampire, centaur or merpeople, would be equal to every other without distinction, weighed a lot more into their minds, especially when it was coupled with the idea of higher income.

Could you explain that, Ragnok?

The goblin told the Head Council all the things Harry had explained about computers and the many possibilities those had if correctly handled by the user. To say that the Council was astonished at the sheer ability of Muggles to create such things and for a young wizard to even improve their work was just putting it mildly.

If what you are saying is true, perhaps we have done the same mistakes wizards have done for many years: ignoring the Nomag world can be perhaps one of the worst mistakes this world has ever made,” Mackrack stated. ‘Nomag’ was the name given to Muggles in North America. “The wizards here in the United States have a better understanding of Nomags than anywhere else in the world, but even American wizards and witches stay well away and separately from the Nomags. If this ‘computer’ thing Mr. Potter has talked about is really such a powerful tool, perhaps Gringotts should do a good research within the inventions the Nomag world has created.

Ragnok, I wish you to ask Griphook if he wishes to take charge as the head of a new department that will only answer to the Head Council and will deal with introducing Nomag inventions into the magical world and ask Mr. Potter if he wishes to join him as a co-head. I want every Gringotts’ wizard employee to be asked if they come from a Nomag household, and if they do you are to ask them if they wish to play a part as an advisor in the new Department for Magical Development.

The orders were met at first with astonishment at the idea of a wizard being the head of a department in the Goblins’ bank next to the goblin that was taking charge of his accounts, followed by the applause Ragnok started and the others continued: it was truly a great idea, to find many products that could be introduced in the market, allowing a bigger level of transfers to be done through Gringotts, which would give them bigger profits. That day would be marked in the future in Goblin calendars as the milestone of the changes that would herald the arrival of a new era of prosperity and equality among every being in the planet Earth.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgw rwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg


Harry worked very hard the rest of the day, but not on his magic or in his books, but in his magical computer, and more precisely on a new model of his MagMachine, one that would work even better than his first model (which he was beginning to refer as Mark I) and that was smaller so that he could transport it on his own, perhaps on a bag on his back designed to keep it from harm.

Now that Harry knew how to connect everything to make a good MagMachine, he was able to do it faster than the first time and he also knew how to build it in a better fashion. He also added a few more things he had invented after he had finished building the MagMachine, so he had to connect it through external conducts, but now he could add everything to the machine and be done with it. Of course, he would still have to keep some outer connections if he had any ideas about more things that could be connected to it.

However, Harry wasn’t able to complete the work before the day ended, but at least he had been able to create a good memo-crystal in which he stored all the data he had stored on the MagMachine Mark I in order to introduce it later in the MM Mark II. In the MM Mark I, he left a few non-important things that would help him show Griphook how it worked, like a simple Arithmancy program that could deconstruct a spell thrown to a charmed stone and reproduce the five-dimensional graphics correspondent to any spell (which was something that had taken him two weeks, but in the end he had been able to make a projection into thin air that showed the whole graphic) or the program that he had designed to write as he spoke to the stone. From the few things he knew about Goblins, Harry thought those two programs were ones they would like to have, especially if he coupled it with all the tinkers he had done through the years. The book scanner was surely going to be a hit in Gringotts!


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg


“I trust that you have had no problems with the transportation of your computer, no?” Griphook asked.

Harry shook his head. “No, I haven’t, Griphook. This portal of yours is absolutely amazing! It was just like having a walk in the park!” he said. At Griphook’s blank look, Harry felt the need to explain himself. “It’s a Muggle expression. Its meaning is that something is really easy to do.”

Griphook nodded, too, understanding what Harry was saying. “We do have our own saying about that. I believe that, roughly translated into English, it would say ‘Easier than digging on clay’.

“Perhaps you wish to start with business so that you can go on your shopping spree as soon as possible, am I correct?” Harry nodded, and Griphook grinned. “Then, please follow me. Head Manager Ragnok has taken a great interest in your project and asked me that I brought you to him when you arrived with your invention.”

Harry raised an eyebrow at hearing this, but decided to keep quiet about it. Instead, he just took his wand out and muttering Wingardium Leviosa, he made the MM float in front of him while he followed Griphook to the sturdy ebony and gold door that simply said “Head Manager Ragnok”, followed by a short sentence wrote with strange symbols that Harry thought would be the translation to Gobbledegook.

With hardly a fast knock to announce their arrival, Griphook opened the door and said, “Chief Ragnok, Harry Potter is here, as you instructed.

Very good. Bring him to the desk so that he can show us his idea,” Ragnok replied. Griphook entered the office, being followed by Harry’s computer and by Harry himself, who carefully let the MM down over the space Ragnok had made for it.

“Greetings, Mr. Potter. I hope I find you well in this morning,” Ragnok said.

Greetings, Chief Ragnok, and may your pockets fill with gold,” Harry said, bowing lightly to show his respect for the Goblin.

“I see that Bladvak wasn’t lying about your knowledge of our language,” Ragnok replied.

“I fear that I don’t know much else, Chief Ragnok. But I think that being called ‘Pickaxe’ must be a bit strange, don’t you think so?” Harry said. Ragnok chuckled.

“Must be, and I think that being called like an insect, like Mr. Dumbledore is, is even stranger.”

Harry had to laugh at that.

“Now that we have finished with the pleasantries, we should start with business talks, no?” Ragnok said.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said. “I don’t know how much Griphook has told you about this…”

“When you left, Griphook sent me a memo with all the things you told him about computers, and I shared it with the rest of the Head Council, who is by the way very interested in your invention if it’s able to provide such margin of incoming as you told Griphook.”

“Yes. If you let me, I could start to show you the workings of my MM.”

“Of course, Mr. Potter, please start doing so.”

Harry turned the MM on and started to show the Head Manager of Gringotts London the intricacies of working with a keyboard, a mouse and the simplest things.

Taking the round stone that served as a microphone, Harry said, “I’m sure this thing will interest you. It writes on the computer what you want it to write,” and, as Harry was talking, those words were written one by one in a very stylish handwriting that could pass as a perfect scribe’s one.

“And does this stone really catch anybody’s voice and writes it?” Ragnok asked, and then saw that his voice had been caught by the stone and the computer had written what he had said.

“As you have seen, yes,” Harry replied with a smile. He put the stone aside and took the bar that ‘read’ books and stored them into the memory. “If you could give me some document, I could show you how this thing works.”

Intrigued, Griphook gave him a parchment in which he had been taking notes on the workings of the MM and Harry put it under the bar. In a matter of seconds, the document appeared in the MM’s screen, which surprised both Goblins.

“Although I knew your idea had a lot of potential, Mr. Potter, it is now when I realise how much this will change the structure in Gringotts. Being able to store all those documents without any problem for size, but perhaps it would be slow to make the artefact read each page on its own.”

Harry’s smile turned a bit wicked. “I believe that that is not worth getting worried about. Could I take one of those books of yours, so that I can show you this function?”

Ragnok wished to see the other things Harry had managed to do, so he handed him a thick book on the engineering of mines and artificial caves — something that he had been interested in as a youngster — and Harry put the scanning bar over it. The bar gleamed and seemed to disappear into the old book, but in a few seconds it went back up and shone with a furious red that gradually turned down as the MM started to absorb all the information contained in the book. Harry pointed to something and all the pages of the book were laid out on the screen.

“This idea was one of the most important I had, because it allowed me to store all the books in my private library in the same place. That way, I am able to access any book I wish to consult without having to fumble through the whole library.

“But there is still one last thing that, although it may not interest you at first, it could be potentially important. Look at this,” Harry said, casting a simple Stunner at the stone that generated the magical graphics. Immediately, the graphic Harry knew so well from having studied it so many times appeared into thin air, wholly surprising the Goblins, who hadn’t been expecting such a display.

“Impressing, Mr. Potter. If I may ask what this represents…”

“No problem. This is an approximate representation of the effects a Stunning spell, based on a theory I developed while I was at my parents’ house about magic and its true causes, something that explains why there are people that can do magic and people that can’t. I’ve been able to make some progress to answer the true nature of magic and why can some people interact with it and others can’t.”

“Every time I think you couldn’t impress me more, you come up with something even more surprising,” Ragnok said, honestly. “Mr. Potter, I think that I am in liberty to say that Gringotts is very interested in acquiring your computer for a big quantity, and if you register the patent in Gringotts’ Register, you are very on the way to be very rich, although I hold to know that you are already very rich, from what Griphook has told me.”

Harry nodded.

“Mr. Potter, how much would you like to be an advisor to Gringotts Bank?” Ragnok said, changing matters.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghp gwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg


Minerva McGonagall was a very proper witch, something that came from her Scottish upbringing in a medium-sized house fifty kilometres to the north from Hogwarts. Her father, a gentle person at home yet imposing when out of it, had taught her how to show determination and to use her look to keep any undesired person at bay, something she had perfected over the years and nowadays used to keep her pupils in silence while she gave them lectures over the subject of Transfiguration, which had been her favourite one since she started going to Hogwarts, when the Transfiguration Professor was the handsome Albus Dumbledore, on whom many girls her age — including her — and older ones had a crush back then.

However, the woman who was currently running towards the gargoyle in the seventh floor of Hogwarts that held the Headmaster’s office didn’t look a lot like the Scottish witch, with the hair that was usually tied up in a bun completely loose and slightly frizzled with the humidity that, even in the middle of summer, inhabited the air within the castle. Her robe wasn’t better looking, especially after Peeves dropped an ink pellet over her: the lack of reaction from the Deputy Headmistress had left the poltergeist completely stunned, because he ALWAYS managed to elicit at least some shouts from the old woman. Unfortunately, he decided that if McGonagall hadn’t shouted at him was because he wasn’t trying hard enough, so he just took flight and went around the place, trying to find someone more to torment, mainly the caretaker, Argus Filch.

Minerva finally reached the entrance and, muttering the password — ‘Ice Mice’ — she entered the room.

“Good morning, Minerva. What does have you so excited?” Albus asked. McGonagall didn’t say anything, but she gave him the letter she had just received. The Headmaster looked at it and smiled in happiness.

“Finally. Now we can be sure Harry has been living at Godric’s Hollow since he left the Dursleys,” Dumbledore said with twinkling eyes. “And he’ll come to Hogwarts, too. Sirius is going to be really happy to hear this.”

“Why don’t you call him then? He is dying to hear about his godson since he was released from Azkaban,” McGonagall replied with a smile and opened the door to come back to her office.

While she was coming downstairs, she couldn’t help but grin in delight when she heard a yelp of pure bliss from behind Albus’ door.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwr whghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg



BOY-WHO-LIVED SPOTTED AT DIAGON ALLEY!
Special Correspondent Nick Haydyn


It’s been ten years since the last time we ever heard of Harry James Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, and the sad night of James and Lily Potter’s death to the hand of You-Know-Who, which hasn’t been forgotten by the Wizarding population. Ten years since that hectic Halloween day in which all of us were able to breathe once more with calm after the great sacrifice that this event supposed for the then toddler. During these years, many people have been dying to see the saviour of our world again among us, and some have actually seen him while he was either travelling or shopping with his relatives. However, after the great political shake up of four years ago, in which many former supporters of You-Know-Who — like the prominent pureblood Lucius Malfoy, who had evaded incarceration thanks to huge expenses of money in bribes to Cornelius Fudge — and corrupt members of the Ministry — the aforementioned former Ministry Cornelius Fudge and his Under Secretary Dolores Umbridge — were sent to Azkaban after the discovery of the truth behind the Black Massacre — being it that Sirius Black was completely innocent of all the crimes he had been accused of, having been framed by his former friend Peter Pettigrew —, no word has been heard of the young saviour of the British Wizarding World.

Sirius Black was supposed to have taken young Harry as it is within his rights as Godfather and appointed legal guardian by the elder Potters, but apparently he disappeared from his relatives’ house a few months before the Ministry sweep-up started and changed everything. Those who might know the truth about his disappearance have stayed tight-lipped even now.

However, yesterday in the morning many people who had gone to Diagon Alley — Hogwarts’ students buying school supplies for the upcoming year, mothers buying clothes at the shops and scholars interested in the newest books — were surprised when they saw young Mr. Potter walking out of Gringotts Bank and shopping around like many of his future schoolmates were doing at the moment.

“He was really polite,” says Madam Malkin, owner of Madam Malkin’s Robes For All Occasions. “He entered the shop and asked for a whole wardrobe for Hogwarts. He was a bit small for his age, I say, I’ve seen many young boys his age and he was smaller than them, but one could feel his power coming from him and he treated all my girls and I in a very nice way. He didn’t even complain when I pricked him with one of my needles, he said that I needn’t apologize as it was just an accident.”

“Very curious, that young man,” says Oliver Blotts, shopkeeper at Flourish & Blotts Bookshop. “I still remember when Lily Evans came to our shop for the first time: those emerald green eyes of hers were really shining with pleasure when she saw all of our stock. Her parents had to forcibly remove her from here before she tried to buy more books than the ones in the list!” he laughs. “I have one photograph of James and Lily in one of my books, so when Harry opened the door, I realised it was him. He really looks a lot like his father, but his eyes… they were emerald green and they were shining exactly like Lily’s did so many years ago. And he really is his mother’s son, because he took a good part of the books in my store!”

During the day, many people saw Harry go from shop to shop, buying his supplies. However, no one ever saw him go near Ollivander’s, the only wand-maker in the whole England, so this arises a series of new questions: Where has Harry Potter been living all these years? Who has been taking care of him? Has he been able to talk with any wand-makers somewhere else abroad?

But no matter what the answer to these questions is, we only want to say something: Welcome back, Harry Potter.



hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwh ghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwh g


The last month of summer rolled over at a heightened speed, and before Harry noticed, it was September 1st, the first day of his new life at Hogwarts, which he had been awaiting with anxiety — he knew about it because he had bought a calendar and had been crossing all the days on it.

Before going out of the house in which he had been living for the last four years, he had a look at all the rooms in there. He would especially miss his bedroom and his potions lab, because he had had much fun and joy in both rooms, but he would surely miss even the bathroom.

Finally, he made sure that he had everything he needed on his trunk: clothes, check; books, check; Potions ingredients, check; MagMachine, check; gadgets for the MagMachine, check; owl treats for Hedwig, check…

When he noticed that all his personal effects would stay in his trunk, Harry closed the lid, reduced the trunk to a size that would allow him to take it on his pocket, and closed his eyes, concentrating: ‘Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hogwarts…

With a small ‘POP’, Harry disappeared from Godric’s Hollow.


hpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpg wrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhghpgwrwhg



I think that this is the part in which I start to make explanations about why so much time has passed since the last update and many other things. First of all, I am really sorry, but I am really busy studying my exams and don’t have much time to steal to my study time, but I still work as hard as I can on this story and on Harry Potter and the Unexpected Visitor. I hope that you don’t hate me for this.

In other order of things, many people — even the managers of the page! — have been asking when Ginny Weasley will appear in Harry’s life. She is bound to meet Harry the day after Halloween, but I won’t say why, I don’t want to spoil the beans right now! *grin*.

Finally, if you ask me ‘When will next chapter be updated?’ I’ll have to answer ‘I don’t know, but I’ll try to make it as soon as possible’. University life is really stressful when you double as an amateur writer — and considering that I am using the background other person invented… However, I won’t leave this story unless I feel forced to do so, so don’t worry about that!

EDIT: This chapter of the story was temporarily erased by the managers of the site (Sir Ollivander) because the scene in the bank among the goblin Chief Managers was very similar to that in Jeconais' "This Means War". I admit to using it as a model, but when Sir Ollivander told me this problem, I sent an e-mail to the author and he gave me permission to use that scene without a problem. Sorry for any problem this may have caused you.
Reviews 209
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear