Search:

SIYE Time:0:23 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Not Seeing That Loving You
By Hedwiglover

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 2
Summary: Songfic to What Hurts the Most by Rascal Flatts. Scenes and missing moments from the Deathly Hallows where Harry and Ginny really miss each other. Told from both Harry and Ginny's POV.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3843



Disclaimer: The Potterverse all belongs to the fabulous JKR. The song, What Hurts the Most, is by Rascal Flatts, my favourite country group ever.



Author's Notes:
I really like this song. I thought it fit with Harry and Ginny very well. Please read/ review!




ChapterPrinter



I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house
That don’t bother me
I can take a few tears now and then and just let them out
I’m not afraid to cry every once in a while
Even though going on with you gone still upsets me
There are days every now and again I pretend I’m ok
But that’s not what gets me


Harry rolled over in his bunk in the tent he was sharing with Ron and Hermione on their search for Horcruxes. He heard the rain plinking on the roof of the tent along with Ron’s snores from the bunk next to his. Ron was lucky to be able to be with the girl he loved. Harry still thought of Ginny daily. Whenever he was doing watch duty he took his Marauder’s Map with him so he could watch Ginny’s dot. She was usually either in the Common Room or in bed at this time of night.

He knew that Ron and Hermione knew that he was miserable, and he knew that they knew that it was all because Ginny wasn’t here with them, and he knew that they also knew that Ginny couldn’t be here, that it was too dangerous for her, but they didn’t say a word. Every once in a while Hermione would ask,

“Are you ok, Harry?”

He’d answer yes and give a quick smile that they both knew was fake.

Harry sighed and rolled to his other side and tried to sleep. He woke up within an hour. He had dreamed of her again. He had to stop this; he had to stop thinking of her, Voldemort might be able to read his thoughts and see this. He sighed. He couldn’t just forget about her though. He should know this by now. Every night he had that dream of the war being over and having Ginny in his arms, and by now he knew that he couldn’t control it. He sighed again, buried his face in his pillow and sobbed. As he cried into the night another dream came into his mind, it was more of a memory really, of when he broke up with Ginny.

**Flashback**

Harry turned to face Ginny, who was sitting next to him. He sighed and looked at her. She was so beautiful even with the dried tears on her red blotchy face. How can I do this? It’ll break my heart. I’ve got to though. It’s for her safety. He sighed once more and then said,

“Ginny, we need to talk. The past few weeks with you have been wonderful, but I can’t play around anymore. I’ve got a job to do and now that Dumbledore’s gone it’s time I stop waiting for other people to do it for me. I’ve got to do it myself. I’m telling you all this because this job I have to do is extremely dangerous and even though you won’t be with me, Voldemort might still be able to get to you and hurt you if he knows you’re my girlfriend, and that would just put you in danger. I couldn’t risk your life for anything, so I guess what I’m trying to say is…I’m breaking up with you.”

She had looked at him with a silent plea in her eyes. A plea to please reconsider, to take back what he had said, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t risk putting her in danger for anything.

**End of Flashback**


What hurts the most
Was being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was tryin’ to do


***
Ginny couldn’t eat. She couldn’t sleep. She couldn’t do anything. Her entire mind and soul was focused on Harry. Where the hell is he? Is he alright? When will I see him again? If only I told him that I loved him. Maybe that would’ve kept him here.

She sat in the Great Hall, picking at her breakfast, her mind on those lovely days by the lake with Harry the previous year. Even though they were together only 2 months ago it felt like an eternity.

Neville looked over at his friend. He couldn’t stand to see her so depressed. She was never like that when Harry was here. Harry’s the reason she’s miserable, stupid. His not being here is killing her. If only I could do something to cheer her up. Harry would know what to do. He’d probably be a little smart aleck-y with Snape and that would get her laughing again. Wait that’s it!

Neville got up from the Gryffindor table and crossed the hall towards the Ravenclaw table.

“Hey, Luna, fancy doing some D.A. stuff again?”

“Oh, yes,” she replied, a huge grin breaking out over her face.

The two friends went back over to Ginny with a plan in mind.

“Ginny, tonight we are going to have fun. We’re gonna break into Snape’s office and steal the Gryffindor’s sword for Harry.”

“What?” said Ginny, snapping out of her memory.

“We’re gonna get the sword for Harry, tonight.” Neville repeated.

A forced smile appeared on Ginny’s face. What good was that? Getting the stupid sword? Well at least if she couldn’t be at Harry’s side, helping him with his mission then getting him the sword would be the next most useful thing she could do ad she’d better do it for Neville and Luna, they seemed so set on it. Her heart still ached as she leaned in closer with them to discuss the plan. It felt better to be distracted.


It’s hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go
But I’m doin’ It
It’s hard to force that smile when I see our old friends and I’m alone
Still Harder
Getting up, getting dressed, livin’ with this regret
But I know if I could do it over
I would trade give away all the words that I saved in my heart
That I left unspoken

***

Ah! Hot! Ginny reached into her pocket to find the old contact galleon from the D.A. days. It now had a new message:

Harry is here. We are going to fight. Apparate directly to Hog’s Head bar.

“Fred, George, we’re going to the Hog’s Head now!” Ginny screamed as she ran over to her brothers.

“What’s going on? Why do we need to go to the Hog’s Head?” asked George.

“Harry’s at Hogwarts. We’re going to fight.”

“Well, we are at least; you’re not coming!” said Fred.

“Fred Weasley! I am coming with you whether you like it or not!” Ginny screamed, “I’m going to the Hog’s Head even if I have to apparate myself!”

“Ginny, it’s too dangerous,” said George

“I don’t care: I’m going!”

“George, I don’t think we have much choice not to take her,” said Fred.

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right. Take my arm, Ginny.” they left a note saying that they were off to Hogwarts to fight and then disapparated.

When they arrived in the Hog’s Head they were greeted by the instruction,

“Climb up into the passage above the fireplace and proceed down the hall. A few people! A few people! They’ve turned my pub into a railway station!”

Ginny clambered up into the passage, followed quickly by Fred and George. She ran down the tunnel with one thing in mind: Harry. She reached the end of the passage, looked around, and quickly spotted Harry, Ron and Hermione. She beamed at them and noticed that Harry was not smiling. He looked very unhappy, about the turnout of people no doubt. She couldn’t help feeling a little hurt that he wasn’t happy to see her nonetheless.

“You all shouldn’t have come.” He seemed to be saying this directly at her. “We’re not here to fight we need to find something; something that’s going to help overthrow You-Know-Who.” He turned to the small group of Ravenclaws. “Do any of you know where the lost diadem of Ravenclaw is, or anything about it?”

“There’s a statue of Ravenclaw wearing it up in our Common Room. I could show you if you like,” said Cho Chang. Oh, no she wasn’t, not if Ginny had anything to say about it.

“No, Luna will show Harry. Won’t you, Luna?” said Ginny.

“Of course,” said Luna, and she and Harry left the room without a single backward glance. Harry hadn’t even acknowledged her being there. He didn’t seem to care at all. She had been so sure that just seeing him would set everything right, but apparently she was wrong.


What hurts the most
Is being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was trying to do


***
Now he knew the truth. He wasn’t supposed to survive. He had to die in order for Voldemort to die. The realization of this washed over him, numbing him, he was oblivious to anything else. Slowly he made his way toward the Forbidden Forest. Just before he got to the Entrance Hall he saw Ginny helping a girl who was badly wounded and saying that she wanted to go home. He wanted so badly to stop and talk to her; to tell that he loved her and that he was going to die for her now. He knew that she’d be the only thing that would stop him from fulfilling his true destiny; she’d be the only thing that could possibly hold him back, but he had to move on, continue his mission until the very end. He wondered if she could sense someone walking by her as he made his way out toward the Forbidden Forest, where death waited for him.


What hurts the most
Is being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was trying to do

Not seeing that loving you
That’s what I was trying to do


***

The End
Reviews 2
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear