Search:

SIYE Time:0:54 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


No Matter How Improbable
By Tom NotRiddle

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe, The Marauders Map Challenge (2008-6)
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 27
Summary: ** Winner of Best Secrets, a tie, in the The Marauders Map Challenge **
Harry and Ginny must spend the weekend in the Hospital Wing. While there, they help each other heal, build a friendship, plan a prank, and solve a mystery.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8370



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I hope that Miss Josephine Tey's spirit accepts this story as what I meant it to be - the sincerest form of flattery. If you have not read The Daughter of Time, please do so. You will not regret it, I promise you.

As always, I would like to thank Nuvisionary for his gracious suggestions for improving the readability of my work, and Professor Flitwick for agreeing to be my Beta reader.

Constructive criticism is always welcome - I want to improve my craft!





ChapterPrinter


***** 1 September 1993 *****

Harry leaped aboard the Hogwarts Express just as it started its journey north to Hogsmeade. Once the train was clear of Kings Cross station, he turned to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny and whispered, “I need to talk to you… in private.”

Ron turned to his sister. “Go find your friends, Ginny.”

She huffed at him and was about to leave when Harry stopped her. “No; stay.” He looked at the three of them. “You all need to know this.” He was about to continue when Ginny hit him with a crushing hug. Harry stared at Ron, stunned, as he folded her in a gentle, but completely clueless, hug. Ron smirked at his mate and shrugged. “Must be a girl thing.”

After he had been released the four students set off down the train. In the last car they found a compartment with only one occupant, an adult who was sleeping soundly. He did not stir as they stored their trunks in the overhead racks. “According to his travel case he’s R. J. Lupin. I expect he’s our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor,” Hermione informed them.

Ron gaped. “How did you…?” Ginny sighed, “It’s the only vacancy, Ron.”

They sat together in a tight knot as far from the dozing man as possible. “This will have to do,” whispered Harry. He looked at Ron and Ginny. “According to your father, Sirius Black wants to kill me.” Ginny, Hermione, and Ron looked as though they had been hit by bludgers.

“Oh, Harry! You aren’t going to…,” Hermione began. Harry cut her off. “No, Hermione, I’m not going to go out and try to capture him. But, I’m not going to sit back do nothing either. The Ministry let him escape, and the professors — well the past two years speak for themselves.”

Harry looked carefully at Hermione; he could see that she was struggling with this last statement. He knew that Hermione thought that criticizing professors was tantamount to heresy.

Harry waited. Finally Hermione dropped her head and nodded slowly. He continued, “The first thing we need is information. Hermione, I need you to find out as much as you can about Sirius Black. Can you do that?” Hermione smiled and nodded. “Once we know more about why Black wants to kill me, then we can figure out our next steps.” He stood. “I’ll be right back. I have to find Fred and George and let them know.”

Ginny offered, “Let me, Harry. I need to talk to them about something else anyway.”

“Thanks, Ginny, I appreciate that.”

*****

Ginny found Fred and George in a compartment two cars up. She peered in their compartment; they were alone. She entered and closed the door. She whispered, “Colloportus” and turned to her brothers. She related what Harry had told her. “Harry wanted you to know. Can you let the rest of the Quidditch team know, quietly? The more people we have keeping their eyes open, the better.”

Fred answered. “You can count on us, Ginny.”

She nodded. Then she added, with a glint in her eye and a hint of steel in her voice. “There is one more thing…”

George looked at Fred. Fred looked at George. They both looked at Ginny, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

“… I need your map.”

“Map, what map? We don’t have a map. No map at all. None. We have no idea what you’re talking about.”

She looked at them, laughter in her eyes. “You know, I love watching you when you try to deny things.” Then, she hit them with a Molly-Weasley-don’t-you-dare-lie-to-me glare. “I. Want. The map.” She held out her hand.

There were no further attempts at denial, but they still didn’t move. Her glare was replaced a look of angelic innocence, quite at variance with the blackmail being conducted. “Do you know what else I would love to see?…” Their sister never made idle threats. Which of their secrets had she uncovered? “… Mum’s reaction when she finds out that you’re planning to go into the joke business.”

“We aren’t! You can’t prove anything.” She waited. They folded like a cheap set of robes.

“How did you know?” Fred asked.

She laughed. “A girl has to have some secrets.”

George pulled down his trunk and handed Ginny an old piece of folded parchment.

“And how does it work?”

George opened the parchment, touched it with his wand and muttered, “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” The three watched as fine ink lines spread out across the parchment until a very detailed map of Hogwarts castle was completed. At the top of the parchment, Ginny read:

Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs
Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers
are proud to present

THE MARAUDER’S MAP


She saw a couple of dots moving through the passageways. “Who appears on the map?” she asked.

“As far as we can tell, anyone who’s human or-”

“-part-human. House-elves, ghosts, and pets don’t-”

“-show. Pity, that. It would be really nice to know where-”

“-Mrs. Norris is. When you’re done with it, tap it with your wand and say ‘Mischief managed!’ and it will erase itself.”

“Brilliant!” She tapped the map and muttered, “Mischief managed!” When the lines had disappeared, she folded the map and put it in her pocket.

“Thank you, Fred. Thank you, George.” She gave them each a kiss on the cheek. She unsealed the compartment and left.

*****

Ginny found Ron and Harry talking about Quidditch, and Hermione reading, when she returned to their compartment. Professor Lupin still was sound asleep.

“Fred and George know. They’re going to let the Quidditch team know too. The more eyes we have, the better.” She looked at Harry, hoping that he agreed with what she had done.

Harry nodded. “Thanks, Ginny.”

Ginny sat. Things definitely were looking up for her second year. Harry had included her in his plans; he’d treated her just like Ron and Hermione. To Harry at least, she was a person in her own right, not a baby to be shoved aside or a weakling to be protected. She hoped that Ron and Hermione would begin to see her that way too. And she’d obtained the Marauder’s Map — she hadn’t expected the Joke Shop threat to work, a great bit of luck, that.

It finally looked like the horror of last year really was receding. Now she could focus on getting to know the other Gryffindors in her year, and on renewing her friendship with Luna. Yes, this promised to be a very good year.

Harry also allowed himself the luxury of guarded optimism as he thought about the upcoming year. He had taken what steps he could to prepare himself for Sirius Black. The new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor could not possibly be any worse than Quirrel and Lockhart. He even had been spared having to put up with Draco Malfoy; the git bolted when he realized that the sleeping figure in their compartment actually was a professor. Now if only he could come up with a plan for getting permission to visit Hogsmeade…

Then the Dementors boarded the train. By November, Ginny and Harry almost had abandoned all hope.

***** 6 November 1993 *****

Madam Poppy Pomfrey was known for her stern and forbidding personality. She worked very carefully to cultivate this perception; it was necessary when dealing with those students with a propensity for not following the rules. Those who knew her best, however, knew that this was merely a façade. In all her years as the Matron of the Hogwarts Hospital Wing, she had shown her true self only to a handful of her patients. Harry Potter was about to join this select group.

He had been brought in a few hours ago after falling off his broom in the first Quidditch game of the year. His injuries from the fall were neither unexpected nor serious. She had healed his broken bones and cuts, charmed away the worst of the bruising, and dosed him with blood-restoring, pain relieving, and calming potions. Harry was recovering nicely; had there been no other issues, he would have been released that evening.

There were other issues.

He was too thin; he barely was eating. As if that were not enough, her diagnostic spells revealed that his was dangerously exhausted and had not been getting enough sleep for some time. She was not looking forward to confronting him. He was closed-mouthed and loath to accept help, but she had to get to the bottom of this. When she saw the last of his visitors leave the room she approached his bed and pulled up a chair.

“Mr. Potter… Harry, we need to talk... How are you doing?”

She could see him close down; he hated to admit he needed help. He averted his eyes before replying. “I’m fine,” he mumbled.

“You aren’t fine, Harry. You’re not getting enough sleep. You’re not eating; you’ve lost weight since you arrived. I spoke with your professors. The only class you’re keeping up in is Defense Against the Dark Arts, and even there the standard of your work is way down. I need you to be honest with me, Harry. What’s wrong?”

She was afraid he would refuse to reply, but he finally managed to whisper, “It’s… the Dementors. I... I faint when I see them and... I’ve started having nightmares again.” She could see how hard he fought before he made the admission. His shoulders trembled and she saw the tears begin to well in his eyes. She reached over to hug him. As she was about to continue her questioning she heard a faint rustle behind his bed. Looking over, she saw a small pair of well-worn trainers peaking out beneath the curtains behind the bed.

“Perhaps you would like to come out and join our conversation, Miss Weasley,” she noted tartly. The curtains slowly opened and Ginny Weasley stepped out from her hiding place. The Matron noticed tear streaks running down from eyes that were every bit as exhausted as Harry’s. Another student was going to get to know the real Poppy Pomfrey.

“Why did you remain behind, Ginny? You know that Visiting Hours are over. Harry needs to get his rest.”

Before Ginny could answer, Harry jumped in. “She’s here to sit with me when I have my nightmares, Madam Pomfrey. She knows I get them every night. She’s been staying up to help me.”

Madam Pomfrey struggled not to react to this rather blatant falsehood. “Is this true, Ginny?”

Ginny started to nod, but then stopped. After several seconds she slowly shook her head; her eyes never left her trainers.

“You’re having nightmares too, Ginny?”

Ginny nodded, her eyes still fixed on her trainers.

“How often do you have them?”

Madam Pomfrey had to wait almost five minutes before, in the faintest possible voice, Ginny replied, “Every night. I have them every night. I hardly had any this summer, but they’ve started again. Ever since I saw the Dementors.” She rushed forward and threw herself into the Matron’s arms. “Please don’t let them send me home. Please!”

Madam Pomfrey gently stroked Ginny’s quaking back. “Hush, Ginny. No one is going to send you home. But, you have to take care of yourself.” She caught Harry’s eye. “You both need to eat right and when you can’t sleep, you need to come see me. Will you do that?”

Ginny and Harry nodded slowly.

“All right then. I think it would be best if you both spent all weekend here. You both are completed exhausted. I want to make sure that you get a lot of rest and start eating proper meals.” She summoned a second dinner tray for Ginny and added a large piece of chocolate to each meal. “Ginny, you may use the next bed over I think. Please get changed into Hospital pyjamas. I want you both to eat everything on your trays. When you’re done, I’ll give you each a dose of Dreamless Sleep potion. We’ll talk again tomorrow morning.” Harry and Ginny nodded meekly.

***** 7 November 1993 *****

The next morning, Madam Pomfrey brought two large breakfast trays for her patients. “I want you to eat all of this, and I do mean ALL of it,” she commanded. Harry and Ginny grimaced at the strengthening potions that sat on the trays. Strengthening Potions were among the worst tasting potions in the hospital wing.

Madam Pomfrey did not miss their looks. She smiled as she added, “If you eat proper meals from now on, you won’t NEED any more strengthening potions. Do I make myself clear?” Harry and Ginny nodded.

“Good! I have spoken to Professor Lupin. He will be coming to see you this afternoon, just after lunch.”

Ginny asked, “Madam Pomfrey, may I eat here, with Harry, so we can talk?”

“You may, Miss Weasley. But if either of you feels tired, I want you to get right back to bed. Sleep is the best thing for you right now.” She retreated to her office.

*****

Ginny waited to hear the door to Madam Pomfrey’s office close. Then she turned to Harry. “Why did you do it, Harry? I know that you don’t have nightmares every night. My stupid nightmares are why you’re not getting enough sleep. It’s my fault you’re sick.” Harry could see the tears begin to run down her cheeks.

“Uh… I … er… Wait a minute — how do you know I don’t have nightmares every night?”

“Well, uh… I… um… No fair — you haven’t answered my question. Why did you tell Madam Pomfrey that I was only staying up to help you?”

“I just did, Ginny. I...” She waited for him to continue. “Just because.”

“Because is not a reason, Harry! Why didn't you tell Madam Pomfrey the truth - that you were staying up to help me with my nightmares?”

She could feel the rage build in him. “Everyone looks at me like I’m either going to break or explode. Everyone treats me like a FREAK!” Harry spat the last word. He took a deep breath and continued, “Even Ron and Hermione do it; they don’t mean to, but they do.” His voice softened almost to a whisper. “You’re the only one who doesn’t. You’re the only one who understands.” Ginny gasped at this admission.

After another deep breath, he resumed, “I see how hurt you are when people treat you like… that. I won’t give them a reason to do it.”

Ginny’s temper flared. “Are you saying I’m weak? Are you saying I need to be protected?”

“How could you even think that?!” he countered, angrily. “You fought Tom Riddle for an entire year and never gave up. I don’t know anyone else who could have done that. You’re really strong, Ginny. This isn’t about that. I don’t like seeing you hurt. If I can prevent it, I will!”

They both glared at each other, neither willing to concede, until finally Ginny drew a deep breath. “I guess I can understand that, Harry. I’d do the same thing for you.”

She thought for a few minutes. “How do you know when I’m going to have a nightmare? Every time I have one and come downstairs to the Common Room, you’re already there. Why is that?”

Harry ducked his head. He was pretty sure Ginny wasn’t going to like his answer. “Isworeanoath.”

“You what?

He sighed. “When we were in the Chamber, I swore an oath to protect you.”

***** In the Chamber of Secrets, May 1993 *****

As Harry watched the ink pour out of the diary, he thought about everything Tom Riddle had told him about Ginny. He knew that Tom had lied about a lot of things, but he also knew that there was some of truth in what he said. Ginny HAD spent the whole year convinced that no one except Tom cared about her. She had fought hard against his possession hoping someone would notice and they ALL had failed her. Harry could not change the past year, but he COULD make sure that it never happened again.

He took Ginny’s hand in his and swore, “Ginny, I promise you’ll never have to face Vold… Tom Riddle alone again. I’ll keep you safe, no matter what. Even if it means doing what my mother did for me.”

Harry heard Ginny moan as he finished his oath. He held her as she woke. Her eyes darted around wildly. He could see the fear in them. Finally her eyes rested on his. She stared at him for a minute while she squeezed the hand that held hers.

As she released his hand, she began to sob, “Harry — oh, Harry — I tried to tell you…”

*****

“You WHAT!?!” she yelled.

That the next thing she said was said in a very low, controlled voice. It scared Harry even more than the yelling. “You did notice the cuts on your hand, right? And the cuts on mine?”

Harry shook his head. “er… No?”

She exploded, “You swore a blood-oath, you pillock! You take it back RIGHT NOW!”

He looked directly at her. “No.”

“What do you mean ‘no’? You take back your oath right now!!” Her anger broke and abject despair replaced it. “I’m not worth it.”

Now it was Harry’s eyes that blazed. “NO!!...” He stopped to let his anger die. “Tom is evil. Because of him, last year everyone was calling me the ‘Heir to Slytherin.’ ... I … Deep down I knew it wasn’t true, but I... I started to believe it. I almost ran away so that everyone would be safe. What he did to you was worse. I won’t let you believe his lies, Ginny! You ARE worth it.”

“And I won’t take my promise back; I won’t say it was wrong. He’s going to come back, Ginny. He will do whatever he has to in order to get his body back. When he does I will be there for you.”

Ginny slowly nodded. “Thank you Harry. I…” She stared at her slippers. “Did you really mean everything you promised?”

He nodded.

“Even… that last bit about what your mother did?”

“Yeah, even that.”

She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. He stared at her as he touched the spot with his fingers. After a minute, his eyes re-focused. He blushed furiously as he scrubbed the spot with the sleeve of his hospital pyjamas. Ginny smirked. “Boys!” she thought.

“You haven’t answered my question yet, Ginny. How do you know I don’t have nightmares every night?”

“Well… um… Isworeanoathtoo.”

“You WHAT?!? You just yelled at me when you did the same thing?!?”

“er… Yeah, I did. But I knew that you were worth it Harry. I… I didn’t think I was.”

“You are! You know that, right?”

“I do now, Harry… I might forget later. Will you remind me if I do? I’ll remind you if you forget.”

Harry nodded. “What did you swear? When?…”

“Do you remember when I squeezed your hand right after I woke up?” He nodded. “That’s when I did it. I promised the same thing you did — that I would never let you face him alone and that I would let Tom kill me if it meant you would be safe.”

“You shouldn’t have done that. You should take your oath back.”

“Why, Harry? I did it for the same reason you did. You won’t take your oath back. Why should I?”

Harry ducked his head and mumbled, “Youdonthaveagrim.”

She smiled at him. “Try that one again, Harry. Slowly this time.”

“You don't have a Grim... I saw a death omen when I left Surrey. I saw it again before the Dementors came into the Quidditch pitch. It’s a big black dog… I’m going to die and nothing can stop it.”

Ginny laughed. “There's no such thing as a Grim, Harry. My mum says so and so does my brother Bill and he's a curse breaker.”

“But I saw a book, at Flourish and Blotts. The picture on the front looked just like...”

“Bill says those books are worthless, Harry. He says that even Guilderoy Lockhart has more sense than to write a book about death omens. You saw a stray dog. I've seen him lots of times this fall; he’s been hanging around the grounds.

***** The Hogwarts Grounds, September, 1993 *****

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon. Ginny picked up Crookshanks and headed out the Portrait Hole. “Let’s go, Crookshanks. I need a break and you need to get away from Ron and Scabbers.”

She found a nice shady tree overlooking the lake and sat down. Crookshanks looked around briefly, gave a loud yowl, and stretched out beside her. She was almost asleep when she felt warm breath on her ear. Startled, she turned to see an enormous, shaggy, black dog. She scratched his ear and he moved to put his head on her legs. Once settled down, he started to — there simply was no other word to describe the sound — snuffle loudly.

Ginny laughed. “I guess I should call you Snuffles, huh?” The dog picked up his head and snorted, then he flopped over on his back. After rubbing his belly for a minute, Ginny reached in her robes. “I knew I had some left over. This is some Rock Cake I got from Hagrid. Maybe your teeth are strong enough to eat it. Or maybe you can just use it as a chew bone.”

They spent the rest of the afternoon pleasantly — Ginny and Crookshanks dozing lightly, and Snuffles gnawing on the Rock Cake.

*****

“I’m not going to die?”

“Not because you saw a big black dog, Harry.”

Ginny looked at him. It was clear he wanted some time to think. She saw him reach over to the nightstand by his bed and pick up two chocolate frogs from the pile left by his visitors. He handed one to her, and ate his.

She continued telling him about Snuffles. “I’ve seen him five or six times in all. He’s a good friend. He loves Rock Cake, so I always carry a piece to give him whenever I go outside. He just lies there, munching on his Rock Cake while I tell him about things. He never judges me or tries to tell me what I should be doing or shouldn’t be doing…” She paused. “You do the same thing, you know — when I have a nightmare you never judge me; you just listen.”

As Ginny finished, Harry turned to put the Chocolate Frog wrapper in the waste bin. As he did, he saw the home-made Get Well card she’d brought last night. He picked it up. She blanched. “Harry, don’t…”

He opened it and heard a voice begin to sing. It was terribly, horribly off-key. Ginny groaned and put her head in her hands. “You can close the card now, Harry. I know it’s awful.” The singing continued. Ginny picked her head up and was about to yell at Harry when she saw his face. He was entranced. Finally, he closed the card and looked at her. “Ginny, that’s the best card I ever got!”

“Harry, you don’t have to pretend. I know it was awful. Please can I have it back and we’ll forget it.”

“Ginny, your card isn’t awful; it’s great and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. First, you took the time to make it for me. You drew a beautiful picture and you did the charm yourself. We’re a whole year ahead of you, and we still haven’t learned how to do it. Where did you learn the charm?”

She blushed. “I saw my mum making a card for my dad. I asked her to show me the charm. But, I got the voice wrong. It sounds awful. Please let me fix it.”

“The voice is the best part, Ginny. You gave it to me even though you knew the voice might be wrong. Why did you do that?”

She refused to meet his eyes. “Becauseiknewyouwouldntmakefunofme” She blushed. He smiled. “That’s why I love it.” He carefully put the card back on his nightstand.

After a minute he looked over at Ginny again. “Can I ask you a question? Why don’t you retaliate against the people who are teasing you about the Chamber and the Dementors? From what Ron tells me, if it was your brothers, they’d be swatting bat bogies away from their noses…”

Ginny thought for a minute. Harry could see her spirit begin to sag. “Because they're right; I deserve...” He was about to speak when he saw a spark grow in her eyes. “You’re right, Harry. I haven’t done anything wrong and I don't deserve to be teased. Starting now, I’m fighting back... Do you want to help me?”

His eyes glowed. “Sure! Do you have any ideas?”

“Well, I do have one, but I need help with it. Can I use one of your Get Well cards?”

He handed one to her. She muttered a quick spell and handed it back. “Now tap the front of the card with your hand.” He did, and heard a sound like a muggle doorbell.

“My dad really loves muggle doorbells. He never could get one to work at The Burrow, so he charmed our front door to make that sound whenever someone knocks. I watched when he did it.”

“That’s brilliant, Ginny. Can you umm… er…”

“Harry, I have six brothers, including Fred and George. There’s nothing you could say that I haven’t heard before.”

“Can you make it float an air biscuit?”

She giggled. She took the card and muttered the spell. Then she stood and placed it on her chair and sat down. “Dad told me all about muggle whoopee cushions.”

Harry laughed. “I guess that’s a yes. It’s a great charm, Ginny. How can I help?”

“How do I use it? I could charm the benches in the Great Hall, but…”

“You want to make a bigger statement, right?”

“Yeah. But how?”

“hmmm… Instead of charming what they sit on… Will it work on… clothes?”

He could see comprehension dawning in her eyes. “Oh, Harry, that’s good! That’s really good!” She directed her wand at the back of her pyjamas and muttered. Then she sat down on her chair. Harry heard a rooster crowing and laughed.

Ginny cancelled the charm. “How do we do it, Harry?”

“Well, if we knew where the laundry was…”

Ginny stood up and went over to her bed. She pulled an old piece of folded parchment from her robes and returned.

“Harry, you have to promise not to tell anyone about this.”

He stared. “You don’t want me telling anyone about an old piece of parchment?”

“No, silly. I don’t want you telling anyone about this…” She touched her wand to the parchment and whispered, “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Harry watched as fine ink lines spread out across the parchment until a very detailed map of Hogwarts castle was completed. At the top of the parchment, he read:

Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs
Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers
are proud to present

THE MARAUDER’S MAP


Harry looked at her, then at the map, then at her again. Ginny snickered, “Gobsmacked, Harry?”

She turned her attention to the map. “See, the laundry is in the basement. It’s not far from the kitchen. We can take this secret passage from the seventh floor and then this deserted hallway, and then this other secret passage. We can do it right after curfew and no one will see us.”

“Brilliant! Let’s do all of the Slytherin robes.”

“I like the way you think, Harry. We’ll use lots of different sounds, but Malfoy gets the air biscuits.”

Harry nodded, then turned back to the map. “What are all the dots?”

“They’re people. The map shows where everyone in the castle is, and where they’re going.” Harry saw the light in Ginny’s eyes dim. He barely could hear her when she added, “I’ve been using it to avoid people… so I didn’t have to face all of the taunts and stares.”

“That’s why we haven’t seen you much, right? You’ve even been avoiding Ron, and Hermione, and me.”

She nodded, glumly, then saw a crushed look on Harry’s face. “Not you, Harry. But, when I look at Ron and Hermione all I see is…” She shuddered and then continued, “…he wants to send me home so I’ll be safe, and she wants to fix me. I can’t stand knowing that I’m a disappointment, so I avoid them.”

Harry nodded and then waited. After a minute Ginny continued, “See, there’s Hermione in the Library. And Ron is in the Common Room with Seamus and Dean and…”

Ginny looked at Harry. “Who’s Peter Pettigrew, Harry?”

“I’ve never heard of him, Ginny. Why would you think that I know who he is?”

“He’s been with Ron most of the term. They’re hardly ever apart. He sleeps in your dorm room every night.”

“Ginny, there are only five beds in our dorm. And I know that no one is…” He blushed fiercely. “… sharing…”

“But there he is on the map, Harry.” She showed him Peter Pettigrew’s dot, right by Ron’s.

“I don’t know how to explain it, Ginny. Unless… Could the map be showing Scabbers?”

“Fred and George said the map doesn’t show pets. I’ve looked at the map a couple of times with Crookshanks next to me. The map didn’t show him. Why would it show Scabbers and not Crookshanks?”

“Maybe there’s something different about Scabbers. Something that makes him show up on the map?... I just thought of something else. Did you know about the sneakoscope Ron sent me for my birthday?”

“Yeah, it drove everyone round the twist; it never shut off. We made Ron send it off as soon as we got back to our rooms.”

“Well, it wasn’t making a sound when I got it. It was silent until…” Harry thought for a minute. “… until Ron got close to it.”

“Are you saying Ron is untrustworthy, Harry? I know he can be a prat, but…”

“No, but he’s always carrying Scabbers in his pocket, isn’t he? Maybe it’s Scabbers. Maybe whatever it is that makes him show up on the map also makes the sneakoscope light up.”

Ginny pondered this and after a minute asked. “Do you have the sneakoscope with you?”

“Yeah, it’s in my robes.”

“Best get it out then, Ron and Hermione will be here in a minute.”

Harry retrieved the sneakoscope, which was dark, from his robes and slipped it under his blanket.

*****

A minute later the two saw Hermione and Ron enter the Hospital Wing.

“Harry, how are you doing? When is Madam Pomfrey going to let you go?” queried Ron. He saw Ginny and turned, without waiting for Harry’s answer. “What are you doing here, Ginny? Why aren’t you upstairs?”

Hermione swatted him on the arm. “Ronald!” She turned to Ginny. “Are you all right? We didn’t know you were here.”

Ginny glared at her brother then answered Hermione, “Madam Pomfrey says I’m exhausted. She wants me to stay the weekend and rest.” She glanced at Harry, who added, “Madam Pomfrey is making me stay too. She didn’t say anything about missing any classes, so we should be out sometime tomorrow.”

“We had no idea,” Hermione cried. “You should have said something. Your health is very important. You need to take care of yourselves. I’ll make sure you get to bed early every night and I can teach about proper nutrition…”

Harry headed her off. “Thanks, Hermione. It’s good to know that we can come to you if we need help.”

He turned to Ron. “Ron, do you have Scabbers with you?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Can I see him for a second?”

“You won’t hurt him, will you? He’s still very peaky.”

“I won’t hurt him, Ron. I’m not going to do anything to him.”

Ron reached in his pocket and pulled out the rat, who was struggling to get free. He handed him to Harry. Harry took Scabbers firmly in his hand.

“Thanks, Ron. Now, I need you to leave the Hospital Wing for just a minute. Just go out the door, wait about a minute and then come back.”

Ron and Hermione looked at Harry. “Please, trust me. Just do it.”

Ron left. After they heard the door close, Ginny looked at the map. “Peter’s with us, Harry and the map shows Ron outside in the hallway.”

Hermione stared at the map. “What’s that, Ginny?”

“I’ll explain later, Hermione. Right now, we need something to put Scabbers in, and you should Impervius it so it can’t break.”

Hermione reached into her book bag and pulled out a folded-up wire cage.

Harry and Ginny smirked. “You just happened to have a rat-sized wire cage in your book bag, Hermione?”

“Ron has been worried about Crookshanks and Scabbers so I got this from Hagrid this morning,” she noted primly.

Harry laughed, “I see. That’s… very nice.”

She blushed and responded even more primly, “I thought so.”

Once the cage was assembled, she pointed her wand and whispered, “Impervius.” Harry was just closing the door on Scabbers when Ron rejoined them.

“Why’s Scabbers in the cage?

Harry pulled out the sneakoscope, which was brightly lit and spinning madly. “That’s why, Ron. The scope was dark before you got here. We think that Scabbers is making it go off.”

“He can’t be, Harry. He’s just a rat. There’s nothing untrustworthy about him.”

“Humour me, Ron. We’ll keep Scabbers here. You take the scope at walk out to the front doors. If the scope stays on the whole way, then I’ll agree that it’s not Scabbers.

“All right, Harry.” He took the scope and walked out. He was back two minutes later. “You’re right, Harry. It went dark just after I got out of the Hospital Wing. What do we do now?”

“I’ll tell you in a minute, Ron.” He turned. “Hermione, when you were looking for information about Sirius Black, did the name Peter Pettigrew come up?”

Hermione’s eyes were wide. “How… How did you know?”

Harry held up the cage and the sneakoscope.

Hermione nodded and reached for her book bag. She pulled out a thick sheaf of notes. “It turns out that Sirius and your father went to Hogwarts together, Harry. In fact they were best mates while they were here; they were almost inseparable. There were two other students that hung around with them — Peter Pettigrew and Remus Lupin. Pettigrew had a nickname…” She looked through her notes. “… Here it is — his nickname was Wormtail.”

Harry was stunned. He caught Ginny’s eye. She looked down at the map and nodded in confirmation.

Hermione continued with her report, “Harry, I’m not sure how to put this… Sirius Black supposedly is responsible for your parents’ deaths.”

“WHAT?!?!” Harry screamed.

Madam Pomfrey peeked out of her office. “Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, if you insist on provoking my patients, I will have to ask you to leave. Mr. Potter, one more outburst like that and I will be forced to give you a Dreamless Sleep potion. You are supposed to be resting. Please do so.” She retreated into her office.

“Sirius Black didn’t kill my parents; Voldemort did. How?...”

“According to the Daily Prophet, Black told Vol...” Hermione hesitated; she knew Ron and Ginny hated the name.

“Use his name Hermione, please.”

She gathered herself. “Black told Voldemort where you lived. Apparently your house was placed under a Fidelius charm. The charm requires a Secret Keeper. Once the charm was cast, only the Secret Keeper could tell anyone where you lived… Sirius Black was the Secret Keeper.”

“That’s how Voldemort knew where to go to kill your parents. According to the article, the next day, Pettigrew tracked down Black, but Black cursed him. The curse killed thirteen people, including Pettigrew. When the Aurors came to arrest him, Black didn’t resist. He was sent to Azkaban immediately and stayed there until he escaped. He was never tried for the murder of your parents.”

Ginny asked, “All that information was in the Prophet?”

Hermione looked around. “er... Not exactly. I… er… might have… um… eavesdropped in the faculty lounge… once… or twice.”

Ginny giggled. “I didn’t know you had it in you, Hermione.”

“Do you have some parchment and a quill, Hermione?” asked Harry.

Hermione reached into her book bag and handed the supplies to Harry.

“Thanks.” “Pettigrew is Wormtail... I’ll bet Professor Lupin is Moony!” he thought. He began to write.

Dear Moony,

We need to see you right away in the Hospital Wing. It’s about Wormtail.

Yours truly,
Harry Potter


*****

As Harry was folding up the parchment, Madam Pomfrey emerged from her office. “Visiting hours are over, Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley.”

As Hermione and Ron turned to leave, Harry handed the scroll to Hermione. “Please give this to Professor Lupin as soon as you see him.”

“I will Harry. You take care of yourself. Get some rest.”

Harry added, “Ron, we’ll take good care of Scabbers.”

The two waved as they left. The door to the Hospital Wing closed as Madam Pomfrey brought out their lunch. “I see that both of you seem to be feeling much better. I’m most pleased. But you’re both still very weak. I want you to eat and drink everything on your trays. Professor Lupin will be by to see you this afternoon right after lunch. Then, I’m going to give you each a small dose of Dreamless Sleep potion. I want you to sleep for the rest of the afternoon.”

They nodded and began eating.

*****

Remus Lupin entered the Hospital Wing just as Harry and Ginny were finishing lunch.

“May I see you briefly before you visit my patients, Remus?” She waved him into her office. “The reason I asked you to stop by is because both Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley are severely exhausted. The Dementors patrolling outside are a big reason for their exhaustion. I remember you reporting that both of them were strongly affected by the ones that entered the Hogwarts Express, and I assume you saw Mr. Potters fall yesterday.” He nodded, sadly.

“I want you to teach them the Patronus charm, Remus.”

“Poppy, you know...”

“I do, Remus. I am not asking you to teach them because I think that either of them will be able to produce a corporeal Patronus — although both have enough talent that it IS possible. I'm asking because they need to be DOING something to fight what is frightening them. Being afraid is bad enough. Being afraid and feeling like there is nothing you can do about it is much worse.”

“Please, Remus, teach them.”

He nodded. “All right, Poppy.”

“Thank you, Remus.”

*****

He approached Harry's bed. “Hello Harry, hello Ginny. I got your note, Harry. You… We do need to talk. But, I understand that there is another reason for me to be here - Madam Pomfrey tells me that you are having problems with the Dementors.”

They nodded dispiritedly. Harry looked down, then raised his eyes. “Professor, why do they affect me... affect us...”

“It's not because either of you are weak — no matter what some people say. Dementors suck all of the good feelings and memories out of your mind, leaving only the worst, most horrible thoughts. For you, those horrible thoughts are… very horrible.

“I hear Voldemort murdering my dad and mum.”

“I hear Tom Riddle telling me I'm going to die”

“Yes. Anyone who heard such things would react the way you do. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

Harry looked at Ginny and spoke, “That helps Professor, thank you. er… You did something on the train to chase the Dementors away. Can you teach us how to do it?”

“Harry, that spell is not normally taught until seventh year, if at all. However, I talked with Madam Pomfrey. She wanted me to teach it to you and I concur with her recommendation — I’ll help you learn it. Before I teach you the spell, though, I want you both to understand - this spell is very advanced magic. There are many adults who cannot perform it. You should not get discouraged if you can't learn it this year. Do you understand?

Harry and Ginny nodded.

“All right, then. The spell is called the Patronus charm. A patronus is... It's like the opposite of a Dementor. It’s pure good and happiness. When a witch or wizard produces one, it drives away any nearby Dementors.”

“The incantation is ‘Expecto Patronum.’ And the wand movement is thus.” He demonstrated.

“Now you try.”

Harry and Ginny waved their wands and shouted “Expecto Patronum!”

They looked disappointed. “Nothing happened, Professor, nothing at all.”

Professor Lupin smiled. “That's because you need one more thing to make the spell work. You need to think of your happiest memory and hold that in your mind as you cast the spell.”

“Let's try it again. Harry, why don't you go first? Are you thinking of your happiest memory?” Harry thought about leaving Privet Drive to stay at the Burrow. He nodded.

“When you have the memory clearly in your mind, cast the spell.”

Harry closed his eyes. After a minute he yelled, “Expecto Patronum!” When he opened his eyes he saw a small silver wisp emerging from the end of his wand.

“Now it's your turn Ginny.”

Ginny closed her eyes and thought about the moment she received her first Hogwarts letter. She made sure she was holding the memory clearly, and yelled, “Expecto Patronum!” There was a very tiny silver wisp at the end of her wand.

“Very good, both of you! I want to keep practicing as much as you can. I'll check on you once a week, after our classes. Next term, we'll see about practicing against a simulated Dementor.”

Remus hesitated for a minute and then added, “But only if you eat regularly, and get enough sleep...”

*****

“Now, about that note, Harry… How did you know to address me as Moony?”

Harry looked at Ginny. “I saw an item that contained a reference to someone named Moony. When the boggart saw you it turned into a moon. I thought that…”

“That was a very good guess, Harry — yes, I am Moony. And Peter Pettigrew is, as you surmised, Wormtail. Do you want to tell me about that item?”

Again Harry looked at Ginny, shook her head very slightly. “Not unless you really need us to, Professor.”

“I don’t think that there is any need… at the moment. If I need more information about the item I will ask. I trust that you will be honest with me. Now, tell me what you know about Peter Pettigrew.”

“We know that my father and Sirius Black were best mates when they attended Hogwarts, and that you and Peter Pettigrew also were their mates. We did a test and verified that…” He showed Professor Lupin the wire cage. “… the er… item shows the location of this rat, and that it thinks that the rat is Peter Pettigrew.” He reached under the blanket for the sneakoscope. “Finally, we know that this sneakoscope goes off whenever the rat is near.”

Professor Lupin reached for the cage. He peered closely at Scabbers, who cringed, trying to get as far from Lupin as he could. “Peter? Is it really you? But you were killed. How?” He turned and cast a spell. A silvery form emerged from his wand. It hovered for a few seconds as he whispered to it, then flew out.

Five minutes later, Professor Dumbledore entered with Professor Snape. “I got your message, Remus. Severus has the Veritaserum. Do you really have Peter Pettigrew?”

Professor Lupin put the cage on Harry’s bed and removed Scabbers. “Would you please do the honours, Albus?” Professor Dumbledore pointed his wand at the rat and muttered a long and complicated incantation. A blue-white flash appeared and Scabbers began to transform. In seconds, a short, balding man stood in front of them.

“Hello, Remus. My dear friend…”

Professor Dumbledore interrupted, “Before you continue, Mr. Pettigrew, I believe that it would be most helpful if Severus gave you some Veritaserum.” Professor Lupin held the man in a surprisingly strong grip, while Professor Snape administered three drops of the potion. Pettigrew’s eyes soon lost focus.

Professor Dumbledore began, “What happened on the day after Lily and James Potter were killed?”

“Sirius Black found me. He knew that I had betrayed the Potters to Lord Voldemort. He was going to kill me. I cast the curse that killed all of those Muggles. Then I turned into a rat and escaped. I left my finger so that you would think I was dead.”

“How did you betray the Potters?”

“I was their Secret Keeper. Sirius persuaded James to switch at the last minute.”

“How is it that you can turn into a rat?”

“I am an unregistered Animagus.”

Professor Dumbledore turned to Lupin and Snape. “Will you please prepare statements confirming what you heard here and how this testimony was obtained?” The two nodded.

Professor Dumbledore turned to Harry and Ginny. “You have corrected a huge miscarriage of justice today, Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley. You have my thanks. I cannot speak for the Ministry of Magic, of course.” He turned to Professor Snape. “Severus I would appreciate your assistance in escorting Mr. Pettigrew to the dungeons until he can be picked up by the Aurors.” Dumbledore bound Pettigrew in magical cords and the three left for the dungeons.

Professor Lupin turned to Harry and Ginny and sighed. “You probably won’t get any recognition from the Ministry for what you did today. Cornelius Fudge will be most reluctant to admit he was wrong about Sirius. For what it’s worth, please accept my thanks too. I was wrong about Sirius for all these years. I’m glad I’ll have a chance to make it up to him.”

“Is there anything else you would like to ask me?”

Ginny responded, “Who were Padfoot and Prongs?”

Professor Lupin looked at Harry fondly. “Prongs was your father, James, Harry…” He turned to Ginny. “… and Padfoot, of course, was Sirius.”

He sat. “When I was a child, before I started at Hogwarts, I was bitten by a werewolf. I never thought that I would have the chance to come here. But Professor Dumbledore convinced the Board of Governors to allow it. When I arrived, I found two of the best friends anyone could ever want — James and Sirius.”

“As a werewolf, I had to be hidden away once a month while I underwent the change. Your father and Sirius decided to learn to become animals so that they could keep me company. It took them three years, but they succeeded. Your father was called Prongs because his animagus form was a huge stag. Sirius was called Padfoot because his form was a large black dog.”

Harry sat, stunned. It was all too much to take in.

Ginny looked at Harry, then turned to Moony. “Professor, I think that Madam Pomfrey wants us to sleep this afternoon. And…” She glanced at Harry. “… I think we need to. Can we see you again tomorrow?

“I’d be delighted, Miss Weasley.”

“There’s one thing I’d like you to do for us, if you would.” She drew him away from Harry’s bed and whispered, “There’s a large black stray dog that has been hanging around the grounds all term; he answers to the name ‘Snuffles.’ I think you’ll probably recognize him. It would be nice if Professor Dumbledore would let him visit tomorrow.”

Professor Lupin sniggered. “Really? Snuffles?!” He struggled to control himself. “I think we might be able to manage that, Miss Weasley.”

“Thank you, Professor. And he really likes Hagrid’s Rock Cakes. I seem to be out, if you could get some?”

At this he roared with laughter. “Addicted to Hagrid’s Rock Cakes! er… Snuffles… will never live this down — I’ll make sure of that. You are a most remarkable girl, Miss Weasley. I’ll be sure to obtain the Rock Cake.” Ginny blushed as he left.

When the doors closed, she knocked lightly on Madam Pomfrey’s door.

“Yes, Miss Weasley?”

“We’re ready for our potions now, Madam Pomfrey.”

***** 8 November 1993 ****

Ginny and Harry had just finished lunch when Professor Dumbledore and Professor Lupin entered the Hospital Wing accompanied by a huge, snuffling black dog. Madam Pomfrey flew out to meet them. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? This dog does not belong in my Hospital Wing Headmaster. Please remove it, IMMEDIATELY!!”

“It most certainly is not my intention to introduce any element into your Hospital Wing, Poppy, that might compromise the recovery of your patients. This animal is a particular friend of Miss Weasley’s and I believe that her recovery would be assisted by allowing him to visit for a short period. I will be sure that he leaves within the hour and that I thoroughly clean the area after he has left. Would it be all right for him to remain under those circumstances?”

She glared at him, but nodded curtly. As she returned to her office, they heard, “Dogs! In my Hospital Wing! I never thought I would see the day!”

“May I have a moment with Snuffles, Headmaster?” Ginny asked.

Dumbledore smiled. “Certainly, Miss Weasley. We shall remain here with Mr. Potter.”

Ginny took Snuffles over to her bed. She knelt on the ground. “Hi, Snuffles… or should I call you Sirius?” The dog head-butted her knocking her off her feet.

After she righted herself, she muttered, “So this is the thanks I get for clearing your name? See if I give you any more Rock Cake.” Snuffles/Sirius lowered his head and whined pitifully. Ginny ruffled his fur. “All right, you’re forgiven. But go easy next time. Now, would you like to meet your godson?” he barked joyfully.

Ginny brought him over to Harry’s bed. “Harry, this is Snuffles. But you can call him… Sirius.”

Harry was stunned. He looked at Ginny, who nodded. Then he checked with Lupin, who also nodded. He leaped out of bed and hugged Snuffles/Sirius. “You’re really my godfather?” The dog nodded fiercely. Harry looked up to Professor Dumbledore. “Can he transform?”

“I’m afraid not, Harry. The Ministry is being stubborn. They’ve removed the Dementors, and the Aurors are not hunting Sirius actively. But he has not been declared innocent publicly. It’s best that he remain in hiding for the time being.” Snuffles whined as Harry petted him. “I hope that this will not be necessary for long, but I don’t want to take any chances.”

I’m afraid we have another slight problem at the moment. You, Harry, are aware that one of our Hippogriffs — Buckbeak — was unfortunate enough to bite Mr. Malfoy. His father has begun proceedings to have Buckbeak destroyed. While I do not think that there is any real need or legal justification for doing so, I am not sanguine about his chance of escaping destruction.” Dumbledore looked down at Snuffles/Sirius. “It would be most unfortunate if Buckbeak, who is tied up right outside Hagrid’s hut, were to escape, don’t you think, Harry.”

Harry looked at Dumbledore, then at Snuffles/Sirius. “Yes, I do, sir. It would be most unfortunate.”

“I’m most pleased to know that you agree with my assessment, Harry. I’m afraid I must be off. I have a great many things to do this afternoon prior to a meeting I have scheduled with Hagrid in my office at 4:00. I hope to see you both back in the Great Hall soon.”

“Thank you, Professor.”

Harry basked in the knowledge that he had a godfather who could now be a part of his life. The allotted hour they had been given sped by. Soon it was time for Professor Lupin and Snuffles to leave.

“Before we go, Harry, Snuffles asked me to give you this.” He handed Harry a small roll of parchment.

“Good bye, Professor. Good bye, Snuffles.” Harry and Ginny waved as they left.

“What did you get Harry?” asked Ginny.

Harry unrolled the parchment and grinned as he read:

I, Sirius Black, Harry Potter’s godfather, hereby give him permission to visit Hogsmeade on weekends.

***** Christmas Day *****

It was midmorning and Ginny Weasley was sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the fire in the Gryffindor Common Room. She was watching the Marauder’s Map intently. Finally she found the two dots for which she had been looking. She watched as they climbed to the seventh floor and entered a very particular hallway. When they vanished abruptly from that Hallway, she walked over to the table where Harry Potter was watching Ron and Hermione play Wizard Chess.

She leaned over and whispered in Harry’s ear, “I have something to show you.” Harry looked at her wordlessly. “Yes, right now, and yes, you’ll like it.”

They tiptoed out of the Common Room.

*****

Minutes later they were standing in front of a door that Harry knew hadn’t been there last week.

“Ginny, what’s going on? I’ve never seen a door across from the Barnabas the Barmy tapestry.”

“Harry, you’re just going to have to trust me. There is a surprise waiting for you in that room. I know that you’re going to love it. Now, go on…”

He looked at her and asked, “Are you coming with me?”

“Not this time, Harry. This time is just for you. If you want to invite me later, I’d love to come.”

He put his hand on the knob and turned.

*****

The room he entered was decorated in Gryffindor colours. The walls were red and all of the trim was gold. There were two squashy couches and several matching armchairs arranged around a fire place. Standing by the fireplace were… Remus Lupin and Sirius Black.

“Happy Christmas, Harry!”

He rushed over to hug the two men. “Sirius, how…? I thought you were in hiding.”

“I am, Harry. But I didn’t want to miss any more Christmases with you.”

Remus added, “I met Snuffles outside and led him up here. No one saw or will see Sirius outside this room.”

“Where are we?”

Sirius smiled broadly and answered, “You are in the Room of Requirement, Harry. It’s a most helpful room. It can become anything you need it to be — a plush bath, a workout room, someplace quiet to study,… a private place to meet one’s godson… anything. You just walk past the tapestry three times, thinking of what you need, and the door will appear.”

He put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and guided him to one of the couches. “Have a seat, Harry, and close your eyes. It’s Christmas present time.”

Harry sat and closed his eyes. A few seconds later, he felt a long, thin package being placed in his lap. “You can open your eyes now.”

The package clearly was a broomstick. “I need a new broom for Quidditch. How did you know?”

Sirius chuckled, “You can thank Ginny. She told me all about how your Nimbus was destroyed.” He continued earnestly, “I’m sorry that I haven’t been here for any of your previous Birthdays or Christmases, Harry. This is for all those days…”

He carefully unwrapped his gift. “You got me a Firebolt?”

“I did.”

“I don’t know what to say — thank you just doesn’t seem to be enough, but…”

“The look in your eyes is all the thanks that I need, Harry. I’ll be watching your last two games this season. I can’t wait to see what you do with this broom.”

Harry could only nod, tears in his eyes.

Sirius continued, “By the way, I’ve seen Ginny fly. She’s almost as good as you are. Do let her try the broom.”

“Ginny flies — I never knew. Ron and I practiced when I stayed at the Burrow last year. She never…”

“Her brothers never let her play, Harry; none of them even know that she flies. She’s secretly been breaking into the family broom shed since she was six.”

*****

The three men spent the remainder of the afternoon in quiet conversation. Finally, Remus stood. “I’m afraid it’s time to end this meeting of the Marauders. Sirius and Harry stood.

“When will I see you again,” asked Harry.

“I’ll come to the room when I can, Harry. Snuffles will let you or Ginny know when I can visit. Speaking of Ginny, I have a present for her — from Snuffles. Would you see that she gets it?” He handed Harry a broom-shaped package with a card attached.

“I will, Sirius”

“One more thing Harry — make sure you practice the Patronus charm; I think it’s the most important spell for you to master. When Voldemort returns, the Dementors will join him. You’ll need to be able to fight them.”

Harry nodded and gave Sirius a final hug. Then he turned to Remus. “Thanks Moony — for everything.”

“You’re welcome, Harry. I’m glad I could help.”

Harry gathered up his Firebolt and Ginny’s present and opened the door to return to the Gryffindor Common Room.

*****

Harry peeked through the portrait hole and saw that Ginny was alone. “How did it go, Harry? Did you have a good time?”

“It was brilliant, Ginny. Where are Ron and Hermione?

Ginny giggled. “Ron insisted on visiting the Kitchen; I suggested that Hermione go along and talk to the house-elves about going on strike for wages.”

“They could get creamed down there.”

“If we’re lucky!” It was several minutes before either could speak again.

Ginny recovered first, and saw the broom Harry was carrying. “Harry, is that really…?”

Harry’s grin split his face. “Yeah, it’s a Firebolt. Do you want to try it?”

Ginny’s eyes went wide. “Really?”

Harry nodded, “Really!”

Her hug almost crushed him. He managed to gasp, “So, I guess you don’t want to see your present?”

She released him, “I get a present?”

“From Snuffles.” He handed her the package.

She carefully removed the card and opened it. It read:

Dear Ginny,

It’s your fault that I’m addicted to Rock Cake and can never again show my face in polite society, but I want you to have this anyway. I hope that you enjoy it. Especially with Harry.

Love,
Snuffles


She collapsed on the couch laughing. She handed the card to Harry as she began to open her gift.

Ginny’s eyes grew wide. “It’s a Cleansweep 7!” Joy lit her face. “Can I use Hedwig to send a thank you note to Snuffles?”

“We’ll go up this afternoon. But first, can you Seek?”

“Yeah; why?”

“I think that it would help me if I could practice against someone. Would you like to start practicing with the team… as a reserve?”

“Harry, do you really think I’m good enough?”

“Sirius does. I’ll talk to Wood as soon as he gets back. Maybe you can practice with the Chasers too.”

Before he knew it, he was caught in another crushing hug and then he felt Ginny give him a kiss on the cheek. “Ginny!” He looked around to make sure no one had seen.

Ginny’s hands went to her hips and she glared. “Get used to it, Harry. I do it to my brothers, and I WILL do it to you.” Chastened, Harry nodded obediently. Mrs. Weasley hadn’t looked that fierce when she caught the twins stealing the Ford Anglia.

“umm... There’s something else — Sirius told me that he wants me to make learning the Patronus charm a priority. He says it’s probably the most important charm for me to learn. Will you practice with me?”

She nodded and then fixed him with THE GLARE again. Meekly, he presented his cheek and she kissed it.

The next term was going to be a very good term!
Reviews 27
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear