Search:

SIYE Time:2:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Bluebird
By Spidey

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: Songfic
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: Bluebird, fly.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4071



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is a sequel or companion peice to "Songbird" you dont have to read it, as this story has its own plot, but it is recommended that you do.

i do not own anything except my plot. the song belongs to the wonderful Katie Noonan, a fantastic australian musician. this song is from her new album "Skin"

once again, to all my lovely readers please R&R, i love reading your reviews and seeing what you think of my work, i can only get better with your help.




ChapterPrinter


I saw Harry leave.

I saw him turn his back on my Ginny, on his beloved.

I saw the crow leave, and the mist roll in.

It was so cold, so scary. Things moved in the dark, Ginny hardly left the house.

I still went to her in the morning, only things had changed. Her window would be closed and locked, and I would have to peck at it until Ginny opened it and let me in. Sometimes I would not go at all; she would not open the window.

When she did open the window, I would not sing, it did not feel right. Things had changed; the house was quiet and subdued. No one moved or made a sound, maybe they were afraid the black hoods would come back again. Everyone was walking on eggshells; they were all so depressed and snappy. They were trapped.

Ginny would still feed me sweet biscuits but I learned that my song had no place in her home anymore. On one morning I did sing, she cried. Then the plump lady came up and shooed me outside and closed the window. I didn’t go back for a few days.

The mist got worse, the sun did not shine. I did not want to live outside, and for a few days Ginny kept me in her room.

~*~*~*~
This rhapsody of tension has lifted from my chest
As my flying cannot destroy the nest
It is merely a new chapter of this dream
~*~*~*~

Ginny never smiled, she would just sit in her room and cry. Her hair had lost its vibrancy, like the fire had disappeared from it. Her eyes were hollow, like her spirit had left. Her smile was gone, like her heart had died.

Most days I would be a comfort to her; she would feed me sweet biscuits and stroke my feathers. I knew why she was crying, because Harry had left. He left to go do something and he had taken her best friend and brother with him. The three of them had taken her spirit, heart and soul with them the night they disappeared.

One day when I was in my house, I heard a song. I skipped out of my house and looked up to Ginny’s window. Nothing had changed, she was not there, but still the song persisted.

I looked around and my eyes fell on a bluebird that had the gift of song. Slowly the bluebird flew down to me, and gently began to sing to me. I did not know where it had come from, or what it was doing here, but I knew that bluebird could help me make Ginny better. Bluebird became my mate.

Ginny seemed pleased that I had found a mate, we would sing to her and perform duets and I saw that elusive smile come to her face, even if it was a shadow of the brilliant one she had. Ginny went back to school and I counted the days of her return. I wanted to show her the house my mate and I made, the eggs we laid.

~*~*~*~
Shining brightly does not quell the flame
It merely adds to the symphony of colour
That is this tapestry we weave
~*~*~*~

One day the mist lifted and the sun came through, we sang and rejoiced, spring had come and we were happy again.

But the days rolled on and still Ginny did not come. Our eggs had hatched into beautiful little babies, all chirping and hungry, we had four in all.

Every day, my mate and I would take turns in looking for food to feed our chicks. On one particular day, my travels took me beyond the fence of the property. I saw the crow’s corpse. I did not hate him, nor did I wish death upon him. I perched myself upon the fence and looked at the view before me, house were destroyed, the living were burying their dead, the grief overshadowed the beautiful spring day. I sat and wept. I sat and sang a song of grief.

~*~*~*~
And I don’t believe it sings any louder or soars any higher
But it will not fly at all if not given freedom to be
~*~*~*~

I flew back to my mate, spirit gone, and wept some more. The dead walked among us trying to comfort those still living, but after a while they were summoned, after a while they began to disappear.

And still Ginny did not come.

~*~*~*~
Bluebird fly, bluebird fly
Bluebird fly, bluebird fly
~*~*~*~

Morning after morning, day after day I would fly to her window, only to be met by the same image, an empty room in which no life dwelled. I began to worry. I had prayed that she was not one of the dead that ceased to exist. I had looked around her house, but no sign of life had showed itself, the windows were boarded up, the life had gone.

After a few weeks I did not go near his house, I began to focus more on my family, the chicks were starting to learn how to fly, and I figured if Ginny would come back, she would come to see me.

Our chicks grew, they would twitter about and would sing as best they could, but one day it happened. We were teaching them how to fly, when one fell out of the house Ginny and Harry had made for me. I jumped out nervously, looking around for my offspring, when I couldn’t locate my chick; I flew around looking for it. The last thing I needed was to lose my baby to a stray, hungry cat.

Then I saw her.

~*~*~*~
And I don’t believe it sings any louder or soars any higher
But it will not fly at all if not given freedom to be
~*~*~*~

Ginny was standing underneath my tree, palms open, holding my chick.

And she was smiling.

I sat on the branch and looked at her.

“Hello songbird, I’ve missed you,” she smiled.

I flew down, twittering excitedly, and sat on her shoulder. My chick gave a weak chirp and she smiled.

“So tiny, and very pretty, songbird,” she said, holding my chick gently and examining it.

She moved and I flew back to my branch to watch her. Ginny moved slowly up the tree, opened the top of my house and put my chick back, and then she stopped to look at my family. My mate and chirping chicks. She replaced the top of my house and sat on the branch, she extended her finger and I jumped on it. She brought me to her face.

~*~*~*~
Bluebird fly, bluebird fly
Bluebird fly, bluebird fly
~*~*~*~

“Songbird, my brother died. His name was Fred.” Ginny wiped at a tear that escaped her eye.

I remember who Fred was, he was a twin, he was cheery and funny, and in his younger days, seemed to like pestering that old crow.

I gave a chirp of grief. Ginny smiled gently at me and pet me.

“Ginny?”

We both looked towards the voice.

I gave a chirp of happiness and Ginny smiled.

“Harry.”

He walked to the tree and stood against the trunk. He smiled up at me.

“Songbird, I have something for you,” and he pulled out those sweet biscuits that I have never been able to resist.

~*~*~*~
I hope you don’t want to pretend it's all the way it was
Cause I cried more than I think of
But now I’m trying to let go of our past
~*~*~*~


After Harry had fed me I flew back to Ginny and chirped and twittered excitedly, I wanted Harry to see my family.

“Happy isn’t he?” Harry smiled at Ginny.

I bounced toward my nest and my mate came out.

“Wow,” Harry said.

“They have babies as well,” Ginny said, watching us interact.

“Can I see?” Harry asked.

Ginny nodded and got down from the tree. Harry kissed her softly before he got on the branch and took a peek inside my house. He smiled and rubbed my feathers, before making his way down to the ground. His arm slid around Ginny’s waist and he pulled her close, I smiled as I watched them.

They began to make their way back to the house, before she stopped and looked back at me.

“Songbird,” she called “my window will be open tomorrow morning.”

I chirped happily as the disappeared inside the house.

~*~*~*~
The nest we made is stronger than we think
And though we all fly we still come home
Guilt is a dark room I cannot live there
~*~*~*~

But that morning did not come. That night a storm hit. My little house rocked as my partner and I, and our chicks cowered together, hoping to shelter us from the brutality of Mother Nature outside.

The storm seemed to pass; my mate went to inspect the situation. All I remember is hearing a crack and my mate disappeared.

Then it came back, the wind rain, thunder and lightning. I could not see, the house began to move violently, the wind roared outside with a vengeance. I could not leave my mate. Moving ever so slowly, I looked outside, and saw Ginny running towards us. A branch had fallen and hurt my mate, I saw her delicately handle my partner and hold her close. I heard another crack and looked up, the branch above was breaking.

I chirped at Ginny, panic bubbling in my stomach, we would not survive.

“Ginny, what are you doing? It’s dangerous, get back inside.”

Harry came running towards us, Ginny turned, holding my mate to her chest.

“We have to save it Harry, we have to.” She held out the injured body of my partner for Harry to see.

“We cant Ginny, we need to get back inside.” The branch above gave another dangerous crack.

“Just like we couldn’t save Fred?” Ginny yelled above the wind, tears streaming down her face. Harry looked up wearily at the branch then back at Ginny.

He pulled out his wand.

“Accio bird house.”

I felt us zoom towards him, he caught us and placed us under his arm, and he grabbed Ginny’s hand and ran.

I heard a crack and a loud thud, the rain pelted around us as they ran towards the door of the house. Soon warmth enveloped us as the door behind us closed.

Harry set my hose down on the table and I jumped out and flew to the window sill. The branch above mine had fallen and had knocked down my branch as well; another branch on the far side of the tree had fallen too.

~*~*~*~
And I don’t believe it sings any louder or soars any higher
But it will not fly at all if not given freedom to be
~*~*~*~

I heard Ginny crying as she gently lay my mate on the table, I flew over and perched next to my partner, my chicks were all standing at the entrance of my house, watching.

“Harry?” Ginny cried.

Harry put a finger to my partner’s chest, and a tired chirp echoed from the beak. I chirped back.

Harry moved his wand over my mate, and let out a sigh.

“It’ll be fine Ginny, nothing is wrong, it was more likely hit with a stick and got the wind knocked out of it, but after some rest it’ll be fine ok?”

He pulled a crying Ginny into a hug and kissed the top of her head.

“You know that we would’ve done everything we could to have saved Fred, but sometimes, even though you do everything in your power to protect the ones you love, you can’t always save them or keep them out of danger Ginny.”

Ginny just cried even more and buried herself more into Harry’s embrace.

After a few moments, Ginny’s tears subsided. They picked up my house and placed my partner and I back inside with our chicks, and then carried us up to Ginny’s bedroom. Harry set us on Ginny’s desk, as she got into bed.

“Stay,” Ginny whispered, and without a seconds hesitation, Harry climbed into bed next to her, I watched them as they fell asleep, then snuggled up to my own mate and children. Slowly I fell asleep, as the storm raged outside, then finally dispersed, bringing a new day in its absence.

~*~*~*~
Bluebird fly, bluebird fly
Bluebird fly, bluebird fly
~*~*~*~
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear