Search:

SIYE Time:11:03 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Desirable Number One
By viaaurelia1310

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 13
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Harry and Ginny have a little heart to heart after the Battle of Hogwarts. Can they continue after a year apart, despite Harry's doubts?
Hitcount: Story Total: 6429



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Desirable Number One

Realization came slowly as he made his way to the grounds. He, Ron and Hermione had just come from Dumbledore’s office and intended to go to his tomb by the lake, to replace the wand. Strange, how he still thought of the room as Dumbledore’s office, though he had been dead for a year now. He smiled to himself. Perhaps he really was still around, as long as people were still loyal to him.

 

Harry himself still felt unsure of his feelings towards his mentor. He had, like Snape had put it, been raised like a pig for slaughter. He had been supposed to die at the right moment. Merely a tool in a greater plan. He hadn’t died, though. He was still rather unsure why. Not that he complained.

 

He was still utterly overwhelmed by all that had happened, Snape’s story, the revelation that he must die, the intricate plans of Dumbledore and his past, and he was definitely overwhelmed by his own death… well, his failure to die, really. And then Voldemort. It was really over. The final battle between him and Voldemort had taken place and he’d emerged victoriously. He pinched himself hard in his arm. Yep. Definitely alive. Sweet , sweet reality.

 

They were walking in silence, and they’d reached the lake now, their feet carrying them to the beech tree they’d often sat under, making up their homework or simply relaxing. It had been a year since they’d last been here, though it felt like a hundred years. They’d entered a new era now, and they had brought this era into being. A brave new world.

 

Hermione suddenly stopped, grabbing Ron’s elbow and holding him back. Harry looked at her in question.

 

“ Ron and I will be in the Great Hall, Harry,” she said, her eyes on the beech tree.

 

“Huh? Why…oh,” he said, as he followed her eyes.

 

Ginny Weasley sat under the beech tree, her head in her hands and shaking silently. Harry could not see her eyes, but he was sure there were tears of grief.

 

No matter how many dragons he’d slain, or Dark Lords defeated, he was still rather uncomfortable with crying girls.

 

He sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She gave a strangled sob and turned, flinging her arms around him. He hugged her closely, allowing her to cry her heart out.

 

It felt a bit traitorous perhaps, but he couldn’t cry. He was torn between extreme relief (honestly, he hadn’t ever expected to live this long), but he was also hurting a lot inside. He was hurting so much, that he was beyond crying.

 

He hurt for Fred, the eternal joker, who’d always had faith in him, who’d always been bright, funny and positive, even up until his very last moments. Fred, who’d only just forgiven Percy… first of all the Weasleys.

 

He hurt for George too. He had no idea what it was like to lose a twin, but he’d practically lived with them for seven years and he knew of the bond, so close they were almost one person in two bodies. He didn’t want to think of the grief George must be going through right now, or any of the Weasleys for that matter…

 

He hurt for Tonks and Lupin… she, a life-loving witch, funny and outgoing, perhaps like Sirius had been in happier times, and always caring. Lupin… he would be reunited with the Marauders at long last… Tonks’ and Lupin’s death stung even more because of what they left behind: a son.

 

Teddy Lupin. An orphan at such a young age, with a godfather who had a prize on his head, to be raised by the only family he had: a woman from his mother’s side of the family.

 

He gave a small chuckle and regretted it immediately as Ginny looked up at him, her arms still around him.

 

“Sorry,” he said apologetically, “I was just thinking how much Teddy Lupin is like me now. He’ll be much better off, though.”

 

“No matter,” she answered, smiling sadly, “I was just thinking how much like Cho I am now, crying all over you.”

 

“You’ll be much better off, too, though.”

 

“Because I’m ending up with you, and Cho isn’t?” She said with a small smile.

 

“If you still want to. I know I want to… but this isn’t really the time to be talking about this.” Harry said solemnly.

 

Ginny stood up angrily and pointed to the white tomb a little away on the lake shore. “Dumbledore wouldn’t want anything more than a little more love in the world. In times like these, we need the people we love close to us. And I love you, Harry!”

 

“I’m still not quite sure I believe everything Dumbledore ever said, especially since he withheld the truth from me.” Harry said bitterly.

 

“What truth?”

 

“That I was supposed to die.”

 

Ginny was completely shocked at this. “How… why? You’re not…He’s…”

 

Harrysighed. “Let’s go inside and gather your family. They have a right to know the truth… why Ron and Hermione and I have been away all year. I don’t want them to think… we’ve been hiding all year, or something.”

 

“They don’t think that.”

 

“I have to do two more things before we talk to your family. First, we’re going to replace this wand in Dumbledore’s tomb. It would be better if this sort of power never falls into the wrong hands again.”

 

She nodded and they set off towards the tomb.

 

“So what’s the second thing you have to do?”

 

“I’m not sure… I suppose it’ll come to me when I get there.”

 

“So how do you want to open this?” she asked, gazing pensively, even apprehensively at the tomb.

 

Harry drew the Elder Wand and tapped it once on the white marble, willing it to open. Once it did, they stood facing the remains of their Headmaster. Harry placed the wand between the cold, entwined fingers of the white and the black hands, smiling.

 

Ginny stiffened when she saw Dumbledore and grasped his arm tightly when he touched the dead man’s hands.

 

“Don’t fear the dead, Ginny,” he said, smiling. “He’s happy now.”

 

“How do you know?” She asked when he moved back from the tomb, which resealed itself.

 

“I’ll explain… if I can… when we get to the castle.” He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and they walked back to the castle. Harry, however, stopped after thirty yards.

 

“I think it was here,” he said, and added in answer to Ginny’s questioning look, “this is where I broke up with you a year ago. I hope… we can get back together here, as well.”

 

Ginny didn’t answer, but kissed him with all the passion and longing she felt. They kissed and kissed and it seemed like their whole year apart had never even existed, the sun creeping higher and nothing existed but they two. Finally then, they broke apart and Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen anyone as beautiful as Ginny Weasley as she smiled at him, the rising sun bringing out all the beautiful colors in her hair.

 

“I love you,” Harry whispered hoarsely.

 

“I know. I love you, too.”

 

“How do you think your mother will react? She’ll think I took advantage of you.”

 

“Don’t be silly. She knew we were together… before.”

 

Harry withdrew from her arms, turning away from her. He thought about all the horrors this year apart had brought him, and this evening. He had used the Cruciatus Curse… and he’d liked it. It scared him to no end. He’d used the Imperius Curse, without a single regret. This past year, he’d become darker, crueler. And that wasn’t the kind of man he wanted Ginny anywhere near.

 

“Back then I wasn’t a wanted man with ten thousand Galleons on my head. Undesirable Number One, remember?”

 

“Now you’re being ridiculous. You just killed Voldemort in front of two hundred people. You’ll be given an Order of Merlin, First Class within three days I reckon…”

 

“Technically, he killed himself. In his own stupidity. But that doesn’t matter. How can you still want me? In this journey…I’ve done things I regret… Unforgivable Curses…”

 

“Harry, shut up. Sometimes we all have to do things we regret. In the end, it was all worth it, wasn’t it? The end justifies the means…”

 

He scowled,thinking of how he, his life, his soul, had also been merely a means to an end.

 

“Look, Ginny, you deserve someone who treats you right, a whole person, a person who didn’t do horrible things…”

 

“Please just be happy that you’ve made the world a much happier place to live in!” she said vehemently. “I don’t care what makes you think you think you’re not worthy of me, because I know you, Harry, and I love you.”

 

Harry smiled. “You’re so stubborn. But I love you, too. Just don’t say I never warned you…”

 

She took his face in her hands and kissed him. “Stop being an idiot. You’ve always been Desirable Number One to me.”

 

And with those words, she took him by the hand and they walked towards the castle, where the healing just begun.

 

 

Author’s note:

In an interview, JKR explained why she stopped immediately after the Great Battle and left the epilogue vague. She finished Harry's story, and only wrote the epilogue to show us Harry had finally got his wish: a happy family. In short, she told us only enough to know Harry was okay, the battle was over. This reminded me - call it far-fetched if you will - of Philosopher's Stone, where Harry, Ron and Hermione are discussing Dumbledore. "He taught us just enough to help". Is this what JKR was doing; telling her story, but leaving the field wide open for fanfiction writers? She told us just enough for us to continue... Far-fetched, I know! It was just a thought.

Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear