Search:

SIYE Time:0:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Dance
By DebbieO

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 7
Summary: He leads me to where others are dancing under the moonlight and pulls me into his strong, warm arms. I sigh with quiet contentment as I lay my head against his chest, breathing his scent mixed with the sweet aroma of dying roses. The world melts away to the beat of his heart.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4113



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work. The song, The Dance, belongs to Garth Brooks. No copyright infringement is intended.



Author's Notes:
I was inspired by a Garth Brooks' song, The Dance, and decided to try my hand at a songfic. I hope you enjoy this little bit of Harry/Ginny fluff.




ChapterPrinter


The Dance

The wedding has been a noisy affair. Of course, all Weasley gatherings are noisy affairs, so that comes as no surprise. Bill and Fleur are married now. Phlegm was glorious, of course. Bill was roguishly handsome, despite his scars. If anything, they make him sexier…more dangerous looking. Mum would kill me for thinking like that. Good thing she can’t read minds…err, at least I don’t think she can.

Mum has had me flitting about the reception with food and drink. I’ve posed in at least a million pictures, smiling grotesquely in my hideously uncomfortable frilly gold dress robes. A man must have designed them–no woman would ever think of putting lace in such places. If I didn’t know better, I’d think Fred and George had pulled one of their itching powder pranks.

I’ve danced with my father and all my brothers…with everyone, except…

“May I have this dance?” Harry asks, interrupting my reverie.

My body trembles as his breath tickles my ear. His voice is husky. Oh sweet Merlin, yes! I wasn’t sure Harry would dance with me. He’s barely spoken to me since the funeral.

I turn and nod wordlessly at him, fighting to keep tears of relief from my eyes. My heart cries, “This dance? You can have them all.”

He leads me to where others are dancing under the moonlight and pulls me into his strong, warm arms. I sigh with quiet contentment as I lay my head against his chest, breathing his scent mixed with the sweet aroma of dying roses. The world melts away to the beat of his heart. I am his and he is mine. We have all we need right here in this moment.

Looking back, on the memory of
The dance we shared, beneath the stars above
For a moment, all the world was right
How could I have known, you'd ever say goodbye…


“You look beautiful,” he whispers. His honest green gaze affirms the statement.

A rush of love for Fleur and hideously uncomfortable frilly gold dress robes floods my being. I smile sweetly. “Thanks, Harry.”

“So, did you notice Ron and Hermione?”

“Of course,” I giggle. “It’s about time, too. I just hope the filthy hypocrite will maintain some sense of decorum. I’ve seen enough of him thrashing around with Lavendar to last a lifetime. I don’t think Hermione would allow it though.”

“I don’t know,” Harry says with a wry smile. “I walked in on them in the sitting room a while ago. The resemblance to eels was uncanny.”

I shudder. I can’t help it. I’m glad my brother is finally after the right girl, but I don’t need details…

Harry pulls me close again, laughing at my response. We fit perfectly together. My horror of Ron’s love life evaporates as we sway comfortably to the music. I wish I could stay here, in Harry’s arms, forever.

“Ginny,” he whispers toward the end of the song. “We’re leaving tonight. I…I don’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t know when…or if…we’ll be back.” His voice is shaking. I can feel his fear…his despair.

“Shh,” I whisper, gently stopping him. “You will be back, Harry. I know it.” I look directly at him, willing him to believe that he can win, that he will come home, that I will be here when he does…

He’s silent for a moment as we continue to dance, his eyes locked with mine. Then he says words I have never wanted to hear from him. Words I hate as they tumble from his lips. “I’m so sorry, Ginny.”

And now I'm, glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives, are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance…


“What are you sorry for?” I ask, swallowing hard. His green eyes are bright with unshed tears. I feel my eyes growing moist as well.

“For…for getting you involved in all this,” he replies, closing his eyes to hide from my gaze. “For hurting you…”

Holding you, I held everything
For a moment, wasn't I the king
But if I'd only known, how the king would fall
Hey, who's to say, you know I might have changed it all…


I stop dancing, and lead him away from the others by the hand. He seems reluctant, almost frightened by my silence.

When I’m sure we won’t be overheard, I stop and turn to face him. “Harry, I want you to make me a promise.”

He looks even more nervous now, but he nods cautiously, waiting for me to continue.

Taking both of his hands in mine, I look into his eyes and say, “Promise me that you will never apologize for being part of my life again.”

He looks surprised. “I…I…what do you mean?”

“I mean that I’m glad you are in my life, I’m grateful for all we’ve shared. Don’t ever tell me you’re sorry again.”

And now I'm, glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives, are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance…


He looks unsure, so I continue.

“I treasure every memory I have of you…of us…and I will forever. You have brought me so much joy: you saved my life first year, you were kind to me when I was a bumbling little idiot, you became my friend, then my boyfriend. Don’t you know how glad I am that you’re here? That you asked me to dance? That you care so much about me that you’ll do anything to protect me? Harry, I love you-”

He interrupts me with his kiss. It starts hard and passionate, but melts into slow, deep and gentle. My heart pounds; my head spins. He loves me! I feel it in his touch, in his lips, in the beating of his heart…it’s intoxicating. I could fly.

Holding you, I held everything
For a moment, wasn't I the king
But if I'd only known, how the king would fall
Hey, who's to say, you know I might have changed it all…


The warm summer breeze caresses us as we embrace. The music from the wedding wafts down in a distorted, haunting way. “May I have this dance, Ginny?” he asks.

This time I speak my heart. “You can have them all.”

The brilliance of his smile is my reward.

And now, I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives, are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance…


We spend the rest of the night dancing under the stars. I watch him Disapparate with my brother and my best friend in the pale light of dawn. I have no regrets as I watch him go–because we danced.

Yes, my life, is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain, but I'd of had to miss the dance…



Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear