Search:

SIYE Time:13:18 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Finding Us
By Kezzabear

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: General
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 377
Summary: Ginny Weasley did not bring her wand anywhere anymore. There wasn’t any point ... Harry Potter didn’t really live anywhere. He hadn’t really lived since Ginny Weasley walked out of his life.
Hitcount: Story Total: 118185; Chapter Total: 9231
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Hi! The thesis is done! Yay!

Now I just have to find a job ROFLOL




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


It was odd the way Ron reacted to finding Ginny in Harry’s flat at six o’clock in the morning. At least Ginny thought so. It was hard to know what Harry thought because he was still asleep. She eyed her brother warily as he wandered into Harry’s kitchen, where she sat, staring at the kettle, unable to get it to heat up. Her brother stopped and looked at her silently for a moment. He didn’t say anything. He didn’t even look like he thought anything.

“Want a cuppa?” Ron asked.

Ginny just nodded and Ron picked the kettle up and walked to the tap. Ginny watched him fill the kettle hesitantly and set it on the stove. He looked sideways at her before he flicked his wand under the kettle. Then he began to rummage in the cupboard over the range, pulling out two chipped mugs and a bent teaspoon. He stood in the middle of the kitchen, scanning the room and tapping his fingers on his leg. Ginny wondered what he was looking for and why he didn’t summon it. She waved her hand erratically out over the kitchen floor.

Accio,” Ginny said.

Ron stared at her.

“It’s the Summoning spell,” Ginny said.

She smirked at him.

Ron grumbled and pulled his wand out. He summoned two tea bags, the sugar and a carton of milk. They wobbled to a stop on the kitchen table. Ginny put the tea bags in the chipped mugs and lifted the lid on the sugar canister. Carefully, she spooned two sugars into her mug and four into Ron’s. She wondered why he didn’t know where anything was in Harry’s kitchen. She wondered why he was looking around curiously. She wondered how he got in. She wondered why he wasn’t yelling at her for sitting at Harry’s kitchen table in nothing but Harry’s old Gryffindor T-shirt.

She wondered why he was smiling.

Ginny stared at the tea bags as they sat steeping in the chipped mugs from Harry’s cupboard. Ron jiggled his tea bag a little bit. Ginny stared at the mugs. She was pretty sure they came from The Burrow. From her mum’s old brown, earthenware dinner set. The teaspoon looked like one of the set her dad had brought home after work one day when he’d been unable to stop the teaspoons hitting a Muggle on the nose. Her dad finally got the spell work off but they’d been twisted beyond recognition. Fred and George had fixed them, but they’d all been a little bent since.

A bit like Ginny really.

She wasn’t beyond recognition anymore but she still felt a little bit awkward. Her hair was slowly going back to red but she still couldn’t pick up her wand. She could go back home but she couldn’t fly on her own. She could sit in Harry’s kitchen but she couldn’t heat his kettle. She felt more like Ginny but she still wasn’t herself.

“Breakfast?” asked Ron.

Ginny didn’t know if he was asking her to make it or if she wanted some. So she just shrugged. Ron sat at Harry’s kitchen table. Stirring his tea with the bent teaspoon. Staring out of the kitchen window. Drumming his fingers on the top of the table. Tapping his foot on the floorboards. Shifting restlessly. Ron kept moving.

And all the while Ginny felt frozen in place.

That was how Harry found them. Sitting at his kitchen table, staring at chipped mugs full of cold tea. He stood in the doorway and scratched the back of his neck nervously. Ron pretended like nothing was unusual. He said something about going into work. And something about missing pudding. And something about Hermione. And something about Tonks.

But Ginny didn’t hear any of it.

Especially when Harry walked past her and leaned down to drop a kiss on top of her head. And Ron didn’t even flinch. (Although he did make a sort of strangled sound like the time Weston Price had thrown up on Ginny’s shoes.) He did tell Harry he should wear a shirt. And Harry just told him Ginny had it. (And Ron was adamant Ginny keep it.) And Ron nodded his head vigorously.

“You should go along,” Ron said.

Ginny had no idea what he meant. But Harry and Ron were both looking at her expectantly. (Harry’s hair was all rumpled and Ginny found it terribly hard to concentrate.) So she just nodded and hoped whatever she agreed to was a good idea. Harry took her home after that. Because they both had to go to work. And be apart.

And Ginny couldn’t think of anything she wanted less.

*********************

It was odd the way Ginny reacted when Tonks answered the electric doorbell. At least Harry thought so. It was hard to know what Tonks thought because she didn’t say anything. Harry and Ginny followed Tonks into her kitchen, where she stopped, flicking on the light switch, the fluorescent light flickering harshly. Ginny stopped and looked around silently for a moment. She didn’t say anything. She didn’t even look like she thought anything.

“Want a cuppa?” Tonks asked.

Ginny just nodded and Tonks started making tea. Ginny watched her fill the kettle and plug it in. She pressed the switch. It started with a little click. Then Tonks pulled out three dainty china cups and three shiny teaspoons. She got out scones. And a sugar bowl. And a milk jug. Harry wondered why Tonks used dainty china cups.

“Why?” Ginny asked.

Tonks stared at her.

“Why aren’t you doing magic?” Ginny asked.

Tonks turned away.

Harry shoved his hands in his pockets. He wondered if it was such a good idea, to bring Ginny here, to see Tonks. The kettle whistled and the water bubbled out of the spout before it spluttered to a stop. The switch clicked off automatically. Ginny jumped. Tonks concentrated on making tea. The Muggle way. Like Molly said she always did. Harry wondered why she didn’t use magic. He wondered why she was avoiding Ginny’s question. He wondered if she always avoided it. He never knew if she couldn’t or if she didn’t want to.

He wondered why Tonks was crying.

Harry stared at the tea bags as they sat steeping in the dainty china teacups that didn’t suit Tonks. Tonks stirred her tea. Ginny stared at the kettle. Harry was pretty sure the kettle came from The Burrow. From Arthur’s shed. It looked just like the one he’d been helping Arthur fix. It had been broken once. Now it whistled cheerily.

A bit like Harry really.

He didn’t feel the empty hole inside his chest where his heart used to be. His ribs didn’t stick out anymore. His hair didn’t hang limply in his eyes anymore. His eyes shone brightly. He felt more like himself than he had in years.

“Scone?” asked Tonks.

Harry nodded. Even though he knew Tonks had probably made them herself. The Muggle way. And they’d probably resemble Hagrid’s rock cakes. Tonks was restless. Stirring her tea incessantly. Nodding her head to a soundless beat. Drumming her fingers on the bench top. Tapping her foot on the cracked linoleum. Shifting endlessly. Tonks kept moving.

And all the while Ginny was frozen in place.

This was not how it was supposed to go. Standing in the kitchen, staring at dainty china teacups full of cold tea. Harry stood in the doorway and scratched the back of his neck nervously. Tonks pretended like nothing was unusual. She said something about Harry’s work. And something about Remus. And something about her broken heart. And something about her wonky magic.

And Harry held his breath.

But Ginny was shaking her head. And made a sound like a cat squeaking. (Although she might also have sounded like Penelope Washburn before she fainted the time a mouse ran across her desk.) Tonks held Ginny’s hand. And spoke to her earnestly. And Harry hoped this was the answer. (Ron thought it was.) And Ginny shook her head sadly.

“I can still do magic,” Tonks said.

Harry was surprised. Because everyone said Tonks never did magic anymore. (Not since Remus had died.) She held out her hand and Harry gave her his wand. She made the teacup levitate about an inch. It fell down and broke. Tonks gave Harry his wand back and said she just didn’t want to anymore. Since Remus. Because her heart was hurting too much. Ginny said her magic didn’t work at all anymore and her heart wasn’t broken. And she looked at Harry sadly. And Harry knew it wasn’t the same as Tonks.

And Harry couldn’t think of anything to make it better.
Reviews 377
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear