Search:

SIYE Time:14:58 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Personal Eclipse
By DebbieO

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:All
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 12
Summary: Losing Ginny was like a personal eclipse. Everything good and right danced beyond his grasp. He'd shut her out to keep her safe, but keeping her safe was not in his power.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4455



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I've had this story on my computer for a while. I reread, edited and decided to post it. A one-shot.




ChapterPrinter


A Personal Eclipse

Harry left without saying goodbye.

He and Ginny spent the week prior to Bill and Fleur’s wedding dancing around the shattered remnants of their friendship. Ron raged at him, Hermione pleaded with him, and Ginny…Ginny tolerated him.

She was full of mischief: imitating Fleur, teasing her brothers, and laughing freely. Her bright smile, ginger hair and warm brown eyes were everywhere he looked. Harry watched her intently; trying to memorize the sound of her voice, her laugh…to keep images of her like mental photographs. The precious moments slipped too quickly through his fingers. He had no idea how much he would learn to regret not speaking–how things left unsaid would haunt him.

Bill and Fleur exchanged their vows amidst fairy lights in the garden. Harry thought Fleur looked beautiful until his gaze found Ginny. He gasped and Ron chuckled at the expression on his face.

“She looks good, eh, mate?”

Harry flushed and nodded. He didn’t trust himself to speak.

Later, he watched Ginny dance with her father from his position in the shadows. Ron and Hermione were dancing near them. He toyed with the idea of asking Ginny for a dance, but he was afraid he would be unable to let her go.

The moment consumed him. He ached to hold her. Her smiles and laughter hurt him, but even worse was the polite attention she gave him when circumstances forced them to speak. He wondered how she felt. Was her playfulness feigned, or was she free of him?

Losing Ginny was like a personal eclipse. Everything good and right danced beyond his grasp. All that remained was his miserable destiny to kill or be killed. He longed to stay and leave at the same time–to be free of the exquisite torture of being so near, yet so far from the girl he loved.

Love? Yes, love. I love her. Harry felt a curious surge of joy and pain at the thought. He had not known much love, and almost all that he had known came from the people surrounding him. His resolve to protect them grew as he watched them enjoy this happy occasion.

He had a hope…a small one. Ginny waited for him before. Would she wait again? Would she dare to dream that he’d return? He prayed she would, but felt he had no right to ask.

In the early hours of the morning, Harry, Ron and Hermione Apparated away from the Burrow and began their quest. Ron left a note, explaining that they were acting on Dumbledore’s last instruction.

Months later, Harry lay on his cot in the wizard tent he shared with his friends. Ron and Hermione were taking a walk. They needed time alone. He did as well. The horcrux hunt had been terrible; all of them sustaining serious injuries as they systematically destroyed fragments of Voldemort’s soul.

There were only two left–then Harry would face Voldemort. It couldn’t happen too soon. Voldemort had routed the ministry and was destroying all who refused to acknowledge his supremacy. The resistance was in hiding, breaking out in battle occasionally, trying to regain control.

The Weasleys were missing. Harry hoped they were hiding. He couldn’t bear to imagine the alternative.

For the millionth time he berated himself. He’d left Ginny behind to keep her safe, terrified that his affection would make her a target. What a fool. She was in as much danger now as she would have been with him–maybe more.

What if she dies? What if I die? What if I never get to tell her…

He couldn’t think that way. He would win, she would live and he would tell her…as soon as he possibly could. The only thing to do was fight. He would fight for Ginny.

Several weeks passed, along with another horcrux. They were in the ruins of Hogsmeade when they stumbled across people they trusted enough to ask for news. Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan were scouring abandoned shops to feed the resistance.

“Dean? Seamus?” Ron asked. His voice was a hoarse whisper.

“Ron? Harry…Hermione!” The friends hugged and slapped one another, laughing quietly together once they had confirmed identities.

“Do you…have you seen any of my family?” Ron asked.

Dean and Seamus looked significantly at each other. Seamus cleared his throat and said, “Aye, mate. Come with us.”

Harry had a horrible ache in his stomach. Something was wrong; he could feel it.

Ron sensed it too. He stopped walking, his face like chalk. “Mate…please. Tell me. I don’t think I’ll make it wherever we’re going if I don’t know.”

Dean inhaled sharply and turned to look at Ron, pain evident in every feature. “Okay, then,” he bit out sharply, placing his hand on Ron’s shoulder and looking him straight in the eyes. “I wish I had better news, mate. Your father and brothers are with us. Your mother and Ginny were taken captive two weeks ago. The Death Eaters are forcing women to serve in their hospitals, so your mother should be fine. We’re worried about Ginny, though. With her past…” Dean looked apologetic. “We just don’t know.”

Harry felt as though someone had carved his heart out. He barely heard Ron’s anguished moan; he was only vaguely aware of Seamus guiding him onward.

Ginny’s gone…he has her… I may never see her again…

Harry appeared to listen to the details of the capture of the girl he loved and the woman who was the closest thing to a mother he’d ever known, but he couldn’t take it in. His mind was frozen in terror. He had to find them–nothing else mattered.

The Weasleys and Hermione tried to convince Harry that the best way to save Ginny and Molly was to keep fighting Voldemort–to accomplish their mission. The other Weasleys would find them. Harry needed to focus on his mission.

Harry knew they were right when he considered the situation logically, but he couldn’t deny his feelings anymore. He had pushed Ginny away to protect her, so he could rid the world of Voldemort. And for what? Ginny might die, Voldemort might be hurting her…she doesn’t even know I care. No! I won’t do it again. To hell with Voldemort and the rest of the world–I’m going to find Ginny and never let her go.

Harry, Ron and Hermione disappeared before daylight. Ron left another note saying that they were embarking on a rescue mission and would be in touch.

They Apparated outside a camp near the partially ruined storefront that was the entrance to St. Mungo’s. They had a plan. Hermione consumed one of Fred and George’s Fainting Fancies and collapsed into Ron’s arms. They were well disguised and hoped that by seeking treatment for Hermione they would be able to gain entrance to the compound.

They approached the barbed-wire gate and begged for assistance. A witch took Hermione from Ron and levitated her to a bed. After checking her vitals and determining that she was in no immediate danger, the witch said, “Why don’t you wait by her bed while she rests. I wish I could tell you that a healer will be with you soon, but as you can see, there are many more seriously injured patients for them to attend.”

Ron and Harry were secretly pleased to wait. They used the time to scan the crowds of witches, desperately searching for a shock of red hair or a familiar face. After about an hour, Harry saw Hestia Jones. He knew she knew Mrs. Weasley. He nudged Ron and whispered that he was going to question her.

“Mrs. Jones?” he whispered, gesturing as if he were asking her about Hermione.

“Yes?” she answered, raising her eyebrows as she observed his attempt at diversion.

“You know me, but I’m in disguise,” he whispered. “I’m looking for Mrs. Weasley. Have you seen her? I’m here on behalf of her family.”

Harry motioned toward Hermione and loudly asked, “When will a healer be able to look at my friend?”

Hestia Jones’ face softened and she answered, “It will be a while, son. We’re doing the best we can. Let me make sure she’s comfortable.”

“Thank you, Ma’am,” he replied. He hoped their performance was convincing.

Hestia Jones kept her attention focused on Hermione as she whispered to Ron and Harry. “Molly is here. She’s safe. She’s doing good work, serving the injured on both sides of the war. She will not leave, despite having been taken against her will.”

Harry and Ron let out huge sighs of relief. Then Harry said, “What about Ginny?”

Hestia Jones frowned and whispered, “Ginny was never brought here. Molly thinks the Death Eaters took her to…He Who Must Not Be Named…something about him using her before and her being important to Harry Potter.”

Harry blanched. His worst fear had become reality. Ron grabbed his arm to steady him.

“Thank you, Mrs. Jones,” Ron whispered. “Do you have any idea where He Who Must Not Be Named is hiding?”

“No…I really can’t say. Please, I must get back to work before anyone suspects. Can I give Molly a message?”

“Yes. Tell her that her family is proud of her. We love her. We’re going to do all we can to help my sister.”

“You’re a good boy…Ron,” she whispered.

“How did you know?” he asked, surprised.

“I didn’t,” she replied, “it was a hunch. I believe I know your companion as well, but I won’t mention his name. It’s too dangerous. I pray your efforts are successful.”

With that, Hestia pointed her wand at Hermione and said, “Ennervate.”

Hermione's body jerked, but she remained unconscious. "Here, you need to give her this," Ron whispered.

Hestia administered the antidote and Hermione opened her eyes. Hermione gratefully accepted the Pepper Up potion she offered as well.

“Get out of here as quickly as you can,” she added, bustling away.

Harry was going mad. He saw Ginny everywhere. He dreamed of her at night, and his scar seared constantly. No amount of Occlumency could prevent it…his emotions were out of control.

Ron stepped up to lead them, utilizing his superior strategic abilities and his cooler head. He drew on their knowledge of Voldemort’s previous hiding places and information that Harry was able to trick and bully out of Death Eaters and unscrupulous sorts. Hermione fretted about Harry and his tactics.

“Harry, you can’t keep this up. You’ll end up as bad as a Death Eater. Ginny wouldn’t want that!” she shouted.

Harry didn’t reply, but he knew she was right. He was desperate. He had to find Ginny quickly. If he didn’t, he would lose himself anyway.

At last, they had answers. It was dusk, three weeks after their meeting with Hestia Jones when Harry and Ron entered the tunnel beneath Honeydukes in an attempt to enter Hogwarts–Voldemort’s new center of operations. They left Hermione in Hogsmeade with the Weasleys. They felt fewer numbers were safer, and Hermione could help the others come after them if they didn’t return.

Surprisingly, they had no trouble in the passage. Harry guessed that Voldemort must be unaware of its existence. Listening through extendable ears gave them some reassurance as they disillusioned themselves, and exited the One Eyed Witch statue into an empty corridor.

A tidal wave of despair washed over Harry as he looked around. Evil oozed from the familiar stone walls of the castle he loved–the place he had felt most at home. Voldemort’s presence poisoned the air.

There wasn’t a moment to lose. Ron and Harry ran through the halls, stopping to listen at doors along the way. They avoided Death Eaters, and headed toward the entrance to the Headmaster’s office.

They crouched nearby, waiting for someone to come…hoping they could overhear the password and gain entrance. They planned to sneak inside, where they might hear something that would reveal Ginny’s whereabouts or well being. They didn’t have to wait long.

Harry’s heart suddenly leapt into his throat. Two Death Eaters were approaching the gargoyle with Ginny. She walked calmly and purposefully between them, looking at nothing.

The Imperius Curse, Harry realized. Ginny’s clothes hung on her emaciated frame. Harry could see scratches and bruises all over her exposed skin and her hair was wild and tangled. He clenched his fists in fury, while his heart pounded with longing.

“Infinitus potestas,” said the Death Eater, and the gargoyle sprang to life. Harry and Ron slipped through behind Ginny and her captors.

The change in Dumbledore’s office shocked Harry. There was nothing left of his former headmaster’s tenure. A lavish display of Slytherin silver and green assaulted his senses. There were snakes everywhere, living and statuary. Voldemort sat above them in the center of the room, floating on an elaborate onyx and silver throne. Harry’s head throbbed and he swayed with pain. He forced himself to stand, to concentrate. He and Ron had to get Ginny out of here.

“Hello, Miss Weasley,” Voldemort said silkily, lowering his throne to the floor. “Finite Incantatem.”

Ginny’s eyes cleared and she glared at Voldemort.

“How are you today, dear?” Voldemort asked, feigning concern.

“Don’t call me that,” she hissed.

“But, Ginny…we were close, once...” His voice was mocking, teasing.

“I remember, Tom,” she replied, sarcastically emphasizing the “Tom,” and smirking haughtily at him.

Harry felt a rush of pride as Ginny stared the monster down.

“Don’t call me by that name!” Voldemort thundered, rising and slithering toward her.

“Why not? It’s your name.” Ginny crossed her arms defiantly.

“You know very well what I am called now,” he replied in a tone that chilled Harry’s blood. “Crucio!”

Ginny fell on the floor screaming wildly. Harry thought he would die on the spot.

Voldemort lifted the curse after a moment, leaving Ginny panting on the floor. “He will not come for you, Ginny. He doesn’t love you. You know I can see into his mind, just as I can see into yours.”

“You know nothing about Harry Potter!” Ginny screamed hoarsely between gasps. “He will find you and you will lose.”

Voldemort laughed mirthlessly for several minutes. Then his voice changed. In a falsely comforting and sympathetic tone he insisted, “He doesn’t care about you Ginny, not like I do. He took his friends with him. He left you behind.”

Tears rolled down Ginny’s cheeks as she shook her head and trembled. “He was protecting me.” Her voice had become an uncertain whisper.

Harry’s heart wrenched. He could feel Ginny’s fear, her doubt. It was all he could do to remain hidden. Only the knowledge that his appearance would mean death for them all restrained him.

Voldemort laughed. “Of course that is what he would say, Ginny. You know how fond he is of playing the hero. You will see that I am right, in time,” he insisted. His gaze bore into hers and Harry saw her shudder violently. Harry suspected that Voldemort had used Legilimency to reinforce his verbal assault. He wanted to tear the sneer off Voldemort’s snakelike face with his bare hands.

“Take her away,” he ordered the guards.

“Imperio,” muttered the guard. Ginny rose to do his bidding, all personality erased with the word.

“That scene should draw our little hero out of hiding,” Voldemort said laughing quietly to himself. His expression was a hateful combination of greed and loathing. Harry caught his breath and focused desperately on his Occlumency, fearing Tom might become aware of his presence now that he was unoccupied.

Harry’s legs barely supported him as he and Ron slipped out behind Ginny and her guards and followed them back down the passageway. He became desperate as he realized their destination was Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom. They’ve been keeping her in the Chamber. Horror consumed him. He wouldn’t wait another moment. He tapped Ron to signal that it was time.

Harry and Ron easily stupefied the guards and bound them. Harry opened the Chamber using Parseltongue and he and Ron took pleasure in dropping them down the chute. Harry disillusioned Ginny and he and Ron marched her out of the castle, gently guiding her along. Their forms were no more than a glimmer as they walked to Hogsmeade in silence. Harry was afraid to remove the curse until they were safe, so Ginny marched compliantly along.

They returned to the resistance hideout and convinced Mr. Weasley to let them enter. Harry released Ginny from the curse and she collapsed into her father’s arms, unconscious.

The Weasleys, Harry and Hermione worked tirelessly to heal Ginny with the spells they knew. Her body was battered, but Harry was more concerned about her mind. Everything was done that could be done without a healer. There were none available to the resistance without surrender or deception, and any attempt to get help would risk putting Ginny back into Voldemort’s hands.

Harry didn’t leave her side. He held her hand and talked to her endlessly, sleeping in a chair beside her when he slept at all. There seemed to be no physical reason for her lack of consciousness. Harry suspected Voldemort had damaged her mind with Legilimency and psychological torture.

“Ginny,” he whispered. “I’m so sorry. I never should have left you. I wanted to protect you, but nothing I did mattered in the end. Voldemort took you and hurt you. He could have killed you…” Harry’s voice trailed off in tears. “I love you, Ginny. I always have. I won’t ever leave you again.”

Days went by with no change. Harry began to fear that Ginny would never wake, but he kept talking. He told her stories, relived memories and shared his feelings in a way he never had before.

Hermione spent her days scouring the library, desperate to help. One day, when Harry had nearly talked himself hoarse, she bounded into the room, her face glowing with hope. Harry was so startled he nearly fell out of his chair.

“Hermione, you scared me. What is it?” he asked, catching his breath as he took in her expression.

“Harry, I think I’ve found a way to help Ginny,” she said breathlessly. “See this spell?” she handed him the book. “It’s a way to communicate with a loved one’s heart. It has been used on coma and catatonic patients with good results.”

“Do they wake up?” he asked, his voice cracking. He was almost afraid to hope, but he grasped at Hermione’s idea eagerly.

“Sometimes. Sometimes the result is just a sense of peace, but patients have awakened. It depends upon how badly the person is injured and how much they want to improve.”

“I’ll do anything.”

“I know.” Hermione hugged Harry and kissed his cheek. “We all will.”

“Now, I’ll cast the spell and you start sharing your heart with Ginny, just the way you have been all along. The spell should help your words reach her at a subconscious level. She loves you, Harry. If she can come back to you, she will.”

“I hope you’re right. Let’s do it.”

“Amor sermo,” Hermione incanted, waving her wand.

“Ginny, it’s Harry,” he said huskily. “You’re safe now. We brought you back to Hogsmeade. Your father and brothers are all here–they’re safe too. Your mum is fine, she’s working at St. Mungo’s. Hermione’s here, too. She found a spell that should help you hear me.”

“Ginny, I was there. I heard what he said to you, but he was lying. I love you. I only left you to keep you safe. I was so stupid. If you come back to me I’ll never leave you again.” Harry couldn’t speak around his tears for a moment. “Please come back to me Ginny. I can’t do this without you. Nothing means anything if I lose you.”

Harry looked at Ginny’s face and thought he saw a change in color. “Do you hear me, Gin? Keep fighting. Listen to my voice and follow it back.”

He took a deep breath. Hope was making him dizzy, he had to think, to keep talking. “Remember our first kiss? I entered the common room so depressed after Snape’s detention. I was afraid we’d lost the match. I never told you this, but I was afraid that you might get back together with Dean too. Then I saw you running toward me…I’ve never seen anything more beautiful than the way you looked at that moment. Your eyes were flaming with determination and that hair…have I ever told you how much I love your hair?” Harry paused to stroke it and kiss her forehead. “I do. It’s the warmest color I’ve ever seen.”

“You know, I first realized I was attracted to you in Slughorn’s class. Well, actually, it was after class. He had brewed Amortentia. Hermione said she smelled grass and parchment and something that I now know must have reminded her of Ron…she was so embarrassed. It was funny…”

“I smelled flowers. I remembered smelling them at the Burrow before, but I wasn’t sure what it was. Later that day you stopped to yell at me about obeying the handwritten instructions in the Prince’s Potions book, and I smelled it again. It was you!”

“That woke me up. You have always been special to me. You were the first girl that ever seemed to like me…you know? I’ve liked you since I watched you chase the train my first year.”

“Remember that day in the library when you brought me the Easter Egg? I thought Madam Pince was going to kill us!” Harry laughed softly. “I can’t tell you how much our talk that day meant to me. I hadn’t told anyone why I was upset and I didn’t dream you would be able to help me, but you did. I was lower than I’d ever been and you gave me hope. But now…this…Ginny…please, you have to wake up.” Harry coughed quietly, trying to overcome the emotion that was welling up in him again.

“Still, it wasn’t until sixth year that I knew. You were always in my thoughts. I hated Dean Thomas that year...”

He laughed again and continued, “I’ll never forget the day Ron and I caught you kissing Dean in the secret passage. I stood between you and Ron, but I was cheering him on inside. I wanted to rip Dean limb from limb and kiss you myself. If I hadn’t been distracted by trying to stop you and your brother from killing each other, I might have done it too.”

Harry examined Ginny again. She was breathing deeply, steadily. Her face was more relaxed than he’d seen it since they escaped Hogwarts. He almost thought he saw a hint of a smile. His heart surged with hope.

“Then, after Dumbledore…you know…I don’t think I would have left his side if you hadn’t come. You have a way of reaching me when no one else can. You were my best comfort when he died. I hated leaving you. If I hadn’t had you to dream of, to hope for…Gin, I wouldn’t be here. I’ve been living, breathing and fighting for you.”

“I meant what I said. If you come back to me, I’ll never leave you again. I love you and I need you. If you leave me now, the whole wizarding world will suffer because I don’t think I have a prayer of winning without you.”

“Please come back, Gin…please…” Harry found himself choked with tears again. He lifted her small limp hand to his lips, wiping his tears with his other hand as he kissed her. When he could see, he was astonished to discover that her eyes were open and tears were rolling down her cheeks as well.

“Harry,” she whispered, turning her head to look into his eyes.

“Gin…” He couldn’t breathe.

“I love you, too.”

The eclipse was over. In that moment, Harry knew. He knew Voldemort would lose. He was going to live and be with Ginny. They would be free to love each other, to build a family…

There was no need to say goodbye.

Reviews 12
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear