Search:

SIYE Time:14:23 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


One Last Goodbye
By Malika Potter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 7
Summary: *Deathly Hallows Spoilers*

What if Harry had a chance to tell Ginny how he felt before his walk into the forest that occurred in the last chapters of Deathly Hallows? What would he say to her? One Shot.

(Alternate Universe because this scene didn't actually happen, but it follows all other canon references in Deathly Hallows)


Please Read and Review!!
Hitcount: Story Total: 5680



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
If you've read this story before, it was on MuggleNet FanFiction, under my same penname. I am the original author, it is not a copy.




ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, it all belongs to JKR

Author’s Note: When I was reading Deathly Hallows, I was slightly disappointed that Harry never said goodbye on his walk into the forest. This is what I think would have happened if he’d had the chance.

Deathly Hallows Spoilers




I thought I heard footsteps behind me, but when I’d turned, my eyes met only empty air. I frowned slightly, and wiped a trickle of blood off my hand, a wound from the battle. Perhaps I had only heard an animal that had been startled by the falling of thousand-year-old bricks off the castle. It was unlikely that there was anyone there, because the Death Eaters had retreated into the forest, and the Order of the Phoenix had gone inside the castle to locate any survivors, and to identify the dead.

This eerie peacefulness would not last long, only for an hour. If Harry Potter had not handed himself over to them within the next hour, Voldemort himself would descend into our mist and find him.

There was another rustle behind me, and this time I turned, my wand drawn. “Stupefy!”

My spell did not run straight, and instead veered off into the distance, obviously the work of a non-verbal shield charm.

“Reveal yourself!” I said, holding my wand in front of me, ready to stun at any sign of movement.

“It’s me, Ginny,”

I stopped at the sound of the familiar voice. “Harry? Is that you?”

For an answer, he appeared suddenly in front of me, his invisibility cloak at his side. He looked strangely frightened, but he smiled slightly anyway. His hair was messier than usual, and there were scars all over his face and hands. Still, I was overjoyed to see him.

“Harry!” I ran to hug him tightly, and he returned my hug.

“Where have you been?” I demanded, looking up at him.

“Fighting,” he said simply, and did not elaborate. “I’m sorry, Ginny.”

“For what?”

“That Fred-” he began, and then he stopped, a tortured look of sadness on his face. “It’s all my fault.”

“Harry, this isn’t your fault! Fred chose to fight! He knew what could happen…all of us did.”

I felt a lump in my throat. Harry’s sudden appearance had driven Fred completely out of my mind. Fred, who lay in the middle of the Great Hall, was dead. He had not survived the battle. I would never again hear one of his jokes, never again see his grin.

“Why were you hiding from me?” I asked suddenly, forcing myself back to the conversation. I would not dwell on my thoughts until after the battle was over.

“I wasn’t.”

“Don’t lie to me, Harry. You were under the cloak. I knew you were there, watching me.”

He looked at me sadly, “I didn’t want you to hear me. I wasn’t going to reveal myself. I just wanted to see you one more time, just in case…in case I don’t see you again.”

“You will,” I said, “I promise that I’ll make it. I promise that we’ll see each other after all of this is over.”

“I can’t promise you that,” Harry said, and I knew he was hiding something from me. “You know what I have to do tonight. Don’t think I don’t know how this might end. I’ve known it for years. You know that I’m the only one who can kill him.”

I knew. I knew that Harry was the only one with the power to vanquish Voldemort. Right after Harry’s birthday party, when he’d accidentally slipped something about going after Voldemort, Hermione had told me everything. She told me about the Prophecy, and about the Horcruxes, although she would not elaborate much on them.

“Why did you come out from under the cloak then?” I asked, “You could have walked on without me seeing you.”

He shook his head, “I couldn’t. I had to tell you.”

“Tell me what, Harry?”

“Goodbye,” he said, and he trembled slightly, so softly that if I had blinked at that moment, I would have missed it.

“Goodbye? Harry, we can’t say our goodbyes now! We have to keep fighting! We have to keep hoping that we’ll all make it out! If we say our goodbyes now, there’s nothing to fight for anymore.”

It was at that moment that I understood what the great Harry Potter was planning to do. He was planning to hand himself over, to end it so that there would be no more deaths, no more suffering on our part. Harry, who so bravely fought for the Wizarding World, was planning to end all of it with the sole intention of letting the rest of us move on.

“Harry, you can’t.” I said forcefully, grabbing the ends of his robes as though that would stop him from going.

“Can’t what?” he asked, as though he had no idea what I was talking about, but I knew him well enough to know that he did.

“You can’t hand yourself over!” A flicker of fear passed over his face and I knew that I was right in my suspicions.

“I have to. There’s no other way, Ginny. This has to end tonight.”

“Handing yourself over isn’t going to make it end!” I said, feeling my voice breaking.

How could he do this to me? After everything we’d been though, after everything I’d been through, how could he even think about ending it? How could he even think about it, if he knew I would live a thousand years of misery without him?

“Ginny, you’ve got to understand, I don’t want it to end this way, but it’s got to be done.”

“I doesn’t!” I said, feeling the tears starting to come, but I didn’t care. I had to convince him that there was another way to end this war, another way to settle the fight.

“Ginny,” he said gently, trying to calm me down, “This is what Dumbledore wanted. He wanted it to end like this for me.”

“How would you know?” I asked, “Dumbledore’s dead!”

“He left me a memory,” he said, and he looked scared now. “He told me about everything.”

“Like what?”

“You wouldn’t understand. I haven’t told you the whole story. I didn’t want you to know, because I didn’t want to scare you. You can ask Hermione and Ron though, when this is all over. They’ll tell you.”

“Harry, I already know about the Horcruxes,” I said defiantly, and he stopped and looked at me. “Hermione told me right before the wedding, before you left.”

“She did?” he asked weakly, running his fingers through his hair, “You know already?”

I nodded. “You can tell me, Harry. What did Dumbledore tell you? Why would he want you to give yourself up? He wanted you to fight, to win!

“I’m the last Horcrux!” he said suddenly, quite loudly, as though admitting it to himself, “The Horcrux he never meant to make! Do you understand what that means, Ginny? It means that this can’t end until after I die! While I survive, I’m his last link to life! While I survive, he can’t be killed.”

I understood. I understood that Harry being a Horcrux meant that he would have to give himself up in order to end the war. And suddenly, I felt selfish. How could I cry about Harry leaving me, when Harry’s eyes were still dry?

“Oh Harry,” I said, and I hugged him tightly again, as though I would never let go. “Aren’t you scared?”

“A little,” he admitted, and once again I could tell that he was lying: he was terrified. “But, to a well organized mind, death is like the next adventure.”

I sniffled, “That sounds like something Dumbledore would say.”

“It was. He told me right after my first year,” Harry looked up at the castle, “I’m really going to miss it here. It was the only place I could ever really call home.”

He checked his watch after a moment. “It’s almost time. I can’t be late. I have to go to the forest soon. You heard what he said would happen if I didn’t go…”

“Harry, listen, I’ll come with you. You don’t have to do everything alone,” I said, stuck with a sudden idea.

He gave me a small, grateful smile, but at the same time he shook his head. “I have to do this alone. I don’t want you to have to lose your life trying to save me. I can’t be saved. I’ve been doomed since before I was born.”

“What if I walk with you? I don’t have to go the whole way.”

“Would you ever be able to stop walking, Ginny? It’s better this way, if I go alone. You can move on with your life. You’ll meet someone else, somewhere down the road of your life, and you’ll fall in love again. You have your whole life ahead of you.”

“I don’t want to move on!” I shouted at him. Why didn’t he understand how I felt?

“You’ll want to eventually,” he said, staring at me intently, “And I want you to find someone. I don’t want you to wait for me.”

I didn’t know what to say. How could I possibly comfort him? What words could I, a girl of only sixteen, produce?

“You are the best thing that’s happened to me,” he whispered in my ear, “Goodbye, Ginny. Tell Ron and Hermione.”

I kissed him, for the last time, and he threw the cloak back over himself before I could catch another glance at him.

“Harry wait!”

“Yes?” he asked, still invisible.

“I can’t let you go alone!”

“You have to. You don’t have a choice. I won’t let you.”

“Harry?” I said, but he didn’t answer and I knew he was gone already. “Harry!”

A whisper from the darkness was the only thing I heard, “Goodbye, Ginny. I love you.”
Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear