Search:

SIYE Time:18:38 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


If You're Reading This
By Hedwiglover

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Tragedy
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 16
Summary: If you're reading this it means that I, Harry James Potter, have died while trying to defeat Voldemort.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5942



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is just a little one-shot that popped into my mind one day. I wanted to put it in Putting It Back Togehter but I couldn't really find a place to stick it in and I was already content with the first chapter, which was where it would logically fit, so I said forget it. This story is in the same universe though. Enjoy! Please read and review!




ChapterPrinter


Ginny picked up Harry’s soiled robes from the battle the night before. They were covered in blood, grime, and sweat. They stank something awful. They were torn, wrinkled, and ever burned in some places. They looked like they were the only clothes he owned by the way that they were so worn, but she knew it was just because of the intensity of the battle.

He had won that battle. He’d finally defeated Voldemort. He was a hero. He’d saved them all last night, the whole world. He was so brave, so strong.

An envelope fell out of a pocket from his robes as she picked them up to be laundered. She picked it up and took and the piece of parchment that was inside. She saw Harry’s messy handwriting and several splotches in the ink that looked like teardrops. She dropped the robes in a heap on the floor as she began to read:




If you’re reading this it means that I, Harry James Potter, have died while trying to defeat Voldemort. Hopefully I brought him down with me, but if I didn’t Ron and Hermione know what to do. Help them. Support them. Do what they say. End this madness so that you all can live a normal, happy life.

I want to thank some people who’ve been there for me and helped me through everything. These are the people who’ve given me the strength to make it as far as I have.

First of all I want to thank Ron Weasley. Ron, you are my best mate, my brother, and I haven’t thanked you enough. You’ve put up with me when I’ve been a great prat, cheered me up when I was down and depressed, and taught me so much about life, love, and wizard chess. (Pity I was never able to beat you at it.) I know most people have someone who fills the post of ‘best friend’ but Ron, you went above and beyond what those others have done. Thank you so much. Just remember, Ron, you are rich in what really matters: love, friendship, family, and courage.

Next I want to thank, my sister, Hermione Granger. Hermione, you are honestly the smartest witch I’ve ever met. Not just because you study so hard but because of your amazing ability to think quickly under pressure. I can’t count the number of times that if it hadn’t been for you I’d be dead. Thank you. Hermione, you are beautiful. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You are also very loving and a great friend. Do me a favor, okay? Get together with Ron. I know you too love each other and honestly it’s been long enough. He may be too thick to say it to your face but Ron is crazy about you. Don’t try to deny it, I know you love him too. Oh, and thanks for all the homework help. I’d probably still be in first year if it weren’t for you.

Next I want to thank the entire Weasley family. You guys really accepted me and made me feel like I belonged. You were the closest thing I’ve had to a family since I was a baby. Thank you all so much. Thanks, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley for giving me all that good food and for treating me like a seventh son. To all the Weasley children, thanks for calling me your brother and for treating me like I was one.

Hagrid, you were the first ever wizard I met. Thanks for setting me free from the Dursleys. Even though I still had to go back there every summer you helped me rise above their put-downs and remember that I’m not a freak. They’re the freaks. Thanks for having us over at your house and for being such a great friend. By the way, you’re an excellent teacher. I’m not joking. You taught me a lot. Without your help we would’ve never figured out how to open the Chamber of Secrets.

Sirius, my godfather, thanks for being there for me until the very end of your life. I missed you so much but I guess I’ll be seeing you soon. You taught me so much about my father and mother and helped me realize what magnificent people they were (not that I didn’t already know that).

Remus Lupin, thank you for being the best D.A.D.A. teacher ever. You also taught me a lot about my parents, and I thank you for that. Also thank you so much for teaching me how to do a Patronus charm. That helped me in more ways than just being able to get rid of Dementors. It taught me that my father is still alive in me and it also proves that happiness can be found even in the darkest of times.

I also want to thank my parents. Even though I can’t really remember you guys I know that you loved me and that you died trying to save me. Thank you. I guess I’ll be seeing you guys soon too, huh?

Next I want to thank Neville Longbottom. Neville, you are a great friend and a great wizard. Neville, you can do anything you set your mind to. Remember that for me. You are brave and strong and a damn good fighter. Thanks for having my back all those times.

Luna Lovegood, you helped me realize a lot of things. First of all that the ones that love us never really leave us. So I guess I’m not really going to be leaving you all behind. Also you showed me that being different isn’t a bad thing. Thank you for everything and for being able to see thestrals with me when no one else could.

Finally, I want to thank Ginny Weasley. Gin, I love you so much, and I’m sorry for everything. For not getting together with you sooner, for leaving you, and for never telling you how I really feel. I’m going to miss you the most, Gin. I’m sorry we couldn’t have had more time together. One day I know you’ll meet someone else and you’ll fall in love and get married and have lots of kids. You’ll live happily ever after. I only wish that you could’ve done these things with me. But, either way, I want you to be happy, Gin; you deserve it. Just remember that I love you with all my heart. Thank you for being my silver lining and my motivation for getting as far as I got.

So there’s the end of my thank-yous. I guess I leave all my stuff to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny and they can split it among themselves and whomever else they want to have own it. That includes my gold at Gringotts. I’d like to be buried at Godric’s Hollow next to my parents if that’s possible. I have to say that I really didn’t want to die, but I’m extremely proud to be doing it in the fight against Voldemort, so that he may never hurt another soul again.






Tears were running down her cheeks long before she’d reached her own name on the list but when she finally read the words ‘Ginny Weasley’ she’d begun crying so hard that she couldn’t see. It took her a minute to calm herself down before she could go on.

After reading his words to her she’d cried uncontrollably. She was sitting on his bed, sobbing her heart out when she heard a voice say,

“Ginny?”

It was Ron and Hermione. They came over to her and hugged her and let her cry on their shoulders, obviously thinking that she was crying for one of the ones they’d lost. After minute Hermione asked,

“What’s that, Ginny?”

Ginny handed her the letter and Ron looked over Hermione’s shoulder to read it too. When they’d finished Hermione was crying softly too and Ron’s eyes were brimming with tears that he was trying to wipe away, so that he wouldn’t upset the girls any more.

“Why would he write such a thing?” asked Ron in a shaky voice.

“He thought he was going to die, Ron,” said Hermione gently. “Oh, now I know more of why he was so depressed and agitated all year. I wish he’d told us what he was thinking.”

Just then Neville and Luna entered the room. They stared at the crying group for a moment and then Neville said,

“Is there anything you need, guys?”

“Read this,” said Ron, handing over the piece of parchment to Luna.

Neville read it with Luna over her shoulder; his eyes wide and his mouth gaping open.

“I knew he was going to do it,” he said quietly.

“What’s that?” asked Ron

“I knew he was going to give himself up. I saw him just before he went to Voldemort. He told me to kill the snake in case you guys couldn’t. I asked him if he was going to go to him and he said no but it was obvious what he was-“

Neville broke off. His sobbing made him unable to finish his sentence. Luna patted his shoulder gently.

They five friends sat in silence for a while, each trapped in their own thoughts when the door to the dormitory opened once more revealing a rather skinny young man with black hair and bright green eyes.

“What’s wrong?” asked Harry, coming over to sit down with them.

“This,” said Neville, handing him his letter.

Harry reread it quickly then looked up to face them all.

“You weren’t supposed to read this,” he said feebly. “I’m still alive.”

“Did you think you wouldn’t be?” asked Ron carefully.

“Well, throughout the year I hadn’t really expected myself to survive. I tried to stay positive but it was hard. Once I saw Snape’s memories in the Pensieve, though, I knew I was going to die. I’m amazed that I’m standing here right now.”

“What do you mean you knew you were going to die?” asked Ginny, her voice cracking.

Harry sighed deeply, then said, “Before Snape died he gave me a vial of his memories. In one of them he was talking to Dumbledore. Dumbledore told Snape that when Voldemort tried to kill me that he’d committed such an act evil that he created a new Horcrux without meaning to: me.

"Dumbledore said that I carried a part of Voldemort soul around in me; that’s why I could talk to snakes and see Voldemort’s thoughts at certain times. He said that in order for Voldemort to die I had to be killed by him. So, then I knew what I had to do. I didn’t want to die, but it was my duty. I was destined to die. I just…I didn’t want to leave and have those things go unsaid.”

Harry looked down at his feet and took a deep breath, blinking back tears. Then he went on, “I went into the forest where he was waiting. I just stood there and let him hit me with the Killing Curse. Everything went black and then I woke up. I was in King’s Cross and Dumbledore was there. He talked to me for a bit and he told me that since I went willingly, without trying to defend myself or anyone else, I could come back if I wanted to. So I did. I woke up again and I was lying in the forest. I had to play dead until I could get my cloak on and then after I cast that shield charm everyone heard me so I pulled the cloak off and well, you know the rest.”

He stopped talking then and tried mainly to focus on not crying. He closed his eyes, trying to hold the tears back, but they leaked out anyway, falling onto his face. He wiped them away furiously, but it was no use. They were falling thick and fast now, and it was no use trying to hide them. Ginny came over to him and put her arms around him and allowed him to cry into her shoulder. Ron, Hermione, Luna, and Neville put their hands on his back, comforting him. After a minute, his crying ceased and he looked up at his friends and said,

“Thank you.”

“No, thank you, Harry, for saying what you said in the letter and for telling us about what went on,” said Luna.

“Well, you’re my friends and I figure I should be trusting you like you trust me.”

The six friends left the dormitory and went outside to walk by the lake. As he looked out at the clear blue water and listened to the sounds of Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna’s happy voices Harry couldn’t help thinking that they were definitely worth dying for.

Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear